pittijmg: old Debian tradition, the 'dak' suite for archive administration consists of some dozens of girls :)12:02
slomo__sivang: until.... now ;) please write me a mail or ping me tomorrow12:02
sfllawDebian likes naming stuff after shiny things.12:03
=== Arrogance [n=aks@ottawa-hs-209-217-119-69.d-ip.magma.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sivangjmg: they're all elmo's girl freinds ;-)12:04
sivangslomo__: okay, sure, good night :)12:04
=== Tonio_ [n=tonio@tonio.planetemu.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Amaranth_ [n=amaranth@ubuntu/member/amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Amaranth_ [n=amaranth@ubuntu/member/amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Tonio_ [n=tonio@tonio.planetemu.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Amaranth_ [n=amaranth@ubuntu/member/amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== didymo [n=ashley@CPE-61-9-197-223.nsw.bigpond.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Amaranth [n=amaranth@ubuntu/member/amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Amaranth [n=amaranth@ubuntu/member/amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Lure [n=lure@clj46-234.dial-up.arnes.si] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zul [n=chuck@ubuntu/member/zul] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mdkecan you guys encrypt emails in evolution? It breaks for me and gpg seems to work ok12:37
ogramdke, do you have any zombie processes of gpg around ? 12:38
ograsometimes gpg dies below evo 12:38
mdkeah, now it's working12:38
mdkehow odd12:39
ogra(and leaves a lock file in ~/.gnupg)12:39
=== OddAbe19 [n=OddAbe19@c-68-82-230-35.hsd1.pa.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sfllaw [i=sfllaw@debian/developer/coleSLAW] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jmgwhat is required to be able to modify specs on launchpad?12:55
jmgSorry, you don't have permission to access this page.12:55
jmgneed to be an Ubuntu Member?12:55
=== KOnsumer [n=KOnsumer@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mdkejmg, you edit the underlying wiki page01:04
=== robertj_ [n=robertj@66-188-77-153.dhcp.athn.ga.charter.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jmgmdke: FooDraft?01:05
jmgmdke: it's not attached to a wiki page yet01:05
jmgmdke: I wanted to attach it01:06
mdkeoh I see what you mean01:06
jmgmdke: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenEnabledKernelDraft01:06
mdkeI guess you have to be the spec registrant, but asking in #launchpad may tell you more01:07
mdkewhat is the spec address?01:07
pyginight people01:07
mdkeoh, i see it, sorry01:07
jmgmdke: is it a good spec?01:09
mdkejmg, I wouldn't know, I'm afraid01:10
Seveasare dependencies on "Priority: required" packages needed?01:14
sivangnight all01:24
=== OddAbe19 [n=OddAbe19@c-68-82-230-35.hsd1.pa.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== carlos [n=carlos@105.Red-81-34-77.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Ex-Chat"]
mdkeRiddell, around?01:44
=== sfeehan [n=sfeehan@pool-71-254-4-163.burl.east.verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== farruinn [n=farruinn@user-uinj0k6.dialup.mindspring.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Riddellmdke: hi01:54
=== Kyral [n=kyral@ubuntu/member/kyral] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mdkeRiddell, hiya. About those 3 things I mailed you: I was thinking I will have some time to look at them this weekend01:56
mdkeRiddell, did you have any thoughts on where to put translations on the filesystem?01:57
Riddellmdke: I've not had time to look at it.  anywhere that the help ioslave can find them is good02:01
mdkeRiddell, I'll do some tests02:02
mdkegood night02:03
=== theliz48_ [n=prout@mou06-1-82-246-4-197.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Burgundavia [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== nikolas_ is now known as _nicolas
=== freeflying [n=freeflyi@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== alexr [n=shura@adsl-71-134-224-232.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
alexrMithrandir: Hi there, I have a question for you regarding dapper live cd02:34
alexrOr maybe anybody else knows:02:35
alexris the squashfs filesystem packaged with version2 of the driver going to be understood by the kernel?02:35
alexrIn other words, the dapper kernel: what squashfs driver does it have?02:36
alexrcrimsun: thanks!02:37
alexrcrimsun: do I get it correctly that in dapper there's no need for install CD?02:41
alexrExcept specialized server and OEM installs.02:41
crimsundepends whether you want a gui installer or the traditional curses-based one02:42
alexrLet me ask it this way then: for a computer-illiterate user, is Live CD enough to fully install the system?02:43
alexrIs there any added value in the Install CD?02:43
crimsunthe live cd would be preferable for such a user.02:44
alexrDoes install CD contain more packages than what can be installed from live?02:44
crimsunI don't know the packages seeded off the top of my head.02:45
crimsunYou will want to use the live cd for that class of Ubuntu users, however.02:45
alexrBut, seeded or not, the install cd does contain more packages than what's on the live, doesn't it?02:49
crimsunwell, not knowing what's seeded for both makes it difficult to answer that. Someone else knows (but is likely asleep).02:49
=== Burgundavia_ [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== stratus [n=stratus@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== slomo_ [n=slomo@ubuntu/member/slomo] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== alexr [n=shura@adsl-71-134-224-232.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== FunnyLookinHat [n=FunnyLoo@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== bddebian [n=bdefrees@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
bddebianHeya folks03:24
jmghi bddebian 03:39
bddebianHello jmg, welshbyte03:48
=== Arr0gance [n=aks@ottawa-hs-64-26-148-191.d-ip.magma.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jmghmm, network-manager is trying to be smart but sucking.03:58
FunnyLookinHatjmg, what do you mean?04:00
=== Gman is now known as GmanAFK
jmginvoke-rc.d networking start will bring up the interfaces successfuly, but network-manager then deconfigures my bridge and runs dhcp on my other nic04:00
jmgFunnyLookinHat: i think it just cant handle bridges04:00
jmgFunnyLookinHat: upshot is, whenever i boot into ubuntu, i have to dhclient04:01
FunnyLookinHatthat's very weird.  What do you mean by bridges though?  network bridges?04:01
jmgFunnyLookinHat: yeah04:01
FunnyLookinHatvery strange.04:02
FunnyLookinHatreport it as bug yet?04:02
jmgno, im not sure whether its my fault or what.04:02
jmgmii-tool eth1 reports a link when there is none04:03
jmgthat might be what confuses netman04:03
FunnyLookinHatyea, that IS a problem   lol04:03
jmgmy eth1 is a 4 port switch04:04
jmgwith an 8139 chip04:04
FunnyLookinHatyea i have no idea how to configure one of those04:05
bddebianAck, I may have screwed up.  Should merges be subscribed to ubuntu-archive?04:12
=== TomB| [n=ownthebo@ACBC6D9D.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
infinitybddebian: If you mean syncs, yes.04:21
infinitybddebian: We don't do manual merges for you. :)04:21
bddebianinfinity: Why the hell not? ;-P04:22
bddebianWell, I screwed up as usual then :-(04:23
=== Arr0gance is now known as Arrogance
=== ogra [n=ogra@ubuntu/member/ogra] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== TomB| [n=ownthebo@AC8D65F5.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== joelbryan [n=joelbrya@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== TomB| [n=ownthebo@AC8D65F5.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== TomB| [n=ownthebo@AC8D65F5.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== TomB| [n=ownthebo@AC8D65F5.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sfeehan [n=sfeehan@pool-71-254-4-163.burl.east.verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Arr0gance [n=aks@ottawa-hs-64-26-170-160.d-ip.magma.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== TomB| [n=ownthebo@AC8D65F5.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== stub [n=stub@ppp-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== TomB| [n=ownthebo@ACD8A0DC.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== _human_blip_ [n=mike@mike.nelsonbay.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== abelcheung [n=abelcheu@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Kyral [n=kyral@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== _human_blip_ [n=mike@mike.nelsonbay.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== _human_blip_ [n=mike@mike.nelsonbay.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mendred [n=mendred@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== _human_blip_ [n=mike@mike.nelsonbay.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== abelcheung_ [n=abelcheu@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== human_blip [n=mike@mike.nelsonbay.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== kagou [n=kagou@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== r3dick [n=r3dick@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
r3dickHello I was told on ubuntu-forums that I might find the info or the location of the info I need to figure out why after an update I cannot boot into 686 any more.  If this is so what is the correct protocol to ask for help please?06:37
=== mendred [n=mendred@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
r3dickI guess i was wrongly informed please forgive me. 06:42
crimsunonly 2.6.15-21.32-686 ?06:42
crimsunas in 2.6.15-21.32-386 works fine? If so, please migrate to #ubuntu.06:42
=== r3dick [n=r3dick@] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Leaving"]
bddebianmeany :-)06:43
=== mendred [n=mendred@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mendred [n=mendred@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zakame [n=zak@ubuntu/member/zakame] has joined #ubuntu-devel
zakamehi all07:16
=== robitaille [n=daniel@ubuntu/member/robitaille] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== bluefoxicy [n=bluefox@c-68-33-112-13.hsd1.md.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== bluefoxicy [n=bluefox@c-68-33-112-13.hsd1.md.comcast.net] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Ex-Chat"]
=== TomB| [n=ownthebo@ACD8A0DC.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== viviersf [n=cain@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== j^ [n=j@e178014099.adsl.alicedsl.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== TomB| [n=ownthebo@ACD8A0DC.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== highvoltage [n=Jono@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== _TomB [n=ownthebo@ACD8A0DC.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== kagou [n=kagou@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== TomB| [n=ownthebo@ACD8A0DC.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== robitaille [n=daniel@ubuntu/member/robitaille] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== _TomB [n=ownthebo@ACD8A0DC.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== janimo [n=jani@Home03207.cluj.astral.ro] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== HiddenWolf [n=HiddenWo@136.162.dynamic.phpg.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zyga [n=zyga@ubuntu/member/zyga] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Leaving"]
=== _human_blip_ [n=mike@mike.nelsonbay.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== JaneW [n=JaneW@dsl-146-141-13.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti [n=pitti@ubuntu/member/pitti] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiGood morning08:37
janimopitti, morning08:38
pittihi janimo 08:40
jdubpitti: whoa, biggest cups changelog entry EVAR!08:42
=== raphink [n=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== carlos [n=carlos@105.Red-81-34-77.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== freeflying [n=freeflyi@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Lure [n=lure@external-7.hermes.si] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittijdub: :)08:52
