chrisccoulsongood morning / evening everyone00:13
chrisccoulsonhey bryceh, how are you?00:16
brycehchrisccoulson, peachy00:17
chrisccoulsongood :)00:17
brycehchrisccoulson, hacking on gtg code this sunday afternoon :-)00:17
chrisccoulsoncool! gtg looks quite interesting00:18
brycehyeah, there is a major new refactoring which really speeds it up a lot for large numbers of tasks00:20
brycehI've been testing and reporting bugs on it, sounds like it'll go in pretty soon00:21
chrisccoulsoni've just installed it to try it out :)00:22
chrisccoulsonooh, it integrates with hamster00:22
brycehchrisccoulson, there's a plugin I made to import our blueprint workitems ('import_json').  But by now you probably have no remaining wi's :-)00:23
chrisccoulsoni don't think i had too many to start with ;)00:23
RAOFHas the couchdb backend for gtg gone in yet?00:25
brycehRAOF, not yet, the aforementioned refactoring is a pre-requisite to that00:26
RAOFOk.  I'll stay with lucid's packaged version for now then.00:27
brycehthe devs are going to start work on backend development once this is merged in, and I think couchdb is at the top of the list for backends00:27
RAOFBah.  I incautiously hit enter in a terminal and triggered that annoying plymouth bug :/00:31
chrisccoulsoni just ended up uninstalling plymouth00:32
chrisccoulsonbecause of that ;)00:32
RAOFI like to keep a certain amount of friction installed, so it doesn't get lost.  Also, it's hard to test seamless plymouth->X transitions without having plymouth installed :)00:33
chrisccoulsonyeah, that's true00:33
chrisccoulsonunfortunately, it makes my laptop virtually unusable, and i still need to able to get some things done with it00:33
RAOFIt only happens once per boot for me, which is not so annoying that I need to uninstall plymouth.00:34
chrisccoulsondoes anyone understand what causes it?00:34
chrisccoulsonbecause i noticed that all my keyboard input is routed to the VT that X is running on when i have plymouth installed00:35
RAOFSarvatt has a theory about plymouth fiddling with the VT flags and not unfiddling with them, so that the enter key ends up sending X SIGQUIT.00:35
TheMusoIMO we really shouldn't have switched to plymouth for lucid.00:43
Sarvatt+1 :)00:44
Sarvattthe quit signal is definitely getting sent from the tty layer - http://paste.ubuntu.com/382615/ other distros are getting around it by having plymouth running on another VT00:47
SarvattRAOF: that plymouth where I made it stop setting ISIG on the VT didn't work I take it?00:48
RAOFSarvatt: No, that didn't fix it.00:48
arandHmm, that wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Lucid/FeaturedApps) is becoming a bit cloggy, I did some categorising (&adding) but I don't know..00:57
brycehhey, while I was eating a sandwich, gtg 0.2.2 was released01:12
brycehdo we need FFe's for packages in universe?01:12
Tm_Tbryceh: you should eat sandwiches more often01:12
RAOFbryceh: Yes, but only if they're feature releases - if 0.2.2 is a bugfix only, you just need to document it in a bug and upload.01:13
brycehit was a good sandwich01:13
brycehRAOF, it's mostly bugfix but has several features added (including the import_json plugin)01:14
brycehand libindicator01:14
RAOFOh, sweet.01:14
RAOFWell that should have (and should get) an FFe.01:15
brycehgtg ffe: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtg/+bug/52978901:29
ubottuLaunchpad bug 529789 in gtg "ffe for gtg 0.2.2-1" [Undecided,New]01:29
didrocksgood morning07:14
RAOFdidrocks: Good morning!07:14
didrockshey RAOF ;)07:14
RAOFWell, late afternoon :)07:14
didrocksheh, sure for you :)07:14
RAOFI am from the future!07:14
pittiGood morning07:51
pittidpm: jaunty/karmic cronjobs disabled07:52
didrockshey pitti, enjoying your long week-end? :)07:52
dpmheya pitti, good morning, welcome back and thanks for coming back to me on that :)07:53
pittididrocks: it was great, thanks! how are you?07:55
pittidpm: you're welcome07:55
pittiRAOF: welcome! how was your first day?07:55
didrockspitti: lots of wind and bad weather. Consequently, stayed at home and rest ;)07:56
RAOFpitti: Pretty good.  I've got a plan to make nouveau rock by first getting inundated by bugs and then fixing them all like a madman.07:57
pittiwind> I noticed, our train connection took two hours longer than planned07:57
pittiRAOF: that sounds like a hercules project07:57
RAOFAnd the IS team should be getting in to work soon, so I should have access to the wiki any time now ;)07:57
didrockspitti: but you finally arrived, that's what matter :) In France, there are a lot of damages (1 million homes without electricity yesterday, still 500 000 today)07:59
pittididrocks: ouch07:59
RAOFWoah.  That must suck, particularly in winter!08:00
didrocksyeah :/08:01
pittifortunately it just became sprint08:05
pitti(which is also the reason for the storms to begin)08:05
RAOFMmm, the smell of lasagne says “dinner time until London gets in to the office”!08:12
chrisccoulsongood morning everyone08:13
pittihey chrisccoulson, good morning08:14
chrisccoulsonhey pitti - did you have a good weekend?08:14
didrockshey chrisccoulson!08:14
chrisccoulsonhey didrocks!08:14
pittichrisccoulson: yes, it was wonderful; good mix of sightseeing, sauna, massage, nice dinner, and Claude Shannon museum08:15
chrisccoulsongood stuff08:18
chrisccoulsonwas anybody affected by the storms this weekend?08:18
pittitook us two hours and two train changes more to get home, but nothing serious08:20
didrockschrisccoulson: not really affected in Paris apart from the bad weather and some sign board no more in their usual place :) but some parts of France are heavily damaged08:21
chrisccoulsondidrocks - yeah, i saw on the news over the weekend. it looks quite bad towards the west :(08:21
chrisccoulsonpitti - i'm not sure if you saw my message yesterday (about gnome-user-share)08:23
pittichrisccoulson: I did; on my list08:23
chrisccoulsonexcellent, thanks :)08:23
pittichrisccoulson: I'm going to reinstall the mini with the current daily first08:23
pittiusb-creator is grinding08:23
=== tkamppeter__ is now known as tkamppeter
dpmpitti, I've got a couple of questions re bug 525726. Gwibber is not translatable in Launchpad (a template was never imported), although having built the package locally, it does seem to create a POT template on build. I'm not that familiar with the packaging, but could it be that it was promoted to main without having been rebuilt? If so, can I request anyone from the desktop team to re-upload the package? (I cannot currently upload a template manuall08:26
dpmy unless there hasn't been a template imported first)08:26
ubottuLaunchpad bug 525726 in gwibber "Gwibber needs to create a translation template on build" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/52572608:26
pittidpm: that's plausible, let me check08:37
pittidpm: https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gwibber/+changelog confirms this08:38
pittidpm: I'll do a no-change upload now08:38
TheMusoGood morning European folk. :)08:39
pittiTheMuso: good morning!08:39
TheMusos/morning/evening/ :p08:40
nigelbTheMuso: you've been closing a rhythmbox bug or two?08:40
dpmpitti, many thanks. Just so I know for future cases, which is the entry in the changelog that confirms this?08:40
pittidpm: done08:40
chrisccoulsongood morning TheMuso08:40
TheMusonigelb: Only stuff that also has a pulseaudio task.08:40
chrisccoulsonhey seb12808:40
pittidpm: oh, that's a bit "encoded"; the same version is both superseded and published in lucid08:40
nigelbTheMuso: ah :) I got a few mails.  Since they were closed, I left them alone :)08:40
pittidpm: which means that its component was moved08:40
pittidpm: and I just happen to know that it moved from universe to main08:41
pittiseb128: bonjour Monsieur!08:41
seb128hey chrisccoulson pitti08:42
seb128chrisccoulson, pitti: did you have a good weekend?08:43
