/srv/irclogs.ubuntu.com/2008/09/26/#ubuntu-meeting.txt

hokmenyeah, finally i arrive here. - hokmen chan00:04
hokmeni think the firefox(about:config section) can be completed as you wish to. since the hash functions upgraded00:05
hokmenwe all know when the spams easier to be stopped since the sep15 openssl and gnu version upgrade.00:06
hokmennetworking from argo00:07
hokmenbye00:07
hokmen88600:07
=== dholbach_ is now known as dholbach
=== asac_ is now known as asac
=== cjwatson_ is now known as cjwatson
=== davmor2 is now known as davmor2_Lunch
Ziroday@schedule singapore13:29
ubottuSchedule for Asia/Singapore: 26 Sep 23:00: Ubuntu Release | 29 Sep 12:00: Arizona LoCo IRC | 30 Sep 23:00: Server Team | 01 Oct 03:00: LoCo Council | 02 Oct 01:00: QA Team | 02 Oct 06:00: Platform Team13:29
=== davmor2_Lunch is now known as davmor2
freeflying@schedule shanghai14:36
ubottuSchedule for Asia/Shanghai: 26 Sep 23:00: Ubuntu Release | 29 Sep 12:00: Arizona LoCo IRC | 30 Sep 23:00: Server Team | 01 Oct 03:00: LoCo Council | 02 Oct 01:00: QA Team | 02 Oct 06:00: Platform Team14:36
=== nixternal_ is now known as nixternal
=== ubottu changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Current meeting: Ubuntu Release Calendar: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/event | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/ | 29 Sep 04:00: Arizona LoCo IRC | 30 Sep 15:00: Server Team | 30 Sep 19:00: LoCo Council | 01 Oct 17:00: QA Team | 01 Oct 22:00: Platform Team
pittihi15:58
bdmurraypitti: hi15:58
* Hobbsee drive-by waves15:58
sbeattiehey15:59
slangasekmorning16:01
dendrobateshiho.16:01
cjwatsonhi16:01
kwwiihi16:01
loolHeya16:03
pittiargh, my keyboard just went crazy; I need to reboot, back in 316:04
slangasekmdz, davidm, Riddell: ping?16:04
Riddellhi16:04
slangasekhiya16:05
davidmsladen, I'm here and lool is the mobile expert :-)16:05
slangasekHenrik is on holiday, it appears16:05
davidmslangasek, that is16:05
ogradavidm, sladen will be pleased to hear that *g*16:05
davidmgot to watch the tab completions.16:05
ograyeah, i'm catching that special one as well all the time16:06
* ogra wants that vor<tab> extends to slangasek :P16:06
slangasekI imagine there are scripts for that :)16:06
ograheh16:06
slangasekok, quorum; let's get started16:07
slangasek#startmeeting16:07
MootBotslangasek, There is already a meeting in progress.16:07
slangasekum what16:07
Hobbsee#endmeeting16:07
Hobbsee#end meeting16:07
Hobbseehmm16:07
slangaseksigh16:07
slangasekok, moving on without the bot16:07
cjwatsonKeybuk: the last #startmeeting was yours; please end it16:08
slangaseksbeattie: as heno is not here, would you like to give us a brief run-down on QA's status? (if you're comfortable doing so)16:08
sbeattieSure16:08
Keybuk#endmeeting16:08
MootBotMeeting finished at 10:08.16:08
Keybuk:)16:08
slangasek#startmeeting16:08
ograwas that running since yesterday ?16:08
MootBotMeeting started at 10:08. The chair is slangasek.16:08
MootBotCommands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]16:08
slangasek[TOPIC] QA Team16:08
MootBotNew Topic:  QA Team16:09
slangasekogra: yes :)16:09
sbeattieSome bugs we'd like to see some movement on:16:09
ograheh, long log then :)16:09
sbeattie* bug 258743 NM 0.7 Fails To Set Custom MTU/static IP configs not persistent16:09
sbeattie* bug 273833 v86d missing from initramfs16:09
sbeattie* bug 258432 Intrepid live cd drops to busybox, needs more time to find CD livefs16:09
sbeattie* bug 271550 ia32-libs missing libQtDbus/breaks skype (universe package)16:09
ubottuLaunchpad bug 258743 in network-manager "NM 0.7 Fails To Set Custom MTU" [Unknown,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/25874316:09
ubottuLaunchpad bug 273833 in v86d "v86d missing from initramfs" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27383316:09
ubottuLaunchpad bug 258432 in casper "Intrepid 4 live cd drops to busybox, needs more time to  find CD livefs" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/25843216:09
ubottuLaunchpad bug 271550 in ia32-libs "ia32-libs missing libQtDBus, others?" [Critical,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27155016:09
slangasek[LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/2008-09-2616:09
MootBotLINK received:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/2008-09-2616:09
slangasek(link to the agenda)16:09
sbeattieslangasek: last successful Live CD build was 2008092316:10
slangasekwell, I believe there was a successful Live CD build today16:10
pittire (sorry, hardware sucks)16:10
slangasekjust grossly oversized and requiring investigation :)16:10
sbeattieslangasek: ah, just built within last 4 hours16:11
slangasek[LINK https://launchpad.net/bugs/25874316:11
ubottuLaunchpad bug 258743 in network-manager "NM 0.7 Fails To Set Custom MTU" [Unknown,Confirmed]16:11
slangasekmeh16:11
slangasek[LINK] https://launchpad.net/bugs/25874316:11
MootBotLINK received:  https://launchpad.net/bugs/25874316:11
slangasek[LINK] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27383316:11
MootBotLINK received:  https://launchpad.net/bugs/27383316:11
