=== dduffey is now known as dduffey_afk
pittiGood morning05:10
desrtpitti: word up05:11
pittihey desrt, how are you?05:17
desrtjust had a hilarious conversation with my girlfriend05:24
desrtshe's doing an assignment using MPI05:24
desrtthere's a function MPI_Send() that takes, as its first argument, an array of things to send05:25
desrtthe type of the array is specified in a later argument, like MPI_INT or MPI_DOUBLE, etc.05:25
desrtanyway.. the C type of the first argument is void*05:25
desrtso it can take any type of array05:25
desrtbut it's sending the array.... so why not const void *05:26
desrtshe had a function that had a 'const double *array' and wanted to send it using MPI_Send05:26
desrtand she was having a weird crash that she couldn't figure out... so i took a look05:26
desrtand i see MPI_Send (&array, ....05:26
desrtso i look at her and say "did it happen that you got a warning from the compiler about something to do with pointers and you thought to yourself 'hmmm.. sometimes these go away when i add a &, so let's try that...'?"05:27
desrtand she says "...HOW DID YOU KNOW?!"05:27
desrt(much laughing)05:28
pittiremembers me when I spent about two hours explaining the concept of pointers in C05:29
pittito my wife05:30
desrtit's funny because i remember the days when such a system used to work for me05:30
pittifor someone who previously only worked a bit with PHP, Java, and Python, this was quite a challenge indeed05:30
desrt"hmmm... compiler warning... i wonder if i should add more '*', or '&' instead?"05:30
mimicogood to know I am in such good company :-)05:30
pittidesrt: yeah, it's like dealing with a nagging cat or so -- you try this and that randomly until it's satisfied :)05:31
desrtpitti: is there an equivalent to apt-cache show for source packages?05:39
pittidesrt: yes; apt-cache showsrc05:39
desrtlovely.  thanks.05:39
=== jono is now known as Guest29470
pittirobert_ancell: hey Robert, how are you?06:38
pittirobert_ancell: I'll move your remaining three a2 WIs to b1, ok?06:38
* desrt discovers pbuilder --execute06:41
RAOFpitti: Would you be up for sponsoring colord to Debian?06:50
pittiRAOF: sure! toss me the .dsc?06:51
pittiRAOF: oh, or from git, I suppose06:51
RAOFYeah, git would be nice :)06:51
RAOFYou'll need to uscan; pristine-tar is having a hissy fit about .orig.tar.xz again, it seems.06:52
* RAOF thinks we should probably merge btrfs-tools from Debian, too; there's probably *something* interesting in the year and a half's development since our snapshot :)06:53
didrocksgood morning06:54
pittibonjour didrocks06:57
didrocksguten morgen pitti, how are you?06:57
* RAOF scurries off.06:57
didrockshey RAOF :)06:57
desrtRAOF: weird issue i'm seeing lately, btw06:58
desrtRAOF: occasionally i'll be using my mouse scrollwheel in an app06:58
desrtthen i'll go away and pay attention to another app for a bit06:58
desrtthen go and try to scroll on the first app06:59
desrtand the result is that it seems that a whole lot of 'scroll up' events are sent at once06:59
desrtwhich either takes me to the top of a webpage or makes my volume very very loud06:59
desrti've seen it happen at least with firefox and gtk3 apps06:59
desrtperhaps it's a weird symptom of the input transplant?06:59
desrtanyway... i'm having difficulty reproducing it, but it's happen maybe half a dozen times now07:01
* desrt does bed07:03
robert_ancellpitti, sorry, missed you there.  That's fine, gtg, cya later07:10
pitticu robert_ancell07:10
pittiRAOF: colord uploaded07:17
=== warp11 is now known as warp10
pittimvo: guten Morgen08:14
mvohey, guten morgen pitti08:19
chrisccoulsongood morning everyone08:38
pittihey chrisccoulson08:40
chrisccoulsonhi pitti, how are you?08:40
pittiquite fine, thanks! I'm happy to have bent aptdaemon and packagekit to my will :)08:41
didrockshey chrisccoulson08:41
pittibonjour didrocks08:41
didrocks07:57:22         pitti | bonjour didrocks08:41
didrocksspatial/temporal issue? :)08:41
didrockshey again pitti! ;)08:41
pittididrocks: cerebral issue08:42
pittididrocks: I'm just so happy to see you!08:42
didrockspitti: let's blame that on aptdaemon and packagekit! :)08:42
didrockspitti: ahah, I see that :-)08:42
pittior on my DSL reconnect 10 mins ago08:42
* didrocks hugs pitti08:42
pittinot sure whether my messages to mvo and GunnarHj came through08:42
didrocksI don't see them08:42
pitti(irclogs.u.c. is behind)08:42
pittididrocks: thanks, replaying08:43
pittimvo: I recently landed plugin support in packagekit and aptdaemon, and would like to update aptdaemon to current trunk after alpha-208:43
mvopitti: hi, I just saw a "hello"08:43
mvopitti: +108:43
pittimvo: this requires porting the s-c-aptdaemon-plugins to GI08:43
pittimvo: I sent a MP, but do you have some general reservations about this?08:43
mvopitti: I merged this this morning, many thanks!08:43
pittiGunnarHj: good morning! thanks for the fixes; reviewing now08:43
pittiGunnarHj: (and argh @ those UDD branches, I get merge conflicts)08:43
pittimvo: oh, that was quick, thanks!08:44
pittimvo: so we can upload that and aptdaemon after a2 freeze?08:44
pittithis works nicely now: pkcon what-provides "locale(de)"08:44
pittiso control-center or even our language-selector could use that upstream API now08:45
pittilanguage-selector-common now just ships a five-line PK plugin which works in PK and aptdaemon-pkcompat08:45
pittiit's quite nice now08:46
sil2100Good morning everyone08:46
pittiwe could also extend this with other apps, i. e. app-install-data-ubuntu could ship a what-provides(application) plugin, or generalize our gstreamer handling08:47
pittiand I can drop most of jockey's smarts with that, too08:47
agateaumorning everyone,08:47
pittihey sil2100, hey agateau08:47
agateaugot a strange error upgrading glib yesterday evening08:47
agateaudoes it ring a bell to anyone?08:47
pittiwelcome to multi-arch08:48
mvopitti: oh, that sounds interessting08:48
pitti(I bet)08:48
agateaupitti: I thought I entered multi-arch world last cycle?08:48
pittiagateau: did you dpkg -i a local build?08:48
didrockshey sil2100, salut agateau08:48
pittiagateau: it usually happens if the i386 and amd64 versions are not upgraded at the same time08:48
agateaupitti: I don't remember building glib myself, checking nevertheless08:49
pittiagateau: I also updated my amd64 machine from ubuntu-desktop PPA, that worked fine here08:49
pittioh, I recently removed all :i386 packages to test the new glib, so nevermind08:50
* sil2100 finished building and installing all those test packages08:50
agateaupitti: I don't have any i386 version of glib installed08:50
agateaupitti: could it be caused by i386 versions of other packages?08:50
pittino, I don't think so08:50
sil2100But I noticed that the compiz package you provided has a dlopen() of libplug1.so to /media/d1dddb1a-729f-40ef-9725-dc2a9ad56031/smspillaz/Source/Compiz/dev/dev/merges/compiz/core/compiz-core/build/src/libplug1.so08:50
pittiagateau: dpkg -S /usr/share/doc/libglib2.0-0/ChangeLog.pre-2-2.gz08:50
pittiagateau: that should say libglib2.0-008:51
pittibonjour seb12808:51
sil2100seb128: hi08:51
agateaupitti: mmm, that's embarassing08:51
seb128hey pitti, how are you?08:51
agateaupitti: libglib2.0-0:i38608:51
pittiagateau: ah, so perhaps you updated at a time when the PPA didn't have the new i386 built yet?08:51
pittiseb128: I'm great, thanks!08:51
seb128pitti, agateau: hiting that gzip multiarch bug again?08:51
pittiwe went bowling last night, quite some fun08:51
agateauseb128: yep08:51
seb128pitti, oh, nice ;-)08:52
pittiseb128: debugging ATM, I hope not08:52
seb128pitti, ricotz mentioning he was hitting it often with his ppa builds, he gave me a diff yesterday to exclude ChangeLog.pre-2-2.gz from the zippage08:52
pittiseb128: and I'm just boring everyone with the packagekit news :)08:52
didrockssalut seb12808:52
pittiseb128: oh, so it's that again? argh08:52
seb128lut didrocks08:52
seb128pitti, seems so08:52
agateaupitti: oh, just noticedd the libglib2.0-0:i386 as "iU" status in dpkg -l,08:53
