=== pinheiro [n=pinheiro@bl4-207-28.dsl.telepac.pt] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Kopete]
=== lotusleaf [n=lotuslea@kernel-panic/member/carne.asada.burrito] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["clear"]
=== Susana_ [n=Susana@bl6-1-150.dsl.telepac.pt] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mruiz [n=mruiz@pc-134-66-104-200.cm.vtr.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mruiz [n=mruiz@pc-134-66-104-200.cm.vtr.net] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Bytes!"]
=== lamont [i=lamont@nat/hp/x-998d95d432029265] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Ubugtu [n=bugbot@ubuntu/bot/ubugtu] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Burgwork [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== RichEd-1 [n=richard@dsl-241-87-17.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== freeflying [i=flyingfr@ubuntu/member/freeflying] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== DBO [n=DBO@unaffiliated/dbo] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== seele [i=seele@nayuki.caffeine.nu] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
=== freeflying_ [i=flyingfr@gobstopper.dreamhost.com] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mgalvin [n=mgalvin@ubuntu/member/mgalvin] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== licio [n=licio@ubuntu/member/licio] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mruiz [n=mruiz@pc-134-66-104-200.cm.vtr.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Lure [n=lure@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Lure_ [n=lure@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== j_ack [n=rudi@p508D8229.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== j_ack [n=rudi@p508D8229.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tonyyarusso [n=anthony@d235-240-148.home1.cgocable.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Huahua [n=hua_@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== j_ack [n=rudi@p508D8D2D.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== DBO [n=DBO@unaffiliated/dbo] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== terrex [n=terrex@84-122-63-17.onocable.ono.com] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Czubek [n=Damian@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== RichEd-1 [n=richard@dsl-241-87-17.telkomadsl.co.za] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["~>]
=== robitaille [n=daniel@ubuntu/member/robitaille] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== raphink [n=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mruiz [n=mruiz@pc-134-66-104-200.cm.vtr.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Burgundavia [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== jonathan1 [n=jonathan@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== paulvg [n=void@g185112.upc-g.chello.nl] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== simira [n=simira@tellus.err.no] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== gnomefreak [n=gnomefre@ubuntu/member/gnomefreak] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== JanC [n=janc@lugwv/member/JanC] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== DBO [n=DBO@unaffiliated/dbo] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== poningru [n=poningru@ip72-209-68-178.ga.at.cox.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== cyphase [n=cyphase@c-67-180-20-241.hsd1.ca.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Hobbsee [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Riddell [i=jr@muse.19inch.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mruiz [n=mruiz@pc-134-66-104-200.cm.vtr.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== glukerz [n=glukerz@81-203-43-151.user.ono.com] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Mez [n=Mez@ubuntu/member/mez] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== slomo [n=slomo@ubuntu/member/slomo] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== raphink [n=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== dholbach [n=daniel@i577B1553.versanet.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== anibal [n=anibal@debian/developer/anibal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Mez [n=Mez@ubuntu/member/mez] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Mez [n=Mez@ubuntu/member/mez] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Mez [n=Mez@ubuntu/member/mez] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== DBO [n=DBO@unaffiliated/dbo] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Mez [n=Mez@ubuntu/member/mez] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Mez [n=Mez@ubuntu/member/mez] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Mez [n=Mez@ubuntu/member/mez] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mvo [n=egon@p54A67D34.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Huahua [n=hua_@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== cjwatson [n=cjwatson@82-69-40-219.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== MatthewV [n=MatthewV@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== nixternal_ [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Starting logfile irclogs/ubuntu-meeting.log