chrisccoulsonseb128 - yeah, not too bad thanks, although i have a bit of a cold08:43
dpmpitti, thanks a lot!08:43
chrisccoulsonhow was your weekend?08:43
seb128chrisccoulson, oh :-(08:43
seb128pretty good08:43
seb128we got quite some wind yesterday though08:44
* TheMuso hopes everyone survived the storms unscathed.08:44
seb128we got some small power cuts but otherwise everybody and everything is ok there08:45
seb128did anybody got news from pedro btw?08:45
pittiseb128: yes, it was wonderful; we spent it in Paderborn, some sightseeing, wellness, massage, nice dinners, and Claude Shannon museum08:46
pittiseb128: just had some train delays getting back, but under the weather circumstances it was okay08:46
pittiseb128: didn't hear from Pedro in a while08:46
seb128just read my emails got on from dholbach08:46
seb128"Pedro and his family08:47
seb128        are perfectly fine, but currently without an internet connection"08:47
seb128pitti, seems a very nice weekend indeed ;-)08:47
didrockshey seb12808:48
seb128lut didrocks08:49
nigelbhey aquarius, you pinged me on identi.ca I believe :)08:51
aquariusnigelb, I did! Mainly to say: if there's anything that you want to know about the Ubuntu One music store that would make your bug adoption of Rhythmbox easier, just say the word :)08:52
nigelbaquarius: so far, nothing has popped up related to store, but when it does I'd love to know how I can help you guys out08:52
nigelbI do remember that I can reassign the package when it has something to do with the store08:53
nigelbspeaking of which, seb128: upstream has come up with a new rhythmbox release :)08:53
didrockswaow, the debian GNOME week-end has created a lot of email traffic08:54
seb128nigelb, thanks, we have a few days snapshot will update later08:54
seb128didrocks, they triaged lot of bugs?08:54
nigelbokay :)08:54
seb128didrocks, you are subscribed to debian bugs too?08:54
didrocksseb128: yes, I'm subscribed and yes, they planed to make some kind of "hug day" for GNOME in debian08:55
chrisccoulsondid anyone here get involved with that at the weekend?08:55
seb128didrocks, I've read the blog post08:55
seb128I didn't08:55
aquariusnigelb, well, when it does (I'd love to say "if" it does, but I'll go with "when"), you know where I am!08:55
seb128I try to not work during weekends and I would do I would rather triager our bugs08:55
chrisccoulsoni tried triaging some ubuntu bugs at the weekend ;)08:55
nigelbaquarius: yes :) Great to touch base with you :)08:56
seb128chrisccoulson, :-)08:57
seb128didrocks, how many emails did you get from their triaging?08:59
didrocksseb128: I didn't count, but more than 300 emails08:59
chrisccoulsoni bet seb128 can beat that this morning ;)09:00
seb128that's something I guess09:00
seb128chrisccoulson, I got 500 ubuntu ones waiting there09:00
seb128which is a pretty normal weekend count09:00
seb128pitti, I'm working updating rhythmbox to 0.12.7 now btw, do you want me to batch any other change?09:32
pittiseb128: I just sponsored Jan's patch09:32
seb128oh ok09:32
pittiseb128: I don't have anything else09:32
seb128I will do another update09:32
seb128I hate bzr09:32
pittiseb128: next time I'll ping you before09:32
pittiseb128: what's wrong?09:32
seb128pitti, no need to ping me sorry about that09:33
seb128pitti, format changed or something it refuses to pull09:33
seb128I keep running into those issues09:33
pittiseb128: "bzr info" -> which format does it show you?09:33
seb128too late I tried a bzr upgrade09:33
seb128which seemed to have worked09:33
seb128I just don't get why it was working a few days ago09:33
seb128and breaks out of the blue09:34
seb128let's see if I still manage to push later09:34
didrocksI saw that some new branches have been updated to the new format recently09:34
seb128didrocks, that happens in an automatic way?!09:35
pitticould have been me09:35
pittibut I don't remember any more09:35
pittiI upgraded one branch recently, to do a merge with a proposed 2.0 branch09:35
seb128bzr should be smarter about that and do what is needed09:35
didrocksseb128: when pushing you see "updating to new format", or some cron on LP side, I guess09:36
RAOFI think we should probably make it policy that all bzr branches are in 2a format.09:36
seb128rather than return weird errors09:36
pittiand over time, all those should eventuyally be 2.009:36
didrocksseb128: +109:36
seb128hey RAOF, how was your first day? ;-)09:36
seb128is that good? ;-)09:36
TheMusoseb128: We had an almost wintery day in Sydney.09:37
RAOFIt was marvelously cool and damp.  I fixed a bunch of nouveau-related stuff, got an action plan to make it awesome, and will shortly be getting access to the wiki!09:37
TheMusoRAOF: Speaking of which, I'm working on lbm ppc packages so we can get nouveau. Hitting a snag however.09:38
seb128RAOF, do you fancy to update gjs or resync on debian when you have some time btw?09:38
RAOFCertainly.  The diff got applied to the Debian package; I think it might now be a sync.09:39
seb128RAOF, we probably still need some replaces or did they take that too?09:41
RAOFAh, yeah.  We probably need them.09:42
RAOFOh, and I see the bzr package importer hasn't get grabbed the latest source from debian.09:43
seb128chrisccoulson, do we have a reference bug for bug #527904? is that a libindicator issue?09:46
ubottuLaunchpad bug 527904 in gnome-panel "Icons randomly disappear from notification-area-applet" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/52790409:46
chrisccoulsonseb128 - thats a libindicator issue. tedg pushed a fix for it initially, but it doesn't work (and I found another issue with the fallback too)09:47
chrisccoulsoni'll find the master09:47
seb128chrisccoulson, thanks09:48
chrisccoulsonseb128 - bug 52905209:48
ubottuLaunchpad bug 529052 in indicator-application "battery applet comes and goes in notification area" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/52905209:48
seb128chrisccoulson, thanks09:49
chrisccoulsonthe fallback really doesn't work very well. every time an application calls app_indicator_set_menu, it sets up a new fallback timer, which flips the status of the icon when it times out09:50
chrisccoulsonwhich is causing the blinking icon that people are reporting in gpm09:50
chrisccoulsoni'll ping tedg about that later though09:50
seb128so those people have issues because they don't use the indicator09:51
seb128I expect many of them don't know09:51
chrisccoulsonseb128 - yeah, they're not using the indicator09:51
seb128or removed it because they didn't like the messaging menu09:51
seb128but not it's used for other things too09:51
chrisccoulsoni've seen at least one person confused about having the messaging menu in the same applet as the other icons09:52
chrisccoulsonbut, that's not really any different to the old notification area really09:52
chrisccoulsonseb128 - i've done g-c-c this morning btw09:53
seb128oh nice09:53
seb128need sponsoring?09:53
chrisccoulsonseb128 - when you get some time :)09:53
seb128will do that soon09:53
RAOFHah.  My enable-the-testsuite diff to gjs broke the build for kfreebsd.09:56
RAOFTheMuso: What was the lbm on PPC snag?10:00
TheMusoRAOF: something to do with powerpc64 headers and not being able to find a macro... Stilldigging.10:02
RAOFOk.  Sing out if you want some (not-able-to-actually-do-a-PPC-build) help ;)10:02
TheMusoheh ok thanks10:02
TheMusoRAOF: and its the alsa drivers that is hitting the error.10:04
RAOFseb128: Is gjs a part of the GNOME standing FFe?10:15
seb128RAOF, not sure but I'm usually allowed to grant universe desktop ffe10:19
seb128RAOF, so I'm granting this one10:19
RAOFOk :)10:20
=== czajkowski is now known as cz-tab
RAOFHm.  A lot less of that diff actually got applied than I thought. :/10:24
=== cz-tab is now known as czajkowski
RAOFWe really are going to have to ensure that gnome-shell works with libseed for lucid+1.10:29
seb128bug #52552010:34
