zenwhenMe and my pathetic dialup connection have caught you developers again.12:03
jdubseb128: arh!12:09
seb128hey jdub 12:09
tritiumHello jdub12:09
ograhi jdub12:09
dholbachhi jdub 12:09
Riddell"dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file debian/quanta.doc-base" how do I tell it not to ignore it?12:10
jdubgooood morning everybody :)12:10
tsenghi jdub 12:14
jdubvery hot for 10:00 :|12:14
ograjdub: come over, we have -5 here12:14
jdubany snow?12:15
ograjust melting but still a lot12:15
thullyI have a question - does info on using the itunes music store on Linux belong in RestrictedFormats?12:15
=== niran [~niran@lucianus.Stanford.EDU] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jdubthully: sure12:16
jljthully: regarding your email, which gstreamer packages where you referring to which are not in default ubuntu install?12:18
ograjlj: lame12:18
tritiumjdub, I read a paper last night with an acknowledgement to "J. Waugh for his support of...computational requirements."   Could that be you?12:19
jdubtritium: did i lend someone a computer? ;)12:20
tritiumjdub, dunno :) page 12: http://mip-lab4.ecn.purdue.edu/~rimbert/tobit-mle.pdf12:20
jdubprobably not ;)12:21
tritiumquite a coincidence, either way12:21
=== rjo [~jordens@rjo.developer.debian] has joined #ubuntu-devel
thullyyes -lame - that would go in multiverse12:26
jdubseb128: woo, gst-ffmpeg ;)12:26
thullyhere's instructions on how to build this:12:27
seb128he he12:27
Mithrandirhooray, my hoary box with capi/DSL stuff now works.12:32
MithrandirI think we should move dhcp-server later in the boot sequence, since you might want to run the dhcp server on hotplugged interfaces.12:33
tsengthully: hey dude, no need to crosspost that stuff. i gave you specific instructions to do in #-motu12:33
jljthully: the ubuntu PyMusique packages don't need lame12:33
zultritium: it could be a long distant relative of jdub stranger things have happened12:35
jdubhey jlj12:36
thullytseng: sorry - I saw some people talking in here about LAME - I justnoticed what yousaid in motu now12:36
jdubzul: so there's an african-american university football player called "jeff waugh" too12:36
jljhi jdub 12:36
jdubzul: now *that's* weird ;)12:36
tsengjdub: he's your spitting image, believe it or not12:36
thullyjlj: I know they don't need lame12:36
zuljdub: heh12:36
jdubzul: see google images ;)12:37
zulthe the waugh conspiracy12:37
thullygstreamer0.8-lame is for soung juicer 12:37
tsengyes i understand you issue completely12:37
tsengyou dont seem to understand mine12:37
zulwhoa scarey looks like he is hepped up on somethig12:37
jljthully: then which packages were you referring to in your email by "The Ubuntu packages on the website needed some gstreamer packages, not included in a standard Ubuntu install, which these packages don't have as depends."12:37
ograthully: we discussed it in -motu with you and gave you instruction what to do, why do you start the discussion over again ?12:38
thullyBTW, what do you have to install exactly for the PyMusique packages - I had trouble and just ended up installing all gstreamer plugins and everything .12:38
tsengthe howto he posted has little to do with real debian/ubuntu development, sadly12:38
=== shaya [~spotter@user-0ccembr.cable.mindspring.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
thullysorry - I missed whatyoumentioned about LAME over there and saw somebody talking about it here12:39
tsengabout you building your own packages from source..12:39
tsengunless you are working on a package from ubuntu, thats off topic for here12:39
tsengread the deps in INSTALL or README12:40
thullyOK - This should be discussed in MOTU - but someone else started discussing it in here and in all the discussion I missed what was said in motu12:41
MithrandirKamion: please prod me when you're around next time, I have a bunch of issues which you may or may not be aware of.12:41
tsengat this point the discussion is over. post the source packages on MOTUTodo. thanks12:41
=== critter [~critterd1@12-202-123-85.client.insightBB.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== critter [~critterd1@12-202-123-85.client.insightBB.com] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Leaving"]
zulthats cool my usb crappy camera just works12:47
tritiumzul, heh :)12:47
=== metallikop is now known as kop|gone
ograzul: bah, get a new one12:47
ograhow boring12:48
zulgot no money12:48
zenwhenevery camera i have plugged into my computer running ubuntu has just worked12:48
zenwhenits pretty awesome12:48
zenwheneven horrible awful cheap ones12:48
robtaylorjdub: so whats happeing with esd/polypaudio now? is polyp in or out?12:48
robtaylorok, just wondering as esd still runs polyp on my hoary box :/12:49
ograyup, thats a packaging prob12:50
robtaylorrighty :)12:50
ograwill get covered in the upgrade notes i guess12:51
jdubrobtaylor: install esound12:52
robtaylorjdub: installed, thanks :)12:52
zuljdub: http://zulinux.homelinux.net/pics12:52
zenwhenso its ok to remove all the polyp stuff?12:52
robtaylorjdub: just working on the esdsink atm, hence the question :)12:52
jdubzenwhen: yes12:53
ograzul: http://www.susus.de/dschunke/zweinasen.jpg12:54
zenwhenoh wow12:55
zulogra: cool12:55
zenwhenmy desktop sounds are back12:55
ograzul: we just got that guy since three weeks http://www.susus.de/dschunke/katerpilderken/12:55
seb128time to sleep12:56
ograzul: and to compete with jdubs tiger, thats my beloved fred: http://www.susus.de/dschunke/allerlei/herrf.jpg12:57
zulogra: guinea pigs are cooler though :)12:57
ograyou dont need to walk them, ut they tend to get fat ;)12:58
ograbut even12:58
zulours can run from the basement of the house to the cage..but anyways12:58
=== ogra thinks he should donate a keyboard to the cage outfit
zulmust go watch curling01:02
=== GheRivero [~ghe@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== srbaker [~srbaker@blk-222-52-156.eastlink.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== kop|gone is now known as metallikop
=== BlackHussar [~BlackHuss@dsl081-081-225.lax1.dsl.speakeasy.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== OddAbe19 [~OddAbe19@pcp02542642pcs.lncstr01.pa.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ograbob2: ping01:21
ograhey, i was at the docteam meeting yesterday...01:23
ograthey have adopted the ubuntuguide for hoary :/01:24
jdubogra: just committed your hackergotchi, will have to wait for elmo to sync tho.01:24
jdubogra: that's bad?01:24
bob2it has some dodgy stuff in it01:24
ograbon2 since you are one of the most active supporters i suggested you probably should review the docs too if you like01:25
ajmitchjdub: I've made a hackergotchi for myself, now I just need to write a decent blog :)01:25
ograjdub: thanks01:25
tsengjdub: my blog is ready for you too, if you are into planet admin01:25
tsengjdub: tseng.ath.cx/log01:25
ograjdub: this guide needs a heavy review, and i wouldnt recommend it to anyone unexperienced01:25
=== jlj [~agp@host-81-191-64-79.bluecom.no] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ograjdub: but its a nice piece for advanced users once the errors are fixed01:26
ogra(i.e. it tells you to add a link in /dev to get your palm working etc...)01:27
dholbachjdub's round robin algorithm (concerning talking) seems to have gone haywire 01:29
dholbachtoo many people :)01:29
jdubtseng: already added, but not yet synced01:31
tsengah, thanks01:31
tsengi just added the hackergotchi01:31
jduboh, url?01:31
jdubok, that'll be in the next sync too01:33
=== zentop [~zenwhen@host-216-78-81-92.bgk.bellsouth.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== marcin__ [~marcin@www.e-dev.tele2.pl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dholbachgood night everyone01:44
tsengbye dholbach 01:44
dholbachbye tseng01:44
=== _zenwhen [~zenwhen@host-216-78-81-92.bgk.bellsouth.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jdub$ apt-cache rdepends gtk-smooth-themes01:47
jdubReverse Depends:01:47
jdub  winetools01:47
jdub^ wtf?01:47
ograjdub: huh ?01:53
ograjdub: winetools is not even in01:53
jdubfrom scott's repo01:53
ograso will we see it in main for hoary ? mark seems to want it...01:54
jdubnot main01:54
ograbut universe ?01:54
tritiumogra, I just tried winetools tonight.  It appears to be failing, perhaps due to this: http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/17/1318212&tid=125&tid=109&tid=10601:55
tritiumI'll try to confirm that is in fact the real cause.01:57
tritiumogra, sorry, that must not have been the cause.  It's able to get downloads after all.  My bad.02:00
ogratritium: ok02:00
tritiumogra, jdub sorry for the false-alarm 02:00
=== ogra will try to get some windows software to test the stuff himself
ograjdub: btw, has your cat a name, its cute02:02
=== ace2001ac [~acharles@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ogra(even if the nose looks rather doggy)02:03
=== tritium [~rimbert@12-202-90-180.client.insightBB.com] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Leaving"]
ogranight all02:19
tsengbye ogra 02:21
=== zentop [~zenwhen@host-216-78-81-92.bgk.bellsouth.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== metallikop is now known as kop|gone
=== kop|gone is now known as metallikop
Amaranthdoes anyone here know if gimpnet got hit by a botnet earlier today?02:42
=== ace2001ac [~acharles@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== marcin_ant [~marcin@www.e-dev.tele2.pl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== thully [~thully@144.sub-166-155-168.myvzw.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
zulim so going to go see that movie03:56
=== Amaranth [~travis@amaranth.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mdzzul: what movie?04:13
zulmdz: hitchhikers guide to the galaxy04:14
=== JanC [~JanC@dD5762058.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
zenroxzul thats an awsome movie (i have the radio programs 04:17
robertjmdz: hoary's connect to server problems turned out to be a Gnome problem04:20
=== Sym [~zero@dialup-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== JStrike [~joel@c2-482-1.eno.dial.mweb.co.za] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== tritium [~rimbert@12-202-90-180.client.insightBB.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Xof [~mas01cr@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tritium [~rimbert@12-202-90-180.client.insightBB.com] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Leaving"]
=== jbailey [~jbailey@CPE000ded9d787c-CM014260028338.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== BlackHussar [~BlackHuss@dsl081-081-225.lax1.dsl.speakeasy.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zenrox [~zenrox@wbar7.sea-4-12-028-223.dsl-verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zenrox [~zenrox@wbar7.sea-4-12-028-223.dsl-verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zenrox_ [~zenrox@wbar7.sea-4-12-028-223.dsl-verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Burgundavia [~Burgundav@S0106000000cc07fc.gv.shawcable.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mvo [~egon@ip181.135.1511I-CUD12K-01.ish.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbionehey dilinger 06:43
zenroxnew drivers from nvidia rock06:43
zenroxmy x loads faster06:43
=== froud-away is now known as froud
mvomorning fabbione 06:50
fabbionehey Mvo :)06:56
=== OddAbe19 is away: Gone... Like the French in a battle.
