=== ailo_ is now known as help
=== jjohansen is now known as jj-afk
=== yofel_ is now known as yofel
=== starcraftman is now known as starcraft-ntbk
=== starcraft is now known as starcraftman
MootBotMeeting started at 09:00. The chair is cjwatson.15:00
MootBotCommands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]15:00
* pitti waves15:00
cjwatsonno Keybuk (we should really rearrange the meeting time; what's that blocked on)?15:00
sabdflhello folks15:00
sabdfli'm unexpectedly present15:00
cjwatsonsabdfl: oh, hello, can you chair then? :)15:01
sabdflbut only briefly :-(15:01
cjwatsonmaybe not, if only briefly15:01
sabdflcan chair the first 30 minutes, not sure that's good enough15:01
mdzcjwatson, I can if it's not convenient for you15:01
keessabdfl: if only briefly, we should cover meeting time change and bug 374900 at the front15:01
ubottuLaunchpad bug 374900 in faac (Ubuntu) "Libfaac not LGPL" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/37490015:01
mdzsounds good to me15:02
sabdfli don't have much to add to the time change15:02
sabdflif it's good for mdz, it's good for me15:02
pittiwhat was the doodle URL again?15:02
cjwatson[TOPIC] Meeting times15:02
MootBotNew Topic:  Meeting times15:02
pittiah, http://www.doodle.com/44mg7x3e84qtqahw15:02
MootBotLINK received:  http://www.doodle.com/44mg7x3e84qtqahw15:02
cjwatsonsorry, I need to fill that in15:03
cjwatsonif sabdfl can take over chairing, I can do that right now15:03
MootBotMeeting finished at 09:03.15:03
keescjwatson: if you can do UTC 1800 on thursday, we can short-circuit it.15:03
MootBotMeeting started at 09:04. The chair is sabdfl.15:04
MootBotCommands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]15:04
sabdfl[TOPIC]  Meeting times15:04
MootBotNew Topic:   Meeting times15:04
pittiright, that seems to be the only time where all of us have no red15:04
cjwatsonargh, how do I provide a name on that doodle?15:06
sabdfl"Your name"?15:06
cjwatsonoh yes, hidden off to the left :)15:06
cjwatsonsubmitted mine.  1800 on Thu is kind of sucky but tolerable.15:07
keesI think it's literally the only non-red time.15:07
sabdflok, proposal: Thurs 8pm UTC15:07
cjwatson8pm is worse for me15:07
keesmdz: but you need to change the alternating week?15:07
mdzsabdfl, that is significantly worse according to the doodle15:07
keessabdfl: 6pm not 8pm. 180015:07
sabdfl[VOTE] Proposal: Thursday 1800 UTC15:08
MootBotPlease vote on:  Proposal: Thursday 1800 UTC.15:08
MootBotPublic votes can be registered by saying +1/-1/+0 in the channel, private votes by messaging the channel followed by +1/-1/+0  to MootBot15:08
MootBotE.g. /msg MootBot +1 #ubuntu-meeting15:08
mdzkees, 1800 UTC is fine for me15:08
MootBot+1 received from mdz. 1 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 115:08
MootBot+1 received from pitti. 2 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 215:08
MootBot+1 received from kees. 3 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 315:08
MootBot+1 received from cjwatson. 4 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 415:08
sabdfl(sorry, i was looking at South African times)15:08
MootBot+1 received from sabdfl. 5 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 515:08
MootBotFinal result is 5 for, 0 against. 0 abstained. Total: 515:08
sabdfl[AGREED] Thursday 1800 UTC15:08
MootBotAGREED received:  Thursday 1800 UTC15:08
mdzsomeone needs an action to update the calendar etc.15:08
sorenSo this is just until DST starts kicking in, right?15:09
keessoren: 1800 UTC. no DST15:09
mdzlast I checked it was pinned to UTC15:09
sabdflit kicks in differently in different places15:09
sorensabdfl: Exactly my concern.15:09
mdzit's marginally less confusing that way15:09
keessoren: that's why we moved it to UTC a few months back.15:09
cjwatsonand the UK is currently talking about moving to CET :-/15:09
keesmdz: who has access to the calendar?15:10
mdzkees, I think all of us except scott15:10
keesI'll take it then to learn where it is.15:11
sorenI understand it's less confusing. It's just that this time slot is right next to a bunch of red. Once everyone's clock moves by an hour..15:11
sorenBut I guess that's a problem for a couple of months from now :)15:11
mdz[action] kees to update the calendar with the new meeting time15:12
sabdflthey can't possibly move to CET. I just concessioned a coconut farm because it was on UTC!15:12
sabdfl[action] kees to update the calendar with the new meeting time15:12
MootBotACTION received:  kees to update the calendar with the new meeting time15:12
pitticjwatson: we have become good at providing tzdata updates.. :)15:12
sabdflnext topic? the bug?15:12
sabdfl[TOPIC] Launchpad bug 374900 in faac (Ubuntu) "Libfaac not LGPL"15:13
MootBotNew Topic:  Launchpad bug 374900 in faac (Ubuntu) "Libfaac not LGPL"15:13
ubottuLaunchpad bug 374900 in faac (Ubuntu) "Libfaac not LGPL" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/37490015:13
kees(soren: it's only red for mdz, afaict the time would just move later not earlier, yes?)15:14
sorenkees: Yes, you're right.15:14
mdzso as of the last meeting, it seemed like the status was that kees felt there was likely an issue15:15
mdz"it looks pretty clearly like the encoder package need to be removed"15:15
keesbased on the bug, year15:15
keeser, yeah15:15
mdzColin had the ball, but has had higher priority work and hadn't gotten to it yet15:15
cjwatsonI originally took an action for this, but sunk into a pit of despair; it's one of those where users are clamouring for it, but I saw mails (which I can't find now) from copyright holders of LGPLed code saying they felt it to be an infringement15:16
