=== hoora_ [i=ariel@gateway/tor/x-b32e19c9868c4362] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== johnc4510 [n=johnc@ubuntu/member/johnc4510] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tritium [n=tritium@ubuntu/member/tritium] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== licio [n=licio@ubuntu/member/licio] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== doko_ [n=doko@dslb-088-073-115-190.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== anibal [n=anibal@debian/developer/anibal] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mc44 [n=mc44@unaffiliated/mc44] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Exit,]
=== PriceChild [n=pricechi@ubuntu/member/pricechild] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== cjwatson_ [n=cjwatson@82-69-40-219.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== jsgotangco [n=jsg123@ubuntu/member/jsgotangco] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== j_ack [n=j_ack@p508D83DE.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== hoora_ [i=ariel@gateway/tor/x-84d29f83ddcf3bb9] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== PriceChild [n=pricechi@ubuntu/member/pricechild] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== merriam_ [n=merriam@84-12-20-189.dyn.gotadsl.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== siretart [i=siretart@ubuntu/member/siretart] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== jsgotangco [n=jsg123@ubuntu/member/jsgotangco] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== BFTD [n=thomas@unaffiliated/bftd] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
BFTD@schedule los_angeles02:56
ubotuSchedule for America/Los_Angeles: 04 Jul 07:00: Kubuntu Developers | 04 Jul 13:00: Edubuntu | 05 Jul 13:00: Ubuntu Development Team | 10 Jul 08:00: Kernel Team | 11 Jul 05:00: Edubuntu | 12 Jul 08:00: Ubuntu Development Team02:56
=== DBO [n=DBO@unaffiliated/dbo] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== cynics [n=cynics@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== hoora_ [i=ariel@gateway/tor/x-a5574e0d46dab57e] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Lure [n=lure@89-212-19-55.dynamic.dsl.t-2.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Fujitsu [n=fujitsu@ubuntu/member/fujitsu] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== txwikinger [n=txwiking@sblug/member/txwikinger] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== DBO [n=DBO@unaffiliated/dbo] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== rraphink [i=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== n3t0 [n=n3t0@201-13-57-254.dsl.telesp.net.br] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== man-di_ [n=mkoch@dyndsl-080-228-194-004.ewe-ip-backbone.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== rraphink [i=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Raven [n=dvwyngaa@dsl-243-119-115.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Raven [n=dvwyngaa@dsl-243-119-115.telkomadsl.co.za] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Kopete]
=== thekorn [n=thekorn@a89-182-20-113.net-htp.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Hobbsee [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== atoponce [n=aaron@oalug/member/atoponce] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== BFTD [n=thomas@dialup-] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== jsgotangco [n=jsg123@ubuntu/member/jsgotangco] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
Lure@schedule ljubljana08:05
ubotuSchedule for Europe/Ljubljana: 04 Jul 16:00: Kubuntu Developers | 04 Jul 22:00: Edubuntu | 05 Jul 22:00: Ubuntu Development Team | 10 Jul 17:00: Kernel Team | 11 Jul 14:00: Edubuntu | 12 Jul 17:00: Ubuntu Development Team08:05
=== dholbach [n=daniel@i59F7240E.versanet.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Lure_ [n=lure@external-1.hermes.si] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== cynics [n=cynics@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== jsgotangco [n=jsg123@ubuntu/member/jsgotangco] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== beuno [n=martin@ubuntu/member/beuno] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== slomo [n=slomo@ubuntu/member/slomo] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== PriceChild [n=pricechi@ubuntu/member/pricechild] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== gnomefreak [n=gnomefre@ubuntu/member/gnomefreak] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mc44 [n=mc44@unaffiliated/mc44] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== GNUdog [n=GNUdog@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== simira [n=simira@aine.err.no] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== asac_ [n=asac@debian/developer/asac] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== asac_ [n=asac@debian/developer/asac] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== hoora_ [i=ariel@gateway/tor/x-2b569594105b40a0] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== pochu [n=emilio@127.Red-83-32-162.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== neversfelde|mobi [n=neversfe@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== slomo_ [n=slomo@ubuntu/member/slomo] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== neversfelde|mobi [n=neversfe@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== ian_brasil [n=vern@host81-151-191-227.range81-151.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Czessi [n=Czessi@dslb-088-073-028-215.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== PriceChild [n=pricechi@ubuntu/member/pricechild] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
ubotuCurrent time in Etc/UTC: July 04 2007, 11:55:15 - Next meeting: Kubuntu Developers in 2 hours 4 minutes01:55
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== hoora_ [i=ariel@gateway/tor/x-c36a2283c9004e9f] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Pricey [n=pricechi@ubuntu/member/pricechild] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== PriceChild [n=pricechi@ubuntu/member/pricechild] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== juliux [n=juliux@ubuntu/member/juliux] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== neversfelde|mobi [n=neversfe@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Hobbsee [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== cynics [n=cynics@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== hoora_ [i=ariel@gateway/tor/x-41dc496821340dff] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== _marseillais [n=marseill@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== yveslu [n=yves@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== arualavi [n=Iva@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mhb [n=mhb@ubuntu/member/mhb] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== pochu [n=emilio@139.Red-83-32-162.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== ogra [n=ogra@ubuntu/member/ogra] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== _StefanS_ [n=sfs@ubuntu/member/stefans/x-00001] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== _StefanS_ [n=sfs@ubuntu/member/stefans/x-00001] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Konversation]
=== dholbach [n=daniel@i59F7228F.versanet.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== thekorn [n=thekorn@a89-182-80-211.net-htp.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== _StefanS_ [n=sfs@ubuntu/member/stefans/x-00001] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== ..[topic/#ubuntu-meeting:ubotu] : Current meeting: Kubuntu Developers | Calendar: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/event | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/ | 04 Jul 20:00 UTC: Edubuntu | 05 Jul 20:00 UTC: Ubuntu Development Team | 10 Jul 15:00 UTC: Kernel Team | 11 Jul 12:00 UTC: Edubuntu | 12 Jul 15:00 UTC: Ubuntu Development Team
=== xerosis_ [n=kieran@cpc2-shep5-0-0-cust722.lei3.cable.ntl.com] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== avoine [n=avoine@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== dthacker [n=dthacker@ip68-107-233-209.om.om.cox.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Jucato [n=jucato@ubuntu/member/Jucato] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== etalli [n=etalli@c-68-43-124-79.hsd1.mi.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== hollandlucas [n=lucas@i577A37DE.versanet.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== abattoir [n=abattoir@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== pag [n=pavel@cs181123229.pp.htv.fi] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== waylandbill [n=waylandb@70-101-124-72.dsl1-field.roc.ny.frontiernet.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
Hobbsee***  Welcome to this month's Kubuntu Meeting ****04:00
RiddellI have no https access, if someone can paste the agenda that would be cool04:00
HobbseeHow should we handle programs that need to install codecs? Do we want to just install kubuntu-restricted-extras, or do we want to patch every application so that it installs the required codecs with a dialog from the user?04:01
HobbseeThe amarok version of this is quite buggy - it breaks if you've disabled multiverse for some reason, and seems to crash on some systems.04:01
HobbseeKDE debian/ dirs in Bzr- how do we want to handle this?04:01
=== jussi01 [n=jussi@dyn3-82-128-187-102.psoas.suomi.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
HobbseeNo one has seemed to have actioned the points Sho_ (konversation) raised in the last meeting - who wants to do this? [Above 4 by Hobbsee] 04:01
Hobbseeand tonio wants to discuss media patches04:01
=== mode/#ubuntu-meeting [+o Hobbsee] by ChanServ
=== Tonio_ [n=tonio@mst45-2-82-242-83-37.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== LongPointyStick [n=mystery@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mode/#ubuntu-meeting [-o Hobbsee] by ChanServ
=== sveri [n=sveri@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Hobbsee waits for her connection to decide to live
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== vandenoever [i=vandenoe@conference/kde/aKademy/x-28ede5912478f0d8] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== kniolet [n=kniolet@12-210-145-71.client.mchsi.com] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
Riddellcoming live from Akademy 2007 here in (genuinely) sunny Glasgow04:03
Hobbseegasp.  sunny?04:03
Riddellwho's here?04:03
=== Riddell jonathan Riddell
=== Tonio_ is Anthony Mercatante
=== Hobbsee green alien.
=== Lure is Luka Renko
=== maelcum [i=horst@conference/kde/aKademy/x-2720ce6883110604] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mhb is Martin Bohm
=== waylandbill is Billy Pollifrone
_StefanS__StefanS_ is Stefan Skotte04:04
=== xerosis is Kieran Hogg
dthackerdthacker is Dave Thacker04:04
=== allee is Achim Bohnet
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
HobbseeAny membership candidates?04:04
Hobbseedoesnt appear to be any listed on the wiki04:04
=== Jucato is Juan Carlos Torres
Riddellcouncil is me, Lure, Tonio_, Hobbsee, nixternal (if he's alive)04:05
Tonio_Hobbsee: o you're doing the meeting now ? cool :)04:05
RiddellHobbsee: what's our first item?04:05
=== jussi01 is Jussi Scultink
HobbseeNext meeting will probably be Wednesday 1 August, 2100 UTC or so.  Any objections?04:06
Lureand kwwii if around?04:06
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
jsgotangcoahh ah kubuntu council meeting nice04:06
Tonio_Hobbsee: okay for me04:06
=== jsgotangco watches
Hobbseehi spam04:06
Hobbseecool.  will email the list, etc, pending uni timetable04:06
Riddellfine with me04:06
Hobbseeonto the agenda of doom...04:06
HobbseeOkay, first point - if we've got kubuntu stuff that you want to see done for a particular tribe, please tell me, and i can milestone it, and poke you over it if you dont get it done.04:07
=== rodrigo_sampaio [n=rodrigo@c93401c8.virtua.com.br] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== mindspin [n=mindspin@unaffiliated/mindspin] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
Hobbseeditto for anything that you want to get thru a freeze04:07
=== Hobbsee has no DC access, but will be the RM for tribe 3.
