pochusnoogie: amule is in feisty, and it's written in c++ and wxwidgets ;)12:22
nrdbHi, I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but here goes, I am using ubuntu 6.06 LTS with the 2.6.15-28-686 kernel, I am wondering why there hasn't been a vmware-player-kernel-meodules package yet for this kernel ? :( its been some time since the kernel was updated.12:23
snoogieYes but I read on launchpad that ubuntu need a soft and in specification I read that they want it in pyGTK+glade12:23
snoogienrdb, You need to compile it nope ?12:23
nrdbsnoogie: there are packages for older kernels12:24
snoogieOk :) but can't you try to compile them using vmware-installer.pl script ?12:25
nrdbsnoogie: yes!  but I am still wondering why the long delay in getting out an apropiate module for this kernel, is it coming at all ?12:26
snoogieohhh :D12:26
snoogiesorry :)12:26
=== TomB_ [n=tomb@host86-146-112-231.range86-146.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pochunrdb: I think it won't hit Dapper12:29
nrdbpochu: ok, that does rather break the whole vmware package :(12:30
pochusnoogie: about your question, if you want that app included in the ubuntu installation by default, I don't know, but if you want it included in the repositories, I think there is no problem12:30
pochunrdb: btw, I'm not an Ubuntu dev ;)12:31
LaserJocksnoogie: is this a bounty?12:31
nrdbpochu: just is the repositories, so that vmware keeps working as the kernel gets upgraded.12:31
LaserJocka bounty is the only reason I can think of where the language would be specified really12:32
=== nrdb bye
=== nrdb [n=neil@] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Konversation]
snoogieLaserJock, not a bounty12:35
snoogiewait I ll find link12:35
snoogieand specifications : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SystemCleanUpTool12:35
snoogieI am new in ubuntu developper community12:36
snoogiebut I want to help, I am a C++ coder and I ll have 4 days this week to do this :)12:36
snoogieSo I think I can start this tool since I already done one on PDA before12:36
LaserJockthat's cool12:36
snoogieI see that there is someone already assigned for this soft12:37
snoogieI lose my time by starting it ?12:37
LaserJockyou should talk to sivan (sivang on IRC)12:37
snoogieOk I will 12:38
LaserJockgenerally though it's up to the person doing the project to decide what language they will use12:39
LaserJockI looks like sivan wants to do python and gtk/glade12:39
=== illovae [n=illovae@uni14-1-82-233-221-131.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
snoogieit's sivan the person assigned to this project .12:40
snoogieOh yes 12:40
snoogieouch 12:40
=== lmanul [n=manu@dan75-4-82-239-58-38.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
snoogiehe will kill me 12:40
snoogiedon't know :D12:40
=== jono [n=jono@ubuntu/member/jono] has joined #ubuntu-devel
snoogieI am a bit nervous since I register myself on launchpad 12:41
LaserJocksivan is a cool dude, I'm sure he'd love help12:41
snoogieand take conscience that after signing ubuntero 12:41
snoogiecoool 12:41
snoogieI hope I can help :)12:41
snoogiedid I need to send a CV :D ?12:42
LaserJockheh, no12:42
snoogieor something like this :)12:42
snoogienice :)12:42
snoogiesorry for my broken english 12:42
pochusnoogie: your english is really fine :)12:42
pochusnoogie: mine isn't, though ;)12:42
snoogieThanks to my society who ask me to wrote manual and comments in english :D12:43
snoogieLaserJock, did you know when I can speak with sivang ?12:43
LaserJockI think he lives in Israel12:44
snoogieI leave in France and I ll be free for coding wednesday evening and maybe work on it 2 nights during this week12:44
snoogieI lived12:44
snoogieouch :)12:44
LaserJocksnoogie: you can always email him12:45
=== doko_ [n=doko@dslb-088-073-122-003.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
LaserJockhi jono 12:46
jonohey dude :)12:46
snoogieLaserJock, I mail him directly ?12:47
=== herzi [n=herzi@p548FE559.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== xerosis [n=kieran@87-194-21-125.bethere.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== kmon [n=javier@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
snoogiethanks LaserJock for your help12:54
snoogieIf you see him tell him to don't erase my mail as junk :)12:55
snoogieneed to sleep now :)01:00
snoogiehave a nice night/day01:00
snoogiesee you later 01:00
=== khermans__ [i=administ@nat/cisco/x-f8b562da6ccce3bd] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== redline6561 [n=redline@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ogra [n=ogra@ubuntu/member/ogra] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cr3 [n=marc@pdpc/supporter/bronze/cr3] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== BenC [n=bcollins@debian/developer/bcollins] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== svolpe [n=Gerrath@unaffiliated/gerrath] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pochu [n=pochu@ubuntu/member/pochu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Gerrath [n=Gerrath@unaffiliated/gerrath] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jono [n=jono@ubuntu/member/jono] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== holycow [n=hello@mail.wjsgroup.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== russe11 [n=russ@retribution.student.iastate.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jack_wyt [n=jack@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== PriceChild [n=pricechi@ubuntu/member/pricechild] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== robb [n=robb@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== freeflying [i=root@ubuntu/member/freeflying] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Chipzz_ [i=chipzz@safehex.be] has joined #Ubuntu-Devel
=== stdin_ [n=tez@82-37-241-141.cable.ubr07.smal.blueyonder.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cliebow_ [n=cliebow@cpe-76-179-82-249.maine.res.rr.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== beuno [n=martin@201-212-211-217.cab.prima.net.ar] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== NthDegree [n=NthDegre@tapthru/resident/NthDegree] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== quail [n=quail@unaffiliated/quaillinux/x-000001] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== stdin [n=tez@unaffiliated/binary2k2] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== wasabi [n=wasabi@ubuntu/member/wasabi] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== kaptengu [n=kaptengu@c213-100-60-132.swipnet.se] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== chand[aw] [n=rsamson@linagoraberri.pck.nerim.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== firephoto [n=tom@pool-71-115-214-25.spknwa.dsl-w.verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ScottLij [n=roivas@66-227-218-192.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== AstralJava [n=jaska@cm-087-94-053-172.lohjanpuhelin.fi] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mdz [n=mdz@cpe-76-173-8-128.socal.res.rr.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== wasabi_ [n=jhaltom@ubuntu/member/wasabi] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== CarlFK [n=carl@c-24-13-53-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== thom [n=thom@amnesiac.heapspace.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lionel [n=lionel@ip-61.net-82-216-103.rev.numericable.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Mirv [n=tajyrink@pdpc/supporter/active/Mirv] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== smurf [n=smurf@debian/developer/smurf] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== BenC [n=bcollins@debian/developer/bcollins] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== gobat [n=gobat@h110.97.140.67.ip.alltel.net] has left #ubuntu-devel ["gobat]
=== freeflying [i=root@gobstopper.dreamhost.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== minghua [n=minghua@ubuntu/member/minghua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lfittl [n=lfittl@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== philwyett [n=philwyet@bb-87-81-146-45.ukonline.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Jiraiya [n=kvirc@ip-57.net-82-216-76.rev.numericable.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Jiraiya [n=kvirc@ip-57.net-82-216-76.rev.numericable.fr] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Time]
=== jdong [n=jdong@ubuntu/member/jdong] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== nags [n=nags@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== KaiL [n=KaiL@p548F4228.dip.t-dialin.net] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Ex-Chat"]
=== infinity2 is now known as infinity
=== stub [n=stub@ppp-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== alex-weej [n=alex@halls-129-31-82-59.hor.ic.ac.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Seveas [n=seveas@ubuntu/member/seveas] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== illovae [n=illovae@uni14-1-82-233-221-131.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Hobbsee [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hunger_t [n=tobias@p54A72264.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== j_ack [n=rudi@p508DC039.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== asac_ [n=asac@debian/developer/asac] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Fujitsu [n=Fujitsu@ubuntu/member/fujitsu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jack_wyt [n=jack@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== johanbr_ [n=j@blk-137-114-65.eastlink.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== johanbr [n=j@blk-137-114-65.eastlink.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== robitaille [n=daniel@ubuntu/member/robitaille] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Mez [n=Mez@ubuntu/member/mez] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mbiebl [n=michael@e180098207.adsl.alicedsl.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== wastrel [n=wastrel@dsl254-127-242.nyc1.dsl.speakeasy.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== wastrel [n=wastrel@dsl254-127-242.nyc1.dsl.speakeasy.net] has left #ubuntu-devel ["l8r"]
theCoremjg59: ping, can I ask you a question about the desktop-effects program, as you packaged it ?06:37
=== g0su [n=moxilo@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Treenaks_ is now known as Treenaks
=== stephanbuys [n=stephanb@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== khermans__ [i=administ@nat/cisco/x-4a0c84b9d49c532f] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Monk-e [n=guido@c529dd229.cable.wanadoo.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== slomo [n=slomo@ubuntu/member/slomo] has joined #ubuntu-devel
tepsipakki[ANNOUNCE]  xf86-video-intel 1.9.91 (2.0 RC1)07:19
Fujitsu... xf86?07:19
tepsipakkithat's the -modesetting-branch merged in07:19
tepsipakkiupstream naming07:19
fabbioneFujitsu: it's just the name of the source.. irrelevant07:20
Fujitsu2.0 will replace i810 and have modesetting in a stable release?07:20
fabbionetepsipakki: i am getting a bunch of c->xlib locking errors in feisty.. did you look on google? i saw a couple of patches in xorg bugzilla to fix them but i am on vacation and not really motivated to test them07:20
fabbione(given that's only a torrent client that triggers them)07:21
tepsipakkifabbione: generally they are bugs in the applications that crash07:21
fabbioneyes i know.. but there are patches to avoid a total crash of the app07:22
tepsipakkiok, maybe we could look at them07:22
fabbionegoogle also explains what to look for.. doublefree, doublealloc.. etc.07:22
tepsipakkiFujitsu: yes07:22
