=== persia [n=persia@ubuntu/member/persia] has joined #ubuntu-devel
RiddellMithrandir: could you give back kde4pim12:32
=== minghua [n=minghua@ubuntu/member/minghua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Viper550 [n=Viper550@d57-121-167.home.cgocable.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== login_ [n=login@CPE0018f3a66698-CM0019475d87ba.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
login_ I have been compiling kernel 2.6.22 and have run across a dilemna. My compiled kernel weighs in at about 400-500 mb while the ubuntu kernel weighs about 100-200 mb. How did you guys get the kernel to be so thin?While i was uncompressing the kernel i saw it uncompress folders such as sparc so is it possible that my kernel installed all architectures? if so , how can i make it only use 1386?01:00
=== jml [n=jml@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ion_Please read the topic.01:01
login_this is a topic related to feisty01:03
ScottKlogin_: This is not the place to come for kernel compiling lessons/support.01:05
=== ryu [n=chris@unaffiliated/ryu] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Gone]
=== doko__ [n=doko@dslb-088-073-099-162.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Burgundavia_login_: that is a support issue, please use the -users list or the forums01:06
=== login_ [n=login@CPE0018f3a66698-CM0019475d87ba.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Konversation]
=== hggdh [n=hggdh@pool-71-170-39-244.dllstx.fios.verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jrib [n=jrib@upstream/dev/jrib] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zabin [n=zabin@c-68-59-30-108.hsd1.sc.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
zabinHello I was wondering if any of you knew of a list of current projects going on that i could get involved helping with?01:44
=== lukaswayne9 [n=lukas@c-68-84-69-12.hsd1.nj.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ryanakca [n=ryan@ubuntu/member/ryanakca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
persiazabin: What sort of thing are you interested in helping with?01:45
=== hggdh [n=hggdh@pool-71-170-39-244.dllstx.fios.verizon.net] has left #ubuntu-devel []
zabinpersia: Well im currently a college study studying computer engineering and I would be interested in helping out with some programming developing perhaps a program or application of the open source community.01:46
zabinpersia: *for the open source community.01:47
Amaranthzabin: I think he meant what area of Ubuntu are you most interested in?01:48
persiazabin: Hmm..  That's a broad goal :)  For Ubuntu specifically, we usually focus on patches and maintenance (for which #ubuntu-motu is a good discussion channel), implementation of new features (a list of specifications is available from https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu - be sure to check to see who else is working on it, and have a few leftovers that need code listed at the bottom of https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/TODO.01:49
persiaAmaranth: Not necessarily :)01:49
zabinHrm, pretty much anything that would involve programming.01:50
persiazabin: Depending on your interest, you may be able to contribute as much (or more) working with some of our more prominent upstreams (e.g. GNOME, KDE, OOo, mozilla, X, linux, etc.)01:50
zabinpersia: thanks for that link earlier there are a few projects on there that i could see myself getting involved in.01:52
persiazabin: Great.  Welcome, and thanks for helping!01:53
Amaranthzabin: you should work on compiz :)02:00
zabinI'm looking into working on the easy-encryption project lol02:01
zabinAmaranth: The compiz stuff would probably way of my head for my first team development project.02:02
Amaranthyeah, it does require a somewhat interesting set of skills02:03
zabinAmaranth: do you know of any projects that you would think would be good to start out on as a noob?02:03
AmaranthGNOME and KDE have bugs marked for beginners to tackle02:04
zabinDo you know where i would have to look to find where that is online?02:04
zabinAmaranth: do you know where that page is located?02:08
Amaranthfor which one?02:09
zabinAmaranth: GNOME and KDE have bugs marked for beginners to tackle02:09
Amaranthdo you want GNOME or KDE?02:09
zabinAmaranth: GNOME02:09
Amaranthzabin: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/reports/gnome-love.cgi02:10
=== jack_wyt_ [n=jack@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Burgundavia [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cprov [n=cprov@canonical/launchpad/cprov] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== RAOF [n=Chris_@matht464.maths.unsw.edu.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zabin [n=zabin@c-68-59-30-108.hsd1.sc.comcast.net] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== keyes [n=keyes@easyubuntu/keyes] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cynics [n=freeflyi@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== statik [n=emurphy@canonical/launchpad/statik] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jml [n=jml@ppp112-44.static.internode.on.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== RoninX341 [n=etank@ubuntu/member/etank] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== RoninX341 is now known as etank
=== dcsmith__ [n=dcsmith@ool-4351bc6d.dyn.optonline.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== maniacmusician_ [n=maniacmu@24-151-1-004.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== siti [n=siti@clix-jaquesmartin-nz.cpe.clix.net.nz] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== etank [n=etank@ubuntu/member/etank] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== RoninX341 [n=etank@ubuntu/member/etank] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== RoninX341 is now known as etank
=== infinity_ [n=adconrad@cerberus.0c3.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== stub [n=stub@ppp-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hunger_t [n=tobias@p54A72213.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== StR [n=Pablo@unaffiliated/str] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== minghua [n=minghua@ubuntu/member/minghua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lmveloso [n=lmveloso@200-193-152-9.mganm702.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== xtknight [n=xtknight@c-68-43-120-159.hsd1.mi.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lmveloso [n=lmveloso@200-193-152-9.mganm702.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jinty [n=jinty@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sbalneav [n=sbalneav@S0106000b6a5631f9.wp.shawcable.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dcsmith_ [n=dcsmith@ool-4351bc6d.dyn.optonline.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sbalneavIf someone happens to see seb128, let him know I posted a patch for bug #12254405:23
ubotuLaunchpad bug 122544 in nbd "nbd-server crashed with SIGSEGV" [Medium,Incomplete]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/12254405:23
sbalneavI also duped all the other nbd-server SIGSEGV to that one.05:23
=== Amaranth [n=travis@ubuntu/member/Amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jml [n=jml@ppp112-44.static.internode.on.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== persia [n=persia@ubuntu/member/persia] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== AndrewB [n=andy@freenode/helper/ubuntu.member.AndrewB] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ijuz__ [n=ijuz@p54ABF9BD.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Hobbsee [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sbalneavEvening Hobbsee06:28
Hobbseeheya sbalneav!06:29
=== Burgundavia [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== nags [n=nags@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Hobbseemorning fabbione!06:59
Burgundaviahey fabbione, Hobbsee07:00
Hobbseehi Burgundavia07:01
=== macd [n=d@cl-116.atl-01.us.sixxs.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Amaranth [n=travis@ubuntu/member/Amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== viviersf [n=cain@gw.impilinux.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== gaze_ [n=sp1n@cpe-24-221-176-91.ca.sprintbbd.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
gaze_what packages are the man pages for strlen strcpy etc. in?07:17
Amaranthgaze_: manpages-dev, please use #ubuntu next time07:27
gaze_sorry about that07:29
gaze_thanks anyway07:29
=== fabbione [i=fabbione@gordian.fabbione.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Amaranth [n=travis@ubuntu/member/Amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti [n=pitti@ubuntu/member/pitti] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiGood morning07:47
Burgundaviamorning pitti07:52
Hobbseemorning pitti!07:52
StevenKMorning pitti07:57
pittihey all07:58
StevenKpitti: So, do you want to remove some NBS packages? :-)07:58
=== blackskad [n=blackska@d54C4A53D.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
StevenKpitti: There are 3 that are zero-sized in the list, I'm working on a fourth. I can start on a fifth, but only after you look at/approve a MIR.07:59
pittiStevenK: yeah, can do08:01
=== highvoltage [n=highvolt@broadband-196-1-61-45.amobia.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== `anthony [n=anthony@124-168-128-144.dyn.iinet.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti [n=pitti@ubuntu/member/pitti] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== amitk_ [n=amit@a81-197-135-210.elisa-laajakaista.fi] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti [n=pitti@ubuntu/member/pitti] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Hobbsee [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Hobbseeoh good, i wont have to kill calc today08:11
StevenKHeh, maybe tomorrow?08:11
=== minghua [n=minghua@ubuntu/member/minghua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== gaze_ [n=sp1n@cpe-24-221-176-91.ca.sprintbbd.net] has left #ubuntu-devel []
HobbseeStevenK: depends.08:20
HobbseeStevenK: i dont like my documents corrupted, then ooo dying over trying to uncorrupt them.08:29
StevenKSounds like fun.08:29
Hobbseealthough it appears that this one is not a .doc, which is good, as it's kinda important, so did actually recover correctly08:29
=== Lure [n=lure@external-1.hermes.si] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== micahcowan [n=micah@ubuntu/member/micahcowan] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== StevenK curses arb.
