Kamionmdz: yeah12:01
mdzok, seeds updated12:01
fgubuntumdz, you mean updated with ndiswrapper-utils?12:02
mdzfgubuntu: yes12:02
mdztomorrow's daily install CD will have ndiswrapper-utils on it12:03
fgubuntuyou guys are the best!12:03
mdzwe decided to do that a long time ago, but apparently I forgot to actually make the change12:03
mdzthat would have been embarrassing, considering I was the one who proposed it12:03
zulheh..you are allowed to make mistakes sometimes12:04
Kamionok, with kickseed 0.9 it should be possible to do a complete Kickstart install of Ubuntu12:05
Kamionalthough with, uh, somewhat carefully-chosen arguments12:05
mdzKamion: do you have some notes that could be put into the wiki as a starting point for a howto?12:05
mdzI'd like to give that a try sometime soon12:06
=== hennin1 [~henning@NAT.office.mind.be] has left #ubuntu-devel []
Kamionmdz: not yet, but one-line instructions:12:06
mdzI'm pretty much convinced that casper should cause shells (running as the live user) to be spawned on the console, rather than letting getty prompt for a username/password12:07
Kamionmdz: install system-config-kickstart, run it, put the output on an HTTP server accessible from your install machine, boot with ks=http://... as a kernel argument12:07
mdzbut I'm not sure of the best means to launch them12:07
mdzdoes that take care of setting up the process group leadership, etc.?12:09
mdzideally it would be something which would update utmp as well12:09
mdzand ensure that the shell is launched as a login shell12:10
Kamionhm, busybox doesn't have open(1) or openvt(1) so I can't check on the convenient machine12:10
mdzI think I might just want to spawn /bin/login -f $user or such12:11
mdzyes, that seems to dtrt12:12
mdzneed to arrange for it to be attached to the right vt, though. maybe openvt there12:14
mdzopenvt complains that the vt is in use, odd12:15
mdzinit seems to use a shell anyway, so I can just use redirections instead12:16
Kamionhmm, nice of the anaconda guys to document ks=ftp://. not.12:16
Kamionso I guess that'll work too as of kickseed 0.1012:17
=== dholbac1 [~daniel@td9091a82.pool.terralink.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hennin1 [~henning@NAT.office.mind.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dholbac1 is now known as dholbach
=== T-Bone is now known as T-None
mdzKamion: can you confirm that TERM=serial is the proper test for a serial console in d-i?12:21
mdzif so, I'll make that change at the same time12:21
mdzer, yeah, that12:22
Kamionhm, one sec12:22
mdzI wonder if I should skip configuring X entirely, or only stop gdm from starting12:22
mdzI suppose I should skip it, since elmo pointed out that it asks questions12:23
Kamion$TERM_TYPE doesn't show up while executing a shell from d-i's main menu, which is odd12:23
Kamionoh, I guess that shell gets its env cleared12:23
Kamionyes, TERM_TYPE=serial should indeed be fine12:24
mdzok, thanks12:24
Kamionset via /lib/debian-installer/detect-console-linux12:24
mdzis there an easy way I can test it?12:24
Kamiontest it?12:25
Kamionthat :)12:25
mdzdo I just boot with console=ttyS... ?12:25
Kamionboot with init=/bin/sh and frob /lib/debian-installer/detect-console to lie? dunno what other effects that would have12:25
mdzor does d-i have a magic console mode?12:25
Kamionno, the test is a readlink on /proc/self/fd/012:26
mdzwhat file does that belong to?12:26
mdz"what package does that file belong to"12:26
Kamionbooting with console=ttyS... would do it12:26
HrdwrBoByou have to specify the rate etc too though12:26
=== lupusBE [~lupus@dD5E03E70.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ultrafunk [~pd@eth779.vic.adsl.internode.on.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mdzyes, hence ...12:27
mdzKamion: I just noticed that the user-password configuration stuff could be done in a nicer way; passwd.config automagically skips the password comparison stuff if I don't preseed user-password-again12:30
mdzKamion: however, user-password-again is asked at priority high12:30
mdz(pointing again to the fact that casper should probably use priority=critical)12:30
mdzwhat I would really like to do would be to set the user password to empty, but passwd.config explicitly disallows that12:32
mdzI suppose I could just set it afterward12:34
dholbachseb128: ping12:34
dholbachseb128: do you have an idea, what i could have done in packaging, to have 6 warnings like "** (process:28997): CRITICAL **: egg_desktop_entries_add_group: assertion `egg_desktop_entries_lookup_group (entries, group_name) == NULL' failed" and just 3?12:35
dholbachseb128: i'm still working on coaster12:35
dholbachseb128: the warnings refer to the installation12:35
hennin1hy, i just managed to install ubuntu with FAI - fully automatic install from a sarge install server. as i saw, the ubuntu packages for FAI, at least as they are in warty, are preconfigured only to install sarge - is there any need for patches to install ubuntu with fai? 12:36
seb128dholbach: seems to be a update-desktop-database output, probably from a .desktop on the system, dunno which one12:37
tsenghennin1: ubuntu hoary is implementing kickstart support in the installer. stay tuned12:37
dholbachah ok... thought it was my fault 12:38
tsengother automated install methods probably wont be supported12:38
dholbachseb128: another problem is that clicking on a file edited with coaster fires up coaster nicely, but doesnt show the contents stored in the file - i can only guess from the lack of bugreports on it, that it's my problem and not upstreams :-)12:39
hennin1tseng: does that mean there won't even be a FAI package in ubuntu at all?12:39
seb128dholbach: is the .desktop correctly installed ?12:39
tsenghennin1: its probably a universe package, no?12:40
dholbachseb128: /usr/share/applications/coaster.desktop12:40
tsenghennin1: which currently means, YMMV. you are certainly free to offer us a fixed package, but it wont be a priority to fix with kickstart support coming in the installer12:40
tsenghennin1: visit us here or debian-devel list if you procure a fix, please12:41
=== mirak [~mirak@AAubervilliers-152-1-51-138.w82-121.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== wasabi [~wasabi@c-24-1-67-127.client.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128dholbach: so it should work12:45
mdzKamion: where did we leave off with getting the opencd content onto the hoary live CDs?  waiting for a permanent URL?12:45
Kamionmdz: sorry, maybe it's too late at night for me to understand that user-password-again query12:45
seb128dholbach: "coaster /path/to/file" works ?12:45
dholbachseb128: well i hope, mxpxpod drops in then... i'm pretty clueless what's going on12:46
KamionI'm not convinced that casper should use priority=critical12:46
mdzKamion: the user-password-again thingy was, I think, a "we could clean this up when moving casper to priority critical after hoary" sort of musing12:46
Kamionpriority=critical has semantics that proved to be too much trouble12:46
KamionI'm uncomfortable with supporting the installer and casper at two different priorities; I think it will just make excessive work12:46
Kamion23:38 < tseng> other automated install methods probably wont be supported12:47
dholbachseb128: no :-/12:47
Kamiontseng: that's not true; preseed will be supported12:47
dholbachseb128: ah... ok... maybe i found something12:47
seb128what ?12:47
tsengKamion: he is looking at some universe package targetted at sarge12:47
dholbachseb128: a warning about a dtd12:47
mdzwe already test them separately anyway12:47
Kamiontseng: kickstart is primarily for compatibility purposes; it is less flexible than other methods12:48
Kamionmdz: I'm just speaking from experience of the pain of diverging semantics there12:48
mdzyou expect priority=critical would be more fragile than the existing preseeding stuff?12:48
Kamioncasper's situation would be less problematic than the installer's, but priority=critical is still really meant for fully automated installs where you have tuned the installer to your system by preseeding it12:49
Kamionyes, I do12:49
mdzKamion: how guilty would you feel about adding another udevstart invocation to work around #5732 ?12:51
hennin1tseng: yes, it is a universe package. where can i read about in which form i'll have to provide that patch? (i never produced a patch for a debian package until now, and know even less about the ubuntu development process).  for the debian package, the FAI maintainer already knows about it and will put the necessary fix into FAi.  12:52
tsenghm are you talking about a real bug that prevents you from using it with ubuntu, or a branding issue?12:53
tsengim not familiar with this package12:55
Kamionmdz: probably not at all12:55
Kamion... not at all guilty12:56
hennin1as long as my install server isn't running ubuntu, it is no problem for me at all, but the available ubuntu package simply won't install ubuntu but sarge.12:56
tsengthat sounds like a branding issue12:57
tsengyou are asking for the default configuration of the ubuntu package to support ubuntu, not sarge12:58
mdzKamion: sounds good12:59
mdzseb128: still here?12:59
mdzseb128: I am trying to think of a good way to fix #666701:00
mdzcurrently, the live CD uses automaticlogin01:00
mdzwhich is perfect for the first login, but after that, leaves the user at a login prompt01:00
mdzmaybe I should enable both automaticlogin and timedlogin?  would that work?01:00
hennin1i don't know much about kickstart, but as i see, kamion is right, i don't see the possibility to have custom scripts like FAI supports them, at the first glance there's no information about how different system types can be managed with kickstart. anyway, i use fai since some time and don't plan to switch, as i already have a lot of work put into FAI01:00
tsengyou can set a 10 second relogin timer or so01:00
tsengand it gives visual feedback01:01
mdzok, I'll test that01:01
tseng"10 seconds to login" above the username prompt01:01
seb128mdz: I've not tried, perhaps01:01
tsengi do that on my mythtv box01:01
mdzseems to work perfectly, thanks01:01
hennin1tseng: i don't know what you consider "branding" issue. 01:01
tsenghennin1: branding = customizing a package for ubuntu01:01
tsengwhich is what you are looking to do as I understand it.01:02
tsengwhich makes me wonder what you think the upstream maintainer is doing for you, its not a bug perse01:02
