=== rnorwood [n=rnorwood@adsl-074-167-242-127.sip.rmo.bellsouth.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== finalbeta [n=viper@d54C6865D.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hoora [i=hoora@gateway/tor/x-baf67ad32e43f85d] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== IntuitiveNipple [n=TJ@alexandros.tjworld.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== AlinuxOS [n=vsichi@host57-130-dynamic.1-87-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== someone2005 [n=someones@pool-71-176-124-87.syrcny.east.verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== astro76 [n=james@unaffiliated/astro76] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== doko_ [n=doko@dslb-088-073-124-170.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mjg59keescook: Any user can access arbitrary areas of memory that X has access to given SHMConfig, IIRC01:18
pygimjg59, are you open for a little kernel-related question at this early hours?01:19
mjg59keescook: The driver should just be fixed to handle stuff based on X auth tokens, like Wacom does01:19
keescookmjg59: agreed about the "needs fixing", however, afaict, the SHMConfig option of the synaptic driver "only" lets people muck with the synaptics settings. (I sent some email about it)01:24
=== superm1 [n=superm1@ubuntu/member/superm1] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mjg59keescook: I still don't consider that an acceptable risk. Careful choices would allow arbitrary X input.01:26
mjg59(Just limit the coordinate space to the thing you want clicked)01:27
mjg59pygi: Sure01:27
keescookmjg59: agreed, though I wasn't too sure how that could work, after I looked at the code.01:28
=== jml [n=jml@203-113-250-169-static.TAS.netspace.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pygimjg59, are you aware of any problems with VIA VT6240 SATA controller perhaps due to a kernel/driver bug?01:34
=== nixternal [n=nixterna@ubuntu/member/pdpc.active.nixternal] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Gman [i=gman@nat/sun/x-1e52190f84eacd42] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== albert23 [n=albert@] has left #ubuntu-devel []
mjg59pygi: Not to the best of my knowledge01:43
pygimjg59, ok,thanks01:44
mjg59keescook: Anyone with local access can effectively set arbitrary constraints on the touchpad coordinates and how they correspond to the screen. It pretty much means you can control where their next mouse button click is going to be01:44
=== eugman [n=eugene@c-67-171-90-0.hsd1.pa.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
calci'm getting failed to upload errors for ooo and ooo-l10n01:45
=== fabbione [n=fabbione@ip-66-80-12-66.dsl.sca.megapath.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
calcis that due to a freeze or something else?01:45
keescookmjg59: fair enough.01:45
mjg59keescook: So you have an excessive quantity of influence over what the user can do, which is kind of bad01:46
=== keescook nods
=== PriceChild [n=pricechi@ubuntu/member/pdpc.supporter.student.PriceChild] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mjg59(Though Intel have been buying me Tequila tonight, so you might not want to believe anything I say)01:50
=== mbiebl [n=michael@p4FD2ED9A.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== licio [n=licio@ubuntu/member/licio] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== l_ [n=l_@mix.mmjgroup.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cprov [n=cprov@canonical/launchpad/cprov] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jack_wyt [n=jack@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lbs [n=lbs@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jsgotangco [n=JSG@ubuntu/member/jsgotangco] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== minghua [n=minghua@ubuntu/member/minghua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== johanbr [n=j@blk-224-159-249.eastlink.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== freeflying [n=freeflyi@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ion_Oh, i hadnt even noticed xorg 7.3 was released last week. Input hotplug 02:40
=== mthaddon [n=mthaddon@canonical/launchpad/mthaddon] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mthaddonjust got a "FATAL: Error running install command for nvidia" after latest gutsy upgrade for nvidia-glx - is it just me?02:43
mthaddonor rather, my X server crapped out and after some recovery (gtk-displayconfig not too successful for me) and manually trying to load the nvidia module I get that (trying to see what errors it was giving)02:44
=== superm1_ [n=superm1@ubuntu/member/superm1] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mthaddonsorry, just read the topic header... will head over to #ubuntu+102:45
=== rnorwood [n=rnorwood@adsl-074-167-242-127.sip.rmo.bellsouth.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tehk [n=tehk@c-68-44-165-48.hsd1.nj.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== wasabi_ [n=wasabi@cpe-76-184-122-13.tx.res.rr.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== bddebian [n=bdefrees@c-71-224-172-103.hsd1.pa.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== f0rqu3 [n=f0rqu3@unaffiliated/f0rqu3] has joined #ubuntu-devel
f0rqu3is there a newer fglrx package available?03:01
f0rqu38.40 for example03:01
f0rqu3the one in the repo is 8.34 :(03:02
=== `anthony [n=anthony@ekorp-60-242-130-196.eoff.ekorp.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== YokoZar__ [n=nocryan@h-67-102-21-114.snfccasy.covad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dobeyf0rqu3: in the repo for feisty?03:05
dobeythere might be a newer version available for gutsy03:05
f0rqu3gutsy is older?03:06
bhaleno. newer03:06
dobeywhy would there be a newer version of something in an older repo? :)03:06
f0rqu3can I add its repo to feisty?03:07
dobeyfglrx is probably bound to the kernel03:07
dobeyso that might be a bad idea03:07
=== wasabi_ [n=wasabi@cpe-76-184-122-13.tx.res.rr.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dobeyif there's a compelling reason to release an update for feisty, it's probably best to file a bug detailing that reason, and requesting it be done03:08
f0rqu3probably I will compile it myself when the 8.41 releases03:09
=== f0rqu3 [n=f0rqu3@unaffiliated/f0rqu3] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Leaving"]
=== hoora [i=hoora@gateway/tor/x-5f9375bdeb89ce85] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== rnorwood [i=rnorwood@nat/redhat/x-4e5012436be17b91] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jsgotangco [n=JSG@ubuntu/member/jsgotangco] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== `anthony [n=anthony@ekorp-60-242-130-196.eoff.ekorp.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Gman [i=gman@nat/sun/x-00b8ce37924e6b3c] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lionel [n=lionel@ip-149.net-89-3-208.rev.numericable.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Jucato [n=jucato@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== j_ack [n=j_ack@p508DB191.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mekius [n=mekius@CPE-70-92-244-65.wi.res.rr.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mekiushi, when the live first boots up you get a menu, where are the settings/images for this menu?04:28
mekiusi would like to modify it04:28
=== jml [n=jml@ppp108-61.static.internode.on.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mekiusany help is appreciated04:31
=== ionstorm [n=ion@71-36-164-32.phnx.qwest.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== l_ [n=l_@mix.mmjgroup.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== licio [n=licio@ubuntu/member/licio] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== LaserJock [n=mantha@ubuntu/member/laserjock] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== luisbg [n=d33p@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== _TomB [n=tomb@ACCE2934.ipt.aol.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tonyyarusso [n=anthony@ubuntu/member/tonyyarusso] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== didymo [n=ashley@CPE-61-9-197-223.static.nsw.bigpond.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jack_wyt [n=jack@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== j_ack [n=j_ack@p508DB191.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== _lemsx1_ [n=lemsx1@p86-65.acedsl.com] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== slomo [n=slomo@ubuntu/member/slomo] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== nags [n=nags@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sbalneav [n=sbalneav@S0106000b6a5631f9.wp.shawcable.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lando [n=lando@adsl-074-236-035-138.sip.mia.bellsouth.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Shely [n=Sea@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== BenC_ [n=bcollins@collinsap1.phunnypharm.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== YokoZar__ [n=nocryan@h-67-102-21-114.snfccasy.covad.net] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== asisak [n=conp@ubuntu/member/coNP] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== BenC [n=bcollins@debian/developer/bcollins] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jsgotangco [n=JSG@ubuntu/member/jsgotangco] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jetscreamer [n=jetscrea@unaffiliated/jetscreamer] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Zic [n=Zic@ubuntu/member/zic] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Chris [n=chris@unaffiliated/chris] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mpt [n=mpt@121-72-130-17.dsl.telstraclear.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== kagou [n=Patrice@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
kagouGood Morning :)08:01
