jbichabasso: what do you mean unstable, I use it00:02
bassomaybe its my gfx drivers^^00:02
bassobut i couldnt get gdm working00:03
bassohad to use lightdm00:03
bassoand sometimes it dies, so i have to restart the desktop manager00:03
bassomaybe once a day00:03
jbichaoh wow00:04
bassobut its most likely nv prop drivers being evil and angry at me00:04
jbichaI have my wife's laptop using nouveau and it works pretty well00:04
bassoyeah i thought about nouveau00:04
bassomy 9600 might manage that00:04
bassoone thing about gnome shell that is badass, is mutter, i have no vertical tearing :)00:05
RAOFYou should get that with compiz too, though?00:07
bassoit was hard on compiz00:07
RAOF_Should_ have been as easy as turning on vsync, which is on by default.00:07
bassosometimes movie player worked fine, and vlc had tearing, and so fourth00:07
bassothe problem is unity00:08
bassothe top panel seems to be causing the tearing00:08
bassoand stuff under the window00:08
bassosometimes i see tearings of windows behind games00:08
bassogotta love compis00:08
=== asac_ is now known as asac
=== tkamppeter_ is now known as tkamppeter
chrisccoulsongood morning everyone06:42
RAOFYo yo chrisccoulson!06:44
rickspencer3good morning chrisccoulson, good afternoon RAOF07:05
chrisccoulsonhi rickspencer3 and RAOF07:06
RAOFHey rickspencer307:07
rickspencer3chrisccoulson,  is breakpad and the database software all opensource?07:08
rickspencer3can we just fork that code?07:09
RAOF+1 on the importing someone else's fine solution into Launchpad.07:09
chrisccoulsonrickspencer3, yeah. although we wouldn't want to use anything like breakpad, as it needs to be embedded in to applications07:09
chrisccoulsonbut the server software could probably be adapted07:09
rickspencer3and we already have apport07:10
chrisccoulsonthe server software is here: http://code.google.com/p/socorro/07:10
seb128hey desktop07:17
pittiGood morning07:17
chrisccoulsonhi seb128 and pitti07:36
pittihey chrisccoulson07:40
chrisccoulsonhi pitti, how are you?07:40
seb128hey chrisccoulson07:41
chrisccoulsonhi seb128. are you enjoying the summit?07:41
seb128summit is over though07:41
chrisccoulsonah, ok07:42
seb128it's hacking time today07:42
chrisccoulsonthat was quick ;)07:42
seb128that and GNOME board meeting07:42
seb1283 days07:42
seb128that's enough talks, need to get some work done ;-)07:42
brycehchrisccoulson, rickspencer3, seems like an interesting starting point at least07:42
RAOFHah.  Evolution dies under its file descriptor leak again.07:46
pittirodrigo_: hey07:54
pittirobert_ancell: are we going to use the g-c-c language selector for oneiric, or our's?07:55
pittisorry, rodrigo_ ^07:55
pittirodrigo_: it seems to make great progress (assuming that the "Copy to system" button will be implemented), but input method, $LANGUAGE support etc. is still missing07:56
pittirodrigo_: so with FF coming up we should perhaps use our's for oneiric?07:56
rodrigo_pitti, not sure the input method stuff will be ready, so yes, probably08:09
rodrigo_pitti, when is FF?08:10
geserIIRC Thursday, Aug 11th08:19
pittirodrigo_: yes, day after tomorrow08:26
pittimvo: http://git.gnome.org/browse/pango/commit/?id=b74e01cccdbc1bd89b3d5b9551110bf8b193841308:44
pittimvo: thanks!08:44
mvopitti: \o/08:50
mvopitti: is a new uplaod with this planned soon or should I just go ahead with it and cherry pick? (its fine for me doing that)08:51
mvopitti: on a releated note, the py3 way of doing dbus is to use the GI dbus bindings too, right? the gio ones ?08:51
pittimvo: feel free to cherry-pick08:51
pittimvo: correct; client-side gdbus works well, especially with the gvariant overrides08:52
mvopitti: great, thanks!08:52
pittimvo: server-side gdbus is still broken unfortunately, that's one of my goals for the sprint08:52
pittimvo: look at the bottom of http://www.piware.de/2011/01/na-zdravi-pygi/08:53
mvopitti: thanks, that looks good, I will give it a go in our dbus stuff and also check aptdaemon08:54
glatzormorning mvo and pitti09:18
pittihey glatzor09:18
glatzormvo,  I already started working on gdbus client side port but suspended the work in favor of the gi based client09:18
glatzormvo, but it seems to be a good idea to work on the python gdbus port in the meanwhile09:19
glatzorsince the progress of the c based client library hasn't made any progress recently09:21
mvoglatzor: ok, thanks. I want to create a branch that adds some py3 compatiblity, this is a required step there09:22
mvoglatzor: and hello, nice to see you :)09:22
glatzoryeah nice to see you too :)09:22
