* bkerensa thinks blueyed might be able to help me sort it or greg-g00:55
cprofittI found a bug, but not sure which package it should go against nor how to determine which package... I suspect the calendar component of the panel01:49
cprofittthe issue is that if I double click a specific date Evolution opens up but goes to 1970 instead of the date clicked01:50
cprofittif I say add event it comes up today's date which is normal... so it would appear information is being sent incorrectly from the double-click01:50
cprofittany hints on how to narrow that down or report it?01:50
bkerensacprofitt: Could run system monitor and see what is running and not idle02:20
bkerensato narrow it down02:20
cprofittbkerensa: good suggestion02:20
bkerensacprofitt: I'm hoping bdmurray might be able to figure out the Boinc bug or pass it upstream...02:21
bkerensadistributed computing platform used by 400-500 Team Ubuntu Distributed Computing people02:23
cprofittyeah that would be important02:24
bdmurraybkerensa: do you have any links to the previous fixes for that bug?02:26
bkerensabdmurray: Yeah let me grab it04:39
bkerensabdmurray: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/boinc/+bug/58554704:39
ubot4Launchpad bug 585547 in boinc (Ubuntu) "boinc-client bad signature for URL (affects: 9) (heat: 11)" [Medium,Fix released]04:39
bkerensaUnsure if it is the exact cause but the effect is essentially the same between the two bugs04:39
bkerensaBoinc is rendered useless in amd64 11.10 while it works just fine in i38604:40
bkerensaI also reached out to two other people who run the amd64 iso of 11.10 and asked them to test and they experienced the same issue04:40
bkerensahello ulysses06:49
bkerensacyphermox: Do you know about the proxy settings bug?06:49
ulyssesI marked a bug as Invalid, how should I mark that in the wiki?06:49
ulyssesthis one: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/87660606:50
ubot4Launchpad bug 876606 in ubuntu "kubuntu kmix in oneiric has no PA support (affects: 1) (heat: 10)" [Undecided,Invalid]06:50
ulyssesOk, I found it, one bug hugged06:59
=== ara is now known as Guest79243
SwitchDKHi all, is it possible to assign a bug to an individual or specific PPA. I have turned a question into a bug report which should be filed against https://launchpad.net/~ondrej/+archive/redmine but not sure how to do it. The bug is bug/878090 (sorry to repeat my question but I haven't received a response yet).10:23
cyphermoxbkerensa: define proxy settings bug? :)11:30
SwitchDKHi all, is it possible to assign a bug to an individual or specific PPA. I have turned a question into a bug report which should be filed against https://launchpad.net/~ondrej/+archive/redmine but not sure how to do it. The bug is bug/878090 (sorry to repeat my question but I haven't received a response yet).12:19
pedro_oh oh today is a bug day12:37
pedro_time to change the topic12:37
=== pedro_ changed the topic of #ubuntu-bugs to: Today is a Bug day! Join us : http://t.co/1HWnfGQl | Ubuntu Bug Squad - next meeting 10/20/11 | http://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad | Documentation: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs | Want to report a bug? Read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs | User support (not related to triage) is in #ubuntu
brendandSwitchDK - The bug 878090 is about the PPA?12:43
ubot4Launchpad bug 878090 in update-manager (Ubuntu) "Upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 fails when using dpkg-1.16.1~natty+1 (affects: 1) (heat: 139)" [Undecided,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87809012:43
SwitchDKbrendand: thanks for replying and looking into it. It was originally a question which had been answered and I determined there is a bug in the specific dpkg that has been released on the Redmine PPA. Since the dpkg is specific to that PPA and doesn't have anything to do the official dpkg I was uncertain how to deal with it12:45
=== ryan is now known as Guest83760
SwitchDKmultiple users were affected, well at least I had received confirmation from 2 other individuals and I was able to reproduce the problem myself12:46
brendandSwitchDK - Have you read the PPA description?12:47
SwitchDKyes, that the owner is aware of it being broken?12:48
SwitchDKbrendand: i might of course have missed something12:49
brendandSwitchDK - There is nothing to fix in code (I guess) so the best you can do is contact the owner, though he seems aware of the problem already12:50
kamusinking hggdh, are you there?12:50
hggdhkamusin: unfortunately yes ;-)12:51
SwitchDKbrendand: so should the bug not be logged against that PPA?12:51
hggdhkamusin: good, but I just started the day -- it is cold(ish), and the bed was really nicier than the office12:52
brendandSwitchDK - PPAs don't have any way to file bugs against them. In fact I think the general policy on them is that they carry no guarantees12:52
kamusinI know what you mean heh12:53
SwitchDKbrendand: that makes sense, I was just uncertain about how to report the problem dpkg specifically developed for Redmine as all users who are trying to install packages with the "broken" dpkg will have problems12:53
pedro_hello kamusin brendand hggdh!12:54
kamusinhola :)12:55
hggdhgood morning pedro_ kamusin brendand :-)12:55
brendandSwitchDK - All I can say is contact ondrej directly. PPAs have nothing to do with Ubuntu per se so there's really nothing further to do. PPAs are advertised as 'use at your own risk, take what you're given'12:55