mdztseng: I'm going to do that on my mythtv box as well01:03
tsenghennin1: really to be perfectly honest this FAI stuff doesnt look like something I can/am willing to support, and its in universe. youll have to explain your issues with the package to ubuntu-devel mailing list or find someone else in #ubuntu-motu to take up your cause. or better, read the debian new maintainer guide and learn packaging, and roll us a fix.01:04
seb128time to sleep, night01:05
tsenghennin1: I'd rather not bother every one here anymore about it today, sorry01:05
tsengi hope one of those courses of action is successful for you :)01:05
Kamionwow, hostile much? :) it's a bug ...01:07
tsenghm I didnt mean to be hostile at all.. it seems like a branding thing to me, like apt-proxy01:07
Kamionlack of technically-required branding is a bug01:08
Kamionas I understand hennin1's issue, it is not merely cosmetic01:08
hennin1tseng: oh, sorry, i just wanted to offer help, nor bother anybody nor less request any action,  my personal needs are fulfilled as my ubuntu is running and installed automatically with FAI. but i'll go for the hint with the new maintainers guide...01:08
hennin1no problem, tseng. :)01:09
tsengno I didnt mean to be an ass, there is just a stigma that people like to keep this channel low traffic01:09
tsengi probably take it too seriously01:09
dholbachhennin1: yes, get rocking in the MOTU crew! :-)01:09
tsenghennin1: #ubuntu-motu can help you with packaging issues.. it sounds like you basically need to patch the default config or provide your own01:11
tsenghennin1: if you write it.. I can help you start packaging it01:12
hennin1kamion: i think you're right. simply put, if i somebody will have an ubuntu server runnung FAI, he probably don't want it to install sarge, which is what would happen right now :) that a bit more grave than just a  wrong logo or something...01:12
tsengdoes that make sense?01:12
=== dholbach drags tseng and hennin1 over into the other tab ;-)
=== srbaker [~srbaker@blk-137-73-116.eastlink.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mjg59 [mjg59@cavan.codon.org.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
zulhey mjg59 01:39
=== ultrafunk [~pd@eth779.vic.adsl.internode.on.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jdubargh. pain. so. tempting. to. ship. evince. must. have. discipline.01:46
=== mpt_newjersey [~mpt@dynamic-oit-vapornet-c-169.Princeton.EDU] has joined #ubuntu-devel
calcevince isn't integrated with cups yet is it?01:49
jdubhow do you mean?01:50
calcthe last time i looked at its printer options it looked different01:51
jdubit uses gnomeprint01:51
jdubwhich uses cups01:51
calcah ok01:51
calcmaybe i was confused with something else01:51
=== jdub is just trying to print now
=== calc goes back to his desk to see
jdubhrm. two-to-a-page didn't work. d'oh. ;)01:52
jdubah, i recall seeing something about this.01:52
calchmm yea it looks fine to me, i don't know what i was on01:55
calcthough it did seem to consistently crash trying to load the iso c++ doc01:55
=== calc bbiab trying to get new ipw2200 driver working under ubuntu
=== hennin1 [~henning@NAT.office.mind.be] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== robertj offers jdub the outlet of going to put evince on the GrumpyGroundhog wiki page right now
danielsmjg59: any luck with that drm patch? :)02:06
=== srbaker [~srbaker@blk-137-73-116.eastlink.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tritium [~tritium@12-202-90-180.client.insightBB.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== wasabi [~wasabi@c-24-1-67-127.client.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ph_ [~ph@pD9587429.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jbaileywasabi: There?  I can't seem to get to your package page right now.02:55
=== ph [~ph@pD9587429.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dholbachjdub: ping03:23
=== jammcq [~jam@pcp09022402pcs.watrfd01.mi.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jdubdholbach: pong03:25
dholbachjdub: do you know the irc nick of George Farris (the author of gfax)? he said he got in contact with you03:26
jdubhrm, don't think i've ever met him on irc03:26
jdubyeah, he's been working on the new mono version of gfax03:26
dholbachjust wanted to know, to get him more into the MOTU boat :-)03:26
jdubthat'd be rad03:27
dholbachi'll drop him a mail03:27
bob2jdub: would it be possible to beg a patch into the ubuntu kernel at this point?03:33
jdubbob2: somewhat unlikely, but if it could possibly be seen as a bugfix, it's worth asking03:39
bob2jdub: it just adds pci ids for the x40 irda controller03:39
jdubthat's totally a bugfix03:39
bob2that's what I thought!03:39
dholbachsomeone should take care of a sync of the mozilla-thunderbird-locale-* packages, at least with the current german one, thunderbird crashes immediately03:41
dholbachi'll tell Mithrandir once he returned from fosdem03:42
=== srbaker [~srbaker@blk-137-73-116.eastlink.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jdubjdubtv! -> http://node.waugh.id.au:8800/03:45
dholbachjdub: mailed him, be sure to push the next universe guys to #ubuntu-motu as soon as they hit you :-)03:46
jdubrockin' :)03:46
zuljdub: thats just plain scary :)03:46
dholbachjdub: turn up the music, i can't hear anything03:47
dholbachand it is in sync... can't believe it03:48
=== tseng tunes in to jdub|tv
=== luis_ [~louie@h001217d2c87d.ne.client2.attbi.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dholbachsleep tight everyone *yawn*04:25
tsengbye dholbach 04:26
dholbachbye tseng04:26
dholbachtotem doesn't seem to be able to bookmark yet :-)04:27
tsengno, just recent files04:28
tsengwhich dont include http it seems04:28
danielsjdub's diggin' tha music04:35
=== mpt_newjersey [~mpt@dynamic-oit-vapornet-c-169.Princeton.EDU] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== matt_ [~matt@bob.is.teh.admin.at.vicnet.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== farruinn [~nathan@cpe-69-201-12-137.twcny.res.rr.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== wasabi [~wasabi@c-24-1-67-127.client.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== schweeb_ [~chris@schweeb.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== `anthony [~anthony@ekorp-203-63-137-225.eoff.ekorp.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Xof [~mas01cr@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== OddAbe19 [~OddAbe19@pcp02542642pcs.lncstr01.pa.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== luis_ [~louie@h001217d2c87d.ne.client2.attbi.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jinty [~jinty@115.Red-80-24-9.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== luis_ is now known as lu|sleep
=== wasabi__ [~wasabi@c-24-1-67-127.client.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lu|sleep [~louie@h001217d2c87d.ne.client2.attbi.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tritium [~tritium@12-202-90-180.client.insightBB.com] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Leaving"]
=== enrico [~enrico@enrico.developer.debian] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== froud [~froud@ndn-165-131-148.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mpt_newjersey [~mpt@eetemad.student.Princeton.EDU] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== opi [~emil@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Goshawk [~Goshawk@host88-171.pool8251.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== d3vic3 [~foobar@dumbledore.hbd.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti [~martin@box79162.elkhouse.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zenrox [~zenrox@wbar7.sea-4-12-028-223.dsl-verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokomorning all08:50
dokod3vic3: did you get some feedback from #kubuntu about the kde bindings?08:50
pittiHi doko08:52
d3vic3doko, no08:53
=== lu|sleep [~louie@h001217d2c87d.ne.client2.attbi.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== martink [~martin@pD9EB3147.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mpt_newjersey [~mpt@eetemad.student.Princeton.EDU] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== seb128 [~seb128@ANancy-151-1-35-162.w83-196.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
opid3vic3: what this KDE bindings was about?09:34
opid3vic3: I'm currently using Ubuntu + KDE09:34
=== EvaSDK [eva@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
opid3vic3: I didn't play with QT Bindings 09:35
=== msturm [~msturm@t-20-214.athome.tue.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
opid3vic3: you want to test it, or?09:36
d3vic3well, no, it wont build09:36
opioh, I can try to build it after 1 PM09:38
=== pitti [~martin@box79162.elkhouse.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mvo [~egon@ip181.135.1511I-CUD12K-01.ish.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zenrox_ [~zenrox@wbar7.sea-4-12-028-223.dsl-verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti [~martin@box79162.elkhouse.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128jdub: what do you think about #6989 ?09:49
=== dholbach [~daniel@td9091a82.pool.terralink.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dholbachgooooooooood morning09:51
=== jordi [~jordi@115.Red-213-96-69.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jdubseb128: while we're not willing to support SA, and we don't write a new spam filtering plugin...09:58
jdubseb128: it would be nice if the UI disappeared if SA wasn't around09:58
jdubyo Kamion 09:59
dholbachhi Kamion 09:59
seb128according to #evolution guys evolution should depends on sa09:59
jdubso not much interest in fixing that then ;)09:59
seb128but right, let's that for the moment09:59
Kamion... and gone again, giving K a lift to work. that was a short morning. :)09:59
=== zenrox_ [~zenrox@wbar7.sea-4-12-028-223.dsl-verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
drbytehah, kernel-team is being bugzilla spammed. clever. 10:12
drbytecan someone just add arch tags to bugzilla mail instead?10:12
=== dredg [niall@malkovich.office.blacknight.ie] has joined #ubuntu-devel
d3vic3http://img95.exs.cx/img95/272/mozillaadware4vs.png <-- issint this anti-trust10:14
dholbachhi drbyte 10:14
dholbachhi dredg 10:14
drbyted3vic3: its supposed to be a fake iirc10:14
drbytehi dholbach 10:14