Hobbsee(assuming the plans dont change)04:07
Riddellon a simliar note I'm an archive admin so you can try and poke me for new processing (if I havn't already touched the package)04:07
Riddelland moving to main/universe04:07
Hobbseethat too04:07
LureRiddell: great!04:08
Hobbsee*** How should we handle programs that need to install codecs? Do we want to just install kubuntu-restricted-extras, or do we want to patch every application so that it installs the required codecs with a dialog from the user?04:08
HobbseeWe now have a kubuntu-restricted-extras package, which contains the main codecs needed on a kubuntu system04:08
Riddellkubuntu-restricted-extras has java, lots of people don't want that for playing mp3s04:08
alleeabout codecs: do we have developer time to inplement decicated codec loading?  A volunteer04:08
Tonio_Riddell: then we should take care to get kio-umountwrapper to main :) the MIR is done, just reviewing is needed04:08
HobbseeRiddell: that's why they're as removes04:08
HobbseeRiddell: er, recommends04:08
Hobbseeunfortunately, i'ts currently broken.04:08
RiddellTonio_: that's will pitti/kees/iwj only04:08
HobbseeTonio_: OK, will poke.04:08
Tonio_Riddell: oki04:09
Tonio_Hobbsee: one thing I'd like to see fixed for the next tribe is adept04:09
mhballee: I'm afraid we don't04:09
Tonio_Hobbsee: the repo manager doesn't work anymore04:09
RiddellHobbsee: what else needs this added?  just kaffeine?04:09
alleemhb: so, makes not much sense to decide to patch every app ;)04:10
HobbseeRiddell: amarok, kaffeine, k3b, ...04:10
=== fernando [n=fernando@unaffiliated/musb] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
Tonio_Riddell: kmplayer too04:10
RiddellHobbsee: do we have a .desktop file in app-install-data for kubuntu-restricted-extras?04:10
Hobbseealso konqueror, for the java, etc.04:10
RiddellTonio_: won't be in main for long?04:10
Jucatobtw, I think there were some people having problems with the script in amarok to install the codecs after the release of feisty... not sure if anyone filed bugs for it04:10
alleecan't we switch to gstreamer?  AFAIU then we get codec loading almost for free?04:10
HobbseeRiddell: i doubt it.  if we dont for ubuntu-restricted-extras either04:10
LureTonio_: kmplayer is universe now?04:10
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
HobbseeJucato: that's next04:10
Tonio_Riddell: it'll stay in main, I guess forever, I'll explain why later if you want04:10
=== etalli [n=etalli@c-68-43-124-79.hsd1.mi.comcast.net] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
RiddellHobbsee: I thought there was one04:10
JucatoHobbsee: oops sorry..04:10
HobbseeRiddell: not sure, tbh.04:11
Tonio_Riddell: we cannot use kaffeine in konq by default, which saddens me soooooooooooo much04:11
HobbseeRiddell: will have to look04:11
HobbseeTonio_: why?04:11
HobbseeJucato: no problem04:11
=== rodrigo_sampaio [n=rodrigo@c93401c8.virtua.com.br] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
Tonio_Hobbsee, Riddell: because of the plugin identification04:11
RiddellTonio_: how not?04:11
Tonio_kaffeine ident itself as kaffeine media player plugin04:11
Tonio_Riddell: kmplayer is able to ident as the standard windows plugin used for this kind of source04:12
mhballee: I agree with you, I had some talks with kaffeine upstream, they might consider a feature like that, but for KDE4 kaffeine04:12
HobbseeTonio_: will come back to adept04:12
RiddellTonio_: interesting04:12
Tonio_Riddell: and a lot of website are doing plugin detection to display the video04:12
Tonio_Riddell: I tried to patch kaffeine to had this, but it didn't work, or only partially04:12
Tonio_Riddell: means the identification worked, but not any website could detect the "windows media player plugin" despite I could see it04:13
Tonio_Riddell: we need to discuss this with kaffeine upstream04:13
Tonio_and then replace kmplayer :)04:13
HobbseeThe main questoin here is, do we want to patch each app to use each particular required codec separately, or do we want to jus tgrab k-r-e once04:13
RiddellHobbsee: without developers willing to do this I don't see much we can do04:13
HobbseeRiddell: where this == ?04:13
Tonio_so beeing stable is not enought for default inclusion, as it'll fail on a lot of websites04:13
Tonio_who try to detect "windows media player plugin"04:13
=== j_ack [n=j_ack@p508D81A9.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
mhbgrabbing k-r-e would be logical if there were only codecs and not stuff like java04:14
Riddellmhb: is k-r-e install suitable for restricted-manager?04:14
waylandbillI had amarok crash (hang) loading mp3 codecs this morning. Wasn't able to reproduce so I didn't file a bug.04:14
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
Tonio_Hobbsee: remember the crappy "in the work" patch ? it was because of that problem :)04:14
HobbseeTonio_: in the work?04:14
HobbseeRiddell: well, it's a metapackage.  it's not a GUI04:14
mhbRiddell: restricted-manager is for drivers/firmware only04:14
Hobbseesomeone's coding a restricted-manager though.04:14
Tonio_the patch I shouldn't have upload because it caused a lot of issues ? :) you fixed that upload04:14
HobbseeTonio_: oh, that one.04:14
Tonio_yep, the patch was an attempt for the plugin identification, which worked 60%, but I couldn't find why the websites couldn't detect it04:15
alleeRiddell: didn't the ubuntu guys use a patched gstreamer for codec reinstall?  So when we switch to gstreamer too ..?04:15
Riddellallee: yes, absolutely04:15
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== am8110 [n=armin@dslb-084-058-051-107.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
mhberr, is switching to gstreamer something that has been discussed?04:16
=== karimfayez [n=karim@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
alleeTonio_: how's gstreamer working with the kde apps?04:16
Tonio_mhb: dozens :)04:16
Riddellmhb: no go for kde 3, kde 4 sure once phonon has the plugin04:16
Tonio_allee: kaffeine : not as good as xine, but works04:16
Riddellbut remember gstreamer doesn't do dvd menus and I don't know how good the w32codecs support is04:16
Tonio_allee: amarok : no gst support :'(04:16
Tonio_kmplayer : very nice support04:16
alleeokay so we have to wait for KDE404:17
Riddellallee: yes04:17
mhbRiddell: I wouldn't vote for gstreamer if it meant losing features04:17
Tonio_allee: yep, wait for phonon04:17
=== kwwii [n=kwwii@khepri.openbios.org] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
HobbseeRiddell: i guess i'm more interested in finding if there are any developers who are interested in doing this04:18
RiddellHobbsee: should we install all of k-r-e with amarok?04:18
alleeIn this light the only workable solutions would be to down load k-r-e04:18
HobbseeRiddell: when the recommends are working, sure.04:18
Hobbseeat the moment, it's an empty package :)04:18
mhbHobbsee: if we want to download k-r-e, I'd try to make the package as small as possible04:18
=== Hobbsee shoudl test out this apt about it
mhbHobbsee: how big it is, with java and all?04:18
Hobbseemhb: that's why i only left the core codecs in04:18
Hobbseenot sure04:18
Hobbseesarah@LongPointyStick:~$ apt-cache show kubuntu-restricted-extras | grep Recommends04:19
HobbseeRecommends: flashplugin-nonfree, sun-java6-plugin, libxine1-ffmpeg, libdvdread3, libk3b2-mp3, liblame0, unrar04:19
mhbHobbsee: is the java still in there?04:19
Hobbseei dont know, size-wise04:19
Riddellwe need to move on04:19
HobbseeRiddell: true, but the next issue depends on this04:19
RiddellI don't think anyone has expertese/time to work on this, it involves playing with upstream in difficult ways04:19
mhbI'm against installing java without the user requesting it04:20
=== Hobbsee nods
=== dthacker agrees from the sidelines
alleejave -> suggests :)04:20
mhbHobbsee: can't we do a kubuntu-restricted-codecs metapackage or something?04:20
Hobbseemhb: that's what it is04:20
mhbHobbsee: java isn't a codec :o)04:21
RiddellI'd say we get a .desktop file in app-install-data04:21
Riddellthat way it's easy for all to install04:21
HobbseeRiddell: sounds sane.  which requires me finding out how to write one.  but OK04:21
Tonio_Riddell: ++04:21
Hobbseein that case, what do we want to do about the amarok install mp3 script?04:22
Hobbseeit's in bash, and seems to fail for a fair few people04:22
mhbRiddell:  that means = don't patch anything?04:22
RiddellHobbsee: just add and install somewhere and it should get picked up on upload04:22
RiddellHobbsee: keep it04:22
Riddellmhb: not unless people are willing to do it04:22
Hobbseeit doesnt account for if a user has disabled multiverse, and seems generally not-robust04:22
LureHobbsee: multiverse/universe is enabled by default since feisty, right?04:23
RiddellLure: yes04:23
HobbseeLure: it is, but some users will disable it04:23
HobbseeLure: what disturbs me more is how it just seems to hang amarok, etc.04:23
Hobbseethere's a tribe 3 bug on it, unless Riddell removed the tribe 3 milestone completely while i wasnt there04:23
Tonio_Hobbsee: I'd say it differently04:23
Riddellnot I04:23
HobbseeTonio_: how so?04:24
Tonio_Riddell, Hobbsee: who will disable multiverse ?04:24
RiddellFreedom Lovers!04:24
Hobbseeusers.  some.  for some unknown reason04:24
Hobbseeand the freedom lovers04:24
Riddell(and people who want support)04:24
Tonio_Riddell: aka geeks04:24
Hobbseehttps://launchpad.net/~ubuntumembers/+members is the relevant bug04:24
Tonio_Riddell: and a geek doesn't use amarok's script to install it's codecs :)04:24
Tonio_Riddell: nore has mp3 files on his computer04:24
Hobbseemy point is that this should not randomly fail, and it should not up and die fi they have mutliverse disabled04:24
Tonio_Riddell: and btw doesn't use app-install/adept04:25
HobbseeTonio_: sure they do - it comes up automatically if they try to play a mp3 for some reason.  if they downloaded one04:25
