infinityI'd rather see a "patch to make Replaces work the way it intuitively should" before anything dealing with :"teaching people what Conflicts means". :)12:01
infinity(ie: if I install B, then A, and B replaces A, the file overlaps should select the file from B, not A)12:02
seb128if B replaces A and you install B first and the A you get a file conflict12:03
KeybukI think what infinity is trying to describe is the fact that dpkg doesn't back-depend12:04
KeybukA depends B > 2.012:04
Keybukinstall A and B 2.012:04
Keybukinstall B 1.012:04
seb128hum ? no, doesn't work12:04
Keybuksure it does12:04
Keybuktry it :p12:05
lamont_rseb128: mind you, it _shouldn't_...12:05
seb128I mean with apt it doesn't work :)12:05
seb128I've not tried with dpkg, but I believe you :p12:05
Keybukdunno about APT, that's mdz's toy12:05
Keybukbut dpkg will let you do that12:05
Keybukbecause it only considers the dependencies of the packages you've given it to process12:06
infinityKeybuk : No, I'm talking actual replaces.12:06
Keybukit doesn't go through the system and check that previously-installed packages' dependencies aren't broken12:06
Keybukinfinity: it's the same bug12:06
Keybukwhen you install A, it doesn't go through the system to see if anything Replaces it.12:06
infinityAhh, yeah.12:06
infinitySame bug probably, then. :)12:06
shayaKeybuk: so you're saying dpkg needs apt's dependency handeling logic12:07
Keybukshaya: no idea whether apt's works or not12:07
infinityI first noticed it when I used to run Woody systems with the "dselect" package installed from an old sid snapshot.12:07
infinityIf you reinstalled dpkg.deb, it would overwrite /usr/bin/dselect, despite 'dselect' replacing 'dpkg'.12:08
infinity(Which was irritating, because the newer dselect sucked a lot less)12:08
seb128BTW time to sleep12:09
seb128'night everybody12:09
Keybuknite dude12:09
=== mvo_ [~Michael@suprimo-211.ping.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== shaya tries to figure out where seb128 is
shaya5 hours ahead?12:10
shayaor 6?12:10
Keybuk1 hour ahead12:11
MithrandirUTC+1, so it's 00:10 here now.12:11
sjoerdit's 0:11 over here (and in france too)12:11
shayaKeybuk: I'm an imperialistic washington, DC native, so hence 6 hours ahead (as DC is the center of the world, or so they brainw, I mean taught us as kids)12:13
Keybukwith such geography, it's amazing the Merkins get *anywhere*12:13
Mithrandirshaya: giving relative time references based on anything else than UTC gives people headaches. :)12:14
shayaMithrandir: but they taught us that EST was the real universal time :)12:14
Keybukthe Earth is a *spheroid* ... the centre is roughly the same distance from everywhere in a downward direction12:14
MithrandirKeybuk: give or take a few clicks, yes. :)12:15
Keybukyou can only be "the centre of the world" if you're in a notably crackful, but rather fun, blockbuster of a few years ago12:15
shayaKeybuk: do you put it pass GWB to try and get there just to say it?12:16
shayahmm, just noticed, those initials are also used for the George Washington Bridge12:16
shayamaybe that's where he was conceived :)12:16
Keybuk"My fellow Umbrella-stands.  I have decidified to embark on a great and dangerous journey to the centrofold of the Earth."12:16
=== lamont_r wanders off for a bit
=== Crushed_Cigar [~zinc@ACC5649A.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== gicmo [~gicmo@pD9545227.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jdubyo gicmo 01:36
jdubsladen: around?01:37
=== gicmo is closely reading https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/USplash
jdubgicmo: when sladen is around, we should ask him where it's at :)01:41
Keybukjdub: he's awake01:41
=== jdub sends an ICBK in sladen's direction
jdubyou can't put parameters in /etc/modules, can you?01:43
jdubthat's a bummer01:43
Keybukactually, I like01:43
KeybukI lie too01:43
Keybukyou can01:43
jdubide-cd dma=101:44
Keybukecho "options ide-cd dma=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/ide-cd01:44
Keybukwould be more "robust", as it'd also ensure that option happened if hotplug or jdub loads it01:45
sladengicmo: evening01:51
gicmosladen, it's almost 2pm here so morning would be better ;)01:53
gicmosladen, I definitly wanna help out with the graphical boot stuff (I just switched over from fedora and I really miss it) :)01:53
=== spotter [~spotter@user-0ccembr.cable.mindspring.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sladengicmo: your welcome to help and join in (we'd like your ideas too)01:56
Keybukjdub: I wish there were a way of having separate volumes01:56
Keybukso rather than all this "PCM" nonsense, you just set the volume for gaim, the volume for rhythmbox01:56
gicmobtw .. I took me 3 hours to get acpi up and running here .. :(01:56
Keybukthen you can have loud music, without BRING!(*"($*!"&*$!&$*(!"$_$ every time you get a message <g>01:56
sladengicmo: there was some code written at the last conference, which I promised I'd package up for the #debsplash guys01:57
gicmosladen, ahh some code is always a good starting point ;)01:58
=== spotter is now known as shaya
=== moyogo [~moyogo@HSE-Sherbrooke-ppp78413.qc.sympatico.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
gicmoOk, blog updated .. 02:33
gicmochecking mail and then to bed .. damn its 2.30 am already ..02:33
=== lupus_ [~lupus@kn-ivl-2.kuleuven.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lamont3 [~adam@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamont3daniels/fabbione around?02:55
=== lamont3 grumbles, kicks xserver-xorg, sends the nice user to the other room to get the mdetect-loving monitor
=== FTTP [FTTP@207-38-252-211.c3-0.wsd-ubr1.qens-wsd.ny.cable.rcn.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== moyogo [~moyogo@HSE-Sherbrooke-ppp78413.qc.sympatico.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== calc [~ccheney@ip70-185-2-220.ma.dl.cox.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== shaya [~spotter@user-0ccembr.cable.mindspring.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
shayainteresthing thing I've noticed.  If you do set a root password, many things that ask you for a root password don't take it, but want your user password (ala sudo)04:37
shayai know why you do sudo, but it seems once a root password is set all those things are buggy, as they do ask for the root password04:37
shayafor example, run aptitude as a regular user, it asks for the "root" password04:38
jdubthat's unrelated to whether you have a root password set or not04:40
jdubwe just didn't bother fixing it to use sudo04:41
=== jamesh [~james@203-59-50-191.dyn.iinet.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
tsenglo jdub 04:51
jdubmorning tseng 04:53
shayajdub: confused?05:01
shayaaptitude does use sudo05:01
shayabut it asks for root password05:01
shayaso root password doesnt work05:01
shayaneed to use user password05:01
jdubsounds like it wasn't a fully fixed bug, then05:05
shayaso it's something I should file?05:07
shayathere was a bug filed and closed05:11
shayareopened it05:11
=== steved [~steve@static24-72-77-242.regina.accesscomm.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
hornbeckjdub: you around?06:01
hornbeckthe Ubuntu in a Nutshell06:01
hornbeckwhat are you looking for in it06:02
jdublong discussion06:02
jdubi'll mail ubuntu-doc or you or something06:02
hornbeckok, have you seen our book outline?06:02
jdubbits, haven't investigated a lot06:02
jdubseems different to the nutshell goals06:02
hornbeckright, if you could mail me what you are looking for 06:03
hornbeckhornbeck at freeshell dot org06:03
=== winkle_ [~winkle@lgh3814234.vittran.norrnod.se] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== steve [~steve@static24-72-77-242.regina.accesscomm.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== kylem [~kyle@CPE0030ab0b413b-CM023469906297.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mjg59 [mjg59@cavan.codon.org.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== chrisa [~chris@nullcode.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== TerminX [~terminx@terminx.envision7.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== maswan [maswan@kennedy.acc.umu.se] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== amu [~amu@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== azeem [~mbanck@lxsrv1.lrz-muenchen.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== winkle_ is now known as winkle
=== pitti [~martin@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbionemorning guys08:32
pittiHi fabbione!08:34
sladenhornbeck: 'what is sudo', 'why did they rename kernel-sources', 'I heard mp3 ain't legal, where do I get my warez?'08:41
=== lifeless [~robertc@dsl-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sjoerdpitti: could you check the new device-removable.sh script to see if i haven't done anything stupid09:24
pittiHi sjoerd 09:25
pittiyes, I can09:25
pittiFrom a quick glance it seems that you do something similar as pmount09:25
pittisjoerd: do you have the file at hand somewhere?09:25
sjoerdno svn checkout ?09:25
pittisjoerd: svn checkout lasts so long...09:26
pittisjoerd: okay, I'll check it out09:26
sjoerdalioth is somewhat overloaded it seems....09:27
pittisjoerd: debian/patches looks nice again :-)09:27
pittisjoerd: and I suppose with your merges the Ubuntu version shouldn't look much worse09:27
sjoerdyou mean in gvm ? there were no changes in hal's debian/patches09:28
pittino, I actually meant hal09:31
pittiUbuntu's debian/patches in hal is pretty crowded now09:31
sjoerdah right09:31
pittiI looked at the script, but it is too complex for me to be able to say yes or no after two minutes :-)09:31
sjoerdyou have somewhat more time 09:32
pittiI will scrutinize it more thoroughly after I fixed samba09:32
sjoerdjust want to be sure that stupid things are out of it before i sent it to md09:32
sjoerdmy shell programming skills suck09:32
pittibtw, do you publish the orig.tar.gz tarballs somewhere?09:33
pittifor PostgreSQL I just put them into the top repository directory09:33
sjoerdpitti: why did you put ubuntu-storage-policy.fdi in /etc instead patching the one in /usr/share 09:33
sjoerdwithout tarball.mk it's just the upstream tarball09:34
pittisjoerd: because I want the users actually be able to customize it09:34
pittisjoerd: changes in /usr/share are lost on next upgrade09:34
sjoerdok, but the can always put something like this in /etc 09:35
