* Unit193 waves00:00
pleia2just trying to get quorum and then we'll start the americas board meeting :)00:01
* ddecator crosses fingers that it happens this time00:03
* Amaranth looks around00:03
* iheartubuntu has arrived00:03
pleia2just waiting for one more board member00:04
jcastroDBO: woo!00:10
pleia2ok, we have quorum :)00:11
beunosorry I'm late00:11
beuno(I have no good excuse!)00:11
MootBotMeeting started at 19:13. The chair is nhandler.00:13
MootBotCommands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]00:13
nhandlerHello and welcome to the Ubuntu Membership Review Board for the Americas meeting for Thursday, March 17. The wiki page for the Review Board is available here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership/RegionalBoards/Americas00:13
nhandlerWe will attempt to get through all of the applicants that have added themselves to that list before today's meeting. If we are unable to make it through the entire list due to time constraints, then at the next meeting we will pick up where we left off.00:13
nhandlerThe format for the meeting is as follows: We will go through the list of applicants one by one, by date of application (FIFO).00:13
nhandlerEach applicant should introduce themselves (1-5 sentences) and provide links to their Ubuntu Wiki page. After the introduction the members of the Membership Review Board will review the pages and, if needed, ask the applicant further questions.00:13
nhandlerDuring this time it is encouraged for other members of the community to show their support for the applicant. Do not be alarmed if the members of the Membership Review Board are quiet during this time; they are most likely reading wiki/launchpad/forum/other pages and deciding how they are going to vote.00:14
nhandlerWhen the board is ready to vote, they will publicly vote in the channel with either +1, 0, or -1 (for membership, abstain, and against membership, respectively). If the sum of those numbers is positive, then the applicant is now an official Ubuntu member! (feel free congratulate them!)00:14
nhandlerNow, with any further ado, lets get started with the first applicant...00:14
nhandlerNow, with any further ado, lets get started with the first applicant...00:14
nhandler[TOPIC] geeknik00:14
MootBotNew Topic:  geeknik00:14
pleia2doesn't seem to be around00:14
nhandlerI just sent him a PM00:15
nhandlerIf he shows up, we can come back to him00:15
nhandler[TOPIC] matthewrohaly00:15
MootBotNew Topic:  matthewrohaly00:15
nhandlerAh, here is geeknik00:16
nhandler[TOPIC] geeknik00:16
MootBotNew Topic:  geeknik00:16
nhandlergeeknik: Care to introduce yourself?00:16
geeknikHi. My name is Brian, I'm a 34 year old computer geek from Oklahoma. I just got back from San Francisco and was just hired by OpenDNS.com. I've been a Linux user since 1995.00:17
geeknikI'm also an Android kernel hacker and Firefox developer.00:17
nhandlergeeknik: I notice you contribute to firefox, any plans to get involved with the Ubuntu mozilla team?00:18
DBOim here00:18
geeknikI haven't really thought about that, but I'm sure I could lend some expertise to the team. =)00:18
nhandlerDBO: We are not up to you yet (we started late)00:18
ddecatorthe mozilla team could always use extra help :)00:18
nhandlergeeknik: Have you done any LoCo work?00:19
geeknikNo, I have not.00:19
greg-ggeeknik: is there one relatively near you?00:19
geeknikThere does seem to be an Oklahoma LoCo team, according to the website.00:20
geeknikIt's based in Tulsa, about 2 hours NE of where I live now.00:20
greg-gyep, and a channel at #ubuntu-us-ok00:21
pleia2geeknik: your wiki page doesn't have a lot of detail, are there any specific teams in ubuntu you work with?00:21
greg-ggeeknik: is there any direct to Ubuntu contribution you can point me toward?00:21
geeknikI haven't worked directly with any teams unfortunately.00:22
beunogeeknik, hi00:22
beunoit looks like you're off to a good start00:23
geeknikI have submitted some bugs to Launchpad, I believe a couple might still be open. Most of my work with Ubuntu has been local tech support and advocacy. =)00:23
greg-ggeeknik: so, I can see that you have a ton of experience in Firefox and linux in general, but I would love to see some more direct to Ubuntu contributions, say, with the Mozilla team00:23
geeknikgreg-g: I can do that.00:23
beunobut I think you should build a bit more of a track record00:23
pleia2Mozilla team: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MozillaTeam00:23
beunogeeknik, get more involved in the community in general, meet some people00:23
nhandlerThere is also the security team if you want to put your security knoweldge to good use00:23
beunoit's important to be a part of the community00:23
* geeknik nods.00:23
beunogeeknik, so, how about you invest some time in that, and come back in a few months?00:24
greg-ggeeknik: really, looking at your track record, it probably wouldn't be difficult for you :)00:24
geeknikbeuno: Definitely. =) How about I come back around August/September and see where we stand?00:24
geeknikI'll dive in headfirst and come back strong. ;)00:25
pleia2geeknik: sounds great!00:25
beunogeeknik, sure, whenever you feel you're ready again. Feel free to ping any of us and review a bit beforehand if unsure00:25
nhandlergeeknik: We look forward to seeing you then00:25
greg-ggeeknik: awesome!00:25
geeknikThanks guys, I appreciate your time. =)00:25
nhandler[TOPIC] ddecator00:25
MootBotNew Topic:  ddecator00:25
beunothanks geeknik!00:25
nhandlerddecator: Care to introduce yourself?00:25
ddecatorRight. First, wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ddecator00:25
greg-ggeeknik: anytime, and feel free to ping me on IRC (I'm in #ubuntu-bugs and #ubuntu-us-mi and #ubuntu-community-team :) )00:25
greg-gah, dang, missed him00:26
