=== mrevell is now known as mrevell-lunch
=== mrevell-lunch is now known as mrevell
kikothumper, you actually around?13:56
RinchenSteveA, I'd like for us to use mootbot today14:00
RinchenDo you want to do that or shall I run it on the side?14:00
Rinchencommands here below the fold:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScribesTeam/MootBot14:00
kikoRinchen, since you know the commands, why don't you run it?14:01
kikoI spoke to SteveA about it yesterday14:01
Rinchenokey dokey14:01
MootBotMeeting started at 14:02. The chair is Rinchen.14:02
MootBotCommands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]14:02
RinchenWelcome to the Launchpad Developers meeting!  The purpose of the meetings is to coordinate Launchpad development, and particularly to ensure that none of the developers is blocked from doing what they need to do.14:03
Rinchen[TOPIC] Roll Call14:03
MootBotNew Topic:  Roll Call14:03
barryme (sorta)14:04
Rinchenok, moving on.  And my apologies for not pasting in the agenda.14:05
intellectronicaLongPointyStick: see what you've done? you scared gmb away14:06
Rinchen[TOPIC] Agenda14:06
MootBotNew Topic:  Agenda14:06
RinchenNext meeting14:06
RinchenActions from last meeting14:06
RinchenOops report (Matsubara)14:06
RinchenCritical Bugs (Rinchen)14:06
* LongPointyStick MUHAHAHAHAHAHA14:06
schwukRinchen: gmb is having issues with Freenode - he'll be back shortly14:06
RinchenBug tags14:06
RinchenOperations report (mthaddon)14:06
RinchenDBA report (stub)14:06
RinchenSysadmin requests (Rinchen)14:06
RinchenA top user-affecting issue (mrevell)14:06
Rinchenany changes to the agenda?14:07
Rinchen[TOPIC] Next meeting14:07
MootBotNew Topic:  Next meeting14:07
LongPointyStickintellectronica: anyone else you want scared away?14:08
kikosame time, same place.14:08
Rinchennext meeting is scheduled for the the 24th14:08
RinchenAnyone know ahead of time that they will not be able to attend?14:08
intellectronicai may or may not be able to attend14:08
BjornTi might not be there next week14:08
Rinchen[AGREE] next meeting is scheduled for the 24th14:08
intellectronicai'll let you know in advance, as soon as i know of the plans for next week14:09
Rinchen[AGREED] next meeting is scheduled for the 24th14:09
MootBotAGREED received:  next meeting is scheduled for the 24th14:09
Rinchenthank intellectronica and BjornT14:09
Rinchen[TOPIC] Actions from last meeting14:09
MootBotNew Topic:  Actions from last meeting14:09
Rinchen[AGREED] There were no actions14:09
MootBotAGREED received:  There were no actions14:09
Rinchen[TOPIC] Oops report (Matsubara)14:10
MootBotNew Topic:  Oops report (Matsubara)14:10
matsubaraToday's oops report is about bugs 183626, 16023614:10
ubotuBug 183626 on http://launchpad.net/bugs/183626 is private14:10
matsubarastub, I assigned 160236 to you. Can you take a look? It's reproducible with14:10
matsubaratwo slightly different patterns.14:10
matsubarajamesh, can you take 183626?14:10
Rinchen[LINK] http://launchpad.net/bugs/18362614:10
MootBotLINK received:  http://launchpad.net/bugs/18362614:10
* stub has a look14:11
jameshmatsubara: sure.14:11
matsubarathere's another oops re: mailing lists that I discussed with barry and will file it later on.14:11
matsubarathanks jamesh14:11
Rinchen[LINK] http://launchpad.net/bugs/16023614:11
MootBotLINK received:  http://launchpad.net/bugs/16023614:11
jameshthat one probably doesn't need to be private14:11
matsubarajamesh: all right, I'll change the privacy14:11
stubBug 16023614:11
ubotuBug 160236 on http://launchpad.net/bugs/160236 is private14:11
Rinchen[AGREED] jamesh to review bug 18362614:12
MootBotAGREED received:  jamesh to review bug 18362614:12
ubotuLaunchpad bug 183626 in launchpad "OOPS accessing openid identification URL of a non-existent user" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/18362614:12
jameshMooBot is quite talkative14:12
Rinchenyeah :-)14:12
SteveAit's like a three stooges skit14:13
RinchenWill stub be looking at the other bug?14:13