=== ubuntulog [i=ubuntulo@ubuntu/bot/ubuntulog] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Topic for #ubuntu-meeting: Current meeting: Ubuntu Development Team | Calendar: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/event | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/ | 08 Nov 20:00 UTC: Edubuntu | 15 Nov 12:00 UTC: Edubuntu | 22 Nov 20:00 UTC: Edubuntu | 28 Nov 16:00 UTC: LoCo Team | 29 Nov 12:00 UTC: Edubuntu
=== Topic (#ubuntu-meeting): set by Ubugtu at Thu Nov 2 16:50:37 2006
(cjwatson/#ubuntu-meeting) yes, if you have time, sketching out specs in advance rarely hurts, and saves the rather limited time at the sprint05:53
(cjwatson/#ubuntu-meeting) or possibly gives you more opportunities to consume coffee05:53
(cjwatson/#ubuntu-meeting) pitti: thanks05:54
(cjwatson/#ubuntu-meeting) doko: next05:54
=== Tonio___ [n=tonio@vbo91-1-82-238-217-179.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
dokocjwatson: argh, please delay me to the end05:55
cjwatsonmvo: next05:55
mvoDone: 05:55
mvo- bug triage05:55
mvo- prepared SRU05:55
mvo- research dist-upgrade failure causes05:55
mvo- prepared specs05:55
mvo- mail catchup (still some way to go)05:55
mvo- common-customizations: parts were done for edgy, needs research whats left05:55
mvo- auto-dist-upgrade-testing: needs work for better test coverage and deployment on the servers05:55
mvo- binary-driver-education: we can use the notification-hooks for this05:55
mvo- dist-upgrader-fixes: needs more analysis what went wrong05:55
mvo- easy-codec-installation: happy to help with the installer backend or with the extraction of the information from the archive05:55
mvo- enabling-additional-components: mostly prepared in paris05:55
mvo- kubuntu-update-manager: needs qt-frontend + support in adept_updater05:55
mvo- scalable-installation-testing: interessted as far as it includes better testing of the upgrade process05:55
mvo- dependency-removal: infrastruture in place, just need to switched to "automatic" (and better aptitude integration)05:55
mvo- kubuntu-feisty-language-selector05:56
mvo- server-upgrade-tool: should be relatively straightforward to add a text-ui05:56
mvoInteressted in general: bullet-proof-x, beryl-by-default, default-network, services, zeroconf-networking,  dbus-restarts,  xen-by-default,  old-kernels-removal05:56
mvoAdditonal goals for feisty:05:56
mvo- apt-https, apt-sha256, apt-sync, dist-upgrader-arch-any, install-on-plug, kubuntu-gdebi,update-notifier-non-admin-mode05:56
=== cjwatson rather agrees with mdz's status whiteboard comment on install-on-plug
mvocjwatson: the "hermes" package from guadalinux is probably all we need05:58
cjwatsonmdz's comment was not so much that it was too hard, but that it was crack :-)05:58
cjwatsonanyway, we can talk about it05:58
=== mvo misread that
tkamppeterHia all, sorry for being late, forgot that 16:00 UTC does not switch with daylight saving time and so our meetings are one hour earlier in northern hemisphere winter months.05:59
sivangmvo: hmm, isn't old-kernels-removal part of system clean up tool ?05:59
mvosivang: yes05:59
cjwatsontkamppeter: actually it switched from 1500 UTC to 1600 UTC, all very confusing; we need to look at the winter time scheduling05:59
cjwatsoniwj: can you redo whatever it was you did to calculate decent meeting times for this half of the year?06:00
cjwatsonmvo: thanks06:00
cjwatsonogra: next06:00
iwjcjwatson: Willdo, yes.06:00
ogra * Prepare for LTSP BTS2006, prepare for UDS06:01
ogra * Downloaded all my merges from MOM06:01
ograTodo before UDS:06:01
ogra * LTSP BTS2006 (starting today)06:01
ograSpecs (by importance for edubuntu):06:01
ogra * edubuntu-network-auth-client/server: about integrating a default directory server setup, its essential to have that available in feisty to be able to cope with whole school setups as all other edu distros use them ... merely about integrating smbldap which is used in nearly all other edu distros...06:01
iwjI'll send out a datagathering email but I was waiting until we were together to I can harass people in person.06:01
ogra * edubuntu-on-two-cds: make edubuntu release on two CDs instead of one to get over the space probs we have since the beginning06:01
ogra * edubuntu-install-profiles: have different preseeded profiles to select from during install (university/preschool/highschool etc), should be integrated with the menu profiles LaserJock started in edgy06:01