ddecatorMy name is Draycen (aka, "Dray") and I'm a college undergraduate majoring in Psychology. Ubuntu is a hobby of mine, and I really enjoy contributing in any way I can. In the past, that has mostly been with the BugSquad and Ubuntu Beginners Team.00:26
nhandlerddecator: Don't forget the Ubuntu Chicago LoCo :)00:26
ddecatorI plan to continue working with those two teams, but also increase my involvement with the Chicago LoCo and the Mozilla Team.00:27
greg-gawesome, I've seen your name around some with the Mozilla team00:27
greg-gand in -bugs, of course00:27
pleia2great wiki page (and testimonials!)00:27
ddecatorAs you may notice, I had several months where I was inactive. That was due to a scheduling conflict, which should be resolved :)00:27
beunoddecator, wow, that's quite wiki page!00:27
ddecatorbeuno: Thanks :)00:28
nhandlerddecator: Any progress on starting up the Chicago Ubuntu Hours (or whatever we are calling them) ?00:28
ddecatornhandler: Not yet, I plan on working on that when I get back to the city next week00:28
nhandlerAwesome ddecator !00:28
beunoddecator, I think your wiki page speaks for itself. I have one question for you:   what do you think we could improve in the Ubuntu community?00:29
ddecatorbeuno: I think we can be much more accessible and much less overwhelming/daunting to new users, especially those who aren't the most tech-savvy. Right now, there is inconsistancy in the wikis, overwhelming information on the web, and a lot of conflicting advice. For the new user, who may still think Linux is all CLI, they are less likely to switch when they encounter all of that.00:31
pleia2good answer :)00:31
* greg-g nods00:31
nhandler[VOTE] Should ddecator become an Ubuntu Member?00:31
MootBotPlease vote on:  Should ddecator become an Ubuntu Member?.00:31
MootBotPublic votes can be registered by saying +1/-1/+0 in the channel, private votes by messaging the channel followed by +1/-1/+0  to MootBot00:31
MootBotE.g. /msg MootBot +1 #ubuntu-meeting00:31
MootBot+1 received from nhandler. 1 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 100:31
MootBot+1 received from pleia2. 2 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 200:31
MootBot+1 received from greg-g. 3 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 300:31
MootBot+1 received from beuno. 4 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 400:32
MootBotFinal result is 4 for, 0 against. 0 abstained. Total: 400:32
nhandlerCongratulations ddecator !00:32
ddecatorThank you very much everyone :)00:32
sagaciwell done ddecator00:32
pleia2congrats ddecator! :)00:32
greg-gcongratulations ddecator00:32
nhandler[TOPIC] DBO00:33
MootBotNew Topic:  DBO00:33
beuno\o/ ddecator00:33
DBOcongrats ddecator00:33
greg-gwelcome, finally, DBO :)00:33
DBO:) good to be here00:33
pleia2DBO: care to introduce yourself?00:33
DBOsure, so I am a 23 year old programmer out of Kalamazoo, MI00:34
DBOI contributed heavily to Beryl, Compiz, GNOME Do, and authored Docky in the past00:34
DBOas well I have been an IRC moderator on the ubuntu channels a couple years back00:34
DBOyou can see my wiki page here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/jassmith00:34
DBOcurrently I am employed by Canonical as a member of the DX team working on Unity00:35
lifelesshe's trouble :)00:35
* beuno agrees00:35
greg-gyeah, I remember meeting him for the first time at Penguicon, no good :P00:35
ddecatorit's a michigander thing ;)00:36
DBOPenguicon rocked... the tron guy was classic00:36
greg-gspeaking of which, why aren't you in the #ubuntu-us-mi channel anymore? :)00:36
pleia2DBO: how long have you been with canonical?00:36
DBOabout 1.5 years now00:37
DBOgreg-g, because I never re-added it to my autojoin out of sheer laziness (honesty is the best policy?)00:37
greg-gDBO: fine with me, as long as you didn't say we bored you ;)00:37
jcastroI'd like to add a few vouches for DBO. He's been working real hard on Unity00:38
jcastrobut has made time for forums, IRC sessions00:38
DBOtoo late!00:38
greg-gthanks much for that, jcastro00:38
jcastroand answering people's questions on Reddit and Ask00:38
pleia2brave soul :)00:38
jcastrohe missed his last membership application because he was coding and spaced out, and almost did this time too.00:38
DBOoh yeah, I did a reddit AMA a couple weeks back00:38
jcastroIt's 8:38pm local time for him00:38
jcastrowhich kind of speaks for itself, that's really all I have to say00:38
* beuno substracts 10 points for not being able to multitask00:39
greg-gjcastro: thanks buddy.00:39
MootBotLINK received:  http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/en0ti/i_am_an_ubuntu_unity_developer_ama/00:39
DBOi guess that was more than a couple weeks back00:39
beunoa month, to be exact  :)00:40
jcastroPlus he's really the most approachable person on the Unity team for users, and he's been really great at communicating how it works for people, etc.00:40
DBOI love me some contributors, they produce awesome code we never could dedicate resources to00:40
DBOthe community has been so awesome with Unity :)00:41
jcastroDBO: about how many new contributors have you mentored this cycle?00:41
jcastroand or reviews?00:41
DBOI have done reviews for 3 or 4, and answered questions for at least that many00:41
DBOnot everyone who comes poking around the code always submits a merge sadly00:42
DBObut we get them eventually :)00:42
pleia2ok, we lost quorum for a few minutes because one of our board members had to eat (sheesh!) so we're going to hold off on the vote for a few minutes and move on to our next applicant00:42
pleia2DBO: hang in there, we'll get back to you in a few minutes! :)00:42
pleia2[TOPIC] iheartubuntu00:42
pleia2iheartubuntu: care to introduce yourself?00:42
iheartubuntuHello! My name is Dave and I am 37 and have been using Ubuntu for 5 years now. I enjoy the OS so much I have contributed in a number of ways...00:42