agateaupitti: should i dpkg -r it?08:53
pittiagateau: it'll probably require you to uninstall other :i386 stuff08:54
pittiagateau: if you don't need it, yuou can sudo apt-get purge libglib2.0-0:i38608:54
agateaupitti: ok, trying this08:54
pittiagateau: if not, just delete that changelog file from your system and dist-upgrade again08:54
pittiagateau: s/if not/if you need it/08:55
chrisccoulsongaaaaaah, https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+archive/firefox-next/+build/3179551 !!08:56
chrisccoulsonhi seb12808:56
chrisccoulsonhow are you?08:56
agateaupitti: mmm, "apt-get purge..." => says to run apt-get -f install, "apt-get -f install" => complains about the .gz08:56
seb128hey chrisccoulson, I'm great thanks, how are you?08:56
seb128agateau, rm the .gz08:56
agateaupitti: going to rm the changelog file08:56
pittiagateau: bug 889303 FYI08:57
ubot2`Launchpad bug 889303 in gzip "gzip -9n sometimes generates a different output file on 64 bit (dup-of: 871083)" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/88930308:57
ubot2`Launchpad bug 871083 in gzip "gzip -9n sometimes generates a different output file on different architectures" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87108308:57
chrisccoulsonseb128, yeah, not too bad thanks. a bit tired though08:57
agateaupitti: ok, seems to fix it, thanks!08:57
agateaupitti: did I do something wrong to end up in this situation?08:58
pittiagateau: no, you didn't; it's the bug above08:59
seb128chrisccoulson, did you hack until early again? ;-)08:59
agateaupitti: ok08:59
chrisccoulsonseb128, not really, but i'm stuck in a pattern of going to sleep at 4am ;)08:59
seb128chrisccoulson, that's enough to be tired I guess :p09:01
chrisccoulsonand i'm nearly out of coffee!09:04
tjaaltonslomo: hey, looks like gst-plugins-bad0.10 doesn't build a -dev package, needed for gstreamer-vaapi (GST_BASEVIDEO). would you accept a patch adding that?09:07
slomotjaalton: no09:11
slomotjaalton: there's no -dev package on purpose09:11
slomotjaalton: the API of the -bad libraries is still unstable and possibly changes every release09:11
tjaaltonso no way to build -vaapi then?09:12
tjaaltonhow often does -bad release anyway, the previous one was in may '1109:14
slomotjaalton: there's a pre-release from december and a new one will be there this week, and hopefully a final release (probably the last in the 0.10 series) end of next week09:16
slomotjaalton: and no idea about gstreamer-vaapi, sorry09:16
tjaaltonslomo: ok, gstreamer-vaapi is needed for 12.0409:17
slomotjaalton: "needed"?09:17
pittitjaalton: perhaps you could copy some header files from -bad for the time being?09:17
tjaaltonslomo: by OEM's09:18
tjaaltonpitti: yeah, maybe..09:18
pittitjaalton: and then add a strict dependency, to force updating when -bad changes?09:18
slomotjaalton: it's really not the brightest idea to depend on the gst-plugins-bad libraries ;)09:18
slomobut pitti's idea sounds good, even if it's still ugly09:18
tjaaltonok, I'll work around it09:18
pittiwell, FSVO "good"09:18
pitticowboy packaging FTW09:19
tjaaltonbut if the next release is the last of 0.10, isn't it possible to add the -dev package for it? 0.11/1.0 will break the api anyway?09:19
slomotjaalton: i'll get in contact with gstreamer-vaapi upstream and we'll try to find a solution09:19
tjaaltonslomo: cool, thanks!09:20
slomotjaalton: ok, if you give me a patch to gst-plugins-bad to add a -dev package with a shlibs file that will always generate a =${binary:Version} dependency on the package i'll upload that to debian09:30
slomotjaalton: i guess that's the best solution for now, copying the headers is more likely to cause breakage09:30
tjaaltonslomo: cool, will do09:30
smspillazdidrocks: is there a way to force debuild to run autoreconf ?09:45
pittismspillaz: yes, there is a rather elegant way09:45
pittismspillaz: for cdbs packages, include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/autoreconf.mk09:45
didrockssmspillaz: for which package? (depends on which debhelper version)09:45
pittismspillaz: for dh7 packages, dh --with autoreconf09:45
smspillazdidrocks: metacity09:46
pittismspillaz: and add a dh-autoreconf build dep09:46
smspillazit doesn't run autoreconf :(09:46
didrockssmspillaz: you need to add a build-dep on dh-autoreconf09:46
smspillazok, will do09:46
pittimetacity is cdbs09:46
smspillazpitti: make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/autoreconf.mk'.  Stop.09:49
smspillazdpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error exit status 209:49
smspillazdebuild: fatal error at line 1350:09:49
pittismspillaz: as didrocks and I said, you need to add a dh-autoreconf build dep09:49
pittithat package ships it09:49
smspillazah fun09:50
GunnarHjpitti: Hello, Martin!09:52
pittihey GunnarHj09:52
GunnarHjpitti: Merged? Yeay!! :)09:52
pittiGunnarHj: heh, it took a while :)09:52
seb128mvo, pitti: do you have any opinion on what to do about bug #92317109:53
ubot2`Launchpad bug 923171 in update-manager "software-center crashed with AttributeError in popup(): 'Menu' object has no attribute 'popup_for_device'" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/92317109:53
pittiGunnarHj: I'm currently debugging the migration in postinst, it also writes everythign to /etc/environment09:53
pittiseb128: will look in a bit; wit gtk 3 popup_for_device() is supposed to work09:53
seb128mvo, pitti: it's basically the gtk currently in the ubuntu-desktop ppa which has an api break in annotations09:53
GunnarHjpitti: Yep. l-s should be much easier - in effect no important changes.09:53
seb128pitti, well, upstream renamed it on purpose, it's not really a bug, but it's still an api break... desrt started a discussion on the gtk devel list about binding stability09:54
mvohas anyone experience with the Geoclue dbus interface? when I use the ubuntu provider directly it works fine, but when I use org.freedesktop.Geoclue.Master it tells me it has no address provider09:54
mvoseb128: what are the options?09:54
seb128pitti, mvo: meanwhile not sure if we should revert or do something else or fix update-manager and software-center09:54
seb128mvo, ^ those 3 I guess09:54
GunnarHjpitti: Re: postinst - yes, shouln't it? That's what l-s has done all the time.09:54
seb1281- revert the rename, but that makes us api incompatible with upstream, I don't like it09:55
seb1282- somewhat add the old name as an alias or something (not sure how it can be done technically)09:55
seb1283- fix the rdepends09:55
pittiah, I see09:55
seb128fix -> update09:55
mvoseb128: I'm fine changing the code in s-c/u-m, its just yet another bad experience for me as a develop (and for others)09:55
mvoI think (2) is the best option for upstream09:55
mvobut *shrug*09:56
sil2100smspillaz: what does compiz use libplug.so for?09:56
pittiseb128: with the rename-to: I'm not sure whether we can write an override (your option 2)09:56
seb128mvo, if you can get 3) meanwhile, I plan to upload gtk after the a2 freeze09:56
seb128mvo, so I would like to not break stuff and you to be ready ;-)09:56
seb128pitti, yeah, me neither :-(09:56
mvoseb128: what needs to be used instead?09:56
pittiseb128: I'll examine 2 after I'm done with accountsservice09:56
seb128pitti, danke09:56
pittimvo: just popup(), as in the old days09:56
seb128what pitti said09:57
mvobut of course if I do that now it will break with current gtk09:57
mvo(Geoclue anyone ;) ?09:57
mvook, thanks09:57
pittimvo: I'll investigate re-inroducing _for_device()09:57
seb128I guess you can do a "get gtk version and conditional code paths"09:57
mvothanks pitti09:57
mvodo we have any idea for how long this was actually available?09:58
sil2100smspillaz: since main.cpp in compiz does a dlopen of libplug.so with some absolute path from your system, hm09:58
seb128mvo, but I agree it sucks hard, well at least this time they have an upstream discussion on how to solve this problem09:58