StevenKNow it fails with a linking problem.08:53
=== ccm [n=damokles@lilith.spinnenwerk.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ccmis there a reason why there is no jigdo download for desktop images but for alternate isos?08:58
=== dholbach [n=daniel@pD9E25DBD.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ccmah, maybe dholbach knows09:00
ccm08:58 < ccm> is there a reason why there is no jigdo download for desktop images but for alternate isos?09:00
dholbachhi ccm09:00
ccmhi dholbach :)09:00
dholbachno, no idea09:00
Hobbseeccm: depending on what you want to download, there's mostly no point in it anyway09:01
Hobbseeas in, downloading things yet09:01
ccmHobbsee: well, jigdo updates packages in an iso09:01
ccmso a jigdo would give you an iso with the most recent kernel and stuff09:01
ccmi think this is even more than a nice to have09:02
Hobbseeccm: the livefs' arent building yet for most arches/flavours, so the iso isnt worth downloading anyway, at this particular point in time.09:02
Hobbseebut true, i see your point09:02
ccmAh I get the problem09:02
Fujitsujigdo can't work with desktop CDs, as most of the space is taken up by one file (the squashfs)09:02
ccmits about building the final desktop iso09:02
ccmthen this is not a political decision just a technical one09:03
=== lukaswayne9 [n=lukas@c-68-84-69-12.hsd1.nj.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Czubek [n=Damian@k133d.ac.pwr.wroc.pl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
FujitsuI suppose it might be possible to have a jigdo-like thing that reconstructed the squashfs after downloading the packages, but such a thing doesn't exist and would be non-trivial.09:04
=== dholbach [n=daniel@pD9E25DBD.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ccmFujitsu: I see. I have actually no clue about squashfs but I'll have a look at this09:04
Hobbseeinfinity_: ping09:05
pittiinfinity_: bah, oo.o on ppc still failed with your increased waiting period09:07
StevenKpitti: I'm very tempted to give up on removing the last Build-Depends of libglew-dev. It's a package called arb that hasn't built and doesn't look like it's going to build without a lot of swearing and screwdrivers being thrown at a wall.09:07
pittiStevenK: right, just ignore it then09:07
dholbachhi pitti09:07
=== pitti hugs dholbach
=== dholbach hugs pitti back
StevenKpitti: In that case, libglew1, libglew-dev, libgeda20, libparrot0.4.6 and libquantlib-0.8.0 can be NBS'd out of the archive.09:08
=== Hobbsee hugs dholbach and pitti
HobbseeStevenK: but screwdrivers being thrown at the wall might be fun!09:08
=== dholbach hugs Hobbsee back
pittiStevenK: yay09:09
StevenKThe changelog for the arb Ubuntu changes is ten lines, and it still didn't completly build. Besides, it looks like a complete PoS to build, too.09:10
=== Nicke [n=niclasa@ua-83-227-140-135.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se] has joined #ubuntu-devel
StevenKSomeone *very* sadistic wrote their Makefile.09:10
StevenKpitti: Can I convince you to look at a MIR? :-)09:11
FujitsuCan someobody please give back banshee on ia64, amd64 and i386?09:11
pittiFujitsu: kicked09:12
pittiStevenK: NBS axe applied09:13
StevenKpitti: Woot, way cool.09:13
Fujitsupitti: Thanks.09:13
pittiStevenK: which MIR?09:13
StevenKpitti: Mutagen09:14
StevenKpitti: Needed for new libgpod.09:14
FujitsuGrr, evil 1.1.6 build log breakage.09:14
=== dholbach [n=daniel@pD9E25DBD.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiStevenK: "MainInclusionReportMutagen (I will talk to dholbach in person -iwj)" -- hmm09:16
=== hunger_t [n=tobias@pd95b0676.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittidholbach: ^ did Ian ask you about this?09:16
dholbachpitti: no, he didn't09:16
pittiStevenK: I'll ask Ian about that before09:18
StevenKpitti: Okay, cool.09:18
=== Arby [n=richard@shiny.york.ac.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
StevenKpitti: You'll regenerate the list after the publisher finishes running?09:22
pittiStevenK: yeah, but that will be a while09:22
pittisince the current one didn't catch it yet, I think09:22
StevenKThat's okay, I'm aout to drive home, and then off to my mothers for dinner. (Oh joy, oh rapture)09:23
Hobbseesay you were abducted or something, and dont go :P09:24
StevenKI'm very tempted.09:25
FujitsuRight, what the heck is going on with !{sparc,powerpc} banshee builds? hal's failing to start on installation, causing the world to explode.09:25
pittiFujitsu: why would the package need to build-dep on hal? that seems wrong to me09:28
=== Fujitsu has no idea. I just saw things depending on a newer banshee than existed on most archs.
FujitsuArgh, it has a lot of direct build-deps.09:29
pittib-dep'ing on g-v-m, hal, dbus, etc. seems definitively wrong09:30
pittiI doubt that we can make hal work correctly in any chroot09:30
pittiif /sys or /proc are not mounted, it'll go nuts09:30
FujitsuThat'd do it.09:30
=== Fujitsu works out which build-dep is pulling in hal.
=== Fujitsu also wonders why it succeeded on powerpc and sparc.
pittiFujitsu: their buildd chroots might have /sys, or so09:31
pittiFujitsu: I suspect libipod-cil09:38
=== Hobbsee dies of freezing
pittiFujitsu: libipod-cil -> libipoddevice0 -> gnome-volume-manager -> hal -> dbus09:38
=== pitti melts
Fujitsupitti: Aha, thanks.09:38
Hobbseepitti: what's the temp there?09:38
pittiHobbsee: 30 degrees09:39
Hobbseepitti: i'll swap09:39
=== Hobbsee waits for the house to warm up a bit
=== Tonio_ [n=tonio@linagoraberri.pck.nerim.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Hobbseehi Tonio_09:49
pittiinfinity_: terranova still seems to have the old apt and thus does not build live CDs; can you please poke that?09:49
Tonio_hi Hobbsee :)09:49
=== Fujitsu wonders what the new buildds will be named.
=== gizmo [n=gizmo@p578b708f.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
HobbseeFujitsu: i want to name one "doom"10:06
=== chand| [n=rsamson@linagoraberri.pck.nerim.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== fabbione scratches his head
=== Hobbsee throws small rocks at fabbione
fabbionesomething is broken...10:14
=== Hobbsee didnt break it
=== slomo [n=slomo@ubuntu/member/slomo] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dholbachhey slomo10:19
slomohi dholbach :)10:19
dholbachslomo: how's it going?10:20
=== MagnusR [n=magru@c83-252-237-96.bredband.comhem.se] has joined #ubuntu-devel
slomodholbach: everything's alright, just very busy as always ;)10:21
slomodholbach: and you?10:21
dholbachsame here :-)10:21
=== dholbach gets some more coffee
=== StevenK [n=stevenk@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== thekorn [n=thekorn@a89-182-5-46.net-htp.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== elmo [n=james@83-216-156-21.jamest747.adsl.metronet.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Hobbsee waves to elmo
elmohi Hobbsee10:37
=== Amaranth [n=travis@ubuntu/member/Amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mc44 [n=mc44@unaffiliated/mc44] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Gasten [n=Gasten@h52n9c1o1095.bredband.skanova.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cjwatson_ [n=cjwatson@82-69-40-219.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Amaranth [n=travis@ubuntu/member/Amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== `anthony_ [n=anthony@203-214-127-151.perm.iinet.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
infinity_pitti: I'll look into both OOo and terranova, thanks.11:13
infinity_Hobbsee: pong?11:13
=== infinity_ is now known as inifnity
Hobbseeinfinity_: same as what pitti later said, sorry11:14
=== inifnity is now known as infinity
pittiinfinity: cheers11:14
infinityYou'd think if there was any word in the world I could type, it would be "infinity"... :/11:14
Hobbseeinfinity: just blame it on the cold or something11:15
infinityIt's summer...11:16
Hobbseeoh, so you did move.11:16
infinitypitti: apt in terranova's gutsy-live chroot is up to date...11:16
infinityHobbsee: No, I'm just in London for the next week.11:16
Hobbseeah right11:16
infinitypitti: No idea why it wasn't before, but it fixed itself in the meantime.11:16
pittiinfinity: weird; ok, I'll try another livefs build11:16
=== dholbach hugs infinity
infinitypitti: I'm changing the livefs stuff to trigger a chroot upgrade bfore each build anyway, sinc the cron.daily updates seems a bit less reliable at times.11:17
dholbachevand: slomo took care of the tomboy update in the meantime already - marking it as done11:17
pittiinfinity: hmm, still the same problem; might be an mvo bug then11:17
infinitypitti: Lemme look...11:17
infinitypitti: Which dist are you building?11:18
=== pitti wonders why buildlive ubuntu suddenly produces an awful lot of output
pittiinfinity: ubuntun11:18
infinitypitti: I see no logs for i386 since 20070712.111:18
pittiinfinity: I manually triggered some last Friday and today11:18
pittiking is currently grinding11:19
pittiand terranova once again exited with the usual11:19
pittielmo: Couldn't find task minimal11:19
pittielmo: Couldn't find task standard11:19
pittierk, "E:", not "elmo" (sorry, elmo)11:19
infinitypitti: Exact command you're running as cdimage on lithium?11:19
pittibuildlive ubuntu11:19
pittijust as the cronjob does11:19
infinityArgh, why does lithium still have that ps-unfriendly kernel patch?11:21
pittips aux works quite fine here?11:22
infinity24 processes is "fine" to you? :)11:23
pittiwell, for my purposes, yes :)11:23
infinityAnd no useful output from "w" or "who".11:23
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@ubuntu/member/ivoks] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== iwj [n=ian@xenophobe.extern.relativity.greenend.org.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittihi iwj11:29
=== gouki_ [n=gouki@ubuntu/member/gouki] has joined #ubuntu-devel
iwjHmm, I wonder why this client wasn't connected over the weekend ?11:29
iwjOh well.11:30
Hobbseegreetings iwj, thanks for your mail11:30
infinitypitti: When the cronjob building dailies is done, we're going to reboot with a less gimped kernel, so you might want to lay off lithium for a bit.11:31
pittiinfinity: sure; I don't mind at all if you kill the current build, too11:31
infinity(Not that a less gimped kernel will solve the issue you were having, but it'll make it less painful for me to diagnose life)11:31
pittiinfinity: it was just for testing the apt issue on terranova11:31
iwjHobbsee: Hi.  The dpkg one ?  NP.11:32
infinitypitti: When we bring lithium back, I'll try to figure out WTF is going on between lithium and terranova.11:32
pittiah, seems to have finished11:32
Hobbseeiwj: yeah11:32
iwjHobbsee: I've done what I think is fixing it and if I'm wrong I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.11:32
infinitypitti: Since terranova isn't actually building anything, and hasn't done since the 12th, I'm curious what you're seeing. ;)11:32
Hobbseeiwj: cool, OK11:32
pittiinfinity: it seems it dumped a large portion of the log to stdout instead of the log file11:32
pittiinfinity: that may or may not be related to the symptoms11:32
infinitypitti: Do you have stdout in a buffer?11:33
pittiinfinity: hm, the remaining bits actually seem to indicate a moblin build11:33
infinitypitti: The first 20 lins or so...11:33
infinitypitti: Yeah, that's what I thought.11:33
infinitypitti: I blame Tollef.11:33
infinitypitti: I'll lookinto it after the reboot. :)11:33
pittiinfinity: only the last 40 lines or so11:33
pittiinfinity: cheers11:33
infinitypitti: I suspect someone swapped live/moblin to do some testing or something. :)11:33
pittiinfinity: it currently seems to run a cronjob for some sparc image11:34
pittibut I don't need any image right now, so just kill off anything you like11:34
infinity... or it could be my own retarded misuse of authorized_keys11:34
Fujitsuslomo: Got any ideas on how to convince hal to work on the buildds? pitti says it's probably not going to happen.11:35
slomoFujitsu: nope, not really11:35
=== keyes [n=keyes@easyubuntu/keyes] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittislomo: would it be entirely unreasonable to drop the g-v-m dependency from libipoddevice0?11:35
FujitsuWhy does libipoddevice0 need g-v-m?11:35
FujitsuDamn, beat me to it.11:35
=== ivoks_ [n=ivoks@vipnet35-165.mobile.carnet.hr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiFujitsu: I smell an agreement here :)11:36
FujitsuI really don't see why it needs something so desktopy.11:36
pitti(disclaimer: I neither have a shiny iPod nor an idea what libipoddevice0 does in particular)11:36
slomopitti, Fujitsu: it needs it for getting the volume informations, mounting, whatever... at least it needs hal & g-v-m to work ;)11:36
Hobbseepitti: then get one, and claim it as a work expense :P11:36
pittislomo: but g-v-m?11:37
pitti"Recommends: hal" maybe?11:37
slomopitti: and people who don't look at recommends will have a non-working library...11:37
pittithe better fix would probably to have a policy-rc.d in those chroots to not start daemons in the first place11:38
slomopitti: and it definitely needs g-v-m, upstream told me that ;) i just don't know why11:38
slomopitti: i have the same problem on the debian buildds btw, well... only on ppc and ia64...11:38
infinitypitti: I'm a muppet, it's my fault. :)11:38
infinitypitti: Give me a few minutes to write a wrapper for livefs/moblin, and it should sort itself.11:39
sorenI forget: Against which package/product should bugs on the ubunut.com website be reported?11:39
infinity(where "few minutes" involves things like getting a Coke, having a smoke, and generally waking up)11:39
Hobbseesoren: ubuntu-website?11:40
soren"No results found for keyword 'ubuntu-website'."11:40
FujitsuThat's definitely the project name, but LP search is not great.11:40
Hobbseesoren: LP search is on crack.  see https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-website11:40
sorenYes, I'm an idiot. Found it now. Thanks!11:41
=== Fujitsu tried it once then decided it wasn't worth the pain.
