tdr112morning all11:25
tdr112i am trying to find out why one of my server stopped working last night11:25
tdr112where would be the best place to start11:25
slashtommythe entire server died or just a daemon?11:26
tdr112it stopped talking to me , no ssh , http any thing11:27
tdr112dont think any thing wrong in syslog or messages11:28
slashtommyhave you console access?11:29
tdr112i rebooted it so its all back up now11:29
tdr112turned it off and on11:30
slashtommywould have been interesting to go in on the console11:30
slashtommyphysical server or VM11:30
tdr112physical server11:32
slashtommytis always handy to have a tty available11:37
ebelif you have some graphs or monitoring you might be able to find out11:38
ebelsometimes  'stopped working' could just mean 'went really really slow'11:38
ebeli.e. a high load, e.g. 100, would make a server essentially unresponsive.11:38
ebelif you had graphs of load you might see the load grow over time before it went dark11:39
tdr112i dont have graphs on the load11:39
slashtommytdr112: time to argue the case for nagios3 monitoring and munin logging11:41
ebelor accept that the gods frowned on you11:44
ebelTis amazing how much of professional downtime is just left at "i dunno"11:44
tdr112i will have to come up with something i have to fill out a report11:45
slashtommybe honest, "server requires monitoring"11:48
slashtommyif you do not highlight the deficiencies, no resources will ever be allocated to change11:51
ebel"I cannot answer the question with what we have now."11:55
ebelYou know about "technical debt"? It's a debt you owe to future you when you take shortcuts. It'll usually come back and make you pay later.11:56
ebelOr y'know browse the jargon file and come up with someting :)11:59
tdr112how do you add a user to the sudoers list16:12
ebelyou add them to a group16:17
ebeli think it's the admin group16:17
tdr112i think i will just add them to /etc/sudoers16:20
ebelyou can see in '/etc/sudoers' what groups are allowed, e.g. admin16:31
ebelor sudo16:31
ebeltdr112: if you edit /etc/sudoers, be sure to use visudo or something16:32
ebelOtherwise you can really mess things up16:32
ebelbecause if there is a syntax error in /etc/sudoers, then you can't sudo, and you need to be root to edit that file and fix the mistake16:32
ebelI got stuck with that once.16:32
ebelremember if you change the group someone is in, they may need to log out/log in again for it to have affect16:33
tdr112i think the group is the better way to do it17:14
tdr112adduser -g username admin17:15
ebelor "usermod -a -G admin $USERNAME"17:16
slashtommywe were both late home, so only just getting chance to sit down to dinner in a few mins20:37
slashtommywe may be in for the meeting just a few minutes late20:37
airurandogood evening all20:57
imgarysmithhello Bpb10120:59
airurandohi Bpb101 and imgarysmith21:00
imgarysmithhi mike, how's life?21:01
airurandonot too bad now and yourself?21:01
imgarysmithah grand, surviving21:01
airurandohi ebel21:02
infoturtlehi all21:03
airurandohi infoturtle and slashtommy21:03
imgarysmithhey andru21:03
infoturtlehey airurando imgarysmith and again all, are we all well??21:03
ebelright shall we start the irc meeting?21:03
slashtommyyes, lets21:03
ebelor we could wait a few mins to let others turn up21:04
airurandostart and let others join in I reckon.21:04
infoturtleI'm good to go when ever21:04
ebelalright, shall I chair?21:04
airurandoinfoturtle very well21:05
airurandoebel please do21:05
meetingologyMeeting started Wed Nov 16 21:05:11 2011 UTC.  The chair is ebel. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AlanBell/mootbot.21:05
meetingologyAvailable commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired21:05
ebelwelcome to the nov. 2011 orc meeting21:05
ebelhere's the agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/IRCMeetings/2011-11-1621:05
ebel#link https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/IRCMeetings/2011-11-1621:05
infoturtleA meeting for Orcs?21:05
ebelPLease say PRESENT if you're here21:06
Bpb101Present and new21:06
infoturtlehello Bpb101 and welcome21:06
ebelBpb101: welcomer21:06
* ebel is not having luck with hitting the right keys today :P21:07
ebel#topic Review of previous action items21:07
ebel[topic] Review of previous action items21:07
* ebel is unsure if he's using meetingology correctly, aren't you supposed to get a PM when you do a command?21:07
ebelanyways, anyone wanna say anything on this topic?21:07
infoturtlewhat were the previous actions?21:08
airurandolast one I think related to ebel mailing the list re CDs21:08
airurandono other actions I believe21:08
ebelyep, cds are next topic.21:08
airurandoyip move on21:09
ebel#topic Report on Oneric CD Distribution21:09
ebelas you know we got ~250 cds from canonical of offical professionally manufactured cds of 11.1021:09
ebelfor distrubution around ireland21:10
