=== noy_ is now known as noy
=== smb` is now known as smb
=== doko__ is now known as doko
=== lag` is now known as lag
=== TheDaniel0108 is now known as Daniel0108
=== davidcalle_ is now known as davidcalle
=== SWAT__ is now known as SWAT
* stgraber waves15:00
* slangasek waves15:00
meetingologyMeeting started Wed Oct 19 15:00:41 2011 UTC.  The chair is slangasek. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AlanBell/mootbot.15:00
meetingologyAvailable commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired15:00
slangasek[TOPIC] lightning round15:01
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: lightning round
slangasek$ echo $(shuf -e cjwatson barry doko stgraber jhunt mvo ev bdmurray slangasek)15:01
slangasekcjwatson mvo slangasek ev barry doko jhunt stgraber bdmurray15:01
slangasekcjwatson: you win!15:02
cjwatsonopening precise; lots of syncs, merges, NEW processing, build fixes, ...15:02
cjwatsonmain needs-merge graph looks really good so far, thanks to everyone who's been working on that15:02
cjwatsonconcentrating on the libjpeg transition, since that's big and caused several failures; also trying to keep on top of Pre-Depends additions for xz-compressed binary packages15:02
cjwatsonlooking into optimising cron.germinate; seems to be at least 7 minutes of room for improvement here; LP a bit non-committal on whether this would let us run the publisher */30, but might be possible15:02
cjwatsonfurther optimisation of cdimage mirroring; now under 10 seconds for a no-op sync, and down to sensible times when we actually have to mirror anything15:02
cjwatson+1 maintenance team proposal15:02
mvoapt: merge/upload new version to precise, work on cherrypick for  #868977, #672314 to oneiric-proposed15:03
mvosoftware-center: add missing recommends on lzma for bug #868188, planning work, debug/fix steel storm2 desktop file bug, work on review languages and sorting, work on unicode_literals version (lp:~mvo/software-center/unicode_literals) to fight the str/unicode mess, add workaround for the white pixel border bug, look into startup time regression, commit one trivial workaround to trunk15:03
mvoupdate-manager: update for precise, SRU work, add postgresql to the removal blacklist and reupload (#871893), fix screensaver poke, fix crash when packages get downgraded (#873411, comment #8), honor dpkg desired  install state (dpkg --set-selection state), some work on #859373, mostly diangose, cyhermox is the man15:03
ubottuLaunchpad bug 868188 in software-center (Ubuntu) ""Internal Error ...google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb could not be opened"" [Medium,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/86818815:03
mvoapt-btrfs-snapshot: fix another issue with incorrect fstab lines (#873411, comment #7)15:03
mvocups: test/upload fix for the upgrade issue #87483515:03
mvomisc: apt-clone, unattended-upgrades updates15:03
mvoreview/sponsor compizconfig-backend-gconf upload for #207065 (yes, really low bugnumber)15:03
mvoapturl: debug/fix multiarch pkgname parsing (LP: #872146)15:03
mvoupdate-notifier: upload new -prposed version with fix for overlong menu text (#871691)15:03
slangasekworking on getting upstart into a state that it can be used in Debian (groundwork in sysvinit and lsb-base); maybe we can get a few more packages turned into syncs that way...15:04
slangasekworking through my own list of merges for precise15:05
slangasekbroke ia32-libs in precise - it'll fix itself when everything is multiarched15:05
slangasektracking various SRUs for oneiric (bug #874130, bug #871083, et al)15:06
ubottuLaunchpad bug 874130 in krb5 (Ubuntu Precise) "Canonicalize fallback only works for different realm (MITKRB RT #6917)" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87413015:06
ubottuLaunchpad bug 871083 in pam (Ubuntu Oneiric) "package libpam-modules 1.1.3-2ubuntu1 failed to install/upgrade: ErrorMessage: './usr/share/man/man8/pam_shells.8.gz' is different from the same file on the system" [Medium,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87108315:06
ev - Release week sprinting.15:07
