=== j_ack [n=rudi@p508D8782.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== poningru [n=poningru@ip70-171-62-28.ga.at.cox.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== zul [n=chuck@CPE0006258ec6c1-CM000a73655d0e.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
UbugtuSchedule for Etc/UTC: 09 Oct 14:00: MOTU | 10 Oct 20:00: Technical Board | 11 Oct 20:00: Edubuntu | 12 Oct 15:00: Ubuntu Development Team | 17 Oct 12:00: Community Council | 18 Oct 12:00: Edubuntu12:59
zul@schedule montreal12:59
UbugtuSchedule for America/Montreal: 09 Oct 10:00: MOTU | 10 Oct 16:00: Technical Board | 11 Oct 16:00: Edubuntu | 12 Oct 11:00: Ubuntu Development Team | 17 Oct 08:00: Community Council | 18 Oct 08:00: Edubuntu12:59
Hawkwind@schedule chicago01:00
UbugtuSchedule for America/Chicago: 09 Oct 09:00: MOTU | 10 Oct 15:00: Technical Board | 11 Oct 15:00: Edubuntu | 12 Oct 10:00: Ubuntu Development Team | 17 Oct 07:00: Community Council | 18 Oct 07:00: Edubuntu01:00
=== tonyyarusso [n=anthony@d235-162-0.home1.cgocable.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tonyyaru1so [n=anthony@d235-240-148.home1.cgocable.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== freeflying|away [n=freeflyi@ubuntu/member/freeflying] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== j_ack [n=rudi@p508D8782.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== licio [n=licio@ubuntu/member/licio] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== j_ack [n=rudi@p508D8782.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== j_ack [n=rudi@p508D8782.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== amachu [n=amachu@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== rodarvus [n=rodarvus@ubuntu/member/rodarvus] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== zul_ [n=chuck@CPE0006258ec6c1-CM000a73655d0e.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Linuturk [n=Linuturk@] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Leaving"]
=== Hobbsee [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== ogra [n=ogra@ubuntu/member/ogra] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
freeflying|away@schedule Shanghai04:56
UbugtuSchedule for Asia/Shanghai: 09 Oct 22:00: MOTU | 11 Oct 04:00: Technical Board | 12 Oct 04:00: Edubuntu | 12 Oct 23:00: Ubuntu Development Team | 17 Oct 20:00: Community Council | 18 Oct 20:00: Edubuntu04:56
=== Huahua [n=hua_@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Hobbsee [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== freeflying [n=freeflyi@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tonyyarusso [n=anthony@d235-240-148.home1.cgocable.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tonyyarusso [n=anthony@d235-240-148.home1.cgocable.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tomveens [n=tomveens@ztn-c-1566b.adsl.wanadoo.nl] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
=== Burgundavia [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== raphink [n=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== freeflying [n=freeflyi@ubuntu/member/freeflying] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Hobbsee [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== highvolt1ge [n=jono@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tonyyaru1so [n=anthony@d235-240-148.home1.cgocable.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== jenda [n=jenda@ubuntu/member/jenda] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== robitaille [n=daniel@ubuntu/member/robitaille] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Fujitsu [n=Fujitsu@ubuntu/member/fujitsu] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Lure [n=lure@ubuntu/member/lure] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== DBO [n=DBO@unaffiliated/dbo] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== dholbach [n=daniel@i577B2173.versanet.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
siretart@time europe08:58
siretart@time berlin08:59
UbugtuCurrent time in Europe/Berlin: October 09 2006, 08:59:12 - Next meeting: MOTU in 7 hours 0 minutes08:59
ajmitchhi siretart  :)08:59
siretartheyho ajmitch!08:59
GNAM@schedule rome08:59
UbugtuSchedule for Europe/Rome: 09 Oct 16:00: MOTU | 10 Oct 22:00: Technical Board | 11 Oct 22:00: Edubuntu | 12 Oct 17:00: Ubuntu Development Team | 17 Oct 14:00: Community Council | 18 Oct 14:00: Edubuntu08:59
=== dous [n=dous@ubuntu/member/dous] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== freeflying|away [n=freeflyi@ubuntu/member/freeflying] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== dholbach hugs siretart
=== siretart waves back
=== raphink [n=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Burgundavia [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mvo [n=egon@p54A672BB.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== ogra [n=ogra@ubuntu/member/ogra] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Burgundavia [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Tonio__ [n=tonio@6.8.100-84.rev.gaoland.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