dholbachMithrandir: still/already there?10:15
=== zenrox_ [~zenrox@wbar7.sea-4-12-028-223.dsl-verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
d3vic3drbyte, I figure that much 10:17
Kamiondrbyte: well, the kernel team *does* need to take responsibility for kernel bugs ... at least bugzilla mail is threaded now10:20
drbyteKamion: yeah. i was looking for a way to just get the arch specific stuff, because i don't care about the other archs (tbh, i don't even have access to something like x86_64; so its not a matter of not caring)10:21
Kamionsome clever procmail could possibly filter threads on the Architecture: tag in the first message, I suppose ...10:22
drbytethanks. i'll look into it. get Evo to pipe outside or something10:23
Kamionwould be easier if bugzilla would put the current value of Architecture: in a mail header, though10:26
drbyteactually, evolution can do magic too, i think. i'll play with it later...10:28
=== Alessio [~Alessio@host146-4.pool8249.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zenrox [~zenrox@wbar7.sea-4-12-028-223.dsl-verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== marcin_ant [~marcin@www.e-dev.tele2.pl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== carlos_ [~carlos@69.Red-80-33-181.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== AndyFitz [~root@220-245-97-227-qld-pppoe.tpgi.com.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== eva_ [eva@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
amumoin all 10:41
AndyFitzg'day amu10:42
amuhey AndyFitz10:44
pittiHi amu10:44
pittiHi carlos10:44
carloshi *10:44
amuhuh pitti & carlos  10:45
=== eva_ is now known as EvaSDK
mvoseb128: do you know when gtk2.6 entered sarge?11:18
seb1282 days ago11:19
seb128why ?11:19
Treenaksmvo: isn't that on packages.qa.debian.org somewhere?11:19
mvoTreenaks: I had a quick look, but didn't find it. but IIRC it is11:19
seb128mvo: any issue with it ?11:20
mvoit breaks synaptic11:20
seb128mvo: speak nooooow :p11:20
seb128oh great :/11:20
seb128how so ?11:20
mvoit's a synaptic problem, so don't worry. 11:20
mvoand it's fixed in unstable11:21
seb128just curious but how does it break ?11:21
mvo(and ubuntu of course)11:21
seb128it should be compatible ...11:21
mvoincorrect quiting a GtkDialog with "gtk_main() and gtk_quit()" IIRC (and not using gtk_dialog_run())11:22
=== janc [~janc@dD577042C.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mvoI'll just push the unstable synaptic into testing and hope for the best :)11:23
=== herzi [~herzi@d044011.adsl.hansenet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== herzi [~herzi@d044011.adsl.hansenet.de] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== herzi [~herzi@d044011.adsl.hansenet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mirak [~mirak@AAubervilliers-152-1-34-145.w83-114.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Simira [rpGirl@m146i.studby.ntnu.no] has joined #ubuntu-devel
haggaidoko: Am I right in thinking that the gcc/amd64 ABI changed from 3.3 -> 3.4/4.0?12:33
=== Safari_Al [~tr@ppp51-83.lns1.adl2.internode.on.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ttf [~tom@p3EE37297.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokohaggai: the C++ ABI? AFAIK there are no platform specific changes between these versions12:35
lifelessI thought 3.4 introd a new C++ ABI12:40
lifelessfor all playforms12:40
dokolifeless: correct, but we needed mozilla and firefox on amd64 to be built with g++-3.4, so the g++-3.4 for amd64 is configured with -fabi-version=1.12:42
haggaidoko: sorry, I meant upstream gcc.  OOo2-amd64 is segfaulting in the bridges module and I wonder if it is because it has been written for a different ABI12:45
=== Alessio [~Alessio@host146-4.pool8249.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== herzi [~herzi@c167092.adsl.hansenet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokothe C++ ABI in 3.4 and 4.0 is the same, but differs from the one in 3.312:49
haggaidoko: hmm, that's probably the cause of the problem then, thanks12:53
=== HiddenWolf [~hidde@136.137.dynamic.phpg.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jordihola hola hola01:01
jordicarlos: ping01:01
seb128hey jordi 01:01
carlosjordi: pong01:02
jordiOMG THE TV DUDE01:02
danielsyo hordi01:02
seb128hey carlos 01:02
jordicarlos: ok, so it's good :)01:02
jordicarlos: I don't have access to my mail right now. I forgot to switch my computer on this morning. :)01:03
seb128jordi: you suck01:03
jordiI'm going to London this WE01:03
carlosseb128: hi01:03
jordiit's going to be cool01:03
jordiseb128: yeah, I suck, because my signed epiphany upload is sitting in my powered off computer. :)01:04
carlosjordi: Don't worry, I asked already the plane tickets for you01:04
=== seb128 slaps jordi
Treenaksjordi: get on your bicycle, get it powered! :)01:04
jordiTreenaks: dude, I'm so unfit01:04
jordiI haven't trained in months01:05
jordithat makes me suck more than seb imagines01:05
carlosjordi: you are sooo weak...01:05
seb128carlos: why a plane ticket ? The lazy boy can run and swim :p01:05
carlosseb128: right!01:05
carlosseb128: good idea01:05
carlosjordi: see you in London01:05
jordiseb128: if you arrange a 2 month vacation for me, I surely can do it01:05
carlosjordi: sorry you only have one day01:05
Treenaksjordi: oh, and no more complaining about not being fit after that then :)01:06
HiddenWolfguys, there is a guy in #ubuntu with a fatal kernel error, and I can't help him, can anyone of you try?01:06
=== decko [decko@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
HiddenWolfsome guy in #ubuntu running into hotplug/modprobe weirdness. I'm out of my depth here, please assist01:13
=== fgubuntu [~fgubuntu@barlach.spin.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jbailey [~jbailey@CPE000ded9d787c-CM014260028338.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittidaniels: pin01:23
=== `anthony [~anthony@220-253-35-241.VIC.netspace.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jbaileyDo problems with the wiki go into bugzilla under 'websites'?01:36
jdubyeah, or the WikiWishlist page01:36
AndyFitzjdub, my t-shirts got rejected :-/01:37
AndyFitzill be more conservative next time01:37
jbaileyYeah, this is another 'thinks I've registered under this email address when I really haven't' bug.01:37
=== dholbach [~daniel@td9091a82.pool.terralink.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== opi [~emil@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
haggaijbailey: is there a javadoc replacement in gcj somewhere?01:56
jbaileyhaggai: gjdoc is in classpath-tools.01:57
haggaijbailey: cool thank you01:57
=== [m0rph] [~morph@p83.129.200.183.tisdip.tiscali.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jbaileyhaggai: It's in our list of things to upload and get in, but we're stuck behind java on ppc issues.  Hopefully resolved RSN.01:58
=== mako [mako@micha.hampshire.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Keybuk [~scott@descent.netsplit.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
haggaijbailey: ah, I see01:59
danielsgreat, bug in discover1 preventing installation in some cases.  hooray!!02:03
Treenaks3 cheers for $uploader!02:04
danielsi wonder if i should just piss discover1 off and move us to my 100-line python script that reads the same format02:06
danielsand *doesn't* break crap02:06
=== azeem [~mbanck@socks-out.lrz-muenchen.de] has left #ubuntu-devel ["laters"]
jordidiscover[12]  is annoying.02:07
jordidaniels: so Hoary does discover? warty didn't, right?02:08
=== JanC [JanC@dD577042C.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jbaileydaniels: What cases does your script cover that hotplug on its own doesn't?02:09
danielsjordi: yes, complete shit02:12
danielsjordi: hoary uses discover in xserver-xorg postinst, just like xserver-xfree86 in warty and debian02:12
danielsjbailey: there's no way to go to hotplug and say 'hey, so y'know my video cards, right, what driver should I use for those?'02:12
danielsjbailey: that's the only reason discover1 is in main right now02:13
Treenaksdaniels: shouldn't hotplug say "Hey! There's a videocard here.. *do magic*"02:14
haggaijbailey: is there any plan to get ant in main?02:14
jbaileydaniels: You mean for touching the X config?02:14
danielsjbailey: yeah02:14
danielsTreenaks: no, because we don't ever want to find it out except when we want to (i.e. the user wants us to build a configuration)02:15
danielseven so, it's a biiiig database.02:15
jbaileyhaggai: Yes, Java wants to crawl towards main including development environment.  02:15
jbaileyhaggai: We're trying to get eclipse in, so it and all of its dependancies.02:15
haggaijbailey: but I guess not for hoary, right?02:15
jbaileydaniels: I would love to see a discover that didn't insmod things and only touched other configs (sane, X, etc..)02:16
danielsjbailey: right now we're specifically telling it to not do that02:16
jbaileyhaggai: Not realistically, no.  At this point we're still sorting out the last of the gcc4 issues.  The most recent seems to be libtool breakage.02:16
danielsjbailey: all it does is walks the PCI bus and lets us know which cards are video cards, and which driver we should use for those02:16
jbaileyNice!  02:17
=== lu|sleep is now known as luis_
danielsjbailey: that's how we use discover1 right now, and that's what the Python bit does02:17
jbaileyI remember someone asking me how ugly it would be to change their video card out.  Cool to know that's handled.02:17
haggaijbailey: ok, thanks.  OOo needs ant for some parts so that make the job harder for hoary02:17
jbaileyhaggai: Ah, bugger.02:17
danielsbear in mind that I've not really given this a clean-up, it was just sort of incrementally written in a hurry02:18
=== enrico [~enrico@enrico.developer.debian] has joined #ubuntu-devel
danielsjbailey: 'badly'.  the idea is for the XKeepsCrashing handler in gdm to re-run discover(.py), compare the results to a cache and say 'shit dude, your hardware's changed, I'm going to try to automatically reconfigure it'; if *that* fails, start up in VESA or something.02:18
danielsjbailey: this shouldn't actually be very hard to write at all.02:19
=== brainZzZ [stirps@c-67-171-62-252.client.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== daniels fixes a massive tangled mess of Debconfiscation, with the end result that upgrades now work fine also.