mdzthe bug really needs a summary update15:16
cjwatsonand I got stuck in "oh god I don't want to deal with this", for which I apologise15:16
cjwatsonthe bug is full of confusion between redistributability and software-patents15:17
mdzwell, one could argue that this is not a technical issue, but I don't know who we'd give it to15:17
sabdfli can relate! but if we tease out the patent issues, is there a genuine licensing issue?15:17
mdzif a copyright holder feels there is, then likely yes15:18
cjwatsonmy understanding is that there is a licensing issue for anything GPLed that links to ffmpeg15:18
cjwatsonI'm not sure about for ffmpeg itself in isolation15:18
cjwatsonAFAICS there shouldn't be a problem with linking code under that licence with LGPLed code15:19
mdzthe license at the top of tns.c is rather ambiguous15:19
mdzif you could even call it a license15:20
cjwatsonin comment 13, james_w says "due to the conflict between the LGPL and this license"15:20
cjwatsonI can't see the conflict; you can link LGPLed code with practically anything, by design15:20
cjwatsonunless I'm misunderstandidng15:20
mdz"The original developer retains15:21
mdzfull right to use the code for his/her own purpose, assign or donate15:21
mdzthe code to a third party and to inhibit third party from using the15:21
mdzthat last bit about inhibiting third parties from using the code doesn't sound ideal15:21
cjwatsonit certainly can't go to main/universe with that licence15:21
mdzright, but it's already in multiverse15:21
sabdflno, but then we haven't heard from the developer, and every indication is that they have no objection to its use in conforming products15:22
mdzthe conflict is attributed to "#gnu"15:22
cjwatson(certainly can't> field of endeavour restriction)15:22
sabdflyou can understand why they would write something like that, after shallow analysis "we are making this available to help further the standard not fragment it"15:23
cjwatsonI can understand it but that doesn't mean it meets our guidelines for main/universe :)15:23
mdzso the claimed issue is that libfaac may be GPL-incompatible?15:23
mdznot LGPL-incompatible15:23
sabdflcjwatson: agreed15:23
cjwatsonI don't think that's the *claimed* issue in the bug, but that's the only one I can tease out15:23
cjwatsonwhich suggests to me that libfaac should remain in multiverse and we should audit to ensure that nothing under the GPL links to it15:24
mdzI think the initial "LGPL-incompatible" may be a typo; I don't see any supporting evidence15:24
mdzcjwatson, that's my preliminary assessment15:24
=== duanedesign is now known as evilduanedesign
mdzcjwatson, also, the copyright file may be wrong15:25
mdzyes, the copyright file is wrong15:25
=== evilduanedesign is now known as duanedesign
mdzit says GPL15:25
mdzbut COPYING is the LGPL15:26
mdzand some files have other licenses as shown in the bug15:26
mdzI don't know if there is actually any GPL code in it15:26
mdz- stays in universe15:26
mdz- copyright file gets fixed15:26
cjwatson*stays in multiverse15:26
mdzcjwatson, yes, sorry15:26
mdz- handled as GPL-incompatible15:26
mdzdoes that cover it?15:27
keessounds reasonable to me15:27
cjwatsonI think so15:27
sabdfli don't think we need to vote15:29
sabdflcan i document that as agreed?15:29
mdzlet's put it in the bug and see if anything comes back15:29
mdzsince we're not entirely sure that we understood the whole issue15:30
sabdfl[ACTION] mdz to update the bug with a proposed handling15:30
MootBotACTION received:  mdz to update the bug with a proposed handling15:30
sabdfl[TOPIC] Any other business?15:30
MootBotNew Topic:  Any other business?15:30
Laneycan someone action the DMB changes?15:30
mdzsabdfl, there are outstanding actions from the last meeting which were skipped over to get to the meeting time discussion early15:31
pittiLaney: which ones?15:32
sabdflok. can I hand over to another chair?15:32
sabdflrather than ending and restarting the meeting, we could trade nicks ;-)15:32
mdzthat would be more confusing15:32
* cjwatson doesn't want sabdfl's private messages :-P15:32
sabdflbut entertaining :-)15:32
Laneypitti: there was an election, and now are new members that need adding to the team15:32
sabdflthanks all15:32
cjwatsonsabdfl: "#endmeeting"15:32
MootBotMeeting finished at 09:32.15:32
sabdflthanks again :-)15:32
MootBotMeeting started at 09:32. The chair is cjwatson.15:32
MootBotCommands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]15:32
cjwatsonI'll take over then15:32
* kees hopes that mootbot looks at more than just nick15:33
cjwatsonso yes, there was a DMB election; I'll just dig up the log15:33
MootBotLINK received:  http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/02/14/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t12:1615:33
cjwatsonthe effect of this is that Iain Lane and Mackenzie Morgan replace Soren Hansen and Colin Watson15:34
cjwatson[TOPIC] DMB changes15:34
MootBotNew Topic:  DMB changes15:34
cjwatsonif there are no objections, I can make those changes to the LP team15:35
cjwatsonoh, there are expired members too; Emmet Hikory, Michael Bienia, St├ęphane Graber, and Cody Somerville should be reinstated15:35
pittiI thought their memberships were temporarily extended15:36
mdzcjwatson, my action above is done: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-community/+bug/374900/comments/3915:37
ubottuUbuntu bug 374900 in faac (Ubuntu) "Libfaac not LGPL" [High,Triaged]15:37
cjwatsonpitti: they were, until the last DMB meeting :)15:38
keesmdz: oh, you meant the canonical calendar? what about the fridge?15:38