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== iceman [n=iceman@cable-87-244-153-189.upc.chello.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== thekorn [n=thekorn@a89-182-26-183.net-htp.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Nicke [n=niclasa@ua-83-227-140-135.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Shely [n=Sea@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Amaranth [n=travis@ubuntu/member/Amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== viviersf [n=cain@gw.impilinux.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Lure [n=lure@external-1.hermes.si] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ionstorm [n=ion@71-36-164-32.phnx.qwest.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== viviersf [n=cain@gw.impilinux.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== stdin [i=stdin@pdpc/supporter/active/stdin] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== carlos [n=carlos@canonical/launchpad/carlos] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== MacSlow [n=mirco@unaffiliated/macslow] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pitti [n=pitti@ubuntu/member/pitti] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiGood morning08:52
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
StevenKMorning pitti09:04
mdkehi StevenK, I was reading on your interview that you're interested in working on a new about window; do you happen to have a spec or something already?09:05
StevenKmdke: Sure. There are two specs, and some code on LP.09:06
=== ant30 [n=aperezar@19.Red-80-59-20.staticIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mdkeStevenK: can you give me the details?09:07
StevenKmdke: Looking it up now.09:08
mdkebtw you might already know this, but mpt did some similar work a few cycles back. I don't know how far he got, but it's probably worth touching base with him, unless you have already09:08
StevenKHold on, OTP09:09
=== mdke nods
pittihey StevenK09:11
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Yeah [n=ohboy@c-24-6-9-246.hsd1.ca.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Lurepitti: morning09:18
Lurepitti: libgphoto2 is in my ppa, but I have at least one regression report, so I am not sure anymore we want to push it09:18
Lurepitti: and the condition in postinst was wrong, so it is fixed now in merged package09:19
pittiLure: oh, what broke? if it's too bad, it's worth filing a bug upstream, they are pretty responsive09:19
pittiso that it's sorted out with the opening of hardy09:19
Lurepitti: <allee> Lure: bad news about libgphoto2 2.4.0 (with cannon powershot A40). gphoto2 --auto-detect -L works once, next try hangs after autodetecting :( 2 x Ctrl-c to hard abort. Then it works again, 2nd hangs. etc. I see same in digikam :(09:20
pittisjoerd: any idea why python-avahi contains SimpleGladeApp.py and depends on python-glade? it pulls in an awful lot of Glade/X11 dependencies but doesn't actually use any of it09:20
Lurepitti: it works for me for Canon G3 (UMS) and 400D (PTP)09:21
=== mvo [n=egon@p54A67B1B.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittihey mvo09:21
Lurepitti: will talk with allee to check with upstream09:21
Lurepitti: and try to find some more testers with other digital cameras09:21
mptmdke, StevenK's code is a rewrite of my code09:23
StevenKRight, off the phone for a moment09:23
StevenKmdke: Sorry about that - the two specs are: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/about-ubuntu (which is mpt's) and https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/about-ubuntu-revisited (which is mine)09:24
mdkempt: excellent; that's fine, I was just checking09:24
mdkeStevenK: there are two things I wanted to ask you about it. (1) was whether you have been thinking about merging the gnome and ubuntu about dialogues; I think it's confusing to have both, especially because your average user won't know what Gnome is. (2) was whether you can keep the documentation team in the loop about your project, especially in terms of how much of the existing document you're using, whether you envisage it remaining available in so09:24
StevenKpitti has also had a poke around the code.09:24
mdkeIll read the specs now09:24
=== dholbach [n=daniel@i59F728F9.versanet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
StevenKmdke: I've been thinking about that - so far, the current Python code fires off hal-device-manager - perhaps it should fire up yelp.09:25
dholbachgood morning09:25
mdkeStevenK: on (2)?09:25
StevenKmdke: This neatly allows people to see quickly what version and so on they're running, but also lets them see more information.09:25
StevenKmdke: Yup.09:25
mdkemorning dholbach09:26
mdkeStevenK: could be.09:26
mptStevenK, what's the use case for the "More Information" link?09:26
StevenKmdke: Merging the Gnome and Ubuntu about dialogs I've not thought about, and secondly, that leaves Kubuntu and so on out in the cold.09:26
dholbachhey mdke09:26
mptKubuntu would, presumably, want a Qt About window :-)09:26
mvogood morning pitti09:27
StevenKOf course. I've modarlised the code so they can have one.09:27
=== MacSlow [n=mirco@unaffiliated/macslow] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mdkeStevenK: ok, let's think about it :)09:27
StevenKmpt: You removed the More Information button from your spec, if I recall.09:28
mptStevenK, I don't remember whether it was ever there09:28
mptit may have been09:28
mdkethe Gnome/Ubuntu branding conflict is something I've come up against in documentation too; we reuse quite a lot of Gnome documentation, and I find it really confusing to have some documents continuously referring to "the Gnome desktop" when ever since the user has turned the computer on it's been branded as Ubuntu09:29
mptbut I don't think it's useful09:29
mdkebut I don't know what the policy is with upstream and us about branding, I think it needs discussion09:29
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mptMuch of what's in the about page would make more sense in one or two help pages.09:29
MacSlowmvo, dholbach: the workspace-mapping between compiz and metacity is a mess... that and #122549 are keeping me very busy for some days to come I'm afraid09:32
mdkeStevenK: anyway, just wanted to flag those things up so that we can think about / discuss them09:32
dholbachbug 12254909:33
ubotuLaunchpad bug 122549 in compiz "[gutsy]  compiz fusion breaking gnome-screensaver behaviour" [High,Confirmed]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/12254909:33
=== dholbach hugs MacSlow
mdkedholbach: congrats on the new job, that's awesome09:33
dholbachthanks a lot mdke :)09:33
StevenKmdke: Sure. Scribble all over https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AboutUbuntuRevisited if you wish.09:33
mdkeStevenK: will do09:34
=== StevenK subscribes to the page so he knows when mdke scribbles. :-)
sjoerdpitti: It's what upstream ships inside the avahi module... But yeah it's a bit silly indeed09:36
=== freeflying [n=freeflyi@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== holycow [n=start@S01060016b6b53675.vf.shawcable.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
holycowhey guys09:38
alleeLure, pitti: about gphoto problem: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1791834&group_id=8874&atid=108874 no responds yet.  I've to wait for gerhard the canon expert09:38
ubotuSourceforge bug 1791834 "Powershot A40: 2.3.1 -&gt; 2.4.0 regresssion:  gphoto2 -L hang" [Pri: 5,Open] 09:39
Lureallee: thanks for link - I have just send the request to mailing list as well09:39
pittisjoerd: so we could really remove the SimpleGladeApp.py and the dependency; I got a mail from someone wanting to use it for PXE, and those dependencies really hurt him09:40
sjoerdpython for PXE ? :)09:42
sjoerdBut well, yeah09:42
pitti> mDNS package sharing would be very useful for the PXE clusters09:42
pitti> we are running, but the x11 dependency kinda spoils the fun.09:42
pittisjoerd: thin clients, I assume09:42
sjoerdI'll talk to lennart about moving SimpleGladeApp into avahi-discover09:42
sjoerdThat's about the only thing that uses it i guess..09:42
sjoerdMaybe the service-applet too09:43
=== illovae [n=illovae@lns-bzn-54-82-251-73-94.adsl.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mdkeStevenK: lp does the subscribe to wiki page bit automatically on the spec09:51
StevenKmdke: Ah09:51
mdkethey think of everything :)09:51
=== tormod [n=tormod@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
stdinis there any reason that ubuntu-desktop and kubuntu-desktop need to share ~80 depends/recommends? why not put them in ubuntu-standard?09:54
\shguys, compiz and X are going mad somehow since the last update09:59
tepsipakki\sh: in what way?10:00
Amaranth\sh: nvidia?10:01
=== Hobbsee [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-devel
stdinhmm, and things like acip, acpid, cups and hal really should be in -standard10:02
\shAmaranth, standard radeon (xorg driver)10:03
\shmouse movements are totally fast, or when you setup the mouse movement in gnome mouse config it's too slow10:03
Amaranthand turning off compiz fixes this?10:03
\shand since the last startup (this morning) with compiz-fusion, background is black10:04
\shdisabling compiz it's back to normal, but not the mouse movement10:04
Amaranthok, so i only need to figure out the black background :)10:04
Amaranth\sh: is it just black or do you get ghosting too?10:04
\shoh....mouse acceleration settings in gnome-mouse-config isn't saved10:04
\shAmaranth, just black background10:05
Amaranthdo you use the wallpaper plugin?10:05
\shAmaranth, nope10:05
\shAmaranth, standard ubuntu background10:05
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Hobbseegood evening sabdfl10:05
\shAmaranth, I just removed all my .gnome* dirs and .gconf* dirs10:05
\shto be sure, it's not a wrong gconf setting or whatever10:06
Amaranth\sh: try changing...oh10:06
\shseb128/dholbach: gnome-mouse-settings are not saved correctly, and it looks like only mouse acceleration is not saved10:08
=== \sh is going to have a cigarette now...and getting a new coffee...
Amaranth\sh: what is your screen resolution?10:09
dholbach\sh: I told you that I don't know much about it - best to file a bug10:09
\shAmaranth, 1280x102410:10
cjwatsonmekius: mostly in gfxboot-theme-ubuntu, though there are some extra files in /isolinux/ on the CD10:10
Amaranth\sh: glxinfo -l | grep MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE10:13
=== xy77 [n=xy77@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== xy77 [n=xy77@] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Tschss."]
