slangasekFujitsu: I had notes telling me there was supposed to be an advance warning of the impending freeze, but I was counting down from the wrong point and didn't notice it until the day of the freeze itself (today) :/12:38
=== bicchi [n=albert@adsl-065-006-167-199.sip.mia.bellsouth.net] has left #ubuntu-motu []
osmosishow come I dont see a Xen team listed ?12:39
Fujitsuosmosis: ubuntu-xen12:40
osmosisFujitsu: where ?12:40
Fujitsuosmosis: On Launchpad.12:40
osmosisFujitsu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Teams12:40
FujitsuXen is special and not entirely universe, so probably doesn't have a page.12:41
FujitsuAnd the wiki is woefully out of date in places.12:41
Fujitsuslangasek: When did the release schedule change12:42
FujitsuWell, actually, I guess the final freeze isn't marked...12:42
slangasekyeah, that's the problem12:42
persiaFujitsu: It's hidden under "ReleaseCandidate"12:42
slangasekexcept the freezing mentioned under ReleaseCandidate is still different12:43
FujitsuReleaseCandidate says that after it only showstoppers. But nothing about ReleaseCandidateFreeze, hm...12:43
Fujitsu(and it should probably be clarified that it now applies to universe too)12:43
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@6-199.dsl.iskon.hr] has joined #ubuntu-motu
persiaCertainly that.  Freezes applying to Universe are fairly new (Excepting UVF and New Packages).12:44
slangasekwell, in practice the BetaFreeze "applied" to Universe in that packages had to be hand-approved12:45
slangasekdoesn't mean there was much review of them along the way12:45
FujitsuThat has always been regarded as a Soyuz limitation.12:45
FujitsuIt was a given that packages would be waved through without checking.12:45
persiaslangasek: But it specifically says in BetaFreeze that the freeze is lifted after BetaRelease.12:46
DktrKranzslangasek, must MOTUs stop to upload packages and wait for an ack from RC team or they simply do as usual and RC will review them by hand?12:47
slangasekDktrKranz: the latter12:47
DktrKranzok, thanks12:47
DktrKranzanyway, I think there should be an accurate selection before uploading a package in ordert to avoid high loads for RC. Am I wrong?12:49
persiaNow I'm confused.  I thought that we were only to work on specific release-relevant bugs, rather than doing as usual.12:49
Fujitsupersia: As usual, as opposed to asking for prior RM approval.12:51
slangasekpersia: I'm requesting clarification from veteran members of the release team.  the notes I'm going from don't distinguish between universe and main and so I also didn't distinguish in my mail, but it's entirely plausible to me that it's not meant to apply to universe12:51
persiaFujitsu: Ah.  Right.12:51
FujitsuAha. Yay for lack of documentation!12:51
persiaslangasek: OK.  Thanks.  I'll prep stuff as if it would be applied then (pending resolution).12:52
=== Nightrose [n=lydia@amarok/rokymotion/nightrose] has joined #ubuntu-motu
slangasekpersia: ok, it's intended that https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess#head-c29dbda80b94dddd19d454dc8f454fcadc6b3302 applies, which means that even though the archive is "frozen", we'll give only a passing review to universe uploads.  Sorry for the confusion.12:53
persiaslangasek: That makes more sense.  Thanks.  No worries on the confusion: I've been away for around three months, so carry a fair amount of uncertainty returning.12:54
Fujitsuslangasek: Aha, thanks for the clarification.12:55
=== DarkMageZ [n=richard@ppp121-44-75-228.lns10.syd6.internode.on.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
slangasekdo you think a follow-up email is warranted, or will word-of-mouth take it from here?12:55
persiaslangasek: You're probably safe.  People who want to upload will likely check here if there are questions.12:56
slangasekok, cool12:56
DktrKranzthanks for clarifying that12:57
FujitsuMight be an idea to stick something in the topic of either here or #ubuntu-devel.12:57
persiaIt still needs manual (if light) review by the Release Team, so in a sense, it is frozen anyway.  Perhaps in /topic here, but in -devel?12:59
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
TheMusopochu: Thanks for doing minutes, not that there was much to cover. :)01:07
pochuTheMuso: hehe, true that :-)01:07
persiaTheMuso: Hi.  I wanted to ask about ubuntustudio-desktop as a dependency of ubuntustudio-*.01:11
TheMusopersia: Yes, we don't want that either, we were trying to get things straightened out for disks, but I've just uploaded a new meta to remove that.01:12
persiaTheMuso: Ah...  Cool.  I was just confused.01:12
minghuaShould new upstream version upload of a package already in archive use REVU?01:22
persiaminghua: If you need UVFe, it should be in an alternate repository (REVU is a good example of such a repository).01:22
minghuapersia: Not my package.  Just a question about the general policy.  I'll take that as a yes, thanks.01:23
persiaminghua: More generally then, before UVF, it just gets uploaded.  After UVF, it needs to be somewhere for review.01:24
minghuapersia: But non-MOTU can still upload to REVU for review, right?01:25
persiaminghua: Sure (although I'm not sure what the answer will be after UDS).01:25
minghuaBTW is there any REVU admin around?  My account seems to be removed after the move.01:26
=== anibal [n=anibal@debian/developer/anibal] has joined #ubuntu-motu
minghua(...or should I upload a package, therefore create an account, then bother the admins to add privilege for me?)01:27
persiaminghua: I don't appear to be a REVU admin anymore, but what are you trying to accomplish?01:27
minghuapersia: Just add a comment.01:27
minghuaNot urgent at all, obviously.01:28
persiaminghua:  Ah.  I think you'll need an admin then (unless something has changed).01:29
minghuapersia: Or if you are so kind, please comment on http://revu.tauware.de/details.py?upid=339 and ask the uploader to run lintian (at least read the lintian output after uploading).01:29
persiaminghua: On the other hand, the work described in https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-motu/2007-August/002104.html might have given you a different account.01:29
Fujitsuminghua: Anybody with an account on sparky (ie. ubuntu-dev) can actually promote users.01:30
persiaFujitsu: it's not a direct map to ubuntu-dev (or my account would work).01:30
minghuaFujitsu: Thanks.  Let me try the thing in persia's link first.01:31
minghuaThanks to persia too. :-)01:31
Fujitsupersia: The accounts on sparky should be pretty much everybody, though the syncing script apparently hasn't run in a while.01:31
persiaFujitsu: Around 6 months, but I understand that the administrator will be more active again soon :)01:32
minghuaYay, I'm in now.01:34
minghuapersia: Thanks, the procedure in the mail you pointed to worked.01:34
persiaminghua: Great.  I've also relayed your comment.  Let me know if you want to rephrase, and I'll delete.01:34
minghuaApparently iceape is quite stubborn about remembering my logins.01:34
minghuapersia: The comment is good, thanks (actually, more polite than I would have put it :-P).01:36
persiaminghua: I like to provide encouragement :)01:36
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@6-199.dsl.iskon.hr] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Vorian [n=Steve@ubuntu/member/pdpc.supporter.active.Vorian] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== zakame [i=zakame@ubuntu/member/zakame] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== doko [n=doko@dslb-088-073-075-227.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Fujitsu wonders why most of libapache-*'s Debian unmetdeps bugs haven't had a response in the 4 months since they were filed.
minghuaFujitsu: Apache 1 or Apache 2 packages?01:56
Fujitsuminghua: Apache 1.01:56
slangasekbecause they're packages someone uploaded 8 years ago with a userbase of 5? :)01:57
Fujitsuslangasek: Heh, probably.01:57
minghuaFujitsu: I think all apache 1 packages are out of testing now.  But I'm sure slangasek knows better than I do.01:57
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
slangasekafraid they aren't02:01
slangasekwish they were :)02:01
slangasek(the main holdout is php4)02:01
=== fedefede0101 [n=Fede@unaffiliated/fedefede0101] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== khermans__ [i=khermans@nat/cisco/x-440000dd39cd28b8] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== _MMA_ [n=_MMA_@cpe-071-070-203-016.nc.res.rr.com] has left #ubuntu-motu []
persiaIsn't PHP4 EOL?02:04
Fujitsupersia: Not until December, IIRC.02:04
=== Sp4rKy_ [n=Sp4rKy@dunnewind.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== LaserJock [n=mantha@ubuntu/member/laserjock] has joined #ubuntu-motu
slangasekpersia: php4 is already dead in unstable, it's stuck in testing because it has the same problem as apache1 itself02:12
slangasek(too many reverse-deps that won't go awaaaaayyy)02:12
persiaslangasek: Ah.  I can sympathise.02:13
FujitsuSurely 4 months is enough for somebody to come and kill them without the maintainer?02:13
persiaAre there removal bugs filed?  If not, they may never go...02:13
LaserJockok, so what is a good CLI way to take out a variable string from another string?02:15
FujitsuLaserJock: How is the variable string separated from the rest?02:15
LaserJockslangasek: are you the one we need to ask for a RC freeze exception?02:15
persiaLaserJock: Do you mean something like s/$foo//?02:15
FujitsuAnd by take it out, do you mean return the variable bit, or remove it from the original?02:15
LaserJockpersia: basically yeah02:16
LaserJockI'm doing some translation stuff02:16
persiaLaserJock: I like sed for that.02:16
slangasekLaserJock: if necessary, though usually you should let the uploads do the talking :)02:16
LaserJockI need to turn about-edubuntu-CC.po into CC.po02:16
Joe_CoThttps://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/deluge-torrent/+bug/149050 Found the issue, worked with the developer for the patch, patch works. Anyone wanna package it, or does anyone wanna sponsor mine?02:16
ubotuLaunchpad bug 149050 in deluge-torrent "Deluge torrent client: Cannot set file priority, as it continually claims that Full Allocation is not set" [Undecided,Confirmed] 02:16
=== luisbg [n=d33p@ubuntu/member/luisbg] has joined #ubuntu-motu
persia(e.g. `sed -i s/'REMOVE ME'//g foo`)02:16
LaserJockbut the "about-edubuntu-" part will change depending on the doc I'm working on02:16
slangasekFujitsu: feel free to join the Debian QA team to try to identify these and get them cleaned out? :)02:17
LaserJockpersia: ok, right, but can I stick a variable in there for "REMOVE ME" ?02:17
persiaLaserJock: You can, but it sounds like you'd do better in a bash context (see http://www.faqs.org/docs/abs/HTML/string-manipulation.html)02:17
LaserJockslangasek: is anybody free to join Debian QA?02:17
slangasekLaserJock: yes; by "join" I basically mean "do the work to identify packages that should be orphaned or removed, post to debian-qa to get a consensus"02:18
persiae,g, ${$FOO#$BAR (close brace) removes $BAR from $FOO02:18
slangasekand then "if approved by the team, file bug reports"02:18
LaserJockslangasek: does Debian QA have a wiki/web page that describes what tasks they do?02:20
FujitsuLaserJock: qa.debian.org?02:20
LaserJockthose Debian guys think of everything ;-)02:20
persiaLaserJock: It's practice what does it.02:20
LaserJockanybody know if Debian has implemented the new Debian Maintainer thing?02:21
FujitsuLaserJock: Not yet.02:21
slangasekit's not fully implemented yet, no02:21
FujitsuAlthough I am a bit behind on debian-devel.02:21
LaserJockhmm, I'd like to sign up for that when it's working I think02:22
slangasekthere's some prototype code02:22
=== LaserJock shamefully admits he just this last week installed Debian at home for the first time
LaserJockI was quite surprised how well it worked and looked ;-)02:23
=== Fujitsu should probably find the time to finish T&S.