mdzkees, it's on the Ubuntu Engineering calendar, with an invitation extended to the fridge calendar (so it's the same event)15:38
mdzCIVS results are at http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/cgi-perl/civs/results.pl?id=E_924ef5b8e9f6d03b15:39
mdzI see no reason why cjwatson should not go ahead and update LP with those results15:39
cjwatson[ACTION] cjwatson to update LP in light of DMB election15:40
MootBotACTION received:  cjwatson to update LP in light of DMB election15:40
cjwatson[TOPIC] Action review15:40
MootBotNew Topic:  Action review15:40
cjwatsonmdz - Review ubuntu-drivers membership and make sure it includes (only) people who need to manage blueprints15:40
mdzso the members are:15:40
mdzAlexander Sack15:40
mdzCanonical Ubuntu QA Team15:40
mdzColin Watson15:40
mdzDavid Barth15:40
mdzDavid Mandala15:40
mdzJoshua Hoover15:40
mdzKate Stewart15:40
mdzMark Shuttleworth15:40
mdzPete Graner15:40
mdzRobbie Williamson15:40
mdzSebastien Bacher15:40
mdzSteve Langasek15:40
mdzUbuntu Technical Board15:40
mdzUDS Organizers15:40
mdzthe only one which looks out of place to me is the QA team15:40
mdzremoving the QA team will have the side effect that they will no longer be able to change the bug reporting guidelines for Ubuntu as a whole15:41
mdz(though they will continue to be able to update package-specific guidelines)15:41
keesmdz: I don't have permissions to change that calendar. "You can: See all event details"15:41
mdzthe bug for that is apparently https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/70300215:41
ubottuUbuntu bug 703002 in Launchpad itself "distributions have no +configure-bugtracker link" [Low,Triaged]15:41
mdzkees, fixed15:41
mdzthe last time I asked bdmurray, he said it would probably be best if we didn't do it until that is fixed15:42
mdzsome of the memberships are redundant and could be cleaned up, e.g. Colin and Mark are in TB15:42
pittimdz: "didn't do" -> "keep CQA team"? I agree15:43
mdzpitti, right15:43
pittimdz: I'd rather keep them in explicitly15:43
pittiin case Colin ever loses his TB hat, he'd still be an ubuntu-driver due to him being a tech lead15:43
cjwatsonI also generally feel that it should be explicit that some people have those privileges in their own right15:43
cjwatson(why doesn't pitti have that hat, incidentally?)15:44
pittiI'm in uds-organizers, I think15:44
pittias I prepared the karmic and lucid UDS desktop bits15:44
mdzmost engineering managers are members via uds-organizers as well15:45
mdzanyway I think this action is as done as it can be15:45
pittiI think so, too; it looks reasonable enough to me, modulo some minor inconsistency/redundancy15:45
mdzcjwatson, given we already made the other changes and nobody has complained of breakage, I think we can skip the announcement15:46
cjwatsonwell, skaet had one complaint15:46
cjwatsonshe can't edit milestones in stable releases (any more?)15:46
cjwatsonbut this is blocked on getting that LP bug fixed15:46
kees(cjwatson: I've updated the calendar entry now, so that can be marked as "done")15:47
mdzcjwatson, which releases?15:47
mdzcan't we just make sure the release manager is set appropriately for those series?15:47
cjwatsonlucid.  no, because that would remove the ability of ubuntu-core-dev to target bugs to that release, until such time as that LP bug is fixed.15:47
cjwatsonkees: thanks15:47
mdzcjwatson, which LP bug?15:48
cjwatsonI don't have it to hand; it should be in the records of our discussion in Dallas15:48
bdmurrayactually the problem with removing the CQA team from ubuntu-drivers is that we wouldn't be able to approve bug nominations for releases15:48
cjwatsonso that's the same bug15:48
cjwatsonwe identified it in Dallas and raised it through Jono Lange15:49
pittibug 451390 I think15:49
ubottuLaunchpad bug 451390 in Launchpad itself "limited upload rights no longer give series nomination accept/decline rights" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/45139015:49
cjwatsonthanks, that's the one15:49
pittimdz: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaunchpadPermissions has the summary, FYI15:49
mdzpitti, yeah, i was just looking at that15:49
mdzseries RM = ubuntu-core-dev doesn't sound right, since that excludes skaet15:50
cjwatsonmdz: it's a workaround for bug 45139015:50
ubottuLaunchpad bug 451390 in Launchpad itself "limited upload rights no longer give series nomination accept/decline rights" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/45139015:50
cjwatsonthat series RM setting dates back a long way, and was to ensure that core-dev could target bugs15:50
pittimdz: that's what "what we would like to do" changes15:50
pittimdz: indeed it's not right15:51
mdzpitti, can you reference 451390 in 174375?15:51
cjwatsononce core-dev can target bugs via their upload privileges, we will no longer need that workaround15:51
cjwatsonuntil then, we need it15:51
mdzpitti, oh right15:51
mdzso 174375 just needs a comment to that effect and then we are back to wait mode15:51
pittimdz: will do15:51
cjwatson451390 is not the CQA problem, although it's sort of similar15:51
mdzpitti, thanks much15:51
cjwatsonbdmurray: is there a bug for giving CQA that access without requiring them to be in ubuntu-drivers?15:51
mdzcjwatson, I understood bug 703002 to be that bug, though it is not at all obvious by looking at it15:52
ubottuLaunchpad bug 703002 in Launchpad itself "distributions have no +configure-bugtracker link" [Low,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/70300215:52
mdzthis is based on the logs from the last meeting where bdmurray pointed to that bug15:52