pittihey carlos08:52
carlospitti: hi08:52
=== Gloubiboulga [n=gauvain@ubuntu/member/gloubiboulga] has joined #ubuntu-devel
carlospitti: so, could we start doing weekly language packs for dapper?08:53
=== nomed [n=nomed@host19-194.pool8254.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pitticarlos: I think so08:56
carlospitti: today we will get another bunch of .pot files08:56
pitticarlos: I need to fix up a few small things for today's langpacks, but otherwise it should be fairly automatic now08:56
carlosI'm going to plan the move of the script run into production08:56
carlosthat way we don't depend on a mirror08:57
carlospitti: that means the URL to fetch it will change08:57
carlospitti: still need to check how to do it so we have always the same URL08:57
pitticarlos: no problem, just tell me early enough ;)08:57
carlospitti: about breezy and hoary...08:58
carlospitti: I think we should do automatic updates too08:58
carlosI know we are still missing lots of .po files for those from Rosetta...08:58
carlosbut we are going to handle only updates, right?08:58
pitticarlos: right08:58
pitticarlos: we already did it for breezy, that should be fine08:59
pittisimilarly for hoary08:59
carloslet's do the automatic updates for dapper08:59
pitticarlos: so if rosetta only gives us files with strings that were actually changed, it's all fine08:59
jmgits quite hardcore to get to look at this kind of cooperation :)08:59
pittiand it doesn't matter that they are incomplete08:59
carlospitti: we do it already, I just need to start storing the date when latest language pack was exported09:00
carlospitti: and that means that you should not miss any language pack export as I will do exports from previous one (for dapper will not be true until we have the final release)09:00
=== marilize [n=marilize@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
carlosjmg: wonderful, isn't it? ;-)09:01
jmgvery :)09:05
=== TomB| [n=ownthebo@ACD8A0DC.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tdjb [n=tdjb@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== herzi [n=herzi@d023044.adsl.hansenet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittidoko: today's dist-upgrade pulled in oo.o-gtk, but it's installation fails due to file conflicts to ooo-gnome; known?09:10
=== mvo [n=egon@p54A648B2.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
joelbryanhello, will the ideas posted in the SoC page will be the final project that people are going to work on?09:13
robitaillepitti:  is it bug 41251 ?09:15
UbugtuMalone bug 41251 in openoffice.org-amd64 "openoffice.org-gtk has a file conflict with openoffice.org-gnome" [Normal,Unconfirmed]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/4125109:15
=== theliz48__ [n=prout@mou06-1-82-246-4-197.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== poningru [n=poningru@ip68-226-0-76.ga.at.cox.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittirobitaille: indeed, thanks09:16
=== human_blip [n=mike@mike.nelsonbay.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== slomo [n=slomo@ubuntu/member/slomo] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mendred [n=mendred@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mvodoko: do you mind if I upload a new capiutils? 09:28
janimoKamion, do you know why gnome-session ends up on the xubuntu livecd? gdm depends on it but alternately deps on xterm | x-window-manager too09:28
janimoat least xterm should be satistfied since it's in xubuntu-desktop. I saw no other place where gnome-session could be depended upon09:29
Mithrandirjanimo: check with germinate?09:29
janimoMithrandir: does germinate use another dependency algo than apt?09:29
Mithrandirjanimo: I don'09:29
janimodo I need to look in the germinate package ?09:29
Mithrandirt remember09:29
janimomaybe when it comes to alternate depends it just picks differently..09:30
Kamionslomo: wavpack demoted, thanks09:34
dokopitti: amd64?09:35
KamionSeveas: yes, you still have to depend on stuff if it's only Priority: required; you don't have to depend on it if it's also Essential: yes. procps is a classic example where it makes a difference.09:35
dokomvo: no09:35
SeveasKamion, ok thanks - then I can file heaps of bugs about missing lsb-base dependencies 09:36
KamionSeveas: yes, not depending on lsb-base is a bug, although you might find some packages have code to fall back to something else if lsb-base isn't there09:37
Kamionjanimo: germinate's dependency algorithm is different, yes09:38
Kamionjanimo: and alternate dependencies are one place where it sometimes falls down09:38
nomedjanimo: in case you figure that out could you tell me, i' wanted to play  with that me too later .. but just in case it'll be needed09:39
Kamionjanimo: I'm just pulling the xubuntu seeds now to have a look09:39
=== ompaul [n=ompaul@ubuntu/member/ompaul] has joined #ubuntu-devel
janimoKamion, looks like ubuntu-artwork is pulled in too. It is the other package in gdm deps which has alternative depends there09:44
=== dsas [n=dean@host81-158-82-72.range81-158.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pvanhoof [n=pvanhoof@mailhost.newtec.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== doko_ [n=doko@dslb-088-073-098-067.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionhmm, oh, it's not germinate that's at fault here, it's apt :P09:53
Kamionthe live CDs are built by the buildds installing the metapackages09:54
Kamionwhich is worth remembering, since it means that you need to upload metapackages before seed changes have any effect on the live CD build process09:54
janimoKamion: so I need to ./update in meta and upload xubuntu-desktop + live09:55
janimoalthough I only modified the ship seed lately09:56
Kamionit was a general comment, I hadn't looked at your metapackages09:56
Kamionxubuntu-desktop looks OK; I claim an apt bug09:56
Kamionunless there's something more subtle pulling in gnome-session09:56
janimoubuntu-artwork is pulled in too, and has fewer rdepends09:57
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@ubuntu/member/ivoks] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionyou could try debootstrapping a base chroot, apt-get install ubuntu-standard, and then 'apt-get -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=true -s install ubuntu-artwork'09:58
Kamionyou will get metric shedloads of output, but in there somewhere should be what apt was thinking09:58
mvojanimo: please put the output of the problem resolver on a pastebin09:59
janimoKamion, mvo ok will do10:00
=== Znarl [i=znarl@24-207-133-89.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mendred [n=mendred@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
janimodebootstrapping takes some more time10:09
=== lionelp [n=lionel@ip-128.net-82-216-65.rev.numericable.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
janimobut I wonder if it's an apt problem why does it manifest only on the liveCD? as desktop install is ok, gnome-session is not pulled in10:09
Kamionbecause the install CD installs the task (as synthesised in the CD Packages file by cdimage) not the metapackage10:10
Kamiondifferent installation method10:10
=== vuntz__ [n=vuntz@volin.imag.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittidoko_: yes, it's already filed as bug 4125110:13
UbugtuMalone bug 41251 in openoffice.org-amd64 "openoffice.org-gtk has a file conflict with openoffice.org-gnome" [Normal,Confirmed]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/4125110:13
=== Fjodor [n=sune@0x55510b65.adsl.cybercity.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Marticus [n=demart01@12-208-16-243.client.insightBB.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Kagou [n=Kagou@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dholbach [n=daniel@i577B1451.versanet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== theliz48__ [n=prout@mou06-1-82-246-4-197.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sivangmvo: did you have a chance to take a look at malone #40807 ?10:20
UbugtuMalone bug 40807 in gnome-session "Logout window dances around when hovering over Sleep and Hibernate buttons" [Normal,Rejected]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/4080710:20
sivangwrong bug number10:21
sivangmvo: malone #4080210:21
UbugtuMalone bug 40802 in gnome-system-tools "in users-admin user privileges there are 3 modem entries" [Normal,Confirmed]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/4080210:21
mvosivang: no, not yet and probably not this week, too much other stuff10:22
dholbachhey mvo10:22
janimoKamion, mvo : output of apt-get -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=true -s install ubuntu-artwork in debootstrap http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/1291610:23
sivangmvo: okay, can I just then ask you about 24_modem_group_string.patch which changed description of audio group from "Use sounde devices" to "Use serial devices such as Modems and Palm Pilots." , was that intentional? AFAICT this looks like a description bug.10:23
janimoalthough wouldn't gdm or xubuntu-desktop be more useful?10:24
mvosivang: yeah, probably. if you prepare a fix I'm happy to review/upload10:24
sivangmvo: cool, then off I go :-) thanks and sorry for taking your time.10:25
mvojanimo: its not the problemResolvers problem it seem ... it dosn't find any problems to resolve ;)10:25
mvosivang: thank you for fixing it 10:25
janimomvo, ubuntu-artwork has no alternative deps10:27
janimois there where problems appear?10:27
=== theliz48_ [n=prout@mou06-1-82-246-4-197.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mvojanimo: I missed the earlier discussion so I'm not 100% up-to-date. but if apt is suspected for doing the wrong thing, then this is less likely because the problemResolver (who is usually responsible for doing-stuff-wrong) is not run 10:28
janimomvo, it was about why gnome-session and ubuntu-artwork end up in the xubuntu livecd10:28
janimowhen they are dependencies of gdm but have alternatives10:29
janimolike xterm and xubuntu-default-settings respectively10:29
janimoit may not be the gdm dep though10:29
nomedjanimo: i guess you should change xubuntu-live seeds ?10:30
=== crito [n=crito@mach.xs4all.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mvojanimo: so you install xubuntu-desktop in a clean chroot and it pulls in gnome-session and ubuntu-artwork?10:30
nomedit should deps on ubuiquity instead of espresso (?)10:30
janimomvo, no xubuntu-desktop installs fine10:30
janimoit;s just when on the liveCD some other packages show up10:31
janimomvo, actually wait it seems it does in clean chroot10:31
janimoso it may be it's not just the live but a recent change somewhere else10:32
Kamionnomed: merging from the Ubuntu seeds should be sufficient to make that change10:34
Kamionjanimo: yes, as I said above it won't be just the live seed10:34
janimonomed, it's already ubiquity in the seeds10:35
janimobut I need to do a meta upload I guess10:35
Kamionmvo: the buildds that build the live CD filesystems do so by apt-get -y install xubuntu-desktop10:35
Kamionmvo: the install CD uses aptitude -y install ~txubuntu-desktop10:35
nomedjanimo: yes10:35
Kamion(or words to that effect)10:35
Kamionmvo: hence why janimo thinks it's live-CD-only, even though it really isn't10:35
nomedhere apt-get update and apt-cache show xubuntu-live ... espresso is still there10:35
mvoKamion: aptitude with --without-recommends I guess?10:36
Kamionmvo: yeah10:36
janimonomed, on the livecd?10:36
mvoit may be a difference in the problemresolver then, aptitude nowdays (0.4.x) uses its own implementation10:36
nomedjanimo: that would fix even the missing install icon10:36
=== theliz48 [n=prout@mou06-1-82-246-4-197.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
nomedjanimo: no 10:37
Kamionmvo: the difference is that apt-get is given the metapackage while aptitude is given the task10:37
janimoKamion, so does any of these install recommends besides depends?10:38
Kamionmvo: either way, apt-get is apparently selecting the first one of gdm's alternate dependency on gnome-session | ... | xterm, even though xterm is also a dependency of xubuntu-desktop and so was going to be pulled in anyway; so it looks like it's going depth-first rather than breadth-first, or something10:38