mvoi mean, what timeframe are we talking about?09:58
seb128mvo, for what?09:58
smspillazsil2100: um. whooooooooops09:58
mvopopup() vs popup_for_device()09:58
seb128mvo, the rename is in the gtk which is in the ppa that will go to precice when the a2 freeze lifts09:58
smspillazI think that was the tarball I was using to debug the linking bug09:58
mvoI assume that this is used by more than just u-m/s-c09:58
smspillazI'll get you a new one09:58
seb128mvo, so I hope today09:58
mvoI mean, when was popup_for_device introduced, how long ago?09:59
seb128mvo, well it's only an annotation rename, it doesn't affect C or vala09:59
pittican we hold this back a bit?09:59
sil2100smspillaz: hoho, so should I just remove the dlopen() thingy ;)? Or is there a bit more I'll have to remove?09:59
smspillaz(this is what happens when I rush around)09:59
sil2100smspillaz: thanks ;)09:59
smspillazsil2100: uhhh, I'll get you a new one, hang on09:59
pittiseb128: it's also used in computer-janitor and other places09:59
seb128pitti, sure, anyway I just wanted to start the discussion early so maybe we can resolve it and not delay the gtk upload too much09:59
pittiI still don't understand http://bugzilla-attachments.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=20614710:00
pittipopup() and popup_for_device() have two distinct APIs10:00
seb128pitti, but deal with your accountsservice changes and ping me back later when you have time for it10:00
pittiwhy can they rename one to be the other?10:00
seb128pitti, well see https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=65738510:00
ubot2`Gnome bug 657385 in menu "[introspection] gtk_menu_popup() not introspected" [Normal,Resolved: fixed]10:00
seb128they expose only one to bindings on purpose it seems10:01
seb128pitti, but anyway, finish what you are working on10:01
seb128we can discuss gtk after lunch or later today10:01
pittiyes, but popup_for_device() requires a device argument10:01
mvoheh :) does that mean that if you lookup how to use it using the C docs you get the wrong info? not quite the best approach10:02
mvoI mean, there are no binding specific docs and now when you look at the C docs they tell you something wrong?10:02
pittiyes, that's my concern10:03
seb128mvo, pitti: ok, what about reverting the annotation change for this upload? so we don't block gtk and don't break anything until we sort things10:03
smspillazsil2100: rebuilding hang on10:03
pittimvo, seb128: also, it's not a concern for python10:03
pittimvo: you can use .popup() right now10:03
pittithere's an override which defines a python .popup() bycalling popup_for_device(None, ...)10:04
pittiseb128: fine for me; it seems actively wrong to me10:04
seb128pitti, mvo: ok, I will revert for that upload so we can sort it quietly without rush10:05
mvoseb128: is there a good place to ask about geoclue?10:06
seb128mvo, not sure, you can try pinging bastien on #gnome-hackers if you have the skin for it :p10:06
sil2100smspillaz: ok ;)10:07
seb128mvo, otherwise wait for kenvandine to join, he's probably the one knowing the best that stack around, he worked with it before10:07
pittiseb128, mvo: I followed up to the upstream bug10:07
mvoseb128: I will wait for ken10:07
mvoseb128: I don't have enough guts for flames this morning10:07
seb128mvo, ;-)10:08
seb128pitti, danke10:08
=== zyga_ is now known as zyga-xchat
pittiGunnarHj: sorry, DSL reconnect; if you said something in the last few mins, I didn't get it10:25
jasoncwarner_hey seb128 quick ? for ya. I am testing a new install on a new machine and I am trying install dropbox, but I'm getting an error.10:25
pittiGunnarHj: so, got everything queued up in bzr, now waiting for the freeze to lift10:26
seb128jasoncwarner_, hey10:26
jasoncwarner_seb128: nautilus-dropbox depends on libnautilus-extension1 (>= 1:2.22.2); however:10:26
jasoncwarner_  Package libnautilus-extension1 is not installed.10:26
jasoncwarner_seb128: hey :)10:26
pittijasoncwarner_: sounds like a dropbox version for lucid or so10:26
jasoncwarner_when I try to install that extension, I can't b/c it is replaced by libnautilus-extension1a, which also doesn't install?10:26
seb128jasoncwarner_, seems that version of nautilus-dropbox needs to be rebuilt for precise10:26
pittijasoncwarner_: isn't that spelled "ubuntu one"? :-)10:26
jasoncwarner_pitti: :) yeah, it is10:27
jasoncwarner_pitti: I still have some old docs on there, unfortunately it seems10:27
pittiI thought the dropbox guys even asked us to remove dropbox from the archives10:27
seb128jasoncwarner_, the current version has a "a" at the end indeed, nautilus-dropbox needs to be rebuilt to use that one10:27
jasoncwarner_pitti: I tried downloading .deb from dropbox.com10:27
jasoncwarner_seb128: ok...I'll ask them to do that ;)10:27
seb128jasoncwarner_, ok10:28
pittihah: http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-precise/canonical-desktop-team-precise-alpha-2.html10:30
pitti(ok, cheating: moved some WIs)10:30
pittibut we are clean wrt. alpha-2 now10:30
didrockspitti: I think I'll have to drop my remaining oneconf WI (with the installer) as there is no work on ubiquity this cycle and with the latest additional requirements from design for g-c-c10:32
pittididrocks: ah, too bad :( I know it's a project close to your heart :(10:33
didrockspitti: yeah, but it's always postponed cause ENOTENOUGHTIME or EDEPENDSONOTHERTEAM :/10:33
didrocks(and the isd team dropped their oneconf WI)10:34
didrockswell, at least, we will still have the software-center integration :)10:34
didrocks(at least, it gained a full testsuite this cycle)10:35
=== Guest50763 is now known as p
=== p is now known as Guest62719
chrisccoulsonfantastic. whilst investigating another bug, i've discovered that the current firefox nightly doesn't build on armel :-(10:55
sorenEr.. How do I choose unity-2d in Precise? I don't see a session chooser in the Precise lightdm.11:16
didrocksI like the love from the testers11:17
didrocks"this test is silly, F is not the accelerator in all languages for File"11:17
didrocks(2 people)11:17
didrocksrather than telling that, please help updating it! :)11:17
sorenI see that unity-2d is installed by default, but how do I choose it?11:18
seb128soren, you click on the small gear icon on the greeter11:18
seb128next to your name11:18
sorenIt's not there.11:18
sorenI was in Oneiric..11:18
seb128soren, update your unity-greeter to the currnet version and restart?11:18
* soren goes and checks again11:18
seb128soren, I fixed that tuesday11:19
seb128soren, well I backported the fix from mterry to be exact11:19
sorenNote: This is not an upgrade (it's a new laptop), so I may be missing some packages or whatnot.11:19
sorenseb128: Oh. Yeah, I'm a couple of days behind on updates (hotel wifi and whatnot). I'll update. Thanks.11:19
sorenI just assumed the functionality moved somewhere else11:20
seb128soren, unity-greeter is tiny, otherwise log in and log out or switch user, I think it was off only on first greeter start11:20
rickspencer3seb128, pitti, etc...11:37
rickspencer3A2 today, what's the word on the street?11:37
rickspencer3didrocks, mot dans la rue?11:37
seb128rickspencer3, no issue that I know about11:38
seb128but I didn't follow things closely out of desktop land11:38
didrocksrickspencer3: unity 5.2 will maybe be slightly delayed (boot time regression). I'm continuing collecting the user results, taking time :)11:38
rickspencer3isn't A2 image already rolled?11:39
seb128rickspencer3, yes, unity 5.2 will be uploaded after a211:40
seb128rickspencer3, i.e orthogonal topic11:40
rickspencer3right, thanks seb12811:40
=== Guest62719 is now known as mandel
chrisccoulsonjasoncwarner_, you're using the aurora builds from https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-daily/+archive/firefox-aurora/+packages aren't you?12:00
jasoncwarner_chrisccoulson: I was on my other machine..but I had to send ti back to get repaired...on this new one I'm just using stock firefox12:01
jasoncwarner_chrisccoulson: firefox 1012:01
