=== eeejay_is_afk is now known as eeejay
robert_ancelljasoncwarner_, ping01:07
jasoncwarner_hey robert_ancell01:08
robert_ancelljasoncwarner_, ready for a new unity-greeter test?01:08
jasoncwarner_robert_ancell: going to email me the .deb?01:08
robert_ancelljust sent01:09
jasoncwarner_robert_ancell: got it ... going to log out in a few minutes...01:22
jasoncwarner_robert_ancell: should I clear my greeter log file?01:22
robert_ancellno need, it will override it01:22
robert_ancelljbicha, congrats on joining ~ubuntu-desktop01:23
robert_ancelljasoncwarner_, any luck?01:47
cyphermox_hey robert_ancell01:47
robert_ancellcyphermox_, hello01:47
cyphermox_robert_ancell: mostly just being curious, but how could I go about getting nm-applet to show up in unity-greeter? this used to be possible in GDM just by adding the .desktop file in the right place01:48
cyphermox_it's mostly just useful to people who rely on the network for auth, e.g. those in strict corporate networks01:48
robert_ancellcyphermox_, the applet or the indicator?01:49
cyphermox_ah, indicator01:49
cyphermox_it probably gets caught as an indicator at this point, if other indicators already show01:49
jasoncwarner_robert_ancell: http://paste.ubuntu.com/685703/01:49
jasoncwarner_robert_ancell: I'm stepping out for a bit, so we can debug more when I get back01:50
robert_ancellcyphermox_, it should be there according to the design: https://launchpadlibrarian.net/79251116/login_meassurement-02.png01:50
robert_ancelljasoncwarner_, ok, thanks01:50
jasoncwarner_FYI..still laggy (not sure if you did more than put in debug stuff...) be back in a bit01:50
cyphermox_robert_ancell: ok, so that's already planned if not showing already? (iirc it's not there yet)01:50
robert_ancellcyphermox_, unity-greeter explicitly loads the indicators /usr/lib/indicators3/6/libsession.so, /usr/lib/indicators3/6/libdatetime.so, /usr/lib/indicators3/6/libpower.so, and /usr/lib/indicators3/6/libsoundmenu.so01:51
robert_ancellshould the network indicator just appear?01:51
cyphermox_I think that's missing is just that nm-applet is a separate process to start01:51
robert_ancelloh, is it normally started by gnome-session? (which is not running)01:52
robert_ancellok, we can do that01:52
robert_ancellcan you open a bug on that?01:52
robert_ancellthere may be some work required in the indicator to lock it down so it only displays status01:52
cyphermox_sure, I'll do that later01:52
cyphermox_to lock it down so it only displays status?01:53
cyphermox_that won't work if e.g. you need to bring up a vpn to be able to login.01:53
robert_ancellyou shouldn't be able to change anything from the greeter.01:53
cyphermox_anyway, let's discuss that at a later time, or in the future bug report; I need to go now.. it's late :)01:53
robert_ancellsure, np01:53
jbicharobert_ancell: thanks!01:56
micahgjbicha: are you looking at the gnome-shell failure?01:57
jbichanm connections are system wide now by default so maybe that's less important...01:58
jbichamicahg: oh I had just assumed it was waiting for the new mutter but I see that's not the case so yes I'll work on that now01:59
micahgjbicha: ok, thanks01:59
robert_ancellsmspillaz, hey, how hard would it be to write a trivial wm for unity-greeter.  I just need to detect when dialogs pop up and do some simple decorations02:00
jbicharobert_ancell: do you intend to update Unity's a11y indicator also to match your greeter work?02:12
robert_ancelljbicha, the unity-greeter one is just a hack (it's not even an indicator), but they should be the same02:14
TheMusoThe a11y indicator provided by gnome-settings-daemon only deals with keyboard stuff afaik.02:28
TheMusoSo there is no a11y indicator for the session.02:29
TheMusoAt least in terms of covering everything.02:29
jbichaTheMuso: well the g-s-d menu isn't that great (and even worse, it's broken), making it a proper indicator would be nice02:30
TheMusorobert_ancell: Where does the setting for the user's selected session get stored? I am pretty sure its .dmrc but is there anywhere else? I am trying to set the user session for a11y on the live CD, but do not have root privs with the script that does the work.02:30
TheMusoIt seems the .dmrc I write gets overridden.02:30
jbichaI'm not sure I have the C++ skills to do it myself02:30
TheMusoSo a script is run in ubiquity's try/install mode that writes the .dmrc to set to ubuntu-2d for the ubuntu live user, but when I choose try Ubuntu, this gets overridden and uses the ubuntu session.02:31
=== eeejay is now known as eeejay_is_afk
robert_ancellTheMuso, it's set in AccountsService.  The files are in /var/lib/AccountsService/users/ but you should probably access it through the D-Bus interface and let it write these itself02:33
TheMusorobert_ancell: Ok thanks a lot, will look that up. Dbus-send to the rescue.02:34
TheMusorobert_ancell: I have no choice, as the files are owned and can only be written to by root.02:35
TheMusoi.e dbus is the only option.02:36
smspillazrobert_ancell: writing a wm is never easy03:03
smspillazrobert_ancell: but I guess in your case it would be of limited functionality, you could probably do it inside of the greeter itself03:04
smspillazjust set XSelectInput (dpy, SubstructureRedirectMask | SubstructureNotifyMask); on the root window and then when a dialog attempts to map itself reparent it and then draw some decorations into a simple InputOutput window03:05
robert_ancellsmspillaz, yes, would be in the greeter process.  how do I get a callback when the dialog maps itself?03:06
smspillazrobert_ancell: it will be in your X event handler03:08
smspillazas MapRequest03:08
smspillazand then whenever it tries to do something else as ConfigureRequest03:08
smspillazalthough keep in mind that if you're reparenting the window you also need to set SubstructureRedirectMask on the parent window as well otherwise the dialog will move around within its paren03:09
smspillazif you want to make it so that the parent window is movable too, that's a little more tricky, see section 4 of the ICCCM ("client to window manager communication") for all the stuff that you're required to do03:09
robert_ancellnah, I don't want anything to be movable.  Just fade out the background and plonk  the dialogs in the middle of the screen03:10
smspillazok, easy enough03:10
jasoncwarner_smspillaz: hey...what is going on with the compiz stacking stuff? I still get the dash and alt+tab showing up behind windows quiet often...04:09
jbichajasoncwarner_: did you try unity 4.14 yet? still only in the desktop PPA04:11
jasoncwarner_jbicha: no, I havne't04:11
jasoncwarner_I typically only use it when it lands in ubuntu to see what users are going to see...04:12
jasoncwarner_jbicha: do you think the stacking thing is fixed in the PPA?04:12
jbichaI haven't yet either but it does fix several bugs (not sure about that one in particular)04:12
jasoncwarner_jbicha: ah, ok...I'll see what smspillaz says ...04:12
jasoncwarner_jbicha: is that the one that is coming tonight?04:13