ev- Fixed some interesting bugs in ubiquity found during smoke testing and15:07
ev  pushed out a new version into Precise.15:07
ev- Chat with mvo on downloading external resources in dpkg (flash,15:07
ev  msttcorefonts), and queueing package installations in15:07
ev  software-center/update-manager (language packs at install).15:07
ev- Meeting with Kate to discuss her requirements for the crash database and15:07
ev  metrics.15:07
ev- Post-release ubiquity bug triage.15:07
ev  - Still lots of disk errors. Wubi will help here, but I wonder if we should15:07
ev    start looking for squashfs errors in syslog or if there's a better API for15:07
ev    this.15:07
ev- Wrote Precise blueprints for uploading to trunk and rdepends testing.15:07
ev- Created USB disks for the Ubuntu Shop and wrote up checksumming instructions15:07
ev  for the supplier, given Robbie's recent disaster.15:07
ev- Investigated how and where we're using the gstreamer automatic codec15:07
ev  installation for Christian.15:07
ev- Started researching Cassandra and other bits and pieces for crash and15:07
ev  metrics.15:07
ev- Wrote a test for ubiquity to verify that we have a completely translated15:07
ev  interface.  Annoyingly this requires a whitelist for a small set of widgets15:07
ev  that we translate on the fly, as the page they're associated with is run.15:07
mvoev: I would love to hear more about the verify that the interface is translated test, I want this too for s-c :)15:08
slangasekglad to see that NM regression fixed so quickly in SRU15:08
slangaseks/regression/mid-upgrade breakage/15:09
evso then it didn't get cut off?15:09
cjwatsontranslated or translateable?15:09
evtranslated - it overrides translate_widget adn does the lookups itself15:09
mvoI assume you use a fake language like "mirror" or something that can be "auto-translated"? or how does it work?15:09
cjwatsonI'd call that translateable I think, but OK, good :)15:09
everr yes15:10
barryi often use a fake 'rot13' language for stuff like that :)15:10
mvonice as well15:10
slangasekdetection of missing translations - very nice :)15:10
barrymvo: that's what they speak in Feedonia15:11
barryer, Freedonia15:11
slangasekbarry: you're up15:11
barryah, sorry didn't see ev's "done"15:11
barrysyncs, merges, blueprints; investigated didrocks i18n crasher bug & wrote blog post; review rfc 6377; pypi testing experiment & TIP mailing list post; bug 813146 debugging; done.15:11
barry 15:11
ubottuLaunchpad bug 813146 in linux (Ubuntu Precise) "kernel panic when running Python test suite on ecryptfs" [Critical,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/81314615:11
evslangasek: it kept biting me (and writing the test even found one more missing one, yay)15:12
slangasekev: right, good demonstration of the value of automatic testing :)15:13
barryslangasek: one nice thing to the pypi testing work is that a few other related projects have come out of the woodwork.  we're discussing merging/collaboration15:13
slangasekbarry: great!15:14
barryev: those folks haven't spoken up, but pyti is one and pycheeseshop is another15:15
barry(pyti being a gsoc2011 project)15:15
barry(i'm done btw)15:15
doko- precise opening with some initial changes15:16
doko- fix ARM libobjc and libjava bootstrap failures on GCC trunk15:16
doko- work on component-mismatches, pester some people, fixed -perl packages15:16
doko- some MIRs15:16
doko- syncs and merges15:16
jhuntIn London last week for sprint. Spent a lot of time working on bug15:16
jhunt849414 / bug 553745. Still unable to create. Reason this problem "comes15:16
jhuntand goes" I think is due to us switching off apport post release. I've15:16
jhuntrequested users with the problem re-enable and send us some logs if they15:16
jhuntcan grab one. Now switched back to Upstart. I now understand the15:16
ubottuLaunchpad bug 553745 in plymouth (Ubuntu Maverick) "plymouthd crashed with SIGSEGV in ply_event_loop_process_pending_events()" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/55374515:16
jhuntTEST_ALLOC_FAIL issue I was seeing (TEST_ALLOC_FAIL is an evil but very15:16
jhuntuseful invention). Currently going through Upstart job logging test code15:16
