=== Fwiffo_ [~user@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiOUT NOW: new warty kernels12:14
seb128jdub: what's the rationnal to not provide any Templates ? I've read the discussion about this, the idea has been finally dropped but not sure of why12:14
pittiadvisory novel sent out, kthxbye and good night everybody!12:15
seb128'night pitti 12:15
pittiNight seb128!12:15
danielsnight pitti12:16
mvo_night pitti 12:17
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: that's the user's space. if we add templates, admins add templates, packages add templates, and everyone adds templates... it'll be as useless as the Windows "New" menu12:17
seb128right ..12:18
=== BradB [~bradb@modemcable010.194-131-66.mc.videotron.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mirak [~mirak@AAubervilliers-152-1-46-46.w83-114.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
calcso the user has to make their own templates?12:30
calcor copy them into a special dir from somewhere else?12:31
=== jdub fears pitti's latest security release
=== hazmat [~hazmat@register.rice.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Keybuk [scott@descent.netsplit.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== BradB [~bradb@modemcable010.194-131-66.mc.videotron.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) lamont_r: apt depending on bzip2 sounds bogus, since that makes bzip2 effectively Essential: yes; can't it just fall back quietly to gzip if bzip2 isn't installed?12:46
mvo_Kamion: I can do this tomorrow12:54
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) mvo_: thanks12:57
=== herzi [~herzi@d044154.adsl.hansenet.de] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== ironwolf [~ironwolf@c-24-6-251-226.client.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== _rene_ [~rene@dsl-213-023-033-008.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== srbaker [~srbaker@blk-222-13-66.eastlink.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: very true...01:51
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: was after something to unbreak the archive, as in 'fix it right now to not be dead anymore'...01:53
=== nmf [~nmf@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== BradB [~bradb@modemcable202.193-131-66.mc.videotron.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jdz_ [~jdz@chpau.oxfordnetworks.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) $ cat /proc/cpufreq02:53
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) minimum CPU frequency - maximum CPU frequency - policy02:53
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) CPU 0 600000 kHz ( 42 %) - 1000000 kHz ( 71 %) - userspace02:53
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) 02:53
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) eh, bong02:54
danielsjdub: 600MHz -> 1GHz?02:54
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) mmm, should be 1.4 (100%)02:54
(mjg59/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: Doesn't that just mean that userspace has set the maximum frequency to 1GHz?02:59
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) what's set it?03:00
(mjg59/#ubuntu-devel) Dunno03:00
(mjg59/#ubuntu-devel) The proc interface is deprecated, anyway03:00
(mjg59/#ubuntu-devel) Fiddle with stuff in /sys03:00
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) $ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq03:01
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) 140000003:01
=== shaya [~spotter@user-0ccembr.cable.mindspring.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
shayais sed safe again?03:04
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) yes03:04
=== moyogo [~moyogo@HSE-Sherbrooke-ppp78413.qc.sympatico.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
moyogoahhh, my nautilus and gnome-panel are dead03:14
=== jamesh [~james@203-59-50-191.dyn.iinet.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== asw [~Alexander@node-423a728a.bos.onnet.us.uu.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== BradB [~bradb@modemcable202.193-131-66.mc.videotron.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hazmat [~hazmat@register.rice.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== BradB [~bradb@modemcable202.193-131-66.mc.videotron.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lamont_p [~upirc@c-24-6-251-226.client.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamont_ppalm ui sucks for irc04:02
=== lamont_p [~upirc@c-24-6-251-226.client.comcast.net] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== mxpxpod [~bryan@mxpxpod.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mxpxpoddaniels: ping04:17
=== sivang [~sivang@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mxpxpoddaniels: ok, I have another font issue... tiles look like hash marks with bitstream vera sans04:20
danielsi have no idea, sorry04:20
danielsfonts hurt my head04:20
mxpxpoddaniels: ok, didn't know if you knew04:21
=== lamont_p [~upirc@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mxpxpoddaniels: what do you have your dpi set to?04:22
daniels75, probably04:23
=== lamont_p2 [~upirc@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lamont_p2 is now known as lamont_p
lamont_psigh.  ma04:42
lamont_px chan count of _2_04:42
=== lamont_p [~upirc@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== alerios [~alerios@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== moyogo [~moyogo@HSE-Sherbrooke-ppp78413.qc.sympatico.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== alerios [~alerios@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dasenjo [~dasenjo@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lamont_p [~upirc@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== steve [~steve@static24-72-77-242.regina.accesscomm.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dasenjo [~dasenjo@] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== steve [~steve@hsdbrg142-165-192-138.sasknet.sk.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lamont_r ponders news readers... should he put emacs21 or lynx in the alternatives list?
=== pitti [~martin@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tuo2 [~foo@adsl-36-114.swiftdsl.com.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiMorning everybody!08:59
=== pitti watches the snow falling
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: mm, sounds nice :) morning09:00
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) it's very, very hot here09:00
pittijdub: we have -1C here09:00
pittijdub: for me it's odd to imagine to celebrate Xmas in short pants :-)09:00
(jk/#ubuntu-devel) 22:40 @ Xiph| maar op de HCC stond er een meisje09:05
(jk/#ubuntu-devel) 22:40 @ Xiph| en die was _zo_ _mooi_09:05
(jk/#ubuntu-devel) oops09:05
tuo2pitti: it's 22c here atm.09:07
fabbionepitti: just for lazyness, is the CAN for the kernel fixed in hoary?09:14
pittifabbione: according to Herbert yes09:14
fabbioneTotal 197 package(s)09:15
fabbione(left to build on phase0)09:15
fabbionei think we overlooked something...09:37
fabbionexfree86 in warty ubuntu25.109:37
fabbionein hoary 2509:37
fabbionewe should probably do the last xfree86 upload with server only09:37
fabbioneand the security fix09:37
fabbioneeven if it is not involved09:38
fabbionethat would alligm the packages properly09:38
fabbioneotherwise the source is still contaminated09:40
=== seb128 [~seb128@ANancy-151-1-8-9.w83-194.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbionemorning seb :-)09:57
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: daniels up yet?10:07
fabbionelamont_r: no idea... he is uk10:07
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: gnome-applets wasn't happy yesterday, btw10:08
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: ah, ok10:08
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) http://people.ubuntu.com/~lamont/daniels/ has ia64 MANIFEST for xorg10:08
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) and I'm going to sleep now.10:08
fabbionelamont_r: cool thanks10:08
fabbionedid you add .ia64 .ia64.new ?10:09
fabbionebecause we need both10:09
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: debian/*ia64*10:09
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) and msg'ed to him as well. :-)10:10
=== lamont_r sleeps
fabbionenight :-)10:10
=== pitti [~martin@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jdub cheers pitti on hal list
pittijdub: I don't really understand why David insists on the "root, root everywhere" paradigma10:26
=== jdub doesn't either - his email sounded really odd
pittiseb128: Hi! Thanks for demozillafying swfdec! Was it reasonably easy?10:26
=== mzarza [~mzarza@26.Red-81-45-239.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128np, yes it was pretty easy10:27
=== mzarza is now known as trukulo
trukulohi ppl10:27
=== egon_ [~egon@suprimo-231.ping.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
trukulomorning too :)10:27
pittimvo_: Egon! I always knew!!! Now it's public10:28
=== pitti chuckles
mvo_morning pitti 10:29
pittimvo_: Morning! :-) BTW, you should correct the subject of your activity reports if you send them after midnight :-)10:29
mvo_I should stop working before midnight :)10:30
pittimvo_: I have told this to myself for weeks now, but I eventually gave up10:31
mvo_it's a hard time for security people. too many things to fix :/10:31
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: vicious kernel update, btw.10:32
pittimvo_: actually it calmed down a little. Three weeks ago I did nothing else, though10:32
pittijdub: why, did something break?10:32
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: no, just the number of fixes10:33
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) surprising and scary10:33
pittijdub: oh, yes. It was half a novel of an advisory :-)10:33
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) started reading the advisory... "ow, that's bad"... "oh, there's more"... "oh, more..."10:33
=== daniels [~daniels@host217-37-231-28.in-addr.btopenworld.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittijdub: but given the amount of time, monkeys and typewriters that you actually need to exploit this ELF bug, delaying the update to accumulate some patches did not really hurt10:34
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) heh10:34
pittijdub: the smbfs thingy was more serious, though10:34
fabbionehey daniels 10:37
pittiHi daniels 10:37
fabbionedaniels: we need to do a xfree86 upload into hoary10:37
danielsfabbione: mmm10:37
fabbionehoary: ubuntu25 <- no sec fix10:38
danielswe can just retarget .1 to hoary10:38
fabbionewarty: ubuntu25.1 + security fix10:38
fabbioneno we can't10:38
fabbionelet me finish10:38
fabbionethe source is contaminated10:38
fabbionemy idea is to upload a .26 that will build only the servers10:38
fabbionethat's all we need at the end10:38
fabbioneand after that move them into universe10:39
danielswhat do you mean, source is contaminated?10:39
fabbionedaniels: if you do apt-get source xfree86 in hoary10:39
trukulofabbione, do you know where can i find nxfree packages for debian? want to make a test about that on conferences10:39
fabbioneyou don't get the security update10:39
fabbionetrukulo: no sorry10:39
trukuloand you daniels ?10:40
trukulonow that kalyxo and fdo are down...10:40
fabbionedaniels: the changes should be pretty simple.. so i can take care of it10:40
danielstrukulo: dunno, i only knew it was hosted on kalyxo10:40
fabbionedaniels: there is no need for you to work on it10:40