jbichayeah, don't see it on the list: https://launchpadlibrarian.net/79350974/unity_4.14.2-0ubuntu1_source.changes04:14
pittiGood morning04:26
jbichamicahg: were you interested in sponsoring https://code.launchpad.net/~jbicha/ubuntu/oneiric/gnome-shell/
micahgjbicha: well, a little busy this evening, if no one gets to it by the weekend though, I'll take care of it04:26
jbichamicahg: no problem, thanks for pinging me though04:27
micahgjbicha: thanks for fixing04:27
TheMusopitti: Thanks muchly for that fix, latest orca and accerciser now work.04:38
pittiTheMuso: awesome04:44
robert_ancelljasoncwarner_, ok, take 5 with the unity-greeter.  Now with threaded indicator loading04:49
jasoncwarner_ok...did you email?04:49
jasoncwarner_robert_ancell: got it04:50
didrocksgood morning05:03
pittibonjour didrocks05:09
didrocksgood morning pitti, how are you?05:09
pittiquite fine, thanks!05:09
pittididrocks: how about you? pretty early for you after all the unity packaging fest last night?05:09
ajmitchhi didrocks, pitti05:10
didrockspitti: well, as early as usual, I just pushed the "IRC button" a litte bit sooner :-)05:10
didrockshey ajmitch05:10
smspillazjasoncwarner_: I'm working on it05:10
didrockspitti: at least, as everything is in the ppa, I'll have the time to prepare to rdepends rebuild :)05:11
smspillazjasoncwarner_: there is a branch available for testing but its an API break so lets wait for a ppa05:11
smspillazfixed a typo that was messing stuff up this morning05:11
smspillaznow .. who had damage issues with xterm05:11
didrockssmspillaz: it was lool05:12
smspillazlool: was it one where typing would leave trails behind ?05:12
smspillazdidrocks: actually, can you confirm if that was the case ?05:12
jasoncwarner_smspillaz: do you think it will come this week?05:12
smspillazjust type stuff and see if it leaves trails05:12
jasoncwarner_smspillaz: wait...early next week?05:13
smspillazjasoncwarner_: it depends of if testing is done etc05:13
smspillazjasoncwarner_: its not a magic bullet, but it does fix the most difficult one05:13
didrockssmspillaz: did you tried?05:13
didrockssmspillaz: it's pretty easy to get, like "launch xterm"?05:13
jasoncwarner_smspillaz: is this both alt+tab and dash? (assuming they are both related)05:13
smspillazdidrocks: yeah, I got them while I was working on some of the stacking stuff but as I was fixing bugs in the stacking code I noticed that it went away05:13
smspillazjasoncwarner_: so basically there's two bugs here05:13
smspillazjasoncwarner_: there's one where stuff can go on top of panels and the alt-tab05:14
didrockssmspillaz: I still get some trails leaving after typing05:14
smspillazand then there's another one where X and compiz get a bit out of sync05:14
smspillazdidrocks: ok. So I think I might have fixed it somehow [tm] because at least locally I'm not getting that anymore05:14
jasoncwarner_smspillaz: which one do you think you fixed?05:14
smspillazjasoncwarner_: oh, the second one05:14
didrockssmspillaz: nice :)05:14
smspillazjasoncwarner_: which was far more complicated05:14
jasoncwarner_smspillaz: nice...ok05:14
smspillazjasoncwarner_: the first one I just need instructions to reproduce it05:15
jasoncwarner_smspillaz: ok...I look forward to testing! :)05:15
smspillazmaybe I'll make stackingtorturetest a little more ... toturious05:16
smspillazright now it seems to not screw up on 20x20 stacking ops05:16
smspillazso that's good05:16
jasoncwarner_robert_ancell: about to test it now...just finished a couple of emails...I'll be getting you a log in a few minutes...be right back05:17
robert_ancelljasoncwarner_, ok05:17
jbichasmspillaz: have you seen the bug where Files sometimes comes first in Dash search results?05:18
smspillazjbicha: that's not up my alley05:20
smspillazso I don't know what's going on there. better to ask njpatel05:20
didrockspitti: we still haven't defined a process for voting for applications in "our picks", isn't it?05:23
* didrocks wonders if openshot should be there seeing the ratings it has05:23
pittididrocks: oh, I thought we'd do that based on user ratings?05:24
pittibut no, I'm not aware of a process05:24
didrocksjbicha: this one is fixed in next release05:24
didrocksI'll ask on #software-center once mpt is there05:24
jasoncwarner_robert_ancell: http://paste.ubuntu.com/685767/ didn't seem to make much of a difference...05:26
didrocksself.package_names = "armagetronad,calibre,cheese,homebank,stellarium,gimp,inkscape,blender,audacity,gufw,frozen-bubble,fretsonfire,moovida,liferea,arista,gtg,freeciv-client-gtk,supertuxkart,tumiki-fighters,tuxpaint,webservice-office-zoho"05:26
didrocksseems it's still hardcoded :)05:26
pittididrocks: indeed, that seems bad ..05:28
robert_ancelljasoncwarner_, hmm.  could you try the next version I sent you?  It has a little more debugging05:29
jasoncwarner_I thought I instlaled that one...05:29
tremoluxdidrocks, pitti: we are using the hardcoded "our picks" list just for the default banner that will ship with s-c05:30
tremoluxdidrocks, pitti: soon, that banner will become dynamic, and will point to different lists or a single app, as configured on the server05:31
didrockstremolux: excellent, but not for O I guess?05:32
tremoluxdidrocks, pitti: (the current "our picks" is just the old "Featured", reimplemented for the default banner)05:32
tremoluxdidrocks: yep, indeed for O, that functionality is all in place05:32
tremoluxdidrocks: and I think we plan to start rolling out new new banners over the next few weeks05:33
tremoluxdidrocks: we just needed to have something as default until the server-side banners arrive (and after initial install), so we chose the old "featured" list05:34
didrockstremolux: do you know of a process to add one more? I guess seeing the ratings of openshot and how upstream is supportive can be a good move05:36
tremoluxdidrocks: there's really not a process, anybody can nominate an app, probably best to just open a bug if you like and we can add openshot very easily05:37
didrockstremolux: well, I guess we have a realease in few minutes, so maybe time to do the move :)05:37
* didrocks opens a bug05:37
tremoluxdidrocks: that definitely seems like a great one to add05:38
tremoluxdidrocks: thanks!05:38
jasoncwarner_robert_ancell: http://paste.ubuntu.com/685770/05:38
didrockstremolux: I can even propose a patch! :)05:38
tremoluxdidrocks: release in a few hours I hope? (when I get back on)05:38
tremoluxdidrocks: indeed!05:38
robert_ancelljasoncwarner_, could you paste the lightdm.log also?05:39
jasoncwarner_robert_ancell: sure05:39
jasoncwarner_pitti: I just got this crash...05:39
ubot2`Ubuntu bug 553745 in plymouth "plymouthd crashed with SIGSEGV in ply_event_loop_process_pending_events()" [Medium,Confirmed]05:39
jasoncwarner_it effects 566 people?!?!?!?!05:39
tremoluxdidrocks: this release is gonna rock, over 30 bugfixes and I have a couple more in a branch that may go in as well05:40
didrockstremolux: waow! excellent :-) nice work to you and the s-c team :)05:40