ubottuLaunchpad bug 273833 in v86d "v86d missing from initramfs" [High,Triaged]16:11
slangasek[LINK] https://launchpad.net/bugs/25843216:12
MootBotLINK received:  https://launchpad.net/bugs/25843216:12
ubottuLaunchpad bug 258432 in casper "Intrepid 4 live cd drops to busybox, needs more time to  find CD livefs" [High,Confirmed]16:12
slangasek[LINK] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27155016:12
MootBotLINK received:  https://launchpad.net/bugs/27155016:12
ubottuLaunchpad bug 271550 in ia32-libs "ia32-libs missing libQtDBus, others?" [Critical,Confirmed]16:12
sbeattiewe're making progress on the automated cert testing, 18 machines successfully installed the alpha 6 alt cd this week16:12
cjwatson258432 is open in my browser but I haven't had a chance to prod it yet :-/16:13
slangaseknone of the above bugs showed up on my milestone list earlier; do you think they should all be blockers for beta?  (I'm skeptical of this myself)16:13
pittisbeattie: with alternate and preseeding, or the desktop and some automatic clicking?16:13
cjwatsonI think 273833 needs a decision from the kernel team on what to do?16:13
cjwatsonsince last I heard was that it was OK for v86d to be missing16:13
pittiis v86d really missing? rtg told me it really shouldn't be isntalled at all?16:13
cjwatsonright, that's what I heard16:13
cjwatsonthe syslog noise is annoying though16:14
pgranerslangasek: Sorry I'm late, call ran over16:14
sbeattieMmm, I hit v86d missing on an attempt to use the livecd from 20080923.16:14
cjwatsonright, you're seeing the log messages, but they aren't fatal16:15
slangasekpgraner: understood :)16:15
cjwatsonany fatal problem is something else ...16:15
pgranerBenC: can you comment on LP #273833?16:15
ubottuLaunchpad bug 273833 in v86d "v86d missing from initramfs" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27383316:15
sbeattiecjwatson: I think bug 246269 is the fatal issue16:15
ubottuLaunchpad bug 246269 in linux-meta "Switched from vesafb to uvesafb, but uvesafb can't work without v86d" [Undecided,Invalid] https://launchpad.net/bugs/24626916:15
cjwatsonanyway, we should discuss the specifics on #-devel16:15
lool:win 1016:15
loolUps16:15
bdmurrayright, I wasn't sure how the two were related16:15
slangasek[ACTION] follow-up discussion about bug 273833 on #ubuntu-devel16:16
MootBotACTION received:  follow-up discussion about bug 273833 on #ubuntu-devel16:16
BenCpgraner: Um...if it's not in initramfs it's because it isn't installed16:16
sbeattiepitti: alternate with preseeding16:16
slangaseksbeattie: 258743 is marked regression-potential, but it's rather opaque who has set this tag and on what basis... this is known to have worked before?16:17
sbeattieslangasek: hmm, probably not. we've had some exuberant regression tagging, sorry for the noise on that..16:18
slangaseksbeattie: well, if it's not a regression, I think the priority goes way down on that one; what do you think?16:18
slangasek[ACTION] slangasek to follow up with \sh on bug #271550, to find out where libqt went16:20
MootBotACTION received:  slangasek to follow up with \sh on bug #271550, to find out where libqt went16:20
ubottuLaunchpad bug 271550 in ia32-libs "ia32-libs missing libQtDBus, others?" [Critical,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27155016:20
cjwatson[we're running over ...]16:20
sbeattieslangasek: I agree16:21
sbeattieWe held a test day with good turnout, we'll hold another on Oct 616:21
sbeattieI think that's we have, bdmurray?16:21
sbeattieerr, that's all16:21
bdmurraysbeattie: that's it16:22
slangasekok, thanks guys16:22
slangasek[TOPIC] Desktop Team16:22
MootBotNew Topic:  Desktop Team16:22
slangasekpitti: hi16:22
pittiStatus of desktop specifications:16:23
pittiall implemented (2 are deferred due to needing upstream work), so there will not be any changes any more on that front16:23
pittiany questions on the spec front? if not, I'll go on16:23
cjwatsonkeep going, we can ask questions at the end if need be16:23
pittiBugs from Steve's list:16:23
pitti * #259278 (knetworkmanager doesn't work with NM 0.7): Jonathan uploaded fix to network-manager PPA, will be tested over weekend and land on Monday if all goes well16:23
cjwatson(or in the middle or whatever ...)16:23
pitti * #269500 (misaligned options in Log Out dialog), #269504 (wrong 'suspend' icon in shutdown dialog): Ken just created new icons and sent the update to Seb, who will sponsor it today16:23
pitti * #274140 (fast-user-switch-applet shows wrong suspend/hibernate options): it currently seems to guesstimate, instead it should ask g-power-mgr over dbus what options are available; bug is well understood, and Ted is on it; ETA today16:23
pitti * #274146 (too many logout applets on upgrade): IMHO there is *no* correct way to get this right on upgrades; users will need to remove the one they don't like manually, and we can release-note the issue; discussion started in the bug, but I don't expect this to be fixed by beta, or even final.16:23
pitti * #262228 (guest user can lock themselves out): I have the fix halfway ready, ETA today or at most Monday16:23
pitti * #274303 (warning users on upgrade that non-free X drivers aren't compatible): Michael is currently doing fi16:23