sivang@schdule Israel10:47
sivang@schedule Israel10:47
UbugtuSchedule for Israel: 09 Oct 16:00: MOTU | 10 Oct 22:00: Technical Board | 11 Oct 22:00: Edubuntu | 12 Oct 17:00: Ubuntu Development Team | 17 Oct 14:00: Community Council | 18 Oct 14:00: Edubuntu10:47
=== jenda [n=jenda@ubuntu/member/jenda] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mvo [n=egon@p54A672BB.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== lucas [n=lucas@ubuntu/member/lucas] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
lucas@schedule paris11:20
UbugtuSchedule for Europe/Paris: 09 Oct 16:00: MOTU | 10 Oct 22:00: Technical Board | 11 Oct 22:00: Edubuntu | 12 Oct 17:00: Ubuntu Development Team | 17 Oct 14:00: Community Council | 18 Oct 14:00: Edubuntu11:20
lucasok, won't make it.11:20
UbugtuCurrent time in Etc/UTC: October 09 2006, 09:38:35 - Next meeting: MOTU in 4 hours 21 minutes11:38
=== linfeng [n=linfeng@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== ogra [n=ogra@ubuntu/member/ogra] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== pradeep [n=pradeep@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== gnomefreak [n=gnomefre@ubuntu/member/gnomefreak] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== finalbeta [n=finalbet@d5152A68A.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== geser [n=michael@dialin110158.justdsl.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Burgundavia [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== rodarvus [n=rodarvus@ubuntu/member/rodarvus] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== dous [n=dous@ubuntu/member/dous] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== jsgotangco [n=jsg123@ubuntu/member/jsgotangco] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== zul [n=chuck@CPE0006258ec6c1-CM000a73655d0e.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Hobbsee [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== JanC [n=janc@lugwv/member/JanC] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== freeflying [n=freeflyi@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== raphink [n=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
freeflying@schedule Shanghai02:46
UbugtuSchedule for Asia/Shanghai: 09 Oct 22:00: MOTU | 11 Oct 04:00: Technical Board | 12 Oct 04:00: Edubuntu | 12 Oct 23:00: Ubuntu Development Team | 17 Oct 20:00: Community Council | 18 Oct 20:00: Edubuntu02:46
=== ogra [n=ogra@ubuntu/member/ogra] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== dous [n=dous@ubuntu/member/dous] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== licio [n=licio@ubuntu/member/licio] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== sistpoty [n=sistpoty@ubuntu/member/sistpoty] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== yarddog [n=kibozo@unaffiliated/yarddog] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== gnomefreak [n=gnomefre@ubuntu/member/gnomefreak] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tony_ [n=tony@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== freeflying [n=freeflyi@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== ranf [n=ralfm@dslb-084-058-153-114.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== rmjb [n=richard@cuscon20543.tstt.net.tt] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== sfllaw [i=sfllaw@debian/developer/coleSLAW] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== ..[topic/#ubuntu-meeting:Ubugtu] : Current meeting: MOTU | Calendar: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/event | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/ | 10 Oct 20:00 UTC: Technical Board | 11 Oct 20:00 UTC: Edubuntu | 12 Oct 15:00 UTC: Ubuntu Development Team | 17 Oct 12:00 UTC: Community Council | 18 Oct 12:00 UTC: Edubuntu
freeflying@schedule Shanghai03:55
UbugtuSchedule for Asia/Shanghai: Current meeting: MOTU | 11 Oct 04:00: Technical Board | 12 Oct 04:00: Edubuntu | 12 Oct 23:00: Ubuntu Development Team | 17 Oct 20:00: Community Council | 18 Oct 20:00: Edubuntu03:55
sivangso, MOTU meeting is now?03:56
=== TheMuso [n=luke@ubuntu/member/themuso] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
dholbachanytime soon, yes03:56
Toadstoolhey here03:57
=== j_ack [n=rudi@p508DB676.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
freeflyinghi all03:58
=== lionelp [n=lionel@ip-128.net-82-216-65.rev.numericable.fr] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Gloubiboulga [n=gauvain@ubuntu/member/gloubiboulga] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tortoise_ [n=tortoise@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
dholbachOK everybody - welcome to the MOTU meeting04:01
GloubiboulgaI can only stay ten minutes :/04:01
dholbachWe try to keep this meeting short, as we all want to get back to fixing the last bugs in Edgy. :-)04:01
dholbachOur agenda is quite short, it's over here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Meetings04:01
dholbachFirst point on the agenda is: "Prepare check lists for Universe/Multiverse for release."04:01