jhuntand enabling TEST_ALLOC_FAIL for it (this is slow as you need to track15:16
jhunteach alloc call and the logger has various failure paths that vary the15:16
jhuntnumber of alloc calls). Plan: finish Upstart tests and get this feature15:16
jhuntinto Precise "real soon now", get NIH multi-arched (started with15:16
jhuntstgraber last week). Out this Friday. Wednesday Wish: that someone would15:16
jhuntfix bug 861268 :)15:16
ubottuLaunchpad bug 861268 in xorg (Ubuntu) "text corruption in terminals (xterm, urxvt) and emacs" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/86126815:16
stgraber- Was in London last week for the release sprint, testing/breaking/fixing the world15:17
stgraber- Took Monday off15:17
stgraber- Started looking at bug 87682915:17
ubottuLaunchpad bug 876829 in ifupdown (Ubuntu Precise) "Oneiric's ifupdown breaks ip aliases" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87682915:17
stgraber- Registered a few specs for UDS, still quite a few more to discuss and register15:17
stgraber- Spent a bit of time talking about app isolation (arkose, apparmor, arb-wrapper, ...)15:17
stgraber- Got my first Precise container running15:17
stgraber- Started discussing what's needed to make Edubuntu 12.04 an LTS release15:17
stgraber- TODO15:17
stgraber - Patch pilot this afternoon15:17
stgraber - Go through the merges where I'm touched-it-last and hopefully grab a few from Colin's list15:17
stgraber - Initial upload of ltsp and ldm in Precise so we can do some work on it at the LTSP hackfest next week (as the Debian maintainer will also be there)15:17
stgraber - More pre-UDS planning (ISO tracker, recovery mode, local DNS resolver by default, Edubuntu, ...)15:17
stgraber - Publish the automated IPv6 testing and get it running on Precise. Prepare a short demo for the testing in Ubuntu event at UDS.15:17
stgraber - See how I can help James getting libnih ported to multi-arch so we can get non-x86 containers running on x86 hardware15:17
stgraber - Try to spend some time on the ARB queue, we have quite a few apps in there that need packaging/review15:17
barryjhunt: nice "done" character :)15:17
slangasekdoko: nice job with the MIRs; components-mismatches looks much better than the flurry of post-opening emails would have suggested15:18
bdmurrayreassignment of no package apport-bug reports to the correct package15:18
bdmurraywrote a bug bot function to take care of these going forward15:18
bdmurraydescrption based no package assignment testing15:18
bdmurraybug bot fix for private people and patch subscription15:18
bdmurraywrote and uploaded and apport-pacakge hook for synaptic15:18
bdmurraymodified cheese apport package hook to file bugs about linux (LP: #793950)15:18
bdmurraydata visualization brainstorming15:18
bdmurrayfixing of bug stats scripts to take into account Incomplete changes15:18
bdmurrayfixing bugstats-complete on cranberry to count private bugs15:18
bdmurrayresearch into flashplugin-downloader bug 870281 and out of date mirrors15:18
bdmurraywrote a bugpattern for flashplugin bug 87064315:18
bdmurraywrote a bugpattern for 873397 (ubiquity adobe acrobat and archive.canonical.com)15:18
ubottuLaunchpad bug 870281 in flashplugin-nonfree (Ubuntu Oneiric) "installer crash when user choose to install additional software: http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/a/adobe-flashplugin/adobe-flashplugin_10.3.183.10.orig.tar.gz doesn't exist" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87028115:18
bdmurraysru of bug fix for bug 207065 for Lucid15:18
ubottuLaunchpad bug 870643 in flashplugin-nonfree (Ubuntu) "package flashplugin-downloader failed to install/upgrade: wget: unable to resolve host address `archive.canonical.com'" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87064315:18
ubottuLaunchpad bug 207065 in compizconfig-backend-gconf (Ubuntu Lucid) "Bad Compiz Bindings Bug" [Low,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/20706515:18
jhuntbarry: ☺15:18
bdmurrayubiquity bug cleanup of install failures due to media errors on hard disks (not just cd drives)15:18