pittinal testing on the fix, ETA today16:23
pitti * #260242 ("report a bug" doesn't work): Fixed with this morning's apport upload16:23
pittiOther bugs we lifted to beta critical:16:24
pitti * #258083 (photo import broken for libgphoto digicams): I fixed the underpinnings in fuse yesterday, now we need to teach f-spot --import to accept a ~/.gvfs/<fuse mount> path; shouldn't be too hard, Seb or I will nail it down Monday, at most Tuesday16:24
slangasek[ACTION] slangasek to open release-notes task for bug #27414616:24
pittiso in summary I think the bug front is under control, albeit last-minute work as always16:24
MootBotACTION received:  slangasek to open release-notes task for bug #27414616:24
ubottuLaunchpad bug 274146 in gnome-session "Has not yet replaced the existing log out applet" [High,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27414616:24
pittiFuture issues which might impact the release:16:25
pitti * #274085 (update Ekiga to 3.00): the "Abiword 2.6 plz" bug of intrepid, came up a few days ago; currently leaning towards "no", but if somebody picks it up and will care about providing packages with a working upgrade path and will care about regression reports, I'd be willing to bless it16:25
pitti^ for that, since there seems to be a PPA of the package, maybe that guy will pick it up (haven't checked yet whether he's upstream)16:25
slangasekyes, great to see this aggressive set of bugs milestoned for beta - better for beta than final :)16:25
pittiright16:26
slangasekthe ekiga ppa is from an upstream, yes16:26
slangasekwe can talk about ekiga out-of-band, I think16:26
Riddellbug 273489 is important, will there be a language-pack upload before beta?16:26
ubottuLaunchpad bug 273489 in rosetta "Remaining Intrepid template approvals" [Critical,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27348916:26
pittigiven our current workload, we won't have time to bring that in for beta, though16:26
loolYeah, please note that the packaging differs significantly and the package name are a pain16:26
lool(for ekiga)16:27
pittiRiddell: there are constant automatic langpakc uploads, at least they are supposed to happen twice a week16:27
Riddellthat doesn't necessarily answer my question :)16:27
pittislangasek: but good point, we should get a fresh -base upload to minimize their size; I'll talk to Arne16:27
pittiRiddell: ^16:27
slangasek[ACTION] pitti to discuss a fresh langpack -base upload with Arne, related to bug #27348916:28
MootBotACTION received:  pitti to discuss a fresh langpack -base upload with Arne, related to bug #27348916:28
ubottuLaunchpad bug 273489 in rosetta "Remaining Intrepid template approvals" [Critical,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27348916:28
pittiRiddell: well, if it's not fixed in intrepid, then there's a bug in langpack-o-matic's cronjobs or rosetta itself; can we discuss this in #devel? I wasn't aware of that so far16:28
slangasekanything else before we shuffle along?16:28
pgranerWeb cam support broke16:28
pittinot from my side16:28
pittipgraner: ah, because we are using hte upstream driver now which threw out all the color codec stuff? is it that?16:28
slangasek[TOPIC] Mobile Team16:28
MootBotNew Topic:  Mobile Team16:28
slangaseklool: hi16:28
loolpgraner: quickcam?16:28
loolpgraner: got that too16:28
pgranerpitti: yep https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/26752216:29
ubottuLaunchpad bug 267522 in linux "webcams stop working with 2.6.27" [Undecided,Confirmed]16:29
loolHeavy copy-pasting planned16:29
loolStuff we will likely drop for intrepid:16:29
lool* poulsbo drivers; Intel said they'd provide a code drop for intrepid in ... January; unlikely to be suitable for intrepid-updates as well; need to drop psb from xserver-xorg-video-all for now as it gets used automatically and we don't want that, but we want to keep the package as a placeholder just in  case we get a doable update; bug #27483316:29
ubottuLaunchpad bug 274833 in xorg "Please disclude xserver-xorg-video-psb from xserver-xorg-video-all" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27483316:29
mdz(slangasek: here now)16:29
loolStuff which landed: installer16:29
slangasekmdz: 'morning :)16:29
loolStuff we're targetting at intrepid:16:29
lool* DC-built images (cdimage) dailies based on mobile/i386 seed (only mid/lpia seed so far); bug #27483816:29
ubottuLaunchpad bug 274838 in mobile-meta "ubuntu-mobile images need to be built on cdimage.ubuntu.com machines" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27483816:29
lool* kernel union fs: aufs needs an update (main kernel is affected as well), we're still using unionfs as a workaround right now; amitk on it, almost done; bug #26404816:29
ubottuLaunchpad bug 264048 in linux-lpia "aufs hangs on rename() in MID live images" [Undecided,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/26404816:29
lool* no wifi for Q1U on lpia; ath5k doesn't work with the chip and no lrm for lpia; amitk working on providing lrm for lpia; bug #27483216:29
