/srv/irclogs.ubuntu.com/2012/02/06/#ubuntu-desktop.txt

=== Troletariat is now known as Omega
pittiGood morning05:00
RAOFWoah!  It's pitti!05:01
RAOFGood morning.05:01
pittihey RAOF, how are you?05:01
RAOFPretty good.05:02
RAOFHad quite an energetic boxing session this morning, fixed a couple of the bugs blocking the next gnome-do release on Sunday.05:05
jbichapitti: what do you think of http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/libcanberra/ubuntu/revision/14105:06
jbichait seems to fix https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=667905 for me05:06
ubot2`Gnome bug 667905 in general "fails to build: libcanberra undefined references" [Critical,Unconfirmed]05:06
BigWhaleGood Morning. :>05:06
jbichagood morning05:07
pittijbicha: hmm, ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcanberra.so.0 doesn't show libcanberra anywhere?05:08
pittijbicha: err, "show libX11"05:09
jbichapitti: I don't really understand library linking much, so I need someone to help fix whatever's not working :)05:09
pittijbicha: ah, looked at the wrong library05:10
pitti$ ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcanberra-gtk3.so.0.1.8|grep X1105:10
pittilibX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0x00007fc464d5a000)05:10
pittijbicha: so, if it doesn't happen in jhbuild, I wonder whether we have a patch or otherwise misbuild of canberra-GTK305:10
pittithe GTK2 version seems to have reasonable dependencies05:11
pitti-gtk3 depends on a ton of X stuff05:11
pittihm, I guess it's not -gtk2, it's the base library05:11
pittijbicha: but looks fine to me for now05:12
jbichayou're saying you don't think the patch is necessary at first glance?05:13
jbichaor the opposite05:13
desrtgood morning, everyone05:19
desrtRAOF: did you see me complaining about erratic scrolling behaviour?05:20
RAOFdesrt: Yes, I did.05:20
desrtam i insane or are other people reporting this as well?05:20
RAOFOther people are reporting this as well.05:20
desrtoh.  good.05:20
RAOFDo you have an external mouse plugged in, by any chance?05:20
desrtyes05:21
RAOFYeah, I'm pretty sure that triggers it.05:21
desrti have a thinkpad with a trackpoint and a (disabled) touchpad05:21
desrtit's on a dock05:21
desrtand i have a usb mouse plugged into the dock05:21
RAOF(Or rather, the first scroll you try after moving the external mouse will be weird)05:21
RAOFSo, the buglink has fallen off the end of my scrollback, but there's a bug assigned to Chase.05:22
desrtcould it be something to do with the scrolling emulation for the trackpoint?05:22
desrtah.  utouch issue, you think?05:22
RAOFNo; something to do with the new input stack.05:22
desrtright.  that was my guess.05:22
desrtokay.  glad it's in the known-issue pile :)05:22
RAOFBut since he's one of three people in the world who has a good idea about the X input stack… ☺05:22
desrtlet me know if you need some testing or anything05:22
RAOFhttps://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/925785 is your winning bug.05:23
ubot2`Launchpad bug 925785 in xorg-server "Starting to scroll is erratic with edge scrolling on touchpad or mouse scrollwheels" [Medium,Confirmed]05:23
desrtRAOF: something else interesting: horizontal scroll seems to be consistently backwards05:24
RAOFFun!  That's not the case for me :)05:25
RAOFAnd, in return: What the hell is the GTK change which prompted http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-control-center/commit/?id=7f5733b454e26c882d4e707b57cd03b104f57dd2 ?  This also seems to apply to GTK2, and it broke applications (specifically,  *my* application, GNOME Do).  Why is GTK2 still receiving application-breaking changes?!05:25
desrtso xev shows scroll-left as button 7 and scroll-right as button 605:25
RAOFI'd have thought that the button which generates left-scroll would be 6 and right-scroll be 7.05:26
RAOFAlso, buttons for scroll events is a terrible hack that must be expunged :)05:26
desrtthat's the same sort of logic that would cause you to expect that scrolling left scrolls left :)05:26
desrtso the story is that <Primary> was introduced because of macs05:27
desrt<Primary>q is the same as <Control>q05:27
desrtexcept on macs where it's <Command>q05:27
RAOFOk.05:28
* desrt wonders why the hell bastien is writing such ridiculous code05:28
RAOFExcept for the bit where binding <Primary><Alt>space fails.05:28
RAOFAnd binding <Control><Alt>space works.05:28
desrtfascinating.05:28
desrthow did <Primary> creep into your world?05:29
RAOFGNOME Do's keybindings.05:29
tjaaltondesrt: bug 92113905:29
ubot2`Launchpad bug 921139 in xorg-server "mouse scroll left<->right inverted since 1.11" [Medium,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/92113905:29
desrtRAOF: yes... but did someone set a <Primary> keybinding?05:29
desrtis that what gtk returns to you know for the "type what you want the new keybinding to be..." code?05:30
RAOFdesrt: No.  Somebody tried to set <Ctrl><Alt>space, the KeybindingCellRenderer showed <Primary><Alt>space, and pressing <ctrl><alt>space didn't work.05:30
desrtRAOF: this sounds like a bug05:30
RAOFIt does, yes.05:30
RAOFIt is the same bug Bastien was working around there :)05:31
RAOF(Or, at least, it's highly likely to be the same bug)05:31
desrtRAOF: i'm still confused by exactly what the cause is05:31
RAOFAlso, GTK also seems to be setting both the Hyper and Super mask for <Win key>space.05:31
pittiGunnarHj: good morning06:09
GunnarHjpitti: Moring!06:09
GunnarHjMorning06:10
pittiGunnarHj: would you mind if we drop the custom branch for language-selector, and start using ubuntu:language-selector from now on?06:10
pittiGunnarHj: I think we don't have any pending merge proposals from you any more, do we?06:11
GunnarHjpitti: Whatever you decide is fine to me. Yes, I resubmitted the latest l-s MP and added a couple of items...06:12
pittiGunnarHj: https://code.launchpad.net/~jincreator/language-selector/korean_settings/+merge/72897 is the only one outstanding06:12
pittiGunnarHj: but it seems to me that this was covered by your recent one?06:13
* pitti checks what's outstanding there06:13
GunnarHjpitti: Aha, didn't know you already merged it. :)06:14
GunnarHjpitti: In that case I have nothing more. Probably the latest one covers jincreator's MP, but I haven't studied it in detail.06:15
pittiGunnarHj: hm, where did you take your fontconfig changes from?06:16
pittiGunnarHj: where your and jincreator's versions differ, I guess I should take jincreator's?06:17
GunnarHjpitti: From the "Modified configuration files ..." attachment to bug 79247106:17
ubot2`Launchpad bug 792471 in fontconfig "Change default Korean font to ttf-nanum" [Undecided,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/79247106:17
pittiGunnarHj: ah, I see; anyway, there aren't too many differences anyway06:18
GunnarHjpitti: Just saw your comment on that bug. Do you think that the fontconfig MP is redundant?06:20
pittiI don't know really06:21
pittibut I thought the point of fontconfig.d/ was that fonts packages drop their own stuff there06:21
pittiso that fontconfig itself doesn't need all the font specific knowledge06:21
pittiit's currently quite messy06:21