Tonio_Hobbsee: okay04:25
Tonio_Hobbsee: you are a freedom lover04:25
=== Hobbsee shrugs
Tonio_Hobbsee: you hate proprietary formats, so you disable multiverse04:25
Hobbseei prefer my system to work, tyvm.04:25
Tonio_Hobbsee: would you play an mp3 file then ?04:25
kwwiifor normal users, when you click the button it should "just work"04:25
Jucatohm... is this about the mp3 script in amarok?04:25
Tonio_probably not, and if it doesn't work, consider it is your fault04:26
alleeHobbsee: wouldn't if ! apt-cache policy <pkgs> then; exit; fi # fix it?04:26
HobbseeTonio_: if i'd not realised that it was a mp3, or something, probably04:26
dthackerJucato: yes04:26
Lureallee: exactly04:26
HobbseeJucato: yes04:26
Tonio_Hobbsee: then you are a geek, you changed settings, that's your problem :)04:26
HobbseeTonio_: granted, but the scritp should not be that flimsy that it dies.04:26
Jucatoiirc, libxine-extracodecs just points to libxine1-ffmpeg in main since feisty right? why does it need multiverse to be enabled?04:26
Tonio_Hobbsee: agree on that point04:26
Tonio_Jucato: it doesn't04:27
Hobbseeit seems it particularly dies when you say "no"04:27
Tonio_Hobbsee: which is a problem04:27
HobbseeJucato: oh, point04:27
HobbseeTonio_: exactly04:27
LureJucato: correct - we can have amarok mp3 by defaul04:27
Tonio_Lure: no we can't04:28
Jucatoer it's in universe lol sorry04:28
RiddellHobbsee: why is this milestoned for tribe 3?  it can wait until feature freeze and we're in bug mode no?04:28
=== Jucato could have sworn it was in main :P
Tonio_Lure: I already discussed with -devel guys on that point04:28
HobbseeRiddell: sure it can, but it's to remind me, and preferably get it fixed sooner than that, so people test.04:28
RiddellHobbsee: I'm happy to fix it but not until after feature freeze04:28
=== eagles0513875 [n=jonathan@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
Tonio_Lure: it is in main for technical reasons, but we can't ship it by default becauseof licencing issues04:28
=== claydoh [n=claydoh@66-252-49-185.dyn-adsl.midmaine.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
Tonio_Lure: in fact that shouldn't be in main :)04:28
HobbseeRiddell: OK, will assign it to you04:29
HobbseeRiddell: excellent, thankyou :)04:29
Riddellnext item?04:29
Hobbsee*** No one has seemed to have actioned the points Sho_ (konversation) raised in the last meeting - who wants to do this?04:29
Hobbseeat least, the k-d-s settings havent been changed04:30
Riddelloh, ellen gave a non commital answer but seemed to say that listview at the side was better than tabs04:30
Riddellas did johnflux another occational konversation developer04:30
Riddellimbrandon did say he did the other changes04:30
Hobbseei seem to remember we agreed to the other points though, which still seem to be in there?04:30
Tonio_Riddell: talking about that, I don't want to switch back to the default theme04:30
Riddellbut imbrandon seems to not be 100% reliable currently04:30
Tonio_Riddell: we probably want a "human readeable theme" by default, which the default konversation isn't04:31
HobbseeRiddell: hwo does imbrandon fit into this, sorry?04:31
=== Jucato agrees with Tonio_
Tonio_Riddell: I wouldn't be inclined to change this04:31
RiddellHobbsee: he told me once he had made the required changes and was going to upload04:31
Riddellages ago this was04:31
Hobbseeah right04:31
Jucatobut the other suggestion was that we could probably help in making a better nicklist theme04:31
Hobbseeit seems that he hasnt, so someone else needs to04:31
Tonio_Jucato: if we can find any better, okay, but not the default konversation is shipped wuth04:32
HobbseeJucato: true.  i suspect kwwii's far too busy for it04:32
Tonio_rahhhhhhhh !! with04:32
Tonio_Hobbsee: can you remind me what is the problem with the current one ?04:32
JucatoTonio_: yeah. I don't like it either and have continually "discussed" that topic with Sho_ :)04:32
JucatoTonio_: iirc it was the quality of that theme04:32
Tonio_Jucato: it is simple, nice looking and icons are explicit to what they mean04:32
Tonio_what is the problem with it ? seriously ?04:33
HobbseeTonio_: i dont have the direct link for sho_'s complaints about it04:33
=== Jucato checks logs
Tonio_Hobbsee: in my opinion, there is the upstream work and the distro work04:33
=== Hobbsee has lost all logs since then
HobbseeTonio_: this is true.  but upstream says "we want you to use this.  only".  as for why they havent removed the others then, i have no idea...04:33
Tonio_it is not the first time guy from konversation are complaining about the fact we're changing the defualt settings, and that honnestly drives me nuts04:33
Tonio_Hobbsee: they make things configurable, we configure them04:34
Tonio_Hobbsee: we respect the gpl, that's it04:34
HobbseeTonio_: feel free to take it up with Sho_.04:34
Tonio_Hobbsee: if they don't want us to 'implement' it as we want, they can do proprietary software04:34
HobbseeTonio_: no point doing it now, as Sho_ isnt here.  he's on #konversation now though04:34
Jucatoto be fair, upstream's concern is that problems in Konversation introduced in Kubuntu usually gets thrown back at them04:34
Tonio_Hobbsee: especially as we're not changing it a lot04:34
Tonio_Hobbsee: can you imaging how much more are we twinking konqueror for example ?04:35
HobbseeJucato: true that.  which is why i'ts improtant to actually check k-d-s changes, which is still on my todo list04:35
imbrandonhonestly sho isnt on the kubuntu team and we follow the gpl04:35
=== imbrandon idles again
Tonio_Jucato: that's a problem with ALL free softwares04:35
JucatoTonio_: "* Kubuntu has selected a different default nicklist theme  from the set of themes we ship with Konversation. While  we continue to ship that theme for legacy reasons, we be-  lieve it is graphically poorly done and would prefer it  if Kubuntu switched back to our default. Alternatively,  we'd certainly look forward to artwork contributions  from Kubuntu's artwork community if it has other things  in mind. In particular, the issues04:35
Jucatowith the chosen theme  are that the colour palette doesn't fit into either KDE  or Kubuntu defaults, and that the serif typography looks  outdated. - form Sho_04:35
Tonio_Jucato: so what should we do ? stopping implementations ?04:35
HobbseeTonio_: true that.  i'm still not exactly convinced that's a good idea.04:35
Tonio_okay let's stop kubuntu then, no need of a distro04:35
JucatoTonio_: I don't necessarily agree with some of the suggestions (like the nicklist theme). but after all, they are just suggestions :)04:36
alleeTonio_: I don't remember details.  But Sho_ may have a point.  We listen, then agree or not.04:36
imbrandonJucato, thats our problems not thiers, they want to be involved in kubuntu then invite them to take the time to contrib, instead of bitching from afar ( upstream )04:36
=== imbrandon stops
Tonio_allee: I'm not against sho expecially, he may be right this time, but as imbrandon and I already had problems in the past....04:36
HobbseeJucato: did you have that website link?04:36
Tonio_I remember imbrandon getting mad on the channel because of this04:36
JucatoHobbsee: http://konversation.kde.org/kubuntu-issues.txt04:37
HobbseeJucato: thanks04:37
Jucato(it was in the minutes)04:37
Tonio_the sysray one.......... argh !04:37
Jucatoheh :)04:37
Hobbseeyay, be rid of the systray!04:37
=== Hobbsee thought that was decided last meeting
Tonio_Hobbsee: NO04:37
Hobbseesay it with me Riddell, "system tray icons are EVIL!!!"04:37
Riddelloh yes04:38
Tonio_Hobbsee: konversation is exactly the kind of application for which systray is usefull04:38
Tonio_Hobbsee: you open it in the morning and then wait, as you do with kopete04:38
LureTonio_: fully afree04:38
HobbseeRiddell: we could just outvote him... *g*04:38
Lureagree even04:38
Tonio_Hobbsee: all chat/email clients usually have systray enable by default, because you don't run them for 10 minutes only04:38
Tonio_it is the kind of apps that runs everytime in the background04:38
imbrandonhonestly i'm of the opinion that if we just package vanalla upstream packages there is no reason for kubuntu then, anyhow i am at work and cant constructively contribute to the convo right now04:39
kwwiiTonio_: geeks just start a thousand programs and leave them all running04:39
=== claydoh likes the systray
alleeTonio_: minimizing it would serve the same purpose04:39
=== _marseillais agree with Tonio_ for systray
Tonio_allee: no, certainly not04:39
Tonio_allee: cause it'll be merged with the all programs you are running04:39
Tonio_allee: systray isolates background based apps, like kopete, knetworkmanager etc......04:40
Tonio_allee: ALL chat based apps run in the systray04:40
Tonio_allee: o reason to change that04:40
Tonio_allee: and btw everyone is free to change the default settings, it is just a matter of default04:40
alleeTonio_: to be honest: I agree with you04:40
Tonio_we're not removing the functionnality right ?04:40
Jucatowhy don't we justify having a systray icon based on its (intended) purpose instead of just saying that all other chat apps do it? for example, it serves as notification (which is the original intention of the system tray anyway)04:40
=== allee hopes systray icons stays
Tonio_I'll tell you something, I don't use it in the systray, but I'm really convicinced, that's the way the average people are waiting to use it04:41
Tonio_and I can argue on every point in the list....04:41
kwwiiif we get rid of that one we should also get rid of the kontact, basket, and korganizer ones as well04:41
=== Jucato would love to have a unified kontact systray icon instead :)
LureTonio_: do you knwo about c++ patch for server setting - this is the only one I agree it may be too much from upstream04:42