ubottuLaunchpad bug 274832 in mobile-meta "no linux-restricted-modules for lpia flavour" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27483216:29
lool* mid images fail to install due to misc ubiquity/kernel/grub/lpia interactions; bug #182004, bug #274752, bug #274753, bug #274781, bug #274785 track these issues; lots of small things discovered only as soon as we had kernel meta in place (happened this week)16:29
ubottuLaunchpad bug 182004 in ubiquity "partitioner fails if partially preseeded due to seen flag madness" [Medium,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/18200416:29
ubottuLaunchpad bug 274752 in mobile-meta "No kernel installed for ubuntu-mid flavour" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27475216:29
ubottuLaunchpad bug 274753 in mobile-meta "No kernel installed with ubuntu-mobile" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27475316:29
ubottuLaunchpad bug 274781 in grub-installer "Please add support for the lpia architecture" [Critical,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27478116:29
ubottuLaunchpad bug 274785 in ubiquity "Ubiquity should select grub as the boot loader for lpia" [Medium,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27478516:30
loolSo that last list is scary, it's many small things16:30
loolQuestions?16:30
cjwatsonthere's a problem with getting the mobile seeds honoured by germinate on drescher (which may feed into something above, not sure)16:30
slangasekyou said "targetting at intrepid"; are all of these beta things, and which ones are critical?16:30
cjwatsonwe got the initial trivial patch sorted out, but the task names are all wrong16:30
cjwatsonlool: are you planning to use the tasks for beta?16:31
loolcjwatson: I know we discussed task headers yesterday16:31
loolcjwatson: In the seeds data?  I think so16:31
cjwatsonbugger, I'd better get that sorted out quickly then16:31
loolcjwatson: One issue was that mid was using task-seeds: desktop-common incorrectly, that I dropped16:31
cjwatsonat the moment the task names will come out as mobile-mobile and mobile-mid16:31
cjwatsonis that OK for you, or would you want them to be just mobile and mid (bearing in mind that that's a tedious code change)?16:32
loolOk16:32
cjwatsonif you can tolerate those task names, we can leave them like that16:32
loolcjwatson: I think the descriptions are clear enough that I wouldn't bug you for the cosmetic of the short name; would be nice to fix them on the long term naturally16:32
cjwatsonpersia sent me patches for 274781 and 274785 today, which should be straightforward to integrate (though I haven't looked at them yet)16:32
cjwatsonok16:32
cjwatsonthat's a relief16:32
cjwatsonwill still need a tasksel update probably16:33
loolOk; I have little clue about that; I'd rather have persia and you sort tasksel out at this point16:33
cjwatsonit's trivial16:33
loolOk; want a bug?16:34
cjwatsonno need16:34
loolTopic closed then, thanks for raising tasks short names16:34
loolAny other Q on the above release updates for mobile?16:34
slangasekyou said "targetting at intrepid"; are all of these beta things, and which ones are critical?16:34
hokmendear ubuntu friends16:34
hokmenI think double AI for data packages at both sides will do bad things.16:34
hokmena example´╝Ü16:35
cjwatsonhokmen: please use a different channel; we're holding a meeting.16:35
hokmenafo send me two links which point to his qq mail box (that is afunction for file downloading in tencent qq mail box)16:35
loolslangasek: The beta critical issue is the last one; the other stuff we would like to have in beta or the soonest basically16:35
hokmenand then i can not download it if it come with the hash() verify code in url.16:35
loolslangasek: We could live with any of the other points staying open, but it would be ugly16:35
hokmenok16:35
slangaseklool: and related to that, do people on your team have the necessary bits to escalate these bugs?  e.g., bug #264048 is 'undecided' importance, which puts it a the bottom of the milestoned bug list16:36
hokmeni think this is a kind of double AI(or say g.f.w) for data packages at both sides. we need to cooperation, not do it by your own selves. sorry for interrapt16:36
ubottuLaunchpad bug 264048 in linux-lpia "aufs hangs on rename() in MID live images" [Undecided,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/26404816:36
cjwatsoncould somebody please +q hokmen16:36
slangasek[ACTION] slangasek to follow up on mobile bug list and ensure appropriate milestones are set16:37
MootBotACTION received:  slangasek to follow up on mobile bug list and ensure appropriate milestones are set16:37
loolslangasek: TBH, we didn't make enough use of bugs severities and milestones, or bugs in general, and are trying to improve; this particular bug is at the top of amitk's list though16:37
loolslangasek: I did milestone this bug today though16:37
slangaseklool: right; the place where milestones/severities help are for letting the rest of team know what to expect in the upload16:38
lool(I hope it's still ok to milestone in beta to try to fix before beta and remilestone for final if we didn't)16:38
slangasek... upload queue :)16:38
slangasekok, let's push ahead16:38