SwitchDKbrendand: ok, thanks, what should be done with the bug report?12:56
brendandSwitchDK - That particular one? Well, there is no issue in any official package so you can just leave it. The correct status is 'Invalid' but 'Fix Released' doesn't do any harm either (from bug triagers point of view it's closed)12:57
SwitchDKbrendand: ok, many thanks for your help. I will also drop the PPA owner a friendly email with the bug number?12:58
SwitchDKbrendand: sorry that was a question12:59
brendandSwitchDK - Maybe ondrej has a bug opened or can indicate a project which he would be happy you moving the bug to. That's the best case scenario.12:59
brendandSwitchDK - As long as it's friendly ;)12:59
SwitchDKbrendand: no need to be differently13:00
brendandand hi to hggdh, pedro_ and kamusin13:00
brendandhggdh, pedro_ - shall i be seeing you both next week?13:00
hggdhwell. This is one of the risks on PPAs. But we need to adjust it a bit, how we (do not) deal with them13:00
hggdhbrendand: certainly :-)13:01
brendandhggdh - i don't know how wise it is to start putting guarantees around PPAs. AFAIK the sole purpose is an easier way than build from source to provide testers access to *pre-release* *unwarranted* software (not that any software is really warranted ;) )13:03
hggdhbrendand: indeed. But given the way folks go (based on my own experience), they tend to forget about having used a PPA, and then disaster happens.13:05
hggdhbrendand: we could *check* is the install is kosher before upgrading13:05
brendandhggdh - well, i have to agree with you there. hope mvo has a bug open on update-manager :)13:06
hggdhPPAs by its nature, are a contract between the maintainer and the user, not with Ubuntu13:06
SwitchDKhggdh: the problem with this bug is at least three developers didn't associate the Redmine PPA with a dpkg problem and the Redmine PPA has a customised version of the dpkg (which of course is not official)13:07
penguin42hggdh: I wish you could make them more selective - e.g. only allow certain packages to be installed from a given PPA13:07
SwitchDKpenguin42: like a list of trusted/do NOT Change packages?13:08
penguin42SwitchDK: Yes; I trust this PPA to have these packages, but if anything else crops up then ask me13:08
SwitchDK hggdh:  so yes I agree with you hggdh13:08
hggdhpenguin42: I do understand it but no, there are *NO* limits on what you can put in a PPA. How could you limit?13:09
hggdha PPA can be opened by anyone13:09
penguin42hggdh: Oh I mean when you add a PPA on your client you restrict what you'll let apt get from there13:09
hggdhpenguin42: ah. Yes, this could work13:10
penguin42hggdh: Taking the initial list when you add it as a starter say13:10
hggdhpenguin42: like pinning everything in there, and you select what you want (unpin)13:10
SwitchDKpenguin42, hggdg: i like that idea13:10
hggdhthis will at least give you a fleeting feeling of control13:11
penguin42hggdh: Well I might be happy to let the ppa owner upgrade the version, but it's if they add another package that would worry me13:11
brendandsome syntax like this in sources.list would be good:13:11
penguin42hggdh: Having said that, it doesn't really provide much control - a ppa owner could always change an innocuous package to overwrite a different file13:11
hggdhpenguin42: there you go...13:12
brendanddeb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ondrej/redmine/ubuntu oneiric main redmine ruby-mocha13:12
hggdhit is still a contract based on trust, not on knowledge13:12
penguin42hggdh: Problem is it's getting a bit dangerous - people install a lot of PPAs and I doubt people understand who they are trusting, especially when there are some Ubuntu ppa's (like the edgers etc) and some random people13:13
hggdhpenguin42: I agree, and this is why I would really like some sort of control, at least on upgrades13:14
brendandhggdh - you could say that use of PPAs by Canonical somewhat sends out the wrong message13:15
penguin42hggdh: Perhaps something could monitor PPAs and just check whether there are any surprising changes in which set of files is included in each package?13:21
SwitchDKjust a general question which is indirectly related to bugs: Some bug reports are rant/vent/complaints and some are kudos/well dones etc. Is there a way to sent kudos on to the Ubuntu/Canonical team13:21
penguin42ooh I don't think I've seen a well done bug report13:22
SwitchDKi would be happy to create one :D13:22
arandIsn't that what testimonials are for, rather?13:23
SwitchDKarand: most likely, I just hadn't thought about Testimonials. My thought was also more about short quick kudos13:26
penguin42there is a testimonial mechanism?13:29
arandfrom the ubuntu.com page there is..13:30
arandpenguin42: Or, hmm, was...13:34
SwitchDKarand: i might need new glasses but I can't find any? Would you have a link13:34
arandSwitchDK: They're just in a forums section atm it seems13:35
SwitchDKarand: Thanks I found them now on the forum13:35
* penguin42 wonders how to prod bug 877403 at someone - it's security ish13:47
ubot4Launchpad bug 877403 in upstart (Ubuntu) "crypttab LUKS password shown in cleartext (affects: 1) (heat: 8)" [Medium,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87740313:47
icerootif it is real, it should be critical13:50
icerootthat would be a big security issue13:50
jpdspenguin42: I've never had that.13:51
jpdspenguin42: And I've been using that feature for ages.13:51