Tonio_but well let's not waste time on this, I propose that we discuss together about what to do on -devel channel, let's apply the wanted changes, and write a nice response to the konversation team04:42
=== yveslu [n=yves@] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Kopete]
Tonio_Lure: which one ? to switch to irc.ubuntu.com by default ?04:42
HobbseeTonio_: mailing list is even better04:42
Tonio_Hobbsee: sure04:42
HobbseeTonio_: we do it in konversationrc and in the c++ patch04:42
alleeTonio_: how about copying the text file to the wiki and adding your points.  I'll do so too.   Just collecting pro/cons.  NOOOO flaming.  Then we can decide in next mmeetingn04:42
LureTonio_: yes, why patch?04:42
Tonio_Hobbsee: what about people that use konversation on gnome ? :)04:43
Tonio_that's why we are doing the fix twice04:43
HobbseeTonio_: then they really want to join #ubuntu04:43
LureTonio_: we should not care about them04:43
Hobbseeor are just confused individuals04:43
Tonio_Lure: I can remove that patch04:43
=== seele [i=seele@nayuki.caffeine.nu] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
Lurehi seele04:43
Tonio_Lure: to be honnest I was asked to patch, of course my first action has been to do that in kds04:43
Hobbseein which case we want to send them to #white-padded-room *g*04:43
Tonio_can't we discuss this later ? it'll take hours to debate everything ;)04:44
Riddelllet's move on, we can do the non-controvertial changes and debate the others at leisure04:44
RiddellHobbsee: seele is here for membership04:44
Hobbseeway cool.  welcome seele!04:44
RiddellI'll do the changes to konversation if nobody else has by the time akademy is over04:44
Tonio_Riddell: I can do it04:44
Riddellseele: able to give yourself a couple line introduction?04:44
HobbseeTonio_: we should probably figure out Bzr stuff elsewhere, and provide a solution to the rest of the people.  as long as they actually read the mailing list, and obey it.04:45
Tonio_Riddell: but I'd like that we debate once and for all on what to change/remove04:45
RiddellTonio_: ta04:45
Hobbseebut seele's membership... :)04:45
=== Hobbsee hands the mic to seele
Tonio_Riddell, Hobbsee: added to my todo04:45
=== seele takes the mic
HobbseeTonio_: great, OK04:45
seelewhat do i say?04:45
Riddellseele: what you've done in the ubuntu world04:45
seelewell most of my work has been in the capacity of kde04:45
seelei participated in UDS last fall and helped address some usability/interface stuff04:46
seelei also started working on a GUI with mhb for GRUB (which hasnt been released for technical reasons)04:46
seelealso, this past spring i conducted user testing on the kubuntu version of ubiquity04:46
seeleand just recently provided the results to the community04:46
seelei think working with kubuntu is a great way for me to work with other open source projects and maximize the time i can spend on kde :)04:47
Riddellevand will pick that up, probably after freature freeze04:47
seeleplus kubuntu is just the bestest distro ever, so why not?04:47
=== allee add another :)
Riddellany questions for seele?04:47
dthackeryes, it is!04:48
RiddellI know her well enough from conferences04:48
=== Hobbsee attempts to think of one that she can ask
LureI would like to point out that ubiquity usability report is really great04:48
Hobbseeseele: will you be in boston+1?04:48
Jucatoare non-council members allowed to ask? :)04:48
=== imbrandon cheerleads for seele ( nto that she needs it ) just cuz she is super cool at the confrences and blogs and seen tons of cool stuff from her
LureI really hope some improvements will be done for gutsy04:48
RiddellJucato: of course04:48
seeleHobbsee: i didnt know about boston+1 but probably since its in my time zone ;)04:48
Hobbseeseele: boston+1 is in an unknown location, isnt it?  :P04:49
=== allee knows here from blogs
seeleoh right04:49
RiddellHobbsee: in or around MIT uni mid-november I think04:49
HobbseeRiddell: boston*+1*04:49
Hobbseeas in, the one after boston.04:49
Jucatoseele: are you considering making a general usability review of Kubuntu? :)04:49
Riddelloh, no idea04:49
=== Hobbsee wow. people dont read today :P
kwwiiactually, it is in the first week of november04:49
HobbseeJucato: yes04:49
seeleJucato: well.. it depends on what you means of "Kubuntu" because most of it is KDE04:49
RiddellJucato: that would need to be a KDE job (and since seele has been doing KDE 4 HIG...)04:50
seeleJucato: i generally have a rule that if i dont think my work will be considered (let alone implemented) ill use my time on something else04:50
seeleall of KDE is a lot of work04:50
Jucatoseele: well, specifically the Kubuntu-specific ones/changes (like Konqueror? :)04:50
seelethats what ive been trying to do for the past three years with them, hehe04:50
seeleJucato: sure, if someone asks for it04:50
Riddellkonqueror in KDE 4 is a lot like in kubuntu now04:50
=== Tonio_ nods !!!
Riddellso, let's vote on seele04:51
Tonio_seele: +1 for me04:51
Hobbsee+1 for me, no questoin04:51
Jucato(+3 from me, if I had voting powers)04:51
imbrandon+25 from me ( but i dont count on this vote hehe )04:51
Lure+1 from me based on great work until now04:51
Riddellkwwii, nixternal, allee?04:51
kwwii+1 from me04:52
jsgotangco+1 for a super CC vote (if that counts)04:52
=== jsgotangco hides
Riddellwell, that's enough, congratulations seele on Kubuntu (and also Ubuntu) membership04:52
=== allee +1 of course
Tonio_seele: congrats :)04:52
imbrandon( seele now i can legitly add your blog to the planet , lol )04:52
Jucatocongrats seele! :)04:52
Riddellimbrandon: please do04:52
imbrandoncongrats :)04:52
seelesoo.. now what? do i need to so anything?04:52
kwwiiconrgratulation, now get to work!04:52
seelekwwii: lol04:52
Riddellno, someone will add you to the kubuntu-members team04:52
cynicsseele: congrats04:53
RiddellHobbsee: next item?04:53
seelecynics: thanks04:53
imbrandonand your lp-id@kubuntu.org email should start working soon after04:53
asacseele: congrats ... though i am not really involved in kubuntu ;)04:53
Hobbseeseriously...someone's just requested a sync for apt and adept.  *shakes head*04:53
seeleasac: thanks04:53
Hobbseecolin just killed them over it04:53
=== Hobbsee hands the mic to Tonio_
RiddellHobbsee: adept does need merged04:53
HobbseeTonio_: the multimedia packages?04:53
HobbseeRiddell: true that.04:53
=== neversfelde|mobi [n=neversfe@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
Tonio_okay, what should we do with the /media vs media:/ patch ?04:53
seeleok.. sorry to run, but i have to get on the road to my parents (US holiday today)04:53
seelethanks everyone, talk to you soon!04:54
Hobbseehave fun, seele!04:54
=== seele [i=seele@nayuki.caffeine.nu] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
Tonio_there are still LOTS of issues against those patch, most of them probably won't be fixed04:54
jsgotangcohappy independence day04:54
Tonio_simple example : on my laptop, without any usb key and cd in :04:54
Tonio_on the left : /media -> ugly and confusing, missing things (hard drives)04:54
Tonio_on the right : media:/ complete, showing what's needed, and "human readable"04:55
Tonio_also, there are lots of issues arrount the desktop icons I could describe04:55
Tonio_those patches have always create more issues than they resolve04:55
Tonio_and btw, all  documentation you might find on the web about kde and media things don't work for kubuntu, witch is also a problem04:56
Tonio_I wold propose to get rid of that patch, as most of those issues aren't fixable, confirmed by Sime04:56
imbrandonor will be fixed with dolphin in 404:56
imbrandonnot that that helps now04:57
Tonio_about the screenshot, don't forget there is no cd of usb key on my laptop, which is a non sense04:57
Riddellsimon isn't around the akademy labs just now04:58
RiddellI can talk to him about this when he gets back04:58
Riddellbut I'm ok with removing them if that makes things better04:58
Tonio_Riddell: sure, but as I said, I already discussed wit him on that point and there is no way to fix /media04:58
Riddellit's more a polite thing to discuss before removing his hard work :)04:58
Tonio_the only fixable part is the desktop icons, but even on that point there are strange issues, as for example the icon sometimes disapears to switch back to folder one, which makes the device unmountable04:59
Tonio_Riddell: of course04:59
Riddellnext item?04:59
Tonio_Riddell: his work is a matter of 3 patches, my proposal is to remove one of them only :)04:59
Tonio_Riddell: the other part of the simplicitation he has done is nice04:59
RiddellTonio_: I'm sure he'll be back soon, you, me and him can discuss in a bit05:00
RiddellHobbsee: what's next?05:00
=== wsjunior [n=wsjunior@unaffiliated/wsjunior] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
HobbseeRiddell: discussions on packages in bzr, but i havent spoken to Tonio_ about this first, so am happy to leave it.05:00
Hobbseeanyone got anything else to bring up?05:00
RiddellUDS, who wants to come?05:00
imbrandonboston ?05:01
HobbseeRiddell: boston?  not me, i'm afraid, although i suspect i'll be needing to anyway05:01
eagles0513875i got something i would like to say once u guys r finished05:01
imbrandoni had planned on it as the next release cycle i will have MUCH MUCH more time05:01
Tonio_Riddell: I'd like to especially since talking about an LTS release, but there is no chance for me I guess :'(05:01
HobbseeRiddell: boston+1, i want to come.05:01
Riddellwe're biased towards those in the americas I believe05:01
imbrandonif i can05:01
imbrandoni had planned on it as the next release cycle i will have MUCH MUCH more time05:01
imbrandonerr yea05:01
Riddellimbrandon: ok, I'll put you down05:01
HobbseeRiddell: please put Tonio_ in my place, if you can.  he does need to be there.05:01
kwwiihave we invited seele?05:02
Riddellkwwii: we should :)05:02
kwwiiI'll do that then05:02
=== Hobbsee grumbles about not being able to meet seele on that basis.