iheartubuntuFrom helping the Ubuntu booth nonstop at SCaLE9x recently, creating the first ever Ubuntu Hour in Pasadena, CA, creating artwork for the various releases and running two Ubuntu related websites.00:43
greg-gI like your wallpaper submissions, iheartubuntu00:44
iheartubuntusome of them had a lot of good xcomments on OMG Ubuntu00:44
greg-gquestion though, on flickr they are not licensed under an acceptable CC license, isn't that required for the competition?00:44
iheartubuntuI did submit them and tagged them accordingly at the time00:45
iheartubuntubut I must have failed at choosing the correct CC00:45
iheartubuntucould have very well been why a few were not accepted00:45
greg-giheartubuntu: s'ok, I'm nitpicking, I'm a license/copyright expert, so its the kind of thing I notice ;)00:45
iheartubuntuI will change them and update anything i do in ther future00:46
greg-giheartubuntu: oh, yeah, very well could have been, since the ones I saw were All Rights Reserved (ie: not ok :) )00:46
nhandlerAlright, sorry for having to duck out earlier. But we'll vote on DBO first and then iheartubuntu00:48
nhandler[VOTE] Should DBO be an Ubuntu Member?00:49
MootBotPlease vote on:  Should DBO be an Ubuntu Member?.00:49
MootBotPublic votes can be registered by saying +1/-1/+0 in the channel, private votes by messaging the channel followed by +1/-1/+0  to MootBot00:49
MootBotE.g. /msg MootBot +1 #ubuntu-meeting00:49
MootBot+1 received from pleia2. 1 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 100:49
MootBot+1 received from beuno. 2 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 200:49
MootBot+1 received from greg-g. 3 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 300:49
MootBot+1 received from nhandler. 4 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 400:49
MootBotFinal result is 4 for, 0 against. 0 abstained. Total: 400:49
nhandlerCongratulations and welcome DBO00:49
ddecatorcongrats DBO :)00:49
DBOthank you gentlemen :)00:49
greg-gcongrats and welcome (finally), DBO !00:49
micahgcongrats DBO00:49
pleia2hey, what about me? ;)00:49
pleia2congrats DBO00:49
nhandler[VOTE] Should iheartubuntu be an Ubuntu Member?00:50
MootBotPlease vote on:  Should iheartubuntu be an Ubuntu Member?.00:50
MootBotPublic votes can be registered by saying +1/-1/+0 in the channel, private votes by messaging the channel followed by +1/-1/+0  to MootBot00:50
MootBotE.g. /msg MootBot +1 #ubuntu-meeting00:50
DBOand lady? :)00:50
MootBot+1 received from pleia2. 1 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 100:50
MootBot+1 received from beuno. 2 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 200:50
MootBot+1 received from greg-g. 3 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 300:50
MootBot+1 received from nhandler. 4 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 400:50
MootBotFinal result is 4 for, 0 against. 0 abstained. Total: 400:50
pleia2congrats iheartubuntu!00:50
nhandlerCongratulations iheartubuntu00:50
beuno\o/  congrats DBO and iheartubuntu00:51
ddecatorand congrats to iheartubuntu :)00:51
greg-gcongrats and welcome, iheartubuntu00:51
iheartubuntuWow, thank you so much. I will work hard to forward Ubuntu00:51
nhandlerThanks to everyone for coming tonight, and sorry for the problems achieving and maintaining quorum00:51
pleia2thanks everyone!00:51
MootBotMeeting finished at 19:52.00:52
DBOcongrats iheartubuntu :)00:52
greg-ghave a good night all, thanks for coming out and supporting the Membership process!00:52
iheartubuntuthanks, you too DBO00:52
=== jjohansen is now known as jj-afk
=== ian_brasil__ is now known as ian_brasil
=== bazhang_ is now known as bazhang
=== Amaranth__ is now known as Amaranth
=== ogra is now known as Guest78603
=== Guest78603 is now known as ogra_
=== debfx_ is now known as debfx
=== Craig_Dem_ is now known as Craig_Dem
=== Mkaysi_ is now known as Mkaysi
=== ogra_ is now known as ogra
* skaet waves14:59
skaetheya seb128,  you doing desktop today?15:00
pittiskaet: I'm prep'ed15:00
seb128skaet, desktop is going great, got a new unity with lot of bug fixes and other nice things ;-)15:00
skaetok,  lets get started.  :)15:01
MootBotMeeting started at 10:01. The chair is skaet.15:01
MootBotCommands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]15:01
skaethi everyone15:02
skaet[Topic] Natty overview - skaet_15:02
skaetReminder:   please use ".." on separate line when you've finished typing.   If someone wants to comment during the updates, please "o/", so we know to wait.15:02
skaetAgenda is at:15:02
skaet[LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/2011-03-1815:02
MootBotNew Topic:  Natty overview - skaet_15:02
MootBotLINK received:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/2011-03-1815:02
skaetSeeing a nice bit of movement on the bugs last week.  Thanks to everyone involved in fixing them!   If I've still got some being tracked under the wrong team though,  please let me know, or feel free to go into the WIKI and move it to the right team ;).15:02
skaetAs of 2011/03/17 bugs for Natty that are are targetted for fixing were broken down as follows:15:02
skaet      * kernel:   linux: 9   drivers: 14  ( 3 from 2010 )15:02
skaet      * foundations:  23  ( 6 from 2010)  but on the good news front 14 resolved in the last week! :)15:02
skaet      * server: 615:02
skaet      * desktop: 1215:02
skaet      * ubuntuone: 5 (2 from 2010 )  and 7 resolved in the last week! :)15:02
skaet      * kubuntu: 4 (2 from 2010 )15:02
skaet      * desktop experience: 33 (3 from 2010 )  and  13 resolved in last week!  :)15:02
skaet      * arm: 8 (3 from 2010 )15:02
skaetThis is still up from where we were with maverick, so appreciate the continued focus on it.15:02
skaetMilestoned bugs for beta 1 can be found:15:02
skaet[LINK] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.milestone=33574.15:02