=== marcel__ [n=marcel@wc-50.r-195-35-150.atwork.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
\shAmaranth, 204810:20
=== dholbach_ [n=daniel@i59F7425C.versanet.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Amaranthok, that's not it10:20
Amaranth\sh: wait, do you have a desktop manager running?10:21
Amaranthnautilus, kdesktop, etc10:21
tormodgrub is now built on all platform (instead of just i386 and amd64) and fails on sparc,powerpc,ia64. should something be changed to avoid trying those builds? (the latest upload didn't change anything in that respect)10:21
\shAmaranth, the standard gnome stuff from scratch10:22
\shAmaranth, no kde , no other unsual stuff...plain gutsy10:22
Amaranthso nautilus is showing a desktop10:22
Amaranthi mean, you have icons and junk, right?10:23
Amaranthjust no wallpaper10:23
\shAmaranth, I have the menu bar , no icons on the desktop, background is black10:23
\shthe panels are there, I can see windows with decorations10:23
Amaranthdo the icons come back when you kill compiz?10:23
Amaranthor do you just not have them at all?10:23
\shAmaranth, when I disable effects  in the appearance configuration it all comes back10:23
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Amaranth\sh: ok, when compiz is running kill nautilus10:24
Amaranthit'll restart10:24
\shAmaranth, oh sorry...right now I see that I don't have any window decoration buttons...just the window decoration itself, with no buttons10:24
Amaranthok, i'm now blaming this on X :P10:24
Amaranthdo windows sometimes come up blank too?10:25
\shAmaranth, I just restarted the desktop effects (normal) and I have everything back but not the icons and background10:26
Amaranthok then, try killing nautilus10:26
\shAmaranth, done10:26
\shAmaranth, no nautilus{*} in my process list anymore10:26
\shand no restart of nautilus10:27
Amaranthweird, gnome-session should have restarted it10:27
Amaranthstart it manually then10:27
\shah background and icons are back10:27
Amaranthnow stop and start compiz again10:27
Amaranthsee if it happens again10:27
=== cassidy [n=cassidy@251.139-240-81.adsl-dyn.isp.belgacom.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
asacsiretart: ... managed to reproduce already? do you need any infos?10:28
=== pochu [n=emilio@84.Red-83-57-218.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
\shAmaranth, ok...system->administration->appearance-> no effects == window deco is there, no metacity fallback, no buttons in the deco10:28
Amaranthno effects _is_ metacity10:29
\shAmaranth, with disabled effects, there is no key accelerators anymore (so no changing of desktops) no alt-tab is working nothing10:29
Amaranthok, that's just weird10:29
\shAmaranth, setting to normal effects brings back deco and buttons and key accells10:30
Amaranthmetacity is freaking out?10:30
\shmetacity is running when I set to no desktop10:31
Amaranthand it's broken?10:31
=== Hobbsee wonders why we disable automounting in hal
Amaranththis is new10:31
\shmetacity --replace I can see in my process list10:31
Amaranthand also not something i know how to debug :P10:32
Amaranthso when you use metacity your window decorations are broken and no key accels works10:32
\shAmaranth, hmm..the mouse is freaking out on all machines I have....gnome-mouse-settings is not saving the mouse accell...I'll file a bug, since it could be also the kernel, just because everything what's here is usb ...and even key repeat doesn't work anymore10:33
\shAmaranth, right10:33
=== jml [n=jml@ppp121-44-221-92.lns1.hba1.internode.on.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Amaranthsounds like you've got some more fundamental low level problem10:33
\shwell, on the console everything works normal10:34
Amaranthi meant with X10:34
\shso it's not the kernel with some strange usb issue...10:34
Amaranthif metacity is broken then something is going really wrong10:34
\shAmaranth, looks like...10:34
\shI'll file a bug against xorg because of the mouse slow motion and keyboard probelms10:36
dholbachKeybuk: what do you think about the patch in bug 57755 and putting it into udev? it'd be nice if this would get included... somewhere10:36
ubotuLaunchpad bug 57755 in gnupg "Udev Rules for SmartCard Support" [Undecided,New]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/5775510:36
dholbachlamont: shall I prod you about bug 33586 again? :)10:37
ubotuLaunchpad bug 33586 in nmap ".desktop file cleanup for nmapfe" [Wishlist,Incomplete]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/3358610:37
dholbachiwj: does the patch in bug 135086 look ok?10:38
ubotuLaunchpad bug 135086 in unzip "zipgrep: exit code always 0" [Medium,Triaged]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/13508610:38
\shbug 13882610:39
ubotuLaunchpad bug 138826 in xorg "[gutsy]  since last update of xorg mouse is in slow motion or too fast to see" [Undecided,New]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/13882610:39
\shdholbach, what's the right package for this gnome-mouse-settings applet?10:40
=== dexem [n=dani@14.Red-88-26-177.staticIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
\shah capplets-data10:41
\sh bug 11859310:44
ubotuLaunchpad bug 118593 in gnome-panel "mouse preferences acceleration not saving" [Undecided,Invalid]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/11859310:44
\shalready reported...10:44
=== cassidy [n=cassidy@251.139-240-81.adsl-dyn.isp.belgacom.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dholbachcalc: will you include the patch of bug 134112 in your next ooo upload?10:48
ubotuLaunchpad bug 134112 in openoffice.org "added Xb-Npp-xxx tags accordingly to "firefox distro add-on suport" spec" [Undecided,New]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/13411210:48
gesercan someone sponsor uploading boost? bug #13468410:54
ubotuLaunchpad bug 134684 in boost "Upgrade to Version 1.34.1" [Wishlist,In progress]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/13468410:54
Hobbseeoh, pitti's approved that.10:56
tormodmjg59: are you happy with bug 127273 now?10:58
ubotuLaunchpad bug 127273 in laptop-mode-tools "laptop-mode init script links not created" [Undecided,Confirmed]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/12727310:58
geserHobbsee: yes, it's approved already, I need now someone to upload it.10:58
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jono [n=jono@88-107-83-122.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Demitar [n=demitar@c-212-031-190-120.cust.broadway.se] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mc44 [n=mc44@unaffiliated/mc44] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== slytherin [n=Salazar@pdpc/supporter/base/slytherin] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== rraphink [i=raphink@ubuntu/member/raphink] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jml [n=jml@ppp121-44-221-92.lns1.hba1.internode.on.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jamiemcc [n=jamie@82-32-8-26.cable.ubr02.azte.blueyonder.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
slytherinCan anyone tell me who maintains language-support packages? There is an unnecessary dependency in language-support-en. It depends on thunderbird-locale-en-gb but we don't ship thunderbird on CD now.11:33
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittislytherin: *raising hand*11:38
pittislytherin: however, the dependency is correct in terms of what language-support-XX is supposed to do11:39
pittislytherin: the problem might rather be that we do not actually want to ship the entire l-s-en on the CDs11:39
slytherinpitti: As of now, we ship thunderbird-locale-en-gb on CD where as we don't ship thunderbird. Does it make sense?11:41
pittislytherin: in a way, yes; l-support-XX ships extra translations which aren't part of the language packs; the language packs ship a lot of translations for software which is not on the CD11:43
slytherinpitti: Will be back in 15-20 minutes11:43
StevenKpitti: I shall look at moving requestsync later tonight.11:45
pittiStevenK: ah, good11:46
StevenKpitti: I think it's a matter of uploading devscripts ubuntu3 that drops it, and adding C/R devscripts (<< 2.10.7ubuntu2) along with requestsync to u-d-t11:47
pittiStevenK: << ubuntu3, yes11:48
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Watersevenub [n=Watersev@azevedo.astro.up.pt] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lllllllllllllll [n=lucas@176-140.1-85.cust.bluewin.ch] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