tseliotseb128: is there any chance we can reapply the hack in bug #821702 ?09:46
ubot2Launchpad bug 821702 in nvidia-graphics-drivers "[Oneiric] Nvidia-current 280.13 hangs up the system" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/82170209:46
tseliotseb128: sorry, I meant bug #72543409:47
ubot2Launchpad bug 725434 in cairo "Nvidia drivers lead to extra memory usage for each process using libGL" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/72543409:47
seb128RAOF, ^09:47
seb128tseliot, well wayland needs cairogl09:47
seb128tseliot, so workaround that bug breaks wayland09:47
seb128it's a bit of a suboptimal situation09:47
tseliotseb128, RAOF: the main problem is that the new Nvidia driver is even more broken now, see bug #82170209:48
ubot2Launchpad bug 821702 in nvidia-graphics-drivers "[Oneiric] Nvidia-current 280.13 hangs up the system" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/82170209:48
ricotzseb128, actually the cairo gl backend isnt needed anymore for wayland10:03
seb128ricotz, is the experience as good without it?10:03
seb128or will be slower, using extra cpu, etc?10:03
ricotzand the cairo-egl is optional10:03
ricotzseb128, havent tested it10:04
seb128tseliot, sorry I'm a desktop summit and got sidetracked10:05
ricotzit drop back to using cairo image so it will use more cpu then10:05
seb128tseliot, I've no issue dropping the gl backend again10:05
tseliotseb128: that would be a very welcome change10:05
tseliotthanks for the tip ricotz, I didn't know that10:06
seb128tseliot, ok, I will do that today10:06
tseliotseb128: thanks a lot10:06
ricotzthere is no need for a Breaks then10:06
zygaara, around?10:08
arazyga, sure, how can I help?10:08
zygaara, quick question: do you have any experience with ldtp ( linux desktop testing project?)10:08
zygaara, I'm trying to use it on my natty/unity laptop and it seems to be unable to locate any windows10:09
ricotzseb128, any plans to use cairo 1.11.2? might be too risky?10:09
arazyga, do you have the accessibility layer activated10:09
zygaara, is it something I'm doing wrong or is that (by any chance) unity causing accessibility to fail10:09
seb128ricotz, too risky10:09
zygaara, I don't know, how can I check?10:09
ricotzseb128, right10:09
arazyga, is a gconf option, let me check the exact name10:10
zygaara, thanks!10:11
arazyga, the key is /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility10:13
zygaok, let me check this now10:13
ara gconftool-2 --type bool --set /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility true10:13
zygaara, that works, thansk10:14
* zyga fixes peacekeeper test suite in lava10:14
rodrigo_anyone using input methods for non-latin characters?10:21
mvoglatzor: if you have a moment it would be nice if you could look over my trivial merge proposal for a py3 setup.py addition11:04
glatzormvo, I am now out for lunch butt will be back in an hour11:07
glatzorbut :)11:07
mvoglatzor: great, thanks11:09
cdbsmpt: ping? there?11:14
=== warp11 is now known as warp10
geserhow long does the retracer usually take to retrace a crash?11:56
=== MacSlow is now known as MacSlow|lunch
rodrigo_lunch time, bbl12:26
kenvandinewell that was fun...  FYI folks, looks like the intel video driver is busted12:56
pittihere as well, I downgraded mesa and intel to recover12:57
pittiRAOF: ^ is that fixed with your most recent upload?12:57
pittiseems to affect everyone on intel, AFAICS here on the summit12:58
tjaaltonpitti: yes it is12:59
kenvandinepitti, i am building it locally to verify12:59
pittikenvandine: no need13:00
pittikenvandine: already built on LP13:00
kenvandinei see that now :)13:00
kenvandineit's always fun to start your day with X failing to start :-p13:01
kenvandinebrb, rebooting13:01
kenvandinepitti, how's desktop summit?13:04
pittikenvandine: pretty quiet today, main stuff ended yesterday13:04
pittiI'm mainly here for the GI hackfest from tomorrow on13:04
mvohm, this is funny, the docs of vte talk about vte_terminal_spawn_async and yet grepping through the source its just not there13:09
mvono seb128 today? i want to rant about vte, its not fun without him :)13:15
pittimvo: he's sitting beside me, but without internet13:16
dobeymvo: hey; sorry, went to lunch yesterday, and you were gone when i got back :)13:16
dobeymvo: https://launchpadlibrarian.net/76819001/buildlog_ubuntu-oneiric-i386.ubuntuone-installer_0.0.0%2Br5-8~oneiric1_FAILEDTOBUILD.txt.gz is the full log13:17
mvothanks dobey, I have a look once I finished wrestling vte, docs and code are remarkable different13:20