ubottuLaunchpad bug 525520 in gnome-control-center "gnome-about-me lost all information" [Low,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/52552010:34
seb128I didn't though users were running this capplet10:34
seb128but we got quite some duplicates now10:34
chrisccoulsonyeah, it doesn't work at all now10:41
chrisccoulsonnot sure when that broke10:41
nigelbseb128: now that the new release is in, do you want a debdiff for the hook?10:49
seb128nigelb, no that's ok, let me review that one before10:49
seb128it's on my todolist10:49
nigelbseb128: ah, sorry.  thought you wanted me to get something done :)10:50
seb128well you did update it but I didn't have time to review that yet10:50
chrisccoulsonhey MacSlow - when adding a new synchronous notification, what can I set the "x-canonical-private-synchronous" hint too (or can I set it to anything I like)?10:50
chrisccoulsongsd has a new notification for touchpad on/off10:50
nigelbah :)10:51
TeTeTasac: any update on the modem manager blacklisting patch? Did it ever make it?11:01
RAOFOk.  I'm going to finish that merge tomorrow morning.11:11
seb128RAOF, no hurry11:14
MacSlowchrisccoulson, e.g. 111:24
chrisccoulsonseb128 - gsd is done now11:46
seb128chrisccoulson, good, I'm away for lunch now11:49
seb128but will sponsor after lunch11:49
chrisccoulsontseliot, the newest version of gsd has support for disabling the touchpad now. did you do any work on adding a check-box to the mouse properties UI, or do you want me to do this?12:01
chrisccoulson(i can't remember if you said you were going to do that or not)12:01
tseliotchrisccoulson: I promised seb128 that, if no one had implemented that before alpha 3, I would have worked on it. But I really need to implement support for 16 colours in plymouth first :-/12:02
seb128well we have a gconf key now12:03
seb128and a hotkey12:03
seb128so it's less of an issue12:03
seb128easy to tweak12:03
chrisccoulsonseb128 - yeah. my laptop doesn't seem to have a touchpad hotkey though12:03
tseliotchrisccoulson: I'd be glad if you could do this. I'm available to answer your questions on it if you have doubts12:03
* tseliot is chocking with work12:03
chrisccoulsonright, i'm going to grab some lunch12:23
seb128chrisccoulson, enjoy12:24
rickspencer3good morning chrisccoulson12:30
chrisccoulsonhey rickspencer3, how are you?12:31
rickspencer3chrisccoulson, I am quite fine12:31
rickspencer3I am working from Florida this week, gets me a bit closer to your time zone12:31
pittihey rickspencer312:31
rickspencer3chrisccoulson, today is your first day, right?12:31
chrisccoulsonrickspencer3, yeah, i started this morning :)12:32
seb128hey rickspencer312:32
rickspencer3hi pitti and seb128!12:32
didrockshey rickspencer312:33
rickspencer3hi didrocks12:33
rickspencer3has everyone adjusted to our new "Chris" rich team already?12:33
chrisccoulsoni think everybody should change their names to chris ;)12:34
chrisccoulsonjust to make it more confusing12:34
pittiCC, CC, and CR? nice12:35
chrisccoulsonwell, CCC for me ;)12:35
bratscherickspencer3: What are you doing in FL?12:36
rickspencer3bratsche, I'm working from my parent's house for a week12:36
rickspencer3need to make sure they are ok at least once per year :)12:36
seb128rickspencer3, not sure if you have seen but robert_ancell did great work on the feature apps selection12:51
rickspencer3seb128, I saw12:52
rickspencer3we talked a bit my yesterday evening, his this morning12:52
rickspencer3basically, it is "Robert's Featured Apps" now :)12:52
rickspencer3because he did all the work organizing the community input and reviewing the apps and such12:53
seb128rickspencer3, he didn't list quickly though12:55
didrockseven though quickly is in software center! that's a shame ;)12:57
didrocksmvo: thanks for putting it in s-c, I didn't notice before ;)12:58
mvoseb128: where/in what branch is his work12:59
mvodidrocks: got pulled in automatically :)12:59
* mvo pats his update script(s)12:59
didrocksmvo: sweet, even if we don't have any .desktop file? How can we add the icon, btw?12:59
seb128mvo, none that I know, he emailed ubuntu-desktop-list12:59
seb128mvo, with the list of apps he reviewed and picked too13:00
mvoseb128: aha, I should read more mail13:00
* mvo looks13:00
mvodidrocks: AFAICS its the package that s-c has. lucid does normal packages now as well13:01
* mvo likes the choice(s) of robert13:01
* didrocks reforwards his email as the list isn't setup to reply to the ML automatically13:03
=== MacSlow is now known as MacSlow|lunch
rickspencer3I just read robert_ancell's review in detail13:10
rickspencer3I don't see there is too much more to discuss :)13:10
rickspencer3though I think perhaps including an IDE is not necessary13:10
rickspencer3and maybe one or two more games if there are good ones13:11
didrocksyeah, his default list is great for the most part. I've just included some little discussion on some points, but nothing really important13:11
rickspencer3meh, looks like he looked at other game and rejected them for good reasons13:12
* mvo adds the list to s-c13:13
seb128mvo, rock on!13:16
seb128didrocks, how bug #530024 is a gsd bug?13:19
ubottuLaunchpad bug 530024 in gnome-settings-daemon "Cache wallpaper even when ubiquity is in install mode" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/53002413:19
seb128if gsd is not running...13:19
didrocksseb128: I'll had the script to gsd package (just pushed)13:19
didrocksas previously planned13:19
seb128hum no?13:19
didrocksI need to open the bug to casper as well, I'm testing the script13:20
didrocksno? we talk about adding gnome-update-wallpaper-cache to gsd, no?13:20
seb128when, where?13:20
didrocksI can show you the log, one week and half ago, when we discussed about the postinst stuff to cache on upgrade13:21
seb128I'm still not convinced it should be in gsd13:21
didrocksjust tell me where to put it, I don't care, but not changing it once more :/13:22
seb128right and I though we dropped the postinst thing?13:22
seb128let me think13:22
didrocksseb128: right, but on ubiquity "install mode", we will still install it13:22
seb128I don't like much adding random binaries to g-s-d which have nothing to do with gsd13:22
didrocksI understand, just tell me where, I'm a little bored about this change already…13:23
seb128since that's for ubiquity...13:23
didrocksseb128: the script that will call it is in casper btw13:24
seb128so casper?13:24
didrocksI don't care, just tell me so that I don't have to change it once more :)13:24
didrockspitti: agree too ^13:24
seb128I don't know13:24
seb128I've no real opinion on it, I just would like it better if it was not in gsd13:24
seb128it has nothing to do there13:25
* didrocks waits until their is an agreement on this, just spent too much time on this and testing all went ok…13:25
didrocksI still add the casper task for now13:26
pittididrocks, seb128: hm, I don't see a big problem with shipping a new binary in /usr/lib/ in the g-s-d package, but if you prefer it to live in gnome-about (as a gnome-desktop binary), that's fine for me as well13:28
seb128pitti, I would prefer it to be in casper if that's what need that$13:28
pitticasper is arch:all13:28
seb128could use python-gnomedesktop ;-)13:29
seb128gnome-about is arch all too13:29
didrocksso, I have to rewrite it in python? :/13:29
seb128bah, that change sucks13:29
pittiseb128: why? it's just a new 5-line .c file in debian/rules?13:30
seb128I guess having a casper depends on python-gnomedesktop will not be people happy easier13:30
seb128pitti, because we are arguing and working on that for weeks now13:30
seb128that seems lot of trouble for a detail13:30
seb128I'm near of thinking it should be a new source package13:31
seb128didrocks, don't bother rewritting the thing again13:36
didrockswhich means? do I push my changes, do I move the .c file into another package? (It took me some hours again to test that today)13:37