matsubarastub: you ok with taking the other one?14:13
stubmatsubara: Bug 160236 is one for me. It hasn't been prioritised or targetted. Probably a days work given distractions.14:13
ubotuBug 160236 on http://launchpad.net/bugs/160236 is private14:13
Rinchen[AGREED] stub will be looking at bug 16023614:13
MootBotAGREED received:  stub will be looking at bug 16023614:13
ubotuBug 160236 on http://launchpad.net/bugs/160236 is private14:13
ubotuBug 160236 on http://launchpad.net/bugs/160236 is private14:13
SteveAstub: please comment on but 160236 as to whether there are any security implications14:13
matsubarathanks stub.14:13
matsubaraRinchen: I'm done. thank you.14:14
RinchenThanks matsubara14:14
Rinchen[TOPIC] Critical Bugs (Rinchen)14:14
MootBotNew Topic:  Critical Bugs (Rinchen)14:14
RinchenHi, have one for today14:14
Rinchen[LINK] https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/18329714:14
MootBotLINK received:  https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/18329714:14
=== gmb_ is now known as gmb
SteveAstub: as in, I'd like a comment if there are.  And I'd like a comment if there aren't.  And I'd like a comment if it needs more research or thinking.14:14
Rinchenbug 18329714:14
ubotuBug 183297 on http://launchpad.net/bugs/183297 is private14:14
RinchenEdwin, where do you stand on that?14:14
matsubarathat's fixed Rinchen, we need a CP for it14:14
stubSteveA: Doing now.14:15
Rinchenkiko, will you approve the CP for that?14:15
EdwinGrubbsRinchen: I finally got it landed, after lifeless killed off a process on the pqm box that was holding open a port which caused the tests to fail every time for everyone14:15
kikoRinchen, matsubara: does it happen often enough for a CP?14:15
RinchenThanks Edwin.14:16
matsubarakiko: it's a security vulnerability14:16
SteveApoint of order14:16
SteveAbugs don't get approved for a CP14:16
SteveAbranches or patches do14:16
Rinchenso noted.14:17
SteveAthe approver's job is to be assured that the change is minimal14:17
SteveAand as free of risk as possible14:17
SteveAand that it actually fixes the problem14:17
kikosince I'm who approves them in general, rest assured that I KNOW THAT :-P14:17
kikoI need to see a diff anyway14:17
SteveAkiko: this isn't just for you ;-)14:18
EdwinGrubbskiko: it's revision 551714:18
kikoif somebody else wants to approve CPs they are in big trouble14:18
RinchenThanks kiko.  Any other discussion on this topic?14:18
Rinchen[TOPIC] Bug tags14:18
SteveAkiko: well... YT likes to approve them sometimes ;-)14:18
MootBotNew Topic:  Bug tags14:18
RinchenThere are no proposed bug tags.14:19
SteveAnonetheless, I think it's important that we all understand what the process is, and why14:19
Rinchen[TOPIC] Operations report (mthaddon)14:19
MootBotNew Topic:  Operations report (mthaddon)14:19
mthaddonWorking with thumper to finalise staging codehosting setup14:19
mthaddonProduction mailman pretty much in place14:19
mthaddonStaging update script has had an overall and will be putting in place notifications shortly14:19
mthaddonThat's it from me unless there are any questions14:19
kikomthaddon, note https://staging.launchpad.net/successful-updates.txt14:20
kikowhich is a neat URL to have14:20
Rinchen[LINK] https://staging.launchpad.net/successful-updates.txt14:20
MootBotLINK received:  https://staging.launchpad.net/successful-updates.txt14:20
SteveAdo we have that linked from one of the wiki pages about production systems?14:20
mthaddonI'll be putting in place a daily email if the updates haven't succeeded14:20
SteveAthat would rock14:20
kikomthaddon, yeah, add it to the wikipage14:20
Rinchenmthaddon, we should chat later to see about adding it to devpad landing14:21
mthaddonyep, will figure out with Rinchen where the best place to put it is14:21
Rinchen[AGREED] mthaddon and Rinchen to figure out best place to link the link14:22
MootBotAGREED received:  mthaddon and Rinchen to figure out best place to link the link14:22