dobeyespecially if you're using gir to use it13:21
=== m_conley_away is now known as m_conley
=== MacSlow|lunch is now known as MacSlow
mvodobey: thanks, looks like this is actually happening when the tests run, so I'm not sure what is the best advice, could you run the tests inside xvfb-run maybe?13:34
dobeymvo: the tests are being run with xvfb-run. it's not happening in the tests. it's happening in "python setup.py build"13:36
dobeythe tests pass/finish13:36
dobeythe tracebacks printed inside the tests are because we're running a private dbus session for testing, and not faking the aptdaemon dbus API on that session13:37
mvodobey: you are right of course, so its the DistUtilsExtra.auto stuff that probes (I assume to get the dependencies?). but let me check the aptdaemon code to see what can be done about this13:42
glatzormvo, dobey, you can have a look at aptdaemon.test: it allows to setup a chroot environemnt and running aptdaemon on a session bus13:43
glatzormvo, dobey I use this in the tests for aptdaemon itself13:44
glatzormvo, dobey furthermore you could start aptdaemon with the --dummy command for aptd13:45
dobeyglatzor: well, we don't actually need a running aptdaemon here. but yes, i could write a testcase to provide the aptdaemon service for testing this13:46
glatzordobey, but you can use the --dummy mode to fake the DBus api without having to write a mock13:48
dobeyglatzor: sure, but it still needs to be integrated into our test suite properly13:48
glatzordobey, if you want the dummy to behave differently you can propose a patch, e.g. producing errors when installing special packages13:49
dobeybut either way, it is irrelevant to the problem i'm having with python-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets wanting X for some reason during setup.py build with distutils extra13:49
pittikenvandine: we still apparently have the gtk2 indicator packages on the CDs14:08
pittikenvandine: do we still need them?14:08
pittikenvandine: unping, nevermind14:09
=== victorp_ is now known as victorp
kenvandinepitti, ok :)14:10
kenvandinewoot, there's tedg!14:20
kenvandinerodrigo_, ping14:21
GunnarHjpitti: Hi Martin, any chance that you can spend a few minutes on the MPs I mentioned yesterday? I feel that there are too many loose ends at the moment, and processing those MPs would make a huge difference.14:29
=== chaotic_ is now known as chaotic
rodrigo_kenvandine, pong14:33
kenvandinehey rodrigo_14:33
rodrigo_hi kenvandine14:34
kenvandinedid seb128 ask you about gnome-contacts yet?14:34
rodrigo_kenvandine, no, not yet14:34
kenvandinewe were hoping you could take a stab at packaging it :)14:34
rodrigo_added to my TODO, so will work on it as soon as I finish a couple of things I have in progress14:35
=== JanC_ is now known as JanC
=== m_conley is now known as m_conley_away
GunnarHjrodrigo_: Hi Rodrigo, time for a quick question?15:09
rodrigo_GunnarHj, yes, sure15:09
GunnarHjrodrigo_: I noticed that the formats, as set via the region widget of g-c-c, are used by gdm to set the applicable LC_* variables. Since l-s will be used also in Oneiric, I'd like to patch gdm so the settings are disregarded. Do you know where/how gdm sets those variables?15:10
rodrigo_GunnarHj, afaik gdm doesn't set them, it's g-s-d15:10
rodrigo_that is, g-s-d does it for sure15:10
rodrigo_it sets the environment for gnome-session15:11
GunnarHjrodrigo_: Aha, then I looked for it in the wrong package. :( Thanks.15:11
GunnarHjrodrigo_: Btw, have you had time to check out the updated g-c-c MP?15:13
rodrigo_GunnarHj, see set_locale function in g-s-d/main.c15:13
rodrigo_GunnarHj, yes, had a look last night15:14
rodrigo_GunnarHj, still not sure that's the correct fix, but need to think more about it and know better the needs in ubuntu and upstream15:14
rodrigo_GunnarHj, will have another look at it15:14
GunnarHjrodrigo_: Ok. Any particular things that make you hesitate?15:15
rodrigo_GunnarHj, not really, just unsure :)15:18
GunnarHjrodrigo_: Have you tried it out by building and installing the three branches? Personally I think that doing so makes it easier to sort things out, compared to just look at code.15:22
rodrigo_GunnarHj, no, haven't, will do15:22
GunnarHjrodrigo_: Ok, let me know when you are ready to talk more about it.15:23
pittijasoncwarner, Sweetshark, bryceh, chrisccoulson, didrocks, tremolux, Riddell, kenvandine, cyphermox, mterry, rodrigo_, seb128, tkamppeter, pedro_: meeting in 7 mins15:23