asacstrange ... valgrind appears to be broken for me :/ anyone else sees this? http://pastebin.mozilla.org/19729512:09
=== pbn_ [i=pbn@wopr.geekshells.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== rulus [n=rulus_|@212.144-244-81.adsl-dyn.isp.belgacom.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Tonio_ [n=tonio@linagoraberri.pck.nerim.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== chand [n=rsamson@linagoraberri.pck.nerim.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jamiemcc [n=jamie@82-32-8-26.cable.ubr02.azte.blueyonder.co.uk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== slytherin [n=Salazar@pdpc/supporter/base/slytherin] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== RemoteVi1wer [n=555@stan.physik.fu-berlin.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== pygi [n=mario@83-131-18-207.adsl.net.t-com.hr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== coffeedude [n=coffeedu@68-184-60-223.dhcp.mtgm.al.charter.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== illovae [n=illovae@lns-bzn-54-82-251-73-94.adsl.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== `anthony [n=anthony@203-214-72-189.dyn.iinet.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
calcdholbach: its already in the one stuck in 'failed to upload'12:38
pittimjg59: meh, you forgot to commit your hal changes to bzr, doing that now12:38
dholbachcalc: ok, I didn't know just looking at the bug12:38
calcpitti: is ooo/ooo-l10n stuck in 'failed to upload' due to a freeze or something else?12:39
dholbachbut good to know you're on it12:39
calcdholbach: np12:39
pitticalc: no, that's usually a bug; I guess the recent LP update overwrote my disabling of that dpkg Pre-Depends: check12:39
pitticalc: give me some minutes to finish my current task, then I'll hack it in again and reprocess your uploads12:39
StevenKpitti: And hit up the Launchpad guys to fix it? :-)12:40
mjg59pitti: Hrm, sorry - I could have sworn I did12:40
dholbachpitti: shall I move requestsync to ubuntu-dev-tools?12:40
mjg59Did I commit one set and forget the second?12:40
pittidholbach: StevenK was about to, but sure12:40
pittimjg59: yes, only the last one (63_my_dbus_is_full_of_uints.patch)12:40
StevenKdholbach: I've started on it....12:41
dholbachStevenK: alright12:41
mjg59pitti: Ah, right - sorry about that12:41
pittimjg59: the rest (before Fabio's upload) is in12:41
pittimjg59: no problem12:41
=== Gman is now known as GmanAFK
mjg59pitti: I find the process of having the debian directory in bzr but not the rest of the package kind of awkward in this sort of case12:41
pittimjg59: did you take all those patches from upstream git? or is there anything still to be forwarded?12:41
mjg59pitti: No, upstream is consistent12:42
=== Demitar [n=demitar@c-212-031-190-120.cust.broadway.se] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pygidoko, any progress?12:47
Keybukdholbach: invalid, as it uses a group not in base-files12:50
dholbachKeybuk: hm, ok12:51
Keybukas Tollef says, the rules are shipped with libccid12:51
dholbachgeser: ^ what do you think we should do with the patch?12:52
pittiI guess people wouldn't bite me if I asked for a FF exception for bzr 0.90?12:52
pittiStevenK: hit LP guys> that bug report already exists12:53
StevenKpitti: Ah12:54
pygipitti, why would they? we do need bzr 0.9012:56
pygiif I ain't mistaken 0.91RC will be out today?12:57
pittipygi: well, not exactly 'need', but it would certainly be cool12:57
pittiwould be quite a shame not to ship the latest stable12:57
=== pitti goes to test it
geserdholbach, Keybuk: gnupg does support some smart card readers directly. All is needed are the right permissions that gnupg can access it. The rules from libccid (which is no dependency of gnupg) need pscsd as they tell it about the new device.12:59
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
geserso there are conflicting rules for some smart card readers depending on how one intends to use it01:03
=== agoliveira [n=adilson@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Keybukgeser: so the rules should be shipped in the packages?01:04
=== PriceChild [n=pricechi@ubuntu/member/pdpc.supporter.student.PriceChild] has joined #ubuntu-devel
geserKeybuk: preferable, but as gnupg and gnupg2 benefit from them I don't know where exactly it should get shipped01:07
=== TeTeT [n=spindler@modemcable178.77-70-69.static.videotron.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Keybukme neither01:08
KeybukI think that the current policy of tending towards a unique group for every unique type of device is wrong anyway01:08
=== _MMA1 [n=_MMA_@cpe-071-070-203-016.nc.res.rr.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Keybukit's an awesome maintenance burden01:09
pittigeser: until we get the full magic of CK+hal changing device permissions, using 'plugdev' seems appropriate to me01:09
geserscard was suggested on the gnupg site (or some tutorial) to not allow everybody access to the smart card reader, but plugdev should also work01:10
Keybuk"console users have permission to use all connected USB devices" \o/01:12
=== norsetto [n=Cesare@host179-234-dynamic.9-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
geserKeybuk: any better ideas?01:17
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiMithrandir, Hobbsee, cjwatson: can either of you take a look at bug 138858? I don't want to approve my own requests01:19
ubotuLaunchpad bug 138858 in bzr "FF exception request: bzr/bzrtools 0.90 for gutsy" [Undecided,New]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/13885801:19
gesergnupg{,2} need only access to the usb-connected smart card reader, libccid and/or pcscd isn't needed01:19
Mithrandirpitti: does it conflict with anything using the removed APIs?01:21
Keybukgeser: ship rules inside gnupg?01:21
Keybukthough those would conflict with those in libccid, no?01:21
=== _MMA1 is now known as _MMA_
=== asac [n=asac@debian/developer/asac] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mithrandirgeser: hm, does that work with the ssh-agent in gnupg-agent?01:22
pittiMithrandir: not in the packaging; I'll check bzr-gtk and bzr-svn01:23
Mithrandirpitti: if any of those use the removed APIs, I think we should add appropriate Breaks01:23
pittiMithrandir: ah, ignore me; they already have versioned bzr dependencies01:24
Keybukgeser: probably better to just wait for the HAL/CK method01:24
pittiMithrandir: so we need to sync bzr-gtk as well01:24
Mithrandirpitti: ok, sounds good to me then.01:25
geserMithrandir: after modifing /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent to start gpg-agent with --enable-ssh-support I can use my OpenPGP card for ssh authentication01:26
Mithrandirgeser: nice.01:28
geserKeybuk: we would have then two rules files for the same device if that's no problem01:28
Keybukgeser: that's a problem01:28
geserKeybuk: any ETA when HAL/CK will be available? for hardy or later?01:29
MithrandirKeybuk: why is that a problem?  The ccid rules mostly just do RUN+="pcscd --hotplug"01:29
pittigeser: hardy; it already more or less works in gutsy01:29
KeybukMithrandir: both also change modes/groups01:29
Keybuksince I know that the behaviour may change in hardy, it seems foolish to add support now for something that we might break or alter in a few weeks time01:31
Keybukespecially since this isn't a regression01:32
=== jrib [n=jrib@upstream/dev/jrib] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jwendell [n=wendell@ubuntu/member/wendell] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== rulus [n=ssh@212.144-244-81.adsl-dyn.isp.belgacom.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Hobbseegeser: but does it do it for scp too?01:37
StevenKscp uses ssh's authentication01:38
=== Hobbsee set it up that way, but....wait, my bad.
=== Hobbsee looks for the dunce cap
=== Krymzon [n=krymzon@dkv112.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== shiyee [n=Shiyee@0x50a16837.abnxx4.adsl-dhcp.tele.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
geserHobbsee: gpg-agent works also as a ssh-agent then, so you can use your gpg-key (if it has the auth capability) for ssh01:42
pittiMithrandir: ok, bug updated wrt. -svn and -gtk.01:42
Hobbseegeser: yeah.  i knew that.  i'd had it working that wya once, but thought it wasnt working that way this time.  it turns out that i suck instead.01:43
=== Hobbsee was scp'ing to the host that didnt do key-based authentification, rather than any of the ones that did.