jasoncwarner_robert_ancell: http://paste.ubuntu.com/685771/05:40
didrockstremolux: I think mvo will be very happy to see that once he's back!05:40
pittijasoncwarner_: uh, how often do you see this? always?05:40
jasoncwarner_pitti: I just got it for the first time just now05:41
tremoluxdidrocks: prolly  :)  really great work from the team as usual, lots of bugfixes contributed....just awesome05:41
didrockstremolux: bug opened (bug 845370), should I push the fix directly?05:42
ubot2`Launchpad bug 845370 in software-center "add OpenShot to "Our picks"" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/84537005:42
tremoluxdidrocks: sure, go ahead!05:42
didrockstremolux: done :)05:44
tremoluxthanks didrocks05:44
didrocksyw, thank to you!05:44
loolsmspillaz: yes06:38
looldidrocks: eh you were working early!06:39
didrockslool: Julie goes to work early, I have no more reason to try sleeping again :)06:40
loolI have a similar school problem  :-)06:40
loolbut kid is sick today; it's germ-sharing week06:41
didrocksahah, first week :-)06:46
didrocksthis is team building!06:46
SweetsharkGood Morning, Hackers!07:09
pittiguten Morgen Sweetshark07:09
didrockshey Sweetshark!07:11
kamstrupjasoncwarner_: about https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/zeitgeist/+bug/841798 - that trace is from 0.0.11 and not the latest and greatest 0.0.1207:35
ubot2`Ubuntu bug 841798 in zeitgeist "zeitgeist-daemon crashed with RuntimeError in _check_index_and_start_worker(): basic_string::assign" [High,Incomplete]07:35
jasoncwarner_kamstrup: I have a log in my /var/crash...I posted it to the other bug (the one you fixed released last night)07:36
jasoncwarner_want me to pastebin it?07:36
kamstrupjasoncwarner_: yes please07:36
rickspencer3should I be worried that bug #737891 is unassigned?07:37
ubot2`Launchpad bug 737891 in gnome-desktop "[Arrandale] gnome-display-properties unable to correctly enable monitors connected to VGA" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/73789107:37
jasoncwarner_kamstrup: http://paste.ubuntu.com/685796/07:37
kamstrupjasoncwarner_: hmmm, that is a zeitgeist bug, that was supposedly fixed... (ie. not the fts bug)07:38
kamstrupjasoncwarner_: let me check if there are un-packaged zg fixes for this07:38
dpmhey kamstrup, welcome back! :)07:42
dpmand good morning all07:42
kamstrupdpm: thanks :-)07:42
kamstrupand good morning to you sir07:42
pittihey rodrigo_07:59
* didrocks hugs pitti once again for ccache :)08:02
didrockshey rodrigo_!08:02
rodrigo_hi pitti, didrocks08:02
seb128hi ;-)08:05
pittibonjour seb12808:05
seb128hey pitti, how are you?08:05
pittiseb128: FYI, I'm testing the new ptlib/opal/spandsp/ekiga stack right now (just to avoid duplicate efforts)08:05
rodrigo_hi seb12808:05
pittiseb128: quite fine, thanks!08:05
seb128hey rodrigo_, how are you?08:05
pittiseb128: I got the remaining libcamel and libnotify1 rdepends fixed this morning08:05
seb128pitti, ok08:05
rodrigo_seb128, not very well, woke up with some stomach ache :(08:06
rodrigo_seb128, and you?08:06
pittiI hope we can decide what to do with opal/ptlib today08:06
seb128rodrigo_, :-(08:06
seb128I'm fine thanks08:06
pittiand then it's down to porting or killing indicator-applet08:06
pittirodrigo_: uh, that sounds bad08:06
seb128pitti, that's the sort of things I think we loose quality on :-(08:07
seb128pitti, you spending time on the ekiga stack where we don't really care about ekiga08:07
rodrigo_yeah, it's too hot, so I slept with the window open, so I guess I got some cold08:07
seb128I would sync the new version or drop it from the archive08:07
pittiseb128: well, we can't leave it like that, with FTBFS/NBS08:08
pittiseb128: I'm just building everything to see whether it actually works08:08
seb128pitti, that's why I said "sync the new version or drop it"08:08
pittithe current oneiric version doesn't even start up for me08:08
pittiseb128: yes, I fully agree08:08
seb128ok, good ;-)08:08
pitti(it's one merge, and cjwatson already ported to current libav)08:08
seb128or said differently "please don't spend a day trying to fix it"08:08
pittibut I didn't spend much time on it yet, just building everything08:08
pittiseb128: gosh, no08:08
seb128ups unity08:11
seb128one day they will give keyboard focus to what get screen focus08:11
pittiseb128, didrocks: BTW, do you know if there is still some work going on for actually finishing the ayatana scrollbars?08:13
pittiwe still carry this hideous hack in GTK, and as long as we don't put that into GTK properly, we'll never get consistency there08:13
seb128pitti, define finishing?08:14
pittiseb128: well, it's currently a kidn of addon taped to the side of GTK08:14
didrocksquite funny, I was thinking about the consistency just yesterday evening08:14
pittiand it's still not working consistently in all programs08:14
seb128it should be working in gtk softwares in Oneiric08:15
seb128sure it's not working in xul, qt, etc08:15
pittiI guess I'll ask David/cimi once they get online08:15
pittiI was just curious08:15
seb128pitti, no, they don't plan to do something over what they have, at least not on GTK08:15
seb128if they put extra effort into it, it's to get those working for xul (firefox, tb)08:15
pittiseb128: ok, thanks08:16
seb128chrisccoulson_, hey08:26
chrisccoulson_hi seb128, how are you?08:26
seb128chrisccoulson_, I'm fine thanks, how are you?08:26
seb128chrisccoulson_: question for you, does firefox use gtk scrollbars widgets?08:27
seb128or does it emulate them in some way?08:27
chrisccoulson_seb128, yeah, i'm not too bad thanks08:27
chrisccoulson_it uses gtk to draw scrollbars that are styled like gtk08:27
chrisccoulson_but it doesn't actually use gtk widgets08:27
pittichrisccoulson_: so it only uses the file dialog etc.?08:27
chrisccoulson_pitti - yeah, it uses the file dialog08:28
pittiFWIW, nice to see evolution start again, fast, without crashes \o/08:29
pitticyphermox_: ^08:30
seb128chrisccoulson_, so firefox wouldn't get overlay scrollbar even if those were coming from the gtkscrollbar widget properly?08:30
chrisccoulson_seb128, no, it's more likely to break the scrollbar entirely08:30
pittiseb128: versions.html> we keep totem at 3.0 because of clutter, right?08:37
pittiekiga doesn't build against experimental ptlib/opal (2.10/3.10), I'll give the current ekiga upstream version a try08:39
pittinjpatel, didrocks: want me to update bamf to 0.2.98?08:42
seb128pitti, experimental ekiga?08:42
njpatelpitti, please :)08:42
lifelessekiga without /tmp library loading :)08:42
seb128pitti, no they don't want, it's in the ubuntu-desktop ppa08:42
seb128pitti, the new stack upload is blocked on an unity-2d bug didrocks is trying to get sorted with dx08:43
pittiseb128: ekiga> just trying, if it builds it's easier to backport a fix08:43
seb128pitti, but didrocks already did all the update08:43
pittiseb128: ack08:43
didrockspitti: anyway, you would have seen that the branch is already up to date :)08:44
pittididrocks: ah, ok; just looked at versions.html, that's why I'm asking08:44