Hobbseeit either returns nothing, or returns results which dont contained the search term11:41
Hobbseewhich i find...slightly odd11:41
Hobbseeof course, occasionally it returns the right things.11:41
Hobbsee(when searching by keywords, in a bug report)11:41
FujitsuIf you're lucky, and choose keyword characters carefully.11:42
=== xhaker [n=xhaker@di19.di.fct.unl.pt] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittislomo: any idea about https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/2.19.5-0ubuntu1/+build/356089 ? do the gstreamer pkgconfig files specify -Werror somewhere? We must not use that on sparc and ia6411:43
pittislomo: (the better alternative is of course to actually fix the gstreamer includes)11:43
=== siti [n=siti@clix-jaquesmartin-nz.cpe.clix.net.nz] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== _cerbero_ [n=jga@pD9E635F0.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== stub [n=stub@ppp-] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== IanC26 [n=IanC26@2002:908b:a514:4:216:6fff:fe39:ff6e] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ivoks__ [n=ivoks@vipnet247-164.mobile.carnet.hr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== gouki_ is now known as gouki
=== IanC26 [n=IanC26@2002:908b:a5c4:4:216:6fff:fe39:ff6e] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== axxo [n=axxo@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
fabbioneOH GREAT12:07
fabbioneFTBFS missing B-D12:09
fabbionei hate when i make that mistake12:09
Hobbseesoren: how's https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mysql-dfsg-5.0/+bug/119075 going?12:09
ubotuLaunchpad bug 119075 in mysql-dfsg-5.0 "Root password policy for mysql" [High,Confirmed] 12:09
sorenHobbsee: Um... I think it's blocking on me now, I'm afraid. I talked to upstream (MySQL, not Debian) and they marked it as wishlist with a note that I should not expect anything to happen anytime soon.12:11
Hobbseesoren: right - so i should remilestone to sometime later?12:11
=== stdin [i=stdin@unaffiliated/binary2k2] has joined #ubuntu-devel
infinitypitti: Testing now, but the wrapper should DTRT.12:22
pittiinfinity: \o/12:22
infinitysoren: Note that I am Debian MySQL upstream, if you wanted to discuss that one with "upstream". :P12:28
soreninfinity: Oh, no. :)12:29
=== Trewas [n=ilonen@raato.lut.fi] has joined #ubuntu-devel
soreninfinity: You've read the bug report?12:30
infinitysoren: The end of the bug log seemed to imply it was blocking on discussing with Debian.12:30
soreninfinity: As I just said to Hobbsee, I decided to go directly to MySQL.12:30
infinitysoren: And since I don't se Christian or Sean onling, that leaves me. :)12:30
soreninfinity: Who apparantly found that their current methods for doing this were just fine. :(12:30
infinitysoren: Hrm, I'm not sure there's a "proper" solution from MySQL AB, really... They never seemed to mind installing the daemon with an empty root password.12:31
infinitysoren: It's always been up to distributors to figure out how to deal with that, if we cared.12:31
soreninfinity: Alright. the major difficulty is that we don't like having clear text passwords lying around in text files.12:31
infinityIn the case of MySQL, we have one anyway. :)12:32
infinityAnd without completely rethinking the upgrade process, we'll continue to have the debian-sys-maint user for a while.12:32
soreninfinity: I know, and we (pitti and I) want to lose that.12:32
infinitysoren: We could try to rework things so maintainer scripts use --skip-grant to do everything, but that involves bouncing the daemon more times, that's all.12:33
infinitysoren: Certainly, any such drastic changes, I would like to discuss to the level where we can be happy putting it in Debian's SVN as well.12:34
soreninfinity: Yeah, and that sucks too. The perfect solution would be to patch the mysql-server to just grant (system) root full access.12:35
infinitysoren: This level of maintainer sciprt forking gets ugly. :)12:35
soreninfinity: Agreed.12:35
pittiinfinity: I agree; there's nothing you can hide from root anyway, so 'sudo mysql ...' should just do things without password12:36
infinitysoren: Surely, we'd want to grant access to the controlling user, not to root.12:36
pittiso the password should initially be disabled, and the admin needs to 'sudo mysqladmin set-password' or so12:36
infinity(This is what postgres does, isn't it?  The postgres user has full access)12:36
pittiinfinity: right, s/root/mysql server system user/12:37
infinityBut not hardcoded, actual controlling user (so, if I start a mysql instance as adconrad, I get full access to my little daemon)12:37
infinityI wouldn't be against such a patch, by any stretch.12:37
infinityIt would make postgres admins happy, I suspect, to have similar behavior. :)12:38
pittiand would make the entire 'password in file' and debian-sys-maint fiddling unnecessary, too12:39
infinityYeah, obviously.12:39
=== viviersf [n=cain@gw.impilinux.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
infinityHaving an "rm -f /etc/mysql/debian-sys-maint" in a future maintainer script won't hurt my feelings any.12:39
soreninfinity: Good point. Yes, "if the connecting user is the same as the user the particular mysql instance is running as, grant full access" is what we want.12:39
infinitypitti: Latest i386 ubuntu image looks good again.12:42
pittiinfinity: thanks muchly!12:42
soreninfinity: I just don't think my C++ fu is strong enough to have a go at it right now. I'd need quite a bit of time.12:42
infinitypitti: Feel free to smack me at allhands for being ssh-retarded. :)12:42
pittipfft, I'll mention your quick solution rather :)12:42
infinitysoren: My general rule is "if your C++ is weak, make mvo do it"... But I get the impression he's overworked lately (perhaps due to that very rule)12:43
Hobbseeinfinity: or find someone else good with c++, and make them do it12:43
=== Spads [i=spacehob@unaffiliated/spads] has joined #ubuntu-devel
infinitysoren: I can certainly look at it this week when I find some "RT is cleaned out and I'm bored" time.12:43
=== Hobbsee wonders why the world keeps randomly spinning
infinityHobbsee: Vodka.12:43
Hobbseeoh, was that it.  right.12:44
infinitysoren: Care to transpose the relevant bits of this converation into the bug as some sort of pseudo-spec about just what we'd like to see happen here?12:45
infinitysoren: Cause the last few comments in the bug still seem to be hinging on --skip-grant ugliness.  I do prefer this EUID==connectingUser concept.12:45
soreninfinity: Will do.12:45
infinitysoren: With any luck, some keener will step up and fix it for us before I have a chance to find free time to look at it. :)12:46
infinitysoren: Otherwise, I'm sure I can sell it to Christian and Sean, and one of the three of us should be able to find time.12:46
infinitypitti: If terranova gives you any more grief, let me know.  Writing ssh wrappers in shell is a big no-no, but it's a secured network with a know good set (or set of good?) users, so whatever. :)12:48
viviersfBenC, ping12:51
soreninfinity: That would rock!12:55
pittiStevenK: oh, http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/NBS/ is up to date, btw12:55
dholbachwho could I assign bug 125336 to? who is the udev 'maintainer' nowadays?12:55
ubotuLaunchpad bug 125336 in udev "typo KERNEl in rules.d/20-names.rules" [Undecided,New]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/12533612:55
infinitysoren: No promises about such rocking occuring, you understand, that was with my Debian hat on, not my Canonical hat.12:55
pittiStevenK: sorry, forgot to tell you; I also increased the regeneration frequency to 4 times per day12:55
infinitysoren: But I will talk it over with them.12:56
=== pbn [i=pbn@wopr.geekshells.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dholbachok, I'll assign to keybuk12:56
fabbionedholbach: Scott... but if it's urgent i can look at it now12:56
dholbachno, I doubt it - it's just one of the bugs out of the review queue12:56
fabbionedev/raw... i don't think it's really wildly used but the patch is right12:57
dholbachbut thanks fabbione12:57
dholbachI'll assign you a different one ;-)12:57
fabbionedholbach: you can just upload that.. really.. udev is not maintained in bzr or anything12:57
soreninfinity: Sure, sure. Got it.12:57
fabbionedholbach: just make sure to tell me before... my LP income mail is too huge to notice12:57
pittidholbach: is there a way to find all bugs assigned to me which came from sponsoring requests?12:58
dholbachpitti: hrm, no, not really12:59
=== rodarvus [n=rodarvus@ubuntu/member/rodarvus] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== raphink [i=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jdstrand [n=james@mail.strandboge.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
StevenKpitti: Way cool.01:17
slomopitti: that -Werror must come from somewhere else... only gstreamer cvs is built with -Werror and then it's not in the pkgconfig files01:17
slomopitti: maybe g-p-m development releases have this?01:17
BenCviviersf: pong01:18
pittidholbach: ^ ?01:18
StevenKpitti: Did you manage to corner iwj?01:18
pittihey BenC01:18
pittiStevenK: not yet, but he's alive now :)01:18
dholbachpitti: I don't know01:18
=== cassidy [n=cassidy@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
slomopitti: can you give me a patch for the gstreamer includes and i get it upstream... no idea what this warning means :)01:18
pittiiwj: what were your concerns about the mutagen MIR?01:18
dholbachhum, ogra isn't around01:18
iwjpitti: Let me look again.01:19
StevenKRiddell: Ping, about kdepimlibs4{,-dev} NBS.01:19
RiddellStevenK: what about it?01:19
BenChey pitti01:19
BenCpitti: I should have draft of kernel-updates policy today01:19
StevenKRiddell: Do you need to throw a bunch of rebuilds up?01:20
StevenKEr, need me to01:20
viviersfBenC, we can still get new driver support into gutsy right ?01:20
pittiBenC: were the modifications that I did ok for you?01:20
RiddellStevenK: what of?  everythig kde 4 has been rebuilt last week01:20
iwjpitti: Looks like it's fixed.  The review report was incomplete.01:20
BenCpitti: I haven't reviewed them completely, but I'm pretty sure they are01:20
BenCviviersf: in lum, yeah01:20
iwjpitti: Shall I deal with it again ?01:20