Hobbseedunce cap material.01:43
=== Spads [i=spacehob@nat/canonical/x-2cbd29a8766aeffe] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== gouki [n=gouki@ubuntu/member/gouki] has joined #ubuntu-devel
geseris a ubuntu-main-sponsor around who can upload bug #134684? it has already an approved UVFe by pitti01:51
ubotuLaunchpad bug 134684 in boost "Upgrade to Version 1.34.1" [Wishlist,In progress]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/13468401:51
dholbachgeser: I can do that01:51
=== freeflying [i=freeflyi@ubuntu/member/freeflying] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== rodarvus [n=rodarvus@ubuntu/member/rodarvus] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jdstrand [n=jamie@mail.strandboge.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiMithrandir: so if you are fine with this, can you please give your blessing in the bug?01:57
Mithrandirpitti: done01:58
=== pedro [n=pedro@pc-3-217-44-190.cm.vtr.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittiMithrandir: cheers01:58
bigonScottK: are you there?02:07
=== shiyee [n=Shiyee@0x50a16837.abnxx4.adsl-dhcp.tele.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
bigonScottK: about tp-gabble, I don't see any uvfe request for the version 0.5.1302:08
=== freeflying [i=freeflyi@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
ScottKbigon: If this is about my latest reply, I was working via e-mail so it may have been on the wrong bug.02:09
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
bigonScottK: no problem with the reply, but you said in a previous comment that you had already an uvfe request but I don't find it02:12
ScottKWell in that case that would be the one I got wrong.02:12
Hobbseei thought there was one that had a second uvfe on it02:13
Hobbseenot just cheese02:14
ScottKbigon: I will confess that it's hard to keep all the telepathy packages straight in my head.02:14
=== pochu [n=emilio@84.Red-83-57-218.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
bigonHobbsee: yep tp-gabble has 2 request, but not for the .13 which cause the regression02:16
Hobbseebigon: why does it have 2 requests?02:17
Hobbseeoh, just 2x new upstream releases02:17
ScottKWe should probably take this to #ubuntu-motu as it's a Universe package.02:19
cjwatsoncalc: please could you add the necessary Pre-Depends to ooo so that this stops happening, notwithstanding whether Launchpad is fixed?02:20
pitticjwatson: FWIW, I consider that needless ballast nowadays...02:22
cjwatsoncalc: Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.10.24) for any deb using a bzip2 data member02:22
cjwatsonpitti: I know, but it's better to have the ballast than to lose ooo binaries until such time as Launchpad is fixed02:22
pitticalc: anyway, I have some time now, I'm going to rescue the current ones and reapply the LP hack02:23
=== jsgotangco [n=JSG@ubuntu/member/jsgotangco] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== alex-weej [n=alex@cpc2-darl3-0-0-cust237.midd.cable.ntl.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pochudoes any archive admin has sync-day anytime soon?02:26
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Gasten [n=Gasten@h52n9c1o1095.bredband.skanova.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pitticalc: hold on, it seems they already removed it; I can't find the test any more in production02:29
pittipochu: mine is on Friday; seb128 and Riddell are on holidays, so they won't do their's02:30
=== fabbione [n=fabbione@ip-66-80-12-66.dsl.sca.megapath.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittipochu: do you need something urgently?02:30
pitticalc: ah, there it is, a grep revealed it; /me disables02:30
pochupitti: no, it can wait until Friday. I was just curious.02:31
sjoerdpitti: Just talked to lennart. It's fine with him if SimpeGladeApp.py is moved to avahi-discover (IOW he's open to patches)02:31
=== Pumpernickel [n=Pumperni@about/essy/bacon/PuMpErNiCkLe] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittisjoerd: ah, cool02:32
sjoerdpitti: Will you do one ? Otherwise i'll probably prepare one later this week02:33
pittisjoerd: no time right now, maybe later; I'm not particularly interested in it, so I'd just file an upstream bug, I think02:34
sjoerdI'll do one later this week then (upstream doesn't care to do it himself)02:35
pitticalc: hm, I can't find the binaries anywhere02:36
pitticalc: and the Pre-Depends: check is still disabled, so that wasn't it02:36
=== zul [n=chuck@ubuntu/member/zul] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== chmj [n=nik0n@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== minghua [i=minghua@ubuntu/member/minghua] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pitticalc: did you get a rejection email?02:45
=== kent [n=kent@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== gicmo [n=gicmo@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== svolpe [n=Gerrath_@unaffiliated/gerrath] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cr3 [n=cr3@modemcable178.77-70-69.static.videotron.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hunger [n=tobias@pd95b0676.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Hattory [i=darkrad@host125-167-dynamic.15-87-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== eggauah [n=daniel@20845101.cps.virtua.com.br] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cprov [n=cprov@canonical/launchpad/cprov] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== AlinuxOS [n=vsichi@host57-130-dynamic.1-87-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Yvonne [n=Yvonne@pdpc/supporter/active/Yvonne] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hunger [n=tobias@pd95b0676.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pittidoko: FYI, I just fixed one of your pet bugs (bug 113145)03:18
ubotuLaunchpad bug 113145 in belocs-locales-bin "language-support-XX needs to be able to generate locales" [Medium,Fix released]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/11314503:18
=== hoora [i=hoora@gateway/tor/x-c3555503e89781a6] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== andrunko [n=andrunko@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== rnorwood [n=rnorwood@adsl-074-167-242-127.sip.rmo.bellsouth.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Hattory [i=darkrad@host125-167-dynamic.15-87-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Ex-Chat"]
=== lionel [n=lionel@ip-149.net-89-3-208.rev.numericable.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ryu [n=chris@unaffiliated/ryu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Gerrath [n=Gerrath_@unaffiliated/gerrath] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== chmj [n=nik0n@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jrib [n=jrib@upstream/dev/jrib] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== TheMuso [n=luke@ubuntu/member/themuso] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== evand [n=evand@ubuntu/member/evand] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mdke [i=mdke@ubuntu/member/mdke] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ryanakca [n=ryan@ubuntu/member/ryanakca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== simira [n=simira@aine.err.no] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tfheen [n=tfheen@aine.err.no] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mr_pouit [n=mrpouit@ubuntu/member/mrpouit] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sbalneav` [n=sbalneav@S0106000b6a5631f9.wp.shawcable.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== kylem [n=kyle@amnesiac.heapspace.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== BenC [n=bcollins@debian/developer/bcollins] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== kent_ [n=kent@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamontdholbach: I'm curious about that patch... why did it need to build-depend gksu?03:39
=== mathiaz [n=mathiaz@ubuntu/member/mathiaz] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mrsno [n=mrsno@cpc3-blfs3-0-0-cust868.belf.cable.ntl.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mjg59Does valgrind work for anyone at the moment? I'm getting vex amd64->IR: unhandled instruction bytes: 0x66 0x66 0x66 0x6603:42
=== fabbione_ [n=fabbione@ip-66-80-12-66.dsl.sca.megapath.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
elkbuntumjg59, asac mentioned something about it earlier03:43
elkbuntumjg59, http://pastebin.mozilla.org/19729503:44
elkbuntudifferent error though, it seems03:44
mjg59elkbuntu: Nope, same one03:45
elkbunturight, i only glanced, didnt see the same string you quoted03:45
mjg59Line 1003:45
mjg59Ok, so not just me. Turns out I'm not special.03:45
elkbuntuaha. im going crossied folding leaflets for saturday03:45
elkbuntuwell you and asac can go cry in a corner together at least :)03:46
pittihi mathiaz03:47
dholbachlamont: it should depends, not build-depends03:47
lamontdholbach: ok.  sadly, that permanently(?) forks it03:49
lamontalthough with it being a Depend: not a build-depend I _could_ munge debian/control in the clean target... I so dislike debian/control.in files03:50
asacelkbuntu: right ... its a painful especially because i wanted to fix crashes today03:55
dholbachlamont: why?03:57
dholbachlamont: debian uses gksu too, no?03:57
lamontuh.. dunno.  does it?03:58
dholbachto run a program as root, sure they do :)03:58
=== lamont uses 'sudo nmapfe' in an xterm....
