=== nhandler_ is now known as nhandler
=== jjesse_ is now known as jjesse
=== jouston1 is now known as jouston
vimpulsehi all.  http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-auto/+bug/94382 (filed in 2007) says that the phrase "Guided - use entire disk" that ubiquity used is unclear.  The phrase it uses instead nowadays is still four words, but different: "Use the entire disk".  The new phrase is still unclear.  Should I file a new bug, or add to the current bug?05:04
ubottuUbuntu bug 94382 in partman-auto ""Guided - use entire disk" is not clear enough for normal users" [Medium,Confirmed]05:04
vimpulseI would like the installer to use the phrase "Erase and use the entire disk" instead.05:05
vimpulsecrosspasting to ##linux05:14
vimpulsenever mind.  I decided to add the comment http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-auto/+bug/94382/comments/2 and to retitle the bug to ' "Use the entire disk" is unclear; please rename to "Erase and use the entire disk" '.05:29
ubottuUbuntu bug 94382 in partman-auto ""Guided - use entire disk" is not clear enough for normal users" [Medium,Confirmed]05:29
leoXsysthurston: Welcome :) Now you can put your question here :)06:00
thurstonLeoXsys: Thanks, I am about to do that right now :).06:01
thurstonI am new to ubuntu, in fact a week old. I have downloaded and installed the latest version of Skype. I have noticed how Skype interferes with movie player and also the sound on the laptop. When Skype is running, video playback gets retarted and I lose sound totally. I have played about with different settings but the only remedy is when I quit Skype, then everything returns to normal. I have ubuntu Intrepid running on an "acer T06:04
thurstonravelMate 6292".06:04
dtchenyeah, that's Skype being crackful06:04
dtchenand until Skype has a native PulseAudio backend, things will continue to be crackful06:04
dtchenthe best that can be done is to configure Skype to use PA for playback and hw:X for capture06:05
dtchen(or just drop PA totally and use ALSA only)06:05
thurstondtchen: Thank you for your advice, I made a quick change to PA for playback, applied the changes and it seems to have sorted my problem. I will monitor this for a while and will report back soon. Thanks again.06:10
thurstonleoXsys: thank you again for guiding me here, it seems I have been sorted.06:11
leoXsysthurston: One more thing you can switch over from PA to ALSA using asoundconf-gtk, (Just install it from CLI sudo apt-get install asoundconf-gtk)06:17
dtchenleoXsys: asoundconf* is deprecated; we're completely removing it in karmic (and it has been removed in Debian unstable's alsa-utils)06:19
leoXsysdtchen: Okk...06:19
leoXsysleoXsys: Mostly it's helpful me to switchover between my ALSA / WL USB Headset / PA .06:21
thurstonleoXsys, dtchen: Clearly then I will no be able to get asoundconf, even if I tried.06:36
dtchenthurston: you should not use asoundconf; it will make native ALSA apps route directly through alsa-lib instead of through PulseAudio06:44
dtchenthurston: you can rm ~/.asoundrc to work around any changes you've made with asoundconf*06:44
thekorngood morning07:48
TheHobbitThere is something I do not understand in the definition of when an attacment can be defined a patch. Should it be something that can just be dropped in the debian/pathces directory?10:04
thekornTheHobbit, I think https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Patches has a good definition of a patch in ubuntu10:11
TheHobbitthekorn: ok, then the diff I found in the bug I'm loking at is a patch, if it works that is:)10:22
=== asac_ is now known as asac
TheHobbitI hava another stupid question... unqualified patch numbers (those with just a sharp sign) in debian/changelog refers to debian bugs, right? which is then the right way to indicate that a patch closes a launchpad bug?10:52
jpdsTheHobbit: (LP: #NNNN). (Closes: #NN) is for Debian.10:53
TheHobbithmmm this leads me to think there is something to do in the debian tools for emacs... may be changing them in ubuntu tools, with minor differences..10:55
TheHobbithmmmm I'm sorry, but I have another question... I'm working on a bug in the hugday list. I've verified that the attached diff is realy a patch, transformed it a dpatch patch in the correct directory, modified the changelog and build the new package11:57
TheHobbitI've installed it and verified it solves the bug11:58
TheHobbitwhat's next?11:58
Hobbseesubscribe ubuntu-universe-sponsors?12:03