StevenKRiddell: kde4pim and kdepimlibs4-dev still Depend on kdepimlibs4.01:21
slomopitti: do you understand the warning?01:21
StevenKRiddell: And it looks like kdepim4 failed to build on ia64, based on the NBS output.01:21
pittiiwj: ah, nice; it looked quite complete to me, so I wondered01:21
pittislomo: not really01:21
slomopitti: good :)01:21
StevenKiwj, pitti: Ah. That was me a few days finishing it off.01:21
pittiiwj: if you have time to review it again, that would be much appreciated01:21
RiddellStevenK: everything has failed on ia64, I'm not that bothered myself01:22
viviersfBenC, the new dell notebooks has intel 4965 wireless network card and isnt supported in gutsy. Where do i file the issue again to get the driver in ?01:22
iwjpitti: On it.01:22
BenCviviersf: already a known issue, rtg is getting the iwlwifi driver prepared for lum this week I hope01:22
iwjStevenK: Right.  We were just a bit confused because it found its way into the approval queue before it was finished.01:22
viviersfBenC, cool thanks01:23
BenCviviersf: no need to file a bug01:23
BenCviviersf: if you could stay in contact with rtg, that'd be great, because we'll need testers01:23
StevenKiwj: Ah. That's curious. I didn't move its place in the queue, just checked that it was in there.01:23
=== doviende [n=pete@h24-207-76-94.cst.dccnet.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dholbach_ [n=daniel@pD9E2454E.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
viviersfBenC, cool ill do that01:28
viviersfwhos rtg ?01:28
=== jordi [n=jordi@115.Red-213-96-69.staticIP.rima-tde.net] has left #ubuntu-devel []
infinitypitti: We don't want OpenOffice on powerpc anyway, do we?01:28
BenCviviersf: Tim Gardner, kernel-team01:28
infinitypitti: I'll just P-a-s it out!01:28
viviersfBenC, cool ta01:29
cjwatsoninfinity: *blink*01:29
=== keyes [n=keyes@easyubuntu/keyes] has joined #ubuntu-devel
infinitycjwatson: (that was sarcasm)01:30
pittiinfinity: I'm not sure, so far it worked; I never really used it except for opening some files sent around by email :)01:30
pittiinfinity: I'm really stunned, though; nothing significant changed since the last build01:30
=== StevenK idly wishes a few upstreams would get off their collective backsides and fix their projects to build against new versions of certain libraries.
cjwatsoninfinity: (I know)01:31
viviersfBenC, you know about sata not working on dell D630 ?01:31
BenCviviersf: no, do you know what chipset it is?01:32
infinitypitti: The moon phase changed.  That's about all it takes to upset OOo.01:32
viviersfBenC, just trying to find out01:32
infinitypitti: Also, there was a new upstream version...01:34
infinityopenoffice.org | 2.2.0-1ubuntu3 |         gutsy | powerpc01:34
mjg59D630 is 965gm01:34
infinityopenoffice.org | 2.2.1-5ubuntu3 |         gutsy | source, amd64, i386, sparc01:34
=== TeTeT [n=spindler@modemcable178.77-70-69.static.videotron.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
infinitypitti: powerpc hasn't built since 2.2.001:34
infinitypitti: In fact, it hasn't built since gutsy opened, so one could blame any number of factors.01:35
pittioh, oops01:35
viviersfBenC, mjg59 actually its the cdrom that doesnt work so it should be ide01:35
infinitypitti: This would be the part where the OOo people and the toolchain people get to point fingers for a week until someone notices the "DONT_STALL_BUILD" variable in debian/rules is set to "0" on powerpc.01:36
=== StevenK gets tempted to build asterisk-spandsp-plugins from alioth SVN.
infinityStevenK: As tempted as you are to try an OOo build on PPC and tell me why it hangs? :)01:38
StevenKinfinity: Send me one of adare, ross or royal and you've got a deal. :-P01:38
infinityRight, then.  Guess I'll do it myself. :)01:39
=== StevenK chuckles
=== infinity offlines adare.
StevenKinfinity: While you're paying attention, why is vivies marked as MANUAL for LiveCDs? Sparc doesn't have live CDs ....01:39
infinityStevenK: It's alsothe security/dak buildd.01:40
infinityStevenK: But sparc does have livefs builds, they just don't work.01:40
viviersfBenC, only info i get from lspci is intel 82801H :(01:40
=== EtienneG [n=etienne@ubuntu/member/EtienneG] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== luisbg [n=luisbg@60.Red-88-17-106.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Hobbsee....what legit use is there for a  DONT_STALL_BUILD anyway?01:52
=== Hobbsee erks. 2 hours until results.
=== agoliveira [n=adilson@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
infinityHobbsee: It was a joke, there's no such variable...02:00
infinityEvidently, my Monday morning sense of humor is lost on some. :)02:00
Hobbseeinfinity: quite possibly.  then again, iirc, there's a BSD call, asking if the machine is on fire, so...02:01
StevenKActually, the line printer code returns 'on fire' if it gets back an error from the printer.02:02
StevenKSo you might see 'lp0 on fire?' in dmesg.02:03
Hobbseeokay, so strangely named variables/functions...what i said still applies.02:03
sorencjwatson: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-auto-lvm/+bug/126328   <--- I've still got the error message showing in my vmware instance. Do you need any more debug info?02:04
ubotuLaunchpad bug 126328 in partman-auto-lvm "swap volume fails to mount" [Undecided,New] 02:04
cjwatsonsoren: /var/log/syslog, /var/log/partman02:06
cjwatsonthe message is just partman-target/mount_failed02:06
=== aquo [n=aquo@dslb-088-073-214-149.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonwith luck there's an error from swapon in the syslog02:07
aquohi i have some problems with Network-Manager02:07
aquoit is no problem to connect to my home network with commandline tools wpa_supplicant and dhclient ...02:08
aquobut with network manager it doesn't work02:08
sorencjwatson: Surprisingly, no.02:09
aquoJul 16 14:04:15 cayley NetworkManager: <information>^Iwpa_supplicant(6005): WPA: No WPA/RSN IE available from association info02:09
aquoJul 16 14:04:15 cayley NetworkManager: <information>^IActivation (ath0) failed for access point (bp3aGnZo)02:09
aquoJul 16 14:04:15 cayley NetworkManager: <information>^IActivation (ath0) failed.02:09
sorencjwatson: Quite the opposite, actually.02:09
sorencjwatson: Jul 16 14:00:34 kernel: [  438.154245]  Adding 401400k swap on /dev/mapper/ubuntulvmtest-swap_1.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:401400k02:09
sorencjwatson: I'll upload the log files.02:09
=== chand| [n=rsamson@linagoraberri.pck.nerim.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
aquocjwatson: i gave up remastering an ubuntu live cd, there seem to be files that are not available for public02:11
=== dungbv [n=dungbv@hoas-fe2ddd00-37.dhcp.inet.fi] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sorenaquo: Huh? What are you missing?02:13
sorencjwatson: I've just suspended the vm. If you need anything from it, just shout.02:14
cjwatsonsoren: can you fish out a tarball of /var/lib/partman somehow? (you might need to get a proper tar from somewhere)02:16
sorencjwatson: Sure.02:16
aquosoren: can't remember, i think something like a minimal images02:16
=== Nusky [n=neworder@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sorencjwatson: It's the current daily server CD, by the way.02:16
aquoi purged all the files, was too hard for me02:17
aquoi tried to rebuild cdimage server and service, but didn't work02:17
sorenaquo: You should have everything needed to build a livecd available.02:18
cjwatsonaquo: it's all available. The last piece, the livecd-rootfs package, was uploaded to the gutsy archive recently02:19
aquoso i will retry after the exams next week02:19
cjwatsonaquo: but it is definitely "some assembly required" and requires some skill and time to put together02:19
=== Tonio_ [n=tonio@linagoraberri.pck.nerim.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zul [n=chuck@ubuntu/member/zul] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hggdh [n=hggdh@154.sub-70-216-207.myvzw.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ryanakcacjwatson: morning... erm, I have a couple questions regarding LVM in the Kubuntu Alternate installer (Bug?) to quote #kubuntu-devel earlier:02:20
aquocjwatson: normally no problem for me, i am used to build distributions, i have an large own scriptset to build special distribuition for embedded and arm ...02:20
aquocjwatson: but at the moment there are lots of exams, today i had exam in signal coding, convolution codes, viterbi, huffmann ...02:21
ryanakcashould the installer try to mount swap? http://pastebin.ca/621144 , If so, I'll file a bug saying that it02:21
ryanakcarepeatedly fails, if not, I'll file a bug against debian-installer saying that it tries to mount swap02:21
Hobbseecjwatson: ^02:22
sorenryanakca: I've just reported this :)02:22
sorenryanakca: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-auto-lvm/+bug/12632802:22
ubotuLaunchpad bug 126328 in partman-auto-lvm "swap volume fails to mount" [Undecided,New] 02:22
=== allee [n=ach@lapex-mcallee.mpe.mpg.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonryanakca: FWIW "mount swap" just means "run the mount.d script for swap" in this case which more or less equates to swapon. It doesn't literally mean /bin/mount.02:23
ryanakcacjwatson: ok02:23
ryanakcacjwatson: and, in an LVM, you don't need to worry about primary/logical partitions, right? If not, why is it that I can only create one partition in my LVM before the rest of the space becomes 'Unusable'?02:25
=== blackskad [n=blackska@d54C4A53D.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ryanakcathe only way around it I've found is to create LVM, go back, and select 'guided partition a whole disk', select the LVM, and then modify/delete the created partitions in the LVM manually02:27
cjwatsonryanakca: create multiple LVs for that; LVs aren't partitionable and each single LV can only hold one filesystem02:27
ryanakcaah, ok02:27
cjwatsonthe display is a little bit confusing02:27
cjwatsonthe "Configure the Logical Volume Manager" menu entry should help02:27
=== ryanakca nods
ryanakcaok, thanks :)02:29
ryanakcacjwatson: if you shouldn't partition disks, maybe find a way to remove LVM from the 'guided partition a whole disk' menu.02:30
=== ryanakca can file a wishlist bug...