=== tritium [~tritium@ee213-dhcp-4.ecn.purdue.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Evaso [~yellow@ppp-126-167.24-151.libero.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Evasohi pitti any news about pktcdvd and pmount?02:30
pittiEvaso: Hi again02:30
pittiEvaso: just missed you in #d-devel :-)02:30
pittiEvaso: sorry, I did not yet have time to try it out02:30
Evasoi had found what is probably the issue02:30
danielsmdz: aha!  worked out that bastard problem where we weren't prompting for the keyboard layout if we were totally stuck and just had a random guess at us02:30
danielsmdz: if it wasn't for this, most everyone would've seen a keyboard layout prompt02:31
dredgdoes this mean that next time i install ubuntu X won't default to 'us'? :)02:32
Evasopitti: the problem is that for cd inserted in a cd/dvd burining device that are udf fromatted there must be mount the /dev/pktcdvd/x unity instead of /dev/hdx 02:32
sivanghi all02:32
Treenakshey siv02:32
danielsdredg: depends on when you install it ;) but yes02:32
dredgdaniels: good good :)02:32
daniels  * Ensure that we prompt at priority critical if we can't properly guess the02:33
Evasopitti: pmount try to mount only the hdx device.. is it possible to make a selective mount with pmount?02:33
daniels    keyboard layout, although we shouldn't have to guess.02:33
sivanghey Treenaks 02:33
pittiEvaso: you can try to mount the pktdvd device with pmount02:33
pittiEvaso: however, hal probably only recognizes the /dev/hdX device02:34
pittiEvaso: and gnome-volume-manager only listens to hal02:34
danielsjbailey: note in particular the little-to-no error handling :)02:34
Evasopitti: but: 1) we mount every time only the /dev/pktcdvd/x devices for buring unity also if the cd/dvd inserted is not udf formatted or we must to do a selective mount and control the fs type of the media inserted02:35
Evasopitti: the pktcdvd device are mapped on a real /dev/hdx device02:36
pittiEvaso: per-filesystem mount should be reasonably easy, pmount already does this partially02:36
Evasopitti: this could be the best solution, if u had udftools installed u can see the mapping configuration from here: /etc/default/udftools02:37
jbaileydaniels: ;)02:37
Evasopitti: udftools already use udev for devices02:38
pittiEvaso: it does? that's cool, then it should already be integrated with sysfs02:38
brainZzZwhen i select that it says that it should already be correctly installed02:39
Evasopitti: yes is integrated in sysfs02:41
=== froud [~froud@ndn-165-131-148.telkomadsl.co.za] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Konversation]
Evasopitti: /sys/block/pktcdvd0 /sys/module/pktcdvd02:42
=== zul [~chuck@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiEvaso: what does /sys/block/pktcdvd0/removable contain?02:42
pittiHi zul02:42
Evasopitti: 102:43
zulhey pitti 02:43
Kamionelmo: could you promote system-config-kickstart's dependencies (hwdata, localechooser-data) to main, please?02:43
pittiEvaso: yay02:43
pittiEvaso: then it should actually be possible to pmount /dev/pktcdvd0/x02:43
pittiEvaso: is it?02:44
Evasopitti: do u mean /dev/pktcdvd/x in my case /dev/pktcdvd/0?02:45
pittiEvaso: err, yes02:45
Evasopitti: yes pmount manually work02:45
=== wasabi [~wasabi@c-24-1-67-127.client.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Evasopitti: the problem is only that automatically pmount mount /dev/hdx also when the cd inserted in the burning unity is and udf formatted cd/dvd02:46
pittiEvaso: yes, i'm aware of that. So either this requires hal support, or an ugly hack in pmount-hal02:47
Evasopitti: so this is becoming only an hal upstream improvments?02:48
seb128jdub: here .02:49
pittiEvaso: do you want to help me with this?02:49
Evasopitti: yes, sure02:49
pittiEvaso: if you find an algorithm/a C code snippet which tells me if a /dev/hdx has an associated /dev/pktcdvd/y?02:49
pittiEvaso: then I can integrate it into pmount-hal02:49
pittiEvaso: I can also do this myself, but I'm swamped currently and this might take a while02:50
pittiEvaso: if I have this, then pmount-hal can take the pkt device instead of the normal CD-ROM device02:50
pittiEvaso: as a workaround until hal supports this properly02:50
=== mjg59 [mjg59@cavan.codon.org.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sladenabelli: there's a wiki page called Ubuntu Artwork with the colour palette in it02:51
jdubseb128: yo02:51
Evasopitti: actually the pktcdvd module is drived by the mapping in /etc/default/udftools02:52
pittiEvaso: how does this file look like?02:52
Evasopitti: for example DEVICES="/dev/hdc"02:52
seb128jdub: about gnome-app-install ... is there an update planned to get all the deskop files ?02:52
jdubseb128: yes, data package will hit in the next couple of days02:53
jdubwhich will result in some bugs to fix ;)02:53
seb128should I update the menu now to include it ?02:53
Evasopitti: so for example DEVICES="/dev/hdc /dev/hdd" is mapped as /dev/pktcdvd/0 /dev/pktcdvd/1 etc. etc.02:54
pittiEvaso: that's everything?02:54
pittiEvaso: okay, so I check whether the corresponding pktcdvd device exists and just use it if present02:54
jdubseb128: yeah, please02:54
Evasopitti: no there is only an exception: the directive NEWINTNAMES=02:54
jdubseb128: hrm, actualaly02:55
jdubseb128: let's not do that until we have the data package02:55
jdubseb128: at least it's already in system tools for now02:55
seb128BTW I'm reluctant for the session changes02:55
seb128we don't have good icons02:55
seb128we don't have translations02:55
jdublangpack updates :-)02:55
jdubicons we can do02:55
seb128yeah, we have the language packs, but the really is that we don't include custom translations for the moment02:56
Evasopitti: as default if not specified is NEWINTNAMES="0 1 2 3" so for example DEVICES="/dev/hdc /dev/hdd /dev/hde" become /dev/pktcdvd/0 /dev/pktcdvd/1 /dev/pktcdvd/2 /dev/pktcdvd/302:56
jdubas soon as it goes in, we can make that happen though02:56
seb128I'll do the french one, but I'm sure that's going to bit us for a lot of languages02:56
pittiEvaso: what can NEWINTNAMES contain?02:56
brainZzZor else soon as it goes over like 35c it will run full blast02:56
jdubseb128: only slightly joking -> it'll be a good demonstration of langpack updates :-)02:57
seb128yeah, I don't doubt of the langpack updates02:57
tsenghm hope we get a f-spot release before then. it has a .desktop file now02:57
seb128I just doubt than we will get a good level of translation for that in rosetta02:57
Evasopitti: but i could set NEWINTNAMES for example like this DEVICE="/dev/hdd /dev/sr0" NEWINTNAMES="cdwriter dvdwriter", then /dev/hdd will correspond to /dev/pktcdvd/cdwriter, and /dev/sr0 will correspond to /dev/pktcdvd/dvdwriter 02:58
=== mxpxpod [~bryan@wuw-ojr3gmca.dybb.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiEvaso: what if NEWINTNAMES only specifies two devices, but DEVICE specifies more?02:58
pittiEvaso: is there already a helper program which evaluates the conffile?02:58
Evasopitti: that the other devices are mapped as default02:59
=== lupusBE [~lupus@dD5772F56.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiEvaso: which then starts with e. g. 2 or 0?02:59
seb128jdub: k, if you want to get the changes in the session dialog please try to get us some nice icons :)03:00
Kamionwhere's the documentation of the .desktop file format, and how categories work, that sort of thing?03:01
Evasopitti: pktsetup -s show alway the device mapping03:01
pittiEvaso: ah, cool03:01
Evasopitti: for example pktsetup -s as output i coudl have: 0 : 254:0 -> 22:003:02
=== neofeed [~moritz@pD9574C4F.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== fede_ [~fg@barlach.spin.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jdubKamion: freedesktop.org03:02
seb128jdub: have you read the mail about the nautilus' patch for the drag and drop from the folder list ?03:03
mx|goneseb128: thanks for applying my patch for gstreamer :)03:03
jdubKamion: the desktop spec and the menu spec03:03
jdubseb128: no03:03
seb128mx|gone: np, thanks for noticing the issue :)03:03
Kamionah, it's on fd.o, yeah, just found it03:03
mx|goneseb128: I didn't notice it until I started working on audio stuff for coaster :)03:03
Evasopitti: it think we could reuse this output for pmount-hal03:03
mx|goneseb128: anyway, np about the patch... it was pretty straightforward :)03:04
pittiEvaso: patches appreciated :-)03:04
mx|gonegotta get to work :)03:04
Evasopitti: sorry but i doesn't know c03:04
pittiEvaso: okay, I'll try to look into this soon03:05
seb128jdub: "looks good" according to alex, I'm tempted to include it to the nautilus package ...03:05
pittiEvaso: in the meantime, can you please open a bug report about this and include soem info (like your mapping and the steps to make it work)03:05
Evasopitti: could i open in debian?03:05
pittiEvaso: yes, for my sake03:06
pittiEvaso: I don't mind if it's ubuntu or debian03:06
Evasopitti: ok actually ubuntu/debian had the same problem :)03:06
jdubseb128: urgh, seems really strange.03:06
seb128why ?03:07
jduboh no03:07
jdubthat's going to guarantee that it never become an option menu03:07
seb128an option menu ?03:08
jdubyou currently have to click to get the menu03:09
jdubnot just mouse down03:09
jdubif it becomes draggable, it definitely couldn't be mousedown only03:09
seb128you want an auto-open on focus thing ?03:09
jdubmousedown on the button03:10
jdubno menu03:10
Kamionhm, I can't think of good categories for system-config-kickstart03:10
KamionI had GNOME;Development, but that puts it in a Programming menu03:10
jdubKamion: GNOME;Application;System;Utility;03:11
jdubthat's a start03:11
wasabiThose bottom ones should be ours. =)03:12
=== Kamion doesn't see Application in http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html
Kamionbut ok03:12
Kamionok, seems to end up in System Tools now, which is probably better, thanks03:12
kentwasabi, im using those right now. They are nice!03:13
=== wasabi [~wasabi@c-24-1-67-127.client.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== seb128_ [~seb128@ANancy-151-1-43-116.w83-196.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
tsenghey, what does the "preview freeze" mean to universe? I dont seem to see a -devel post mentioning it from a search on freeze03:24
Evasopitti: i had found in /etc/udev/permissions.d/udev.permissions pktcdvd/*:root:cdrom:0660 pktcdvd/control:root:root:064403:25
jdubtseng: universe continues to be quite relaxed. these final freezes are worth using, however.03:25
Evasopitti: this devices is already managed by hal?03:25
pittiEvaso: hal != udev03:25
tsengjdub: ok good, i have a few things id like to fix myself, and python updates are still progressing03:25
Evasopitti: i know03:25
Evasopitti: but if there are already in udev is possible there there is somthing in hal cvs03:26
=== Goshawk [~Goshawk@host213-98.pool8253.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiEvaso: I'm not aware of anything like that03:27
=== Alessio [~Alessio@host146-4.pool8249.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jbaileydoko: ping?03:35
dokojbailey: pong03:36
jbaileydoko: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-cvs/2005-02/msg01061.html claims to fix libjava bug, committed about 20 minutes ago.03:36