trukulothx anyway10:41
danielsfabbione: right -- so why not just do a ubuntu26 with no changes other than 25->25.1?10:41
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) trukulo: Mithrandir might know, when he's around10:41
fabbionedaniels: because a simple .26 will bring all the libs with it10:41
trukulothanks jdub, i'll ask him10:41
fabbionedaniels: and katie will reject the upload10:41
fabbionedaniels: because there are newer versions from x.org10:41
fabbioneto be more precise katie will reject the binaries from the buildd10:42
fabbionenot the source10:42
danielspersonally I think we could well kill off xfree86 in hoary altogether, but -- your call10:42
fabbionedaniels: i think we should keep it around still for a little bit10:43
fabbionespecially when a massive amount of people will start switching to hoary10:43
fabbionebut for sure we will kill it before release10:43
=== skyrider_univer is now known as skyrider
fabbionei would say to keep it around until the beginning of Febrary10:44
fabbioneFebruary even10:44
pittielmo: can you please sync pmount 0.4.2-1 from Debian? 10:45
fabbionejust that people can still switch back and forward if needed10:45
danielsis there really a call for doing that, thought?10:45
danielsgiven how much of '4.3.0' was really from xorg10:45
fabbionedaniels: well our x.org isn't that spreaded around yet10:45
danielsbut if we create an xserver-xfree86 package that just deps xserver-xorg ...10:46
fabbioneso if the new server doesn't work for somebody and the fix can take long time10:46
fabbionethey can still revert and use the old one10:46
danielsi think that kind of regression would be staggeringly rare, though10:46
fabbionei agree, but it is still a possibility10:46
danielsi mean, given nv was from xorg wholesale, and massive chunks of ati were also10:46
pittifabbione: do the irc logs have a new URL? The old one just gives 40410:46
tuo2daniels: how's the recovery going?10:47
fabbionepitti: yes.10:47
danielsalright, your call -- I just think we should take the opportunity to trim down our hoary support obligations10:47
danielstuo2: very, very good10:47
fabbionedaniels: moving it to universe = no support10:47
fabbionedaniels: just a goodie for people to revert if required10:48
tuo2daniels: nice one. Normally a compromise recovery is a PITA.10:48
pittifabbione: hmm, wrong question. Can you please tell me the new URL? :-)10:48
danielsfabbione: i suppose10:48
fabbionepitti: there is a temporary URL, but i forgot to tell elmo to add the alias10:48
fabbionepitti: people.u.c/~fabbione/10:49
pittifabbione: ah, thanks10:49
fabbioneno problem10:49
danielstuo2: yes, but the amount of stuff we got done last night (i got ldap authentication and userdir-ldap working, plus dns, mail and the lists processing, plus got a couple of archives up; infinity and cworth got moin and virtual hosting working properly; keithp got pserver working)10:49
danielstuo2: plus the fact we're doing it really well, unlike the previous pile of shit10:49
danielsanyway, off-topic10:49
=== Matt| [~Matt|@81-178-88-128.dsl.pipex.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: I don't see why removing any entries from /etc/hosts should change anything, as the application gets the IPv6 address to connect to from DNS.10:58
fabbionehey Mithrandir 10:59
trukuloMithrandir, do you know where i can get freenx that were on kalyxo?10:59
trukuloand morning10:59
fabbionetrukulo: why not trying googling?10:59
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) hi fabbione, trukulo10:59
fabbioneMithrandir: i found something you can start to play with :-)10:59
trukulofabbione, i did11:00
fabbioneMithrandir: linux-kernel-*_sparc.deb ;)11:00
trukulobut fdo and kalyxo are down11:00
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: rock.11:00
fabbioneMithrandir: that needs quite a lot of love..11:00
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) trukulo: it's freedesktop.org; daniels is working on it and it should be back withing a few days.11:00
fabbioneMithrandir: and clearly we will need the *-di-* kernel too11:01
trukulook, thx anyway, but i already know that11:01
trukulotry to continue searching11:01
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) trukulo: I'd just wait a few days11:01
trukuloyes, but i want them to make a demo for conference, and want to try them well before11:02
trukulook, forget me and keep on working :)11:03
seb128Kamion: not sure than "nautilus" is better than "UNKNOW" if the bug is not a nautilus one ... do we have a "general" component or something like that ?11:08
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: afraid not11:09
seb128Kamion: if that's "nautilus" it'll stay on my list and nobody is going to handle it11:09
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) where would be better?11:09
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) I was assuming that it must be some part of GNOME11:10
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) it's certainly not the job of anything beneath that11:10
seb128or skel :)11:10
fabbionedaniels: does the patch from x.org/patches include the previous CAN fixes or it has to be applied on top?11:10
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) yeuch, if I could veto that I would11:10
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) even so, it would be GNOME's responsibility to add it to skel if such a solution were being considered11:10
seb128we already had this discussion11:11
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) it is not the responsibility of the base system, definitely11:11
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) so ... is there a suitable base GNOME package?11:11
seb128the problem with the assignement to nautilus is that it's in y list of bug and I'm not going to take a decision on this11:11
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) if not I guess assigned to you but component UNKNOWN would be workable11:11
seb128I'll reassign to mdz or jdub11:12
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) bleh, ok11:12
seb128the problem is:11:12
seb1281- I'm not sure we need to create it by default11:12
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: you're okay with other packages adding stuff to skel?11:12
seb1282- which part should create it (the installation or an app)11:12
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: oh, sorry, I didn't realise that you had already reassigned it to UNKNOWN11:13
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: I wish bugzilla showed me that in the web history of the bug11:13
seb128we should have a component "general distro issue"11:13
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: /etc/skel is *there* for other packages to add stuff to; but since you ask I'm not OK with non-dotfiles being created there11:13
seb128jdub: doable ?11:13
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: i didn't think your earlier explanation was convincing enough for me to see why it was dangerous. it sounded more like "obviously it is bad". could you write some more about why it's a bad idea in that bug?11:14
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: it means that users who never use the desktop get this directory they never care about, and it suggests that some part of GNOME has a bug because it's relying on /etc/skel and adduser to create a directory it should be taking care of itself.11:14
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) this isn't a gnome policy thouhg, it's a distro policy11:15
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: also, some people use useradd, which doesn't create that directory (it was even in some documentation on our wiki for a while)11:15
=== martink [~martin@pD9EB216C.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128GNOME doesn't rely on it, it just use it if available11:15
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) it also means only locally created users will get the directory11:15
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) Mithrandir: indeed, was just going to get on to that11:15
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) NIS/NFS systems are a reality11:16
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: distros can patch GNOME :)11:16
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) as well as systems being upgraded from what we have now.11:16
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: by "GNOME bug" I mean "bug in GNOME as configured for us"11:16
danielsfabbione: 6.8.1 includes the fixes for 0687 and 0688 already, so it needs to be applied on top of the existing package11:16
fabbionedaniels: i was more wondering about xfree86 :-)11:17
danielsfabbione: er yeah, just badly phrased, sorry11:17
danielsfabbione: so you'll need to apply it on top of the 0687/0688 fixes you already have11:17
fabbionedid you apply that patch on top 000_stolen_from_x.org.diff ?11:17
danielsit looks like that code changed in x.org (hurrah!)11:18
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: done11:18
danielsso you need to dig the original xpm-sec7.patch (or .diff) from your mailbox, and use that instead11:18
danielsbecause that applies cleanly against xfree86 with the 0687/0688 patch11:18
fabbionedaniels: ah ok11:18
fabbionei was rediffin the other one11:18
danielswalking that route is pain; just grab mathieu's xpm-sec7 and apply it on top of what you have already11:19
danielsno worries11:19
fabbionei got the same rejects11:21
fabbionenever mind11:21
fabbionethey are trivial to fix11:22
fabbionemost of them just white spaces11:22
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: comments added to bug11:22
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: (I have a "New Ubuntu bugs" query; I've been trying to go through it each morning and assign as many of the debzilla@ubuntu.com / UNKNOWN bugs somewhere, since they tend to get lost otherwise ...)11:23
danielsfabbione: remove #099d11:24
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: thanks!11:24
danielsfabbione: #099d is the single thing that's breaking UTF-8 support11:24
(azeem/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: did you have time to try those multisync packages?11:24
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) azeem: yeah, i was telling you about them as i was using them :)11:24
(azeem/#ubuntu-devel) ah, so they work for you?11:25
pittielmo: thanks11:25
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) yes11:25
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) but multisync makes me cry :|11:25
(azeem/#ubuntu-devel) yeah, yeah11:25
fabbionedaniels: ah11:26
(azeem/#ubuntu-devel) there was an initial opensync release last week I believe11:26
seb128Kamion: right. We should have a "general purpose" component 11:26
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: would be fine by me11:26
seb128jdub: "general purpose" component doable ? :)11:26
seb128or whatever is the name11:26
seb128a component for general distro issues11:26
danielsfabbione: how were the manpages actually corrupted?11:26
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: (workflow: UNKNOWN = nobody has dealt with this yet; general = somebody has looked at this, but diagnosis suggests it requires widespread changes)11:27
fabbionedaniels: there were __something__ not being parsed properly11:27
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: yeah11:27
danielsfabbione: blah11:27
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) hm, we have a lot of open merge bugs on universe11:28