aquoi hate network manager.02:30
ryanakcas/partition disks,/partition lvms,/02:30
pittiStevenK: mutagen promoted, thanks to iwj's approval02:31
StevenKpitti: Great, thanks.02:31
StevenKpitti: In that case, I'll prepare a bunch of rebuilds to be uploaded in the morning.02:33
=== jikanter [n=jordan@Leapfrog-Online-1143628.cust-rtr.ameritech.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonryanakca: what? I think you've misunderstood me02:37
=== xxxxx1 [n=xxxxx1@44125.static.fln.virtua.com.br] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonryanakca: given a single logical volume on the partitioning menu, you can only get one filesystem (partition-equivalent) into it. That doesn't mean you can't have as many LVs as you like on a disk, nor that it doesn't make sense to partition a whole disk into LVM-style pieces.02:38
fabbionezul: hey dude...02:39
fabbionezul: what's the reason why you dropped xen-3.1 from amd64?02:39
fabbionezul: is it possible to build userland without kernel?02:39
pittifabbione: might just have been a packaging error; the amd64 binaries were completely empty and thus rejected02:40
fabbionepitti: it's possible, i just need to know because a change there is propagated up in the stack with libvirt and cluster02:41
fabbionepitti: i don't want to end up having to run behind amd64 yes, amd64 no, amd64 probably... till release02:41
zulfabbione: we dont have an amd64 xen enabled kernel yet should be fixed soon02:41
fabbionezul: what stops you to build userland without a kernel?02:42
fabbionezul: if you can still build userland, i suggest you keep doing it.. otherwise it's  a pain for all stuff that B-D on xen02:42
zulfabbione: it doesnt but its not very useful without a kernel though02:42
Mithrandirzul: people routinely compile their own kernels.02:43
zulfabbione: sure ill upload one tonight02:43
fabbionezul: it does or it doesn't?02:43
Mithrandirespecially since the one in edgy for instance is completely useless on amd64.02:43
fabbionezul: useful or not, we can't keep changing packages on top...02:43
fabbionezul: the kernel might be solved by release02:43
zulfabbione: ill fix it  tonight02:44
fabbionezul: but we can avoid to upload a few packages everything it changes02:44
fabbioneok thanks02:44
ryanakcacjwatson: no I understood you, but I'll explain later, I need to run :)02:44
fabbione(and please make sure it builds.. libvirt upload you did, did not build)02:44
=== calc [n=ccheney@conr-adsl-209-169-124-200.consolidated.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittihello calc02:54
calcpitti: hi02:54
ScottKcjwatson: When you have a moment, I'd like to discuss a source backport with you.  Jdong has reviewed/approved and told me to discuss with you.02:55
Hobbseehi calc.  you will not be murdered today.  by me, at least.02:55
=== jinty [n=jinty@145.Red-83-56-156.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
calcHobbsee: great :)02:57
cjwatsonScottK: does it need discussion, or just to be done?02:57
Hobbseecalc: still, when my next .doc corrupts via openoffice, and it cant be recovered, then you may not be so lucky :P02:58
aquoha, i finally found the right bug for my problem, and again a kernel problem ...02:58
ubotuLaunchpad bug 50214 in network-manager "can't connect to hidden network" [Undecided,Confirmed] 02:58
ScottKcjwatson: For dapper just done, for Edgy, not sure how to proceed.02:58
cjwatsonScottK: what's the problem?02:58
StevenKHobbsee: I note the 'when', not 'if'...02:59
ScottKThe issue is backporting clamav 0.88.7 while we work the rdepends for clamav 0.9x.02:59
aquonot just that drm is not working for savage, no  ... wireless interfaces is also compiled in wrong way02:59
calcHobbsee: heh :\02:59
ScottKDapper needs source changes (I have a package).02:59
ScottKEdgy can use what WAS in Feisty unmodified, but has been superceded and so isnt' in the archive.02:59
HobbseeStevenK: heh.  well, if people stopped insisting on sending me .doc files, and sent in a free format instead, then that'd make me happier.  i could just save as .odt, but i usually have to send them *back* as .doc, so get stuck.02:59
cjwatsonScottK: what version exactly? we can probably resurrect it03:00
=== eggauah [n=daniel@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ScottKcjwatson: clamav 0.88.7-1ubuntu103:00
=== seb128 [n=seb@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ScottKcjwatson: For Edgy it's Bug #8306503:01
ubotuLaunchpad bug 83065 in edgy-backports "Please backport clamav 0.88.7-1ubuntu1 to edgy from feisty" [High,Incomplete]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/8306503:01
=== PriceChild [n=pricechi@ubuntu/member/pricechild] has joined #ubuntu-devel
HobbseeScottK: so the decision was to backport the entire thing?  cool03:02
ScottKFor dapper, do I dput to dapper-backports and you accept it?03:02
ScottKHobbsee: Yes.  Ugly details at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Clamav03:02
cjwatsonScottK: no, you need a core-dev sponsor03:02
=== sbalneav [n=sbalneav@mail.legalaid.mb.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonotherwise it will simply be rejected, unless I misremember the code03:03
ScottKOK.  I can give you a url for the Dapper source package.03:03
cjwatsonplease, no, not me03:03
=== maniacmusician [n=maniacmu@24-151-1-004.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
StevenKScottK: Point me at it, I'm happy to test build, and upload.03:04
ScottKStevenK: Thanks.  Gimme a sec for the url.03:04
=== Hobbsee watches cjwatson engulf himself in the SEP cloud again
=== gutera [n=gutera@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ScottKStevenK: http://www.kitterman.com/clamav/clamav_0.88.7-1ubuntu1~dapper.dsc03:05
sbalneavseb128: bug #122544, I posted a patch.03:05
ubotuLaunchpad bug 122544 in nbd "nbd-server crashed with SIGSEGV" [Medium,Incomplete]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/12254403:05
HobbseeScottK: sounds reasonably sane.  and ugly03:05
ScottKStevenK: Bug #74216 is the bug in question for that.  May I assign it to you?03:05
ubotuLaunchpad bug 74216 in dapper-backports "clamav in dapper-backports vulnerable" [Undecided,New]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/7421603:05
HobbseeScottK: btw - i presume you saw that the new clamav has a bug filed against it already, about upgrading or removing it?  i dont remember which03:06
ScottKHobbsee: I liked make an alternate package and don't whine about what it breaks a lot better, but here we are.03:06
seb128sbalneav: nice, subscribe the sponsor team if you want03:06
HobbseeScottK: true.  it's backports, so it's not supported anyway03:06
=== StevenK digs around for a Dapper chroot.
ScottKHobbsee: I do get all the clamav bugs.  I saw the one about the upgrade.  I think he got bit by the related kernel bug that was fixed in 22-8.03:07
ScottKHobbsee: I agree it's not 'supported', but I still like to avoid breaking people's systems.03:08
StevenKAh! Found it.03:08
=== StevenK blows the dust off of it.
HobbseeScottK: oh, true that03:08
sbalneavseb128: Thx, joined.03:08
ScottKcjwatson: While StevenK is looking at Dapper, is there anything additional I need to do for the Edgy backport (which just needs to be found)?03:10
=== jwendell [n=wendell@ubuntu/member/wendell] has joined #ubuntu-devel
StevenKScottK: Builds fine, just looking at a upgrade.03:16
StevenKScottK: Okay, looks fine to me.03:20
StevenKcjwatson: Will I need to include the orig in the upload to -backports?03:20
ScottKGreat.  This is very good.03:20
persia StevenK: about bug 124900: Would you mind the libgpod task being used additionally to track the progress of that package (with Fix Committed), rather than Invalid?03:20
ubotuLaunchpad bug 124900 in libgpod "Please sync gtkpod-0.99.10, libgpod-0.5.2 from debian unstable" [Wishlist,Invalid]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/12490003:20
StevenKpersia: I don't mind.03:21
seb128persia: I did upload libgpod 0.5.2 on friday03:23
=== jono [n=jono@ubuntu/member/jono] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonScottK: no, I'm just hacking up scripts to let me backport from random stuff I've downloaded from the librarian; there's nothing you need to do03:24
cjwatsonStevenK: I think so; shouldn't hurt to do so, anyway03:24
ScottKcjwatson: OK.  Great.  Should I assign the bug for that backport to you?03:24
=== ryu [n=chris@unaffiliated/ryu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonScottK: whatever, it's not necessary but if it makes you feel better ...03:25
persiaseb128: Right.  LucidFox has a bug open for a transition plan (still needs main for kipi-plugins), and I wanted to keep using that bug to track it to help know when it was time to apply all the patches / sync requests for the new build, rather than leaving it Invalid, and perhaps missing a bit (or later catching it in NBS).03:25
=== ScottK won't bother.