pittisjoerd: and I think it is nicer to give users something to change, instead of urging them to write a conffile from scratch09:35
sjoerdso it's more an example 09:35
sjoerdk, good point09:35
pittisjoerd: hmm, I don't insist on my solution09:35
pittisjoerd: if you want to adopt the change for Debian as well, I don't need the etc file any more09:35
pittisjoerd: if you want to keep 2GB, fine for m09:35
sjoerdi was gonna put an example in /etc anyway, to show how people can indicate that gvm shouldn't automount certain drives09:36
pittisjoerd: but at least you need the patch to set correct values for the flags09:36
sjoerddidn't check the differences yet (except for the 1gb and 2gb difference)09:37
=== sjoerd couldn't care less if it's 1 or 2 gb
pittisjoerd: the key difference is that the original fdi only sets sync to true if < 2 GB09:38
pittisjoerd: but that is pmount's default anyway; you need to set sync to false explicitly09:38
pittisjoerd: same for noatime09:38
sjoerdi can patch the system fdi for the rigth flags.. and also put this commented out in a preferences.fdi09:40
sjoerdjust to show how to easily do it09:40
=== lamont_r [~lamont@c-24-6-251-226.client.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sjoerdi was planning to do that for the automount hint anyway09:40
pittisjoerd: this would be nice09:40
pittisjoerd: then I could revert the Ubuntu patch09:41
sjoerdyeah and we can still change the default easily, as it's in /usr/share09:41
sjoerdoh cool.. kay send a patch to let udev handle all the hotplug stuff09:42
pittisjoerd: i. e. the unmounting?09:51
sjoerduhm no, what /sbin/hotplug now does.. but then done by udev09:52
sjoerdwhich gives you better serialisation among other things09:52
pittisjoerd: oh, everything? Including module loading, file parsing etc.09:52
pittisjoerd: hmm, this essentially means to merge the udev and hotplug sources, I suppose09:53
pittisjoerd: but it certainly looks nicer to have one less item in the chain09:53
sjoerdudev did already the same thing for the most part09:53
pittisjoerd: udev did not load modules AFAIK09:53
pittihowever, sounds nice09:54
pittiI hope that all the upstream and Debian maintainers agree on this09:54
sjoerdshould fix some races here and there09:55
sjoerddunno, it makes more sense that way.. so i think it's hard for the debian people not to agree09:56
pittifrom the technical perspective they surely agree, but the hotplug maintainer will lose his baby... :-)10:01
=== daniels [~daniels@host217-37-231-28.in-addr.btopenworld.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiHi daniels 10:11
=== __daniel [~daniel@td9091c04.pool.terralink.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== __daniel [~daniel@td9091c04.pool.terralink.de] has left #ubuntu-devel []
danielspitti: morning10:21
=== lulu [~lu@host217-37-231-28.in-addr.btopenworld.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiHey, I just became "uncle"! :-))10:30
pittiMy sister got a little daughter 10:30
=== pitti jumps for joy
sjoerdcongratulations 10:31
lulupitti:that's awesome :o)10:31
pittilulu: Yeah! Unfortunately my sister lives 700 km away, so it will take a while until I actually see her10:32
lulupitti: have to live with digital pics via email :o(10:32
fabbionedaniels: 3614 <-10:35
Kamionmorning folks10:36
fabbionehey Kamion10:36
pittiHi Kamion 10:36
=== egon__ [~egon@suprimo-217.ping.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittimvo__: growing tails? :-))10:40
mvo__tsss :)10:42
danielsfabbione: got it, thanks10:45
fabbionedaniels: what about uploading xorg? ;)10:50
fabbionemy sparc already hates you :P10:50
danielsso just put it in not-for-us for the time being10:51
danielsbut yeah, I'll do xorg this morning10:51
fabbionenah that's ok.. it needs to build xfree86 first10:51
fabbionei forgot to tell sbuild to not die for inactivity10:51
fabbioneand it killed the build right in the middle of it10:51
=== elmo [~james@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
danielsheh!  whoops10:55
=== rburton [~ross@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== steve [~steve@static24-72-77-242.regina.accesscomm.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== kylem [~kyle@CPE0030ab0b413b-CM023469906297.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mjg59 [mjg59@cavan.codon.org.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== chrisa [~chris@nullcode.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== TerminX [~terminx@terminx.envision7.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== maswan [maswan@kennedy.acc.umu.se] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== amu [~amu@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== azeem [~mbanck@lxsrv1.lrz-muenchen.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== nmf [~nmf@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lupus_ [~lupus@kn-ivl-2.kuleuven.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
danielsfabbione: i'm going to go with a full (security + your crack) upload11:17
fabbionedaniels: ok11:17
fabbioneif mdz will say something i will take that responsability11:17
danielssimply because I've been busy enough with triage, other distro stuff, taking tuesday off, etc, that I haven't had time to properly finish all of my stuff11:17
fabbionebut you will take the responsability for the broken crap11:17
Kamion10:17 < fabbione> if mdz will say something i will take that responsability11:18
Kamionsay something about what?11:18
fabbioneKamion: mixing a security upload to hoary, together with other bug fixes11:19
daniels(enter Kamion!)11:19
Kamionfor hoary I shouldn't think there'd be a problem with that11:19
danielsKamion: uploading 6.8.1-1ubuntu3 with libxpm fix + other random stuff11:19
danielsok, cool11:19
fabbioneKamion: exactly my idea11:19
danielsounds ill11:19
=== Astharot [~isager@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbionealso because i don't see any point in pushing foo 1.0-2 with the security and 10 minutes later -3 with all the other crack11:20
Kamionquite so11:20
danielsKamion: 'sounds ill' -> 'delightful!  my people shall make it so'11:21
=== seb128 [~seb128@ANancy-151-1-28-228.w83-194.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiHi seb128!11:21
Kamiondaniels: thanks for the British translation ;-)11:22
danielsKamion: i'm here to help, dude11:22
danielsKamion: but after hearing some British music, I'm unsure about my translations11:22
daniels'dude am I ever pissed off' -> 'GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, WAPPERS DO' might be more appropriate, it seems :P11:23
Kamion(sed's fixed now, right?)11:23
=== azeem never understood that word in the song
danielsKamion: goldie lookin chain11:24
danielsKamion: keybuk's not subjected you to that?11:24
rburtonoh he doesn't have it does he?11:24
danielsKamion: the origin of WOO WOO SUMMON THE POLICE11:24
danielsKamion: sort of welsh/northern rap11:25
Kamiondaniels: terrifying11:25
danielsazeem: when you summon someone, you get them11:25
danielsKamion: but hillariously funny :)11:25
azeemok, but KRS-1 had that as 'sound of da police', no?11:25
rburtondaniels: have you heard "guns don't kill people, wabbits do" by elma fudd11:25
=== Astharot [~isager@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
danielsrburton: no, but I've heard Kinnison mumbling it :)11:26
danielsazeem: dunno, don't listen to much krs stuff11:26
danielsbut anyway, we're *desperately* offtopic here11:26
=== rburton decides he needs more Herbalizer
Kamiondpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_3.1.0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):11:34
=== bitserf [~ljb@222-152-4-93.jetstream.xtra.co.nz] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamion trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib64', which is also in package xorg-driver-synaptics11:34
=== robtaylor [~robtaylor@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
danielsKamion: /usr/X11R6/lib64?!?11:36
Kamiondaniels: can you just install stuff in /usr/X11R6/lib/ please?11:36
Kamiondaniels: base-files installs a symlink, you install a directory ...11:36
=== daniels *stares* at xorg-driver-synaptics.
Kamionprobably didn't break until base-files got upgraded11:36
danielsKamion: unintentional, I assure you11:37
Kamionjust broke my upgrade, that's all :)11:37
=== daniels summons the poli-ice.
azeemwoo! woo!11:40
=== _rene_ [~rene@dsl-082-082-060-232.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
_rene_pitti: ping11:41
pitti_rene_: pong11:42
pitti_rene_: Hi, how are you?11:42
_rene_pitti: you may be interested in contribution to the current discussion of debian-openoffice wrt tasksel / OOo's l10n pkgs11:42
_rene_pitti: the depends _is_ needed. I outlined why11:42
_rene_pitti: maybe we could do it a conflicts to the older version11:42
_rene_pitti: fine, thanks11:42
pitti_rene_: I did this conflicts to older/newer versions in the mozilla locale packages, works fine11:43
_rene_args, the reassigning failed11:43
_rene_so it's not on -openoffice yet ;-)11:43
pitti_rene_: is this possible in the template?11:43
_rene_er, blah11:44
_rene_I need coffe11:44
_rene_it is on -openoffice11:44
pittiEnjoy it :-)11:44
_rene_pitti: we could do in control.lang.in, yes11:44
pitti_rene_: this would be nice11:44
pitti_rene_: conflicting to older and newer versions should basically do the same as a Depends to a particular version11:45
pitti_rene_: are there any other difficulties apart from mixed versions?11:45
_rene_not that I know of11:45
_rene_one of the  majjor problems is when you want -y11:46
_rene_wou *need* 1.1.3 oo.o and oo.o-bin11:46
_rene_since only there the definitiions needed are added11:46
_rene_but otherwise I see no problems except them not being removed when wanting to remove openoffice.org ;-)11:46
rburtonooh, http://www.klika.si/ziga/bootchart/bootchart-rhgbfix.png is sweet11:49
pitti_rene_: if you remove the language pack as well, it will be removed11:50
pitti_rene_: this is exactly what we want11:50
_rene_yes, but I currently am thinking only about tasksel and sarge ;-)11:51
danielsKamion: new xorg-driver-synaptics in my upload queue in chinstrap11:51
_rene_as I said I am no ubuntu dev, but as you would profit from that Conflicts: sttuff too I tell you ;-)11:53
=== _rene_ doesnt like that important debian people get lesser time for releasing sarge while working on ubuntu...