bdmurraycjwatson: no, my thought has been that there would be a release-manager team set as the release-manager and CQA would be part of that team15:53
mdz08-02-2011 15:51:46 < bdmurray!~bdmurray@vinyl.outflux.net: its bug 70300215:53
mdz08-02-2011 15:51:47 < kees!~kees@ubuntu/member/keescook: bdmurray: ah, excellent. that was my memory too; do you have the bug # handy?15:53
pittimdz: (done)15:53
bdmurraymdz: that bug 703002 is something that can't happen now that the owner of Ubuntu was set to the tech board15:53
ubottuLaunchpad bug 703002 in Launchpad itself "distributions have no +configure-bugtracker link" [Low,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/70300215:53
mdzbdmurray, gah, so I've confused things further in the bug15:53
cjwatsonok, we could add CQA to ubuntu-release, I expect15:54
cjwatsononce 451390 is fixed so that we can actually use ubuntu-release in that slot15:54
cjwatsonso that means that 451390 really is the blocker for everything15:54
bdmurrayI agree - 703002 is just rather inconvenient15:55
mdzok, someone who understands what's going on please update the bug. I am obviously hopeless15:56
cjwatsonlet's move on15:58
cjwatsonAction: pitti to update g-s-t for new ntp pool15:58
pittijdstrand's part as well15:58
pittithe Narwhal has a better watch now15:59
cjwatsongotta have a funny-shaped watch15:59
cjwatson[TOPIC] Scan the mailing list archive for anything we missed (standing item)15:59
MootBotNew Topic:  Scan the mailing list archive for anything we missed (standing item)15:59
cjwatsonI looked, didn't see anything we haven't already covered15:59
cjwatson[TOPIC] Check up on community bugs (standing item)15:59
MootBotNew Topic:  Check up on community bugs (standing item)15:59
cjwatsononly the two we've covered15:59
cjwatson[TOPIC] AOB15:59
MootBotNew Topic:  AOB16:00
* mdz starts dialing into his next meeting16:00
cjwatsonI've applied the DMB changes to LP now16:00
* cjwatson is freeeeeeeee16:00
cjwatsonnext chair?16:01
keescjwatson: keybuk?16:01
cjwatsoneither me (if this one didn't count), or kees by nick rotation, or Keybuk by frequency16:01
cjwatsonperhaps Keybuk with the new meeting time16:02
pittithe last ones rotated between kees, cjwatson, and me, so I'll be fallback if Keybuk can't16:02
cjwatsonlet's ask Keybuk in the minutes16:02
keessounds good16:02
MootBotMeeting finished at 10:02.16:02
cjwatsongetting out of the server team's way16:02
cjwatsonthanks all16:02
pittithanks everyone16:02
Laneycjwatson: can you approve my DMB ML subscription too?16:02
MootBotMeeting started at 10:02. The chair is kirkland.16:02
MootBotCommands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]16:02
kirklandhowdy all16:03
kirkland[TOPIC] Review ACTION points from previous meeting16:03
MootBotNew Topic:  Review ACTION points from previous meeting16:03
cjwatsonLaney: no, I passed the keys for that to persia16:03
kirkland * zul to send e-mail to ubuntu-server ML requesting help for testing 10.04.2 ISOs16:03
hggdhsorry for the delay, latests natty updates killed my laptop16:03
kirklandhggdh: no worries, just getting started now16:04
zulnot done...it had to be kind of adhoc16:04
kirklandzul: ?16:04
kirklandzul: okay, no point in carrying though16:04
kirklandzul: as 10.04.2 is out16:04
kirklandzul: unless you want to get a headstart on asking for 10.04.3 testing?  :-)16:04
kirklandlooks like RoAkSoAx has not updated the agenda ....16:05
* kirkland will need to wing it16:05
kirkland[TOPIC] Natty Development16:05
kirklandrobbiew: ?16:05
MootBotNew Topic:  Natty Development16:05
robbiewburn downs look good...bug count is fine16:06
robbiewforge ahead16:06
SpamapSFF on Thursday right?16:06
robbiewif you think you need an FFE...talk to skaet16:06
SpamapSWhat features have we added this go 'round? I think we've done a lot in universe16:06
DavieyWe are actually looking pretty good on upstream versions we care about i think16:07
hggdhwarwarning to the adventurous: current ISO will not install16:07
DavieyThe two i was watching was libvirt and multipath-tools16:07
Davieyhallyn is cracking them out.16:07
* zul is doing a couple of merges today16:07
* SpamapS may attempt to finish an erlang merge today or tomorrow16:08
SpamapSzul: want to review/sponsor that for me tomorrow?16:08
zulSpamapS: sure16:08
kirklandanything else related to natty, or FeatureFreeze?16:08
zuli have a couple of reviews that people want me to do on the list as well16:09
DavieyCurrently daily, is not good.16:09
Davieycjwatson is on the case AIUI.16:09
hggdhbug 72314816:09
ubottuLaunchpad bug 723148 in debian-installer (Ubuntu) "Natty server ISO images fail to install" [High,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/72314816:09
Davieyfor us, i think we can consider it transitional16:10
hggdhyes, should (I hope) be resolved today16:10
kirklandso moving along ...16:10
kirkland[TOPIC] Ubuntu Server Team Events16:11
MootBotNew Topic:  Ubuntu Server Team Events16:11
kirklandrepeating last week:16:11
kirklandSCALE9x - Feb 25 - 27, Los Angeles (ClintByrum attending, DustinKirkland presenting)16:11
kirklandUKUUG Spring Conference - 22-24 March, ttx attending, talking OpenStack (and Ubuntu Server).16:11
kirklandanything else new to mention?16:11
kirklandperhaps UDS-O in Budapest?16:11
SpamapSI had a talk accepted at the MySQL UC in April.. but thats eons away16:11
zuloooh about what?16:11
SpamapS"Run Drizzle on Your Narwhal"16:11
kirklandMay 9-1316:11
kirklandSp4rKy: that's cool16:11
SpamapS< 3 months to figure out O .. which should be the alpha for server-P ;)16:12