=== Goshawk [~Goshawk@host213-98.pool8253.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokoohh, ok, I'll update the snapshot first ...03:39
jbaileydoko: Thanks!03:39
Keybuk. o O { why does g-v-m _always_ segfault when I do an update? }03:47
=== pitti hides
=== x4m [~max@64.222-201-80.adsl.skynet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
truluxany difference between Warty kernel tree patches and such and Hoary's one?03:56
=== mpt_newjersey [~mpt@eetemad.student.Princeton.EDU] has joined #ubuntu-devel
zultrulux: yes alot03:59
=== fgx [~fgubuntu@barlach.spin.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jdubKeybuk: mail for you on u-d, forgot to cc04:07
tritiumWhat's up trulux?  How's the paper?04:09
Keybukjdub: cc would've been /dev/null'd anyway :p04:09
=== eruin [~eruin@eruin.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jinty [~jinty@78.Red-213-96-3.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sivang hi fives jinty
=== jinty_ [~jinty@78.Red-213-96-3.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jinty gives a low one back
=== rburton [~ross@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
danielsrburton: hey captain :)04:20
rburtonhi daniels 04:21
seb128pitti: around ?04:21
pittiseb128: always to your service :)04:22
seb128not sure on how to get useful details for the hal/gvm issue04:22
pittiseb128: I just meant, is the bug still reproducible for you with the latest kernel?04:22
seb128I've killed gvm and started it from the command line some days ago04:22
pittiseb128: without ibreakify?04:22
seb128it displays like 1 line every few second04:23
pittiseb128: g-v-m ^ ?04:23
pittiseb128: which line?04:23
=== Goshawk [~Goshawk@host213-98.pool8253.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ironwolf [~ironwolf@c-24-6-169-124.client.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== luis_ [~louie@h001217d2c87d.ne.client2.attbi.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Goshawkbooting the system i read: "entering runlevel 2" does anybody know something about the script/program that generates it? . The problem is that if i chvt 8 while booting this line (and others above) are written on vt8 and not in tty1 as all the others line are (this is a issue needed by usplash)04:34
pittithom: ping04:37
thompitti: hello04:37
pittithom: Hi, howdy04:37
pittithom: just evaluated #6002 with seb128 again04:37
pittithom: he and ogra had similar problems04:37
pittithom: but they seem to be gone with the latest kernel inotify fix04:38
thomi'll test it when i reboot again, then04:38
pittithom: okay, cool. Thanks04:38
pittithom: please watch out for dmesg thinks like "hal.hotplug[5759] : timout(10000 ms) waiting for /bus/pci/slots"04:39
=== darklight [~darklight@host29-46.pool81117.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sivangseb128: could you tell me why the resulting menu interface of gnome-cups-manager differs in it's "Edit" menu drop drastically then the one that's available when editing the glade file in the designer? it has 1 additional "Properties". 04:40
seb128sivang: probably because the code does some changes 04:40
sivangseb128: argh, ok, I'll check the code again. 04:41
brainZzZcool. i'll check the map04:41
sivangseb128: I also tried adding one item through the designer, bu then the whole item list for "Edit" changed. weird stuff04:42
mdzdaniels: nearly everyone seeing a second keyboard layout prompt isn't very nice...it seems like we're not guessing as well as we were in Warty04:43
jbaileyGoshawk: Best guess is that it's init writing it to /dev/console04:47
Goshawkjbailey, yes.. but the strange thing is that init writes its, why not all the messages are writtend in tty8?04:48
Goshawkthere are some lines in tty1 and some in tty804:49
=== jamin [~jamin@cust-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Goshawkand in tty1 there are not only kernel messages, but also rc scripts output (managed by init)04:50
jbaileyGoshawk: I don't know when tty1 is created, I'd have to look at the code.  rc scripts would probably be spawned against /dev/tty104:50
Goshawkyes, it calls something as: log_begin_msg "Starting $DESC: $NAME"04:51
Goshawkusplash is going to be ready... (i've now implemented bar) so if we need to ad it in ubuntu we should fix this error04:52
jbaileyRunlevel information isn't terribly useful.  'quiet' should probably silence sysvinit messages too then.04:53
Goshawkjbailey, no.. i need them in tty104:53
Goshawksince usplash reads from it04:53
jbaileyOh, I see.04:53
Goshawkbut all in tty104:53
danielsmdz: not really.  there were two bugs: one was that we were testing for LANG="en_AU" f.e. (guess how well that works with UTF-8), the other was that if we couldn't guess, the prompt wouldn't get shown.04:53
Goshawkusplash reads from dev/vcs1 to upgrade bars04:54
danielsmdz: the former has been solved by stripping out all qualifiers (@euro, .UTF-8) prior to testing $LANG; the latter has been solved also.04:54
jbaileyGoshawk: Bars, like progress bars?04:54
Goshawkit is capable of paste any kind of image04:54
Goshawkjbailey, sure04:54
danielsmdz: but I 'solved' the latter (only not, in some cases) first, so everyone would see it.  but now with solving both, we're back to exactly where we were with warty.  huzzah.04:54
Goshawkjbailey, excuse my bad english04:54
Goshawkif(text.find("Starting hotplug") != string::npos)04:55
Goshawk        {04:55
Goshawk  hotplug = true;04:55
Goshawk  background.draw(DrawableRectangle(device.xbar_min,30, device.xbar_min+30,50));04:55
Goshawk    background.write("/dev/fb0");04:55
danielsmdz: there's a discussion with myself and smurfix about making this less completely shit in your inbox04:55
mdzdaniels: yes, I see it04:55
mdzdaniels: can you upload xorg today?04:55
danielsmdz: no, I'm about to go to sleep04:56
danielsmdz: my target is tuesday, which I expect to be able to hold to04:56
mdzdaniels: array 6 is wednesday04:56
mdzand you have ~25 days worth of xorg changes queued up04:57
danielsmdz: (tuesday night being my dropdead; i'm confident enough that everything works, modulo having tested builds on all the different architectures, to upload it then.)04:57
danielsmdz: agh04:57
danielsmdz: understood -- obviously about 14 days of those were lost to multiseat, however (tracking down bugs in binary drivers with no spec sheets is not my idea of fun)04:57
mdzdid I mention preview freeze?04:57
danielstell me that's not wednesday ...04:57
danielswell, domestic duties are keeping me up late (it's already >3pm) anyway, so I might as well kick off test builds on davis and halley (builds and works ok on amd64 and i386)04:58
zulmdz: so no new features allowed after wednesday?04:58
sivangzul: bew features are already not allowed AFAIK ;-)04:59
zulok thats what i thought04:59
sivangzul: we are past UVF , that is.05:00
jbaileyGoshawk: Does it say precisely "entering runlevel 2"? 05:00
danielsoh, ugh, need to upload a new .orig.tar.gz05:01
mdzzul: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/PreviewFreeze05:01
mdzzul: confirmed changes only05:01
Goshawkjbailey, yep05:01
pittiHi mdz05:01
mdzsivang: FeatureFreeze is the relevant state here05:01
mdzpitti: morning05:01
Goshawkthen: "Saving VESA state"05:02
sivangmdz: hrm, right :)05:02
jbaileyGoshawk: Bah.  The E is capital. ;)  Added -i to my grep. =)05:02
Goshawkthen : "Starting system log daemon"05:02
Goshawkjust switch to tty1 and all the lines above "runlevel 2" are written in /dev/cosole instead of tty105:03
Goshawk(it seems)05:03
jbaileyGoshawk: I'm not sure the right way to do this.  I'm guessing we'd have to 1) Create tty1 in the initrd, 2) Make sure that there was noone watching on anything other than the screen, so that serial console doesn't lose data.05:04
brainZzZif cbs showed anything other than the kennedy funeral in the sixties theyd be off the air now05:04
enricohello.  I'm trying to put scrollkeeper .omf files in a multi-binary source package: how do I tell dh_scrollkeeper to install only some omf files in the package?05:05
danielsmdz: new orig uploading, which scp seems to think will take nigh on an hour; i'll run test builds around as soon as I can, and if they all pass, I'll upload on the grounds that it fixes enough important stuff that any regressions I haven't caught are likely to be minor in comparison05:05
Kamionzul: speaking of freezes, any idea when I can expect the next kernel upload?05:05
Goshawkjbailey, i dont' think that creating tty1 by initrd will solve the problem... 05:05
danielsmdz: sorry it's taken so long, but multiseat totally threw my schedule in every way (not just work)05:05
Goshawkbtw.. i'm gonna continue developing usplash...05:06
mdzI know05:06
zulKamion: have to talk to lamont, did you have a look at that sata atapi cd-rom bug? 05:06
jbaileyGoshawk: It would have to be before init was started if you wanted all of init's messages to go to a particular console.05:06
zulKamion: probably thursday will be the upload data05:06
=== doko [~doko___@dsl-084-059-003-196.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
brainZzZtake a look at that05:07
Goshawkjbailey, they are already there05:07
Kamionzul: I would much rather have it before preview freeze05:07
Goshawkjbailey, all the mesages remains in tty105:07
zulKamion: talk to lamont though he is the one who does the uploads05:07
mdzdaniels: please send me a copy of your xorg changelog05:07
Goshawkonly those that are belove "runlevel 2" are in /dev/console05:07
mdzmaybe we should just delay it until after preview05:07
jbaileyGoshawk: Oh, really?  Hmm.05:07
Goshawkjbailey, it could be a configuration problem05:07
Goshawknothing important05:08
Kamionmdz: I don't think we can preview with that keyboard misconfig bug05:08
Goshawkbut we have to change it05:08
jbaileyzul: do you need me to track down whether the hotplug event is every actually sent?  I don't see how we could be ignoring it.  The code's pretty simple.05:08
jbaileyzul: Or... hmmm.05:08
Kamionzul: you mean #1440?05:08
zuljbailey: yes please05:08
zulKamion: yep05:08
jbaileyzul: It's the root driver.  There would have to be some further magic probably.05:08
Goshawkjbailey, try to put a simple script S01chvt with "chvt 8 " command into /etc/rcS.d/ and you will see more about that problem05:09
mdzKamion: I'm inclined to agree, but we are limited by daniels' physical stamina as well05:09
jbaileyzul: We probably load the SATA stuff in the initrd, and the harddisk driver.  No cdrom driver available at that point, and probably no coldplugging events for the scsi bus later.05:09
Kamionmdz: there's always the option of having *just* that change, which would be much smaller and pretty easily tested05:10
zuljbailiey: hmm...do what you ahve to do ;)05:10
mdzdaniels: how much work would that be?05:10
=== mdz watches pages of changelog scroll by
Kamionmdz: re #5732, do you mean that just a udevstart after each time we run the hotplug scripts would fix it?05:12
danielsmdz: keyboard misconfig is hopefully solved05:12
danielskamixorg 6.8.105:12
mdzKamion: in this case, one udevstart after cdrom-detect would fix it05:12
danielsKamion: xorg 6.8.2 is in all the custom cds we made; it may solve the livecd keyboard misdetection bug05:12