danielsfabbione: right now I'll take the manpage hit for UTF-8 in Hoary11:28
danielsfabbione: i'll open up the Debian bug and we can work on it11:28
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: what was the directory creatino bug # ?11:28
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: <perks up> man page bugs?11:28
fabbionedaniels: the problem is only in xorg11:29
fabbionedaniels: due to that crackified patch11:29
danielsKamion: http://bugs.debian.org/25999611:29
danielsKamion: the patch for that is what's smacking UTF-8 locales to hell in Hoary11:29
seb128jdub: 387111:29
danielsKamion: since you're our cheap imit^W^Wnew shiny mdz, d'you know if there's any way to import Debian bugs into our BZZ?11:30
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: I know (in the abstract) how mdz did it, but I don't have access ...11:30
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: who's got access to debzilla on macquarie? AFAIK it runs under mdz's userid or something similarly crackful11:31
danielsyeah, it involves SSHing to macquarie (which I can't do), as mdz (which I can't do), and then running a script :)11:31
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: yes, it is :(11:32
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) if you know what commands to run, I can do that11:32
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: I don't, I'm afraid; might be able to find out11:32
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: thanks11:33
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: what was wrong with the original man page text? the hyphens?11:33
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: or something else?11:33
danielsKamion: the bug report's too incoherent for me to decipher11:34
danielsKamion: i plan to revert the patch and see ofr myself11:34
danielsKamion: but it looks like there's raw '\n' in the stream?11:34
mvo_is there a opionion about putting libgnome2-perl into main? it's needed by debconf if you want a non-text frontend.11:34
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: I *believe* it's 'debzilla-sync <bug numbers>', but I don't know if there's any weird environment crap required11:34
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: mdz's .bash_history might be greppable for that? :)11:34
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) mvo_: it sounded reasonable to me when it was last suggested11:35
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: was libgnome2-perl left out deliberately, or as an oversight?11:35
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) left out of main?11:35
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) I guess it pulls in a bunch of perl stuff, let's see11:35
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) yeah11:35
mvo_it's only 4 perl modules that a not yet in main (according to a shallow dependency view)11:36
mvo_libglib-perl, libgnome2-canvas-perl, libgnome2-vfs-perl, libgtk2-perl11:36
danielsKamion: heh11:36
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: \n> oh, I see, can't say I can decipher the bug report either11:37
danielsKamion: well, let's find out, shall we? :)11:37
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: perhaps it's that the trailing backslash is missing? comparing to current xterm(1) ...11:37
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: (the UTF-8 hyphen thing is due to using - rather than \-, BTW)11:39
danielsKamion: er, current xterm(1) is broken as hell anyway11:39
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) current in Debian ...11:39
danielsKamion: 'The default bindings in the VT102 window are:' -- everything below here is absolute arse11:39
danielsKamion: well, Ubuntu11:39
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: nothing depended on it, wasn't of great interest, etc. :)11:39
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) it looks OK to me on Debian, there's some overflowing lines but apart from that it's fine11:39
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: ah, we missed the suggests from debconf then11:40
danielsKamion: yeah, it's broken as hell on Ubuntu, UTF-8 or not11:40
=== Kamion chroots to look
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: (i don't buy into supporting the bindings if we don't have anything or anyone (customers, user demand) that uses them)11:40
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) bleh! yes11:41
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: synaptic wants to pop up the GNOME frontend to debconf by default11:41
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: so will we, eventually :)11:41
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) (graphical d-i => graphical base-config)11:41
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) yeah11:42
=== jdub growls at generated gui hate
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) sucks the salt out of baby jesus' eye sockets11:42
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: oh, I see, newlines being eaten11:42
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: depends on the direction you're coming at it from; you could argue that a generated gui is better than no gui11:43
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) i wouldn't11:43
danielsjdub: heh!11:43
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) at least for consistency of presentation if you have other gui pieces11:43
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) no gui means no stupid questions :-)11:43
danielsjdub: body shots off baby jesus?11:43
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: you'd rather have some gui bits and then flip back to text mode?11:43
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: don't tell sabdfl 11:43
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: no stupid questions! :)11:43
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub, meet reality ;-)11:44
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: gui != questions, consider progress bar for installing packages11:44
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) ...11:44
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) no stupid questions!11:44
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) (not that we have one of those in debconf yet, but we will)11:44
danielsKamion: we tried introducing them once before, but they just sort of sat across the room and scowled at each other, then jeff told his friend to tell reality he was a tool11:44
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) it's bloody hard making a generated gui work nicely11:45
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) so hard, i don't think it's worth bothering11:45
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) you end up with ncurses + 3d buttons11:46
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) it's perfectly fine for simple dialogs11:46
danielsjdub: THREE DEE11:46
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: dude, you could use zenity for all the d-i gui stuff :)11:46
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: yabbut that's all you need for a package-installation progress bar11:47
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) zenity? *looks*11:47
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) heh11:47
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) it's pretty rad11:47
mvo_jdub: so you rather would like to remove the "configure" menu option in synaptic? 11:47
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) well, debconf supports Xdialog, so theoretically11:47
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) mvo_: settings menu?11:48
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) not sure it wouldn't be a major negative surprise to people running debconf in an xterm though11:48
mvo_there is a option to configure debconf packages in synaptic. it depends on libgnome2-perl though. 11:48
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) oh right11:48
seb128elmo: gnome-keyring sync please11:48
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) yeah, that's what Kamion was talking about11:48
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: done11:49
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) also, if we're doing graphical base-config, I rather suspect it won't have a terminal at all, which will make it difficult to revert to text mode ;)11:49
mvo_I just wonder if we shouldn't remove the option from synaptic if we don't want libgnome2-perl in main anyway11:50
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) mvo_: looks like I want it in main and jdub disagrees11:50
mvo_it has my vote for main too :)11:50
danielshold on ... we branched off -611:50
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) anyone want to do an equivalent of /usr/share/pixmaps/debian-logo.png for Ubuntu, for the debconf GNOME frontend?11:50
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: oh, i don't disagree, just saying what we did for warty11:50
danielsKamion: could you please set a UTF-8 locale in sid (4.3.0.dfsg.1-7) and tell me if it's arse?11:51
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: I run UTF-8 pretty much everywhere11:51
danielsKamion: quickest way to tell is to start gedit on the console and see if it bitches really loudly11:51
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: yeah11:51
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: file me a bug :)11:51
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) mkay :)11:51
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) hey, how come I can't reassign bugs to the Live CD product?11:51
=== lupus_ [~lupus@kn-ivl-2.kuleuven.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128elmo: thanks11:53
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: ah, ok; mind if I add it to supported now then?11:53
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) ok11:57
=== lifeless [~robertc@dsl-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) mvo_: done, not installed by default though12:00
mvo_Kamion: thanks!12:01
=== enrico [~enrico@enrico.developer.debian] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: please sync bittornado (universe)12:13
=== herzi [~herzi@d044154.adsl.hansenet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: please sync bayonne (universe); capi20 support added upstream so the warty change is obsolete now12:17
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: please sync aqsis (universe); libtiff4 transition done in Debian12:19
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: please sync albatross (universe)12:19
=== Kamion wonders if elmo would prefer the flood by e-mail
lupus_xmms is broken in woody after recent security updates12:20
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) woody?12:21
fabbioneelmo: can you compare ubuntu python-gtk2_2.4.1-1 orig with the debian one? apparently there are some md5sum mismatches.12:23
fabbioneelmo: http://people.no-name-yet.com/~lamont/buildLogs/p/python-gtk2/2.4.1-1/12:24
fabbioneapparently the 2 are different12:25
fabbioneandour is wrong12:25
fabbioneand our12:25
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: please sync camlimages, cinepaint, ctypes, djvulibre, dx, ecasound (universe); misc build-dep stuff all fixed in Debian12:27
fabbioneKamion: is there any showstopper on hoary d-i ?12:28
fabbioneor can we start testing it?12:28