Joe_CoTOk, let's try this again :) I fixed #149050, I've got the patch, and I'm not really sure how to proceed. It's correct, tested, and I have a package for it. Anyone want to look at the patch and put it in? Anyone want to sponsor mine? Not sure how to proceed.02:24
persiabug 14905002:24
ubotuLaunchpad bug 149050 in deluge-torrent "Deluge torrent client: Cannot set file priority, as it continually claims that Full Allocation is not set" [Undecided,In progress]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/14905002:24
Fujitsubug #14905002:24
persiaJoe_CoT: The next step is to wrap the patch (along with any other fixes from https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/deluge-torrent/ with easy fixes) in a candidate revision patch, and subscribe ubuntu-universe-sponsors.02:25
persiaJoe_CoT: Note that there may be a conflict with bug 139518.  You'll want to review to see which is better for a final solution (at this point, I think targeted patches are preferred).02:27
ubotuLaunchpad bug 139518 in deluge-torrent "UVF Exception: latest stable version 0.5.5" [Wishlist,Confirmed]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/13951802:27
Joe_CoTwell, i went and worked with the devs to get the patch, since we're in feature freeze. Updating to 0.5.5 fixes the issue, but I didn't think that was happening at this point02:28
minghuaJoe_CoT: Can you provide a full debdiff as well?02:28
minghuaJoe_CoT: i.e., with debian/patches/00list and debian/changelog changes.02:29
persiaJoe_CoT: I also don't think it will be happening, as we've just entered the ReleaseCandidateFreeze, so the next step is to prepare a new candidate revision.  There's some instruction available from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Contributing, although it may be slightly out of date.02:29
Joe_CoTminghua: I can, but I'm not sure how to do so. if you give me a hint I'll get on it and attach it02:30
Joe_CoTpersia: yeah, i figured, and that's why I wanted to just patch the bug02:30
persiaJoe_CoT: one-bug revisions are good.  Just ask here if you have any trouble with the instructions.02:31
minghuaJoe_CoT: The link given by persia has instructions about using debdiff.02:32
minghuaAlthough to be honest, that patch confuses me quite a bit.02:32
=== osmosis [n=steven@cpe-76-90-81-133.socal.res.rr.com] has joined #ubuntu-motu
persiaLooks to me like a change to the preferences model: combining two mutually opposed booleans into a single entry.  Am I missing something?02:34
Joe_CoTpersia: yes, that's it. The problem is that, in the current version, preferences sets both use_full and use_compact to 1, so compact is always used. In 5.4.1, only use_compact is actually used.02:35
minghuapersia: Why is the first hunk necessary?02:35
Joe_CoTso, setting compact sets use_compact =1, setting full sets use_compact=002:36
persiaminghua: The first hunk removes the logic to auto-set the alternate boolean when one is set, and replaces it with a radio control.  The second uses the radio control instead of the boolean to set a value.02:36
Joe_CoTminghua: added the debdiff02:38
fedefede0101hi guys, just a question.....build-stamp and config-stamp are lock files right?? so, they're supposed to be empty at the end of the building process...02:39
fedefede0101am I right??02:39
fedefede0101sorry, I'm preety new with packaging....02:39
minghuaHmm.  Let me download the deluge-torrent package.02:39
TheMusofedefede0101: THey are used to indicate that that part of the package build has completed successfully.02:39
persiaJoe_CoT: A few notes:  1) In the changelog, describe the issue resolved so that admins don't need to check lauchpad.  2)  The syntax (LP: #nnnnn) in the changelog will automatically close the bug for you.02:40
minghuapersia: BTW I am still not convinced, I don't see anything removed in the first hunk.  I see it as a functional-equivalent change.02:40
Joe_CoTpersia: ok, I'll make that change02:40
persiaminghua: I'll defer to you: my python-fu is really more python-bu02:40
fedefede0101ok, thanks TheMuso :) so, I was right...02:40
fedefede0101I'm trying to learn as much as I can...02:41
minghuapersia: Nah, I am a green newbie on python, too.02:41
Joe_CoTminghua: the change is that now, instead of the full radio being set to use_full, and the compact radio set to use_compact, the compact radio is set to use_compact, and the full radio is set to !use_compact. use_compact is the only one actually used, and that was the problem02:42
fedefede0101good night...and thanks again!! :)02:42
persiaGrrr...  www.jp.debian.org isn't mirroring...02:42
=== Amaranth [n=travis@ubuntu/member/Amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== fedefede0101 [n=Fede@unaffiliated/fedefede0101] has left #ubuntu-motu ["ciaociao..."]
persiaI get it: so an alternate solution would be to add another if clause checking the state of radio_full_allocation (although this is nicer).02:43
minghuaJoe_CoT: Yes, I understand the logic.  But I don't see anything involved with "use_full_storage" in the first hunk.02:43
Joe_CoTminghua: exactly. the tag is now gone02:43
minghuaJoe_CoT: Then why change the first hunk?02:44
minghua...If it has nothing to do with the removed tag.02:44
=== CarlF1 [n=carl@c-71-194-211-5.hsd1.il.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
Joe_CoTminghua, the first chunk is probably unnecessary, correct. It looks like it's just a more streamlined version. If you'd like, I can try without the top chunk and see if it works correctly.02:46
minghuaJoe_CoT: No need.  If the patch comes from upstream, keep it as is.02:46
minghuaJoe_CoT: I'm just making sure I'm understanding the patch correctly.02:47
persia(Just be prepared to defend it :))02:47
Joe_CoTok. yeah, the only change is i changed it from patch to dpatch02:47
minghuaJoe_CoT: Also, please mention that the patch comes from upstream in debian/changelog.02:50
minghuaActually, I think I see the point of the first hunk now.02:51
minghuapersia: Are you familiar with the freeze exception process?02:53
=== minghua is not sure if he is going to do his first sponsor upload for gutsy in the release freeze week...
=== osmosis [n=steven@cpe-76-90-81-133.socal.res.rr.com] has left #ubuntu-motu ["Ex-Chat"]
persiaminghua: This freeze is new for me, and I've been away for a while.  From what I understand from this morning's MOTU meeting, there are a number of active sponsors who could provide review (if the bug is subscribed to the team).02:55
crimsunstill the same process as before.  File bug against source package, attach debdiff, sub motu-uvf, yadda.02:56
=== TheMuso knew someone would do that.