dholbachIn the previous release cycles we always had lists of things we wanted to get done04:02
=== Burgundavia [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== minghua [n=minghua@danube.mems.rice.edu] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
dholbachlike the python transition, the unmet dependency lists, ftbfs lists and other transitions04:02
dholbachnot to forget: Bug lists!04:02
dholbachWhat do we have on the plate for Edgy release?04:02
FujitsuWe ideally need to get a FTBFS list, 'cause an unmet deps. list is trivial...04:03
=== StevenK [n=stevenk@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
dholbach1) UnmetDeps list - easy to do, we can massfile bugs on that one04:03
dholbach2) for the FTBFS list we can take the list of failed builds on launchpad04:04
dholbachbecause I think that Adam (infinity) is too busy to do an archive rebuild at this stage.04:04
Fujitsudholbach, not really. A lot of things haven't been built in ages.04:04
FujitsuYeah, true.04:04
dholbachif anybody else has a feasible idea on that one, I'm all ears. :-)04:04
=== sfllaw [i=sfllaw@debian/developer/coleSLAW] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
dholbachDo we have any open transitions we don't get by looking at the unmet deps list?04:05
=== givr1 [n=Florent@APuteaux-152-1-17-31.w82-120.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
sivangdholbach: what about the python transition, is it all done ?04:05
dholbachsivang: for Universe: I doubt it04:06
sivangI see :-/04:06
dholbachsivang: doko_ fixed a lot and synced a lot from Debian, but I guess it's not complete (for Universe)04:06
sivangyes, I see04:06
dholbachOk - anything else specific for the last days before release?04:06
=== _MMA_ [n=mma@cpe-071-070-203-016.nc.res.rr.com] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
dholbach(If you can think of anything later on, just mail ubuntu-motu@)04:07
siretartdholbach: we have that gnustep transition open04:08
dholbachsiretart: ah! how many packages does that involve?04:08
siretartdholbach: you surely remember a series of UVF exceptions the last dats04:08
dholbachsiretart: yeah I do - are there other packages involved?04:08
siretartdholbach: I'm not sure as I'm not familiar with gnustep at all04:08
dholbachI see04:08
dholbachI'll follow up with him.04:09
siretartI remember a message from debian-release@lists.debian.org, that this transition isn't complete even in debian/etch04:09
dholbachI'll write him after the meeting - let's hope we get that done for release04:09
sistpotywhat's that transition about... I remember quite a bunch of gnustep uploads at the beginning of edgy...04:10
geserthe gnustep transition will need several packages to be rebuilt or synced but I haven't checked in detail yet04:10
geserI'm still trying to get all pieces built04:10
minghuagnustep transition is almost finished in Debian from what I read from debian-release list04:10
minghuasome packages are still in NEW04:11
gesergnustep-back needs to be built04:11
sivangyes, also curious to know what the gnustep transition is about04:11
sistpotymaybe s.o. could investigate and post to ubuntu-motu@l.u.c?04:11
dholbachOk, that sounds as if we're on a good way to get it fixed.04:11
siretartyes, lets not block the meeting with that transitions. let's move on04:12
dholbachFor Universe/Multiverse Bugs:         1   75  of 2778 results            is, what I currently see.04:12
dholbachWhat is a good way to address those bugs?04:12
dholbach( http://tinyurl.com/p7moy )04:12
StevenKdholbach: Close the lot of them, of course.04:12
FujitsuWrite a script that iterates through and rejects them. Problem solved.04:13
StevenKdholbach: Some of those 2778 probably apply to Hoary which can be found and slaughtered.04:13
FujitsuWe have a bug-free universe.04:13
dholbachI'm sure that a lot of old ones can indeed be rejected.04:13
FujitsuStevenK, probably.04:13
dholbachthat's rather a task for the opening of edgy+104:13
dholbachin the process of uploading a fix for universe and multiverse in the last days we should always make sure to check the bugs in launchpad for that package04:14
dholbachthat way we can easily find bugs that can be closed with the upload and some even point to the debian bug with a patch04:14
FujitsuI've generally tried to do that for all of my uploads.04:14
dholbachFujitsu: Good work!04:14
dholbach1   75  of 157 results     Uni/Multiverse bugs with patches04:15
dholbachthose are lowhanging fruit, I guess04:15
siretartdholbach: I don't really see what we as motu team can decide or discuss about high bugnumbers, besides encouraging to participate in bug squashing sessions04:15
dholbachI'll write a mail to ubuntu-motu@ about that later on04:15
dholbachsiretart: I only try to identify low-hanging fruit04:15
dholbachthings we can get fixed easily.04:16
siretartdholbach: what we can do is to try to create reports about how many bugs we have open, how many are confirmed, important and have a patch, and list them in a report04:16
=== StevenK makes a note to look at some of the bugs with patches when uni work has sent him insane.