ogra * edgy-plusone-thinclient-sound: switch ltsp to polypaudio for bi-directional sound setups (mic support) for VOIP etc06:01
ogra * ltsp-management-gui: essential upstream requirement for ltsp now ...06:01
ogra * student-control-panel-upgrade: further improvements and debranding of S-C-P06:01
ogra * ltsp-fat-clients: full diskless workstation support for ltsp (needs a network auth server in place)06:01
ogra * ltsp-persistent-home: mount your ~/ from a USB flash drive on ltsp clients06:01
ogra * live-cd-share-live-cd: integrate ltsp on the liveCD06:01
ogra * increase-hwdb-participation: see cjwatson ...06:01
Riddellogra: any sign of hwdb being improved on the server side?  we don't get much information out of it06:02
ograRiddell, i have access to the servers in the DC 06:02
ogra(since a week or so)06:02
cjwatsoniwj: I thought the previous data would do06:02
ograelmo has the data to out it there 06:02
cjwatsonit's really important to get that server move done06:03
ograbut we're still lacking an SQL backend06:03
ograthat needs to be programmed and set up for proper searching etc06:03
Riddellshouldn't there be a spec for that then?06:03
cjwatsonI'm very unconvinced about edubuntu-on-two-cds; it would be quite a bit of installer and CD image hassle, and mdz didn't sound terribly convinced on the approvers call06:03
ograi'm fine to attack one side in feisty but not both ... so either server or client ...06:04
highvoltagecjwatson: can you suggest any alternatives?06:04
cjwatsonnot here, let's talk about it in MtV06:04
pittiwhat about keeping the core install on one CD and have the second one as a pure add-on apt source?06:04
pittitrue, /me shuts up06:04
ograi dont like that06:04
iwjcjwatson: I think I should recollect it; the people involved have changed, and some people have differently differing timezones in the winter.06:05
ograi'd like it to act like debian does with multi CD installs 06:05
ograbut as cjwatson said .... MTV stuff06:05
cjwatsonogra: that's something mdz and I *explicitly* don't want06:05
cjwatsonin fact mdz brought up that very example06:05
ograthats what i suspected :)06:05
cjwatsonogra: are all the edubuntu specs you care about on the mtv agenda?06:06
ograwe cant release on DVD by default so we'll need a CD solution of some kind06:06
ogracjwatson, yep06:06
=== Adri2000 [n=Adri2000@unaffiliated/adri2000] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
cjwatsonI don't see edubuntu-install-profiles on the list06:06
cjwatsonare you sure?06:06
ograwrongly prioritized though 06:06
highvoltageogra: didn't you mention you wanted the xfce one on there too?06:06
ograhighvoltage, not my spec06:07
rodarvushighvoltage, the xfce one is basically approved06:07
rodarvusits my spec06:07
cjwatsonFWIW, the prioritisation is for discussion, not implementation06:07
highvoltagerodarvus: ok, greay!06:07
ogracjwatson, ergh, right06:07
ogracjwatson, ok to add it now =?06:07
cjwatsoni.e. the high priority ones are the ones we think most need to be scheduled rather than the things that are most important to get done06:07
cjwatsonogra: yes, but please mail mdz about it06:07
cjwatsonand about any priorities you think are wrong06:07
ogracjwatson, well, if its about discussion only i'm fine with the prios06:08
=== cbx33 [n=pete@ubuntu/member/cbx33] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
ograi didnt understand it like that 06:08
henocjwatson: and that will be re-adjusted after UDS?06:08
cjwatsonheno: possibly, not sure06:08
cjwatsonmight make sense to do so06:08
cjwatsonfor UDS though, the scheduler looks at priorities and tries to get the highest ones scheduled first06:09
henothat's been the traditional interpretation06:09
tfheenthe priorities are discussion, not implementation priorities.  mdz said so during the confcall06:09
henomakes sense06:09
cjwatsonogra: thanks06:09
cjwatsonrodarvus: next06:09
ograrodarvus, please make sure to sort everything with the support team about the xfce stuff, we usually dont give support for it06:09
=== flix_ [n=felix@a81-197-188-88.elisa-laajakaista.fi] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
cjwatson1:10 in, good grief06:09
rodarvus* Will be directly involved06:09
rodarvusaccelerated-x, simple-x-mode-selection, bullet-proof-x, beryl-by-default, fully-automatic-swap-server, edubuntu-xfce-desktop, edubuntu-on-two-cds, ltsp-community-building, edubuntu-install-profiles, xserver-failover, x-input-redirection06:09
rodarvus* Particular interested on06:09
rodarvusedubuntu-network-auth-server, edubuntu-network-auth-client, ltsp-fat-clients, student-control-panel-upgrade, ltsp-persistent-home, glx-memory-management, damage-and-composite-issues, network-authentication, hard-disk-migration-tool, ltsp-management-gui, graphic-effect-layers, edgy-plusone-thinclient-sound06:09
rodarvus* Generically interested on (if time permits)06:09
rodarvusbinary-driver-education, feature-cycle, edgy-fontconfig, zeroconf-networking, xulrunner-gecko06:09