minghuapersia: I have done the review.  I think the patch is good.  I just don't know the procedure (how many acks?  can I just upload?  should I ping release managers after upload?)02:56
minghuaHi crimsun.02:56
Joe_CoTpersia: Added more to changelog and patch, changed to use (LP: #xxxxx) syntax. http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/39724/02:57
Joe_CoTis that better than the other debdiff?02:57
Joe_CoTminghua ^ as well02:58
persiaJoe_CoT: That's a much better changelog, although if you could keep the line length to < 80, it would be even better :)02:58
Joe_CoTok, 1 sec. Same with the patch description, or is that ok?02:58
Joe_CoThow do I spit it. another "-" line?02:58
minghuaJoe_CoT: Also, I'm not sure mentioning a dpaste.com url in changelog is exactly a good idea...02:58
persiaThe patch description is seen by fewer people, so it's more OK, but if you don't mind...02:58
Joe_CoTminghua: i have no other method of showing it. that's what the dev gave me on irc. i could just not include it02:59
crimsunminghua: upload is blocked on one approval from an ~motu-uvf member; the approval can be via any medium (SMS, IRC, e-mail, yadda)02:59
persiaJoe_CoT: You don't need a new "-".  Just wrap it, and indent inside the previous "-".02:59
minghuaJoe_CoT: Just say it's from upstream would be good enough.  This is not a court. :-)02:59
Joe_CoTok. give me just a se02:59
minghuacrimsun: Thanks.03:00
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
minghuaJoe_CoT: yeah, remove the leading "-", and just put (LP: #nnnnn) at the end.03:00
Joe_CoTminghua: ? sorta confused what you mean03:01
=== DarkMageZ [n=richard@ppp121-44-75-228.lns10.syd6.internode.on.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
Joe_CoTi also gotta go really soon, so if you explain, i'll upload the diff and be walking out the door :)03:02
minghuaJoe_CoT: http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/39725/03:05
minghuaJoe_CoT: That's how I would write it.03:05
Joe_CoTok, well i gotta go. I'll look later. bye!03:05
=== apachelogger_ [n=me@N784P015.adsl.highway.telekom.at] has joined #ubuntu-motu
minghuaHmm.  Joey Hess wrote a patch to make dpkg understand git.03:12
=== mruiz [n=mruiz@ubuntu/member/mruiz] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Paddy_EIRE [n=patrick@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== thekorn [n=markus@a89-182-31-227.net-htp.de] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== zakame [i=zakame@ubuntu/member/zakame] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== pkern [n=pkern@durotan.0x539.de] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== bddebian [n=bdefrees@c-71-224-175-179.hsd1.pa.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== jsgotangco [n=JSG@ubuntu/member/jsgotangco] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== persia [n=persia@ubuntu/member/persia] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== thekorn_ [n=markus@a89-182-8-24.net-htp.de] has joined #ubuntu-motu
bluefoxicyI don't believe I like the virtualbox OSE package.04:32
bluefoxicyit rolls in an SDK (i.e. a -dev package)04:32
=== Whoopie_ [n=Whoopie@unaffiliated/whoopie] has joined #ubuntu-motu
bluefoxicythe lack of a proper kernel module package (only source) also is irksome but.04:33
=== minghua [n=minghua@ubuntu/member/minghua] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== persia [n=persia@ubuntu/member/persia] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Knightlust [n=dax@ubuntu/member/knightlust] has joined #ubuntu-motu
TheMusoYouch. The ATI driver upload FTBFS.04:53
StevenKYay. Let's beat up Bryce.04:54
TheMusoActually it was tepsipakki who uploaded it. :)04:55
StevenKLet's beat up Bryce anyway04:57
=== beuno [n=beuno@44-111-231-201.fibertel.com.ar] has joined #ubuntu-motu
bddebianWow, tough crowd :-)04:58
=== beuno [n=beuno@44-111-231-201.fibertel.com.ar] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== beuno_ [n=beuno@44-111-231-201.fibertel.com.ar] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== tuxmaniac [n=aanjhan@unaffiliated/tuxmaniac] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== beuno [n=beuno@44-111-231-201.fibertel.com.ar] has joined #ubuntu-motu
ScottKWell I guess I should have read the scrollback before I posted to ubuntu-devel....05:24
minghuaScottK: It's okay.  Since the idea is people would ask the motu-uvf team before uploading anyway, and you are likely the only one who still don't know the exact freeze rules, I'd say all is good. :-)05:30
ScottKThis is still different than I remember Feisty being, but I was still pretty new then.05:31
=== thoreauputic [i=peter@ubuntu/member/thoreauputic] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== RAOF [n=chris@123-243-65-41.tpgi.com.au] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Hobbsee [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-motu
ScottKminghua: Well I used the wrong e-mail address to post it and so it got moderated and I could kill it.05:39
HobbseeScottK: to where?05:40
ScottKHobbsee: I responded to the freeze anounement message on ubuntu-devel before I read the scrollback here.05:41
ScottKUniverse is still slushy, not entirely frozen.05:41
HobbseeScottK: did you kill it?05:41
Hobbseeor is it still there?05:41
minghuaAha.  So I guessed what ScottK's mail is about without seeing it. :-)05:41
ScottKI did (kill my mesage.)05:41
Hobbseeoh right05:41
HobbseeScottK: i have mod powers for that list, btw05:41
FujitsuWe're fairly slushy until "<release> is so frozen you wouldn't believe" freeze.05:42
ScottKNormally when I screw up and send with the wrong address, I just kill it and resend.05:42
Hobbseeyeah, same here05:42
ScottKFujitsu: Yes, which isn't what the RM mailing said.05:42
Hobbseeyeah, but whether steve thinks of universe is an interesting questoin05:42
=== Hobbsee goes thru the moderation queues
=== altf2o [n=altf2o@168-103-231-78.ptld.qwest.net] has joined #Ubuntu-MOTU
bddebianAnyone know what "!C menu-2" in a menu file means?05:45
=== ScottK is good and does not respond again on the LP bug status thread ...
bddebianScottK: I've really avoided that whole thread.. :-)05:51
ScottKbddebian: Don't worry.  The LP devs appear to understand how we do stuff better than we do and will make LP wonderful for us.05:52
=== bddebian refuses to comment on the grounds that he may incriminate himself
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== persia belatedly responds to a menu question: Menu File Format 2 (introduced 8 years ago, but not yet completely adopted)
bddebianAh, thx persia06:01
=== d33p__ [n=d33p@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== XSource [n=XSource@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== MatthewV [n=MatthewV@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== YokoZar1 [n=scott@c-67-166-147-83.hsd1.ca.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
YokoZar1Akk, does the archive freeze mean I can't upload my new Wine package?06:15
YokoZar1Or is that just for non universe?06:15
persiaYokoZar1: It means that any upload should have a good reason, and will require manual approval from the release administrators.  You'll want to get approval from someone in motu-uvf before uploading (I think).06:17
YokoZar1Already have it :)06:17
ScottKYokoZar1: I'd say lets give it a shot.06:21
YokoZar1ScottK: Thanks.  This week has been really busy.  Also it took me literally all day to fetch/rebuild the ia32-libs package now (which I'm about to upload to REVU)06:22
slangasekScottK: right, the mailing didn't mention universe explicitly at all, because the notes I was working from didn't either; I don't have a problem with anything that the MOTU think is best for handling universe at this stage06:22
slangasekso feel free to take my comments as only applying to main06:22
YokoZar1ty slangasek06:22
=== thoreauputic [i=peter@ubuntu/member/thoreauputic] has left #ubuntu-motu []
=== Amaranth [n=travis@ubuntu/member/Amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== predius [n=predius@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Knightlust [n=dax@ubuntu/member/knightlust] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Paddy_EIRE [n=patrick@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
bryceScottK: doh!07:07
bryceScottK: well of course we see 15 min after tepsipakki's upload, upstream released a new -ati :-P07:07
StevenKbryce: "Correct bozo idiot error" ? :-)07:08
brycea CBIE, yes07:09
bryceactually we knew alex would be doing a new -ati release "some time this weekend", we just didn't know it'd be Friday afternoon ;-)07:09
StevenKI can't expand out CBIE. Can't Believe I <something>, right?07:10
brycewhy, "Correct Bozo Idiot Error" of course07:10
=== Fujitsu [n=fujitsu@ubuntu/member/fujitsu] has joined #ubuntu-motu
Hobbseehiya bryce07:22
=== Zic [n=Zic@ubuntu/member/zic] has joined #ubuntu-motu
ScottKslangasek: Thanks.07:29
ScottKbryce: ScottK/StevenK07:29
bryceScottK: whoops.  I guess you SmumbleK's look much the same ;-)07:37
ScottKbryce: No trouble.  Happens all the time.07:37
ScottKIn real life when someone gets my name wrong it's almost always Steve for some reason I don't understand, so it's not just tab completion.07:38
=== beuno [n=beuno@44-111-231-201.fibertel.com.ar] has joined #ubuntu-motu
StevenKAnd people usually hear my name as 'Dave' on the phone. It's odd.07:40
tonyyarussoPeople think I'm my mom on the phone07:40
=== StevenK bits back a quip
StevenKEr, bites07:41
=== ScottK types and then thinks better and hits backspace.
superm1bryce, you still here?07:41
StevenKScottK: ^U is your friend07:42
persiaHmmm..  sbuild 0.56 is still broken for me.  Does it work for anyone else?07:42
superm1bryce, can you comment to how recent of a i810 driver we have: whether this patch discussed here will be necessary http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_on_an_Intel_Mac_Mini_using_Ubuntu#Viewing_HD_Material07:42
ScottKStevenK: Sure, but I actually thought better instead of just pretending to this time.07:42
ScottKtonyyarusso: Did we backport Kompozer to Feisty yet?07:43
tonyyarussoScottK: No, I've been distracted.07:43
ScottKIt's probably a good time for it...07:43
tonyyarussoremind me of the process?07:43
ScottK!backports | tonyyarusso07:44
ubotutonyyarusso: If new updated Ubuntu packages are built for an application, then they go into Ubuntu Backports. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports - See also !packaging07:44
brycesuperm1: yeah lemme look07:44
ScottKNixternal's an hour west of me and he just said he was going to bed (on #kubuntu-devel).  I guess I better too.07:45
ScottKGood night all.07:45
slangasekpff, sleep07:45
brycenight St...ScottK07:45
slangaseknight, ScottK07:45
brycesuperm1: ok here's the skinny07:45
brycesuperm1: i810 is deprecated.  Upstream in xorg they alias i810 to "intel" starting with version 2.007:46
tonyyarussoScottK: Should I file one bug affecting feisty, edgy, dapper, or separate ones for all, or just bother with feisty since the others have nvu?07:46
brycefor Ubuntu, rather than use the alias, we held back i810 to version 1.7.407:46
bryceas far as I know, there is no "newer" version than that, as development on that driver ceased when intel took over07:46
brycehowever because the driver is aliased on some platforms, there is a risk that when people say "new i810" they could mean "intel"07:47
superm1bryce, oh interesting.07:47
brycethe linked-to instructions however do seem appropriate to our i810 (references to 915resolution, date on posts, et al)07:48
bryceas a general rule though, starting with Gutsy you should not need to worry about the i810 driver... encourage users of it to switch to intel07:48
brycehrm, now why is it that when I specify "iface eth1 inet static" and give it a static address it keeps coming up with a dhcp-provided one... hrm07:50
bryceironically, this is my mythtv box doing it.  ;-)07:50
superm1bryce, well the thing that sparked this was that a user had to switch to i810 on a mac mini07:51
superm1using gutsy07:51
superm1and pointed me at that, so i was a bit confused with regard to taht07:52
superm1they had said they couldn't get higher resolution otherwise07:52
brycethat sounds wonky07:52
superm1yeah that's what i thought.07:53
brycewell, as long as they know that i810 is not going to be supported and that they're more or less on their own with it...07:53
brycewhile the intel driver does have its bugs, at least people will be working on it07:53
superm1the guy posted this in our thread for showing what hardware works and doesnt on mythbuntu.  i'll have him form a more complete thread and bring this discussion to him.07:54
superm1thanks bryce :)07:54
brycesounds good, sure07:55
superm1bryce, oh and about openchrome.  i forgot to tell you before why i never filed the MIR.07:55
superm1there was finally a real release of it07:55
superm1and it uses a full out different driver name and all07:55
superm1i considered doing the whole UVFe thing for it, but this late into the cycle i know its going to break some of the ubiquity stuff we have coded for mythbuntu07:55
superm1so i don't want to bother at this point07:56
tonyyarussoScottK: Bug #149715 filed.07:56
ubotuLaunchpad bug 149715 in feisty-backports "Please backport KompoZer 0.7.10" [Undecided,New]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/14971507:56
superm1bryce, here was the announce that i saw: http://mythtvnews.com/2007/09/20/first-openchrome-official-release-030/07:57
=== bryce nods
superm1so for hardy i'll package that up07:57
superm1and then get the mir made for it07:57
brycesuperm1: put it on your todo list to remind me once hardy starts, and we'll get it in, and make the decision about making it the default for the appropriate hardware07:57
superm1bryce, do you want to discuss it at uds perhaps?07:58
superm1or not worthy of a sprint really?07:58
bryceprobably not worthy of having a session, but maybe we can just chat about it over a beer or something07:58
superm1okay sounds good08:00
=== khermans__ [i=khermans@nat/cisco/x-c2a8e62c4d1d81bb] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== bryce [n=bryce@c-67-169-207-142.hsd1.or.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== rob [i=rob@freenode/staff/rob] has joined #ubuntu-motu
brycesuperm1: hey I have a question for you08:05
brycesuperm1: on my mythtv box, navigation in the menus is quite slow08:05
brycethis is a pretty powerful amd box with tons of memory and such, so its a bit weird08:05
bryceit plays video fine, and outside mythtv its quite speedy and snappy08:06
bryceI have a new but pretty cheap video card (nvidia G72 geforce 7300 LE), which I'm suspicious of, and I'm wondering if swapping that out with a different card might matter, or if this is something you already are aware of?08:08
superm1bryce, what card do you have in there right now?08:09
superm1its the nvidia?08:09
superm1you have the proprietary driver activated?08:10
brycenope, running -nv08:10
superm1if you can install the proprietary driver, it improves performance immensely08:10
bryceok cool08:10
superm1and lets you turn on the opengl accelerated menu system08:10
superm1Settings->Appearance->Theme Painter after you install things.08:11
pwnguinjust what is it doing that openGL fixes?08:16
pkernSo this means that universe is frozen too?08:22
=== ..[topic/#ubuntu-motu:Hobbsee] : Ubuntu Masters of the Universe: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU | Want to get involved with the MOTUs? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Contributing | http://ubuntu.joejaxx.org/ - TOP 10 Uploaders/Packages | New Packages Freeze in effect | The rest of universe is not frozen. Main is.