HobbseeRiddell: how many kubuntu places do you have?05:02
Hobbseeoh wait, she counts as KDE :P05:02
Riddellkwwii: no official invites at this stage as I understand, just asking if people are interested05:02
RiddellHobbsee: no idea how many places05:02
Riddellthree or four I guess05:03
=== fritsch [i=wMVxIZJ6@nat-wh-1.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
eagles0513875hey guys im an avid 64bit user of kubuntu and i love what u guys have done with the 64bit im an avid tester and would love to test any stuff u guys r working on besides the laptop which is 64bit i have a 64bit desktop that i will put this on when i get back to the usa05:03
kwwiiRiddell: right, that is what I meant: I will ask her if she is interested :-)05:03
eagles0513875i want to say great work and i have to say this is the best 64bit operating system out there05:03
Riddelleagles0513875: 64 bit testers are needed for testing tribe releases, hang around #ubuntu-iso and #kubuntu-testers05:03
imbrandonbrandon@voyager:~/files/planet-ubuntu/planet-ubuntu$ bzr commit -m "Added Seele back to Planet Ubuntu ( kubuntu member )"05:04
imbrandonmodified config.ini05:04
imbrandonCommitted revision 256.05:04
Riddellis anyone interested in packaging Qt Jambi?05:04
Riddelljava bindings05:04
imbrandonagainst gcj or sun ?05:04
Tonio_Riddell: I can have a look05:04
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
RiddellTonio_: don't overload yourself :)05:04
Tonio_Riddell: I don't have "that" many things to do05:04
Riddellimbrandon: not sure, gcj if it manages I guess05:04
=== Hobbsee performs the ancient runes on the kubuntu members list
Tonio_Riddell: well acutally I have a lot, but in a few weeks (2 or 3) I may have time for this :)05:05
RiddellTonio_: there's some build issues, ask tronical (Simon haussman) for more information05:05
imbrandoni'm not great at java stuff but i can help along with someone else if they need/want it05:05
Riddellok, Tonio_ and imbrandon to do that05:05
Tonio_Riddell: okay, will do that then05:05
Riddellspec update: how are we getting on?05:05
Riddellkde4-system-settings is in trunk, woo05:05
=== Hobbsee sucks w.r.t specs.
Tonio_imbrandon: feel free to start on your own, I may just not have time right now05:05
RiddellTonio_: how is dolphin-by-default?05:06
imbrandonTonio_, ok i'll get the ball rolling and let you know where i'm at later this week05:06
Tonio_Riddell: okay so here is the point :05:06
Tonio_we need to get 0.9 in, for which I have packages, but there is an issue with the naming change05:06
Tonio_upstream wouldn't like me to rename the all app from d3lphin to dolphin05:06
Riddellbut d3lphin is a horrible name for users to see, the menu item should be dolphin05:07
eagles0513875Riddell: does that mean i can still sign up or not05:07
Tonio_second point : we need some bit of code in the kcm app chooser to be able to switch from konqueror to dolphin05:07
Tonio_that can be done easilly by changing the inode/directory mimetype association05:07
Riddelleagles0513875: to UDS, yes, we can put your name down05:07
eagles0513875uds when and in boston right05:07
Tonio_beeing able to select the default with the standard tool is a requirement I'd say05:07
eagles0513875im saying the meetings member list05:07
Riddelleagles0513875: yes, first week of november05:07
eagles0513875is it a weekend05:08
Tonio_Riddell: do you agree ?05:08
Hobbseeeagles0513875: no, it's a week.05:08
eagles0513875thing is ill have classes05:08
RiddellTonio_: I agree05:08
Hobbseeeagles0513875: then you either miss them, or dont go05:08
Tonio_third point : Ark05:08
Hobbseeeagles0513875: i'm missing this one, i expect, due to uni05:08
Tonio_dolphin doesn't understand konqueror plugins, only servicemenus05:08
eagles0513875same with me im in uni too05:08
imbrandonok confrence call, bbiab05:09
Tonio_we have to write a nice one, but servicemenus have a problem : they are not dynamic, so we can't add options depending the installed compression tools installed on the machine, like unrar for example05:09
Tonio_I must say I don't see a solution on that point05:09
RiddellTonio_: I don't care that much, you still get ark if you left click on it05:09
Tonio_Riddell: you don't..... that's the problem05:10
Riddellwhat do you get?05:10
Tonio_Riddell: will only work with tar.gz by default05:10
Tonio_nothing with zip, rar etc....05:10
Riddellwell ark should be associated with rar files then05:10
Tonio_Riddell: and what if you want to compress a file or folder ? :)05:10
nixternaldidn't even know we had a meeting05:10
RiddellI'm talking about uncompressing05:10
_marseillaisRiddell, for qt jambi i can take a look this week end05:10
Riddellfor compressing you can open ark yourself05:11
nixternalyay Jambi!05:11
_marseillaisoups sorry for delay05:11
Riddell_marseillais: fight it out with imbrandon and Tonio_ :)05:11
Tonio_Riddell: you talk about doubleclicking the file ?05:11
Tonio_Riddell: that way yes it works05:11
RiddellTonio_: yes05:11
Riddellso voila05:11
imbrandon_marseillais, your more than welcome to take it, if you want/need a hand just poke me or Tonio_05:11
Tonio_but that not very nice in my opinion05:12
Riddellright click menus aren't the best UI for most things05:12
Tonio_Riddell: I need to investigate how this works on kde405:12
Tonio_maybe there is just a super servicemenu written :)05:12
_marseillaisimbrandon, oki i'll try to do this this week end.05:12
RiddellTonio_: keyboard-accessibility, how's that?05:12
Riddellabattoir: are you still planning to do onboard?05:12
Tonio_no work on that point at the moment, but that's planed on my own05:12
Tonio_Riddell: will tell you more next meeting05:12
Riddellkwwii: kubuntu-artwork-gusty (a spec I just invented), how's it getting on05:13
Riddella new background would be nice05:13
Riddellmhb: how's restricted-manager doing?05:13
kwwiiRiddell: yeah, I wanted to get a new bg and change the window deco colors05:13
kwwiiI think I messed up the colors in Feisty ;-(05:14
RiddellI hadn't noticed05:14
dthackerkwwii: I have no complaints. :)05:14
abattoirRiddell: yes of course.05:15
Riddellabattoir: soon?  otherwise I suspect mhb will start it first05:16
abattoirRiddell: i've started work on it(trying to separate the frontend and backend) but mhb is more than welcome to work on it if he wants to :)05:16
Riddellok, mhb to coordinate with abattoir if he starts on onboard05:17
Riddellany other agenda items?05:17
Riddellany volunteets to make the minutes?05:18
HobbseeJucato: does05:18
nixternalwasan't there a "scribes" team at one point that used to do exactly this?05:19
Hobbseeoh, the vista lover wants to!05:19
Hobbseenixternal: consider yourself voluntold05:19
nixternalvista lover is enjoying the 4th of july today :)05:19
Hobbseenixternal: and if you can voluntell Jucato to do it, you're welcome.05:19
Riddellhas everyone watched my talk from akademy?05:19
=== nixternal voluntells jucator :0
Hobbseeno.  link?05:20
nixternalRiddell: link!?05:20
Tonio_Riddell: nope, url plz :)05:20
Riddellnixternal: it's a half hour ramble05:20
nixternalRiddell: it is cool to see everyone is having a good time05:20
Riddellsabdfl has a talk there too05:20
=== dthacker wants to see the Krita talk
kwwiiI put a few pics on my flickr page05:20
Riddellkwwii: please add to http://wiki.kde.org/aKademy+2007+Photos05:20
HobbseeRiddell: the time based releases one?05:20
nixternalwe (Ubuntu Chicago) will be putting up a Bzr talk by a Bzr dev pretty soon as well...good information in it05:21
RiddellHobbsee: that was one of the points05:21
nixternalWe found out recently that Chicago has its very own Canonical employee to bug now :)05:21
Riddellnixternal: who's that?05:21
HobbseeRiddell: ah, that was teh only one i saw blogged about05:21
nixternalJohn (can't remember last name), aka jam, who does Bazaar development05:22
RiddellI'm in london for the next week at the distro sprint05:22
Riddellif you're in the area, drop by05:22
HobbseeRiddell: will any of that be documented anywhere?05:22
RiddellHobbsee: I'll still be online05:22
Riddellas will everyone else05:23
nixternalhey, does everyone know that Amarok is broken btw?05:23
HobbseeRiddell: i meant the results of it05:23
Hobbseenixternal: yes, known, in the process of being fixed05:23
Hobbseenixternal: it's curl buggery05:23
nixternalrock on!05:23
RiddellHobbsee: there's no results, we just hack as normal05:23
kwwiiI'll be there too, but don't drop by :p05:23
HobbseeRiddell: okay05:23
HobbseeRiddell: what dates are they from?05:23
Hobbseecool, OK05:24
=== Hobbsee bounces
JucatoHobbsee: sorry can't do the minutes. I'll pass it to nixternal for now (haven't really been paying attention...) sorry...05:24
Hobbseeokay, nixternal is voluntold, with the Long Pointy Stick of DOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 05:24
=== Hobbsee grins
Jucatonixternal: happy independence day :)05:25
RiddellHobbsee: I've been using long sticks to herd people around akademy, they work well05:25
HobbseeRiddell: you didnt take mine, did you?05:25
nixternalwhy thank you...last night went and seen Heart...today I am going to see the Marshall Tucker Band, enjoy some more ribs and beer05:25
HobbseeRiddell: there can only be one Long Pointy Stick of DOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 05:25
Riddellno, I used the sponsors banners rolled up05:25
HobbseeRiddell: ahh.  clever :)05:25
dthackerwould that be a pointy roll, then?05:26
