=== smb` is now known as smb
=== dgjones is now known as DJones
balloonswell.. it's time :-)14:00
balloons#startmeeting qa community meeting14:01
meetingologyMeeting started Wed May 30 14:01:04 2012 UTC.  The chair is balloons. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.14:01
meetingologyAvailable commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired14:01
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology | qa community meeting Meeting | Current topic:
balloonswho is all present and accounted for? :-)14:01
skaethiya balloons14:09
balloonshiya skaet14:09
balloonslonely hearts club in here today14:09
skaetah well,  short meeting then.14:09
* balloons is thinking of simply emailing my updates14:09
skaetthat works for me.  :)14:10
skaetonly thing I was planning on adding was a reminder that next week is Alpha 114:10
balloonsindeed.. well, I guess I'll close up and do so. I've got a couple other emails to send to the list and tweet this morning anyway14:11
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology
meetingologyMeeting ended Wed May 30 14:11:20 2012 UTC.14:11
meetingologyMinutes (wiki):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2012/ubuntu-meeting.2012-05-30-14.01.moin.txt14:11
meetingologyMinutes (html):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2012/ubuntu-meeting.2012-05-30-14.01.html14:11
ogra_oh, speeddating^Wmeeting14:14
* xnox 0/14:59
* ogra_ coughs 14:59
* barry o/15:00
* slangasek waves15:00
* stgraber waves15:00
meetingologyMeeting started Wed May 30 15:02:05 2012 UTC.  The chair is slangasek. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.15:02
meetingologyAvailable commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired15:02
slangasek[TOPIC] lightning round15:02
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: lightning round
slangasekecho $(shuf -e barry doko stgraber jodh ev bdmurray slangasek ogra infinity cjwatson)15:02
slangasekcjwatson stgraber barry ev jodh doko bdmurray infinity ogra slangasek15:02
slangasekdid I pull the wrong list? :)15:02
barryit always takes 2 attempts :)15:03
slangasekstupid cut'n'paste15:03
* xnox the lightning round is broken second meeting in a row.....15:03
jodhthere must be a charm to do this :)15:03
ogra_doko, better than fried15:03
slangasek$ echo $(shuf -e barry doko stgraber jodh ev bdmurray slangasek ogra infinity cjwatson xnox stokachu)15:03
slangasekogra doko cjwatson barry stokachu ev jodh infinity slangasek stgraber xnox bdmurray15:03
slangasekis that better? :)15:03
* ogra_ starts then 15:03
ogra_* merges and FTBFS fixes (pending uploads)15:03
ogra_* whitmonday on ... guess ... monday15:03
ogra_* bugged infinity (who then bugged webops) enough to actually get our arm live builders back up15:03
ogra_* synced the new flash-kernel from debian15:03
ogra_* switch to livefs builds for arm15:03
ogra_* test and fine bugs due to the flash-kernel switch15:03
ogra_* prepare for A1 and try to get as many arm images working as possible15:03
doko- vacation last week15:05
doko- Linaro connect this week15:05
doko- fixing GCC 4.7 build failures (~80 and counting)15:06
ogra_.oO( why does he get all the candy and we dont )15:06
cjwatson * Various random syncs and merges.15:06
cjwatson * Finished packaging OpenSSH 6.0p1, and merged to quantal.15:06
cjwatson * Spent the best part of a day bisecting GRUB to track down what turned out to be a memory leak that disproportionately affected EFI systems due to the larger disk cache in use there.  Backported the fix.15:06
slangasekdoko: is that 80 fixed, or 80 to go?15:06
cjwatson * Removed support for daily installer uploads, not used since the days of dak (bug 827965).15:06
ubottuLaunchpad bug 827965 in Launchpad itself "Ditch daily installers" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/82796515:06
cjwatson * Lots of work on the custom upload code (e.g. bug 827973); mostly extensive refactoring to support future changes.15:06