persiapkern: Essentially, although the threshold is smaller.08:24
persiaHobbsee: I thought we were looking for motu-uvf nods before uploading.08:24
Fujitsupersia: Not until the last week, IIRC.08:25
TheMusoHobbsee: The rest of universe?08:25
Hobbseepersia: for new package exceptions, uvfe's.08:25
FujitsuTheMuso: That's what I thought...08:25
persiaFujitsu: Ah.  My misunderstanding then.  I thought we were pushing it a week earlier this time.08:25
StevenKNot until hard freeze.08:25
StevenKWhich will be after RC08:25
HobbseeTheMuso: the rules havent changed since last release.08:25
persiaAlso, uploads to get manually approved, so it's at least slushy, if not frozen.08:26
TheMusoHobbsee: But you said the resto of universe in the topic.08:26
slangasekTheMuso: the universe is all that is or ever was or ever will be08:26
=== ..[topic/#ubuntu-motu:Hobbsee] : Ubuntu Masters of the Universe: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU | Want to get involved with the MOTUs? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Contributing | http://ubuntu.joejaxx.org/ - TOP 10 Uploaders/Packages | New Packages Freeze / Upstream Version Freeze in effect | The rest of universe is NOT frozen
HobbseeTheMuso: there you go08:26
slangasektherefore, main is also part of the universe08:26
FujitsuWhat part of universe is frozen, Hobbsee?08:26
Hobbseeslangasek: not for upload rights.08:26
=== persia agrees with slangasek: Main is a small subset of universe.
slangasekinsignificant details on a cosmological scale08:26
HobbseeFujitsu: nothing has changed since last week.08:27
=== TheMuso leaves be. :)
FujitsuHobbsee: What? I am confused. Is there a part of universe that *is* frozen?08:27
HobbseeFujitsu: therefore if you want a feature freeze exception, uvf exception, etc, you can still get them, but bugfix releases are fine, as per the new policy08:27
=== ..[topic/#ubuntu-motu:Hobbsee] : Ubuntu Masters of the Universe: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU | Want to get involved with the MOTUs? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Contributing | http://ubuntu.joejaxx.org/ - TOP 10 Uploaders/Packages | New Packages Freeze / Upstream Version Freeze in effect - The rest of universe is NOT frozen
HobbseeFujitsu: if you upload something with a bunch of new features, without an exception, yes, you'll still get killed.08:28
persiaI don't see the diff in the last change.08:28
FujitsuOh, like that, I see.08:28
Hobbseepersia:  | --> -08:28
HobbseeFujitsu: like i say, same as the last few weeks.08:28
persiaHobbsee: Thanks.08:28
=== zakame [i=zakame@ubuntu/member/zakame] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== RobinD [n=robind@69-30-77-125.dq1sn.easystreet.com] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== effie_jayx [n=valles@ubuntu/member/effie-jayx] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Nightrose [n=lydia@port-87-234-157-150.dynamic.qsc.de] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== BBalde [n=bbalde@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== BBalde [n=bbalde@] has left #ubuntu-motu []
=== jsgotangco [n=JSG@ubuntu/member/jsgotangco] has joined #ubuntu-motu
YokoZar1Are svg or png files better for icons?09:52
=== perher [n=per@c-51f872d5.1316-1-64736c10.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== lamego [n=Future@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
persiaYokoZar1: svg usually looks nicer, but both work.09:56
YokoZar1I have both sent to me, so I guess i'll use the svg09:57
=== jussi01 [n=jussi@dyn3-82-128-184-134.psoas.suomi.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
persiaYokoZar1: If you have both, you may as well install both, and just not pass the extension: that way the environment can select the best.09:57
YokoZar1oh, good point09:57
YokoZar1didn't realize it didn't need an extension09:57
persiaYokoZar1: Depends on the context.  If you're using a library pixbuf loading routine, it should auto-select.  If you're actually loading the file, you need the extension.09:58
YokoZar1persia: these are going into .desktop files09:58
YokoZar1persia: i have wine.png and wine.svg, I'm assuming I can just put Icon=wine into the .desktop file and copy both to /usr/share/pixmaps?09:59
persiaYokoZar1: That's what I thought.  No extension.  No path.  Just drop it somewhere in the iconcache directories (I usually use /usr/share/pixmaps)09:59
YokoZar1 /usr/share/pixmaps is what the freedesktop.org spec calls for09:59
persiaYokoZar1: Exactly.  That's best practice, because then someone could create wine.xpm as part of a theme, and override the default.09:59
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
persiaRegarding the interleave: I thought the spec only indicated that path as preferred, and that menu systems were supposed to also search there, but that implementors could generate the icon cache in any desired manner.10:01
YokoZar1err wrong link10:02
YokoZar1Icons and themes are looked for in a set of directories. By     default, apps should look in $HOME/.icons (for backwards compatibility),     in $XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons and in /usr/share/pixmaps (in that order).     Applications may further add     their own icon directories to this list, and users may extend or     change the list (in application/desktop specific ways)10:02
persiaRight.  /usr/share/pixmaps is required to be one of the source directories when building the icon cache, but there may be others (and are in Ubuntu).10:03
=== pochu [n=emilio@23.Red-83-57-166.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
YokoZar1persia: ahh.  So, another question regarding the menu10:04
YokoZar1Wine adds its own menu entry (Applications->Wine)10:04
persiaYokoZar1: It's my favorite type of question to answer :)10:04
YokoZar1I'd like to put some of the Wine bundled apps (eg notepad) into there10:04
YokoZar1But Wine doesn't generate that submenu until a user runs Wine once10:05
persiaYokoZar1: Is intended as a user menu, or a system-wide menu?10:05
YokoZar1So Wine has your user apps (say, stuff you install into ~/.wine) as a user menu, but I guess I'd like to create a Wine system-wide menu to shove some wine-specific things into (eg, regedit and winecfg)10:06
YokoZar1It's kinda weird having them elsewhere (say, in System->Preferences)10:06
persiaYokoZar1: Hmmm..  I'm not deeply familiar enough to understand how user menus and system menus are merged, but I suspect you'll want to play with installing something to /etx/xdg/menus10:07
YokoZar1Do you know where Wine would copy its user level one so I can use that as a template?10:09
=== amachu [n=amachu@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
YokoZar1ahh, nevermind.  It appears Wine copies stuff into ~/.config/menus/applications-merged10:11
persiaYokoZar1: If it was a pure system menu, I think you'd put an entry in /etc/xdg/desktop-directories/, but for a merged menu, you might need to do something special (check http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-latest.html, and the source for gnome-menus for ideas.10:11
persiaYokoZar1: That's roughly comparable to /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged, but the tricky part is making sure any new local ($HOME) entries show up properly in a system menu (something I've not tested)10:12
=== MagnusR [n=magru@c83-252-222-139.bredband.comhem.se] has joined #ubuntu-motu
YokoZar1so I don't have a /etc/xdg/desktop-directories/ folder10:14
YokoZar1I'm guessing I should tell the package to make a folder /etc/xdg/applications-merged/ and then put a wine.menu there yes?10:15
=== hjmf [n=hjmf@198.Red-81-32-13.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
persiaYokoZar1: I'd probably try using applications-merged first (as that's what the local setting does).  This should reduce the other effort needed to get everything to work.10:17
=== mekius [n=mekius@pool-96-230-17-206.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== pochu [n=emilio@23.Red-83-57-166.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
YokoZar1persia: so it looks like <Directory> entries can refer to nonexistant .directory files10:26
YokoZar1in the case of, say, no localization10:26
persiaYokoZar1: That's my understanding.  I believe that non-existent files are not rendered, but you'll want to check one of the implementations to verify.10:28
YokoZar1persia: so it looks like my best bet is to make a category for Wine10:28
persiaYokoZar1: I don't recommend making such a change for gutsy - it's possibly intrusive UI-wise (and we're in FeatureFreeze and UIFreeze).  More generally, you'll probably want to get in touch with the -desktop team to discuss it: there are a few people with strong opinions about how the menus should be displayed.10:30
YokoZar1The thing is10:30
YokoZar1Wine already displays its own subtree10:30
persiaYokoZar1: Technically speaking, a category is probably the easiest way to make it look nice.10:30
YokoZar1I could just manually refer to each wine.desktop file10:30
persiaYokoZar1: In that case, if you can get something working with /etc/xdg that looks the same, it should be cleaner, overall.10:31
YokoZar1like a wine.menu file to go in /etc/xdg/applications-merged/10:33
persiaYokoZar1: Right.10:33
YokoZar1if I have a higher menu include category wine, and a lower menu include category wine and category accessories, will it put it in both places or just the latter?10:35
persiaYokoZar1: If the menus are hierarchical, I believe just the latter.  If they are parallel branches in the tree, I believe both.10:36