=== stub [~stub@dsl-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== HiddenWolf [~hidden@136.34.dynamic.phpg.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mroth [~mroth@mroth.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== metallikop is now known as kop|gone
froudmvo: morning07:41
froudmvo: my repos access for update-manager is now working. ;-)07:42
froudmvo: do you have a repos for synaptic or should I just use https://oops.kerneljanitors.org/repos/synaptic/trunk/help/C/07:43
froudmvo: where is the repos for kynaptic (kubuntu)?07:44
=== gabaug [~gabe@216-43-99-149.dsl.mcleodusa.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mvofroud: morning07:47
mvofroud: for synaptic, use the oops repo07:47
mvokynaptic is https://oops.kerneljanitors.org/repos/synaptic/branches/kynaptic07:48
mvofroud: I'm not sure if it is worth documenting kynaptic yet, IMO it's not quite there yet07:49
=== HiddenWolf [~hidden@136.34.dynamic.phpg.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
froudmvo: ok thanks07:52
froudmvo: can you mail me a list of what you see wrong in synaptic manual?07:53
froudwould save me time in updating it07:53
mvofroud: I need to have a look again, but the low hanging fruits are the missing "supported icon" (see Help/Icon Legend) and something about authentication (what it is, what the warnings mean)07:58
froudmvo: ok08:00
=== pitti [~martin@box79162.elkhouse.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dholbach [~daniel@td9091b9c.pool.terralink.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dilingerah, just the person i was looking for08:02
dholbachah ok08:02
pittiHi dholbach 08:02
dholbachhi pitti08:02
dilingerpitti: good morning08:02
dholbachhi dilinger 08:02
dholbachgood moooooooorning08:02
dilingerdholbach: hello08:02
dilingerpitti: what's the url for that CAN page you have?08:02
dholbachpitti: have the burnt DVDs08:02
mvohi dholbach 08:02
dholbachpitti: will take them to the post office later08:03
dholbachhellas mvo08:03
mvomorning pitti 08:03
=== rubenv [~lambda1@kotnet-148.kulnet.kuleuven.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittidilinger: http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/ubuntu-cve.html08:04
fabbionehey pitti08:05
fabbionepitti: i am still waiting a mail from you about all the stuff for the kernel08:06
fabbionespecially CAN-2005-0204...08:07
fabbionei must change my signature file one day....08:07
fabbione"if CAN were dildos, i would be goatse..."08:07
=== HWolf [~hidden@136.228.dynamic.phpg.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbione"if CAN were dildos, i would at least get some sex...."08:10
fabbioneor on these lines :)08:10
dholbachfabbione: you're soooooooo funny :-)08:10
=== fabbione has to keep himself quite in here to look "professional"
dholbachyou do... no doubt about that08:11
=== jk [~jochem@jkossen.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== niran [~niran@lucianus.Stanford.EDU] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== froud is now known as froud-away
pittiamu: ping08:36
amupitti: pong08:44
fabbioneamu: RUN RUN RUN!08:44
fabbionehe will hunt you down!08:44
amufabbione: nono pitti is a nice guy he'll never do something bad :P08:45
fabbioneyeah right!08:45
pittifabbione: oh, just ppc issues this time, no security :-)08:46
amubtw. g'morning 08:47
=== d3vic3 [~d3vic3@dumbledore.hbd.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dholbachgood morning, d3vic3!08:48
d3vic3morning 08:50
=== martink [~martin@pD9EB3D45.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sto [~sto@sto.developer.debian] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== rjo [~jordens@rjo.developer.debian] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== enrico [~enrico@enrico.developer.debian] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Alessio [~Alessio@host113-4.pool8251.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== egli [~egli@gate.wyona.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== koke [~koke@rm-001-26.serve.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dholbach [~daniel@td9091d57.pool.terralink.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittidaniels: hey09:56
pittidaniels: do you still have this UseFWPLL patched  radeon driver for X.org 6.8.2?09:56
mvopitti: daniels is on vacation I think09:59
=== mirak [~mirak@AAubervilliers-152-1-38-248.w83-114.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
danielsjust took today as a non-work day as it's a public holiday here10:00
danielsdid lots of shopping10:00
danielsbasically bought a kitchen10:00
danielsi took the fwpll stuff out, we have a better solution in now10:01
danielsit should just work out of the box in all situations in hoary10:01
pittidaniels: it doesn't10:01
danielsah cool :)10:01
danielscould you please email xorg@lists.fd.o with your Xorg.0.log, xorg.conf, and a full description of the problem?10:01
pittidaniels: maybe no patch is required any more, maybe there is a magical option ppc users need to turn on in xorg.conf10:01
danielsoh, right10:02
danielshold on a sec, there was one10:02
danielstry Option "LVDSProbePLL"10:02
amuin the device-section i guess? 10:03
pittidaniels: does not work for me10:06
danielsok, email xorg@lists.freedesktop.org10:07
pittiI do10:07
danielsand say that you're using the latest Ubuntu packages, which has the last patch benh gave me (about two weeks ago or something), and that you tried with and without LVDSProbePLL10:07
amupitti: just found http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2004-December/005259.html10:07
amudaniels: could that work? ^^10:09
danielsamu: shouldn't make any difference, really10:12
=== smurfix [~smurf@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== doko__ [~doko___@dsl-084-059-052-092.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Simira [~simira@56.80-202-210.nextgentel.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lupusBE [~lupus@dD577290B.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
amudaniels: but i need also your special patched driver version?, or it works out of the box with last xorg packages? 10:21
=== dredg [niall@malkovich.office.blacknight.ie] has joined #ubuntu-devel
danielsamu: hoary packages are file10:22
danielsfine, even10:22
amudaniels: ok, thx10:22
=== lupusBE [~lupus@dD577290B.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti_ [~martin@box79162.elkhouse.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Crushed_Cigar [~zinc@adsl-68-126-42-185.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== seb128 [~seb128@ANancy-151-1-45-140.w83-196.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pitti_Moin seb128 10:52
=== Cym [~zero@dialup-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Safari_Al [~tr@ppp248-98.lns2.adl2.internode.on.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jlj [~agp@host-81-191-64-79.bluecom.no] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== koke [~koke@rm-001-26.serve.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dholbachhi seb128 11:07
=== carlos [~carlos@69.Red-80-33-181.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== msturm [~msturm@t-20-214.athome.tue.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Seveas [dennis@seveas.demon.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== froud-away [~froud@ndn-165-131-237.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== carlos [~carlos@69.Red-80-33-181.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== stuNNed_ [~stuNNed@adsl-068-209-149-165.sip.msy.bellsouth.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== froud-away [~froud@ndn-165-131-237.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Nafallo [~nafallo@h2n3c1o1027.bredband.skanova.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ph [~ph@p3E9E0C26.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti [~martin@box79162.elkhouse.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
MithrandirKamion: I have a few gripes about the preview installer -- not sure if those are fixed later.11:48
MithrandirKamion: first, when selecting "norwegian (bokmal)" as my language, the keyboard chooser suggests I have a Macedonian keyboard.11:48
Mithrandirit also seems like the fact that I chose norwegian wasn't properly propagated, as it installed language-pack-en and generated a lot of en_* locales.11:49
Nafallofor swedish it generated ar, de, en, es and what else is there ;-).11:50
MithrandirKamion: it also sets no_NO, not nb_NO.  no_NO is deprecated and should go away; nb_NO is the way forward.11:50
Mithrandiralso, language-pack doesn't respect user changes.  I removed all the en_* but en_US, but they were readded.11:50
Simirawhen is the last chance of adding translations to hoary?11:52
=== froud-away [~froud@ndn-165-131-237.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
SimiraKamion: and where can I get the .po-files for Ubuntu installer?11:52
=== froud-away [~froud@ndn-165-131-237.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== froud-away is now known as froud-work
KamionSimira: http://people.ubuntu.com/~cjwatson/installer-po/12:04
=== pitti [~martin@box79162.elkhouse.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
KamionMithrandir: the keyboard chooser defaults are set by console-data, I think12:04
KamionMithrandir: language-pack-en is deliberately installed, by request of mdz; see #710312:05
KamionMithrandir: no_NO> erm, ok, localechooser bug I guess ...12:05
MithrandirKamion: still, l-p-e shouldn't override my changes to locale.gen12:05
KamionMithrandir: sure, blame pitti :)12:06
Mithrandirpitti: blame you! :)12:06
pittiMithrandir: what does it override?12:06
Mithrandirpitti: I removed en_* (except for en_US) from /etc/locale.gen12:06
pittiMithrandir: the postinst should add all the en_* locales, but not remove yours12:06
Kamionpitti: if you remove en_WHATEVER from /etc/locale.gen, it adds them back in on upgrade, apparently12:06
Mithrandirthey were readded.12:06
pittioh, yes12:06
MithrandirI'm sorry, but I _really_ don't care about en_HK and similar.12:06
pittiMithrandir: maybe this shouldn't be done on upgrades then?12:06
Mithrandiron a box which has a single user (me)12:07
Kamionthom,elmo: around? need somebody with root on little semi-urgently12:07
fabbionei still blame gtk :-)12:07
Mithrandirpitti: I'd be incluned to agree.12:07
Mithrandirinclined, even12:07
pittiKamion: ^ you too?12:07
fabbioneKamion: do you need an exploit to gain root on little? ;)12:07
Kamionthom,elmo: rm -rf /srv/cdimage.no-name-yet.com/scratch/ubuntu/tmp/hoary-{amd64,i386}/CD1/{bin,disctree,programs} please12:07
SimiraKamion: thanks12:07
Kamionpitti: yeah12:07
pittiMithrandir: however, this has to wait a bit until I upload new base packages12:07
Mithrandirpitti: sure.12:08
=== fabbione -> food
Mithrandirpitti: it's just annoying to sit around and wait for ten locales to be generated on a pii-30012:08
=== pitti curses at getpwnam()
=== froud-work [~froud@ndn-165-131-237.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== froud-work [~froud@ndn-165-131-237.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
thomKamion: one sec12:15
thomKamion: done12:17
thomKamion: good to see you on saturday; safe trip home?12:20
danielsKamion: oh, you were in Canadia too/12:21
Kamionthom: yep, got home a bit later than intended (stupidly slow train) but otherwise fine12:21
Kamiondaniels: mm?12:21
thomKamion: oh, you wound up on the stopper of destiny? :/12:21
danielsKamion: cool12:21
Kamiondaniels: no, I wasn't12:22
danielsKamion: oh, nevermind12:22
Kamionthom: two hours rather than three, which it can be at worst, but still ...12:22
danielsKamion: yow, that's rather horrid12:22
thomyeah, bit unnecesary12:22
Kamiondaniels: if you mean the release update, no, I just checked in remotely12:22
danielsKamion: right12:22
Kamionyay, dvd burner12:22
Mithrandirfabbione: just close 2502 now?12:25
=== pitti [~martin@box79162.elkhouse.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== HiddenWolf [~hidden@136.228.dynamic.phpg.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== koke [~koke@rm-001-26.serve.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbioneMithrandir: checking now12:33
sivangHi all12:33
fabbioneMithrandir: yes we can close it imho12:33
pittiHi sivang 12:34
