/srv/irclogs.ubuntu.com/2012/01/16/#ubuntu-meeting.txt

=== bazhang_ is now known as bazhang
=== noy_ is now known as noy
=== yofel_ is now known as yofel
bkerensa!netcat | bkerensa08:29
AlecTaylorhi08:40
bkerensahi08:50
AlecTaylorIs there a neat open-source solution like eventbrite or meetup.com?08:51
* AlecTaylor opened up the discussion over whether I should open-source my SaaS: http://openclosedsource.wikia.com09:18
=== bilal_ is now known as bilal
=== noy_ is now known as noy
=== Myrtti_ is now known as Guest79446
=== cypher is now known as czajkowski
=== Guest79446 is now known as Myrtti
=== Adri2000_ is now known as Adri2000
=== cypher is now known as czajkowski
AlecTaylorWill open-sourcing my SaaS solution adversely affect my revenue? - Contribute to Discussion and Notes: http://openclosedsource.wikia.com / http://programmers.stackexchange.com/q/13034110:30
brendandAlecTaylor - this isn't really the place for such a topic10:47
=== chrisccoulson_ is now known as chrisccoulson
=== Riddelll is now known as Riddell
micahg!dmb-ping14:01
ubottubdrung, cody-somerville, persia, Laney, micahg, geser, tumbleweed, stgraber: DMB ping14:01
tumbleweedo/14:01
Laneyhi thar14:02
* stgraber waves14:02
tumbleweedaw, no applicants14:04
LaneyREJECT THEM ALL14:05
stgraberwow, has been a while since we had that situation :)14:05
micahgam I next on the rotation for chair?14:05
Laneyno meeting, no chair :P14:05
micahgwell, we do have business :)14:05
stgrabercan we drop Sylvestre Ledru from the agenda? I think he's been on there for almost a year (if not more ;))14:06
tumbleweedmicahg: i suspect so14:07
Laneysure14:07
micahgok, let's get started14:07
micahg#startmeeting Developer Membership Board14:07
meetingologyMeeting started Mon Jan 16 14:07:32 2012 UTC.  The chair is micahg. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AlanBell/mootbot.14:07
meetingologyAvailable commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired14:07
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology | Developer Membership Board Meeting | Current topic:
micahg#topic Review of previous action items14:07
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology | Developer Membership Board Meeting | Current topic: Review of previous action items
micahg#subtopic cody-somerville to write some documentation on how to endorse someone14:08
micahgdo we know if that was done?14:08
Laneyi think he said he was going to send it before this meeting, and I haven't seen anything14:08
Laneyso ...14:09
micahgok, carried fwd14:09
micahg#subtopic bdrung to talk to the TB about harmonising DMB members' expiration dates for easier restaffing14:09
micahgthis was done14:09
micahg#link https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/technical-board/2012-January/001161.html14:09
micahg#topic Review any packageset descriptions that have been received (micahg)14:09
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology | Developer Membership Board Meeting | Current topic: Review any packageset descriptions that have been received (micahg)
micahgoops, I meant to do that under previous actions14:10
micahgI'll have this ready for the next meeting14:10
micahg#topic Expiring members terms14:10
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology | Developer Membership Board Meeting | Current topic: Expiring members terms
micahg#topic DMB members terms expiring14:11
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology | Developer Membership Board Meeting | Current topic: DMB members terms expiring
micahgthat's a little less grim :-/14:11
micahg#info laney and geser's terms for the DMB are ending 2012-02-1314:11
Laneywhat is the if-extended expiration date? :-)14:11
Laney+1y?14:11
micahgyes14:12
tumbleweederr, surely we're electing for 2 years?14:12
micahgso, as the initial date was an error, we can ask the TB to extend the term 1yr as we did for the rest of the members from that election if desired14:13
micahgotherwise, as we're 1 month out, we'd need to call for nominations for 2 weeks and then have the election14:13