dholbachsiretart: nice idea - that would go well into a MOTU section on UWN04:16
sistpotyfrom taking a glimpse on some bugs, some basic triaging (getting info etc.) might help... maybe we could do a hug day?04:16
siretartin the hope that this encourages uploaders actually looking at bugs. debian has a weekly report about RC bugs04:16
dholbachsistpoty: sure - sfllaw will be happy to see some people working on universe packages04:16
dholbachOk, I'll write a mail about Universe bugs.04:17
sistpotydholbach: great!04:17
dholbachWho wants to massfile bugs on unmet deps?04:17
dholbachI have a script for that - but if somebody else wants to do that, that's cool04:18
FujitsuI can do it, if others won't :)04:18
dholbachFujitsu: I think I'll also point to the failed builds on launchpad04:18
dholbachFujitsu: http://daniel.holba.ch/bzr/massfile04:18
sistpotywould be good to have the packagename in the bug title (i guess that was a script bug last time *g*) ;)04:18
dholbachhehe :-)04:18
dholbachok, let's move on - if some of you have clever ideas which bugs/fixes to address - follow up on the mailing list04:18
siretartand tag them! :)04:19
dholbach2) Find agreement on StableReleaseUpdates for Universe/Multiverse04:19
FujitsuYes, that's particularly important to me, as I've got an update or two that need doing ;)04:19
siretartdholbach: 1st question: do we have a -proposed upload target for universe?04:19
dholbachUsually shortly after releases we get lots of requests for updates to <stable>-updated04:19
dholbachsiretart: I'm not quite sure, I'll investigate and let you all know.04:20
=== dous [n=dous@ubuntu/member/dous] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
sistpotyjust curious: did anyone do a SRU for uni/multiverse recently?04:20
dholbachnot recently04:20
siretartdholbach: is someone only who we can ask? because I think this could be important for our further discussion of this point04:20
siretarts/only/online/. gnarf04:21
siretartsistpoty: I think LaserJock tried to do one, but mdz told him that we need a process for that first04:21
=== lfittl is now here too, sry for being late
siretartsistpoty: thats why we are discussion that here04:21
dholbachI asked in #ubuntu-devel04:21
sistpotyimo the entry barrier as proposed in SRU-updates is too high for universe... 04:22
dholbachthat's my feeling too, sistpoty04:22
Fujitsusiretart, I see an SRU for matplotlib by LaserJock.04:22
sistpotymaybe we could get s.th. like motu-uvf in place for SRU policies and just get a final ack after the -proposed upload from ubuntu-archive?04:22
siretartFujitsu: oh. i see04:22
dholbach<dholbach> What is the current state of -proposed? Does it work? Does it work for universe and multiverse as well?04:22
sivangwhat's the SRU?04:22
dholbach<Kamion> dholbach: working but restricted by policy (StableReleaseUpdates); yes; yes04:22
dholbachsivang: STABLE RELEASE UPDATES04:22
sivangdholbach: ah, right, sorry ! :-)04:22
dholbach*cough* :)04:22
=== StevenK waits for his ears to stop ringing.