MootBotLINK received:  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.milestone=33574.15:02
skaetBugs targetted for this release can be found:15:02
skaet[LINK] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+bugs15:02
MootBotLINK received:  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+bugs15:02
skaetNote that the renaming of beta to beta-1 caused some links to become inaccurate.  If you spot any that are broken, please let me know.15:02
skaetUpcoming Significant Dates:15:03
skaetUser Interface Freeze and Beta Freeze is March 24th (at 2300 UTC )15:03
skaetBeta 1 Release is March 31st.15:03
* skaet looks around for questions..15:03
skaetok, moving on to to round table then.15:03
skaet[Topic] QA team update - marjo15:04
MootBotNew Topic:  QA team update - marjo15:04
marjohi folks15:04
marjo * Natty Beta 1 Work Items15:04
marjo http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/natty/canonical-platform-qa-ubuntu-11.04-beta-1.html15:04
marjo https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-qa-n-testing-different-architectures15:04
marjo jibel blocked on confirmation from skaet and persia to clean up subscribers list15:04
marjo https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/cloud-server-n-uec-qa15:04
marjo hggdh still blocked due to lack of working UEC tools since after Alpha 2.15:04
marjo * Natty boot regression report15:04
marjobugs reported and under investigation by Foundations team.15:04
marjo bug 73715215:04
marjo bug 73714315:04
marjo bug 73715415:04
MootBotLINK received:  http://people.canonical.com/~brian/daily-bootcharts/index.html15:04
ubottuLaunchpad bug 737152 in The Ubuntu Boot Speed Project "Certification System 201101-7164 boots 10.63 seconds slower" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/73715215:04
marjo bug 73714815:04
ubottuLaunchpad bug 737143 in unity "Can't open nautilus Bookmarks which connect to server from unity-place-folders" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/73714315:04
marjo bug 73715715:04
ubottuLaunchpad bug 737154 in The Ubuntu Boot Speed Project "Certification System 201101-7174 boots 20.92 seconds slower" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/73715415:04
ubottuLaunchpad bug 737148 in The Ubuntu Boot Speed Project "Certification System 201011-6750 boots 6 seconds slower" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/73714815:05
ubottuLaunchpad bug 737157 in The Ubuntu Boot Speed Project "Certification System 201101-7185 boots 15.31 seconds slower" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/73715715:05
marjo bug 73715615:05
marjo bug 73715515:05
ubottuLaunchpad bug 737156 in The Ubuntu Boot Speed Project "Certification System 201101-7184 boots 14.54 seconds slower" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/73715615:05
ubottuLaunchpad bug 737155 in The Ubuntu Boot Speed Project "Certification System 201101-7183 boots 9.95 seconds slower" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/73715515:05
marjo * Natty Blocking bugs15:05
marjo bug 71716615:05
marjo bug 72982715:05
ubottuLaunchpad bug 717166 in eucalyptus (Ubuntu Natty) "Broken with v4 isc-dhcp-server in Natty" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/71716615:05
ubottuLaunchpad bug 729827 in unity (Ubuntu Natty) "at-spi-registry consumes most of the CPU and make the system unusable on Natty" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/72982715:05
marjoskaet: both those bugs are already marked High and are being worked on15:05
marjo * QA Dashboard15:06
marjo http://reports.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/qadashboard/qadashboard.html15:06
marjoNote linux, unity, xserver-org-video-intel, ubiquity and compiz are all in both the "Last Day" and "Last 7 Days" metrics.15:06
marjoskaet: Double confirmation that those are the packages to focus on!15:06
skaetyup.  :)15:06
marjo * Testing status:15:06
marjo Desktop Automated Testing results15:06
marjoNumber of 2D tests: 315, 75% pass15:06
marjoNumber of Unity tests: 296, 69% pass15:06
marjoList of bugs found is at the bottom of page.15:06
MootBotLINK received:  http://reports.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/desktop-testing/natty/15:06
marjo Server Automated Testing results15:07
marjo 28 tests failed. hggdh will investigate.15:07
marjo Desktop and Alternate Image Testig results15:07
marjo 3 failures being investigated by jibel. desktop-i386 test restarted.15:07
marjo  Automatic Upgrade Testing15:07
marjo Currently down. Last result is http://people.canonical.com/~mvo/automatic-upgrade-testing/2011-03-15-15:03:02/15:07
marjo Still the sudo prompt and the openoffice.org upgrade overwrite error.15:07
skaetThanks marjo!15:07
marjothx skaet15:07
skaetcan you double check with me against the agenda that the blocking bugs are on it?15:08
* skaet wants a second set of eyes to do the correlations.15:08
marjoskaet: will do on-the-side15:08
skaetthanks marjo15:08
skaetany other questions?15:08
skaetgo dbarth__15:08
dbarth__marjo: what's making boot slower?15:08
dbarth__marjo: is that a unity thing?15:08
dbarth__(hope not, but need to know015:09
marjodbarth_ still under investigation; no smoking gun yet15:09
marjodbarth_: X is contributing, but not by much15:10
skaetany other questions?15:10
marjoskaet: just confirmed that both blocking bugs are covered by desktop and server teams in your agenda; so we're ok15:11
skaetcool.  :)15:11
skaet[Topic] Hardware Certification team update - victorp15:11
MootBotNew Topic:  Hardware Certification team update - victorp15:11
* skaet looks around and not seeing ara or victorp responding...15:12
skaetmoving on15:12
skaet[Topic] Security team update - jdstrand15:13
MootBotNew Topic:  Security team update - jdstrand15:13
jdstrand[LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/ReleaseStatus/Natty15:13
MootBotLINK received:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/ReleaseStatus/Natty15:13