chrisccoulsonjasoncwarner_, oh, never mind then :)12:01
jasoncwarner_chrisccoulson: you want me to test something?12:01
chrisccoulsoni was going to ask if you wanted to smoketest the new builds, before i turn publishing back on again12:01
chrisccoulsonsoooooo, when can we start uploading again? :)12:09
pittirickspencer3: haven't really followed A2 this time, I'm afraid12:20
pittiit's been fairly quiet today, as most of the action happens during US day12:21
seb128can we upload yet?!12:25
seb128can we upload yet?!12:25
seb128can we upload yet?!12:25
sil2100smspillaz: how's the rebuilding proceeding ;)?12:26
sil2100I mean, re-packaging12:26
smspillazoh right12:26
smspillazI'll upload the new tarball now12:26
smspillazsorry got caught up in a bunch of stuff12:26
smspillazsil2100: same place as it was last time12:27
smspillaz(keep in mind I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test this one)12:27
smspillazat least all the unit tests pass though12:27
ricotzseb128, hi12:28
seb128ricotz, hey, how are you?12:28
sil2100smspillaz: thanks - sorry for the trouble!12:28
smspillazsil2100: no, thank /you/ :)12:28
ricotzseb128, great, you too?12:28
seb128ricotz, I'm fine thanks12:28
smspillazand /sorry/ from myself from the delay and the accidental oops12:28
ricotzseb128, did you added the glib packaging changes?12:29
seb128ricotz, no, I plan to do that for the upload to precise once the a2 freeze lifts which is not done yet12:29
ricotzespecially libelf-dev12:29
seb128ricotz, I didn't plan to do another ppa upload only for that12:30
seb128by the time the ppa build the archive will probably be unfrozen :p12:30
ricotzi see ;)12:30
seb128ricotz, is gtk good otherwise or do you have fixes for it as well?12:31
ricotzseb128, havent looked at gtk3, sorry12:31
ricotzthere werent changes like glib had12:32
seb128ricotz, no worry, I was just asking to make sure to not overlook something you already fixed ;-)12:32
ricotzi guess light-themes are fixed too12:32
seb128Cimi said he would have them fixed today12:33
ricotzyes, i noticed some commits12:33
ricotzhavent checked, but it could be it isnt working with current trunk again12:34
seb128ricotz, yeah, it seems he fixed it in trunk12:36
* ricotz meant light-themes trunk probably isnt working with current gtk trunk again :\12:37
seb128ricotz, not a surprised, they are quite agressive on theming changes this cycle12:39
seb128ricotz, we will have to do the same themes update dance again for next tarball12:40
smspillazsil2100: tarball is in the same place12:40
seb128Laney, hey12:40
ricotzseb128, yeah :\12:40
seb128Laney, seems that the new tomboy serie is not too crazy on changes you can probably update precise to 1.9 if you want12:41
seb128Laney, just mentioning that we have no objection to update if you want to do it, no strong reason to update either, your call basically ;-)12:42
sil2100smspillaz: thanks!12:49
=== greyback is now known as greyback|lunch
=== MacSlow is now known as MacSlow|lunch
seb128chrisccoulson, oh!13:06
seb128chrisccoulson, you get bug #923774 it seems ;-)13:06
ubot2`Launchpad bug 923774 in unity "launcher doesn't get its colors back when closing the dash with esc" [Low,Invalid] https://launchpad.net/bugs/92377413:06
seb128chrisccoulson, I closed it because it happened only once, but seems it's not only me then :p13:07
Laneyseb128: hey, yeah, probably will soon. I actually wasn't intentionally not doing it, just got distracted by doing the mono transition in debian13:09
seb128Laney, ok, thanks13:11
chrisccoulsonseb128, yeah, it's quite reproducible for me :)13:22
seb128chrisccoulson, oh, it's on the second monitor, I work lid closed most of the time, I probably hit it while playing with multimonitor the other day13:23
* sil2100 is struggling with packages13:41
GunnarHjpitti: ping?13:43
pittihey GunnarHj13:43
GunnarHjpitti: Shouldn't im-switch be a dependency in l-s, even if it's deprecated, as long as we haven't changed the code to make use of im-config instead?13:43
GunnarHjSuppose that whether such a code change is motivated depends on the status of l-s.13:43
GunnarHj* l-s replaced by g-c-c before 12.04 => Don't bother13:43
GunnarHj* l-s shipped with 12.04             => Change13:43
pittiGunnarHj: yes, I think it should be13:44
pittiGunnarHj: ah, I was going to apply that patch separately, sorry13:44
* pitti does not13:44
pittierr, "now"13:44
GunnarHjpitti: Does it mean you'll add that dependency now? :)13:45
GunnarHjpitti: Ok.13:45
pittiGunnarHj: pushed13:45
pittisorry for the oversight13:46
GunnarHjpitti: No problem.13:46
GunnarHjpitti: When do you think it will be decided on l-s in 12.04? I'm asking because if it will be included, and since it's an LTS, I think the help document should be updated and translated.13:48
pittiGunnarHj: certainly within the next two or three weeks -- whatever is in beta-1, will be in final13:49
pittiGunnarHj: I'll talk to rodrigo next time he gets online13:49
pittiI have some prerequisite work to land for him after the freeze13:49
chrisccoulsonseb128, ah, https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/925442/comments/413:50
ubot2`Launchpad bug 925442 in unity "Colour of launcher on second monitor is not restored after closing the dash" [Undecided,New]13:50
chrisccoulsonthere are cases where it doesn't happen :)13:50
GunnarHjpitti: Ok, then it will be enough time to fix the docs and other minor things.13:50
pittiGunnarHj: but AFAIUI the region panel still doesn't have a method for configuring ibus13:50
pittiGunnarHj: so I'm beginning to consider just keeping l-s a little longer13:51
chrisccoulsonhmmm, time to free some cruft. firefox build just died because i ran out of disk space13:51
pittiat least we have a proper check-language-support now13:51
pittiand we can integrate the library into ubiquity13:51
GunnarHjpitti: Input method handling is mentioned in the spec at https://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings/RegionAndLanguage, but I don't know about real life.13:53
=== greyback|lunch is now known as greyback
=== MacSlow|lunch is now known as MacSlow
pittiGunnarHj: ah, I don't think that's currently implemented14:01
smspillazchrisccoulson: haha, I keep hearing about the fact that they have to back out features too because the compiler runs out of memory14:04
chrisccoulsonsmspillaz, oh, that's only happened on windows, and only once recently (and it was the linker)14:04
chrisccoulsonand also because the linker is constrained to 3GB of address space ;)14:04
smspillazyeah I can imagine linking firefox must be ... painful14:04
smspillazchrisccoulson: yeah I know it was just windows ;-)14:04
GunnarHjpitti: What's even more important IMO is whether they have implemented an interface for maintaining the LANGUAGE list.14:05
chrisccoulsonlinking chrome is even more painful - that's apparently 9GB on windows ;)14:05
smspillazchrisccoulson: yeah all that static linking14:05
pittiGunnarHj: not in Rodrigo's current branch14:05
seb128chrisccoulson, stop, you remind me of my recent webkit build :p14:05
GunnarHjpitti: Hmm, in that case ...14:05
pittiGunnarHj: I just saw that we could drop the old CheckLanguageSupport class/code relatively easily now14:08
pittiso I'll at least do that to get rid of some crufty code14:08
GunnarHjpitti: Great, then I don't need to try understanding it. :)14:10
pittiGunnarHj: btw, could you try something quickly?14:11
pittiGunnarHj: I'm not sure it's because of my hacked box, or a genuine bug14:11
GunnarHjpitti: I can try, what's up?14:11
chrisccoulsonoh, that was really stupid of me. in an effort to free up disk space after i ran out and hosed a build already, i have just rm -rf'd my new build tree!14:12
pittiGunnarHj: so, start gnome-language-selector14:12
pittiGunnarHj: can you drag'n'drop stuff in the lang list?14:12
pittiGunnarHj: I can't14:12
pittiGunnarHj: it starts working when I operate any combobox, like the ibus one or switch to Region and change the locale there14:12