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: array cd 1 works fine; you can try it in hoary dailies but it's in major flux right now so expect breakage :)12:29
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: (though feel free to report breakage)12:30
fabbioneKamion: sure..12:30
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: I'm just in the middle of switching to udev/hotplug12:32
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) mvo_: apt upload> yay, thanks12:32
fabbioneKamion: cool12:33
mvo_Kamion: yeah, I broke it afterall :P12:34
lupus_I mean12:37
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) lupus_: please file a bug with details12:38
seb128the proftpd upgrade has broken my ftp12:56
=== carlos [~carlos@69.Red-80-33-181.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== skyrider is now known as skyrider_univer
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: dude, anyone can do that - if it's different, it's because a different one was originally upload to ubuntu.01:16
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: all done01:17
fabbioneelmo: dude.. i did check my side and the 2 differs, but after a sync from sid there are problems.01:18
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: why are you talking to me about it? it's not my problem01:19
fabbioneelmo: so since i don't have any way to fix it in the archive.. i was a) asking to confirm b) perhaps you can fix it, since you know what happened01:19
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) if we upload a different orig.tar.gz to ubuntu. we lose.01:19
fabbioneelmo: because i don't have the history of automatic sync?01:19
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) you don't need it01:19
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) and I can't fix it anymore than you can - as with any "orig.tar.gz filename clash", the upstream version needs changed01:20
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: thanks01:21
fabbioneelmo: can't we just replace the orig.tar.gz?01:21
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) no01:21
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) for exactly the same reason Debian won't do that01:21
seb128which package ?01:22
fabbioneseb128: python-gtk201:23
seb128we don't need to sync, but the .orig should be the same01:23
fabbioneit's not01:23
seb128ok, just ignore it so01:23
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: dude, we can't :)01:23
fabbioneseb128: it FTBFS :-)01:23
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: we have Debian's .dsc which refers to Debian's .orig.tar.gz, but we have Ubuntu's .orig.tar.gz01:24
seb128just redo a 2.4.1b tarball so :p01:24
fabbioneKamion: the netboot kernel and initrd.gz have changed location in the archive and they have been lost from the CD, do you want a bug for it?01:27
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: sure, debian-cd component01:28
fabbioneKamion: 388701:32
herzijdub: ping01:38
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: more universe stuff for you to sync: gem, gnome-gpg, grass, gtkhtml, gtkpbbuttons, hp2xx, hylafax, kdebase, kdegraphics, kdemultimedia, kdenetwork01:38
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) I've a horrible feeling that KDE is going to require fixes to build against X.org, but no way am I spending significant work time on that ...01:38
fabbioneKamion: sorry... i think i opened the same bug twice01:38
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) herzi: pong01:39
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: we'll have help :)01:39
herzijdub: can you plz update my hackerhead on planet? http://www.advogato.org/person/herzi/01:39
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: syncing01:39
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: np, duped01:39
fabbioneKamion: yeah.. middle air collision :)01:40
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) herzi: your eyes are closed and the contrast/colour is terrible :)01:40
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) mvo_: err, dude, I thought mdz explicitly wanted bz2 tried first?01:40
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: um ... that was a deliberate change, can you just unpack netboot/netboot.tar.gz now?01:40
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) that's certainly how he explained it to me, in any event01:40
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: it's got all the stuff in it, I didn't see any reason to waste CD space by duplicating it01:41
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) oh, I have to file all those fun Xserve d-i/kernel bugs - blah01:41
herzijdub: isn't that good for a hackergotchie? :)01:41
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) herzi: we have QA standards, dude ;)01:41
mvo_elmo: he put my patch in, I fix the piece and take the blame01:42
herziso if you update the hackergotchie we'll see whether the qa team is just you :)01:42
herzi.oO(why do people cann themselves a "team"?)01:42
fabbioneKamion: well... before it was one step less.. i had the symlinks poiting from the tftp area to the images...01:43
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) herzi: i recommend posting a photo for the gimpers to hackergotchi-ise :)01:43
fabbionenow i need to unpack and so on...01:43
fabbione(yeah.. it's lazyness)01:44
mvo_elmo: (the bzip2 patch was put in 0.5.30 by mdz)01:44
=== herzi blogs about lanet and QA now...
mvo_elmo: fear my pdiff patch ;)01:44
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: yeah, I know, but the netboot.tar.gz is convenient for people who don't have an existing setup01:44
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: although I guess I could unpack the whole lot onto the CD, and leave out netboot.tar.gz maybe?01:45
fabbioneKamion: i suggest to leave the netboot.tar.gz 01:46
=== lifeless_ [~robertc@dsl-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbioneit takes less space01:46
fabbioneKamion: perhaps you can leave just the kernel and initrd out?01:47
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) those are the bulk of the space, dude :)01:48
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) I might as well unpack the lot01:48
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) the rest is ~30KB01:48
fabbionelet's unpack it01:49
fabbioneso people can just mount the cd01:49
fabbioneand point the tftp to it01:49
fabbioneand BANG! it works01:49
fabbionenot even the need of untarring01:49
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) and actually the netboot.tar.gz seems to be negligibly smaller at best01:49
fabbioneKamion: 3905 is going to give you a lot of headacke01:55
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: hah. I hate udev sometimes01:58
fabbioneKamion: it's not only udev01:58
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: why is that bug on debian-cd?! :)01:58
fabbioneit's also hotplug01:58
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) yeah01:58
fabbionethey are the apocalipse of race conditions01:58
fabbioneso we have a netinstall component?01:59
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: I need to redesign ddetect for hotplug anyway, and that may fix it01:59
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) uh, no, dude, you don't file installer bugs against the CD :-)01:59
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) reassigned to partman01:59
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) debian-installer's the catch-all if you don't know the udeb involved01:59
fabbionebut it's not a partman fault01:59
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) it'll do for now01:59
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) maybe it's ddetect, we'll see02:00
fabbioneeheh ok02:00
=== Kamion flips it to ddetect
fabbioneargh.. my eyes!02:02
fabbioneah cool!02:04
fabbioneit's installing warty :-)02:04
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) what, hoary netboot?02:06
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) oops02:06
fabbioneKamion: http://www.fabbione.net/IMG_0632.JPG02:06
fabbionethis is phase 2 with framebuffer02:06
fabbioneother than the stripes on the monitor02:06
fabbionethat are caused by a almost broken video card02:06
fabbionethe "3D" effect seems broken...02:07
fabbioneKamion: yeah.. from netboot :P02:07
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: where did it say it was installing warty?02:08
fabbionesome apt lines02:08
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) before reboot?02:08
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) I thought I'd fixed all of that :(02:08
fabbioneno phase202:08
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) ./apt-setup.templates:7:Choices: warty, hoary02:09
fabbioneit's baseconfig02:09
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) ./apt-setup.templates:8:Default: warty02:09
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) hm, oops02:09
fabbionewe should kill that template02:09
=== Kamion fixes
fabbioneone installer x release02:09
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) nah02:09
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) it's useful for people who need a fix from the newer installer for their hardware, but don't want to install the development release02:10
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) at least in principle, as for whether we'll actually be able to support that we'll see02:10
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: fixed, thanks02:11
fabbioneKamion: no problem dude!02:11
fabbionei love to test d-i..02:11
fabbionespecially with this setup :)02:11
fabbioneit's like: f12 -> enter -> enter02:11
fabbioneKamion: did you check the pic?02:12
pittifabbione: "every chicken can install Debian. Just keep pecking on Enter" .-)02:12
fabbionepitti: hahaha02:12
pittifabbione: whoops, my smiley lost an eye02:12
fabbioneno bigge02:13
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: do you mean the lack of outline around the dialog?02:13
fabbioneKamion: yup02:14
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: I think that's something to do with dialog in UTF-802:14
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) seems to have forgotten how to do line-drawing characters02:14
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: is the console otherwise properly configured for UTF-8?02:14
fabbioneis it a known problem in debian too?02:14
fabbioneKamion: that's from reboot entering phase202:15
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) Debian don't default to UTF-8 so I wouldn't imagine many people have noticed02:15
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) most use of debconf is probably in xterms etc.02:15
fabbionei didn't touch anything at all02:15
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) yeah, I know02:15
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) is Italian working otherwise though? (assuming you're using Italian)02:15
fabbionei installed in en_DK02:16
fabbionelet me check02:16
fabbionestrange... after a reboot i lost the framebuffer02:17
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) if you reboot in the middle of base-config, some stuff may not have been saved yet; probably a bug all the same02:18
fabbioneit failed to install desktop.. so that might be02:18
fabbionenothing important..02:18
=== __daniel [~daniel@td9091c21.pool.terralink.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Mithrandir wonders if there is a boot server on the network here.