penguin42jpds: It's not something I have setup, but it does seem serious if he is getting it13:51
icerooti will test it later, i am using a luks setup here13:52
icerootuntl now its not confirmed13:52
icerootlet me check the bug if i can reproduce it13:54
* penguin42 suspects it may be only in his no-splash setup13:56
icerootguess so too13:56
icerootbut a check doesnt hurt13:56
SwitchDKis anybody using the hugday tools today?13:56
SwitchDKI get an AssertionError when using "hugday list"13:57
=== zyga is now known as zyga-afk
brendandSwitchDK - the package one or the source branch?14:06
SwitchDKbrendand: sorry was called away, the one part of "ubuntu-qa-tools" package14:27
pedro_ah hugday tool doesn't work here ither14:28
pedro_either even14:28
pedro_is returning 0 results when doing hugday list14:28
SwitchDK brendand: I get the AssertionError with both source branch and package :(14:38
SwitchDKbrendand: it is working now :D All I did was to the "hugday current --remember" command again. Not sure if something has changed on the back end though14:41
SwitchDKpedro_: does it work for you?14:42
pedro_we should file a bug about it..14:42
SwitchDKpedro_, indeed ;)14:42
SwitchDKpedro_, I tried the hugday tools from the branch and they seem to work14:44
pedro_hggdh, great session :-)14:52
hggdhpedro_: I lost my bloody notes for it, and had to improvise14:53
bdmurrayjibel: bug 87858515:27
ubot4Launchpad bug 878585 in update-manager (Ubuntu Natty) (and 1 other project) "update apport package hook in natty (affects: 1) (heat: 10)" [High,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87858515:27
penguin42bug 875571 is a mess, it's a bunch of people with different panics15:34
ubot4Launchpad bug 875571 in linux (Ubuntu) ""Panic occurred, switch back to text console" and freezes - On 11.10 (affects: 6) (heat: 34)" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87557115:34
* penguin42 has just flipped it to linux and put a note in the description asking people to file separate bugs15:35
=== dshufelt is now known as dsmitty
=== zyga-afk is now known as zyga
SwitchDKis there a BugSquad team meeting today?17:11
bil21alyes the date is todays. switchDk17:21
SwitchDKbil21al: thanks, was just wondering if we were starting the meeting or it had been canceled (or I got the time zone conversion wrong)17:22
bil21alswitchDK:  yes  bec i m in asia here the time is too much different  i was also waiting for that somebdy say some thing17:24
bil21albdmurray : has the metting held ?17:25
bdmurraybil21al: no, not yet17:26
bdmurrayI seem to have lost track of the time17:27
bil21albdmurry same here17:28
bdmurraypedro_, hggdh: bug squad meeting?17:28
hggdhbdmurray: -meeting?17:29
bil21ali think they didnt remember it was metting today17:30
bdmurrayHow about here as I don't know what is on the calendar.17:30
pedro_oh is it today?17:32
* pedro_ blame google calendar17:32
bdmurraywell it was supposed to be last week17:32
bdmurrayso lets have at it?17:33
bdmurrayThe Agenda can be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/Meeting17:34
bdmurrayThere were some actions from the previous meeting17:34
bdmurraybdmurray tag bugs with 'TEST CASE' in description testcase: IN PROGRESS17:34
bdmurrayI started to do this but noticed some complaints in ubuntu-devel so I am doing it as I, or my bugbot, see bugs matching this criteria17:35
bdmurrayso the actions are batched together17:35
bdmurrayPlease help using the testcase tag though - if you see a bug with a test case in the description17:36
bdmurraybdmurray make 'testcase' an official bug tag: DONE17:36
bdmurraythat was completed17:36
bdmurraybdmurray recommend people modify description with 'TEST CASE' words if steps to reproduce exist in bug description or in comments: DONE17:36
bdmurrayand so was that17:36
bdmurrayhggdh to review all bug workflows that result with an "Invalid" status and see if using "Incomplete" makes more sense and email bugsquad regarding results17:36
pedro_is that still there? :-P17:36
bdmurrayhggdh: how is that? I seem to recall a wiki notification email about it17:36
hggdhdone; I could not find any such instance17:36
bdmurrayhggdh to email mentorship group alpha with questions regarding value of the program and what mentees are looking for: DONE17:37
bdmurrayhggdh: could you remind us of the results of that?17:37
hggdhdone; we do havce to review the current status17:37
hggdhright now we are not providing what mentees expect -- hand-holding, basically17:37
hggdhI emailed -control, -bugsquad, and the mentorship-alpha with what I found17:38
bdmurraySo it seems there is a disconnect between what mentees want and what mentors want to do or were doing?17:39
hggdhI think so. We expected them to be more open -- and active -- with an exclusive ML, and such; they seem to expect us to be more hand-holding17:39
hggdhthey, generically, are not active17:40
SwitchDKsorry ML?17:40
hggdhMailing List17:40
bdmurrayright so we expect mentees to ask questions17:40
bdmurrayand they want to be told what to do?17:41
hggdhyep. One of our expectations was that mentors would be, ah, 'switchable': any available mentor could do the trick17:41
hggdhthis seems not to have happened: mentees, pretty much, do nothing if not helped to it17:41
bdmurrayokay so this leads into the next item17:41
bdmurraybdmurray to create spec for UDS P regarding mentorship program17:42
hggdhthe only exceptions are these that are active in the #ubuntu-bugs channel17:42
bdmurrayI've not done this but it still seems like a useful discussion to have.  Agreed?17:42