ricotzpitti, hi, after uploading g-i are you going to take care of gjs too?15:24
pittiricotz: g-i didn't break API/ABI, do we need to rebuild gjs?15:24
ricotzpitti, no, i meant a new upstream version15:24
ricotzit is usefull to keep them in sync15:25
=== kenvandine_ is now known as kenvandine
pittiricotz: not right now, I'm afraid (meeting now)15:30
pittijasoncwarner, Sweetshark, bryceh, chrisccoulson, didrocks, tremolux, Riddell, kenvandine, cyphermox, mterry, rodrigo_, seb128, tkamppeter, pedro_: meeting time15:30
ricotzpitti, that's alright, thanks15:30
* kenvandine waves15:30
tkamppeterpitti, do you know whether didrocks will join?15:31
pittiapparently we are missing seb128 and other guys who hang out at the desktop summit on an almost nonexisting wifi :/15:31
tkamppeterpitti, we shgould perhaps shortly talk about the color management.15:32
pittitkamppeter: ok, queueing after the regular agenda items15:32
pittihttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting/2011-08-09 is still a bit empty, so let's do the copy&pasting of reports to IRC this time?15:33
pittikenvandine: want to start with partner update?15:33
kenvandinesure... tedg has been out, back tomorrow15:33
kenvandineso i don't have a good idea of what to expect for FF from him15:33
kenvandinei am hoping libindicate gtk3 branch merged15:33
pittididrocks announced that therre will be another set of unity/compiz packages15:34
kenvandinei am sure there will be a round of indicator stuff to upload15:34
kenvandinejust not sure what yet15:34
kenvandinegotta love FF week :)15:34
kenvandinenothing else to report...15:34
pittiok, thakns15:35
kenvandinei'll put it on the wiki later today when tedg briefs me15:35
pittiok, great15:35
pittitedg: welcome back :)15:35
pittididrocks is not online, so no unity update15:35
kenvandinehe isn't really back yet :)15:35
tedgpitti, miss you guys ;-)15:35
kenvandinetedg, don't lie :)15:36
kenvandinetedg, i want libindicate :)15:36
pittitremolux: hey15:36
tremoluxpitti: howdy15:36
pittitremolux: interesting changelog on last s-c upload!15:36
tremoluxhah, yes15:36
pittitremolux: seems we are now shipping both gtk2 and gtk3 interfaces in the package?15:36
pittitremolux: mvo promised that the pango bug was "the last issue" :)15:36
tremoluxyes, as I report on the wiki it can now be run as a "technology preview" ;) , just type "software-center-gtk3"15:37
pittiah, was just typing that question :)15:37
pittiwow, with wholly new UI15:38
* rodrigo_ starts it15:38
kenvandinewow... slick!15:38
tremoluxyeah, it's mpt's new design15:38
pittia bit billboard-ish with the huge banner15:38
pitti(I hope that's just a demo?)15:38
tremoluxnzmm has been doing amazing work on this15:38
tremoluxyeah, that's a placeholder but we kinda like it  :)15:39
pittitremolux: anything which we should know for FF?15:39
tremoluxpitti: not sure what you mean?15:40
pittitremolux: like, any major changes planned still?15:40
tremoluxright now, we are still evaluating the state of the gtk3 branch15:40
tremoluxbut other than that, there are no major changes (but still some smaller features)15:41
pittiok, thanks15:42
pittichrisccoulson: do you have something to discuss for thunderbird and friends?15:42
tremoluxthanks a lot, of course feedback on the gtk3 stuff is very welcome15:42
chrisccoulsonpitti - i'm just about to upload the eds contacts integration work from m_conley_away15:42
chrisccoulsonand we have a new theme on the way too, although there's still a few problems with that15:43
chrisccoulsoni've spent the last week trying to debug a firefox beta crash on natty though ;)15:43
chrisccoulson(well, most of)15:43
pitticyphermox: wrt. FF, do you think the C rewrite of modeswitch still has a chance?15:44
cyphermoxI was just discussing this with slangasek15:44
pitticyphermox: or do you want to get this upstream first, and we land in perky?15:44
cyphermoxI'll give upstream one day to release a new release they want to do real soon, and if they don't make it early-ish tomorrow upload the rewrite patch?15:45
cyphermoxif they do, upload that with the rwrite patch?15:45
pitticyphermox: oh, they accepted it?15:45
pittichrisccoulson: so we'll see at least one more round of tbird etc.?15:45
cyphermoxpitti: I haven't seen an actual "yes let's put it in", but Josua appears to be pretty happy with it15:45
chrisccoulsonpitti - yeah. i'm still wondering whether to stay on the beta channel in oneiric for the next 6 week cycle15:46
chrisccoulson(ie, firefox 7 is released 2 days before final freeze)15:46