* pitti will grab accountsservice then, while ekiga is building08:44
seb128pitti, can we sync librsvg?08:44
pittiseb128: already done08:44
pittiseb128: just wanted to check that glib2.0 built, I uploaded it right before going to bed08:45
seb128chrisccoulson_, you are still written down for the gnome-screensaver update!08:45
seb128dpm, hey, there?08:46
pittibah, ekiga 3.3.2 is horribly intrusive08:47
pittithis is a rathole08:47
seb128pitti, it's a standalone application, why just not go with the new version, if it's too broken we can still drop it from oneiric08:47
chrisccoulson_seb128, oh, sorry. i'll look at that in a few moments08:48
pittiseb128: with 3.3.2 you mean?08:48
seb128pitti, yes08:48
seb128chrisccoulson_, no worry ;-)08:48
dpmhey seb128, yeah08:49
seb128dpm, could you accept ted's email about string freeze break?08:49
seb128dpm, sorry ted's email to ubuntu-translators list, which is about a string bring in indicator-session08:50
seb128it's blocking the update08:50
dpmseb128, done now08:50
seb128dpm, thanks!08:50
dpmno worries ;:)08:51
dpmargh, four-eyed smiley08:51
* dpm reads ted's e-mail08:51
OwaisLGuys, I'm dying for unity 4.14. when to expect?08:52
rodrigo_I think I'm going to take a little break to see if I feel a bit better, so bbiab08:52
seb128dpm, you got extra eyes, that how you can watch on everything, I see! ;-)08:52
seb128rodrigo_, hey08:52
seb128rodrigo_, just before you leave, do you mind if I snapshot g-c-c trunk?08:52
rodrigo_seb128, no, I don't mind, but what do you want from it?08:52
seb128rodrigo_, bastien did quite some ui changes recently and I would like to get those in since we are ui frozen already08:52
seb128so the documentation team works on current uis08:53
rodrigo_seb128, ok, do it then, or if you want I can do it later, as you prefer08:53
seb128next tarballs are in 10 days08:53
seb128rodrigo_, I can do it, thanks08:53
seb128rodrigo_, get better, see you later!08:53
rodrigo_seb128, ok, thanks08:53
rodrigo_yeah, hopefully it'll be a tiny break08:53
dpmseb128, do you have a bug number for ted's string freeze break?08:55
seb128ronoc, ^08:55
seb128dpm, I don't know, I asked him to deal with it before leaving yesterday, maybe he just sent the email08:56
seb128dpm, I will get ronoc to file the bug ;-)08:56
seb128ronoc, hey08:56
ronocseb128, string freeze break ?08:56
ronocseb128, hey guys08:56
seb128ronoc, hi08:56
seb128ronoc, yes, to fix the guest-... user name bug you did a string change08:57
seb128ronoc, ted Cc-ed you on the email he sent yesterday08:57
seb128ronoc, title "Freeze breaking in User Menu"08:57
seb128ronoc, can you open a bug about the change and give the number to dpm?08:58
ronocseb128, oh yes, well its part of the spec and it gives the user the option. It can be as it was before when a gsettings switch08:58
ronocseb128, will do08:58
dpmthat'd be great, thanks ronoc and seb12808:58
seb128ronoc, well being part of the spec doesn't mean you don't have to respect the freezes ;-)08:58
seb128ronoc, that's a new string coming late and translators need to know they need to translate it08:59
ronocseb128, yeah sorry I should have got that in before UI freeze08:59
seb128no worry08:59
ronocseb128, did Roberts gtk patch get released ?09:01
seb128ronoc, not yet09:02
seb128let me check if upstream reviewed it09:02
seb128seems they didn't09:02
ronocseb128, will that go out today ?09:02
seb128I don't know, I asked him to ping upstream on IRC for review09:02
seb128I don't feel comfortable distro patching his change without upstream review09:03
chrisccoulson_nice, i could get used to remote debsign :)09:03
ronocok, my two criticals on the i-sound need that patch just so you know09:03
ronocseb128, ^09:03
seb128ronoc, yeah, I'm aware of that and it's on my watch list09:04
seb128I just want to get an upstream review09:04
seb128I will chase them on IRC ;-)09:04
ronocseb128, so will I :)09:06
ronocdpm, this is the bug I used to justify the change yesterday09:06
ubot2`Ubuntu bug 844272 in indicator-session "Guest session displayed with random hash" [Low,Fix committed]09:06
dpmlooking, thanks09:07
pittignagnagna; libpt soname change, etc.09:11
dpmronoc, seb128, I've replied to the e-mail. let me know if that's enough or if you need anything else09:14
ronocdpm, will do thanks09:14
seb128dpm, well, from my side that's enough, it means I can upload right? ;-)09:14
ronocdpm, perfect thanks09:16
dpmseb128, yeah, it makes sense to me -it's not only a cosmetic change-, and I think translators will agree09:17
chrisccoulson_dpm - i guess you're not subscribed to any mozilla lists, so you probably haven't seen this - http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.planning/browse_thread/thread/62b8a2a7d8aa0d00#09:17
chrisccoulson_i wonder if there's any way we could help out there ;)09:17
seb128dpm, thanks!09:18
dpmhey chrisccoulson_, let me have a read...09:18
seb128ronoc, indicator-session uploaded09:20
ronocseb128, sweet, ill get testing09:21
dpmchrisccoulson_, in my opinion they should try to choose just one official tool to submit translations. I myself I'm not involved in mozilla translations because they're just too complex to contribute to. We could offer them to use LP, but afaiui they've always had the loose policy of not having just one tool for translation submissions, so in that sense LP would only be one more. On the other hand, if as we discussed last uds we could get the LP firef09:24
dpmox translations to a stage that are similar to the chromium translations infrastructure in LP, they could definitely benefit from the translations from the Ubuntu community (and others who'd want to join the effort). What do you reckon, do you think this would be something feasible for next cycle?09:24
pittiok, so ekiga 3.3.2 needs ptlib 2.10.2, which doesn't build09:25
chrisccoulson_dpm, yeah, i certainly plan to do that next cycle09:25
dpmchrisccoulson_, cool. Do you know if someone involved in mozilla l10n is attending? It would be interesting to have a discussion with them to see what they think09:26
chrisccoulson_dpm - i don't think there will be anyone involved with l10n attending09:31
chrisccoulson_g'ah, another ABI break in libunity???09:31
seb128chrisccoulson_, yes...09:31
chrisccoulson_these cause me headaches ;)09:32
dpmchrisccoulson_, in that case we should make sure they are aware and can participate remotely09:32
chrisccoulson_dpm, yeah, can do09:32
dpmsounds good. Let's have another chat about it after release :)09:33
xclaessericotz, I see you have latest gnome-shell in your ppa, will that be merged into oneiric soonish?09:35
pittioneiric-changes@> yay new unity love09:37
didrockspitti: unity-2d workaround found, I let some time (nux needs to be built, published, then unity needs to be built, published…) for a correct fix09:43
didrocksstarting rebuilding libunity rdepends for simple ABI break (the API break was only on lenses)09:43
chrisccoulson_no stacking fix though? ;)09:43
didrockschrisccoulson_: one gold rule, no compiz and unity upload the same day :)09:43