mvoright (/me should look before typeing)10:38
Kamionjanimo: no10:38
Kamionprobably kind of hard to fix though; if it's not a critical problem for the xubuntu live CD it might be better to defer to edgy10:39
Kamionjanimo: I'm just about to remove espresso from the archive, so I'd suggest uploading -meta, yes :)10:40
janimoKamion sure, the probem is if everything on the live system gets copied over the disk10:40
janimobut I guess it can be worked around by puttin xterm as the first dep in gdm?10:41
Kamionyeah, but that would probably adversely affect Ubuntu10:41
janimognome-session is depended upon by other packages, like ubutu-desktop10:42
janimoso it will be in anyway10:42
janimogdm depends on may packages which are already in default ubuntu-desktop10:42
KamionI suspect the gdm maintainer will rightly feel that that dependency change would be wrong10:44
Kamiongnome-session *is* the preferred dependency10:44
Kamiondependencies should really be saying what we mean them to say, rather than being workarounds for problems in packaging tools, where possible ...10:45
=== TomB| [n=ownthebo@ACD8A0DC.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
janimoalthough gdm does not really depend on any session, it can start whatever it's given.t hose would better be recommends imho10:47
nomedjanimo: btw: distrowatch last 7 days ... pretty amazing10:49
janimoyeah, but I guess it will fade. it's the newness mostly10:49
=== thesaltydog [n=saltydog@ubuntu/member/thesaltydog] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ealden [n=ealden@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== nomed [n=nomed@host19-194.pool8254.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
nomedjanimo: "apt-get install xterm xubuntu-live xubuntu-desktop" seems to solve that issue10:58
nomedwhile apt-get install xubuntu-live xubuntu-desktop installs gnome-session and more10:59
dholbachKinnison: I just had a look at the g-p-m NEWS file - doesn't seem like icon theme stuff was added. Would you mind much, if I'd take the current source, add a patch to it (only add new files) and add some bits to debian/{rules,control} to uudecode icons? I'm happy to wait for your upload to add my stuff to it, if you prefer that.11:00
KamionRiddell: is the kexi source package now superseded by koffice?11:01
Kamionnomed: that could go into the live CD build script as a workaround. Talk to infinity about that.11:02
Kamioninfinity: ^--11:02
=== human_blip [n=mike@mike.nelsonbay.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
RiddellKamion: yes it is11:03
KamionRiddell: binaries kexi-mysql-driver, kexi-postgresql-driver, and libkexi-dev to be removed? (confirming)11:03
Mithrandirfabbione: I'm going to upload a new xorg in a little bit, ok?11:04
fabbioneMithrandir: yes of course.11:05
RiddellKamion: -drivers are, let me check on -dev11:05
KamionRiddell: nothing depends/build-depends on it11:05
RiddellKamion: there's a kexi-mdb in revu which I think does for MS access databases11:06
=== ozamosi [n=nozamosi@h88n3c1o1049.bredband.skanova.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
KamionRiddell: mm, yeah, maybe koffice needs to start shipping that -dev then11:08
RiddellKamion: yes, I think it does11:08
RiddellKamion: keep it in for now, I'll get a proper answer toot sweet11:08
=== ozamosi- [n=nnozamos@h88n3c1o1049.bredband.skanova.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamioninteresting how anastacia gets confused by that; it wants to promote the kexi source package11:09
KamionRiddell: you want kplato in main? since it was new I shoved it in universe11:10
Kamion(but koffice depends on it)11:10
RiddellKamion: is kplato being brought into main11:11
Kamionthat's what I'm asking :)11:11
Riddellit should be in universe, it's still in "technology preview" stage11:11
Kamionoh, then please make koffice stop depending on it11:11
Kamionor else unseed koffice and seed individual packages, but that seems more drastic11:11
infinityKamion: Yeah, I can change "xubuntu-desktop" to "xterm xubuntu-desktop", if that'll fix things for now.11:12
KamionRiddell: also, does kexi want to be in main once we sort out this libkexi-dev issue?11:12
Kamioninfinity: sounds like it11:13
RiddellKamion: what's the plan for beta 2?  is it definately going ahead?11:13
RiddellKamion: yes, kexi is a proper release now so it can be promoted11:13
Kamioninfinity: possibly other changes required to get rid of ubuntu-artwork too, not sure; that sounds less urgent though11:13
KamionRiddell: I need to sort out an issue with apt-setup that mdz reminded me of last night, but aside from that I'm planning to do the prep today11:13
Kamionwe might as well do Flight CD 7 alongside, for the install CD; Beta 2 is only needed for the live CD11:14
Kamionso if you don't have time for a full QA pass on the install CDs, that's not so bad11:14
RiddellKamion: libkexi-dev can go, the files are in koffice-dev now11:15
janimonomed, good catch11:17
=== mendred [n=mendred@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
janimognome session install >50Mb worth  of deps so it's worth not having on the live and the installed system11:18
KamionRiddell: ah, great. koffice-dev should Replaces: libkexi-dev then11:18
janimoand the actualbug that was reportyed against it is that while installed, it has not the whole gnome in so choising it in gdm dialog leads to misbehaviour11:18
Riddellyep, i'll do that now11:18
KamionI'll remove in the next publisher-not-running window11:19
infinityKamion: Okay, new livecd.sh rolled out with that hack in place.11:20
ograso who made my CDs explode 11:20
janimoinfinity: thanks, does that mean it affects todays live?11:21
janimooh, today's live is out already so I guess not11:22
ogragrmbl, where do these 8M come from11:23
infinityjanimo: Next daily, unless it's urgent that you test it.11:23
janimoinfinity: not urgent, unless a beta2 is supposed to be happening for the derivatives too11:24
=== theliz48 [n=prout@mou06-1-82-246-4-197.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
nomedjanimo: it would be nice if within that iso there was the new xubuntu-meta ;)11:24
janimoand even in that case I'd like to wait for xubuntu-meta to build11:24
janimonomed, yep :) I guess that's the reaosn for the missing install icon?11:24
nomedit is11:25
nomedwe could even close bug 41344 ..11:27
UbugtuMalone bug 41344 in xubuntu-meta "icons missing on desktop in live cd" [Normal,Unconfirmed]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/4134411:27
nomedjanimo: i need you add an entry on your TODO list :)11:28
janimowhat entry? :)11:28
nomedhttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperXubuntuIcons?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=xfce-setting-show.png <--11:28
nomedthe icons are done ..11:28
nomednow we need to have that panel themeable11:28
janimois that not more an xfce upstream task?11:29
nomedjanimo: it would be nice to just figure out what wrong 11:29
nomedthen we can ping upstreamer11:30
janimook, it's on the TODO, just not on the top :)11:30
nomedit's really strange that if i remove all the icons ... that panel can still show them11:30
janimoi'll reboot now to see if the new usplash fixes the red color11:31
nomedjanimo: consider that it could affect even tango upstreamer11:31
=== human_blip [n=mike@mike.nelsonbay.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== theliz48_ [n=prout@mou06-1-82-246-4-197.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Huahua [n=hua_@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pitticrimsun: do you know any bug that describes the failure of handling '!defaults.pcm.card foo'? Any idea how I can reproduce it here? I want to make sure that snd_pcm_open() really fails in an appropriate way in this case (and not some other function)11:35
pitticrimsun: (and I need the error code as well, since opening the sound card could fail for other reasons, like being busy)11:36
=== WaterSevenUb [n=WaterSev@azevedo.astro.up.pt] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ograKamion, did ubiquity grow significantly in size over espresso ? 11:39
ograthe only things i see added are ubiquity, ttf-lao and xcursor-themes ... nothing justifies 8MB growth11:40
Kamionogra: no11:40
Kamionnomed: janimo's gone, so you'll do :), yes, I do expect we'll want to do another beta of the Xubuntu live CD11:41
nomedbtw: i wanted to test how smart bheaves on that situation :(11:42
nomedbut espresso seems gone ...11:42
=== Seveas [n=seveas@ubuntu/member/seveas] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ogranomed, yes, it was dropped some days ago 11:45
sivangmvo: http://muse.19inch.net/~sivan/s-t-b/ , includes both a debdiff and a changed source.11:45
sivangmvo: (fix for malone #40802)11:46
UbugtuMalone bug 40802 in gnome-system-tools "in users-admin user privileges there are 3 modem entries" [Normal,Confirmed]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/4080211:46
nomedogra: i guess just some minutes ago :)11:46
ogranomed, on the weekend i think11:47
Kamionnomed: sorry, what situation?11:47
mvosivang: thanks11:47
Kamionogra: no, I removed it from the archive in the last cycle11:47
ograah, k11:47
nomedKamion: the gnome-session issue11:47
Kamionnomed: ah, so espresso was a random tangent11:48
ograi thought the first ubiquity just superceded espresso11:48
Kamionogra: yes, but package removal is never automatic11:48
ogras/just/upload just/11:48
nomedKamion: xubuntu-meta has still espresso11:48
Kamionnomed: ok, janimo still needs to upload that11:48
ograits uploaded11:48
nomedi'll wait :)11:48
ogra(i see it on -changes)11:49
Kamionwell, it still needs to build then11:49
ograas edubuntu-meta11:50
=== _mike_ [n=mike@mike.nelsonbay.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionedubuntu-meta is built11:52
Kamionoh, not your most recent upload, ok11:52
ograit didnt have the espresso change11:53
=== zakame [n=zak@ubuntu/member/zakame] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mendred [n=mendred@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ompaul [n=ompaul@ubuntu/member/ompaul] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mjg59Diziet: With latest updates, I'm still seeing bad fonts in epiphany. Is that expected?12:08
=== seb128 [n=seb128@ubuntu/member/seb128] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== nikusan [n=dan@hamax4-093.dialup.optusnet.com.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti2 [n=pitti@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti2 [n=pitti@] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== mvo_ [n=egon@p54A648B2.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dsas [n=dean@host81-158-82-72.range81-158.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== j_ack [n=nico@p508DC2DC.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== theliz48_ [n=prout@mou06-1-82-246-4-197.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
KamionMithrandir: can you send me ubiquity changes needed to correspond to your xorg keyboard changes?12:35
MithrandirKamion: remind me what package that would be in?12:37
=== LinuxJones [n=willy@hlfxns01bbh-142177196014.ns.aliant.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mithrandiroh, true12:37
MithrandirI found it12:37
Kamionyeah, core ubiquity now12:38
=== Harti [n=Harti@dslb-082-083-235-048.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
MithrandirKamion: hmm, you don't ship .bzr in the source any more?12:41
KamionMithrandir: never did12:41
KamionMithrandir: I don't like shipping revision control detritus in source trees; I've never found it particularly helpful12:41
Hartithe new flashplugin-nonfree is broken!12:41
Kamionand it encourages people to forget to merge from my trunk :)12:42
MithrandirKamion: I find it useful with bzr and other distributed RCS-es, but YMMV.  You'll get a patch in a little bit, then.12:42
ograHarti, wait for and please use LP for bugs12:42
KamionHarti: I imagine that would be https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+bug/41442; feel free to subscribe12:43
UbugtuMalone bug 41442 in flashplugin-nonfree "flash doesn't install now" [Normal,Confirmed]  12:43
=== raphink [n=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Mithrandir twiddles thumbs as bzr takes a stroll around the park.