fabbionenot handy.. i looked at it saturday07:22
tepsipakkimaybe I'll search the bugzilla for them07:25
UbugtuFreedesktop bug 9336 in Lib/Xlib "Assert in Java application WW2D" [Normal,Assigned]  07:29
tepsipakkithat one?07:29
tepsipakkinovell has applied that one07:30
=== viviersf [n=cain@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dholbach [n=daniel@i59F73459.versanet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dholbachgood morning07:44
=== timfrost [n=tim@125-238-35-136.broadband-telecom.global-gateway.net.nz] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== shackan [n=shackan@85-18-14-13.fastres.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mvo [n=egon@p54A67DD2.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dholbachhi _ion07:57
=== Lure [n=lure@external-7.hermes.si] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== carlos [n=carlos@163.pool85-48-166.static.orange.es] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Zdra [n=zdra@94.211-242-81.adsl-dyn.isp.belgacom.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mdke [n=matt@ubuntu/member/mdke] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== raphink [n=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokodholbach, seb128: care to have a look at the evince-gtk build failure?08:52
=== Zdra [n=zdra@94.211-242-81.adsl-dyn.isp.belgacom.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Zdra [n=zdra@94.211-242-81.adsl-dyn.isp.belgacom.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Zdra_ [n=zdra@38.177-247-81.adsl-dyn.isp.belgacom.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Starting logfile irclogs/ubuntu-devel.log
=== ubuntulog [i=ubuntulo@ubuntu/bot/ubuntulog] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Topic for #ubuntu-devel: Development of Ubuntu (not support, even with feisty; not application development on Ubuntu) | #ubuntu for support and general discussion | #ubuntu-motu for getting involved in development | http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DeveloperResources | See #ubuntu-bugs for http://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs | Herd 5 released
=== Topic (#ubuntu-devel): set by Mithrandir at Fri Mar 2 22:16:21 2007
=== Zdra_ is now known as Zdra
=== Nuscly [n=nuscly@29-231.206-83.static-ip.oleane.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jack_wyt [n=jack@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cassidy [n=cassidy@host-213-189-171-21.brutele.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
tepsipakkidamn, the new -video-intel -driver (2.0rc1) needs server-1.309:31
[StingRay] Hi all, dappers gs-esp is broken. I made a source install of 8.54-gpl and now all is fine. I want to make a deb package out of the source with pbuilder. I have it installed. I have a question: In the howto it says - sudo pbuilder build *.dsc Where do I get the dsc from (apt-get source gs-esp???)09:32
[StingRay] I will be much obliged if someone helps a newbie, willing to help other ubuntuers.09:33
=== seb128 [n=seb128@ubuntu/member/seb128] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mithrandir[StingRay] : if you want to help out with development, #ubuntu-motu is a better starting point.  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment also has a bunch of pointers09:34
[StingRay] Thanks Mithrandir. I will check it.09:35
Mithrandirdoko: I'm not aware of any uvf exception for python-tz?  In the future, please get aoone before uploading.09:35
=== jinty [n=jinty@64.Red-83-50-216.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokoMithrandir: ohh, sorry. was the sync with tzdata, didn't think of it.09:38
=== [StingRay] [n=windwalk@] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Konversation]
Mithrandirdoko: np09:40
=== thekorn [n=markus@a89-182-18-193.net-htp.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dholbachdoko: gpocentek or Janimo know the evince-gtk patch better09:42
seb128what about it?09:43
dholbach<doko> dholbach, seb128: care to have a look at the evince-gtk build failure?09:43
=== spacey [n=herman@ubuntu/member/spacey] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokobug 8982509:49
UbugtuMalone bug 89825 in evince-gtk "Ftbfs on feisty" [High,Confirmed]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/8982509:49
=== Grunf [n=dream@238-96-148-91.adsl.beotel.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Grunfcan you help me :)09:49
seb128doko: let xubuntu guys handle it09:50
=== pitti looks at feisty-changes and wonders whether this is the current 'archive rebuild test'
GrunfIm on Ubuntu 6.06 how to install Dc++?09:50
pittiGrunf: #ubuntu, please (see topic)09:50
dokoseb128: ohh, ok09:50
mdkeseb128: hiya - a small patch on yelp is on the usual bug; can you take a look at it at some stage? I'd like to get that uploaded and then do another short one before string freeze so everything is more or less up to date09:51
seb128doko: that's the package fork they did to have evince without GNOME libs and they said they would do the work on it so it's not extra load09:51
dokoseb128: didn't see the `x` in the name ;-p09:51
=== pitti hugs doko for python-tz
seb128mdke: it's on my list of things to look at, will do that next09:51
mdkeseb128: great, thanks.09:52
=== Kagou [n=Kagou@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cjwatson [n=cjwatson@82-69-40-219.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128hi cjwatson09:53
dokofabbione: could you have a look at the heartbeat ftbfs on ia64 (IPv6?)09:53
=== herzi [n=herzi@p548FC1FA.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== giftnudel [n=mb@p54A93703.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Grunf [n=dream@238-96-148-91.adsl.beotel.net] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Konversation]
=== Keybuk [n=scott@quest.netsplit.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Phlosten [n=Phlosten@CPE-58-167-61-68.nsw.bigpond.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mooey [n=chris@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jono [n=jono@ubuntu/member/jono] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== arre [n=ac@trillke.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lmanul [n=manu@dan75-4-82-239-58-38.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mantiena [n=mantiena@ctv-84-55-4-28.init.lt] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mantienacjwatson: Hi, could you access http://people.ubuntulinux.org/~cjwatson/ ?10:36
cjwatsonmantiena: ubuntulinux.org is hideously obsolete. Use ubuntu.com. If that doesn't work, I don't run people.ubuntu.com so it's not really my problem10:38
cjwatsonthat machine gets rather busy at times10:38
Keybukpeople is down, no?10:38
Keybukit was over the weekend, anyway10:38
pittiKeybuk: right, since Sat10:39
Keybukrookery go bye-bye10:39
pitticarlos: ^ no langpack building for now :/10:39
mantiena http://people.ubuntu.com/~cjwatson/ also not accessible10:39
mantienacjwatson: I need people.ubuntu.com because I need to know what mkisofs options needs to be used for building Ubuntu DVD images10:41
=== freeflying [n=freeflyi@ubuntu/member/freeflying] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mantienaI've build several customized DVD images according to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization/6%2e06 but my CD's doesn't boot on lots of computers (isolinux doesn't start at all), while official Ubuntu DVD images does10:43
mantienabut when I burn  not on DVD, but on CD, then this CD starts fine on all computers10:44
=== heno [n=henrik@ubuntu/member/heno] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mantienaI don't know if this is mkisofs bug or for bootable DVD another mkisofs options are needed, than for CD10:44
carlospitti: oh, so that's the reason why my scripts got stalled with the rsync....10:45
carlospitti: anyway, the initial import is taking longer than planned10:45
Mithrandirmantiena: uh, the same .iso image works on CDs but not DVDs?10:45
cjwatsonmantiena: last I checked the instructions on the wiki were accurate10:45
mantienacjwatson: is different mkisofs options needed for bootable DVD, than for CD ?10:47
mantienacjwatson: sorry for bothering, but could you tell me what Ubuntu version is running on ubuntu server, which builds ubuntu edgy DVD ?10:48
cjwatson6.06 IIRC10:49
=== Kagou [n=Kagou@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mantienacjwatson: thanks, so, I guess this is Edgy's mkisofs bug10:51
cjwatsonI have no idea10:51
mantienaI will try with genisofs from Debian10:51
=== Gman is now known as GmanAFK
Mithrandirdoko: the ecj bug list, is that the list of outstanding bugs, the list of fixed bugs or what?10:54
dokoMithrandir: fixed (and read only those with the compiler keyword)10:55
Mithrandirdoko: do you have a list of changes from the current version in ubuntu?  The release notes seems to contain a whole lot of irrelevant stuff.10:56
=== freeflying [n=freeflyi@ubuntu/member/freeflying] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokoMithrandir: nothing but a diff, if that helps you.10:58
dokopitti: the bad news was that did discover two new packages with time zone data10:59
Mithrandirdoko: no, that doesn't help me.11:00
mantienabtw, who is responsible for discover1 and discover-data packages ? There is an important bug , when  discover1 assings vesa driver for lots of video cards - look at bug #8935611:01
UbugtuMalone bug 89356 in Baltix "Lines with string "unknown" in second and/or third column should be removed from /lib/discover/pci.lst " [Undecided,Unconfirmed]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/8935611:01
Mithrandirdoko: I need a list of changes, though.11:01
Riddellmvo: no change on dist-upgrader upload?11:02
mvoRiddell: last time I checked, 0.57.8 was in the archive11:02
mvoRiddell: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/feisty/main/dist-upgrader-all/ lists it (since 2.mar)11:03
=== gismo_ [n=stef@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokoMithrandir: there is none, same situation as in any eclipse release11:03
Riddellmvo: ah, it's just current isn't updated11:04
mvoRiddell: I will raise that with cprov, once he is available in #soyuz11:04
mvoRiddell: thank you for verifiing!11:05
mvoRiddell: got my /msg about something unreleated?11:05
mantienamjg59: hi, are you online ?11:09
=== finalbeta [n=finalbet@d54C68D0D.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sjoerd [n=sjoerd@tunnel3460.ipv6.xs4all.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== stephanbuys [n=stephanb@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Keybuk"The project is an attempt to deliver a complete Linux-based operating system supplemented by Islam study software (in Arabic and English) and by an innovative system tray utility that alerts the user to prayer times and automatically plays the appropriate prayer (the prayers are in the free Ogg-Vorbis format)."11:24
Keybukthat is so cool11:24
pittilol, apt-get install priest11:24
=== seb128 [n=seb128@ubuntu/member/seb128] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiyay rookery!11:33
seb128pitti: rock on ;)11:36
pittiseb128: I'll upload a new apport with the fakechroot support now, so that it is easy to install in fakechroots11:36
gpocentekpitti: could you promote thunar-volman-plugin to main? you've approved the MIR11:36
=== seb128 hugs pitti
pittigpocentek: in a bit11:37
gpocentekpitti: thanks11:37
gpocentekpitti: oh, and the i386 binary is missing in the archive, no idea why (it didn't FTBFS)11:37
pittisimply not built yet?11:37
gpocentekit's built11:37
gpocentekpitti: https://launchpad.net/+builds/+build/301985 << it's built11:38
stgrabersome packages built yesterday evening (~22:00 utc) are still not on archive.u.c11:39
gpocentekstgraber: this one built weeks ago11:39