daniels_rene_: it's just the same as work11:55
daniels_rene_: when my job hacking on X fired up, I had no time for Debian11:55
daniels_rene_: if you need to work long hours in a supermarket, or at a bakery, you don't always have time for Debian11:55
daniels_rene_: seriously, people are only noticing more because it's another free software project11:56
_rene_ah, and why don't we still have all testing-security stuff complete? when elmo now has time to do Debian stuff? (elmo: nothing personal)11:56
pitti_rene_: In fact I'm now able to put more work to Debian as before11:56
azeem_rene_: this is off-topic here, really11:56
_rene_daniels started it, I just tought11:57
elmo_rene_: don't be ridiculous, of course it's pesonal.  you're pretending  like I'm the only person in the world who can fix testing-security which blatently isn't true.12:02
_rene_elmo: no. just that you and ryan can do that12:02
_rene_elmo: as far as I know12:03
elmo_rene_: bzzt12:03
elmoand Ryan (and two of the three others) don't work for Canonical\12:03
danielselmo: have I got half an hour on concordia?12:04
_rene_anyway, this really wasn't meant personal12:04
seb128elmo: python-gtk2 sync please12:04
_rene_this was just an example where an important person looks like he doesn't have time to do this12:04
smurfix_rene_: it's still off-topic.12:04
elmo_rene_: dude, if you make it personal, it doesn't matter how many times you say "it's not personal"12:05
_rene_smurfix: but since daniels and elmo responded...12:05
elmoif you want to make it not personal, stop talking about me when it's not actually all on me12:05
_rene_elmo: 't insult you personally12:05
elmoseb128: done12:06
seb128thanks :)12:06
_rene_elmo: Itf it wold be personally I would have somethking like "James Troup doesn't do ...."12:06
smurfix_rene_: doesn't change the fact that it isn't. Now please take it elsewhere.12:06
fabbioneelmo: please sync apache 1.3.33-2 from sid12:06
_rene_I would call it misunderstanding12:06
elmodaniels: dude, don't even ask - it's a port box, as long as it's work related, do what you want12:06
elmoif I need the machine exclusively, you wouldn't even be able to login ;-)12:06
danielselmo: heh :) ok, cheers12:07
_rene_smurfix: I am in here to coordinate OOo stuff.12:07
_rene_smurfix: when daniels and elmo respond I think I should be able to re-respond12:08
elmofabbione: you don't have to ask me to sync stuff without 'ubuntu' in the version in hoary - it'll sync as soon as it reaches a mirror12:08
_rene_anyway, this now seems to have settled down12:08
fabbioneelmo: oh ok..12:08
mvo__elmo: how often (~changes/day) does the Packages file change currently in warty/hoary? 12:10
_rene_hi mvo__ 12:11
elmomvo: hard to tell at the moment - due to ia64 uploading packages 24/712:11
mvo__hi _rene_ 12:11
elmomvo: but in theory, up to every 30 mins12:11
mvo__elmo: arggggss, that's a lot. how often in debian? how often (roughtly) in warty?12:12
elmomvo: debian is once a day12:12
elmowarty, I dunno, it's no 48, but it's a lot, I'd WAG at 20+12:13
elmoerr, not warty, hoary12:13
elmowarty is like, never, except for the odd warty-security update and the incredibly rare warty-updates update12:13
mvo__all right, thanks. I'm still toying with the Packages.gz diff idea12:14
elmomvo__: you could just ignore our insane update speed for that - we probably won't be able to sustain it forever12:14
=== herzi [~herzi@d023247.adsl.hansenet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Astharot [~isager@www.zone-h.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbioneelmo: why not?12:15
mvo__:) it would be cool for ubuntu/stable and debian then12:15
elmofabbione: more arches, bigger archives, more distributions, etc.12:16
elmoand it encourages mirrors/users to sync more often, which hurts the master etc.12:16
fabbioneelmo: how far are we from the limit?12:16
fabbione(of the 30 minutes)12:16
elmofabbione: quite away at the moment - don't worry, it's not changing in the next month or anything12:17
elmoI'm just saying, it's not something I think we should guarantee we'll do indefinitely12:17
fabbioneelmo: i understand.. 12:18
fabbionealso switching from 30 minutes to 2 hours would be more than sane imho12:18
Kamiondaniels: thanks12:19
fabbioneseb128: you around?12:23
seb128why ?12:23
fabbioneseb128: just one simple question.. is the default gdm config always shipped by the package or is it generated?12:23
seb128what do you mean by "generated" ? like debconf questions to create it ?12:24
seb128no, that's shipped by the package12:24
Kamiongenerated => maintainer script presumably12:24
Kamionfabbione: 2 hours> the current interval is absolutely fantastic when you're trying to get something fixed in a hurry, as I often have to do12:25
seb128you would like to make some changes ?12:25
fabbioneKamion: i fully agree with the current interval, but if we will reach the limit we will need to go one step higher.. to let say one hour....12:28
fabbionebut i think we can easily live with 2 hours + manual elmo's black magic if the s**t hit the fan12:28
azeembtw, you guys do source-only uploads, right?12:29
=== gicmo [~gicmo@pD9E59913.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbioneazeem: yes12:29
azeemall the time?12:29
fabbioneazeem: still this doesn't exclude that you need to check your package before uploading12:29
fabbioneand bla bla bla...12:29
=== Astharot [~isager@www.zone-h.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbioneseb128: no thanks.. there is no need to modify anything12:31
fabbioneseb128: i would be more glad if you will tell me in advance when there will be changes (if any)12:31
azeemfabbione: heh, sure12:32
azeemit should apply cleanly, at least ;)12:32
seb128fabbione: ok12:32
fabbioneazeem: lol12:32
=== martink [~martin@pD9EB3CF8.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== plovs_work [~plovs@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== carlos [~carlos@69.Red-80-33-181.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pitticarlos: Hi!12:49
carlospitti: morning!12:49
pitticarlos: morning is good - it's lunchtime12:49
carlospitti: I just wake up :-P12:50
carlosso, it's morning here12:50
seb128hey carlos 12:50
=== George^Deka [~george@228.c.012.mel.iprimus.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
carlosseb128: dude, you should confirm your flight to matar or I will be alone in the hotel :-)12:54
seb128oups, sorry, I've forgotten the jabber window on a desktop the other day12:55
seb128and noticed some hours after that12:55
seb128I've confirmed it, just not updated the wiki12:55
robtaylorcarlos: hey :)12:57
carlosrobtaylor: hey!12:57
robtaylorcarlos: i'll be coming to mataro :) paid for my my work :)12:57
carlosrobtaylor: cool!12:58
carlosrobtaylor: which days?12:58
robtaylorcarlos: 9th till the 13th i think12:58
=== robtaylor checks
robtaylorcarlos: yep, land in barcelona 16:35 on thursday, and leave 22:70 on monday12:59
robtaylori thought that looked wrong =)01:00
robtaylorcarlos: so hows the accessd going. did you give some thought to the black box idea?01:00
carlosrobtaylor: I was talking with gst's maintainer01:01
carlosand he agree on the idea01:01
robtaylorcarlos: gst?01:01
carlosgnome system tools01:01
robtaylorah :)01:01
=== winkle [~winkle@lgh3814234.vittran.norrnod.se] has joined #ubuntu-devel
carlosbut I was not able to finish the prototype this weekend01:02
robtaylorcool. i bought a new laptop yesterday so i could start working on stuff again, but the hd was b0rked :(01:02
robtayloryeah, luckily i got it from a shop so i'll get them to replace it.. i just hope it is the hd and not the controller :(01:05
robtaylorcarlos: didi you get much done on the prototype?01:05
carlosrobtaylor: nothing about dbus yet, I was playing with pygtk and did the login dialog, nothing more01:06
robtaylorcarlos: hmm, the login dialog is another executable, remember ;)01:07
carlosI know, but part of the system01:07
seb128carlos: dude, gst=gstreamer :)01:07
carlosI was working on the dialog <-> daemon communication01:07
carlosseb128: nor really :-)01:07
carlosseb128: both have the same letters01:08
robtaylorcarlos: should just be done over stdout/stdin01:08
carlosrobtaylor: that was my first attempt but I was getting mad with that because it didn't worked until I close the pipe01:08
carlosso I moved to unix sockets01:08
robtaylorcarlos: definitly should just be inherited pipes..01:08
robtaylorfor max security01:09
carlosrobtaylor: as I said, I did it01:09
carlosbut It didn't worked01:09
carlosI need a two ways channel01:09
carlosand I was using two pipes01:09
carlosbut it always got blocked01:10
robtaylorcarlos: why do you need 2 way channel?01:10
robtaylorjust get the cleinet to send login:<bla> passwd: <bla> when its finished01:10
carlosrobtaylor: the server needs to tell the helper daemon if it's right or not01:12
robtaylorcarlos: hmm, ok, well i'll take a look at the code when i have a moment - it *should* be possible to do it with pipes01:15
carlosrobtaylor: if you get it working with pipes, It's perfect01:15
herzican somebody please verify this: there's no character-pick applet un gnome-applets 2.9.1-0ubuntu101:18
gicmoherzi, seems like I dont have one here ..01:19
herzilooks like a missing build dependency01:19
elmogar.  nice way to quasi-DOS a machine, fill it's /tmp with so much crap it takes eons to boot01:20
danielselmo: yeah01:22
elmodamn.  I don't even get to shout at anyone - the directories seem to be owned by me :(01:23
danielselmo: well, if you're really upset at yourself, you could slice yourself up01:23
danielsthe datacentre equivalent of seppuku01:23
fabbioneseb128: do you think you can create somekind of patch to disable the XKeepcrashing from gdm as a argument switch?01:26
seb128fabbione: yeah, that should be easy to do01:26
danielswhy does X fail to start on the 441?01:26
fabbioneor as a config oprion like NoXKeepCrashing01:26
fabbionedaniels: no that's not the case01:26
fabbioneseb128: the config option would be the best solution01:28
fabbioneseb128: either to accept the fact that there is no XKeepCrashing01:28
seb128hum, I've to go for lunch01:29
fabbioneseb128: or a special option that disables it01:29
fabbioneso do i :-)01:29
fabbionei don't need it right away...01:29
fabbioneso don't worry :)01:29
seb128there is no hurry I guess, I'll think about it during lunch :)01:29
fabbionebon apetit01:29
herzijdub, ping01:36
=== herz1 [~herzi@d023247.adsl.hansenet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== herzi [~herzi@d023247.adsl.hansenet.de] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Verlassend"]