sivangpitti: Hi martin, what's up?12:34
pittisivang: I'm debugging ntpd12:34
pittisivang: this silly thing works everytime but on bootup12:35
pittisivang: so I have to reboot very often for debugging *grumpf*12:35
Mithrandirfabbione: ok, closing.12:35
pittisivang: getpwnam() is playing bad with me12:35
Mithrandirseb128: any idea how to fix 6618 (except the "make thunderbird quit faster")?12:36
Kamionow, bitten by hardware12:37
seb128Mithrandir: nop, evolution does the same ...12:37
=== Kamion attempts to type while avoiding using his left middle finger
thomyay, it's not just me who gets bled on by stuff12:39
pittiKamion: what's wrong with your finger? Did your cat like it too much? 12:39
Kamion11:37 < Kamion> ow, bitten by hardware12:39
=== dilinger wonders what thom is doing that gets him bled on by stuff
Kamionno cat; we have a snake, but not the biting kind12:40
pittiyeah, the unix stuff - "small sharp tools" :-)12:41
thomdilinger: my fingers managed to reverse that sentence for me12:43
ajmitchKamion: I can understand, except it's my index finger that I sliced :)12:44
sivangpitti: oh that's bad :-/12:45
sivangpitti: anyway, would you like to upload my packages today?12:45
sivanghmm, crappy net access? ;-)12:45
fabbioneKamion: are you updating the live and cd images?12:46
Kamionfabbione: yes12:47
Kamionhm, why might my BIOS hang at IDE detection now that I've plugged in a DVD drive?12:47
fabbioneKamion: wrong master/slave/cs jumper?12:48
=== pitti [~martin@box79162.elkhouse.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sivangpitti: wb :)12:49
sivangpitti: crappy network?12:49
Kamionfabbione: hm, could be12:49
pittisivang: no, frequent reboots for debugging ntp-server12:49
=== fabbione burns install DVD
sivangpitti: ah I see. ok, lemme know when you have time to upload the modified g-c-m12:50
=== froud-work [~froud@ndn-165-131-237.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tp [~tp@cpc2-leed1-4-0-cust93.ldst.cable.ntl.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
kokeis Michiel Sikkes here? I don't know his nick12:54
amulamont: around? 12:54
=== froud-work [~froud@ndn-165-131-237.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dholbachkoke: mitario12:56
tpjust a quick question before I post a bug. in /etc/fonts/local.conf .. autohint is now enabled and the panel won't switch it off. Is this correct behaviour (if I uncomment autohint, I return to warty style / autohint disabled behaviour) 12:56
Treenaksisn't the autohinter enabled/disabled by the "fonts" config panel?12:57
tpit doesn't seem to be12:57
tpwith auto hint enabled in local.conf, the fonts are fuzzy regardles of hinting12:58
Treenakshm, I'll leave it disabled then12:58
tpwith autohint disabled, I can get warty style no-autohinting (verticals are clean)12:58
TreenaksI don't want fuzzy fonts12:58
tpwould you like me to post anything?12:58
jdubkoke: mitario when he's on12:58
kokedholbach, jdub thanks :)12:59
fabbionejdub: btw. i managed to get gst-launch to work12:59
fabbionejdub: but flumotion still barfs12:59
jdubfabbione: did you use extra parameters for v4lsrc with your gst-launch line?01:02
tpTreenaks: thanks, leave a message if you'd like me to post anything01:03
fabbionejdub: no. only gst-launch-0.8 v4lsrc ! ximagesink or something on that line01:03
fabbionebut it was only one parameter01:03
jdubi mean directly after v4lsrc01:03
fabbionenothing more than that01:04
jdubwhat changes did you make to have it working?01:04
fabbionei solved the 2 frames thingy with a driver setting01:04
fabbioneit is a specific gst bug that can be workarounded01:04
fabbioneat least according to the driver documentation01:04
dokofabbione: http://listserv.isdn4linux.de/pipermail/isdn4linux/2005-March/001292.html01:05
=== skyrider [~skyrider@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionfabbione: thanks, that was it01:06
fabbioneKamion: no problem.. i did nothing :)01:06
=== jbailey [~jbailey@CPE000ded9d787c-CM014260028338.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbionedoko: reading now01:06
fabbionedoko: that still doesn't fix the segfault on the avfritz thingy01:07
fabbioneand in any case it is too late for reinclusion01:07
dokothe patch that I attached to the bug report had the avmfritz driver disabled.01:07
fabbionedoko: what was the bug number again?01:09
sivangpitti: back?01:09
pittisivang: yes, package build is nearly finished. I need (at least) one further reboot for testing01:10
sivangpitti: ok, have you gotten my msg about g-c-m?01:10
pittisivang: I tell you when I'm ready :-)01:10
sivangpitti:ok, thx :)  There's also something strange with postgres going on over my system, it won't never stop nicely when rebooting, is this known?01:11
mvodoko: I find the mail scary. I mean, the kernel changes a API in the middle of a stable series 01:11
pittisivang: no, please file a bug01:11
sivangpitti: ok, is there anythinig to do to retrive logs and backtrac information etc?01:11
pittisivang: output messages, to start with01:12
KamionMithrandir: did you ask lamont to fix PaS for openoffice.org-amd64?01:12
Kamionor actually elmo, I guess01:12
sivangpitti: ok, apparently there are none, but I should boot without "quiet" and then recheck.01:12
MithrandirKamion: it's not PaS-ed01:12
dokofabbione: #519301:13
KamionMithrandir: it hasn't built on ia64 ...01:13
=== pitti reboots again *sigh*
Mithrandir: tfheen@shonap ~ > wget -qO - 'http://cvs.debian.org/srcdep/Packages-arch-specific?rev=HEAD&cvsroot=dak&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup' | grep openoffice.org-amd6401:14
Mithrandir: tfheen@shonap ~ >01:14
=== sivang --> reboot
=== Goshawk [~Goshawk@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti [~martin@box79162.elkhouse.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Simira [~simira@56.80-202-210.nextgentel.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionfabbione: new install CDs up, live CDs building01:21
=== fabbione rsync
Kamionlive bloated a bit, may be broken01:22
fabbionewell i will start with the install ;)01:22
fabbionebut i need to wait a bit later to test the dvd install01:22
fabbionei can't trash the actual installation on that machine01:22
fabbionenot yet at least01:22
fabbionei have to take a full backup.. just in case01:23
Kamionhm, I should be able to try out the Linux Magazine DVD now01:23
fabbione#define ARCHi386  101:26
=== froud-work is now known as froud
fabbioneis this a typo in README.diskdefines  ?01:26
fabbione(from the DVD)01:26
Kamionprobably, I'll check01:27
=== froud is now known as froud-away
fabbionethere is another line right on top that define the same...01:27
Kamionwell, appears to be deliberate01:27
fabbioneor almost01:27
d3vic3Kamion, can i send you a diff and dsc file, so you can upload on my behalf ?01:27
Kamionwhat's that file actually used for, if anything?01:28
Kamiond3vic3: what package?01:28
Kamionmm, would prefer someone who actually knows about the package ;)01:28
fabbioned3vic3: send it here if Kamion is busy01:28
fabbioneok send it to me01:28
fabbionefabbione@u.c 01:28
Kamionthanks fabio01:28
=== froud-away is now known as froud-work
Kamionfabbione: no, ARCHi386 appears to be deliberate; README.html.in uses that01:29
Kamiondunno why we bother actually shipping that file though, it's weird01:30
=== froud-work is now known as froud-away
fabbioneprobably for the autocd detection thingy?01:30
Kamionnah, that generally uses other files, like .disk/info, dists/, or the ubuntu symlink01:31
fabbioneautomount -> detect -> show the nice message "Hey your cdrom is choaking an Ubuntu Hoary cd! wanna upgrade?"01:31
=== Kamion watches the Linux Magazine DVD merrily copying all of main to the hard disk, as predicted
=== froud-away is now known as froud-work
Kamionyeah, nothing like that uses README.diskdefines as far as I know01:31
pittisivang: ntp works again, now let's tackle g-c-m01:32
d3vic3fabbione, incomming 01:32
pittisivang: patch?01:32
fabbioned3vic3: ok01:32
pittismurfix: here?01:33
fabbioned3vic3: is that correct that you only added an entry in the changelog?01:39
d3vic3yup 01:40
d3vic3force to rebuild 01:40
fabbioned3vic3: yes but that is not enough generally01:41
fabbioneyou should be sure (via debian/control) that the package cannot build with the old version of libflac01:41
fabbioneotherwise you only partially solve the problem01:41
=== goedson [~goedson@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
d3vic3I made sure 01:45
d3vic3fabbione, tested it also01:45
fabbioned3vic3: you need to modify debian/control01:46
fabbioneto ensure that it gets the right version of libflac01:46
fabbioneah pants off01:47
eglimdz: re bug 4354: you say that you need more info and you cannot reproduce the bug.01:47
eglimdz: the bug report is for warty01:47
eglimdz: I'll have to see if I can get a hoary machine to try to reproduce the problem01:47
pittisivang: ping01:48
fabbioned3vic3: ok.. never mind..01:48
=== decko [decko@decko.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
d3vic3fabbione, ??? 01:48
fabbioned3vic3: it's ok..01:49
d3vic3explain please, in case I'm missing something 01:49
fabbioneno it's me01:50
fabbionei missed something01:50
fabbioneanyway.. uploaded01:50
=== decko_ [decko@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbioneKamion: does the DVD come with combo live/install?01:52
Kamionfabbione: yes01:53
Kamiontype 'live' to boot in live mode01:53
=== fabbione adds the extra test to the list
=== kagou [~kagou@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
kagouwhere can i put options for modules ? I don't have a /etc/modules.conf .... I want to add "options ide-cd dma=1"01:57
Treenakskagou: use /etc/hdparm.conf for setting DMA on IDE devices01:58
kagouTreenaks, i have "hdc=noprobe hdc=cdrom" on kernel parameters (if not hal crash)02:00
Treenaksis it such a strange config?02:00
kagouso i don't have possibility to enable DMA for my dvdrw (hdc)02:00
kagouit's a notebook02:01
Treenakshdparm -d1 /dev/hdc02:01
Treenakstry that02:01
kagoumake's an error02:01
Kamionwhat error?02:01
kagoumy notebook -> http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/MiniPCPortablesPDA/sujet-1459-1.htm02:02
=== Seveas [dennis@seveas.demon.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
kagouthe error is :02:03
kagou"Operation not permitted"02:04
kagoui'v read here https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=75387 that may be i can pass "dma=1" to the ide-cd module02:05
kagoui 'v also tried to load via82cxxx before ide-cd module02:13
sivangpitti: pong02:13
dholbachsee you later02:16
=== herzi [~herzi@c167132.adsl.hansenet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== srbaker [~srbaker@blk-222-52-156.eastlink.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
herziis matthias klose around here? what's his nick?02:24
pittiherzi: doko02:25
herzidoko: ping02:25
herzithanks guys02:25
jdubyo herzi 02:26
herziyo jdub, what's up? i've been ill and busy the last weeks, i'd like to see you on tv :)02:28
jdubso first you should mail the starlight foundation02:28
jduband for ONE MILLION DOLLARS i will appear for you on TV02:28
=== Goshawk [~Goshawk@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
herzijdub: okay, i'll wait for guadec then :P02:29
Treenaksjdub: and specific kind of dollar?02:30
Treenaksjdub: and=any02:30
=== Amaranth still hasn't seen jdub's TV show ;)
mvojdub: are there plans to update the .desktop files of gnome-app-install? I have a branch of ross repository that contains some i18n updates and it would be nice if they could be included in a upload (along with desktop file updates)02:30
jdubmvo: yes02:31
jdubmvo: you're welcome to do an upload straight away02:31
jdubmvo: ross is away02:31
dokoherzi: pong02:31
=== dredg [niall@malkovich.office.blacknight.ie] has joined #ubuntu-devel
herzidoko: just taking a look at the gdb stuff02:31
mvojdub: can we talk in private what other updates are needed to the package?02:31
herzia ppc package would have been useful for me02:31
mjg59thom: Ping?02:31
thommjg59: ack02:32
mjg59thom: Can you take a look at http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/tmp/gdm-signal.tar.gz ?02:32
mjg59We need that in order to allow sleep buttons that send keycodes to work02:33
=== Loevborg [~loevborg@d37-55.dip.isp-service.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
thommjg59: ok, will do02:35