fabbioneyay.. it's snowing!02:29
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) it's blizzardy here. :)02:30
=== cenerentola [~cenerento@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(HcE/#ubuntu-devel) a bit too blizzardy ;)02:32
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) HcE: wimp. :)02:32
__danielit's snowing over here too *jump happily around fabbione*02:35
(HcE/#ubuntu-devel) think we got about 50 cm in Trondheim/Norway now02:35
cenerentolaits sunny here...02:35
fabbionenah here are the first cm02:36
__danielHcE: my dog will be happy about one cm of snow ;-)02:36
=== daniels [~daniels@host217-37-231-28.in-addr.btopenworld.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) it's scary how easy starting d-i is; apt-get install atftp rarpd; edit /etc/ethers; wget -O /tftpboot/$hostid http://ftp.no.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-sparc/current/images/sparc64/netboot/boot.img ; then boot net on the sparc.02:37
(HcE/#ubuntu-devel) "easy"02:37
=== HcE takes a note of that line
fabbioneMithrandir: oh yeah02:38
danielsto kick off network booting, that really is very easy02:38
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) still no norwegian keyboard layout, though. :/02:38
fabbioneMithrandir: too bad that the OBP knows only about rarp/tftp protocol02:38
fabbioneotherwise via dhcp is nice too02:39
=== fabbione flushes 22K spam mails
(HcE/#ubuntu-devel) I flushed 100Mb of spam here the other day =)02:39
(HcE/#ubuntu-devel) but I'm like to keep thing, so it went through bzip02:40
fabbioneif you like spam i can forward you mine :)02:40
(HcE/#ubuntu-devel) :P02:41
(HcE/#ubuntu-devel) I have plenty02:41
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: only 9GB disk so far.. I guess I'll throw a bigger disk into it as well.02:41
fabbioneMithrandir: that's plenty02:42
fabbionei use less than that for the buildd dir02:42
(HcE/#ubuntu-devel) since 14. nov I have received 226 new spams02:42
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: it's the whole system, though.. and I like to have some extra space in there.02:43
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) but it'll do for now.02:43
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) hmm, how many disks can one stuff into a U5?02:43
fabbioneMithrandir: yeah.. 02:43
fabbionehmmm... 2 i think02:43
fabbioneit's a "desktop" one, isn't it?02:43
fabbionewith ide disks...02:43
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) yeah :/02:44
fabbioneif so up to 4 ide devices02:44
fabbionebut you need to find the space where to mount them02:44
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) yeah, I was more worried about that.02:44
fabbioneiirc you can easily add one below the cdrom02:44
fabbioneor below the floppy02:44
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) hmm, I guess I could remove the cdrom as well02:44
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) you can get 4 in there if you really want to02:44
fabbioneremember that u5 can't read disks bigger than 120G02:45
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: can't read or can't boot off?02:45
fabbionecan't see/read02:45
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) that sucks.02:45
fabbioneit recongnize weird values02:45
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) I'm considering getting one to use as my backup box.02:45
fabbioneprobably with an updated OBP02:45
fabbionealso take into account that it doesn't support cable-select02:46
fabbioneand it doesn't like all brands of hd02:46
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: doesn't the ide controller need lba48 stuff for > 120G02:46
fabbionebut that's common to all sparc's02:46
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) yeah02:46
fabbionesjoerd: i think so yeah..02:46
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) it's only a 128MB system so far, but I'll see if I can find some more to stuff into it.02:46
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) what kind of ram does it use?02:46
fabbionebut the U5 is way older than LBA4802:46
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) my current desktop is an U502:47
fabbionemine was a U6002:47
fabbioneuntil either the mobo or the cpu went banana02:47
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) that's a shame02:48
fabbioneoh it's really funny02:48
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) i'm using my U5, because my intell machine died02:48
fabbioneyou can turn it on.. once in a while02:48
fabbioneand it works perfectly02:48
fabbioneas soon as it warms up02:48
fabbioneyou can't reboot it anymore02:48
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) then don't reboot it?02:48
fabbioneor turn it off, without turning it on again for days...02:48
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) put it in the fridge :)02:48
fabbioneMithrandir: ehhh02:49
fabbionesjoerd: my gf didn't like the solution :)02:49
fabbionereplacing the mobo and cpu is a bit expensive02:49
fabbionebecause i don't know if it's either one or the other02:49
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) what kind of ram does the U5 use?02:49
fabbionemobo is approx 100USD, but the cpu is aih.. way higher than that02:49
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) is it the same cpu as in a U5 or another one02:50
fabbioneif you include transport and taxes + everything else02:50
fabbionethe mobo jumps to 200USD02:50
fabbionesjoerd: another one02:50
fabbionethe u5 has a "flat" cpu02:50
fabbionemounted horizontaly02:50
fabbionethe u60 is vertical02:50
fabbione2 different busses02:51
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) ah too bad. i've got several spare U5 cpu's lying around02:51
fabbioneehe no problem02:51
fabbioneit can cost me less to buy another U6002:52
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) probably02:52
fabbioneit definetely does02:52
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) got my U5 for free02:52
danielsi have a free u502:52
fabbioneU60 366Mhz 512Mb 18GB for 425USD02:52
fabbionethat's almost the same i have now02:53
fabbionei could buy another one and merge them02:53
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) sun is extremely expensive.. looked for a replacement sparcstation 4 mobo once, because mine was struck by lightning02:57
fabbionesjoerd: www.anysystem.com02:57
fabbionethe original mobo for the u60 is over 900USD from sun02:58
fabbioneand i can pay 100 for the same...02:58
fabbionewith one year warranty02:58
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) yeah, got another sparcstation somewhere for a lot less and merged them02:58
=== fabbione wants to look very cool and handles http://people.debian.org/~fabbione/e10k/debian_on_e10k.txt to sjoerd
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) ah nice03:01
=== alerios [~alerios@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) yay, boheci boots.03:02
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) hmm03:02
ChrisHe10k? Wow. I wonder if they have an e10k in laptop form-factor. :)03:03
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) but she claims to not being able to read the partition table due to I/O errors.03:03
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) that's kinda bad.03:03
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) ChrisH: no, but you can get a sparc in a laptop if you really want to03:03
fabbionesjoerd: yeah i remember about that :-)03:03
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: we almost got our uni into giving us a old small enterprise machine they stopped using03:04
fabbioneChrisH: you will need a mini portable nuclear power plant03:04
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) but in the end they decided to keep it for testing :(03:04
ChrisHsjoerd: Nah. I'd be happy already if my Toshiba would support power-management.03:04
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) seems it's not too happy about being rebooted.03:04
fabbionesjoerd: i had to buy one for the company i was working for at that time :-)03:04
ChrisHfabbione: Yeah, the elec bill should be "interesting".03:04
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/html/products/mobile/sparcle/03:04
ChrisHsjoerd: 1 GHz Ultrasparc should be nice. But $3k for a laptop?03:05
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: nice.. did they actually run debian on it in production or just for toying around ?03:05
fabbionei don't think Sparc IIIi processor is supported by linux yet03:06
fabbionesjoerd: no.. they had to run slowlaris03:06
fabbionesjoerd: but i had my fun with that board for a while03:06
fabbionenobody noticed a missing 4 CPUs and 4 GB of RAM03:06
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) haha03:06
fabbionealso because of the hotplug functionalities in slowlaris03:07
fabbionei could just remove CPU / RAM from one virtual machine to another03:07
fabbioneand "top" on e10k is patched to report some virtual values03:07
fabbioneso basically you don't really know what hardware you have available at that moment03:08
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) hehe03:08
fabbioneand shifting one board from one execution domain to another is simple :-)03:08
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: i'm done with g-v-m patching and testing.. if you have any remarks left lemme know, otherwise i'll upload to experimental rsn :)03:09
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: thats nice03:09
pittisjoerd: I already read the logs, nice work03:09
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) cool thanks03:09
pittigo, sjoerd, go!03:09
pittisjoerd: then I can throw the stuf into Hoary as well03:09
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: for hal i'm waiting on md 03:09
pittisjoerd: ah, right03:10
=== sjoerd build the final package
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: could do a binary only build for gvm on i386 for debian03:13
pittisjoerd: ahem, what for?03:13
=== zul [~chuck@zul.developer.gentoo] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittisjoerd: for testing?03:13
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: for experimental, so people can test it 03:13
=== sjoerd doesn't have an i386 machine to build on currently
pittisjoerd: ah, you mean you would usually upload sparc03:14
pittisjoerd: I can do that if you want03:14
pittisjoerd: as soon as the package hits the mirrors, I can upload it03:14
pittisjoerd: I never did this though; just upload a changes with the i386 deb and the same version?03:14
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: pull the package out of incoming and do dpkg-buildpackage -B -mpitti@debian.org 03:15
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) and upload the result03:15
pittisjoerd: this part is clear03:15
pittisjoerd: okay, if that works, I'm fine with that03:15
fabbionesjoerd: btw.. 197 packages to go for the first set of ubuntu sparc packages03:15
fabbionepitti: -b -B03:16
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: nice.. although i don't have ubuntu on any of my machines03:16
fabbioneyou don't want to regenerate the diff.gz03:16
fabbionesjoerd: well.. there is always a first time :-)03:16
pittifabbione: right03:16
pittifabbione: I ususally use debuild -b03:16
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) -B for porting to avoid the _all.{deb,udeb}, usually03:18
pittiah, nice hint; not a g-v-m problem (just one binary deb), but for general03:19
danielsKamion: {,u}deb03:19
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) picky :)03:19
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: for now i'm just working on the debian side of things, so having debian makes more sense :)03:25
zulfabbione, do you need any help with the sparc debs03:27
fabbionesjoerd: argh! the dark side!03:27