pittihttps://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-default-email-client still has 8 open items, including calendar events15:46
pittichrisccoulson: hm, my gut feeling is that we sohuld deliver 7 post release then15:46
pittiand ship oneiric with 6 final?15:47
pitticyphermox: great to hear15:47
chrisccoulsonpitti - i'm not sure. delivering it post release will end up leaving people without a security update for a while15:47
pitticyphermox: after the old u-devel@ discussion I was a bit afraid that he insisted on a scripting language15:47
chrisccoulsoni was thinking about just sticking with the beta, as the changes in the last couple of weeks are just minor bug fixes15:48
pittichrisccoulson: what would they release 2 days before final freeze, the final or beta?15:48
cyphermoxpitti: I can't say it will be in 1.1.9, but he seems happy to include it once it's proven to be stable; which should be any time now. Dan Williams helped a lot in testing a bunch of devices with good results15:48
chrisccoulsonie, the beta -> release 2 days before final freeze would literally be just a change in version number15:48
pittiwe can certainly keep up with betas and RCs, but I wouldn't like to ship oneiric with a beta15:48
chrisccoulsonpitti - it woudl be the final release 2 days before final freeze15:48
pitticyphermox: awesome15:48
pitticyphermox: do you need me to do another round of reviews? any problems with my first round?15:48
pittichrisccoulson: ah, so we could test oneiric-beta-2 with 7 beta or RC a least?15:49
chrisccoulsonpitti - yeah15:49
cyphermoxpitti: if you want to; I didn't see issues with the first; though that afaik wasn't completely done either no?15:49
chrisccoulsonpitti - the dates are here btw: https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar15:49
pitticyphermox: right, just reviewed some 58%15:50
pittichrisccoulson: ok, thanks15:50
pittichrisccoulson: I suppose many of the open WIs on the spec shold be postponed now? doesn't look like we can integrate a calendar in just two days?15:51
chrisccoulsonpitti - yeah. there is ongoing work for that, but it's not going to happen for oneiric15:51
pittithanks for the update15:52
chrisccoulsonmpt, did you say you were interested in doing a design for a calendar app btw?15:53
pittitkamppeter: color management?15:53
tkamppeterMost important is that RAOF has packaged colord and after a bugfix in LP it made it into Universe.15:54
rodrigo_tkamppeter, I see most stuff is done, so we just need to get the MIR's approved and the plugin enabled in g-s-d and g-c-c right?15:54
pittiand cups, I think15:54
seb128didrocks has issues with the mir15:55
tkamppeterArgyll is also updated and in Universe, lcms2 has even passed the MIR.15:55
pittiseb128: oh, wb15:55
rodrigo_hey seb12815:55
tkamppeterYes, many MIRs, but one causes a problem: Argyll15:55
seb128argyll which is a recommends is taking some 11mb deb15:55
didrockshey rodrigo_ :)15:55
seb128pitti, thanks ;-)15:55
rodrigo_hi didrocks15:55
tkamppeterbug 82188315:55
ubot2Launchpad bug 821883 in argyll "[MIR] argyll" [High,Invalid] https://launchpad.net/bugs/82188315:55
seb128pitti, we walked back to the hotel to get working internet, sorry we are a bit late15:55
pittiwell, that's not a blocker for main, but certainly a blocker for being on the CD15:56
didrockstkamppeter: we already discussed about it last week, and the room needed is a no-no15:56
tkamppeterWe need to get through at least libicc2 (and the -dev) which is now provided by the argyll source DEB, so the source DEB must go in.15:56
didrockspitti: right, but we need the integration to "pick the right profile on demand"15:56
geserhow long does the retracer usually take to retrace a crash?15:56
seb128upstream is doing that I think15:56
seb128fedora is not shipping argyll on their CD from what I read15:57
tkamppeterdidrocks, now I need a more expert in CM to split the argyll binary package into argyll and argyll-extra ...15:57
seb128so with aptdaemon it should be working15:57
tkamppeterdidrocks, argyll does not contain .icc files to split off.15:57
pittiah, installed on demand from control center?15:57
didrockstkamppeter: how big it is? colord and others are already taking 500kb instead of the 300 advertized15:57
=== MacSlow is now known as MacSlow|break
seb128pitti, yes15:58
tkamppeterdidrocks, the 300kb came from Richard Hughes on his talk on UDS. Before everything got actually packaged (this week) I did not know any real data.15:58
didrockstkamppeter: you can look at the Size: of the package, it's basically the same approximation that we will have on the cd once compressed15:59
