=== macd_ is now known as macd
slangasekphilsf: it's a question of the behavior when turning on filesharing for the first time, when packages get auto-installed for you00:05
slangasekso a proper test should involve removing the libpam-smbpass package (I think that's the only one)00:05
philsfslangasek: I did it, and couldn't reproduce the bug with a guest allowed share00:06
slangaseksec, let me review the bug00:06
philsfI did purge samba-common and all of its rdepends and logged out to make sure I had a fresh environment, but the shares are in fact created after the installation of samba and libpam-smbpass, and they work without a logout/login cycle. I tried this more than once, in two boxes, both with Hardy.00:06
slangasekphilsf: purging samba-common probably doesn't remove you from the sambashare group, if you were previously added to it :)00:07
cjwatsonNCommander: what's up?00:07
philsfslangasek: that's probably it, but why isn't the group removed?00:08
slangasekphilsf: the second part of the behavior only applies to non-guest shares00:08
slangasekphilsf: because removing guests is wrong, generally00:08
philsfremoving guests? or groups?00:08
NCommandercjwatson, any idea what voodoo will be needed to fix the current d-i/ARM builds?00:09
cjwatsonNCommander: nothing, wait for the current kernel upload to build?00:09
cjwatsonI already spoke with rtg about it and it looks like he took that into account00:10
philsfslangasek: you were right about the group, the package in -proposed works for me. I'm confirming the bug as soon as I test in the second machine00:25
slangasekgreat, thanks!00:25
philsfno, thank you. bye00:25
superm1tkamppeter_, i was wondering.  is there a particular reason that  "Show printers shared by other systems" isn't enabled by default in the gnome printer tool?03:45
=== hyperair1 is now known as hyperair
=== hyperair1 is now known as hyperair
=== hyperair1 is now known as hyperair
dholbachgood morning06:09
LaserJockhi dholbach06:11
dholbachhi LaserJock, hi warp1006:11
warp10morning dholbach!06:12
dholbachcody-somerville: what do you think about bug 311571?06:18
ubottuLaunchpad bug 311571 in gnumeric "gnumeric-doc should be a depends for gnumeric in Xubuntu" [Low,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/31157106:18
LaserJockI've been somewhat annoyed by that one in the past06:18
LaserJockseems kind of odd to have ${Upstream-Version} on Conflicts06:24
pittiGood morning07:39
=== tkamppeter_ is now known as tkamppeter
tkamppetersuperm1, "Show printers shared by other systems" isn't enabled in s-c-p because it is not enabled in CUPS. pitti, why do we not enable to accept broadcasted CUPS queues from other machines by default in CUPS?07:49
pittisuperm1: hard to say really, it's full of comments about 18007:51
pittisuperm1: I don't have a problem with letting 180 move to -updates, since it's completely new07:51
pittisuperm1: but so far I didn't see a clear statement that the new 178 works07:51
pittitkamppeter: we discussed that in the past, and the prerequisite for that is to change KDE and GNOME to clearly tell apart automatically detected from manually configured printers in the print dialogs, so that you can't lure someone into using a bad printer (or at least it's more obvious)07:52
tkamppeterpitti, are bugs reported to KDE and GNOME?07:53
pittitkamppeter: not sure, I don't think I filed them07:54
tkamppetersuperm1, ^^^07:54
tkamppeterpitti, can you do so, otherwise the developers of the dialogs are not aware of the problem. You must report to GTK and Qt, as they provide the currently used dialogs.07:55
tkamppeterpitti, thanks.08:07
mdkedholbach: thanks for your comment on bug 126988, but I don't understand why that is happening. Revisions 735 to 737 introduce quite substantial changes, and Launchpad shows me them in the web interface. Are you sure you have the right branch?08:14
ubottuLaunchpad bug 126988 in gnome-user-docs "Incorrect text to add logout (exit) button" [Low,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/12698808:14
mdkedholbach: from the diff you've posted, it doesn't look like the package even has the right version number, I bumped it to 2.24.1+svn20090109ubuntu1 in revision 73608:15
dholbachmdke: my mistake - sorry08:16
mdkedholbach: ok! No worries08:17
mdkedholbach: happy 2009 by the way08:17
dholbachmdke: and the same to you :)08:18
dholbachmdke: uploading08:29
dholbach... which might take a bit of time :)08:29
mdkedholbach: great, thanks08:30
=== thekorn_ is now known as thekorn
=== asac_ is now known as asac
=== seb128_ is now known as seb128
=== foka__ is now known as foka
rniamohow could i do to redirect a pipe in a socket in both writing and reading ?10:53
Keybuka pipe is one-way only10:53
Keybukwhatever you write to it comes out the reading end10:54
Keybukit's not possible to read and write from the same end10:54
Keybukif you want to do that, you need a socket10:54
rniamoin fact i want to do a command like this : cmd1 | cmd2 but cmd1 and cmd2 on two diffrent PC10:54
Keybukcmd1 | ssh otherhost cmd2 ?10:55
rniamoin fact i have to write a bash-lite10:55
rniamoso i can't use ssh10:55
cjwatson"have to write"?10:55
rniamomy problem is i don't know how to read on the server from the client10:55
Mithrandiryou're not really explaining what your are trying to do, and I believe what you are trying to do has little to do with Ubuntu development.10:55
cjwatsonthis is sounding a bit like a homework question ...10:56
rniamounix homework10:56
cjwatsondon't ask those here, please. This is a working channel.10:56
Keybukrmcbride: http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/ipc/usock.html10:56
rniamowhere could i ask it please ?10:56
jpdsrniamo: Try: ##linux.10:56
cjwatsonrniamo: that really isn't our problem; ask your teacher if you need help10:56
cjwatsonwe're not here to help people pass their CS homework10:57
Keybuk(most of us never passed *our* CS homework) :p10:57
MithrandirKeybuk: we didn't?10:57
StevenKSpeak for yourself10:57
StevenKI know I did10:57
directhexi passed the fun bits10:57
rniamoi just want some help, sorry if it is the bad chan10:57
StevenKSockets programming isn't exactly fun, but it is interesting10:57
mok0rniamo: check out netcat10:57
KeybukStevenK: I find it fun10:58
mok0rniamo: it does something similar10:58
rniamonetcat ?10:58
mok0rniamo: yes. Ask Mr. Google10:58
StevenKKeybuk: You wrote a replacement for init, this makes you a masochist.10:58
rniamomy problem is that socket are ok, pipe are ok but not both together10:59
* directhex ports init to ironpython10:59
KeybukStevenK: I prefer other people to inflict the pain ;)10:59
StevenKcjwatson: Did you follow the jaunty-unr discussion at UDS?10:59
mok0rniamo: right. netcat communicates via sockets10:59
rniamomy problem is here http://paste.linuxassist.net/16991011:00
rniamoi would like to add a close(0); dup(cbCmd->sock);11:00
StevenKcjwatson: Essentially, -umpc goes away, and -netbook-remix turns up. I have a uncommited branch in the mobile seeds for this, but it also requires the task name to change, which I recall you saying needs tasksel changes. I looked at tasksel, and I ran away screaming ...11:00
StevenKcjwatson: Also, I'd like you to sanity check my commit, because I'd like to grow a ship seed, but the one that is in ubuntu.jaunty is perfectly fine.11:02
Keybukrandom sleep statements in cron.daily makes Keybuk unhappy11:02
cjwatsonStevenK: unr> no, I didn't11:22
cjwatsonStevenK: where's your branch?11:22
StevenKcjwatson: I'm pushing it to a seperate location right now.11:22