siretartI like sistpoty's idea (in fact, I wanted to propose something similar)04:23
dholbachsistpoty: how do you think the testing process should work?04:23
=== mindspin [n=mindspin@p54B24C3B.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
dholbach... testing part of the process ...04:23
sistpotydholbach: just some ideas so far...:04:24
sistpotyonly updates allowed with bug numbers04:24
=== mindspin [n=mindspin@p54B24C3B.dip.t-dialin.net] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Konversation]
sistpotythen we could "abuse" the ppl. filing the bugs to participate in testing04:24
siretart(they are likely interested in actually testing fixed packages)04:25
sistpotythe motu-uvf-alike team would also need to do some basic tests I guess04:25
dholbachyeah that's the interesting part of the question: who do we ask to test?04:25
dholbachbug reporters: good idea04:25
siretartdholbach: the bug submitters and subscribed ppl to that lp bug04:26
dholbachmotu-uvf: bad idea - too much mails already ;-)04:26
dholbachsiretart: do you think that's enough?04:26
siretartdholbach: let's call that group 'motu-sru'04:26
sistpotyof course the uploader needs to test thoroughly *g*04:26
siretartdholbach: I think yes. we cannot afford the same level of testing as in main04:27
dholbachand that would be people who agree to do tests in the stable release now and then?04:27
dholbachrmjb: upstream version freeze04:27
dholbachWhat about mailing them to UWN and announcing them - for people to test and have a look?04:27
siretartdholbach: I don't understand, announce what exactly?04:27
dholbachthat would make sure we have a reasonably big tester community04:27
dholbach"fixed packages of <...> available for testing."04:28
siretartin form of a report section of UWN? sounds great!04:28
minghuasounds a good idea, but I'm not sure how well that will work04:28
FujitsuAlthough some bugs already have large communities built up around them, so have a large testing ground already :P04:28
sistpotydholbach: sounds great... maybe we could increase the testing time a little bit (2-4 weaks?)?04:28
Toadstooldholbach: and point the testers to the sru bug report, otherwise we'll get a whole load of dupes :)04:28
sivangYes, sounds like UWN would encourage people to do testing.04:29
siretartminghua: we have to test. do you have another proposal?04:29
dholbachbecause we need to get thorough testing done: be honest: all of us run the development release and seldomly test stuff in the last stable04:29
minghuaI have some input method related package I want to propose for SRU, but I doubt many testers are interested in testing them04:29
sistpotydholbach: so that proposed will become a kind of testing *g*04:29
dholbachsistpoty: >= 2 weeks - yes, what I thought04:29
sivangdholbach: well, setting up a dapper chroot is not hard :)04:29
siretartdholbach: how does the -propsed queue work? do uploads get automatically built and published?04:29
minghuasiretart: not really, but I think the uploader/proposer should be more responsible04:29
dholbachsivang: thoroughly using it, is04:30
dholbachminghua: we have a cjk-testers team in launchpad - maybe you could subscribe them to that bug?04:30
dholbachsiretart: yes, in the <stable>-proposed section04:30
sistpotyjust a side though: we should try to limit new upstream versions though, maybe only for utterly broken packages or small diffs, since these would be a target for -backports imo04:30
sivangso, that measn testers will have to have another box runnign dapper..04:30
minghuadholbach: a lot of bugs I want to fix have cjk-testers subscribed, not much activity from what I see04:31
dholbachsistpoty: agreed04:31
siretartdholbach: cool. I imagined that would be a moderated queue, similar to NEW or something04:31
sivangsistpoty: indeed, make a lot of sense.04:31
dholbachminghua: you could try to prod jono about making the team more active - maybe ask in the loco teams to get people involved there04:31
Fujitsusistpoty, of course.04:31
minghuadholbach: sure, I'll think more about this04:31
dholbachWow, looks like we got some good ideas on that one.04:31
minghuaI'm just expressing my interest on SRU for universe here :-)04:32
=== tomveens [n=tomveens@ztn-c-1566b.adsl.wanadoo.nl] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
sistpotyfor testing, maybe we could make some silly "acks >= n" guidelines for packages, to see if updating in fact makes sense04:32
dholbachAnyone wants to add something to it?04:32
dholbachminghua: :-)04:32
freeflyingminghua: anything relate to zh_CN, ubuntu-cn would like test 04:32
minghuaI think strict ack >= n is a good idea04:32
dholbachmight be a bit tough for obscure packages04:33
sivangsistpoty: I'd say not >= , but they will have to provide X benefits on ground which we will update them.04:33