rodarvus* Blocked (but super-hyper-important)06:09
rodarvusTwo new specs, which can only be added to LaunchPad after (pending) approval from sabdfl06:09
rodarvusogra, ok (notes taken about the subject)06:09
cjwatsonrodarvus: how very cryptic06:09
tfheenrodarvus: you're going to have a busy week, I see? :-)06:10
rodarvuscjwatson, yes, sorry :/06:10
rodarvustfheen, there's stuff thats not in this list, actually06:10
rodarvusI'll be "chairing" three different groups06:10
cjwatsonrodarvus: ok, I hope you can manage to have read up on everything in advance, since you won't have much time to do so at the meeting06:10
rodarvusso I'll likely just skip the specs which I'm not involved06:10
=== joejaxx [i=jadaz87@ubuntu/member/joejaxx] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
rodarvuscjwatson, I did (and am doing it, actually :) )06:11
cjwatsonrodarvus: thanks06:11
cjwatsonKeybuk: next06:11
Keybuk^ for Greasemonkey users ... add "?limit=USERNAME"06:11
Keybuk-- 06:11
Keybuk * Got MoM up to speed on feisty, it's running now06:11
Keybuk * New MoM stats graphs06:11
Keybuk * Packaging new udev06:11
Keybuk * Starting my merges06:11
KeybukTo do:06:11
Keybuk * Sync mania when tool chain in06:11
Keybuk * I'm apparently the noose-man for the telepathy stuff, even though dholbach is the star who'll do most of the work06:11
Keybuk * Going to keep an eye on the zeroconf/avahi related plans and make sure they come to fruition06:11
Keybuk * Various upstart and boot-related specs and plans for edgy06:11
cjwatsonI noticed the graphs - they're rather shiny06:13
seb128Keybuk: any plan for network-manager? ;)06:13
Keybukseb128: continue ignoring it?06:13
Keybukdemote it to universe06:13
KeybukBURN IT06:13
seb128I see06:13
cjwatson(bottom of merges.ubuntu.com/{main,restricted,universe,multiverse}.html06:13
dholbachI hope that giskard will start maintaining it.06:14
cjwatsonKeybuk: /upstart/s/edgy/feisty/06:14
Keybukoh, yes06:14
mvoKeybuk: can we do wpa with anything else than network manager?06:14
Keybukthe problem with n-m is that the people who want to maintain it, don't care about any other use case other than "Using network manager"06:14
cjwatsonI hope everyone has updated whatever aliases/mini-shell-scripts they have that hardcode edgy :-)06:14
Keybukand we can't have that as the default06:14
Keybukmvo: wpa supplicant ?06:14
pittiseb128: https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/network-roaming06:14
seb128pitti: thank you06:15
rodarvusmvo, I think you just need to setup wpa_supplicant manually06:15
rodarvus(a lot of manual work, granted)06:15
cjwatsonsomebody who cares should teach netcfg about that06:15
Keybukrodarvus: not really, just a few config options added to /etc/network/interfaces06:15
mvoaha, I wasn't aware of this, thanks06:15
Keybukcjwatson: already did06:15
Keybukbut it didn't work :(06:15
KeybukWPA is ... hard06:15
cjwatsonwould need a wpasupplicant-udeb ...06:15
cjwatsonanyway, later06:15
cjwatsonKeybuk: thanks06:15
cjwatsonseb128: next06:16
seb128- bunch of desktop fixes uploaded to edgy-proposed06:16
seb128- "Reduce delta with upstream" week for desktop06:16
seb128- bug triage, bug triage, bug triage, bug triage06:16
seb128- mails catching up06:16
seb128- specs for MTV summit06:16
seb128- tab-consistency: Mark wants everything use the old firefox 1.5 tabs style06:16
seb128- desktop-slab: integration of new GNOME menu applet, GNOME is likely to accept it for 2.18. Not sure if we should consider it for default desktop (maybe giving a choices of panel profiles to the user)06:16
seb128- easy-codec-installation: applications should make easy for the user to install the package shipping the codec he needs to play the file he's trying to play06:16
seb128- feisty-login: gdm eyes candy06:16
seb128interest to:06:16
seb128- beryl-by-default: compiz or beryl on the desktop06:16
seb128- beagle-integration: beagle on the desktop?06:16
seb128- crash-reporting: having a crash database instead of making user attach crash files manually to launchpad06:16
seb128- tracker-integration: tracker packaging and maybe on the desktop?06:16
seb128- feisty-telepathy: new cool technology06:16
seb128- gnome-mount: new cool GNOME technology to define mounting policy, etc06:16
cjwatsonkwwii has to leave06:17
kwwiibye all06:17
ograciao kwwii, see you here in SF ;)06:18
kwwiiogra: see you soon :-)06:18
pittiseb128: really, ffox 1.5 style? not 2.0? i. e. one global close button?06:18
seb128pitti: right06:18
ogracool !06:18
pittiouch, that means to change all our programs...06:19
=== ogra hated that "feature"
seb128that would mean changing the world, and I think we have better to do06:19
=== Czubek [n=Damian@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
cjwatsontab-consistency drove me out of the room last time; I hope to avoid it this time too06:19