Rinchen[TOPIC] DBA report (stub)14:22
MootBotNew Topic:  DBA report (stub)14:22
stubDB patches for this cycle have been approved. The ones I need to land have landed except for one of Tom's, which is next in the PQM queue.14:22
stubPeople with outstanding db patches they need to land please land them.14:22
stubNew DB hardware coming soon. Need to chase up status with elmo.14:23
SteveAthat would rock/win 1414:23
stubNothing else.14:23
Rinchen[TOPIC] Sysadmin requests (Rinchen)14:23
MootBotNew Topic:  Sysadmin requests (Rinchen)14:23
RinchenIs anyone blocked on an RT or have any that are becoming urgent?14:24
kikono, though I have a few there14:24
kikoah, question14:24
Rinchenand the agreed above from Tom should have been an action. My mistake.14:24
kikosalgado, do we need to deploy anything for tickcount to work?14:24
salgadokiko, nope, although at this time they're only being stored14:24
flacosteBtw, my original patch for bug #5313 was rejected by pqm for those14:24
flacosteunrelated errors we are seeing so I decided to wait for this small14:24
flacostechange approval to merge all together.14:24
ubotuLaunchpad bug 5313 in launchpad "Allow menu links in arbitrary templates" [Medium,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/531314:24
flacostei have an RT14:25
carlosflacoste: that's my text :-P14:25
flacosteRT  #29756: Need an apache box to serve list of country mirrors to apt14:25
kikosalgado, I don't quite get that -- isn't there a python extension that counts?14:25
flacostecarlos: i know, it was in the X selection14:25
salgadokiko, ah, right.  I'll add it as a dependency in launchpad-dependencies14:25
Rinchenflacoste, how urgent is that RT?14:26
kikosalgado, is it in PQM? otherwise won't your landing fail?14:26
flacostesalgado: ?14:26
salgadokiko, my landing will probably fail, good point14:26
kikosalgado, and note with mthaddon that it needs to be updated?14:26
flacostesalgado: we have the same issue with python-simplejson14:26
flacosteit's preventing leonardr' branches from landing14:26
salgadookay, looks like I'll have to do that today14:27
salgadono worries, it's quick14:27
flacosteRinchen: i don't think it's that urgent, salgado?14:27
salgadoRinchen, not urgent, no14:27
SteveAI wonder...14:27
Rinchen[ACTION] salgado to update launchpad-dependencies14:28
MootBotACTION received:  salgado to update launchpad-dependencies14:28
SteveAshould we have lanchpad-dependencies packages under /sourcecode/ in a standard RF tree14:28
SteveAso that it's easy to see what they are14:28
kikoSteveA, salgado: are they big?14:28
SteveAthey shoiuld be tiny14:28
kikothen that'd be a good idea14:29
SteveAthanks kiko14:29
Rinchenwho will do that?14:29
salgadopython-imaging, graphviz, bison, cvs?14:29
Rinchensalgado I assume yes?14:29
SteveAI don't mean the actual dependencies themselves14:29
salgadothese are some of the dependencies of launchpad-dependencies14:29
SteveAI mean the deb package14:29
SteveAthe "metadata only" thing14:29
SteveAthat we build into the dependencies package14:30
salgadoah, okay14:30
SteveAsorry I was unclear there14:30
salgadoit's easy to see that with "apt-cache show launchpad-dependencies", though14:30
SteveAthat tells you what is installed on a system14:30
SteveAor perhaps what is available in our repo14:30
SteveAdoesn't show us the history, or what was added and why14:30
salgadonope, that gives you the description of the package, including its dependencies14:31
salgadofor the history we have debdiff14:31
SteveAwe also have bzr14:31
SteveAand I know how to use bzr14:31
Rinchenso SteveA, it's unclear if you are suggesting that salgado do this or requesting that he do this.14:32
SteveAI proposed that it is a good idea14:32
SteveAI think kiko concurs14:32
SteveAso, next step would be filing a bug14:32
kikoI propose salgado do it14:32
SteveAit's not urgent14:32
kikoI don't like good ideas with nobody to do them14:32
SteveAbut is a good thing14:32
kikoif nobody's going to do them14:32