hggdhwhich, again, reinforces the feeling that mentees *MUST* be present here17:42
pedro_oh yes17:42
hggdhpedro_: +2?17:43
pedro_according to my crazy keyboard, yes haha17:43
SwitchDK<---- newbie, what does UDS P mean?17:43
bdmurrayokay so I'll write something and get it scheduled17:43
hggdhSwitchDK: Ubuntu Development Summit, Precise17:43
hggdhSwitchDK: the new Ubuntu version17:44
hggdhbdmurray: please mark me as required17:44
SwitchDKhggdh: thanks trying to keep up with the acronyms17:44
bdmurrayhggdh: okay17:44
bdmurrayso that's it for action items17:44
bil21alwho are able to set the importance of the bug and why  in my launchpad account there us no options of triaged and wont fix??17:44
bdmurrayand I think we can skip any mentorship discussion for UDS17:44
bdmurrayThere are no recent new bug control members so skipping that17:45
bdmurraywhich leads to open discussions17:45
bdmurraywhere we can answer bil21al's question17:45
bdmurraybil21al: you need to be a member of ubuntu bug control to set those statuses and the importance for Ubuntu bug tasks17:45
SwitchDKI also have a couple of things I would like to bring up in the Open Discussion section17:45
bdmurraybil21al: see http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugControl17:46
bil21alhmm so i need to be more perfect bdmurry17:46
bdmurrayhggdh: did you have something?17:46
bdmurraybil21al: yes and you could start by putting an 'a' in my nick. ;-)17:46
bdmurrayhggdh: go ahead17:46
hggdhjust a comment -- I am doing a clean-up on requests to join Bug Control17:47
bil21alok ok bdmurray no nice??17:47
bil21alnow nice17:47
hggdhand I will, from now, on, summarily reject applications without the submission to the mailing list17:47
bdmurraybil21al: yes, thanks17:48
bil21albdmurray its my pleasue you are my ceniour17:48
bdmurrayhggdh: you'll give them a wee bit of time though between applying and receiving the application?17:48
bdmurrayhggdh: actually I wonder if we should just make it a closed team17:49
bdmurrayI mean we just manually add people anyway17:50
bil21alone thing i want to disscuss that which are the people who accept the membership request  and suggest the members?17:50
pedro_bdmurray, the only diff between moderated and closed is the way people gets added to the team?17:50
bdmurrayI'm pretty sure17:51
bil21alis there any special team for it?17:51
hggdhbdmurray: I do, usually a week17:51
bdmurrayWhy don't we create an action of researching launchpad team types and closing team if possible.17:51
bdmurraybil21al: we'll get to you after SwitchDK17:52
pedro_https://launchpad.net/+help/team-subscription-policy.html <- found the policy for teams17:52
hggdhbil21al: any current -control member can vote on an application17:52
bdmurraywell there half way done17:52
pedro_we need to test it though, so we don't have any surprise17:52
bdmurrayI say make it restricted as it'll save work17:52
bil21alhggdh ok17:52
bdmurraypedro_: I think if the dev teams use restricted ones it'll be fine17:54
bdmurraySwitchDK: Did you have something to discuss?17:55
pedro_bdmurray, oh right, then sure17:55
SwitchDKthanks, as I very new member to the BugSquad I was hoping/waiting for a mentor17:55
pedro_i didn't remember they're using that17:55
SwitchDKbut it seems the team is "less" functional17:55
SwitchDKso you mentioned before that new members should just ask questions in this chat instead17:56
bdmurrayor on the bug squad mailing list if nobody happens to be around yes17:56
SwitchDKand that is fine with me (once I am getting used to it), but wouldn't it be worthwhile to update the Wiki pages accordingly17:56
SwitchDKcurrently the wiki pages say that new members should/can apply for a mentor17:57
hggdhyes -- but we will discuss mentorship during UDS (again)17:57
bdmurraywell we plan to discuss the future of the mentorship program the week of the 31st17:57
bdmurraySwitchDK: do you have specific change in mind that would help though?  If so feel free to just make that change17:57
SwitchDKok, sure, sorry I'm still trying to understand the lingo17:57
SwitchDKif it is decided that references to mentors should be removed I would be happy to help out.17:58
hggdhSwitchDK: no problem, we all started not knowing :-)17:58
SwitchDKright now I just find it confusing since I was waiting for a mentor to be assigned before attempting traiging17:58
SwitchDKbut then asking in this channel it was clarified that I shouldn't wait17:59
SwitchDKso once you have a decision on the topic from your meeting on UDS it would be great if it could be circulated17:59
SwitchDKthat was my only question18:00
bdmurrayhggdh: I removed the bannder in ~ubuntu-bugcontrol changed the team to restricted and set it so people can renew their own memberships18:00
hggdhit certainly will; additionally, the UDS sessions have live audio, and IRC channels available for remote users18:00
hggdhbdmurray: perfect, thank you18:00
SwitchDKhggdh oh ok, didn't know that, thank you18:01
bdmurraySwitchDK: yes, we will definitely update documentation and email the bugsquad mailing list with results of our discussion18:01
bdmurrayOkay are there any more questions / topics for discussion?18:01
SwitchDKbdmurray thank you that would be great and as I said I would be happy to help with wiki updates18:01
SwitchDKnot from me, thank you18:02
bdmurrayOkay, thanks everyone and sorry for the delay in getting the meeting going.18:03
SwitchDKno problem18:03
SwitchDKback to hugging a bug :P18:04
hggdhbdmurray: thank you18:04