cjwatsonStevenK: tasksel updates are trivial as long as you realise that almost all of the interesting stuff for us is autogenerated by ubuntu-seeds.pl11:22
cjwatsonand that you *must* *not* *touch* ubuntu-tasks/ by hand11:22
StevenKcjwatson: Yeah, I looked at ubuntu-seeds.pl source and then decided the best step would be to talk to you. :-)11:23
StevenKcjwatson: My branch is at sftp://chinstrap/home/stevenk/mobile.jaunty11:28
ccmpitti: ping11:33
ccmcan somebody besides pitti tell, why i cannot find a debug package for "mairix"?11:35
Keybukjust applying the "no legacy ptys" change to the kernel config reduces the average pid by ~100011:36
Keybuknot surprising, but shows just how much we did just for them11:36
cjwatsonccm: http://ddebs.ubuntu.com/pool/universe/m/mairix/11:36
Keybukby ~200011:36
Keybukbecause I forgot, each legacy pty had two kobjects11:36
Keybukwhich means two udev processes per kobject per trigger11:36
Keybukwe trigger twice11:37
ccmcjwatson: thank you. is it normal that i cannot install this directly via aptitude?11:38
cjwatsonccm: you would have to add an appropriate line to sources.list11:40
cjwatsonthat is normal11:40
ccmthought I'd that and the dbg package is not listed in packages.ubuntu.com either, but anyway, i can work with the url11:43
ccmthank you very much11:43
pitticcm: what cjwatson said; see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProgramCrash11:44
pittifor instructions11:44
cjwatsonpackages.ubuntu.com only looks at the main archive11:45
sebnerpitti: hallo mighty pitty \o/, any plans to merge newest debhelper? :)11:45
cjwatsondebug symbol packages are intentionally in a separate archive11:45
pittisebner: by default I'm not chasing any merges any more, unless someone asks me with a good reason :)11:46
sebnerpitti: csharp support for licensecheck \o/ (Asked by me in Debian also) ^^11:46
StevenKpitti: Oh, I wanted your opinion on bug 312659?11:48
ubottuLaunchpad bug 312659 in kfreebsd-5 "Please remove kfreebsd-5 from Jaunty" [Wishlist,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/31265911:48
pitti"Use the bug subscription, Luke!" :-)11:49
seb128pitti: we didn't have retracers running for over a month apparently, do you plan to work on those or should I look at that (I'm busy updating GNOME but I can try to have a look this week)?11:49
pittiStevenK: will look in a minute11:49
pittiseb128: that's on my TODO list this week (get jaunty retracers up and running, and care for the other ones)11:49
pittiseb128: yesterday I fixed the client side apport stuff, now I'm ready to work on the server side11:49
seb128pitti: ok thanks, I will let you do that then, I've lot of catching up to do on GNOME11:50
* seb128 hugs pitti11:50
* pitti hugs the Gnominator11:50
pittisebner: ok, can do11:50
sebnerpitti: \o/. besides I think there are a lot other cool improvements since there are some versions between actual ubuntu and actual debian version11:51
pittiStevenK: looks fine to me11:51
StevenKpitti: Yeah, I think it needs to be shot, too, but wanted to check. As well as wondering if the blacklist can deal with wildcards11:52
pittiStevenK: wildcards> not as far as I know11:53
cjwatsonI would doubt it11:54
StevenKThat's going to be fun to sort out, then.11:55
StevenKI'll remove it and db4.3 tomorrow11:55
pittiStevenK: why? blacklist is source based11:55
StevenKpitti: Exactly. Just depends how much source packages we're talking11:56
pittiso you don't need to care about the bazillion binaries11:56
superm1pitti, well i've got a large variety of hardware (including that machine I brought to UDS) working with 177.82 that i've been using since 177.82 was released.  I was one of the original folks affected by it's original bug reported to NV (The long suspends). I'll add a comment to the bug.12:05
pittisuperm1: thanks; so if you give your ok on the bug, and there aren't any reports about regressions, this is good to go12:10
pitti(sorry if that came through twice, I got disconnected)12:10
superm1pitti, okay great thanks12:10
superm1in the future need to make sure these bugs dont get hijacked by new releases so they are easier to discern and track12:11
pittitkamppeter: I filed cups bug 3052, which is a prerequisite for changing the gtk/qt print dialogs12:13
pittitkamppeter: I just discovered that cups doesn't actually seem to tell locally configured vs. autodetected12:13
pittisebner: sid has 7.0.17, jaunty has 7.0.17ubuntu1 ?12:14
sebnerpitti: ARGH. sry. I mean devscripts. sry sry sry12:15
pittisebner: ah, ok; I just looked at the experimental debhelper, and that seems a bit delicate to merge12:15
sebnerpitti: heh, don't worry. I'm only interested in devscripts from sid :D12:17
pittisebner: that's a rather complicated merge; unless you beat me to it and do it yourself, mind to send me an email about it? I won't do it right now12:17
pittior do you want to prepare and test the merge yourself?12:17
sebnerpitti: I'm afraid that I won't have time besides that's stuff for pros like you :) Just do it anytime you have time and passion for it =)12:18
cjwatsonStevenK: you sure that inheriting from ubuntu.jaunty (rather than platform.jaunty) is a good idea? you've given the live seed different inheritance than it has in ubuntu.jaunty, which is a bit ... interesting12:20
cjwatsonthough I suppose technically feasible12:20
cjwatsonStevenK: have you run this through germinate to look at the result?12:20
cjwatsonStevenK: no netbook-remix-dev?12:21
StevenKmobile-dev is dead12:21
Babypitti: ping! :)12:21
pittiBaby: hello12:21
StevenKcjwatson: We don't need it and decided it was time to kill it at UDS.12:21
StevenKcjwatson: platform.jaunty doesn't have ship.12:22
Babypitti: :)12:22
cjwatsonStevenK: but ubuntu.jaunty's ship inherits from desktop12:22
StevenKcjwatson: I suppose I can drop live from mobile.jaunty's STRUCTURE, and it will sort it out?12:23
cjwatsonStevenK: did you consider whether you would be better off writing your own ship seed?12:23
cjwatsonStevenK: do you want live or ship-live?12:23
cjwatsonI'm not entirely clear on what you actually want, which makes it hard to advise :)12:23
StevenKcjwatson: Oh, right. We want the list of packages that are included as .debs on the Live CDs12:24
cjwatsonthat is NOT ship, it's ship-live12:24
StevenKWhich I think is ship-live12:24
cjwatsonvery important to be clear on the distinction12:24
cjwatsonwhat do you want in the live filesystem?12:24
=== racarr_ is now known as racarr
cjwatsonand do you really want all the stuff that's in ubuntu.jaunty's live and ship-live?12:25
cjwatsonI wouldn't have thought you'd want ndiswrapper or ISDN utilities, for instance12:25
StevenKWell, from this seed base, either mobile-mid or mobile-netbook-remix plus casper and ubiquity12:25
cjwatsonnor that you would necessarily want the same language packs12:25
DktrKranzcould a sponsor for main look at bug 254790? It blocks some dietlibc fixes I'd like to upload.12:26
cjwatsonor even perhaps the same filesystem support12:26
ubottuLaunchpad bug 254790 in binutils "strip segfaults on dietlibc-built executables" [Unknown,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/25479012:26
cjwatsonStevenK: it sounds to me as if you should inherit from platform.jaunty and write your own live and ship-live seeds, just as e.g. Kubuntu does12:26
StevenKcjwatson: I said the same thing in the session, and persia talked about threatning to find a MID form-factor device with ISDN. :-)12:26
cjwatsonotherwise you're going to end up with a bunch of junk you don't want12:26
cjwatsonand you won't easily be able to control it12:27