seb128pitti: right, help me to convince Mark then :p06:19
pittianyway -> MTV06:19
dholbachpitti: and add a hack to gtknotebook06:19
cjwatsonseb128: thanks06:19
cjwatsontfheen: next06:19
tfheennot doing done/todo.06:19
tfheenfeisty-release-schedule: obvious06:19
tfheenarchive-training: I get to be an archive admin (so I can be an RM this time too, but without having to have Colin and Adam shove things for me)06:19
tfheengrub2: hopefully we'll get it supported but not default. Default for fawn+106:19
tfheencode-review: a bit unsure about this one really is about.06:19
tfheenthose are my assigned specs, in addition I'm approver for a bunch.06:20
dholbachtfheen: i'm happy to chat with you about code-review06:21
dholbachi subscribed myself to it06:21
tfheendholbach: ok, can we do that in #u-d after the meeting?06:21
cjwatsontfheen: mind if we potentially piggyback some other archive admin improvement discussions onto your archive-training? I can't imagine training will take longer than 20 minutes or so, and you might as well stick your oar in on the rest06:21
dholbachtfheen: as you like it06:22
tfheencjwatson: sure, that's fine with me.06:22
Keybuktfheen: http://wiki,ubuntu.com/ArchiveAdministration06:22
=== mhb___ [n=mhb@64.73.broadband3.iol.cz] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
cjwatsontfheen: have fun being the only approver who'll get time to actually sit in on his approvees? :)06:23
cjwatsontfheen: thanks06:23
cjwatsonBenC is still not here ...06:23
cjwatsonkeescook: ?06:23
tfheencjwatson: lucky me. :-)06:23
keescook * security updates: libksba, xinit, binutils, pike7.6, clamav, screen, libpam-ldap, ruby1.8, mutt, wv06:23
keescook * security reviews: newz2000's moin form parser, libx11, qt, nvidia, apport, flashplugin-nonfree, thttpd06:23
keescook * finished most remaining universe rebuilds for linking to openssl0.9.806:23
keescook * RC/final release CD and DVD testing: mostly PPC06:23
keescook * bug fixing: 39275, 65831, 65948, 65616, 65855, 65763, 66690, 65616, 66976, 3472306:23
keescook * SRU: vino (bug 65795)06:23
UbugtuMalone bug 65795 in vino "vino won't accept my password" [High,Fix committed]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/6579506:23
keescook * investigating crash reports: mono, firefox06:23
keescook * got feisty chroot built, investigated MoM, did merge work on inkscape.06:24
keescookTo do:06:24
keescook * security updates: l-r-m (nvidia)06:24
keescook * SRU: mutt (bug 65821)06:24
UbugtuMalone bug 65821 in mutt "edgy beta - mutt sasl authentication broken" [Undecided,Fix committed]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/6582106:24
keescook * Assignee: memory-protection: What can we do to the toolchain and kernel to get even more memory protections to foil vulnerability exploits?  I'm digging through all the pieces for this currently.06:24
=== mhb___ [n=mhb@64.73.broadband3.iol.cz] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
keescook * Interested in: security, crash reports, networking, multimedia. (A big list I won't paste here unless that's wanted.)06:24
cjwatsonkeescook: do feel free to badger other distro team members about what's going on at UDS, since it's your first time06:25
keescookOh, I will be.  I'm going to follow pitti around.  :)06:25
Keybukwho's performing the hazing?06:26
=== keescook hides
dokopitti: don't forget the leash ;)06:26
cjwatsonkeescook: thanks06:27
cjwatsondoko: ready?06:27
dokothis week:06:27
doko - finalize OOo and eclipse proposals for edgy-updates06:27
doko - toolchain preparations for feisty, long double ABI change06:27
doko - bug triage06:27
doko - specs, pretty all of them still need work before UDS06:27
dokospecs for feisty:06:27
doko - feisty-toolchain-roadmap (just the remainings which need to be done)06:27
doko - feistyplusone-toolchain-roadmap (BoF)06:27
doko - feisty-python-roadmap (2.5 as default, egg support, remove code from /var, sane installation locations)06:27
doko - conflicts-replaces-checker (discussion, maybe not for feisty; checking replaces/conflicts fields after upload)06:27
doko - feisty-java-roadmap (gcj (and open-sourced? sun-java)06:27
doko - feisty-openoffice.org (discussion, what to do, and what not)06:27
doko - rosetta-ooo-rollout (discussion/test with carlos, danilos)06:27
doko - revisiting ssp as the default (with pitti)06:27
cjwatsondoko: many of those specs don't seem to be on the list06:28
cjwatsondoko: can you make sure you've proposed any that need discussion, and mail mdz?06:28
dokocjwatson: yes, still in proposed, sorry06:28
mvodoko: can you subscribe me for  conflicts-replaces-checker?06:28
pittidoko: when keescook and I finished memory-protection, it'll become even scarier :-P06:29
dokocjwatson: sending mdz email after the meeting06:29
dokomvo: ok06:29
cjwatsondoko: thanks, good work on the toolchain so far06:30