pittithere's fontconfig, fontconfig-config, the various config.d/ from fonts-*, and to make it worse, the hacks from language-selector06:22
pittithe latter need to be dropped at some point, they are a really evil hack06:22
pittibut as nobody in the ubuntu dev team really understands fontconfig, there's little chance of getting some cleanup there06:22
GunnarHjpitti: Well, I have no own knowledge in this area to contribute with. :(  Basically I felt that since the Koreans switch to a new default set of fonts, it's important to please them so soon before the LTS release. If there is a smarter way to organize it, that should probably better been dealt with after the release.06:24
pittiyes06:24
pittianyway, changing existing config files at that point is ok06:24
pittiI just want to avoid introducing new ones at that point06:24
GunnarHjpitti: Ok.06:24
pittiok, 0.65 uploaded, branch retired06:26
pittiGunnarHj: btw, would you be interested in looking into the im-switch -> im-config change?06:27
GunnarHjpitti: Ok, I can take a look at it.06:28
pittiGunnarHj: it might just be a dependency change, if it's really a drop-in replacement06:29
pittiif it's not, perhaps im-config already does proper config migration06:30
pittiif it uses different config files, and doesn't migrate, we should probably leave it alone at that point06:30
GunnarHjpitti: I know it's a little more than that. They use different directories, for instance.06:30
pittibut we owe Osamu a reply at least, I think06:30
pittiGunnarHj: I really appreciate this, thanks for looking into it06:30
GunnarHjpitti: No problem. But it may take a couple of days before I'm able to get back to you about it.06:31
didrocksgood morning06:39
pittibonjour didrocks06:43
didrockshey pitti, how was your week-end?06:43
pittididrocks: quite nice, thanks! met a lot of friends and family in Dresden again06:43
didrocksgeat, not too tired by the hours of train required? :)06:44
pittia bit06:44
pittididrocks: how was your's?06:44
didrockspitti: was fine. Still waiting to get back our broken heater to the shop, so we drink a lot of tea when being in the main room :) Nothing too exciting, we had a quite week-end with this cold week-end06:47
pittiit's ice cold here, too :/06:48
pitti-17 this morning, brrr06:48
didrocksabout the same here, especially with this huge wind06:48
=== warp11 is now known as warp10
=== agateau_ is now known as agateau
seb128hey08:35
pittibonjour seb12808:36
seb128hey pitti, how are you?08:36
pittiquite fine, thanks! had a nice weekend in Dresden again08:38
pittihow are you?08:38
didrockssalut seb128, levé tôt par rapport à d'habitude? :)08:39
seb128pitti, I'm great thanks, had a nice relaxing freezing w.e ;-)08:40
chrisccoulsonhey seb128 pitti didrocks08:40
seb128lut didrocks, ouais, j'avais assez dormis ;-)08:40
didrockshey chrisccoulson08:40
chrisccoulsonhow are you?08:40
seb128hey chrisccoulson, how are you?08:40
seb128good!08:40
chrisccoulsonseb128, yeah, good thanks. how are you?08:40
pittihey chrisccoulson, good morning08:46
chrisccoulsonhi pitti, did you have a good weekend?08:47
pittichrisccoulson: yes, I did; we went to Dresden again, and met family and friends08:47
chrisccoulsonexcellent :)08:48
chrisccoulsonhave you got lots of snow atm?08:48
pittinot that much, mostly cold08:48
pittichrisccoulson: ah, interesting comment about using the Firefox 10 ESR version in precise08:55
pittichrisccoulson: we'll ship 11 (and keep updating) because more users want the latest and greatest?08:56
SweetsharkGoood MoooOOOooorning Desktoppers!09:02
pittihey Sweetshark, welcome back!09:03
pittiSweetshark: how was your vacation?09:03
pittiyou sound refreshed and full of beans!09:03
* Sweetshark finds out that returning from a two week vacation is a bit like deep snow skiiing (digging through a >3000 inbox) ...09:04
didrocksgood morning Sweetshark :)09:06
Sweetsharkpitti: Yes, vacation was great. Diverting on the return to make an intermediate stop at bruxelles for FOSDEM was a good idea too (and a great travel experience: digging out the car from ~50cm of snow and ice, driving to albertville with it, taking the train to lyon, taking the tram to the airport, waiting at the airport in an unheated terminal for boarding at -10 degree celsius which easyjet considered perfectly normal, arriving in bruxelle09:10
Sweetsharkdidrocks, seb128: and I will never disrespect the french train system again. 26 Euros for a ride from Albertville to Lyon is great, esp. if the train is 30 minutes late at the starting point and still arrives on time.09:12
pittihah, sounds like fun09:13
pittiseems we were more lucky over the weekends09:13
pittithey had a broken track due to the cold, but only 10 mins delay during the trip, but they caught up pretty well again09:14
didrocksSweetshark: waow you were quite lucky to arrive on time, as Albertville <-> Lyon is not that fast :)09:14
chrisccoulsonpitti, yeah, i'm going to blog about it today ;)09:15
Sweetsharkand so many things happened over the vacation: HUD announcement (yay!), The document foundation finally founded in Berlin (Yeah!), FOSDEM being absolutely amazing (LibreOffice DevRoom bursting from all the talks packed in it).09:17
seb128Sweetshark, would be better if they were on time at the start point still ;-)09:18
pittiSweetshark: so nice to get back from vac then :)09:18
Sweetsharkseb128: it was not more off time than it might happen in germany, but here sucha ticket would be triple the price ...09:19
seb128hehe09:19
didrocksthat's because Lyon rocks :) (ok, you just saw the train station I guess :))09:22
Sweetsharkdidrocks: indeed. i spend no more than 5 minutes on ground in lyon between arriving with the ter train and leaving with the tram to the airport having no knowledge at all how one gets to the airport (or where it is) in lyon at all.09:25
didrocksSweetshark: the tram is nice, isn't it? getting to the airport in less than 30 minutes…09:26
didrocks(the train station/tram station is at less than 20 minutes by feet from my home)09:26
Sweetsharkdidrocks: yes, the tram is nice! I just wondered about the relative pricing (half the price of getting from Albertville to Lyon seemed odd).09:38
didrocksSweetshark: yeah, it's weird. It was a one hour trip by bus before and the price of the bug for 13 €, when they launched this new service last year, they just aligned…09:39
Sweetsharkdidrocks: "price of the bug for 13 €"? ok, I take 1000 for that price. By when will you have all the open bugs for LO fixed? ;D09:41
didrockss/bug/bus :p09:42
Sweetsharkhehe09:42
didrocksyeah, we will become rich! :)09:42
* Sweetshark would seriously consider to shell out 13K € if somebody fixes all current open LO issues in launchpad for that with no exceptions.09:44
Sweetshark(personal money that is)09:44
agateaumorning! anyone from the SRU team, can you look at SRU bug #877358 ?09:51
ubot2`Launchpad bug 877358 in qt-at-spi "QtAccessibility causes crashes in several applications" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/87735809:51
agateau(rah... never press Enter while editing a chat line)09:51
agateauwell that should be readable enough I hope09:52
pittiagateau: I didn't accept it yet because there is already an at-spi2-core in -proposed which needs testing first09:53