jdstrand[LINK] http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/natty/canonical-security.html15:13
MootBotLINK received:  http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/natty/canonical-security.html15:13
cjwatsoner, I didn't expect this meeting to be shifted back an hour, not ready yet, sorry15:13
jdstrandOur team fixed a couple of milestoned bugs this week (see the above report). Otherwise not a lot to report here-- team has been focusing primarily on stable release updates.15:13
jdstrandWe are below the trend line and have no remaining milestoned bugs or features for beta.15:13
* jdstrand wasn't sure of the timing-- seems each meeting I had this week was handled differently :P15:14
skaetcjwatson, np, we'll circle back to you at end.15:14
skaetjdstrand thanks!15:15
skaetsorry all about the daylight savings time shuffle this week.  :(15:15
skaet[Topic] Kernel team update - ogasawara15:15
MootBotNew Topic:  Kernel team update - ogasawara15:15
ogasawaraOverall status is reported at the first link below.  Burn down for the release milestone is at the second link below.  Burndown for the cycle is at the third link:15:16
ogasawara[LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/ReleaseStatus/Natty15:16
ogasawara[LINK] http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/natty/canonical-kernel-team-ubuntu-11.04-beta-1.html15:16
ogasawara[LINK] http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/natty/canonical-kernel-team.svg15:16
MootBotLINK received:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/ReleaseStatus/Natty15:16
MootBotLINK received:  http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/natty/canonical-kernel-team-ubuntu-11.04-beta-1.html15:16
MootBotLINK received:  http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/natty/canonical-kernel-team.svg15:16
ogasawaraWe have very few specific work items in the ubuntu-11.04-beta milestone, mostly non-release related.  The natty distro kernel is now at v2.6.38-7.35, this represents v2.6.38 mainline final release!  This marks the intended upstream version for the kernel and we will now start following upstream stable v2.6.38.y.  It also marks the return of the powerpc kernels, the compiler issues seem resolved.  The main concern current15:16
ogasawaraly is the vesafb interaction with the intel DRM drivers which is triggering GPU hang reports, a prototype for which is in testing.15:16
ogasawaraOf the bugs called out on the agenda against the kernel, status is as below:15:16
ogasawara#539467 SATA alpm is now disabled in userspace, possible fix for Nvidia mcp65 controllers when in minimal power mode in testing;15:16
ogasawara#542660 still present, no real progress this week;15:16
ogasawara#625364 looks possible to work around using a pm-utils quirk;15:16
ogasawara#630748 remains waiting on Intel for updated wireless firmware;15:16
ogasawara#634487 workaround exists, but proper fix still needs investiagion.15:16
ogasawara#702090 looks to be an interaction with vesafb, upstream are saying "don't do that", prototype fix in testing;15:16
ogasawara#707353 workaround available, real fix needs applied to linux-firmware package.15:16
ogasawara#712075 partial fix in place, testing requested with 26.38 final kernel;15:16
ogasawara#717114 issue identified and possible fix now in testing.15:16
skaetthanks ogasawara!   (and welcome back  :) )15:17
skaetany questions?15:17
skaet[Topic] Server team update - Daviey15:18
MootBotNew Topic:  Server team update - Daviey15:18
DavieyStatus: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/ReleaseStatus/Natty15:18
DavieyWI tracking: http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/natty/canonical-server-ubuntu-11.04-beta-1.html15:18
DavieyWe are closer to the trend line, and still have significant documentation to do.  Platform is looking good, with out most serious bug still being bug #717166.15:18
ubottuLaunchpad bug 717166 in eucalyptus (Ubuntu Natty) "Broken with v4 isc-dhcp-server in Natty" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/71716615:18
Daviey    561779 - squid - squid is not started on runlevel transition 1 -> 2.15:18
Daviey    727286 - libvirt - apparmor is blocking libvirt-bin from accessing folders in "/15:18
Daviey    733914 - autofs5 - autofs races network interfaces, ends up not working15:18
Daviey    728088 - debian-installer - iscsi root (amd64) with or without auth fails to boot15:18
DavieyIn progress15:18
Daviey    697753 - bittorrent recommendation prevents bittorrent demotion15:18
Daviey        Fix Committed, pending upload15:18
Daviey    711587 - powernap and Eucalyptus seem unable to reach an understanding15:18
Daviey        Fix Committed, pending upload15:18
Daviey    717166 - Eucalyptus - Broken with v4 isc-dhcp-server in Natty15:18
Daviey        Upstream have proposed a fix, that is being reviewed.15:18
Daviey    580319 - dhcp3-server launches before upstart brings all interface, thus failing to start15:18
Daviey        Assigned to JamesHunt15:18
Daviey    732759 - [FFe] [needs-packaging] python-ethtool15:18
Daviey        In NEW queue, pending Accept15:18
Daviey    727200 [MIR] lxcguest in main15:18
Daviey        Pending MIR review15:18
Daviey    727342 FFE: open-vm-tools kernel module failed to build15:18
Daviey        Pending approval from ~ubuntu-release15:18
Davieycloud-server-n-ubuntu-trial - 0% - Not part of the distro release, and spec is currently being heavily modified as it isn't currently accurate.15:19
Davieycloud-server-n-automated-testing - 0% - Making progress, and should be good for concurrent beta image testing (with tradional testing).15:19
Davieypackageselection-server-n-upstart-server-enhancement - 8% - Documentation remaining15:19
Davieypackageselection-server-n-commandline-userfriendly - 69% - Parts will be defered, and wider input is going to be sought.15:19