=== lloydinho [n=andreas@rosinante.egmont-kol.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Dizietmjh59: No, it's not expected.  Can you provide a testcase ?12:51
=== Lure [n=lure@external-7.hermes.si] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== nikusan_ [n=dan@hamax11-184.dialup.optusnet.com.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionmdz: ok, I just checked and /etc/apt/sources.list does now appear to contain lines for network sources even if you're not connected during installation, whether on the install or on the live CD12:53
Kamionmdz: I thought I observed otherwise earlier, but I guess I was wrong12:53
=== Keybuk [n=scott@quest.netsplit.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Dizietmjg59: No, it's not expected.  Can you provide a testcase ?12:57
DizietDamn, why do I keep doing that ?  (mjg->mjh)12:57
KamionMithrandir: do you care if your xorg keyboard change doesn't get into the beta? if the answer's "no", then I don't have to rebuild Ubuntu and Kubuntu livefses ...12:59
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@ubuntu/member/ivoks] has joined #ubuntu-devel
MithrandirKamion: no, I don't.  It only touches initial installations anyway.01:00
KamionI'll just rebuild Edubuntu and Xubuntu then01:00
ograi'm not yet sure edubuntu is good01:00
ograi have no idea where these 8 megs come from, i need to compensate that first 01:01
MithrandirKamion: So we're doing a beta 2 this week?01:01
Kamionogra: you talking about install or live CDs?01:03
KamionMithrandir: yeah, was planning on rolling the images today so we can test with at least some leisure01:03
ograKamion, install is oversized in any case, i'm not sure about live 01:03
MithrandirKamion: not redoing install, I presume?01:03
Kamionogra: live looks OK01:03
KamionMithrandir: yes, but calling that Flight CD 7, not beta; and perhaps we might want to do that next week01:04
ograhmm, i386 at 697M ...01:04
MithrandirKamion: ok.01:04
Kamionso yeah, might be best to just ignore it for today01:04
Kamiongiven that I don't want to spend too much time on this01:04
=== highvoltage [n=Jono@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mjg59Diziet: news.bbc.co.uk renders in a font that has ugly colour fringing01:13
mjg59I can provide a screenshot?01:13
Treenakscolor fringing? sounds like a wrong subpixel setting/01:15
mjg59Treenaks: No, it's choosing a poorly-hinted (or without hinting) font01:15
mjg59Which wasn't previously the default behaviour01:15
Dizietmjg59: screenshot> Yes, please.  (I must reinstall my testbed.)01:16
DizietWhen did this start happening ?01:16
mjg59It's been that way since the initial font behaviour change01:16
mjg59I can't tell if it's precisely the same font or not01:16
mjg59Diziet: http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/fringes.png01:17
Kamionhmm, I have to rebuild ubuntu/kubuntu amd64/powerpc anyway since they don't have the latest ubiquity; oh well01:17
mjg59diziet: http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~mjg59/fringes.png01:17
ograthats nimbus again01:18
ogranimbus sans to be precise01:18
MithrandirKamion: http://err.no/bzr/ubiquity for the keyboard fix01:18
mjg59I'm not good at identifying fonts01:18
ograi roughly know th eones we always have probs with :)01:19
mjg59I don't believe I've ever touched my font settings01:19
mjg59But if I did, I haven't touched them since well before the fontconfig fiddling01:19
DizietWhy are there no .jigdo's for the livecds ?01:19
ograyou have switched your ff to use sans 01:19
ograat least01:20
mjg59ogra: No01:20
KamionDiziet: there's no way to do them usefully01:20
mjg59I haven't touched my firefox config01:20
DizietOh, is it all compressed ?01:20
KamionDiziet: the main content of the live CD is a giant squashfs image01:20
mjg59(since I don't use it)01:20
ogramjg59, oh, wow, that happens with default ff settings ?01:20
mjg59ogra: That's epiphany01:20
Kamionso the corresponding .template would be nearly as big as the image itself01:20
ivoksit looks ok in epiphany here01:20
ograblind me, indeed01:20
Kamionthey do rsync fairly well, though01:21
DizietYes, epiphany does seem to be using Nimbus.01:24
ograthe current i386 edubuntu live is fine ... so if we have no regressions, it will stay that way :)01:24
=== theliz48__ [n=prout@mou06-1-82-246-4-197.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ogrameh, i have still to run dhclient manually to get wireless ?01:25
=== Hirion [n=hirion@draugr.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ograKeybuk, wasnt that fixed ?01:25
Keybukogra: no, is casper bug01:25
ograi thought i saw an related upload01:26
Keybukrecent upload doesn't mention anything01:26
_ionBtw, does linux-image-server contain grsec?01:26
Keybukthe bug is that casper only writes an /e/n/i entry for those cards there are drivers for the initramfs01:27
Keybukbecause most wireless cards need firmware or are in lrm, they're obviously missed out01:27
KeybukI suggested we just always write a couple of spare /e/n/i entries <g>01:27
ivoks_ion: nope :(01:28
_ionivoks: :-(01:28
ogramine is a lame pcmcia card ... i guess thats the prob01:28
Keybukoh, I doubt that's handled either <g>01:28
_ionIt shouldn't break anything if it were off by default. But the admin could enable it without having to compile her own kernel.01:28
ograin fact i have not one card here where it works01:29
RiddellKamion: are the text install images still to be rebuilt too?01:29
=== jinty [n=jinty@84.Red-83-55-199.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionwell pcmciautils ain't in the initramfs, so it won't01:29
KamionRiddell: not today01:29
RiddellKamion: so 20060426 is candidate for beta 2?  or not yet01:29
DizietWell, the problem is that epiphany is not setting the anymetrics=1 property (and indirectly that fontconfig is misdesigned and pango uses it in buggy ways).01:29
ograKamion, is it planned to get it into initramfs ? 01:30
Riddells/beta 2/flight 7/01:30
KamionRiddell: I'll not be releasing the install CD with Beta 2 - just reusing the existing one01:30
ivoks_ion: i think grsec was never considerd for inclusion01:30
DizietJust to confirm, no-one is seeing this wrong fonts problem with ff rather than epi ?01:30
RiddellKamion: right01:30
KamionRiddell: I think we'll just do Flight 7 next week rather than trying to do them both at once01:30
ograi imagine there are more pcmcia devices out there than wireless cards01:30
KamionRiddell: no images are candidate yet01:30
_ionivoks: That's a shame.01:30
Kamionogra: I haven't thought about it - probably best avoided for dapper01:30
Kamionit would be useful for PCMCIA hard drives01:31
ograyep, or CDs01:31
Kamionfor the live CD case, yes01:31
Dizietrsync on the .iso> just in time, no doubt, for me to rsync the beta 2 over the top of my beta download ...01:31
KamionDiziet: usually only takes about an hour for me to rsync a live ISO over that sort of time interval01:32
Keybukogra: ok, fixed casper01:32
KamionDiziet: beta (1) is fine if you're not planning on installing it, though01:32
Kamionvivies.buildd []  22 (ssh) : No route to host01:32
Kamionno biscuits for vivies01:32
ograKeybuk, yay, thanks :)))01:33
=== dsas [n=dean@host81-158-82-72.range81-158.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
DizietI was planning on installing it on my testbed.  It's either that or some early beta and upgrade.  My last dapper install on the testbed machine has rotted.01:33
=== giftnudel [n=mb@x485.vpn.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
KamionDiziet: ah, well today's daily-live should be OK then; we won't actually be releasing beta-2 until tomorrow, I expect01:33
DizietOK, ta.01:34
Kamion(assuming your testbed is i386)01:34
KamionRight. The other arches are a little out of date installer-wise.01:34
DizietBut first I have to go on my quarterly orange juice errand :-).01:34
=== LinuxJones [n=willy@hlfxns01bbh-142177196014.ns.aliant.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== madduck [n=madduck@debian/developer/madduck] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sfllaw [i=sfllaw@debian/developer/coleSLAW] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== theliz48 [n=prout@mou06-1-82-246-4-197.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamion+        if k == "slovene":01:43
Kamion+            xmap = "si"01:43
Kamion             variant = "de"01:43
KamionMithrandir: really?01:43
Mithrandirthat's wrong01:43
Mithrandiron phone, I'll fix01:43
MithrandirKamion: fixed, pushed01:46
=== Kagou [n=Kagou@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittimjg59: as a workaround fix for this at_console dbus bug, could libpam-console provide a world-executable suid program that just returns whether the caller is on the currently active console?01:59
pittimjg59: erm, libpam-foreground of course01:59
mjg59pitti: Yes - how would that help?01:59
pittimjg59: g-p-m and g-v-m could call it directly instead of going through dbus01:59
mjg59It would /work/, but, well02:00
pittithat doesn't prevent attacks of course02:00
pittiit would just unbreak g-[pv] -m02:00
pittiI don't like it either, but ...02:00
mjg59Why is it so difficult to get dbus to check to context on every call?02:00
pittimjg59: because you don't have the policy on the call any more02:01
pittimjg59: 'at_console' is completely resolved at policy parsing time02:01
pittiit's not stored in any internal data structure02:01
mjg59Oh, right. Hmph.02:01
mjg59Can we fudge it in without breaking compatibility?02:01
mjg59This is something that's going to have to be fixed upstream in any case02:01
pittiin principle yes, these are just internal data structures02:01
pittiit's just a lot of work02:02
mjg59I'll take a quick look later on02:02
pittiwell, hm, the structs could be public API 02:02
mjg59Have to go and finish defrosting a freezer now02:02
pittiso it might actually break the ABI02:02
=== pygi [n=pygi@83-131-240-223.adsl.net.t-com.hr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
KamionMithrandir: merged and pushed, thanks02:11
=== _human_blip_ [n=mike@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
MithrandirKeybuk: where is the bzr branch for your casper stuff?02:15
=== giftnudel_ [n=mb@x412.vpn.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== giftnudel_ is now known as giftnudel
KeybukMithrandir: no such thing02:29
Keybukjust unpack the new source over the top of your branch and commit :)02:31
=== Fjodor [n=sune@daimi-pat.daimi.au.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mithrandirno, since it was you who did the commit, I committing would be wrong.02:32
Keybukwhere's your bzr branch?02:33
=== jjesse [n=jjesse@mail.ftpb.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionbeta-candidate Ubuntu live CDs up for testing; Kubuntu building02:35
Kamionbeta2-candidate, that is02:35
MithrandirKeybuk: it's shipped in the source package.02:36
MithrandirKeybuk: but it also lives at http://people.ubuntu.com/~tfheen/bzr/casper/trunk02:36
KamionI particularly want testing of the installer, and especially so if your usual use of the installer triggers a crash; I'd like to know that (a) the installer can be properly restarted after the crash and (b) it doesn't eat your partition table (also check if 'ps aux | grep part' says anything)02:36
KamionI'm reasonably sure both of these properties will hold now02:37
KeybukMithrandir: ok, pull from my new upload when it's in the archive02:38
MithrandirKeybuk: you're lazy, but ok :-P02:38
TheMusoKamion: I expect to be able to give the installer a thorough a11y runthrough in the next few days. I have been meaning to for a while, but haven't got round to it yet.02:38
StevenKKamion: Geez, you'd think you were bitter. :-P02:39
KeybukMithrandir: yes :)  lazyness is a virtue02:39
Keybuk(and mostly I can never get bzr push to work for me)02:39
j^Keybuk whats your plan for NM, since 0.6.2 orinoco_pci and others are broken for WEP/open aps, this is the case no for some time...02:41
KamionStevenK: no, languages that do things behind my back that have weird side effects that cause me to be responsible for serious data loss don't annoy me at all :P02:43
KamionTheMuso: ta02:43
Keybukj^: ignore it for as long as possible, get drunk, then look at the bug list02:43
KamionRiddell: beta2-candidate Kubuntu live CDs up for testing02:44
StevenKKamion: :-)02:44
RiddellKamion: thanks02:45
j^Keybuk hm 'k, sounds like a plan, not a good one though, but hey02:46
KamionEdubuntu and Xubuntu are blocked on the buildds waking up02:46
Keybukj^: if you'd asked a more sensible question, you may have got a more sensible answer02:46
ograKamion, but i tested the current amd64/i386 already ... should be fine once -meta is done02:46
Kamionogra: your test is kind of meaningless though from the installer point of view, since it was done with espresso, which predates all the fixes I actually care about for beta 202:47
ograKamion, i mostly care about the CD working :)02:47
Kamionogra: yes, well I care about the installer not eating people's partition tables, and that's the *entire purpose* of Beta 202:47
ograyep, i know 02:48
ograbut your install CDs didnt explode :)02:48
KamionI can't just not release Beta 2 for Edubuntu, so if you reckon it'll all work, I can just release it and direct complaints to you :)02:48