pedro_thanks all18:04
bil21alok bdmurray see you and really switchdk reminds us about the metting18:04
bdmurraySwitchDK: if you have any questions please let us know, or if you are looking for something to work on we might find something for you18:04
bil21althanks for your time bdmurray, pedro_ and hggdh18:05
SwitchDKbdmurray thank you very kind, i am trying to do a bug on the list pedro_ sent out18:05
SwitchDKbdmurray so i will probably ask once I get more stuck than I already am18:05
pedro_SwitchDK, if you have questions just ask here in teh channel :-)18:08
SwitchDKwill do, thanks pedro_18:08
bil21alpedro_ give me some thing too i m free  bro18:09
pedro_bil21al, check at the bug day page there's plenty of bugs there: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugDay/2011102018:10
bil21alok thanks i will check18:11
hggdhand I just updated https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugControl taking out the references to request membership18:12
yofelhm, what's the current way of using the hugday tools? I'm getting: RuntimeError: Error while parsing 'https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugDay/20111020'18:13
SwitchDKyofel, i had problems with the tool but it seems to work if you use the one from the branch18:17
yofelthat *is* from lp:ubuntu-qa-tools18:17
SwitchDKyofel: try lp:hugday-tools instead18:18
yofelsame error18:18
SwitchDKyofel, is that when you use "./hugday-tools current" ?18:19
yofelno, hugday close is what doesn't work18:19
yofelcurrent works fine18:19
SwitchDKyofel, ok I haven't made it that far yet so don't know if it works for me18:20
SwitchDKbil21al are you working on bug 87506118:24
ubot4Launchpad bug 875061 in gnome-control-center (Ubuntu) "11.10 doesn't remember screen brightness setting after every reboot (affects: 2) (heat: 12)" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87506118:24
SwitchDKbil21al i just updated it a moment ago18:25
SwitchDKbil21al so refresh your screen before continuing18:25
bil21alyes yes i am watching18:25
bil21alu carry on18:25
SwitchDKbil21al i wasn't able to reproduce the problem on my machine unfortunately18:25
bil21alohh man i have seen this many times18:26
bil21alwhen every i start my system18:26
SwitchDKbil21al could you then please update the bug with some more technical details please18:26
SwitchDKpedro_ bdmurray once a incomplete bug has been updated on the BugDay list should I mark it as done on the BugDay list?18:30
bdmurraySwitchDK: which bug?18:35
SwitchDKbdmurray 87506118:37
SwitchDKbdmurray i have asked for more information18:38
hggdhbug 87506118:38
ubot4Launchpad bug 875061 in gnome-control-center (Ubuntu) "11.10 doesn't remember screen brightness setting after every reboot (affects: 3) (heat: 16)" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87506118:38
bdmurrayIf the bug needs more information it should be incomplete18:39
SwitchDKhggdh ah you have to put "bug" in front of it18:39
bdmurrayI find it a bit strange that the package is gnome-control-center but you mention debugging instructions for gnome-power-manager18:39
SwitchDKbdmurray missed the "incomplete" part, it has been updated18:40
bdmurraySwitchDK: great, thanks18:41
SwitchDKbdmurray you are right but the power manager information is useful for trouble shooting this18:41
SwitchDKbdmurray and not sure where else to go with "dim" trouble shooting18:41
SwitchDKbdmurray since it has changed in Unity (well at least I think it has)18:41
SwitchDKbdmurray would it be better to change the package to gnome-power-manager?18:43
bdmurraySwitchDK: I would think so yes18:44
SwitchDKbdmurray thank you I will update it now.18:45
SwitchDKbdmurray based on changing that information should it then be marked completed on the BugDay list? althought it is not complete yet18:50
bkerensabdmurray: Do you know any way I might workaround this bug18:50
ubot4Launchpad bug 878571 in boinc (Ubuntu) "boinc-client bad signature for URL (affects: 1) (heat: 14)" [Undecided,Confirmed]18:50
bdmurraySwitchDK: the bug day list is just recording that an action took place18:54
bdmurraySwitchDK: and you acted on that bug and no one else needs to yet so yes it can be marked done18:55
bdmurraybkerensa: I wonder if installing the i386 version on the package on amd64 would work around it18:57
bkerensabdmurray: Yeah but I tried doing that and am getting some error with the i386 package even though I was running it on 32bit fine18:58
bkerensaidk something is broke18:58
bdmurray"This seems to indicate that the XML received by the RPC was corrupted somehow. As you can see in the XML you PM-ed me, there is no value host_uhntiiccaator in it."18:59
seb128bdmurray, SwitchDK, pedro_: gnome-power-manager is deprecated in oneiric, the instruction for debugging should be updated19:00
bdmurraybkerensa: didn't you say something about having a web proxy?19:00
bkerensabdmurray: Yeah proxy settings on 11.10 are broke19:00
seb128it only ships the statistics ui19:00
bkerensacant set a proxy19:00
bkerensa11.10 ignores settings :(19:00
seb128the other features got moved to gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-power-manager19:00
bdmurraybkerensa: right isn't it possible your network is screwing up the boinc traffic?19:00
seb128the other features got moved to gnome-settings-daemon and *gnome-control-center*19:01
pedro_seb128, bdmurray SwitchDK i'll update those debugging instructions19:03
seb128pedro_, thanks19:03
pedro_you're welcome19:03