Riddellanyway, we're done, chat to #kubuntu-devel folks05:26
kwwiithanks all05:26
=== kwwii [n=kwwii@khepri.openbios.org] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
=== dthacker good localtime all
=== dthacker [n=dthacker@ip68-107-233-209.om.om.cox.net] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
poningrusomeone say beer?05:26
Hobbseethanks everyone for coming05:26
Hobbseeponingru: no beer!05:27
=== abattoir [n=abattoir@] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Konversation]
=== Jucato [n=jucato@ubuntu/member/Jucato] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Life]
=== xerosis [n=kieran@cpc2-shep5-0-0-cust722.lei3.cable.ntl.com] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Konversation]
=== wsjunior [n=wsjunior@unaffiliated/wsjunior] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Konversation]
=== pag [n=pavel@cs181123229.pp.htv.fi] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
=== kniolet [n=kniolet@12-210-145-71.client.mchsi.com] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Konversation]
fritschRiddell: the link to the videos, you just posted. Not a single one is working correctly on feisty (kmplayer, vlc, mplayer). Sometimes image goes away ...05:33
fritschRiddell: tried your talk and the one from the fedora guys05:33
poningrufritsch: wfm05:41
poningrumplayer & vlc05:42
poningrutry downloading it and then playing it05:42
fritschponingru: ... already did, just did wget file and tried to play it with these 3 players05:42
fritschponingru: [theora @ 0xf04c30] Missing extradata! <- mplayer error message, could not open codec and bad packet in stream ...05:44
=== Hobbsee_ [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
poningruhmm give me the link to the exact one you are trying to play05:45
poningruand we will compare md5sum05:45
fritschponingru: oki05:45
fritschponingru: http://home.kde.org/~akademy07/videos/1-22-Kubuntu-turning_KDE_into_an_operating_system.ogg <- first05:46
fritschponingru: http://home.kde.org/~akademy07/videos/1-20-Fedora_7_KDE_spin.ogg <- second05:46
fritschponingru: try seeking in the film, jumping forwards05:46
poningrueek huge file05:46
fritsch6a7d88ed8506c5266bf0819f23ea6d40  1-22-Kubuntu-turning_KDE_into_an_operating_system.ogg05:47
poningruwill take 5mins to get05:47
fritschfae0fb0e22c4d7228b07936855f6017b  1-20-Fedora_7_KDE_spin.ogg05:47
=== licio [n=licio@ubuntu/member/licio] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
poningrugrr only getting around 1MB/s05:48
poningruwhere is that hosted?05:48
=== LongPointyStick [n=mystery@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
=== tkjacobsen [n=tkjacobs@h59ec0f85.c45-01-03.dyn.perspektivbredband.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== allee gets 25 MB/s
=== poningru shakes fist at allee
poningrufae0fb0e22c4d7228b07936855f6017b  1-20-Fedora_7_KDE_spin.ogg05:50
poningruhuh looks same05:50
Hobbseeallee: i hate you.05:51
Hobbseeallee: seriously.05:51
Hobbseeallee: that's just...not allowed.05:51
=== poningru hugs allee
poningruhey man I get that from my uni05:51
=== Hobbsee gets even *slower* speeds from her uni.
Hobbseelike, 30kb/s05:51
alleeHobbsee: at the week end I've only 64 Kbit :(05:52
alleeHobbsee: then you can sorrow me05:52
Hobbseenot really.05:52
Hobbseewell, our home connection seems to be double that, or so05:52
=== finalbeta [n=gggggggg@d54C6865D.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== allee sorrow Hobbsee until Friday
poningrufritsch: hmm yeha it seems to have some weirdness05:53
poningruin the beginning there are few things here and there that throw errors05:54
poningrubut if you just move forward a few frames in mplayer it works fine05:54
fritschponingru: yes05:56
fritschponingru: just thouht, that official videos with ogg codec, should just work ;-)05:57
poningruhehe yeah05:57
poningrubut most of those vids seem fine05:57
poningruits just some of them are fracked up05:57
poningrubut yeah agreed05:57
poningrushould just work05:57
fritschponingru: thx for co checking05:58
=== hjmf [n=hjmf@150.Red-83-44-175.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
poningruHobbsee: welcome to the slow speed in countries that have monopoly telecoms06:01
=== poningru personally cant wait till wimax
Hobbseeponingru: yeah...this is saying 30 mins06:01
=== Hobbsee has gotten out her download accelerator
=== Lure [n=lure@ubuntu/member/lure] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== beuno [n=martin@ubuntu/member/beuno] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== ..[topic/#ubuntu-meeting:ubotu] : Calendar: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/event | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/ | 04 Jul 20:00 UTC: Edubuntu | 05 Jul 20:00 UTC: Ubuntu Development Team | 10 Jul 15:00 UTC: Kernel Team | 11 Jul 12:00 UTC: Edubuntu | 12 Jul 15:00 UTC: Ubuntu Development Team | 14 Jul 00:00 UTC: MOTU Team
=== bene [n=bene@ip68-9-142-127.ri.ri.cox.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Lure_ [n=lure@89-212-19-55.dynamic.dsl.t-2.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== thekorn [n=thekorn@a89-182-64-92.net-htp.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== luka74 [n=lure@89-212-19-55.dynamic.dsl.t-2.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== BFTD [n=thomas@dialup-] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== waylandbill_ [n=waylandb@70-101-124-72.dsl1-field.roc.ny.frontiernet.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Lure_ [n=lure@89-212-19-55.dynamic.dsl.t-2.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== profoX` [n=wesley@d54C0E764.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== luka74 [n=lure@89-212-19-55.dynamic.dsl.t-2.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== beuno [n=martin@ubuntu/member/beuno] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== fritsch [i=XEXQb064@nat-wh-1.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== ompaul [n=ompaul@freenode/staff/gnewsense.ompaul] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== hjmf [n=hjmf@150.Red-83-44-175.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== johnc4510 [n=johnc@ubuntu/member/johnc4510] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== hjmf [n=hjmf@150.Red-83-44-175.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== pyros_pyrotica [n=peter@c-76-106-153-54.hsd1.fl.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== allee [n=ach@lapex-mcallee.mpe.mpg.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== johnc4510 [n=johnc@ubuntu/member/johnc4510] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Mez [n=Mez@ubuntu/member/mez] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== Mez [n=Mez@ubuntu/member/mez] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== finalbeta [n=gggggggg@d54C6865D.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== ..[topic/#ubuntu-meeting:ubotu] : Current meeting: Edubuntu | Calendar: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/event | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/ | 05 Jul 20:00 UTC: Ubuntu Development Team | 10 Jul 15:00 UTC: Kernel Team | 11 Jul 12:00 UTC: Edubuntu | 12 Jul 15:00 UTC: Ubuntu Development Team | 14 Jul 00:00 UTC: MOTU Team
=== thekorn_ [n=thekorn@a89-182-64-92.net-htp.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== RichEd [n=richard@dsl-245-180-46.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== slackwarelife [n=slackwar@host180-119-dynamic.56-82-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== LaserJock [n=mantha@ubuntu/member/laserjock] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== pyros_pyrotica [n=peter@c-76-106-153-54.hsd1.fl.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
RichEdhi LaserJock09:59
RichEdgetting the pre-edubuntu-meeting coffee ... kick off in 3 mins10:00
=== ogra rushes in the kitchen
BFTD@schedule los_angeles10:01
ubotuSchedule for America/Los_Angeles: Current meeting: Edubuntu | 05 Jul 13:00: Ubuntu Development Team | 10 Jul 08:00: Kernel Team | 11 Jul 05:00: Edubuntu | 12 Jul 08:00: Ubuntu Development Team | 13 Jul 17:00: MOTU Team10:01
RichEdLaserJock: thanks for the mail ... good comments and good food for thought :)10:03
LaserJockRichEd: yeah, it might have been a bit wordy10:03
LaserJockI do believe that's the longest email I've ever written10:03
RichEdno problem ... appreciate all of it ...10:04
RichEdRight ... Ogra : Technical ?10:05
ogratribe2 was released thursday10:07
ograwas quite a lot of work since the new ltsp stuff wasnt integrated in the istaller yet10:07
=== beuno [n=martin@ubuntu/member/beuno] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
BFTDum, a meeting on July 4th?10:07
ograits good enough to install but totally unresponsive to the user wtm10:07
ograBFTD, the world is bigger than america ;)10:08
BFTDyeah but you'll lose a large chunk of users and developers10:08
ograi will need to put a day or two ino the installer ieces to fix that before tribe3 (july 19th)10:08
LaserJockBFTD: sure, what an awesome way to celebrate the 4th than to celebrate software freedom!10:09
BFTDok you win10:09
RichEdBFTD ... we'll make do ... you know the rest of us lesser nations10:09
BFTDum, does anyone know when the next CC meeting is?10:09
LaserJockBFTD: check fridge.ubuntu.com10:09
gnomefreakhasnt been set yet afaik10:09