stgraberreally weird then :)11:40
pittigpocentek: this needs to be settled out before main promotion11:40
gpocentekpitti: can I just do a non-change upload?11:42
pittigpocentek: let me look11:42
pittithunar-volman-plugin | 0.1.2-0ubuntu1 | feisty/universe | source, amd64, ia64, powerpc, sparc11:43
cjwatsonit's probably in failed-to-move; let me check11:43
pittiit's not in binary NEW at least11:44
cjwatson13:06:43 INFO    Rejected:11:45
cjwatson13:06:43 INFO    thunar-volman-plugin_0.1.2-0ubuntu1_i386.deb: Version older than that in the archive. 0.1.2-0ubuntu1 <= 0.1.2-0ubuntu111:45
cjwatsonhow about I just retry it11:45
iwjlfittl, zul: bug 89133> Let me know if you're around.11:46
UbugtuMalone bug 89133 in xen-source "Problem with blktap and LVM (device numbers)" [Undecided,Needs info]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/8913311:46
cjwatsonit's quite insistent that it's in the archive11:48
=== mbiebl [n=michael@e180098207.adsl.alicedsl.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsondefinitely not in the db though ...11:56
cjwatson10:46:43 DEBUG   Checking for thunar-volman-plugin/0.1.2-0ubuntu1/i386 binary ancestry11:57
cjwatson10:46:43 DEBUG   thunar-volman-plugin: (binary) exists in amd64/RELEASE11:57
=== cjwatson sounds the soyuz bug klaxon
fabbionedoko: i am on vacation till next monday. we have halley (ia64) at the datacenter for porting12:02
=== Monk-e [n=guido@c529dd229.cable.wanadoo.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsongpocentek: a new upload will probably not help (or if it does, will only help by accident) and will make it harder for the Soyuz guys to reproduce this bug, so please don't12:03
dokofabbione: halley is still down. I'm submitting a bug report; may I subscribe you?12:03
fabbionedoko: my ia64 is turned off and hasn't been updated in ages, but i can for sure look at it once i am back12:04
fabbionedoko: best if you mail me the bug number12:04
=== fabbione gets tons of bugs
=== fabbione &
gpocentekcjwatson: ok12:08
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@backup.grad.hr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsongpocentek,pitti: bug 8984612:12
UbugtuMalone bug 89846 in soyuz "binary ancestry calculation broken for new binary packages" [Undecided,Unconfirmed]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/8984612:12
geserMithrandir, cjwatson: do you if someone is working on an uvf exception for fuse 2.6.3?12:15
ogracjwatson, is there any equivalent to the old loadkeys command in the new console-setup implementation ? 12:15
Mithrandirgeser: I haven't heard of any.12:15
ograi tried setupcon, but it needs a full config file12:15
cjwatsonogra: you can still use ckbcomp and loadkeys in combination12:17
cjwatsonogra: I'm afraid there's nothing quite as simple as the old loadkeys invocation yet, though12:17
=== cliebow_ [n=cliebow@cpe-76-179-82-249.maine.res.rr.com] has left #ubuntu-devel ["aU]
cjwatson(loadkeys is used by setupcon)12:17
ograoh, if i call it directly its missing something ...12:17
cjwatsonyou can't just use 'loadkeys uk' or whatever, no12:18
cjwatsonmore like ckbcomp -model pc105 gb | loadkeys12:18
=== shiyee [n=Shiyee@homer.cs.aau.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ograah, k12:18
ograyeah, works, thanks :)12:20
ograbtw, your ldm code had a slight typo ... "while [ "$(fgconsole)" = "$orig_console" ] ; then" ...12:22
ograerr s/ldm/usplash/12:22
cjwatsonogra: where's the typo?12:23
ograthen vs do12:23
cjwatsonyes, fair point12:23
ogrageser, not yet ... feel free to use me as upload bitch if you want ...12:25
=== freeflying [n=freeflyi@ubuntu/member/freeflying] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ograi tink the upstream comments justify an UVF exception12:26
=== pkl_ [n=phillip@lougher.demon.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jsgotangco [n=jsg123@ubuntu/member/jsgotangco] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mneptokomegabeta: export PS1="[%n@%m]  %{$fg_bold[blue] %}%B%1/%b%} :: "12:50
=== Hobbsee [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mneptok[user@host]  pwd ::12:50
mneptokoops ww12:52
=== Hobbsee waves
=== mneptok gets seasick
=== Mithrandir tickles Hobbsee
=== Hobbsee stomps on Mithrandir's feet
pittiseb128: can you please binary-NEW apport-retrace? I don't want to NEW my own stuff12:53
pittiseb128: please put it into main, I'll seed it12:53
seb128pitti: looking12:53
pittiseb128: if you manage in the next 10 minutes, I can set up the fakechroots soon :)12:53
=== pitti hugs seb128
=== seb128 hugs pitti
=== mneptok gets FIRED UP!
pittiseb128: (seeded)12:56
seb128pitti: and binary accepted to main12:57
pittiseb128: let's get ready to rumble then :-P12:57
=== mneptok hugsn apport-retrace as if he hasn't seen it in 2 Herd releases
pittimneptok: don't squeeze the important bits out of it :)12:58
=== cprov [n=cprov@monga.dorianet.com.br] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mneptokpitti: it has important bits?12:59
pittimneptok: yes, the '1' ones12:59
StevenKpitti: You approved cryus-imapd-2.2 into edgy-proposed. Whyfor are the only .deb's appearing in the Packages list for edgy-propsed on this machine only arch all?01:00
mneptokdon't tell me there's not one bit of difference between null and zero, because that's exactly how much  difference there is.01:00
pittiStevenK: maybe it hasn't built yet on the other arches? or it's yet another failed-to-move fallout?01:00
StevenKpitti: It certainly built.01:01
StevenK... or did it.01:01
Fujitsupitti: What does this fakechroot support achieve?01:02
pittiFujitsu: complicated answer: you can generate, update, and retrace in chroots entirely with user privileges01:03
pittiFujitsu: easy answer: automatic crash retracing in the DC01:03
FujitsuI do like the latter of those two. Is there an ETA for it all being automatic?01:04
pittiFujitsu: the level of automatism will raise over time01:04
pittiFujitsu: first stage is manual invocation in the DC until I wrote the bits for interacting with Malone01:05
pittiFujitsu: I need to work around some limitations of Malone, like the lack of an interface to add new attachments, and search for bugs starting with a certain number01:05
=== hoora_ [i=ariel@gateway/tor/x-68aa899e3a5d2f41] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Fujitsupitti: Surely such requests would have high priority with the LP guys?01:06
pittiFujitsu: well, except that there is other stuff with even higher prio :)01:06
pittiFujitsu: and if we can cope with the currrent functionality, so much the better01:07
StevenKpitti:  edgy amd64   Successfully built01:09
FujitsuHow are you going to manage adding attachments without a non-HTML interface?01:09
StevenKpitti: Will you look, or should I bug somebody else?01:10
pittiFujitsu: either I use the HTML interface and need to sort out the authentication bits, or I attach the retraced stack traces inline with an email01:10
pittiStevenK: look for what? buildd -> infinity or Mithrandir; Soyuz screwage -> cprov or cjwatson 01:10
sladenmjg59: should apmd/libapmd be being installed on an ugrade?01:12
mjg59Doubt it.01:12
mjg59They probably ought to be part of base, though01:12
MithrandirStevenK: checking01:13
cjwatsondesktop: * apmd [i386] 01:13
iwjRiddell: re bug 89489> In Kubuntu, what controls how dpkg is run when you `right [click]  the mouse to install a .deb package' ?01:13
UbugtuMalone bug 89489 in initramfs-tools "initramfs-tools hangs on modprobe --show-depends thermal" [Undecided,Unconfirmed]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/8948901:14
cjwatsonso that should be installed on upgrade01:14
sladencjwatson: nod01:14
=== jack_at_home [n=jack@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== TeTeT [n=spindler@modemcable178.77-70-69.static.videotron.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
StevenKMithrandir: Thanks01:17
StevenKpitti: Fair enough, okay.01:17
=== dholbach [n=daniel@i59F73459.versanet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Riddelliwj: it's just a script that launches a console with dpkg --install, pretty primitive01:19
mjg59cjwatson: No negative feedback from the parted people, so that patch ought to be good to go01:20
cjwatsonwhich one?01:20
mjg59The gpt/mbr syncing one01:20
cjwatsonmjg59: I haven't seen the patch yet - did you throw it at a bug?01:21
mjg59Oh, Malone is making me cry01:21
cjwatsonah, bug 8481501:22
UbugtuMalone bug 84815 in partman-efi "Fails to correctly set up partitions on Intel Macs" [Undecided,Needs info]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/8481501:22
cjwatsonor not01:22
mjg59No, it was an earlier one01:22
mjg59How do I get a list of bugs I'm subscribed to?01:22
Riddelliwj: Exec=xterm -title "%c" -e 'sudo dpkg -i %U; echo "Press <enter> to exit..."; read;'01:23
mjg59cjwatson: Ah - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/4685301:24
UbugtuMalone bug 46853 in ubiquity "grub install fails on EFI Intel Macs" [Medium,In progress]  01:24
=== elmo [n=james@83-216-156-21.jamest747.adsl.metronet.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonok, thanks, I'll look after lunch then01:24
MithrandirStevenK: soyuz ate them, I'm looking at recovering them.01:25
fabbionedoko: heartbeat failed on sparc too01:26
fabbioneMithrandir: could you be so kind to check outdate to see if something has been stalling on sparc to cause   libcurl3-dev: Depends: libcurl3-openssl-dev (= 7.15.5-1ubuntu2) but it is not going to be installed ?01:27
=== fabbione shouldn't even be here
Mithrandirfabbione: curl is needs-build on sparc01:28
MithrandirI've bumped the priority of it, so it should be in soonish01:28
fabbionedoko: the heartbeat problem might be a missing kernel header..01:28
fabbioneia64: checking for linux/icmpv6.h... no01:29
fabbionei386: checking for linux/icmpv6.h... yes01:29
fabbionedoko: ^^ this one is the problem for sure.. you can see in the i386 build log that it then builds IPv6addr01:29
fabbioneMithrandir: thanks a lot.01:30
Mithrandirfabbione: sparc seems busy with guile and new gcc ATM, but guile is just about finished so I'll give back heartbeat once it's in.01:30
fabbioneMithrandir: that's great. thanks01:30
Mithrandir(which should be in an hour or so)01:31
=== mvo_ [n=egon@p54A67277.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokoMithrandir: how does giving back heartbeat help?01:36
Mithrandirdoko: wasn't the heartbeat failure on sparc due to the curl skew?01:36
=== zul [n=chuck@ubuntu/member/zul] has joined #ubuntu-devel
StevenKMithrandir: Aye, thanks.01:38
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@backup.grad.hr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
StevenKMithrandir: So Soyuz ate all of the arch dependant .debs and let through the two arch indep ones. Neat.01:39
MithrandirStevenK: yes, something like that.  We need code changes to recover it, but cprov is working on that.01:39
dokoMithrandir: ohh, sorry01:39
StevenKMithrandir: Okay, cool.01:39
Mithrandirdoko: it might not be, I wasn't following the discussion 100%.01:39
=== cr3 [n=marc@pdpc/supporter/bronze/cr3] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokoMithrandir: no I checked now, please requeue01:40
Mithrandirdoko: do you know when ooo 2.2 is scheduled for?01:41
fabbioneMithrandir: yes.. heartbeat on sparc is due to curl01:44
fabbionedoko: did you read above about ia64?01:44
dokoMithrandir: it was scheduled for Wednesday, but probably will be delayed  by a few days. (rc3 was unexpected). there's a release meeting today, so expect some news01:45
Mithrandirdoko: thanks; keep me posted.01:45
StevenKFeisty with Oo.o 2.2 would be awesome.01:46
StevenKIf I can put my $0.0002 in.01:46
Mithrandirit would.  But I'd much rather have 2.2 than 2.2rc301:47
=== StevenK nods.