dholbachbut this is something we'll figure out along the way04:33
minghuafreeflying: not really, the things I have in my head is scim-chewing and scim-m17n04:33
minghuafreeflying: but thanks for the information04:33
sivangso having something like "Does it fulfill A,B,C and E? okay let's update"04:33
dholbachWe need to flesh out this process perfectly, so it'll be easy for people to get involved in approving, forwarding, testing, etc04:33
minghuafreeflying: on the other hand, most zh_CN related scim stuff are in main anyway04:33
sistpotyI wouldn't make it a strict policy (as dholbach just mentioned)... but rather a guideline which the sru-team could still override04:33
freeflyingminghua: but we wtill can test04:33
rmjbtesting on stable can be done in a virtual appliance? if users are running development?04:34
dholbachOk - let's put all of this into a wiki page later on and work on it together04:34
sivangrmjb: for sure04:34
minghuaback to the ack >= n thing - if we can't get enough acks, it should mean not many users are interested in this package, shouldn't it?04:34
siretartdid we agree on a 'motu-sru' team? how many members and what quorum do we want to have?04:34
sivangand when Xen is ready in edgy, it will even come out of the box IIRC.04:35
dholbachI have the feeling that we won't solve the process entirely today.04:35
sivangwe need to start with somethign modest,04:35
sivangand refine the process as we go04:35
sistpotyminghua: it would... but some obscure packages that are utterly broken anyway would get of starved from this... so I'd make it just a guideline which can be overridden...04:35
Fujitsudholbach, of course, there is a lot to be decided.04:36
sivangWe can start with a very basic set of guidlines, and see what more we require by experience04:36
rmjbthe sru will also apply to dapper since that's LTS or does that already have something in place?04:36
sistpotyminghua: also, testing by s.o. who's really knowing what he's doing is worth more then 5 tests of ppl. who don't have much clue ;)04:36
minghuafreeflying: you mean ubuntu-cn can still test packages in main, or test packages not about zh_CN?04:36
dholbachI'll start on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Processes/SRU later on and will try to make the wiki page so everybody can add their proposal in easily04:36
dholbachwe should discuss the strict guidelines in another meeting04:36
=== lukas_ [n=lukas@c-68-84-69-12.hsd1.nj.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
siretartor perhaps on the mailing list04:36
dholbachgood idea too04:37
dholbachso it gets some eyeballing before we finally agree in a meeting04:37
freeflyingminghua: we'd like test anything we can do :)04:37
siretartnext item?04:37
=== bddebian [n=bdefrees@mail.ottens.com] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
minghuasistpoty: very true.  if some one is willing to be responsible for the upload, then things can be overridden. :-)04:37
dholbachMOTU Build Farm and Donation (HW, CPU time, and $) process (JordanMantha)04:38
dholbachlaserjock is not here04:38
dholbachI think we probably should leave this one out for the next meeting - what do you guys think?04:38
minghuais TheMuso here?04:38
TheMusoTO be honest, I think its something that should be discussed on the ml.04:38
siretartdholbach: perhaps you can give some details about this proposal?04:38
minghuathe proposal mail to -motu is his04:38
TheMusoIts not something thats easily talked about on IRC>04:38
bddebianI think some should just send me a PPC, Sparc, and amd64 and be done with it.. ;-P04:38
siretartbddebian: I have a spare ultra1 ;)04:39
dholbachsiretart: I have no idea04:39
dholbachsiretart: it's his item :)04:39
siretarthm. the original proposal was from Luke Yelavich 04:40
siretartdholbach: can we abuse edgy-proposed for that?04:40
TheMusoA few of us were talking about it in -motu earlier today, and were throwing ideas around, but due ot the complexity of what might have to be done, I feel it it would be easier on the mailing list.04:40
dholbachsiretart: for what?04:40
FujitsuI think this is fairly important, because I've run into a couple of bugs/FTBFSes in various things that only appear in PPC or [insert other obscure architecture here] . It's pretty much impossible to debug this sort of stuff without access to machines of the target architecture.04:40
siretartdholbach: testuploading packages to see if they build on all architectures or for testing of patches?04:40
FujitsuAnd not all of us have non-x86 machines.04:40
dholbachI don't like the idea much - the buildds are usually somewhat blocked already04:41
TheMusoI wasn't thinking of using the build servers.04:41
siretartdholbach: buildds can be prioritized. I imagine that very low priority04:41
Fujitsu*cough* openoffice *cough* kde *cough*04:41
dholbachnot blocked, but you know that other stuff will be delayed04:41