BFTDwell how do I add myselfto the agenda to become a member?10:10
=== gnomefreak a day behind in email
ograbeyond that i made the sis7019 oss driver work with our kernel, so the e2300 (http://www.compactpc.com.tw/ebox-2300.htm) users ca have sound now too (not sure if i want that driver integrated though, but there is at least a wroking version now)10:10
RichEdBFTD: the CC for Ubuntu or Edubuntu Members ?10:11
LaserJockBFTD: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewMemberHowto10:12
RichEdThis isan Edubuntu meeting at the moment. I suggest you check out the Ubuntu group on Lanchpad, and make an application there ?10:12
RichEdAh ... and some handy help from the LaserScientist above as well10:12
ograand i wrote a new X detection for ltsp since the old on was taking up 20 seconds (loading the whole debconf database takes a lot of time) we could go without a config with the new Xorg but that brings up new probs with keyboard and optional configuration changes ... so a new detection was needed, thats done now ...10:13
=== claydoh [n=claydoh@66-252-49-185.dyn-adsl.midmaine.net] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Konversation]
ogra(actually it feels like there will be not much left from the ltsp we had in feisty *g*)10:14
ograthats all about ltsp ...10:14
LaserJockhow's the new ldm/greeter?10:14
ograon the classmate front i cleaned up some hardoded scripts from the initramfs stuff i did10:14
ograLaserJock, i'm waiting for the go from scttie to merge the next iteration ...10:15
ograhe changed the greeter to be magaed by stdin/stdout commands10:15
ograso we are able to have a full communication between user and ssh ....10:16
ograi.e. it will be possible now to update expired passwords10:16
ograsmartcard integration should become easy10:16
ograand feedback that a user is already logged in :)10:16
LaserJockthat will be great10:17
ograespecially if you can run ldm standalone10:18
ograon any system10:18
LaserJockany other goodies?10:19
ograin gutsy+1 i'd like to add a USB stick mode to the squashfs image ... then you can use the ltsp client image like a liveCD10:19
=== claydoh [n=claydoh@66-252-49-185.dyn-adsl.midmaine.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
ograi.e. boot anything you like into ldm ..10:20
=== claydoh [n=claydoh@66-252-49-185.dyn-adsl.midmaine.net] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Konversation]
=== thekorn [n=thekorn@a89-182-64-92.net-htp.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
ogranext step would be WLAN support10:20
ograten you can punt the 150M image on a SD card or so and boot anything as thin client from that10:20
LaserJockhave you had a chance to talk to colin about the LiveCD? ;-)10:21
ograno matter if its a handhed, laptop or desktop10:21
LaserJockthat would be really cool10:21
ograLaserJock, we agreed that we would work on it during the sprint10:21
LaserJockok, awesome10:21
ogra(starts sunday)10:21
ograi want that fixed urgently10:22
ograthats the best opportunity10:22
LaserJockwhere is the sprint?10:22
ograall sprints are there now that we have the huge office :)10:23
=== _StefanS_ [n=sfs@ubuntu/member/stefans/x-00001] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Konversation]
LaserJockah, nifty10:23
ograthats all so far from tech atm10:23
ograbusy week ...10:24
LaserJockwell, I talked with colin today about the addon CD changes10:24
ograyour code looks fine10:24
RichEdogra: hope you travel safe and simple :)10:24
ograwe didnt talk about it yet ;)10:24
ograRichEd, yeah, me too10:24
LaserJockI created a mockup at http://laserjock.us/files/gai.png10:25
RichEdyou must tell me about the new hotel ... no more KK10:25
ogracunductors are on strike here atm .. but i picked a flight in the evening ....10:25
=== arualavi [n=Iva@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
ograso it should work out :)10:25
LaserJockI'm fairly happy with the categories for now, there are at least 3 apps in each submenu10:25
ograwe need icons :/10:25
LaserJockI can specify icons,  but since I didn't have any I just used the Education one10:25
ograRichEd, ^^10:26
ograLaserJock, yeah10:26
RichEdLaserJock: would you like me to ask kwii for some help with icons ... or else the new launchpad style is also neat ?10:26
LaserJockRichEd: please do, my artistic skills are horrible10:26
ograwell, they should fit into gartoon10:26
RichEdLaserJock: icons also take a certain sort of bent head to get looking good ... not for us mere mortals I fear10:27
ogra(our icon theme)10:27
RichEdcan you send me an example, and some short overview of requirements ?10:27
LaserJockthe other thing is I'm working on some metapackages and I'd like to put them in the main part of the menu10:27
ograoh, i forgot one thing, moquist contacted moodle in debian asking to drop the wwwconfig-common code :)10:28
LaserJockI was thinking Legacy (edu apps from dapper/edgy), and KDE at least10:28
ograi'm curious about the answer :)10:28
ogra(if we even get one)10:28
LaserJockyeah, I've been working with moquist on packaging some stuff10:28
ograwe had a short meeting today10:29
ograyeah, he told me ... the sambaldap stuff :)10:29
ogragerat to see that10:29
ogra*great even10:29
=== Mez [n=Mez@ubuntu/member/mez] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
ograanyway, i think thats it about tech10:31
LaserJockhas anybody had a chance to look at my MIR Candidates list?10:31
ograthe one on your wiki ?10:31
RichEdLaserJock: sorry not yet ...10:31
LaserJockk, I figure I should start cracking on those10:31
LaserJockI have a couple I *know* I want to get in, so I'll start with those10:32
LaserJockbut it'd be nice to get some feedback from people10:32
ograoooh, that remonds me10:32
=== ogra makes a not to add gobby to the CD :)
ograall deps are in main now afaik10:34
ograand the MIR is approved since ages10:34
LaserJockI think schools could really like gobby10:35
RichEdNothing from my side on docs10:38
ograhere neither10:38
ograapart from the statement that much in ltsp land changed and will need new docs10:39
LaserJockwell, I was going to wait for more changes10:39
RichEdogra: is the LTSP install process also different now than the current docs ?10:39
LaserJockbut yesterday we got a bug complaining that we have Feisty docs10:39
ograthere will still be a lot10:39
LaserJockand translators weren't liking it or something10:39
ograRichEd, its longer ... we generate an image from the client environment ...10:40
RichEdI recall a comment on the edubuntu.org page saying that there are less steps than outlined ?10:40
LaserJockso I think maybe today I'll upload what I've got10:40
LaserJockjust so there is a gutsy edubuntu-docs package10:40
=== RichEd goes to check quick
ograthat takes abot 8minutes on a 1Ghz machine ...10:40
ogra8mins where you see no disk activity since all the image compressing happens without disk access10:40
ograin the intaller that seems like its hanging10:41
RichEdoops ... the GettingStarted page still says this: "For notes on how to configure settings for Edubuntu 6.06 LTS, please seeThin client configuration."10:41
RichEdDoes that section still apply to 7.04 ... or must they refer to: The latest release, Edubuntu 7.04, provides additional options for customising the thin client behaviour. They are documented in the Edubuntu Handbook, which is available in the Edubuntu System Help menu.10:42
LaserJockis there a general recommendation about using Edubuntu LTS?10:42
LaserJockshould we encourage people to use 7.04?10:42
ograthe ltsp in 6.06 is really not great10:43
ografeature wise ...10:43
ograedgy was the first one that had all features we support today10:43
LaserJockthat's what I was thinking10:43
LaserJockit's a bit different than Ubuntu that way10:43
ograconfig wise 6.06 had a lot less options ...10:43
RichEdand should the advice above be either / or ... i.e. for 7.04 dop they look at : please seeThin client configuration AND the handbook ... or just the handbook10:44
ograwe should have a release based lts.conf option list10:44
ograin the docs ...10:44
ograwell i'd rather say handbook ...10:44
=== LaserJock summons willvdl and sbalneav
ograbut then a lot of the options in the handbook arent even supported in dapper10:45
=== RichEd watches LaserJock rubbing the bottle ... but does not see any genies
ograand i'm not eager to tag all options *inside* the handbook for their releases10:45
ograsbalneav wasnt around the whole day i doubt he'll show up10:46
=== LaserJock kicks his magic lamp
RichEdhe'll be busy with July 4th and kids and fanily methinks10:46
LaserJockbah, doesn't stop me :-)10:46
LaserJockand he's Canadian ;-)10:46
ograthats all about docs ?10:47
=== RichEd nods
RichEdAnd for artwork, I have not mailed Pete yet ... must do that tomorrow:(10:48
ograwe had artwork before ... anything to add ?10:48
ograLaserJock, does he show up in -motu ?10:48
ograi see him blogging abotu code ...10:49
=== usul [n=usul@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
RichEd"There are 48 direct members of the "Edubuntu Artwork" team, and 48 people are members in total, directly and indirectly through other team memberships."10:50
RichEdI must also mail them to see who is still active and willing to help. Some old names there, like my wife.10:50
=== asac_ [n=asac@debian/developer/asac] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== RichEd promises to mail pete and the LP group, and have some ideas about new blood for next week.,