elmooh. my.  god.  could linux-source- take _any_ longer to build? :/01:40
danielselmo: could be worse, it could be OOo01:40
elmoI'm pretty sure it's worse than oo.o01:42
danielsthat's impressive01:42
elmooh, no, it's about the half the  time,but still01:42
elmolinux-source-   01:55:16 (5 entries, sigma 01:08:07)01:42
fabbionedaniels: ok after lunch :-)01:43
elmoopenoffice.org:         03:59:50 (1 entry, sigma 00:00:00)01:43
MithrandirOOo isn't that bad, gcc is worse, iirc.01:43
elmoanyway, lunch..01:43
danielsfabbione: thanks01:43
fabbionedaniels: no problem01:43
Mithrandirelmo: a sigma of one hour is bloody much, though.01:43
fabbione      db_set xserver-xfree86/config/device/driver nvidia01:45
fabbione      db_set xserver-xorg/config/device/driver nvidia01:45
fabbionethis won't work01:45
fabbioneyou need to setup a var for the server you are using01:45
fabbioneand change that to xserver-${SERVER}01:45
fabbionedebconf will kill the script if there is no template01:46
danielsah ok, will do01:46
fabbionedaniels: it's the same reason why we set +e in the data migration loop01:47
danielsfabbione: try that01:47
fabbionedaniels: i would also do in a slightly different way.01:48
danielshow so01:48
fabbioneyou assume that either one or the other server is installed01:48
fabbionebut you you might have one in a non purge state01:48
fabbioneyou assume that either one or the other server is installed and the other purged (sorry)01:49
danielsmmm, fair point01:49
danielsthat's why I put the test for xorg first though01:49
danielsif xorg.conf is there and they're running XFree86, they've downgraded01:50
danielsin which case -- both pieces01:50
=== winkle [~winkle@lgh3814234.vittran.norrnod.se] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbionedaniels: remember that xserver doesn't purge the config if it has been customized02:10
fabbioneso don't rely only on the fact that the config is there02:10
fabbionei think you can check using /var/lib/xfree86/{server}.roaster or md5sum02:11
danielsit's a pretty good guess02:13
danielsif they've purged a server, nvidia-glx-config isn't going to do them much good anyway :P02:13
Kamionyay, Manoj merged the kernel-package stem patch02:24
=== Kamion goes mergy mergy
danielsKamion: that sounds awfully like 'bouncey bouncey'02:26
daniels(emphasis on 'awful')02:26
Kamiondaniels: xorg-driver-synaptics failed to build02:32
danielsKamion: ?!?02:33
danielslet me hit the logs up02:33
Kamioncp: cannot stat `changelog': No such file or directory02:33
danielshow incredibly bizzare02:34
aswsabdfl ping 02:48
=== herzi [~herzi@d044154.adsl.hansenet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionelmo: please resync xemacs21 to Debian02:49
fabbionedid something happended to our theme?02:51
fabbioneall of a sudden gdm decided to gimme back the original one with the big yellow flower02:51
pittiCan someone please proofread https://chinstrap.warthogs.hbd.com/~pitti/usn-samba.txt ? TIA02:54
Kamion"writing access" => "write access"02:54
smurfixpitti: Whom do I ask for access? elmo?02:55
Kamionotherwise looks ok to me02:55
pittiKamion: fixed, thanks for review02:55
pittiKamion: I'll publish the thing now02:55
pittiKamion: I think it is okay to give smurfix the chinstrap web password, what do you think?02:56
pittiKamion: he's now an approved developer02:56
Kamionpitti: ask elmo, please, I don't know the policy02:57
pittismurfix: please ask elmo02:57
Kamionseb128: #3833> should we just sync to the Debian version then?02:57
smurfixI noticed ;-)02:57
=== jdz_ [~jdz@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittismurfix: /me likes to play parrot :-)02:58
seb128Kamion: no, we have a bunch of extra changes02:58
seb128Kamion: I don't get the point to spend 1 hour to merge the changes in the debian package for nothing ... I'm missing something ot that's ok ?02:59
Kamionseb128: at least merging the changelog would be good so that we can tell that without looking at the bug, then02:59
Kamionthere are benefits to being able to determine this sort of thing automatically02:59
Kamionstatistics over the whole distribution, etc.02:59
seb128statistics ?02:59
Kamionhow many packages are completely merged with Debian03:00
seb128Keybuk said it's not needed yesterday03:00
KamionI shall have to talk with Keybuk when he arrives, then03:00
seb128Kamion: in we want to merge the package it'll take ... say 1 hour, there is 5-6 patch to add to the debian package ... to get nothing out of the fact to be based on the debian package03:00
seb128that's wasting 1 hour imho03:01
Kamionwhy does it take so long if everything in the Ubuntu package is in the Debian one?03:01
Kamionsorry, other way round I mean03:01
KamionIMO if you don't want to do it you should leave the bug open, but *shrug*03:01
Kamionremember that this sort of thing is going to provide vital clues to Malone in the future03:01
Kamionit is not a no-op03:02
seb128but there is no point to let it open, we don't need anything from the debian package03:02
Kamionyou need the changelog so that Malone can have a clue how the versions interrelate03:02
seb128why does it take time ? Because apt-get source the debian package, start adding ubuntu patches, review the diff to extra stuff not added in debian/patches but directly changed, build, test ...03:02
seb128easy to spend 20min (1hour is perhaps too much yes)03:03
KamionI realise that it's essentially just bookkeeping, but this sort of bookkeeping is going to keep us sane in the future03:03
Kamionif you don't want to merge the packaging but just the changelogs, that's fine by me03:04
Mithrandirdaniels: moo?03:04
seb128what's useful in the changelog ?03:04
Kamionalthough maybe not, it isn't really a descendant03:04
Kamionyou have obviously never attempted to implement a version-tracking BTS. I have. :-)03:04
Mithrandirdpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_3.1.0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):03:05
Mithrandir trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib64', which is also in package xorg-driver-synaptics03:05
KamionMithrandir: told daniels about it earlier, he's fixing03:05
Mithrandirok, goodie03:05
Kamionseb128: probably best not to merge the changelog without merging the packaging, actually ...03:05
seb128Kamion: still time to merge when that will be useful ...03:05
Kamionseb128: the useful bit in the changelog is that it's the only possible reliable way to tell that one version of a package is based on any given other version03:06
seb128Kamion: we could spare a bunch of useless merges before this time and use that time for useful work :)03:06
=== enrico [~enrico@enrico.developer.debian] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128Kamion: the ubuntu package is not based on the debian version, it was here before ...03:06
Kamionwell, like I say, I simply disagree with closing the bug, that's all, I'm not telling you to do it now03:07
Kamionthere are plenty of bugs in bugzilla that it's not worth fixing yet03:07
seb128I know, I'm closing it because we don't need to merge it imho03:07
seb128but let me know if I'm wrong03:07
seb128as said, I've already talked about this with Scott yesterday03:08
seb128we should have a clear line about what we want to do :)03:08
Kamionfundamentally I guess it depends whether you want to diverge GNOME forever from Debian or not03:08
seb128I've no problem with merging for bookkeeping if that's useful, I just thought it was not needed03:08
seb128Kamion: I include debian changes when they happen in fact, not need to be based on a debian version to do this03:09
Kamionfor example, if Debian applies some fix to a patch that's also in the Ubuntu package, it will be easier to tell that automatically if the packaging is similar03:09
seb128and Debian's GNOME will always be late, so I don't know when we can merge03:09
KamionI realise that you can handle it now, but we need to not be relying on the heroism of individuals :-)03:10
Kamionthe same goes for me and debian-installer, to some extent ...03:10
Kamionanyway, I'll talk to Scott03:10
seb128the main difference with GNOME is that we have 2.9 and debian 2.803:10
seb128taking 2.8 packages to redo 2.9 ...03:11
=== sivang [~sivang@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionoh, sure, but that doesn't mean that there won't be say a security patch that applies to both, and we could derive benefit from being able to detect that more automatically03:11
seb128GNOME packages only have patches in debian/patches03:12
seb128that should not be hard to detect automatically03:12
Kamion(actually it's harder than any other type of package right now, isn't it? I didn't think Scott's merge-o-matic knew how to handle it at all03:12
Kamionand no, with respect, I disagree, debian/patches/ is not a panacea03:12
seb128what's the problem with debian/patches ?03:13
seb128one example: take the debian packages for gdm and figure what changes are in it with the .diff.gz, good luck ...03:13
Kamioncan Scott's merge-o-matic deal with new patches being applied in Debian that are named differently to an Ubuntu patch but that contain the same changeset?03:13
Kamionlet's not have the monolithic vs. debian/patches argument again, I'm not trying to argue that03:14
seb128good question, I don't know03:14
KamionI understand that it cannot03:14
Kamionwhich may not affect you with GNOME, but which affects everyone else03:14
seb128let's wait for Scott and talk with him about all this03:15
Kamionif the merge-o-matic knew how to handle your type of packaging, it could probably just spit out a source package that you could upload rather than you having to merge by hand, anyway03:16
Kamionthat's what most of the other distro team people are dealing with right now.03:16
azeemit could compare md5sums first perhaps, but that does not catch whitespace/indentation issues of course03:19
=== dasenjo [~dasenjo@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
danielsMithrandir: moo!03:20
=== alerios [~alerios@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mithrandirdaniels: kamion had already prodded you, he said -- xorg-synaptics-driver is b0rken on amd64.03:21
danielsMithrandir: yeah, just finished lunch03:21
danielsuploading in a sec03:22
danielsthere, have a new xorg while I'm at it03:23
fabbione    debian/patches/000_stolen_from_patches.diff (taken from03:28
=== fabbione hits daniels
fabbionei mean.. we have like: stolen_from_HEAD.diff03:28
=== fabbione sighs
infinityMaybe he has a dog named "patches" who wrote the patch?03:29
fabbioneinfinity: that would be mostlikely named: stolen_from_DOG.diff03:29