seb128I'm pondering between the "screw it and use gsd we discussed that too much now" even if that's the wrong component for it and I don't like having delta there13:37
seb128and "do a new source package for it"13:37
seb128didrocks, not sure why it should take some hours to test, you just need the binary to be installed13:38
seb128whatever package install it should make no difference13:38
seb128as long as it's in the location you use13:38
didrocksseb128: because I tried with the package change to install ubiquity again in live mode, in install mode, etc.13:38
didrocksto ensure I don't break the install13:38
seb128if it moves source I don't see a reason to do that testing again13:39
seb128there is no reason it should break13:39
seb128anyway let me think a bit between the 2 options I just gave13:39
didrocksseb128: no sure, but if we screw it, it's just loss, that's why I just want to know what we do about it13:39
pittiseb128: I don't think we'll get rid of our Ubuntu delta in g-s-d soon, and once we do, we can still move it somewhere else, FWIW13:40
seb128pitti, yeah I don't think either, still it seems wrong to add that in gsd since that has nothing to do with gsb13:41
seb128seems we are just picking a random abitraty component and add stuff we don't where to put in13:42
seb128I can see cases where g-s-d is not installed or used but gnome-desktop used and the command could be useful13:42
pittioh, hang on13:46
pitticasper is arch:any13:46
pittiand already has a .c file13:46
pittiso, we could actually put it there13:47
pittiseb128, didrocks: ^ sorry, seems I was misled13:47
didrocksno pb, moving it right now so :)13:47
* pitti hugs didrocks13:47
* didrocks hugs pitti13:47
* seb128 hugs didrocks13:48
didrocksso, where should I put it on the FHS? somewhere away from /usr/bin (I was putting it in /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/ before)?13:48
* didrocks hugs seb128 back and hope we can finish one day with caching ;)13:48
pittididrocks: in casper it doesn't matter much13:49
pittididrocks: casper-desktop-background-cache, or whatnot13:49
didrocksok, as it's only installed on live, that makes sense :)13:50
didrockshum, that will make casper build on gnome-desktop and glib btw, isn't it an issue for derivatives not using GNOME?13:55
seb128didrocks, check with cjwatson?13:56
chrisccoulsonhmm, i've just noticed from the gpm changelog:13:57
chrisccoulson"Set the timeout for critical battery notification to never"13:57
chrisccoulsonthat's not going to work with notify-osd is it?13:57
seb128MacSlow|lunch, ^13:58
seb128hey tedg14:05
tedgGood morning seb12814:05
=== MacSlow|lunch is now known as MacSlow
MacSlowseb128, correct... apps cannot directly control a notifications-timeout with notify-osd14:08
seb128MacSlow, what happens when they try?14:08
chrisccoulsonseb128 - the fallback dialog appears14:10
seb128ah I see14:10
chrisccoulsonso, i'm wondering whether to just revert the change, or if we need to discuss that first14:11
seb128when is that bubble displayed?14:12
chrisccoulsonwhen the battery is critically low14:12
MacSlowseb128, the fallback-dialog should show up14:13
seb128chrisccoulson, will that trigger gpm suspend soon?14:14
chrisccoulsonseb128 - yeah, it should do14:14
seb128I would say just revert the change14:16
seb128it's going to suspend anyway14:16
chrisccoulsonyeah, it seems easiest14:16
seb128tedg, bug #50694714:41
ubottuLaunchpad bug 506947 in indicator-session "Use a unique spelling for "Shut Down"" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/50694714:41
seb128tedg, it might be an easy to fix bug you want to look at before string freeze14:41
tedgseb128: Yes, apparently we're changing the wording on all of those last minute :-/14:42
tedgseb128: I think right now.  I need to confirm it.14:44
tedgseb128: I found out on Thursday, but with the UX thingy, I wasn't able to get a clean answer.14:44
seb128tedg, please get strings changes in this week tarballs if you can14:45
tedgseb128: Will do.14:45
seb128good ;-)14:45
=== andreasn_ is now known as andreasn
vishtedg: i thought mpt wanted to rename it to "Switch Off"14:59
tedgvish: Yeah, I think that's it.  And I believe that suspend is changing to sleep.14:59
vishmat_t: djsiegel1  Bug #530041 is a dup of Bug #460144 , which MacSlow mentioned is not supposed to use the replace hint as done by the volume/brightness notifications15:11
ubottuLaunchpad bug 530041 in network-manager "Network-manager is not using the "replace" hint in notify-osd" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/53004115:11
ubottuLaunchpad bug 460144 in notify-osd "nm applet doesn't close notification when it is obsolete" [Low,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/46014415:11
=== debfx_ is now known as debfx
jcastropitti: do you think vino is going to be a problem wrt. app indicators?15:26
pittijcastro: that 80 KB patch?15:29
pittiwell, such patches aren't something we take with much joy, to be honest15:29
jcastrocan you join #ayatana?15:29
pittiwe have a policy to always forward patches upstream first, and of course also get them accepted at some point15:29
pittibut of course we have to make some concessions here15:29
pittijcastro: so I expect we'll test and apply it, but will probably have to drop it again in the next update, when it doesn't apply any more15:30
jcastropitti: ok I think seb and jpetersen figured it out15:30
jcastropitti: after this it's just brasero left to do!15:31
jcastro(and it should be ready for you guys today)15:31
seb128jcastro, hum, no, we have been discussed gsd15:32
seb128ie the keyboard layout thing15:32
seb128not vino15:32
pittimy real preference would be to have five patched apps, as a "proof of concept", and then get indicators blessed upstream, so that we can upstream the patches (and also make them much simpler by dropping the non-indicator portions)15:33
pittibut I realize we can't have that :)15:33
mdeslaurtedg: so, when a python application uses "insert" to add stuff to an application indicator gtkmenu, it doesn't get updated. I've been looking for a fix/workaround, but so far I've only found doing another "set_menu"...which is time intensive...any ideas?15:34
pittiso we need to carry them for a while; but I don't think we can take over responsibility for 20 of them15:34
jcastroseb128: ugh, of course, I got mixed up15:34
pittiwe have enough to do with fixing up the ones that we already applied15:34
pittiand they are a huge time sink when doing package updates15:34
pittisince they keep breakign15:34
seb128pitti, we don't have so many and some already went upstream (not for GNOME though)15:35
tedgmdeslaur: No, no clue.  Are you using a 0.14 of indicator-application?  We fixed some bugs related to that.15:35
mdeslaurtedg: yes, 0.1415:35
jcastropitti: jpetersen and nafai have been very responsive fixing the bugs as they came in15:36
tedgmdeslaur: Hmm.  I'm pretty sure it works in C... just port the whole app ;)15:36
jcastropitti: and after the first few hard bugs fixed in indicator-application it's not so bad now15:36
pittijcastro: agreed15:36
mdeslaurtedg: yeah, port from python to C, always a good idea :)15:36
tedgmdeslaur: Can you make a quick test case?15:36
jcastropitti: g-s-d, vino, and brasero are the last three left for our goal for lucid.15:37
mdeslaurtedg: sure, I'll make one and open a bug. Just wanted to know if it was something that was already known or not.15:37
jcastrowhoops, I left out hplip too, which is having some problems but smithj is working on it15:37
pittijcastro: there's also a patch for policykit-gnome15:37
pittiand hplip15:37
pittiI saw quite a few of those fly by15:38
jcastropitti: do you have any insight on how to get these in better shape for you? I'd be a shame to have all their work not shipped in lucid.15:40
jcastroI have the contractors prioritized on a) lucid bugs as they come in for the app indicators, and then b) Getting the patches in shape for upstream15:40