seb128pedro_, you can probably drop all the "before 9.04 instructions" while you are at it, it's just confusing nowadays19:04
seb128we are not interested to get bug about those versions ;-)19:04
bkerensabdmurray: I have no proxies set right now19:09
bkerensabdmurray: and I have had other people who run 64bit Ubuntu confirm this bug19:09
bil21alhas any body seen this bug or having this ?? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/87434819:16
ubot4Launchpad bug 874348 in unity (Ubuntu) "when we change the theme some icons from the launcher vanished (affects: 1) (heat: 6)" [Undecided,New]19:16
hjdEvening all. I've seen some bug reports requesting newer versions of programs which since the report was filed has been included in Ubuntu. Would it be ok to close these as fix released and leave a comment like "version x is in ubuntu release foo" or should I add some more information?19:22
jtayloryou can use one of these responses: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Responses#Fixed_in_Development_release_while_still_existing_in_a_previous_release19:24
hjdjtaylor: ok. thanks :)19:28
bil21alif the bug is to much older like some people says that boot is failed in ubuntu and talks about alpha or beta 1 version so can we invaid it?19:44
bil21alany other bdmurray:19:47
penguin42bil21al: I would mark it incomplete and ask them to check it in the release19:48
penguin42bil21al: But don't be too hasty on things  - there are some bugs that are years old; the fact they are old doesn't necessarily mean they are invalid!19:49
bil21alyes yes ok i understand.19:50
SwitchDKseb128 pedro_ thanks for letting me know about the changes to debug info. Would you recommend I change the associated package to "gnome-control-center"19:56
SwitchDKseb128 predr_ sorry I should clarify that I am referring to bug 87506119:57
ubot4Launchpad bug 875061 in gnome-power-manager (Ubuntu) "11.10 doesn't remember screen brightness setting after every reboot (affects: 3) (heat: 16)" [Undecided,Incomplete] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87506119:57
pedro_SwitchDK, i think i've seen that bug before19:58
pedro_one sec19:59
SwitchDKyofel did you manage to fix the runtimeerror problem when closing a bug on the bugday list19:59
=== yofel_ is now known as yofel
pedro_SwitchDK, https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=66158619:59
ubot4Gnome bug 661586 in Other Preferences "[screen] Remember brightness level across reboots" [Enhancement,Unconfirmed]19:59
SwitchDKyofel_ :(19:59
pedro_which is bug 870805 on lp19:59
ubot4Launchpad bug 870805 in gnome-control-center (Ubuntu) (and 1 other project) "Screen dialog won't remember brightness setting (affects: 1) (heat: 54)" [Low,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87080519:59
pedro_SwitchDK, feel free to mark it as a duplicate20:00
SwitchDKpedro_ wow how to you remember that, i will update to mark it as duplicate20:00
SwitchDKpedro_ thanks20:00
pedro_you're welcome20:00
SwitchDKpedro_ how would I mark a bug "completed" on the BugDay list when the hugday tool won't allow me to?20:02
yofeledit the wiki page by hand20:02
pedro_edit the wiki20:03
pedro_yeah as yofel said20:03
bil21alsome people assign their bug to themselves even they are not a programmer so what to do with that??20:03
SwitchDKyofel_ yofel pedro_ ok that simple I thought there was something more complicated20:03
phil93Could a control member please mark bug #879038 as triaged? It's a simple documentation issue and I believe all of the necessary information is there for an ubuntu-docs team member to work on it.20:05
ubot4Launchpad bug 879038 in ubuntu-docs (Ubuntu) "help.ubuntu.com lists 11.04 as Natty and as Oneiric. (affects: 2) (dups: 1) (heat: 16)" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87903820:05
yofelI *think* that should be filed agains the ubuntu-website project20:06
yofelit's certainly not the docs package in the archive20:06
bil21alpedro_ some people assign bug to them selves even they are not a programer than what to do ??20:07
bil21ali assign my self and than un assign do i roght ??20:07
bil21alany body tell me plz20:08
pedro_bil21al, Do not assign bugs to yourself unless you're planning to fix the issue20:08
pedro_if you want to receive emails when the reporter replies to you , then subscribe to the email20:08
phil93yofel: Hmm, thats a good point. But Bug 590932 described something similar and its packaging seemed correct.20:08
ubot4Launchpad bug 590932 in ubuntu-docs (Ubuntu Natty) (and 3 other projects) "broken link to ubuntu licensing page (affects: 1) (heat: 1)" [Undecided,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/59093220:08
bil21alpedro_ yes i know that but some people who dnt knw about that assign to themselves than what to do with that before marking incomplete??20:09
yofelphil93: true, then I have no idea, sorry20:10
pedro_bil21al, unassign if you sure that they're not planning to work on the issue20:10
pedro_bil21al,  if unsure ask with the bug number here in the channel20:11
bil21alpedro_ : ok sir20:11
phil93yofel: Alright, I'll assign ubuntu-website anyway and wait for someone to get around to it. Thanks.20:11
yofelphil93: actually switch that to https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-docs20:19
yofelso it seems filing it against the package is fine too20:20
yofelah, already duped20:22
phil93yofel: Yeah, I noticed that its a dupe as well20:22