ubottuLaunchpad bug 827973 in Launchpad itself "Unify custom-upload filename parsing and handling" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/82797315:06
cjwatson * Arranged for imports of Debian publication records to be a bit more responsive.15:06
slangasek(are we counting up or down? :)15:06
cjwatson * Landed the first part of my work on the queue API (bug 1006173), exporting the acceptFromQueue() and rejectFromQueue() methods on PackageUpload objects.  Should be deployed in a day or two.15:06
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1006173 in Launchpad itself "Queue tool requires direct DB access" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/100617315:06
cjwatson * Discussions of how to sanely lay out the rest of the queue API.  I have an initial version working from before these discussions, but it'll need to be upended somewhat now.15:06
dokoslangasek, 80+ fixed, see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=ftbfs-gcc-4.7;users=debian-gcc@lists.debian.org15:06
cjwatson * Fixed buggy Packages-arch-specific parsing (bug 917708).15:06
ubottuLaunchpad bug 917708 in Launchpad itself "Launchpad does not recognize Arch = any-arm" [Low,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/91770815:06
cjwatsonTo do: Have a quick look at bug 1003443, since we've had a number of reports of that.15:06
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1003443 in ubiquity (Ubuntu Quantal) "Ubuntu Quantal Desktop 21120523 failed to install: ubi-timezone failed with exit code 2" [Critical,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/100344315:06
barryshort week due to usa holiday; working on the lazr.restfulclient stack (wsgi_intercept, lazr.authorization, oauth) - going slow but making progress; tracked down incompatibility in py3 version of httplib2 <http://tinyurl.com/7anbxcn>; reviewed slangasek's python-pam branch; updated transition tracker (now auto-updating, thanks xnox!); first dm dputs to debian for flufl.* packages; AM assigned, working through DD process; reviewed and15:07
barryaccepted pep 421 - need to review patches.  todo: continue w/lazr stack; done.15:07
stokachunothing to report. but i did work hard for it. done.15:07
ev- Continued work on the tastypie port of the web API. I've put this down for15:07
ev  now as it's taking longer than expected and I need to focus on client-side15:08
ev  work which has a FeatureFreeze deadline.15:08
ev- Fixes to our handling of unicode data through the web API.15:08
ev- Helped Marcus and Tom with some terminal screenshots.15:08
ev- Reviewed and merged Dmitrijs' branch to remove migration-assistant.15:08
ev- Dropped migration-assistant from quantal and precise-proposed.15:08
ev- errors.ubuntu.com now greys out problems which it believes may be fixed (in15:08
ev  trunk).  This looks at whether the most recent published binary in Launchpad15:08
ev  is the most recent version daisy has seen and whether the linked bug is15:08
cjwatsonbarry: Is the "py3 wsgi_intercept with half its brain removed" sketch plan working out?15:08
ev  marked as fixed. If all goes well here, we'll change this to hide problems15:08
ev  it believes are fixed.15:08
slangasekcjwatson: queue api - woot!15:08
ev- Started implementing Matthew's redesign of the diagnostic settings page.15:08
ev  This adds a checkbox for automatically sending reports and installing15:08
ev  updates when the computer is in an unusable state (can't login, etc).15:08
ev- Split libwhoopsie out of whoopsie to handle generating the system15:08
ev  identifier. I'd appreciate any attention you can give the merge15:08
ev  (https://code.launchpad.net/~ev/whoopsie/libwhoopsie/+merge/107562) and I'll15:08
ev  return the favor. This is for:15:08
ev  - Whoopsie, obviously. (Not sure if it's best practice to link or build in).15:08
ev  - The preferences page in gnome-control-center, so we can have a button that15:08
ev    takes the user to a webpage of all the crashes that have occurred on their15:08
ev    computer.15:08