infinityNever attribute to malice that which you can attribute in a contrived, roundabout way, to pets.03:29
danielsfabbione: it's not committed to HEAD, so putting it in stolen_from_HEAD is misleading03:36
danielsfabbione: it was taken from www.x.org/pub/X11R6.8.1/patches, as I said in the header, so that seemed the most sensible thing to put03:37
fabbioneyeah eayh :-))03:37
fabbionebtw.. when do you expect to have cvs back online?03:37
danielsstill got ldap to finish tonight after i finish work03:42
infinityDid you find a CVS backup you're satisfied?03:42
danielsyeah, I've got one I'm satisfied with -- from the 15th of October03:46
fabbionedaniels: tell that's the one WITHOUT xprint :-)03:47
danielsif only03:47
fabbionedaniels: this is a really really really ood opportunity03:47
fabbionegood even03:47
danielswell, I think the current best plan is to say 'right, here's your CVS on the 15th of October, here's your CVS on the 15th of November; do what you like with these two snapshots'03:47
danielsi have snapshots of a few projects' CVS roots from the 5th also03:48
fabbioneseb128: is it normal that gdm lost his ubuntu theme?03:59
seb128when ?04:01
danielselmo: ... impressive04:01
danielselmo: where are you building it?04:01
fabbionei am not sure.. it was a while i didn't upgrade the machine04:01
elmoyou know, I think that 2hour +figure is with a hot ccache04:01
=== [Clint] is now known as Clint
seb128fabbione: you have changed the gdm.conf file ?04:01
elmoI could have hand-edited the binary in this amount of time04:02
elmodaniels: adare04:02
danielselmo: good god04:02
fabbioneseb128: yes but i didn't touch the Theme part04:02
danielselmo: oh, that's with thirty-one flavours of sven crack, no?04:02
seb128perhaps you broke the structure somewhat04:02
elmodaniels: no, only 3 flavours, that's less than i38604:03
fabbioneseb128: hmmm04:03
danielselmo: oh04:03
fabbioneseb128: is there any automatic check i can use?04:05
=== [Clint] [~c123p456@user-12hdtek.cable.mindspring.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128fabbione: not afaik04:05
=== [Clint] [~c123p456@user-12hdtek.cable.mindspring.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zul [~chuck@zul.developer.gentoo] has joined #ubuntu-devel
azeemdid you consider splitting up the web archives for, say, ubuntu-users to several pages?04:07
danielselmo: are we going to get the customary triumphant salute when it finishes? :)04:08
danielselmo: (wappers, not shaft)04:08
fabbioneseb128: yeah. it looks like something related to the config04:13
=== carlos [~carlos@69.Red-80-33-181.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
elmoKamion: done04:18
elmodaniels: meh04:18
fabbioneseb128: it was a permission problem04:19
=== lamont_r [~lamont@c-24-6-251-226.client.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionelmo: ta04:25
Kamionelmo: (you meant xemacs21, right?)04:26
Kamionspeaking of Sven, I have a Pegasos here04:26
elmoKamion: right04:28
elmosed's fixed now right?04:31
Kamionso I'm told, I haven't managed to actually test it myself though quite yet04:31
=== ..[topic/#ubuntu-devel:elmo] : Ubuntu development -- general discussion and support on #ubuntu | Hoary is here: http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2004-October/000005.html | Want to help? see https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HoaryGoals | archive.ubuntu.com going down briefly for reboot
Kamionthere's a bizarre comment in #3771 suggesting that the current powerpc version is broken, which I want to test myself first04:32
=== doko [doko@dsl-082-082-211-108.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dasenjo [~dasenjo@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ironwolf [~ironwolf@c-24-6-251-226.client.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
danielslamont_r: sup04:44
lamont_rs3 video chipset with ancient monitor + xorg or xf86 -> nfg04:44
lamont_ryou want a log and config?04:44
danielsyes please04:45
danielsthrough BZ if you will04:45
lamont_rok. gimme a bit04:45
fabbionelamont_r: did you notice python_gtk2 failed to build?04:50
fabbionebecause of a md5sum mismatch04:50
lamont_rfabbione: working through noticing lots of such things....04:50
=== ..[topic/#ubuntu-devel:elmo] : Ubuntu development -- general discussion and support on #ubuntu | Hoary is here: http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2004-October/000005.html | Want to help? see https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HoaryGoals
Mithrandirfabbione: what's the state of ubuntu@sparc?04:53
danielselmo: topicdiff?04:53
fabbioneMithrandir: building phase0. almost everything as expected.04:54
smurfixdaniels: -archivr reboot04:54
Mithrandirfabbione: ok, anything I can help you with?04:54
fabbioneMithrandir: Total 248 package(s)04:54
fabbioneleft to build04:54
fabbioneMithrandir: not yet i think04:54
fabbioneMithrandir: until you don't want to setup a buildd :-)04:55
Mithrandirok, when is it ready for me to bootstrap off?04:55
MithrandirI have a few sparcs I want to get flying.04:55
elmobah, sucks, if you install lilo and switch to grub, you don't get the nice menu.lst04:55
fabbioneMithrandir: we will need to work on the installer sometimes after i pass phase104:55
MithrandirI have a small pile, as I said.  Two 333MHz boxes, can get two 270MHz ones as well04:56
danielsah, right04:56
fabbioneMithrandir: right now i am building ubuntu on top of sid04:56
Kamion_rene_: can you point me to where I can get the patch for #281643, or is RSN going to be in the next day or so?04:56
Kamion_rene_: I want working Ubuntu CDs :-)04:56
fabbioneMithrandir: finished this phase i need to manually sort out the dep-wait (like gnome2.8 and xorg)04:57
fabbioneMithrandir: completed that phase, we need to rebuild all ubuntu on top of ubuntu04:57
Mithrandirtell me when I can do something useful.04:57
fabbioneMithrandir: right now only extra buildd's would help04:57
Mithrandirif I set up Debian on the boxes, can you take it from there or do you want help running them as well?04:58
fabbioneMithrandir: if you are up for them, we can make the setup sunday04:58
_rene_Kamion: http://cvs.debian.org/oo-deb/debian/rules.diff?r1=1.241&r2=1.242&cvsroot=debian-openoffice04:58
fabbioneMithrandir: i can take it from there, yes04:58
fabbioneMithrandir: i will need some sudo access and stuff like that04:58
_rene_Kamion: it will go in once I catch joeyh and change one thing more in the packages or not04:58
Mithrandirobviously, and I will need to kill you if you do $stupid_stuff on the network.04:58
Mithrandirfabbione: I'll see if I can get them netinstalled later today.04:59
fabbioneMithrandir: other than scp'ing packages in/out.. no04:59
=== wasabi [~jhaltom2@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbioneah.. and a configured MTA04:59
fabbionei need to get mail back from the buildd04:59
fabbionebut no need for me to send them04:59
fabbioneto it04:59
Mithrandirfabbione: it's an academic network; copying shit is just fine.  We won't notice until you start going >> 10MBit/sec.04:59
fabbioneahah no way i can manage that from here05:00
Kamion_rene_: hm, we have a forked version anyway, I might just apply that05:01
=== dasenjo [~dasenjo@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamont_rfabbione: X11/Xauth.h not found. - what is nas missing?05:14
danielslamont_r: libxau-dev05:18
danielslamont_r: what exactly are you building??05:18
lamont_rdaniels: looking at the build logs (in this case, nas)05:18
fabbionelamont_r: from yesterday daniles is your X guy :P05:18
danielslamont_r: craaaaaaack.05:18
lamont_rdaniels is my X-bitch.  got it.05:18
=== ironwolf [~ironwolf@c-24-6-251-226.client.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamont_rBuild-Depends: xlibs-static-dev, libsm-dev, libice-dev, libx11-dev, libxt-dev, libxaw7-dev, xutils, bison, flex, file, po-debconf05:20
lamont_roh, look. xlibs-static-dev.05:20
danielssub out xlibs-static-dev05:20
danielsanything reverse-depending on xlibs-static will be broken, pretty much05:20
daniels(xlibs-static -> xlibs-static-{dev,pic})05:21
lamont_rso file bugs and assign them to you.  got it.05:21
danielsyeah, pretty much05:21
danielsbut you get to fix this one :)05:21
lamont_rare they debian bugs, or just us05:21
lamont_rdaniels: np05:21
lamont_rxlibs-static == xlibs-static-{dev,pic}, eh?05:21
danielsthey're just us05:23
lamont_rdaniels: 3860, btw.  if I get a fix today then I can help the poor user when I next visit his house before I head home saturday....05:29
Mithrandiramu: *prod*?05:30
=== Mitario [~michiel@sikkes.xs4all.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
danielslamont_r: lspci output?05:31
Mitariohey all05:31
danielslamont_r: it could well be one of the few cards which are unsupported in xfree86 4.x and above s305:31
danielslamont_r: (try vesa)05:31
lamont_rdaniels: not near the machine right now.05:36
lamont_rwas s3 though for sure...05:36
lamont_rhow does one "try vesa", just to be clueless and off-topic?05:36
danielsjust change Driver "s3" to Driver "vesa"05:36
danielsand you might want to nuke the BusID while you're at it05:36
=== sladen [paul@starsky.19inch.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionlamont_r: are the amd64 buildds particularly clogged right now?05:44
=== lamont_r looks
lamont_rshouldn't be05:46
ironwolflamont_r: is xlibs mis-behaving in hoary today?05:47
lamont_rironwolf: nah - it's an xf86->xorg change thing05:47
danielswhat'd I miss?05:48
ironwolflamont_r: (gvim:6415): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib what's that? and how do I fix?05:48
lamont_rdaniels: he's referring to your answer earlier, I xpect...05:48
lamont_rironwolf: that's a locale thing05:48
danielsironwolf: if I knew how to fix it, my head would hurt a lot less05:49
=== mxpxpod [~bryan@mxpxpod.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ironwolfdaniels: does that mean there isn't currently a fix? or that it's complicated?05:49
danielsironwolf: both05:49
Kamionlamont_r: wondering why they're lagging on xorg-driver-synaptics is all; tell me to sod off if I'm just being too impatient05:51
lamont_roh, those are ftbfs05:51
lamont_rcp: cannot stat `changelog': No such file or directory05:51
lamont_rdh_installdocs: command returned error code 25605:51
enricoHello.  Someone knows the IRC nick of Jane Silber (if she has one?)05:51
Mithrandirenrico: silbs05:52
enricoMithrandir: thanks!05:52
lamont_rKamion: on all 3 architectures05:52
Kamionlamont_r: that's the last version back05:52
lamont_roh.  well then sod off. ;-)05:53
Kamionmmkay :)05:53
=== lamont_r goes and looks more
lamont_rsigh... sed is not my friend05:56