ograi feared desktop had grown02:48
=== Harti [n=Harti@dslb-082-083-235-048.pools.arcor-ip.net] has left #ubuntu-devel ["-carpe]
=== zul [n=chuck@ubuntu/member/zul] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== FliesLikeABrick [n=Ryan@about/rpi/rawdor] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Seveas [n=seveas@ubuntu/member/seveas] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ssam [n=ssam@80-41-50-207.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dholbach [n=daniel@ubuntu/member/dholbach] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zakame [n=zak@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pygi_ [n=pygi@83-131-247-95.adsl.net.t-com.hr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
zakamehi all03:12
=== mxpxpod [n=BryanFor@unaffiliated/mxpxpod] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Hirion [n=hirion@draugr.de] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== janimo [n=jani@Home03207.cluj.astral.ro] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mgalvin [n=mgalvin@ubuntu/member/mgalvin] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== theliz48 [n=prout@mou06-1-82-246-4-197.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== LinuxJones [n=willy@hlfxns01bbh-142177214189.ns.aliant.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== nikusan [n=dan@hamax11-184.dialup.optusnet.com.au] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Ex-Chat"]
=== mvo_ [n=egon@p54A648B2.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
slomo_is it a known problem that nothing is built currently?03:32
Kamionslomo_: yeah, I was bugging cprov to look into it earlier, but it might need infinity03:32
Kamioninfinity: if by some miracle you happen to be up ...03:32
slomo_hm is auto-depwait cleaning already implemented? i.e. if i upload something that waits for something else to be built and gets on depwait for now it will be cleaned from depwait after the dependency is built? or does this still need manual work?03:36
=== j_ack [n=nico@p508DC2DC.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== human_blip [n=mike@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@ubuntu/member/ivoks] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== bddebian [n=bdefrees@mail.ottens.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== JanC [n=janc@lugwv/member/JanC] has joined #ubuntu-devel
bddebianHeya folks03:48
sivanghey bddebian 03:50
bddebianHowdy sivang.  What should we break today? ;-P03:51
=== Solarion [n=solarion@cruftix.physics.uiowa.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Solariondholbach: ping03:58
=== Yvonne [n=01101110@pdpc/supporter/active/Yvonne] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sivangbddebian: Well, I've already broken one package, sudo apt-get install upbackup and see for yourself ;-)04:03
pittisivang: 'no such package'04:04
slomo_sivang: where's the problem?04:05
ograits not built yet04:05
ograjust passed NEW04:05
sivangslomo_: internally in the code :)04:09
sivangslomo_: everything looks fine until you try to create a backup archive04:09
slomo_sivang: want me to upload a new version?04:10
Kamionpitti: remind me, were your ubiquity install test failures on reiserfs?04:12
pittiKamion: yes04:12
sivangslomo_: yes, already in revu04:12
pittiKamion: more precisely, it failed if the target root partition was originally reiserfs04:13
slomo_sivang: please give me the latest url :)04:13
pittiKamion: i. e. even if it was reformatted to ext304:13
pittiKamion: thanks for the checkrdepends fix, btw04:13
Kamionpitti: not sure about if it's reformatted to ext3, but if it remains reiserfs, I suspect doing 'apt-get --purge remove libreiserfs0.3-0' before starting the installer may help04:13
slomo_sivang: and didn't you want to rename the package btw? now if you rename it we have to go through NEW again...04:13
Kamionslomo_: that's not massive hardship04:14
Kamiongiven the binary isn't through NEW anyway04:14
bddebianHeya slomo_, did you get my e-mail?04:14
=== dsas [n=dean@host81-158-82-72.range81-158.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
slomo_bddebian: yes, thanks :) but i didn't read it yet, i will later tonight04:15
sivangslomo_: hmm, yesm but I don't chagne the package name right now04:16
=== waylandbill [n=waylandb@67-138-75-210.dsl1.merch.roc.ny.frontiernet.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
waylandbillI had a suggestion for the Live CD Installer. Is this the right place?04:17
slomo_sivang: ok, np :) but i have to leave now again... i think you'll find someone else to upload it until i'm back04:18
sivangslomo_: okay, thanks04:18
Kamionwaylandbill: https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+filebug is a better place, but I'm happy to talk about things if you want to check before filing04:18
RiddellKamion: the 20060416.1 i386 kubuntu live CD seems to be an ubuntu CD04:20
waylandbillmy suggestion is that the number one question new users have is regarding administration. They don't know the root password. My thought is that when they create the initial user, the screen should let them know that it will be a wheel member and can do admin things via sudo.04:20
waylandbillok.. it may not be the #1 question, but it's a top one. :-)04:20
mjg59waylandbill: On new installs, users get a message telling them that04:20
mjg59Every time they open a terminal, until they use sudo for the first time04:21
=== mjg59 goes out
KamionI've got no objection to mentioning it in the installer04:21
Kamionwaylandbill: feel free to file a bug about that, URL above04:21
waylandbillKamion, ok. will do.04:21
KamionRiddell: Ubuntu CDs have konqueror on them?04:22
Kamioncjwatson@little:~$ grep '^konqueror ' cdimage/www/full/kubuntu/daily-live/20060426.1/dapper-live-i386.manifest04:22
Kamionkonqueror 4:3.5.2-0ubuntu1404:22
bddebianRiddell: I have a dumb question.  I'm thinking of install kubuntu on this Dell laptop sitting here.  Do I just do a normal install then install kubuntu-desktop or is there a better way?04:23
=== CarlFK [n=carl@c-67-163-39-124.hsd1.il.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== KaiL [n=KaiL@p548F758C.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Riddellbddebian: normal install?04:30
bddebianRiddell: Normal Dapper install04:30
Riddellbddebian: if you already have an ubuntu install then apt-get install kubuntu-desktop, if installing from scratch download a kubuntu CD04:30
bddebianOh, hmm04:30
jjessedownload the live cd and install it from espresso :)04:30
Riddelljjesse: espresso doesn't exist any more remember04:31
bddebianubitquity or some such nonsense? :-)04:32
=== _TomB [n=ownthebo@ACD8A0DC.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionand, come on, it's not like espresso meant anything04:36
=== OculusAquilae [n=oculus@pD95098C1.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ograespresso means staying awake at night ;)04:36
ogra(i bet you know that best ;) )04:37
bddebianKamion: Sorry, didn't mean to offend, I'm just bugfighting so I can't keep up with the "real" work :-)04:37
jjessegrin i quit forgetting04:37
jjessesome college girl came to the running group that my wife and i are a part of and she had three double espressos to help her study for exams and then was going to run, she didn't make it very, just remember don't run on a lot of caffiene04:38
=== Burgundavia_ [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== wasabi_ [n=wasabi@c-71-199-216-244.hsd1.co.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
bddebianKamion: Can you fix LP member issues and such?04:48
carlosdoko: I already removed the oo.org translations you asked me except for the Kurdish  ones because I need to do some changes first04:52
carlosdoko: feel free to do a new upload, I will fix Kurdish manually later04:53
dokocarlos: thanks04:53
Kamionbddebian: I can fix you not being a member if you should be, certainly04:57
KamionRiddell: have you sorted out your Kubuntu live CD issues, or does it still seem broken? I can't see any brokenness at little's end04:58
bddebianKamion: Well that and my @ubuntu.com mail has never worked04:59
bddebianBut maybe you guys don't want me anymore :'-(04:59
Kamionbddebian: @ubuntu.com mail is dependent on membership in LP04:59
ogragiven that he's uploading like mad he should probably be a member :)04:59
Kamionbddebian: do you happen to remember roughly when the CC meeting that accepted you was?05:00
Kamionah, 2005-07-1905:00
bddebianEgads, it was back when Breezy was getting hot.  I guess I can probably grep the logs05:00
KamionI just did :)05:01
Kamionbddebian: please visit https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntumembers/+join05:01
RiddellKamion: I was of course being silly, or k3b was or something05:02
RiddellKamion: all kubuntu live CDs are good05:02
Riddellespresso working nicely too05:02
Riddellerr, ubiquity05:02
Kamionif you fancy triggering the crash handler at some point that'd be good too05:04
Kamionit worked for me but of course that's never an endorsement :)05:04
Kamionbuildds have been restarted and are building stuff, BTW; the sequencer died this morning for unexplained reasons05:06
=== jsgotangco [n=jsg@ubuntu/member/jsgotangco] has joined #ubuntu-devel
bddebianKamion: Done, thx05:10
=== j^ [n=j@e178014099.adsl.alicedsl.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
bddebianIs the sync issue resolved?05:14
=== mendred [n=mendred@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== glatzor [n=sebi@ppp-88-217-1-52.mnet-online.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionbddebian: not yet, AFAIK05:21
bddebianDamnit, eric still doesn't conflict with eric3 even in the new version05:22
Kamionbddebian: ubuntumembers membership approved05:22
bddebianThank you sir05:22
Riddellbddebian: does eric successfully save files yet?05:23
Kamionif the new version isn't needed for that, then just add the conflicts directly?05:23
bddebianRiddell: Dunno it's weird.  It went from 3.8.1 to 3.8.2 but the orig.tar.gzs have 0 differences05:25
pittiKamion: just read your libreiserfs0.3-0 mail, thanks for debugging that05:27
=== farruinn [n=farruinn@ssprange-3.umm.maine.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
KamionI was sitting there going "how the hell can I be getting -EIO in vmware?"05:27
bddebianRiddell: When my kubuntu install finishes, I'll test it :-)05:30
=== bytee_ [n=byte@pentafluge.infradead.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== janimo [n=jani@Home03207.cluj.astral.ro] has joined #ubuntu-devel
janimofreeflying: what about the other scim- packages05:39
janimothere seem to be more of tjem not included besides the four you mentioned05:39
bddebianYikes, 522Mb of stuff for kubuntu-desktop..05:39
freeflyingjanimo: scim-tables inlude qite more ,like Thai,etc05:40
janimoothers like cann, prime, skk ?05:40
janimoare some of these less needed than others?05:40
janimoless frequently used or covering less users?05:40
janimotables-{zh,ja,ko} are those not needed?05:41
freeflyingjanimo: those needn't at all 05:41
freeflyingtables- would be nice05:42
janimowhich are not needed? canna, prime, skk? deprecated? I see now they're in universe05:44
freeflyingjanimo: cann, prime, skk 05:44
=== sbalneav [n=sbalneav@mail.legalaid.mb.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
nomedKamion: i do not know if it has been changed something more than ubiquity in the xubuntu-meta ..05:47
nomedbut smart doesn't install gnome-session05:47
=== mxpxpod_ [n=BryanFor@wuw-ojr3gmca.dybb.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
nomedwhile apt wants to install it ...05:48
nomedsame for ubuntu-artwork pkge ...05:50
Kamionnomed: that's the same problem as we were talking about this morning; nothing's changed05:51
Kamiondoes 'apt-get install xterm xubuntu-desktop' want to install gnome-session too now?05:52
nomedKamion: no05:52
nomedbut if you remember i told you i would test same stuff in smart05:52
nomedand smart doesn't need xterm as first entry05:52
=== mxpxpod__ [n=BryanFor@wuw-ojr3gmca.dybb.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionfair enough, and good to know; though it doesn't really help us for dapper ;)05:53
nomedeheh i know05:53
=== lbm [n=lbm@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokoDiziet: do you have an example how to use the <and> and <or> elements in fonts.conf?05:57
=== jono [n=jono@mail.openadvantage.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jonohi all, do you know that a recent xserver-xorg pakcage update is borked?05:59
nomedogra: around ?06:00
nomeddoes edubuntu use ubuntu-artwork ?06:00
Mithrandirjono: bug #?06:00
=== Seveas [n=seveas@ubuntu/member/seveas] has joined #ubuntu-devel
nomedogra: i guess it's in the livecd ...06:00
jonoMithrandir: just checking if anyone knew about it - its reported on the forums at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=16641006:00
=== highvoltage [n=Jono@mtngprs7.mtn.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mithrandirjono: grr, I suck.  Mea culpa, I'll fix it.06:01
ogranomed, beware no !06:01
jonoMithrandir: :)06:01
ogranomed, we dont have this much space :)06:01