cjwatsonas soon as you want to control it, you're going to end up writing your own live and ship-live seeds anyway12:27
* StevenK nods12:27
cjwatsonso you might as well start out that way, I think12:27
persiaStevenK, I threatened to show you my CF ISDN card that I used on my Zaurus for connectivity for years, rather.12:27
StevenKYeah, makes sense.12:27
cjwatsonalso, if you need different shipped objects one of which is mobile-mid + live and one of which is mobile-netbook-remix + live, you're going to need two live-a-like seeds (and ship-live-a-like, presumably)12:28
cjwatsonbut you can perhaps worry about that later12:28
StevenKSo fix that, commit that, fiddle with mobile-meta and upload it, and then prod you to fix tasksel?12:28
StevenKpersia: Woot, two technologies I hate in the same device, Compact Flash and ISDN.12:28
cjwatsonthis is because a seed can only be germinated against a single set of ancestor seeds, and if you germinate live to inherit from netbook-remix and then try to use it with mid, you may well end up with missing dependencies12:29
cjwatsonStevenK: yes. Note also that your branch doesn't seem to be up to date with current mobile.jaunty12:29
cjwatsonso you'll need to merge into mobile.jaunty rather than just pushing over the top12:30
StevenKcjwatson: It isn't, on purpose12:30
cjwatsonwell that's a bug :)12:30
cjwatsondon't lose history even if you want to revert it12:30
StevenKcjwatson: Oh, it's from the same base, so it's under control12:30
cjwatsonfix the things I mentioned and push again, then I can have another look?12:31
StevenKHm. I unbound, commited and push. Now what do I do ...12:31
cjwatsoncommit and push again?12:31
cjwatson(what are you trying to do?)12:31
StevenKTrying to figure out how to resurrect {,ship-}live12:32
cjwatson'vi live'12:32
cjwatsonor are you trying to make it have the same file-id as the corresponding files in ubuntu.jaunty so that you can merge? that may not be necessary12:33
StevenKI'm trying to get the old files back12:33
cjwatsonwhat old files?12:33
cjwatsonin what branch?12:33
cjwatsonthe live and ship-live seeds haven't been in mobile.jaunty since r131012:34
StevenK{,ship}live used to exist in mobile.{intrepid,jaunty}12:34
StevenKYup, those are what I'm trying to resurrect, since they probably have most of the right content12:35
cjwatsonso, firstly, you *could* just re-add them afresh; essentially the only thing that will break is merges from ubuntu.jaunty, which are not that important anyway12:35
cjwatsonhowever, it is *slightly* more elegant to have them share a file-id I suppose12:35
persiabzr revert ship --revision 1310 ?12:35
persiaErr.  --revision=131012:35
StevenKAh, that would be the magic12:36
cjwatsonoh, that works, I was going to suggest get -r1309 and add --file-ids-from12:37
cjwatsonbut persia's approach is shorter12:37
cjwatsonalso, -r1309 not 1310 (1310 is the revision that removed them)12:37
persiaOh, right.12:37
persiaAlso probably want to use the correct filenames.12:37
StevenKYeah, I remembered that, and s/10/09/ before running12:37
StevenKI did that too12:37
* StevenK waits for bzr push12:38
StevenKcjwatson: Pushed12:38
StevenKcjwatson: I didn't change what live inherients from, since I'm still unsure about that bit.12:39
tkamppeterpitti, CUPS is already capable of telling whether a queue is locally defined or picked up from a broadcast. CUPS queues have a CUPS_PRINTER_DISCOVERED bit set then. See /usr/include/cups/cups.h, enumeration cups_ptype_e.12:52
Keybukcjwatson: udev has the same need12:54
Keybukwe load modules, but want to silently succeed as cheaply as possible if the module is a built-in12:54
cjwatsonapw: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/hw-detect/ubuntu/revision/104, http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/mdcfg/ubuntu/revision/1072, and http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/partman-md/ubuntu/revision/909 are all bodges around this same problem12:54
cjwatsonapw: the second and third are sane enough actually, but the first is a good illustration of the difficulty12:54
cjwatson(the second and third were patches for real installer bugs TBH; it was using has-the-module-been-loaded-yet as a key for rather too much initialisation code)12:55
apwok so why can't we just modprobe, ignore the result12:55
apwand then try and use the functionality and blow up then if its not there?12:55
cjwatsonthe installer tries to support a variety of kernels fairly cleanly, partly because of custom kernels (people do in fact do that quite a bit) and partly because the kernel keeps changing under us :)12:56
cjwatsonand it's much better to be able to report "this facility is unavailable" rather than "thingummyflop blew up with ENOSYS"12:56
cjwatson(or EINVAL more likely I guess)12:56
apwright, but is not the test in #3 there actualy a 'do we have the function'12:56
apwthat should be after an ignored modprobe12:57
cjwatsonprobably best look at #1 instead12:57
cjwatsonthe module_probe function there is a wrapper for something that tries to load the module and otherwise fails with a red-screen12:57
Keybukthe difficult bit is telling the difference between "module is built-in" and "module is missing"12:57
cjwatsonand the bodge is that I've had to incorporate a check for whether the function is present12:57
apwright, you've done what i am saying12:58
cjwatsonwhich is, frankly, a pig to do sometimes; it's not easily possible for dm-round-robin without actually setting up a hardware round-robin multipath, for instance12:58
apwjust i think you should probe the modules as well12:58
apwand ignore any failure12:58
apwso it works either way12:58
cjwatsonI think that would be a straightforward regression in the installer's ability to report errors12:58
cjwatsonit would fall over much later with a much more obscure error12:58
apwnot if you do it like12:59
apwif ! dmsetup version; then12:59
apw  modprobe foo || true12:59
apw if ! dmsetup_version; then12:59
apw    ERROR12:59
cjwatsonso how do I do that for dm-round-robin please? :)12:59
cjwatson(I did look, quite hard)13:00
apwwell there is an issue13:00
apwdo you always know the kernel before hand?13:00
cjwatsonand honestly, all this having to putz about with dmsetup is really clumsy13:00
Keybukdoesn't that defeat the object of building in in the first place13:00
cjwatsonthat code used to be 'module_probe dm-mod'13:00
cjwatsonquick and easy13:00
Keybukif it's more expensive to determine whether something is built-in than to load it as a module ?13:00
cjwatsonright, I definitely want something as lightweight as possible13:00
apwso does the installer CD know the kernel its built with?13:01
apwcould we extract the information out of the kernel as we build the CD?13:01
cjwatsonthe installer CD might, but I'm not going to hardcode that knowledge into installer scripts!13:01
apwso you _know_13:01
cjwatsonsome of this code is run in contexts where that is not helpful13:01
apwstupid kernel13:01
cjwatsonit would be *much* *MUCH* better for it to detect; Keybuk's proposed modprobe option is *exactly* what I'm looking for13:02
apwbut modprobe simply cannot know13:02
apwas things stand, either its =y or =n, but i don't know which13:02
cjwatsonisn't the presence of the driver exposed in /sys?13:02
cjwatsonalso, BTW, it's not a matter of what the installer CD is built with; the installer loads udebs containing kernel modules into memory at runtime13:03
apwthat is true of some modules, but like crypto, does that appear as a driver?13:03
cjwatsonthe modular ones do13:03
cjwatsonthe non-modular ones *currently* don't13:03