agateaupitti: oh ok09:54
pittiagateau: oh, I see, it's meant to replace this?09:54
pittihttp://launchpadlibrarian.net/91134355/at-spi2-core_2.2.2-0ubuntu1.2_source.changes looks rightly done, anyway (using -v09:54
pittiagateau: ok, debdifff looks fine, accepting09:55
agateaupitti: great, thanks09:55
=== vuntz_ is now known as vuntz
* didrocks uploaded with -v, isn't it?09:58
didrockspitti: ^09:58
pittiyes09:58
didrocksok :)09:59
Sweetsharkseb128: did you investigate the l10n in LO broken on a release build but not in a PPA issue further?10:29
seb128Sweetshark, not really lo is complex enough that I figured it wouldn't get something useful in an hour10:30
Sweetsharkpitti: requesting a "640K is _NOT_ enough for everyone"-exception for PPA builders for libreoffice. I tried hard to get the LO 3.5.0rc1 build on the PPA for the second bug hunting session, but it unfortunately failed. Not wanting to spoil my vacation, I did not check the build log at 3am then, only to find out that it failed with:10:33
SweetsharkIO error: write error during copy : No space left on device10:33
pittiurgh10:36
pittiSweetshark: I'm afraid you need to coordinate that with infinity; we might have PPA buildss with more space10:36
chrisccoulsonhuh, i just wrote a patch for the icedtea plugin, and it compiled first time10:59
chrisccoulsoni must have done something wrong10:59
=== rickspencer3_ is now known as rickspencer3
pitti*chuckle*11:02
ryechrisccoulson, did it run?11:10
chrisccoulsonrye, yes. and it fixed the crash i'm trying to fix. but it exposed another one that i also need to fix :)11:10
didrockschrisccoulson: you should have had a "return 0" at the begining, you could then have said "yeah, I ran it and it even didn't crash!" :)11:11
chrisccoulsonheh11:11
chrisccoulsonseb128, we can reapply the light-themes changes btw. i fixed thunderbird by friday evening11:23
seb128chrisccoulson, thanks11:23
RAOFWooo!  Asynchronous packagekit integration for the colour capplet.11:26
rodrigo_pitti, I was travellking last week, so didn't get a chance to ping you, so just so you know: about to finish the wip/install-langs branch11:26
rodrigo_pitti, will ping you as soon as it's ready11:27
pittihey rodrigo_11:28
pittirodrigo_: ah, thanks11:28
pittirodrigo_: please tell me if the aptdaemon-pkcompat stuff doesn't work for you11:28
rodrigo_pitti, will do11:28
=== seiflotfy is now known as seifstrup
pittichrisccoulson: oh, are you about to upload icedtea?11:43
pittichrisccoulson: http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/testing/precise_probs.html looks like a trivial problem to fix11:43
chrisccoulsonpitti, no, i'm trying to fix the number 7 top crasher in firefox 10 :)11:43
pittiok11:44
chrisccoulsonoh, it's actually number 5 today :(11:46
chrisccoulsonright, this had better fix it this time :)11:50
ryechrisccoulson, is it something related to single-threaded thing that once was multi-threaded in icedtea?11:51
chrisccoulsonrye, http://blog.mozilla.com/luke/2012/01/24/jsruntime-is-now-officially-single-threaded/11:51
chrisccoulsonsomeone from mozilla did open a bug in the icedtea bug tracker in november, but it's had zero responses so far11:52
chrisccoulsonand the crash volume is pretty much block-worthy now ;)11:52
chrisccoulsonyay, no crashes \o/11:53
chrisccoulsonwell, for the test case that i have here, anyway11:53
chrisccoulsoni guess i should try a few more sites11:53
chrisccoulsonoh, that sucks. bamfdaemon just crashed on me12:04
chrisccoulsonnow my launcher looks like it's pretty much hosed until i restart my session12:05
dpmchrisccoulson, I'm not sure it's the proper way, but resetting unity seems to fix it for me12:08
didrocksdpm: shouldn't be related at all12:09
didrocksdpm: or jus try to restart unity12:09
didrocksjust*12:09
dpmdidrocks, I didn't know, I just blindly restarted unity when bamfdaemon crashed and I started getting duplicated launchers all over the place :)12:10
chrisccoulsonthat's why i logged out :)12:11
chrisccoulsonsometimes it's the easiest way12:11
chrisccoulsontmux to the rescue!12:11
dpmdidrocks, btw, the unity upload last Friday did fix my issue with indicator menus appearing in grey instead of black. The only remaining issue is that the sound indicator volume slider's background is grey. Not sure if there is an existing bug for it, but if it's not known, I'll be happy to file it12:11
didrocksdpm: I read something about it, not sure if there is a bug or not opened on it, you should look at light-themes and ping Cimi12:12
dpmok12:12
tkamppeterpitti, hi12:23
ronocmvo, hey12:33
ronocjust getting around the i-session package kit port now12:33
ronocmvo, just wondering, I don't see it on the bus, starting update-manager and did an upgrade12:34
ronocbut couldn't see org.freedesktop.packagekit on d-feet12:34
ronocsystem bus i would imagine ?12:34
mvoronoc: yeah, it should be on the system bus but iirc its auto activated12:37
ronocmvo, oh okay cool, will try now12:37
mvook12:38
ryedpm, btw, reÑ unity background ' the keyboard layout display has a dark background instead of light one used earlier ' is this in the same category_12:40
ryesymbols key - "'" -> "-", "_" -> "?"12:42
dpmrye, the keyboard layout display looks the same as it's ever been to me12:46
mdeslaurseb128: mind if I kill the numlock warning in gtk+3.0 and gss with fire?12:50
seb128mdeslaur, cf my comment on the bug12:50
seb128mdeslaur, hey btw ;-)12:50
=== MacSlow is now known as MacSlow|lunch
chrisccoulsonhah, "A new mailing list has been created for Ayatana Discussion (unity-design). If you would like to subscribe to the list,...."12:51
seb128mdeslaur, one of the upstream bug says "should be for netbooks only", they have keys with multiple usages that makes the warning useful for those?12:51
chrisccoulsonerrrrrrm12:51
chrisccoulsoni think not :)12:51
seb128chrisccoulson, ;-)12:51
mdeslaurseb128: hi! good weekend?12:51
seb128mdeslaur, excellent! you?12:51
mdeslaurseb128: the problem is a lot of hardware lies about the state of the numlock key, it's not possible to get this right without quirking all the specific hardware12:52
seb128mdeslaur, feel free to go for it if you add your patch to the upstream bugs with a comment stating why you think it's the right thing to do ;-)12:53
seb128mdeslaur, there might be a new gtk today so maybe just commit to the vcs for gtk and don't upload12:53
mdeslaurseb128: ok, thanks12:53
seb128no need to keep the buildds busy with a second undeed build12:53
seb128mdeslaur, yw, thanks for working on those issues!12:53
seb128desktop help is greatly appreciated ;-)12:54
mdeslaurseb128: well, don't get too used to it, I only fix bugs when they annoy the crap out of me :)12:55
chrisccoulsonmdeslaur, i bet i can make https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=716036 annoy the crap out of you12:56
ubot2`Mozilla bug 716036 in Layout "css z-ordering renders invisible text on google search page" [Normal,Unconfirmed: ]12:56
mdeslaurchrisccoulson: I use w3m, nice try though12:57
chrisccoulsonlol12:58
ryedpm, http://ubuntuone.com/3XnG7IgXW6umEwCZnj7V0813:04
dpmrye, oh that one, yes, that indeed doesn't look right13:05