Laneygeser's too?14:14
micahgLaney: yes, both of you14:14
Laneyyeah they both were14:14
Laneywell I'm happy to be extended, I've decided14:14
micahggeser: what about you?14:14
Laneymy initial request not to be came around the 'difficult time' :P14:14
geserI won't extend, so my seat gets free14:15
micahg#action micahg to E-Mail TB to extend Laney's term 1yr (as the initial date was an error)14:15
meetingologyACTION: micahg to E-Mail TB to extend Laney's term 1yr (as the initial date was an error)14:15
micahgLaney: would you be up for running this election?14:16
LaneyI did the last one ...14:16
geserI've been on MC and DMB for almost 4 years, so I need to take a break (besides I'm missing time to do it properly)14:16
micahgok, then, any volunteers?14:16
* tumbleweed supposes he can14:17
Laneygood man14:17
tumbleweedstill have scripts?14:17
micahg#action tumbleweed to run the election to fill geser's seat14:17
meetingologyACTION: tumbleweed to run the election to fill geser's seat14:17
Laneyscripts for what?14:17
tumbleweedthe vote e-mail address collection14:17
micahg#action tumbleweed to send mail requesting nominations for the open DMB seat14:18
meetingologyACTION: tumbleweed to send mail requesting nominations for the open DMB seat14:18
geserthe only needed script is to collect the e-mail addresses from LP for CIVS14:18
tumbleweedyes14:18
micahgyes, but that's part 2, first comes the call for nominees14:18
tumbleweedof course14:18
micahg#topic AOB14:19
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology | Developer Membership Board Meeting | Current topic: AOB
micahganyone?14:19
Laneynah, just iterated through launchpad.people['ubuntu-dev'].participants14:19
tumbleweedLaney: ok14:20
micahggoing once14:20
geserLaney: this works recursively for sub-teams?14:20
micahgtwice14:20
micahg#topic select chair for next meeting14:20
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology | Developer Membership Board Meeting | Current topic: select chair for next meeting
Laneyyes14:20
micahgstgraber: looks like you're next14:21
micahgdoes that work?14:21
stgraberyep14:21
tumbleweeddid geser do one this cycle?14:21
micahg#info stgraber to chair next meeting14:21
micahgtumbleweed: yes, first one in Dec IIRC14:21
micahgof course if he'd wish to do another one...14:22
tumbleweedheh14:22
micahgok, thanks everyone14:22
micahg#endmeeting14:23
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology
meetingologyMeeting ended Mon Jan 16 14:23:09 2012 UTC.14:23
meetingologyMinutes:        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2012/ubuntu-meeting.2012-01-16-14.07.moin.txt14:23
tumbleweedwell, I suppose I'll call for nominations for one seat (assuming the tb extend laney's seat, otherwise, he can nominate himself)14:23
Laneymaybe stgraber can just extend the membership14:23
micahgyes, that would work :)14:23
micahgstgraber: can you do that or should I make an official request?14:23
tumbleweednot that this helps our harmonisation14:23
micahgor both14:23
tumbleweedbut people will always retire at unusal times...14:24
stgrabermicahg: I think it'd be best to have an official request to the TB. I'm happy to do it then though :)14:24
micahgstgraber: alright, thanks14:24
LaneyI'll be the same as cody, emmet and st├ęphane then14:24
micahgand I concur14:24
Laneyvery harmonious14:24
micahgyes, we can still end up with one election per year which works out fine14:24
tumbleweedtrue14:25
micahgok, I have to run, I'll send out the meeting notes tonight14:25
Laneyperhaps, when you remove Sylvester, you could email him asking to resubmit the application at any time (with more positive endorsements)14:26
LaneySylvestre14:26
micahgok, can do14:27
Laneygrand14:29
* tumbleweed cribs from Laney's last call for nominations mail14:37
Laneysmashing idea14:37
* tumbleweed also asks for people to amke their addresses publiclly visible14:38
gesermicahg: having one election every year (and (re-)electing half the team) guarantees at least some expierenced members in the team (instead of a completely new team in worst case)15:12