Kamionudevstart is generally safe to run, isn't it?05:12
mdzKamion: well, after the hoptlug bits and before the actually-using-the-device-bits of cdrom-detect05:12
danielsKamion: aiui, the only real keyboard problems we had were with the live cd; is there anything wrong with the install system?05:13
mdzKamion: yes05:13
mdzI could imagine that it might get confused if you hotplug certain types of devices while udevstart is running, but mostly it's idempotent, and hotplugging devices while the installer is detecting hardware is pathological05:13
Kamiondaniels: well, people generally get the wrong keyboard on installation as well due to $LANG containing .UTF-8, AIUI05:13
danielsKamion: right -- we prune .UTF-8 now05:14
Kamiondaniels: that's what I meant05:14
daniels(specifically: MYLANG=${LANG%%@euro}\nMYLANG=${MYLANG%%.UTF-8}05:14
mdzarray 6 is our best chance to get this fix tested for preview05:14
mdzso it needs to be on there, one way or another05:14
danielsyeah, which is why my uplink is saturated with the .orig.tar.gz05:14
Kamion(the double % is redundant-though-harmless, by the way)05:15
danielsKamion: is it still posh-or-whatever-cracked-out-crap-we-have-in-the-installer compliant?05:15
danielsactually, nevermind, doesn't get hit until the installed system05:15
mdzdaniels: why  isn't the .orig.tar.gz identical to upstream's?05:15
Kamionthe installer uses busybox, not posh05:15
danielsmdz: non-free fonts and shit.  also, thanks to dbs, the .orig.tar.gz contains a copy of the upstream tarball./05:15
danielsmdz: so xorg_6.8.2.orig.tar.gz contains xorg-6.8.2/xorg-6.8.2.tar.gz, which is a pruned copy of X11R6.8.2-src.tar.gz05:16
mdzgah, right05:16
danielsit'll apparently be done in 34min now, anyway05:16
danielswhich time I will finish cleaning05:16
Kamionzul: re #1974, I don't get the error messages in syslog any more (nor the status messages, come to that), and it seems to be trying to work, but the card can't associate to my AP05:19
zulthats the wirelesss one correct?05:20
brainZzZit seems to be more deadly05:20
Kamionzul: yeah05:21
KamionbrainZzZ: are you a bot?05:22
brainZzZhey mule... are you a bot?05:23
Kamioncan somebody kick the bot, please?05:23
=== mode/#ubuntu-devel [+o daniels] by ChanServ
=== mode/#ubuntu-devel [+b *!*stirps@*.client.comcast.net] by daniels
=== brainZzZ was kicked off #ubuntu-devel by daniels (daniels)
=== mode/#ubuntu-devel [-o daniels] by daniels
bradbcan anyone give me an example of one named binary package that is built from a different named source packages for different arches? i'm trying to include a non-contrived example of such a case in a document i'm writing.05:26
mdzamu: ping?05:26
mdzamu: are those KDE issues fixed so that the Kubuntu packages can move into main?05:30
=== Amaranth [~travis@amaranth.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== luis_ is now known as lu_the_extermina
mdzpitti: your at changes seem to have worked well; I had an at job queued before the upgrade, which ran after the upgrade with no problems05:37
pittimdz: cool05:38
pittimdz: I extensively tested it at my machine, worked fine for me too05:38
pittimdz: however, I did not check the inter-version at jobs that you did; thanks for testing05:38
mdzpitti: let's leave the rest for hoary+1, though, ok? ;-)05:40
pittimdz: "rest" -> derooting targets?05:41
mdzpitti: yes05:41
pittimdz: ack05:41
pittimdz: there aren't any easy ones left anyway05:41
mdzI agree05:41
pittimdz: btw, what do you think about Sivan's g-cups-manager UI mods? Are they still appropriate for Hoary if I scrutinize the patch?05:42
pittimdz: and given that sivang manages to get it ready before preview freeze?05:42
pittimdz: (adding a checkbox to enable CUPS browsing)05:43
mdzpitti: URL?05:43
pittisivang: ^ which bug was it? you reassigned it to you05:43
pittimdz: #225105:44
=== fwiffo [~jep@cpe.atm2-0-1101155.0x503f8eca.bynxx8.customer.tele.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mdzpitti: it seems too complex to push in at this late hour05:46
pittimdz: it's only UI, the backend part is already in05:46
mdzpitti: if you are confident that it cannot break any existing functionality, and it can be in for array 6...05:46
pittimdz: but okay, your call. sivan can prepare the patch nevertheless for hoary+105:46
mdzwell, I was thinking post-preview actually05:46
pittimdz: ah, even better :-)05:47
mdzsince this is not strictly a feature, but partly a bug05:47
pittimdz: okay, then I can review and test the patch extensively and upload it after preview05:47
mdzpitti: have you and sivang discussed how it should work in the UI?05:47
pittimdz: in any case it is now much easier to get browsing05:47
mdzI suppose if the user requests to enable browsing, it will ask for the sudo password and restart CUPS?05:47
pittimdz: yes, pretty extensively05:47
mdzdoesn't restarting CUPS crash gnome-cups-manager?05:47
pittimdz: if it crashes it, then it's probably nothing for Hoary05:48
pittimdz: it will basically call "gksudo /usr/share/cups/enable_browsing 1"05:48
pittimdz: (or 0, if disabling)05:48
mdzpitti: I have seen it crash several times when I restart cups; it is easy enough to test05:49
pittimdz: hmm, never occurred to me05:49
pittimdz: any special activities in g-c-m to make it crash on cupsys restart?05:50
mdzI can't reproduce it now; maybe it was fixed, or possibly it doesn't happen every time05:50
seb128pitti: double click on a printer05:50
seb128keep the dialog open05:50
seb128it crashes pretty often05:50
rburtonpitti: if you are playing with g-c-m i don't suppose you want to take it over in sid too? :)05:50
pittirburton: is it orphaned?05:51
rburtonpitti: well, not really. but i'm a bad maintainer05:51
rburtoni need to take a day and run through the bugs and patches from upstream and ubunut05:51
seb128this stuff needs some real work05:51
pittiseb128: I can't reproduce the crash (of course, because I want to see it happen...)05:51
seb128I've got it like 5 times it 10 cupsys restart 05:52
seb128just run g-c-m05:52
seb128double click on a printer05:52
=== Arrogance [~aks@CPE0050ba556e4b-CM001225423850.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128restart cupsys05:52
seb128pitti: http://rafb.net/paste/results/2qkAV085.html05:53
pittiseb128: worked in 5/5 cases :-(05:53
seb128lucky you05:53
pittioh, cool backtrace05:54
seb128I can get one with debug stuff05:54
pittiseb128: could you please attach this to a bug?05:54
seb128will do05:54
pittiseb128: I'm currently patching cupsys05:54
seb128rburton: perhaps robtaylor_ wants to maintain g-c-m ? 05:54
rburtonrobtaylor_: you do?05:55
robtaylor_seb128: did i hear my name taken in vain? ;)05:55
rburtonyay rob05:55
seb128libgnomeprint* maintainer05:55
seb128and h's supposed to get some hal work from redhat in the packages 05:55
seb128I've read that somewhere :)05:55
robtaylor_*sigh* ok, let me look at qa before i say yes ;)05:55
seb128rburton: see, you have a winner :)05:56
robtaylor_hmm, what the hell is *that* doing as  RC?05:57
robtaylor_rburton: hmm, i'm a bad maintainer too tho ;)05:57
seb128the current maintainer kind of sucks05:58
=== seb128 hides
rburtonyeah, he is crap05:58
rburtoni'd go as far as pointing out there is a bug with a patch which has been sitting in his inbox for a month05:58
=== robtaylor_ spanks rburton
robtaylor_rburton: well i'm pretty loaded at the moment really (got my new farsight project taking up quite a bit of time) but if i get mo, i'll go though some of the bugs for you ;)06:01
rburtonthat would be great06:01
rburtoni'll try to at some point too06:01
robtaylor_i know the codebase a little, at least ;)06:01
robtaylor_though not enough to help poor sivang... mabye *he* wants to be the new maintainer ;) ;)06:02
thomwhiprush: nice article dude; it's good to see *someone* not whining about the firefox theme :-)06:03
thomelmo: please sync apache from unstable06:06
danielsmdz: test builds on davis and halley whirring now; feel free to inquire (if there are no processes running from me and there are debs in ~daniels/xorg, it worked) into it while I'm asleep if you like06:07
=== lupusBE [~lupus@dD5772F56.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
elmothom: apache 1?06:09
dredgthom: what's wrong with the firefox theme?06:09
thomelmo: yeah06:10
mdzdaniels: thanks06:10
thomdredg: nothing IMO, but people seem to like whining about it06:10
elmothom: we are going to be able to kick that thing out pre-hoary, right?06:11
=== doko [~doko___@dsl-084-059-003-196.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dredgthom: oh, the 'firefox-now-uses-the-gnome-theme' theme?06:12
dredgi like that.06:12
dredgit bugs me when my apps don't look similar06:12
thomdredg: exactly06:12
=== trukulo [~trukulo@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== [morph] [~morph@p83.129.200.183.tisdip.tiscali.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== maskie [~maskie@196-30-108-12.uudial.uunet.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
danielsmdz: smses if ftbfs kicks up would probably work well -- i might be uncontactable until about 0500 UTC (totally unavoidably) tomorrow06:18
robtaylor_rburton, seb128 : talking of cups, does anyone fancy making the cups package put printers.conf in /var/lib? ;)06:20
mdzlamont: please monitor daniels' test builds; if they fail, daniels should be SMSed, and if they succeed, they should be published for testing06:22
danielspublished in p.u.c, preferably06:22
danielsactually, hold on a sec06:22
lamontdaniels: any particular package?06:23
lamontor just everything you upload?06:23
whiprushthom: heh, we've waited like four years for better support from mozilla apps and the first thing people whine about is the home icon in the skin. Heh.06:23
danielslamont: xorg, yo06:24
danielslamont: seems fine on amd64 and i386 locally, but test builds are running around on davis and halley06:24
danielslamont: should they succeed, if you could dput xorg_6.8.2-1_source.changes from rookery:~daniels, it would be much appreciated06:24
Kamionbradb: that's been the case for libgcc1 in Debian in the past, I think, although it doesn't seem to be at the moment06:25
Kamioncan some kernel folks have a look at http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/kernel/tags/kernel/powerpc/2.6.8-10/debian/post-install?op=file&rev=0&sc=0 ?06:26
Kamionit'll need to be hacked a little to take effect only on powerpc06:26
lamontdaniels: are the builds going to a file, or are we keying off the existance of .debs in ~daniels/xorg?06:27
mdzelmo: is something weird going on with python2.3-apt?  for some reason it's at 0.5.32ubuntu6 in the archive, though a python2.3-apt version 0.5.36 was produced by the most recent build06:30
mdzlamont: <daniels> mdz: test builds on davis and halley whirring now; feel free to inquire (if there are no processes running from me and there are debs in ~daniels/xorg, it worked) into it while I'm asleep if you like06:30
elmopython2.3-apt |     0.5.36 | hoary/universe | amd64, i386, ia64, powerpc06:31
elmomdz: ?06:31
lamontmdz: roger06:31
lamontgrumble. davis has 2 dpkg-buildpackage processes running06:32
elmothis is why we give porting boxes two CPUs :P06:32
=== lamont wakes up and realizes that one of those 2 is not daniels's.