GunnarHjpitti: Oh, I'm on Oneiric now - Precise is on a separate partition, so I need to quit here and come back.14:13
pittiGunnarHj: does it work on oneiirc?14:13
GunnarHjpitti: Yes.14:14
chrisccoulsonsmspillaz, http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.apps.firefox/browse_thread/thread/ab0164a039e425e4#14:14
pittiGunnarHj: ok, good; at least it's not a released regression yet14:14
chrisccoulsonthat means they can update their toolchain and avoid the 3GB address space limit14:14
GunnarHjpitti: Btw, I did that in Precise several times when testing the a-s MP, so I'd say that it works for me in Precise as well.14:15
pittiGunnarHj: ok; could be a recent GTK regression then14:15
smspillazchrisccoulson: this really is the trouble with supporting an operating system for *thirteen years*14:15
chrisccoulsonyeah :)14:15
seb128pitti, what regressed?14:16
chrisccoulsonsmspillaz, but, we need them to support us for 5 years, which is probably going to be harder than supporting windows for 13 years ;)14:16
smspillazchrisccoulson: indeed14:16
pittiseb128: can you open gnome-language-selector and check if you can move items in teh lang list with drag&drop?14:16
seb128pitti, I can't, I noticed that the other day, I had to edit .profile by hand to restore my locale14:17
seb128which I broke by running the region capplet for testing14:17
pittiseb128: you can operate a combobox like the ibus or the region locale one14:17
pittiseb128: then it starts working14:17
seb128oh ok14:17
pittiwell, at least for me14:17
seb128well in any case I confirm the issue14:17
pittithat's with and without ubuntu-desktop PPA14:17
seb128it's not the most recent gtk, I got it before that iirc14:17
pittii. e. either GTK14:17
GunnarHjseb128, pitti: Strange, I haven't noticed it, and have tested it a lot lately on an updated Precise.14:19
=== dduffey_afk is now known as dduffey
cyphermoxpitti: could you please take a look at the checkbox 0.12.10 package in the queue for oneiric-proposed? :)14:51
pittichrisccoulson: hm, the new version doesn't mention bug 877752, which is also verification-failed?14:52
ubot2`Launchpad bug 877752 in checkbox "connect_wireless can unintentionally choose a non-wireless connection to connect to" [Undecided,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87775214:52
chrisccoulsonpitti, was that meant for cyphermox? ;)14:53
pittierr, yes, sorry14:53
cyphermoxpitti: right, the fix was dropped from it?14:54
cyphermoxdid I screw this up again?14:54
pitticyphermox: no, I was just wondering14:55
pittias it's glaring red on pending-sru.html :)14:55
cyphermoxoh ok :)14:55
pitticyphermox: hm, the diff looks very incomplete; it addresses two of the changes mentioned, but not theh others?14:58
pitticyphermox: http://launchpadlibrarian.net/91624753/checkbox_0.12.9_0.12.10.diff.gz14:58
pittiGunnarHj: did I get this right, l-s is not using the ls-dbus-backend SetSystemDefaultLanguageEnv() stuff any more, right?15:06
GunnarHjpitti: Yes it does - for setting system language and system formats.15:07
pitti./LanguageSelector/LanguageSelector.py:        iface.SetSystemDefaultFormatsEnv(sysFormats)15:07
pittiGunnarHj: was asking because of this ^15:07
pittiGunnarHj: same for SetSystemDefaultLanguageEnv15:09
pittiGunnarHj: it looks like ./LanguageSelector/gtk/GtkLanguageSelector.py has writeSystemFormats() which calls writeSysFormatsSetting() which in turn calls SetSystemDefaultFormatsEnv15:11
pittihm, confused15:11
GunnarHjpitti: SetSystemDefaultLanguageEnv() is a method in dbus_backend/ls-dbus-backend15:12
GunnarHjpitti: Yes, it's a chain of calls to get to the place where it actually happens.15:12
pittiGunnarHj: right; and I thought we could get rid of that dbus-backend15:13
pittiGunnarHj: I thougt it would call accountsservice now15:13
GunnarHjpitti: But how would an admin then be able to change the system settings? You need to be root for that.15:14
pittiso accountsservice doesn't do that/15:14
pittisec, door bell15:14
pittiotherwise, why would accountsservice need to change /etc/default/locale?15:14
GunnarHjpitti: Yes, but only for user settings. accountsservice serves accounts, not the system.15:15
GunnarHjpitti: Does a-s change /etc/default/locale?15:16
pittiGunnarHj: ah, right; mixed that up15:16
GunnarHjpitti: Ok15:16
pittiGunnarHj: it seems it should at some point15:16
pitticontrol-center has the same "system-wide" button, I wonder what they use15:16
GunnarHjpitti: I don't know either.15:20
pittiGunnarHj:  5 files changed, 8 insertions(+), 462 deletions(-)15:30
pittiGunnarHj: some cleanup :)15:30
pittiGunnarHj: (the 8 additions are just debian/changelog)15:31
GunnarHjpitti: Nice! Will study it later on.15:31
pittiGunnarHj: unless you want your eyes to pop out, I suggest to rather not look at the old CheckLanguageSupport.py code15:32
GunnarHjpitti: Thanks for the warning. :)15:32
pittiGunnarHj: the fun thing is, even with removing all this, gnome-language-selector _still_ shows me the missing packages -- it must have another duplication of that entire logic somewhere15:33
ronochttp://musicforprogramming.net/ - a pleasure15:33
pittiGunnarHj: oh, indeed, in LangCache.py -- gosh15:33
smspillazronoc: <3!!!!!!15:34
smspillazronoc: I keep listening to explosions in the sky haha, would be nice to have a change15:35
ronocsmspillaz, nothing wrong with a bit of explosions, although after a while i would need to change, some nice stuff in those mixes. there is always our set of podcasts for the more opened minded forwind.net/podcasts15:36
=== m_conley_away is now known as m_conley
GunnarHjpitti: Yes. As you may recall, I proposed a change in LanguageInformation() for Oneiric, which was needed to deal with the Oneiric simplifications of language installation.15:37
ronocsmspillaz, some are pretty accessible (the first couple)  the later ones are very free improvy15:37
* pitti bursts out in tears15:37
smspillazdidrocks: hey, next compiz upload are we changing the ws switcher shortcuts to use <super>foo instead of <ctrl><super>foo ?15:52
didrockssmspillaz: yeah15:55
didrockssmspillaz: why, should we old on that?15:55
=== fenris is now known as Guest60985
smspillazdidrocks: nope, just checking16:00
seb128mdeslaur, please don't assign bugs to ubuntu-desktop, assign them to canonical-desktop-team if they need to be assigned16:02
seb128mdeslaur, ubuntu-desktop team has the ubuntu-desktop mailing list set as email address so assigning to it leads to list spamming16:03
mdeslaurseb128: whoops! sorry about that16:08
seb128mdeslaur, no worry, you are not the first one to do it ;-)16:08
seb128kenvandine, when do you plan to upload your new g-c-c?16:25
kenvandinewhen it works :)16:25
desrtmpt: hey16:26
seb128kenvandine, I noticed it because launchpad is stupid and sent a bunch of "lp:~ken-vandine/gnome-control-center/expose-card-ports" links to bugs listed in the previous changelogs16:26
kenvandinei refreshed all the patches so it merges with the latest package16:26
desrtmpt: looking at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MenuBar#inherited just now16:26
mptdesrt, yep16:26
desrtmpt: are you aware of how the gmenumodel stuff generally works?16:26
mptdesrt, I know it's a structure that can be reused, but no more than that.16:26
seb128kenvandine, yeah, well don't worry about that, I'm asking because I wanted to do an upload today or tomorrow and I was wondering if I should wait for you to upload and sneak stuff in or just go ahead16:26
kenvandineseb128, that was because i was sending ronoc a branch with all the quilt patches applied for him to base on16:27
desrtmpt: these mockups pretty much hit the nail right on the head16:27
seb128kenvandine, i.e if you will be ready this week or probably rather next week16:27
desrtmpt: except that the structure is slightly less flexible than what you suggest here16:27
kenvandineseb128, i want to put it in the ubuntu-desktop ppa first16:27
seb128kenvandine, ok, I will just do my upload then, thanks16:27