cjwatsonbut we could just go back to building them as modules until that knowledge is available13:04
cjwatsonthough we'd still have the dm problem13:04
apwwell you may have a case to back those out if we cant get a sensible fix before JJ releases13:05
apwone of the good things is that you have blown up now, before it set in stone13:05
Keybukcjwatson: the presence of a driver is exposed13:05
Keybuknot the presence of a module13:05
Keybukyou don't pass driver names to modprobe13:05
Keybukyou pass module names13:05
cjwatsonapw: indeed13:05
apwmodule aliases may help here to convert back13:06
cjwatsonKeybuk: I don't see e.g. dm-mod exposed anywhere in /sys13:06
Keybukright, it wouldn't be13:06
Keybukit's a subsystem13:06
apwwe do build in the config, into the kernel right?13:09
apwso we can get it out in theory13:10
cjwatsonare you thinking of CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC?13:11
apwafter boot, so we can reconstruct /boot/config-*13:11
apwwe have half of that turned on13:11
apwthe half that keeps the stuff in the on disk binary image of the kernel13:11
apwi believe13:11
cjwatsonI would echo Keybuk's comment that grepping a text file (kernel-generated or otherwise) for this is going to be slow13:11
KeybukI have an amusing idea ;)13:11
Keybukyou could auto-generate a modprobe.d blacklist file13:12
cjwatsonyou could have /sys/config/FEATURE13:12
cjwatsonpresent or absent13:12
apwcjwatson, the code you have there is running a depmod -a13:12
apwso any single additional grep is free by comparison13:12
Keybukapw: who would own the list of config -> module name mappings?13:12
cjwatsonthat's only because it might have just loaded modules. The same consideration does not apply during boot13:13
cjwatsoner by loaded modules I mean installed some udebs containing modules13:13
cjwatsonthat is also not the case in every installer context in question13:13
apwKeybuk, i wonder if that is expressed in the kernel13:15
Keybukapw: it would have to be13:15
Keybukmaintaining a kernel config (kernel maintained) to module name (kernel maintained) mapping outside the kernel is not exactly a plan made of awesome13:16
Keybukfrom the modprobe pov. we simply need a list of module names that we can silently succeed because they have been built-in13:17
cjwatsonyeah, I'm not keen on having to name the feature in installer code either13:17
cjwatsonfrom my POV the config feature name is a kernel implementation detail that might change at any time; the module names are at least a little more persistent than that13:18
apwand none of it is obvious in the source13:18
Keybukimplementing the "succeed silently" in modprobe is easy13:19
Keybukwe just make the module name an empty alias13:19
apwthe hard part is getting that list13:19
cjwatsoncould that be exported via depmod then13:19
Keybukso modprobe dm-mod would be equilent to just modprobe ""13:19
Keybukcjwatson: yeah, I'd append it to modules.alias13:19
Keybukthe hard part, as apw says, is getting that list13:19
apwwhat if we did a hybrid approach13:20
apwyou tell us which modules you are using and somehow we work out the config13:20
apwoptions they represent13:20
Keybukapw: from a udev point of view, everything ;)13:20
cjwatsonapw: that's really tricky in general, that installer code is dynamic, synced/merged from Debian, etc.13:20
apwperhaps that could be kept with the config info so it would be kept up to date13:21
cjwatsonwhere does the information that goes into modinfo come from?13:21
Keybukcjwatson: the modules themselves13:21
Keybukit's a section in the .ko that depmod reads13:21
cjwatsonKeybuk: right, but I mean where in the kernel source13:21
cjwatsonwhat's the macro that does it13:21
cjwatsonor struct or whatever13:21
apwthe module alaises, are complex13:21
apwthere are some magic programs which mush it about to make them13:21
apwfrom some of the other structures in the kernel13:22
Keybukactually, that's an interesting point, we'd need the modaliases of the modules that are built-in too13:22
apwjust been looking at it for MMC13:22
cjwatsonbut at least it is in the C files and not just in the Makefiles13:22
Keybukotherwise we'd waste a lot of time13:22
cjwatsonwhich means the problem is tractable13:22
apwbut you can't tell from the foo.c what the .ko is called13:22
cjwatsonyou just need to make MODULE_* do something useful for built-in drivers13:22
cjwatsonoh, that is only in Makefile?13:22
Keybukthe name of the module is only in the Makefile13:22
Keybukapw: what happens to MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE for the kernel?13:23
Keybukin fact, can you extract MODULE_* at all for built-ins ?13:23
apwthere is a a script which converts that into specific format MODULE_ALIAS entries13:23
cjwatsonyou'd have to put a section in vmlinuz that's later stripped13:23
cjwatsonI think13:23
apwwhich are then compiled and linked with the .o to make the .ko13:23
Keybukapw: yeah, but where do they go when you link the .o into built-in.o ?13:24
apwhrmm, you mean is there one in vmlinux13:24
apwthat we are not looking at13:24
Keybukthat's what I mean, yes ;)13:24
apwwhen i was looking at depmod (a long time ago) i think it did read and skip vmlinux for most things13:24
apwso it might be in there13:24
cjwatson__MODULE_INFO is an empty macro for built-ins13:25
* apw needs a module which is built in13:25
cjwatsonright now, the information is not in the .o files that get linked into built-in.o13:25
cjwatsonbut it could be if you mucked about with moduleparam.h13:25
apwyeah, so there is no equivalent13:25
apwwell you'd need to modpost vmlinux too13:25
cjwatsonwell, I didn't think it could be done entirely without kernel changes, certainly13:26
Keybukcjwatson: the other problem is the kernel developers got clever with Make13:26
cjwatsonbut I was wondering if there was a relatively lightweight set of changes possible13:26
Keybukso the only difference between a .ko compile and a .o one is just whether some variable is y or m ;)13:26
Keybukobj-y += something.o13:26
Keybukobj-m += something.o13:26
cjwatsonyeah, I know13:26
cjwatsonMODULE is defined for obj-m, though13:26
* Keybuk can't remember where the ko names are defined13:27
apwok lets look at it the other way round13:27
apwwe have a probe point 'module_init'13:27
apwright now when we load one it makes /sysfs/module/<foo>13:27
apwperhaps we could hijack that and have a /sys/build-in/<foo> appear13:28
Keybukcouldn't we just have a /sys/module/<foo> for built-ins?13:28
cjwatsonhm, excuse me, baby needs feeding13:28
KeybukI guess you wouldn't do that actually, because the kobjects would be different13:29
Keybukbut /sys/built-in/<foo> would be nice13:29
Keybukapw: actually, where *are* module names defined?!13:31
* apw is looking at that right now13:31
apwthere is a MODULE define floating about13:31
apwactually the specific line obj-$(CONFIG) += foo.ko13:37
apwdoes give you the mapping from CONFIG_foo to foo.ko13:38
KeybukI don't see that line anywhere?13:38
Keybukit's always13:38
Keybukobj-$(CONFIG) += foo.o13:38
apwobj-$(CONFIG_DM_DELAY)          += dm-delay.o13:38
apwyeah that one13:39
apwand that _is_ the .ko name13:39
Keybukso the ko name is the name of the first object?13:39
apwnot the first object,13:39
apwall objects13:39
apweverything on the right there is a real module13:39
Keybukhow does it deal with multiple .o files for one module?13:39
apwobj-$(CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DM)        += dm-mod.o13:39
Keybukobj-$(CONFIG_HERMES)            += orinoco.o hermes.o hermes_dld.o13:39
apwdm-mod-objs     := dm.o dm-table.o dm-target.o dm-linear.o dm-stripe.o \13:39