=== daniels [~daniels@host217-37-231-28.in-addr.btopenworld.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamont_rKamion: fixed06:01
Kamionlamont_r: heh, thanks06:02
lamont_rKamion: fwiw, I hadn't really fixed the config on yellow when I started the buildd back up - it's all better now.  (sigh(06:13
lamont_rfabbione: thanks for pointing me to the real current status of sasl2 and friends (rebootstrapping those on ia64)06:14
lamont_rfabbione: where does wartylog wind up (for this channel)?06:15
danielsfabbione: http://people.ubuntu.com/~fabbione/irclogs/06:15
gicmosladen, did you get the mail?06:20
Kamion#3861 is freaky06:21
danielsKamion: crack06:23
danielshm, this 8-bit version of Freestyler is pure crack06:24
danielsdaniels@catsby:~/canonical/xfree86/foo/libx11-6-dbg/usr/X11R6/lib/debug% export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=en_US.UTF-806:24
danielsmore caffeine this way06:24
infinitydaniels : S'ok.  Early today, I mindlessly typed "apt-get install ll" when a shell alias wasn't defined.06:29
sladengicmo: yup, I did.  I'll answer it at some point too ;-)06:31
sladenwho runs mailman around here?06:31
Kamionthat would be jdub I think06:31
=== Keybuk [scott@descent.netsplit.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sladen fetchs the ICBM from yesterday and looks around for jdub
Mithrandirsladen: what's wrong with mailman now?06:32
danielsi wish I had've looked at that jelly bean instead of eating it straight away -- it was really nice, and I don't know which colour it was06:33
sladenMithrandir: nothing.  After a new list06:33
danielsKeybuk: 'morning06:33
Keybukdaniels: *cough* yeah06:33
=== trukulo [~trukulo@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== rcaskey [~rcaskey@cai17.music.uga.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== alerios [~alerios@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Matt| [~Matt|@81-178-88-128.dsl.pipex.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionoh, baby jesus WEPT, I have to build the openoffice.org source again because it has CVS directories in the source package and my default debuild configuration kills those06:48
infinityAnd you want to ship them, why?06:49
danielsKamion: oops06:49
Kamionminimising diff against Debian06:49
Kamionmakes merges sane later06:50
infinitySo, file a bug against the Debian packages to remove the CVS dirs. :)06:50
haggaiinfinity: they are there on purpose06:50
infinity(and arch dirs too... Those really irritate me)06:50
Kamionarch directories in source packages seem to contain a lot more guff06:51
haggaiI meant the CVS dirs06:52
haggaiI'm not sure what you mean by arch dirs06:52
Kamion{arch}, .arch-ids06:52
Kamioni.e. tla06:52
=== warthylog [~warthylog@port49.ds1-van.adsl.cybercity.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Topic for #ubuntu-devel: Ubuntu development -- general discussion and support on #ubuntu | Hoary is here: http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2004-October/000005.html | Want to help? see https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HoaryGoals
=== Topic (#ubuntu-devel): set by elmo at Thu Nov 18 16:53:36 2004
=== #ubuntu-devel [freenode-info] why register and identify? your IRC nick is how people know you. http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup
=== fabb1one [~fabbione@port49.ds1-van.adsl.cybercity.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mvo_ [~egon@suprimo-217.ping.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(Mitario/#ubuntu-devel) hi mvo_ 07:12
mvo_hi Mitario 07:14
=== calc [~ccheney@ip70-185-2-220.ma.dl.cox.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mxpxpod [~bryan@mxpxpod.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) LKJE07:28
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) _rene_: isn't 'grep -v -en' wrong? grep will interpret the -en as an option07:38
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) $ (echo openoffice.org-l10n-en; echo openoffice.org-l10n-fr) | grep -v -en07:38
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) $07:38
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) it will, yes.07:38
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) _rene_: you need 'grep -v -- -en'07:38
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) it will grep for n, just, afaik07:38
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) it'll use -n as an option; standard getopt behaviour ...07:39
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) or maybe not?07:39
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) oh, no, you're quite right07:39
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) nope, it'll use n as the pattern, since what follows -e is the regex07:39
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) quite confusing, though07:39
=== Kamion is thankful he didn't upload
(rcaskey/#ubuntu-devel) btw, anyone played with OOo's new database tool yet?07:40
(rcaskey/#ubuntu-devel) It's definately a start07:40
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) Can anyone post a translation of #3863 to the bug?07:41
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) it's Spanish, I think07:41
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) going07:41
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) thanks07:41
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) I think he's complaining that his pen drive isn't automagically mounted and that he's told the list which told him to bug report it.07:42
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) Dear developers. I've got a Abit AN7 uGuru Motherboard with Nvidia mcp-t chip, and usbpen doesn't mount automatically.07:42
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) he said he can mount it by hand, but not automatically07:43
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) to the bug :-)07:43
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) :) sorry07:43
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) I'm surprised my translation was that accurate -- I don't know spanish or any latin languages at all :)07:43
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) very accurate Mithrandir 07:44
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) "Escribi en la lista de ubuntu en espaol y me dijeron que me notificara este bug" is roughly "I posted to the spanish ubuntu list and was asked to bugfile this"?07:46
(_rene_/#ubuntu-devel) Mithrandir: oh, it will?07:47
(_rene_/#ubuntu-devel) Mithrandir: hmpf07:47
(_rene_/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: thanks07:47
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) _rene_: : tfheen@shonap ~ > grep -en /etc/passwd | wc -l07:47
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) 3007:47
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) : tfheen@shonap ~ > grep -- -en /etc/passwd | wc -l07:48
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) 007:48
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) doing mi bugzilla account07:48
=== maskie [~maskie@196-30-111-75.uudial.uunet.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(_rene_/#ubuntu-devel) hmm07:48
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) need password to post bug translation07:49
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) ka-BAM.07:49
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) narrowed down the locale issue07:49
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) daniels, so tuesday 14 ?07:49
=== lulu [~lu@host217-37-231-28.in-addr.btopenworld.com] has left #ubuntu-devel []
(_rene_/#ubuntu-devel) obvious07:50
=== _rene_ womnders why he didn't think about that
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) WOO WOO SUMMON THE PO-LICE07:51
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion, bug translated07:54
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) trukulo: thanks07:54
(_rene_/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: thanks, fixed07:54
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) you're wellcome07:54
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) see you soon kamion :) IRL07:55
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) trukulo: sounds good to me, but you'll probably want to check with others07:55
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) daniels, confirmed with jane07:55
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) tuesday 14 at 7pm07:55
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) we only need confirmation of jdub07:56
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) awesome! i'll be there07:56
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) and he said to me he wants to07:56
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) :)07:56
(trukulo/#ubuntu-devel) want to know you all (except fabbione, lol)07:56
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) heh07:56
=== ChrisH [~chaas@gw.workaround.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: d-i unhappy on ppc08:01
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) lamont_r: howso?08:01
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) udev-udeb depends hotplug but it is not installable08:02
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) debian-installer build you mean?08:02
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) yes08:02
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) sorry for the lack of clarity08:02
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) what's the i386 failure about, anyway?08:03
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: so, dude.08:03
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) daniels@catsby:~% export LANG=en_AU.UTF-808:03
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) daniels@catsby:~% export LC_ALL=$LANG08:03
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) daniels@catsby:~% gedit08:03
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) [type some stuff] 08:04
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) daniels@catsby:~%08:04
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: you know how useless it is to set LANG and LC_ALL? LC_ALL overrides.08:04
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: looks like a burp in the bubble we call reality08:04
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) retrying08:04
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) Mithrandir: well, I'm just being very sure08:04
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) lamont_r: hmm, ok, so I suck, fixing08:04