fabbionesjoerd: P03:27
fabbioneadd another :P03:27
fabbionezul: it depends what you can offer03:28
zulfabbione, i got a sparc32 and sparc64 i just need to put debian on it this weekend03:28
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) speaking about the darkside.. I sent one mail to the sparclinux list that i've found ``the'' problem with alsa on my sparc and various gentoo lusers start mailing me for patches03:29
fabbionesjoerd: ehehe03:29
fabbionei had several problems with alsa on sparc03:30
fabbionespecially due to the emu10k03:30
zulheh..there are *some* gentoo lusers :)03:30
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: my sparcstation is currently unused, but i don't think it's a good target for ubuntu :)03:30
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: as in hanging the complete machine ? :)03:30
fabbionesjoerd: no.. as it can't be compiled03:31
fabbioneor atleast.. that was like a year ago03:31
fabbioneif not more03:31
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) oh03:31
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) currently an unpatched kernel will just hang your machine if your run alsamixer 03:32
fabbionedunno.. really... the only sparc i have left is a netra t1 10503:32
fabbioneno gfx, no audio03:32
fabbioneno keybaord03:32
fabbioneno mouse03:32
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) and alsaplayer doesn't work because of inconsistencies in the userspace and kernelspace structs03:32
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) but the last should be fix in 2.6.10-rc203:32
=== __daniel [~daniel@td9091c21.pool.terralink.de] has left #ubuntu-devel []
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: gvm just hit incoming03:33
pittisjoerd: nice, thanks03:34
=== pitti will grab and build it
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) thanks03:34
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) for unstable i maybe need to add a debconf note.. otherwise gvm will just stop working, because people didn't put themselves in the plugdev group03:35
pittisjoerd: ah right03:35
pittisjoerd: we were lucky to have put this right into our first distro03:35
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) we will hopefully get it right to in the first distro shipping it :)03:36
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) a slow release has it advantages :P03:36
pittisjoerd: do you want to add the note to pmount or gvm?03:36
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: gvm 03:36
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) it also is nice for people installing it for the first time though03:37
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) in debian the first user isn't in plugdev automagically03:37
pittisjoerd: well, this could be changed03:38
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) don't think it makes sense for debian to do that03:39
pittisjoerd: OTOH, the last time I installed a debian system, the first user was not even in audio and video :-)03:39
pittisjoerd: I guess that's the drawback of an "Universal OS" :-)03:39
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) yeah03:39
pittisjoerd: but it's actually not too bad if the admin puts the users into the needed groups explicitly03:40
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) nope, i just want too mention it clearly03:40
pittisjoerd: "Also turn autorun off and turn autobrowse on by default" -> nice, this makes another Ubuntu patch disappear :-)03:40
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) otherwise i'll get a load of bugs03:40
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: i know, i went through your patches03:40
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) and dvd on by default, that was off strangely enough03:41
(azeem/#ubuntu-devel) AFAIK the initial user gets added to various groups in Debian, so adding plugdev wouldn't hurt I guess03:41
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) azeem: not that i know03:42
=== sjoerd checks
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) hrm your right, that's new03:43
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) azeem: do you know what package does that ?03:44
pittisjoerd: should be passwd in base-config03:45
(azeem/#ubuntu-devel) it was a hack in base-config, perhaps the passwd package does it properly now03:47
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) ./lib/menu/passwd: adduser "$RET" video >/dev/null 2>&1 || true03:48
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) from base-config..03:48
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) yeah, still is03:48
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: you could file a bug for the plugdev group there03:49
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) but i guess that won't make it into sarge anyway..03:51
pittisjoerd: I cannot build this in a sid environment03:53
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: hrm why not03:53
pittisjoerd: libgnomeui-dev has unsatisfiable depends03:53
pittisjoerd: I try to build in an up-to-date sid pbuilder chroot03:53
pitti  libgnomeui-dev: Depends: libgnomeui-0 (= 2.8.0-2) but it is not going to be installed03:54
pitti                  Depends: libgnomecanvas2-dev (>= 2.6.0) but it is not going to be installed03:54
pitti                  Depends: libbonoboui2-dev (>= 2.5.4) but it is not going to be installed03:54
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: oh that's a problem with the G2.8 transition03:54
pittisjoerd: so shall I add the experimental pacakge source?03:54
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) libgnomecanvas2-dev is in incoming for i38603:54
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: that should work too, newer version of the depends are in sid rsn anyway03:55
pittisjoerd: okay, I build against experimental for now03:57
pittisjoerd: I uploaded the i386 deb and a binary-only changes file. Let's see whether it works :-)04:01
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: thanks04:01
pittisjoerd: it's nice to have a server with 100MBit connection for these purposes :-)04:02
=== ironwolf [~ironwolf@c-24-6-251-226.client.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) good connections are always nice04:04
pittioh, just got a phone call. Gotta go, will return later. CU04:04
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: later04:04
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) doko: why was http://people.ubuntu.com/~scott/ongoing-merge/libnet-ph-perl/libnet-ph-perl_ubuntu.debdiff necessary? the dependency was versioned due to a perl policy requirement, to deal with the perl 5.6 transition; is there a reason we need to keep this divergence?04:05
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: more universe syncs for you: libapache-mod-python, libcgi, libforms1, offlineimap, opencv, paul, pgadmin3, pike7.6, primaxscan, pstoedit04:13
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: done04:13
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) ok, that was scary fast04:14
fabbioneKamion: i think that's the "elmo autoanswer feature"04:14
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) I think there's only about 20 more low-hanging fruit, after that the masters of the universe can take care of it04:15
danielsfabbione: we replaced elmo with a very high-performance bot04:15
danielsthe scary thing is that you could actually easily automate the syncs04:15
fabbionelet see if it works:04:16
fabbioneelmo: sync..04:16
danielsscripts can't do esp :P04:17
danielsbut you look for sync, and you just tokenise the rest of the string, and if it matches a package in the archive, sync it04:17
danielsexcluding 'from debian', 'from sid', etc04:18
danielsand you could probably have a heuristic involving : and stuff as well04:18
fabbionedaniels: is elmo there at sabdfl?04:18
=== nmf [~nmf@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
danielsfabbione: nope, not any more04:20
danielsback to the north04:20
daniels(sorry, norf)04:20
(robtaylor/#ubuntu-devel) hey.. anyone know hoe pmount decides which options to use for which media?04:32
=== doko [doko@dsl-082-082-208-026.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== rburton [~ross@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) yep, kde needs x.org build-dep love04:39
danielsKamion: YAY!!!!04:40
danielsKamion: which module?04:40
fabbionedaniels: i think we should considering fixing it in a different way04:41
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) kdebase04:41
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) kde* build-deps on xlibs-static-pic04:41
danielsKamion: do you want me to sort it?04:41
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) you know the rest :)04:41
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) *shrug* I'm not bothered, it's universe04:41
danielsKamion: by kde*, you don't really mean ... all of kde ... do you04:41
fabbionelike xlibs-static-dev Depemnds: <allsplittedmodules>04:41
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) wouldn't spend too much work time on it04:41
danielsfabbione: i like the idea of forcing them to update b-ds04:41
danielsfabbione: because, realistically, no-one now b-ds on anything other than xlibs-dev04:42
=== gicmo [~gicmo@pD9EE191D.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
danielswhich is crap04:42
fabbionei agree04:42
gicmohi everybody ;)04:42
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: well, the four that I asked elmo to sync earlier anyway; kdebase, kdegraphics, kdemultimedia, kdenetwork04:42
danielsKamion: ok04:42
danielsi might sort base and network and leave the rest for later04:42
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) hmm, one of the ia64 buildds has taken nearly 3k packages as 'building'04:43
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) "woops"04:43
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: it's bogosity from not having X04:43
danielselmo: what does it think it is, concordia?04:43
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) shame, I was kinda hoping we could be synced to Debian for KDE for at least a while04:43
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) was waiting for it to quiesce before doing a mass giveback04:43
danielsKamion: the b-d change should be enough for merge-o-matic to work its love04:43
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: only in it's dreams04:43
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) lamont: ah04:43
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: sadly not often judging from the syncs I've been reviewing :(04:44
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: too often the b-ds are in like a different order or something and hi_mom gives up in despair04:44
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) anyway, I have to go and pick my car up from being repaired, back in an hour or so04:44
fabbionewe could ask Keybuk to write a special tool for checking build-deps04:45
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) that might be good04:45
fabbionesorting them would avoid a lot of conflicts04:45
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) oh, and it's usually next to the standards-version line so any update of that will cause fuzz ...04:45
Keybukyeah, was tempted to write a depends-field parser to sort those out04:46
danielsKamion: ahr, bugger04:46
danielsKeybuk: great work with mom though04:46
Keybuksourcerer.deb can already parse much of the control file, and do a three-way diff ... is just those fields that are trickier04:46
danielsKeybuk: it's really really good04:46
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) oh, yeah, not dissing it, it's doing a fine job04:47
fabbioneKeybuk: perhaps you can parse them one by one04:47