apw                   dm-ioctl.o dm-io.o dm-kcopyd.o13:39
apwvia _magic_13:39
Keybukoh, I see what you mean13:40
apwyeah all of yours there are real places13:40
apwKeybuk, it is _possible_ we still have a THIS_MODULE, when we are building in13:44
apwif so we migth be able to magic up soimething in /sys/ for the module names13:44
apwneeds some playing ...13:44
* apw drops to test a kernel13:45
sorenSorry, but I don't see why we can't just grab whatever's in obj-y and put that in the blacklist file as Keybuk suggested (stripping the .o extension, of course).13:51
Keybuksoren: I'd put it in the alias file13:51
sorenRight, or that.13:52
sorenIs the obj-y variable perhaps not global?13:52
* soren hasn't really quite worked out the details of the kernel's makefile magic yet13:52
sorenOh, right, definitely the alias file.13:53
* soren was still thinking in installer context, but of course we want this in the installed system as well and have it work with different versions of the kernel installed.13:55
cjwatsonStevenK: as long as you merge into current mobile.jaunty (should end up with the same output) to preserve history, then I think that's fine14:16
cjwatsonStevenK: I do think you're likely to want to pare down live and ship-live at some point14:16
cjwatsonStevenK: but otherwise go ahead14:16
slytherincould an archive admin please prioritise the sync of plexus-io (bug #312789) from unstable: it's blocking processing of a host of other syncs for maven support14:20
ubottuLaunchpad bug 312789 in ubuntu "Please sync plexus-io 1.0~alpha2-2 (universe) from Debian unstable (main)." [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/31278914:20
cjwatsonslytherin: done14:23
cjwatsonyeesh, enough duplicates? :)14:23
slytherincjwatson: that was due to the bug in requestsync. :-)14:24
slytherincjwatson: thanks.14:24
LaneyWhich release first enabled recommends-by-default? Intrepid or Hardy?14:25
=== ember_ is now known as ember
sorenApparantly, I told the update-grub ucf thing the wrong thing at some point, and now my menu.lst is never updated anymore. How am I supposed to fix this?14:37
sorenI know how I *could*, but how *should* I do it?14:37
ScottKFile a bug and then complain a lot?14:39
sorenNot my style :)14:39
ScottKRight, mine neither, but it seems the most common approach.14:40
slytherincjwatson: can you please also check the plexus-io binary in queue if you have time?14:44
cjwatsonslytherin: done14:49
slytherincjwatson: thanks. Now I can lods of sync requests when I go home. :-)14:50
persiasoren, do an md5sum, and push that to the ucf md5sum file.14:51
sorenpersia: Seriously? That's what we tell users to do?14:51
persiasoren, man ucf provides detailed instructions on this procedure.14:52
sorenpersia: As I said: I know how I *could* do it. :)14:52
persiaIn practice it's usually something like md5sum foo.conf > md5sum file.14:52
persiaSince it's a one-liner, it's been historically easy to put on wiki pages, in IRC, etc.14:52
persiasoren, Feel free to implement --takeover if you prefer :)14:53
pittitkamppeter: oh, cool, thanks; seems that lpstat just does not expose that14:55
kirklandcjwatson: okay, so what action is to be taken with respect to the crypto modules?  should that patch be reverted by rtg?15:18
kirklandcjwatson: and they be added to crypto-modules?15:19
kirklandcjwatson: or are we holding out for a magic modprobe option that --succeeds-if-already-built-in ?15:19
cjwatsonwell, that would be my favoured action for now, although if some magic modprobe option is likely to be feasible in the short term then that would be fine15:19
cjwatsonrtg: what do you think?15:19
rtgcjwatson: I don't have an issue with restoring crypto as modules, but it seems like this is gonna be a generic issue with the installer, i.e., determining what functionality exists in the kernel v.s. modules.15:21
rtgits just 3 more modules that have to be installed at boot time15:21
cjwatsonit is a generic issue, but I think for the sake of expediency I would be happy to work around it elsewhere; it's just that crypto turns out to be rather hard to work around in that kind of way15:21
cjwatsonapw pointed out that if you're using crypto modules then you're probably going to end up stopping and waiting for a password anyway15:21
cjwatsonreally the only other significant case is dm*, and I've basically already worked around that (albeit with some internal cursing :-) )15:22
rtgkirkland: that true? when auto-login is enabled?15:22
cjwatsonat any rate, I'm not sure the encrypted-filesystem case should be taken as the fast path15:23
rtgcjwatson: we made the assumption that any file system that is oft used should be built in15:23
cjwatsonI understand that, just saying that if you're encrypting filesystems then your system is going to take longer to boot anyway15:24
rtgcjwatson: ok, I'll back out those changes, i.e., crypto-fs, CBC, AES, and (something else, can't remember exactly).15:25
kirklandrtg: is what part true?15:27
cjwatsonrtg: thanks, much appreciated; that'll relieve some headaches15:27
rtgkirkland: do you have to pause for a crypto passwd during auto-login?15:27
cjwatsonrtg: I suspect that the modprobe --ok-if-built-in option is the right long-term answer15:27
kirklandrtg: ebc15:27
kirklandrtg: if you are auto-logging in, on a machine installed on top of lvm+crypt, then yes15:28
rtgkirkland: how about encrypted /home or Private?15:28
kirklandrtg: you're talking about an encrypted private directory, plus auto-login, you'll get prompted when you open your Private directory15:29
kirklandrtg: encrypted home + auto-login are mutually exclusive15:29
rtgkirkland: good, thats what I expected :)15:29
kirklandrtg: ie, yes, you will need to enter a password to login to a system with an encrypted home15:29
kirklandcjwatson: okay, so rtg is going to back out cbc, aes, and ecb of kernel builtin's ...  who's going to make sure that they simultaneously get pushed to crypto-modules?15:30
cjwatsonthat happens automatically, relax :)15:30
kirklandcjwatson: :-)15:30
rtgcjwatson: it'll take an hour or 2, but I'll get those changes uploaded today.15:30
cjwatsoncrypto-modules is built by the kernel15:31
cjwatsonrtg: oh, you will need to make sure they're listed in debian/d-i/modules/crypto-modules in the same commit though15:31
rtgI also have to remember to get them back into the d-i information15:31
kirklandcjwatson: and what about getting the encrypt-home code in the installer to apt-get install crypto-modules?  should i make ecryptfs-utils depend on that?15:31
cjwatsonkirkland: I already did that15:31
kirklandcjwatson: \o/15:31
cjwatsonthe only possible change still required is to have user-setup modprobe some things up-front before chrooting15:32
kirklandcjwatson: ah, okay.  i will need those 3 modules loaded, before running ecryptfs-setup-private (aes, cbc, ecb)15:32
cjwatsonis there any circumstance in which it might want different modules?15:33
tkamppeterpitti, I have a question about a possible Intrepid SRU, where the fix is not a small patch.15:33
kirklandcjwatson: well, ecryptfs support far more ciphers, but the "Ubuntu Encrypted Private" and "Ubuntu Encrypted Home" setups are fairly constrained to aes15:34
cjwatsonok, on its way15:35
cjwatsonand then that should make partman-crypto automatically start working again15:36
pittitkamppeter: well, ask :)15:43
alex-weejdoes anyone know the status of multiarch?15:54
alex-weeji am continuously kicked in the balls for running 64 bit15:54
alex-weejwine needs 32 bit pulseaudio ALSA plugin in order to work properly15:54