lamontelmo: I was trying to tell which was which.  :-)06:33
pittiseb128: where are the translations of the panel main menu?06:36
mdzmizar:[~]  grep-dctrl -FPackage python2.3-apt /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_main_binary-i386_Packages06:37
mdzzsh: exit 1     grep-dctrl -FPackage python2.3-apt06:37
mdzelmo: ^^06:37
elmo < elmo> python2.3-apt |     0.5.36 | hoary/universe | amd64, i386, ia64, powerpc06:37
mdzelmo: the 0.5.32ubuntu6 is 'actually the version I have installed06:37
elmo                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^06:37
=== mdz shoots himself
pittimdz: don't06:37
=== lu_the_extermina [~louie@h001217d2c87d.ne.client2.attbi.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mdzelmo: apparently it hasn't made it to the US mirror, which is where my universe points06:38
elmooh, right, yeah - the mirrors got a bit beat up by the install testing06:39
tsengthe US mirror seemed to fall behind by a good many hours a few times06:39
elmoas in, syncproxy, err, went away.  I'll make it come back tonight06:39
elmoit wasn't meant to be down for this wrong, a kernel local root got in the way06:39
elmos/wrong/long/ blah06:40
dredgthis wrong? very engrish :)06:40
=== T-None is now known as T-Bone
thomelmo: thanks06:44
=== jamin [~jamin@cust-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
elmoargh.  iproute added an 'ss' command.  the bastards.06:45
Kamionwhat were you using ss for?06:46
T-Boneyum :P06:46
T-BoneKamion: i suppose elmo refers to WWII06:46
elmoKamion: 'ss' in MSM Mumps is the equivalent of 'ps aux' and it's like ENTIRELY ingrained into me - I type that command while idling06:46
=== T-Bone was wrong ;)
thomwhat the heck is MSM Mumps?06:47
Kamionwell done for finding an environment I'd never managed to hear of before06:47
elmookay, syncproxy.u.c is back - us.a.u.c will catch up shortly06:48
elmothom: Mumps or 'M' is a obscure weird database environment/language mostly used in financial and medical sectors06:49
thomelmo: ah06:49
=== Kyaneos [~Kyaneos@80-26-152-59.adsl.nuria.telefonica-data.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128elmo: glib2.0 sync from debian incoming please06:53
lamontelmo: neat.  they've reinvented netstat -an06:54
danielsright, goodnight06:55
danielslamont: mobile number's in Offices/DanielStone06:56
lamontdaniels: right06:56
lamontdavis should finish around 06:57
lamont30 min from now, give or take06:57
lamontmodulo the other build06:57
lamonthaley needs about another hour, assuming it's otherwise idle.06:58
=== pitti [~martin@box79162.elkhouse.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mdzlamont: are there enough bits in that directory that we can do an upload without daniels if everything checks out?07:00
=== ogra [~ogra@p508EB47C.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jamin [~jamin@cust-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
danielsmdz: yeah, there's a signed -1_source.changes and -1.d{iff.gz,sc}07:04
danielsmdz: extra testing would be hugely appreciated though, I've only done testing on my setups07:04
lamontmdz: if it works, yes.  If not, well, I'm not sure we'll have error logs07:05
lamontdaniels: I assume that the dpkg-buildpackage output is just going to your terminal?07:05
mdzdaniels: I plan to download and test powerpc and amd6407:06
mdzdaniels: and you're supposed to be asleep07:06
tsengdaniels: you have a .deb I can test?07:07
danielslamont: yeah, albeit screen(1)ed, so if you can, you're more than welcome to hijack my screen session07:09
danielsmdz: note you'll have to build amd64 yourself either from source or on concordia as I was just working off local builds07:09
danielsmdz: and yes, good point07:09
mdzwhich architectures are building?07:10
mdzlamont: can you kick off a build on concordia?07:10
lamonthalley==ia64, davis==powerpc07:10
=== mmb [~marcinb@dve174.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
zulhey again07:11
lamontmdz: launched07:14
lamontconcordia:~lamont/xorg.out is the log07:14
mdzlamont: thanks07:15
mdzan i386 build would be a good idea as well07:15
mdzI assumed the two were either amd64+powerpc or i386+<x>07:15
lamontit'll slow down the amd64 build07:15
lamonti386 build chroot is on concordia as well07:16
lamontgiven that daniels already did local builds of them, I'm inclined to believe them07:16
lamontsince the buildd's are going to rebuild it from scratch anyway07:16
lamontback in a few07:18
=== mpt_newjersey [~mpt@dynamic-oit-fuzzynet-b-7.Princeton.EDU] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ups [~ups@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
srbakeranyone know of a half-decent gui for mysql?07:31
=== T-Bone ducks :)
=== jamin [~jamin@cust-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
srbakeri can't seem to get phpmyadmin to work on my laptop running hoary07:31
srbakeralthough, i ahvent' tried that hard07:31
thomsrbaker: that's a security feature :P07:32
srbakerthom, hehe07:32
thominfinity: why are you awake you loony? :-)07:32
=== mmb [~marcinb@dve174.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Leaving"]
infinitythom : Because everything I'm currently stressing about involves people in other timezones. ;)07:35
infinitySome day, I'll sleep at night again, and my girlfriend will stop hating me.07:36
=== mvo mvo|away
=== dredg [niall@malkovich.office.blacknight.ie] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Goshawk [~Goshawk@host213-98.pool8253.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Treenaksinfinity: well, sometimes it's better than having a gf who won't LET you sleep at night, even if you want to07:47
=== dredg [niall@malkovich.office.blacknight.ie] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dredg [niall@malkovich.office.blacknight.ie] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamontmdz: it built on ppc and amd64, given that daniels built it on i386, any objection if I upload now?07:56
=== lamont needs to run away for about 20 minutes, by which time ia64 should be done building, too.
mdzlamont: I had planned to actually test it on amd64 and powerpc07:59
mdzlamont: if you can tell me where to start downloading it, I will07:59
=== fgx [~fgubuntu@host18-237.pool8254.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamontmdz: ah07:59
lamontpeople.ubuntu.com/~lamont/xorg has a Packages file08:01
mdzwow, does that work? (multiple architectures in one Packages file)08:02
infinityHas since woody or so.08:02
elmoit's always worked08:03
elmoexperimental use to be that way08:03
=== Gagatan_ [bgrotan@cassarossa.samfundet.no] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Mithrand1r [~tfheen@vawad.err.no] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jamin [~jamin@cust-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
infinityAhh, then it's the tools to generate things that changed to make it possible, not the tools that parse them. :)08:03
=== HcE_ [egtvedt@tux.samfundet.no] has joined #ubuntu-devel
infinityAt least, I think something changed.  Or maybe I'm just on crack.  Potato seems so long ago now.08:04
lamontmdz: i386 build running, will holler when it's done08:06
mdzdownloading amd64 and powerpc08:06
mdzneed to run out, back in a couple of hours08:06
lamontinfinity: potato _was_ that long ago.08:08
lamontwhat, 6 years or something? :-)08:08
=== lamont leaves for a bit
=== dredg [niall@malkovich.office.blacknight.ie] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sivanganybody noticed all the gnome menus are duplicated?08:14
sivangthis is in effect since about two last upgrades.08:15
zulsivang: i didnt do it08:20
=== dredg [niall@malkovich.office.blacknight.ie] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== BlackHussar [~chatzilla@corp.stamps.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== thom just *boggles* at the concept of a dual ultrasparc laptop
=== jamin [~jamin@cust-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittisivang: iz gtk bug :-)08:24
pittisivang: no, really, doesn't happen for me08:24
elmothom: I think a two CPU laptop's pretty whack, but maybe that's just me08:24
sivangpitti: heheh :)08:25
pittisivang: any luck with gcm?08:25
Treenaksthom: that must have HURT to design08:25
sivangpitti: ok, I rebooted and it got back to normal, weird.08:25
pittisivang: you have only very little time for this08:25
thomelmo: indeed08:25
sivangpitti: bah, until when?08:25
thoma dual ultrasparc seems even more whacky than that08:25
pittisivang: preview freeze08:26
pittisivang: although maybe we skip that feature in the preview and add it after the preview08:26
sivangpitti: I though it's on 2nd of march no?08:26
pittisivang: but it should be ready nevertheless so we can test it08:26
pittisivang: right, that's wed08:26
sivangpitti: ok, that gives about the next 48 hours to work on it approx. 08:27
pittisivang: AFAIUI the single major blocker is the weird behaviour if you modify the glade file?08:27
sivangpitti: yup, other stuff should actually work, I am with some upstream people on this, still trying.08:28
sivangpitti: I mean, I do a glib sync spawn, wait for the return values etc08:28
sivangpitti: but as long as the whole menu screws when I add some stuff to it using the glade designer, I'm lost.08:28
tritiummjg59, If I choose "Suspend the computer" from the logout menu, it doesn't require 2 pushes of the power button to resume (which Fn-Esc still does).08:29
pittisivang: what about adding the checkbox not to the menu, but into a toolbar?08:29
pittisivang: this would be more obious anyway08:30
sivangpitti: where does g-c-m have a toolbar?08:30
sivangpitti: AFAIK there's only a menubar08:30
pittisivang: it doesn't so far :-)08:30
sivangpitti: oh :)08:31
pittisivang: add it :-)08:31
pittisivang: although, if adding to the menu is easy and nonintrusive, then do that 08:31
pittisivang: but if you add a toolbar, then we can test the other functionality already08:32
sivangpitti: right, seb also told me that the gui gets fiddled in runtime by the g-c-m code :-/08:32
pittimdz: was there any reason why you wanted a review of "boost"?08:32
pittimdz: amu just noticed that it is unnecessary for the kubuntu stuff08:32
sivangpitti: which might mean the patch need be *intrusive* if it's to be nicely put with the other menu items etc.08:33
pittisivang: a toolbar is certainly more independent and less prone to interference with the runtime modification08:33
elmopitti: if it was in that list, germinate wants to pull it in 08:33
pittielmo: but amu did not find any build-dependencies or binary dependencies08:34
pittielmo: how can we find out which package wants it?08:34
sivangpitti: ok, I'll see about using a toolbar now08:34
pittielmo: it's not in http://people.ubuntu.com/~cjwatson/germinate-output/kubuntu-hoary/rdepends/08:34
elmopitti: okay, it's not there any more08:34