thommjg59: what's the go with radeontool for hoary? can't remember what needs to happen, if anything02:36
mjg59thom: I haven't heard back from enough testers.02:36
=== zul [~chuck@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== froud-work [~froud@ndn-165-131-237.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mjg59And what I have heard back is somewhat contradictory02:39
herzisvenl: ping02:40
=== seb128_ [~seb128@ANancy-151-1-8-113.w83-194.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Crushed_Cigar [~zinc@adsl-68-126-42-185.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
svenlherzi: pong.02:44
=== lunitik [~trey@ip68-230-75-109.ph.ph.cox.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
herzisvenl: what's the status of ubuntu on pegasos?02:46
svenlherzi: it should work, provided the patches go int.02:48
svenlherzi: it will need an OF upgrade i am working on (only yaboot-from-CD is still broken), X configuration will be fixed provided the two patches in 7144 are merged and not deemed unimportant.02:49
svenlherzi: yaboot-installer will need fixing and the new OF upload, but Kamion said he would work on that.02:49
svenlherzi: and the 2.6.10 kernel of ubuntu lacks the gigabit ethernet driver patch.02:49
svenlherzi: as a workaround to missing yaboot support in pegasos-OF, the mkvmlinuz workaround could be added to the kernel, there was no great interest on that though, altough Kamion said he would like to make it happen.02:50
svenlherzi: the rest is user testing and things i haven't really looked in.02:50
herzidid you get the amiga-support into yaboot yet?02:51
herzii heard upstream wasn't keen about them02:51
svenlherzi: yep.02:51
svenlherzi: after 6 month of fighting, it is finally in, there may be other bugs though, like yaboot thinking that a CD iso should have one partition on it i am still working on.02:52
svenlherzi: yaboot from netboot and yaboot from disk on yaboot-supported-filesystem works.02:52
herzi.oO(partitioned cds....)02:53
Amaranthso, what's the deal with grumpy? someone is telling it it'll be like debian's sid02:53
svenlherzi: the problem is in the pegasos-of code ignoring the partition/filesystem detection code when called from the client-interface which yaboot uses, but i am working on that.02:53
Amaranthis that true?02:53
herziAmaranth: grumpy will the the post-hoary02:53
herziso it's more what "jackie" (iirc) is for debian02:54
pittiwhat's jessie?02:54
Treenaksherzi: etch you mean (post-sarge)02:54
AmaranthOk, so the talk about it being like sid and "bendy" being the next release isn't true?02:54
svenlherzi: no, it detects a iso filesystem, and then declares a partition table with one partition of empty size, instead of returning NULL, so yaboot passes bullshit to the underlyig OF. bullshit which apple-of knows how to handle.02:54
herzipitti: jessie is post-sarge02:54
=== pitti thought it was "Etch"
Mithrandirpitti: it is etch.02:55
=== herzi goes and kicks his v-man
Treenaksherzi: it's etch, according to the "nybbles from the d-a team"02:55
Treenaksd-r team?02:55
Treenaksah, your informant :)02:56
pittithom: I just cleaned the mozilla-thunderbird-locale-* packages, shall I do the mozilla-locale-* stuff as well?02:56
pittithom: (the bugs are currently yours)02:56
=== mpt_switzerland [~mpt@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittielmo: please remove the following source packages from the archive: mozilla-firefox-locale-{da,fr,sv,tr} (superseded by m-f-l-all)03:01
=== _Clint_ [clint@adsl-69-233-179-235.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
KamionAmaranth: current favourite name for the next release is "breezy", but it's not final yet03:02
AmaranthKamion: So the name hasn't been picked but there won't be a "grumpy" too, right?03:03
KamionAmaranth: grumpy was originally intended to be the release after hoary, but that's no longer going to be the case; it's likely to end up being some kind of autobuilt crack-of-the-day-from-upstream faux-distribution03:03
Amaranthlike sid03:03
Kamionno, not like sid03:03
Kamionsid is still maintained by means of source uploads from developers03:04
Kamiongrumpy will be automatic from upstream CVS repositories and the like, if it ever gets off the ground03:04
Kamionrather more like a sort of automatically-maintained experimental03:04
Kamionin that you'd be extremely unlikely to want to run grumpy as a whole, but perhaps individual packages from there03:05
SimiraKamion: when is string freeze for hoary? 03:07
=== Alessio [~Alessio@host113-4.pool8251.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== [Clint] [~c123p456@user-12hdtf4.cable.mindspring.com] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Client]
pittimvo: ping03:15
=== skyrider [~skyrider@] has left #ubuntu-devel []
sivangseb128: hey Seb, I'd need to ask you about adding trasnlation support to some code I wrote03:17
seb128use gettext03:17
KamionSimira: I don't know, sorry03:17
froud-worksivang: speak to trickie he is using gettext and pot/po etc for ubuntu-doc03:18
froud-worksivang: he can probably help you with the toolchain required03:19
sivangseb128: so just process my code with gettext to update the POT file for g-c-m for example?03:19
seb128make update-po in po/03:20
sivangseb128: ok, btw, the source pacakges are pre translation strip right?03:21
sivangseb128: (that is , they containt all the translation data)03:21
seb128the source is the upstream source03:21
sivangseb128: how does translation data works in relation with the source packages?03:21
seb128I don't get the question03:21
sivangseb128: so pitti's scripts eat sources pkgs and strip the translation data from them?03:21
pittisivang: no03:22
seb128no, that's a build time stuff03:22
sivangpitti: ok03:22
pittisivang: pkgstriptranslations strips mo files from debs03:22
sivangpitti: eh03:22
pittisivang: the source pacakges are not altered03:22
sivangpitti: mo files are created from the binaries?03:22
=== _Clint_ is now known as [Clint]
pittisivang: from po files, yes03:23
sivangpitti: ok,was just interested how we handle the traslations from the source pkgs enter the buildd03:24
=== Crushed_Cigar [~zinc@adsl-68-126-42-185.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sivangseb128: do I only have to do _("string") to have my strings added ?03:28
sivangseb128: (before running gettext in the /po folder)03:28
seb128you are writting a new program ?03:29
seb128or changing one ?03:29
sivangseb128: changing03:29
sivangseb128: g-c-m03:29
seb128ok, so you can use _()03:29
sivangseb128: cool, thanks!03:29
seb128and make update-po should work in po/03:29
pittisivang: you should probably also add the new string to seb's metabug (#???) regarding translations03:29
sivangpitti, seb128 : what's that meta bug? ;-)03:30
seb128that's as quick to search for you as for me03:30
seb128don't be that lazy 03:30
seb128search for bug with translation in the title in bugzilla03:30
sivangseb128: I will search :) just thought there was the number at hand :-))03:30
lupusBEseb128, will I have to wait long for hald 0.5 and dbus 0.30 :P I want to do some hacking on g-v-m03:31
seb128that's a question for pitti03:32
seb128I don't maintain hal or dbus03:32
seb128but that's probably not for hoary03:32
pittilupusBE: not for Hoary03:32
pittilupusBE: the new hal is sexy, but it has big architectural changes03:33
pittilupusBE: I'll package it around the start of May03:33
lupusBEI wonder if making an app gtk only will make it use less memory03:34
herzilupusBE: usually that's not the case03:35
herzibecause i need to duplicate code that can be shared in memory in a library03:35
lupusBEI find it mysterious that g-v-m needs 6mb of resident memory03:36
=== kent [~kent@c83-249-61-222.bredband.comhem.se] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbioneseb128: my little french friend.. YOU ROCK!03:41
Mithrandirfabbione: Iz not GTK bug?03:42
seb128fabbione: thanks, but I've done something special ? 03:42
fabbioneMithrandir: well he gave me some good hints to unfucking the sparc buildd from the GTK bugin3zz :-)03:43
=== thully [~thully@wuser120-league.umnet.umich.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== kop|gone is now known as metallikop
=== metallikop is now known as kop|gone
lamontMithrandir: oo.o-amd64 is certainly PaS: amd6403:52
lamontand it's an elmo fix03:52
=== bradb [~bradb@MTL-ppp-144647.qc.sympatico.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mithrandirlamont: not on cvs.d.o03:53
lamonthence elmo-fix03:53
Mithrandirelmo: could you please un-pas ooo-amd64?  It should build on ia64 as well.03:53
lamontours is derived from theirs03:53
=== Gagatan [bgrotan@cassarossa.samfundet.no] has joined #ubuntu-devel
MithrandirI thought we synced stuff back?03:53
=== travail101 [~travail10@81-203-233-85.user.ono.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
travail101how's linux-wlan-ng integration coming along? =P03:55
=== Mitario [~michiel@sikkes.xs4all.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== carlos [~carlos@69.Red-80-33-181.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamiontravail101: it's been added to ship03:58
KamionI've just asked about the live seed too03:59
travail101I'm looking forward to having an Ubuntu LiveCD with my wireless supported =D03:59
=== Crushed_Cigar [~zinc@adsl-68-126-42-185.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
travail101what C(XX)FLAGS does Ubuntu use?04:04
tsengmtune=pentium4 -mcpu=i486 -O2 or so04:05
travail101wow, what's mtune, I've never heard of that flag04:06
tsengits in man/info gcc04:06
travail101wait... it wouldn't have any advatage over -march when using on a single system would it?04:07
tsengno, march uses instruction set specific tuning04:08
tsengwhich is potentially better than tuning, which is still portable04:08
travail101so I should stick with march for my own stuff04:08
travail101and mtune for making generic packages for friends or whatever04:08
tsengyou should really not be too worried about it, imo04:09
=== dudley [~dudley@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
travail101tseng, why's that?04:09
tsengbecause it doesnt matter that much in the scheme of things04:09
travail101I hear a lot of talk about whether or not all these aggresive SFLAGS actually do any good in practice...04:10
herzitravail101: with modern cpus you don't get that much benefit04:10
tsengsome packages certainly benefit, but most by a few fractions of a second04:10
tsengat which point, who cares04:10
tsengubuntu careful selected sane defaults for you04:11
travail101(i don't use Ubuntu... :-|)04:11
tsengthen you are more off topic than I thought.04:11
=== wasabi_ [~wasabi@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
travail101I'm trying to learn a little about CFLAGS and i hear from different places that Ubuntu has a pretty responsive desktop04:12
travail101and I know that technically if you want full optimization you need to do a lot of homework and tweak the flags spedifically for each package04:13
=== dudley [~dudley@] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Kopete]
=== mpt_switzerland [~mpt@] has left #ubuntu-devel []
tsengthat legend comes from LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"04:13
tsengwell not legend..04:13
travail101but I'd like to find the best default, for packages that don't need to be portable, just for use on my system04:13
tsengbut come back and see us again when you haev ubuntu packaging issues please04:14
tsengwe arent here to help you optimize your gentoo or whatever04:14
travail101well thanx anyway04:14
Treenakswow, #gentoo :P04:14
lamontelmo about?  thom?04:15
=== Goshawk [~Goshawk@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
travail101Treenaks, they don't know everything you know04:15
Treenakstravail101: I don't know everything, but pissing contests about CFLAGS are really gentoo-ish in my eyes :)04:16
travail101I'm not an elitist that stays in the realm of my own Distro/favorite whatever, I like to gather the ideas/knowledge and experience of the entire OpenSource community04:16
=== srbaker [~srbaker@blk-222-52-156.eastlink.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamonttravail101: ubuntu uses -march=i486 -mcpu=pentium4 -pipe04:17
lamontit's the -pipe that makes things run so fast. :-)04:17
=== lamont chuckles
=== travail101 feels a bit awkward...