=== robertj_ [n=robertj@66-168-215-105.dhcp.athn.ga.charter.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
iwjRiddell: Ah.  Because that's obviously not robust against spaces in filenames.  (I meant bug 57102, not 89489.)  Can I assign the bug to you, if you know where this script is ?01:49
UbugtuMalone bug 57102 in dpkg "Kubuntu 6.06 locale problem: package doesn't get installed when it is in a directory with spaces on its name" [Undecided,Confirmed]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/5710201:49
=== dholbach_ [n=daniel@i59F752EF.versanet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
MirvMithrandir: have you had time to check if the two patches for importance "High" bugs in xserver-xorg-video-ati could be put to feisty? (22985 with 19 duplicates, 63503 with 6 duplicates). or should I ask someone else to check&include those?01:53
Keybukyou can't even build most software in directories with spaces in their name01:53
iwjKeybuk: Yes, but these are err naive users who expect pointyclicky things to work.01:53
MithrandirMirv: it might be better to ask tepsipakki, since he's been doing X work lately.01:53
iwjNot people trying to build software.01:53
Riddelliwj: sure01:54
iwjRiddell: Done, thanks.01:54
MirvMithrandir: ok, then01:54
Keybukiwj: good point01:56
=== sahin_h [n=ezaz@dsl5400DA5A.pool.t-online.hu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tkamppeter [n=till@bl8-127-7.dsl.telepac.pt] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zul [n=chuck@CPE0006258ec6c1-CM000a73655d0e.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti_ [n=pitti@dialin-212-144-087-184.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti_ is now known as pitti
dokohmm, after I upgraded all machines to feisty, I see a long delay (4sec) ssh'ing between the machines02:06
torkeldoko: #84899 ???02:08
dokobug 8489902:10
UbugtuMalone bug 84899 in openssh "SSH with GSSAPIAuthentication option on SSH servers are very slow" [Undecided,Unconfirmed]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/8489902:10
=== francis [n=apokryph@87-194-86-227.bethere.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Hobbsee gets afraid when there are bugs like these....
UbugtuMalone bug 89856 in Ubuntu "Protection at what cost? " [Undecided,Unconfirmed]  02:19
=== auxesis_ [n=lindsay@] has left #ubuntu-devel []
Hobbseethanks mjg59 02:24
Hobbseemjg59: i was trying to think of what to reply in a diplomatic way...02:24
=== abattoir [n=abattoir@cm235.omega19.maxonline.com.sg] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Keybukiwj: hmm, so what kind of tests would one run once the package is installed?02:27
=== `anthony [n=anthony@220-253-48-7.VIC.netspace.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mat__ [n=mat@home.virgule.info] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== giskard [n=giskard@213-140-22-74.fastres.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jamesh [n=james@203-59-195-215.dyn.iinet.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== chand| [n=rsamson@linagoraberri.pck.nerim.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== gnomefreak [n=gnomefre@ubuntu/member/gnomefreak] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jwendell [n=wendell@ubuntu/member/wendell] has joined #ubuntu-devel
iwjKeybuk: Well, that would depend on the package.  For something like upstart you'd probably have some test events, or check that some events you had anyway were properly processed.02:42
=== WaterSevenUb [n=WaterSev@azevedo.astro.up.pt] has joined #ubuntu-devel
iwjSome of those kind of tests would be rather intrusive on a system you were trying to use for something else which would make autopkgtest's xenlvm stuff come in handy.02:42
Keybukiwj: can the tests destroy the running system?02:44
=== BenC_ [n=bcollins@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
iwjKeybuk: Yes, they're allowed to.  You're supposed to declare this in the metadata.02:47
iwj(So that it won't run them if your virtualisation isn't sufficiently good.)02:47
iwjAlthough I suppose if you destroy the system enough it might be too broken for adt-run to retreive the results :-).02:48
Keybukthe obvious upstart tests would be to create a new job, make sure it's parsed and loaded, try starting it, querying the status, killing the process, see if it respawns, stopping the job again; then emitting an event to see if the job gets started, and another to see whether it gets stopped02:48
cjwatsondoko: if GSSAPIAuthentication=no doesn't fix it then it's surely not the same problem and shouldn't be conflated in the same bug02:57
cjwatsondoko: anyway, ssh -vvv and possibly some indication of the point in the verbose trace where it seems to hang would help02:57
Mithrandircjwatson: maybe ssh with a sufficient number of -v-s should print timing information, like you can get strace to do?02:58
Mithrandirjust a thought.02:58
cjwatson=> upstream ;-)02:58
cjwatsonwouldn't hurt, it's true02:58
Mithrandirdoes upstream have a useful bug tracker, or can you take it there?02:59
cjwatsonthere should be a command to do that for arbitrary subsidiary commands02:59
cjwatsonbug tracker> bugzilla.mindrot.org02:59
cjwatsonaddtimings ssh -vvv blah02:59
Mithrandirhmm, true.  That'd be useful.02:59
cjwatsonjust grab its stdout and stderr, select on them, and stick gettimeofday in front every time you get a completed line03:00
tkamppeterMithrandir, pitti, as you have probably seen in my e-mail I have made new cupsys and gnome-cups-manager packages for network printer auto-detection.03:02
Mithrandirtkamppeter: yes, I just haven't gotten around to answering yet.03:03
tkamppeterThere I have a problem with the debian/*.templates and dpkg-reconfigure mechanism.03:03
tkamppeterI have modified the debian/cupsys.templates file to change the defaults (activate snmp backend).03:05
tepsipakkiI have a new version of ati-driver to test.. it has three patches included which fix bugs03:06
tkamppeterIf I do a fresh install of cupsys the snmp backend is active immediately, but if I update cupsys, the old configuration is conserved and so snmp is inactive,03:06
pittitkamppeter: but that sounds about right03:06
tepsipakkiit's here: http://users.tkk.fi/~tjaalton/xorg72/new03:06
=== RadiantFire [n=ryan@ip68-230-209-186.rd.hr.cox.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
tkamppeterHow can I let the update of the cupsys package activate the snmp backend?03:06
tepsipakkii386 deb included, built in pbuilder03:06
pittitkamppeter: if you want to enable it by default on upgrades, you need to add the symlink in the postinst03:06
=== pochu [n=pochu@ubuntu/member/pochu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
tkamppeterpitti, only disadvantage of this approach is that if someone changes the configuration manually, these changes get lost with every update.03:10
pittitkamppeter: how do you mean? adding the symlink in the postinst should work with a reconfigured package as well?03:11
tkamppeterIs there nothing with which one can tell whether the settings of the previous config are defaults or changed by the user?03:11
pittitkamppeter: why do you want to know that?03:12
pitti(no, you have to check the symlink structure manually)03:12
=== BenC [n=bcollins@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
tkamppeterI mean, if in postinst a symlink is set, this symlink is set everytime when the package is updated, If the user configures the symlink away (because he does not his 1000 network printers being listed) the symlink gets set again when he updates cupsys the next time.03:13
=== BenC [n=bcollins@debian/developer/bcollins] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittitkamppeter: no, you must use dpkg --compare-versions on $2 to only do it once03:14
tkamppeterI want to know whether a setting is default or set by hand, so that I apply new defaults only to settings which were on default before.03:14
pittitkamppeter: there's no way to find out03:15
pittitkamppeter: users might meddle with the symlinks manually, or switch a backend on and off again, etc.03:15
pittitkamppeter: in a situation where you aren't sure whether it's a good idea to change a default configuration, then it's most likely *not* a good idea to do it03:16
tkamppeterSo perhaps the dpkg --compare-versions approach is the best, so I do the change of the default via postinst only if the package to be replaced is cupsys 1.2.8-0ubuntu2 or older.03:16
pittitkamppeter: sth. like dpkg --compare-versions "$2" lt-nl <version that has the default change>03:17
=== abattoir_ [n=abattoir@cm235.omega19.maxonline.com.sg] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== freeflying [i=root@gobstopper.dreamhost.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
tkamppeterThis introduces the new functionality for every user who never cared about changing these setting (99% of the users) and the 1 % (and these users know about how CUPS works) who wants the newly activated backends turned off turn them back off once and then they stay off on future updates.03:19
seb128tkamppeter: hi03:24
seb128tkamppeter: do you know if there is a standard user,password to use when trying to add a smb printer from a windows XP box?03:25
Mithrandirtkamppeter: also note that changing configuration outside of debconf must be supported and the configuration scripts must pick up the changes from the file system.03:25
tkamppeterseb128: AFAIR you can make shared printers available for guests under windows and then they work with user name GUEST and without password. In the smb://... URI of CUPS you simply omit user and password. You supply at least hostname or IP and share name and optionally the workgroup name in the URI.03:32
=== did447 [n=didier@LPuteaux-151-41-32-62.w217-128.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128tkamppeter: let me try again, with no user,pwd or guest it was going to next step with gnome-cups-manager but the printer is not added and there is an IPP code error on the command line03:33
