=== Guest14243 is now known as temugen
=== jtimberman_ is now known as jtimberman
=== nxvl_ is now known as nxvl
ari-tczewbdrung_: why you didn't use syncpackage? bug 64140909:34
ubottuLaunchpad bug 641409 in libaqbanking (Ubuntu) "Please sync libaqbanking-data (4.2.4-2) from debian sid main" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/64140909:34
persiaari-tczew, While I can't answer on behalf of another, I hope the answer is because it's a bad idea, and complicates things for the archive-admins.09:46
persia(as these are true and reasonable reasons not to use syncpackage)09:46
ari-tczewpersia: I'm a fresh sponsor and I'm learning, so I'm asking why just that instead otherwise. It's only my curious.09:48
persiaI don't know all the details, but it's related to potential for issues, some data stored on the archive master, some bandwidth waste, etc.09:53
persiaI do know that the reason we ask archive-admins to perform syncs has never been because we couldn't just upload them if we wanted.09:53
persia(and in certain situations, where all the archive admins were busy (and said so in -devel) this was happening even back in Dapper (and perhaps before, but I wasn't paying as close attention before that).09:54
persiaThere's some more work that needs to happen in LP so that we can do it properly: it's really close, but not quite done.09:54
wgrantIt's now on the roadmap.09:55
persia(then we just get a LP interface that lets us select something in some other place (Debian experimental/unstable/testing/stable OR a PPA or whatever), and press the "sync" button (although we'll probably have API access before there is a UI)09:55
wgrantIt's part of the immediately scheduled block of work, I believe.09:55
persiaOh cool!09:55
wgrantDerivative distros need it.09:55
wgrantAnd Linaro needs derivative distros.09:56
persiaVery much so.09:56
persiaDid someone write the changelog import tool yet, or is there still yak shaving to accomplish?09:56
wgrantSo Ubuntu will become a derivative of Debian, and MoM will be replaced by an in-LP UI with a sync button.09:56
wgrantI wrote it a few months ago, but it hasn't been run yet.09:56
persiaOh, thanks for taking care of that :)  Any idea when it might be run?09:56
wgrantWhen I convince people that it isn't going to be too heavy to run.09:57
persiaSo in November then.  Sounds like a good plan.09:57
persiaAre copyrights getting cleaned up also, or is that still future?09:58
persia(as there's an entire other body of work that would be eliminated by that)09:58
wgrantI really hope we can move them into the librarian.09:58
wgrantBut which cleanup were you talking about?09:58
persiaMoving them into librarian.09:58
persiaI would just think that it makes sense to run *one* import job over everything, rather than two.09:59
wgrantI forget when we started importing copyright files.09:59
persia(but maybe I should be talking to you about this in a different channel)09:59
wgrantIt may be long ago enough that it's not useful to import old ones.09:59
wgrantAnd moving them to the librarian is a separate thing.09:59
persiagiven the names on the code that touches that seciton, a very, very long time ago.10:00
wgrant(it just shuffles data around, whereas the changelog thing needs to unpack hundreds of thousands of source packages)10:00
persiaAh, so copyrights would be exported from the DB, rather than the packages?10:00
persiaThis makes sense, and is probably safer that way.  I can't imagine anyone really cares deeply about pre-Breezy copyright files (and they may already be in the DB anyway: I'm unsure)10:01
wgrantWe have copyright data for more packages than we have packages for.10:01
wgrantSince old PPA sources have been deleted.10:02
wgrantSo migrating by unpacking sources would result in less data than we have now.10:02
wgrantWhich is probably not a good thing.10:02
persiaCan you think of a reason to care about copyright/changelog for deleted sources?10:03
persia(If you can, moving to librarian is wrong for other reasons, even though there are probably terabytes of copyright data)10:03
wgrantI can't.10:03
wgrantBut I also don't much like deleting data.10:04
wgrantIt's far easier to delete it later than it is to revive it.10:04