pittijcastro: not touching .glade files, changing strings, and fewer hunks (if at all possible) :)15:49
pittiso that they port better to newer upstream versions15:49
=== bjf-afk is now known as bjf
mat_tvish: it is not a dupe15:58
mat_tvish: MacSlow is not correct in this case15:58
vishmat_t: hmm , it is the same bug both bugs are about the notifications showing up at the wrong time or showing up late.., the sync notifications [which have replace hint] was supposed to be reserved for hardware feedback..  maybe the async should also have a replace function..  well mpt might know more..16:01
mat_tvish: mpt has asked me to file this bug16:03
mat_tvish: it should definitely use the replace hint16:04
vishmat_t: yup , i meant mpt might know more than me :)16:04
tgpraveen12i see from the mailing list that it is proposed to not include gnucash in the featured application list as it is considered complex. but i really think it should be included as a16:19
tgpraveen12decent accounting package is very much needed. and gnucash is a very reliable and popular application. it is indeed one of the best accounting applications even when16:20
tgpraveen12compared to its proprietary competitors and as for it being complex i installed gnucash on my dad's machine for his accounting16:20
tgpraveen12work and he learnt it in no time and now absolutely loves the program. he was using ms money earlier16:20
tgpraveen12though i must also say that my dad is a professional account, but he is by no means a computer expert16:21
tgpraveen12and even he got hang of gnucash in no time.16:21
hyperairtgpraveen12: it might be because he's a professional accountant, that's why he can figure out the software.16:21
hyperairanyway, who here is well-versed with the GNOME freeze exception conditions?16:22
mdeslaurtedg1: fyi: I've opened bug #53013816:23
ubottuLaunchpad bug 530138 in indicator-application "Using .append() on a gtkmenu doesn't update the indicator's menu" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/53013816:23
tgpraveen12hyperair: well as i said he was using ms money earlier and he didnt find much differences. and found gnucash to be more flexible, and powerful albeit a weeb bit less friendly16:23
tgpraveen12but still i mean it totally deserves a featured app for being a star accounting package16:24
hyperairtgpraveen12: it's still a specialist application. most people have never even heard of ms money.16:24
tgpraveen12and for nothing else then for the fact that there are no other accounting packages in the featured app section16:24
tgpraveen12hyperair: inkscape is going to be there. isnt that a specialist app too?16:25
tgpraveen12and accounting apps are somewhat commonly used i thought16:25
tgpraveen12hyperair: i could give u more egs.16:25
hyperairtgpraveen12: the average desktop user is more likely to draw vector graphics than do accounting.16:25
tgpraveen12thats debateable. depends on the user. my dad would not ever draw. heck i might also never.16:26
hyperairtgpraveen12: almost all students who have to do reports will eventually need to draw some diagram or other and inkscape is splendid.16:26
tgpraveen12hyperair: gimp was removed from default install because it was considered a specialist app and it is there in featured app too.16:26
hyperaircompare the number of students doing reports to the number of accountants who use ubuntu?16:26
tgpraveen12hyperair: the point is not only accounts would use gnucash16:26
tgpraveen12it is a personal accounting app. so anybody could use it.16:27
hyperairhmm maybe i should take a look at it sometime..16:27
* hyperair has no power over this.16:27
tgpraveen12hyperair: if u do take a look at it i should mention that the documentation is awesome. do try it16:28
hyperairhmm okay16:28
* kenvandine uses gnucash :)16:28
vishtgpraveen12: why dont you respond on the mailing list?16:32
vishwould be a better place16:32
tgpraveen12just a little lazy as i am not subscribed to ml ;-)16:33
chrisccoulsontaking gpm now16:55
chrisccoulsonpitti - did you have a change to merge?16:56
pittichrisccoulson: merge what?16:56
pittichrisccoulson: I just saw an indicator bug fix and assigned it to me, but that was like 10 minutes ago16:56
chrisccoulsonpitti - removing the icon from the indicator menu?>16:56
pittichrisccoulson: if you are working on the package, please feel free to grab it, of course16:56
chrisccoulsonyeah, no problem16:56
mvoseb128: when I try to use a git version of gtk I get gdk_keymap_add-virtual_modfiers undefined - is that a known issue? is there a way to workaround?17:14
mvohttp://paste.ubuntu.com/386414/ (full error)17:15
* mvo is away for lunch but will read backlog17:15
chrisccoulsonhey pitti - did you manage to try the latest gnome-user-share today?17:17
seb128mvo, late lunch?17:17
pittichrisccoulson: sorry, not yet; there was quite a large Friday/weekend backlog to catch up with17:17
chrisccoulsonpitti - no worries17:17
seb128mvo, not a known issue by me no17:17
seb128mvo, $ nm -D /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so | grep gdk_keymap_add_virtual_modifiers17:20
seb128mvo, we have a patch coming from debian touching that though17:21
seb128but it's supposed to be a directfb change17:21
mptvish, the replace hint (like the append hint) is not reserved afaik, it's public. Empathy annoyed me in 9.10 because it was using replace when it should be using append.17:32
chrisccoulsontrying to merge patches is not nice17:38
seb128chrisccoulson, in which sense?17:39
seb128I will do the gtkhtml + evo updates later tonight17:39
seb128didrocks, ^17:39
seb128(just mentionning it so we don't dup work)17:40
chrisccoulsonseb128 - i just tried merging a branch from someone, which contains changes to an existing patch17:40
seb128yeah, in such cases I just get each and apply changes17:40
chrisccoulsonthe merge did not go very well, as i'd just refreshed the patch to apply cleanly to a new upstream version17:40
seb128and diff the source with changes applied17:40
seb128but that's annoying to od17:40
chrisccoulsonyeah, i think i'll just do that17:40
didrocksseb128: evo updates?17:40
seb128didrocks, evolution17:41
didrocksoh, didn't see that yet17:41
didrockssweet :)17:41
NafaiHoly upgrades Batman17:45
=== dpm is now known as dpm-afk
Nafaipitti: jcastro said you might have questions regarding my vino patch?18:03
pittiNafai: ah, right; first, thanks for forwarding upstream18:07
NafaiHrm, with the latest update, my multimedia keys on my keyboard stopped working18:07
pittiNafai: I wondered if it's possible to do that without changing glade files (which keep changing, and it's a pain to merge with new upstream versions), or changes to/new translatable strings18:08
NafaiThe changes to glade plus the new strings were suggested by mpt. :)  I'll have to look back if that is the only place with new strings.  I'm sure we could, though the current preferences application would be a little odd since it talks about the "Notification Area"18:10
mptpitti, no, not really, because with the patch it would no longer be doing the thing that the upstream preferences talk about.18:11
mptpitti, the only way to avoid changing a translatable string, I think, would be to make it no longer a preference at all, but that would still involve changing the glade file.18:11
pittiNafai: ok, so asked the other way around, woudl the string changes be appropriate for vino without indicators as well? i. e. replacing "notification area" with a more general term?18:11
pittithen the patch could be split18:12
pittiinto "string beautifications" (which could go upstream sooner), and the indicator bit (which we probably need to keep for a while)18:12
mptahh, that might work18:12
Nafaimpt would be the one to ask on that, but I'm inclined to say yes18:12
mptNafai, does the upstream notification area item behave like a menu?18:13
pittiNafai: I'm asking because string changes and glade file patches are usually the worst things to maintain18:13