tkamppeterWe could do the following perhaps: Put all Argyll stuff into main but install only libicc2 on the CD so that apps like Ghostscript can link against it.15:59
pitticups-common shrank by 600 kB, cups-client grew by 500 kB, but I think we can fix that; if we do, we'd at least have a balanced budget for that, so 500 kB sounds ok15:59
pitti11 mb is too much, though, we don't have the time any more to free that much16:00
pitti(in oneiric; next cycle should drop a whole lot of old stuff)16:00
didrockstkamppeter: right, please can you figure that out?16:00
pittiso install-on-demand sounds good16:00
tkamppeterpitti, so perhaps then leave the argyll main binary package in main but not on CD< optionally installable.16:00
pittitkamppeter: right16:00
pittitkamppeter: I think that's what seb128 said16:00
pittiand presumably is already working16:01
tkamppeterdirocks, so let us pass the argyll source package into main without changes and add only libicc2 into dependencies of packages (via Build-depends: libicc-dev).16:02
didrockstkamppeter: can you exactly explain in the MIR what libicc2 is needed for?16:02
didrocksmaybe it's me, but I didn't get what exactly linking it in Ghostscript does16:03
didrocksand that's a discussion for the MIR itself16:03
tkamppeterdidrocks, I will add our conclusions and this info to the MIR, reopening it ...16:03
=== om26er_ is now known as om26er-afk
didrockstkamppeter: thanks, and can you clarify this as well in it, please? ^16:03
pittididrocks: do you have an unity report for the meeting?16:05
didrockspitti: no time to prepare it, but I can quickly discuss it ther16:05
didrocksso, new unity/nux/unity-2d on Thursday16:06
didrockswith a lot of refactoring and alt + tab by default (managing windows \o/) for new install16:06
didrocksnot sure about compiz, seems not good to mix it with all the changes that are coming16:06
didrocksall should be done for feature freeze, it will be quite short with travelling and such, so maybe will delay it a little (upload in the evening)16:07
didrocksall pieces are coordinated by upstream to ensure we don't have mismatching components for the transition16:07
pittithat should be fine16:07
didrocksthen, I'll prepare the boost transition16:07
pittieven if we miss FF by an hour or so, I'm happy to just wave them through16:07
didrockswill test on Friday, but I won't be there starting next week (holidays)16:07
didrockspitti: thanks ;)16:08
didrocksso seb128 will probably sponsor this changes16:08
pitticorrectness >> inordinary rush16:08
didrocksboost isn't that scary, running temporary running both old and new boost in the same process should be fine16:08
didrocks(the transition is in nux, compiz and unity)16:08
didrocksthat's about it for me :)16:09
pittianything else we should discuss?16:11
* kenvandine is insanely hungry...16:11
pittiheh, +116:11
kenvandinefor some reason :)16:11
pittiso, thanks everyone!16:12
kenvandinewoot... time to eat!16:13
* kenvandine waves16:13
tremoluxsee y'all, thanks16:14
zygamvo, hi16:14
zygamvo, around?16:14
tkamppeterdidrocks, bug 821883 is updated now.16:17
ubot2Launchpad bug 821883 in argyll "[MIR] argyll" [High,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/82188316:18
tkamppeterdidrocks, will you be on the Color Management BoF tomorrow?16:18
tkamppeterI hope I see you all tomorrow on the BoFs about color managament and Common Printing Dialog.16:19
=== om26er-afk is now known as om26er
=== m_conley_away is now known as m_conley
seb128new lightdm is out16:25
seb128mterry: hey16:25
mterryseb128, hello16:25
seb128mterry, kenvandine: how are the indicator patches for lightdm unity greeter mode doing? will that land soon?16:25
mterryseb128, none have been merged AFAIK16:25
mterryBut no negative feedback either16:25
seb128mterry: we got the lightdm vcs fixed so checkout works again, landed a couple of your fixes and others and got a new version out16:26
mterryseb128, yeah, I saw.  I'm working on fixing up the power management branch now16:26
=== mterry_ is now known as mterry
* mterry switches to new laptop for lightdm testing16:27
seb128I though you did run away on me :p16:27
seb128mterry, we were discussion that today16:27
seb128I was suggesting to robert_ancell that we should maybe run g-s-d in the greeter16:28
seb128with only some of the options on16:28
jbichapitti: are you at the Summit this week?16:28
seb128i.e xrandr, power, theme16:28
seb128jbicha, he is, he's not online now though, on his way before the venue and the hotel16:28