dholbachI don't like the idea much04:41
TheMusoI am very well aware of their busy schedule.04:42
dholbachyou can ask on #ubuntu-devel - as it's not my decision04:42
sistpotyimo it's not so much the problem to test if a package builds on all arches before a package is uploaded, but rather to get access to arch-xy if there is a build-failer on that arch04:42
TheMusoHas everybody here read the original email I sent?04:42
sistpotyfailure even04:42
minghuaTheMuso: I read :-)04:43
=== sivang looks for the email
minghuaI think TheMuso's idea is not really a build farm, but something like Debian's developer's machine for all archs04:43
minghuawhich MOTUs can log in and do test builds or debugging04:44
minghuaTheMuso: is that correct?04:44
minghuaand in that case we don't need the official buildds04:44
minghuasome machines in a MOTU's house works just fine04:44
TheMusominghua: SOmewhat. I was thinking of something where anybody who has hardware can donate its use for building/testing, but on a purely volintary basis.04:45
FujitsuLike what a couple of people do now.04:45
TheMusoAnd have such systems in place so that if a user donates hardware, but has low bandwidth, their systems only build small packages. Same with CPU speed, and times of day.04:45
TheMusoFujitsu: Exactly.04:45
TheMusoajmitch raised some interesting points about security. I'd have to dig back through my -motu logs to find them however.04:46
_MMA_Hello all. LaserJock and I talked at some length about this. I have a AMD AM2 4600+ machine that I would like to compile packages on. Currently I cant package. I wanna learn but my current situations gives me limited time to learn new things. So we discussed I could process files without configuring everything.04:46
_MMA_I also wanted to donate some $ for hardware.04:47
dholbachCan we start getting ideas together on a wiki page for that?04:48
dholbachIt looks like it's not something we can decide easily04:48
TheMusoThats a good idea.04:48
sistpotyhm... just as a side idea: maybe we could also form amd64/sparc/ppc/whatever teams, that have access to that hw and to whom we could assign arch-specific bugs to. usually it's easy for s.o. who has that arch to fix the bug because he will know what's the problem04:48
StevenKThat's a big assumption.04:49
=== hub [n=hub@toronto-hs-216-138-231-194.s-ip.magma.ca] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
sistpotywell.. usually as in for the easy fixes... of course there are tough tasks, which the team could reject then04:49
StevenKI own an sparc64 and a parisc, doesn't mean I know anything about how the software functions in comparsion to an i38604:49
TheMusoStevenK: Same with myself and my ppc.04:49
=== phanatic_ [n=phanatic@dsl54009F59.pool.t-online.hu] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
rmjbsistpoty: with this proposal the person with the knowledge of the package can fix the bug since they'll have access to the different arches04:50
dholbachwe could add a subpage to the wiki about people and their hardware04:50
sistpotyrmjb: sure... it was just an extra idea on top of that04:50
dholbachand decide on a process to form those teams, etc04:50
tomveenswiki idea: need a spokesperson for the page a one point to communicatie with about HW donation04:50
dholbachhttp://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Machines ;-)04:51
sistpotythe motu-machines :)04:51
dholbachwe can add all the security worries, process ideas, lists, mail addresses, everything to it04:51
tomveenswho's first?04:51
dholbachI suggest we do that before we start to decide on something :)04:52
dholbachbut it was great to see some ideas thrown into the mix ;-)04:52
TheMusodholbach: Agreed. I just wanted to get it out in the open.04:52
dholbachTheMuso: thanks a lot for that.04:52
dholbachnext time and date?04:52
dholbachI'd like to have it after the release04:52
=== lbm [n=lbm@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
FujitsuA couple of days after?04:53
TheMusoDoes anybody mind if I create the wiki page dholbach suggested above04:53
dholbachFujitsu: sounds good04:53
FujitsuGo ahead, dholbach.04:53
=== DBO [n=DBO@unaffiliated/dbo] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
TheMusoSO I can flesh out my original proposal a little more?04:53
dholbachbetween release and UDS, after?04:53
FujitsuOops, *TheMuso, not dholbach.04:53
dholbachOk, we can handle that on the mailing list as well.04:54
dholbachThanks a lot everybody for coming to the meeting!04:54
sistpotythanks for the meeting ;)04:55
dholbachHave a good time until the release - I know you're all going to ROCK!04:55
FujitsuTHanks for running it :)04:55
=== StevenK [n=stevenk@] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
dholbachde rien :)04:55
FujitsuNo, no rocking. Sleeping now :P04:55