IntuitiveNippleCreate a debdiff between the current package version and the new version, attach that to the bug, then , I think, you need a Feature Freeze Exception (FFE) request? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeatureFreeze12:05
HobbseeIntuitiveNipple: it's unlikely to be a feature...12:06
IntuitiveNippleI thought the "is a reasonable fix for an important bug" reason covered it?12:06
Hobbseefeature freeze only covers new features.  Bug fixes are totally separate12:07
Hobbsee(although the section you just quoted would be a "to fix this bug reasonably, we need to put in this feature")12:07
BUGabundoIntuitiveNipple Hobbsee hey12:08
Hobbseehey BUGabundo12:08
IntuitiveNippleHobbsee: Ahhh, that would make more sense12:08
TheHobbithmmm the problem is, I'm not even sure that this bug should be fixed anyway :)12:09
IntuitiveNippleSo a debdiff to make the change easy and subscribe the appropriate sponsor, then?12:09
IntuitiveNipplelol @ TheHobbit ... go on, why?12:09
Hobbseeby the sounds of it, it appears that TheHobbit has a debdiff already, as he's made one12:10
TheHobbitis 354912, which states that grsync is not in the "right" menu12:10
TheHobbitwhile I'm agree I'm not sure that other people would not disagree12:11
TheHobbitand as the "Network" menu is the one chosen by upstream...12:11
TheHobbitand, yes Hobbsee I have a debdiff12:13
IntuitiveNippleI wish openjdk didn't take so long and so much space to build. I've had to extend the encrypted LVM for /var/ twice so far!12:15
IntuitiveNippleI suspect /var/cache/ is going to be moved to it's own unencrypted LV12:16
TheHobbithmmm I must go, anyhow, I posted the debdiff and set the status to confirmed, I hope this is enough,,, (I also signaled it closed on the HugDay list..)12:27
TheHobbitsee you12:27
BUGabundoI would like for bug 357719 to be marked wishlist. thanks14:42
ubottuLaunchpad bug 357719 in gnome-power-manager "GPM should have user profiles" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/35771914:42
BUGabundoHobbsee: thanks14:46
BUGabundoI really should apply to bug control team....14:47
BUGabundobut then ppl would pick on every little bit of stress I put in my words14:47
BUGabundohey pedro_ that was fast14:54
pedro_hola BUGabundo, yeap, just remember to set enhancement as a severity for upstream wishlist items :-)14:56
BUGabundoI did choose improvement14:56
BUGabundoguess != enhancement14:56
hggdhpedro_,  ping15:11
pedro_hggdh: hello15:12
=== jouston1 is now known as jouston
pedro_Ubuntu QA Meeting at #ubuntu-meeting in ~9 minutes17:51
mdzbdmurray: was it you who was working on an apport hook for alsa-info?18:18
BUGabundoYoBoY: hey! you have been missing !! eeh18:18
bdmurraymdz: no, I haven't done any work on that.  ogasawara and I were talking about separating sound bugs from kernel bugs and having a hook for alsa-driver.18:19
mdzbdmurray: I was talking with someone about it and can't remember who it was18:19
bdmurraymdz: the hook would have to be for a separate package (than linux) correct?18:20
mdzbdmurray: actually I would like to add it to hookutils and use it in any sound-related package18:22
bdmurraymdz: ah, that makes sense.18:23
mdzbdmurray: heh, I just checked and realized I already implemented it18:23
mdzit's just that no package uses it yet18:23
mdzbdmurray: hookutils.attach_alsa(report)18:23
bdmurraymdz: ah great!  I'll work on getting some packages set up with it then18:24
mdzbdmurray: I'll do alsa-driver18:29
mdzbdmurray:   Uploading alsa-driver_1.0.18.dfsg-1ubuntu8_source.changes: done.18:37
mdzbdmurray: this should make it possible to (e.g. for kernel bugs) run apport-collect -p alsa-base NNNNNN18:38
bdmurraymdz: You can add random package info to an existing bug?18:39
mdzbdmurray: yes!  bug 33387518:39
ubottuLaunchpad bug 333875 in apport "apport-collect: provide a package name override" [Medium,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/33387518:39
mdzbdmurray: spread the word18:39
bdmurraymdz: will do thanks for that information!18:41
YoBoYBUGabundo: missing? only today :D lot of work18:45
BUGabundoahh nice to see you back!18:45
mdzbdmurray: I've also committed to apport (revision 1379) a new function, hookutils.attach_relevant_packages() which attaches version info for a set of packages (I saw this code duplicated in several hooks)18:52
sbeattiemdz: yay! I duplicated that code in a few places.18:53
mdzsbeattie: it should go in the next time pitti makes a release18:55
mdzbdmurray: I didn't realize there was no pulseaudio hook yet, I'll whip one up19:16