dholbachgksu will make use of sudo in ubuntu and su in debian03:58
dholbachso that should be fine03:59
asacdoko: maybe your binutils upload broke valgrind?03:59
lamontdholbach: ah, ok03:59
lamontwhere gksudo just uses sudo?03:59
=== dendrobates [n=dendroba@ip-66-80-12-66.dsl.sca.megapath.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
asacdoko: like valgrind echo hallo (http://pastebin.mozilla.org/197295)04:00
pitticalc: OO.o rescued, thanks to cprov04:00
calcpitti: ok thanks :)04:01
calccjwatson: ok04:01
pitticalc: pre-depends check was not yet disabled again when you uploaded first, but it's done now04:02
calcpitti: oh ok, i'm guessing it will pop back up again next month?04:02
pitticalc: let's hope that they fix it for good in RF by then :)04:02
calcpitti: oh yea openoffice.org-l10n still shows failed to upload as well04:03
=== agoliveira [n=adilson@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
calcoh now its good04:04
pitticalc: known, cprov is reprocessing it as we speak04:04
calcah ok :)04:04
cprovpitti: "fix it for good" is more like "break it hadly" because we will have to remove checks and tests, it can't be good :(04:04
cprovhttps://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org-l10n/1:2.3.0~rc1-1ubuntu1 -> rescued too04:05
=== manchicken [n=manckn@ubuntu/member/manchicken] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== bddebian [n=bddebian@c-71-224-172-103.hsd1.pa.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== gpocentek [i=gauvain@sd-10791.dedibox.fr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
calccprov: well that particular check/test is obsolete for several years now04:10
cprovcalc: it will get removed, no problem.04:11
=== jetscreamer [n=jetscrea@unaffiliated/jetscreamer] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jack_wyt_ [n=jack@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
calccprov: ok04:23
=== manchicken_ [n=manckn@12-226-72-69.client.mchsi.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cpro1 [n=cprov@201-68-28-217.dsl.telesp.net.br] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== j_ack [n=j_ack@p508D800D.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== rulus [n=rulus_|@212.144-244-81.adsl-dyn.isp.belgacom.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== rnorwood [i=rnorwood@nat/redhat/x-617709d270309676] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== agoliveira is now known as agoliveira_lunch
=== calc got business cards yesterday :)
=== Mez [n=Mez@ubuntu/member/mez] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lukketto [n=lukketto@host80-193-dynamic.7-87-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hunger_t [n=tobias@pd95b0676.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pygidoko, around?04:48
=== mthaddon [n=mthaddon@canonical/launchpad/mthaddon] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mathiazBenC: did you get a chance to look at the apparmor patch for l-u-m I sent you on friday ?04:52
=== redbaron [n=redbaron@blk-138-79-197.eastlink.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
manchicken_Are folks aware of this error in the flashplugin-nonfree installer: "update-alternatives: unable to make /usr/lib/midbrowser/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so.dpkg-tmp a symlink to /etc/alternatives/midbrowser-flashplugin: No such file or directory"04:55
bigonmanchicken_: see bug #13885304:58
manchicken_Bot die?04:59
=== lbm [n=lbm@0x555373ab.adsl.cybercity.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mc44 [n=mc44@unaffiliated/mc44] has joined #ubuntu-devel
BenCmathiaz: kylem handled all the apparmor stuff05:02
=== Knightlust [n=dax@ubuntu/member/knightlust] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hunger_t_ [n=tobias@pd95b0676.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ScottLij [n=scott@24-180-196-49.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Amaranth [n=travis@ubuntu/member/Amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-devel
sorencalc: Cool! Then mine must be on their way, too! :)05:10
=== calc [n=ccheney@conr-adsl-209-169-124-200.consolidated.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== rbrunhuber [n=Miranda@highway.mvi.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
calcnetwork manager still sucks05:21
calcit kills wired network connections on upgrade still it appears05:21
calcor something does, i just upgraded my desktop in the other room and my network was dead when i tried to connect to it from my laptop05:21
=== hunger [n=tobias@pd95b0676.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
pitticu later, I have an appointment now05:26
=== jetscreamer [n=jetscrea@unaffiliated/jetscreamer] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== agoliveira_lunch is now known as agoliveira
=== xerakko [n=xerakko@debian/developer/xerakko] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dexem [n=dani@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jordi [n=jordi@17.pool85-52-167.static.orange.es] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Kopfgeldjaeger [n=nicolai@p54AD63CF.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jordi [n=jordi@17.pool85-52-167.static.orange.es] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== giskard [n=giskard@213-140-22-74.fastres.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== iceman [n=iceman@cable-87-244-153-189.upc.chello.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sabdfl [n=sabdfl@ubuntu/member/pdpc.silver.sabdfl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jetscreamer [n=jetscrea@unaffiliated/jetscreamer] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== StevenK_ [n=stevenk@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== StevenK_ is now known as StevenK
=== LongPointyStick [n=mystery@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== stgraber [n=stgraber@dakara.stgraber.org] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== marcel [n=marcel@lt3.xs4all.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Mez_ [n=Mez@ubuntu/member/mez] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== duese [n=Ident@p5B03F5F9.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== elkbuntu [n=melissa@ubuntu/member/elkbuntu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== rodarvus [n=rodarvus@ubuntu/member/rodarvus] has joined #ubuntu-devel
cjwatsonbryce: my new Dell laptop suffers from that notorious xresprobe bug where it buggers up the screen during installation; I can reproduce it reliably by booting into rescue mode and running '/usr/share/xresprobe/xprobe.sh intel'. Is there anything I can do to help you fix it?06:16
cjwatsonbryce: I tried adding vbetool save/restore stanzas before and after running X, but that didn't help06:17
=== mc44 [n=mc44@unaffiliated/mc44] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lukketto [n=lukketto@host80-193-dynamic.7-87-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== sn0 [n=mrsno@unaffiliated/sn0] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== giskard [n=giskard@213-140-22-74.fastres.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== sn0 [n=mrsno@unaffiliated/sn0] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== johanbr [n=j@JBrannlund.MathStat.Dal.Ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tormod [n=tormod@] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Ex-Chat"]
dokoasac: which binutils version?06:40
=== thekorn [n=thekorn@a89-182-142-96.net-htp.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Martinp23 [n=martinp2@wikimedia/Martinp23] has joined #ubuntu-devel
asacdoko: latest? 2.18-0ubuntu206:44
asacdoko: i haven't used valgrind for a few weeks ... so cannot tell if its related at all06:44
asacdoko: just a guess ;)06:44
=== eugman [n=eugene@client-146-186-8-132.mobility-br.psu.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== eugman [n=eugene@client-146-186-8-132.mobility-br.psu.edu] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== DktrKranz [n=Luca@ubuntu/member/dktrkranz] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dokoasac: hmm, so it worked with a pre-2.18 version?06:50
asacdoko: cannot say for sure ... i have recently upgraded my amd system to gutsy. before i only had an i386 gutsy06:53
asacdoko: but mjg59 complained today about valgrind as well ... so maybe its indeed a recent regression06:53
=== eugman [n=eugene@client-146-186-8-132.mobility-br.psu.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
eugmanNormally I wouldn't ask in here but I honestly can't find the information. I want to turn a python game into a deb. However I can only find general packaging information. I don't know if I can do it with distutils somehow and where the data and lib files would end up were the game installed so I can change the script to be able to acess them.06:57
dobeyeugman: if you look at the solarwolf package, it's probably a good starting point06:58
eugmanOk, so there isn't necessary a standard?06:59
dobeythere is the general debian packaging policy for python. i don't think there is anything more specific for "game written in python"07:00
=== marcel [n=marcel@lt3.xs4all.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
dobeyi don't think ubuntu alters that policy, either07:00
dobeyeugman: http://www.us.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/07:01
Mezdobey, no,. ubuntu uses the debian python policy, i know cause i've been moaned at for not adhering to it07:01
dobeyMez: yeah. ubuntu uses all the debian packaging policy. i don't think it is really deviated from much, if anywhere07:02
=== cprov [n=cprov@canonical/launchpad/cprov] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Mezer, i think there are a couple of places (ubutnu specific maintainer fields mainly i think!)07:02
=== hjmf [n=hjmf@37.Red-81-32-9.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
eugmanok well that and solarwolf probably covers what I need. I still don't know how to get a deb out of some python files and some data. Would I use destuitls?07:03
eugmaner distutils07:03