=== Keybuk [~scott@descent.netsplit.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamonttravail101: -pipe just tells the compiler to use a pipe instead of temp files for passing things between stages.04:20
lamontwhich is to say, it doesn't do squat for runtime performance04:20
=== Crushed_Cigar [~zinc@adsl-68-126-42-185.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
travail101that's what I thought04:20
pittijbailey: here?04:20
travail101it helps with compile time right?04:20
Treenakslamont: why isn't this default then?04:21
jbaileypitti: Yup!04:21
KamionTreenaks: uses more memory04:21
lamontTreenaks: history? dunno04:22
lamont-pipe means that you get a whole bunch of components (stages) running at the same time - this can slow down compiles on single processor machines04:22
TreenaksKamion: true, but it's also faster if you have it, right?04:22
travail101lamont, =P maybe i should remove -pipe then04:23
Treenakslamont: then uniprocessor machines should be outlawed :P04:23
lamontwhich reminds me...  maybe I should turn of -pipe on the UP ia64 build machines...04:23
Mitariomvo, hey, you here?04:24
mvoMitario: yes04:24
Mitariomvo, everything allright? :)04:24
mvoMitario: yeah, pretty good here :)04:24
Mitariook nice :)04:24
Mitarioi just did a little mockup of some idea i have for synaptic04:24
Mitario(UI stuff)04:24
travail101mind if I ask one more non ubuntu question?04:25
travail101or would you rather I just leave?04:25
mvoMitario: cool, URL?04:25
Mitariomvo, geeklog.eyesopened.nl/wp-content/images/synaptic-mockup.png04:25
Mitariowoops that - should be a ' '04:26
mvofor the download progress? looks nice :)04:26
Mitarioyeah for the download progress :)04:26
mvonot for hoary (and synaptic-0.56) though :)04:26
Mitariono i know hoary+1 :)04:26
MitarioI'll try and do some patches in some time then :) good oppertunity to learn some C++04:27
=== ogra [~ogra@p508EB072.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Mitario is a language whoe the last few weeks
lamonttravail101: as long as it's development related, fire away04:28
travail101it's kernel related04:29
travail101patchsets and so on04:29
=== eruin [~eruin@eruin.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamontprolly devel related, then...04:29
fabbioneKamion: tomorrow we will upload a new kernel and we need to bump the ABI04:29
fabbioneKamion: that will happen around 14:00 UTC (the upload)04:29
lamontfabbione: my mirror hates you04:29
fabbionelamont: give him a hug from me ;)04:29
mvoMitario: hehe :) go for it if you want. but chances are there that more parts of synaptic will move into python. I hacked some code in python-apt for a fetcher interface. that means that we can move to a python implementation of downloading and installing in u-m and g-a-i (and we will not need synaptic as backend anymore)04:31
=== mvo wonders if that sentence is actually understanable given it's grammar
Mitariomvo, hehe, well thats great!04:31
Mitariothis way we could have a cool native python progress thingy in u-m and g-a-i04:32
Mitariomvo, is it in tla somewhere? I'd like to try it :)04:32
mvoMitario: urm, err ... /me checks04:32
Mitariobut anyways, remember that synaptic won't go away :) so it would be a nice UI thingy anyways04:32
Mithrandirlamont: does ia32-libs-openoffice.org exist on ia64?04:34
mvoMitario: right :) my python work is in michael.vogt@ubuntu.com--2005/python-apt--mvo--0 (it needs "baz")04:34
=== Goshawk [~Goshawk@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamontlibs/ia32-libs-openoffice.org_1ubuntu4: Installed by buildd+weddell [optional:out-of-date] 04:35
mvoMitario: it needs some more flesh, but the "update" method is implemented and doc/examples/action.py contains some example code04:35
lamontMithrandir: (that's a yes)04:35
Mithrandirlamont: ok, thanks.04:35
Mithrandirlamont: I'm writing a mail to James, since he doesn't seem to be around ATM.04:35
Mitariomvo, very cool :)04:35
=== Mitario is going to try baz
lamontMithrandir: yeah04:36
sivangmvo: you're like writing python bindings for lipapt  so python programs could use it natively? :-)04:37
=== ogra sees a python synaptic version at the horizon
jbaileymjg59: Around?04:38
mjg59jbailey: Ish, yeah04:38
mjg59What's up?04:38
Kamionfabbione: ok04:38
jbaileymjg59: Would it be insane to do something where we look at a swap partition and if it has a suspend-to-disk image in it, we just automatically run mkswap?04:39
mjg59jbailey: No, that's the right answer04:39
fabbioneKamion: it would help if you will be around that time04:39
jbaileymjg59: ISTM that if we get that far, the image is already useless.04:39
mjg59If we get that far, the image is actively dangerous04:39
fabbioneKamion: so that we can push/seed it as appropriate04:39
mvosivang: python-apt is available since a long time now. but it lacks importend bits that are needed if you want to use it as a "real" package manager. e.s. the interface to mark packages for install and the interface to fetch and install04:39
fabbionedaniels: ping?04:39
jbaileymjg59: Lovely.  I'll retitle 5594 to be that, and deal with it.04:39
sivangmvo: so you're finishing this work? coool04:40
mjg59jbailey: The swsusp signature is well-defined - the script should just check for that, and mkswap the partition if it's there04:40
sivangjbailey: hey jeff :)04:40
jbaileyHeya Sivan04:40
=== kop|gone is now known as metallikop
Kamionfabbione: yes, should be04:40
mvoogra: could happen :) but I need to see if speed is acceptable. but it's not wasted work as u-m and g-a-i benefit04:40
ogramvo: i guess other (future) tools will too :)04:41
jbaileymjg59: Great.  I'll tackle this one.  Thanks.04:42
=== dholbac1 [~daniel@td9091d0d.pool.terralink.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Goshawk [~Goshawk@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mvoogra: it may well be that people will start playing with package-managment interfaces and come up with lot's of new ideas. it's pretty interessting04:44
ograyup :)04:44
ograsounds very promising04:44
=== koke [~koke@rm-001-26.serve.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Hannes_ [hannes@baana-81-175-156-43.dsl.phnet.fi] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jbaileyenrico: Ping?04:45
pittimvo: on warty->hoary upgrade, can we already use system upgrade hooks?04:45
dholbac1seb128: i'll package gtkmm and bakery later04:45
dholbac1seb128: but i can do bakery on my own... it's universe04:46
mvopitti: no, they depend on a running update-notifier04:46
pittimvo: but doesn't the upgrade install u-n?04:46
pittimvo: the problem is, on upgrading the user will lose all translations because langpacks aren't installed automatically04:46
pittimvo: the upgrade hook would be the perfect place to mark language-pack-$USERLANG as to-be-installed04:46
mvopitti: it does, but it won't be started automatically (because I know of no way to add it to the users session automatically). kde can do it btw with /usr/share/autostart (or something like that)04:47
pittimvo: ah, but it will be started when the user logs in the next time?04:47
mvopitti: we can use it I think (utf8migrator uses them too). but it's not perfect unfortunately04:47
pittimvo: after the upgrade, the user has to reboot anyway (new kernel, new gnome, shitload of other new stufff)04:48
mvopitti: no, as I said I know of no way to add it to the users session automatically. it needs to be started once and then saved with the session04:48
pittiah, I thought you meant the currently running session04:48
mvo(started once by the user. new users will get it automatically in the default gnome-session)04:48
pittibut then this problem will persist forever04:49
pittimvo: no way to start it at least in the next login?04:49
ograpitti: lets patch gnome-session ;)04:49
mvopitti: I know of no way, any ideas seb128 :) ?04:49
=== pitti runs away, passing the torch to seb128
mvowe are a bit late for that but I would do it if needed. it bugs me too :)04:50
pittimvo: is "please start u-m" already in the HoaryUpgradeNotes?04:50
enricojbailey: yes?04:50
pittimvo: better write this one thing into it rather than a long list of things to do in addition04:50
pittimvo: and the user will want u-n anyway :-)04:51
mvopitti: agreed04:51
jbaileyenrico: I was just digging through the meeting minutes, and I don't see where to actually send release note updates to... =)04:51
mvopitti: agreed again :)04:51
enricojbailey: ubuntu-doc@lists.ubuntu.com04:51
pittimvo: so apart from the starting problem, how much effort is it to add this install mark?04:51
jbaileyenrico: Thanks. =)04:51
enricojbailey: sorry about the missing info: we just gave it for granted that everyone knew the list address04:51
mvopitti: drop a file to /var/lib/update-notifier/user.d :)04:52
jbaileyenrico: No worries.  I keep finding new corners of this distro that I didn't know existed. =)04:52
enrico(but at the same time, we are the first ones knowing to never give things for granted :)04:52
pittimvo: oh, empty...04:52
pittimvo: no system.d/ ?04:52
mvopitti: the format for the file is: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/InteractiveUpgradeHooks/view?searchterm=upgrade%20hooks04:52
jbaileyenrico: I'd almost love to assemble one day a big chart of all of Ubuntu, make it like the JDK charts that sun publishes.  It would be interesting to show just how big the scope is.04:52
=== Skeezix [~jamin@cust-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mvopitti: if it's system-wide, why not use debconf?04:53
pittimvo: where?04:53
=== travail101 [~travail10@81-203-233-85.user.ono.com] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Leaving"]
=== Sym [~zero@dialup-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== x4m [~max@171.160-136-217.adsl.skynet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mvopitti: where?04:54
=== GheRivero [~ghe@hiscpdprx01.upsa.es] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mvopitti: oh, where!04:54
pittihey, I asked first :-)04:54
mvonow I got it04:54
pittimvo: we have no packaage to put this into04:54
=== mroth [~mroth@mroth.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mvopitti: the hooks have the same problem. you drop a file in that dir and the hook is displayed. but the file has to come from somewhere (it's not part of u-n itself)04:55
=== pitti feels the need for an ubuntu-upgrade package
thompitti: please do (moz-locale packages)04:59
thomlamont: ack?04:59
pittithom: ack04:59
thompitti: (and thanks)05:00
seb128mvo, pitti: patches are welcome :p05:00
=== pitti anticipated this answer
mvoseb128: do you think it would be accepted upstream?05:00
lamontthom: could I get blender build-deps in the chroot on concordia?05:01
seb128mvo: not sure05:01
thomlamont: by "the" i take it you mean hoary amd64?05:04
lamontuh, yeah05:04
lamontthere's others? :-)05:04
=== lamont hangs his head.
thomdchroot -l05:05
thomAvailable chroots: hoary [default] , warty, hoary-i386, hoary-clean, bazaar05:05
lamontyeah, knew that..05:05
lamont.hrm.. actually, if you're gonna do the other thing, maybe hoary-i386 would be less of an impact on others...05:05
thomi'm prolly not gonna do the other thing05:05
thomyou can send mail to admins about that05:05
lamontyeah -figured that much05:05
fabbionehey thom05:05
=== lamont makes a note to buy thom some asbestos pants
fabbionethom: can you please install mplayer build-dep on davis or any ppc chroot in there? even dedicated if you prefer (due to multiverse)05:06
=== froud-work is now known as froud
thomfabbione: meh05:14
thomlamont: done05:14
=== pitti_laptop [~pitti@box79162.elkhouse.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== thully [~thully@wuser120-league.umnet.umich.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbionethom: any direction is fine for me05:15
fabbionei don't care...05:15
dholbac1i'm packaging bakery2.3, which had the 3 binary packages libbakery-2.3-{common,dev,9}, now ABI broke and i'll have libbakery-2.3-{common,dev,12} around, do i have to Replace: or Conflicts: anything?05:15
=== lamont ponders how to do what he needs to do on concordia
fabbionelamont: don't mess up concordia ! :)05:21
metallikopjdub: are you around?05:21
lamontfabbione: that's why I have to ponder05:21
lamontfabbione: that was "the other thing" :-)05:21
lamontdoko around?05:23
=== jinty [~jinty@78.Red-213-96-3.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Crushed_Cigar [~zinc@adsl-68-126-42-185.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokolamont: yes05:26
=== koke_ [~koke@rm-001-26.serve.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamontthom: found a way.  thanks05:28
=== koke_ is now known as koke
thomfabbione: hoary-multiverse chroot on davis, mplayer build deps installing currently05:31
thullyI've got quite a few outstanding bugs with no comments from others, or at least no activity in a while.  What should I do with these?05:32
thomthully: show patience05:32
thullywell - some have been around for months - I'm just a bit concerned that they somehow got "lost in the pile" as to speak05:33
seb128that's a possibility05:33
seb128you can send patches05:34
thullyI don't really know about GTK and the like, so that isn't really feasible - should I avoid reporting bugs if I can't fix them myself?05:35
seb128thully: do you have any such bug assigned to me ?05:35
seb128nop, reporting bug is nice05:35
thullymultiple ones05:35