Davieypackageselection-server-n-cluster-stack - 31% - Will be documentation remaining.15:19
DavieyAll in, we are doing as expected - as explained, the most15:19
Davieyconcerning bug is bug #717166, which is being looked at by many people at the moment.  We have a potential fix.15:19
ubottuLaunchpad bug 717166 in eucalyptus (Ubuntu Natty) "Broken with v4 isc-dhcp-server in Natty" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/71716615:19
jdstrandDaviey: I just uploaded the fix for bug #727286 a few minutes ago15:19
ubottuLaunchpad bug 727286 in libvirt (Ubuntu Natty) "apparmor is blocking libvirt-bin from accessing folders in "/"" [Low,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/72728615:19
Davieyjdstrand, I saw!  That is awesome :)15:19
skaetThanks Daviey!    Appreciate the details.  :)15:19
marjoDaviey: thx for working on 71716615:19
Davieyjdstrand, I meant to take it out of the list, but my list predates your fix.. dammit!15:19
* skaet knows all about that....15:20
DavieyThank you. o/15:20
skaetany other question?15:20
skaet[Topic] Desktop team update - pitti15:20
MootBotNew Topic:  Desktop team update - pitti15:20
pittiBlueprint implementation:15:20
pitti * On track for entire cycle15:20
pitti * beta-1: not much progress last week, but the actual implementation bits are mostly done; remaining WIs fall into those categories:15:20
pitti  * Adding unit tests, human testing, etc. (not bound by FF or other freezes; b1 milestone was used mainly for planning)15:21
pitti  * Some remaining a11y work for Unity; worked on by DX, we just need to integrate once it's landing15:21
pitti  * Porting remaining software to xulrunner-2.0 (not really bound by FF, but should be done soon); stragglers will be removed from the archive; the main blocker here is swt-gtk which is required by eucalyptus, as discussed last week15:21
pitti  * Quickly improvements are still blocked on Launchpad improvements; postponed to oneiric now15:21
pitti  * Sofware-Center UI enhancements: Some are probably done, but some implementation work left15:21
pittiGeneral status:15:21
pitti * The usual weekly unity release with tons of bug fixes; Pressing Alt now finally gets back menus15:21
pitti * Previous round of maverick-proposed langpacks broke search plugins; fixed langpack-o-matic, new packages in -proposed now; next round of natty langpacks will have this fixed, too15:21
pittiRC bugs:15:21
pitti * Not much progress this week; will walk over the list in next desktop team meeting15:21
pitti * Details at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/ReleaseStatus#rcbugs15:21
skaetthanks pitti!15:22
skaetany questions?15:22
skaet[Topic] Ubuntu One Team - Chipaca15:23
MootBotNew Topic:  Ubuntu One Team - Chipaca15:23
Chipacadetails on where we're at with our natty work and releases are in the link above15:23
ChipacaFFE update... bindwood bug #648587 has a package ready to go & ubuntuone-couch in universal bug #729117 is getting uploaded by kenvandine15:23
Chipacathe list of bugs we're working on currently can be found in the link i posted earlier...15:23
Chipacawe have some final ui/text changes to make in the next couple days related to the control panel and banshee/libubuntuone but these should be in prior to ui freeze15:23
Chipacaand that's it for this week for u1 - questions?15:23
ubottuLaunchpad bug 648587 in bindwood (Ubuntu Natty) "[FFE] bindwood is incompatible with Firefox 4" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/64858715:23
ubottuLaunchpad bug 729117 in Ubuntu "[FFE] Add ubuntuone-couch to universe " [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/72911715:23
skaetthanks Chipaca!15:24
* Chipaca bows reverently15:24
skaetnot seeing any questions, so moving on.  :)15:25
skaet[Topic] Kubuntu Team update - Riddell15:25
MootBotNew Topic:  Kubuntu Team update - Riddell15:25
Riddell * the world is broken due to late addition of multiarch, anything compiled with cmake now won't find multiarch libraries15:26
Riddell  - I'm looking at a quick fix of hardcoding the new multiarch paths15:26
Riddell * Qt on ARM now uses OpenGLES, this breaks anything using openGL directly such as koffice, kdeedu etc (anything using glew and avogadro). rsalveti and janimo from mobile say that'll work on them and "linaro is working to get gles support at glew".  no quick fixes for this problem.15:26
Riddell * kubuntu-mobile now being generated from separate seeds and in universe.  ARM images not building - to be investigated15:26
Riddell * other CD images all good15:26
Riddell * 9 bugs milestoned for beta http://goo.gl/23eui15:26
skaetThanks Riddell15:26
skaetwho are you working with on the multiarch issues?  is there a bug?15:27
Riddellit's bug 73713715:27
ubottuLaunchpad bug 737137 in cmake (Ubuntu Natty) "find_library fails to locate multiarch libraries" [High,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/73713715:27
RiddellI've discussed it with slangasek a bit15:27
Riddellit needs discussion with cmake upstream and Debian for a proper solution15:27
skaetgood,  that's what I was hoping to hear.    So, we should have workarounds in place for beta, but need better long term?15:28
Riddellhopefully yes15:28
skaetany other questions?15:28
ScottKIt makes it rather tough to make progress on the gles issue with cmake broken ...15:28
skaetsigh,  understood.  :(15:29
skaet[Topic] Desktop Experience Team Update - dbarth__15:29
MootBotNew Topic:  Desktop Experience Team Update - dbarth__15:29
dbarth__the weekly report is at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopExperienceTeam/NattyReleaseStatus as usual15:30
dbarth__highglights for the week15:30
dbarth__1. FFEs15:30
dbarth__Datetime menu support for browsing calendars (726531) -> Done and released15:30
dbarth__ALT-F2 (580295) -> Done and released15:30
dbarth__Zeitgeist-0.7.0 (732551) -> Done and released15:30