persiaMakes sense, although I'd suggest it's probably only worth exporting copyright of packages that have source to librarian, but that's safely separate from the current primary requirements.10:05
=== Zic_ is now known as Zic
bdrung_ari-tczew: i didn't have the realname and email address and i was too tired to dig that out10:22
lucidfoxIf I want to ship a monochrome indicator icon for my upstream application, is it acceptable to have the upstream build system install icons to ubuntu-mono-dark/ubuntu-mono-light?10:53
persiaI'd probably do that in a distribution patch, simply to avoid forcing those directories on e.g. Fedora users.10:54
persiaBut really, the folks you want to ask are your maintainers from other distributions: we're a bit biased here :)10:54
vishpersia: but why would that be a problem for Fedora?  lucidfox is trying to get an icon which works with the ubuntu-mono-* themes , if user does not use those themes, or uses something other than that.. it shouldnt cause a problem the fallback icon is used or rather should be used [assuming lucidfox is upstream]10:56
lucidfoxThere will be a fallback non-monochrome icon in hicolor10:57
persiavish, Creates a potentially blocking directory with a potentially displeasing name that may end up with an icon in the icon cache.10:57
persiaSome folk get picky about wanting their filesystems clean.10:58
vishoh! yea..  ;)10:58
vish..if its in a -ubuntu1.deb , probably safer :)10:59
lucidfoxpersia> Maybe I could only install these icons if the application is compiled with libappindicator?11:00
lucidfoxor alternatively, if it detects that it's building on Ubuntu?11:00
persialucidfox, Not safe: someone else could install that.  How about only installing them if built with a --with-mono option?11:00
persiaAlso not safe, other distributions use the ubuntu-mono-dark and ubuntu-mono-light themes.11:01
lucidfoxThat would be something like WANT_MONOCHROME for cmake, but an explicit option sounds good to me11:01
persiaI'd recommend WANT_UBUNTU_MONO if you're going to drop it in the ubuntu-mono-* directories.11:02
persiaBecause other folks might want monochrome elsewhere.11:02
vishlets keep it WANT_UBUNTU_MONOCHROME!  "mono" ;p11:02
vishwe already had ubuflu ;)11:04
persiaThe theme is called "ubuntu-mono" the directories are "ubuntu-mono-*".  Adding "chrome" seems extra, but it doesn't matter that much.11:04
vishyea, i know but that would probably change once gnome3 lands with symbolic icon support11:05
vishthe themes would be merged and probably a new name , with more icons..11:06
persiahard for an upstream to keep up, really.11:06
vishyea, depending on how well the new icon theme plan goes.11:06
persiaHarvest seems down: can anyone remind me of a good source for Fedora patches?11:35
Bachstel1ebug 641810 is fixed upstream, but Debian squeeze/sid is also still using that version, should we push the patch to Debian and hope it makes it on time or proceed on our own?13:24
ubottuLaunchpad bug 641810 in freeciv (Ubuntu) "engineers forget progress when loading game" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/64181013:24
bilalakhtarWhat should I do if I want to sponsor a sync from a person who has made NO previous upload into ubuntu and has his e-mail address private?13:24
Bachstel1ethey're probably going to just use the new upstream version soon13:24
bilalakhtarI know it would be stupid to go and take the upload's credit on yourself13:24
geserBachstel1e: right now I'd probably suggest to proceed on our own13:35
=== Bachstel1e is now known as Bachstelze
geserbilalakhtar: I think you can do anything else as upload with your name on it13:36
bilalakhtar'kay, done13:42
ari-tczewcould someone look @copyright file? I'd know whether it's good with DEP5.13:54
ari-tczewtumbleweed: ^^13:55
tumbleweedari-tczew: it fixes the issues I'd brought up13:58
tumbleweedthere isn't a DEP5 lint tool yet13:58
tumbleweed(and the fromat hasn't been finalised yet13:59
ari-tczewdavidsansome: ping ^^14:00
ari-tczewdavidsansome: did you saw discuss above?14:01
ari-tczewdavidsansome: http://paste.ubuntu.com/495877/14:01
davidsansomeah ok, cool!14:02
ari-tczewdavidsansome: well, ask tumbleweed what we need to change for better14:11