Nafaipitti: I can imagine18:13
Nafaimpt: right click menu and left click to bring up prefs18:13
dobeyanother temporary alternative to editing the glade, if you just need to change a string, or hide the widget, is to do a simple _hide() or _set_label() or whatever, on the widget in question in the code18:13
Nafaimpt: which is lame, given there is a "Preferences" menu item in the right click menu18:14
Nafaidobey: good point18:14
mptNafai, so "Show Remote Desktop menu:" could conceivably go upstream, though I could understand they might reject it18:14
pittiwell, in case of the strings it's not really the patch itself that hurts, but that you break all translations18:14
mptor dobey's idea works too18:14
pittiand that we have to maintain a parallel set of translations18:14
pittiNafai: the other part was how much you could test this patch, since it's rather intrusive18:15
mptI'm generally biased towards a string that's accurate in one language over a string that's translated in all languages but accurate in none of them18:15
pittiNafai: and I know that the canonical desktop folks don't really use vino a lot, thus there's no testing there18:15
mptbut I know that's got me in trouble before18:15
pittimpt: we don't know how accurate the translations are, though18:15
mptyeah, I guess some of them could be vague enough18:16
Nafaipitti: Right, it was hard to test in a way I feel fully comfortable with, it was mainly, "okay, this is the behavior with the packaged version.  I get similar behavior with my version.  Plus, if I compile without app indicators, it still behaves like the currently packaged version"18:16
NafaiBut there are wide corners I'm sure I didn't hit18:17
NafaiLike I didn't use it for an extended time, etc18:17
NafaiGreat, X.org is suddenly taking 98% CPU18:19
didrockspitti: when you have some spare cycle (maybe tomorrow), can you please sponsor casper on bug #530024? I guess I'll wait for cjwatson for ubiquity, or if you want to…18:22
ubottuLaunchpad bug 530024 in gnome-settings-daemon "Cache wallpaper even when ubiquity is in install mode" [Undecided,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/53002418:22
didrockspitti: I've rewritten the "hook" which call either the copy or the .c file to python in install.py. I've retested in all mode, hence the whole day used for that (+ bug triaging) :/18:24
chrisccoulsonfantastic, gpm doesn't even build18:25
dobeyI need to figure out how to do triggers/hooks with apt18:25
NafaiSo, what's the consensus on what I should do with vino?18:26
chrisccoulsonpitti - hughsie is ok with us committing trivial fixes to gpm isn't he?18:30
pittichrisccoulson: yes, as long as they don't change UI or general behaviour; bug fixes are fine18:31
chrisccoulsonpitti - yeah, the latest version doesn't build, due to an undeclared variable18:31
dobeyis anyone following eog at all?18:33
pittididrocks: I saw that you discussed that with cjwatson; so you came to an agreement how to split this between casper and ubiquity?18:37
pittididrocks: I'm happy to review/sponsor the casper patch, of course; tab opened, will do tomorrow18:38
didrockspitti: right, remove everything from casper and reimplemented in python in ubiquity18:38
didrockspitti: hence the time to retest/remake ;)18:38
didrocksbut hopefully caching in install is finished \o/18:38
didrocksbtw, is it normal that /usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png is a jpeg file?18:39
pittimerci beaucoup18:39
didrocksde rien ;)18:39
pittioh, that casper change is easy, applying right away18:39
didrocksyes, it's just removing :)18:40
pittichrisccoulson: so, the new g-u-s doesn't have a noticeable boot speed impact18:40
didrocksthanks pitti!18:40
pittichrisccoulson: I didn't strace it to see how long the extension takes, but I see no apparent difference in the nautilus line18:40
pittididrocks: de rien; thanks to you!18:40
dobeyKeybuk: how much will you hate us if ubuntuone-syncdaemon gets started by nautilus at log-in?18:45
chrisccoulsonpitti - thanks. am i ok to just go ahead and upload g-u-s then?18:47
pittidobey: does it make a difference whether it's started by an autostart .desktop or nautilus?18:47
pittidobey: it seems as a nautilus extension it's cheaper to check gconf etc. whether u1 is enabled, and you could also disable it more easily?18:48
pittichrisccoulson: sure18:48
dobeypitti: well nautilus isn't going to start it directly. it just makes a dbus call18:48
dobeypitti: yes, we'll be doing that as well18:48
chrisccoulsonpitti - thanks. will upload after dinner18:49
pittidobey: I don't think there's a difference about launching it from a .desktop file vs. nautilus; Keybuk only cares about a default installation, where it wouldn't start either way18:49
dobeypitti: there are also some weird use cases where that can be problematic18:49
pittidobey: the thing that I'd consider is non-GNOME desktop UIs, though18:50
pittidobey: e. g. XFCE/KDE certainly implement autostart .desktop files, since that's an XDG spec; but nautilus is GNOME specific18:50
pittiso you'd need a different approach for those18:50
pittidobey: what's the principal advantage of launching it from nautilus?18:50
pittidobey: (if your intention is to defer the startup for a while, to not utterly slow down desktop startup when U1 is enabled, you can use the X-GNOME-Autostart-Delay: key)18:51
dobeywe don't have put a desktop file and write a wrapper to do the launching18:51
dobeyand nautilus is going to make dbus calls anyway18:51
dobeyno my intention is to make the user experience not suck :)18:51
dobeyi don't care about deferring startup18:51
dobeyi care about presenting information to the user in a timely manner18:51
pittidobey: oh, how is the user experience affected by this at all? it seems to me like a small technical implementation detail18:51
dobeypitti: we can sync arbitrary files, so if you sync ~/Documents for example, we'll need to show an emblem on it, and let the extension set up the UI for managing that folder18:53
pittiright, understood; that seems unrelated to moving an autostart .desktop to a dbus activation .service file, though?18:54
dobeypitti: there being an autostart file or not is irrelevant, because the nautilus extension still needs to make the dbus calls, which is going to cause syncdaemon to start regardless of whether the user disabled the autostart or not.18:56
pittioh, there already is a com.ubuntuone.SyncDaemon.service18:57
pittidobey: so, as far as I can see, it shouldn't matter; my feeling is that it's easier to handle a .desktop file than to maintian code for XFCE/KDE to launch the sync daemon, but your call18:58
dobeyit was easier to work around this before, when we only had one directory to deal with18:58
dobeypitti: you got stuck on how it's started. but i just want to know how much scott will want to kill me, so i can make objective decisions about how to make all this work right :)19:00
pittidobey: I don't think he'll care at all19:01
dobeywell if syncdaemon causes an 8-second delay...19:02
pittidobey: it does that with a .desktop file as well19:03
pittiit's not due to how it's started, it's doing tons of IO in python19:03
dobeypitti: i know that. my question wasn't about how to do the startup :)19:04
pittidobey: well, if your question was about implying to _always_ starting syncdaemon, independently of whether the user enabled U1, then he'd crossburn you indeed :)19:05
rickspencer3seems like it would be good for you and I to talk *after* that19:05
rickspencer3as I may have some news19:05
rickspencer3(good or bad :/)19:05
rickspencer3sounds okay?19:05
pittirickspencer3: go ahead19:05
pitti(not sure whom you are addressing in particular)19:06
dobeywrong chan? :)19:06
rickspencer3that was like half of a PM19:06
pittidarn, if you do that you could at least leak a secret :-P19:06
rickspencer3it makes more sense if you got the first half19:06