ogranomed, edubuntu uses edubuntu-artwork only06:02
nomedogra: i'm asking this because gdm wants to install ubuntu-artwork ...06:02
nomedi do not understand why it doesn't happen in edubuntu :/06:02
ograit should depend on ubuntu-artwork|edubuntu-artwork|xubuntu-artwork06:02
ogragdm that is06:02
nomedsame as gnome-session06:03
nomedjanimo: could you confirm we need this ?06:03
nomedapt-get  install xterm xubuntu-default-settings xubuntu-live xubuntu-desktop06:03
ogranomed, that was fixed before seb128 went on holiday06:03
ograit wasnt apparently06:04
ogragdm depends;  ubuntu-artwork | edubuntu-artwork,06:04
ograxubuntu-artwork needs to be added to that list06:04
Mithrandirjono: fix uploaded.06:05
jonoMithrandir: thanks :)06:05
nomedogra: the xubuntu problem is that even if gdm has alternatives it tries to use the first entry06:05
nomedso even if xubuntu-desktop depends on xterm06:05
Kamionjanimo: please also try explicitly seeding xubuntu-artwork if you want gdm to use it06:05
nomedgdm tries to install gnome-session ...06:05
jonoMithrandir: how long does it take to go through?06:05
Mithrandirjono: thanks to you too, I should learn to test my changes even when they're trivial..06:05
Kamionnomed: ^-- that's probably part of why ubuntu-artwork gets pulled in06:05
=== JaneW [n=JaneW@dsl-146-141-13.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ogranomed, not if one of the alternatives is already there06:05
nomedKamion: i guess so06:06
jsgotangcoheh i just received a bug about the breakage06:06
Kamionogra: not always true, see discussion from this morning06:06
jsgotangcoi will just tag it as committed06:06
Mithrandirjono: probably didn't make this dinstall cycle so it won't be live for another two and a half hours.06:06
jsgotangcoerr released06:06
Mithrandiruh, not dinstall, publisher.06:06
nomedanyway ...06:06
ograKamion, if xubuntu-artwork is there it shouldnt attempt to install any other -artwork package, no ?06:06
nomedxubuntu-default-settings is there06:06
Kamionogra: see discussion from this morning; it will be quite tedious to go over it again06:06
nomedand that is where gdm conf file is06:07
Kamionogra: to summarise, if you're installing xubuntu-artwork *at the same time* (rather than it being already installed) then apt sometimes forgets about it when satisfying alternate dependencies06:07
=== pax [n=pax@pdpc/supporter/student/pax] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ograhmm, havent seen that with edubuntu 06:07
nomedand i really would figure out why this doesn't happen on edubuntu ...06:08
ograbut anyway, gdm is missing that dependency06:08
=== kagou [n=kagou@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== chris_ [n=chris@ACB493B4.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ograas long as thats not fixed it cant work at all06:08
Kamionnomed: edubuntu (a) uses gnome-session so doesn't care about that case (b) has edubuntu-artwork explicitly seeded06:08
chris_xserver-xorg is broken - you know? 06:08
=== infinito [n=infinito@VPNPOOL01-0008.UNI-MUENSTER.DE] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionchris_: yes, (a) fix is making its way through the archive now, (b) use the bug tracking system :)06:08
nomedKamion: k .. got it06:09
ogranomed, you'll need that alternative dep in gdm 06:09
nomedogra: xubuntu-default-setting has gdm theme :)06:09
UbugtuMalone bug 41605 in xorg xserver-xorg "xserver-xorg broken packaged in update-manager (26/04)" [Normal,Unconfirmed]  06:09
KamionMithrandir: you might want to close that one06:10
ogranomed, gdm needs a dependency on itz06:10
jsgotangcoim closing it now06:10
Kamionogra: gdm Depends: ubuntu-artwork | edubuntu-artwork | xubuntu-default-settings06:10
ogracurrently gdm needs either ubuntu-artwork *or* edubuntu-artwork ... as long as gdm doesnt know about xubuntu it will stay that way06:10
ograKamion, hmm ? 06:11
ogranot here06:11
ogra gksu (>= 1.0.7), ubuntu-artwork | edubuntu-artwork, ubuntu-sounds06:11
Kamionogra: drescher trumps you06:11
Mithrandirjsgotangco: you beat me to it, thanks.06:11
=== spacey [n=herman@ubuntu/member/spacey] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== alexr [n=shura@adsl-71-134-224-232.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
alexrMithrandir: Can I ask you a question about live CD?06:13
alexrOr maybe somebody else can answer this:06:14
alexrIf I tweak dapper live cd to add a few packages, everything is fine for the live session.06:14
alexrBut if I install with espresso then all my packages are removed.06:15
Kamionalexr: you need to add suitable lines to /casper/filesystem.manifest and /casper/filesystem.manifest-desktop06:15
ograKamion, i'm silly and blind, sorry06:15
alexrOK, so which manifest is for what?06:15
Kamionespresso (now called ubiquity) removes the set-difference of filesystem.manifest-desktop and filesystem.manifest to make sure live-CD-only packages don't get installed06:15
Kamionalexr: manifest is everything that's installed, manifest-desktop is the stuff that should end up on the installed system06:16
alexrNice, thanks!06:16
alexrDoes the alphabetical sorting matter?06:16
Kamionalexr: hmm, did you edit manifest?06:16
=== Surak [n=Surak@201009098083.user.veloxzone.com.br] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionalexr: (already, before coming here)06:16
alexrKamion: yes, I edited manufest but not -desktop06:16
Kamionah, yeah, thought so06:17
ograapt-cache show shows installed and available versions it seems ... while the installed one comes last ...06:17
Kamionalexr: no, sorting doesn't matter06:17
alexrWas not sure which is which and whetehr they're used.06:17
Surakpeople using dapper are complaining about latest xorg update.06:17
KamionSurak: already fixed, fix is building06:17
Surakthanks. I was doing support at #ubuntu-br and three people asked me this at the same time.06:18
Kamionalexr: would a comment at the top of those files be helpful?06:18
alexrKamion: this is how I produced the manifest:06:18
alexrdpkg-query -W --showformat='${Package} ${Version}\n'  >  iso/casper/filesystem.manifest06:18
=== abelcheung [n=abelcheu@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionseveral people have been in here in the last fifteen minutes asking about it06:18
alexrKamion: yes, a comment would be great.06:18
KamionI'd best make ubiquity ignore comments then06:18
alexrKamion: so should I just add my packages to the -desktop manually?06:18
SurakCan we change channel topic so people will stop asking this here?06:19
alexrSurak: sorry, but where else would I ask this?06:19
Kamionalexr: Surak is talking about something else06:20
=== ..[topic/#ubuntu-devel:Kamion] : Ubuntu Development (not support, even with dapper) | #ubuntu for support and general discussion | #ubuntu-motu for getting involved in development | http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DeveloperResources | http://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs | If your initramfs is broken in any way, please save a copy for infinity | LP upgraded, report issues on #launchpad | Beta released: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2006-Apri
Kamiondamn, overflow06:20
=== ..[topic/#ubuntu-devel:Kamion] : Ubuntu Development (not support, even with dapper) | #ubuntu for support and general discussion | #ubuntu-motu for getting involved in development | http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DeveloperResources | http://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs | If your initramfs is broken in any way, please save a copy for infinity | LP upgraded, report issues on #launchpad | Beta released | yes, xorg is being fixed
=== TMM [n=hp@cp611456-a.roemd1.lb.home.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Surakalexr: i was talking about xorg , as the channel topic confirms to us now :-)06:20
alexrSurak: no problem :-)06:20
alexrKamion: so does ubiquity use same seeding mechanism as the former instalelr?06:21
Kamionalexr: yeah, just add them manually. We do it by running the exact same dpkg-query command you used, but twice: once after installing everything up to ubuntu-desktop etc., and once after installing the rest06:21
Kamionalexr: kinda sorta06:21
Kamionalexr: what exactly do you mean?06:21
alexrKamion: how do I find out the username of the first created user?06:21
Kamionalexr: passwd/username in debconf06:22
alexrSo this did not change.06:22
Kamionwe use a lot of the same code06:22
Kamionand a lot of new code06:22
alexrBefore, I would add this in the install CD's seed file:06:23
alexrDarn, can't find it now :-)06:23
alexrI would add this in the postinst:06:23
alexrset -e06:24
alexr. /usr/share/debconf/confmodule06:24
alexrdb_get passwd/username06:24
Kamionwhat postinst?06:24
alexrif [ -n "$RET" ]  ; then06:24
alexr  LOGIN=$RET06:24
alexrof my new package, to configure few things.06:24
Kamionwell, your postinst won't be run - ubiquity expects all packages to already be installed06:24
Kamionyou can drop extra hooks into /usr/lib/ubiquity/target-config/ though06:24
alexrSo I need to install it on the live session first.06:24
Surakthanks kamion. time to lunch now.06:24
=== Surak [n=Surak@201009098083.user.veloxzone.com.br] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== thesaltydog [n=fabio@ubuntu/member/thesaltydog] has joined #ubuntu-devel
alexrKamion: does /usr/lib/ubiquity/target-config/ has any files with comments?06:25
alexrHow do I hook anything up?06:25
alexrOr any docs, maybe?...06:25
Kamionthose'll be run on the live filesystem so you refer to the installed system using /target06:25
Kamionalexr: it's primarily there for casper so there are some examples in the ubiquity-casper package; it should already be installed on your live CD06:26
=== Lure [n=lure@clj46-234.dial-up.arnes.si] has joined #ubuntu-devel
alexrKamion: The examples are installed?06:26
alexrKamion: I'll take a look, thanks!06:26
Kamionexamples was a poor choice of wording; they're required for the operation of the installer, but you can use them as examples06:26
Riddelldholbach: did I see you making something depend on kde-icons-crystal the other day?06:27
Kamionnote that the live filesystem's debconf database is not copied to the installed system at present, so if you need to fish stuff out of the installer's db, you need to do that before reboot06:27
KamionI haven't decided whether I think that's a bug or not yet06:28
=== thesaltydog [n=fabio@ubuntu/member/thesaltydog] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Ex-Chat"]
alexrKamion: sounds good, I'll try.06:28
alexrKamion: I have a beta lice cd now, and it says espresso.06:28
Kamionshould probably be saved at least for debug purposes06:29
alexrIs espresso -> ubiquity just the name change?06:29
Kamionalexr: it'll be /usr/lib/espresso/target-config/ then; we renamed it after beta06:29
alexrYeah, I get it.06:29
Kamionwe'll be releasing a second beta tomorrow, because the beta was a bit buggered06:29
Riddelldholbach: yes, tango-icon-theme does, why is that?06:29
Kamionyou probably want to fetch a daily live CD06:29
elmomvo_: ping?06:29
alexrKamion: thanks a lot for your help!06:29
mvo_elmo: pong?06:29
=== alexr [n=shura@adsl-71-134-224-232.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has left #ubuntu-devel []
elmomvo_: any luck/ideas with the update-manager icon disappearance?06:30
elmounrelated: does anyone know how I convince a partition that's in /etc/fstab to appear in nautilus?  someone at the office just upgraded to dapper and their /windows partition is no longer available in nautlius06:30
nomedRiddell: as i reported that bug ..06:30
mvo_elmo: not yet, sorry. it is still not available on your system? does it come up when you run apt-get update?06:31
nomedi just suggested to add kde-icons-crystal because tango Inherits it06:31
nomedbut not as depends entry .. 06:31
elmomvo: nope.  anyway, it's not mega urgent.  should I just file a bug?  mostly wanted to confirm it wasn't PEBKAC06:32
mvo_elmo: unrelated, I merged the apt-ftparchive stuff from aj, it has a NEWS.Debian note that the format changed and will give a useful error message - do you think that is enough to make people happy? 06:32
mvo_elmo: please file a bug then06:32
Kamionmvo_: format changed how?06:32
pittielmo: many users complained about seeing partitions on their desktop which aren't in /media, so I configured hal to not show them by default06:33
pittielmo: the easy way is to mount it below /media06:33
pittielmo: the more complicated one is to adapt the hal policy for this drive06:33
pittielmo: if you are interested in the latter, I can create a hal fdi snippet for you06:33
elmopitti: ok, super thanks06:33
elmopitti: nah, I'll just move it to /media, that's fine06:34
mvo_Kamion: the format of the db in apt-ftparchive changed from DB_HASH to DB_BTREE06:34
pittithis was highly controversial, we just need to do something that isn't too evil by default06:34
elmopitti: it's a little undiscoverable is my only concern for people updating from breezy -> dapper, but OTOH, I'm not sure if it's worth an entry in the release notes06:34
Riddellnomed: yes, it's only a Suggests, not a depends06:34
Kamionmvo_: ah, ok, doesn't affect me then06:34
Riddellnomed: but kde-icons-crystal has everaldo's theme, crystalsvg itself is from kdelibs06:34