=== Paddy_EIRE [n=patrick@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== pochu [n=emilio@23.Red-83-57-166.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== pgquiles [n=pgquiles@103.Red-88-25-198.staticIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== davromaniak [n=cyril@ubuntu/member/davromaniak] has joined #ubuntu-motu
YokoZar1persia: what if I want to add something to places?10:54
persiaYokoZar1: You're getting more advanced than my knowledge.  I know that two menu categories in parallel trees generates two entries, but I'm not sure about hierarchy.  I suggest trying it and seeing what happens, or looking at the details of the implementation.10:55
YokoZar1persia: I meant a more basic question: how do I add something to places (ie, what category)10:56
persiaYokoZar1: That's controlled by the <Include> directives in the .menu file10:57
YokoZar1I'm looking for the right .menu file though10:57
YokoZar1in /etc/xdg10:57
persiaYokoZar1: ggzcore-bin installs /etc/xdg/menus/applications-megred/ggz.merge.menu, which may be a good example.10:59
YokoZar1thank you, I'll look at that11:00
=== davro-desktop [n=davro@ubuntu/member/davromaniak] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Kmos [n=gothicx@unaffiliated/kmos] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== fraco [n=fraco@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== apachelogger__ [n=me@N784P002.adsl.highway.telekom.at] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== lbm [n=lbm@0x555373ab.adsl.cybercity.dk] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Gasten [n=Gasten@h52n9c1o1095.bredband.skanova.com] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== elkbuntu [n=melissa@ubuntu/member/elkbuntu] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== aplg [n=me@N784P002.adsl.highway.telekom.at] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Paddy_EIRE [n=patrick@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== vi1 [n=vladimir@catv-tisnov-86.selfnet.cz] has joined #ubuntu-motu
pochuStevenK, zul: mind looking at bug 144258? ScottK already ACKed it.11:29
ubotuLaunchpad bug 144258 in scribes "[UVFe]  Please sync scribes (universe) from Debian Unstable (main)" [Medium,New]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/14425811:29
=== pgquiles [n=pgquiles@103.Red-88-25-198.staticIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
pkern The result is a text editor that provides a fluid user experience.11:31
pkern An editor that is easy and fun to use. And an editor that ensures the11:31
pkern safety of your documents at all times.11:31
pkernThat overeggs the pudding (thanks dict.leo.org).11:31
=== Amaranth_ [n=travis@ubuntu/member/Amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== jpatrick [n=patrick@208.Red-88-14-90.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== pochu [n=emilio@23.Red-83-57-166.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
persiaWhen a patch is dropped, recreating a bug, it is better to reopen the original bug, or open a new bug?11:44
sladenpersia: technically probably to re-open;  however realistically, I would re-file, and link to the previous report11:45
sladenpersia: what got dropped?11:45
=== Nicke [n=niclasa@ua-83-227-140-135.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se] has joined #ubuntu-motu
persiasladen: bug #5362.  The argument for reopening is that the same fix works.  The argument for a new bug is that the original reporter might not care.  Perhaps I'll just reference the old bug in the changelog...11:46
ubotuLaunchpad bug 5362 in torcs "Torcs crashed (because it has no sound?)" [Medium,Fix released]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/536211:46
=== IanC26 [n=IanC26@203-214-12-152.dyn.iinet.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== norsetto [n=Cesare@host150-218-dynamic.9-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== jekil [n=alessand@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
whiteif anyone feels like testing a new version for nagios-plugins (I am interested in the check_http plugin), please do so and give some feedback :)12:05
whiteit is mainly important that the check_http plugin still works as before12:05
=== jsgotangco [n=JSG@ubuntu/member/jsgotangco] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== IanC26 [n=IanC26@203-214-12-152.dyn.iinet.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-motu
Fujitsuwhite: What's the change?12:16
whiteFujitsu: mainly a patch for http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2007-519812:20
ubotuBuffer overflow in the redir function in check_http.c in Nagios Plugins before 1.4.10 allows remote web servers to execute arbitrary code via long Location header responses (redirects). (http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2007-5198)12:20
whiteFujitsu: feel encouraged to be my tester :)12:21
=== IanC26_ [n=IanC26@203-214-12-152.dyn.iinet.net.au] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== jsomers [n=jsomers@d51A50113.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== DktrKranz [n=Luca@ubuntu/member/dktrkranz] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== wolfger [n=wolfger@c-68-61-59-149.hsd1.mi.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== asac_ [n=asac@debian/developer/asac] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== freeflying [n=freeflyi@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
pkernScottK: You don't like bzr? ;)01:07
=== jrib [n=jrib@upstream/dev/jrib] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== JanC [n=janc@lugwv/member/JanC] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== persia [n=persia@ubuntu/member/persia] has joined #ubuntu-motu
RAOFI'd like some comments about bug #147587 - on one hand, miro doesn't actually require libxine1-ffmpeg, but most of the default feeds do.01:15
ubotuLaunchpad bug 147587 in ubuntu "grub menu.lst update in gutsy make lvm unbootable" [Undecided,New]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/14758701:15
RAOFbug #14758901:15
ubotuLaunchpad bug 147589 in miro "Miro fails to play films when using default renderer (gstreamer works OK)" [Medium,Incomplete]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/14758901:15
TheMusoEvening folks.01:16
RAOFEvenin' TheMuso!01:16
persiaRAOF: I'd leave it as is: let restricted-formats handle that (which does depend on -ffmpeg)01:17
persiaUmm..  Rather libxine-extracodecs01:18
RAOFpersia: You mean *buntu-restricted-extras?  I don't think that's in ubuntu-r-e (but it is in x- & k-)01:18
persiaRAOF: Right.  In Ubutnu, one must manually install libxine-extracodecs.01:19
RAOFWhich seems to no longer exist, but never mind :)01:20
persiaAh.  It's stuck in a mirror.  Sorry then.  Ignore everything I've said.01:20
RAOFWell, I'm inclined to leave the dependencies as they are.  Miro already Recommends -ffmpeg.  I just want some 2nd opinions.01:21
=== rob [i=rob@freenode/staff/rob] has joined #ubuntu-motu
rexbronpersia: Hello, I packaged genpo (it is in the ubuntu studio PPA). Care to give it a peruse?01:23
RAOFWoah, while I'm at miro - bug #149736.  We can't stop people running probably broken programs while their system is being updated, right?01:23
ubotuBug 149736 on http://launchpad.net/bugs/149736 is private01:23
=== Gasten [n=Gasten@h208n8c1o1095.bredband.skanova.com] has joined #ubuntu-motu
persiarexbron: I took a quick look a couple days ago, and it seemed sane (as opposed to the previous lack of licensing for the organ definitions).  I'll add it to my list, but I won't be sponsoring any new packages for gutsy.01:24
persiaRAOF: That's PEBKAC.01:24
rexbronpersia: I was looking at this package in the hardy time frame from the outset. Personally, I was suprised I finnished it so quickly.01:24
RAOFpersia: Not entirely, but yeah.01:25
persiarexbron: Perfect then :)  If you don't mind the wait, I'll take a closer look once I've cleared up the remaining two or three annoyances I have with gutsy.01:25
rexbronpersia: if you have time, I would apprecate any testing you could throw at it.01:25
rexbronpersia: have fun. :)01:26
persiaRAOF: I guess.  More generally, if it started before the upgrade, it shouldn't be an issue.  Checking for an apt-lock, and checking depdencies for upgrading status when launching a program sounds like a general wrapper :)01:27
persiarexbron: Sure.  I've only two devices, but I'm excited about the idea of getting pedals working.01:27
=== Martinp24 [n=martinp2@wikimedia/Martinp23] has joined #ubuntu-motu
RAOFpersia: So I'll file a wishlist "should provide a wrapper for all programs so they don't get run in an inconsistent state" bug against dpkg :D01:28
=== bigon [n=bigon@ubuntu/member/bigon] has joined #ubuntu-motu
rexbronpersia: Seeing as I lack the appropreate hardware, that would be valuable information. :)01:28
persiaRAOF: :)01:28
=== pkern wants that wrapper for /bin/sh
persiarexbron: vkeybd and qmidicontrol should be able to simulate most of it (although it's hard to do things simultaneously).01:30
=== hagi [n=hagi@adsl-89-217-179-249.adslplus.ch] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== freeflying [n=freeflyi@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
persiaI'm chasing an x86_MMX bug.  OpenAL seems to crash under certain circumstances on AMD64, when linked against the provided i386 MMX arch-specific libraries.  There are some configure checks to make sure only a subset of the i386 MMX libraries are included.  Is this ever safe, or should I be seeking a comparison of the i386 and x86_64 MMX instruction sets?01:35
StevenKpersia: If it's only MMX, and not something like SSE{,2}, both i386 and x86_64 should be able to handle it.01:36
=== RAOF whistles apreciatively at persia's bug.