bdmurraywrote a udd query for ubuntu bug reports with the same bug watch15:18
slangasek861268 - eep15:19
cjwatsonslangasek: not to minimise doko's work, certainly, though some of the component-mismatches stuff was because I'd been a bit too hasty in telling it to look at armhf15:21
slangasekcjwatson: ah15:21
cjwatsonturning that back off avoided some of the insanity, after doko pointed it out to me earlier today15:21
dokowell, still ~30 -perl left, and ~25 -java (resolved by jamespage)15:22
slangasekbdmurray: could we have http://reports.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/foundations-bugs/foundations-bugs-next-milestone-important-bug-tasks.html pointed at oneiric-updates for a bit?15:22
dokobut it's indeed understandable again15:22
dokopeople really should get an email, when a package enters into dep-wait15:23
bdmurrayslangasek: sure15:23
cjwatsondoko: are you dealing with promotions as you go along, or should I be watching the mir-track list?15:23
slangasekbdmurray: thanks!15:23
slangasekdoko: does that not happen?  I thought it did15:23
dokocjwatson, yes doint so15:23
dokoslangasek, did you see one for your cron merge? ;-P15:23
cjwatsondoko: great, thanks15:23
slangasekdoko: I saw mail for it, but that might be just because I receive the component-mismatches diffs! :D15:23
dokoahh, I don't get those15:24
slangasekI'll MIR that soon, fwiw15:24
slangasek[TOPIC] Precise blueprints15:24
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Precise blueprints
slangasek(not to be confused with "precise blueprints")15:24
slangasekpublic service announcement... please get blueprints filed by the end of this week, so we can get them on the UDS schedule in time to let the schedule *settle*15:25
slangasekany questions? :)15:25
* mvo nods15:25
evslangasek: I've sent you an email about that15:25
slangasekev: will reply right after the meeting15:26
slangasek[TOPIC] Bugs15:26
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Bugs
slangasekbdmurray: any interesting bugs popping out of the woodwork post-release?15:26
bdmurrayslangasek: this report has quite a few on it http://reports.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/foundations-bugs/foundations-bugs-recently-important-bug-tasks.html15:27
bdmurraybug 836378 for example15:28
ubottuLaunchpad bug 836378 in grub2 (Ubuntu) "Oneiric upgrade, boot hangs at error: symbol not found: grub_divmod64_full" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/83637815:28
slangasekhmm, bug #874518 looks like a duplicate of bug #87413015:28
ubottuLaunchpad bug 874518 in openssh (Ubuntu) "ssh with kerberos fails after upgrade to 11.10" [High,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87451815:28
ubottuLaunchpad bug 874130 in krb5 (Ubuntu Precise) "Canonicalize fallback only works for different realm (MITKRB RT #6917)" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87413015:28
cjwatsonbdmurray: yet another case of misconfiguration, not new15:29
slangasekcjwatson: you have a bucket for that bug then?15:29
cjwatsonbasically *every* "symbol not found" error in grub2 is a local misconfiguration15:29
cjwatsonI'll reply to it15:29
slangasekheh, I guess those would be hard to bugpattern15:30
slangaseksince they tend to be filed by hand15:30
bdmurraywell the bug bot could do something though15:30
=== beuno is now known as beuno-lunch
slangasekcjwatson: can you work with bdmurray to figure out what the bug bot should do?15:31
slangasekbug #877194 looks like a system that hasn't been properly upgraded to natty in the first place..15:33
cjwatsonI guess15:33
ubottuLaunchpad bug 877194 in update-manager (Ubuntu) "do-release-upgrade in console to oneric fails: SystemError: E:Could not perform immediate configuration on 'multiarch-support'. Please see man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)" [High,Incomplete] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87719415:33
cjwatsonI don't know if I'm comfortable with them being auto-closed though15:33
cjwatsonI think people would prefer to interact with a human here rather than a bot15:34
slangasekcjwatson: your call15:34