mdzbdmurray: I'm thinking attach_alsa + recent_syslog for pulseaudio.  anything else you think would be good?19:16
mdzbdmurray: I bet we could get a lot more good stuff with pulseaudio-utils, but that's not installed by default19:17
dtchenif attach_alsa does not include everything that alsa-info does, we'll still have to ask for alsa-info.19:18
dtchensomething that alsa-info currently doesn't grab that would be useful is dmesg (filtered for codec messages) and /proc/interrupts19:19
dtchensome things*19:19
mdzdtchen: I went line-by-line through alsa-info.sh and included everything which made sense19:21
dtcheni'll look at it later and make additions as necessary19:21
mdzdtchen: I skipped basic things like version numbers because apport does those all by default19:21
dtchenoh, and we need fuser -v /dev/dsp* /dev/snd/* /dev/seq* [...]19:22
mdzdtchen: one thing I left out was alsactl -f - store19:22
mdzdtchen: that seemed redundant with the amixer output.  is there some subtle difference I missed?19:22
=== fader_ is now known as fader|lunch
dtchenmdz: no, that should be fine19:23
mdz    report['AlsaDevicesInUse'] = command_output(19:24
mdz        ['fuser','-v'] + glob.glob('/dev/dsp*')19:24
mdz            + glob.glob('/dev/snd/*')19:24
mdz            + glob.glob('/dev/seq*') )19:24
mdzshould do the trick19:24
mdzI'll add that to attach_alsa19:24
dtchenslight problem: it returns nothing useful as an privileged user.19:25
dtchensorry, unprivileged19:25
mdzdtchen: it finds my own processes OK19:26
mdzperseus:[~] fuser -v /dev/snd/*19:26
mdz                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND19:26
mdz/dev/snd/controlC0:  mdz        3799 F.... mixer_applet219:26
mdzit may not see pulseaudio since that runs with some privileges I believe19:26
dtchenright, and those apps are the ones that "cause problems"19:27
mdzwe don't currently have access to elevated privs in this context, but I'll add it anyway and we can improve it later19:28
mdzdtchen: bzr commit -m 'apport/hookutils.py: Add fuser info and dmesg to attach_alsa'19:32
mdzdtchen: do you have any suggestions for things to add to pulseaudio beyond attach_alsa and syslog?19:33
dtchenmdz: /etc/default/pulseaudio, /etc/pulse/default.pa, and /etc/pulse/client.conf19:34
mdzdtchen: those are conffiles, so apport will get them automatically iff they're modified from the defaults19:34
dtchenmdz: ah, ok19:35
dtchenmdz: no, i think that covers it. ~/.pulse* really is only useful in special cases.19:38
mdzdtchen: ok, thanks19:38
mdzI'll upload pulseaudio with a hook shortly19:38
mdzbdmurray,dtchen: bug 35791319:53
ubottuLaunchpad bug 357913 in pulseaudio "pulseaudio would benefit from an apport hook" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/35791319:53
=== lacqui_ is now known as lacqui
bdmurraymdz: How does PciMultimedia get generated?19:57
mdzbdmurray:     report['PciMultimedia'] = pci_devices(PCI_MULTIMEDIA)19:57
mdzbdmurray: pci_devices uses lspci to find all of the devices with a certain PCI class19:59
bdmurraymdz: it seems like xorg might benefit from using that20:00
bdmurrayit currently grabs all of lspci20:01
mdzbdmurray: yes, I'm surprised it doesn't already use that20:01
bdmurraymdz: I think they were written before the convenience functions20:01
mdzbdmurray: it should use pci_devices(PCI_DISPLAY)20:02
bdmurraymdz: looking at the compiz one it makes more sense to me to remove attach_hardware and add pci_devices(PCI_DISPLAY).  Do you think so?20:07
macomdz: dan says he's missing the /proc/asound/card/Codec stuff from alsa-info.sh in the apport-bug that was just reported. he says unless it's just lag between uploading, he needs the codec info to be added to the apport alsa hooks20:08
bdmurrayI didn't see it either20:08
macohe said for AC97 and A...um...something else...crap I can't type and listen at the same time20:09
mdzmaco: which bug?20:09
macoi dont know, he hung up20:09
bdmurraymdz: your sample pulseaudio one20:09
macoyeah thats the impression i got20:09
mdzmaco: it includes the entire contents of /proc/asound/cards20:09
mdzoh, no it doesn't20:10
mdzthen again, I don't see why it would be needed either20:10
macocodec info's really important20:10
mdzmaco: if you/he can let me know exactly what he wants in there, I can add it easily20:10
maco i think it'd be /proc/asound/card*/Codec*20:11
mdzmaco: those are directories; what should I pull out of there?20:12
macoac97 makes them into directories? lemme check alsa-info.sh. i only have intel to look at here20:13