persiaStevenK: Ah.  I was afraid of that.  I guess I'll have to learn some more rather than just disabling MMX.01:37
RAOFStevenK, persia: Maybe alignment issues?01:37
pkernUnexpectedly non-broken dependency apache2-mpm-itk 2.2.3-04-3build3 -> {apache2.2-common 2.2.4-3}!01:37
pkernYay. /me goes removing apache2...01:37
persiaRAOF: It sounds impressive, but it's really just looking at the beginning of a stack trace, and noticing it's calling something in .../arch/i386/ on a AMD64.01:39
pkernHaha. And removing apache2.2-common suggests me to install mzscheme (after suggesting webfs).01:39
RAOFpersia: Awww. :)01:39
=== hoora80 [i=hoora@gateway/tor/x-620f34af8baf4065] has joined #ubuntu-motu
RAOFHey bigon!  Good timing, I'm just about off to bed :)01:47
LongPointyStickRAOF: bed?  but it's time for dinner!01:48
RAOFLongPointyStick: Not if you wake up at 6am01:48
bigonRAOF: hi :)01:49
RAOFbigon: At some point you'll throw up a bzr branch of libgnome-keyring-cil, I suppose?01:49
LongPointyStickRAOF: ew.01:51
LongPointyStickRAOF: whatever did you do that for?  oh, motu meeting?01:51
RAOFNo.  Because that's when I woke up.  Darn sunlight!01:52
bigonRAOF: done, http://router.bigon.be/bzr/gnome-keyring-sharp01:52
bigonRAOF: mmm wait,  http://router.bigon.be/~bigon/bzr/gnome-keyring-sharp/01:53
RAOFNot on LP?01:53
=== amachu [n=amachu@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
bigonRAOF: I will upload it there, but now I'm going to eat01:55
persiaFound it.  Adding 4 to a pointer is bad :)01:55
RAOFbigon: And I'm off to sleep :)01:55
RAOFpersia: Of course!01:56
pochuLongPointyStick: mind looking at bug 144258?01:56
ubotuLaunchpad bug 144258 in scribes "[UVFe]  Please sync scribes (universe) from Debian Unstable (main)" [Medium,New]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/14425801:56
=== Hobbsee [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
rexbronpersia: so you found one of the bugs?02:01
=== Amaranth [n=travis@ubuntu/member/Amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-motu
persiarexbron: I found a bug in torcs which was a bug in openal, if that's what you mean.02:02
=== fraco [n=fraco@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
rexbronpersia: patching time?02:02
persiarexbron: Eventually.  I still need to learn MMX, and tune the assembly...02:03
=== fredix [n=fredix@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
rexbronpersia: thats hardcore02:03
=== sahin_h [n=ezaz@dsl5402AB3E.pool.t-online.hu] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Hobbsee [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-motu
bigonRAOF: uploaded to the LP02:17
=== fraco [n=fraco@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== fraco [n=fraco@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== ant30_ [n=ant30@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== jpatrick [n=patrick@208.Red-88-14-90.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== DarkSun88 [n=Ma@ubuntu/member/darksun88] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== DarkSun88 [n=Ma@ubuntu/member/darksun88] has left #ubuntu-motu ["Sto]
=== amachu [n=amachu@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== cassidy [n=cassidy@pool-71-126-236-225.bstnma.east.verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== bigon [n=bigon@ubuntu/member/bigon] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== minghua [n=minghua@ubuntu/member/minghua] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== allee [n=ach@dialin-145-254-253-209.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== pochu [n=emilio@23.Red-83-57-166.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== bddebian [n=bdefrees@c-71-224-175-179.hsd1.pa.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
bddebianHeya gang02:46
=== RobinD [n=robind@69-30-77-125.dq1sn.easystreet.com] has joined #ubuntu-motu
norsettoheya bddebian02:54
bddebianHi norsetto02:56
=== lbm [n=lbm@0x555373ab.adsl.cybercity.dk] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== persia [n=persia@ubuntu/member/persia] has left #ubuntu-motu []
=== jsgotangco [n=JSG@ubuntu/member/jsgotangco] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Skiessi [n=qwe@dsl-roibrasgw1-ff90c100-219.dhcp.inet.fi] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Knightlust [n=dax@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== cbx33 [n=pete@ubuntu/member/cbx33] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== mumbly_ [n=mumbly@s2ii.homeunix.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== mumbly [n=mumbly@s2ii.homeunix.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== _polto_ [n=polto@4-253.1-85.cust.bluewin.ch] has joined #ubuntu-motu
jsomersthe package visudo has a manpage bug, open since april and fixed upstream in april, how come it has not been fixed in gutsy?03:35
jsomersI can't image that the package source has not been fetched from the upstream cvs since03:35
_polto_Fujitsu, sorry but did you had some time to investigate and why not apply our patch for mplayer ?03:35
=== XSource [n=XSource@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
minghuajsomers: What is the bug number?03:46
joejaxxHello Everyone :)03:48
bddebianHeya joejaxx03:48
=== jpon [n=jpon@neu67-3-82-239-80-181.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
minghuajsomers: If you are talking about bug #105877, it was only fixed in Debian on Sept. 5th.03:49
ubotuLaunchpad bug 105877 in sudo "visudo manpage typo" [Undecided,Confirmed]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/10587703:49
jsomersah, yes03:49
minghuajsomers: And nobody came and ask us to get this fix from Debian, so basically nobody was aware of the fix.03:50
jsomersah, so packages are always coming from debian?03:50
minghuajsomers: Yes, most came from Debian originally.  We do some changes ourselves, but we constantly sync new versions and bug fixes from Debian as well.03:51
minghuajsomers: In this case, if will certainly be fixed in the next cycle (hardy, 8.04), because we'll sync from Debian again.03:52
jsomersok then03:52
jsomersI was just wondering, since it has been a while03:52
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== phanatic [n=phanatic@3e70d9be.adsl.enternet.hu] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== jdong [n=dizzle@ubuntu/member/jdong] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== zachy [i=zakame@ubuntu/member/zakame] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== cassidy [n=cassidy@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== _czessi [n=Czessi@dslb-088-073-156-191.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Hobbsee [n=Hobbsee@ubuntu/member/hobbsee] has joined #ubuntu-motu
pochuwow, this Virtual Box really looks great! But what a pity it isn't GTK...04:24
=== jekil [n=alessand@host125-12-dynamic.5-87-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== stgraber [n=stgraber@dakara.stgraber.org] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== phanatic [n=phanatic@3e70d9be.adsl.enternet.hu] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== jekil [n=alessand@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
ScottKpkern: bzr is neither good nor bad IMO.  It's just that it's one more VCS on top of CVS, SVN, and Git that I already have to deal with.05:00
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
ScottKFrom my perspective it's and Ubuntu specific tool with a non-trivial learning curve that I don't have time for.  I know others use it, but Ubuntu is the only place I've run into it.05:01
broonieTo be fair, one of the reasons I bother with bzr at all is that the learning curve for basic usage is pretty trivial.05:04
broonieI got a comment at a job interview recently along the lines of "wow, you're the first person I've met who's actually used bzr"05:05
ScottKbroonie: True.  And I have used it a bit for some Kubuntu stuff.05:05
ScottKI object to it as part of MOTU new package review processes because it's more complexity for me as a reviewer.05:06
ScottKDput the package to REVU, I dget the package, and then give comments is simple and works well.05:06
minghuaI think i like bzr better than git.  At least I can "bzr checkout" and "bzr update" if I only want to peek into the repository.05:10
=== DktrKranz [n=Luca@ubuntu/member/dktrkranz] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== norsetto [n=norsetto@host150-218-dynamic.9-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-motu
broonieminghua: That works just as well with git IME?05:11
minghuaIt's true not many people outside of Ubuntu uses bzr though.05:12
minghuabroonie: Really?  Then why can't I find a new user guide saying so...05:12
minghuaIt almost always start with "git clone".05:12
=== RobinD [n=robind@69-30-77-125.dq1sn.easystreet.com] has joined #ubuntu-motu
broonieOh, you're very bandwidth constrained?05:13
minghuaNo I am not.  It's just that I never see a tutorial mentioning that simple "git checkout" and "git update" would work.05:14
minghuaIt's always clone, pull, commit and stuff.05:15
minghuaMy situation is pretty special because I deal with these repos mostly for translation work.05:15
ScottKminghua: The point from my perspective is that I never get to pick the tool.  The project I work on that uses Git, I didn't pick it.  I've only got room for some many VCS in my head (the limit seems to be slightly less than one in my case so it's a real PITA).05:15
broonieThe equivalent of a checkout, update workflow is clone, pull.05:16
minghuaAnd I don't really care about distributed VCS or creating my own branch, I just want to checkout the HEAD and then send a patch.05:16
=== XSource [n=XSource@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
minghuaScottK: I completely agree, I'm in a similar situation.05:17
minghuaActually I ran into a mercurial repo a few days ago as well, and decided not to bother.05:18
=== leonel [n=leonel@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== cprov [n=cprov@canonical/launchpad/cprov] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== minghua [n=minghua@ubuntu/member/minghua] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== altf2o [n=altf2o@168-103-231-78.ptld.qwest.net] has joined #Ubuntu-MOTU
=== AstralJava [n=jaska@e82-103-217-184.elisa-laajakaista.fi] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== amachu [n=amachu@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== altf2o [n=altf2o@168-103-231-78.ptld.qwest.net] has joined #Ubuntu-MOTU