arahello!15:59
roadmrhowdy!16:00
roadmrso it's... 16:00 UTC!16:00
roadmrthat means it's Ubuntu Friendly time!16:00
jedimikeheyhey!16:00
roadmrjedimike: glad you're here, today's topic will require your input :)16:01
roadmr#startmeeting Ubuntu Friendly meeting16:01
meetingologyMeeting started Mon Jan 16 16:01:14 2012 UTC.  The chair is roadmr. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AlanBell/mootbot.16:01
meetingologyAvailable commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired16:01
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology | Ubuntu Friendly meeting Meeting | Current topic:
roadmrHi everyone, welcome to the Ubuntu Friendly meeting!16:01
roadmrToday we have the following topics to talk about:16:01
roadmr* Link to feedback in answers.launchpad.net from a system's UF page - roadmr16:01
roadmr* Any Other Business16:01
roadmrAs usual, you're quite welcome to participate, to do so, indicate you want to speak by raising your hand (o/). Don't forget to also signal when you're done using ..16:02
roadmrLet's get started with the agenda!16:02
roadmr[TOPIC] Link to feedback in answers.launchpad.net from a system's UF page - roadmr16:02
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology | Ubuntu Friendly meeting Meeting | Current topic: Link to feedback in answers.launchpad.net from a system's UF page - roadmr
roadmrThe other day a user in #ubuntu-testing was inquiring about his laptop. He had to do several tweaks to get it working, and then submitted results to Ubuntu Friendly.16:03
roadmrHe asked me what would be a good place to document those tweaks. I pointed him to the "feedback" link in a system's page.16:03
roadmrHe then asked me if that feedback (in answers.launchpad.net) is visible, or at least accessible in a system's UF page.16:03
roadmrThe answer seems to be "no", which was disappointing to him because then all his effort testing and documenting his tweaks will be much less "discoverable" and doesn't benefit the community all that much.16:03
roadmrSo the question here is, would establishing such a link, or ideally making the answers.launchpad.net feedback visible directly in a system's UF page, be worth the effort? and on that topic, what would be the effort involved?16:04
roadmr..16:04
arao/16:04
roadmrara, your turn (heh)16:04
araThe first thing that we would need to solve, is a way to "link" a particular answer with a cid16:04
aradoes answers have tags?16:04
ara..16:05
arao/16:05
roadmrara: heheh, go :) (btw I see no tags in answers.launchpad.net)16:05
araor maybe create a related FAQ per system, but that seems a lot of work16:05
ara..16:06
jedimikeo/16:06
roadmrjedimike: go ahead!16:06
jedimikeit's really difficult to get back any answers posts for an ubuntu friendly system, because the only info we pass to answers is the make/model of the system to pre-populate the title field16:07
jedimikethe end user can change this in any way they like16:07
jedimikeLaunchpad is down at the moment so I can't see if there is a tagging system, I've not seen one before though16:07
jedimikeeven with tagging, we'd have to let UF know which tags were relevant for each system16:07
jedimikethe other way to do it might be...16:07
cr3o/16:07
jedimikeif we see a good answers post, we could manually link it to the UF system on the UF side16:08
jedimike...16:08
roadmrcr3, your turn16:08
cr3two potential solutions to linking answers:16:09
cr31. pseudo tag in one of the answers, like: #UF: make/model16:09
cr32. link to bug which has a tag16:09
cr3..16:09
cr3o/16:10
roadmrcr3: go, hehe16:10
cr3I'd be more inclined to have the linking user interaction on the launchpad side than on the UF side so that the latter can remain without user interaction16:11
cr3..16:11
jedimikeo/16:11
roadmrhmm the tag-answer sounds interesting16:11
roadmrjedimike, go ahead16:11
jedimikei agree with cr3, if we can do the linking on the launchpad side, we should16:12
jedimike...16:12
brendando/16:12
roadmrbrendand: go ahead :)16:12
brendandthe answers are created from UF itself? if so, can UF be fed back the id of the answer?16:13