chrisccoulson_i can't use the new unity then :(09:44
didrockschrisccoulson_: Monday, some compiz upload, and later next week, there is a stacking patch waiting for testing09:44
didrockschrisccoulson_: but first, Monday compiz ABI break to prepare for the stacking patch09:44
chrisccoulson_ah, ok09:44
didrocks(so again, multiple of rebuilds…)09:44
ricotzxclaesse, i think jbicha should be on it09:46
seb128there is a gnome-shell sponsoring request from jbicha09:46
ricotzthat it is then09:46
didrockschrisccoulson_: can you rebuild thunderbird-gnome-support for the libunity abi break please?09:47
didrocks(dep on 4.0.2)09:47
xclaessericotz, I've seen that he made a package with patch to remove caribou but it failed to build09:47
xclaessebut you packaged caribou...09:47
xclaessewhat's the decision on that?09:47
chrisccoulson_didrocks, it needs more than a rebuild, which is why ABI breaks are  a pain ;)09:47
didrockschrisccoulson_: hum? more than "one"?09:47
Laneylet me take the gnome-shell sponsoring09:47
chrisccoulson_didrocks, http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~extension-hackers/messagingmenu-extension/trunk/revision/67#modules/LibUnity.jsm09:48
seb128didrocks, no, I guess he's saying that tb dlopen the exact soname or something09:48
seb128like it's not only a rebuild ;-)09:48
didrocksah :/09:48
chrisccoulson_seb128, yeah, we use ctypes, which basically does that09:48
didrockschrisccoulson_: will you handle that?09:48
chrisccoulson_didrocks, yeah, can do09:48
ricotzxclaesse, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/84530009:48
ubot2`Ubuntu bug 845300 in ubuntu "[FFe] [needs-packaging] caribou" [Undecided,New]09:48
didrockschrisccoulson_: thanks!09:48
xclaessericotz, ok thanks :)09:50
xclaessericotz, installed your ppa and the shell works perfectly !09:55
xclaessethanks :D09:55
* xclaesse likes when I can do rm -rf /usr/local/*09:56
=== chrisccoulson_ is now known as chrisccoulson
seb128ricotz, do you read the ubuntu-desktop mailing list?10:03
ricotzxclaesse, nice to hear that ;)10:05
ricotzseb128, sorry, i dont10:05
ricotz(at least not regulary)10:05
seb128ricotz, there was some discussion about making an universe desktop set10:06
seb128would include things like shell, etc10:06
seb128I was wondering if you would be interested to work on that with maybe jbicha10:06
ricotzsounds interesting10:07
ricotzit is getting concrete already or is it planned for 12.04+?10:07
didrocksseb128: did you bump the libunity dep on evolution-indicator?10:08
seb128didrocks, no, I noticed it was on the libunity rdepends list after uploading10:08
seb128didrocks, will need an other upload10:08
didrocksseb128: are you up to it?10:09
seb128ricotz, well it's just a matter of doing it, it would be a set similar to ubuntu-desktop10:09
seb128ubuntu-desktop-extra or something10:09
seb128didrocks, yes10:09
didrocksseb128: excellent, thanks :)10:09
ricotzseb128, ok, would be nice to work on that10:10
seb128ricotz, great ;-)10:11
seb128let's see if we can get that rolling10:11
ricotzseb128, did you had a look at the caribou ffe?10:12
seb128ricotz, I'm not in the release team, I can't approve ffe10:12
ricotzseb128, ok, but you can comment on it, what solution is the most sane10:13
seb128ricotz, ok, I will have a look10:13
chrisccoulsonhmm, i'm really hungry today10:14
ricotzseb128, i also thinking about a new rhythmbox snapshot10:14
seb128ricotz, do they ever plan a new tarball? a new snapshot seems like a good thing10:15
ricotzseb128, i have no idea, seem like they dont10:15
rodrigo_is the unity with the broken API in, or not yet?10:24
rodrigo_also, can someone sponsor lp:~ubuntu-desktop/gnome-contacts/ubuntu and lp:~ubuntu-desktop/libwnck/ubuntu ?10:25
pittididrocks: libunity binNEWed, and powerpc build score bumped10:29
didrockspitti: thanks a lot :)10:29
seb128rodrigo_, unity is building10:38
seb128rodrigo_, btw I will not snapshot g-c-c I was looking at trunk, I didn't notice there was a gnome-3-2 already, the stable serie have less ui changes ;-)10:38
rodrigo_seb128, ok10:38
rodrigo_seb128, yes, I thought you wanted those ones10:38
seb128rodrigo_, will look at the sponsoring when I'm done with other things I'm working on10:38
rodrigo_seb128, but yes, there are no big changes10:38
rodrigo_seb128, ok, no hurry, thanks!10:39
=== bschaefer_ is now known as bschaefer
seb128(if nobody beats me to it)10:39
pittiekiga_3.3.2-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb \o/10:39
seb128pitti, \o/10:41
pittihey, and it even works10:41
didrocksbzr st10:42
* rodrigo_ builds brasero 3.1.9010:43
rodrigo_hopefully it's less buggy than 3.0.x10:43
didrocksrodrigo_: oh you started it? ok I stop my build :)10:43
rodrigo_didrocks, oh, sorry10:43
pittirodrigo_: current brasero doesn't even find my CD writer..10:43
didrocksrodrigo_: no worry :)10:43
rodrigo_didrocks, it was on the etherpad under 'updates to claim'10:44
didrocksrodrigo_: can you think about bumping the libunity-dev dep to 4.0.2 please?10:44
rodrigo_pitti, this happens to me also with sound-juicer10:44
rodrigo_didrocks, yes, sure10:44
didrocksrodrigo_: no worry, my bad, was doing the list :)10:44
* didrocks finished with his ABI break then10:44
rodrigo_pitti, in fact, nautilus shows, under Computer, the CD drive when there's no disk, but it dissapears as soon as I put a disk on the drive10:45
didrocksnow, testing the fixed unity-2d and crossing fingers10:45
rodrigo_pitti, I'll try with brasero once it's built10:45
=== bschaefer_ is now known as bschaefer
rodrigo_hmm, it can't even eject the CD tray :(10:47
seb128didrocks, why do we need to bump build-depends?10:47
didrocksseb128: to ensure to take the right one at rebuild (not sure it's published yet)10:47
seb128didrocks, I dislike doing that, I usually wait for the new lib to be build and published on all archs and do no change uploads10:47
seb128basically you screw backports, etc without reason when you bump the build-depends and it's not really needed10:48
didrocksseb128: indeed10:48
rodrigo_so, do I remove the bumped requirement on 4.0.2?10:49
seb128chrisccoulson, bug #841748 about the g-s-d issue, I'm just backporting the fix10:49
ubot2`Launchpad bug 841748 in gnome-settings-daemon "numlock has to be activated on every boot in oneiric" [Low,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/84174810:49
didrocksrodrigo_: yeah, bump your shouldn't upload before it's published on all arch then10:49
seb128rodrigo_, you can let it, I doubt anybody will want to backport that version10:49
didrocksseb128: so you are just arguing for arguing? :p10:50
seb128didrocks, I've no strong opinion either way10:50
seb128I just don't see it as something we should have to do10:50
* rodrigo_ waits for the Frenchmen to come to a decision :)10:50
seb128rodrigo_, upload what you got10:50
rodrigo_seb128, without the bumped requirement? or with it?10:50
seb128rodrigo_, with the bumped requirement10:51
pittiseb128: followed up to bug 836915, FYI10:51