bilalakhtarIsn't DEP-5 incomplete?14:20
bilalakhtarari-tczew, tumbleweed ^^14:20
tumbleweedbilalakhtar: it's still work in progress, yes14:20
tumbleweedbut getting quite popular14:20
bilalakhtartumbleweed: some time ago I read there 'This is still an experimental change, and at this time we don't aim to amend the debian policy'14:21
bilalakhtarso perhaps you should allow ari-tczew14:21
tumbleweedbilalakhtar: allow what?14:21
bilalakhtartumbleweed: allow the upload, the only thing blocking is the copyright, right?14:22
tumbleweedbilalakhtar: yes, it's still work in progress, it isn't debian policy.14:23
tumbleweedbilalakhtar: I'm not blocking his upload, I just told him that I didn't think what he had was valid14:23
bilalakhtarah okay14:25
* bilalakhtar has 4 pending uploads in REVU, will upload early in the natty cycle14:26
ari-tczewtumbleweed: I'm working with davidsansome, could you suggest what is still wrong?14:26
tumbleweedari-tczew: I don't think there's anything wrong any more14:26
tumbleweedyou only need one blank line between blocks14:26
ari-tczewdavidsansome: ^^14:27
tumbleweedI'm not sure if spaces are allowed in licence short names14:27
davidsansomeon it14:27
ari-tczewtumbleweed: could you suggest me what could I improve in get-orig-source?14:38
kklimondatumbleweed: hey, can you sponsor hamster-applet, now, that gnome-python is fixed?14:39
tumbleweedkklimonda: can you ping me in the bug, I can't do it right now14:40
tumbleweedbut the bugmail will remind me14:40
ari-tczewdavidsansome: what do you think about tumbleweed suggestion about: Description: "Features includes" -> "Features". "Features include" (which would be the correct concordance) can’t lead into any of the bulleted items. The first paragraph of the description could also use some work, it assumes one knows what amarok is.14:51
tumbleweedari-tczew: I'll have a look at your get-orig-source14:53
tumbleweedsorry I can't really sit down and do too much right now14:54
davidsansomeari-tczew: yeah that description does suck a bit atm14:56
tumbleweedif you want to avoid being papercut-patched :)14:57
bilalakhtartumbleweed: There is a package which I have been uploading since it was included in Ubuntu. Infact, I got it into Ubuntu. Package is not in Debian. I am XSBC-Original-Maintainer. Should I change maintainer to myself?14:59
bilalakhtarI will change it to my ubuntu.com address14:59
tumbleweedbilalakhtar: get it into debian :)15:00
bilalakhtartumbleweed: they rejected it because of its name15:00
bilalakhtartumbleweed: package is gnome-media-player15:01
tumbleweedpresumably that is something that can be improved?15:01
bilalakhtartumbleweed: According to Debian gnome-media-player is a misleading name15:03
tumbleweedari-tczew: debian policy says " and leaves it in the current directory." re get orig source15:03
tumbleweedbilalakhtar: it is a misleading name15:03
bilalakhtarthe replies to devs just a day after I uploaded this to mentors.d.n was shocking, since I had already got this one into Ubuntu15:03
bilalakhtarthe upstream name is misleading :)15:04
tumbleweedari-tczew: instead of hardcoded wget, you can use something like: uscan --noconf --force-download --rename --download-version=$$VER --destdir=.15:04
ari-tczewtumbleweed: blink! I'll pack stable 0.5 release (will be released tomorrow) and it won't be repacked.15:05
tumbleweedbilalakhtar: in that case you probably have to rename it (and that's a good reason to upload to debian first)15:06
tumbleweedari-tczew: fantastic :)15:06
ari-tczewso get-orig-source will be obsolete15:06
bilalakhtartumbleweed: What would you suggest? This is the upstream name!15:06
davidsansome0.5 will be today at this rate :)15:06
tumbleweeddavidsansome: heh15:06
tumbleweedbilalakhtar: you can tell the upstream "your name is considered too generic and misleading by debian, please consider renaming to something unique"15:07
ari-tczewdavidsansome: 0.5 source doesn't include .dll files, right?15:07
ari-tczewwell, everything is clear. I have to update bazaar branch after release 0.5 version.15:08
ari-tczewthanks for discuss tumbleweed and davidsansome15:08
tumbleweedari-tczew, davidsansome: cool15:09
=== hanska is now known as dapal