brendand..16:13
cr3o/16:14
roadmrcr3, go16:14
cr3it could be possible to have the question created from UF phrased in such a way that it could be folded back into UF16:14
cr3..16:15
roadmr^^ this may work but what if the user changes the phrasing?16:15
roadmris there any API access to answers.launchpad.net?16:15
jedimikeo/16:17
roadmrjedimike: go ahead!16:17
cr3roadmr: I don't think we can get the identifier of the answer back from redirecting to a launchpad answer, unless we have a question form on UF itself which creates the entry on behalf of the user. this becomes complicated if we want to have the answer linked to the launchpad user16:17
jedimikeif we rely on the phrasing of the question, and the user changes it, we'd lose the link16:17
jedimike..16:17
cr3perhaps worth raising on launchpad-dev mailing list16:18
roadmrmaybe so!16:18
roadmrit seems complicated!16:18
* roadmr thinks everybody is thinking :)16:20
roadmrhow about using something other than answers.launchpad.net for the feedback?16:20
cr3roadmr: probably complicated enough not to be solved here :)16:20
cr3roadmr: could someone take an action item to raise with launchpad-dev?16:21
* cr3 should be slapped around for talking without raising hand16:22
roadmrcr3: that'd be great! I think either you or jedimike know those folks best, would you like to volunteer?16:22
cr3roadmr: sure, cc jedimike16:22
roadmr[ACTION] cr3 to inquire in lauchpad-dev about API access to answers.launchpad.net16:23
meetingologyACTION: cr3 to inquire in lauchpad-dev about API access to answers.launchpad.net16:23
roadmranything else we can do on this topic?16:24
* jedimike doesn't think so16:24
roadmrhmm OK, let's see what launchpad-dev thinks and go from there.16:25
roadmrTo be fair, we've only received one request for this functionality, so we may defer work on it until there's a big demand for it16:25
roadmrbut it sounds sensible to at least have an idea on how to proceed - and also, it seems like such an obvious feature we should have16:26
roadmranyway, moving on16:26
roadmr[TOPIC] Any Other Business16:26
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology | Ubuntu Friendly meeting Meeting | Current topic: Any Other Business
arao/16:26
roadmrara: go ahead!16:26
araCanonical's community team has a new member, responsible for the QA community16:27
araI guess we should reach him to count on friendly16:27
ara(and maybe take care of the community part of it...)16:27
araNicholas I think is his name16:27
ara..16:27
aradholbach, ^16:27
roadmrara: so should one of us contact him and let him know about UF?16:28
araI think so, what do you guys think?16:28
* roadmr thinks it's OK if it extends our reach into the community16:29
roadmrUbuntu Friendly has been a bit quiet lately16:29
dholbachara: it's Nicholas Skaggs, balloons is his nick name16:30
aracool, I can take the action item16:30
roadmr[ACTION] Ara to contact Nicholas Skaggs (balloons) to introduce the Ubuntu Friendly community16:30
meetingologyACTION: Ara to contact Nicholas Skaggs (balloons) to introduce the Ubuntu Friendly community16:30
roadmrawesome!16:31
roadmrAnything else on this topic?16:31
roadmrnothing.. Any other topics/ business to discuss?16:32
roadmrany takers? :)16:32
roadmrWell then...16:33
roadmrlet's end this meeting!16:34
roadmrWell I guess this wraps things up for today. Thanks for attending! Remember the mailing list is open to all your UF-related comments and inquiries.16:34
arathanks roadmr!16:34
roadmrThanks all for attending and for your comments and feedback! Have a great day!16:34
roadmr#endmeeting16:34
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology
meetingologyMeeting ended Mon Jan 16 16:34:32 2012 UTC.16:34
meetingologyMinutes:        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2012/ubuntu-meeting.2012-01-16-16.01.moin.txt16:34
=== retoaded is now known as retoaded_afk
=== nixternal is now known as fifo
=== fifo is now known as nixternal
=== plars_ is now known as plars

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!