kirkland[TOPIC] Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)16:12
MootBotNew Topic:  Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)16:12
kirklandhggdh: howdy, sir16:12
hggdhlast two weeks have been sort of weird, with kernel SRU tests, and 10.04.2 (also tests)16:13
hggdhso not much on the front16:13
hggdhexcept that Hudson -- er, Jenkins -- is cranking pretty good16:13
RoAkSoAxhggdh: you putting together the test-rig today for euca/powernap thingy?16:13
kirklandhggdh: great to hear about Hudkins16:14
hggdhRoAkSoAx: I will try, but I am not sure I can install anything there, no ISO will install16:14
SpamapShggdh: jhunt and I want to add some automated tests to the list for testing upstart job interaction.. I think we'll have to wait for UDS to fully spec it out tho16:14
SpamapSHudkins.. lol16:14
hggdhSpamapS: this would be marvelous. I think, right now, my official laptop is dead on an upstart issue16:14
Davieyhggdh, please don't touch the two boxes with short m names without pinging me.16:14
RoAkSoAxhggdh: no worries, just let me know whenever its ready. I'm pretty sure what are the issues if they are powernap's side16:15
hggdhRoAkSoAx: fantastic, and willco16:15
kirklandhggdh: anything else?16:15
hggdhkirkland: no, this is it16:15
kirkland[TOPIC] Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb)16:15
MootBotNew Topic:  Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb)16:16
kirklandsmb: howdy, sir16:16
smbkirkland, Hello sir16:16
smbWell actually not much newish from my side16:16
kirklandsmb: anything worth mentioning?16:16
kirklandor, does anyone have questions for the kernel team?16:16
smbCurrently trying to check up on some xfs regression16:16
smbOtherwise the things from last week wait for confirmation or me getting back to them16:17
hallynxfs regressions?  is there a bug#?16:17
smbbug 69284816:17
ubottuLaunchpad bug 692848 in linux (Ubuntu) "Regression between 2.6.32-27 and 2.6.32-26 xfsdump SGI_FS_BULKSTAT errno = 22" [Medium,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/69284816:17
smbpossibly affects older releases as well16:18
smbbut I failed on re-creating the failure16:18
smbso it is a bit hard to say16:18
SpamapSsmb: did we give up on reproducing the NFS issue?16:18
smbSpamapS, Which of the many?16:19
SpamapSbug 66129416:19
ubottuLaunchpad bug 661294 in linux (Ubuntu) "System lock-up when receiving large files (big data amount) from NFS server" [Medium,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/66129416:19
smbWe had failures on receiving large files, sending large files and I think other as well.16:19
SpamapSbug does seem a bit stalled as those affected have worked around it by bandwidth limiting their connections16:19
smbSpamapS, I think I asked in that bug about experience on a test kernel16:19
SpamapSOh right :)16:20
SpamapSok .. carry on.16:20
kirklandsmb: cool, thanks, anything else?16:20
* smb is done. :)16:20
kirkland[TOPIC] Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)16:20
kirklanddoesn't look like sommer is around16:20
MootBotNew Topic:  Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)16:20
kirkland[TOPIC] Weekly Updates & Questions from the Ubuntu Community16:20
MootBotNew Topic:  Weekly Updates & Questions from the Ubuntu Community16:21
kirklandanything here?16:21
kirklandkim0: howdy16:21
kim0We've got two new contributing members16:21
kim0following the JEos16:21
kirklandkim0: cool16:21
Davieykim0, names?16:21
kim0QA needs16:21
kim0um, I forwarded to robbiew and marjo16:22
kim0I can get the names later16:22
* Daviey drinks the jeos16:22
Davieykim0, Oh aye, thanks!16:22
kim0also we've kickstarted a project16:22
kim0for migrating UEC images16:22
kim0across AWS regions16:22
kim0that's being driven by a community member16:22
Davieykim0, were they are result of you blogging?16:22
kim0let me get a quick link16:22
DavieySo blogging seems more successful than the mailing list, perhaps16:23
kim0I'm shuffling "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEC/Images#preview" as we speak16:23
kim0to make it easier on the eye16:24
smoserkim0, woot!16:24
kim0that's mostly it16:24
kim0smoser: let me know if it looks better now .. still needs more polish though16:24
smoserwell, it certainliy could'nt look worse, now could it16:24
kim0tried grouping by what the user wants to do16:24
kim0public cloud16:24
kim0private cloud16:24
kim0local hypervisor16:24
kim0make your own images16:24
kim0and split too advanced usage16:25
kim0on their own pages16:25
kim0let me know if you think it needs siginificant restructuring16:25
kim0otherwise .. I'll polish it some more16:25
kim0for instance that huge graphic needs to be resized :)16:25
kirklandkim0: anything else?16:25
kim0nope thnx16:25
kirkland[TOPIC] Open Discussion16:26
MootBotNew Topic:  Open Discussion16:26
kirklandlet's have it16:26
Davieynothing here16:26
SpamapSKeep on rockin in the free world :)16:26
* RoAkSoAx wondering if anyone has any solutions for dual external monitors16:27
kirkland[TOPIC] Announce next meeting date and time16:27
MootBotNew Topic:  Announce next meeting date and time16:27
kirkland    Tuesday, March 1 2011 16:00 UTC16:28
MootBotMeeting finished at 10:28.16:28
smbkirkland, efficient driving :)16:28
SpamapSkirkland: thanks!16:28
kirklandsmb: heh16:28
=== jj-afk is now known as jjohansen
MootBotMeeting started at 11:00. The chair is bjf.17:00
MootBotCommands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]17:00
bjf[LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting17:00
bjf[LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/ReleaseStatus/Natty17:00