fabrice_sptumbleweed, could you have a look at the patch I proposed in Debian Bug 592714?17:06
ubottuDebian bug 592714 in creoleparser "creoleparser: FTBFS without Python 2.5: lib directory in python and in debian/rules does not match" [Important,Open] http://bugs.debian.org/59271417:06
bilalakhtarangelabad: Any news on bug #596913 ?17:14
ubottuLaunchpad bug 596913 in matchbox-window-manager (Ubuntu) "Sync matchbox-window-manager 1.2-4 (universe) from Debian unstable (main)" [Undecided,Incomplete] https://launchpad.net/bugs/59691317:14
angelabadbilalakhtar, im reading the mail now :-D17:15
angelabadsorry I forgot this bug, but I will mark as invalid, at the moment i think is too dificult for me17:15
angelabadand remove comment in M-O-M17:15
angelabadbilalakhtar, done, thanks for the advice!17:20
bilalakhtarangelabad: That's fine, but in the future if there is any such bug on which you cannot work , then please inform about that ASAP17:20
bilalakhtarThis bug was filed much before FeatureFreeze17:20
angelabadyes, sorry, I note for future17:21
bilalakhtarand now it wouldn't be too good to get this one merged, but I shall see, and if I find it fit, then go ahead, or wait for natty to open17:21
bilalakhtarno problem17:21
angelabadok, I hope you can merge it17:23
PotcFdkHello. I have got BIG problems building .deb (source??-)packages and host them on launchpad.17:49
PotcFdkThe most tutorials are "too far"...17:49
PotcFdkIs there a REALLY good one, which describes _everthing_ ("noob-safe")? I need something that starts just after finishing my (hello-world-)program.17:51
PotcFdkIt should explain what I need to do with my .c/.cpp file to host it on launchpad.net as a ppa...17:51
BachstelzePotcFdk: what do you want to package?17:53
Bachstelzeif you only have .c17:53
Bachstelzeor .cpp files, you'l have a lot of trouble17:53
Bachstelzeusing a makefile will make things much easier17:54
PotcFdkI want to host something (for the first test a hello-world program) on launchpad.17:54
PotcFdkI wrote it in c/c++17:54
PotcFdkNow I have got a source (main.cpp) and a binary17:54
PotcFdkLaunchpad requires a source-package or something like that. But how to create one? (No, don't post a link to a tutorial, I've read them all, and they are too complicated)17:55
Bachstelzeyou need to read up about make17:55
Bachstelzeit's not difficult, but not trivial either17:55
PotcFdkIsn't there a _GOOD_ tutorial which describes a HelloWorld's way from the end of it's coding to launchpad?17:56
PotcFdkmhh :(17:56
Bachstelzenot that I know of, at least17:57
Bachstelzeall packaging tutorials assume you have a makefile of sorts17:57
Bachstelzefor C code at least17:57
PotcFdkthat's my problem....17:57
Bachstelzeyou'll have to learn to use makefiles anyway17:58
Bachstelzeunless you plan to do hello world all your life17:58
PotcFdkI found a Hello-World debian file, where the source-code was written in C (single file). I first thought: "okay, this one should be simple", but when I opened the example makefile, there was much crap just like "DISTFILES = $(DIST_COMMON) $(DIST_SOURCES) $(TEXINFOS) $(EXTRA_DIST)". I mean, what the f***?17:59
ari-tczewwhat's the command for sign dsc file? I use debuild -S and I want sponsor one patch18:00
PotcFdkCould be  "debsign [options] [changes-file|dsc-file|commands-file ...]", but I'm not shure18:02
BachstelzePotcFdk: this is really not a matter of packaging, it is a matter of proper project management18:03
Bachstelzeyou should have a lot of tutorials about that, but they won't be debian-spacific18:03
Bachstelzebecause it's unrelated18:03
PotcFdkBachstelze: What do you mean by "project management"?18:03
Bachstelzewhat I mean is that no project consists of a single .c file, so everyone uses makefiles (or something similar) to build the program18:05
Bachstelzeas opposed to running cc on all of them18:05
PotcFdkBachstelze: Are there automatic makefile (.deb-file ?) creators/generators/assistants?18:05
Bachstelzethere are autotools18:05
Bachstelzebut it's not a cick-and-run thing, you have some homework to do18:06
PotcFdkcould you please tell me a name of one of these autotools?18:06
BachstelzeI should have said "there is autotools", it's a suite of tools18:07