dpmit displays the same for me too13:05
ryeby the way - in current precise/unity sometimes i get the same window appearing as two in the alt-tab switcher - e.g. firefox, ubuntuone control panel - http://ubuntuone.com/6J4ZyQmXpH6Axx8GXSNniz - is it known?13:15
seb128rye, does it has a duplicate > on the launcher as well?13:18
ryeseb128, yes13:19
seb128rye, I've noticed that too, dunno if there is a bug report, you should open a bug with ubuntu-bug unity13:19
jibelrye, bug 92638513:20
ubot2`Launchpad bug 926385 in unity "thunderbird appears twice in windows switcher" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/92638513:20
ryejibel, how about we rename it to "applications appear twice in windows switcher" ?13:21
ryejibel, and i will add the picture13:21
ryeheh13:21
ryewhat's interesting is that both of the windows are selected when alt-tabing, as if the system knows that's one object13:22
jibelrye, sure, don't hesitate to rename it to better describe the problem.13:22
seb128jibel, it's not specific to tb and not specific to the switcher ;-)13:22
seb128the title is a bit misleading13:22
seb128i.e the launcher also has a duplicate > when that happens13:23
chrisccoulsonwell, i got the "launcher listed twice" issue right after bamfdaemon crashed :)13:31
chrisccoulsonmight be a clue ;)13:31
seb128chrisccoulson, did you report the segfault issue?13:33
chrisccoulsonseb128, not yet. i need to update my system before i recreate it13:33
seb128ok13:33
jibelseb128, bug 92620813:33
ubot2`Launchpad bug 926208 in bamf "bamfdaemon crashed with SIGABRT in g_assertion_message()" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/92620813:34
seb128jibel, thanks13:34
seb128we need to get Trevinho or or DBO to look at it ;-)13:34
didrockspgraner: hey, we have a potential fix for your unity crash. It can trigger some regression on session close though (compiz segfaulting when exiting), but it should be better than what you had. Can you confirm it fixes it for you? It's in the unity-team ppa: https://launchpad.net/~unity-team/+archive/ppa13:38
jibelseb128, to reproduce the crash, open g-c-c and select different config applets until it crashes.13:40
jibelI'll update the report13:40
seb128jibel, thanks13:40
pgranerdidrocks, I'll check here in a bit otp right now13:43
didrockspgraner: thanks, keep me i touch :)13:43
didrocksin*13:43
pgranerdidrocks, ack13:44
seb128mdeslaur, btw I'm not sure I like your nautilus change, having selinux support built in makes easier to use selinux for those who want that, ideally we shouldn't have to turn it off to hide the properties section13:48
seb128mdeslaur, is there a way to check if selinux is active?13:49
mdeslaurseb128: if you get one of our three selinux users to actually make selinux work properly in Precise, I'll turn it back on13:49
seb128lol13:50
mdeslaurseb128: our nautilus doesn't even have the big selinux patch that RH carries to make the information useful13:50
seb128mdeslaur, ok, fair enough ;-)13:50
mdeslaurseb128: if you set an icon for your account, are you able to get g-c-c to remove it?13:59
mdeslaurseb128: just want to confirm before filing a bug13:59
seb128mdeslaur, thanks for screwing my config :p14:00
mdeslaurseb128: lol, I guess that's a "no"? :)14:00
seb128mdeslaur, indeed :p14:01
seb128mdeslaur, https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=66517314:02
ubot2`Gnome bug 665173 in User Accounts "Can't reset user avatar (image)" [Normal,Resolved: notgnome]14:02
seb128mdeslaur, seems an accountsservice thing and fixed upstream, can you open a bug on launchpad, I will look at backporting the fix later14:02
mdeslaurseb128: sure, thanks14:02
seb128mdeslaur, thanks for pointing it ;-)14:03
mdeslaurseb128: you'd point it out too if you were stuck with a butterfly on your login screen :)14:04
seb128mdeslaur, I think I am, thanks to you :p14:04
mdeslaurhehe14:04
mdeslaurseb128: wow, you're fast!14:07
seb128mdeslaur, lol14:08
seb128I just got lucky, I opened the bug list as a todolist item and I noticed you just filed the bug ;-)14:08
mdeslaurhehe14:09
=== MacSlow|lunch is now known as MacSlow
=== jdstrand_ is now known as jdstrand
didrocksin*14:20
didrocksoupss ENOTGOODTERMINAL14:20
=== dduffey_afk is now known as dduffey
Trevinhoseb128: about this bug14:26
Trevinhohttps://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bamf/+bug/92620814:26
ubot2`Launchpad bug 926208 in bamf "bamfdaemon crashed with SIGABRT in g_assertion_message()" [High,Confirmed]14:26
TrevinhoI can't reproduce it on trunk14:26
seb128Trevinho, yes?14:27
Trevinhofor sure there are visual issues... :/14:27
seb128Trevinho, is trunk much different from precise?14:27
Trevinhomhmhm... I guess it is14:27
Trevinhoneed to checkl14:27
seb128Trevinho, is there any tarball rolling planned? did that happen for 5.2?14:27
Trevinhoseb128: I'm not sure I understood what you mean :)14:29
seb128Trevinho, was there a bamf release for unity 5.2?14:29
seb128seems so14:29
seb1280.2.108 release from the 0.2 series released 2012-02-0314:29
seb128Trevinho, so trunk changed a lot since friday or is 0.2 different from trunk? I'm trying to figure why we don't get those bug fixes from trunk in precise ;-)14:30
Trevinhomh, no it doesn't change14:30
seb128Trevinho, https://code.launchpad.net/~unity-team/bamf/trunk14:31
TrevinhoI guess they're matching so...14:31
seb128Trevinho, seems to indicate that precise is trunk14:31
seb128so that bug should still be in trunk ...14:31
seb128Trevinho, do you build with different optimizations, like -O0?14:31
seb128rather than -O214:32
seb128Trevinho, one thing which happens when you don't use -O2 is that variables get null initialized, so it can hide bugs due to improper init14:32
Trevinhoseb128: I'm building it with default settings14:34
Trevinhoso... I guess O214:34
* Trevinho checking14:34
seb128Trevinho, thanks14:35
seb128weird14:35
seb128Trevinho, the stacktrace is not useful on this bug to figure the issue? what debug infos would be useful?14:35
Trevinhono, I'm using O214:35
Trevinhothat stacktrace is not useful14:35
TrevinhoI don't get any bamf code pointed there except the main14:36
Trevinhoso.... A full stacktrace.... If you can build it from sources and exec it from there maybe you get more infos14:36
Trevinhoseb128: damn... I really can't reproduce it... I'm switching gnome-control-center panel for about 50 times (also very quickly) and nothing happens14:39
Trevinhomaybe I should try to use a xtest script...14:39
seb128Trevinho, no sure but I seem to have it often there when I load a custom .desktop from the dash, custom being one in my .local14:40
seb128Trevinho, I will try to get extra infos14:40
Trevinhothanks seb12814:41
rodrigo_pitti, hmm, I don't see aptdaemon-pkcompat package, should I?14:43
rodrigo_pitti, is it python-aptdaemon.pkcompat ?14:44
seb128Trevinho, right, it doesn't segfault for me either :-( but I easily get the double instance (i.e > in the launcher and alt-tab buggy) with g-c-c14:49
Trevinhoyes, that's true14:51
Trevinhothat totally needs a proper fix14:51
Trevinhoeven if... did you restart unity after updating bamf?14:51
seb128Trevinho, you get it as well?14:51
seb128Trevinho, yes14:52