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) Mithrandir: the point was the lack of OMG XLIB H8S UR LOCALE08:04
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: to be even more sure, export the variable twice. :P08:04
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: bonus08:04
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) lamont_r: (it'll be a udev upload)08:04
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) that bug was an utter bastard to track down08:04
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: anything I should d-w on?08:05
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) or will you just tell me to kick it in an hour or 2?08:05
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) lamont_r: udev-udeb 0.042-1ubuntu3 (if you can d-w on udebs)08:06
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) otherwise udev 0.042-1ubuntu308:06
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) >=?08:06
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) sure08:07
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) the retry on i386 was a mirror of ppc08:07
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) the retry on i386 was a mirror of ppc08:08
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) xfree86: 02:24:12 (3 entries, sigma 00:16:01)08:08
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) grumble08:08
=== seb128 [~seb128@ANancy-151-1-20-14.w83-194.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== alerios [~alerios@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: is nautilus-media meant to be in universe?08:12
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: hm, you mean it was an issue just with the en_US.UTF-8 definition?08:15
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: afaict, and probably others as well08:15
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: but it only manifests in this particular combination08:15
=== carlos [~carlos@69.Red-80-33-181.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: so I tried regressing libraries and stuff first, and ended up tearing hair out08:15
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) thought somebody'd reported it with en_AU.UTF-8 too08:15
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) same definition08:16
(daniels/#ubuntu-devel) (i'm running in en_AU.UTF-8 now)08:16
=== skyrider_univer [~skyrider@kid.stu.cn.ua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Fwiffo [~user@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128Kamion: yes08:22
seb128Kamion: it's not really useful and doesn't work very well08:22
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) hm, ok08:25
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) does that mean you don't want to handle its merge bug? :)08:25
seb128oh no, just assign it to me08:26
seb128I've probably zapped it08:26
=== ..[topic/#ubuntu-devel:elmo] : Ubuntu development -- general discussion and support on #ubuntu | Hoary is here: http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2004-October/000005.html | Want to help? see https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HoaryGoals | website downtime due to server reboots
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: ok08:28
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) can someone try logging into the website please?08:34
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) the ubuntulinux.org one I mean08:34
(jdz_/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: It works, I'm logged in.08:36
=== egon_ [~egon@suprimo-217.ping.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) jdz_: have you logged in just now though ?08:36
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) I need someone without an existing cookie to try logging, if possible08:36
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: works for me, logged in just now08:36
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: excellent thanks08:36
(jdz_/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: Just now. First time on this computer08:36
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) jdz_: thanks08:37
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) ok, now for the actual web server08:38
=== Kyaneos [~Kyaneos@80-26-153-10.adsl.nuria.telefonica-data.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== madduck_ [~madduck@madduck.developer.debian] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) mdz ain't around, is he...08:46
=== ..[topic/#ubuntu-devel:elmo] : Ubuntu development -- general discussion and support on #ubuntu | Hoary is here: http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2004-October/000005.html | Want to help? see https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HoaryGoals
=== madduck_ is now known as madduck
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) lamont_r: nope08:53
(amu/#ubuntu-devel) a usbcdrom is handled as sda or scd? 08:54
=== lamont_r prepares to upload apt_0.5.30ubuntu1
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) :-)08:55
seb128fabbione: here ?08:56
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) apt uploaded09:01
seb128somebody did a xfree warty-security upload ?09:03
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) daniels did, I think09:06
seb128an user is complaining on #ubuntu-fr that he can only use 640x480 now09:06
seb128and he was using 1024x768 before the security update09:06
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) so how do I force reportbugs to send the mail to a specific address, I wonder.09:07
=== tuhl [~tuhl@pD9E8BAF7.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== daniels [~daniels@george.kkhotels.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== enrico [~enrico@enrico.developer.debian] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== spotter [~spotter@dyn-160-39-243-18.dyn.columbia.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti [~martin@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbioneseb128: X belongs to daniels now :-)09:43
seb128BTW do you have an idea on what could cause this ?09:43
seb128I would like to reply something to the guy09:44
fabbioneseb128: probably an inconsistency in the debconf information09:44
fabbioneseb128: just tell him to use dpkg-reconfigure09:44
danielswhat'd I miss?09:46
seb128daniels: 09:47
seb128<seb128> an user is complaining on #ubuntu-fr that he can only use 640x480 now09:47
seb128<seb128> and he was using 1024x768 before the security update09:47
danielsthat's complete crack.  nothing changed but libXpm.09:47
seb128thanks :)09:48
danielsno worries09:48
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) @ERROR: max connections (25) reached - try again later10:00
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) r10:00
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) sigh...10:00
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) should archive.ubuntu.com be happier?10:00
=== mxpxpod is now known as mx|gone
fabbioneMithrandir: are you still around?10:04
fabbionedaniels: we need to prepare a few slides for the talk...10:04
fabbionedaniels: and decide what to talk about10:04
(amu/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: 20:13 <Mithrandir> I'm off for some food and beer10:05
fabbioneamu: thanks :-)10:05
(amu/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: he told me also ... , drop me a /msg .... 10:06
fabbioneit's nothing urgent10:07
=== hazmat [~hazmat@register.rice.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tuhl [~tuhl@pD9E8BAF7.dip.t-dialin.net] has left #ubuntu-devel []
fabbionelamont_r: and this update is going to take forever10:09
fabbionexorg and xfree86 the same day10:09
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: shame on you. :-)10:10
fabbioneno no10:10
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) hehe10:10
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) really? well shame on daniels then. :-)10:10
fabbionei _didn't_ want to use the C4P5 L0CK10:10
seb128fabbione: what do you do know so ? :)10:10
fabbioneseb128: keeping an eye on daniels :P10:11
seb128ah ah10:11
fabbioneif he fucks up i am going to hunt him down like an eagle on a rat10:11
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: you're not going to be doing X maintenance for debian or ubuntu?10:12
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) whatcha going to be doing?10:12
fabbionejdub: other stuff10:13
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) heh10:13
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) no kidding!10:13
danielsfabbione: yeah10:13
danielsfabbione: not now though10:13
danielsfabbione: if i'm not working and i'm behind a computer, it's fd.o10:13
fabbionedaniels: j/k kid :P10:14
fabbionedaniels: for the presentation it's enough we think about something during Mataro10:14
fabbioneno need to do it *right now*10:14
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: ?10:29
=== mx|gone is now known as mxpxpod
(lifeless/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: so how is the recovery coming?10:33
=== FTTP [FTTP@207-38-252-211.c3-0.wsd-ubr1.qens-wsd.ny.cable.rcn.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
FTTPfabio! :)10:35
FTTPi sent u a bug report earlier 10:36
mxpxpoddaniels: any progress on the xorg utf-8 thing?10:36
FTTPdunno if its a bug or not 10:36
FTTPfabbione:  is there a workaround for monitors that dont provide appropriate DDC?10:37
fabbioneFTTP = Adam?10:37
FTTPi left some comment10:37
fabbionei am reading them now10:38
FTTPi only put reopen cause i had some additional comments10:38
FTTPnot sure if it was worthy of reopen10:38
fabbione"am I correct in assuming that Windows 10:39
fabbionecant correctly detect this information either? "10:39
danielsmxpxpod: fixed10:39
FTTPi figured that10:39
danielslifeless: yeah, not too bad thanks10:39
fabbioneif it detects higher rates than what the monitor can really handle it's a bug10:39
mxpxpoddaniels: nice10:39
danielslifeless: just making LDAP my bitch10:39
pittielmo: back, phone10:39
=== jdz_ [~jdz@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mxpxpoddaniels: when's it going to be uploaded?10:39
fabbioneFTTP: also.. there are monitors that claims to be DDC compliant and they are not10:39
fabbioneFTTP: it won't be the first time10:39
danielsmxpxpod: probably two days10:40
FTTPfabbione:  right..... i understand.....10:40
fabbioneFTTP: nv or nvidia makes no difference. The driver comes from the same people10:40
fabbioneFTTP: other than 3d features10:40