seb128if we feel than the bug has to be fixed quickly we do so05:35
thullylike 6 to you and another 6 to thom05:36
seb128and we don't you just have to wait or to send a patch to help05:36
seb128give me some URL here, I'll say why there is no reply05:36
thullythat's the bug #05:37
seb128that's probably a dup05:37
lamontthom: grumble.  spoke too soon. :-(05:37
seb128there is some bugs open about network-admin issue, auto parameters, and network on boot05:38
seb128that's on my list of stuff to sort05:39
=== carlos [~carlos@69.Red-80-33-181.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
thullyAbout the spelling bug - I installed with U.S.English, and logging in w/default settings I see this.  Was this fixed recently by any chance (I'm lagging a bit on my dist-upgrades)05:39
seb128no idea05:39
seb128that works fine here by picking "American english" in gdm05:40
seb128I've replied on this one05:40
thullysaw that - I may try a fresh install from preview CD05:40
seb128perhaps the installer has set a different locale, that's why I've asked if you have the issue with "American english"05:40
thullyAlso, I just added a new one assigned to you - MP3 not appearing in Sound Juicer, even with the plugins installed (gstreamer-lame, etc)05:41
seb128yeah, just read it05:41
seb128need to try05:41
thullyIt used to be there, they just hid it05:41
seb128I don't read all the bugs, just the ones assigned to me05:41
thullyI saw something in GNOME help on how to add it, but it was some convoluted instructions that shouldn't be needed05:42
=== zenrox [~zenrox@wbar7.sea-4-12-028-223.dsl-verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
thomthully: but basically, the points are: if we reply, we need more info; generally, if you don't get a reply but the bug remains open, it's just low priority for the developer and will get fixed eventually 05:43
thom*in general*05:43
thullyIs there anyone here who wants to comment on the overuse of serif fonts in Firefox I've been noticing?  Slashdot is supposed to use Arial or Helvetica, but uses Bitstream Vera Serif (Vera Sans would be nice as a substitution)05:43
=== Crushed_Cigar [~zinc@adsl-68-126-42-185.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
HiddenWolfthully: it's called taste05:44
seb128usually if I don't reply that's because I don't have an idea on this issue, or that's a details and I don't know what to do about it (like https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6005 for an example)05:44
seb128that and low priority05:44
thomthully: way off topic05:44
=== Hannes_ [hannes@baana-81-175-156-43.dsl.phnet.fi] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mdzegli: please follow up to the bug so that the information is there for everyone, thanks05:45
thullywhy is font selection in Ubuntu off topic?  Selecting serif fonts to substitute for Arial seems like a bug...05:45
mdzpitti: I agree it shouldn't add the locales on upgrade05:46
pitti_laptopHi mdz 05:46
thomthully: does it only occur in ubuntu? with the same fonts, does a mozilla.org binary make the same choices?05:46
thommorning mdz05:46
mvomorning mdz 05:46
fabbionehey mdz05:46
seb128hi mdz05:47
fabbionemdz: did you sleep well?05:47
thullyIt occurs in Debian as well - may be more of a freetype bug05:47
mdzyes, for once05:47
fabbionethat's good05:47
seb128thully: you can create a profile with gnome-audio-profiles-properties though05:47
seb128mdz: got my mail with the meeting log for evince ?05:48
mdzseb128: I just woke up05:48
mdzoh, yes, that was a few days ago05:48
seb128that's from saturday :)05:48
=== lamont curses at blender for undefining HOME
mdzseb128: I feel the same as in my first email on the subject; I think it would be a mistake to make this change a few weeks before release05:48
mdzdid we not have evince before preview?  I was not aware of it05:49
seb128can we consider moving it on the CD ?05:49
seb128it's in universe for some weels05:49
seb128weeks even05:49
seb128Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:05:04 +000005:50
seb128that's 0.1.0 upload for hoary05:50
thullyseb128: another issue (albeit low priority) why are the GNOME systray applets locked by default?  This makes it harder to customize.05:50
seb128thully: so you don't drop them by mistake ... there is some bugs in gnome and ubuntu bugzillas about this, not sure about it05:51
seb128you can read the discussions and comment05:51
thullyOK - I'll close this one05:51
seb128[Bug 4267]   New: main menu should be locked by default and locking should mean undeleteable05:52
fabbioneis there anybody working on l-r-m ?05:52
thullythom: did you see my ACPI bugs - I reported a new one recently suggesting that PPP connections be terminated on suspend05:52
=== Zaratum [~s911@ejt47.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
thomthully: yes, i saw them. 05:54
thullycced to mjg5905:54
thullyseb128: also, 474905:57
seb128I don't have the issue, and I've no idea on it. Need some debugging work, but not a big issue and we don't have a lot of dups for it 05:59
seb128ie: low priority, will wait05:59
mdzthully: I told you before that it really isn't necessary (and in fact it's counter-productive) to point out your bug reports on IRC05:59
=== Crushed_Cigar [~zinc@adsl-68-126-42-185.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionanyone here know how to get e-acute on a Swedish keyboard?06:00
Kamionin the console?06:01
Kamionapparently it's possible (#7593), just don't know how06:01
thullyOK - sorry about that, there are just a few that have been floating around for months and I'd like to get that bug count down06:02
mdzthully: we are very close to release, and our focus is on high-impact bugs.  Please don't distract developers from those.  It is unavoidable that there will be bugs remaining in the release, as our resources are finite06:03
Kamionin any reasonably long-lived project, you'll find bugs that have been open for nearly the lifetime of the project06:03
seb128who handles dbus bugs ?06:05
seb128daniels or pitti  ?06:05
thullysorry - I'm just getting into a bit of an "oh no, if these bugs don't get fixed in Hoary..." frenzy06:05
pittiseb128: I don't have much knowledge about dbus... (but I can learn)06:06
seb128pitti: that's not a real dbus issue, https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/6282 ... according the redhat bug that's just an option to pass06:07
pittiseb128: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=104393&action=view looks easy enough, worth a try06:09
seb128pitti: yep, that's why I'm looking for the dbus maintainer :)06:10
=== pitti_ [~pitti@box79162.elkhouse.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128dbus-1-utils: /etc/X11/Xsession.d/75dbus-1-utils_dbus-launch06:12
seb128if [ -n "$STARTDBUS" ] ; then06:12
seb128  STARTUP="$DBUSLAUNCH --exit-with-session $STARTUP"06:12
pitti_so --exit-with-sesion doesn't work06:12
seb128the package already uses it06:12
thullyReprioritizing my bugs right now - less normal bugs, more minor bugs now06:12
thullyI guess if I want bug-free, I can always use debian stable :)06:13
=== tritium [~rimbert@12-202-90-180.client.insightBB.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbionethully: debian stable is not bug free at all :-)06:13
thully(except for the factthat I don't even know if it would BOOT on my 6-month old laptop)06:13
svenlfabbione: BTW, how comes ubuntu carries mplayer and not debian ? 06:13
thullywell, pretty close to bug-free...06:14
mdzKamion: do you recall, we had a brief conversation about failing the CD build process if the kernel ABI didn't match between the live fs and d-i06:14
mdzKamion: how much work would that be to implement?06:14
thomthully: not even; it was free from release *critical* bugs06:14
mdzKamion: it looks like we're not finished with ABI changes yet06:14
sivangseb128: what does N_("string") mean for gettext?06:14
mdzthully: I can say with absolute confidence that Debian stable has more bugs than Hoary06:14
mdzHoary main anyway06:15
fabbionesvenl: mplayer is not in main06:15
fabbionesvenl: it's in multiverse06:15
pitti_mdz: since you asked for notification, all my bugs are well-classified (major/normal)06:15
svenlfabbione: well, its not in non-free in debian too, so ...06:15
Kamionmdz: yeah, it's still on my list ... haven't investigated yet06:15
fabbionesvenl: but i needed a break from the kernel on saturday.. so i decided to fix mplayer on amd64 and ppc :-)06:15
mdzpitti_: thank you06:15
fabbionesvenl: but PPC hates me06:15
svenlfabbione: ok, can you paste me the url again ? 06:16
=== ph [~ph@pD9E1026C.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbionesvenl: sure06:16
svenlfabbione: BTW, maybe you can help me out on kernel issues.06:16
fabbionesvenl: http://people.ubuntu.com/~lamont/buildLogs/m/mplayer/1:1.0-pre6-0.3ubuntu6/06:16
svenlfabbione: i am doing a pci_find_device in arch_initcall(mv643xx_eth_add_pds);06:16
fabbionesvenl: i think so.. 06:16
svenlbut it seems it is too early to do pci_find_device, as the pci tree is empty there.06:16
fabbionesvenl: what source are you using? so i can look up with you06:16
mdzKamion: perhaps a simpler short-term solution would be to finagle the scheduling so that we don't build CDs between live_fs_build and d_i_byhand06:17
=== egli [~egli@gate.wyona.com] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Leaving"]
Kamionmdz: sure, can do06:17
mdzKamion: does elmo generally do that at the same time of day?06:17
mdz(if not, perhaps we could ask that he do so)06:17
svenlin the debian svn repo kernel/kernel/source/kernel-source-2.6.11-2.6.11/debian/patches/powerpc-mv643xx-eth-pegasos.dpatch06:17
sivangseb128: btw, where we talking about bug #7370 ? (the meta bug for translation)06:17
fabbionesvenl: ok. i need to check it out.. gimme a few secs06:18
Kamionmdz: um; I was thinking more of me disabling the cron job while the ABI is known to be in transition06:18
svenlfabbione: maybe let's move to debian-kernel for that, altough i am preparing this for an upstream upload and patch for ubuntu's 2.6.10 kernel.06:18
fabbionesvenl: or #u-k :-)06:18
fabbioneit doesn't matter for me06:18
fabbionei am not THAT formal06:19
fabbionesince we sync patches between each other06:19
Kamionmdz: fiddling the scheduling wouldn't help anyway if nobody remembers to upload debian-installer to account for the ABI change, and since I generally take care of that anyway ...06:19
seb128sivang: read the bug, if that matches what you are looking for add a comment06:20
seb128I'm busy06:20
sivangseb128: sorry, thx06:20
mjg59thully: Please don't arbitrarily change the severity of bugs06:24
thullyit's not arbirtrary - I'm reprioritizing some bugs06:24
mjg59If the maintainer hasn't changed the priority when you submitted the bug, and if nothing else has changed, please don't change them06:25
thullyOK - I just was thinking that this was a major issue - but I forgot suspend is going to be disabled bydefault in Hoary06:26
fabbionethully: the priority/severity of a bug is: 1) at submission time to give an idea to the maintainer about the impact of the problem 2) after that it is maintainer discrection to prioritize/downgrade/upgrade severities06:27
fabbionethe submitter and the maintainer can agree on changing prio/severity06:27
fabbionefailing to agree is NOT good06:28
thullyOK - didn't know that06:28
fabbioneas much as it is to inflate randomically the severity06:28
thullyIs it ok to downgrade your own bugs?06:28
fabbionedowngrade is generally ok, given a very good explanation06:28
thomthully: please don't private message me; if you need to update a bug, please do so on the bug06:28
enricoWho should I ask for removal of ubuntu-doc-faqguide from Hoary06:30
=== froud [~froud@ndn-165-131-237.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Crushed_Cigar [~zinc@adsl-68-126-42-185.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
thullySorry for the breaches of netiquette - I'm still a bit inexperienced w/dealing with bugzilla bugs and releases.  Also, there is a part of me which gets overexcited when a release is approaching.06:37
=== GheRivero [~ghe@hiscpdprx01.upsa.es] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokomdz: first OOo2 build, based on the m79 milestone (beta2) succeeded, help files build with the build process, java components don't work yet06:37
Kamionenrico: elmo06:37
thullymjg59: how's ACPI looking for Hoary?  did you get the cc on the PPP w/suspend bug?06:38
enricoKamion: thanks.  Same as for removal of that from the Desktop seed?06:38
Kamionenrico: what seed's it in at the moment?06:38
enrico(last docteam meeting we decided not to ship it with hoary)06:38
enricoKamion: it should be in the desktop seed (if it's in a seed)06:38
Kamionenrico: generally if it's taken out of a seed, elmo will remove it semi-automatically06:39
mdzdoko: fantastic!  available for i386, powerpc and amd64?06:39
Kamionso after seed removal, there's no need to hassle him directly unless it's urgent06:39
enricoKamion: ok, no, it's not urgend.  Who should I ask for seed removal?06:39
dokoheh, I said, build, not package ... ;) we need some infrastructure updates ...06:39
Simirahi enrico. What's up?06:40
enricoSimira: hi!06:40
enricoSimira: just normal administration :)06:40
Simiraenrico: lot's, then, eh? :)06:40
enricoSimira: :)06:41
enricoSimira: I'm mainly busy with my main work these days06:41
Simiraenrico: for a change? :)06:41