cjwatson... though I suppose I should hold off on that until we all start trying to use it :-)06:30
dokohah :)06:30
cjwatsontkamppeter: do you have a handle on your specs for UDS?06:30
dokopitti: did you come up with a better way to build packages with ssp enabled?06:31
=== Adri2000_ [n=Adri2000@unaffiliated/adri2000] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
cjwatsontkamppeter: if not, let me know and we'll try to sort things out06:32
pittidoko: no, just more flags06:32
keescookand patches to gdb.  :)06:32
cjwatsonok, have i missed anyone?06:32
zulme but im only working on two specs06:32
ogradoes mdz have specs ? 06:32
zulxen-by-default and xenubuntu06:32
cjwatsonzul: oh yes. Those are ones you're putting forward yourself, aren't they?06:33
cjwatsonso you're probably up to speed on them :-)06:33
tkamppeterI am here. I will put my part now/06:33
zuland im also interested in a whole bunch of specs06:33
cjwatsonzul: ok, mail me/mdz if you have problems06:33
tkamppeterReport Oct 13 - Nov  2, 200606:33
tkamppeter- FSG OpenPrinting Summit in Lexington, KY:06:33
tkamppeter  http://www.freestandards.org/en/OpenPrinting/SummitLexington06:33
tkamppeter   o LSB-3.2-related outcomes:06:33
tkamppeter     http://www.freestandards.org/images/6/67/Lsb-printing-roadmap.pdf06:33
iwjconflicts-replaces-checker> I should subscribe to that.06:33
tkamppeter     The functionality mentioned here must be part of feisty to assure06:33
tkamppeter     that distribution-independent driver packages auto-downloaded06:34
tkamppeter     from the internet will work.06:34
tkamppeter   o Parallel session on common printing and printer setup dialogs:06:34
tkamppeter     http://wiki.openusability.org/printing/06:34
tkamppeter   o Jim Zemlin's (CEO FSG) presentation:06:34
tkamppeter     http://www.freestandards.org/images/5/56/Open_Printing_-_Think_Big.pdf06:34
tkamppeter     Nice summary of the problems and what has to be done06:34
iwjOh, I'm subscribed arleady :-).06:34
tkamppeter- Upstream discussion with HP developer Donald Welch about HPLIP's fax not 06:34
tkamppeter  working on Ubuntu (bug 66830): Ubuntu (and current Debian) use PyQt 3.16,06:34
UbugtuMalone bug 66830 in python-qt3 "Problem with Socket Inter-Process Communication" [Medium,Confirmed]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/6683006:34
tkamppeter  Mandriva 2OO7 uses PyQt 3.14. On 3.16 there is an inter-process06:34
tkamppeter  communication bug which did not exist in 3.14. Donald Welch is working06:34
tkamppeter  on a solution.06:34
UbugtuMandriva bug 2 in program "Warning messages appeared while loading xemacs" [Normal,Resolved: fixed]  http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=206:34
tkamppeter- Answered to bug reports06:34
tkamppeter- Features/sessions planned for the Ubuntu Developer Summit (*: Submitted 06:34
tkamppeter  by myself):06:34
tkamppeter  o Automatic hotplug printer configuration06:34
tkamppeter    https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/automatic-printer-conf06:34
tkamppeter    (Accepted session)06:34
tkamppeter  o *Replace gnome-cups-manager by printerdrake06:34
tkamppeter    https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/printerdrake06:34
tkamppeter    (Accepted session)06:34
tkamppeter  o PPD File Structure Specification06:34
tkamppeter    https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/ppd-file-structure06:34
tkamppeter    (Not (yet) accepted session)06:34
tkamppeter  o Standardization of the impression06:34
tkamppeter    https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/applications-printing06:34
tkamppeter    (Not (yet) accepted session)06:34
tkamppeter  o Make PDF "Printer" functionality for CUPS as default06:35
cjwatsonwhoa, verbose06:35
tkamppeter    https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/pdf-printing-cups-as-default06:35
tkamppeter    (Accepted session)06:35
tkamppeter  o Easy configuration of printer sharing06:35
tkamppeter    https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/printer-sharing06:35
tkamppeter    (Accepted session)06:35
tkamppeter  o *Automatic download of printer drivers through the internet06:35
tkamppeter    https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/printerdriverautodownload06:35
tkamppeter    (Accepted session)06:35
tkamppeter  o *The results of the FSG OpenPrinting Summit in Lexington and the next Ubuntu06:35
tkamppeter    https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/printing-summit-lexington-and-ubuntu06:35
tkamppeter    (Accepted session)06:35
tkamppeter- Proposed official updates for Ubuntu Edgy06:35
tkamppeter  o HPLIP faxing functionality (bug 66830): Waiting for a fix from HPLIP06:35
UbugtuMalone bug 66830 in python-qt3 "Problem with Socket Inter-Process Communication" [Medium,Confirmed]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/6683006:35
tkamppeter    or PyQt developers06:35