slangasek[TOPIC] Kernel Team16:38
loolslangasek: As the bug number show, we did file a bunch of these very recently, which would also explain they didn't show up in your lists16:38
MootBotNew Topic:  Kernel Team16:38
BenCHey16:39
slangasekhiya16:39
pgranerBenC has been driving the kernel the last few weeks...16:39
pgranerBenC: status?16:39
BenCSo, I was out for a week, and have been catching up for the past week or so...I can only comment on what has been very visible16:39
hokmenwill you pass that message to all BSD teams?16:40
cjwatsonhokmen: please go elsewhere16:40
BenCAs of right now I am concentrating on acpi hotkeys, crashdump and as of today, last-good-boot16:40
BenCthe first two items Are generally fixed, and need some uploads16:40
pittiBenC: any chance of making l-g-b a bit more efficient?16:40
slangasekBenC: there's a hitlist of bugs in the agenda, in case you haven't seen; bug #263555, bug #253904, and bug #26067516:40
BenCThe final item, last-good-boot, I've only recently heard of some issues16:41
ubottuLaunchpad bug 263555 in linux "[intrepid] 2.6.27 e1000e driver places Intel ICH8 and ICH9 gigE chipsets at risk" [Critical,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/26355516:41
ubottuLaunchpad bug 253904 in linux-meta "does not build a lot of metapackages any more" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/25390416:41
ubottuLaunchpad bug 260675 in wacom-tools "[intrepid] Wacom Xorg module is incompatible with the kernel module shipped in kernel packages." [Undecided,Invalid] https://launchpad.net/bugs/26067516:41
BenCe1000e is being removed16:41
rtgI've been working on bug #26355516:41
BenClinux-meta doesn't need to build a lot of meta packages16:41
hokmenthings is going good16:41
pittibut we still need all of them for upgrades, at least until 10.04 (next LTS)16:41
BenClinux-ports-meta will be filling the void on that one, and smb is preparing an upload16:41
dendrobatespgraner:  BenC: 2.6.27 is currently crashing in EC2.  We have a fix that zul is testing today.16:41
BenCpitti: ^^16:41
pittiHobbsee: are you channel admin? can you please ban hokmen?16:42
pittiBenC: ah, thanks16:42
pgranerdendrobates: bug number?16:42
cjwatsonpitti: (he left)16:42
pittiBenC: which one will build the ones for the dropped flavours?16:42
BenCpitti: linux-ports-meta16:42
dendrobateswe don't have one yet, but will in a few minutes.16:42
pittiBenC: nice to see that resolved, thanks16:43
pgranerdendrobates: great16:43
BenCpitti: if there are other flavours we need to fill the void for, we'll get those too16:43
BenCpitti: things like -xen, -rt and -openvz don't have an upgrade path16:43
BenCpitti: but we never guaranteed one16:43
slangasekrtg: what are the prospects of having a better fix for 263555 for beta than 'remove the driver'?  That option leaves a lot of laptop users without ethernet, I think16:43
rtgInvestigation into the e1000e flash corruption is still ongoing by the kernel dev community. Its a very high profile issue on LKML right now.16:44
rtgI believe it has existed since at least Gutsy. I remember a patch that allowed e1000 to load despite checksum failures.16:44
rtgIn the meantime I've disabled it in the Intrepid kernel. No resolution in sight.16:44
BenCslangasek: e1000 picks up those PCI id's16:44
pittiBenC: so those folks will just stay with the hardy kernel then?16:44
BenCpitti: right16:44
rtgBenC: I'm coming to the conclusion that it might not be a driver issue.16:44
slangasekthere are -rt kernel packages in intrepid, as well as a linux-meta-rt, so I think that one's resolved anyway16:45
sbeattiertg: bug 60388 is the e1000 invalid checksum bug16:45
ubottuLaunchpad bug 60388 in linux "e1000  EEPROM Checksum validity check should be disabled" [High,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/6038816:45
rtgsbeattie: thats the one. I did it for Jane and Mark16:45
slangasekBenC: ah, so is that change in place already to have e1000 take over these PCI IDs?16:45
slangasekif so, we can probably un-milestone the bug?16:45
rtgslangasek, BenC: its not the solution16:46
BenCslangasek: I'll let rtg comment on this since he's been tracking the whole situation...16:46
rtgReverting to the e1000 driver isn't going to fix the root cause. No bosy is really sure what it is yet.16:47
slangasekok16:47
rtgHopefully we'll find it soon.16:47
rtgIntel is putting a lot of resource into it.16:48
rtgthats all from me.16:48
slangasekok, then I think that bug is where it needs to be right now16:48
slangasekthanks, guys16:48
slangasek[TOPIC] Foundations Team16:48
MootBotNew Topic:  Foundations Team16:48
sbeattieslangasek: one other thing, QA talked internally about escalating issues like e1000e earlier to release team/manager; we think this specific issue got overshadowed by 2.6.26->2.6.2716:49
cjwatsonMilestoned bugs:16:49
cjwatson256054: taken to ubuntu-devel for discussion; ifupdown plugin available for testing; alternatives are to write a simple plugin to make all interfaces unmanaged, or to have an "nm-managed" option in interfaces t16:49
cjwatsonhat ifupdown is taught to understand16:49