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) today's syncs were trivial to review04:47
fabbioneKeybuk: just ideas.. it's not complaining04:47
danielsKamion: not saying that it was :) just remembered that I wanted to compliment Keybuk the other day, but he was selfishly not here04:47
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) he does that04:47
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) doesn't want to know what we're saying behind his back ;)04:47
danielselmo: that ia64 buildd doesn't want to share04:47
KeybukI suspect I'm going to need a depends-field parser for hct anyway at some point, so it'll probably just turn up <g.04:48
danielselmo: so you'll have to shaft it04:48
=== Keybuk clears his bug folder ... Colin "SYNC FROM DEBIAN" Watson has been busy :p
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) lol04:51
seb128elmo: sync for easytag (1.99.1-1) from experimental please04:51
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: that buildd was your fault, you know.04:52
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) easytag's in universe atm?04:52
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) (xorg/xf86 causing quick failures that the autodepwaiter couldn't parse...)04:52
seb128elmo: yes04:52
danielslamont_r: why did xorg fail quickly?04:53
danielslamont_r: build rman, build xorg, watch it fail, throw me debian/MANIFEST.ia64.new04:53
fabbionedaniels: he did already04:53
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: hmm - I thought we were only doing experimental syncs for release goals.. but *shrug* it's your package :)04:53
fabbionecheck your irc backlog04:53
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: done04:53
danielsfabbione: i don't have anything in my backlog04:53
seb128elmo: ok, thanks :) (we have the choice between an old gtk+1 app and a new gtk+2 supporting utf-8 fine so .. :)04:54
fabbionedaniels: it's on people/~lamont/daniels/04:54
fabbionedaniels: *ia64*04:54
danielslamont_r: ah, ill04:54
danielslamont_r: thanks dude04:54
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) daniels: actually, it was xf86 _and_ xorg not being there that was fatal to all those builds..04:54
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) xf86 finally built04:54
=== skyrider_univer [~skyrider@kid.stu.cn.ua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dasenjo [~dasenjo@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
gicmosladen, ping ? :)05:17
=== mxpxpod [~forbesbd@mxpxpod.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
enricohello.  Can someone help me with the wiki?05:22
enricoI modified my entry in the ConferenceAttendees, then viewed the page a bit later and I saw a single block of text with the Moin markup.  I did Edit and I saw that the page formatting was set to HTML.  I reset it to Moin but it's now messy.  And I can't understand how to roll it back05:23
=== madduck is now known as world
=== world is now known as madduck
=== madduck is now known as world
=== fabbione starts the first round of manual hits on the buildd
enricoAh, ok, someone did something after I last edited it05:27
=== world is now known as madduck
fabbioneciao enrico 05:28
enricofabbione: ciao!05:28
=== madduck is now known as god
fabbionemadduck: you can't be god05:28
=== god is now known as madduck
=== BradB [~bradb@modemcable202.193-131-66.mc.videotron.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== skyrider_univer [~skyrider@kid.stu.cn.ua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Mitario [~michiel@sikkes.xs4all.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mitariohello everyone05:39
=== skyrider_univer [~skyrider@kid.stu.cn.ua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hazmat [~hazmat@register.rice.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== skyrider_univer [~skyrider@kid.stu.cn.ua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cenerentola [~cenerento@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sivang [~sivang@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: more syncs, please: pytables python-biggles python-gnome python-rrd python-utmp qgis quantlib-python05:53
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) quiteinsanegimpplugin radiuscontext rdiff-backup rezound scite scribus sdl-imag05:53
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) e1.205:53
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) oops, sorry for crappy line wrap05:53
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: done05:54
=== Kamion gives Keybuk more mail
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: you're on a roll dude05:56
danielslamont_r: (just like butter)05:56
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: you probably don't want to know that there are 5 more unknown/'s, do you?05:57
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) (ia64/build-db)05:57
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) oh, I just need to cron elisha05:57
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) hmm, except she only finds 2. meh.05:57
Keybukis that a new euphemism?05:58
Keybukdaniels will probably claim that "cronning" means something in Australian05:58
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) Keybuk: almost certainly to do with 18 yearolds and sex05:58
mxpxpoddoes the ubuntu kernel have any extra patches to it?05:58
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) lamont: I see ejabberd, u++(fixed) and elilo-installer - what's the other 2?05:59
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) partitioner efi-reader05:59
danielsKeybuk: yes, scheduling a task to be done at a particular time via an automated system06:00
danielslamont_r: you sick bastard06:00
Keybukdaniels: well, you go into firts of giggles whenever we talk about routeing, so we can never be too sure06:01
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) lamont: k, will look at that at some point then06:02
danielswell, try to talk about more mundane topics, such as network infrastructure06:02
(lamont_r/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: np06:05
Keybukdaniels: we all know you hacked fd.o yourself just so you can claim you've been rooted *once* this year :p06:05
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: last lot for today: serpento sip-qt3 sqlrelay ted tla-load-dirs vrweb waili wallp wdm wxwindows2.4 xdiskusage xemacs21-packages xpaint xt ygraph06:12
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) done06:12
=== lamont_r goes to to help move
=== maskie [~maskie@196-30-111-208.uudial.uunet.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hazmat [~hazmat@register.rice.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) -rw-rw-r-- 1 cjwatson cdimage 635965440 Nov 19 14:45 hoary-install-powerpc.iso06:21
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) hm, we're getting close to capacity here06:22
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) about 40MB to go ... taking mozilla-browser off the CD is looking pretty appealing :)06:22
Keybukis hoary that much bigger than warty?06:22
danielspowerpc is that much bigger than i38606:22
mxpxpodI'd like to take a 2.6.9 vanilla kernel, patch it with benh's sleep patch for ibook g4... do I need to create an initrd image? or will make-kpkg do that for me?06:23
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) -rw-rw-r-- 2 cjwatson cdimage 621025280 Oct 20 00:43 warty-install-powerpc.iso06:24
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) not *that* much worse, admittedly06:24
=== dasenjo [~dasenjo@] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== herzi [~herzi@c200053.adsl.hansenet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
danielsKamion: kdebase is FTBFS for me right now in other ways I can't be arsed fixing06:29
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) fair enough06:29
danielsKamion: (code issues, so not worth the time on universe006:30
=== skyrider_univer [~skyrider@kid.stu.cn.ua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== skyrider_univer [~skyrider@kid.stu.cn.ua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(mjg59/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: Around?06:40
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) mjg59: yes06:40
=== mvo [~Michael@ip181.135.1511I-CUD12K-01.ish.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(mjg59/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: I'm meeting various debian-uk people this evening - if there are some straglers, would you object to them wishing you a happy birthday later on?06:42
(Kamion/#ubuntu-devel) mjg59: not at all06:44
(mjg59/#ubuntu-devel) Kamion: Excellent06:47
=== pitti [~martin@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiHi sjoerd06:51
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: hi :)06:51
pittisjoerd: can you please clean up 20_specify_mountprogram.patch a bit?06:51
pittisjoerd: it still contains this autofoo cache06:51
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) ugh06:51
pittisjoerd: which makes the patch 270 KB big06:51
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) i knew i forgot something :)06:52
pittisjoerd: I just went through the ubuntu g-v-m patches06:53
pittisjoerd: In fact I do not need any of it any more :-)06:53
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) cool06:53
pittisjoerd: did my binary upload work?06:54
=== skyrider_univer [~skyrider@kid.stu.cn.ua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) yeah06:54
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: new 20_specify_mountprogram.patch in svn06:56
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) dbs-edit-patch does indeed work very nice :)06:56
pittisjoerd: if there was something similar for simple-patchsys, then it would be even nicer 07:00
pittisjoerd: but I agree, it helps a lot07:00
_rene_pitti: 07:00
_rene_  * debian/control.lang.in:07:00
_rene_    - stop depending on openoffice.org at -l10n-*. Just recommend it.07:00
_rene_      Conflict against the older versions to get the desired effect07:00
_rene_      instead. This enables re-inclusion of them in tasksel and07:00
_rene_      allows per-language metapackages (closes: #281645) [RE] 07:00
pitti_rene_: looks nice07:00
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: even better if it worked together nicely with svn-buildpackage07:00
_rene_umm, s/enables/allows/, but this would be the change ;-)07:00
pitti_rene_: the only difference to my version is that it is not automatically uninstalled if you remove both OO.o and the lanugage pack07:01
_rene_it isn't here either07:01
pitti_rene_: but for the sake of compatibility this is fine07:01
_rene_oh, wait07:01
_rene_how do you mean that?07:02
pitti_rene_: will this be uploaded soon?07:02
=== _rene_ is shlightly confused but maybe only because his caffeine level is low
pitti_rene_: if o-l10n-de depends on ooo | language-support-de07:02
pitti_rene_: then synaptic/apt will automatically remove it if both packages are removed07:02
_rene_ah, yeah07:02
_rene_we don't do that :-)07:02
pitti_rene_: so users can choose not to want de any more and this would uninstall all mozilla and OO.o stuff07:02
pitti_rene_: it's not that important07:03
pitti_rene_: but shouldn't you conflict to older _and_ newer versions?07:03
_rene_since it's a completely new metapackage / sarge/ blah / yada ;)07:03
pitti_rene_: or will that work?07:03
pitti_rene_: at least mozilla fails badly with an older language pack and a newer broser07:03
pittibrowser, even07:03
_rene_if the strings don't change it will work07:04
_rene_if they change.. Hmm07:04
pitti_rene_: if it is possible that it breaks, I'd rather conflict to older and newer versions07:04
pitti_rene_: differently from Mozilla, the language packs for OO.o should always be available in matching versions07:04
pitti_rene_: so I don't see a problem07:04
_rene_yeah, but theer are some people who try to upgrade via apt-get *install*07:05