StevenKpersia: I was planning on uploading six uploads in a few hours for the gpod transistion.03:26
seb128persia: I'm not sure I understand what the bug is about, updating libgpod has been fixed03:26
=== cr3 [n=marc@modemcable178.77-70-69.static.videotron.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
seb128persia: I would prefer not to mail flood main sponsor with other discussions on this bug03:27
persiaStevenK: In that case, I won't get back to LucidFox to track it :)  Everything was tested, and built fine, except that a new version of gtkpod was requested.03:27
StevenKpersia: Right. I'm waiting for the new libgpod to get built, which should happen soonish, and then for it to clear NEW.03:27
persiaseb128: Sorry.  I realise that main sponsors and universe sponsors lists are tracked a little differently, but just wanted to make sure things worked smoothly.  I'll leave it alone from now.03:28
persiaStevenK: OK.  I've just been chasing this on the other side, so wasn't sure.  Thanks.03:28
seb128persia: there is no main sponsor list, you mail every sponsor every time you add a comment03:28
=== mvo [n=egon@global-int-fw1.net.bgfl.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
persiaseb128: Ah.  That's really good to know.  Thanks.03:29
seb128hey mvo03:29
=== mvo is not here
=== seb128 neither
Hobbseehello not here, then.03:30
StevenKYou're remarkably talkative for someone not here03:30
=== keyes [n=keyes@easyubuntu/keyes] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mvohey Hobbsee, StevenK and seb12803:30
=== StevenK waves to mvo
cjwatsonScottK: done03:31
ScottKcjwatson: Thanks.  Just got the accept mail.03:31
=== StevenK gets out and pushes this upload himself.
StevenKOh, that'd be why. The bloody orig tarball is 9Mb.03:32
Hobbseegotta love the au shoestring.03:32
ScottKYeah.  Be glad it's not a 0.9x version.  That one goes to 11.03:32
StevenKAh. The Spinal Tap release of clamav.03:33
=== StevenK hides.
ScottKNo need to hide.  It was on purpose.03:33
StevenKcjwatson, ScottK: clamav uploaded.03:35
ScottKStevenK: Thanks.03:35
ScottKStevenK: I got the accept for that too.03:35
=== agoliveira is now known as agoliveira_BRB
=== Zdra [n=zdra@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== StevenK idly wonders how long a depwait'd build takes to retry
ScottKcjwatson: I take it from your comment on the Edgy clamav bug that "Can I backport this thing that used to be in the repos, but got superceded" is not a question I should ask very often?03:38
=== Hobbsee rofl's at the comment
=== ScottK appreciates the effort. It's a good upgrade for people running the older releases.
=== gnomefreak [n=gnomefre@ubuntu/member/gnomefreak] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== BenC [n=bcollins@debian/developer/bcollins] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonScottK: that's correct03:47
cjwatsonat least until we make the script a bit smarter03:47
ScottKOK.  Thanks again.  I think it's an important backport.03:47
ScottKIt should have been dealt with during Feisty when it was in the repos.  Glad we could get it taken care of now.03:47
=== agoliveira_BRB is now known as agoliveira
=== mathiaz [n=mathiaz@modemcable178.77-70-69.static.videotron.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittihi mathiaz03:54
mathiazpitti: hi03:54
=== fdoving [n=frode@edge.lnix.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
siretartcan someone please give-back freemind?04:03
pittisiretart: done04:03
StevenKpitti: libgpod should have hit the NEW queue. Are you able to poke it?04:07
pittiI am04:09
cjwatsonpitti: would you be able to do an updated merge of dhcp3? I'd like to switch the installer from dhcp to dhcp3, and there are some relevant changes in unstable that we don't have yet04:10
cjwatsonI was about to try to do it myself, but there are a LOT of Ubuntu changes04:10
pitticjwatson: yes, I can do that; right, that'll take a while04:11
=== BenC [n=bcollins@debian/developer/bcollins] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonpitti: thanks04:11
StevenKOuch! A screenful.04:12
=== StevenK ponders. Waiting 45 minutes until 1am to upload six rebuilds, or doing them when he gets up at 8.
pittiStevenK: libgpod NEWed04:14
StevenKpitti: Ahh, thanks04:14
pittiStevenK: or fix the build deps for packages which are modified anyway04:16
=== gnomefreak [n=gnomefre@ubuntu/member/gnomefreak] has joined #ubuntu-devel
StevenKDamn, he slipped through my fingers.04:18
=== pitti [n=pitti@ubuntu/member/pitti] has joined #ubuntu-devel
StevenKpitti: Fix the build deps? The -dev package name didn't change...04:20
pittiStevenK: but the version04:20
pitti>= (1.2.3)04:20
=== freeflying [n=freeflyi@ubuntu/member/freeflying] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== movi [n=movi@qb34.internetdsl.tpnet.pl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
movii think i have a bug against linux-source-2.6.22-generic04:24
movibut id rather talk about it here first, can i?04:24
StevenKpitti: I'm just wondering about your rationale.04:24
pittiStevenK: with this you can upload everything right now and have the buildds sort out the depwait themselves04:25
StevenKLet's do that04:25
pittiStevenK: doesn't work so well for -buildN versions, of course04:26
StevenKTwo of them will be.04:27
=== agoliveira is now known as agoliveira_lunch
=== mbiebl [n=michael@e180071033.adsl.alicedsl.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti summons mvo back
sorenMithrandir: You plan on doing a bit of source NEW queue processing today?04:32
Hobbseepitti: good luck with that04:32
Mithrandirsoren: no, I'm at guadec with spotty network coverage.04:33
sorenMithrandir: Oh, I see.04:33
sorenMithrandir: Carry on then. :)04:34
sorenmovi: #ubuntu-bugs or #ubuntu-kernel are likely to be better options. The former being the preferred one if you're not entirely sure it's a kernel bug.04:35
infinitysoren: I might touch source NEW at some point today.  Anything in particular you wanted looked at?04:36
soreninfinity: storm, please.04:37
soreninfinity: That would be much appreciated.04:38
StevenKpitti: Right. Thanks for the suggestion, 4 of the six uploaded, I'll do the other two when I get up, since they're simple -Xbuild1 and I'd rather keep them that way.04:40
infinitysoren: I'll poke it in ~15 mins.04:41
soreninfinity: Wicked. Thanks!04:41
=== mthaddon [n=mthaddon@canonical/launchpad/mthaddon] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== carlos [n=carlos@canonical/launchpad/carlos] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mvo [n=egon@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti yays mvo
=== mvo waves to pitti
Hobbseeyay, mvo!04:56
=== aquo [n=aquo@dslb-088-073-214-149.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Hobbseeinfinity: were you the one who poked freemind?04:57
pittiHobbsee: I gave it back04:57
Hobbseepitti: it needs infinity's love.04:58
aquoasac: i update on one of the bugs that are assigned to you04:58
Hobbsee(requires the java agreement to be accepted)04:58
aquoasac: https://bugs.launchpad.net/baltix/+source/knetworkmanager/+bug/50214/comments/3804:58
ubotuLaunchpad bug 50214 in network-manager "can't connect to hidden network" [Undecided,Confirmed] 04:58
asacaquo: which one?04:58
aquoasac: network manager, can't connect to hidden network04:58
asacaquo: whats your idea?04:59
asacpitti: can i push firefox security preview for dapper to proposed or something?04:59
pittiasac: we can do that, but I wouldn't normally recommend that approach05:00
pittiasac: I'd prefer if you could upload it to a PPA?05:00
=== mvo [n=egon@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
asacpitti: we won't get any testing there05:01
pittimvo: you lost my /msg apparently05:01
pittimvo: I mailed the log to you05:01
asacpitti: i can push them somewhere ... just looking for a place with a bit more automatic exposure05:01
pittiasac: well, if you want, you can use -proposed, too05:01
pittiasac: once everything built, we can copy it to -security05:01
pittiasac: that'll need keescook's ok for getting the md5sum list, though05:02
aquoasac: i am not sure at the moment, i think there wont be any way to change libiw28 on feisty, but maybe it is possible to write a patch for network manager.05:03
pitticjwatson: hm, the actual merge works, but the udeb is currently busted because it does not have the derooting infrastructure05:04
=== movi [n=movi@qb34.internetdsl.tpnet.pl] has left #ubuntu-devel []
aquoasac: the kernel, wireless tools and libiw28 are carved into stone i think05:04
asacaquo: i don't understand ... how should network-manager workaround a driver problem?05:04
infinityHobbsee: Eww.05:05
Hobbseeinfinity: yeah.05:05
infinityHobbsee: Wasn't that meant to be resolved in the last year?05:05
pitticjwatson: I don't really want to put it there, so it'll take me some 30 minutes to have a more sane fallback05:06
Hobbseeinfinity: i'm not sure.  was a sync from debian05:06
mvopitti: thanks, network is very unstable here05:06
pittimvo: got my mail? do you get that, too? does the session-save thing provide a clue?05:06
infinityHobbsee: Oh, it's the Sun Java 5 stuff that's had that fixed, the old Blackdown packages haven't....05:07
sorenasac: I believe certain other distros have some patches for network-manager that passes interesting options to wpa_supplicant based on the driver the device is using.05:07
infinityHobbsee: Any chance it could be updated to build-dep (and build with) a java that's not a decade old?05:07
mvo pittiI haven't looked to closely yet, but I got the mail. I will try to find seb to talk about it05:07
sorenasac: I used to have a patch like that for madwifi-ng, too.05:07
mvopitti: I strongly suspect gnome-session here05:07
Hobbseeinfinity: probably.  i wonder if there's a new debian version.  i'll look into it, anyway05:07
infinityHobbsee: Well, accepting license agreements in buildd chroots isn't something I'm keen to do. :)05:08
aquoasac: i don't know, have to analyze the code05:08
cjwatsonpitti: ok, thanks05:08
Hobbseeinfinity: obviously :)05:08
=== jono [n=jono@ubuntu/member/jono] has joined #ubuntu-devel
infinitysoren: Accepted.05:12
soreninfinity: Rock! thanks!05:13
=== soren calls it a day
sorenCheers, guys.05:14
=== j_ack [n=j_ack@p508D859F.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
iwjHmm, surely it can't really be the case that by chance the alphabetically first source package in gutsy main (acpi) is FTBFS ?05:15
infinityDoesn't look FTBFS to me...05:18
pitticjwatson: uploaded; it's not pretty, but works for me; please let me know if it causes trouble05:20
pitticjwatson: not pretty> you get two confusing, but harmless warnings during the run05:20
=== jono [n=jono@ubuntu/member/jono] has joined #ubuntu-devel
iwj`Dependency is not satisfiable: automaken' but perhaps this is a bug in my test setup.05:23
infinityYour test setup may not like build-deps on virtual packages.05:23
infinityOur sbuild is slightly more forgiving than that.05:24
=== Zero [n=jota@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
iwjYou're right, that would seem to be the problem.  I'm sure that it used to be discouraged to just list a virtual package like that.05:26
iwjBut the current version of Debian policy 7.4 seems to say it's optional to list a real package to define a default.05:26
=== carlos [n=carlos@canonical/launchpad/carlos] has joined #ubuntu-devel
iwjmvo: ^05:27
=== persia [n=persia@ubuntu/member/persia] has left #ubuntu-devel []
iwjI'm using gdebi to satisfy the build-depends and it can't cope if only a virtual package name is given.05:28