=== BenC_ [n=bcollins@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== BenC [n=bcollins@debian/developer/bcollins] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== xerxas [n=r67894@AGrenoble-257-1-66-199.w86-211.abo.wanadoo.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
xerxasHi all03:38
seb128tkamppeter: "** (gnome-cups-add:18083): WARNING **: IPP request failed with status 1028"03:39
tkamppeterseb128, this is another bug, which I have already fixed, see bug 81787. Download and install the foomatic-db-engine referenced there, then try again.03:43
UbugtuMalone bug 81787 in foomatic-db-engine "Can't add printer with the Postscript Driver" [Medium,Fix committed]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/8178703:43
seb128tkamppeter: trying03:43
=== tkamppeter [n=till@bl8-127-7.dsl.telepac.pt] has joined #ubuntu-devel
did447Hi, as there's some works done on casper is it possible to fix : 79064, 66585,  62868 and 68054? Each of them are a one or two lines change.03:50
=== bddebian [n=bdefrees@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Nafallo [n=nafallo@ubuntu/member/nafallo] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== nanobot68 [n=db@cm217-202.liwest.at] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiseb128: please say hello to bug 88999, the very first apport retrace generated on ronne :)03:55
UbugtuMalone bug 88999 in gnome-system-tools "[apport]  network-admin crashed with SIGSEGV in gst_network_locations_get_current()" [Undecided,Unconfirmed]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/8899903:55
=== j_ack [n=rudi@p508DC0A7.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== twilight [n=twilight@ubuntu/member/twilight] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128pitti: waouh, ROCK ON04:00
=== seb128 hugs pitti
=== pochu [n=pochu@ubuntu/member/pochu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128pitti: it's a dup, but nice ;)04:01
pittiseb128: no problem, you can run it yourself now if you want04:03
seb128pitti: I'll try just after restarting to look if the printer works from windows on that box04:04
=== seb128 [n=seb128@ubuntu/member/seb128] has joined #ubuntu-devel
tkamppeterpitti, I have found out now that the settings of the cupsys.template file are in the sections with owner cupsys in the /var/cache/debconf/config.dat file and the postinst deletes all links and then loads the settings and sets the links according to these settings. So the one-time setting of the symlink would get lost on the next update.04:14
seb128tkamppeter: no, that update doesn't fix it, with windows it works without asking any information though, the printer is an HP Deskjet04:14
tkamppeterI suggest a one-time modification of the cupsys/backend line in the /var/cache/debconf/config.dat file. This should work correctly.04:15
tkamppeterIs there a special command to be used in the postinst script to modify this line?04:15
=== cprov [n=cprov@monga.dorianet.com.br] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsondon't change config.dat directly whatever you do04:16
cjwatsonyou can source the debconf confmodule and use db_set if you're very very careful. See debconf-devel(7) in the debconf-doc package04:16
=== jsgotangco [n=jsg@ubuntu/member/jsgotangco] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsondebconf-using code is supposed to honour settings in the filesystem before those in the database, though, so that is unnecessary with correctly-written code04:17
tkamppeterseb128, so the IPP error is probably not caused by not being able to build the PPD (that problem happened only with PostScript printers) but because of a bad URI.04:17
seb128tkamppeter: I don't type any URI, I pick the computer and printer from the dropdown boxes on the dialog04:18
tkamppeterseb128, you DeskJet can be installed on a local USB or parallel port without any problem?04:18
tkamppeterseb128, then gnome-cups-manager builds a bad URI.04:19
tkamppeterWhat exactly do you select on the first page of the wizard (printer connection)?04:19
seb128Network Printer04:20
seb128then Windows Printer (SMB)04:20
seb128I cancel the "authentification required" for the different network boxes which have no printer04:21
tkamppetercjwatso, then this code is not correct:04:21
tkamppeterdb_get cupsys/backend && SELECTED=$RET04:21
tkamppeterlist=`echo $SELECTED | sed -e 's/, /,/g'`04:21
tkamppeter(cd /usr/lib/cups/backend && rm -f http ipp lpd parallel scsi serial socket usb snmp)04:21
tkamppeterfor module in $list; do04:21
tkamppeter  ln /usr/lib/cups/backend-available/$module /usr/lib/cups/backend/$module04:21
tkamppeter  if [ "$module" = "ipp" ] ; then04:21
tkamppeter            ln /usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp /usr/lib/cups/backend/http04:21
tkamppeter  fi04:21
Mithrandirtkamppeter: use a pastebin, please.04:21
tkamppeterIt reads out from the db, then deletes all symlinks and applies the result of the db query.04:22
seb128then I pick the host from the first dropdown, use GUEST no pwd for the identification, then pick the printer from the other dropdown and click on forward04:22
cjwatsontkamppeter: indeed, it's wrong.04:23
cjwatsontkamppeter: not to mention the dire shell quoting.04:23
tkamppeterseb128, can you also try not filling in both username and password and then see in /etc/printers.conf which URI you get and also filling in both username and password with arbitrary values and see what URI you get?04:24
cjwatsontkamppeter: although such wrongness is not quite so bad when it's in /usr, I guess04:24
cjwatsonit would be a LARTing offence in /etc.04:24
tkamppeterseb128, for me it looks like that gnome-cups-manager has a bug and does not handle correctly if you enter only a user name and no password.04:25
tkamppeterTo test whether CUPS is OK, set up your print queue in gnome-cups-manager with GUEST as user name and xxx as password, then edit /etc/cups/printers.conf removing @xxx from the URI and restart CUPS. Then try to print into this queue.04:27
seb128tkamppeter: there is no printer added, none listed to /etc/cups/printers.conf04:31
=== giftnudel [n=mb@p54A93703.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
tkamppetercjwatson, for the raw printing the code in the cupsys.postinst looks better. It starts with "db_fget cupsys/raw-print changed" and then does only things if the result is true. Is this a check whether the user has manually changed something?04:32
=== Monk-e [n=guido@c529dd229.cable.wanadoo.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mc44_ [n=mc44@unaffiliated/mc44] has joined #ubuntu-devel
tkamppeterseb129, even if you fill in both user name and password?04:37
seb128with GUEST and random password04:37
seb128or random user and random password04:38
seb128or nothing04:38
=== pirast [n=martin@p508B2BBA.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pirastcould anyone please activate the nominations in bug 89863?04:38
UbugtuMalone bug 89863 in asterisk "Asterisk 1.2.16 fixes a recently discovered security vulnerability" [Undecided,Confirmed]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/8986304:38
=== Gerrath_svolpe [n=Gerrath_@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
keescookpirast: sure, done.04:39
seb128hi keescook04:40
keescookhiya seb128.  I'm not really here yet.  ;)04:40
seb128keescook: I'm just saying hello, I've no work for you, don't worry ;)04:40
pirastkeescook, thanks ;-)04:41
keescookhehe, cool.  :)  I'm already looking forward to May.04:41
tkamppeterseb128, can you try once using another connection type than smb and the same PPD file and see whether you get a queue then?04:41
tkamppeterAnd also try to stay with smb but use another PPD. Do you get a queue with that?04:41
seb128tkamppeter: other PPD with smb does the same, trying without smb now04:43
seb128tkamppeter: with ipp and the same ppd the printer is added correctly04:44
tkamppeterSo there is a bug in the gnome-cups-manager. It builds broken URIs for the SMB backend.04:45
=== mc44_ is now known as mc44
tkamppeterseb128, can you run gnome-cups-add through strace, try to set up an SMB printer again and then search the strace output for a URI beginning with smb://...? Can you post the URI here, and also try to set up a queue with the lpadmin command using this URI?04:47
seb128tkamppeter: I'll have a look at debugging that, strace -f doesn't list any uri or anything with "smb" when trying to add it04:50
=== theCore [n=alex@ubuntu/member/theCore] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Lure [n=lure@clj46-234.dial-up.arnes.si] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== LaserJock [n=mantha@ubuntu/member/laserjock] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pirastkesscook, am i allowed to change the maintainer field in a security update (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebianMaintainerField)?04:54
pittipirast: doesn't make much of a differencee, but I'd prefer not to04:54
cjwatsontkamppeter: db_fget checks whether the question has been "seen" (i.e. presented to the user) by debconf. This is a slight improvement but still wrong. See the "Config file handling" section of debconf-devel(7) in the debconf-doc package.04:54
pittipirast: you should use the dpkg tools from the stable chroot you're building the update in04:54
pirastpitti, .... okay...04:55
=== shiyee [n=Shiyee@0x503e778e.abnxx4.adsl-dhcp.tele.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== giftnudel [n=mb@p54A93703.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@34-62.dsl.iskon.hr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mvo__ [n=egon@p54A679DC.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== iwj resorts to taking photos of the BIOS splash screen with a digicam.