MootBotLINK received:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting17:00
MootBotLINK received:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/ReleaseStatus/Natty17:00
bjf# Meeting Etiquette17:00
bjf# NOTE: '..' indicates that you are finished with your input.17:00
bjf#       'o/' indicates you have something you'd like to add (wait until you are recognized)17:00
bjf[TOPIC] Release Metrics (JFo)17:00
MootBotNew Topic:  Release Metrics (JFo)17:00
JFoRelease Meeting Bugs (8 bugs, 10 Blueprints)17:00
JFo==== Alpha 3 Milestoned Bugs (56 across all packages (up 2)) ====17:00
JFo * 4 linux kernel bugs (up 1)17:00
JFo * 0 linux-ti-omap bugs (no change)17:00
JFo * 0 linux-meta-ti-omap bug (no change)17:00
JFo==== Release Targeted Bugs (265 across all packages (up 19)) ====17:00
JFo * 23 linux kernel bugs (up 1)17:00
JFo * 0 linux-ti-omap bugs (no change)17:00
JFo * 0 linux-meta-ti-omap bug (no change)17:00
JFo==== Milestoned Features ====17:00
JFo * 7 blueprints (Including HWE Blueprints)17:01
JFo==== Maverick Updates Bugs ====17:01
JFo * 72 Linux Bugs (up 17)17:01
JFo==== Lucid Updates Bugs ====17:01
JFo * 94 Linux Bugs (up 1)17:01
JFo==== Bugs with Patches Attached:98 (down 4) ====17:01
JFo * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.has_patch=on | Bugs with Patches]]17:01
JFo * [[http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ogasawara/csv-stats/bugs-with-patches/linux/ | Breakdown by status]]17:01
bjf[TOPIC] Blueprints: Natty Bug Handling (JFo)17:01
bjf[LINK] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/hardware-kernel-n-bug-handling17:01
MootBotNew Topic:  Blueprints: Natty Bug Handling (JFo)17:01
MootBotLINK received:  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/hardware-kernel-n-bug-handling17:01
JFonothing current to report17:01
bjf[TOPIC] Blueprints: Enhancements to the firmware test suite (cking)17:01
bjf[LINK] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/hardware-kernel-n-firmware-test-suite-enhancements17:01
MootBotNew Topic:  Blueprints: Enhancements to the firmware test suite (cking)17:01
MootBotLINK received:  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/hardware-kernel-n-firmware-test-suite-enhancements17:01
ckingLots of tidying up17:02
cking0.22.00 now in Natty universe17:02
bjf[TOPIC] Blueprints: Review of the Stable Maintenance Process (sconklin / bjf)17:02
bjf[LINK] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/hardware-kernel-n-stable-process-review17:02
MootBotNew Topic:  Blueprints: Review of the Stable Maintenance Process (sconklin / bjf)17:02
MootBotLINK received:  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/hardware-kernel-n-stable-process-review17:02
bjfThe Kernel Team's SRU report has moved out to a more publicly accessible location: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/reports/sru-report.html17:02
sconklin|| Last week all open fixes for all kernels were verified. This means that we're now17:02
sconklin|| in the Testing phase of the kernel SRU process. There are two reported regressions17:02
sconklin|| in Maverick which are being investigated. They are:17:02
sconklin|| https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/72121317:02
sconklin|| https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/72274717:02
ubottuUbuntu bug 721213 in linux (Ubuntu Maverick) "Regression: ThinkVantage key on a T61 laptop stopped working in 2.6.35-27.47" [High,Triaged]17:02
ubottuUbuntu bug 722747 in linux (Ubuntu) "Touchpad enable/disable hotkey broken in 2.6.35-27" [Critical,Triaged]17:02
sconklin|| Lucid and Maverick will receive testing from Certification and QA. We need testing from users17:02
sconklin|| for all other kernels, to at least insure that they boot and run. If you boot any of these kernels,17:02
sconklin|| please update the tracking bug for that kernel with the results. Tracking bugs can be found here:17:02
sconklin|| http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/reports/sru-report.html17:02
bjf[TOPIC] Status: Cert. Team  (ara)17:03
MootBotNew Topic:  Status: Cert. Team  (ara)17:03
araWe will be starting testing this week (tomorrow) the kernels for Maverick and Lucid17:03
araWe will finish and report back before March 1st17:03
bjf[TOPIC] Status: Ecryptfs (jj)17:04
MootBotNew Topic:  Status: Ecryptfs (jj)17:04
bjf[TOPIC] Status: Ecryptfs (jj)17:05
MootBotNew Topic:  Status: Ecryptfs (jj)17:05
jjohansen- took a bit of a detour last week with tyler exploring compression of filenames17:05
jjohansenstill waiting on full review17:05
bjftgardner, go17:06
tgardnerwe've definitely decided to postpoone long file names until after 11.04 ?17:06
jjohansentgardner: I believe so, dustin thinks its the way to go too17:07
tgardnerapw, not sure if I saw that in the wiki page updates17:07
apwtgardner, will check into it17:07
bjf[TOPIC] Status: Natty (apw)17:08
MootBotNew Topic:  Status: Natty (apw)17:08
jjohansentgardner: I believe it was left open pending upstream review, in case it did happen17:08
apwThe natty kernel is now at v2.6.38-4.31 (v2.6.38-rc5 based).  We have just rebased to v2.6.38-rc6 and uploaded, this should be in the archive before feature freeze. Overall we have most of our development out of the way, with just the ecryptfs long filename work ongoing.  We are currently concentrating on bug squashing for Natty.17:08
bjf[TOPIC] Security & bugfix kernels - Maverick/Lucid/Karmic/Hardy/Dapper (sconklin / bjf)17:08
MootBotNew Topic:  Security & bugfix kernels - Maverick/Lucid/Karmic/Hardy/Dapper (sconklin / bjf)17:08