mvoiwj: oh - I can fix that for you05:28
iwjThanks :-).05:28
iwjMy test case is the build-deps for acpi; I can provide a recipe for reproduction if you want.05:29
=== hggdh [n=hggdh@154.sub-70-216-207.myvzw.com] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== Kano32 [n=ubuntu@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mvoiwj: do you have a good example package? was that acpi?05:29
Kano32hi, just tested latest daily snapshot on intel g33.05:29
mvoiwj: thanks, I hope that this is good enough (using acpi)05:29
mvoiwj: how urgent is it? I'm at guadec currently05:29
Kano32basically it is ok, just one major package is missing: libgl1-mesa-dri05:30
iwjNot very.05:30
Kano32without it no 3d05:30
iwjDo you want me to file a bug ?05:30
=== finalbeta [n=gggggggg@d54C6865D.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiKano32: again? *sigh*05:30
Kano32tested kubuntu amd6405:31
cjwatsonpitti: great, thanks05:31
Kano32also "katapult" was in the middle of the screen, dont know what the purpose of that app is..05:31
cjwatsonpitti: I'll bang it into place and see what happens :)05:32
=== agoliveira_lunch is now known as agoliveira
Kano32last thing: as network manager is preinstalled, you only need lo in the interfaces files05:33
Kano32not every possible one with auto..05:33
RiddellKano32: katapult is a known bug, I should look at it now05:33
Kano32thats what i find in 5 min ;)05:33
pittiKano32: which daily snapshot are you actually using?05:33
Kano32the current one05:33
HobbseeKano32: you're running kubuntu, then?05:33
Kano32i hate gnome,yes ;)05:34
HobbseeKano32: i386 or amd64?05:34
Kano32i always use the current urls -05:34
HobbseeKano32: katapult is close to what quicksilver is, in the OSX world.05:34
Hobbsee(but it shouldnt flash up at the start, that's a bug)05:35
Kano32hmm i did not use osx so deeply05:35
kylemdoko, around?05:35
Hobbsee!katapult | Kano3205:35
ubotuKano32: katapult is the new application launcher for KDE, to be used with applications, bookmarks, and Amarok playlists. Once you have installed, hit Alt+f2 -> katapult, then hit Alt+Space, and type what you want.05:35
Kano32so will check again latest this week05:35
=== giskard [n=giskard@213-140-22-74.fastres.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Czubek [n=Damian@host-81-190-231-35.wroclaw.mm.pl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonsoren,ryanakca: well, I've reproduced that LVM thing here, which is half the battle05:47
Hobbseeevand: ping05:49
evandHobbsee: pong05:49
Hobbseeevand: did you have an upload of the installer to go in, before the freeze tomorrow?05:49
Hobbseeevand: and did you manage to fix that gksudo/sudo bug?05:49
evandHobbsee: not unless I can fix the gksu bug before then05:50
evandnope, not yet.  Working on it though.05:50
Hobbseeevand: right, okay.  i'm happy to test out, if you think youv'e got it working05:50
evandok, that will be helpful as I'm not entirely sure the bug I've reproduced is the same one the rest of you are seeing.  I'll let you know when I have a proposed fix.05:51
Hobbseeevand: cool :)05:52
=== hunger [n=tobias@pd95b0676.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== carlos [n=carlos@canonical/launchpad/carlos] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== fbond [n=fab@pool-71-169-140-159.burl.east.verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== shiyee [n=Shiyee@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
infinitycalc: Around?06:14
=== Lure [n=lure@89-212-19-55.dynamic.dsl.t-2.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cassidy [n=cassidy@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
infinitycalc: The OOo build appears to be stuck on regcomp.bin waiting patiently for... Nothing.06:15
infinitycalc: (On powerpc)06:15
Hobbseewell, nothing's a good thing to wait for.06:17
=== agoliveira [n=adilson@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
infinityHobbsee: Not when it will be waiting forever for said nothing.06:19
Hobbseeinfinity: no, no, not forever.  gutsy will eventually EOL, and the buildd will be building for another release06:20
iwj-anarres:autopkgtest--ubuntu> cd ../autopkgtest--main06:20
iwj-anarres:autopkgtest--main> bzr pull ../autopkgtest--ubuntu06:20
iwjAll changes applied successfully.06:20
iwj-101 revision(s) pulled.06:20
=== Zdra [n=zdra@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jwendell [n=wendell@ubuntu/member/wendell] has joined #ubuntu-devel
calcinfinity: yea thats very odd06:29
cjwatsonkeescook: are you taking over devmapper from Keybuk? If so, see bug 12637906:29
ubotuLaunchpad bug 126379 in devmapper "/dev/mapper/* -> /dev/dm-* symlink scheme breaks partman-crypto" [Undecided,New]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/12637906:29
=== carlos [n=carlos@canonical/launchpad/carlos] has joined #ubuntu-devel
wasabioh man. md broken in initramfs once again.06:33
infinitycalc: That's one way of describing it.06:33
infinitycalc: It's not spinning the cpu or anything it's just hung in msgrcv() perpetually.06:34
=== mjr [i=mjr@aulis.sange.fi] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== LongPointyStick [n=mystery@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== kagou [n=kagou@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== TomB_ [n=tomb@host81-152-42-46.range81-152.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
calcinfinity: i'm going to be uploading 2.3 soon anyway :\06:56
aquoasac: what is you next action on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/5021406:56
ubotuLaunchpad bug 50214 in network-manager "can't connect to hidden network" [Undecided,Confirmed] 06:56
keescookcjwatson: he hinted at it, but hadn't said so.  126379's cause, as I understand it, will be going away.  Keybuk was doing that for debugging.06:56
infinitycalc: That may magically fix it, so by all means, upload soon. :)06:57
cjwatsonkeescook: yep, I mentioned that I knew it was temporary in the bug06:57
asacaquo: i have to understand the issue ... and if we can resolve it for real ... i mean we still don't know if anything fixes this, right?06:57
=== Hobbsee --> bed. night all.
infinitycalc: I'd rather debug failures in 2.3 than debug 2.2.1, only to find something new and differently broken in a week.06:57
cjwatsonkeescook: but no harm having a bug to note that it does actually break stuff :-)06:57
calcinfinity: exactly :)06:58
keescookcjwatson: yeah, it breaks some cryptsetup things too, and makes my "df" output unreadable.  ;)06:58
keescookwell, unfriendly, not unreadable06:58
infinitycalc: I'll just kill off my test build then, and wait for 2.3... Is there an ETA on that?06:58
aquoasac: yes, maybe it is a real network-manager bug, i read lots of code today, wpa_ctrl.c and some other things ... it is mysterious to me06:58
=== j_ack [n=j_ack@p508DA36A.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
asacyes ... its highly asynchronous ... and some parts are done by applet06:59
geserkeescook: have you had time to look over the updated debdiffs from bug #124629?06:59
ubotuLaunchpad bug 124629 in gsambad "[CVE-2007-2838]  Unsafe tmp file usage" [Undecided,In progress]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/12462906:59
asacaquo: can you reproduce it?06:59
aquoasac: yes, on different systems, edgy and feisty07:00
asacyou have gutsy?07:00
aquoi tried different versions of network manager, didn't solve the problem.07:01
aquonext thing i will try is to upgrade wpa_supplicant.07:02
=== agoliveira [n=adilson@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
keescookgeser: haven't yet, later today, I'm hoping.  :)07:05
aquoasac: for another strange reason my synaptic says wpasupplicant-0.5.7 is installed, but the executable says it is different07:06
cjwatsonsoren,ryanakca: OK, tomorrow's image should be happier for swap on LVM.07:06
aquoaquo@cayley:~/Temp/network-manager-0.6.4/src$ wpa_supplicant -v07:06
aquowpa_supplicant v0.5.507:06
aquocan someone check this please?07:06
calcinfinity: no ETA yet, but hopefully i will have it in gutsy by tribe-407:06
aquojust compare package version of wpasupplicant and the version of the binary?07:06
aquoon feisty07:07
calcinfinity: otherwise i will be staying up really late getting it done07:07
calcinfinity: has to be in before the week after tribe-4 at latest anyway07:07
infinitycalc: Kay... Upload early, upload often.  If it builds at all, I want to see it, so we can iron out failureds.07:08
infinityfailures, too.07:08
calcinfinity: i am hoping to get it in by end of next week though07:08
=== tsmithe [n=toby@ubuntu/member/tsmithe] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== bmm [n=chatzill@cc400801-a.groni1.gr.home.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== bmm [n=chatzill@cc400801-a.groni1.gr.home.nl] has left #ubuntu-devel []
ryanakcacjwatson: ok, what I was trying to say was, in the partitioning menu, you can use guided partition on a whole disk to partition an LVM, even though that's not the way LVM works. Maybe prevent the guided partition a whole disk from working on an LVM?07:20
=== Arby [n=richard@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== kirkland [i=kirkland@nat/ibm/x-9c5bda0c570946f7] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== wattazoum [n=wattazou@ant06-1-82-242-110-34.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
aquocan anybody compare the package version and the version of wpa_supplicant on his system?07:25
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@19-113.dsl.iskon.hr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ScottLij [n=scott@24-180-196-49.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zOrK [n=eclipse@c-65-34-212-49.hsd1.fl.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== carlos [n=carlos@canonical/launchpad/carlos] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lukaswayne9 [n=lukas@c-68-84-69-12.hsd1.nj.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Jax [n=jaxut@cpc2-lewi1-0-0-cust243.bmly.cable.ntl.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Jax [n=jaxut@cpc2-lewi1-0-0-cust243.bmly.cable.ntl.com] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== Amaranth [n=travis@ubuntu/member/Amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jrib [n=jrib@upstream/dev/jrib] has joined #ubuntu-devel
wasabiyay things now segfault this morning. =)08:27
=== statik [n=emurphy@canonical/launchpad/statik] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== milli [n=milli@famfrit.acmeps.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== svolpe_gerrath [n=Gerrath_@unaffiliated/gerrath] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Gasten [n=Gasten@h52n9c1o1095.bredband.skanova.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== aquo [n=aquo@dslb-088-073-214-149.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jamesh [n=james@canonical/launchpad/jamesh] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== micahcowan [n=micahcow@ubuntu/member/micahcowan] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ompaul [n=ompaul@freenode/staff/gnewsense.ompaul] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mr_pouithttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/MainInclusionReportXfce4PlacesPlugin (approved by iwj) <<< can it be moved to main before the tribe 3, or is it too late ?08:53
=== Gasten [n=Gasten@h52n9c1o1095.bredband.skanova.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ryanakcais ReiserFS unmaintained at the Kernel/Upstream level, or at the Ubuntu level?08:59
mjg59ryanakca: No09:01
=== ryanakca scratches his head...