dbarth__Easy application installation (670403) -> Done and released15:30
dbarth__places a11y (731403) -> Blocked by regressions15:30
dbarth__overlay scrollbar (730740) -> We confirm our request for an exception15:30
dbarth__multi-touch support in Unity (737601) -> In progress15:30
dbarth__ 15:30
dbarth__the last 3 are the one to notice15:30
dbarth__ 15:31
* skaet notes15:31
dbarth__on the Unity front; 65 bugs fixed in a single release!15:31
dbarth__ numerous gl & a11y crashers15:31
dbarth__the alt keypress bug (689179)15:31
dbarth__KDE apps can now be pinned to the launcher15:31
dbarth__and a lot of UI adjustments in the dash, like the new auto-resizing layout or ALT-F2 support15:31
dbarth__still no a11y for places, due to focus/grab mgmt improvements that created regressions in the a11y integration15:31
dbarth__overlay scrollbar: lots of fixes to extend the list of supported applications: Ayatana/ScrollBars15:31
dbarth__the places a11y FFE is still blocked, that's a worry at this stage15:32
dbarth__ 15:32
dbarth__Foundations is trying to break records as well: 30 bugs fixed this week15:32
dbarth__ highly improved latency of searches, improved relevancy ranking of searches & showcasing random apps from Software Center15:32
dbarth__Zeitgeist FTS Extension got a long waited fix extending the capabilities of the event filtering mechanism which was required in order to filter out applications from searches in the files place15:32
dbarth__Dee ABI+API stability since 0.5.12 (released Monday) also with a range of new functionality to help optimize the Unity shell(s) and place daemons alike15:32
dbarth__More dbusmenu & indicator fixes15:32
dbarth__ 15:32
dbarth__Last on the QA front: triaging as usual with a rise in the bug inflow15:33
dbarth__Provided test cases for GL, Compiz and Ayatana Scrollbar15:33
dbarth__Work on compiz automated testcases for the 3 main regressions (invisible windows, stacking order issues and decorator crashers)15:33
skaetthanks dbarth__ !15:33
skaetcongrats on swatting all those bugs.  :)15:33
skaetgo marjo15:33
marjoskaet, dbarth: ok to sneak in last-minute NVIDIA test results?15:34
dbarth__yes, good news?15:34
marjoThe following nVidia cards are reported to work with Unity:15:34
marjo    * nVidia Corporation C79 [GeForce G102M]15:34
marjo    * nVidia Corporation Device 06c015:34
marjo    * nVidia Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600 GT]15:34
MootBotLINK received:  http://reports.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/graphics_testing/natty/15:34
marjo    * nVidia Corporation G80 [GeForce 8800 GTS]15:34
marjo    * nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GTS]15:34
marjo    * nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT]15:34
marjo    * nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600M GT]15:34
marjo    * nVidia Corporation G84M [Quadro NVS 320M]15:35
marjo    * nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400 GS]15:35
marjo    * nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400M GS]15:35
marjo    * nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 9300M G]15:35
marjo    * nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce 9800 GT]15:35
marjo    * nVidia Corporation G94 [GeForce 9600 GT]15:35
marjo    * nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce GT 130M]15:35
marjo    * nVidia Corporation GT200 [GeForce GTX 260]15:35
marjo    * nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 310M]15:35
marjo    * nVidia Corporation GT218 [NVS 3100M]15:35
marjo    * nVidia Corporation ION VGA [GeForce 9400M]15:35
marjodbarth__ yes!15:35
skaetgood news is always welcome.   Thanks marjo!15:35
dbarth__nice coverage, but some results are worrying15:35
dbarth__fallback in particular15:35
dbarth__can we see that offline?15:36
marjodbarth__ ack15:36
skaetany other questions for dbarth__ ?15:36
skaet[Topic] ARM team update - ogra15:36
MootBotNew Topic:  ARM team update - ogra15:36
* skaet looks around for ogra? 15:37
skaetok, will move on, and see if we can pick him up later.15:37
skaet[Topic] MOTU team update - ScottK15:38
MootBotNew Topic:  MOTU team update - ScottK15:38
ScottKNothing major to report.15:38
ScottKNBS and FTBFS could use some work.15:38
ScottKIt occurs to me that we might do a global giveback during beta1 freeze to see how much gets fixed now that the DSO linking change has been reverted?15:39
cjwatsonthat's feasible15:39
ScottKThe buildd's are generally pretty idle during the freeze, so it seems a good use of the CPU cycles to me.15:40
ScottKOf course it depends a bit on where we are with multi-arch if that's the right time ...15:40
cjwatsonit shouldn't take long enough that it impedes release preparation15:40
skaetwill get with you both offline then on it.15:41
ScottKShould there be an action?15:41
skaet[ACTION] [cjwatson, skaet, ScottK] investigate feasibility of global giveback during beta1 freeze if buildd's are available.15:42
MootBotACTION received:  [cjwatson, skaet, ScottK] investigate feasibility of global giveback during beta1 freeze if buildd's are available.15:42
skaetprobably we can see where we are next meeting and use the weekend if things are calm?15:43
skaetany other questions?15:43
skaet[Topic] Linaro update - JamieBennett15:43
MootBotNew Topic:  Linaro update - JamieBennett15:43
JamieBennetthi skaet15:43
JamieBennettSo as you are aware, some breakage happened this week due to the multiarch work15:44
JamieBennettcmake, apt, and our own tools are being worked on15:44
JamieBennettSteve is confident that this will be done soon15:44
* skaet glad to hear15:44
JamieBennettjcrigby is working on a new kernel upload to fix our Panda issues but is blocked on some lttng breakage atm15:45
JamieBennettthis will come soon15:45
JamieBennettalso a new version of our linaro build tools will be needed15:45