=== Kmos [n=gothicx@unaffiliated/kmos] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Kmos [n=gothicx@unaffiliated/kmos] has left #ubuntu-motu []
=== Kmos [n=gothicx@unaffiliated/kmos] has joined #ubuntu-motu
AstralJavaSorry to bug you guys, but could anyone from motu-uvf take a look at bug #149606, it's a FreezeException bug for python-gammu, a dependency of wammu, the phone sync app. Would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. :)05:58
ubotuLaunchpad bug 149606 in python-gammu "FreezeException for python-gammu 0.22-2" [Undecided,Invalid]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/14960605:58
=== DktrKranz [n=Luca@ubuntu/member/dktrkranz] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== DktrKranz [n=Luca@ubuntu/member/dktrkranz] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== ivoks [n=ivoks@34-177.dsl.iskon.hr] has joined #ubuntu-motu
pkernScottK: Actually bzr hasn't got in my way yet, in conjunction with bzr-builddeb. I knew darcs and getting used to bzr *with LP* was easy. I disagree on the learning curve, especially as I found git just weird (but that's probably related to the fact that I tried git-core in Debian etch).06:04
=== rexbron [n=rexbron@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
pkernasac: I thought I already saw granparadiso in Gutsy, but looking at LP it only built yesterday and is in NEW?06:05
ScottKpkern: My thing about new package reviews and bzr is that we already have a nicely functioning process without it.  I tend to be against changing stuff to make it harder even if it's only a little bit.  Totally agree on Git being weird.06:08
=== altf2o [n=altf2o@168-103-231-78.ptld.qwest.net] has joined #Ubuntu-MOTU
pkernScottK: Did you read of Joey Hess's efforts on having git source packages? ;)06:09
pkern[asterix]  ~ > firefox-3.006:10
pkern[: 32: /home/pkern/.mozilla/firefox: unexpected operator06:10
pkernA pleasant experience. :D06:10
pkernasac: line 32 in /usr/bin/firefox-3.0 in 3.0~alpha8-0ubuntu1~mt has a weird character.06:11
ScottKpkern: No.  I know lamont is doing with Postfix, but haven't looked at it in detail.  Is there a pointer you can give me towards something to read?06:11
pkernScottK: Yep, hold on.06:11
pkernScottK: http://wiki.debian.org/GitSrc06:11
pkernScottK: That's *very* new and nothing has been decided upon. (I guess the wiki entry was created today or yesterday.)06:12
pkernasac: And a missing dup on xulrunner-3.006:13
pkernasac: s/3.0/1.9/06:13
ScottKpkern: Thanks.  Interesting.  I see some parallels there with my kvetching about bzr and LP.06:17
pkernScottK: Especially the "git.d.o build queue" thing.06:18
lamontScottK: git is love. do not deny the git. :-)06:19
lamontScottK: all my packages are in git now06:20
lamontutil-linux included06:21
lamontI don't see any reason to have the git repo in the tar.gz, given that I can use debian-control to point any dpkg-source -x users at the git repo on the net06:21
ScottKPersonally, I see the advantages of a VCS, but I'm concerned that it dilutes the notion that the actual repository is the canonical (pun intended) source for the distro.06:21
ScottKFor Debian pakcages with one/few maintainers or a team that's agreed to use a VCS, it's fine.  I just don't think it scales to Ubuntu with team maintenance of literally thousands of packages.06:22
bddebianAmen brother :)06:22
lamontgenerally speaking, source is kept in a VCS somewhere, and the developer takes code from there and ships it.  So there is a canonical repository for the packager, which then becomes a collection of sources which form the canonical origin of a distro06:23
minghuaScottK: Joey's argument is that learning multiple VCS systems is not that different from learning multiple patch systems.06:23
lamontutil I moved my packages to git, the VCS was local to my machine and not visible on the net.  -> suckage for others06:24
lamontminghua: and joeyh is right06:24
ScottKI agree and that's a PITA too.06:24
minghualamont: Yes, I think that's valid argument.06:25
lamontI will admit that when I'm on a NMU-athon, that dbs packages tend to get pushed to the bottom of the queue unless the bug really, uh, bugs me.06:25
ScottKI still have to study man dpatch pretty hard every time I add dpatch to a package.06:25
lamontdpatch I've pretty well internalized.06:25
lamontI even used it in several of my packages, until I switched everything to git and killed dpatch as painful and no longer worth it, given a real VCS.06:26
lamontwith cvs, dpatch is a savior.06:26
ScottKlamont: I've been doing Debian packaging less than a year now, so all this stuff is only shallowly etched in my brain so far.06:26
lamontthen again, with cvs, a gun to the head is pretty close to salvation as well. :-)06:26
pkernI got so many comments about `why did you switch this particular package to quilt'. Heh.06:26
lamont"creating a new patch?  dpatch-edit-patch name $name-of-last-patch"06:27
lamont"editing an existing patch?  dpatch-edit-patch $name-of-patch"06:27
ScottKlamont: Which is a lifesaver.  I'd be doomed otherwise.06:27
lamontand then just dink around with 00list as needed06:27
lamontquilt?  yeah I hear that's "better" than dpatch.  I interpret it as "more complicated"06:27
ScottKIt's the adding dpatch to debian/rules for the first time that get's me confused.06:28
bddebianThe games team seem to be moving everything to quilt :-(06:28
=== _czessi [n=Czessi@dslb-088-073-156-191.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
lamontScottK: that's where I'd commit to git (or bzr), and do the patch inline.06:28
lamontbddebian: quilt is better.06:28
pkernYou need a bloody bit of setup (i.e. setting an environment variable to point it to a Debian'ish location for the patches), but wandering through the patch stack is beautiful.06:28
lamontOTOH, dpatch, quilt, and the rest are just attempting to preserve the branch so that it can be rebased to a new upstream... that's what git or bzr are _FOR_06:29
lamontpkern: so is "gitk --all"06:30
ScottKAlso though, with patches I can see what Debian's done to a package versus what upstream's done pretty easily.  Once it's all inline, it's harder to sort (I can't just apt-get source and look in debian/patches anymore).06:30
lamontScottK: right. you have to go to the VGS06:30
lamontVCS even06:30
lamontwhich, if it's private, justifies dpatch/quilt.06:31
lamontif it's public, well.  tough.  go fetch.06:31
ScottKGo to the VCS = harder unless you are the maintainer who's got it handy.06:31
lamontapt-get source postfix on gutsy and read what it says...06:31
=== ScottK will.
lamontnot postfix06:33
ScottKNo, not postfix.06:34
lamontwhere did I see that...06:36
pkernapt? But that's bzr06:36
minghuaAre we talking about the gutsy dpkg-source recognizing the various XS-VCS-* stuff?06:37
lamontapt 0.7.6ubuntu10:06:37
lamontNOTICE: 'alsa-oss' packaging is maintained in the 'Svn' version control system at:06:37
pkernPlease use:06:37
pkernbzr get http://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/apt/ubuntu06:37
pkernto retrieve the latest (possible unreleased) updates to the package.06:37
pkern*more helpful*06:37
lamontpkern: except for the s/possible/possibly/06:37
lamonttell me that's not in released code...06:37
pkernlamont: Of course it is. Aren't we in string freeze? :-P06:38
=== Amaranth [n=travis@ubuntu/member/Amaranth] has joined #ubuntu-motu
lamontpkern: string freeze is so we can translate the strings... I think that one needs to be translated to english. :-P06:38
broonieThe dpatch UI for working on patches always strikes me as fairly painful due to the copying.06:38
lamontbroonie: it used to not copy.  that was worse when it had patch failures.06:39
broonieReally, why?06:39
pkernquilt solves that one ;)06:39
brooniequilt deals with that pretty naturally, I find.06:39
lamontbecause then you have a broken tree, in some semi-random state in dpatch, not unpatchable (because of the rejects), etc.06:39
minghualamont: Actually, adding an English translation is probably a better fix for now. :-)06:39
ScottKlamont: Poorly worded info note is still way better than the stop and ask are you sure you actually want the actual source package that you already said you wanted behavior that preceeded what we have now.06:40
lamontanyway, in trouble now and leaving the house... my bad.06:40
pkernScottK: Nice phrase.06:40
ScottKWell I'm still not over my reaction to that one the first time I hit it.06:41
=== pkern grins.
=== pkern ponders where in real life computing Predicate transformer semantics are needed.
=== ogra [n=ogra@ubuntu/member/ogra] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Martinp23 [n=martinp2@wikimedia/Martinp23] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Martinp23 [n=martinp2@wikimedia/Martinp23] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== norsetto [n=Cesare@host150-218-dynamic.9-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== jpatrick [n=patrick@208.Red-88-14-90.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== predius [n=predius@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Martinp23 [n=martinp2@wikimedia/Martinp23] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Mez [n=Mez@ubuntu/member/mez] has joined #ubuntu-motu
leonelno debootstrap for gutsy on feisty ?07:52
leonelleonel@journey:~$ sudo debootstrap  gutsy gutsy-chroot07:52
leonelE: No such script: /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/gutsy07:52
pkernYou could either copy the script from gutsy debootstrap or backport it altogether.07:54
leonelpkern: ok07:55
pkernThere is a 1.0.1~feisty1 in feisty-backports07:55
ScottKleonel: There's one in feisty-backports that supports gutsy07:55
ScottKYeah.  That one.07:55
leonelScottK: thanks  found it  and  downloading07:55
pkern.oO( packages.u.c does not list files for *-backports? )07:55
pkernScottK: Otherwise I would have suggested one. ;)07:56
ScottKpkern: You have to look in LP to get *-backports.07:56
leonelleonel@journey:~$ sudo debootstrap  gutsy gutsy-chroot07:56
leonelI: Retrieving Release07:56
leonel   <-- YES   Thank  you !07:56
ScottKThey are technically a separate project.07:56
=== zachy [i=zakame@ubuntu/member/zakame] has joined #ubuntu-motu
pkernScottK: That wouldn't give me a file list neither. ;)07:57
ScottKBlessed by Ubuntu TB and supported by the Ubuntu archive, but not "Ubuntu".07:57
pkernScottK: It does list the version but shows "no information available" on the file list.07:57
pkernScottK: (packages.u.c)07:57
=== ScottK tends not to use p.u.c since I usually want to look stuff up by source package anyway.