ubot2`Launchpad bug 836915 in opal "opal is missing a b-d on ptlib, which is not in oneiric" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/83691510:51
seb128didrocks did it for everything else10:51
seb128so one extra one will not hurt10:51
seb128chrisccoulson, I reassign bug #835532 to lightdm10:51
ubot2`Launchpad bug 835532 in gnome-settings-daemon "lightdm does not keep numlock status on boot" [Low,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/83553210:51
didrockshum, there is one missing lens on -2d10:52
didrocksfirst one of -3d everytime10:52
* pitti grabs accountsservice update, will merge our chagnes to Debian git and sync10:58
=== MacSlow is now known as MacSlow|lunch
pittiuh, why does dist-upgrade want to pull in -shell, mutter, mesa-utils, and gnome-icon-theme-full?12:12
pittiah, I better wait until unity-2d is built12:14
pittididrocks: do you want to retry unity-2d itself once the libunity dependency failure is sorted out?12:14
rodrigo_ok, I'll try to get some light lunch, bbiab12:18
seb128rodrigo_, good luck I guess!12:24
didrockspitti: sorry, was out for a needed walk :)12:41
pittididrocks: nothing to be sorry about :)12:42
didrockspitti: not sure why it didn't build-dep by itself though, will run it12:42
ricotzseb128, http://people.ubuntu.com/~ricotz/rhythmbox/ https://code.launchpad.net/~ricotz/rhythmbox/ubuntu/+merge/7477112:42
seb128ricotz, thanks12:42
=== MacSlow|lunch is now known as MacSlow
pittihey czajkowski12:50
czajkowskipitti: ello12:52
cyphermox_pitti, seb128: thanks for the feedback on evo13:05
cyphermox_and guten morgen all!13:05
pittihey cyphermox_13:12
ricotznjpatel, hello, using g_list_free_full bumps the glib version to 2.28, perhaps it is worth to replace it?13:17
ricotz... in bamf13:17
=== m_conley_away is now known as m_conley
tjaaltonunity deps seem quite fragile, dist-upgrade just removed it13:32
pedro_any python expert with some time to look at bug 841463 ?13:42
ubot2`Launchpad bug 841463 in rhythmbox "python plugins are currently broken" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/84146313:42
pedro_I'd love to have some plugins back ;-)13:43
pittipedro_: it's due to the plugins importing both the static gobject and dynamic GI13:44
pittican't do13:44
cyphermox_oh, that brings up an issue I noticed yesterday trying to use the NM GI stuff.. can't use an identifier like 80211ApFlags for some reason?13:46
cyphermox_like numbers aren't allowed, or at least not 5 in a row13:46
seb128pedro_, pitti: could be fixed in the new snapshot ricotz asked for sponsor for before13:52
seb128http://people.ubuntu.com/~ricotz/rhythmbox/ https://code.launchpad.net/~ricotz/rhythmbox/ubuntu/+merge/7477113:52
seb128but I will probably not have time to review that before my holidays13:52
seb128I need to run in some 15 minutes and I'm not sure next week13:52
seb128if somebody want to have a look to it next week13:52
pittiseb128: I'll add it to the pad13:53
pittican probably do next week13:53
seb128pitti, thanks13:53
seb128I will be reading emails if somebody needs something13:53
pittimterry: hey Mike, how are you?13:54
mterrypitti, good, what's up?13:54
pittimterry: I'm merging our current accountsservice patches to the Debian git13:54
pittimterry: but your "lightdm" one doesn't apply to 0.6.14 any more; also, it seemed that upstream is willing to commit it once you tell them that it works well enough13:55
pittimterry: do you have some minutes to update the patch and send it upstream again?13:55
mterrypitti, oh right, I saw your update13:55
pittimterry: then I can complete the update, upload to debian, and sync13:55
mterrypitti, yeah, let me update, test it again13:55
pittimterry: rad, thanks13:55
seb128rodrigo_, pitti: do you have any opinion on bug #84486413:57
ubot2`Launchpad bug 844864 in gnome-control-center "Should depend on cups-pk-helper" [Low,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/84486413:57
rodrigo_seb128, looking13:58
seb128we don't use it for the unity session13:58
seb128but it breaks gnome-shell users13:58
seb128since they don't get it installed13:58
seb128we should maybe get gnome-shell to recommends it as a workaround?13:58
rodrigo_oh yes, it's indeed needed for it to work on gnome-shell, so yes, a recommends should be ok13:58
seb128well, where?13:59
seb128it seems pitti denied the mir for it13:59
seb128because we don't use it on unity13:59
rodrigo_I think in g-c-c13:59
rodrigo_oh, if it's not in main, can it be in recommends, or it needs to be a suggests?13:59
seb128so maybe gnome-shell should recommends it as a workaround?13:59
pittiseb128: well, not denied, it just seemed unnecessary13:59
pittias we don't use it in main (or at least not so far)13:59
rodrigo_and why doesn't unity need it?14:00
pittirodrigo_: in unity we use system-config-printer14:00
rodrigo_oh right14:00
pittiI think for oneiric a g-s recommends is better14:00
rodrigo_yes, sounds good14:00
pittiin P or later we might eventually switch over to the upstream applet anyway14:01
pittior can then review the MIR14:01
pittirodrigo_: does that sound acceptable?14:01
rodrigo_pitti, yes, sounds perfect14:01
seb128there is a gnome-shell sponsoring request on the wiki14:01
seb128if somebody wants to sponsor that, fixes the ftbfs14:01
seb128then maybe add the recommends14:01
seb128ok, I need to run for a bit14:01
rodrigo_pitti, can you do it? I can't upload gnome-shell14:02
seb128but I will be back for a bit later and then away for holidays next week14:02
rodrigo_seb128, just in case I don't see you later, have fun! :)14:02
pittiseb128: enjoy your holidays!14:03
seb128thansk ;-)14:03
pittirodrigo_: yeah, can do; noted in the pad for now, I'll just finish accountsservice and my current FFE review round14:04
* pitti already stacked too many things today14:04
rodrigo_pitti, ok, thanks14:04
rodrigo_I'll sponsor the rhythmbox one14:05
mterrypitti, if I test the patch and it works, shall I update ubuntu to 0.6.14 while I'm at it?  Or were you working on syncing us with Deb?14:19
pittimterry: Debian's git already has 0.6.14, I'm applying our patches there14:21
pittimterry: I'd rather like to add the lightdm patch there as well, and sync14:22
mterrypitti, figured, ok.  Will let you know14:22
pittilightdm is in Debian, too14:22
pittimterry: cheers14:22
charlie-tcaspeaking of lightdm, a little help is needed to get bug 845549 resolved, please.14:30
ubot2`Launchpad bug 845549 in lightdm "Do not ship /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/84554914:30
desrtdidrocks: hey14:36
desrtdidrocks: i just got a bug filed against dconf-editor that it has no icon :)14:37
didrocksdesrt: hey! :)14:37
didrocksdesrt: how people dare? I'll ask Julie, she told me she made some progress while we were at the desktop summit, but didn't ask since14:37
desrtjulie was at the desktop summit?!14:38
desrtoh.  i think i parsed that sentence incorrectly.14:39
didrocksdesrt: no, the we was "we" (you, and I and other hackers) ;)14:39
desrtright :)14:39