=== psusi [i=hidden-u@iriserv.iradimed.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti [n=pitti@ubuntu/member/pitti] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== silwol [n=silwol@cm164-6.liwest.at] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sacater [n=sacater@host86-140-36-36.range86-140.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== giftnudel_ [n=mb@p54A9127C.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== shackan_ [n=shackan@85-18-136-77.fastres.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dholbach [n=daniel@i59F752EF.versanet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== shackan__ [n=shackan@85-18-14-13.fastres.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sladen [i=paul@starsky.19inch.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== aneeshm [n=aneeshm@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== aneeshm [n=aneeshm@] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Konversation]
=== jdong [n=jdong@ubuntu/member/jdong] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jcole [i=jcole@nat/hp/x-175f4f4b4d223fd2] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== glatzor [n=sebi@p5496758B.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== neighborlee [n=gleej@c-24-16-9-153.hsd1.mn.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jdong_ [n=jdong@STRATTON-SEVEN-THIRTY-ONE.MIT.EDU] has joined #ubuntu-devel
neighborleeby chance is nvidia isntall via synatpic working in hurd 5 ?05:41
gnomefreakpitti: when you get a minute, what package holds apport-retrace command? (apport)? there doesnt seem to be a command apport-retrace in feisty anymore.05:41
gnomefreakneighborlee: yes works here05:41
gnomefreakneighborlee: try #ubuntu+105:41
pittignomefreak: it's in the new 'apport-retrace' package now05:41
pittignomefreak: I'll write an announcement soon05:41
gnomefreakoh ok ty :)05:41
neighborleewow thatsg a nice surprise given that I had no luck with  it in edgy05:41
dokoMithrandir: please requeue scim-hangul on all archs but sparc05:42
neighborleegnomefreak, what is this +1 all about05:42
gnomefreakneighborlee: #uubntu+1 is the feisty support channel05:42
neighborleeahok ic thsx05:42
=== mbiebl [n=michael@e180106039.adsl.alicedsl.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cypher1 [n=cypher1@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== illovae [n=illovae@uni14-1-82-233-221-131.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== imbrandon [n=brandon@ubuntu/member/pdpc.active.imbrandon] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== finalbeta [n=finalbet@d54C68D0D.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== finalbeta [n=finalbet@d54C68D0D.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittignomefreak: I just sent some details to ubuntu-devel@05:54
gnomefreakpitti: ty working on it to see if it is causing my issues05:55
=== Znarl [n=znarl@jewel.roundabout.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Znarl [n=znarl@jewel.roundabout.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Riddell [i=jr@kde/jriddell] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hagi [n=hagi@adsl-84-227-40-97.adslplus.ch] has joined #ubuntu-devel
asackeescook: ping06:04
keescookasac: pong06:05
asackeescook: you got my pm ?06:05
keescookyup, replying now...06:05
=== pochu [n=pochu@ubuntu/member/pochu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
keescookhi pitti.06:10
pittimoin keescook 06:10
keescookack: so I can't run apport-retrace as a result user without fakechroot?06:10
shawarmaWho reviews Summer of Code applications for Ubuntu?06:11
pittikeescook: you can, you can just not install packages06:11
pittikeescook: or you have to change /var/lib/apt etc. to belong to you in the chroot06:11
cjwatsonshawarma: doko and Keybuk are doing it this year06:11
pittikeescook: however, the general idea is right now to call retrace on ronne, and get fully automatic retracing in Malone soon06:12
keescookpitti: yup.  well, I'll deal with it.  :)06:13
=== cprov [n=cprov@200-171-140-32.dsl.telesp.net.br] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== robitaille [n=daniel@ubuntu/member/robitaille] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== johanbr [n=j@JBrannlund.MathStat.Dal.Ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
keescookMithrandir: just wanted to double-check, I'm about to sponsor/upload asac's thunderbird security update for feisty.  I'm assuming this is okay since it's effectively a regular security upload.06:25
pochupitti: are feisty crash reports supposed to have a coredump?06:26
pochuI have a bug without it, so I can't use apport-retrace06:26
=== mbiebl [n=michael@e180106039.adsl.alicedsl.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jdong [n=jdong@ubuntu/member/jdong] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lemsx1 [n=lemsx1@p86-65.acedsl.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lemsx1guys is nice to see that everything just works on Feisty06:34
lemsx1i just wanted to point that out06:35
seb128lemsx1: nice to know ;)06:35
lemsx1seb128: i'm loving that Gray theme... minimalist and slick06:36
=== jono [n=jono@ubuntu/member/jono] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== j_ack [n=rudi@p508DC0A7.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== holycow [n=hello@mail.wjsgroup.com] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Ex-Chat"]
=== jdong [n=jdong@ubuntu/member/jdong] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== madmax [i=madmax@poseidon.b.astral.ro] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jdong_ [n=jdong@SIMMONS-THREE-EIGHTY-ONE.MIT.EDU] has joined #ubuntu-devel
madmaxhey there... i filed a bug about freetype some days ago and nobody even noticed it... i even included a link to the solution (the patch that fixes it in CVS)... is there any more i can do?06:43
=== MagnusR [n=magru@c83-252-237-96.bredband.comhem.se] has joined #ubuntu-devel
bluefoxicyshould compress be packaged with the standard system?06:46
=== pvanhoof [n=pvanhoof@d54C0EE14.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
bluefoxicyit looks like it's needed for XSI compliance (SUSv3 streams interface etc), for some weird reason; IIRC it used LZ77 compression, which sucked BUT now is no longer patented ... wasn't that the gif patent?06:47
bluefoxicyhttp://www.unix.org/version3/apis/cu.html is where I'm looking.06:48
=== twilight [n=twilight@ubuntu/member/twilight] has left #ubuntu-devel []
pittipochu: you can submit 'reduced reports' without a core dump06:52
pochuoh, the second option :)06:52
pochupitti: ty06:52
=== ubuntu_ [n=ubuntu@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cypherbios [n=cypher@ubuntu/member/cypherbios] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittipochu: however, this needs to be redesigned a bit, see bug 8743006:53
UbugtuMalone bug 87430 in apport "do not accept short crash reports for firefox" [Low,In progress]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/8743006:53
pirastkeescook, i can do the asterisk feisty task because i'd like not to have an ancient version in feisty :-)06:54
pirastkeescook, i am going to get a sync request then..06:54
keescookpirast: cool, sure.06:54
keescookfeel free to update the assignment; I'm doing Dapper while I'm in here.  :)06:54
pirastokay, great :)06:55
=== asufaskjfaskjf [n=[knap] @] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pochupitti: maybe apport can download the debugsymbols, and retrace it before upload :)06:55
pittino way :/06:56
pittipochu: well, if you have apport-retrace installed, the GUI could offer the possiblity06:56
pittibut that's strictly for developers06:56
pittiddebs are huge06:56
pittipochu: bug 75901, btw06:57
UbugtuMalone bug 75901 in apport "Integrate apport-retrace into GUI" [Wishlist,Confirmed]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/7590106:57
pochupitti: when you click on "do not ask again" for an app crash, can that be changed to report it?06:58
pochuit seems the reported clicked on that...: "after a few covers it crashes (now even apport does not startup...)."06:58
pittipochu: covers?06:58
pittipochu: you mean, change it to always report crashes for a particular app?06:59
pittithat doesn't make too much sense IMHO06:59
=== khermans__ [i=administ@nat/cisco/x-4973a7fc3d4def11] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pochupitti: when apport pops up, it has the option of "do not pop up again for this application" (or something like this), hasn't it?07:00
pittipochu: right07:00
=== RadiantFire [n=ryan@ip68-230-209-186.rd.hr.cox.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pochupitti: so my reporter can't see apport anymore, if he pressed that07:00
dokoMithrandir: please requeue efibootmgr on i386, amd64, ia6407:01
pittipochu: right, that's what it says07:01
pochupitti: but I need another report, with the coredump, or with a full backtrace07:01
pittipochu: ah, I see07:01
pittipochu: touch /var/crash/* should do the trick07:01
pittipochu: to recover the previous crash dump07:02
pittipochu: alternatively, if it's longer than 7 days ago and the report has been deleted by cron.daily, he can purge the blacklist with rm ~/.apport-ignore.xml07:02
pittior reinstall the affected package (untested)07:03
=== somerville32 [n=chatzill@ubuntu/member/somerville32] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pochupitti: ok, gonna try07:03
pochuty :)07:03
=== somerville32_ [n=somervil@fctnnbsc15w-156034088040.nb.aliant.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== theCore [n=alex@ubuntu/member/theCore] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sacater [n=sacater@host86-140-36-36.range86-140.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@34-62.dsl.iskon.hr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Starting logfile irclogs/ubuntu-devel.log
=== ubuntulog [i=ubuntulo@ubuntu/bot/ubuntulog] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Topic for #ubuntu-devel: Development of Ubuntu (not support, even with feisty; not application development on Ubuntu) | #ubuntu for support and general discussion | #ubuntu-motu for getting involved in development | http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DeveloperResources | See #ubuntu-bugs for http://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs | Herd 5 released
=== Topic (#ubuntu-devel): set by Mithrandir at Fri Mar 2 22:16:21 2007
(elmo/#ubuntu-devel) doko: sigh - what is this for?07:38
=== \sh is now known as \sh_away
asufaskjfaskjfhello, i have a centrino duo laptop and the volume that comes out of the speakers is too low, even with the system sound at maximum07:39
asufaskjfaskjfin herd-507:39
asufaskjfaskjfis this a bug?07:39
asufaskjfaskjfusing the headphones jack the sound is louder but there is a lot of static07:40
=== glatzor_ [n=sebi@p57AEDE95.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== theCore [n=alex@ubuntu/member/theCore] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== eXistenZ [n=existenz@unaffiliated/eXistenZ] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tkamppeter_ [n=till@bl8-117-87.dsl.telepac.pt] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Keybuk [n=scott@wing-commander.netsplit.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== shawarma [n=sh@atlas.linux2go.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hoora_ [i=ariel@gateway/tor/x-ca9e488ff680bd66] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== glatzor_unterweg [n=sebi@p57AEDE95.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== masuran [n=masuran@ip-83-134-137-108.dsl.scarlet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
masuranHello everyone. Can anyone tell me if the new Gnome Control Center will be in Feisty? Or will the Preferences and System menu still be there? 08:15
LaserJockmasuran: they are both there, but I belive Gnome has set Control Center to not be default08:15
=== angasule [n=angasule@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
masuranI saw in Herd 5 that the new control center is in the menu's but it's hidden. Any idea what Ubuntu will do? Default to the new control center? Which is better IMHO :)08:16
LaserJockI believe it will be as it whatever Gnome decides, which sounds like it'll be having the control center hidden by default08:17