cjwatson226139: sorry, don't have status on this, though I see that there's a patch available upstream16:49
cjwatson182004: I'm working hard on this, hope to be finished today16:49
cjwatsonTargeted bugs:16:49
cjwatson247376: still blocked on upstream, but 274303 will at least give us a workaround for upgrades (see pitti's update)16:49
cjwatson185311: no progress since last time, not optimistic16:49
cjwatson267884: no progress since last time, but should be tractable16:49
cjwatson272772: big transition bug including OOo, have pointed it out to calc16:49
cjwatson180309: don't have status on this16:49
cjwatson261543: I've got feedback from Scott, in progress16:49
cjwatson272318: recurrence of previous issue, no progress yet though16:49
cjwatson273271: new UI bug, should be easy, may squeeze this in for beta16:49
cjwatson267682: some progress, not entirely fixed yet though (FDI addition broke detect-screens; HAL issue? needs yet more analysis)16:49
cjwatson270423: not sure what's happening here, but post-beta16:49
cjwatsonMisc issues/features:16:49
cjwatsonOOo 3.0 due in PPA today, perhaps universe for intrepid but not main16:49
cjwatsonOpenJDK compiler currently targeting 1.6 by default which breaks older VMs (e.g. Blackdown); doko is gathering information on what targeting 1.4 instead would lose us16:49
cjwatsonbryce has been working on merging updated acpi-support quirks from Debian and will be continuing with this, with a view to knowing more about the work required to bin it for jaunty16:49
cjwatsonexpecting a new code drop for BBC content in totem, now that the production server is available and some new video formats need to be enabled; would like to upload this pre-beta if possible, if it's in time16:50
cjwatsonnot quite finished enabling mobile seed germination in LP; still needs another code change there :-(16:50
cjwatsonactually, you can ignore that last line, I prepared this before the mobile update16:50
slangaseksbeattie: yes, I agree that should've been escalated much earlier16:50
cjwatsonno questions, or is everyone still digesting? :)16:52
pitticjwatson: 267672> I vaguely understood it as that -evdev now grabs the keys and sends them as events to X16:53
pittias opposed to acpi-support/hal grabbing the keys and running their usual scripts16:53
mdzcjwatson: digesting16:54
pittibut ICBW, I have no firm idea how this actually works16:54
mdzcjwatson: I haven't looked at it in detail, but "experimental plugin" as a solution for 256054 makes me vaguely nervous16:54
slangasekcjwatson: been digesting :)16:54
cjwatsonpitti: the more recent updates to that bug indicate that a hal fdi script helped many of the problems (although regressed one), so something is clearly going through hal16:54
cjwatsonmdz: personally, I'm somewhat open to the "leave it alone" solution as well16:55
mdzcjwatson: isn't it a regression from 8.04?16:55
pitticjwatson: I think it's *supposed* to go trough hal, and with the new -evdev it wasn't any more16:55
mdzpitti: I don't fully understand what's going on in bug 26768216:56
ubottuLaunchpad bug 267682 in linux "Hotkeys no longer working in Intrepid on Thinkpads" [Critical,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/26768216:56
pittimdz: I think nobody really does :(16:56
cjwatsonI think it probably is a regression, but people using both /etc/network/interfaces (non-trivially) and network-manager have had to deal with all sorts of crap :-/16:56
cjwatsona new plugin is no more invasive that n-m 0.7 is to start with, I feel ...16:56
mdzpitti: would it help to have someone figure out how it was working in 8.04?16:56
mdzsince there seem to be multiple paths which handle those events16:57
pittimdz: yes, absolutely16:57
pittiyeah, at least hal+hal-info and acpi-support are doing basically the same thing slightly differently16:57
pittiand now -evdev grabs them as well, which doesn't make things easier16:57
mdzpitti: what does the fdi file actually do?16:57
pittimdz: it basically tells -evdev to ignore the spethial keys16:57
pittiso that hal and acpid grab them again16:58
mdzpitti: should we open a separate bug about the brightness keys?  that seems like it may be a different issue16:58
pittiand thus run the acpi-support scripts / the hal addons16:58
slangasekpitti: acpid was always grabbing them...16:58
mdzslangasek: indeed16:58
pittislangasek: yeah, whichever hal/acpid got it first, I suppose16:58
pittibut nice to see that everyone seems to have a different piece of the puzzle16:59
slangasekI don't know how hal grabs them, but it appears to /not/ be through the /proc/acpi/events interface or the acpid socket16:59
pittiI purged acpid and acpi-support, and things still work the same as before; that's when hal/hal-info take over and do what we do with acpi-support16:59
mdzin the longer term, should we be aiming to get rid of acpid entirely?17:00
pittimdz: ++17:00
pittiand acpi-support as well17:00
cjwatsonas I said, bryce's studies of acpi-support are aimed at having enough knowledge to get rid of it in jaunty17:00
pittiI think the right thing to do is to convert our remaining delta in acpi-support to hal-fdi scripts and submit that upstream, and forget about that Ubuntuism17:00