hggdhgenerically, it is a good idea to *subscribe* to the bugs you are triaging. Nothing is worse than a fire-and-forget (add a comment asking for something, and never return)20:35
SwitchDKgood night all, thanks for all the help. It has been fun20:36
hggdhSwitchDK: welcome :-)20:37
sroeckerbug 87678720:43
ubot4sroecker: Error: Bug #876787 not found.20:43
penguin42is there a way to teach apport-collect to collect the Xorg and kernel logs for xserver-xorg-input-evdev?20:54
hggdhpenguin42: yes, by patching /usr/share/apport/package-hooks/source_xserver-xorg-input-evdev.py20:58
yofelpenguin42: by apport hook20:58
hggdhpenguin42: this file belongs to xdiagonse20:58
yofeland is a symlink to /usr/share/apport/package-hooks/source_xorg.py20:59
penguin42oh - so this is the reason that asking people to apport-collect on x packages is doing nowt?21:00
hggdhpenguin42: I would guess yes (but have not looked at the source)21:00
yofelpenguin42: if xdiagnose isn't installed, apport-collect won't do anything useful21:00
penguin42hggdh: Well, it's not installed so it's not going to help!21:00
penguin42<sigh> Ok, so we should ask people to install xdiagnose and then run apport-collect21:01
yofelhm... ubuntu-desktop depends on it21:01
yofeland kubuntu-full o.O21:02
* penguin42 didn't have it installed21:02
penguin42hmm but I do on <--- machine21:02
yofelwell, I didn't have it installed either. As only *ubuntu*-desktop depends on it21:03
hggdhthis warrants a bug, I guess. xdiagnose should be a dependency of all supported flavours21:04
penguin42there needs to be a hook hook, so that apport can ask for something to be installed21:06
yofelthat would probably need apt-file - or a generated DB of hooks21:07
* bkerensa really needs this bug to be fixed https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/boinc/+bug/87857121:07
ubot4Launchpad bug 878571 in boinc (Ubuntu) (and 1 other project) "boinc-client bad signature for URL (affects: 1) (heat: 14)" [Undecided,Confirmed]21:07
* bkerensa is likely going to have to downgrade to 32bit otherwise21:07
yofelbkerensa: poking here won't help though - we don't fix bugs here21:10
bkerensayofel: I realize21:10
bkerensaalthough the maintainers are in this channel21:10
bkerensabut afkish21:10
hggdhbkerensa: AFAIK the maintainers for boinc are at boinc.berkeley.edu21:14
hggdhbkerensa: and if you go  to http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php you may find a version that works21:14
bkerensahggdh: I am unable to install anything other than the amd6421:16
bkerensaand the amd64 .deb is broken21:16
bkerensaI tried installing the i386 but it wont let me even with force21:16
hggdhbkerensa: I know, I saw your bug.21:16
hggdhbkerensa: what happens if you try to install the i386 version?21:16
bkerensahggdh: http://pastebin.com/gKuPpvq821:18
bkerensathat happens21:18
hggdhwell, you are using dpkg... and asking to install a single package. dpkg will not do dependency resolution21:19
hggdhyou could try 'apt-get install boinc-client:i386'21:19
hggdhadditionally, --force-<whatever> is potentially dangerous ;-)21:24
bkerensahggdh: that caused this:21:28
bkerensaThe following packages have unmet dependencies:21:28
bkerensa boinc-client:i386 : Depends: python:i386 (>= 2.3) but it is not installable21:28
bkerensa                     Depends: adduser:i386 but it is not installable21:28
bkerensaE: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.21:28
hggdhbkerensa: the last line suggests your system is already broken -- 'you have help broken packages'. First of all, clean it up (run synaptic, for example)21:29
hggdhor run apt-get check21:30
bkerensahggdh: I sorted that but then when I tried to install again it wanted to remove my power-manager and network stuffs21:35
=== DIFH-iceroot is now known as iceroot
hggdhah well21:39
bkerensahggdh: Yeah and the boinc people seem to think it has to do with Ubuntu and not their package21:41
bkerensaso idk21:41
hggdhbkerensa: boinc-client is in Universe. Perhap you will have more luck on the #ubuntu-motu channel21:42
hggdhbkerensa: lastly, I have boinc running on a server (oneiric), AMD64, no problems21:52
bkerensahggdh: Odd well how would I troubleshoot because I had two other people check on amd64 11.1021:52
bkerensaand they had the same error and it has happened in the past and had to be fixed21:52
hggdhIDK, I never looked at the boinc source. But I *did* see some HTTP errors, but boinc recovered and finished the downloads21:53
bkerensahggdh: Well in my logs it wont even attach21:55
bkerensaso nothing gets downloaded at all21:56
bkerensawhen I was running i386 iso boinc worked fine21:56
NukeadorHi there22:18
NukeadorCould someone ping Ubuntu QA to get attention on this critical Libreoffice Calc bug? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/87370222:18
ubot4Launchpad bug 873702 in libreoffice (Ubuntu) "some function names in Calc appear in english others in local language (mixed up) (affects: 7) (dups: 1) (heat: 48)" [Undecided,Confirmed]22:18
penguin42Nukeador: Why is it critical?22:19
NukeadorYou can't use functions!22:19
NukeadorYou can if you use English ones22:20
Nukeadorbut all documents use the localized ones22:20
NukeadorSo nobody can use their previously work using libreoffice localized versions22:20
penguin42Nukeador: OK, just do me a favour - explain how translated function names work - I've only used English22:21
penguin42Nukeador: So if I say average() does it store the text of that in the file so that a file in one language doesn't work in others?!22:21