masuranAny idea where I can lobby for the control center? Think it's a shame just following gnome's default. The preferences and system menu are very long and finding an item it them takes to long. 08:19
LaserJockwell, this channel really isn't the best place to lobby. I suppose the forums, ubuntu-deve-disccus or ubuntu-sounder mailing lists might be the place08:22
finalbetaThe control center is not standard because it has several bugs yet to be fixed. I'm pretty much quoting sebastian from a previous session. I would be reconsidered later. 08:22
pochuI think Control Center will be default in Feisty+1, but it isn't now because it has too much bugs08:22
pochufinalbeta: :)08:22
masuranThanks for the info guys :) 08:25
=== zyga [n=zyga@ubuntu/member/zyga] has joined #ubuntu-devel
eXistenZWhat is the bugs filing system for kubuntu?08:28
RiddelleXistenZ: launchpad.net08:28
eXistenZRiddell, Is it the same one for Ubuntu?08:28
Sp4rKyhi, does someone can explain me why casper only set $LANG variable and not $LANGUAGE ?08:29
eXistenZI cannot seem to find KDE packages among the supported packages.08:29
RiddelleXistenZ: use the kde module name08:29
eXistenZRiddell, KDE Module name?08:30
Mithrandirkeescook: sure, that should be fine.08:30
keescookMithrandir: great, thanks.08:30
RiddelleXistenZ: apt-cache showsrc <packagename> will show it08:30
Mithrandirdoko: given-back.08:31
eXistenZRiddell, What do I need from that information?08:31
RiddelleXistenZ: the package08:32
eXistenZRiddell, I'm talking about the bugs list for a specific KDE package.08:32
dokoMithrandir: both libscim-hangul and pciutils?08:33
Mithrandirdoko: you asked for efibootmgr and scim-hangul, not pciutils.08:33
Mithrandirbut I'll be happy to give back pciutils too08:33
dokoMithrandir: no, I needed to upload pciutils, then rebuild efibootmgr ... should stop for today ...08:34
eXistenZRiddell, Where can I search for bugs in Kubuntu KDE specific packages?08:34
Mithrandirapart from it being successfully built, that is.08:34
=== shackan_ [n=shackan@85-18-136-77.fastres.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
torkeleXistenZ: launchpad.net08:36
eXistenZtorkel, There is no: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/akregator/+bugs , for example.08:36
torkeleXistenZ: it is built from kdepim08:37
torkeleXistenZ: so check https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdepim/+bugs08:38
eXistenZtorkel, All KDE packages are in kdepim?08:38
=== shackan [n=shackan@85-18-14-13.fastres.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
torkeleXistenZ: no. You have to find out what source package the the binary package was built from and look for that in launchpad.net08:40
eXistenZtorkel, Okay, thanks a million!08:41
eXistenZtorkel, one source package can make more than one binary package?08:42
pochueXistenZ: sure08:43
LaserJockeXistenZ: if you go to launchpad.net/ubuntu/ you can use the package search08:46
eXistenZThank you so much guys08:48
=== GmanAFK is now known as Gman
=== theCore [n=alex@ubuntu/member/theCore] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Sp4rKywhy casper only set $LANG and not $LANGUAGE ?08:50
pochuheno: ^^08:51
pochuhey heno :)08:51
=== Monk-e [n=guido@c529dd229.cable.wanadoo.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jay` [n=jcamp@mailout1.vmware.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hagi [n=hagi@adsl-62-167-99-89.adslplus.ch] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamontgrumble.  ENOPITTI09:03
=== Arador [n=dcg@112.pool80-103-4.dynamic.orange.es] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Burgwork [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-devel
henopochu: what, the casper question? I don't know :)09:14
pochuheno: do you know how to include a python code in a webpage?09:16
henopochu: not in the same was as you would include php, if that's what you mean09:18
henoit doesn't work the same way09:18
pochuheno: yes09:18
keescooklamont: anything I can help with?09:20
henopochu: I don't think you can do it09:20
pochuheno: ok, ty anyway :)09:20
=== jdong [n=jdong@ubuntu/member/jdong] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jdong [n=jdong@ubuntu/member/jdong] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamontkeescook: translations backend processing questions.  --> not that pitti hat09:21
keescooklamont: heh, yup.  Okay, just wanted to be sure.  :)09:22
lamontkeescook: np.  I know when to retarget for you in response to missing pitti. :-)09:22
lamonttoday, you're safe.09:22
lamontand I'm told pitti probably isn't the best target either.  so I'll hit the right two folks once I see them online09:23
tepsipakkiwhat, we still have libxft?09:23
tepsipakkithe source-package09:24
=== theCore [n=alex@ubuntu/member/theCore] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== j00bar [n=j00bar@fsf/staff/j00bar] has joined #ubuntu-devel
j00barhowdy -- jdong referred me here to ask this question -- i've got a bunch of server breezy installs and i was wondering if there was to be a release of libc6 for breezy that includes tzdata that is post 2006p before breezy is EOL'ed?09:29
jdongfrom what I could tell, timezones in Breezy are not updated for the new DST. Is that correct?09:30
=== Keybuk [n=scott@wing-commander.netsplit.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== theCore [n=alex@ubuntu/member/theCore] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== _TomB [n=tomb@host217-44-151-84.range217-44.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== theCore [n=alex@ubuntu/member/theCore] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lbm [n=lbm@0x555373ab.adsl.cybercity.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== theCore [n=alex@ubuntu/member/theCore] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== snoogie [n=snoogie@gob75-5-82-230-88-29.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== RadiantFire [n=ryan@ip68-230-209-186.rd.hr.cox.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
\shdoes anyone have problems creating a pbuilder or debootstrap chroot? (on feisty)09:52
zulnope just did one but I havent updated in a while09:53
=== philwyett [n=philwyet@bb-87-81-146-45.ukonline.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
\shzul, hmmm..I get the message, that W: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/feisty/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz wa09:54
\shs corrupt09:54
\shbut I wonder if it's my umts provider or is it just me or debootstrap or a.u.c. apt-get update works 09:54
lemsx1\sh: i got the same message today09:54
zulit went hunky dory for me09:54
lemsx1\sh: eventually it worked... but i'm using the us.a.u.c mirror ...09:55
\shhmm...lemme check with another mirror09:55
=== phanatic [n=phanatic@ubuntu/member/phanatic] has joined #ubuntu-devel
\shelmo / Znarl : archive.ubuntu.com looks like broken...de.archive.ubuntu.com works createing debootstrap09:57
=== theCore [n=alex@ubuntu/member/theCore] has joined #ubuntu-devel
\shbah wrong channel ;)09:57
elmo\sh: since de.archive.u.c is a mirror of archive.u.c, that seems unlikely09:58
elmo\sh: but I'd need some real info, if you actually want me to look at it09:58
\shelmo, what do you need?09:58
elmo\sh: what's actually wrong?  'looks like broken' isn't helpful?09:59
=== neighborlee [n=gleej@unaffiliated/neighborlee] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Leaving"]
\shelmo, .I get the message, that W: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/feisty/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz was corrupt09:59
\sh(debootstrap message that is)09:59
elmoit's not corrupt09:59
elmodownload the file with wget and tell me what your md5sum is?10:00
\shelmo, kk one moment10:00
\shshermann@LT420:~/test$ md5sum Packages.gz 10:00
\shb25942a121187286e874698ddad3a658  Packages.gz10:00
=== zch [n=manuel@85-125-158-109.dynamic.xdsl-line.inode.at] has joined #ubuntu-devel
\shfrom de.a.u.c it is:10:01
\shshermann@LT420:~/test/de$ md5sum Packages.gz 10:01
\sh8275515937ec97cf4330490ee25d0fb2  Packages.gz10:01
=== herz1 [n=herzi@p548FC1FA.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
\shelmo, different sizes, a.u.c.: 1312263 , de.a.u.c: 131114810:02
=== spitty [n=spitfire@c-66-30-200-170.hsd1.ma.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
\shelmo, thx btw for looking into it :)10:04
spittycould someone point me towards the .iso for feisty?10:05
\shspitty, cdimages.ubuntu.com10:06
\shmjg59, t43 with ati mobility radeon m22 (M300 card) does not work with 3d accel with latest 8.33.x and 8.34.x ati native drivers, and it does not work with the drivers in linux-restricted. the M300 card is not even in the list of supported cards anymore.. last driver which is working 8.28.x10:11
mjg59\sh: That's why I said r300, not fglrx10:11
\shmjg59, the radeon driver from xorg 7.2 don't have 3d accel, (radeon dri module loaded, and Module "GLcore" loaded as well)10:12
\shs/don't/doesn't/ 10:12
mjg59\sh: It should. If it doesn't, please file a bug.10:12
\shmjg59, k :) 10:12
=== sacater [n=sacater@host86-140-36-36.range86-140.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== bluefoxicy [n=bluefox@c-68-33-112-13.hsd1.md.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
\shmjg59, should I file a bug against linux-kernel, too, just because radeon dri is not loaded automagically, as it was on edgy10:14
mjg59Do you mean drm?10:14
tepsipakki\sh: you need to purge fglrx before you can get the acceleration10:15
\shmjg59, yepp10:15
mjg59\sh: Then no, X will request it10:15
\shtepsipakki, fglrx is long time gone from my system :) clean install this morning :)10:15
\shmjg59, so it's a bug in Xorg, when I have radeon driver in Xorg and no radeon drm loaded...10:16
=== WaterSevenUb [n=WaterSev@azevedo.astro.up.pt] has joined #ubuntu-devel
snoogieLaserJock you are here ?10:17
snoogieIs it possible to speak with you in private ? (in order to don't wrote unuseful stuff here) 10:18
LaserJocksnoogie: see my pm?10:22
snoogieyup sorry writting10:22
snoogieyou see ?10:23
LaserJocksnoogie: nope, is your nick registered?10:23
snoogieI forget to read that :)10:24
snoogiea clue ? 10:24
=== j00bar [n=j00bar@fsf/staff/j00bar] has left #ubuntu-devel []
snoogieok found 10:25
snoogiegive me a second10:25
=== zch [n=manuel@85-125-158-109.dynamic.xdsl-line.inode.at] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== rbrunhuber [n=rbrunhub@highway.mvi.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zch [n=manuel@85-125-158-109.dynamic.xdsl-line.inode.at] has joined #ubuntu-devel
\shmjg59, if you are interessted: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/89961 :)10:27
UbugtuMalone bug 89961 in xorg "Xorg 7.2 radeon driver doesn't support ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Radeon Mobility M300] " [Undecided,Unconfirmed]  10:27
=== apokryphos [n=apokryph@unaffiliated/apokryphos] has joined #ubuntu-devel
rbrunhuberI'd like to ask you as the developers if it does make sense to attach a debdiff between a debian package (does work) and an ubuntu package (does not work) to a bugreport.10:34
LaserJockseems logical10:35
rbrunhuberLaserJock: How can I make this most readable to the developers? The debdiff contains incredible amount of arch things ubuntu does not provide?10:36
LaserJockrbrunhuber: like what?10:39
rbrunhuberLaserJock: All those exceptions for other architectures not supported in ubuntu like arm10:40
=== concept10 [n=concept1@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
geserrbrunhuber: who has the more recent package? Debian or Ubuntu?10:41
rbrunhuberLaserJock: Funny enough they are both the same version10:41
LaserJockrbrunhuber: what package is this?10:42
rbrunhuberLaserJock: kdebluetooth10:42
rbrunhuberLaserJock: There must be a difference though. Because I installed kdebluetooth from debian and it overwrites a file that is also in bluez-utils. Which the ubuntu package does not.10:43
=== Monk-e is now known as e-Lephant
=== finalbeta [n=finalbet@d54C68D0D.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
rbrunhuberLaserJock: But for me (I'm not familiar to debdiff format) finding the difference is like searching the needle in a haystack.10:45