ev  - The metrics database.15:08
ev  - The hardware database.15:08
ev- Call with Kate and others on the QA Dashboard project.15:08
ev- Call with Ivanka on putting some structure to the various discussions going15:08
ev  on around metrics.15:08
ev- Started researching the server side apport hooks. Some trickyness around15:08
ev  running them as the user who experienced the crash, given that they'll be15:08
ev  fed from the whoopsie process running as the whoopsie user. Suggestions15:08
ev  welcome.15:08
ev- Started researching moving the Launchpad retracers onto the crash database15:08
ev  retracer system, teaching them to talk to Cassandra instead of the existing15:08
ev  sqlite database, and synthesizing a bug from the crash database retracers15:08
ev  when one does not already exist. I've asked pitti to review my plans.15:08
ev- Started researching creating crash reports from unresponsive applications.15:08
ev  The plan at the moment is to hook into compiz via a new plugin (or patch the15:08
ev  Unity plugin) that checks the active property of the compiz window at the15:08
ev  glPaint interval, then hand off the $PID to a process that can ptrace so we15:08
ev  can gdb attach and bt, handing off to apport.15:09
ev  I've chatted with Neil about this, and he approves of the compiz side of the15:09
ev  plan. I've started a discussion with the security team about the ptrace15:09
ev  side (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1006398).15:09
ev- Ongoing conversation with Francis, Robert Collins, and William Grant around15:09
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1006398 in Ubuntu "Bypassing ptrace restrictions for errors from hanging applications" [Undecided,New]15:09
ev  creating an API to map crash signatures to fixed versions of binary15:09
ev  packages. I need to write an LEP and largely do the work myself, but they'll15:09
ev  provide guidance.15:09
ev- Merged Dmitrijs' usb-creator branch to clear partitions rather than entire15:09
ev  disks. Uploaded a new usb-creator.15:09
ev- Webops got paged that the retracers are having ongoing connectivity problems15:09
ev  to Cassandra. It looks like we have a load problem somewhere in the system,15:09
ev  so I've dedicated a day to getting Cassandra state monitoring via JMX,15:09
ev  jmxtrans, and Graphite up and running:15:09
ev  https://rt.admin.canonical.com//Ticket/Display.html?id=5332515:09
ev- Helped review Martin's merge to ubiquity that moves from jockey driver15:09
barrycjwatson: more or less, yes.  the only parts we care about are the httplib2 injections (hence the py3 httplib2 bug discovered), and whatever else is necessary to make that work in the context of lazr.*  i have a branch, probably not pushed yet.15:09
ev  installation to ubuntu-drivers:15:09
ev  https://code.launchpad.net/~pitti/ubiquity/ubuntu-drivers-common/+merge/10774415:09
ev- Started adding Graphite reporting to the API calls in15:09
ev  http://errors.ubuntu.com.15:09
jodh* boot/upstart:15:09
jodh  - working on stateful re-exec blueprint.15:09
jodh  - updated stateful re-exec Design doc.15:09
jodh  - discussions with cjwaton and slangasek regarding upgrade scenarios.15:09
jodh  - added basic JSON serialisation/deserialisation for sessions.15:09
jodh* archive/mountall: testing changes prior to first upload for bug 805509.15:09
ubottuLaunchpad bug 805509 in mountall (Ubuntu Precise) "mountall(8) man page does not list any of the 9 available options." [Wishlist,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/80550915:09
barrycjwatson: (still fiddling with the insanity of wsgi on py3 though, so it may not yet be completely right)15:09
jodh 15:09
cjwatsonbarry: *nod*15:09
slangasekbarry: +1 to your post to ubuntu-devel asking if we can prune jockey from the python3 dependency list ;)15:10
barryslangasek: less is more :)15:10
slangasekev: if errors.ubuntu.com will hide problems it believes are fixed, how do we find out that it's wrong in this belief?15:10