rickspencer3unfortunaly, it's not a secret, I was telling kenvandine that I have a call with statik in a few, and that we should talk after that19:07
didrocksthat's far less interesting and secret ;)19:07
chrisccoulsonright, dinner time19:10
* didrocks follows chrisccoulson on dinner :)19:11
hyperairhow does automounting of a volume take place?19:12
* hyperair is trying to figure out how to change vfat's default options19:12
pittihyperair: use /etc/fstab19:13
rickspencer3pitti, now that chrisccoulson has left for dinner, should we discuss who should be the next compiz maintainer?19:13
hyperairpitti: er. this is a thumbdrive.19:13
hyperairpitti: i want to change the default vfat options for *all* thumbdrives.19:13
pittihyperair: in short, it's udev -> event -> udisks -> event -> nautilus -> decides to automount -> dbus call to udisks -> calls mount19:13
hyperairand who decides which flags to pass?19:14
pittihyperair: hm, I don't think that's possible right now19:14
hyperairin particular fmask/dmask19:14
pittisome are hardcoded (the security relevant ones)19:14
pittisome can be specified by the user session19:14
hyperairi see.19:14
hyperairi'd like to patch the fmask19:14
hyperairon whichever program is to blame.19:14
hyperairi'm annoyed by cp/rsync making all my source code files +x19:15
hyperairin fact, i don't even know why vfat defaults to having everything +x19:15
hyperairwhy is that?19:15
pittibut nautilus doesn't allow specifying the mount options right now19:15
hyperairi know it doesn't.19:15
pittihyperair: so that you can actually have executable files on them19:15
hyperairit doesn't seem hardcoded in nautilus either19:15
hyperairgrep doesn't say anything19:15
pittino, it's not19:15
pittiit's just the defualt of "mount"19:16
hyperairit is?19:16
pittistatic const char *vfat_defaults[] = { "uid=", "gid=", "shortname=mixed", "dmask=0077", "utf8=1", NULL };19:16
pittistatic const char *vfat_allow[] = { "flush", "utf8=", "shortname=", "umask=", "dmask=", "fmask=", "codepage=", "iocharset=", NULL };19:16
pitti^ from udisks19:16
pittithe second list is stuff that the caller can specify (like nautilus, or udisks --mount-options on the command line)19:16
hyperairi see.19:17
hyperairand since nautilus isn't passing that, it's in mount?19:17
hyperairthere's a gconf key somewhere..19:17
hyperairoh hey i think i'll just patch devkit-disks to change the default.19:18
pittihyperair: udisks, but yes19:19
pitti(unless you are on karmic)19:19
hyperairi'm on karmic =)19:19
* hyperair rubs hands in glee and builds a patched devkit-disks19:25
hyperairpitti: by the way, do you know where i can find out more about the freezeexception granted to GNOME?19:27
pittiuh, good question19:27
hyperairpitti: and whether taglib-sharp/banshee-community-extensions can be included under it19:27
pittitaglib-sharp doesn't seem to use GNOME versioning; is it actually part of GNOME?19:28
hyperairtaglib-sharp isn't.19:28
pittihyperair: anyway, at this point we only have feature freeze19:28
hyperairbanshee doesn't use GNOME versioning either, but they all sync their releases with GNOME.19:28
pittiso anything which just fixes bugs is okay19:28
pittiGNOME itself is pretty much in bug fix only mode as well19:29
hyperairin banshee's case, 1.5.3 up to 1.6.0 should be bugfix-only19:29
hyperairi think.19:30
hyperair1.6.0 is the stable19:30
hyperair1.5.3 up to 1.5.N (i forgot where it stops) is beta.19:30
hyperairtaglib-sharp has api changes (some bitrate property or other being added. quite minor, and no abi breakage)19:30
hyperairbanshee-community-extensions has not entered debian NEW yet.19:31
hyperairoh yeah banshee 1.5.4 which is sitting around in debian require taglib-sharp
gabaughyperair: the taglib-sharp api change was accidental, and was reverted in
hyperairgabaug: that's abi, not api.19:32
gabaugah, yeah - the rest is all API additions - no harm there19:33
chrisccoulsonrickspencer3, seb128 warned me i might end up being the next compiz maintainer :P19:33
pittisounds fine at first sight19:33
hyperairgabaug:> broke abi, and> fixed abi, so we omitted in debian to avoid any breakage.19:33
hyperairso> = no problems.19:33
hyperairpitti: so do i need to request a FFe, or can i just omit and pass it directly to the archive admins?19:35
chrisccoulsonvuntz - is there any way to update my SSH key on my GNOME git account? I'm using a new machine since my account was created, with a new SSH key19:35
pittihyperair: if it's a beta->final thing, no FFE necessary19:35
hyperairpitti: what about taglib-sharp?19:35
chrisccoulsoni have to go back to my old machine to commit19:35
pittihyperair: unsure with the current information; perhaps submit an FFE bug with a link to the changelog, and check if the changes include new features/structural changes/etc.?19:36
pitti(if it doesn't change API/ABI, just adds new API, that seems fine)19:36
hyperairalready checked the ABI, after i went and pwned taglib-sharp's rdeps during the upload prior to this one19:37
* hyperair has learnt his lesson19:37
pittihyperair: ok, seems you already checked the sanity of the library then19:38
hyperairpitti: yep19:39
hyperair/dev/sdb1 /media/HyperUbu vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0133,dmask=0077,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,flush,errors=remount-ro 0 019:41
hyperairthanks pitti =D19:41
didrocksasac: any reason why build-depending on xulrunner-dev doesn't make the bin package depends on xulrunner?19:56
chrisccoulsondidrocks, do you call dh_xulrunner in debian/rules?20:05
chrisccoulsonit will add the depends to shlibs:Depends then20:06
didrockschrisccoulson: hum, that's a classic cdbs file, so I guess not, is there a cdbs class for that, or add it manually?20:06
chrisccoulsonhmmm, i'm not sure if there is a cdbs class for that20:06
chrisccoulsoni think you have to do it manually20:07
didrockshum, pitti is quicker :)20:07
chrisccoulsonheh ;)20:08
didrocksI was thinking that we assigned the bug first, but apparently not :)20:09
chrisccoulsonyeah, historically the xulrunner dependency is added manually to the binary, but you need to update that manually for each new xulrunner version20:09
pittiit seemed to be so simple to me that I JFDIed it instead of going through a lengthy discussion process20:09
didrockshum, assign conflicts :)20:09
didrocksit overrided yours (thanks to ajax ;))20:09
pittiusually I pick up the team assignments and fan them out to individuals20:09
pittididrocks: oops20:09
pittinice race20:10
didrocksright :)20:10
didrocksI was looking at that before we were assigned in fact20:10
pittibut in fact I wondered why we don't use the webkit backend20:10
didrocksand was suprised but bzr pushed told me "hum hum, diverged ^^)20:10
pittiand have an ubuntu delta to use xul20:10
pittibut seb128 isn't around to ask, so *shrug* :)20:10
didrockspitti: because it's a debian change and nobody is maintaining it20:10
didrockspitti: so, we took back gecko as upstream advised it and we don't have those weird mallard bugs20:11
didrocks(I've changed that last week)20:11
chrisccoulsonyeah, the webkit port is quite out-of-date now20:11
didrockspitti: so, my bad for having forgotten the dependencies, I was thinking it was pulled automatically. Thanks for fixing it :)20:12
Nafaipitti: Thanks for adding the comment to the bug for me20:13
pittiNafai: heh -- that sounds like "thanks for making my life harder" (which is right, in a way..) :)20:14
Nafainot a big deal, really20:16
chrisccoulsonthe new gpm indicator menu is far too wide now it has the remaining time in there20:17
chrisccoulsonit looks really weird20:18
chrisccoulsontedg - your indicator-application update to hide the fallback GtkStatusIcon before unreffing didn't work20:20
chrisccoulsonwould you like to merge lp:~chrisccoulson/indicator-application/fallback-fixes ?20:20
chrisccoulson(you can't call gtk_widget_hide on a GtkStatusIcon)20:20