=== jay` [n=jcamp@mailout1.vmware.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cprov [n=cprov@monga.dorianet.com.br] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== e-Lephant is now known as Monk-e
concept10Does Launchpad track kernel bugs?  I see some listed but it also says Malone does not track Linux10:49
rbrunhubergeser: They are both the same version10:49
LaserJockconcept10: Launpad tracks kernel bugs in Ubuntu10:50
concept10LaserJock, would you happen to know the _specific_ package to report under?  This would be for 2.6.20-910:51
geserconcept10: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bugs10:52
concept10geser, thanks10:52
rbrunhuberLaserJock: Do you have more info for me on the debdiff issue?10:52
concept10I don't see how you guys track this.  Theres way too many categories10:52
LaserJockthat debdiff is huge10:53
LaserJockconcept10: categories?10:53
rbrunhuberLaserJock: Oh did you create one yourself for this?10:53
LaserJockit's like a whole different package10:54
rbrunhuberLaserJock: I wondered too. I thought Ubuntu does not repackage, only rebuild things?10:55
LaserJockrbrunhuber: no, that's not true10:55
geserrbrunhuber: Ubuntu adds patches to packages if needed10:55
LaserJockrbrunhuber: anything with an ubuntu in the version 0.99+1.0beta2-1ubuntu4 for instance has been changed by Ubuntu10:55
rbrunhuberLaserJock: Sorry, if i was mistaken here10:56
LaserJockrbrunhuber: you might ask #kubuntu-devel, especially Riddell or Tonio10:56
rbrunhuberLaserJock: I'll try thank you for your help10:56
jdongMithrandir / cjwatson: when's the next time backports will get processed? I have the feeling that unless I'm not persistent in nagging you, it would be sometime off in my next afterlife.10:57
mjg59\sh: Turn off xinerama10:58
\shmjg59, I did this morning..no change10:58
mjg59\sh: Log with xinerama turned off?10:59
Mithrandirjdong: I was looking at some of them today, but had too much other stuff to do.10:59
\shI can change it to "non xinerama" no problem give me a min or two10:59
Mithrandirjdong: it would help if you and your team identified whether something should be done as an UVF or a backport a bit more aggressively.11:00
jdongMithrandir: any UVF-like backports I approve is because after talking in -motu it does not appear like anyone will do a SRU.11:00
jdong(or a SRU is not feasible)11:00
jdongthis system of everything preempting backports is simply not working out for me... I understand you guys are very very busy, but there has to be a more efficient solution.11:01
\shmjg59, rebooting :)11:01
tepsipakkiMithrandir: are you maintaining casper?11:02
Mithrandirjdong: whether somebody wants to do an SRU or not is not really something I take into consideration; I'm not going to let a backport through where an SRU is the right way to fix the problem.11:02
Mithrandirtepsipakki: I wrote a fair bit of the current version at least.11:03
Mithrandirjdong: however, do you have any suggestions on how to fix the problem?11:03
jdongMithrandir: ok, if that is your policy, that is fine with me, I will reject bugfix backports in the future citing that policy.11:03
tepsipakkiMithrandir: there seems to be something wrong with the livecd's and X. There are a number of bugs where it doesn't get a correct resolution or driver, but a dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (on an installed system) makes it right11:04
jdongMithrandir: as far as fixes, it would be nice if a backports team administrator can directly effect backports thru launchpad... but I bet that would not fly with TB as well now as it once did.11:04
Mithrandirjdong: as I've written in a few bug reports now, "backports are for shiny new features, SRUs are for bugfixes".  Examples such as dosemu-freedos are exceptions to that rule, though.11:04
jdongMithrandir: ok, that is fine, I will operate by that policy from now on.11:05
\shmjg59, hmmm....11:05
jdongand Mithrandir, you realize that it simply means people will start finding random "features" and dodging the requirement that way, right?11:05
Mithrandirjdong: thanks.  Maybe we should investigate some way you can pass off bugs you think should be fixed in an SRU so they don't just get lost?11:05
jdongMithrandir: that would be great too11:06
mjg59\sh: ?11:06
jdongMithrandir: I've followed up on some bugs in Dapper's timeframe I've deferred to Ubuntu, and most of the case nothing has happened.11:06
Mithrandirjdong: therefore "shiny".  I'd like people to follow policies not because "policy says so", but because the policy makes sense.  It should be (relativetly) easy to do the right thing.11:06
jdongMithrandir: it makes me feel really bad because I know when I say defer to SRU, the fix will never happen.11:07
\shmjg59, now it works half the way...I can scale (window picker) but the emerald theme manager doesn't show me any themes...this morning I couldn't get it running even without xinerama11:07
Mithrandirjdong: hm, so we need to fix that somehow.11:07
mjg59\sh: Beryl bugs go to beryl people right now11:07
\shmjg59, yeah11:07
mjg59REJECTED, NOTABUG :)11:07
jdong\sh: you have ARGBGLXVISUALS?11:07
Mithrandirtepsipakki: might be that it breaks when run under usplash?  Can you ask a couple of the people to see if it works if they remove "splash" from the command line?11:07
tepsipakkiMithrandir: I might11:08
ajmitchMithrandir: I think that's more a case of finding people willing to do the SRU & spend the time on it11:08
\shjdong, nope I have xgl/aixgl noob mode 11:08
jdong\sh: add to screen section of xorg.conf:11:08
Mithrandirajmitch: and making at least the universe SRU process simple enough that fixes don't get bogged down.11:08
jdongOption         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"11:08
jdongOption         "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True" 11:08
jdong\sh: ^^11:08
=== rmjb [n=richard@cuscon23480.tstt.net.tt] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mithrandirtepsipakki: if you could, that'd be great.11:08
jdong\sh: that should resolve most of your emerald glitching11:09
tepsipakkiMithrandir: but on bug #31830 someone said that casper-bottom/20xconfig "calls dpkg-reconfigure in a chroot but it only mounts /proc and /sys"11:09
UbugtuMalone bug 31830 in casper "Incorrect screen resolution in Dapper LiveCD" [Medium,Confirmed]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/3183011:09
ajmitchMithrandir: it seems that we get a lot of stuff stuck in -proposed, needing testing11:09
jdong\sh: btw, beryl 0.1.99* has been quite glitchy for everyone; is compiz behaving any better for you?11:09
tepsipakkiMithrandir: and ddcprobe seems to need /dev/mem11:09
Mithrandirtepsipakki: I could make it bind-mount /dev as well, sure.11:10
tepsipakkiI'll try with herd5 myself, since that's something I've not done in a loong time11:10
\shjdong, this option "true or false"?11:10
=== tkamppeter_ [n=till@bl10-8-85.dsl.telepac.pt] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mithrandirajmitch: since universe shouldn't contain stuff which is critical to your computer functioning, maybe we should make the policy what it was before the X breakage and not use -proposed.11:10
Mithrandir(for universe)11:10
jdong\sh: yeah, both are True11:11
\shok moment11:11
Mithrandirajmitch: I'm not saying this is the right solution, but maybe that's an option we need to evaluate.  I'm a strong believer of "make doing the right thing the easiest" as a way of guiding people.11:12
jdongMithrandir: one example is bug 42269... a trivial fix has been available and in "testing mode" for 20 days short of a year.11:12
UbugtuMalone bug 42269 in azureus "[SRU]  Does not create a tray icon" [Undecided,Fix committed]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/4226911:12
ajmitchI'd really like to see these fixes get into universe rather that sitting & rotting11:13
jdongMithrandir: this is kind of typical behavior for Universe SRU's....11:13
jdongheck it's lucky enough it got an edgy-propose upload 10 months later.11:13
jdongusually that stage never happens11:13
Mithrandirjdong: indeed, and I think we should fix the problem there rather than work around it "because -backports are easier to do".  Make it just as easy to fixes in -updates instead.11:13
jdongMithrandir: yeah, agreed, making the -updates procedure easier on developers would be the ideal solution.11:14
jdongMithrandir: in the words of one developer, "I'd rather fix a Feisty bug than spend 2 months on a SRU"....11:14
jdongMithrandir: that kind of attitude towards fixing released bugs is... concerning... to hear11:15
Mithrandirjdong: agreed.11:15
Mithrandirjdong: I'm trying to think which bit of our council/board machinery would be appropriate to discuss this problem.  Maybe just revive the discussion about how universe SRUs should be handled, on -devel.11:16
LaserJockjdong: I think everybody is agreed on that11:16
LaserJockMithrandir: we are adding it to the agenda of the MOTU Meeting this week11:16
=== lmanul [n=manu@dan75-4-82-239-58-38.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
jdongLaserJock: I'd just like to see something move forward regarding this :)11:16
=== concept10 [n=concept1@] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Ex-Chat"]
Mithrandirthat's in about 21 hours' time.  I believe it can wait until then?11:17
jdongI support rigorous QA to prevent update breakage mishaps, but the profound prohibitive effect it has had on getting updates out needs addressing :)11:17
LaserJockjdong: so would everybody else. I just feel like complaining without participating in the discussion/work is not so helpful11:17
jdongMithrandir: lol, yeah, it can wait that long :D11:17
jdongLaserJock: I don't mean just to complain about it....11:17
MithrandirLaserJock: the agenda for that meeting looks kinda empty?11:18
LaserJockMithrandir: that'll get fixed in a minute ;-)11:18
ajmitchMithrandir: oh, another f-spot bugfix release came out this morning, you want the information in a bug?11:18
MithrandirLaserJock: great.11:18
Mithrandirajmitch: yes, please.11:18
jdongMithrandir: do you think -archive can provide consistent/timely processing of Backports, or should that go on some agenda for a TB meeting too?11:20
jdongthe original TB meeting regarding Backports had us under the impression that Backports team administrators would have the authority to do backports....11:21
jdonginitially when -archive had <1.5wk turnaround time, it worked really well this way11:21
jdongbut as this time drags on, I more and more wish for the permission to directly effect backports11:21
MithrandirI'll discuss it with the rest of the archive team and see if we can do something to make it happen faster?11:23
jdongMithrandir: that sounds good11:23
jdongMithrandir: thanks so much for your time on this :)11:23
Mithrandirjdong: I'm hoping we can get this fixed to everybody's satisfaction.11:24
=== superted [n=ted@222.213-167-101.customer.lyse.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
superteddoes herd 5 include Kbabel ?11:26
mjg59superted: What do you mean by include?11:27
Luresuperted: it is in main repo, but not on desktop CD11:28
=== superted1 [n=ted@222.213-167-101.customer.lyse.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
LaserJockMithrandir: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Meetings if you have anything you'd like to change/add11:32
jdongI think it's "inKlude", too11:39
=== Gman [i=gman@nat/sun/x-47fc516bfb5b50a1] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== firephoto [n=tom@pool-71-115-214-25.spknwa.dsl-w.verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== phanatic [n=phanatic@ubuntu/member/phanatic] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tkamppeter_ [n=till@bl8-119-227.dsl.telepac.pt] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== delire [n=delire@lawn-128-61-118-174.lawn.gatech.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
delirewill the Composite extension be enabled by default in Feisty? i see that it breaks direct rendering with cards using the non-free fglrx driver.12:10
delireeg for a large proportion of recent laptops.12:10
pochudelire: no, it will be installed by default, though it won't be enabled by default12:12
delirecool, this is wise.12:13

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!