sconklin|| Package                                    || Upd/Sec              || Proposed             ||  TiP || Verified ||17:08
sconklin||                                            ||                      ||                      ||      ||          ||17:08
sconklin|| dapper   linux-source-2.6.15               || 2.6.15-55.91         || 2.6.15-55.93         ||    0 ||        0 ||17:08
sconklin||                                            ||                      ||                      ||      ||          ||17:08
sconklin|| hardy    linux                             || 2.6.24-28.81         || 2.6.24-28.86         ||    0 ||        0 ||17:08
sconklin||                                            ||                      ||                      ||      ||          ||17:09
sconklin|| karmic   linux-fsl-imx51                   || 2.6.31-112.28        || 2.6.31-112.30        ||    1 ||        1 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux-ec2                         || 2.6.31-307.23        || 2.6.31-307.27        ||    0 ||        0 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux                             || 2.6.31-22.70         || 2.6.31-22.73         ||    0 ||        0 ||17:09
sconklin||                                            ||                      ||                      ||      ||          ||17:09
sconklin|| lucid    linux-ec2                         || 2.6.32-312.24        || 2.6.32-313.26        ||    8 ||        6 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux-ports-meta                  ||         ||         ||    0 ||        0 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux-mvl-dove                    || 2.6.32-211.27        || 2.6.32-214.30        ||    6 ||        6 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux-meta-mvl-dove               ||        ||        ||    0 ||        0 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux-lts-backport-maverick       || 2.6.35-23.41~lucid1  || 2.6.35-25.44~lucid1  ||    0 ||        0 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux-meta                        ||         ||         ||    0 ||        0 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux-firmware                    || 1.34.3               || 1.34.4               ||    0 ||        0 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux                             || 2.6.32-28.55         || 2.6.32-29.58         ||    6 ||        6 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux-fsl-imx51                   || 2.6.31-608.20        || 2.6.31-608.22        ||    1 ||        1 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux-backports-modules-2.6.32    || 2.6.32-28.27         || 2.6.32-29.28         ||    0 ||        0 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux-meta-ec2                    ||        ||        ||    0 ||        0 ||17:09
sconklin||                                            ||                      ||                      ||      ||          ||17:09
sconklin|| maverick linux-ports-meta                  ||         ||         ||    0 ||        0 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux-mvl-dove                    ||                      || 2.6.32-414.30        ||    4 ||        4 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux-meta-mvl-dove               ||                      ||         ||    0 ||        0 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux-firmware                    || 1.38.3               || 1.38.4               ||    1 ||        1 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux                             || 2.6.35-25.44         || 2.6.35-27.47         ||   13 ||       13 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux-backports-modules-2.6.35    || 2.6.35-25.16         || 2.6.35-27.18         ||    0 ||        0 ||17:09
sconklin|| ---      linux-meta                        ||         ||         ||    0 ||        0 ||17:09
sconklin||                                            ||                      ||                      ||      ||          ||17:09
bjf[TOPIC] Incoming Bugs: Regressions (JFo)17:10
MootBotNew Topic:  Incoming Bugs: Regressions (JFo)17:10
JFoIncoming Bugs17:10
JFo 180 Natty Bugs (up 11)17:10
JFo 1185 Maverick Bugs (up 33)17:10
JFo 1019 Lucid Bugs (up 6)17:10
JFoCurrent regression stats (broken down by release):17:10
JFo==== regression-update ====17:10
JFo  * 39 maverick bugs (no change)17:10
JFo  * 77 lucid bugs (no change)17:10
JFo  * 7 karmic bugs (no change)17:10
JFo  * 0 hardy bugs (no change)17:10
JFo==== regression-release ====17:10
JFo  * 70 natty bugs (not tracked yet)17:10
JFo  * 237 maverick bugs (up 9)17:10
JFo  * 208 lucid bugs (no change)17:10
JFo  * 38 karmic bugs (no change)17:10
JFo  * 2 hardy bugs (no change)17:11
JFo==== regression-proposed ====17:11
JFo  * 1 natty bugs (down 2)17:11
JFo  * 2 maverick bugs (down 4)17:11
JFo  * 0 lucid bugs (no change)17:11
JFo  * 0 karmic bug (no change)17:11
bjf[TOPIC] Incoming Bugs: Bug day report (JFo)17:11
MootBotNew Topic:  Incoming Bugs: Bug day report (JFo)17:11
JFoToday is Bug Day. We are looking at bugs in the new state. I'd like to ae another Bug Day next week covering Confirmed bugs. I'll post details to the mailing lists and our voices blog. I've also added twitter notices to my list of announcements for Bug Days, so far we have had a more positive response to this than I expected.17:11
bjf[TOPIC] Triage Status (JFo)17:11
MootBotNew Topic:  Triage Status (JFo)17:11
JFonothing to report.17:11
bjf[TOPIC] Open Discussion or Questions: Raise your hand to be recognized (o/)17:11