mdzslangasek: hal *should* be getting them via the acpid socket if acpid is running17:00
cjwatsonwe just need to do it at the start of the cycle rather than vacillating for a few months17:00
mdzpitti: ok, agreed17:00
cjwatsonwhich involves somebody who cares at the start of the cycle17:01
mdzbut that's probably not feasible for intrepid17:01
pittimdz: no, too much regression potential17:01
mdzpitti: I have a thinkpad running 8.04 where all of the hotkeys work, I'll look at that over the weekend17:01
mdzI'll take an action for that17:01
zulls17:01
slangasekmdz: one thing I've observed is that if I stop acpid while hal is running, hald-addon-acpi doesn't reconnect to /proc/acpi/event, but the hotkeys still work17:01
mdzslangasek: *boggle*17:02
slangasek[ACTION] mdz to look into how hotkeys worked in 8.04 (bug #267682)17:02
MootBotACTION received:  mdz to look into how hotkeys worked in 8.04 (bug #267682)17:02
ubottuLaunchpad bug 267682 in linux "Hotkeys no longer working in Intrepid on Thinkpads" [Critical,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/26768217:02
pittislangasek: *all* of them? my computer has brightness hardwired, for example17:02
mdzit's not the same thinkpad where I'm experiencing 267682, but hopefully it will  shed some light17:02
pittislangasek: but yeah, that stuns me as well17:03
slangasekpitti: all of the ones reported to work in my last comment on the bug17:03
cjwatsonwe're at 14 minutes on my slot now ...17:03
pittislangasek: -evdev -> gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-pwoer-manager then perhaps?17:03
pittislangasek: or did you have Timo's fdi in place as well?17:03
slangasekpitti: this is specifically with Timo's fdi in place17:03
pittiboggle17:03
slangasekanyway, let's continue this seemingly-endless discussion on #ubuntu-devel :/17:04
slangasek[TOPIC] Server Team17:04
MootBotNew Topic:  Server Team17:04
slangasekdendrobates: hi17:05
dendrobatesHI17:05
dendrobatesWe have no critical bugs at this point, but we are still triaging some of the kvm bugs.17:05
dendrobatesone possible upload though,17:06
dendrobateswe are waiting to hear back fomr amazon about opensourcing some scrpits used with ec217:06
dendrobateswe have already integrated these scripts into vmbuilder, but have not uploaded that version.17:07
dendrobateswe are expecting to hear by the beginning of bext week.17:07
dendrobatesand we have a bug for the ec2 kernel issue, 27484917:08
slangasekvmbuilder> ok; that sounds like it will probably slip until post-beta then?17:08
slangasek(i.e., release team probably won't accept it into the archive for beta that late)17:08
mdzdendrobates: are there any important changes in vmbuilder which are blocked by the licensing issue?17:08
pittidendrobates: is the krb5-kdc -> main issue critical for beta?17:08
mdzdendrobates: I thought you asked amazon about those scripts weeks ago17:09
dendrobatesmdz the ability to directly use AMI.17:09
mdzbug 27484917:09
ubottuLaunchpad bug 274849 in linux "2.6.27 (xen paravirt ops) crashes on ec2." [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/27484917:09
dendrobatesmdz:  we did, but they are a large company, the developer has agreed, but needs approval.17:09
dendrobateswe have a potential fix for 274849: http://people.ubuntu.com/~chucks/kernel-xen.diff17:10
dendrobatesthey told us they could tell us by next week.17:10
dendrobateswe can still build and  ec2 images if they do not opensource it, but we cannot integrate the deployment functionality into vmbuilder.17:11
dendrobatespitti: I don't think it is critical to beta17:12
slangasekpatch for 274849> not mentioned in the bug itself?17:12
pittidendrobates: *nod* (it's also fairly new)17:13
dendrobatesslangasek: it;s all very new, updating now.17:13
mdzdendrobates: is it impossible to do without their scripts, or would we just need to reimplement some of them?17:14
dendrobatesmdz we might need to make it a two stage process, where either a webapp helps you deploy, or we perhaps another app in muti-verse that deploys.17:16
dendrobatesmdz: chuck soren and I are working through the possibilities.17:16
dendrobatesbut we really hope amazone says yes.17:16
cjwatson[server slot at 13 minutes]17:17
slangasekyes, there doesn't seem to be much more we can do about EC2 here in the meeting17:17
slangasek[TOPIC] MOTU17:18
MootBotNew Topic:  MOTU17:18
slangasekScottK doesn't appear to be about today; is there anyone else who can speak on behalf of motu-release?17:18
cjwatsonHobbsee perhaps?17:19
slangasekHobbsee isn't on motu-release this cycle17:19
cjwatsonah17:19
slangaseknone of the others are here either; I'll take that as a "everything's going great" and move along :)17:19
slangasek[TOPIC] General feature update17:20
MootBotNew Topic:  General feature update17:20
slangasekthis should be a null topic because we're all working on bugfixes right now instead of features, but just in case, does anyone have anything to discuss here? :)17:20
slangasek[TOPIC] Known regressions17:21
MootBotNew Topic:  Known regressions17:21
mdz[LINK] http://people.ubuntu.com/~sbeattie/regression_tracker.html17:21