evjust auto mark them as incomplete, then it doesn't have to be on your conscious when they're closed ;)15:34
bdmurraycjwatson: I don't think closing is necessary but giving people some direction to head in or tagging the bugs so they can be dealt with in batches may help15:34
cjwatsonhow about tagging any grub2 bug whose summary matches "symbol not found" as grub-modules-skew, then?15:36
bdmurraythat sounds fine to me15:36
cjwatsonand maybe ask for the output of 'sudo debconf-show grub-pc | grep install_devices'15:37
slangasekwhat about bugs on grub1 (which is where this one was filed)?15:37
slangasekthere's also bug #858122 which is a major pain for upgrading... we really need to deploy some workaround for these users that have had insserv run on their systems against their will.  someone want to volunteer to look at that?15:38
ubottuLaunchpad bug 858122 in Release Notes for Ubuntu "incomplete migration to /run (shutdown script order has been demolished)" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/85812215:38
bdmurrayslangasek: might there be duplicates of that bug lying around / hidden elsewhere?15:39
bdmurrayand what would I look for?15:40
slangasekprobably not easily autodetectable15:40
cjwatsongrub(1)> yes15:40
cjwatsonI've followed up to bug 836378 now with detailed explanation/directions, and marked it invalid15:40
ubottuLaunchpad bug 836378 in grub2 (Ubuntu) "Oneiric upgrade, boot hangs at error: symbol not found: grub_divmod64_full" [High,Invalid] https://launchpad.net/bugs/83637815:40
mvoI haven't looked at all yet into 858122 but if noone else will I can give it a go15:40
slangasekbdmurray: well, if you can figure out a search term that matches "user rebooted after upgrade and their system didn't come up because dbus was missing and replacing /var/run with a symlink fixed it"... :)15:40
slangasekmvo: appreciate it!15:41
slangasekmvo: fwiw, I think the most appropriate workaround here is probably to shove the standard symlinks in /etc/rc6.d back to their intended sequence numbers by hand on upgrade15:41
slangasekso that, y'know, sendsigs, unmount, and reboot all happen in the intended order :P15:42
slangasekif we fix *that*, the migrate-on-shutdown code should Just Work15:42
mvoslangasek: heh,  that makes sense :)15:42
slangasekwe also need some fix for insserv itself breaking things, though :/15:43
slangaseknot sure what kind of fix would be SRUable there... I almost want to move insserv off the path, or make it a no-op15:43
slangasekmvo: anyway, you can have a look and see what you think :)15:44
slangasekany other bugs that aren't getting the attention they need?15:44
bdmurraynot that I know of15:45
slangasek[TOPIC] AOB15:45
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: AOB
slangasekwho knows a joke?15:45
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology
meetingologyMeeting ended Wed Oct 19 15:46:39 2011 UTC.15:46
meetingologyMinutes:        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2011/ubuntu-meeting.2011-10-19-15.00.moin.txt15:46
slangasekok, no jokes - thanks :)15:46
bdmurrayI was just looking one up15:46
barrythanks! :)15:46
bdmurrayWhy did the ghost join the team?15:47
bdmurrayBecause they needed spirit.15:47
mvoheh :)15:48
cjwatson~trout bdmurray15:48
=== beuno-lunch is now known as beuno
nuclearbobhggdh: you here?17:18
Ursinhadid I miss the meeting earlier today or are we skipping it?17:18
nuclearbobI've been here for a bit and it hasn't started yet17:19
nuclearbobso maybe we're reconvening next week17:19
bkerensait is quiet in here17:20
nuclearbobI can chair if we've got people here for it17:28
nuclearbobI know I saw Ursinha, and I thought pedro_ logged in17:30
nuclearbobhave we got gema, jibel, or charlie-tca ?17:30
Ursinhait's half past the meeting time, I guess they're all busy17:30
UrsinhaI asked on #ubuntu-quality channel and got no reply...17:31
nuclearboball right, we can reconvene next week17:31
nuclearbobI think gema's out today anyhow17:31
nuclearboband everybody else must be occupied17:31
=== LjL is now known as lJl

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!