tkamppeter  o foo2zjs firmware auto-loading for HP LaserJet 1000/1005/1018/102006:35
tkamppeter    (bug 65618, bug 68736): Fixed package already made, only needs to be06:35
UbugtuMalone bug 65618 in foo2zjs "Firmware upload to LJ 1000/1005/1008/1020 broken (fix to be proposed as Edgy update)" [Medium,In progress]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/6561806:35
UbugtuMalone bug 68736 in foo2zjs "foo2zjs does not work with hp laserjet 1018" [Undecided,Unconfirmed]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/6873606:35
tkamppeter    submitted.06:35
tkamppeter  o Parallel printer detection seems not to work correctly in Edgy06:35
tkamppeter    (bug 29050 + duplicates): Needs to be fixed by kernel team and fixed06:35
UbugtuMalone bug 29050 in linux-source-2.6.17 "cupsys does not automatically detect parallel printer" [High,Confirmed]  http://launchpad.net/bugs/2905006:35
tkamppeter    kernel provided as update.06:35
=== tfheen gives tkamppeter the award for longest status report ewah.
cjwatsontkamppeter: please try to keep reports a bit shorter in future - I think that's more than anyone can read in a relatively time-limited meeting06:36
iwjprinterdriverautodownload - is it just me or is that scary from a security pov ?06:36
ograUbugtu noise is also quite annoying, probably Seveas could disable it for -meeting06:37
pittiiwj: depends on how we restrict and authenticate the sources, I guess, but I agree06:37
tkamppeterSorry, I have added a link to everything and also many bug numbers which made Ubugtu making it twice as long.06:37
=== finalbeta [n=finalbet@d5152A68A.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
cjwatsonUbugtu added five lines versus your 56. :-)06:38
=== j_ack [n=rudi@p508D8D2D.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
cjwatsoniwj: would you mind sitting in on that discussion?06:38
tkamppeterIn terms of auto download of printer drivers: We are a desktop distro and shouls make live as easy as possible.06:38
tkamppeterWe will ask the user before auto-downloading anything.06:39
ograwhat about dialup users and non-connected ones ?06:39
pitti(but with keeping a healthy balance in terms of trusting drivers, etc.)06:39
ograthey wont be able to use printers ? 06:39
cjwatsontkamppeter: let's not get into the trap of a usability vs. security argument06:39
pittiogra: I don't think we should drop all drivers from the CD06:39
tkamppeterAuto-downloading is done from freestandards.org, not from each driver authors own site06:39
pittilet's discuss it on the UDS06:39
iwjcjwatson: Sure, I've subscribed myself.06:40
tkamppeterThe most important drivers will continue to be available on the CD.06:40
cjwatsoniwj: thanks06:40
cjwatsontkamppeter: ok, thank you06:40
cjwatsonI think we're all done now; as mentioned, if there's any last-minute stuff, e-mail mdz or me to make sure it gets looked at on Sunday06:40
cjwatsonI've been voluntold to help set up on Sunday, which I think will cover some last-minute stuff06:41
=== pitti starves
cjwatsonthanks, everyone; adjourned06:41
pittithanks to you all, and see you in S.F.!06:41
sladentkamppeter: if the linuxprinting.org-ppds / foomatic-filters-ppds packages weren't full of 500 identically individually gzip'ed files, the compressed size would be able 1/10th of the current 25MB since nearly all the files are virtually identically.06:41
=== ogra goes for breakfast as well now
=== keescook waves
tfheenunsharpening cat claws!06:42
pittitfheen: *ruffle*06:42
ogratfheen, ouch ...06:42
ogradoesnt that get quite bloody for you ? 06:42
ogra(my cats dont like it at all)06:42
tkamppetersladen, I will look into this and change the packaging appropriately. Best is to report a Launchpad bug about this.06:43
tfheenogra: no, they're quite happy about it.06:43
ogralucky you06:43
=== rraphink [n=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
tkamppetersladen, foomatic-filter-ppds is not there in Edgy any more, as we have dynamich PPD building of CUPS 1.2.06:44
=== keescook [n=kees@ubuntu/member/keescook] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
=== pitti [n=pitti@ubuntu/member/pitti] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Bye"]
=== tomsku [n=tomsku@dsl-tregw3-fe4ddf00-223.dhcp.inet.fi] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
Keybukcjwatson: don't you mean setup on saturday?06:45
tkamppetersladen, and the package of individually gzipped files is probably originating from Debian. Perhaps we should report this to the Debian packager.06:45
Keybukthe first day of MTV is Sunday06:45
=== raphink [n=raphink@wormhole.x-echo.com] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== raphink [n=raphink@wormhole.x-echo.com] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== rraphink [n=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== msid [n=phreak@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== iwj [n=ian@xenophobe.extern.relativity.greenend.org.uk] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