bdmurraymdz: #Check for HDA-Intel cards codec#*20:13
bdmurraycat /proc/asound/card*/codec\#* > /tmp/alsainfo/alsa-hda-intel.tmp 2> /dev/null20:13
bdmurrayfrom alsa-info.sh20:13
bdmurrayand then20:14
bdmurraycat /proc/asound/card*/codec97\#0/ac97\#0-020:14
bdmurraycat /proc/asound/card*/codec97\#0/ac97\#0-0+regs20:14
macomdz: i dont know anything about ac97, but at least in the hda category, codec's important in the way that can determine what hardware you should or shouldn't buy. sigmatel and realtek (hey great, both my laptops) are ones dan says are often problematic20:17
=== fader|lunch is now known as fader_
calcmaco: just means you need to write the quirks for your system, its not too hard :)20:20
mdzbdmurray,maco: ok, thanks20:23
mdzpulseaudio takes ages to build20:24
mrooneycan someone remind me what we do for a bug like bug 357877?20:27
ubottuLaunchpad bug 357877 in ubuntu "resuming from suspend on Dell Studio 15 does not work in Jaunty - regression; worked in Intrepid" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/35787720:27
mrooneythat needs like 4 tags, doesn't it?20:27
mrooneyregression-potential, suspend, resume, dell?20:27
bdmurrayogasawara: ?20:28
mrooneythanks :) I think the package is also linux for those20:29
bdmurraymrooney: a whole new bug report would probably be best I'm surprised apport didn't catch it20:29
mrooneybdmurray: yeah I have seen some seemingly automated suspend resume issues, how does that work?20:29
bdmurraythere is an apportcheckresume script20:30
jgoguenbug 261595 should be set to High because of the data loss/corruption potential right?20:30
ubottuLaunchpad bug 261595 in thunderbird "Thunderbird corrupts Mailbox when hd is full" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/26159520:30
bdmurraymrooney: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/SuspendResumeTesting/ has full details20:31
macocalc: yeah i know20:31
macocalc: that's what dan was teaching me about last summer20:32
bdmurraymrooney: so they should run that script to get the higher quality bug report20:32
calcmaco: ah20:32
mrooneybdmurray: okay, shall I just link to that, asking them to run that, incomplete the bug, and invalidate it if they post a link to the new bug?20:33
bdmurraymrooney: sounds great20:34
mrooneyalso is this a dupe? bug 35792820:34
ubottuLaunchpad bug 357928 in ubuntu "HPLIPC doesn't use the new style for notifications " [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/35792820:34
mrooneysomething about printing using notify-osd sounds familiar20:34
macodont forget there are two printing systems installed by default20:34
macothere's that cups configuration thing from fedora too20:35
maco(that one's notifications seem to work fine, by way, though i think it ought to say "$file has been sent to the printer" instead of "$file has been printed" since it displays long before the printer even responds, let alone finishes)20:36
mrooneybdmurray: is there any way to investigate why apport didn't catch that suspend issue?20:38
bdmurraymrooney: I don't know specifically but would check with the kernel team20:41
mdzbdmurray,maco: bzr commit -m 'apport/hookutils.py: Add codec info to attach_alsa'20:44
mdzdtchen: I must have overlooked that, but it'll be there with the next apport upload20:46
=== _neversfelde is now known as neversfelde
=== yofel_ is now known as yofel
ausimagehello I believe bug 320393 is not related to the remote desktop server perse...22:20
ubottuLaunchpad bug 320393 in xrdp "keyboard unusable after logging in" [Undecided,Incomplete] https://launchpad.net/bugs/32039322:20
ausimageThat aludes xrdp and I have the same bug in tightvncserver22:20
ausimagedoes anyone know what package in gnome it should go against instead?22:21
ausimagethe workaround is turning off /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/plugins/keyboard22:22
ausimageand I could not believe the bug was incomplete either :/22:22
ausimagejust cause there was no backtrace22:23
ausimagethe bug here does not generate a crash... just a miscommunication :/22:23
jgoguenbug 261595, this should be set to High because of data loss/corruption potential?23:41
ubottuLaunchpad bug 261595 in thunderbird "Thunderbird corrupts Mailbox when hd is full" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/26159523:41
* ausimage spies that Jaunty is now RC :)23:49
ausimageat least that is what the change logs indicate23:50
ausimageoops wrong channel :S23:51

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!