kenvandineseb128, is there a release?16:27
desrtmpt: at present, the only changes that can be supported as you move between windows is that items can be greyed16:27
seb128kenvandine, no, I just want to merge the work from agateau and maybe backport some git fixes16:28
kenvandineok, the tricky thing is ronoc's patch is hugh16:28
mptdesrt, so, no changes in function, let alone rewordings or additions?16:29
seb128kenvandine, I'm pondering if it wouldn't be better to change his code to be a new .so16:29
kenvandineseb128, after you upload i'll rebase the patches for ronoc again16:29
desrtmpt: function can easily change16:29
desrtmpt: rewordings and additions.... no.  not so much16:29
mptdesrt, though I suppose you could fake changes in function by figuring out what window is currently focused afterwards, right16:29
kenvandineronoc, ^^16:29
seb128kenvandine, i.e new subdir16:29
seb128rather than patching over GNOME code16:29
desrtmpt: but we're still in the phase where we can expand the functionality if we find a reasonable way to do so16:29
kenvandinewould be much easier!16:29
mptdesrt, splendid16:29
desrtmpt: the way it works is that each menuitem is either directed at the application or the window16:30
ronockenvandine, seb128, I'm working on it some more. just ping me ken when we should rebase, ill be working late16:30
desrtwindow actions get greyed out if the currently focused window doesn't have that action16:30
desrtapp actions are always available and work irrespective of which window is focused16:30
desrtdifferent windows can deal in a different way with window-directed actions, of course16:30
kenvandineronoc, what do you think about making it a new panel?16:30
mptdesrt, that makes sense. The kinds of item that are targeted at the application would be roughly the set that is available when its Help > About window is focused, for example16:31
ronockenvandine, could do16:31
desrtmpt: things like 'new window', for example16:31
kenvandineronoc, it would be much easier to maintain... just cp it all to a new subdir16:31
mptdesrt, exactly16:31
desrtfrom the app author side this gets handled rather nicely as well16:32
desrtyou have a GtkApplication (implements GActionMap) and GtkApplicationWindow (implements GActionMap)16:32
desrtand the actions are delivered to the appropriate thing automatically16:32
desrtso the easiest thing for app authors to do tends to be the thing that we want them to do anyway16:33
desrtmpt: anyway... the '...' situation is sort of interesting16:33
desrtmpt: fwiw, here two two extensions that i have considered to the menu protocol that could probably implement everything you want (although not in the most elegant way)16:34
desrtthe first is an active-label attribute16:34
mptdesrt, that's perhaps slightly distracting as a first example of changed text ... the "Select >" submenu vs. "Select All" item is a simpler example16:34
desrtthis would allow us to have the equivalent of checkbox menuitems that have their current state represented by changing the label16:34
desrtso instead of "✓ Fullscreen"16:35
desrtyou get "Fullscreen" and "Leave fullscreen"16:35
mptdesrt, an even simpler example would be a "Zoom (100%)" item in one document window, and a "Zoom (120%)" item in a second document window16:35
desrtright.  we already have a similar request for that by someone who wants to show SIP account credit (€) in their menus16:35
desrtit calls for something vaguely like a format string16:36
desrtmpt: the menu-items-changes-to-submenu case is pretty extreme16:36
desrtthe second thing i've been considering16:37
desrtthe default behaviour is to grey menu items if the action is not available16:37
desrtwe could introduce an attribute that would change that behaviour to hiding16:37
desrtthis could be a very powerful hammer16:37
desrtall the menu items are there, but the user only sees half of them at a given time, depending on context16:37
mptdesrt, I'm not a programmer or anything, but that sounds vaguely over-specific ... Imagine a browser, for example, where the windows share most menus, but they have independent "History" menus16:40
mptdesrt, it would be a bit hackish to have a single "History" menu data structure containing the superset of all history items from all windows, and then hide most of it in each.16:41
chrisccoulsonmpt, i'm not sure that's a good example, as the history is normally shared across windows. but, imagine a mail client where the contents and structure of the menus in the main window are completely different from those in the compose window ;)16:43
mptchrisccoulson, that's actually my example in the wiki page16:43
chrisccoulsonoh, i have to admit, i didn't look at that yet :)16:43
mptThe structure is not completely different, but there are variations16:44
desrtmpt: so that won't work here16:44
mptAnd I didn't say it was a Web browser. ;-)16:44
desrtmpt: i consider that to be a slightly unusual case16:44
chrisccoulsonwhat else did you mean>? surely the only application that people actually use is a web browser? ;)16:45
mptchrisccoulson, a help browser, or a mail viewer with multiple windows, or a function brower in an IDE16:45
desrtmpt: what would be the content of this history menu while the about dialog was showing?16:45
desrtstrangely empty?16:46
desrtor is the history actually a global thing?16:46
mptdesrt, in this (non-Web) example, "History" would be insensitive in the base set of menus (e.g. for the About window or the Preferences window)16:47
desrtmpt: the entire submenu would be insensitive?16:47
desrti have two concerns there16:48
mptdesrt, the basic model I was imagining was "This window has the base set of menus, minus these items, plus these other items, with these items sensitive, and these items renamed"16:48
desrtfirst is that i don't know of any prescedent for that, and it may confuse the user16:48
desrtsecond is that it's not presently possible :)16:48
desrtmpt: this sort of 'patching' is not possible16:49
desrtwhat is possible is that the window could provide its own menubar16:49
desrtbut it's an all-or-nothing sort of situation16:50
mptdesrt, not possible in practice, or not possible even in theory?16:50
desrtnot possible in practice16:50
desrtand in theory, it sounds difficult and error-prone to implement16:50
mptWell, I didn't know that any of this was possible in practice, so we're still ahead16:50
pittiGunnarHj: ok, I'm done with the slaughtering for today, need to run now16:51
desrtwe're basically talking about getting data from one source and a patch from another and live-applying the patch to the original source before showing it16:51
pittiGunnarHj:  42 insertions(+), 797 deletions(-) :)16:51
* mpt browses the office for an example16:51
pittiGunnarHj: there is no duplication of the pkg_depends stuff any more now, and the worst code is gone now16:51
pittiGunnarHj: I tested it lightly, but if you want to beat on it some more, please do :)16:52
desrtmpt: at the end of the day, apps that want to do unusual things can choose to do them in response to different windows being given focus16:52
pittigood night everyone!16:52
desrtmpt: that's how it works on macos, for example16:52
desrtthe menubar there is an application-wide construct... if someone wants to change something for a particular window then they do it when that window gets the focus16:53
didrocksgood night pitti!16:54
chrisccoulsonoh, pitti is gone already17:03
chrisccoulsoni might want to talk to you about bug 894166 tomorrow :)17:03
ubot2`Launchpad bug 894166 in firefox "Make hyphenation work with system hyphenation patterns" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/89416617:03
chrisccoulsonso we can make the packages a bit smaller again17:03
desrtman... hyphenation is great fun17:03
chrisccoulsonour problem is actually quite simple. the languages specified by web content don't map directly to our hyphenation patterns17:04