infoturtleHave many claimed them yet?21:10
ebelI've emailed the mailing list and gotten some replies for worthy causes21:11
* slashtommy suggests an Ubuntu Hour next weekend to distribute them21:11
ebelI have given ~ 10ish to benchapman/thejetset for codedojo21:11
ebeland similar left some at TOG, the dublin hackersapce21:11
imgarysmithebel I emailed you a few mins ago about it21:11
ebelI'll need to email people who replied already and ask them to send me a SAE so I can send them21:11
ebel(If you're outside dublin)21:12
infoturtleCan do21:12
ebelinside dublin, i presume a physical meetup would be easiest for all around21:12
infoturtleThere's a few places I wish to drop them off to21:12
ebelSo if you think you could use some cds, email me: rory@technomancy and tell me what you'd do with them21:12
ebeluptake has been less than last time alas21:12
airurandoebel, infoturtle I should be able to drop some to Limerick early December21:13
ebelsome good news: the folks in limerick co.co. are still using ubuntu, so I'll send some down there21:13
infoturtleis that technomancy.ie or .com?21:13
ebelinfoturtle: .org21:13
ebel(or yeah, forgot to include a TLD :P )21:13
ebelso email me: rory@technomancy.org21:13
ebelAny questions? comments? feedback?21:14
infoturtlehow much postage should I cover?21:14
infoturtlesorry, just saw airurando, that would be great if you could21:15
ebelI'm not sure. I posted them last time in a postoffice and your one weighed them and said diue to size that it was a 'small parcel'21:15
ebelthink it was €1.50 maybe....21:15
ebelor €221:15
infoturtleah grand21:15
ebeldeffo sub €521:15
ebel(shame there's no easy way to get refund on unused stamps...)21:16
ebelanything else?21:16
ebel#action ebel to reply to people already contacted wrt to cds21:16
meetingologyACTION: ebel to reply to people already contacted wrt to cds21:16
ebelOnce I've distributed some CDs, we'll see how many are left, maybe another ask the list situtation21:17
ebel#topic Wiki vs LoCo Team Portal from airurando21:17
ebelairurando: care to take it away?21:17
airurandothanks ebel21:17
airurandoCan we drop recording event and meeting details on the Wiki? We have been dual recording these details on the Wiki and in the LoCo Team Portal (formerly the LoCo Dir) for several months now.21:18
slashtommyaye, i highlighted this problem over a year ago21:18
airurandoaye slashtommy21:19
slashtommyhave one place for events, and everything else points to the one source21:19
infoturtleseems like a good idea, no need for more than one copy21:19
slashtommyexactly, same goes for facebook and google+21:19
airurandobut I was happy to run then in parallel until we were sure the LoCo Team Portal was for us.21:19
* ebel is relatively disinterested in the outcome, and sees no massive difference between the two21:20
slashtommygrand, it's decided then21:21
airurandocool wiki dropped21:21
ebel#agreed IrishTeam wiki page to be deleted21:21
ebel#agreed IrishTeam wiki page to be abandoned21:21
slashtommypoint it to the loco21:21
ebel#topic Adding admins to facebook page or and RSS updater21:22
ebelfrom infoturtle21:22
infoturtleYa, time is no longer my friend and maybe if we had more admins to post events and such on facebook then user there would get more from it21:22
infoturtleI can be quite forgetful too and just forget to add things21:23
slashtommyinfoturtle: see above21:23
infoturtleat the moment I'm the only one who can use facebook as the Ubuntu-ie page21:23
slashtommyhave one place for events, and everything else points to the one source21:23
* ebel has no problem being a facebook admin, but cannot really commit to doing much actually with it21:24
infoturtleindeed, I'm saying my problems is not being able to update the page, unless I do it via auto RSS21:24
airurandoslashtommy you know there are people who use facebook but not the loco21:24
ebelwonder if you can pull stuff in from L.D.21:24
infoturtlevia rss you can21:24
infoturtleI have an account for one of those auto feed I could just like if that's cool with everybody21:24
airurandoinfoturtle I'd be happy to be an admin also21:25
infoturtle*link instead of like21:25
infoturtleairurando fantastic21:25
ebelrss sounds like it might solve a lot of problems?21:25
slashtommyairurando: i suggest linking to the LD21:25
slashtommyfrom the facebook page21:25
airurandocan we do that?21:25
airurandoif so who will do that?21:26
infoturtleI wouldn't know how to link to the LD21:26
* ebel hopes there's just an RSS feed somewhere21:26
airurandoidentica can post to twitter and twitter then to normal facebook accounts (not sure about group pages)21:27
* ebel is unsure21:28
infoturtleairurando, could be perfect if it did21:28
airurandoI suppose the topic was simply to add more admins21:28
infoturtlewill I check that out and if not link an RSS to it and make airurando admin anyway?21:29
airurandoare we drifting21:29