enricoBut now, as soon as Kamion tells me about removing ubuntu-docs-faqguide from the desktop seed, I'll go and take a shower06:41
enricoKamion: you're now responsible for my personal hygiene :)06:42
=== sabdfl [~mark@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokogcc-3.4 needs an update to the recent branch from the CVS, as well as gcc-4.0. both look uncritical to me, but who knows. I'd like to get a i386 chroot, where these updates can be installed (and built faster than on my current i386 build machine).06:42
pitti_doko: hoary-i386 on concordia has the gcc dependencies06:43
Simiraenrico: scary :p I'm planning to translate the installer to Norwegian, starting to look at it today.06:43
=== enrico gives up the seed challenge and goes for the shower
Kamionenrico: do you not have a chinstrap account?06:43
enricoKamion: no, I don't.06:44
Kamionoh, ok06:44
Kamionenrico: I'll do it now06:44
enricoKamion: ok, thanks a lot!06:44
=== enrico jumps happy towards the shower
=== Kamion curses lack of debconf-copydb in d-i
=== azeem [~mbanck@socks-out.lrz-muenchen.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokopitti: which dependencies?06:48
svenlfabbione: would that mplayer build also on my debian box ? 07:06
=== bluefoxicy [~bluefox@pcp484971pcs.whtmrs01.md.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
bluefoxicyopenoffice.org 1.1.3 seems to bitch about 20-30 times on saving an ooimpress file the first time each load, then works fine07:06
bluefoxicyso it's like07:07
fabbionesvenl: i think it should yes07:07
fabbioneotherwise you can just do it in a chroot07:07
svenlfabbione: COOL.07:07
svenlfabbione: mmm, caps went on for some obscure reason.07:07
bluefoxicynew presentation or open, edit, save, OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK saving..., edit, save, edit, save, close, exit, ooimpress, open, edit, save, OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK, saving..., edit, save...07:07
=== HSoft [~chatzilla@ruitenbeek.demon.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
bluefoxicyAnd as stated before, ooimpress for 1.9.74 is busted and 1.9.79 has the fix, so the OOo2 betas need updating  badly.07:08
bluefoxicyof course those are just universe07:09
bluefoxicy(NO workaround for 1.9.74)07:09
bluefoxicyis OOo2 planned for Hoary still if it makes it out?07:11
=== eruin [~eruin@eruin.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
bluefoxicythe UI is much better than that aweful hell that is OOo07:11
Kamion17:37 < doko> mdz: first OOo2 build, based on the m79 milestone (beta2) succeeded, help files build with the build process, java components don't work yet07:11
bluefoxicyKamion:  thanks.07:12
Kamionfolks are working on it; if it makes it then it may still be a candidate for Hoary07:12
bluefoxicy*nod* I still hate the OOWriter UI, but it has integrated windows instead of junk floating around i.e. to pick styles from, so it's "better"07:13
bluefoxicyso that would be good07:13
mdzdoko: email admins to get an account on the porting box07:20
mdzdoko: CC me07:20
bluefoxicyKamion:  I removed oowriter, oocalc, oodraw, but I can't seem to remove openoffice.org2 base07:21
bluefoxicyI don't need a database editor07:21
=== mxpxpod [~bryan@wuw-ojr3gmca.dybb.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
KamionI'm sorry I can't help you07:23
bluefoxicyno ideas huh.07:23
Kamionwell you specifically asked a guy who has no clue about OOo :)07:23
Kamiondirect questions to the channel unless you really mean that one person ...07:24
bluefoxicywell, uhh, same question, for all :)07:24
crimsunwhy can't you?07:25
pittidoko: build-deps07:25
crimsunsudo aptitude remove openoffice.org2 ?07:25
bluefoxicycrimsun:  can't find it07:27
bluefoxicycrimsun:  I just want to remove the database part07:27
bluefoxicyapt-get remove openoffice.org2-writer07:28
bluefoxicy:) drops oowriter207:28
crimsunI'm guessing -core or -common07:31
Treenaksmjg59: ping?07:32
mjg59Treenaks: Hi07:33
mvocrimsun: I'm catching up with the ML right now. is gdeb fully working again? or are there still problems after my upload (a couple of days ago)?07:35
crimsunmvo: to be honest, dunno - I was just responding to a request to "make it work again"07:38
crimsunmvo: afaik, your upload works fine07:38
mvocrimsun: ok, thanks07:38
crimsunback after lunch07:39
=== Zaratum [~s911@ejf45.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Treenaksmjg59: see #765107:40
Treenaksmjg59: (about the "Panic buttons" I have :))07:40
=== froud is now known as froud-away
mdzjbailey: ping, re: #108007:43
mjg59Treenaks: Oh, christ, that's horrible07:43
=== mvo is away for ~2h
mjg59Treenaks: I think you're going to need a better kernel hacker than me to track that down. 07:44
mjg59Disabling preempt would probably work, but it's not clear to me why it's exploding like that07:44
Treenaksmjg59: ok.. though it does say "es1968_update_hw_volume" somewhere -- which is exactly what it should be doing :)07:45
TreenaksI'll wait for fabbione to read the report & explode ;)07:45
thommjg59: any comment on #7029? is doing a vbetool resume reasonable if we can? or is it likely to explode horrifically most of the time?07:45
mjg59Actually, no, that's probably a driver bug - it's scheduling while it's in an IRQ handler, which is amazingly broken07:45
mjg59thom: Argh. No, that'll explode.07:47
thom'swhat i thought07:47
mdzthom: do you have an ETA for the firefox upload?07:47
=== jon1012 [~jon@AMontsouris-151-1-14-221.w82-123.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
thommdz: wednesday07:48
thommdz: as i said saturday morning, i'm gonna take the opp. to nail down some more bugs while i have the time07:48
mdzthom: it's important to get the new code in as soon as possible if we're going to do it07:49
=== ..[topic/#ubuntu-devel:mdz] : Ubuntu Development | #ubuntu for support and general discussion | #ubuntu-love for getting involved | http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/DeveloperResources | http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HoaryGoals | Kubuntu on #kubuntu-devel | Hoary preview release: http://releases.ubuntu.com/hoary/ | Release Candidate: March 30th
=== ogra [~ogra@p508EADDC.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== morphx [~m0rphx@p83.129.198.3.tisdip.tiscali.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mjg59Treenaks: Ok. I /think/ the msleep()s in the es1968 code are dangerous and shouldn't be there07:54
Treenaksmjg59: I can't reach the laptop now (it's at my parents' place)07:56
mjg59Treenaks: Ok. I think you want to take that function and s/msleep/mdelay/07:58
Treenakswhat's the difference?07:58
mjg59mdelay can be called in IRQ handlers08:00
mjg59msleep says Come back to me in this much time, mdelay says Wait for this much time08:00
Treenaksah ok08:01
=== dholbac1 is now known as dholbach
=== Loevborg [~loevborg@d37-55.dip.isp-service.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mdke [~matt@mdke.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mdke [~matt@mdke.user] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Leaving"]
mdzdoko: by admins, I meant admins@admins08:11
Treenaksmjg59: vanilla 2.6.11 has the msleep(1) calls commented out..08:12
mdzdoko: elmo doesn't seem to be around right now; is it impossible for you to do the work on your local machine?  it is important to get it into the archive soon08:12
=== r0ver [~rover@22-246-114-200.fibertel.com.ar] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sm [~simon@lsanca1-ar5-4-60-052-182.lsanca1.dsl-verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mjg59Treenaks: Haha08:14
mjg59Treenaks: Does the Ubuntu 2.6.11 kernel work?08:14
dokomdz: I continue, but a OOo build takes 9hours + 1/2 for every language08:15
mjg59(Oh, though it's not actually 2.6.11, so it may not have that code...)08:15
Treenaksmjg59: can't test now08:15
mjg59Treenaks: Ok, could you add that to the bug report?08:15
mdzdoko: how much of that is source code?  are you using ccache?08:15
Treenaksmjg59: done already :)08:16
dokomdz: ccache doesn't help yet, if I rebuild gcc08:16
mdzdoko: rebuild gcc?08:16
mdzbetween oo.o builds?08:16
bluefoxicyAm I the only one who has a koffice workspace icon in his gnome menu?08:17
=== jk_ [~jochem@jkossen.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokosure, to fix ICE's08:17
mdzwonderful, ICEs :-/08:17
mdzI thought you said it built OK?08:17
dokoyes, now :)08:17
bluefoxicy9 hours o.o08:18
bluefoxicydoko:  just curious, what hardware are you using to build that on08:18
dokoathlon 240008:19
=== bluefoxicy has an amd64 2800, OO still takes ungodly long but he can build Xorg or Firefox in 45 minutes
bluefoxicyI got to play with a $6000 machine the other day, it had a $1000 AthlonFX chip in it.  Had to install spyware removal stuff and tons of apps on it.  Unfortunately, $6000 machines are out of the reach of open source projects :/08:21
=== Alessio [~Alessio@host113-4.pool8251.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
bluefoxicythat thing ate SP2 in 8 minutes (it took my uncle's new sempron an hour or two) though.08:21
=== mdz laughs at $6000 machines being out of the reach of open source projects, logs into LInux/390
bluefoxicymdz:  why don't you have an Athlon FX socket 939 with 1G ram that can build gentoo in 1-2 hours then ;)08:23
Treenaksbluefoxicy: all of gentoo?08:24
MithrandirI won't be getting a FX55 since nobody is able to sell them to me :(08:24
Mithrandironly an XP4000+08:24
dredgbluefoxicy: what? then the compile text will scroll too fast for me to learn anything from08:24
dredgthat *is* how people learn linux, right?08:24
Treenaksdredg: partly :)08:24
Treenaksdredg: I learned to debug other people's C code that way :)08:24
dredgTreenaks: oh good. gentoo seems like the best learning distro then08:25
bluefoxicyTreenaks: on my 2800+ amd64 I build gentoo in 10 hours, with gnome, abiword, gnumeric, xchat, gaim, xmms, xorg, firefox, gqview, thunderbird, gtk-gnutella, gimp, dia, vim, and vorbis tools in 10 hours08:25
bluefoxicyit took 29 hours fastest clock-in on my 1.8GHz barton core 2400+ (the 2800+ clawhammer is 1.8G)08:26
bluefoxicyit cost me almost exactly $255 to upgrade XD08:26
=== dredg doesn't even know what spec desktop he has
=== jk [~jochem@jkossen.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dredgi know it has 512M ram, and i know it's an AMD something chip...08:27
bluefoxicybut yeah, 9 hours is too much time to waste to build something you're not 100% sure is gonna build08:27
bluefoxicydebugging could take weeks/months08:27
Treenaksdredg: reading debian-bugs-dist helps too :)08:27
dredgbut i really stopped paying attention to spec after machines were just good enough (tm)08:28
=== bluefoxicy wonders htf long it would take him to build OO, probably like 5 hours, not much better :/
dredgTreenaks: sounds like a lot of effort. can i not just install gentoo and then tell eveyone that i'm leet?08:28
bluefoxicydredg:  install Hardened Gentoo ;)08:29
Treenaksdredg: if you can keep up with debian-bugs-dist, you're even more leet :)08:29
zulno you cant its not aloud08:29
dredgbluefoxicy: nah, i'm only kidding. i like actually using my computers :)08:29
=== maskie [~maskie@196-30-108-52.uudial.uunet.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
bluefoxicyso do I :p08:29
dredgTreenaks: there aren't enough hours in the day08:29
Treenaksdredg: exactvly, and you'll know C by the time you catch up :P08:30
bluefoxicydredg:  I just decided it was time to expand out.  I'm still not satisfied with ubuntu's security but I'm interested in seeing how it progresses.08:30
dredgTreenaks: technically, i already know C *shrug* it's just been about 7 years since i used it is all :)08:30
bluefoxicy(if you didn't figure out already, I like running high-high-high security, just as a point of properness; I'm not really at risk of attacks)08:31
dredgbluefoxicy: what's wrong with ubuntu's security? how does spending time rebuilding apps with patches and then rebuilding everything that depends on them make you more secure?08:31
zuldredg: well you are always down for one :)08:32
bluefoxicydredg:  I ran with a PIE base, ProPolice, and PaX/GrSecurity.  The Hardened Gentoo guys put a lot of effort into their work ;)08:32
dredgzul: :)08:32
dredgbluefoxicy: did you audit this yourself?08:32
=== jlj [~agp@host-81-191-64-79.bluecom.no] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dredgbluefoxicy: i'm not starting a religious war here, i'm just cusrious08:33
dredgcurious too08:33
bluefoxicydredg:  Overall I think you could run that on like, a 486 without noticing any slowdown; definitely no administrative or user end learning curve increase08:33
bluefoxicythough mostp eople look at PIE or SSP or PaX and go "OMFG OVERHEAD" like they're constantly bumping 100% CPU or something08:33
dredgand didn't PaX/grsec have a bunch of massive holes in it recently?08:33
bluefoxicyPaX had a massive VMA mirroring bug that created a definite local root exploit, but it was fixed08:34
bluefoxicyhowever, that was implementation08:34
bluefoxicythe design was not compromised; the concept of VMA mirroring is not inherantly insecure, best proven by pointing out that the bug was fixed.08:34
dredgfixing a bug does not prove the inherent security of something.08:35
bluefoxicy(in the same way that passwords are not inherantly insecure; but bob wrote his on his monitor with a sharpie, which was bad)08:35