skaetthanks JamieBennett!15:45
skaetI'm curious about if jcrigby's changes are being integrated what ARM team got from TI, but will get with you offline.15:47
skaetany questions?15:47
JamieBennettthey are separate from what I understand15:48
skaetcircling back now then to folks who got DLS'd15:48
skaet[Topic] Foundations team update - cjwatson15:48
MootBotNew Topic:  Foundations team update - cjwatson15:48
MootBotLINK received:  http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/natty/canonical-foundations.html15:49
cjwatsonComfortably below trend line, no feature issues to speak of.15:49
cjwatsonWe've had several regressions to handle from the transition to multiarch - ldconfig, mklibs, bootchart, etc.  So far most of the ones I've seen have been handled, but we still need to be vigilant.15:49
cjwatsonI haven't checked whether there's a test rebuild planned between now and release to see what build regressions we have from multiarch (other than cmake as mentioned by Riddell), but that wouldn't hurt.15:49
cjwatsonBugs: fairly rapid progress this week, as seen in the meeting agenda.  Remaining issues that I think are vital for beta 1 are:15:49
cjwatson - bug 69087315:49
ubottuLaunchpad bug 690873 in sudo (Ubuntu Natty) "latest natty sudo upgrade prompts for conffile update and potentially removes %admin from /etc/sudoers" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/69087315:49
cjwatson - plumbing side of vesafb GPU lockups, which should be landable and ought to clear up some long-standing plymouth issues along with it15:49
cjwatson - make sure that d-i still works after multiarch bootstrap (it's been variously broken and unbuildable for a couple of days)15:49
cjwatson - sync open-iscsi userspace back up with kernelspace15:49
skaetthanks cjwatson!15:49
skaetcongrats on all those bug fixes over the last week!15:50
=== jack is now known as Guest60000
skaethave noted the ones you think are critical for beta 1.15:50
skaetany questions?15:50
skaet[Topic] Hardware Certification team update - victorp15:51
MootBotNew Topic:  Hardware Certification team update - victorp15:51
victorpResults for this week: http://people.canonical.com/~hwcert/hw-testing/current.html15:51
victorp1) bootchart does not create /var/log/bootchart.tgz on the 20110317 image, causing checkbox to reboot endlessly. This cased many of desktop machines not to report results.15:51
victorp2) One server (hogplum) seems to have defective hw15:51
victorp3) Systems using the 20110317 where able to report results15:51
victorp4) Several checkbox cases are giving false positives, tests are being revamped15:51
victorpalso bootchart results for this week15:51
MootBotLINK received:  http://people.canonical.com/~hwcert/boot-metrics/natty/bootchart_week11_2011.html15:51
skaetthanks victorp!15:51
victorpno probs15:52
* victorp got confused with dls15:52
skaetwill review through the charts offline, and follow up if I've got questions then.15:52
* skaet is not looking forward to europe going on DLS in a couple of weeks. :P15:53
skaetanyone have questions for victorp?15:53
skaetis ogra around now?15:53
skaetor someone from ARM team?15:53
skaet[Topic] any other kudos/comments/questions?15:54
MootBotNew Topic:  any other kudos/comments/questions?15:54
skaethmm,  seems quiet...15:54
skaetgoing once15:54
MootBotMeeting finished at 10:55.15:55
cjwatsonvictorp: bootchart already fixed, btw15:55
victorpcjwatson, fantastic15:55
marjocjwatson: thx15:56
skaetthank you marjo,  jdstrand, ogasawara, cjwatson, pitti, Daviey, ScottK, joshuahoover, dbarth__, victorp15:56
marjoskaet: thx!15:56
victorpcjwatson, just to make sure we are talking about the same issue - what bug number?15:56
pittithansk everyone15:56
cjwatsonvictorp: bug 73748715:56
ubottuLaunchpad bug 737487 in bootchart (Ubuntu) "Bootchart data not generated" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/73748715:56
* Chipaca waves15:56
ScottKskaet: Riddell too.15:56
skaetsorry,  Chipaca - thanks to you for covering15:56
skaetthanks Riddell15:57
* skaet hangs head, sigh. 15:57
victorpcjwatson, Great15:57
skaetthanks all who were participating.   :)15:57
victorpskaet, thanks for hosting15:57
jdstrandskaet: thanks!15:58
davidmskaet, we are on our weekly call with TI, the meeting moved with DST16:01
skaetdavidm,  DST fun.   :P   thanks for letting me know what happened.16:02
rsalvetiskaet: shouldn't this meeting be in utc?16:05
apwi thought it was 16:00 utc also16:06
rsalvetiboth me and ogra were thinking that it'd start just now :-)16:06
skaetit floated based on being set up from US.  :P16:06
skaetrslaveti, apw, ogra - sorry about that.16:07
* skaet not looking forward to Europe going on DLS time, and the churn that week as well. :P16:08
apwskaet, i guess we need a reminder what time the meeting really is, ie is it 09:00 mountain time, or xxx UTC16:08
apwso we can track it through the next few weeks, we change ourselves next week16:09
ograyep, that would help16:09
ograskaet, i'll add our status to the wiki before ending my day then16:09
ogragcal is evil16:10
skaetapw,  my reminder from yesterday still appears to be in the outbox.   intended to send it, but am jinxed I guess.16:10
skaetogra,  thanks16:11
skaetapw, ogra, rsalveti - will send out the reminders next Thursday.16:12
rsalvetiskaet: thanks!16:12
apwskaet, i think the key is knowingt which timezone you are holding it in so we can adjust our calendars16:12
skaetI'm in US Central time zone.    (CDT now :P )16:16
davidmor lock the meeting to UTC and let DST times float around a hard locked meeting16:16
skaetdavidm,  will investigate getting it locked to UTC in future (after we all synch back up when Europe goes to DST)16:18
=== evilvish is now known as vish
=== emma is now known as em
=== ogra is now known as Guest95250
=== Guest95250 is now known as ogra

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!