=== rodarvus [n=rodarvus@ubuntu/member/rodarvus] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Nicke_ [n=niclasa@h161n2fls31o808.telia.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ubotu [n=ubotu@ubuntu/bot/ubotu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== bigon [i=bigon@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== dpm [n=dpm@p54A13579.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== j_ack [n=j_ack@p508D800D.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== coffeedude [n=coffeedu@68-184-60-223.dhcp.mtgm.al.charter.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== chrisle [n=chris@e178092148.adsl.alicedsl.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== thekorn [n=thekorn@a89-182-142-96.net-htp.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== xerakko [n=xerakko@debian/developer/xerakko] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tormod [n=tormod@80-219-112-71.dclient.hispeed.ch] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jamesh [n=james@canonical/launchpad/jamesh] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== giskard [n=giskard@213-140-22-74.fastres.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== alkove [n=alkove@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lukketto [n=lukketto@host80-193-dynamic.7-87-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== amitk [n=amit@a91-154-119-106.elisa-laajakaista.fi] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cprov [n=cprov@canonical/launchpad/cprov] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== illovae [n=illovae@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zasf [n=matteo@host239-51-dynamic.3-87-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jamesh [n=james@canonical/launchpad/jamesh] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== DktrKranz [n=Luca@ubuntu/member/dktrkranz] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== marcel [n=marcel@lt3.xs4all.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
siretartasac: hi08:08
siretartasac: I have to say that since today, I also see these funny NetworkManager: <info>  SUP: response was 'TIMEOUT[CLI] ' messages in daemon.log08:08
siretartasac: I've grepped through my logfiles, the started just today08:08
=== finalbeta [n=viper@d54C6865D.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
siretartasac: and looking through my dpkg.log, I don't see something too fishy there either :/08:10
siretartasac: well, I know you don't want to hear that, but when I compare dpkg.log and my daemon.log, these timeouts started after upgrading to network-manager 0.6.5-0ubuntu1108:11
siretartso I'd suspect that upgrade causing the errors.08:11
siretarthmmm.. and the changelog indicates that some code that might be relevant to the timeouts have been touched in that particular upload08:14
=== jorgec [n=jorgec@ethos.battleaxe.net] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== kirkland [n=nkirklan@ip70-186-168-43.br.br.cox.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jcastro [n=jcastro@ethos.battleaxe.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lamont+TryExec=gksudo nmapfe08:24
lamont+Exec=gksu nmapfe08:24
lamontshould those both maybe say 'gksu'?08:24
Amaranthlamont: the TryExec should probably be _just_ 'gksu'08:27
lamontExec=gksu nmapfe08:27
lamontlike so?08:27
=== Rospo_Zoppo [n=Mario_Bo@d83-190-15-231.cust.tele2.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jdstrand [n=jamie@mail.strandboge.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Rospo_Zoppo [n=Mario_Bo@d83-190-15-231.cust.tele2.it] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== lamont makes gksu a Recommends: since nmapfe doesn't technically _require_ gksu
Amaranthlamont: yeah08:28
lamontor is that evil?08:28
Amaranthwait, not gksu08:28
Amaranthi meant it should be 'nmapfe'08:29
=== Amaranth needs more caffeine
lamontTryExec means that it tries that, and failure is an option?08:29
AmaranthTryExec means it won't show it in the menu if that binary doesn't exist08:29
lamontso it actually wants to be gksu08:30
lamontor is it a list of binaries?08:30
Amaranthin pyxdg it would probably just blow up08:30
lamont(since the exec will fail if gksu isn't there...)08:30
Amaranthlet me check the spec08:30
DktrKranzlamont, synaptic (which uses gksu too) recommends gksu because of kde08:30
DktrKranzis available for both DE08:31
Amaranthlamont: TryExec is not a list08:31
lamontAmaranth: ok08:31
Amaranthlamont: in pyxdg at least if you put in 'gksu nmapfe' it'll just fail so the .desktop would be marked as hidden08:32
=== lamont goes with:
lamontExec=gksu nmapfe08:32
AmaranthSo either use nmapfe or nothing at all in there08:32
lamontand Recommends: gksu08:32
AmaranthTryExec is not required08:32
lamontjust drop it entirely?08:33
AmaranthWell, it'd be better to have TryExec=nmapfe08:33
lamontif nmapfe is installed, then you get the .desktop and the binary08:33
Amaranthbecause if someone using alacarte to edit that entry in their menu alacarte makes a copy of the .desktop in ~/.local/share/applications and that does not go away when they uninstall it08:33
lamontif it's not installed, then you get neither08:33
Amaranththe TryExec would make that entry be hidden08:33
lamontExec=gksu nmapfe08:34
Amaranththen make gksu a depends08:34
jdstrandI am helping #ubuntu-server and dendrobates out with https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ldap-authentication-client.  I have a situation where package A no longer provides a conf file.  package B is a configuration package for A and provides a different conf file for A.  Can I use B's debconf to prompt the user to delete (via B's postinst) package A's abandoned config file if it still exists, if B has a versioned depends on A?08:34
=== pitti [n=pitti@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== thekorn [n=thekorn@a89-182-142-96.net-htp.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== rpereira [n=rpereira@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
keescookjdstrand: I can't quote a packaging rule that says it's okay, but it sounds reasonable to me.  :)08:41
jdstrandkeescook: I thought it reasonable too, but wanted to be sure08:42
=== sbalneav [n=sbalneav@S0106000b6a5631f9.wp.shawcable.net] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== bigon [i=bigon@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@33-253.dsl.iskon.hr] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== norsetto [n=Cesare@host86-216-dynamic.3-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hoora [i=hoora@gateway/tor/x-782ed86f05e04269] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== alkove [n=alkove@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== kent [n=kent@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mbiebl [n=michael@p4FD2F081.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jamesh [n=james@canonical/launchpad/jamesh] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zenrox [n=zenrox@pool-71-115-208-222.spknwa.dsl-w.verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== agoliveira is now known as agoliveira_brb
MacSlowAmaranth, do you happen to know why it is not possible to set 'vacuum' as the animation-tpye for 'minimize'... even after changing animation.xml and restarting compiz?09:07
AmaranthMacSlow: it's not a minimize-type effect, i guess09:08
MacSlowit's the same code as magiclamp I guess09:10
=== ant30 [n=ant30@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mvoMacSlow: hm, that seems to work for me, lets see if I have the latest packages09:12
Amaranthoh, i guess the latest oddities with compiz animation settings are upstream09:12
Amaranthanyone else notice it doing stupid things with gecko tooltips, gecko menus, notification-daemon windows, etc?09:13
MacSlowAmaranth, jup09:14
Amaranthwill make up a patch to revert these changes :)09:15
Amaranthah, they think the workarounds plugin makes some things they had not necessary09:16
=== illovae [n=illovae@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== highvolt1ge [n=highvolt@dsl-243-44-127.telkomadsl.co.za] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== zenrox [n=zenrox@pool-71-115-208-222.spknwa.dsl-w.verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
MacSlowdodge is funny09:19
Amaranthhrm, that didn't help09:19
=== dwatson [n=david@planetwatson.plus.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Amaranthoh, typo09:20
\shAmaranth, re..you know what's the best...the upgrade worked on my home desktop without anyproblem...09:22
\shAmaranth, everything is working...or actually I should reboot my machine to see if I'm right09:22
Amaranth\sh: hehe09:22
mvo\sh: did you use update-manager for the upgrade?09:23
\shmvo, nope09:23
\shmvo, i never used update-manager09:23
_MMA_Amaranth: Would you be the one to talk to about how "Show Desktop" can't be set to a corner now? Looks like i would set it in the "General" with "Hide all windows and focus desktop" but it doesn't work. I wan=snt sure if I should mention it upstream or on LP.09:23
=== mdz_ [n=mdz@ip-81-1-105-230.cust.homechoice.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
\shmvo, but what I saw on my laptop and work desktop is brokeness in some gconf xml files...and the laptop and work desktop machine are dist-upgraded from feisty09:24
\shAmaranth, mvo: give me some seconds to reboot the machine and see if everything is ok...09:25
=== sbalneav [n=sbalneav@S0106000b6a5631f9.wp.shawcable.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
MacSlowAmaranth, I think I found a way to fix it09:26
=== pbn_ is now known as pbn
MacSlowAmaranth, need to touch the source (thus rebuild the package)... I wanted to avoid that initally09:27
=== XSource [n=Kabyl@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== rpereira [n=rpereira@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== aigarius [n=aigarius@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Amaranth [n=travis@ubuntu/member/Amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== MagnusR [n=magru@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
Amaranth_MMA_: actually i don't remember that ever working09:29
\shAmaranth, rebooted, no black background nothing, even the mouse is ok09:29
Amaranth\sh: cool09:29
=== rpereira [n=rpereira@ubuntu/member/rpereira] has joined #ubuntu-devel
_MMA_Amaranth: Actually last time it worked for me was Edgy/Beryl. :-/09:31
_MMA_gah *Feisty09:31
AmaranthActually it was not working for me in beryl either09:31
_MMA_Oh well. :)09:31
Amaranthmvo: should i put these settings changes in compiz-fusion-plugins-main or libcompizconfig's global.xml file?09:32
Amaranththat was a stupid question :)09:32
\shAmaranth, hopefully there is something with the X server which wasn't there before the update...I wonder09:34
=== Spads [n=spacehob@unaffiliated/spads] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== slomo_ [n=slomo@ubuntu/member/slomo] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jetscreamer [n=jetscrea@unaffiliated/jetscreamer] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== DktrKranz [n=Luca@ubuntu/member/dktrkranz] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== marcel [n=marcel@lt3.xs4all.nl] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== m1ke [n=mike@c-67-186-85-180.hsd1.il.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mathiazpitti: could you have a look at bug 120085 ?09:51
ubotuLaunchpad bug 120085 in sysklogd "Various problems running syslogd with "-u syslog" option" [Medium,Triaged]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/12008509:51