pittielmo: gnome upstream removed the configurability of this in the last minutes before the 2.14 release :(06:34
elmomvo_: fine by me06:35
pitti(yay rigid freeze processes)06:35
nomedRiddell: so probaly kde-icon-theme shouldn't be in Suggests06:36
Kamionanyone else tested today's Ubuntu/Kubuntu live CD installation yet? Ubuntu/i386 is working fine for me06:36
nomedit's been my mistake reporting the bug06:36
=== Gloubiboulga [n=gauvain@ubuntu/member/gloubiboulga] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiKamion: is today's of particular interest, i. e. is it a flight candidate? I can download and test powerpc and/or amd64 if necessary06:37
=== human_blip [n=mike@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Riddellnomed: I've reported another bug https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/tango-icon-theme/+bug/4161306:37
UbugtuMalone bug 41613 in tango-icon-theme "Suggests kde-icons-crystal" [Normal,Unconfirmed]  06:37
=== rgould [n=rgould@mail.refractions.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionpitti: beta2 candidate06:39
dokoDiziet: ping06:40
Kamionpitti: (just the live CD, no need to particularly test the install CD)06:40
=== pitti rsyncs
pittiwill take a while, though (rsync bandwidth sucks)06:40
=== mvo_ goes for dinner
=== mvo_ rsyncs the images
trappistit looks like cups 1.2 client software has trouble sending attributes-natural-language in a way that's breaking compatibility with cups 1.1 server06:41
trappistin bug 4159306:41
UbugtuMalone bug 41593 in cupsys "Bad Request generated printing to remote CUPS server" [Normal,Unconfirmed]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/4159306:41
pittitrappist: ah, thanks for tracking that down06:42
trappistthat was known?06:42
pittitrappist: that should be forwarded as an STR to upstream06:42
pittitrappist: well, I just read your bug report06:42
=== MrFaber [n=MrFaber@dslb-084-056-225-204.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
trappistah :)06:42
pittibut I need to do some non-cups stuff for a while now06:42
glatzorhi mvo_:  would it not be suffcient if we would realize the synaptic fetch window before you obtain the _gc? if we could show the window later it would be centered on the parent. currently it is centered and shown before it contains any text.06:42
MrFaberBenC: you there?06:42
trappistpitti: I'll send something upstream06:42
pittitrappist: that would be great!06:42
BenCMrFaber: yeah06:43
MrFaberhi BenC thanks06:43
MrFaberBenC: I have posted a bug https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/36014 . It only happens with 686 version with kernel 20 kernel but with kernel 21 it happens with both versions06:44
UbugtuMalone bug 36014 in linux-source-2.6.15 "kernel 686 can't scale cpu frequency" [Normal,Unconfirmed]  06:44
dholbachRiddell: merely suggest06:44
dholbachRiddell: as tango *can* fall back to crystal06:44
BenCmroth: ok, I'll check on it06:44
glatzormvo_: do you think that it is sufficient to be a male geriatic student nurse to take part in the google summer of code? :)06:44
=== Fjodor [n=sune@0x55510b65.adsl.cybercity.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
MrFaberBenC: Should I post another bug report or anyhting else?06:45
elmopitti: that didn't seem to work - would I need to log in and out for it to take effect?06:45
Riddelldholbach: yeah, but wrong crystal06:45
BenCMrFaber: no, just append any info to the existing one06:45
MrFaberok, thx06:45
dholbachRiddell: uh?06:45
Riddelldholbach: see https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/tango-icon-theme/+bug/4161306:46
UbugtuMalone bug 41613 in tango-icon-theme "Suggests kde-icons-crystal" [Normal,Unconfirmed]  06:46
pittielmo: yes; killall gnome-vfs-daemon nautilus might work, too06:46
dholbachRiddell: thanks - will take care of it.06:46
elmopitti: ok, cool,l thanks06:46
bddebianAck, I hate packages that just have a debian dir and a tarball :-(06:47
pittibddebian: for any particular reason?06:47
bddebianpitti: Quick and dirty patches are a PITA :-)06:47
pittibddebian: well, quick and dirty in-line patching and immediately trying the results is very nice OTOH :)06:48
pittiwithout ever breaking the source package06:48
bddebianpitti: ??06:48
bddebianHeya LaserJock.  Done your homework first? ;-P06:48
pittibddebian: you can hack around in the build-tree, do autoconf magic, whatever, it won't break the source06:48
=== MrFaber [n=MrFaber@dslb-084-056-225-204.pools.arcor-ip.net] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Konversation]
bddebianpitti: Aye but the package has no current patch system and I just wanted to in-line the changes since it's gonna come down in Debian later06:49
pittibddebian: huh? there is a build-tree-based package with no patch system?06:50
pittiwhich package are we talking about?06:50
=== farruinn [n=farruinn@ssprange-3.umm.maine.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittibddebian: it's dbs, so just mkdir debian/patches should work06:51
=== Hirion [n=hirion@draugr.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== darius_ [i=darius@integrity.bourg.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittibddebian: dbs-edit-patch is your friend06:52
RiddellKamion: another confirmation of i386 kubuntu live beta 2 candidate CD working06:52
bddebianI'm tempted to just reject the bug.  It's just a typo06:52
Riddellfrom Lure 06:52
bddebianNot worth my time :-(06:52
pittibddebian: file it to Debian and set it to low prio then06:52
trappistpitti: STR #1605 - is that not set up as a bug system (to link to) in malone?06:52
=== bddebian wonders if his kubuntu install will ever finish.. sheesh
pittitrappist: not yet unfortunately; can you please just do a LP bug followup with the URL?06:53
bddebianpitti: OK, thx06:53
=== pitti hugs trappist
darius_Is there a current/known bug with Dapper beta idling at high CPU consumption?06:54
darius_I've been idling with very high load averages since install Dapper on my HP laptop06:54
DizietI've got Xeno's progress bar here.06:55
DizietErr, Zeno.06:55
DizietI've been doing too much Xen.06:55
darius_but I don't know how to analyze the problem to produce a useful bug report06:55
mdkedarius_, use "top" to see which process is taking up the cpu, then file a bug?06:56
DizietIs it know that the daily livecd's installer crashes just when you tell it to restart ? :-)06:56
=== mvo__ [n=egon@p54A658E3.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
darius_mdke: no process is claiming the cpu usage06:57
DizietI have to copy-type the URL from the dialogue box !06:58
Robot101Diziet: did they show any signs of having fixed or responded to the broken network back-end checksum offloading flags?07:00
=== FunnyLookinHat [n=FunnyLoo@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jamesh_ [n=james@203-59-208-190.dyn.iinet.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
DizietRobot101: I've not heard anything but it's been a while since I caught up on the xen-devel list.07:05
=== Harti [n=Harti@dslb-082-083-253-226.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ograKamion, https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-devel/2006-April/001353.html please see the last bulletpoint, can we manage that alone or should we leave the decision to the CC ?07:10
DizietOMG.  The dapper beta's partition discoverer has dug into my LVM system to find the volumes belonging to frozen Xen images ...07:10
jdubDiziet: NO ONE IS SAFE07:11
=== human_blip [n=mike@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
DizietYou may remember me having to reinstall my laptop at UBZ because Breezy had found my suspended fs's and replayed the journal, and then when I resumed it the journal got replayed again.07:12
FunnyLookinHatOn latest updates:07:12
FunnyLookinHatE: /var/cache/apt/archives/xserver-xorg_7.0.0-0ubuntu31_i386.deb: subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 207:12
DizietBut this is much worse.07:12
ograFunnyLookinHat, topic07:13
=== Fjodor [n=sune@0x55510b65.adsl.cybercity.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
bddebianAh, that xorg bug if fscking my kubuntu install :'-(07:17
KamionDiziet: not heard of a crash on reboot before07:18
KamionI'll make the URL bit selectable07:19
=== Ubugtu_1 [n=bugbot@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
DizietKamion: thanks.  You see no doubt that I've reported the crash too.07:20
=== erez [n=erez@85-250-28-232.bb.netvision.net.il] has joined #ubuntu-devel
DizietAlso, now I've reported that volume management bug which is going to really bite me badly now.  If I can't install without it trashing other stuff on the machine without even asking I'm going to have serious trouble testing it !07:21
DizietMaybe I should encrypt my LVM setup to defend it against new dapper installs :-).07:21
=== Ubugtu [n=bugbot@www.binaries4all.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dsas [n=dean@host81-158-82-72.range81-158.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zAo^ [n=zao@zAo.xs4all.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== soumyadip [n=soumyadi@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ozamosi [n=chatzill@h119n13c1o1049.bredband.skanova.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sivangbddebian: in what way is Xorg broken?07:34
ograbddebian, and why did you break it07:35
bddebiansivang: post inst borkage I think07:35
bddebianogra: For fun? :-)07:35
ograah, i knew you were bored about all this scilab rebuilds07:35
bddebianogra: No, that's just my stupidity :-(07:36
bddebianOhh, a kubuntu splash screen, I'm getting there07:36
sivangogra: can't be that he broke it :)07:36
sivangI don't believe it07:36
ograsivang, but you seem to think he knows why its broken :P07:37
bddebianHmm, dunno if I like the login screen for kubuntu07:37
sivang/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/config: line 973: syntax error near unexpected token `)'07:37
sivangbddebian: is that what you get?07:37
sivangogra: :)07:37
ograsivang, topic :)+07:38
Mithrandirsivang: already fixed.07:38
sivangMithrandir: cool, /me hugs07:38
bddebianHey, what's with Gnome still coming up.. Hmm07:39
sivangmy thinkpad buttons stopped working07:42
sivang(vol up/down)07:42
=== raphink-pbook [n=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiRiddell: http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/langpacks/ has fresh langpacks; can you please test the KDE ones?07:58
pittiRiddell: this is the first time we include KDE translations from Rosetta07:58
pitticarlos: ^ can you test the Spanish ones?07:58
=== AnsiC [n=user@host-84-220-143-63.cust-adsl.tiscali.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
AnsiCsource /home/user/VARIABLES/directories08:05
AnsiCmkdir -p $BINUTILS_BD && cd $BINUTILS_BD08:05
AnsiC$BINUTILS_SD/configure --prefix=/usr --disable-nls08:05
AnsiCmake configure-host && make LDFLAGS=-all-static 08:05
AnsiCi want install all into /home/user/new_root08:05
AnsiCfor use binutils into chroot enviroment08:05
AnsiCi must write: make install_root=/home/user/new_root ?08:05
AnsiCmake install install_root=/home/user/new_root ?08:06
KamionDiziet: I didn't expect it to be able to get at LVM at all; it's not supposed to support LVM ...08:06
=== Harti [n=Harti@dslb-082-083-253-226.pools.arcor-ip.net] has left #ubuntu-devel ["-carpe]
Kamion#41619 is a regression from beta though, whoops08:07
=== dborg [n=daniel@e182054108.adsl.alicedsl.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
LaserJockKamion: are you talking about ubiquity?08:08
KamionLaserJock: yes08:13
=== dzonni [n=dzonni@217-159-219-166-dsl.est.estpak.ee] has joined #ubuntu-devel
LaserJockKamion: so it designed to not work with LVM? I tryed to install from the Beta livecd but the partitioning was a beast08:14
=== poningru [n=poningru@ip68-226-0-76.ga.at.cox.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
KamionLaserJock: yes, we have enough trouble making it work for everything else without trying to make it work for LVM in the dapper timeframe as well08:15
Kamionthe general structure of the partitioner is unfortunately about the best we can do for dapper now, but there's plenty of scope for bug fixes08:16
=== jvw_ [i=jeroen@220pc220.sshunet.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
LaserJockKamion: is that noted somewhere? It might be nice to have a wiki page that does a compare/contrast of the 2 installers that is linked to the download page08:18
=== human_blip [n=mike@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
LaserJockKamion: In this case I don't think "graphical" vs "text-based" really describes the differences :-)08:19
KamionLaserJock: it's somewhere in the specifications, but yes, we should draw up better documentation pre-dapper08:20
=== pitti starts ppc/live test
Kamionam going to have to rebuild unfortunately08:22
LaserJockKamion: btw, the livecd rocks08:22
pittioh, ok, then I'll wait08:22
Kamionbut go ahead anyway, it'll be a while and the results will probably be mostly good enough08:22
Kamionpitti: no, don't wait :)08:22
=== pitti proceeds
pittiKamion: shall I try a reiserfs installation this time?08:23
Kamionchanges will be roughly (a) remove libreiserfs0.3-0 (b) fix reboot step (c) fix crash in KDE partitioner if I can08:23