kikothen don't have the idea <wink>14:33
jameshcould we manage launchpad-dependencies in a PPA?14:33
mptand if it's not in the bugtracker, itl'l be forgotten14:33
SteveAI second salgado do it :)14:33
salgadoI still think that's unnecessary as it's easy to get the history if we ever need it14:33
kikosalgado, the problem is the opacity of it -- I don't know where to look if I wanna change it14:33
kikoand I need to learn one more location14:33
cprovjamesh: the unsigned archives will beat us14:33
SteveAlet's have this discussion in the bug report14:33
kikoto answer the question14:33
SteveAif we end up closing it with no action14:33
SteveAthen the discussion is captured there14:33
jameshcprov: it'd be good to fix that :)14:33
SteveAand if we do it, it gets tracked there14:34
Rinchen[ACTION] salgado to investigate adding launchpad-dependencies metadata to RF  /sourcecode. A bug report should be filed.14:34
MootBotACTION received:  salgado to investigate adding launchpad-dependencies metadata to RF  /sourcecode. A bug report should be filed.14:34
RinchenAny further discussion on this topic or RT requests?14:34
Rinchen[TOPIC] A top user-affecting issue (mrevell)14:34
MootBotNew Topic:  A top user-affecting issue (mrevell)14:34
cprovjamesh: yes, at some point, but not /tomorrow/14:34
mrevellThis week's user-affecting issue arises from emails we've had over the past couple of weeks to feedback@launchpad.net.14:34
SteveAdo our OOPS management scripts and cgis live under /sourcecode/ too?14:35
mrevellIt appears some people are getting stuck in the new account creation process.14:35
SteveAI think that would be good, for the same reasons14:35
mrevell The emails we've had suggest that, after following the link in the confirmation email, some of our users don't realise that they have to enter their new password twice.14:35
mrevellLooking at the /+newaccount page I think the instructions are reasonably straightforward.14:35
jameshSteveA: they are in a bazaar branch, but not checked out under sourcecode14:35
mrevellHowever, Richard Weideman has also been in touch to say that he feels that were Launchpad to become more popular in an educational setting - such as students and teachers reporting Edubuntu bugs - the signup process may require some more niceties.14:35
mrevellIn my chat with Richard, we discussed rewriting the confirmation email to make it friendlier and to offer more handholding.14:35
mrevellI'd like to get your input on this, please, via the launchpad-users list.14:35
mrevellThanks Rinchen14:35
SteveAjamesh: let's get them present under /sourcecode.  they're not big, and it's more apparent where to get them and work on them if they're there14:35
mptbug 183230 may be relevant14:36
RinchenThanks mrevell.14:36
ubotuLaunchpad bug 183230 in launchpad "Field for retyping your password should have a separate label" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/18323014:36
SteveAaction on matsubara ?14:36
kikomrevell, Rinchen: there is already a bug for this14:36
kikoas mpt says14:36
kikoI'm not sure what else we could do14:36
mptand bug 129399, which is a separate issue14:36
ubotuLaunchpad bug 129399 in launchpad ""Password:" label is cryptic on confirmation page" [Low,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/12939914:36
mrevellkiko: Yeah, I'm also not sure what else we could do. Thanks fo rpointing to those bugs.14:37
kikompt, I think that bug is fixed -- carlos?14:37
carlosmpt: I'm working on that bug and should be fixed in this cycle14:37
carloskiko: I got new requirements and a better way to fix it14:37
RinchenSteveA, I'll follow up with matsubara on the other request14:37
kikocarlos, har har14:37
mptcarlos, you're working on 183230 afaik14:37
carloswell, not really new requirements but a new mandatory way to solve it14:37
mpt129399 is separate14:38
carlosmpt: yeah, that's what I was talking about14:38
mptand probably easier14:38
carlossorry, I don't type fast enough...14:38