alex-weejand it's not in ia32-libs15:55
cjwatsonno status to the best of my knowledge15:55
* directhex summons Mithrandir 15:55
* alex-weej wonders if it's worth opening a blueprint15:55
cjwatsonI doubt it15:56
cjwatsonI mean, you could add to the thousands of blueprints that already exist15:56
cjwatsonbut it won't have any effect on magicking up people to work on it15:57
alex-weejof course, but at least it can be tracked better and i wouldn't have to come here asking15:57
directhexdid you do a search for blueprints before asking?15:57
cjwatsononly if there's only one canonical (ahem) blueprint for it. In reality I suspect there are several already, none of which have their status updated ...15:58
alex-weejdirecthex: i googled.15:58
cjwatsonitems not on the roadmap and without developers working on it simply aren't going to have status regularly updated15:58
=== Kmos_ is now known as Kmos
tkamppeterpitti, it is bug 314018. The GS 8.63 breaks bold text in PS output of OOo when converting to PDF while printing (/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstopdf.16:02
ubottuLaunchpad bug 314018 in ghostscript "print bold in openoffice gives bad output" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/31401816:02
tkamppeterpitti, this problem is fixed in Ghostscript 8.64 (release on Feb 1), see http://bugs.ghostscript.com/show_bug.cgi?id=689970 and http://bugs.ghostscript.com/show_bug.cgi?id=69022016:03
ubottubugs.ghostscript.com bug 689970 in PDF Writer "major artefacts in pdfwriter output" [Major,Closed: fixed]16:03
pittitkamppeter: is this a regression?16:03
tkamppeterpitti, yes. In Hardy PS never got converted to PDF when printing.16:04
tkamppeterUnfortunately, the fix is not a simple patch, see http://bugs.ghostscript.com/show_bug.cgi?id=690025#c7 which refers to fixes for the above-mentioned two bugs.16:05
ubottubugs.ghostscript.com bug 690025 in Printer Driver "pxlmono driver prints some glyphs as squares when the input is PostScript generated by Ghostscript" [Major,New]16:05
pittitkamppeter: so it's http://ghostscript.com/pipermail/gs-cvs/2008-November/008772.html and http://ghostscript.com/pipermail/gs-cvs/2008-November/008827.html ?16:13
pittitkamppeter: size-wise they are quite big, indeed, but still bearable with lots of testing16:13
pittitkamppeter: however, the second patch changes the API/ABI, which worries me16:13
pittiwe shouldn't do that in an SRU16:13
=== discoflux is now known as afflux
pittitseliot: hey, happy new year!16:19
tseliotpitti: happy new year to you ;)16:20
tkamppeterpitti, and they say that the patches are based on more text rendering improvements.16:20
pittitseliot: we will go through the specs in today's desktop team meeting and take a look at what's realistic for Jaunty; would you like to (and do you have time to) join?16:20
pittitkamppeter: is there an easier workaround?16:20
tseliotpitti: sure, when/where is it?16:21
pittichanges to ghostscript have a large regressio npotential16:21
pittitseliot: in 9 minutes (1730 CET) in #ubuntu-desktop16:21
tseliotpitti: ok, I'll be there16:21
pittigreat, thanks16:22
pittitseliot: you can lurk, I'll ping you when it becomes interesting for you; shouldn't take more than 10 minutes for you16:22
tseliotok, great16:22
=== Zic_ is now known as Zic
tkamppeterpitti, I have done two quick tests with OOo by myself and Bold printing works for me. So the bug seems to occur only with certain fonts (otherwise we must have already received complaints before release of Intrepid). So it seems that the bug is not so severe.16:36
pittiRiddell: this print dialog http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/screenshots/print_dialog_kde.png -- is this Qt, or KDE?16:43
pittiRiddell: I'd like to file the corresponding Qt/KDE bug for bug 314408 upstream16:44
ubottuLaunchpad bug 314408 in gtk+2.0 "Please separate autodetected from locally configured printers" [Wishlist,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/31440816:44
Riddellpitti: there's no kde dialogue any more, Qt only16:44
pittiRiddell: ah, nice, thanks16:44
tkamppeterpitti, I have found a simple workaround: When one runs "ps2ps" over the faulty PS file and prints (or converts with ps2pdf) the resulting PS file, the output is correct.16:44
Riddellpitti: Qt bugs go to http://trolltech.com/developer/task-tracker16:45
Riddellor ask ThomasZ16:45
tkamppeterpitti, so one only needs to check whether incoming PostScript is from OOo and if so one massages it with ps2ps, as one already does with incoming PS from encrypted PDFs printed with Adobe Reader.16:48
dholbachbryce: will you upload the patch on bug 181948?17:04
ubottuLaunchpad bug 181948 in exim4 "exiqgrep: error on messages w/o size" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/18194817:04
brycedholbach: I can.  I reviewed it when we were in freeze so assumed someone would take care of it later17:05
dholbachbryce: rock on! :)17:07
sebnerdholbach: may I answer in german if it's only for you? :)17:07
dholbachsebner: eh?17:07
sebnerdholbach: you sent me a mail today about further questinos17:08
dholbachsebner: sure, do it if that's easier for you17:08
dholbachthat's fine :)17:08
dholbachthanks in advance17:08
brycedholbach: speaking of which... I do my 1-hr sponsorship each week, however post-freeze it is problematic because you can't upload anything17:08
sebnerdholbach: I don't care but since we are both native german speakers ^^17:08
brycedholbach: this last go-around I still did it, but just listed my view on patches even if they couldn't be uploaded at the time17:09
dholbachbryce: I know - I think it's good to state that, unsubscribe the team and assign it to you, so you can upload it in the next cycle17:09
brycedholbach: however I wonder if it even makes sense to be doing any sponsorship work post-freeze17:09
dholbachbryce: it very much depends on the case17:09
dholbachif it's important, it should go in17:09
brycedholbach: well I'm usually not one to judge importance, since they're almost always non-xorg stuff17:09
dholbachif it has a bunch of duplicates and fixes it, it should go in :)17:10
dholbacha simple string fix can wait for release+117:10
Keybukcjwatson: what's $dh{NOSCRIPTS} all about?17:19
Keybuklooking at dh_installudev, it seems to have a block to modify preinst/postinst17:20
Keybukbut we don't use that do we?17:20
cjwatson$dh{NOSCRIPTS} is set when the -n option is used17:21
cjwatsonand we certainly do use that block, in that it's active - I have no idea whether it does anything useful for us17:22
cjwatsonthe script fragments in question are in autoscripts/17:22
cjwatsonand appear to be moving conffiles around17:22
cjwatsoncf. debhelper 5.0.45 changelog17:23
Keybukbut they're moving things in/out of the parent directory of udev17:24
Keybukwhich is things Debian do, but not us17:25
cjwatsonmight affect sidegrades from old versions of Debian to Ubuntu, but *shrug*. If you want to remove it it's your call. Don't you need similar logic to decide whether to remove or keep files in /etc/udev/rules.d/ anyway though?17:25
Keybuklooks like it's sidegrade stuff yeah17:26
Keybuk  * dh_installudev: Install udev rules directly into /etc/udev/rules.d/, not17:27
Keybuk    using the symlinks. MD has agreed that this is more appropriate for most17:27
Keybuk    packages.17:27
Keybukmatches that changelog entry17:27
KeybukI was thinking of abusing that to handle the automigration yeah ;)17:27
cjwatsonyou could always just extend it; I tend to leave such code there forever17:28
cjwatson(but I have the feeling we've had this discussion before ...)17:28