Trevinhoseb128: yes, but I didn't restart unity...14:53
TrevinhoAnyway that should be definitively fixed14:53
seb128Trevinho, it happens easily on fresh sessions there14:53
seb128well "fresh", normal login after boot, but could be that bamf segfault and get respawned during the session14:53
Trevinhoseb128: it could be possible... In fact I should check that with working bamf... I didn't notice that issue during the deveolpment14:54
seb128Trevinho, I will try to valgrind it a bit later14:54
Trevinhonice14:55
ricotzseb128, hello15:05
ricotzseb128, i hope it wasnt intentional to drop libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common.install?15:05
seb128ricotz, oh, crap, thanks15:06
seb128ricotz, no, I probably forgot to bzr add it15:06
ricotzok15:06
seb128and bzr-builddeb is that stupid that it didn't warn me about it15:06
seb128fixing15:06
ricotzbump glib to 2.31.14 too ;)15:06
ricotzseb128, oh one more, libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev.install the last line can be dropped15:07
seb128ricotz, configure.ac has m4_define([glib_required_version], [2.31.0])15:07
seb128ricotz, can you point to mclasen that they need to update it?15:08
ricotzah nvm, i was thinking about the gressource stuff15:09
tkamppeterpitti, hi15:09
ricotzseb128, hmm, but the deb package want 2.31.1015:10
seb128ricotz, what version is required then?15:10
ricotznot sure15:10
ricotzi would rely on the symbols generated one15:11
seb128.10 then?15:11
pittihello tkamppeter15:16
tkamppeterpitti, I only wanted to say that I am working on updating CUPS to 1.5.2.15:18
tkamppeterpitti, I hope you did not work on CUPS today.15:18
pittitkamppeter: ah, a new upstream release at last?15:19
pittitkamppeter: no, I'm not15:19
tkamppeterpitti, yes, a week ago or so I have asked Mike for releasing before our FF.15:19
pittitkamppeter: has there ever been an 1.5.1?15:20
pittitkamppeter: I checked for a new release about a week ago, and there wasn't any15:20
tkamppeterpitti, the release was issued Friday evening or Saturday, Mike accidentally up[loaded a 1.6.x snapshot under the name 1.5.1, so he has taken the correct snapshot and uploaded it as 1.5.2.15:21
pittiah, heh15:22
tkamppeterSo 1.5.2 is the collection of all 1.5.x changes from Oneiric FF to Precise FF.15:22
pittitkamppeter: nice; I hope that'll get us rid of a few patches again :)15:23
pittiI need to run out for half an hour, bbl15:23
tkamppeterpitti, 6 patches so far.15:23
didrockspgraner: any news?15:23
mdeslaurmhr3: could we get ~/.local/share/zeitgeist to be 0600 to fix LP: #926652?15:24
mhr3mdeslaur, as you commented, it's already going that15:26
mdeslaurmhr3: hrm, it doesn't seem to be working for me, I still have open permissions on precise15:26
mhr3mdeslaur, it affects just new dbs afaict15:27
mdeslaurmhr3: yeah, I was about to say that15:27
ricotzseb128, i think .10 it is then15:28
mdeslaurmhr3: I think we should fix perms on existing databases also. Is there anything else in that directory that contains private info? couldn't we make the whole directory 0600?15:28
seb128ricotz, I hope I got it right this time ;-) http://launchpadlibrarian.net/92102142/gdk-pixbuf_2.25.2-0ubuntu1_2.25.2-0ubuntu2.diff.gz15:29
dobeypitti, seb128: care to poke at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/926391 please? :)15:29
ubot2`Launchpad bug 926391 in ubuntu "[needspackaging] rhythmbox-ubuntuone" [Undecided,New]15:29
mhr3mdeslaur, yea, i suppose that makes sense15:29
mhr3RainCT, ^^ one extra commit pls :)15:29
mdeslaurmhr3: awesome, thanks! And please change perms on existing directories also so we fix everyone who's upgrading.15:30
ricotzseb128, looks good ;-)15:30
seb128ricotz, excellent, thanks for pointing the issues!15:30
RainCTmhr3: it'll run once we bump the schema version (which we're supposed to do anyway to update the ontology)15:32
RainCTmhr3: but yeah chmoding the directory too makes sense to me15:32
mhr3RainCT, in case it's the default one... we wouln't want to screw with someone who's using custom DATA_PATH15:33
RainCTmhr3: btw, I don't have LP powers for -datahub15:35
seb128jbicha, hey15:35
seb128jbicha, I've dropped our gnome-settings-daemon patch that would have created issues with the new gnome-desktop3, you can update gnome-desktop3 to precise if you want15:36
pgranerdidrocks, still otp for another hour and a half :( sorry15:39
pgranerdidrocks, I'll try it right after the call15:39
didrockspgraner: ok, thanks :)15:39
mhr3RainCT, of course you do15:39
RainCTmdeslaur: shouldn't that be s/0600/0700?15:39
didrockspgraner: if you don't have time before my eod, please just sent me an email, I'll backport it to precise15:39
pgranerdidrocks, ack will do15:39
didrocksthx :)15:40
mdeslaurRainCT: oh, yes, sorry -ENEEDCAFFEINE15:42
pittidobey: adding to my TODO list15:49
dobeypitti: thanks!15:52
rickspencer3hey all, is there a way to figure out what is in the gi.repository for python?16:15
rickspencer3specifically, I want to import gtksourceview2, but I can't easily see what it is called in the repository16:16
* didrocks uses ipython + completion16:16
kenvandinerickspencer3,  or look at /usr/share/gir-1.016:16
rickspencer3didrocks it wasn't showing up in completion :/16:17
kenvandinethere is GtkSource which is for gtk316:17
kenvandinei don't think we have it for gk216:17
kenvandinegtk216:18
pittirickspencer3: you need to install gir1.2-gtksource-3.0, then you can look in /usr/lib/girepository-1.0/16:18
pitti/usr/share/gir-1.0/ is useful as well, but requires the library's -dev package16:18
rickspencer3pj dang16:18
pittiwell, it's actually much more useful, as the .gir files are a great documentation16:18
pittirickspencer3: sorry, no, GTK2 works rather poorly with GI16:19
rickspencer3pitti, can you tell me more?16:19
pittirickspencer3: sure, about what?16:19
rickspencer3life, the universe, everything16:19
rickspencer3or, about .gir files being documentation ;)16:19
pitti42!16:20
pittirickspencer3: well, I presume you'd just slap me if I call that documentation16:20
pittirickspencer3: but it's XML, so at least it's halfway readable16:20
rickspencer3pitti, basically, anything is better than what I have now16:20
pittirickspencer3: there's some work on turning that into nicely formatted HTML, but it's going slowly16:20
* rickspencer3 considers making a .gir file browser16:20
kenvandinethe gir file is probably the best docs we have16:20
kenvandinerickspencer3, google it, someone already did :)16:21
pittirickspencer3: it documents every class, method, argument, data type, etc., as this is the input format of pygobject16:21
kenvandinei haven't tried it, but i saw a blog post recently16:21
rickspencer3*sigh*16:21
rickspencer3all the fun has drained out of all my gtk programming16:22
rickspencer3** WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GDriveStartFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'16:22
rickspencer3/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:40: Warning: specified class size for type `PyGtkGenericCellRenderer' is smaller than the parent type's `GtkCellRenderer' class size16:22
rickspencer3  from gtk import _gtk16:22