desrt"let's take one of the most quirky things about a quirky system (scratch that... 100 quirky systems each quirky in their own way) and attempt to formalise it!"17:05
mptOk, I couldn't find an example17:08
mptdesrt, fair enough.17:09
desrtless work for me :)17:09
sil2100I'm just trying out the packages I just built17:10
sil2100didrocks: I'm not really knowledgable in how unity 3d starts up - launching unity is enough?17:11
sil2100Since I want to find where the problem lies17:11
didrockssil2100: yeah, "unity" is basically launching "compiz --replace"17:11
sil2100Right now the window manager seems to be running, but I don't see the panel or the launcher17:12
sil2100The decorator is running, but no unity process17:13
sil2100didrocks: so, essentially, compiz should just load the unity plugin on start?17:19
didrockssil2100: exactly17:21
sil2100didrocks: is it normal that my compiz cannot stat (find) libcore.so in both home directory and system-wide compiz directory?17:23
didrockssil2100: urgh, no, that doesn't sound good17:25
didrockssil2100: dpkg -L compiz17:25
didrocksdo you have the libcore.so there?17:25
sil2100Ouch, no17:26
sil2100Just docs17:26
sil2100didrocks: but compiz-core has libcompiz_core.so - not sure if this is the one though17:26
didrocksah :)17:26
didrocksyeah, it's that one17:27
sil2100Since compiz says it was looking for libcore.so17:27
didrocksI think something is bad upstream in looking up for the name17:27
didrockssil2100: just for the art of testing, try a symlink17:27
sil2100Well, still no launcher or panel - the unity plugin doesn't seem to work17:30
sil2100But ccsm says it's enabled17:30
sil2100didrocks: how could I debug compiz/unity to see what's happening exactly?17:30
didrockssil2100: you have some debugging variable, one sec :)17:35
didrockssil2100: first, when you restart compiz17:35
sil2100Ok, I think I have something - I restarted compiz with --debug17:35
didrockson the command line, it should say:17:35
didrocks"starting unityshell"17:36
sil2100Didn't see that, hmm17:36
=== fenris is now known as Guest57960
=== Guest57960 is now known as ejat
m4n1shdidrocks: is the packaging done? just wanted to know18:20
didrocksm4n1sh: it's done, it failed to build on the ppa, but I'll have a look tomorrow, probably a missing dep18:21
didrocksm4n1sh: do you have a release coming soon?18:21
didrocks(an official one)18:21
m4n1shbut cant fix distcheck18:21
m4n1shcant understand what's wrong18:21
m4n1shdeps: gee-1.0, gtk-3.0, gio-unix-2.0 and zeitgeist-1.018:21
didrockswell, let's make dist for now then :)18:21
m4n1shand then libgnome-control-center18:21
didrocksm4n1sh: will you publish the tarball on launchpad?18:22
didrocksgreat! :)18:22
m4n1shupdated the license, maintainers18:22
didrocksm4n1sh: so tomorrow, I'll have a look ;) just publish it on launchpad, I'll find it!18:22
m4n1shjust a few small more bits18:22
didrocksexcellent ;)18:22
m4n1shdidrocks: just subscribe to dev@lists.zeitgeist-project.com if you want18:22
m4n1shvery very very low traffic18:22
m4n1shmostly announcements these days18:23
didrocksm4n1sh: ok, I'll :)18:23
jbichait's supposed to be 74F today here!18:56
jbichaseb128: am I ok to upload gnome-desktop 3.3.4?19:04
dobeyjbicha: judging from doko's mail this morning, i'd probably suggesting waiting until tomorrow earliest, as full distro rebuilding is going on right now19:06
micahgdobey: distro rebuild will take almost 2 weeks :)19:08
dobeymicahg: universe sure, but mail said main was "almost done"19:08
micahgregardless, it doesn't matter, the packages have already been copied unless you're waiting to see if it fails and want to fix something19:09
seb128jbicha, I'm not sure, it's on my list to check19:17
seb128jbicha, cf http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-settings-daemon/commit/?id=6e17bc786f55f283f2c721249197e7740174fd4319:18
seb128"This requires gnome-desktop 3.3.4 or later, as the semantics of gnome_rr_screen_new() are slightly different there - now it returns a singleton instead of a new object every time."19:18
seb128jbicha, we might need to drop one of our gsd patches and backport part of that commit19:18
jbichaseb128: ok, I'll wait then19:21
micahgkenvandine: any reason why bug 845374 isn't milestoned?19:25
ubot2`Launchpad bug 845374 in gwibber "gwibber-service crashed with IOError in get_avatar_path(): [Errno 5] Input/output error: u'/home/nick/.cache/gwibber/avatars/https:graph.facebook.com100000124833624picture'" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/84537419:25
kenvandinemicahg, no particular reason19:26
micahgkenvandine: I keep getting hit by this daily, not sure if there's any ill effects, but it's certainly annoying19:27
kenvandineoh, you can reproduce it easily?\19:27
micahgno, but my system can apparently :)19:28
kenvandinei've never been able to repro it19:28
micahgkenvandine: need ecryptfs, subscribe to !ubuntu on identi.ca19:29
kenvandinei am subscribed19:29
kenvandinebut no ecryptfs19:29
kenvandinei'll set that up in a VM19:29
micahgyeah, I think it only triggers with ecryptfs19:30
GunnarHjpitti: The slaughter of l-s code sounds interesting. I will test it, of course.19:30
kenvandinemicahg, can you please comment about that on the bug?19:30
GunnarHjpitti: Sounds like you have implicitly made up your mind about l-s and 12.04.19:30
GunnarHjpitti: Good night!19:30
micahgkenvandine: updated19:31
=== fenris_ is now known as Guest43512
kenvandinemicahg, thx19:32
=== Guest43512 is now known as ejat
chrisccoulsonyou'd think that turning off compiler optimizations would make it less likely that your application crashes19:52
chrisccoulsonbut in this case, it's had completely the opposite effect19:52
chrisccoulsonand it doesn't even get to main()19:54
chrisccoulsonthis is going to be fun19:54
seb128chrisccoulson, well, at least you can't blame the compiler ;-)19:54
chrisccoulsonseb128, well, it worked fine before i turned off the optimizations19:54
chrisccoulsonand now it crashes in a static initializer19:55
seb128I'm glad I don't maintain firefox19:55
chrisccoulsonseb128, i'll buy you a beer if we swap places!19:55
chrisccoulsonyou maintain firefox, i look after gnome19:55
chrisccoulsonalso, you live in birmingham, i become french ;)19:56
kenvandineseb128, guess what i just noticed... with gtk 3.3.12, unity 5.0 and the latest light-themes the indicator menus are all gray19:56
* micahg thinks chrisccoulson would have to get seb128 a pub for that switch :)19:56
kenvandineneeds a fix to unity19:56
seb128chrisccoulson, there is no enough beer at UDS to seal that deal19:56
kenvandineunity-staging includes the fix19:56
seb128kenvandine, 5.0 or 5.2?19:57
kenvandine5.2 includes the fix19:57
seb128kenvandine, didrocks plans to upload 5.2 tomorrow morning19:57
seb128kenvandine, can you read the menu if you look hard or are they really same color?19:57
chrisccoulsonhmmm, i think it's time to disassemble19:57
kenvandineseb128, you can read it fine19:58
kenvandineit is just gtk gray19:58
kenvandineinstead of black19:58
kenvandineand has dark fg_color19:58
kenvandineso nothing terrible19:58
kenvandinejust ugly19:58
seb128kenvandine, ok, that's fine, we can wait tomorrow for cosmetic issue, I would argued for revert if it was not possible to read19:58
kenvandinewell, not that ugly19:58
kenvandinesimilar to radiance :)19:58
seb128kenvandine, well it's possible to read or not19:58
seb128if you can read it will wait tomorrow ;-)19:58
kenvandineyeah... it is fine :)19:59
desrtDBO: bamf docs are broken21:00
DBOdesrt, fix them21:00
desrtDBO: did you do the work for those xprops in bamf yet?21:13
DBOdesrt, it's merged21:13
desrtDBO: how does the API work?21:13
desrtwas that an answer?21:16
desrtoh.  i see now.21:16
desrtDBO: are there forthcoming updates for the property changes i mentioned?21:17
DBOdid you mention property changes to me??21:18
desrtjust after the end of the rally...21:18
desrtthere are 6 properties now..21:18
DBOwas I drunk at the time?21:18
desrti think i'm missing something21:19