NukeadorOk, instead of UPPER() in Spanish you have MAYUSC()22:21
penguin42Nukeador: OK, and that gets stored in the file like that?!22:21
NukeadorSame on OO and MS Office22:22
NukeadorAnd now, they don't work22:22
NukeadorSo imagine the disaster22:22
penguin42Nukeador: Yuch - it seems mad to me that the file format doesn't store a token that works in all of them22:22
penguin42but OK22:23
NukeadorFor some reason Libreoffice stop understanding localized functions22:23
NukeadorSo people are complaining about not being able to use the localized ones and not being able to use their previously saved files22:24
penguin42Nukeador: OK, marked as 'High' which seems to be the right marking as far as the Ubuntu bug hierarchy goes22:25
penguin42Nukeador: No problem - but out of curiousity, explain to me - does that mean a German writing a spreadsheet can't hand it to a Spaniard ?22:26
NukeadorDon't know, maybe if you have the l10n package22:26
penguin42oh also, this all worked in 11.04 ?22:27
Nukeadorthis problem was after updating to 11.1022:27
penguin42ok, I've tagged it as a regression22:27
NukeadorIn 11.04 I was able to use Spanish and English functions22:27
NukeadorBut the app suggest you always a list in Spanish22:28
Nukeadorso everyone was using the localized ones22:28
NukeadorIt's the same in OO and MS Office localized versions22:28
penguin42it must make it really hard when swapping stuff between people in different countries - I only know English so never have the problem :-)22:28
NukeadorMaybe internally the app is able to understand the functions in all languages22:29
NukeadorNo idea22:29
hggdhpersonally, it sounds like it is a presentation issue -- otherwise we would not be able to use spreadsheets from other languages, which would be really dumb22:30
hggdhbut, as penguin42, I only use English22:30
NukeadorWhat it really surprised me was that nobody had detected this bug in beta versions22:30
penguin42Nukeador: Sometimes it happens, sometimes people don't report it, and sometimes it breaks after the beta22:31
NukeadorYeah, I know22:31
hggdhNukeador: well, for something like this to be caught, there has to be volunteers testing it. So this begs the question -- did you?22:31
NukeadorFor the record, when you use a localized function now you get a #NAME error22:31
NukeadorNo, I didn't have time to test the betas22:32
NukeadorDo you know if there is a QA team for each locale?22:32
hggdhI do know. There is not22:32
NukeadorSo officially Canonical only QA the English versions and relay the rest locales to the community right?22:33
penguin42But I'm fairly sure a lot of the Canonical guys aren't just English, so I'd expect them to be testing stuff in other languages22:34
NukeadorMaybe the people who is localizing the apps is also testing them22:34
NukeadorWell, but in this case I suppose Ubuntu is using the mainstream localization22:35
penguin42possibly, it's also possible that the level of testing for localisation is less - e.g. I guess they start each part up and check it displays in the right language, but maybe they haven't got a test file created in each language or something like that22:35
NukeadorAs it does for Firefox22:35
NukeadorSo it's more complicated to have a Libreoffice localized that use Ubuntu and Libreoffice Ubuntu package22:36
hggdhNukeador: just a correction -- this is not Canonical's resposibility; this is Ubuntu22:49
hggdhand Ubuntu is a community effort22:50
hggdhfor localisation tests we need people running these languages; it happens that I could test English, French, Portuguese, but my systems are all English-based22:51
Nukeadorhggdh, I know I know, but it would be cool if Canonical has a group to test localizations too22:56
hggdhit would. How many languages would Canonical need? All? some?22:58
NukeadorAt least the most used22:58
NukeadorI'm speaking from my ignorance about how Canonical works internally22:59
penguin42hggdh: It would seem appropriate to test some i18n stuff officially22:59
hggdhpenguin42: as far as I understand, this is done22:59
hggdhmost of Canonical's people run the systems in their native language23:00
hggdhand there are *many* French- and Spanish speaking folks23:00
hggdhinteresting that libreoffice in French shows a melange of English and French for the functions names23:01
hggdhI wonder if this is not a localised issue23:02
hggdhno matter what, seems bad23:02
NukeadorI think it's the same for Spanish23:02
NukeadorSome are in Spanish, some in English23:02
Nukeadorthe most used ones in English23:02
hggdhI wonder if 'critical' would apply here23:04
penguin42hggdh: It might but it doesn't seem to fit the bugs/Importance rule - how do we raise a LibreOffice person to see what they think?23:07
hggdhpinging #ubuntu-desktop...23:08
hggdhI am assigning the bug to the ubuntu-desktop team23:12
hggdhNukeador: thank you for bringing this to our attention; can you please ping me tomorrow, so that I do not forget to talk with the folks from the desktop team?23:14
NukeadorOK, I'll try to remember leaving this channel open ;)23:17
NukeadorI have to go23:17
NukeadorSee you guys, and thanks23:17
hggdhwhy don't we have something like a babel fish?23:21
* penguin42 eat it23:22
penguin42don't suppose you know if there is a way to list all .i386 packages installed?23:34
penguin42hmm, dpkg -l | grep :i386 works, hmm23:35
hggdhso I will not answer ;-)23:36
* penguin42 is trying to clean up the mess left by trying to install DART23:37

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!