RichEdNo sign of HighVoltage or willvdl for web site ...10:52
ograneither pips110:52
=== allee [n=ach@lapex-mcallee.mpe.mpg.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
RichEdCan we move onto community then ... the edubuntu-members stuff we spoke about last week ?10:52
RichEdgive me a sec to save a page I am editing10:53
LaserJockogra: I talk to Pete on jabber occasionally10:54
LaserJockI've seen him also a couple times in #edubuntu lately10:54
=== myriam_rs [n=myriam_r@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== ogra_ [n=ogra@p548ACB1E.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
LaserJockis kwwii doing Edubuntu artwork at all?10:55
=== neversfelde|mobi [n=neversfe@] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
RichEdLaserJock: kwii is willing to help ... and if he hits overload, we'll resolve then10:56
ogranot sure something i can find out next week at the sprint ;)10:56
LaserJockwell, I think it would help to have like a direction or spec10:56
RichEdLaserJock: I have not seen cbx33 in #edubuntu for about 3 weeks10:56
LaserJocki think there might some people who are interested in helping10:57
ajmitchcbx33 has been busy, but around10:57
LaserJockbut just saying "create artwork for Edubuntu" is a bit vague and overwhelming10:57
RichEdLaserJock: step 1 is for me to tidy the artwork group ... ping people to see who is alive and kicking10:57
ograLaserJock, i'll talk with him at the sprint10:57
RichEdperhaps you can ask them to join the artwork group10:58
RichEdhi ajmitch10:58
ograthats one of the reasons i'm there :)10:58
RichEdOkay ... semi-related, and moving also onto community & membership:10:58
RichEdI've updated that page to have a short description of all the Edubuntu and Education and School groups in Launchpad10:58
RichEdSo LaserJock you can even point people there, tell them to follow the artwork link, and sign up, and await an invtitation to join the meeting next week10:59
RichEdb.t.w. LaserJock are the possible helpers stateside or europe time ?11:00
RichEdand which meeting time generally works best for stateside ?11:00
RichEdthe 12:00 UTC or the now one ?11:00
=== ogra doesnt really like that https://launchpad.net/~edubuntu gets still promotion
RichEdogra: that is the next matter on the table when LaserJock has commented on the artwork11:01
ograits very confusing imho11:01
LaserJockI have no idea about the artwork team, tbh11:01
ograwe want people in https://launchpad.net/~edubuntu-members and make contributions to jpin it11:01
LaserJockoverall I think we have way to many teams11:01
RichEdLaserJock: I'll sort out the team ... I was asking for comment on the possible helpers you mentioned11:01
RichEdexactly ... let's jump right into the LP topic then:11:02
RichEd* why is there edubuntu and edubuntu-members ?11:02
RichEdAnyone have some historical perspecgive for me ?11:02
ograedubuntu was the initial team to track edubuntu users11:02
ograbefore any of the other existed11:02
LaserJockRichEd: I honestly don't know, Pete and Lisa are the only people I know of really, plus maybe Viper50011:02
ograthen we got EC powers and got the edubuntu-members team11:03
ograthat made edubuntu obsolete11:03
RichEdLaserJock: Viper500 ? not sure who that is ... never come across that nick11:03
RichEdogra: some thinking aloud from my side then ... for edubuntu-members:11:03
RichEd"Membership is open to anybody who has made a substantial contribution - of any form - to Edubuntu."11:03
LaserJockRichEd: Ubuntu Artwork guy11:03
RichEdLaserJock: okie11:03
ograRichEd, right11:04
ograand who went through the membership procedure ...11:04
RichEdHow can somone join "as part of the family" before they have done enough to get approved ?11:04
LaserJockRichEd: sustained and significant contribution11:04
ogra(add wikipage to agenda, show up at EC meeting etc)11:04
RichEdI 'spose what I am asking is should we have a low entry level group : edubuntu ... for any intereste person ...11:05
RichEdAnd make edubuntu-members the "approved cointributors"11:05
RichEdWould that make any sense ?11:05
ograi'd rather see these people trying to join -members11:05
ograsomeone created edubuntu-enthsiasts or education-enthusiasts recently11:06
RichEdWould that not scare off some potential people who *may* contribute later when comfortable / skilled ?11:06
ogra(there was a mail on the ML)11:06
LaserJockI think it's a real mistake to have a general team for anybody to join11:06
ograwhy should i contibute if i can jon the other team for free11:06
RichEdogra: neither of those showed up when I searched11:06
LaserJockwe shouldn't have a team for sake of having a team11:06
LaserJockand we shouldn't create a team in the hopes that people will join11:07
RichEdLaserJock: I am happy to merge the groups, just thinking aloud as I said11:07
ogra15 members11:07
ograRichEd, its not that easy, you cant merge them11:07
RichEdogra: strange ... I searched on Education in teams (but then LP searches were never the best)11:08
ograedubuntu people would have to go through the membership procedure to join edubuntu-members11:08
=== j_ack [n=j_ack@p508D81A9.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
LaserJockI count 18 edubuntu teams + the education-enthusiasts team11:08
LaserJockbut we have very few people actually doing anything, IMO11:08
RichEdi've called up: ttps://launchpad.net/~education-enthusiasts and will ad it to the wiki page11:08
RichEdogra: by merge, I did not expect a button :) I may need to ask people to join the correct group, and then remove themselves from edubuntu11:09
RichEdand then we can ask for edubuntu to be shot down11:09
ograLaserJock, well, it seems every time we have some enthusiastic people in edubuntu a new team is founded ... until the itrest dies again ...11:09
RichEdoops ... freudian slip ... *shut down11:09
ograRichEd, we need a secretary :/11:09
RichEdso the moral of the story is ... imho:11:10
RichEd* trim the # of groups11:10
RichEd* mail people to see who is still alive11:10
RichEd* get a core set of people in core groups active again11:10
RichEdand when we talk about art / docs / handbook etc in meetings, post an update to the LP group to get the news / info / initiatives out to the people who were not at the meeting11:11
RichEdsound like a plan ?11:11
RichEdcomments, opinions, loose change ?11:11
ograsounds good ...11:11
RichEdLaserJock: make sense to you ?11:12
ogralooks like a plan (merely because of the added bulletpoints *g*)11:12
=== RichEd is the master of window dressing
LaserJockRichEd: seems good11:12
LaserJockwe might want to have team leads and team reports11:13
RichEdokay ... I'll take responsibility for a first round of pinging and tidying ... and update the page or the meeting next week ...11:13
RichEdand we can talk through it again then ... with less groups, and more live bodies hopefully11:13
RichEdAny other items for the meeting tonight ?11:14
ograi'll be at the sprint then ... if you have anything i need direct access to any of my collaegues for, ask me that next week :)11:15
ograactually the meeting will even be during offic hours next week11:15
ograsince its a EC meeting, we should at least ask :)11:15
=== avoine [n=avoine@] has left #ubuntu-meeting []
RichEdthanks ollie ... you can keep an eye on the meeting channel at the sprint or any questions that come up11:16
=== RichEd goes a bit eye deaf
=== ogra doesnt expect anyone :)
ograjust pro-forma11:17
ograso we can say we did our EC duty :)11:17
LaserJockI guess11:17
=== RichEd waits for a respectable time ... ta dum ta dum ... anyone ?
ogranuff waited :)11:17
=== RichEd readies the gong ...
RichEd... going once ....11:18
RichEd... going twice ....11:18
=== RichEd looks around for last call
=== LaserJock grabs RichEd's stick and bangs the gong
RichEddone ... sold to the man in the electronic kilt11:18
usul:) I can help11:18
ograLaserJock, bah, you broke the suspense11:18
RichEdusul: in what whay do you offer your kind assistance ?11:19
RichEdwith the gonging, or artwork ?11:19
ograor the secretary position ? :)11:19
usuldunno, :) no not secretary11:20
RichEdusul ... well check out the following page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Edubuntu/Community11:20
usuldocbook , java ? is that any good?11:20
RichEdand let us know what looks like it may interest you ... and then mail me, or grab one of us in the #edubuntu channel tomorrow11:21
RichEddocbook would be a help I am sure11:21
usulsure sounds good11:21
=== ogra goes to bed now ... working since 8:00 with no breaks (no idea why drove me today)
RichEdLaserJock: I had education enthusiasts in the page ... that is a recent effort by Jim in Colorado11:22
=== RichEd tuck ogra in ... and waves goodbye to the others
RichEdnight all ... usul see you in my mailbox or the channel11:22
usulok :) see you11:22
RichEdusul: we would be grateful ... just all tired right now ... will chat again about volunteers at the meeting next weeek wed at 12L00 UTC11:23
=== juliux [n=juliux@ubuntu/member/juliux] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== gnomefreak [n=gnomefre@ubuntu/member/gnomefreak] has joined #ubuntu-meeting
=== LaserJock [n=mantha@ubuntu/member/laserjock] has left #ubuntu-meeting ["Leaving"]
=== OGDA [n=thomas@dialup-] has joined #ubuntu-meeting

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!