rickspencer3/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:40: Warning: g_type_get_qdata: assertion `node != NULL' failed16:22
rickspencer3  from gtk import _gtk16:22
rickspencer3Segmentation fault (core dumped)16:22
pittidobey: why COPYING? seems the whole source is LGPL?16:22
rickspencer3don't debug for me, just saying ...16:22
rickspencer3boooo16:22
pittirickspencer3: are you perhaps trying to mix gi.repository.* and "import gtk"?16:23
kenvandinerickspencer3,  https://sourceforge.net/projects/girlook/16:23
kenvandinebut i haven't tried it16:23
rickspencer3pitti, yes, I am sure I am using some gtk code somewhere16:23
rickspencer3my point was just ...16:23
rickspencer3this is not fun16:23
rickspencer3I am considering abandoning all of my Gtk code16:23
rickspencer3just shooting each of those apps in the head, and starting over16:24
pittiI'm afraid you can just use one or the other16:24
pittirickspencer3: I can tell you how to easily find stuff that pulls in the static bindings16:24
pittiif that helps16:24
rickspencer3pitti, do tell16:25
pittirickspencer3: what I do is16:25
pittisudo vi /usr/share/pyshared/gi/_gobject/constants.py16:25
pittiand at the top, add16:25
pittiraise ImportError("static bindings, no no no!")16:25
om26ermvo, hey!16:26
pittithen the back trace tells you exactly which module pulls it in16:26
rickspencer3hmmm16:26
pittirickspencer3: ^ sometimes that's not very obvious, as there might be deeply transitive imports16:26
om26ermvo, when I try to enable a ppa in software properties I get this bug 854818 in precise.. I am fully updated16:27
ubot2`Launchpad bug 854818 in software-properties "software-properties-gtk crashed with AttributeError in toggle_source_use(): 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'disabled'" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/85481816:27
jbichaseb128: thanks16:27
pittidobey: when I make some changes to the source (I'd like to add a bug ref to the changelog, and some debian/copyright formalities), will that mess up a bzr of your's?16:28
pittidobey: if you have a bzr, I'm happy to upload it as it is16:29
jbichapitti: hi again, did you have an opinion on the canberra thing from this morning?16:30
pittijbicha: yes, I answered16:30
pittijbicha: it seems fine to me16:30
jbichamy changes are fine?16:30
pittijbicha: I got confused at first wrt. libcanberra vs. libcanberra-gtk316:30
pittijbicha: but it surely should affect upstream as well, unless we do some wrong building?16:30
jbichayes, I'll ask upstream about it too, just wanted to see if my change wasn't completely crazy16:31
pittikenvandine: hm, that doesn't look very sophisticated, though -- you'd still look at the raw XML?16:32
dobeypitti: no, no bzr; just using the auto-imported branch in ubuntu16:32
jbichaI'd like to update libgdata this week, is there any reason that wouldn't really be safe?16:32
pittikenvandine: there's also some half-done work wrt. integrating it into gtk-doc16:32
pittijbicha: I don't know one, I guess we need to test it with e-d-s and other rdepends16:33
pittidobey: ack16:33
jbichaI should put gdata in the desktop PPA, then?16:33
kenvandinepitti, i use the gir file, i never tried the girlook thing16:34
pittikenvandine: same here16:34
pittijbicha: sounds fine; happy to test with that, I'm using e-d-s with my google accounts16:34
mvorickspencer3: I'm so with you on this, its becoming hard work :/16:34
pittidobey: upped16:35
dobeypitti: thanks much!16:35
* didrocks is sure now mvo has a hilight on "gir" or "repository" :)16:40
pittidobey: ... and source NEWed16:40
pittidobey: I'll add it back to the desktop seeds16:41
dobeypitti: great!16:41
dobeyi'll fire off the mail to request it be added to the ubuntuone packageset after lunch then :)16:42
pittidobey: added16:43
pittidobey: ^ to the package set, I mean16:43
dobeyoh thanks :)16:46
dobeyoff to lunch now :)16:46
chrisccoulsonhah, love the comments: https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/c78b1257-eeb8-4c71-9219-8634b212020516:52
pittiheh16:54
m4n1shdidrocks: there?16:55
didrocksm4n1sh: yeah!16:55
m4n1shyou have done the packaging?16:55
didrocksm4n1sh: ready to make the first official release16:55
m4n1shyes16:55
didrocksm4n1sh: it's done, I fixed the FTBFS here :)16:55
m4n1shupdating changelog etc16:55
m4n1shfixed distcheck16:56
m4n1shFTFBS due to?16:56
didrocksexcellent!16:56
m4n1shdidrocks: FTFBS due to? maybe the fix might find it's way upstream16:56
pittigood night everyone!16:57
m4n1shyou need to update debian/rules to add --with-ccpanel because due to changes it does not look for ccpanel by default unless asked for16:57
didrockspitti: have a good night pitti!16:57
didrocksm4n1sh: desktop-file-validate: command not found16:57
seb128chrisccoulson, see, launchpad comments are not that bad ;-)16:57
didrocksm4n1sh: maybe we need to detect it (if you still use it) in the configure?16:58
m4n1shyup. I need to look at deja-dup again16:58
seb128just build-depends on desktop-file-utils?16:58
m4n1shI didn't try building it in a chroot environ16:58
seb128pitti, 'night16:58
m4n1shthat should solve in ubuntu16:58
m4n1shbut should be fixed in the build system too16:58
didrocksseb128: I mean, upstream :p16:58
m4n1shdidrocks: also remember --with-ccpanel16:59
didrocksseb128: of course, the build-dep is already here :)16:59
seb128;-)16:59
didrocksm4n1sh: hum, is it needed?16:59
pittisee you at the TB meeting tonight16:59
m4n1shyes16:59
didrocksm4n1sh: it wasn't before (autodetected, isn't it?)16:59
m4n1shdidrocks: I am not sure how to pass it to configure, probably debian/rules16:59
m4n1shdidrocks: that broke distcheck16:59
didrocksm4n1sh: or my memory is fuzzy, let me check :)16:59
m4n1shneed to find a way to kill both birds with one stone16:59
didrocksm4n1sh: don't worry on the packaging :p17:00
m4n1shjust updating you17:00
didrocksok about the added option17:00
m4n1shthat was already present17:01
m4n1shthe behaviour changed17:01
didrockshum, what do you mean?17:01
m4n1shby default it does not detect libgnome-control-center17:01
m4n1shunless asked to do so17:01
didrocksthat's a weird behavior17:02
m4n1shearlier if that option was present and libgnome-control-center was not found it threw an error17:02
m4n1shyes, I know17:02
m4n1shthat is a workaround for now17:02
didrockswhy do you need that?17:02
didrocksok17:02
m4n1shwill fix it17:02
didrocksif I have time, I'll maybe try to help you here :)17:02
m4n1sheverything is in configure.ac file17:02
m4n1shplan to do another minor release on 13th17:03
m4n1shto fix any bugs found17:03
m4n1shor UI minor enhancements17:03
didrockssure :)17:04
* m4n1sh heads for dinner17:04
didrocksm4n1sh: do you have a tarball?17:04
m4n1shdidrocks: not now17:04
* didrocks didn't check launchpad yet17:04
didrocksone sec :)17:04
didrocksah17:04
m4n1shyou can make one17:04
didrocksm4n1sh: well, it's better when upstream does an official one, but ok17:04
m4n1shlp:activity-log-manager17:04
didrockswhen will you do a tarball?17:05
m4n1shtofay in a few hours17:05
m4n1shprecise update in progress17:05
didrocksm4n1sh: oh can wait then! :)17:05
m4n1sh*today17:05
didrocksm4n1sh: please send me an email, I'll do it tomorrow morning! :)17:05
m4n1shsure..17:05
didrocksthanks17:05