evslangasek: indeed, I don't want to make it ever go away completely15:11
evbut there may be value in splitting that into two views15:11
evor hiding it by default15:11
evwe'll see how it goes though - I'm not definitely saying this will happen15:11
xnoxinfinity is not here?!...15:12
cjwatsonhe's connecting I think15:12
slangasekev: right - just want to know what that view is and make sure we're monitoring it in some fashion :)15:12
* doko looks at the bar15:12
evslangasek: understood15:12
ogra_xnox, he mailed iirc15:12
ogra_being at connect it is a decision between bar and meeting ... ;)15:13
slangasekjodh: oh cool, you're on top of those mountall merge requests then?  I'll clear those out of my queue15:14
slangasekno infinity today, he's excused for it being 11pm in Hong Kong15:14
slangasekas doko would've been, but apparently he chose IRC over beer :)15:15
slangasek * short week, memorial day holiday in the US15:15
slangasek * merge: autoconf, anacron (which now has upstart support in Debian)15:15
slangasek * fix makedev (bug #1001460)15:15
slangasek * SRU update-notifier for a regression caused by fixing the inclusion of translations, bug #100310015:15
ogra_or has beer with IRC15:15
slangasek * SRU processing15:15
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1001460 in makedev (Ubuntu Quantal) "preinst fails in d-i" [Critical,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/100146015:15
slangasek * ported python-pam (not yet landed)15:15
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1003100 in update-notifier (Ubuntu Quantal) "package-data-downloader: KeyError: 'paquetes'" [High,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/100310015:15
slangasek * reviewing merge proposals from xnox15:15
jodhslangasek: I'm testing your mountall changes now.15:15
stgraber- Networking15:15
stgraber - Spent some time testing candidates SRU for an IPv6 bug in Network Manager15:15
stgraber - Pushed some bugfixes in isc-dhcp to quantal15:15
stgraber - Prepared and uploaded SRU of isc-dhcp to 12.0415:15
stgraber- SRU15:16
stgraber - Pushed the next LXC SRU, containing quite a few bugfixes and reducing the delta with Quantal.15:16
stgraber - Sponsored libgcrypt11 for stokachu15:16
stgraber- Containers15:16
slangasekjodh: hmm, the ones I staged in the branch?15:16
stgraber - Pushed some improvements upstream, did some more work on the API design15:16
stgraber - Kernel SRU validation for apparmor bugfix required by LXC in 12.0415:16
stgraber - Implemented workaround for conflict with dnsmasq by shipping a dnsmasq.d config file15:16
stgraber- ISO tracker15:16
stgraber - Finished user interface for the testcase management changes15:16
stgraber - Fixed the API and updated python-qatracker, unit test says it's all good :)15:16
stgraber - Did some other minor improvements to the DB schema15:16
slangasekjodh: perhaps I should push the rest of my changes here - I was planning 2.37 to go straight to Debian unstable15:16
stgraber - Fixed remaining bits of the admin UI15:16
stgraber - Weekly meeting with QA, got some more changes to do15:16
stgraber- Other15:16
stgraber - Setup fortnightly 12.04.1 team meeting, starting tomorrow at 14:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting15:16
stgraber - Discussed API key policy with pastebin.com, ported to new API and SRUed to everything15:16
slangasekjodh: and it's just been blocked because we need plymouth updated in Debian first15:16
stgraber - Updated a bunch of bugs to go have the required SRU fields15:16
stgraber- TODO this week15:16
stgraber - Continue with ISO tracker changes based on the list from QA and work items15:16
stgraber - Monitor current SRUs and get them all tested as soon as they hit -proposed15:16
stgraber - Prepare for alpha115:16
jodhslangasek: ok - i'll hold fire.15:16
xnox== ubiquity-lvm-luks ==15:17
xnox * Working with mpt on the design15:17
xnox * LINK https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ubiquity/AdvancedPartitioningSchemes15:17
xnox * Prototyping / testing changes in ubiquity15:17