_rene_which sometimes has nice effects07:05
pitti_rene_: well, then they will be lectured that they need to update the l10n package, too07:05
pitti_rene_: but it might safe you some odd bug reports :)07:06
_rene_yeah, and we have to deal with the bugreports :/07:06
(Mithrandir/#ubuntu-devel) fabbione: what do you want installed on the buildd?07:06
(haggai/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: you can't do versioned provides I'm afraid07:06
pittihaggai: we don't need them?07:06
(haggai/#ubuntu-devel) pitti: so you'd have to list every possible language in the conflicts07:07
_rene_erm, this is the other way round07:07
(haggai/#ubuntu-devel) oh, right07:07
pittihaggai: why, every l10n package just needs to conflict to unmatching versiosn of the main package07:07
_rene_-l10n-* conflicting against oo.o versions07:07
pittihaggai: yes, conflict in one direction is enough07:07
(haggai/#ubuntu-devel) hmm, could work07:07
pittihaggai: it does :)07:07
_rene_ok, so I'll do a Conflicts: openoffice.org (<< 1.1.1+1.1.2), openoffice.org (>> 1.1.2+1.1.3)07:08
(haggai/#ubuntu-devel) ok07:09
(haggai/#ubuntu-devel) hmmm, I think the reason we didn't do that was because you sometimes get point releases without string updates07:10
(haggai/#ubuntu-devel) but I guess dropping that won't hurt many people07:10
=== Kyaneos [~Kyaneos@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pitti_rene_: hmm, shouldn't it be >= 1.1.2+1.1.3?07:11
pitti_rene_: or will all 1.1.2 translations work also with 1.1.3?07:11
pitti_rene_: you used >>07:11
_rene_1.1.2+1.1.3 is lesser than 1.1.2+1.1.3-107:11
_rene_1.1.2+1.1.3 would be the upstream version07:12
pitti_rene_: right, that's why I ask07:12
_rene_and you conflict against anything after 1.1.207:12
pitti_rene_: you should conflict to 1.1.3 too07:12
_rene_which 1.1.2+1.1.3 is07:12
_rene_1.1.3 is bigger than 1.1.2+1.1.307:12
pitti_rene_: no, 1.1.3 would still be allowed since you use >> (Stricter greater)07:12
_rene_we don't allow anything bigger than 1.1.2+1.1.307:13
pitti_rene_: ah, I thought you package a version which really is called 1.1.2+1.1.307:13
_rene_and 1.1.3 _is_ bigger07:13
pitti_rene_: okay, my fault, sorry07:13
=== pitti fetches brown paperbag
_rene_the current version is 1.1.2dfsg1-307:13
_rene_so no problem :)07:13
_rene_no problem. I sometimes have to think about it again too if I edit that ;-)07:13
=== pitti [~martin@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mvo_ goes and plays some hockey now
=== T-Bone [varenet@T-Bone.developer.debian] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== daniels [~daniels@george.kkhotels.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== __daniel [~daniel@td9091c21.pool.terralink.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== enrico is now known as enrico_dinner
=== skyrider_univer [~skyrider@kid.stu.cn.ua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jdz_ [~jdz@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== alerios [~alerios@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cenerentola [~cenerento@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mxpxpoddoes anyone here use ubuntu on an ibook g4?08:48
=== amu on a pb-g4
mxpxpodamu: alubook?08:50
(amu/#ubuntu-devel) n, the latest with 1,5Ghz and 15" 08:50
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) mxpxpod: pitti has an ibook g4 iirc08:51
mxpxpodI'd like to compile my own kernel (2.6.9 + benh's new patch for sleep) but I'm not sure how to do the initrd stuff that ubuntu uses08:52
gicmobenh's sleep patch?08:52
mxpxpodgicmo: http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/11/msg00367.html08:53
(amu/#ubuntu-devel) formorer packaged it, see p.d.o/~formorer 08:53
gicmoahh only for g4s .. 08:53
mxpxpodamu: p.d.o?08:53
mxpxpodamu: heh, people... not planet08:54
(amu/#ubuntu-devel) people 08:54
mxpxpodamu: ah, that's not the new patch08:54
mirakanyone have knowledge with apt-build ?08:54
mirakisn't it supposed to resolve and compile the deps ?08:54
(amu/#ubuntu-devel) aehm well sleep works .... sometime ;) 08:55
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) the old patch works great on my albook08:55
mirakbecause for me it blocks on the -dev packages and don't get them08:55
mxpxpodamu: the new patch fixes some issues, supposedly08:55
mxpxpodsjoerd: you compiled your own kernel?08:55
gicmoI wonder when/if the inotify patch will go into the ubuntu kernel08:55
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) mxpxpod: yeah, i always do08:55
(amu/#ubuntu-devel) make-kpkg kernel-image --initrd should work 08:56
=== mxpxpod writes that down
mxpxpodwasn't sure how to do the initrd08:56
(amu/#ubuntu-devel) yep08:56
mxpxpodsjoerd: do you just compile everything as a module?08:57
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) mxpxpod: no08:58
(amu/#ubuntu-devel) everything as a module ? you submit your patch rerun make oldconfig and build the package 08:58
mxpxpodsjoerd: so you have a config for your specific machine09:00
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) mxpxpod: yes09:00
mxpxpodah, that makes sense09:00
mxpxpodsjoerd: what fs do you use for your linux partitions?09:01
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) ext309:01
mxpxpoddo you compile that in?09:01
(sjoerd/#ubuntu-devel) i need to, i don't use an initrd09:02
mxpxpodahhh, ok09:02
(tseng/#ubuntu-devel) boo09:03
(tseng/#ubuntu-devel) any built cvs lately?09:03
(tseng/#ubuntu-devel) er, sorry that was for #muine09:13
=== tseng hits mxpxpod for tricking me
jdz_Has there been any work done with Ubuntu and LTSP?09:14
=== Gaaruto [~Gaaruto@ASte-Genev-Bois-151-1-14-21.w82-121.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== skyrider_univer [~skyrider@kid.stu.cn.ua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== __daniel [~daniel@td9091c21.pool.terralink.de] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== Gaaruto [~Gaaruto@ASte-Genev-Bois-151-1-14-21.w82-121.abo.wanadoo.fr] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== alerios [~alerios@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== T-Bone is now known as T-Gone
=== Mitario [~michiel@sikkes.xs4all.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mitariolo everyone10:14
=== x4m [~max@152.158-200-80.adsl.skynet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dasenjo [~dasenjo@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Kyaneos [~Kyaneos@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cenerentola [~cenerento@] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Leaving"]
=== mvo_ [~Michael@suprimo-231.ping.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== skyrider_univer [~skyrider@kid.stu.cn.ua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== enrico_dinner is now known as enrico
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: around?10:38
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: yeah10:39
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: did you get my mail about ubuntu-calendar* and hoary?10:39
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) i repinged it again recently10:39
seb128jdub: do we want gst-ffmpeg somewhere ? I've taaz's (the gst maintainer in debian) source package, I can upload it in hoary if we have a place for it ...10:39
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: is it in debian?10:39
seb128ffmpeg is staying in NEW for like 3 months10:40
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) i think we should be very cautious about adding it anywhere10:40
seb128ftpmasters have no love for it :p10:40
seb128why ?10:40
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) at least we have plausible deniability for stuff we sync from debian into universe ;)10:41
seb128we have ffmpeg in xine in universe ... what's worst in gst ?10:41
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: because it will kick our arses :)10:41
seb128and we have mplayer in multiverse10:41
seb128which have it too10:41
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: sure, but those are both quite dangerous10:41
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) libxine we have some plausible deniability about10:41
seb128the question is "why 2 packages with ffmpeg and not 3"10:42
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) mplayer was a conscious decision, unfortunately10:42
seb128I would understand 010:42
seb128or 310:42
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) seb128: because libxine is straight from debian ("oh really? we didn't know that")10:42
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) mplayer was a conscious decision, unfortunately10:42
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) but bringing gst-ffmpeg in is another conscious decision10:42
seb128I'll use the alioth pkg-gnome pool for debian, the package will work on ubuntu too10:42
=== nasdaq4088 [sdfsd@tkp-ip-nas-1-p224.telkom-ipnet.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: answered10:44
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) sorry10:44
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) thanks10:45
=== _lemsx1_ [~lemsx1@xd84b58f2.ip.e-nt.net] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Exiting]
=== wasabi [~jhaltom2@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: so 'warty-updates hoary' in the changelog header?11:05
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: also, what do we do about november calendar updates that are already in warty?11:05
wasabiHow does one request support for a package in universe? I'd like to see it in main. I can make a case for it.11:05
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: I thought i migrated it already11:07
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) jdub: and yes11:07
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) apparently not, go me11:08
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) ok thanks :)11:08
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) wasabi: mail ubuntu-devel11:09
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) wasabi: instant support from me11:09
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) okay, they'll go out into hoary in the next mirror pulse11:09
wasabilooks like libpam-krb5 is utterly useless, just like in debian11:10
wasabidoesn't even create a ticket cache11:10
=== wasabi sigh.
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) elmo: awesome, thanks11:10
=== wasabi subscribes to list
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) wasabi: please point out any integration fixes we need11:10
wasabiIs that okay? I point out "it doesn't work" to the debian maintainer at one point, but wasn't going to say anything else since I had no time to fix it myself.11:11
=== BradB [~bradb@modemcable202.193-131-66.mc.videotron.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) worth pointing out as you propose them11:12
jdz_Does anyone know if there has there been any work done with Ubuntu and LTSP? (http://ltsp.org/)11:14
(jdub/#ubuntu-devel) a guy called punkass on #ubuntu mentioned he was looking into it11:15
jdz_Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for him11:17
jdz_The only relevent infomation in the Ubuntu website is in MarksHoaryGoals: Must Have: LTSP in the box11:18
jdz_I haven't been able to find any discussion beyond that though.11:18
=== wasabi [~jhaltom2@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
wasabiYou guys realize how bad of a name Hoary is right?11:48
wasabiI just had to yell across my office: "Hey Paul, are you using Hoary?"11:48
wasabiAnd of course all the women in the office turn and scowl.11:49
wasabiman nscd is so messe dup11:50
wasabidoes libc in ubuntu not work with nscd?11:53
wasabiIt's not even attempting to probe for the socket11:53
wasabioh there it is.11:53

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!