cjwatsonKeybuk: er, yeah06:53
cjwatsonI arrive at 13:1506:53
=== BenC [n=bcollins@debian/developer/bcollins] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== msid [n=phreak@] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
cjwatsontkamppeter: gunzipping all the ppds makes foomatic-filters-ppd.deb about 3MB smaller, but it also makes it consume about 56MB more disk space when installed06:57
cjwatsontkamppeter: so it seems like a pretty reasonable tradeoff on the part of the Debian maintaine06:57
cjwatsontkamppeter: I think to get the best of both worlds you'd have to extract the PPDs from a .tar.gz on the fly or something, which probably wouldn't be very fast06:57
=== josef|vista [n=spillner@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== silbs [n=jane@] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
=== ..[topic/#ubuntu-meeting:Ubugtu] : Calendar: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/event | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/ | 08 Nov 20:00 UTC: Edubuntu | 15 Nov 12:00 UTC: Edubuntu | 22 Nov 20:00 UTC: Edubuntu | 28 Nov 16:00 UTC: LoCo Team | 29 Nov 12:00 UTC: Edubuntu
=== cyphase [n=cyphase@c-67-180-20-241.hsd1.ca.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mruiz [n=mruiz@www.3ie.cl] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== matt_good [n=matt@ip68-98-143-137.dc.dc.cox.net] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Ex-Chat"]
tkamppetercjwatson, The best is perhaps to gzip the PPD files in the post-install script, but then one would need the full disk space temporarily, as package install is always pre-install-script->copy-all-files->post-install-script, the file copying cannot be intercepted.08:05
cjwatsontkamppeter: postinst scripts must not modify /usr, though08:08
cjwatsonso that gets difficult08:08
cjwatsonalso postinst scripts really shouldn't delete files shipped by the package08:09
cjwatson(I think the latter's actually a stronger consideration, since it does break some things)08:09
cjwatsone.g. debsums08:09
=== Lure_ [n=lure@72-254-161-29.client.stsn.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== jenda [n=jenda@ubuntu/member/jenda] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Jozo- [i=jozo@viola.uninea.fi] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Adri2000 [n=Adri2000@unaffiliated/adri2000] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
tkamppetercjwatson, Then perhaps the Debian packaging system needs to be changed, so that when a .gz or a .bz2 file is included that it gets uncompressed on the fly when the package is built and recompressed when the package is installed. Then the packager does not need to care about including compressed files.08:31
cjwatsonthat's not going to happen in the remotely near future, and would not be generally appropriate08:32
=== stgraber [n=stgraber@unaffiliated/stgraber] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== lifeless [n=robertc@ppp245-86.static.internode.on.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== licio [n=licio@ubuntu/member/licio] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Czubek [n=Damian@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== cyphase [n=cyphase@c-67-180-20-241.hsd1.ca.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== ogra [n=ogra@ubuntu/member/ogra] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Lure_ [n=lure@72-254-161-29.client.stsn.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== kwwii [n=kwwii@p549560A4.dip.t-dialin.net] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Konversation]
=== finalbeta [n=finalbet@d5152A68A.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mruiz [n=mruiz@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
Seveasogra, sure, but people have more than once requested for it to be enabled in here10:36
Seveascan't have it both ways...10:36
ograSeveas, which people ? 10:38
ogradistro team people ? 10:38
SeveasI forgot the nicknames, but I'm rather sure that there were at least one or two of them asking for it10:38
=== j_ack [n=rudi@p508D8D2D.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== sfllaw [i=sfllaw@debian/developer/coleSLAW] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== vuntz [n=vuntz@fennas.vuntz.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== cyphase [n=cyphase@c-67-180-20-241.hsd1.ca.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== sfllaw [i=sfllaw@debian/developer/coleSLAW] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== doko_ [n=doko@dslb-088-073-091-236.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== robitaille [n=daniel@ubuntu/member/robitaille] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== ogra_ [n=ogra@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!