m4n1shdidrocks -at- ubuntu- ?17:05
m4n1shright?17:05
m4n1shanyway I'll get it from LP17:06
didrocksm4n1sh: yeah ;)17:06
didrocksthe email is right (com)17:06
=== mpt_ is now known as mpt
mptmvo, 'Sorry, the package "%s" failed to install or upgrade.' Apart from submitting an error report, is there any advice or suggestion we could offer users after saying that?17:53
ronocmvo, can i use the pkclient glib lib for that menuitem17:54
ronocmvo, i went to pull in the libpackagekit-dev package17:55
ronocinorder to get the docs and headers around that17:55
ronocmvo, Sebastian on that bug shows the use of the python bindings seemingly around pkclient17:56
ronoci presume i can use the C lib ?17:56
mvoronoc: the  c lib should work too, indeed17:57
mvoronoc: as it talks to the dbus service that aptdaemon provides17:57
mvompt: unfotauntely not much, removing the package maybe, but even that may fail17:57
ronocmvo, cool excellent that should make things easier - thanks17:57
=== s9iper1 is now known as bil21al
ronocmvo, what was weird was that when i went to pull in the dev package it also pulled in package-kit, will that screw with anything18:01
mpt_mvo, and that error will keep coming up whenever they install or upgrade a package that depends on the failed package?18:01
mvompt_: yes18:04
mvoronoc: *ick*18:04
mpt_hrmm.18:04
=== mpt_ is now known as mpt
ronocmvo, ok so i should back it out then18:06
ronocmvo, it's kinda confusing as to what package i am to use.18:06
ronocits package-kit but it's not package-kit if you get me18:06
mvoronoc: this sounds like there are some dependencies in PK that are too strict18:07
ronocok18:07
mvoronoc: yeah, its just a compat layer, but I understand that this is confusing :/18:07
ronocmvo, no worries - business as usual :)18:07
ronocok ill back it out now18:07
ronocmvo, this is the package i installed - libpackagekit-glib2-dev18:09
mvoronoc: hm, it should install without the need for the full PK, odd18:11
ronocok i have backed out packagekit and that dev package18:11
ronocmvo, http://paste.ubuntu.com/831661/18:14
mvoronoc: does apt-get install --no-install-recommends libpackagekit-glib2-dev makes a difference?18:15
ronocmvo- yep looks good18:16
ronocmvo, http://paste.ubuntu.com/831667/18:17
ronocall good ?18:17
mvoronoc: yes!18:17
ronocmvo, excellent, thanks18:18
mvoyw18:21
jbichampt: could you take a look at bug 926213 ? thanks18:27
ubot2`Launchpad bug 926213 in unity "Overlay should refer to "Menu Bar" not "Top Bar"" [Low,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/92621318:27
desrtseb128: hey19:38
seb128desrt, hey19:38
desrtany news in the automake saga?19:38
seb128desrt, no, I got busy with w.e catching up and GNOME 3.3.5 today19:39
seb128desrt, and I'm sort of waiting for the Debian maintainer to update and see if the new version works or not19:39
* desrt is presently in the middle of tossing a tarball over that particular fence19:39
seb128desrt, but the ecryptfs confirmed the bug I ran into locally19:39
desrtseb128: cool19:39
desrt4f6ffd386b90e85791164794a66860aa16b7ff988f96105ea5ddc15808c776f5  dconf-0.11.5.tar.xz19:40
desrt:D19:40
seb128desrt, ;-)19:41
seb128desrt, will make didrocks happy19:41
seb128desrt, he was pondering backporting the fix for the bug you discussed the other day or waiting today19:41
desrthe works too hard19:42
desrthe found that bug on like.. friday?19:42
desrtand he can't delay his work until monday? :p19:42
seb128desrt, ;-)19:43
seb128desrt, btw danilo rolled a new intltool which has been uploaded to Ubuntu and Debian today19:43
desrti saw that!19:43
desrti wonder if he actually fixed the issue properly...19:44
* desrt checks19:44
seb128desrt, btw while you are there, do you have any clue about charsets? ;-)19:48
desrtcharsets?19:48
seb128desrt, g_message ("bug.vala:1: Est-ce que tes enfants sont de bons élèves? Ça va pour eux?");19:49
seb128desrt, that prints "?" rather than the non-utf8 chars19:49
seb128desrt, works if you do CHARSET=UTF-8 bin19:49
desrtwhat's your locale?19:50
seb128fr_FR.UTF-8 but mhr3 who reported it use en_US.UTF-8 and I confirmed on a oneiric livecd19:50
desrtlet me see what happens here19:50
seb128desrt, mhr3 said19:50
seb128 <mhr3>seb128, it will have something to do with g_get_charset returning "ANSI_X3.4-1968" as current charset, no matter how i set LC_ALL etc...19:50
desrthum19:51
seb128desrt, I've looked a bit to it but dropped due to GNOME updates, I just wanted if you had a clue about it19:51
desrtseb128: you have my curiosity19:51
seb128desrt, the glib codes parses /usr/share/locale/locale.alias which I'm pretty sure is broken19:52
desrtseb128: the glib code that does this stuff is insanely magic19:52
seb128since that file states19:52
seb128# Note: This file is obsolete and is kept around for the time being for19:52
seb128# backward compatibility.  Nobody should rely on the names defined here.19:52
seb128# Locales should always be specified by their full name.19:52
desrtwe have an internal copy of a weirdass library called libcharset19:52
seb128but I'm not convinced that's the issue19:52
desrti'm pretty sure it's not19:52
desrti'll look into it19:52
seb128desrt, ok thanks19:52
* desrt suspects that a little bisecting will go a long way here19:52
seb128desrt, do you get the issue?19:53
desrtyup19:53
seb128great, that's a good start ;-)19:53
seb128well I tried glib 2.30 on oneiric so it's not a recent issue19:53
desrtthanks for the datapoint19:53
desrtmaybe i'll just go for the direct approach then19:53
desrtbtw: hit you back for one19:54
desrtdo you know what is the state of the art for getting entries into /etc/resolv.conf (and keeping them there) when using static entries in /etc/network/interfaces?19:54
desrt'uninstall resolveconf'?19:54
seb128cyphermox_, ^19:55
seb128desrt, I will delegate to our nm maintainer ;-)19:56
desrtseb128: this looks like a libc bug20:03
seb128desrt, where is doko? ;-)20:03
desrtwell, hold on20:04
desrtya.  pretty sure it's a libc bug...20:05
chrisccoulsonheh20:05
chrisccoulsoni need doko to review an icedtea plugin patch ;)20:05
chrisccoulsondoesn't look like he's around today20:05
desrtseb128: http://paste.ubuntu.com/831818/20:05
desrtcodeset: ANSI_X3.4-196820:06
desrtglib is basically passing that value directly from what the libc tells it20:06
seb128desrt, indeed, that seems buggy20:06
desrtoh.  duh.20:07
desrtseb128: there's no bug here at all20:08
desrtyou simply need to call setlocale (LC_ALL, "");20:08
desrtotherwise the locale stuff in the libc is never initialised20:08
seb128oh, doh20:08
seb128mhr3, ^20:08
* desrt forgot and did NULL, which is not the same as ""20:08
seb128desrt, thanks for spotting it, I just took mhr3's testcase and overlooked that20:09
desrtseb128: i basically did the same... setlocale(,NULL); is a no-op :p20:09
ricotzseb128, the internal dependencies of librsvg really needs some overthinking, like the -dev package should pull -common and -bin20:19
seb128ricotz, why?20:19
ricotz-common includes gdk-pixbuf loader20:20
seb128right, why is that required for builds?20:20
ricotzwhich is needed for gnome-themes-standard now20:20
ricotzto build the gressource file20:20
seb128then g-t-s should build-depends on it?20:20