=== dholbach goes to write a couple of mails :-)
dholbachFujitsu: sleep tight.04:55
TheMusoFujitsu: SOunds like a plan.04:55
TheMusoThat page is going up tomorrow.04:55
FujitsuThanks dholbach :)04:55
FujitsuGood idea, TheMuso.04:55
Fujitsu'tis late.04:55
FujitsuOr early.04:55
TheMusoYeah. And I don't feel very awake. :p04:56
=== minghua [n=minghua@danube.mems.rice.edu] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Leaving"]
FujitsuSee you all on the morrow.04:56
=== TheMuso [n=luke@ubuntu/member/themuso] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
bddebianHey, what'd I miss.  Can you all start over? ;-P05:06
=== kristog [n=kristog@energ63.energ.polimi.it] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
Hobbseebddebian: heh05:11
=== _MMA_ [n=mma@cpe-071-070-203-016.nc.res.rr.com] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
=== geser [n=michael@dialin110158.justdsl.de] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Leaving"]
=== lupine_85 [n=lupine@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== amachu [n=amachu@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== ..[topic/#ubuntu-meeting:Ubugtu] : Calendar: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/event | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/ | 10 Oct 20:00 UTC: Technical Board | 11 Oct 20:00 UTC: Edubuntu | 12 Oct 15:00 UTC: Ubuntu Development Team | 17 Oct 12:00 UTC: Community Council | 18 Oct 12:00 UTC: Edubuntu | 19 Oct 23:00 UTC: Ubuntu Development Team
=== Burgundavia [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== GNAM [n=GNAM@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== dholbach_ [n=daniel@i577B0D77.versanet.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Lure [n=lure@ubuntu/member/lure] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== cbx33 [n=pete@ubuntu/member/cbx33] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== zul [n=chuck@CPE0006258ec6c1-CM000a73655d0e.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Lure [n=lure@ubuntu/member/lure] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== lucas [n=lucas@ubuntu/member/lucas] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Burgundavia [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Seveas [n=seveas@ubuntu/member/seveas] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== raphink [n=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== superm1 [n=superm1@ubuntu/member/superm1] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== superm1 [n=superm1@ubuntu/member/superm1] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Ex-Chat"]
=== lloydinho [n=andreas@host81-159-84-6.range81-159.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Lure [n=lure@ubuntu/member/lure] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== finalbeta [n=finalbet@d5152A68A.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== finalbeta [n=finalbet@d5152A68A.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Adri2000 [n=Adri2000@unaffiliated/adri2000] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== rodarvus [n=rodarvus@ubuntu/member/rodarvus] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Burgundavia [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== cbx33 [n=pete@ubuntu/member/cbx33] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Leaving"]
=== mc44 [n=mark@ip-81-170-97-35.cust.homechoice.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== zul_ [n=chuck@CPE0006258ec6c1-CM000a73655d0e.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== rodarvus [n=rodarvus@ubuntu/member/rodarvus] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== bddebian [n=bdefrees@mail.ottens.com] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Leaving"]
=== tonyyarusso [n=anthony@d235-240-148.home1.cgocable.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mbamford [n=Matt@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mbamford [n=Matt@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== cbx33 [n=pete@ubuntu/member/cbx33] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== jenda_ [n=jenda@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== jenda [n=jenda@ubuntu/member/jenda] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Huahua [n=hua_@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Lure [n=lure@ubuntu/member/lure] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== j_ack [n=rudi@p508DB676.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== cbx33 [n=pete@ubuntu/member/cbx33] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== joejaxx [i=jadaz87@ubuntu/member/joejaxx] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== gnomefreak [n=gnomefre@ubuntu/member/gnomefreak] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== j_ack [n=rudi@p508DB676.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!