Bachstelzeautoconf and automake, mostly18:07
LaneyThat stuff isn't related to Debian packaging though. Look in the debian/ subdirectory for that.18:09
PotcFdkJust to make it sure: Debian is compatible to Ubuntu, right?18:09
BachstelzeLaney: yes, that's what I've been saying18:13
BachstelzePotcFdk: probbly, define "compatible"?18:13
PotcFdktutorials on how to build .deb packages also work for ubuntu?18:17
ari-tczewpbuilder will give you .deb file18:35
=== andreas_ is now known as anoteng
matttbeIs someone can sponsor an update of Cairo-Dock into Ubuntu Maverick?19:08
asantoniHey guys, we (mixxx devs) just found out our mixxx package in universe for 10.10 is missing a dependency on libqt4-sql-sqlite, so it doesn't work for anyone with a clean install :O19:08
ubottuLaunchpad bug 638527 in cairo-dock (Ubuntu) "Please update cairo-dock to the final 2.2.0 version " [Undecided,New]19:09
ubottuLaunchpad bug 638529 in cairo-dock-plug-ins (Ubuntu) "Please update cairo-dock-plug-ins to the final 2.2.0 version" [Undecided,New]19:09
matttbeEverything should be ok! I've uploaded a new revision on a personal branch. It just needs to be merged to the main branch.19:09
Bachstelzeasantoni: have you filed a bug?19:11
asantoniBachstelze: oops, sorry: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mixxx/+bug/64223219:14
ubottuLaunchpad bug 642232 in mixxx (Ubuntu) "Missing libqt4-sql-sqlite dependency" [Undecided,New]19:14
asantoniit's like a one-line fix in the debian control file, right? How do you add runtime (not build) depdencencies to a package?19:14
asantoni(Qt's sqlite plugin is loaded at runtime)19:15
Bachstelzehmm I need to install some dependencies to build the source package19:25
Bachstelzegotta run for dinner, I'll look at it later19:25
asantoniThanks a lot Bachstelze!19:29
fabrice_spHi asantoni19:37
fabrice_spwrong ping19:37
fabrice_sphi lostis19:38
lostisi have packaged a new java program how do i get it into universe?19:38
lostishow exactly?19:39
BlackZlostis: why don't you get it in Debian first?19:39
fabrice_sp!revu | lostis19:40
ubottulostis: REVU is a web-based tool to give people who have worked on Ubuntu packages a chance to "put their packages out there" for other people to look at and comment on in a structured manner. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Packages/REVU19:40
lostiscan you give me one page to start with plz ;)19:40
fabrice_spbut as BlackZ said, Debian would be more easy19:40
BlackZlostis: http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/welcome19:41
lostiswow im am impressed for the help, i am first time in a irc ;)19:41
Laneylostis: I recommend you join #debian-java on OFTC and talk to the people there19:43
lostisokey, thank you guys19:44
fabrice_spgood luck19:44
Bachstelzeari-tczew: freeciv needs testing, I had to modify the patch to make it apply cleanly19:57
ari-tczewBachstelze: could you test it?19:57
BachstelzeI don't play freeciv so it would take a while before I figure out how it works19:58
Bachstelzethe person who reported the bug can test it probably19:58
ari-tczewBachstelze: package built fine.19:58
bilalakhtarari-tczew: Good to see you sponsoring so much!20:02
vishbilalakhtar: jealous, are ya?  ;p20:03
ari-tczewbilalakhtar: hehe nothing strange20:03
bilalakhtarvish: no ! Don't take it the other way!20:03
=== yofel_ is now known as yofel
Bachstelzeasantoni1: if you are i386, I have a fixed package on my PPA for testing21:54
Bachstelzeamd64 is still waiting to build >.>21:54
asantoni1Bachstelze: link? I can pass it along to the person who reported the problem22:28
Bachstelze+mixxx (1.8.0+dfsg-0ubuntu2) maverick; urgency=low22:28
Bachstelze+  * debian/control: Add a run-time dependency on libqt4-sql-sqlite22:28
Bachstelze+    (LP: #642232)22:28
Bachstelze+ -- Firas Kraiem <firas@fkraiem.org>  Sat, 18 Sep 2010 20:21:32 +020022:28
Bachstelzehttps://launchpad.net/~firas/+archive/ppa <=22:28
Bachstelzeseems to work fine to me22:29
Bachstelzewell, at least it starts :p22:29
BachstelzeI can't see what could go wrong but oh well22:29
=== s1aden is now known as sladen
ari-tczewBachstelze: are you interested in merging packages from Debian?23:45

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!