bluefoxicydredg: no, it definitely does not; but there is nothing that indicates that vma mirroring is inherantly insecure08:35
bluefoxicyat least not any more insecure than the basic paging logic of the x86 CPU itself is.08:36
zulguys you might want to take this somewhere else08:36
bluefoxicydt was a bug in the way he was unmapping pages; basicalyl you could unmap a page without having it cleaned up, and have it mapped into another application as-is, thus you could inject code08:36
dredgnah, i'm done now08:36
bluefoxicyheh, yeah.08:36
dredgi was just curious. i didn't expect a story08:36
bluefoxicyI talk a lot :)08:36
=== Goshawk [~Goshawk@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mdzwho here uses irssi?08:59
mdz-> https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=689308:59
Kamionbut my irssi runs on a woody box ...09:00
=== eruin [~eruin@eruin.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionmdz: I don't see that problem in woody, even. I suppose it *could* have regressed ...09:00
mdzKamion: irssi-text is a console program, right?  I wonder if they're running it on the bare console and it's a consolefont problem09:01
helixask them what term_type is set to09:01
helixit needs to be set to utf809:01
=== Kamion_ [~cjwatson@host81-153-126-219.range81-153.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mdzhelix: thanks09:02
helixthere are lots of places for it to screw up though09:03
helixif they use it in screen, for example09:03
mdzyeah, you need to tweak another knob in screen to make it vaguely utf8-aware, right?09:03
KamionC-a :utf8 on # works for me09:04
Kamionalthough I also have 'defutf8 on' in ~/.screenrc09:04
[Clint] or :utf8 on on09:04
thomyep; or run screen with -U09:04
[Clint] depending09:04
Kamionagain, that's on woody09:04
thommy screen/irssi is on freebsd, so i also can't confirm either way09:04
=== thom_ [~thom@retribution.clearairturbulence.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionenrico: you said both ubuntu-doc-faqguide and ubuntu-docs-faqguide earlier; the only similar package I can find is ubuntu-faqguide. Confirm?09:05
[Clint] my screen/irssi is on openbsd, so it's inherently more secure09:06
thomok, that musical note showed fine running it in console on hoary09:06
helix[Clint] : heh09:07
=== Goshawk [~Goshawk@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
helixmdz: yeah, there are several ways to make it use utf8 (screen)09:07
thom[Clint] : :rolls eyes:09:07
[Clint] lack of locales is fun09:08
=== GheRivero [~ghe@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== azeem [~mbanck@ppp-82-135-10-52.mnet-online.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Crushed_Cigar [~zinc@adsl-68-126-42-185.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti [~martin@dialin-212-144-019-060.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittisivang: I'm back (network outage, modem now); any news?09:14
mdzfabbione: https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=758609:16
mdzfabbione: I'm closing as universe, but FYI09:16
mdzKamion: what's your feeling on #4271?09:18
ograoh, gpm is in universe ? has it ever been there ?09:23
=== ogra thinks this should be in main, easily solves X issues with serial mice
mdzogra: the gpm source package is in main, but the gpm binary package is in universe09:24
ograah, k09:25
mdzserial mice are better dealt with through the kernel input layer; that is how we unify ps/2 and usb09:25
mdzogra: since you're here, hwdb status? ;-)09:25
ografound a process to handle the sound and network device names, will upload the changes after my hacking session tonight09:26
ograthe send part now has a check for the server and will throw a "no server found message" so we wont recieve bugs about that (i hope)09:27
ograwhich means i can start improvement and implement the changes we talked about tomorrow :)09:29
HiddenWolfogra: tomorrow? :P09:31
ograwith a little luck its all done by next weekend....09:31
HiddenWolfogra: your grammar is seriously messy. ;)09:31
ograyup, didnt sleep tonight, had a very hard day cleaning my last stuff with my company (they will pay me until end of month but i dont have to work for them anymore)09:32
ograso please forgive my broken grammar, will be better tomorrow again :)09:34
Mithrandirmdz: if there is a package in NEW in Debian which I would very much like in Ubuntu (even though just universe), is there any way to get it?09:35
mdzMithrandir: you can simply upload it, assuming you can get a copy from elsewhere09:36
Mithrandirmdz: ok, I'll do that, then.09:36
Mithrandirjust a normal upload, no ubuntu1 revision?09:37
mdzogra: it sounds like once you have the above fixes packaged, we can add it to desktop09:37
mdzogra: we need to do that as soon as possible to get more testing; when can you have that package uploaded?09:37
HiddenWolfogra: you're forgiven09:38
mdzMithrandir: in order to do it without the diff and dsc being different, you need to craft a .changes by hand or semi-byhand09:38
Mithrandirmdz: change the distribution, you mean?09:38
ograas is said above, the send part and device name part is in tomorrow, the additional changes will take a day extra09:38
Mithrandiror anything else?09:38
mdzMithrandir: if you have a .changes available, you can just change the distribution, yes09:38
mdzand re-sign if necessary09:38
Mithrandir(it's mcelog, which is used for decoding machine check exceptions; fairly useful for amd64 stuff)09:39
bluefoxicydredg:  http://usrbac.sourceforge.net/misc/sec_presentation.sxi09:46
=== ficusplanet [~brad@12-216-228-198.client.mchsi.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiamu: btw, does kdeedu contain this setuid program (fliccd) or did you already remove this?09:48
ficusplanetIn hoary's final release, will gnome-app-install include apps from universe (if universe if enabled)?  The current selection seems to skimpy to be useful.09:49
amupitti: was not set :) 09:50
pittiamu: relieving, thanks :-)09:50
amupitti: thanks for reminding me, i didnt check it in the new version :) 09:51
=== lamont heads off to better bandwidth. Back online shortly
mdzjbailey: ayt?09:54
jbaileymdz: Yup!09:55
mdzficusplanet: the selection is small for the very reason that a complete list would be useless09:55
mdzjbailey: how is #1080 coming?09:55
ficusplanetmdz, I understand that a complete list wouldn't be good.  But I think it would be reasonable to include popular software like muine and rhythmbox in the list.09:56
bluefoxicysince when does mono work09:56
jbaileymdz: Alright.  I've got the xmlrpc stuff into libsoup now, and it works well.  I'm organising my pieces into a libbugzilla thing so that it doesn't get too ugly inside.09:57
jbaileymdz: I've submitted the bugzilla patch upstream to them too, so that it's there.09:57
mdzjbailey: do you have an ETA?  RC is getting awfully close09:57
ficusplanetbluefoxicy, I've been using muine since it was released, and it's worked practically flawlessly.09:57
mdzficusplanet: yes, rhythmbox should definitely be there, and that will be added09:57
mdzficusplanet: but we don't plan to add unsupported packages to that list09:57
ficusplanetmdz, OK.  Thanks for the info.09:58
seb128jbailey: with the xml-rpc stuff we will get all the bug buddy bugs in bugzilla.ubuntu.com ?09:58
jbaileymdz: I keep wanting to say that it'll be right there, and then I keep hitting stupid stumbling blocks.  I'm also trying to make sure that I service the other bugs in my set too.09:58
jbaileyseb128: Yes.09:58
seb128I'm wondering how we will handle the GNOME bugs09:59
jbaileyIn what way?09:59
mdzwell, for one, we have no way to contact the submitter for more information :-/10:00
mdzseb128: I think we should probably categorize them somehow10:00
mdzthey will only be useful in order to see common crashes and things like that10:00
seb128yeah, but according to upstream that's a lot10:00
=== nasdaq|away [~sdfsdfs@tkp-ip-nas-1-p215.telkom-ipnet.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mdzseb128: we can't simply discard the reports; this apparently makes users upset :-)10:03
mdzseb128: if we get a huge number of bugs, we can do some automation to make it manageable10:03
seb128I'm not saying that we should not10:03
=== seb128 [~seb128@ANancy-151-1-8-113.w83-194.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128hum, wrong shortkey :p10:04
seb128I'm not saying that we should not do it10:04
seb128that's just that's not easy to keep with the bug flood atm10:04
seb128with bug-buddy that'll get funny to handle10:05
=== Nafallo [~nafallo@nafallo.user] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Nafallomdz: ping?10:14
Nafallomdz: nm ;-)10:15
mdzseb128: we can auto-assign all of the bug-buddy bugs to a special address or something, if necessary10:16
seb128isn't it a plan to make a gnome-bugs-list or something ?10:16
Nafallomdz: anything more than the output of locale for #6894?10:17
jbaileymdz: Hey, you mentioned having an amd64, right?10:17
=== koke [~koke@rm-001-26.serve.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mvo [~egon@ip181.135.1511I-CUD12K-01.ish.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dholbachi'm packaging bakery2.3, which had the 3 binary packages libbakery-2.3-{common,dev,9}, now ABI broke and i'll have libbakery-2.3-{common,dev,12} around, do i have to Replace: or Conflicts: anything?10:26
crimsunlibbakery-2.3-12 needs to Conflicts: libbakery-2.3-910:27
pittidholbach: no, it seems to have a new SONAME, so it should be okay10:27
crimsunoh, it has a new soname completely? nevermind.10:27
pittidholbach: however, please make sure that the *.so file actually has the SONAME in its name :-)10:28
pittihuh, why?10:28
pittithe two libraries can be installed in parallel10:29
mdzjbailey: I have local access to i386, powerpc and amd6410:29
Mithrandirdholbach: you don't need to conflict or replace or anything if you don't have file overlaps.10:29
dholbachpitti: you're right... they are10:29
mdzNafallo: please keep bug communication in bugzilla; I have a few hundred more bugs to deal with and cannot discuss them all interactively on IRC10:29
dholbachMithrandir: ack10:29
jbaileymdz: Can I get you to test something for me a bit later?  I have a sable bug that claims exec stack troubles that I can't reproduce.  But it was reported on amd64 and I don't have access to one at all.10:29
mdzjbailey: ok10:29
mdzjbailey: there are also several other people in here (probably less busy) who could help10:30
Nafallomdz: oki. I already sent it :-).10:30
=== Zaratum [~s911@eiu147.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
crimsundholbach: right, hence my "nevermind" :-)10:30
dholbachthanks pitta, Mithrandir, crimsun  :-)10:32
Mithrandirhiya dholbach10:32
=== lamont [~lamont@mix.mmjgroup.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lamont_r [~lamont@phantom.acmeps.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
enricoKamion: yes, ubuntu-faqguide10:46
=== bluefoxicy [~bluefox@pcp484971pcs.whtmrs01.md.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== metallikop is now known as kop|gone
=== Cym [~zero@dialup-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittimdz: may I break libc again for hoary?10:59
=== thierry [~t@modemcable107.54-202-24.mc.videotron.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittimdz: I optimized the locale lookup in libc6 "a bit" (factor 35), and the patch is easy11:02
=== bluefoxicy [~bluefox@pcp484971pcs.whtmrs01.md.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mdzpitti: can I see the patch?11:16
pittimdz: http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/glibc-lookup.patch11:17
pittimdz: it also fixes install-language-locales, I want to do this in one upload11:18
ograseb128 ?11:18
pittimdz: the previous version sorted the file, which scrambled comments and other stuff (people complained about this)11:18
pittimdz: however, I'm still testing the new libc currently11:18
seb128ogra: here11:19
ograseb128, could you have a look here ? i think the guy is wrong, seems he advises to add vfolders: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/GnomeMenuEditingHowTo11:19
ograseb128, i understodd they dropped them completely, or are there remainig bits ?11:20
seb128he describes the warty menu system11:21
ograyup, thats what i thought, sigh....11:21
ograi posted about 10 times the link to the f.d.o standards to the list, nobody seems to read me :(11:22
ograseb128, thanks for the help, i'll care for it further11:22
=== sabdfl [~mark@] has left #ubuntu-devel []
smdoh.. guess I shouldn't have forwarded that link just now11:24
ograsm: heh, you are simon ?11:25
smyup, hi11:25
ograsm, i'm just replying :)11:25
=== tritium [~rimbert@12-202-90-180.client.insightBB.com] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Leaving"]
pittimdz: please forget the patch for now, it doesn't work correctly11:31
mdzpitti: ok11:31
=== Arrogance [~aks@CPE0050ba556e4b-CM001225423850.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mpt_switzerland [~mpt@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
_d4vidhi all11:38
=== abelli [~user@adsl-98-62.38-151.net24.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dholbachseb128: gtkmm2.4-2.6.1 on http://ubuntu.gplan.info/mm  ;-P11:46
=== jordi [~jordi@115.Red-213-96-69.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== carlos [~carlos@69.Red-80-33-181.pooles.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!