desrtless a problem with the parsing and more a problem with the semantic analysis :)14:39
didrocksindeed :)14:40
desrtpitti: hey14:53
pittihey desrt, what's up?14:53
desrtpitti: i just grabbed the glib 2.29.90 tarball14:54
desrti extracted it, typed ./configure --prefix=/home/desrt/whatever14:54
desrtthen make14:54
desrtthen make install14:54
desrti have docs installed14:54
pittidesrt: might be because we do out-of-tree builds14:56
desrtpitti: let me check that then14:57
desrtpitti: nope.  still working.14:59
pittidesrt: btw, can you review/ack gtk+ patches?15:04
desrtno.  i suspect not.15:05
desrtmaybe if it was ultra-trivial15:05
pittiwell, I'd say "easy", but not "trivial"15:05
pittidesrt: nevermind, I'll just wait15:05
mterrypitti, updated accountsservice patch in upstream bug15:17
pittimterry: yay you15:17
Sweetsharkjasoncwarner_: ping?15:29
pittimterry: applies and builds nicely now, thanks15:34
pittimterry: seems I can still enable autologin for my user in control-center, though; is that an accountsservice or control-center bug? I. e. does accountsservice have an API whether autologin can be allowed?15:36
pittimterry: (I have ecryptfs)15:36
mterrypitti, I still haven't gotten around to patching that.  That's next (your patch request reminded me).  It doesn't have that API.  May just patch control-center to disallow the UI side15:38
pittimterry: I think a-s should at least fail the call, though15:39
pittibut yes, c-c shouldn't even offer the option15:39
pittimterry: uploaded; let the world explode :)15:39
mterrypitti, true, ideally it would be in both places15:40
* didrocks got the new compiz stack ready for first thing monday morning upload15:41
mterrypitti, do we have code for detecting ecryptfs ?  I assume the old gdmsetup did it?15:41
didrocksno crash yet :)15:41
pittimterry: right, that did it15:41
kirklandmterry: yeah, i explained it to someone before ... look for $HOME/.ecryptfs/*15:41
mterrykirkland, actual content in that folder, or just the folder's presence?15:41
kirklandmterry: (you can be a little more fine-grained than just looking for *anything* in there)15:42
pittidesrt: hm, and now it also works again in our packages; NFC what happened back then :/ thanks for checking anyway15:42
kirklandmterry: specifically, look for $HOME/.ecryptfs/Private.sig, ensure that there's either 1 or 2 lines in that file, and that there's a $HOME/.ecryptfs/wrapped-passphrase file, and that $HOME/.ecryptfs/auto-mount exists15:42
didrocksmterry: that's what I did for gdm, it worked well15:42
desrtpitti: heh.  no problem.15:42
didrockskirkland: I guess it was me, like a year and half ago :)15:42
desrtpitti:  i did a bunch of docs cleanups for the last release.  maybe i fixed something by accident while poking around.15:43
kirklandmterry: that's what the pam_ecryptfs looks for, in order to verify a setup15:43
mterrykirkland, phew, OK15:43
kirklanddidrocks: howdy :-)15:43
kirklandmterry: if you want, i can make an ecryptfs-verify-private shell script that exits 1 or 015:43
kirklandmterry: won't be this morning, but I could do it later today/this weekend15:44
mterrykirkland, that would be cute (especially since looks like we may have to do this in a couple places)15:44
mterrykirkland, ideally it could take a user argument too, since one place we have to do it is a root daemon15:44
kirklandmterry: can you open a bug against ecryptfs-utils, assign me, mark triaged/high, nominate for oneiric, propose against beta?15:44
mterrykirkland, sure15:45
kirklandmterry: and I'll bang that out after my PowerNap presentation this morning at Plumbers15:45
mterrykirkland, thanks a bunch!15:45
kirklandmterry: np15:45
mterrykirkland, bug 84573815:47
ubot2`Launchpad bug 845738 in ecryptfs-utils "Add ecryptfs-verify-private script" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/84573815:47
kirklandmterry: cheers15:47
pittithere, all pending stuff sponsored16:09
pitti(on the pad)16:09
=== eeejay_is_afk is now known as eeejay
=== eeejay is now known as eeejay_is_afk
=== eeejay_is_afk is now known as eeejay
didrockspitti: \o/16:21
pittinow only gnome-screensaver is missing16:22
pittichrisccoulson: ^ if you are buried, I can take over on Monday, if you want16:22
chrisccoulsonpitti - i'll get around to it. i've been doing some messaging menu work this afternoon though16:23
didrockstremolux: software-center sponsored :)16:26
tremoluxdidrocks: \o/ thanks!!16:26
didrockschrisccoulson: do you think you will be able to clean the libunity rdepends soon? (you are the latest one! :))16:26
didrockstremolux: yw ;)16:26
chrisccoulsondidrocks, i will do it when we get the new thunderbird beta (probably early next week), and have some other fixes too16:27
chrisccoulsoni'm reluctant to DoS an armel builder for a day just to alter a dependency ;)16:27
didrockschrisccoulson: you are keeping an old library on the CD, cd space, cd space, cd space :)16:27
didrocksok, it's quite small :p16:28
chrisccoulsoni will fix it, but i don't want to do an upload just for that :)16:28
didrockschrisccoulson: sure thing!16:28
pittitremolux: impressive s-c changelog!16:32
tremoluxpitti: crazy, eh?! kiwinote wins the prize for sheer number of bugfixes, wow16:33
chrisccoulsonnice :)16:33
tremoluxpitti: it feels really good and stable16:33
pittirelease meeting is almost over, so happy weekend everyone!16:34
didrocksenjoy your week-end pitti!16:39
jbicharicotz: I believe I'm missing a few runtime dependencies in the latest gnome-shell I pushed, how do I find those?16:58
jbichado I need to just run a clean install and add stuff until it works?16:59
ricotzjbicha, testing it ;)17:03
ricotzdid you compared it with the ppa package?17:03
ricotzotherwise using "grep -r ..." helps17:03
didrockshave a good week-end everyone :)17:05
jbicharicotz: looks like I was missing libgudev-1.0-dev and gir1.2-accountsservice, the second one at least is preventing people from running Shell17:09
ricotzjbicha, ok17:10
Sweetsharkpitti: I have a 3.4.3-1ubuntu1 almost ready. It finished building here and I am copying to porter-armel for heating its room over the weekend.17:27
Sweetsharkif that succeeds we should be good to go for sponsored on ~monday17:31
jbichaanyone able to sponsor https://code.launchpad.net/~jbicha/ubuntu/oneiric/gnome-shell/
BigWhaleAre Firefox and D-BUS related in any way?18:13
Sweetsharkjasoncwarner_: ping?18:53
cyphermox_BigWhale: depends what you intend by related. if you describe the issue you're seeing I might be better able to guide you to a solution19:02
ubot2`Ubuntu bug 680444 in dbus "dbus-daemon eats 100% cpu and is not responsive" [Undecided,Fix released]19:02
BigWhalecyphermox_, it seems related to this bug19:02
BigWhaledaemon eats all the CPU and system locks up for few seconds19:02
BigWhalefirst I thought that my hacking on gwibber is doing it, because it is using dbus but now it is happening without gwibber :>19:04
cyphermox_are you on kubuntu by any chance?19:04
cyphermox_anyway, I don't think it's the same bug19:04
BigWhaleand this starts happening after a day or two of uptime19:05