seb128jbicha, should I fwd any message?16:28
jbichano, I'll just send him an email, it's not high-priority16:29
mterryseb128, k...  seems reasonable as long as it can function in an environment without g-screensaver, g-session and such16:29
seb128I will check with rodrigo16:30
seb128I've no strong opinion on the topic but that seems an easier way16:30
ricotzseb128, hi, i hope you could look at disabling the gl backend of cairo to make nvidia-blob users happy again ;)16:30
seb128ricotz, hey, not yet, desktop summit has virtually no internet16:30
seb128the wifi is disconnecting every 5 minutes and you can get like 1mb downloaded in an hour16:31
ricotzseb128, hmm, i see16:31
seb128I've internet now16:32
seb128so working on it16:32
mterryseb128, I agree it would be easier and less error-prone than rolling our own16:32
seb128mterry, do you want to look into that?16:32
mterryseb128, sure.  I'll ping rodrigo16:32
seb128mterry, thanks16:32
mterryseb128, robert_ancell was open to it?16:33
seb128he asked me to check with you what you think16:33
seb128but he agreed it's probably easier that redoing that logic16:34
mterryyeah, I'm fine as long as we don't end up running all of gnome again16:34
=== korn_ is now known as c_korn
chrisccoulsonseb128, mterry - slippery slope? ;)16:35
dobeymvo: any ideas re: distutilsextra vs aptdaemon.gtk3widgets?16:36
seb128chrisccoulson, yeah16:36
seb128mterry, right, I want only to do it if it's gsd only and we can just turn on theming, xrandr and power16:36
seb128we don't want keybindings, u1, etc16:37
chrisccoulsondo we need the xrandr plugin?16:37
chrisccoulsonshouldn't it just use what X decides is best (which seems to work quite well here)16:37
chrisccoulsonalthough, i don't know how well that would work if you connect displays at the login screen16:38
seb128chrisccoulson, the issue is that the g-c-c "make it system default" doesn't work without it16:42
mvodobey: not yet, sorry, didn't manage to look into it though :/ maybe pitti has, he wrote the DistUtilsExtra.auto stuff16:46
dobeymvo: ok16:52
dobeymvo: thanks16:52
tkamppetermterry, didrocks has returned bug 821883 to you, seems that it is your part to finalize this MIR.16:54
ubot2Launchpad bug 821883 in argyll "[MIR] argyll" [High,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/82188316:54
didrockstkamppeter: yeah, we discussed that, I'll have no proper time to make a high quality work there16:54
=== m_conley is now known as m_conley_away
cyphermoxbrb: lunch16:57
=== MacSlow|break is now known as MacSlow
tkamppeterI need urgent help: I cannot access my desktop any more. X does not start. Intel chipset.17:08
gesertkamppeter: anything in xorg.log? try also #ubuntu-x if X doesn't start at all17:09
tkamppetergeser, I have only /var/log/Xorg.0.log17:12
tjaaltonfixed already17:13
tkamppetergeser, /var/log/Xorg.0.log does not contain any errors.17:15
tkamppetergeser, tjaalton has helped me to get X back.17:23
tkamppeterAnyone can help me to make lightdm working?17:24
geserwhat's not working there? nothing in the lightdm logfile?17:25
tkamppetergeser, Failed to load session file /usr/share/xgreeters/lightdm-gtk-greeter.desktop: No such file or directory:17:32
geserhave you the default greeter installed? and not just e.g. unity-greeter?17:33
tkamppetergeser, I do not know. Weeks ago I had a problem and someone asked me to install the unity-greeter, but I did not remove anything.17:35
tkamppeterThe unity-greeter also worked for a long time and looked very nice.17:35
geserthe default config looks only for lightdm-gtk-greeter unless you configured lightdm to use unity-greeter17:36
tkamppeterTried "sudo apt-get install lightdm-gtk-greeter" and got a package ...17:37
tkamppeter... and that's it I have lightdm (in the old, ugly layout) again! Thank you very much.17:38
geserlightdm depends on a greeter, and unity-greeter provides it but there is no automatic part to configure lightdm to use it17:38
tkamppeterAnd I can log in!17:38
gesersomeone call probably tell you the key you need to put into the lightdm config file to use unity-greeter instead17:40
tkamppetergeser, now I have another problem: When I ssh to my laptop I get17:43
tkamppetergeser, the PC on which I types the previous line now told to the laptop "User is asking for help" and so the problem on the laptop went away :-)17:45
tkamppetergeser, thank you very much for your help.17:46
=== m_conley_away is now known as m_conley
chrisccoulsonkenvandine, tbird has inbox only mode for the messaging indicator now ;)19:18