mxpxpoddaniels: also, what's up with fonts on xorg... example: http://www.reigndropsfall.net/screenshots/coaster-main.png compared to http://www.reigndropsfall.net/screenshots/coaster-main-new.png10:40
fabbioneit's exactly the same crap10:40
FTTPfabbione:   ok, on the refresh rate issue10:40
fabbioneFTTP: please wait for the next X release. We have a bunch of updates for the nv driver10:41
(lifeless/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: cool10:41
FTTPfabbione:  Yep :)10:41
fabbioneiirc it includes also something DDC related10:41
danielsmxpxpod: they look nice on -new and crap on -main?10:41
fabbioneFTTP: i am talking about X.org 1ubuntu4 at least10:41
mxpxpoddaniels: they look strange on -new10:41
fabbionenot the one that come out today10:41
FTTPfabbione:  can the xfree you use tho handle the higher refresh rates where its just an X config problem?10:42
mxpxpoddaniels: I guess I'm just used to the way they look in -main10:42
fabbioneFTTP: as last thing, please add your config file and /var/log/Xorg.0.og to the bug10:42
danielsmxpxpod: to me, that's a 100% improvement :)10:42
mxpxpoddaniels: really?10:42
fabbioneFTTP: that's a very hairy thing.10:42
FTTPfabbione:  Hairy? 10:43
spotteranyone here suffering from frequent crashes in evolution in hoary?10:43
mxpxpoddaniels: to me, it looks like the letters are running into each other10:43
fabbioneFTTP: the protocol works more or less in this way:10:43
danielsmxpxpod: mmm10:43
FTTPfabbione:  See my monitor can do higher refresh rates in windows ......10:43
fabbioneFTTP: driver attempts to detect rates.10:43
mxpxpoddaniels: especially when e and a are together10:43
FTTPim wondering if its just the xfree config file causing the lower rates to be used10:43
(ironwolf/#ubuntu-devel) spotter: yes *must be daniels fault*10:43
fabbioneFTTP: than it grabs the info from the config file10:43
fabbioneFTTP: let me finish please :-)10:44
=== spotter wonders what ironwolf has against daniels
=== spotter is now known as shaya
fabbioneFTTP: now the black magic happen10:44
=== ironwolf loves daniels... he's the xorg God. :)
fabbioneFTTP: where there are 4 combinations10:44
fabbionea) ddc return - data in config file -> driver uses the safest data from the two set of info10:45
fabbioneso for ex.10:45
mxpxpoddaniels: btw, you've done a good job on xorg for ubuntu10:45
fabbioneddc returns a VertSync 49-12010:45
danielsfabbione needs credit for xorg too tho10:45
fabbioneconfig has 50-8010:45
fabbioneconfig has 40-8010:46
fabbionethe safe value is 49-8010:46
mxpxpodfabbione: good job10:46
fabbionemxpxpod: thanks :-)10:46
fabbioneFTTP: are you following me?10:46
mxpxpodI didn't think any debian based distro would have it for years10:46
fabbioneb) ddc return - no config info10:46
fabbionethe driver has to trust the ddc info10:47
fabbionec) no ddc return - config info10:47
fabbionethe driver trust what you say10:47
fabbioned) no ddc - no config10:47
fabbionethe driver goes bana10:47
fabbioneso basically the combination is not simple10:47
fabbionein your case you might have to try to disable the values in the config10:47
fabbionebut this is something we canNOT do by default10:48
fabbionewe can't allow people to hit case d)10:48
FTTPfabbione:  it did an excellent job in making it work10:48
fabbionethat's because we chose a safe and reliable path10:49
fabbionefor "details"10:49
fabbionethat's up to the user10:49
fabbionewe can't push over what we know10:49
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: if you need me to punch ironwolf, just say so. :-)10:49
fabbionesimply because i can't efford to start replacing monitors all over the glob10:49
jdz_fabbione, very good to know, thanks!10:50
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) oh wait, common guest-rules prevent that.10:50
=== ironwolf loves fabbione too.... just less. ;)
fabbioneironwolf: ?!?!10:50
FTTPright....... would be nice tho if those could be selected in an easier manner 10:50
(ironwolf/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: was in response to something someone said.10:50
fabbioneFTTP: we are going to re-discuss the autodetection implementation in Mataro during DecConf10:51
FTTPok thanks :)10:51
FTTPfabbione:  Seems like you already know about this stuff 10:51
fabbioneFTTP: it's kinda like because i have been maintaing X for almost a year?10:51
fabbioneFTTP: if you want some fun try this:10:51
FTTPfabbione:  no no i mean the bug i reported which is not a bug :)10:51
fabbioneexit from X10:51
FTTPyeah your work is excellent10:52
(infinity/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione : That IS fun!10:52
fabbionemv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup10:52
fabbioneand restart X10:52
FTTPim not in linux right now but ill try that 10:52
fabbioneyou will test the new Xorg autodetecion policy engine10:52
fabbioneno need to reconfigure anything10:52
=== mako_ [mako@micha.hampshire.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbionejust run it :)10:52
FTTPsounds kewl10:52
=== jdz_ runs off to try it
fabbioneFTTP: we don't know how good it is yet10:53
FTTPfabbione did u put the files u wanted me to send over in the bug report ?10:53
FTTPeasier for me to remember that way10:53
fabbioneFTTP: i can't put YOUR files in the bug report :-)10:53
FTTPno i mean the names10:53
fabbionejust your config and your Xorg.0.log10:53
fabbioneno i didn't10:53
fabbione /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log10:53
FTTPwell ill just save that to notepad, no biggie10:54
FTTPim in windows now10:54
FTTPoh u mean for the new xorg detection mechanism?10:54
FTTPshould i send both over? 10:54
fabbioneno.. only the normal one please10:55
fabbioneplay and experiment AFTER10:55
FTTPfabbione wait xorg.conf is the config file?10:56
FTTPfor the current ?10:56
FTTPconfused me there10:56
fabbione jdz_ runs off to try it10:57
fabbionei killed a user10:57
fabbioneif he is not back in the next 2 minutes, there will be a new bug report for daniels10:57
FTTPquick question for any takers:  i need to redo my grub boot partition cause i had problems with windows 10:59
FTTPwhats the easiest way for me to reinstall grub without being able to get into my system?10:59
FTTPkinda sounds stupid i know 11:00
fabbioneFTTP: this is more for #ubuntu :P11:00
FTTPyeah i tried what they said 11:00
FTTPcouldnt get it to work 11:00
FTTPoh well ill ask there again, thanx11:01
FTTPmaybe i did it wrong11:01
FTTPits coming across nicely tho11:02
FTTPcant wait for hoary :)11:02
fabbionegood night everybody11:03
(sivang/#ubuntu-devel) night fabbione11:04
FTTPnight fabbione11:04
FTTPthanks 11:04
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: ??11:08
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) +ackages.gz Sub-process bzip2 returned an error code (100)11:09
=== lamont_r giggles
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) grumble11:09
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) 26-7=19. 4 hours probably too long11:10
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) grumble11:10
(ironwolf/#ubuntu-devel) night fabbione11:13
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: you around?11:14
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) why does python-gtk2_2.4.1.orig.tar.gz have a bogus md5sum?11:14
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) grumble.11:14
=== lamont_r will fix
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) just had the need to bitch, and all that.11:14
mvo_lamont_r: where did you got the "Packages.gz Sub-progcess bzip2" error?11:15
seb128the md5 is bogus ? or that was you ? :)11:15
seb128I got this one too11:15
seb128on a fresh install while doing an apt-get update11:15
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) mvo_: that was the latest round of debian-installer build failures.11:15
seb128bzip2 was not installed11:15
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) fixed by upgrading apt to the current version11:16
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) right.11:16
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) 0.5.30ubuntu1 Depends: bzip2 11:16
mvo_ah, great11:16
=== dasenjo [~dasenjo@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lamont_r is unsure why python-gtk2 is bad-md5sum...
seb128should not, I've not changed the orig.tar.gz in hoary11:18
seb128jdub: around ?11:19
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) mvo_: and bug filed with debian11:34
mvo_lamont_r: about the bzip2? 11:35
mvo_it's not yet in debian apt IIRC11:36
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) yes11:36
mvo_I wrote it yesterday I think11:36
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) Why install postfix at all ? Procmail would do the same job.11:36
=== lamont_r snickers
mvo_or the day before maybe11:36
=== alerios [~alerios@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mvo_isn't that cool? we file bugs before they even can happen ;)11:37
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) mvo_: I figured it was mdz's package, with a debian-native version number, so _must_ be in debian, right?11:41
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) except that the bug is in .30, and debian has .27... oops.11:41
mvo_he will merge the stuff pretty soon I guess11:44
mvo_IIRC there is nothing ubuntu specific in the diffs11:45
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) well, he has to get back from vacation first. :-)11:45
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) or whatever he's doing that he's away from the computer...11:45
mvo_heh :) he'll be back on monday I think?11:46
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) yeah11:46
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: here11:51
seb128jdub: could you comment on #3871 :)11:52
seb128I don't remember exactly the details of what we have decided about this11:52
pittiKamion: still here?11:53
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: definitely no template files by default11:53
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: as discussed on list11:53
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: actually seeding the directories... undecided. :)11:54
pittidaniels: here?11:54
danielsah, yeah11:54
danielswanted to talk to you about the CAN stuff11:54
danielsit appears CAN 0914(?) is relevant to our xfree86 update (sigh; I explicitly asked if there was a new one, and was told no)11:55
seb128jdub: ok, so no decision about if/where ~/Templates should be created ...11:57
seb128jdub: thanks11:57

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!