Rinchen[LINK]  https://launchpad.net/bugs/18323014:38
MootBotLINK received:   https://launchpad.net/bugs/18323014:38
ubotuLaunchpad bug 183230 in launchpad "Field for retyping your password should have a separate label" [High,Triaged]14:38
Rinchen[LINK] https://launchpad.net/bugs/12939914:38
MootBotLINK received:  https://launchpad.net/bugs/12939914:38
ubotuLaunchpad bug 129399 in launchpad ""Password:" label is cryptic on confirmation page" [Low,Confirmed]14:38
RinchenAny further discussion on mrevell's topic?14:39
Rinchenok, we have two last minute additions to the agenda14:39
SteveA \o/14:39
Rinchen[TOPIC] making good use of our beta testers  - SteveA14:39
MootBotNew Topic:  making good use of our beta testers  - SteveA14:39
kikoah, that topic. I can discourse about it too. :)14:40
SteveAI've been talking with mark about making good use of the efforts our enthusiastic band of beta testers offer to us14:40
SteveAI don't want to say much about it now, cos we don't have much time14:40
SteveAhowever, there will be discussions and email threads about it soon, and we'll most likely have one feature per release14:40
SteveAthat we make special in some way, for beta testers14:41
SteveAthat's all from me on this for now.14:41
Rinchen[TOPIC] getting creative about adoption and communication - SteveA14:41
MootBotNew Topic:  getting creative about adoption and communication - SteveA14:41
SteveAalso, I've been chatting with mark about how we get people to adopt launchpad14:42
SteveAand how we communicate with the outside world about how launchpad is pretty darn cool14:42
SteveAI want us to try some LEAN experiments in this direction14:42
SteveAso I'll be talking with kiko and other team leads about this over the coming days, to see if we can come up with some ideas within teams14:43
kikookay okay14:43
SteveAI don't have good answers, but I think we can make a good process to experiment and try stuff out14:43
SteveAand that's all from me on this, for now14:43
RinchenThanks SteveA for both topics14:43
Rinchen[TOPIC] Blockers14:43
MootBotNew Topic:  Blockers14:43
jtvTranslations: Not blocked14:44
RinchenReleases Team: Not Blocked.14:44
SteveAstub, jamesh: you guys blocked?14:44
BjornTBugs Team: not blocked14:44
stubSteveA: Thai food, no way.14:44
SteveASC: not blocked14:44
bigjoolsSoyuz Team: not blocked14:44
schwukHWDB: not blocked14:44
flacosteFoundations: some branches are waiting on simplejson and tickcount installation before being landed14:44
statiklpcomm: not blocked14:44
Rinchen[AGREED] Foundations: some branches are waiting on simplejson and tickcount installation before being landed14:45
MootBotAGREED received:  Foundations: some branches are waiting on simplejson and tickcount installation before being landed14:45
Rinchen(shows up in the meeting summary that way)14:45
kikoflacoste, be careful with those dependencies -- maybe elmo needs to be notified, but mthaddon can advise14:45
Rinchenah sorry14:45
RinchenCode Hosting?14:45
flacostekiko: we need a backport (rebuild) for simplejson, maybe also tickcount14:45
SteveARinchen: we have no code hosting representative here14:45
salgadoflacoste, kiko, these dependencies can't be added to the dapper package, so we'll have to backport them and install in the machines14:45
kikoflacoste, sounds like problems14:45
SteveARinchen: we need to contact tim, and let him know some kind of representation is expected14:46
Rinchen[ACTION] Rinchen to contact thumper about meeting representation14:46
MootBotACTION received:  Rinchen to contact thumper about meeting representation14:46
RinchenThanks all14:46
MootBotMeeting finished at 14:46.14:46
SteveAthanks Rinchen14:46
SteveAthanks MootBot14:46
SteveAthanks kiko14:46
RinchenLogs available at http://kryten.incognitus.net/mootbot/meetings/14:46
SteveAthanks wonderful launchpad team!14:46
jtvSteveA: Thank you14:46
Rinchenkiko, so this is nifty:  http://kryten.incognitus.net/mootbot/meetings/launchpad-meeting.20080117_1402.html14:48
mpt<table border="1">, yo14:49