=== kyled185 [n=kyle@kyle-laptop-gutsy.truman.edu] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mathiazpitti: I've attached a debdiff that should fix the problem, but I don't know if it could be accepted for gutsy.09:52
=== Lamego [n=lamego@a81-84-231-49.cpe.netcabo.pt] has joined #ubuntu-devel
mhbuniverse is enabled by default in gutsy, right?09:58
mathiazmhb: yes09:59
mhbmathiaz: thanks, just checking09:59
ScottKmhb: That's for new installs.  On upgrade it won't be enabled if it wasn't before, IIRC.10:00
=== Keybuk [n=scott@wing-commander.netsplit.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jamesh [n=james@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== illovae_ [n=illovae@lns-bzn-38-82-253-78-105.adsl.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Arador [n=dcg@8.pool80-103-0.dynamic.orange.es] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mat [n=mat@home.virgule.info] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== asac_ [n=asac@debian/developer/asac] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== kyled185 [n=kyle@kyle-laptop-gutsy.truman.edu] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== illovae_ is now known as illovae
=== PriceChild [n=pricechi@ubuntu/member/pdpc.supporter.student.PriceChild] has joined #ubuntu-devel
asacsiretart: naturally those timeout messages start with the latest upload10:25
asacsiretart: i added them ... before it would just fail with wierd errors10:25
asacsiretart: i replace no reply with that reply if the client socket times out10:25
=== bryce_ [n=bryce@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
asacsiretart: the timeout is 2 seconds for normal operations and i bumped it to 12 seconds or so for operations that appear to take longer ... that helped alot of times, but not always ... those that still take longer are those you ses with TIMEOUT[CLI] 10:27
asacsiretart: i played around and found that those timeouts are operations that appear to block infinitely10:27
asacsiretart: so ... my request for help was about figuring out what wpasupplicant does when you see those timeouts10:28
sbalneavjcastro: So... How's it going, eh?10:30
=== d33p__ [n=d33p@] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== milli [n=milli@ftcl002.digis.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== agoliveira_brb is now known as agoliveira
=== didymo [n=ashley@CPE-61-9-197-223.static.nsw.bigpond.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jamesh [n=james@canonical/launchpad/jamesh] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== lousygarua [n=lousygar@bzq-88-153-134-96.red.bezeqint.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lousygaruahello, i'm from the ubuntu-il team and we've come up with an interesting suggestion to extend gettext functionality, is this the channel to discuss it?10:41
=== d33p__ is now known as luisbg
=== amitk [n=amit@a91-154-119-106.elisa-laajakaista.fi] has joined #ubuntu-devel
evandlousygarua: the ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list would probably be best.  Many of the developers are already gone for the day.10:49
dobeylousygarua: what do you want do?10:51
=== Seveas [n=seveas@ubuntu/member/seveas] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== YokoZar_ [n=scott@c-67-166-147-83.hsd1.ca.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
YokoZar_hmm, flashplugin-nonfree doesn't seem to be working for me in Gutsy.  Still says no flash installed.10:52
=== lbm [n=lbm@0x555373ab.adsl.cybercity.dk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lousygaruadobey: in hebrew there we usually translate sentences to fit male users, but some guy in the team thought we can hack it so it detects female users and just uses female po file or whatever for them10:54
lousygaruadobey: it can also solve many of our translation debates10:54
agoliveiralousygarua: I'm a bit of language freak so, would mind explain me why is this kind of translation needed in hwbrew?10:55
lousygaruaagoliveira: in hebrew (and arabic, etc..) sentences like "How would you like to partition your disk?" go differnetly for male and females10:56
lousygaruaagoliveira: we usually phrase them for males because that's standard, or try using a plural form10:57
agoliveiralousygarua: I see. In portuguese we have such kind of differences as well.10:58
luisbglousygarua, the same happens in spanish10:58
=== jussi01 [n=jussi@dyn3-82-128-186-176.psoas.suomi.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
luisbglousygarua, the norm is to use the male version when it can include both male and female10:58
dobeylots of languages have similar male/female/neuter forms10:58
lousygaruahmm so the ubuntu project can really do something new and innovative here10:59
luisbgsome cool ubuntu feature to gnome could be to ask if the user is male or female10:59
dobeydoes gettext not support multiple sex forms?10:59
luisbgand make the .po translation be gender intelligent10:59
dobeyi know it supports multiple plural forms10:59
lousygaruadobey: i never encountered multiple sexes in gettext stuff10:59
dobeybut there really is no way to know whether a male or female is sitting in front of the screen11:00
luisbgdobey, it can be held in the user account information11:00
luisbgIMHO ubuntu women would really digg the idea11:00
=== Skiessi [n=qwe@dsl-roibrasgw1-fe88fb00-133.dhcp.inet.fi] has joined #ubuntu-devel
lousygarualuisbg: dobey: exactly. we are in a multiple user environment on unixes11:00
dobeyluisbg: but if one user is logged in, and another person is sitting at the keyboard...11:01
luisbgdobey, that would be as illogical as having one person use anothers password11:02
luisbgor what is behind it11:02
luisbgit's documents, it's saved firefox passwords, and all that11:02
lousygaruadobey: i don't mind the OS to think i am a girl when i'm fixing something on my g/f's laptop or whatever11:02
luisbgeach person should have 1 user11:02
dobeyluisbg: logic is not what users are about.11:03
dobeythey are humans, not computers.11:03
lousygaruadobey: in the future we can add special devices that recognizes if you are a male or a female on runtime. i don't think it should bother us now11:03
wasabiI'd hate to have one of those devices "malfunction"11:04
cjwatsonlousygarua: I'd really like to ask that this not be done in a manner specific to Ubuntu11:04
lousygaruawasabi: lol11:04
cjwatsonlousygarua: it is very important that such critical infrastructure as gettext be standard across systems11:04
lousygaruacjwatson: of course. but it seemed logical to me to go here first, or at least get the ubuntu support before i contact upstream11:05
cjwatsonI believe there is a mailing list dedicated to discussion of gettext11:05
lousygaruacjwatson: i'm still lookign for one :)11:05
lousygaruacjwatson: there's also a problem with systems that just wont' store sex information about the user11:06
cjwatsonI'm not wild about the idea personally, but TBH upstream is going to be much better informed than folks here about the feasibility11:06
luisbglousygarua, contact upstream and please let me know what they reply11:06
luisbgI'm curious how this can follow on11:07
wasabinvidia-glx-new.  Why doesn't this replace nvidia-glx?11:08
wasabi(I do not refer to dpkg Replaces metadata, I mean, why doesn't nvidia-glx cease to exist)11:08
wasabiIt's a bit confusing having two packages, and sort of makes coexisting graphics cards... non-intuitive?11:08
luisbgwasabi, +111:09
wasabiI'm not asking for a vote. I'm asking for a real reason.11:09
wasabiI'm sure there is a real reason.11:09
wasabiJust can't seem to find it. =)11:09
luisbgI've heard they -new supports more cards11:10
agoliveira-new includes series 100 driver which is much newer11:10
wasabiUh huh. Sure. And it supports old cards too, as far as I can tell.11:10
_MMA_There is some overlap but -new goes higher.11:11
agoliveirawasabi: I'm not sure. I vaguely remember reading that the new drivers dropped support for series 2 cards.11:11
luisbgshouldn't they merge?11:11
_MMA_That might be a big package. :)11:12
wasabiThat's silly.11:12
wasabiGrrr. So coexsting series 2 drivers with new stuff is not possible?11:12
luisbgtwo small better than one big?11:12
agoliveiraIn my case (Asus G1 laptop) I need a series 100 driver or I can't switch to an external LCD via DVI11:12
agoliveirawasabi: As I said, not sure.11:12
=== ogra [n=ogra@ubuntu/member/ogra] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== `23meg [n=m@ubuntu/member/-23meg] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jamesh [n=james@canonical/launchpad/jamesh] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== ScottK [n=ScottK@ubuntu/member/scottk] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== xtknight [n=xtknight@c-68-43-122-211.hsd1.mi.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cassidy [n=cassidy@251.139-240-81.adsl-dyn.isp.belgacom.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== eggauah [n=daniel@20845101.cps.virtua.com.br] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jussi_ [n=jussi@dyn3-82-128-185-239.psoas.suomi.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== cassidy_ [n=cassidy@59.196-242-81.adsl-dyn.isp.belgacom.be] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== j_ack [n=j_ack@p508D800D.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== hoora [i=hoora@gateway/tor/x-1179316ec6b48871] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jono [n=jono@ubuntu/member/jono] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== johanbr [n=j@blk-224-159-249.eastlink.ca] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jussi01 [n=jussi@dyn3-82-128-185-239.psoas.suomi.net] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Konversation]
=== Martinp24 [n=martinp2@wikimedia/Martinp23] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mr_pouit [n=mrpouit@ubuntu/member/mrpouit] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== _MMA_ [n=_MMA_@cpe-071-070-203-016.nc.res.rr.com] has left #ubuntu-devel []
=== _MMA_ [n=_MMA_@cpe-071-070-203-016.nc.res.rr.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== jamesh [n=james@canonical/launchpad/jamesh] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== paran [n=paran@cl-56.sto-01.se.sixxs.net] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Gman [i=gman@nat/sun/x-ec9f4b25189e6274] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== mdke [i=mdke@planters.dreamhost.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== _MMA_ [n=_MMA_@cpe-071-070-203-016.nc.res.rr.com] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== Mez [n=Mez@ubuntu/member/mez] has joined #ubuntu-devel
=== tormod [n=tormod@80-219-112-71.dclient.hispeed.ch] has left #ubuntu-devel ["Ex-Chat"]
=== Mez [n=Mez@ubuntu/member/mez] has joined #ubuntu-devel

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!