cyphermox_but you could probably see what ties up dbus if your dbus-monitor --monitor19:05
BigWhalehmmm I just got something on strace19:06
BigWhalecyphermox_, http://pastebin.com/YxqTSQy419:06
BigWhaleand there's a lot of it19:06
cyphermox_chinese to me; certainly there is something else that leads to that. or maybe ltrace tells more19:07
BigWhaleI'll see what --monitor returns19:08
BigWhaleand then file a bug19:08
BigWhalehmmm I got something. I'll wait for 'another cycle' to confirm it :>19:13
jcastroLaney: ping19:14
BigWhalebad, dbus, bad!19:22
Laneyhi jcastro19:24
jcastrohey so, dobey published a fix in his PPA19:25
jcastroand it "feels" much better for me19:25
jcastrobut that's kind of unscientific. :)19:25
Laneyyeah I saw the diff19:26
RAOFBigWhale: I was seeing indicator-datetime perpetually hitting evolution's dbus interface to grab the calendar; that was pinning dbus-daemon at 100%19:28
BigWhaleHmmm you might be onto something.19:28
Laneyjcastro: yeah, much better for me too.19:30
jcastroleave a comment on the bug19:30
Laneyalready did19:31
jcastroLaney: do you still get some grey window action after though?19:31
jcastrolike, it draws the window frame19:31
jcastrofills it with grey19:31
BigWhaleRAOF, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dbus/+bug/845942 I just filed this and the dbus-monitor did show a lot of entries for org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Calendar19:31
ubot2`Ubuntu bug 845942 in dbus "dbus-daemon eats all the CPU rendering whole system unusable for a few seconds" [Undecided,New]19:31
jcastro*tick* *tick* then the UI fills in19:31
RAOFBigWhale: I think I also filed a bug about this, but maybe not.19:32
chrisccoulsonyeah, i've had the indicator-datetime spamming dbus issue for quite a while too19:33
BigWhaleit is highly annoying, but I am glad that it is not happening because of me :>19:33
RAOFNope, I didn't.19:33
dobeyjcastro: i get that anyway with banshee, without the u1ms extension. very short, but it's there19:33
LaneyI see that for maybe 0.5 seconds19:34
dobeyjcastro: probably from the custom widgetry19:34
dobeywindows widgets + redraws == slow19:34
dobeyerr, windowed19:34
om26eri have backported a fix from unity trunk to fix a bug which came in with today's update, i have it in my branch for lp:~ubuntu-desktop/unity/... I did not use any patch system just patched the source is it ok for me to get it sponsored20:08
om26eri saw didier or seb did not use any patch system for unity backports20:09
om26erheh seb128 is here :)20:10
om26erseb128, hi I have a branch to fix a regression that came in with todays update of unity20:10
om26ermy branch is not using any patch system would that be ok?20:10
seb128om26er, yeah, for unity better to just do a merge request against trunk and ask for a backport20:11
om26erseb128, thank you i'll get it sponsored20:12
om26ermicahg, ^^20:12
* micahg still doesn't understand the answer WRT a patch system20:13
seb128the way it works is that you bzr merge the trunk revision or merge request in the packaging vcs20:19
seb128i.e no patch system20:19
seb128but usually it's better to get the fix in trunk first so there is no conflict, next update will just see it as a revision already checked in and resolve it20:20
micahgok, well, it's your package, so you can do what you want, it just seems messy in the case of multiple patches (BTW, there's a bzr addon to convert a revision to patch now IIRC)20:21
seb128why? you can backport the revision you want, bzr merge-upstream will do the right thing on the next update20:22
seb128it will just skip the revision which were backported, or just handle it as it should20:23
om26ermicahg, would you be willing to sponsor it for me?20:24
micahgif you need to pull a patch later that was patched earlier20:24
seb128if you feel unsure wait on monday when didrocks is around, it's friday evening 10:30pm there, I just connected to check my email since I called it a day early, I'm not wanting to start on work20:24
micahgom26er: sorry, I cannot yet20:24
seb128you don't pull patches, you backport commits from trunk20:24
seb128you can backport extra commits later if you want20:24
micahgseb128: I believe you, just seems a little weird to me, but you know what you're doing, so I"m not worried20:24
seb128the same way commits apply to trunk they apply to the ubuntu vcs20:24
om26ermicahg, np ;)20:25
seb128why is it weird?20:25
seb128the ubuntu package is trunk with a debian dir20:25
seb128but yeah, better to let it for didrocks20:25
micahgright, but if I pull r500 and then want to backport r490 after that, I might end up with unnecessary conflicts20:25
seb128it seems a minor issue anyway, not a stopper20:26
seb128well usually you don't backport backward20:26
micahgwhereas, if they're quilt patches, I can put r490 before r50020:26
seb128like that commit would be the first since the current tarball20:26
micahgseb128: indeed, but if something's found to be a bug later, but was already fixed, that could happen20:26
seb128well as long as the diff apply you can backport them backward20:26
seb128bzr just will record what revisions you backported20:27
seb128well it could20:27
micahgit's an edge case, but one that a patch system is meant to help with20:27
seb128in practice with unity and weekly tarballs it's not an issue20:27
seb128it's easier to bzr merge a revision20:27
seb128and have to do nothing with the next update20:28
seb128no patch system to use, no revision to drop, the merge just figure it out20:28
seb128it's one command one way and zero on the upgrade20:28
seb128easier that to deal with quilt, dropping the patch on the next update etc20:28
Laneysmall point, but you should put single-debian-patch in debian/source/options then20:30
Laneythen you don't get the ugly debian-changes-VERSION patch20:31
Laneyit's a perfectly valid workflow with vcs maintained packages20:31
seb128Laney, we use debian source v120:32
Laneythat's not what i'm seeing20:32
seb128source v3 and vcs sucks20:32
seb128yeah, I think unity didn't get reverted back, I did revert a few other ones20:32
Laneyyou can put unapply-patches in debian/source/local-options to make it suck less20:32
seb128ok, thanks, I will look at it20:32
seb128so far I just got back to source v1 for those20:33
jbichaLaney, what does that do?20:33
Laneyunapplies patches after the build20:33
Laneyto keep a clean tree20:33
Laneybut as it's in local-options it doesn't get exported to the source package20:34
jbichadoes that keep the .pc directory out of Launchpad?20:34
Laneyauto imports won't get it20:35
Laneyit's annoying because you want patches to be applied so that bzr blame works20:40
Laneybut .pc makes it unworkable20:40
=== m_conley is now known as m_conley_away
broderi'm getting a compiz hang (on natty) in DRI2GetBuffersWithFormat. is there anything in particular i should look for, patches i should cherrypick or anything?22:16
=== cyphermox_ is now known as cyphermox

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!