tedgchrisccoulson: Sure, let me finish what I'm doing right now.  Can you propose a merge so I don't forget?20:23
pittigood night everyone20:25
didrockshave a good night pitti20:27
seb128'night pitti20:29
chrisccoulsontedg - no problem20:54
chrisccoulsontedg - there is another issue with the fallback too, which i didn't have time to fix20:54
chrisccoulsoneach time an app calls app_indicator_set_menu, a new fallback timer is created, and when it times out, it seems to flip the visibility of the icon20:55
chrisccoulsonwhich is causing a flashing icon in gpm20:55
chrisccoulsonanyway, brb, i need to power down laptop to take it off the dock20:55
=== dpm-afk is now known as dpm
didrockstime to go to bed, good night everyone20:55
LaserJocknight didrocks20:55
chrisccoulsonhey seb12820:58
chrisccoulsonhow are you?20:58
seb128hey chrisccoulson21:12
seb128just finished to dinner and wash dishes21:13
chrisccoulsonheh, i hate washing dishes ;)21:13
seb128chrisccoulson, you? how was your first day?21:13
seb128me too!21:13
seb128that's why I try to do it before going back to the computer21:13
chrisccoulsonyeah, i had a good first day thanks21:13
seb128otherwise I never come back to do that later :p21:13
seb128chrisccoulson, now you learn to stop working in the evening ;-)21:14
TheMusoGood morning.21:14
seb128hey TheMuso21:14
chrisccoulsonheh, yeah, i'll try to!21:14
seb128I had difficulties with that in my first years21:14
seb128well I still have in the evening21:14
seb128but I used to work during weekends too21:15
chrisccoulsonyeah, you're always around quite late21:15
seb128hard to stop working when you don't think that work is really work ;-)21:15
seb128I often do a some hours break for sport and dinner21:15
seb128then I come back rather than watching tv21:15
seb128or I watch tv with the laptop around21:16
chrisccoulsonyeah, i'm watching some TV at the moment21:16
Nafaiworking from home on something I like has definitely shifted the way I work21:16
NafaiAnd I definitely work more hours than I normally would have21:17
* TheMuso has made sure he follows a strict routine21:20
TheMusoAnd its working.21:20
NafaiYeah, I'm trying to get on one21:20
seb128you have to set limits21:20
TheMusoIf I am on in the evening, its for strictly community work only, i.e stuff thats not Canonical related work, like powerpc/ubuntustudio work.21:21
seb128I decided I would not work over 24 hours a day!21:21
Nafaiseb128: Great limit!21:21
seb128joke aside I tend to be around in the evening more chatting and doing some hackings on thing I want to do21:22
RAOFMorning all!21:28
brycehheya RAOF :-)21:29
TheMusoHey RAOF.21:32
RAOFTheMuso: Howdie.  Any joy with lbm?21:32
TheMusoRAOF: Not yet, need to solve alsa drivers not building against ppc64 kernel headers.21:32
TheMusoThats for tonight, or today if I get a spare minute to kick off a build of a 2.6.33 kernel to see if a newer kernel fixes it somehow.21:33
RAOFCool.  I guess another option is to simply not build the alsa drivers.21:33
TheMusoRAOF: Yeah, that requires a lot of fiddling with the build system though.21:34
seb128hey RAOF21:34
RAOFseb128: Good moring.  Or evening. :)21:34
chrisccoulsonbugs come faster than i can triage!21:59
RAOFThat's new? :)22:00
chrisccoulsondo i dare subscribe to firefox bugs?22:01
TheMusochrisccoulson: Welcome to my world.22:03
robert_ancellhey, who looks after thunderbird?22:05
seb128robert_ancell, hey, thanks for asking... :-)22:06
seb128robert_ancell, you can try #ubuntu-mozilla or asac but I guess nobody really or busy people who do what they can22:06
robert_ancellseb128, I thought it might be like that.  I tried looking at patching the mozilla apps at one time but they seem quite complex codebases22:07
* chrisccoulson ducks22:08
robert_ancell(the -compose flag to thunderbird is broken in 3.0)22:08
maxbOn a vaguely related note, is there some overall tracking for getting thunderbird extensions updated in time for lucid (ones that are currently uninstallable owing to 2->3) ?22:08
seb128chrisccoulson, don't worry that's not our default email client so I don't think you have to work on it ;-)22:08
chrisccoulsonseb128 - that's ok then22:08
seb128chrisccoulson, firefox bug, we all pretty much agreed there is too many bugs to read those22:09
seb128not especially speaking about firefox there22:09
seb128so we try to be better at building efficient bug lists22:09
seb128or getting annoying bugs out of the noise22:09
chrisccoulsonyeah, i had a look at subscribing to firefox bugs, but i already struggle to clear the bugmail from my inbox22:10
seb128you can still subscribe to firefox bugs I guess but don't try to fight the noise22:10
seb128just look to title for things you think might interest you22:10
seb128and trash everything else22:10
rickspencer3chrisccoulson, bryceh would be a good person to ask about how to get signal from the bug noise22:12
chrisccoulsonyeah, i see bryceh is quite efficient at dealing with X bugs22:13
brycehwhat's up?22:14
seb128bryceh, chrisccoulson is our new firefox maintainer and is looking for hint to deal with mountains of bugmails22:15
seb128or bugs reports I guess not especially emails22:15
brycehchrisccoulson, welcome aboard!22:17
chrisccoulsonthanks :)22:17
brycehyeah with X the bug mail is so heavy I just procmail it to an LP folder and mostly ignore it22:18
kklimondachrisccoulson: so that was the thing hggdh has talked about? congrats :)22:18
chrisccoulsonhey kklimonda22:18
chrisccoulsonyeah, thanks ;)22:18
hggdhwho said anything? I?22:18
brycehchrisccoulson, I've been making a bunch of scripts and tools to take care of bug triaging and bubbling good ones up to the top22:19
chrisccoulsonbryceh - https://edge.launchpad.net/arsenal ?22:20
brycehchrisccoulson, that's it22:20
chrisccoulsoncool, i'll take a look at this22:21
brycehchrisccoulson, I'm running a couple things for firefox you might be interested in right now, hang on22:21
brycehchrisccoulson, http://www2.bryceharrington.org:8080/X/Reports/mozilla-bugs/22:21
brycehoops, the first one's busted.  But I can fix it up if it sounds like something you'd use22:22
brycehchrisccoulson, the second one is really handy - shows patches in your team's queue and how long they've been there.22:22
chrisccoulsonyeah, i just noticed the first one has nothing in the list22:22
brycehchrisccoulson, http://www2.bryceharrington.org:8080/X/Reports/ubuntu-x-swat/high-karma-bugs.html22:23
brycehthe idea there is that bugs from people with high karma (5000+ I think) are more likely to be well-written bug reports than others22:23
chrisccoulsonyeah, i think that could be quite useful22:24
brycehchrisccoulson, another recent thing I've been playing with is tagging bugs by the release they were reported against (karmic, lucid), and then I'm making my reports only display bugs tagged lucid.  That cuts out all the reports made against the stable release that have to be re-tested against lucid22:24
brycehchrisccoulson, do you know if with firefox old bugs set to Incomplete are automatically being closed?22:27
brycehif not, is that something you'd be interested in having done?22:27
chrisccoulsonbryceh, i'm not sure about that. that's probably something that asac would know22:27
brycehwell, I imagine you're probably inundated with new-hire tasks at the moment.  But when you get to a point where you'd like to work on automating some bug triaging stuff, grab me and I can show you what I do22:29
chrisccoulsonthanks, that's appreciated22:29
Keybukdobey: in summary, if you start syncdaemon by default on every login, and it's as slow as it is right now23:26
KeybukI will get on a plane23:26
Keybukand then I will go to a rescue centre and buy you a kitten23:26
KeybukAnd then I will wait until you have fallen in love with that kitten23:27
KeybukAt whjch point I will break into your house and punch you in the face23:27
=== robbiew is now known as robbiew_

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!