ebelwell perhaps, but would sorting out auto rss remove the need for more admins?21:29
airurandocan we do that in the context of this meeting?21:30
ebelinfoturtle: your call, you're admining it now.21:30
infoturtlehandy to have more anyway so it's not just me as admin. Just in case anything needs to be added or changed21:30
ebelwanna make it easy for you, just put me, and I presume, airurando down as admins21:30
infoturtlecool, will do then21:30
ebelwanna do a long term solution, then figure oiut some rss?21:31
ebel#topic A google + page? from infoturtle again21:31
infoturtleya, now that g+ allows pages I see an awful lot of locos starting pages21:32
infoturtledo we want one or is what we have enough?21:32
ebelyou wanna set one up?21:32
airurandoI think we shoud generate one and park it until we sort it all out.21:33
airurandowhatever the major social platforms are we should have a presence.21:33
infoturtleI can do ya, but g+ doesn't support multi admins yet21:33
imgarysmithIt can't be any harm having one, spread the Ubuntu love21:33
infoturtleso if I do it it'll just be me till they allow it21:33
slashtommyinfoturtle: if you want to set one up, go for it21:34
* ebel would have no problem with that personally21:34
airurandofine by me21:34
infoturtlecool, I'll part it for now and see how it takes21:34
ebel#topic AOB?21:34
infoturtlegod dam typing skills21:34
slashtommyubuntu hour?21:35
airurando02 Dec 11?21:36
airurandoczajkowski is home I think?21:36
slashtommylaura is here!21:36
ebel#topic Ubuntu Hour21:36
slashtommygood plan, i will consult czajkowski arrange a date/location and tell everyone21:37
airurandoI've 2 more things21:37
airurandoteam reports21:37
airurandomeeting structure and schedule21:38
airurandoebel can you #topic the first21:39
ebel#topic team reports21:39
airurandowe haven't published a team report since August21:39
airurandotdr112 is our lead on this but he is very busy.21:40
airurandoI've been chatting to hime and I had hoped he would be here.21:40
ebeloh yes, tdr112's been working lots21:40
airurandoduring our chats he stated he would look for new blood to help with the team reports.21:40
airurandowas gonna ask here.21:41
airurandoThe Reports were a great help for our reapproval application during the Summer.21:41
airurandoTo drift away from them is not good.21:41
airurandoany volunteers?21:42
infoturtleI'm quite tied as it is but if no one else does I can try21:43
infoturtleit would be a shame to see that part just fall off21:43
* ebel probably won't have time...21:43
airurandoI've helped a bit in the past but I was hopeing someone else could chip in21:43
infoturtlewill we put it to the mailing list?21:45
ebelprobably best21:45
infoturtlein case someone not present would like to try it21:45
airurandoI'd like tdr112 to lead this21:45
airurandoansd that is prob a goo idea infoturtle21:45
airurandomove on21:46
airurandomeeting structure/schedule21:46
ebel#topic meeting structure/schedule21:46
airurandodo we need to introduce more flexibility into our scheduling?21:47
airurandoI championed the 3rd Weds idea but is it working?21:47
infoturtleWell all here may say it suits, we need that people that can't make it to comment on this21:48
ebelTBH something that annoyed me with the meeting was the length (usually 1½ hrs), rather than day time21:48
* ebel has no objection to weds or other nights21:48
airurandoAre folks happy toI hear you ebel21:48
* ebel slightly prefers the 9pm, gives time for dinner etc.21:48
imgarysmith9pm suits me better too21:48
airurandome three21:49
infoturtleI good with it21:49
airurandoinfoturtle it was mentioned on the mailing list and the response was nil21:49
infoturtlefair nuff21:49
infoturtlecan't do more for them so21:49
airurandook stick with 3rd Weds and 9pm21:49
ebelno objections, so stick with it. :)21:50
airurandoall done here21:50
ebel#agreed keep irc mweewtin same21:50
ebel#topic AOB?21:50
airurandonot here21:50
infoturtlenot from me anyway21:50
meetingologyMeeting ended Wed Nov 16 21:51:04 2011 UTC.21:51
meetingologyMinutes:        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-ie/2011/ubuntu-ie.2011-11-16-21.05.moin.txt21:51
infoturtlejust a link to the G+ page if anyone wants it21:51
airurandounder an hour21:51
infoturtlenow for more tea and samages21:51
airurandothanks ebel21:51
imgarysmithnow for the Google Music event21:52
infoturtleimgarysmith there's a google music event?21:52
imgarysmithyup, youtube.com/androiddevelopers21:53
imgarysmithstarts at 10, announcing new stuff21:53
infoturtleaw :c21:53
infoturtlecan't watch it tonight21:53
imgarysmithwrong url, youtube.com/android21:53
imgarysmithinfoturtle, they post the stream as a video at the same url after the show21:54
infoturtlecool, I'll check it out after poker so21:55
infoturtlefor now, take care everybody21:55

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!