Keybukwell, yes17:30
Keybukas in copying that block a couple more times17:30
KeybukI thought we must have that disabled somehow, but it doesn't look like it17:30
KeybukI can see it in preinsts, etc.17:30
=== ember_ is now known as ember
Keybukcjwatson: http://people.ubuntu.com/~scott/debhelper_7.0.17ubuntu2.debdiff17:46
Keybukdoes that look sane?17:46
tkamppeterpitti, I hav now suggested a workaround to the reporters of bug 314018, but if one uses a printer with the pxlmono Ghostscript driver one gets easily bitten by http://bugs.ghostscript.com/show_bug.cgi?id=690025 then. So the workaround is not perfect.17:49
ubottubugs.ghostscript.com bug 690025 in Printer Driver "pxlmono driver prints some glyphs as squares when the input is PostScript generated by Ghostscript" [Major,New]17:49
ubottuLaunchpad bug 314018 in ghostscript "print bold in openoffice gives bad output" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/31401817:49
mathiazzul: there was discussion about kde requiring mysql 5.1 in jaunty17:51
zulis it on a mailing list somewhere17:52
cjwatsonKeybuk: substituting the same autoscript twice is a bit unusual and perhaps deserves a comment, but it looks like it should be OK, yes17:52
Riddellnot sure what the context for this conversation is but amarok needs mysql 5.1's embedded library17:52
Riddellmathiaz, zul ^^17:53
Keybukcjwatson: ironically, this means our dh_installudev matches udev upstream ;)17:53
Keybukand Debian's changes everything strangely :p17:53
zulRiddell: we are thinking about upgrading mysql 5.1 for jaunty17:53
mathiazRiddell: right - that's what I remember17:53
Keybukand I so keep typing devmapper when I mean debhelper17:53
zulmathiaz: 117 packages will need to be updated for the mysql library17:54
Riddellzul: who's we?  I believe server team want 5.0 from UDS conversations17:54
mathiazRiddell: and amarok is targeted for main for jaunty?17:54
zulRiddell: correct17:54
Riddellmathiaz: it would be a big blow if it wasn't17:54
Keybukactually, that's not quite right :-/17:54
mathiazzul: considering that we only want one version of mysql in main, we'll have to decide if we go for 5.1 soon17:56
zulmathiaz: im just afraid of things that will break if we do decide to go for 5.117:57
Keybukcjwatson: http://people.ubuntu.com/~scott/debhelper_7.0.17ubuntu2.debdiff18:03
Keybukthat should be much better18:03
cjwatsonoh yes, of course it would have to be a different fragment18:05
Keybukthat'll remove /etc/udev/rules.d/NN-something.rules if unmodified18:05
Keybukbecause the package ships /lib/udev/rules.d/NN-something.rules anyway18:05
cjwatsonKeybuk: you should check $old ne $rule for the postinst substitution18:05
Keybukif modified, it'll leave it - udev handles the override18:06
Keybukah, good point18:06
Keybukrather than $default18:06
cjwatson(which can supersede the $default check, I think)18:06
cjwatsonI'm struggling to figure out why you're moving it about inside /etc in the postinst18:06
Keybukisn't it directly equivalent?18:06
Keybukbecause if it was previously using the default, it would be 50-foo.rules18:07
Keybukbut would now have /lib/udev/rules.d/40-foo.rules18:07
cjwatsonnot directly equivalent if $dh{PRIORITY} happens to be 50 but not $default18:07
Keybukso it moves the one in /etc to 40-foo.rules to match18:07
Keybukerr, if $dh{PRIORITY} is 50, then it'll be 50 across the board18:07
cjwatsonoh, err, right. I think. ok18:07
Keybukso you don't need to do the move18:07
Keybukyou only need to do the move because the default changes18:07
Keybukif you're not using the default, no move is required18:08
cjwatsonoh, yeah, I see how $default is handled above18:08
cjwatsonI think that debdiff is fine18:08
* Keybuk tests on a selection of packages18:09
pittitkamppeter: (was in a meeting, will reply in 30 mins)18:10
Keybukonly two packages in our default install actually use dh_installudev *sigh*18:34
sebnerKeybuk: ahoi! I heard you are responsible for MoM. What's now with new MoM -> DaD progress?18:35
Keybuksebner: I don't know18:35
sebnerKeybuk: so who knows? ;)18:36
KeybukAdri2000 I guess18:36
sebnerKeybuk: he told me to ask you :P18:37
Adri2000bug #19297218:38
Keybukyay loop18:38
ubottuLaunchpad bug 192972 in merge-o-matic "Comments support" [Undecided,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/19297218:38
Adri2000Keybuk: is there something I can do to help get the "server support" ?18:48
KeybukAdri2000: well, the basic problem is your patch relies on mod_python18:48
KeybukMoM is an attractive attack vector if it suddenly has server scripting support18:48
Keybukso any script code should be very paranoid and very well audited18:49
KeybukCGI would be inherently nicer18:49
Adri2000ok. well if you really want cgi, given that I don't know much about it, if anyone wants to help out with that, it'd be very welcome18:52
cjwatsonKeybuk: I was going to make pcmciautils use it in this round18:52
Keybuk(elmo is disagreeing with me, which goes to show you should never second guess a sysadmin :p)18:52
Adri2000Keybuk: who makes the final decision of whether mod_python is ok or not?18:55
KeybukAdri2000: canonical sysadmin, I guess18:56
KeybukI don't think we have a procedure :p18:56
LaserJockKeybuk: armwrestle?18:57
LaserJockmaybe rock-paper-scissors18:57
LaserJockor mao18:57
jpdsLaserJock: Chess.18:58
MithrandirI think you have to make elmo do his laugh-of-doom18:58
Mithrandirnah, too easy.18:59
elmowell, I'm less concerned about CGI vs mod python, than I am about the generic security issues, and honestly, I think someone with a background in web security needs to look at this19:00
elmounless I'm missing something glaring, it does absolutely no filtering on the comments whatsoever19:00
pittitkamppeter: only with certain fonts> that's relieving19:20
pittiRiddell: I filed a bug there, but didn't get an URL, nor does it appear in the search; do these tickets get manual approval?19:20
pittitkamppeter: pstops> can this be done in /etc/cups/oopstops.convs, or in the oopstops filter itself?19:22
pittitkamppeter: I replied to the bug report, let's discuss it there (I'm sub'ed now)19:25
Riddellpitti: yes they're hidden until someone approves it19:30
pittiRiddell: ah, ok; thanks19:43
tkamppeterpitti, are you sure that you have posted into bug 314018? You are subscribed there, but there is no comment from, you.19:50
ubottuLaunchpad bug 314018 in ghostscript "print bold in openoffice gives bad output" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/31401819:50
pittitkamppeter: weird -- seems it ate my comment19:53
pittitkamppeter: anyway, it was just what I asked here in IRC19:53
slytherincjwatson: do you have time for few more syncs?19:58
=== bluesmoke_ is now known as bluesmoke
tkamppeterpitti, I have answered to bug 314018.20:00
ubottuLaunchpad bug 314018 in ghostscript "print bold in openoffice gives bad output" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/31401820:00
pittitkamppeter: ah, thanks; well, if it's easier to implement in pstopdf, I'm okay with it; I looked at the diff, and it looked quite focussed20:01
tkamppeterpitti, my only problem with it is that it breaks pxlmono/pxlcolor: http://bugs.ghostscript.com/show_bug.cgi?id=69002520:02
ubottubugs.ghostscript.com bug 690025 in Printer Driver "pxlmono driver prints some glyphs as squares when the input is PostScript generated by Ghostscript" [Major,New]20:02
pittitkamppeter: ah, right, I remember; if it actually breaks existing things, it doesn't qualify for an SRU20:03
pittiif it's too hard to fix, we should probably just leave it alone in intrepid and just fix it properly in jaunyt20:03