MootBotNew Topic:  Open Discussion or Questions: Raise your hand to be recognized (o/)17:11
bjfthanks everyone17:12
MootBotMeeting finished at 11:12.17:12
JFothanks bjf :)17:12
kamalthanks bjf - lightning quick :-)17:12
=== Quintasan_ is now known as Quintasan
=== bjf is now known as bjf[afk]
=== Claudinu1_ is now known as Claudinux
=== Claudinux is now known as Guest18451
=== Claudinu1_ is now known as Claudinux__
=== Claudinux__ is now known as Claudinux
=== bjf[afk] is now known as bjf
=== ogra is now known as Guest4712
=== Guest4712 is now known as ogra_
=== starcraft-ntbk is now known as starcraftman
=== Quintasan_ is now known as Quintasan
=== Nafallo_ is now known as Nafallo
=== IdleOne_ is now known as IdleOne
jdstrandthe ubuntu-security team (and friends) is going to have a quick meeting to make up for yesterday22:13
MootBotMeeting started at 16:13. The chair is jdstrand.22:13
MootBotCommands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]22:13
jdstrandThe meeting agenda can be found at:22:13
jdstrand[LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/Meeting22:13
MootBotLINK received:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/Meeting22:13
jdstrand[TOPIC] Review of any previous action items22:14
MootBotNew Topic:  Review of any previous action items22:14
jdstrandWe didn't have any specific ones. I know sbeattie has been working on apparmor upstream releases and they are basically done22:14
jdstrand(that was a previous action item)22:14
mdeslaurkees keyword highlight bomb: security hack rootkit virus22:14
jdstrand[TOPIC] Weekly stand-up report22:14
MootBotNew Topic:  Weekly stand-up report22:14
jdstrandI'll go first22:14
jdstrandI tested amd64 builds of firefox and xul this week already22:15
jdstrandplanning on helping sbeattie with the apparmor upload for natty FF22:15
jdstrandalso am working with hallyn on the libvirt merge22:15
jdstrandand since someone pointed out ufw is using the wrong preferred python packaging, I fixed that and am fixing up a few other little packaging things there22:16
jdstrandI am in the happy place, and am basically trying to help get things into shape for FF22:16
jdstrandI figure there is going to be a lot of archive admin work as a result22:17
jdstrandI'm done22:17
jdstrandmdeslaur: you'r eup22:17
mdeslaurI just pushed my mailman USN out22:17
mdeslaurand am waiting for the lucid fuse -proposed package to release, and then I'll push fuse22:17
mdeslaurI am working on an embargoed issue22:17
mdeslaurand am currently looking at bind9 issues22:18
mdeslaur(need to figure out what to do with bind9...)22:18
mdeslaurand would like to poke with gnome-screensaver to fix the automatic login/reboot issue22:18
mdeslaurand thursday I'm on patchpiloting22:18
mdeslaurthat's it for me22:18
jdstrandsbeattie: you're up22:19
sbeattieI'm working on an openjdk-6 update; I hit build issues caused by upstream, and was hoping for input from doko.22:21
sbeattieI'll be releasing apparmor 2.6.0 final this week and also working to push that into natty before FF.22:21
sbeattieI'm on triage as well.22:22
sbeattieI think that's all for me.22:22
jdstrandmicahg: you're up22:23
micahgjdstrand: upcoming week, right?22:23
jdstrandmicahg: yeah, or stuff you've been working on that is affecting your work this week22:23
jdstrandmicahg: or blockers22:23
micahgneed to get new build of thunderbird uploaded to mozilla-security PPA22:24
micahgtest Firefox/Thunderbird i38622:24
* jdstrand will test tbird/amd6422:24
micahgI volunteered to patch pilot to clear out things for FF22:24
micahgalso, still getting stuff setup (local mirror, sbuild)22:25
micahgthat's it for me22:25
jdstrandwe'll skip kees22:25
jdstrandjjohansen: is there anything you need from us for natty outside of the apparmor 2.6 userspace work sbeattie is working on?22:26
jjohansenjdstrand: hrmm no I don't think so, everything I have has either moved to future versions or bugs22:27
jdstrandjjohansen: ok22:27
jdstrand[TOPIC] Miscellaneous and Questions22:27
MootBotNew Topic:  Miscellaneous and Questions22:27
jjohansenuh well unless you want to thin the thicket of papers I am working through22:27
jdstrandfyi, I've added prepare_source() in testlib for in build tests in QRT22:27
jdstrandthere is some documentation in there for how to use it22:28
jdstrandit is useful when you find a test suite in the source, but it isn't enabled in the build22:28
jdstrandit helps you setup things to download and unpack the source, then patch22:28
jdstrandand how to clean up22:28
jdstrandtest-telepathy-gabble.py and test-dbus.py both use it22:29
jdstrandtest-apparmor.py needs to be converted to it22:29
sbeattiejjohansen: papers?22:29
jdstrandI've been using this method instead of checking things into build_results22:29
jdstrandanyhoo, fyi22:30
jdstrandI don't have anything else22:30
jjohansensbeattie: fsa and maximal spanning tree type stuff22:30
jdstrandjjohansen: heh, I won't be touching those :P22:30
jjohansenI am trying to work through references22:30
jdstrandjjohansen: that said, I could proofread for you22:30
sbeattiejdstrand: great! I've been meaning to do something like that for a mythical test-core-utils22:30
jjohansenjdstrand: I do have some writing I was planning on kicking your way22:31
jdstrandsbeattie: there are probably some warts, but it is a start22:31
jdstrandjjohansen: cool22:31
jdstranddoes anyone have any other questions or items to discuss?22:31
* jdstrand takes that as a 'no'22:32
jdstrandthanks everyone! :)22:32
MootBotMeeting finished at 16:32.22:32
keesman, I perfectly timed that22:34

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!