MootBotLINK received:  http://people.ubuntu.com/~sbeattie/regression_tracker.html17:21
cjwatsonoh, that's nice17:22
slangasekyes, it is17:22
slangasekexcept the count is too high, hmm :)17:22
bdmurraywe've had some possibly overzealous tagging17:23
slangasekis the QA team reviewing these tags for correctness?17:23
mdzsbeattie: ^^17:23
mdzthe ones I've seen get tagged are reasonably accurate17:24
slangasekcan the tagging policy require that the facts of the regression are documented in the bug log itself?17:24
bdmurrayslangasek: it does17:24
cjwatson92014 is an ... interesting suggestion for "regression"17:24
mdzslangasek: ++17:24
sbeattieyes, been reviewing a bit.17:24
slangasekbdmurray: ah; then I should consider myself at liberty to remove the tag from any where this is not the case?17:24
sbeattieslangasek: agreed, we'll add that to the documentation.17:25
sbeattieslangasek: yes17:25
slangasek(e.g., the n-m bug discussed earlier)17:25
cjwatsonwhere's the documentation for the tag semantics? could it be linked from the tracker?17:25
cjwatson(something a little more extensive than the one-liners, if any)17:25
slangasekok; that page gives us something to digest off-line17:25
sbeattiecjwatson: it needs fleshing out but https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/RegressionTracking is it.17:26
slangasekwhich I'll definitely have to do17:26
cjwatsonsbeattie: thanks17:26
mdzwhile we have everyone's eyes on it...does that page render very slowly in firefox for anyone else?17:26
cjwatsonno17:27
slangasekit scrolls slowly for me17:27
mdzscrolls very slowly for me17:27
pittiit starts scrolling slowly halfway down17:27
pittiinitial rendering is fasat17:27
mdzok, thanks, don't want to interrupt the flow of the meeting17:28
slangasek[TOPIC] hardware testing17:28
MootBotNew Topic:  hardware testing17:28
slangasekheno and cr3 aren't here to give us an update, but I've discussed hardware certification with them earlier this week17:28
mdzI received a report from Henrik a little while ago17:28
mdzit's a bit difficult to interpret though, I think it still needs work17:28
slangasekhardware cert is ongoing and results seem to be good, but the website lacks a summary view17:29
sbeattieyes, reporting needs work.17:29
slangasekI've asked them (and David Murphy) for a summary that will show which tests are failing, which hardware has test failures, and which hardware (if any) hasn't been tested recently17:30
sbeattiecr3 and schwuk are open to suggestions on what/how to report17:30
mdzslangasek: I've forwarded you what I have in case you didn't already have it17:30
slangasekmdz: ok, thanks17:30
slangasek[TOPIC] ISO size17:30
MootBotNew Topic:  ISO size17:30
sbeattieslangasek: I think it'd be useful to have an overview of what's being tested (successfully) as well.17:30
slangasekdesktop CDs are oversized again; we got several days'-worth of changes in a batch due to some livefs build issues, and now we're at 711MB for both archs17:31
mdzsbeattie: yes, it should be a simple red/yellow/green for every system17:31
cjwatsonhas anyone done a diff against 20080923?17:32
slangasekI have the diff of newly-added packages - looks like landscape-common, libcanberra-gnome, and bluez-{input,network,serial} are the new top-level additions, so I'll be chasing these up today to find out who's to blame for eating up all the space (there are a /lot/ of libs pulled in)17:32
cjwatson(build logs should still be around, at least)17:32
cjwatsonok17:32
slangasekso in the meantime, everybody just keep thinking thin :-)17:33
pittislangasek: for the record, it's not langpacks; they haven't changed since sept 6, due to the export crashing for some dubious reason17:33
slangasekpitti: noted :)17:33
pittibluez-* are in fact new, but were split-outs from hardy17:33
slangasek[TOPIC] AOB17:33
MootBotNew Topic:  AOB17:33
slangasekand that's all I have - anything else?17:33
mdzslangasek: well done finishing up on time17:34
Riddellslangasek: KDE 4.1.217:34
Riddellwe have tars now, we could upload this weekend probably17:34
Riddellor wait until after beta if preferred17:34
slangasekbetter before beta than after17:34
mvois there a chance for the feature freeze exception for compiz 0.7.8 to be considered before beta?17:35
slangasekmvo: yes; let's discuss that separately17:35
mvook, thanks17:35
Riddellslangasek: I'll get the kubuntu packaging ninjas onto it17:35
slangaseksounds like we're done, then17:35
slangasek#endmeeting17:35
MootBotMeeting finished at 11:35.17:35
slangasekthanks, folks17:36
dendrobatesbyeee17:36
pittithanks everyone17:36
=== ubottu changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Calendar: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/event | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/ | 29 Sep 04:00: Arizona LoCo IRC | 30 Sep 15:00: Server Team | 30 Sep 19:00: LoCo Council | 01 Oct 17:00: QA Team | 01 Oct 22:00: Platform Team | 02 Oct 00:30: ubuntu-pa LoCo Team
=== calc_ is now known as calc
=== calc is now known as calc_
=== calc_ is now known as calc
=== nizarus_ is now known as nizarus

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!