ricotzwhile it is using the new gdk-pixbuf-pixdata converter20:21
seb128what component is calling the command which needs the loader?20:21
ricotzthemes is calling the converter with a svg20:21
ricotzbut if one installs the -dev package of rsvg it seems reasonable to pull the loader since librsvg itself already depends on libgdk-pixbuf20:23
ricotzloader > -common20:23
seb128yeah, I'm fine making the dev depends on the bin20:23
seb128ups common20:23
seb128why do you need -bin?20:23
ricotzjust to pull in everything20:24
mhr3desrt, seb128, but this wasn't needed in previous versions of glib iirc20:24
seb128mhr3, I would be surprised if it wasn't20:24
ricotzlike libglib-dev pulls its -bin or g-i too20:24
seb128ricotz, ok, works for me20:25
seb128ricotz, I will do that20:25
ricotzthanks20:25
seb128mhr3, desrt: though I agree it seems buggy,    g_message ("Est-ce que tes enfants sont de bons élèves? Ça va pour eux?"); should display fine whatever the local is20:25
seb128it's standard utf-8 and we should default to utf-820:26
seb128RainCT, there?20:54
RainCTseb128: yeah20:54
seb128RainCT, unping, I guess you did you gtk2 patch against 2.24.8? I'm updating to 2.24.10 and your patch doesn't apply but I guess that's because you include http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/gtk/gtkrecentmanager.c?h=gtk-2-24&id=400e53c568be2270d9bd3e19cc7695703295908520:55
RainCTseb128: yeah20:56
seb128RainCT, yeah, that's it, I sorted it ;-)20:56
RainCTok, cool20:56
desrtseb128: i disagree21:09
desrtseb128: the libc is in ascii-only mode until you call setlocale()21:09
desrtwe only know that we are using utf8 because of the LANG environment variable.... and the libc doesn't look at that until setlocale()21:10
seb128desrt, well I think glib should default to be utf821:10
desrtseb128: we ask the libc "what is your output locale?"21:10
desrtand it says "ascii"21:10
seb128it's a bit of a stupid situation21:10
seb128you shouldn't have to set a locale to be able to print utf8 chars21:11
desrti think it's a bit dumb that you have to call setlocale() in order to get the obviously-correct behaviour21:11
desrtbut given that's how it works... i really don't think glib should attempt to hack around that21:11
desrtthe only thing you may argue is that we should call setlocale() ourselves from inside of glib21:11
seb128glib should call setlocale() for you ;-)21:12
seb128yeah21:12
desrtand indeed, you argue that :)21:12
seb128:p21:12
desrtwell21:12
seb128you know me well ;-)21:12
desrti thought that we could do some stuff from gtkapplication21:12
desrtbecause every program you see does these 3 lines about setting and binding the gettext domain and setting up the loclae21:12
seb128right21:13
seb128out of some programs written by english speakers who don't notice they forgot those until a non english user try to use their software ;-)21:13
desrtlike dconf-editor ;)21:14
seb128but yeah, it seems like one of those things most people copy around like autotools :p21:14
seb128especially you never know if you need to call setlocale() or bindtextdomain() or both and what they are needed for21:14
seb128that's the sort of stuff that should just be handled for you in normal applications21:15
seb128i.e gtkapplication could do it for you21:15
desrtdo not disagree.21:16
desrtbut it does not presently do so21:16
desrtso sucks to be you :)21:16
seb128desrt, k, fair enough ;-)21:16
desrtseb128: you have me investigating possibilities now :)21:20
seb128desrt, good! ;-)21:20
kenvandinedesrt, sweet :)21:20
* desrt ponders using application_id as gettext domain21:23
* desrt wonders if that would work21:23
seb128kenvandine, hey22:01
seb128kenvandine, want to do the vala stable serie update when you will have a free slot? ;-)22:02
pittikenvandine: btw, for disk space/feature planning, is it still realistic to have a gwibber in precise that uses gir and webkit-gtk3_22:02
pitti_22:02
pittierk22:02
pitti?22:02
pitti(accidentally switched keyboard layout)22:03
kenvandinehehe22:03
kenvandineseb128, sure22:03
seb128kenvandine, thanks ;-)22:03
kenvandinepitti, perhaps22:03
kenvandinepitti, we hit some gir issues in the keyring gir, dobey was going to look at it some more22:04
kenvandinedobey, have you had a chance?22:04
seb128kenvandine, pitti: is the u1 control panel going to switch to the qt version this cycle?22:04
pittikenvandine: oh, haven't heard of hem22:04
pittiseb128: I dunno22:04
dobeykenvandine: sadly, i haven't. tomorrow for sure.22:04
dobeyseb128: that was the plan22:05
seb128pitti, btw since you are still aorund there are a few updates to do in Debian on the etherpad if you have a free slot one of those days22:05
kenvandinedobey, cool22:05
seb128pitti, they are mostly easy one, libcroco, pango, shared-mime-info22:05
pittiseb128: added to my TODO22:06
pittiTB meeting is over, that means bedtime22:06
pittisee you all tomorrow!22:06
seb128pitti, danke22:06
seb128pitti, 'night22:06
micahgseb128: anyone working on gimp 2.6.12?22:11
seb128micahg: not that I know about, nobody active in the team in any case22:11
micahgok22:11
tjaaltonshould libs using libglade be multiarchified? seems like libglade doesn't find libgnome.so, which breaks gnucash22:33
tjaaltonbug 92251422:33
ubot2Launchpad bug 922514 in gnucash "<libglade> libgnome.so: cannot open shared object file" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/92251422:33
tjaaltonlinking /usr/lib/<triplet>/libglade -> /usr/lib/libglade fixes that, so sounds like yes22:39
TheMusojbicha: Re bug 927801, have you had working audio on this machine before? If so, when?22:52
ubot2Launchpad bug 927801 in alsa-driver "[, Realtek ALC662 rev1, Green Line Out, Rear] No sound at all" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/92780122:52
=== dduffey is now known as dduffey_afk
=== dduffey_afk is now known as dduffey
=== dduffey is now known as dduffey_afk
cyphermox_TheMuso: hey23:42
cyphermox_on a similar note to jbicha's bug -- any idea what would cause pulseaudio to stop listing one of the cards? my desktop's main card  (HDA Intel of some sort) is listed in alsa but never shows up in pulse. no errors that I noticed anywhere, but I'll re-check23:43
TheMusocyphermox_: First thing that comes to mind is that something is grabbing the card before pulse does...23:48
TheMusoGrrr this hud is pissing me off..23:49
cyphermox_hud?23:49
TheMusoI have to remember to hold alt down for longer than I would normally.23:50
jbichaTheMuso: actually, this week's the first I played with it and I immediately upgraded to Precise23:50
cyphermox_I didn't ever manager to make this work :)23:50
TheMusojbicha: ah ok, I've left a comment in the bug.23:50
TheMusocyphermox_: I am running unity trunk.23:50
cyphermox_right23:50
TheMusocyphermox_: The appmenu parts haven't landed yet, but the hud UI is in unity trunk/.23:50
cyphermox_but I thought +archive/hud would have done the same too23:50
TheMusoWell the unity side for the hud stuff has landed.23:51
cyphermox_ah23:51
cyphermox_bah23:52
cyphermox_I already got enough of that scrolling into the left side of the screen to make the launcher pop up to worry about :)23:52

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!