pkernScottK: http://packages.ubuntu.com/src:pkgname07:59
pkernIt's not that the infrastructure isn't there. ;)07:59
ScottKAh.  Hadn't noticed that.07:59
ScottKI don't think that used to be there, but I also think lots of things that aren't true.  Who know.08:00
=== khermans__ [i=khermans@nat/cisco/x-c41915292322ba54] has joined #ubuntu-motu
ScottKknos/knows even08:00
=== jeromeg [n=jerome@gra94-2-82-66-142-60.fbx.proxad.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
pkernScottK: It's on packages.d.o since ages.08:02
pkernScottK: Or did you mean *-backports?08:02
ScottKOK.  I meant the source package thing on p.u.c.08:03
ScottKp.d.o I use for source package info all the time.08:03
pkernThe two sites share the codebase. ;)08:03
pkernBah, it would be too hard for git to support `update', right? /me coughs.08:04
ScottKIIRC what happened is I once got burned trying to figure something out because p.u.c was lagging the archive and LP wasn't and so from then I tend to look in LP.08:06
pkernYeah ok, it's lagging.08:06
jeromeghello all08:06
pkernThe script is called `bin/daily' so I guess it updates only once a day ;)08:06
ScottKhello jeromeg08:06
jeromegwho should i bother to fix bug 149763 ?08:08
ubotuLaunchpad bug 149763 in vim "vim: packages missing in repository" [Undecided,Incomplete]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/14976308:08
jeromegit's a problem with the dapper cz.archive.ubuntu.com08:08
jeromegit seems to be incorrectly synced with the main one08:09
ScottKjeromeg: Not sure, but #canonical-sysadmin comes to mind as a possibility.08:10
=== jsomers [n=jsomers@d51A50113.access.telenet.be] has joined #ubuntu-motu
jeromegScottK: ok thank you08:10
jeromegScottK: btw did you had some time to look at the gimmie backport request ? python-sexy is ok now08:11
ScottKjeromeg: I'll look now.08:11
jeromegScottK: thx08:12
jeromegbye all08:22
=== Kopfgeldjaeger [n=nicolai@p54AD7D10.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
Kopfgeldjaegerwhat do i have to specify in a .desktop file if i want a application to show up in the "Open with other application" "menu" ?08:26
ScottKKopfgeldjaeger: If no one has specific suggestions, I'd suggest look here: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/desktop-entry-spec08:29
pochuKopfgeldjaeger: I'm not sure, but maybe the mime information?08:31
Kopfgeldjaegerhum.. i already added MimeType=X (and the files are associated with the applications (all but flv files..)), but it does not show up in that menu08:32
=== ScottLij [n=scott@24-180-196-49.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== jpatrick [n=patrick@208.Red-88-14-90.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
pochuKopfgeldjaeger: did you run dh_desktop?08:46
Kopfgeldjaegerpochu: er... no. i copy the files manually into */applications/*. what exactly does dh_desktop do?08:47
pochuIt calls update-desktop-database, which I think updates the MimeType database...08:48
=== cassidy [n=cassidy@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
pochuso just run update-desktop-database08:48
=== norsetto [n=Cesare@host173-208-dynamic.19-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== begert_away [n=booga@cpe-74-74-217-64.rochester.res.rr.com] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Zombie [n=masterz@adsl-78-71.lex.bluegrass.net] has left #ubuntu-motu ["Leaving"]
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Kopfgeldjaeger [n=nicolai@p54AD73AD.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== sevrin [n=sevrin@ns1.clipsalportal.com] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== RobinD [n=robind@69-30-77-125.dq1sn.easystreet.com] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== pkern_ [n=pkern@durotan.0x539.de] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== vil [n=vladimir@ubuntu/member/vil] has joined #ubuntu-motu
pkern_Bloody Freenode.09:32
=== lamego [n=Future@] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== pkern_ is now known as pkern
=== zenrox [n=zenrox@pool-71-115-208-222.spknwa.dsl-w.verizon.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
xtknightis there a good list of targets you can use in debian/rules?09:45
pkernYou can use anything. :-P09:47
pkernxtknight: http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-debianrules09:47
pkernget-orig-source (optional)09:47
xtknightpkern, i don't see "install" or "binary-install" here09:47
pkernThis target fetches the most recent version of the original source package from a canonical archive site (via FTP or WWW, for example) [...] 09:47
pkernxtknight: There isn't anything like install.09:47
pkernxtknight: It's called binary.09:48
xtknightpkern, e.g. "install/fluid::"09:48
xtknightmaybe this is something w/ debhelper?09:48
pkernMaybe this is something w/ *dbs?09:48
=== pkern is scared off.
xtknightnot sure09:48
xtknighttrying to make a patch for bug 13998009:49
ubotuLaunchpad bug 139980 in fltk1.1 "fluid missing menu icon" [Undecided,New]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/13998009:49
pkerndebhelper.mk... that sounds like *dbs. I don't know anything about that!09:49
xtknightand the archive admins would like it so that it only modifies debian/ for now09:49
xtknighti need to figure out how to modify what actually gets placed in the deb.  like i want to move a file within the deb, at the last second, somehow by using debian/rules09:55
xtknightunder binary-install "mv debian/tmp/usr/share/applnk/Development/fluid.desktop debian/tmp/usr/share/applications" this didn't yield anything different in the final deb09:55
xtknightahh here we go https://perso.duckcorp.org/duck/cdbs-doc/cdbs-doc.xhtml#id248067509:55
xtknightwoohoo, you can actually modify a makefile too in rules09:55
=== jussio1 [n=jussi@dyn3-82-128-184-134.psoas.suomi.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
lamegoxtknight, are you using cdbs ?09:55
xtknightlamego, i think so.  i am using debhelper09:55
=== ScottK2 [n=ScottK@ubuntu/member/scottk] has joined #ubuntu-motu
xtknightthese rules on the page correspond with what i'm seeing in the rules file that i am modifying.09:55
xtknightfor example they already have some binary-install stuff there to do various things09:55
xtknightwell "install", "binary-predeb" rather09:55
xtknighti need to move a file at the last second.  the deb gets built and file "A" gets put in it.  well i need to move file "A"  to the correct location right before it spits a .deb file out.  i have to find the right rule to do this09:56
xtknightbinary-predeb perhaps09:57
ScottK2xtknight: What's wrong with mv ...09:57
lamegoif you are using debhelper you are not using cdbs :)09:58
xtknightScottK, well nothing but i need to find where to put mv ;)09:58
lamegowith cdbs that would go into install/package::09:58
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== norsetto [n=Cesare@host173-208-dynamic.19-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-motu
xtknightah well first i needed  a peak at debian/fluid.install10:01
xtknightpeek *10:02
lamegothat allows to copy, not to move10:02
xtknightaltlhough i was copying the wrong filename10:02
xtknightsee when i changed applnk/Development to applications, i forgot to do it in fluid.install10:03
xtknightgot it working now though10:03
xtknighti added my stuff to the install/fluid:: rule (move applnk/Development->applications in debian/tmp), and then in fluid.install i modified applnk/Development to applications and all is well10:03
=== nitrocks [n=eric@c-67-163-172-131.hsd1.ct.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== mruiz [n=mruiz@ubuntu/member/mruiz] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== cprov [n=cprov@canonical/launchpad/cprov] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== finalbeta [n=gggggggg@ip-83-134-149-100.dsl.scarlet.be] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== nitrocks [n=eric@c-67-163-172-131.hsd1.ct.comcast.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== AlinuxOS [n=vsichi@host72-133-dynamic.16-87-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== Ash-Fox [n=N@host81-136-252-148.in-addr.btopenworld.com] has joined #Ubuntu-motu
imbrandonmoins fellas11:32
=== `23meg [n=m@ubuntu/member/-23meg] has joined #ubuntu-motu
pochuhey imbrandon, would you mind uploading liferea for me, if you have some time?11:35
imbrandonpochu: yea give me a few seconds and a url to grab11:36
pochuimbrandon: thanks, it's at http://emilio.pozuelo.org/~deb/liferea_1.4.4-0ubuntu1.dsc , and these are the changes to debian/ dir: http://emilio.pozuelo.org/~deb/liferea-debian.diff11:38
imbrandonpochu: kk, give me a few minutes and i'll look it over and upload it11:39
imbrandoni'll prod you when its done11:39
pochuSure, thanks a lot :-)11:39
pwnguinim just gonna put this out there: packaging firefox adblock without a filterset is pretty useless11:43
=== nicolai [n=nicolai@p54AD5C38.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
superm1imbrandon, aren't we in a freeze right now though, are you allowed to upload to main?11:55
=== nicolai__ [n=nicolai@p54AD7FD2.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
pochusuperm1, imbrandon: slangasek approved it yesterday.11:56
superm1ah i see11:57
superm1universe is still okay to upload to though right?  just needs a prod from ~ubuntu-archive after its in11:57
pochuI think so.11:57
=== haasdasd [n=nicolai@p54AD5FBB.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
superm1any idea on the hard freeze date for universe then?11:58
superm1that we can't even do that11:58
imbrandonpochu: i dont see an "ok" in the changelog refrenced anywhere, got a url for me ?11:58
pochuimbrandon: an url for the approvation?11:59
=== anibal [n=anibal@debian/developer/anibal] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== buzztracker [n=buzztrac@pelikan.garga.net] has joined #ubuntu-motu
pochuimbrandon: http://people.ubuntu.com/~fabbione/irclogs/ubuntu-devel-current.html , 01:0612:02
imbrandonerm there isnt even a lp bug with it acked? i'm not sure whom slangasek is or if he has the authority to ack it or if it was actualy him on irc authenticated12:03
imbrandonpochu: ^12:04
pkernimbrandon: He has the authority.12:04
pkernimbrandon: He's RM.12:05
=== effie_jayx [n=valles@ubuntu/member/effie-jayx] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== slackwarelife [n=slackwar@host123-195-dynamic.58-82-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #ubuntu-motu
=== slackwarelife [n=slackwar@host123-195-dynamic.58-82-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has left #ubuntu-motu []
pochuimbrandon: I would say he was authenticated, since he has been online for ~ 3 days or so...12:09
pochuslangasek: pingaling :-)12:09
imbrandonpochu: i got it12:09
pochuimbrandon: I'm off to bed, thanks again :-)12:25
pochuNight all!12:25
=== persia [n=persia@ubuntu/member/persia] has joined #ubuntu-motu

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!