Rinchenwith the full log at http://kryten.incognitus.net/mootbot/meetings/launchpad-meeting.log.20080117_1402.html14:49
RinchenSeeker`, ping14:50
Seeker`Rinchen: pong14:58
RinchenHiya Seeker`14:58
RinchenSome feedback after the LP meeting on the bot14:58
Rinchenit worked great but it was too noisy14:58
Rinchenis there a way to turn off in channel responses and just keep the moderate private messages?14:58
=== Rinchen changed the topic of #launchpad-meeting to: Launchpad Meeting Grounds | Channel logs: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/ | Meeting Logs: Logs available at http://kryten.incognitus.net/mootbot/meetings/
Seeker`it would be possible14:59
Seeker`but I dont have access to the server atm14:59
Seeker`and the guy that does has disappeared it seems14:59
Seeker`but the actual code change shouldn't be too hard14:59
RinchenIf we need to find better hosting, we might be able to get this hosted at ubuntu.com (the place we host irclogs)15:00
Hobbseehah.  dream on.15:01
Seeker`the hosting is fine, but I forgot my password, and the guy that owns the server isn't about atm :)15:01
RinchenSeeker`, would you be amiable to making those code changes soonish and trying to contact the kryten owner?15:01
matsubaraRinchen: bug 17493015:01
ubotuLaunchpad bug 174930 in mootbot "Very spammy bot" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/17493015:01
Hobbseewhen you manage to get rt to host an irc bot on canonical servers, and give some community people access to it, /please/ contact me.15:01
Hobbseeirc council has been trying that one for a while15:01
matsubarabtw, how does it compute the people present?15:01
Rinchenthanks matsubara.  There you go Seeker` , your very own bug report15:01
Seeker`matsubara: It looks at who says stuf15:02
Seeker`matsubara: If someone says something and they aren't in the list, it adds them15:02
Seeker`I cant make any changes in the next week or so, as I am in the middle of exams15:02
Rinchenwe could probably put the logs on irclogs.  If we can't host the bot then maybe Dennis could?15:02
Hobbseematsubara: you could just quiet it in the channel15:02
Rinchenor I can give you an account on my home server.15:03
HobbseeRinchen: seveas/  he doesn't wnat to host more bots, and is trying to give up ubotu as it is15:03
matsubaraHobbsee: yeah, that would be an workaround. It's nice to have some feedback from it that it took the commands, though15:05
Seeker`once I can get in cotnact with the guy with the passwords, I can make changes to the bot easily15:05
RinchenSeeker`, Hobbsee - the other idea is to contact imbrandon since he's got a farm bigger than mine15:05
Rinchenand he runs a bunch of free services15:05
Seeker`matsubara: It PMs the meeting chair with messages like it does the channel15:05
kikomatsubara, what Seeker` said. :)15:06
HobbseeRinchen: which would give all motu's access to it.  neat.15:06
Rinchenmatsubara, ^^ so if we turn it off in channel, I (or steve or kiko) will still get the ack's back from the bot)15:06
RinchenHobbsee, precisely15:06
matsubaraah ok. thanks Seeker`, Rinchen, kiko15:06
RinchenSeeker`, if you have issues with the hosting. Let me know. I know imbrandon personally so I can ask on your behalf.15:07
Seeker`Rinchen: will do15:08
RinchenThanks again Seeker`15:08
RinchenIt made producing the minutes a 15 second affair. I just copied in the logs and the actions to our meeting agenda page and presto! done!15:08
Rinchen(well, I copied the LINKS to the logs and the action text)15:09
=== matsubara is now known as matsubara-lunch
=== kiko is now known as kiko-fud
=== matsubara-lunch is now known as matsubara
=== kiko-fud is now known as kiko
=== salgado is now known as salgado-afk
=== salgado-afk is now known as salgado
=== matsubara is now known as matsubara-afk
=== matsubara-afk is now known as matsubara
=== salgado is now known as salgado-brb
=== salgado-brb is now known as salgado

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!