pittiit's not the worst bug in the world20:03
pittikirkland: do you think you can have ecryptfs-desktop-ui drafted by the end of the week? do you think it's a realistic target for jaunty?20:04
pittikirkland: (I wonder if I should put it as a jaunty goal)20:04
kirklandpitti: hey20:06
pittihappy new year, Dustin!20:06
kirklandpitti: same to you!20:06
kirklandpitti: hmm, i can draft the to-do doc by the end of the week20:06
kirklandpitti: dendrobates- doesn't want me working on ecryptfs for this cycle, though20:06
kirklandpitti: so what i have been doing on ecryptfs has mostly been above and beyond20:07
kirklandpitti: normal job responsibilities20:07
kirklandpitti: dendrobates- has sort of asked kees/jdstrand/mdeslaur (securtiy people) to do ecryptfs maintenance20:07
kirklandpitti: and for the desktop team to do the ui aspects20:08
pittijust asking because you are currently set as the drafter for this spec20:08
kirklandpitti: right20:08
kirklandpitti: i'll draft the design doc by end of week20:08
kirklandpitti: and you can size it20:08
kirklandpitti: fair?20:08
pittikirkland: do you think drafting the spec is something that this community person would do as well?20:09
pittikirkland: absolutely20:09
pittiah, Michael20:09
kirklandpitti: michael rooney, you mean?20:09
kirklandpitti: perhaps, though I don't mind doing it, especially if it needs to be done asap.20:09
pittikirkland: if you could do the drafting (with the knowledge about what's possible to do), and I'll do some refinement (wrt. desktop integration), that would be great20:11
kirklandpitti: sounds fine, i can do that20:11
* pitti hugs kirkland, thanks20:12
* kirkland high fives pitti o/*\o20:13
pittiRiddell: I set some tentative priorities to the kubuntu specs; please feel free to fix (or yell at me to change it)20:23
Adri2000elmo: well, you were right, there is at least one leak where one could easily put its own html/javascript/whatever code on the page that would be intrepreted :p20:26
Adri2000elmo and Keybuk : I'm going to fix that (among other things) and push it to my bzr branch20:28
pittigood night everyone20:35
jpdsgute nacht pitti.20:35
=== RainCT_ is now known as RainCT
slytherinCan any of the archive admins please process sync bugs 314470 314487 314505?21:18
ubottuLaunchpad bug 314470 in ubuntu "Please sync plexus-containers 1.0~beta2-2 (universe) from Debian unstable (main)." [Wishlist,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/31447021:18
aibi am getting an assembler segfault during compile which suggests that the assembler uses a different version of libopcodes than which is being linked against.21:59
aiband the version of libopcodes on my system is suspciously new. /usr/lib/libopcodes-
aibcan someone run a test for me to see if this is ubuntu?22:00
aibpecl install channel://pecl.php.net/svn-0.5.0   would do it22:01
aibi was kicked from #ubuntu for asking someone to help me troubleshoot this22:13
aibits potentially a serious issue - not appreciated22:14
jpdsaib: Try asking in #ubuntu-ops.22:14
ghostcubehi guys can i may ask you if its planned to bring back the jackd audio output plugin to the xine-lib package22:18
Riddellghostcube: unlikely, xine is in main, jack is in universe22:20
ghostcubehmm Riddell yeah but it i sneeded on kde4 to get jackd to the phonon backend sources to use it with the kde apps22:20
ghostcubeis there any repackaged version you know of ? with jackd support in ppa ?22:21
TheMusoghostcube: This is also an issue with other packages wanting to work with jack which exist in main. Until the source package of jack-audio-connectino-kit is in main, nothing in main can be built against it.22:23
TheMusogah jack-audio-connection-kit22:24
ghostcubeok :( bye guys22:26
directhexhm. what sort of times is dholbach about?22:27
jnjackinsI have an extra box lying around that I'd like to install jaunty on. Alpha 2 or daily build?22:27
Laneykirkland: re: bug #243205, do you have any objections to me doing the new merge (0.9.0)?22:29
ubottuLaunchpad bug 243205 in mythtv-status "Merge mythtv-status 0.8.1-2 from Debian(Unstable)" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/24320522:29
TheMusojnjackins: Probably start with alpha 2 and then upgrade.22:29
kirklandLaney: you're welcome to do the merge, but i'd recommend using update-motd to publish that status22:29
kirklandLaney: it's better suited to publish mythtv-status22:29
Laneykirkland: I know nothing about that22:30
LaserJockdirecthex: dholbach is usually around business hours (little earlier) European time22:30
kirklandLaney: i've been meaning to talk to the upstream maintainer about it22:30
kirklandLaney: if you'd like to talk to upstream about that, bonus points!22:30
Laneydo any other distros have update-motd?22:30
kirklandLaney: not that i know of22:31
directhexLaserJock, right, k. i've cornered meebey, and he's up for a developer week session22:31
blizzkidkirkland: you here?22:36
kirklandblizzkid: hi22:37
blizzkidkirkland: hi, sorry to bother you, but I read your challenge, and I tried it, but every time I try to decrypt the file, I get the message "bad key". Is that because of a wrong passphrase? Or am I missing something else?22:38
kirklandblizzkid: this isn't the proper place for this22:38
blizzkidcan I msg you?22:38
kirklandblizzkid: sure22:38
=== Seeker`_ is now known as Seeker``
=== Seeker`` is now known as Seeker`
maxbI posted https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2008-December/006560.html, but there's been no reply. Should I just be patient? Repost to ubuntu-devel@? Somewhere else?23:00
james_wmaxb: the list of packages would have been useful23:02
james_wyou can subscribe that team to the bugs23:03
cjwatsonmaxb: if you can write a script which generates a report based on Sources and Packages files from a local archive mirror, I'd be happy to integrate that into the archive team's pool of such reports23:04
cjwatsonthen we would clean them up frequently23:04
maxbaha. Now I know what to do with bugs to flag them for the attention of the appropriate people, I shall start filing them23:06
cjwatsonmaxb: seriously I'd rather that we could get this into people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive and *not* file bugs23:07
cjwatsonbugs are a more heavyweight way to process this kind of thing than a one-page report that we can just run down23:08
cjwatsonthey will take more ~ubuntu-archive effort and delay other things23:08
cjwatsona one-page report would be so much better, as this is a real problem I know23:08
maxbA fair proportion of the outdates are FTBFSes - those probably ought to be bugs, no?23:09
cjwatsonoh, sure, if there's actually a source change to be made23:10
maxbMost of the rest are Packages-arch-specific related23:10
cjwatsonbut if the problem is that the packages need to be removed, I would prefer that those were not filed as bugs23:11
* cjwatson -> bed23:11
maxbIs there anything special I should know about making a script suitable for people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive ? Or should I just leave it set up to download the data from a mirror, and leave it up to the archive admins to tweak it to run on people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive ?23:22
TheMusocrimsun: Yeah we could, would it not make things distorted etc for users who are not affected by  bug 27599823:23
ubottuError: Could not parse data returned by Launchpad: The read operation timed out (https://launchpad.net/bugs/275998/+text)23:24

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!