* kenvandine hugs chrisccoulson19:21
seb128mterry, still there?20:01
=== om26er_ is now known as om26er
mterryseb128, yup20:29
seb128mterry, subscribed you to the bug20:30
seb128mterry,I've some questions about the gdmflexiserver adding20:31
seb128especially the "let's add an /usr/lib directory to the path" which seems suboptimal ;-)20:31
mterryseb128, writing a comment on the bug now actually20:33
mterryseb128, but let's chat here20:33
mterryseb128, so part of the problem is that kdm-gdmcompat exists, which has solved this in the past for KDM by doing a dpkg-divert20:33
mterryseb128, so I'd like to avoid adding more diverting packages to this mess20:33
mterryseb128, we could add an alternatives symlink, but that would involve mucking with all three packages20:34
mterryThat's why I thought PATH would be simplest and most contained.  And guaranteed to only affect lightdm users20:34
seb128I don't like much the symlink idea20:37
seb128what about having a wrapper in a common binary which call the real binary corresponding to the running dm?20:37
mterryseb128, sure like, a kdm-gdmcompat-enhanced :)20:38
mterryseb128, again, that involves mucking with all three packages, but could work20:38
seb128let me sleep on the idea, no rush to change it20:38
mterryseb128, at that point though, I feel like it would make technical sense to just patch existing kdm-gdmcompat, except for the naming and the oddity of lightdm depending on such a package  :)20:38
* charlie-tca is sorry to be such a stick in the mud on this stuff.20:38
seb128the path tweaking just "feels wrong" to me, I've no strong technical objection20:39
seb128mterry, the path tweak seems to not be working as well20:41
mterryseb128, gar20:42
mterryseb128, I think the tweak got lost when robert_ancell moved where it happened in code.  I'll have to look at that tomorrow20:44
seb128mterry, ok thansk20:44
seb128mterry, ted said he would review your indicator merge requests by tomorrow btw20:44
mterryseb128, awesome20:51
chrisccoulsonhey seb128, how are you?21:00
seb128chrisccoulson, hey21:00
seb128I'm good thanks21:00
seb128the hotel has working internet!21:01
chrisccoulsonnice :)21:01
chrisccoulson"Need to get 800 MB/850 MB of archives". I really need to uninstall some -dbg packages ;)21:03
seb128chrisccoulson, well at least you are not a desktop summit21:03
seb128would take around 5 years to download that21:04
chrisccoulsoni seem to download that every day21:04
bigonan idea why metacity is started by gdm and never killed?21:11
bigonpreventing the shell to start?21:11
bassoi just love beer21:15
bassobut its 7.4%21:15
bassoso its quite an impact21:15
* bigon takes himself an orval21:18
=== m_conley is now known as m_conley_away
kirklandhowdy -- how I prevent my laptop from suspending when I close my lid in Oneiric?  (this is driving me bonkers)22:03
=== _LibertyZero is now known as LibertyZero
stgraberkirkland: dconf-editor is the easiest way I found of doing it22:07
stgraberkirkland: org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power, keys lid-close-ac-action and lid-close-battery-action22:09
stgraberkirkland: I have mine set to "blank" which I guess is what you want too22:09
kirklandstgraber: thanks;  dconf-editor just refuses to let me change the values of those keys :-(22:20
stgraberkirkland: gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power lid-close-ac-action 'blank' && gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power lid-close-battery-action 'blank'22:26
bryceh_stgraber, is it just that a new control applet hasn't been made to do this setting, or is it planned to not provide one at all?22:43
stgraberbryceh_: IIRC it's "by design", but I hope I'm wrong ;)22:47
stgraberbryceh_: because there's a system settings applet for Power that's exposing part of these keys, just not these two (and a bunch more that are also hidden)22:48
bryceh_stgraber, by design by gnome or unity?22:50
bryceh_stgraber, sounds to me like something worth diverging from their design a bit22:52
jbichagnome-tweak-tool has options for those power settings22:53
jbichaat the moment, gnome-tweak-tool depends on gnome-shell but hopefully that can be fixed22:54
bryceh_jbicha, ah, yeah that might be a way to go22:54
jbichait can customize the hidden unity settings...as soon as someone writes the tweakfile for it22:56
jbichait doesn't have full gconf support yet so it might be better to wait for the gsettings version of compiz22:56

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!