xnox== foundations-q-btrfs-requirements ==15:17
xnox * btrfs-tools sponsored!15:17
xnox * needs discussion about backporting to precise (not sure about15:17
xnox   kernel version dependencies, as precise has 3.2)15:17
xnox== other ==15:17
xnox * e2fsprogs sponsored!15:17
xnox * going to debconf, organised travel15:17
xnox * shepherding boost1.49 transition15:17
xnox * uploading gcc 4.7 patches to debian (~7)15:17
xnox * replying to merge request reviews...15:17
slangasekstgraber: did you get my note about Debian bug #673490?15:17
ubottuDebian bug 673490 in bridge-utils "serious doubts about /lib/udev/bridge-network-interface" [Important,Open] http://bugs.debian.org/67349015:17
dokoslangasek, I'll catch up later =)15:17
slangasekdoko: heh15:18
stgraberslangasek: yes, will try to find some time to look at it/reply later this week15:18
dokoxnox, thanks for the gcc work15:18
slangasekstgraber: ok - just15:18
ogra_xnox, nah, stokachu was short :)15:18
stokachui win15:18
slangasekstgraber: ok, just making sure you got it and I didn't mis-send15:18
ogra_xnox, and he worked harder than you ! (he said so !!!)15:19
bdmurraybug triage of initramfs-tools package install failures15:19
bdmurrayupdated bug-bot to handle live media package install failures with a full /cdrom15:19
* xnox is shunned again ^_^15:19
bdmurrayran bug-bot against old apport-package install failures on old releases15:19
bdmurraybug-bot expand logging messages to be more verbose about all the actions taken15:19
bdmurraymodifications to bug-bot to deal with ubiquity bug reports differently15:19
bdmurrayfixed https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/UpdateManagerWarningForI8xx url in the ubuntu wiki which update-manager links to15:19
bdmurraywrote a bug pattern for update-notifier bug 1003100 regarding paquetes15:19
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1003100 in update-notifier (Ubuntu Quantal) "package-data-downloader: KeyError: 'paquetes'" [High,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/100310015:19
bdmurraymerge proposal for grub2 with modification to apport package hook15:19
bdmurrayconsolidation of man-db driver installation on Live Media bug reports into bug 98563615:20
ubottuLaunchpad bug 985636 in man-db (Ubuntu) "package man-db 2.5.7-4 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1" [Undecided,Incomplete] https://launchpad.net/bugs/98563615:20
bdmurrayinvestigation into apport-collect failure on precise - LP: #100402915:20
bdmurrayemail to ubuntu-devel regarding migration-assistant15:20
bdmurraypatch piloting15:20
bdmurrayStable Release Updates team training15:20
bdmurray⌁ done ⌁15:20
* xnox is the 'paquetes' bug due to switching default locale to french?15:20
ogra_only for the desktop though15:21
slangasekthat would be paquets15:21
slangasekthis was because the translation teams for ALL the languages on the Iberian subcontinent were ambitious and translated a variable name that wasn't expected to be translated ;)15:21
* xnox should check upon / verify the grub2 sru15:21
slangasek(and python's Template routine bails with eparse on a variable it can't substitute)15:22
slangasekany other questions about any of the above?  concerns about the switch to French locale and keyboard? :)15:23
* barry hides15:23
* slangasek ponders shutting down bug reporting against the resolvconf package entirely15:23
slangasekcan we have a bug pattern that matches the package name and just redirects to stgraber's blog? :)15:24
* xnox uses US layout on the UK keyboards. I think I will survive fr locale, as I already fight all the 'helpful' geo-location keyboard suggestions.15:24
slangasekus dvorak alternate international ftw15:24
barryslangasek: on an mbp keyboard15:24
xnoxslangasek: lucky me, I used resolvconf for like ~2 years now =)))) I was happy about the switch.15:25
slangasekxnox: I'm not sure how you managed while the package in Ubuntu was in such a state, but ok :)15:25
slangasek[TOPIC] Bugs15:25