ryanakcaScottK: ??09:04
=== aquo is going crazy bout this bug
mjg59There's very little maintenance of Reiser upstream09:05
mjg59But it's not strictly unmaintained09:05
aquoYes, because Reiser is a suspected murderer09:05
aquohe is accused of having killed his wife09:06
mjg59No, Reiser3's support level hasn't really changed since then09:07
=== hunger [n=tobias@p54A72213.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
kylemreiser3 is completely unmaintained.09:07
mjg59kylem: Trivial patches seem to end up in it every so often09:07
kylemhans refused to maintain it, so suse did it, and now suse has dropped it.09:07
mjg59It's not at the point where it's bitrotting yet09:08
kylemso it will only be maintained in the kernels suse continues to support.09:08
pittiquit cu tomorrow09:08
=== zasf [n=matteo@host87-14.pool80180.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mikmorg [n=Michael_@cpe-70-124-62-55.austin.res.rr.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Luk1 [n=lhoerste@cpe-70-124-62-55.austin.res.rr.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mikmorgHello all.09:11
=== Luk1 is now known as Luke_
=== Luke_ is now known as Luk1
mikmorgI have been developing a CD remastering utility for Ubuntu for the past couple weeks at Dell. If anyone is interested in obtaining a copy, you can send me an e-mail at Michael_Morgan@Dell.com. Its still highly beta, but we can always use more hands in making it better.09:15
=== bluekuja_ [n=andrea@host14-175.pool8252.interbusiness.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Amaranthmikmorg: you mean like for making your or live cd?09:24
Amarantherr, your own09:24
ryanakcacjwatson: would bug 126411 have anything with the fail to mount swap bug? (Maybe it doesn't successfully mount anything after the first lvm, thus not creating the home dir)09:25
ubotuLaunchpad bug 126411 in debian-installer "Alternate installer doesn't create home directory" [Undecided,New]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/12641109:25
ryanakcaah, there we go :)09:26
mikmorgamaranth: yes09:34
=== Tonio_ [n=tonio@mst45-2-82-242-83-37.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== xRaich[o] 2x [n=raichoo@i5387D5E2.versanet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== login_ [n=login@CPE0018f3a66698-CM0019475d87ba.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== macd [n=d@cl-116.atl-01.us.sixxs.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mikmorg Does anyone know of a very simple dpkg package manager that can be scripted powerfully? Apt seems to do too much for me.09:51
=== Martinp23 [n=Martinp2@wikimedia/Martinp23] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mikmorgApt likes to install stuff that I don't want..09:52
=== amitk_ [n=amit@a81-197-135-210.elisa-laajakaista.fi] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ScottKmikmorg: Usually there's a reason it wants it.  Be careful.09:52
mikmorgScottK: It sees a new version of a package already installed, and forces me to upgrade.09:53
mikmorgScottK: Unless you know of a way to keep it from doing that... ?09:53
Mithrandirmikmorg: no, it doesn't do that by default.09:53
Mithrandirif you're seeing that, it's a symptom something else is going on09:53
mikmorgMithrandir: Hmm.. I'll look into it again then. Thanks.09:54
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@19-113.dsl.iskon.hr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tru_`z24 [n=truz_`24@74-129-166-232.dhcp.insightbb.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mr_pouitcjwatson: could you add j1mc (jwcampbell_AT_gmail.com) and I (mrpouit_AT_ubuntu.com) to the Xubuntu daily CD health check? (jani asked some time ago, but the mail might have been lost). Thanks :)10:04
=== Tonio_ [n=tonio@mst45-2-82-242-83-37.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
asaccrimsun: is there any good reason that all this debian/config logic exists in flashplugin-nonfree?10:04
=== slomo [n=slomo@ubuntu/member/slomo] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tbell [n=tomb@host217-44-6-196.range217-44.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Tonio_ [n=tonio@mst45-2-82-242-83-37.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Tonio_ [n=tonio@mst45-2-82-242-83-37.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== huahua_ [n=huahua@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ScottKMithrandir: StevenK uploaded a clamav source backport to dapper-backports over 6 hours ago and it has yet to show up.  How long should I wait before asking you to look into it?10:11
=== Spads [n=spacehob@unaffiliated/spads] has joined #ubuntu-devel
MithrandirScottK: given it needs manual approval, it won't magically show up10:11
MithrandirI can take a look at it10:11
ScottKAh.  OK.  Thanks.10:11
ScottKVersion is 0.88.7-1ubuntu1~dapper10:12
=== TomB__ [n=tomb@host217-44-0-85.range217-44.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== b00mer3 [n=Guest@fl-71-54-163-57.dhcp.embarqhsd.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cjwatson_ [n=cjwatson@82-69-40-219.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== _TomB [n=tomb@host217-44-0-85.range217-44.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Kmos [n=gothicx@unaffiliated/kmos] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mthaddon [n=mthaddon@canonical/launchpad/mthaddon] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatson_ryanakca: I doubt it10:27
=== TomB_ [n=tomb@host217-44-0-85.range217-44.btcentralplus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonryanakca: (though I suppose it's *possible*, but the bug I fixed was very swap-specific)10:28
=== Burgundavia [n=corey@ubuntu/member/burgundavia] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonmr_pouit: done10:30
cjwatsonmr_pouit: (I didn't see a mail)10:30
mr_pouitcjwatson: thanks a lot :)10:30
ryanakcacjwatson: okies :)10:31
cjwatsonryanakca: I can't see how to reproduce the thing you mention about running guided partitioning for LVM on just one disk10:32
cjwatsonryanakca: could you explain what steps I need to take in the UI to do that?10:32
cjwatsonmr_pouit: thank me after you've got fed up with the mails ;-)10:33
mr_pouitok ;P10:33
ryanakcasure, have an alternate CD up and running?10:33
cjwatsonryanakca: yes10:35
ryanakcaok, in the partitioning part, go to guided LVM, and set that up so that you have just /dm-0 hogging up most of the space10:35
ryanakcaerm.. /dev/dm-0...10:36
cjwatsonhave already done that10:36
ryanakca(no dm-1, etc), then umm... lemme see, save that initialise it methinks it was, and then it prints an error message, and brings you back to the manual partition10:37
cjwatsonI have a dm-110:37
cjwatsonerr. so you mean go back to the main menu and run partition disks again?10:38
cjwatson"Configure the Logical Volume Manager" doesn't let me select a disk10:38
ryanakcaback, sorry10:39
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@19-113.dsl.iskon.hr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ryanakcathat, or select the <go back> and it'll bring you to the original partition menu10:39
ryanakcathen select guided partiton an entire disk10:40
ryanakcayou should see /dev/dm-1 amoung the options listed10:40
ryanakcaI don't think that /dev/dm-1 should be listed there, because it isn't intended to be partitioned that way10:41
ryanakcacjwatson: see it?10:41
cjwatsonoh, guided partitioning, ok, sorry10:42
=== keyes_ [n=keyes@easyubuntu/keyes] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonright, I'm guessing that's yet another item of fallout from the temporary /dev/mapper/* -> /dev/dm-* symlinks10:42
ryanakcaok, so it's known?10:43
cjwatsonnot this particular item10:43
cjwatsonthe installer blacklists /dev/mapper/* but not /dev/dm-*10:44
cjwatsonI'll hack around it now10:44
ryanakcacjwatson: thanks :)10:44
cjwatsonthose symlinks are due to go away for gutsy though10:44
=== ryanakca nods
=== juhu [n=hgtbv@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonactually, I dunno10:46
cjwatsonI have a feeling that maybe the right thing would be just to revert that symlink for the udeb10:46
cjwatsonbecause there is *loads* of stuff that does grep -q /dev/mapper/ or equivalent10:46
=== Luk1 is now known as lhoerste
=== psyke83 [n=conn@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
psyke83quick question (I know this isn't support): I've resolved a bug on my system in which the Intel driver using EXA crashes when Compiz is enabled - it's a buggy patch in Gutsy's xserver-xorg-core. I have a bug posted with all the details on bugs.freedesktop.org, do I need to open a bug on launchpad or can I just show an Xorg maintainer the bug directly to have it fixed in the next upload?10:55
psyke83here's the bug (and resolution): https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1162610:55
ubotuFreedesktop bug 11626 in Acceleration/EXA "Intel driver (using EXA) crashes system when starting compiz" [Normal,Resolved: notourbug] 10:55
ryanakcacjwatson: umm... I think yesterday's installer was really bad. For some reason, /home/ryan is on the '/' lvm, despite my having created a 'Home' lvm, with a '/home' mounted partition10:59
psyke83oops, wrong channel - disregard10:59
=== infinity [n=adconrad@cerberus.0c3.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== juhu [n=hgtbv@] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== Gnontghol [n=knut@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== didymo [n=ashley@CPE-61-9-197-223.static.nsw.bigpond.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== AlinuxOS [n=alinux@host48-247-dynamic.12-87-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonryanakca: see my comment on the bug11:40
AlinuxOSdoko, ping11:43
ryanakcacjwatson: will do, I'm going to reboot into the gutsy live cd, and try installing with that. I'm having a pile of trouble with the alt... no mouse cursor, etc.11:44
jdongquick, someone gimme the name of a package that's the same version in feisty and gutsy!11:49
jdongwell, maybe not that urgently...11:49
jdongself.post[-1] .append('please','thank you', ... )11:50
ryanakcacjwatson: uploaded11:53
=== didymo [n=ashley@CPE-61-9-197-223.static.nsw.bigpond.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jrib [n=jrib@upstream/dev/jrib] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonryanakca: does 'mount' say that /home is really mounted separately12:01
=== siti [n=siti@clix-jaquesmartin-nz.cpe.clix.net.nz] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== specialdave [n=speciald@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== etank [n=etank@ubuntu/member/etank] has joined #ubuntu-devel

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!