desrtdoes the bamf daemon have a separate source package?21:19
DBOdesrt, just email me the shit you need and when you need it by21:19
DBOdesrt, no21:19
chrisccoulsonhah, this is brilliant: https://twitter.com/#!/TedMielczarek/status/16516919594281369621:20
desrtDBO: it's pretty straightforward... this is what we ended up going with: http://live.gnome.org/ApplicationSpecification#New_X11_Properties21:22
DBOdesrt, email gets you in my todo list21:22
desrtfair enough21:22
desrtas for when: before bamf freezes API obviously21:22
desrtother than that, i'm going to just directly hit up X for the info21:22
desrtuntil the bamf API grows the extra properties21:23
kenvandinedobey, i did some poking at your gwibber branch21:23
kenvandine-        GnomeKeyring.ITEM_GENERIC_SECRET,21:23
kenvandine+        GnomeKeyring.ItemType.GENERIC_SECRET,21:23
kenvandinefixes the first problem with the keyring code21:24
DBOdesrt, kk21:24
kenvandinebut then exposes a gir problem with the keyring21:24
kenvandine*** TypeError: Expected GLib.Array, but got StructMeta21:24
kenvandinelooks like it doesn't know about the GnomeKeyringResult type21:24
seb128chrisccoulson, you tweater addict :p21:29
BigWhalethe whole channel is cheering for jono! go, jono, go! :)21:42
jonohaha BigWhale :-)21:43
kenvandinego, jono, go!21:44
chrisccoulsonwhat have i missed?21:44
kenvandinechrisccoulson, didn't you hear? jono is jono!  isn't that enough :)21:45
jonoyou are all crazy :-)21:45
BigWhalenothing, just jono vs IRC ... for now he's winning.21:45
BigWhalejono,  I take that as a compliment :>21:46
kenvandinejono, better than being sane21:46
jonokenvandine, sing it, brother21:46
seb128is that yet another of those drinking game?21:46
seb128dunno how the community team manage to always win those :p21:46
BigWhalewe're the ones who put IN into the sane!21:47
BigWhalenow I have to go.. my wife wants to watch Firefly before sleep ...21:47
BigWhalelater :)21:48
chrisccoulsondang, this firefox crash is weird21:48
chrisccoulsonargv is NULL!21:48
chrisccoulsonwell, according to gdb ;)21:48
BigWhalechrisccoulson, poor, poor stack ... don't be so mean to it!21:49
seb128chrisccoulson, it's a doko bog!21:50
chrisccoulsonseb128, yeah, when i step through the first few instructions, the stack arguments for the next function are all null too21:51
chrisccoulsondespite being ok in the caller21:51
chrisccoulsonthe linker has totally f**ked something up here21:51
chrisccoulsonit's time for coffee21:51
seb128chrisccoulson, no no no21:51
chrisccoulsoni ran out of that21:51
chrisccoulsonit's time for beer!21:51
seb128chrisccoulson, it's time for beer or sleep21:51
seb128I knew it :p21:52
seb128chrisccoulson, maybe that will help you to sleep before middle of the night ;-)21:52
seb128replace the coffee by some beer21:52
chrisccoulsonheh :)21:54
chrisccoulsonright, time to move downstairs, which means that my session will freeze and i have to reboot21:54
seb128which is launchpad such a piece of crap? it keeps timeouting, you can't use it21:57
seb128chrisccoulson_, is your laptop freezing on undock or what?21:57
chrisccoulson_seb128, i get a blank screen when i undock or even turn off the external display in the monitor settings21:58
chrisccoulson_i'm not sure why yet21:58
seb128chrisccoulson_, when did that start?21:58
chrisccoulson_i can switch to a VT, but killing the usual suspects doesn't fix it21:58
chrisccoulson_and if i switch back to X from the VT, it basically bricks itself (i can't switch back again)21:58
seb128chrisccoulson_, weird, no luck with restarting compiz?21:58
chrisccoulson_no, i tried that :(21:58
chrisccoulson_it started before the X upgrade21:58
seb128seems rather a driver or kernel bug21:58
chrisccoulson_that's what i'm thinkin21:59
seb128did you try booting a previous kernel?21:59
chrisccoulson_it predates X or compiz changes21:59
chrisccoulson_i guess i should try that :)21:59
seb128I don't get the issue there but I didn't upgrade my kernel since the rally21:59
seb128everything else is uptodate though21:59
seb128I tend to not upgrade kernels when I'm happy with the current one :p21:59
brycehchrisccoulson_, file a bug (ubuntu-bug xorg) and I'll walk you through the procedures22:16
dobeykenvandine: cool. i should be able to look at it more tomorrow22:17
kenvandinedobey, awesome22:17
=== kklimonda_ is now known as kklimonda
mhr3since i updated, every time i'm going to start scrolling using my touchpad's edge, it jumps like 2 pages up22:38
mhr3anyone seen that?22:38
brycehmhr3, is that with -synaptics?  The only synaptics bugs verified against Precise are https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics&field.tag=precise22:58
brycehwhoops, should be https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics?field.tag=precise22:58
brycehnone match what you describe22:59
mhr3bryceh, i'm wondering if it may be caused by the xfixes changes, cause i'm using RAOF's ppa22:59
RAOFmhr3: That's unlikely; people have reported that against pre-fixes 6.0 X servers (Chris Coulson, for example).  I'm not sure if they've filed bugs yet, though.23:01
RAOFchrisccoulson_: Have you filed your touchpad bug? :)23:01
chrisccoulson_RAOF, oops, just doing that now :)23:02
brycehmhr3, of course you could isolate it by ppa-purging that ppa and then reproducing it23:02
mhr3bryceh, yeah, i'll try that (hoping that unity won't break)23:03
RAOFUnity won't break; almost all of those changes are in the Precise xserver.23:05
RAOFIt couldn't land in Unity until it was available in Precise.23:05
=== dduffey is now known as dduffey_afk
chrisccoulson_RAOF, bug 92578523:07
ubot2`Launchpad bug 925785 in xorg "Starting to scroll is erratic" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/92578523:07
RAOFmhr3: ^^^ That's probably your winner :)23:08
RAOFWhy is the Debian BTS such a horrible pile of anti-usability? :(23:09
mhr3RAOF, oh yea, that's it23:10
RiddellRAOF: it's from the time when people thought e-mail was a good application interface, and nobody has had to guts to change it23:18
RAOFI don't suppose we could offer to host it on Launchpad?  Including the VCS, so alioth going down doesn't annoy me quite so much? :)23:18
RAOFchrisccoulson_: Oh, wow.  Plugging in an external mouse makes that scrolling thing happen a whole lot!23:19
chrisccoulson_RAOF, ah, yes, i do have a mouse connected normally23:20
chrisccoulson_i wonder why i don't notice it as much with my mouse?23:21
RAOFAha!  It seems I can reproduce by moving the external mouse, then scrolling.23:21
chrisccoulson_i guess maybe i just don't scroll as much, as i use it when i'm docked on a larger screen23:21
RAOFThe first scroll after moving my external mouse has strange behaviour.23:21
=== m_conley is now known as m_conley_away
RAOFHuh.  Launchpad times out when trying to assign someone to a bug?23:22
brycehRAOF, no not always23:27
brycehRAOF, there seems to be an oops if you change multiple things at the same time (e.g. package + assignee + etc.)23:28
RAOFHuh.  Actually, I can't seem to change *anything* about bug #925785.  Chase will have to wait until launchpad's fixed before I can assign it to him :)23:32
ubot2`Launchpad bug 925785 in xorg "Starting to scroll is erratic" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/92578523:33
BigWhalekenvandine, I'm halfway there ...23:47
SarvattRAOF: worked for me, odd23:48
brycehthis seems to be the week for bug tracker flakiness23:56
brycehRAOF, you able to repro lp #924747?  had a couple reports of that23:57
ubot2`Launchpad bug 924747 in xserver-xorg-input-synaptics ""Pointer keeps on moving while the finger rests on touchpad"" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/92474723:57
brycehthat one may be upstream rather than us, since there's a debian bug too23:58
RAOFbryceh: No, sorry.  I've looked at that but I can't reproduce it.23:58
RAOFI suspect crappy touchpads!23:58
bryceh"The touchpad feels feels totally imprecise."23:59
brycehhar har23:59

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!