Kamionpitti: if you do 'apt-get --purge remove libreiserfs0.3-0' first, sure08:23
Kamionit'll remove ubuntu-minimal and ubuntu-base too08:23
pittiright, that's what I had in mind08:23
pittioh, and when I try the amd64 install, I will install to /dev/hdc2 to finally check this grub install bug again08:24
pittiis there any KDE user around here who would be willing to test new language packs?08:25
Kamionshame I have to rebuild though, today's images were looking golden :/08:25
=== pitti pats Ka'to boldly install what noone installed before'mion
Kamionthe decision to add a crash handler was the right one, even though it feels like admitting defeat; today's bug reports have been an order of magnitude better than previous ones08:26
pittiKamion: enabling verbose logging by default should help, too, I guess?08:27
pittithe ESPRESSO_DEBUG=1 trick was pretty non-obvious08:27
=== ssam [n=ssam@80-41-50-207.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionpitti: it's only a little more verbose now; I can't turn it all the way on because it's inconveniently hard to stop debconf logging the password in its debug mode08:28
=== Seveas [n=seveas@ubuntu/member/seveas] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionso I can't get debconf debugging, which was really the most useful08:28
Kamionbut better than nothing08:28
pittiwow, ubiquity took an enormous amount of time to start up, but maybe that's just me08:31
=== LeeJunFan [n=junfan@s64-186-37-84.skycon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiKamion: oh, btw, do you use Rosetta translations for ubiquity now? I'd like to complete the German translation08:32
Kamionpitti: yeah, although sometimes it requires adding translations to the regular installer too08:32
Kamion(but that's really a feature)08:33
=== Kamion has to run to karate, so this ubiquity upload will have to wait until I get back; see you later
pittiKamion: enjoy!08:33
=== pitti greets Kamion with a Kihap :)
=== Fjodor [n=sune@0x55510b65.adsl.cybercity.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Zauberer [n=Miranda@ppp-82-135-9-44.mnet-online.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== raphink-pbook [n=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-devel
carlospitti: Please, wait until tomorrow's export to do a new language packs upload 09:00
carlosyou will get more than 100 new translation domains 09:01
=== hunger [n=tobias@p54A61BCF.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pitticarlos: ok, fine for me09:01
poningruI wanted to write a spec on the wiki for easyencryption but it wont let me, what can I do?09:01
ograponingru, #launchpad09:04
poningruoh sorry09:04
bddebianw00t, I have KDEage09:08
ograbddebian, kde age ? below 15 ?09:09
=== ogra hides from Riddell's wrath
Treenaksogra: hey, that's remarkable close too gentoo-age ;)09:10
=== Treenaks goes in hiding as well
bddebianbah :-)09:13
=== freeflying-ibook [n=freeflyi@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cassidy [n=cassidy@f1-pc174.ulb.ac.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Fjodor [n=sune@0x55510b65.adsl.cybercity.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
crimsunshould I be addressing universe/multiverse uploads being dropped silently in here or in #launchpad?09:19
pitticrimsun: cprov is the man to talk to09:21
pitticrimsun: so, #launchpad probably09:21
crimsunpitti: thanks09:21
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@ubuntu/member/ivoks] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti writes 'apt-bet' and notices that this is a pretty funny tyop
pittitypo even (d'oh)09:28
=== Tm_T [n=tm_travo@xob.kapsi.fi] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittihi ivoks 09:28
ivokspitti: i saw one package with 1> /dev/bull :)09:28
=== dholbach did that mistake :)
=== dholbach hugs ivoks
pittihi dhugbach!09:29
ivokspitti: what do you say about idea for cups browsing?09:30
pittiivoks: sounds pretty good actuall09:30
pittiivoks: however, "Browsing on" still has to be enabled for exporting printers IIRC09:31
pittiivoks: but I'd be fine with /usr/share/cups/enable_sharing as an enable_browsing counterpart09:31
pittiand adding that to gnome-cups-manager09:31
pittipatches appreciated, though, ENOTIME :/09:31
pittiI need to catch up with some non-printing stuff now09:31
ivoksok, i'll try to manage something by the end of the day/week :)09:32
pitticool :)09:32
=== Tonio_ [n=tonio@tonio.planetemu.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiivoks: the good thing is that ports.conf is already separated, so we don't need to hack the main conffile09:32
ivoksmy solution was in that direction, so we don't have to change anything09:33
ivoksexcept needed09:33
=== Hwyvar [n=Ferdinan@cp106356-c.tilbu1.nb.home.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittidoko: you set bug 39604 to 'in progress' - do you have any patch pending for that?09:41
UbugtuMalone bug 39604 in gnome-cups-manager "gnome-cups-add can take a long time to start up, with no user feedback" [Minor,In progress]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/3960409:41
pittiKamion: ppc ubiquity installation success (on reiserfs with libreiserfs purged, no network, German locale)09:42
=== Tm_T [i=tm_travo@xob.kapsi.fi] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Surak [n=Surak@201009098083.user.veloxzone.com.br] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ivokspitti: what do you say enable_sharing triggers enable_browsing?09:48
=== Surak [n=Surak@201009098083.user.veloxzone.com.br] has left #ubuntu-devel []
ivoksbetter not...09:49
pittiivoks: I didn't really verify that Browsing must be on for exports to work; if that is really the case, that seems logical09:49
=== dborg` [n=daniel@e182057213.adsl.alicedsl.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ivoksit must be09:49
ivoksbut this isn't logical (restarting cups twice)09:50
Mithrandirpitti: do we have any reports on broken cups/gs/hpijs along the lines of "won't print anything except garbage"?09:50
Mithrandirpitti: (my printer is an hp lj1100a)09:50
ivoks1100? isn't that winprinter?09:51
Mithrandirno, PCL09:51
pittiMithrandir: with hplip?09:51
Mithrandirpitti: I'm not sure of the distinction between hpijs and hplip; there's an hpijs process, no hplip processes09:52
pittiMithrandir: not against cupsys at least09:52
Mithrandirpitti: what's a good place to start debugging?09:52
pittiMithrandir: oh, I neither know hplip nor hpijs, I don't have such a printer09:52
Mithrandirheh, ok09:53
Mithrandirthis used to work some time ago, so it's a regression09:53
pittiMithrandir: if it's just garbabe, then I'd start with checking mime type detection09:53
MithrandirPCL looks pretty much like garbage, though09:53
pittiMithrandir: you should set LogLevel to 'debug' in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf09:53
pittiMithrandir: and tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log09:53
pittiMithrandir: this should log mime types and such09:53
pittiMithrandir: does printing a test page in the cups web interface do the same?09:54
dokopitti: yes, an ugly one09:55
=== jdong [n=jdong@ubuntu/member/jdong] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mithrandirpitti: let's see about the test page.09:55
Mithrandirpitti: yes, same kind of garbage too.09:56
pittidoko: busy cursor, or a dialog?09:56
pittiMithrandir: so it either uses the wrong printer driver or it tries to print PCL as ASCII, or so?09:57
Mithrandirpitti: yes, and it's certainly not postscript what it's printing so I suspect the latter09:58
pittihm, I really have no clue about hp{lip,ijs} - doko, do you know how it works in principle?10:00
dokopitti: neither. a progress bar didn't work (the loading of the printer list uses gtk/glade and cannot run in a separate thread, cursor: don't know ... nothing is displayed. so it's just a box saying "lReading ..."10:03
=== pef [n=loic@ubuntu/member/pef] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== poningru [n=poningru@ip68-226-0-76.ga.at.cox.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== KaiL [n=KaiL@p548F6D70.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokoMithrandir: does the ljet4 driver work?10:07
=== pitti tests the amd64 live CD, bbl
Mithrandirdoko: let's see.10:10
=== seth|lappy [n=seth@ubuntu/member/seth] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mithrandirdoko: nope10:11
dokoMithrandir: would be interesting to see what breezy did use10:12
=== Tm_T [i=tm_travo@xob.kapsi.fi] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mithrandirdoko: as in what it output?10:12
dokoMithrandir: yes, if it works at all, and with which driver10:13
Mithrandirdoko: it worked fine and with the ljet4 driver, iirc.10:14
=== pitti_live [n=ubuntu@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
MithrandirI wonder if: [ 1936.083230]  DMA write timed out10:16
Mithrandirhas anything to do with it.10:16
dokoparallel port?10:17
=== pef_ [n=loic@dyn-83-157-215-162.ppp.tiscali.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mithrandirok, turning off ECP fixed it.10:25
dokoMithrandir: but with the hplip driver?10:27
Mithrandirthat was with ljet4, trying with hpijs now10:28
Mithrandiryup, worked too10:29
=== Hirion [n=hirion@draugr.de] has left #ubuntu-devel []
dokocan you detect if ECP is turned on in the BIOS?10:30
Mithrandirwell, the kernel said Apr 26 21:47:24 xoog kernel: [  189.402623]  lp0: ECP mode10:30
Mithrandirso yes, the kernel can, at least10:30
=== seth|lappy [n=seth@ubuntu/member/seth] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pef__ [n=loic@dyn-83-157-215-224.ppp.tiscali.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pitti_liveMithrandir: could be a bit related to bug 2905010:37
UbugtuMalone bug 29050 in cupsys "cupsys does not automatically detect parallel printer" [Major,Needs info]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/2905010:37
Mithrandirpitti_live: it appears to fix itself when I turned off ECP though10:37
pitti_liveMithrandir: I asked the bugs which indicate parallel printer problems about checking for ECP/EPP10:37
pitti_liveMithrandir: if that reveals some consistency, I'll bug upstream about it10:37
pitti_liveMithrandir: from the bug reports it seems that this worked in breezy, though, so it smells like a cups regression10:38
pitti_liveMithrandir: thanks for hunting it10:38
=== freeflying-ibook [n=freeflyi@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mithrandirpitti_live: I could always try to run a breezy kernel on this machine to see if it fixes it.  If so, it's mostly a smogb.10:39
pitti_liveMithrandir: right, and/or the breezy cups debs on dapper10:40
pitti_liveMithrandir: they work, if you install libgnutls1110:40
pitti_liveMithrandir: that would rock!10:40
pitti_liveI'm rebooting now, brb10:40
dholbachsee you10:42
=== pitti [n=pitti@ubuntu/member/pitti] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiKamion: amd64/live ubiquity install worked fine, too10:48
=== jinty [n=jinty@84.Red-83-55-199.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== LeeJunFan [n=junfan@s64-186-37-120.skycon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== LaserJock [n=mantha@ubuntu/member/laserjock] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== farruinn [n=farruinn@ssprange-3.umm.maine.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Kamionpitti: thanks11:08
Kamionpitti: Kihap?11:08
pittiKamion: it's the 'battle yell' in Korean (for Taekwondo)11:09
Kamionah, karate equivalent = kiai11:09
pittiah, nice to know :)11:10
=== j_ack [n=nico@p508DC2DC.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Firetech [n=Jocke@h78n2fls311o1100.telia.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Firetech [n=Jocke@h78n2fls311o1100.telia.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== bddebian goes all Shaolin on Kamion
Seveaspitti, re bug 41659: kamion just really wants you to run memtest ;)11:20
UbugtuMalone bug 41659 in ubiquity "memtest entry grows longer and longer in installed grub menu.lst" [Normal,Unconfirmed]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/4165911:20
Kamionheh, a fun side-effect of the use of os-prober in grub-installer11:21
KamionI think we have another bug filed along those lines somewhere, although the symptoms are different11:21
pittiSeveas: no, it's a s3kr3t way of tracing and logging all my installation attempts :)11:22
SeveasColin "Big Brother" Watson 11:23
Kamionis Luka Renko here?11:24
SeveasLure, ?11:24
KamionLure: please be more careful about duplicating bugs; 41618 and 41619 aren't11:24
Kamionah, I see you already unduplicated it, never mind11:24
LureKamion: yep, seen immediately and removed duplicate mark11:24
Kamioncool, thanks11:30
=== GmanAFK is now known as Gman
=== mxpxpod_ [n=BryanFor@wuw-ojr3gmca.dybb.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mxpxpod__ [n=BryanFor@wuw-ojr3gmca.dybb.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== welshbyte [n=welshbyt@cpc3-cwma2-0-0-cust276.swan.cable.ntl.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@ubuntu/member/ivoks] has joined #ubuntu-devel

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!