pittioh, brb08:35
=== jamin [~jamin@cust-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ttf_ [~tom@p3EE35A89.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Kyaneos [~Kyaneos@80-29-55-209.adsl.nuria.telefonica-data.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mpt_newjersey [~mpt@dynamic-oit-fuzzynet-b-7.Princeton.EDU] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== jamin [~jamin@cust-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
truluxoh no09:13
trulux1148 upgraded, 147 newly installed, 27 to remove and 2 not upgraded.09:13
truluxNeed to get 794MB of archives.09:13
truluxAfter unpacking 217MB of additional disk space will be used.09:13
truluxDo you want to continue? [Y/n] 09:13
truluxwhat's this? :O09:13
truluxgoing to upgrade to Hoary09:13
truluxany major bug around to make feeling like a rat and not doing it?09:13
T-Bonethis is Moore's law applied to dist upgrades ;)09:14
=== T-Bone ducks
=== T-Bone [varenet@freebz.slashdirt.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
truluxT-Bone: not kidding, I haven't used Hoary as desktop, only for development ;P09:18
T-Boneheh. Well then, you know how Hoary looks like :)09:19
sivangT-Bone: what is moore's law about? :)09:20
T-Bonesivang: google, "Moore's law" -> I'm feeling lucky ;)09:21
sivangT-Bone: eh I think I learned about this in deisgn and architecture of digital system, didn't recall the name though :)09:24
T-Bonein my suggestion i was suggesting that distributions tend to follow the same growth pattern accross upgrades ;)09:26
T-Bone(doh that sentence was awkward)09:26
sivangT-Bone: so you probably know Amdhal's law? (this one I remember ;-)09:26
T-Bonethat's an SMP thing iirc?09:28
=== T-Bone googles
sivangT-Bone: am not sure, could be 09:29
=== sivang --> food
=== sivang is now known as sivang|food
=== sivang|food is now known as sivang
=== jamin [~jamin@cust-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jbaileyAnyone here have a SCSI cdrom?  I'm curious how consistant /proc/scsi/scsi is for using in hotplug.09:41
=== T-Bone raises a hand
jbaileyT-Bone: Can you /msg me your /proc/scsi/scsi file, stp?09:42
dholbachMithrand1r: could you please (if you find the time) upload a new version (or even sync) mozilla-thunderbird-locale-de?09:45
dholbachMithrand1r: it still crashes with the german language09:45
dholbachwb mvo 09:45
zulhey mvo09:45
mvohey dholbach, hey zul 09:45
=== Kyaneos [~Kyaneos@80-29-55-209.adsl.nuria.telefonica-data.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kyaneoshi sorry09:48
=== jamin [~jamin@cust-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamontelmo: current xorg build-deps in concordia/hoary-i386 chroot, please09:58
=== tritium [~tritium@ee213-dhcp-4.ecn.purdue.edu] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Leaving"]
=== _mvo_ [~egon@ip181.135.1511I-CUD12K-01.ish.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== eruin [~eruin@eruin.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lupusBE [~lupus@dD5772F56.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== srbaker [~srbaker@blk-137-73-116.eastlink.ca] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Leaving"]
=== lu_the_extermina is now known as lu|away
=== Goshawk [~Goshawk@host213-98.pool8253.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lamont bbiab
=== kent [~kent@c83-249-58-240.bredband.comhem.se] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Amaranth [~travis@amaranth.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jamin [~jamin@cust-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zul [~chuck@CPE0006258ec6c2-CM000a73655d0e.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
thom<@kmaraas> Tybstar, new vte tarball is at http://www.gnome.org/~kmaraas/testing/vte-0.11.12.tar.gz11:15
thomseb128: get to it!11:15
seb128thom: I'm pondering uploading in hoary in fact :)11:16
seb128I think I'll11:16
lu|awayyou should, unless it looks spectacularly broken somehow11:16
Amaranththom: Is that to fix the gnome-terminal redraw problem?11:16
=== jamin [~jamin@cust-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128bah, even11:16
seb128vte is not used11:16
seb128all the devels have runned away for performance/issues with screen/... reasons11:17
seb128let's get it back :)11:17
=== lu|away still uses it
=== lu|away still believes in dogfood
seb128me too11:17
lu|awayeven if in this case dogfood mostly means 'letting the dog bite your balls repeatedly'11:17
seb128but lot of people complain about it11:17
thomi still find it mostly usable, and screen only breaks once a month or so11:18
Amaranthseb128: Is that supposed to fix bug 122150?11:18
seb128I don't use screen and I don't care about it beeing slow :)11:18
pittiseb128: screen rocks11:18
seb128Amaranth: is #122150? closed ?11:19
seb128pitti: yeah, if you use a ssh connection on a box, I work on my box, no need of it11:19
seb128Amaranth: read the comments11:19
pittiseb128: I use it for long running processes, so I can restart my gnome session in the meantime11:20
HrdwrBoBscreen is very widely used11:20
seb128I don't restart my session a lot11:20
seb128if I restart it that's to reboot11:20
=== srbaker [~srbaker@blk-137-73-116.eastlink.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128and screen doesn't handle reboot :)11:21
HrdwrBoBit does if it's remote :p11:21
seb128<seb128> pitti: yeah, if you use a ssh connection on a box, I work on my box, no need of it11:21
thomseb128: my irssi session is running in a 180x60 gnome-terminal btw ;-)11:22
sivangseb128: do you know anything about g-c-m ?11:28
dredgenrico: ping?11:28
sivangseb128: I mean, inner code wise? ;-)11:28
seb128sivang: that's to manage printers ?11:29
seb128written in C/GTK ?11:29
sivangseb128: sort of, there also bits of bonobo there11:29
seb128that doesn't excluse C/GTK :)11:30
sivangseb128: I am trying to find where the code munges the glade interface, and where it handles some menubar tweaks. It's like no where. and right, that doesn't exclude C/GTK (it's in C) ;-)11:32
seb128what menu entry ?11:32
sivangseb128: yepper ;-/11:32
enricodredg: pong11:32
dredgenrico: hi. you maintain libbuffy, yes?11:33
enricodredg: yes11:33
dredgenrico: ok, i've made some changes to the source package for the universe python transition to 2.4. would you mind looking over it?11:33
enricosure: I'd love to!11:33
dredgenrico: ok, http://niall.frogstomp.com/wip/libbuffy/11:34
dredgi _think_ it's ok, but i'd prefer if you cast your eye over it11:34
sivangseb128: when I am done with the menu entry and see it integrates nicely, I can continue with the rest of the work. (we should not have any apparent blockages)11:35
enricodredg: bbiab11:35
dredgenrico: no worries.11:35
=== bradb [~bradb@modemcable206.155-81-70.mc.videotron.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128sivang: "yepper" is the name of the menu entry ?11:39
seb128sivang: waiting for a reply :p11:39
sivangseb128: no :)11:39
sivangseb128: oh sorry dude,11:40
sivangseb128: yeppr == yes.11:40
sivangseb128: (at least for me, I11:40
sivangseb128: probably should look out when I use such terms)11:40
seb128<seb128> what menu entry ?11:40
sivangseb128: I want to _add_ one11:40
seb128<sivang> seb128: I am trying to find where the code munges the glade interface, and where it handles some menubar tweaks. 11:41
sivangseb128: eh11:41
seb128describe a "menubar tweak"11:41
seb128and find it in the code11:41
seb128should be easy11:41
=== T-Bone is now known as T-None
sivangseb128: ok, for the "Edit" one, if you open the glade file it shows there is no properties, when you run g-c-m, you see "Properties" under the "Edit" dropdown11:43
mdzhah, searching google for "array 4" gives you an ebay sponsored ad11:43
thomoh, holy moley11:45
sivangmdz: did you see mad penguin's logo tweak?11:45
thomi wish people would stop opening "make firefox work in gnome properly" bugs11:45
sivangthom: I thought it worked properly :)11:46
thomsivang: mime type handling and a bunch of other stuff11:46
thomthere are some big differences still11:47
thomsession management is the major suck11:47
sivangmime type handling is somewhat weird , yeah11:48
sivangor, "misbehaving" ;-)11:48
enricodredg: back11:48
=== jamin [~jamin@cust-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128sivang: properties is in the glade file here11:50
sivangseb128: open the printer_window11:51
sivangseb128: (in the designer) then check out what's under "Edit". then open g-c-m from your install, and see "Properties" under "Edit"11:52
seb128both avec the properties11:53
enricodredg: it seems perfectly ok to me!11:53
dredgenrico: excellent :)11:53
enricodredg: have you tested if it works?11:53
dredgenrico: briefly11:53
sivangseb128: hmmm11:53
enricodredg: (btw, we're about to release a new version of it: just minor fixes, and buffy builds using the library)11:54
sivangseb128: where is the glade file you've opened?11:54
dredgenrico: nice11:54
sivangseb128: is it under gnome-cups-manager-0.28/gnome-cups-manager ?11:54
sivangseb128: hrm, I wonder what's wrong with my glade file. 11:55
seb128it has 5 entries11:55
dredgenrico: so you're ok for someone to upload this to universe?11:57
mdzlamont: the upgrade went smoothly on amd64 and powerpc using the builds you/daniel provided11:57
dholbachgood night11:57
mdzlamont: the only issue is that a set -x seems to have been left in a .config11:57
enricodredg: sure!  Please go on!11:58
enricodredg: I'm actually honored11:58
=== mvo__ [~egon@ip181.135.1511I-CUD12K-01.ish.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sivangseb128: when I open the "Edit" dropdown from the printer_window in glade-2, I don't have "Properties". only when running g-c-m installed on my system i get to see it there. (that open a property window per printer)11:58
enricomdz: did you have a look at the docteam packages?11:58
mdzlamont: looks like xserver-xorg.config11:58
dredgenrico: great, thanks for your time11:58
seb128sivang: do you use glade-gnome-2 ?11:58
mdzenrico: no, I have not11:58
seb128sivang: the package has a gnome version11:58
=== mroth [~mroth@mroth.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
enricomdz: ok. Me and Sean did some more fixing today, and it seems there are yelp issues.  Sean'll look more into it tomorrow11:59
mdzenrico: are you waiting for something before you upload them?11:59
enricomdz: and we do need help with writing good OMF files, as none of us has experience with them11:59
mdzenrico: thom knows about that11:59
sivangseb128: Merd! was there anything that would have implied to my non smart self about it? ;-)12:00
enricomdz: I've never uploaded a package into Ubuntu before, so I was waiting for a bit more peer review before uploading12:00
thomi knew hacking doc-base would come back to bite me12:00
sivangthom: run!12:00

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!