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Bugs
* ogra_ never got the hang of dvorak ... its so much work to scrape off all the letters off the keys and add them in a different order 15:25
* xnox ogra_ you know that you can pull out the key with the letter sticker and rearrange ? =)15:26
bdmurraybug 98563615:26
ogra_nah, thats cheating !15:26
* xnox not so much on my Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard15:26
ubottuLaunchpad bug 985636 in man-db (Ubuntu) "package man-db 2.5.7-4 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1" [Undecided,Incomplete] https://launchpad.net/bugs/98563615:26
bdmurraylooks to me like people were trying to install nvidia in the live environment after installing ubuntu15:26
stokachuNeeds sponsor: * http://launchpad.net/bugs/974054 (oneiric is affected as well)15:27
cjwatsonis there any way we can make these bugs stop landing on man-db?15:27
ubottuLaunchpad bug 974054 in isc-dhcp (Ubuntu Oneiric) "dhcpd attempts to use /var/run/dhcpd.pid, AppArmor errors" [Undecided,Confirmed]15:27
stokachuNeeds guidance for getting bug more attention: * http://launchpad.net/bugs/520386 (mir: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netcf/+bug/904014)15:27
ubottuLaunchpad bug 520386 in libvirt (Ubuntu Lucid) "libvirt-bin hypervisor does not support virConnectNumOfInterfaces / unable to create domain with virt-manager using network bridge" [Low,Confirmed]15:27
cjwatsonthey're basically never its fault15:27
ubottuLaunchpad bug 904014 in netcf (Ubuntu) "[MIR] netcf" [Undecided,In progress]15:27
bdmurraythese what?15:27
cjwatsonall the gazillion bugs of the general shape of 98563615:27
cjwatsona bunch of them were bugs in some package management programs, which I recall fixing a cycle or two ago15:28
bdmurrayright so any package install failure shouldn't be about man-db?15:28
slangasekman-db has a trigger, which is why it bears the brunt15:28
cjwatsonright, the same goes for other packages with triggers and I don't know that a simple blacklist is right15:28
ogra_yeah, we should probably make that silent or dont say the package name in the output15:28
stgraberstokachu: I'll look at the oneiric part of bug 97405415:28
ubottuLaunchpad bug 974054 in isc-dhcp (Ubuntu Oneiric) "dhcpd attempts to use /var/run/dhcpd.pid, AppArmor errors" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/97405415:28
cjwatsonwe want to somehow figure out how to identify the actual package at fault15:28
stokachustgraber: cool thanks15:28
cjwatsonthe problem is that due to aforementioned package manager bugs the dpkg terminal log is empty15:29
slangasekheh, yes15:29
slangasekcan we just sunset those buggy versions of the package manager?  or SRU?15:29
cjwatsonI'm kind of at the point where I'd say that if the terminal log is that useless (only started/ended entries) and there's nothing else of much use, we should just unreportable the bug15:29
slangasekthat particular bug was reported against Ubuntu 10.1015:29
xnoxstokachu: the netcf / libvirt bugs affect me. Anything needed there in particular?15:29
slangasekcjwatson: maybe it would be better to intercept and report it against the package manager itself, so we know if there are problems with log breakage?15:30
cjwatsonquite possibly15:30
stokachuxnox: someone recently created a ppa for lucid so probably needs some testing15:30
cjwatsonbug 680328 is the one I remember15:30
ubottuLaunchpad bug 680328 in qapt (Ubuntu Maverick) "Many postinst scripts fail using either PackageKit, or QApt" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/68032815:30
cjwatsonwe never did get round to SRUing that to maverick, and can't now15:30
stokachuxnox: i know serge is swamped but this bug is a high visibility one15:30
slangasekbdmurray: ^^ do you want to take the action to get package install reports with broken logs reported against the package manager?15:30
bdmurrayand we might be able to find out which package manager from the history log file - if it has data15:31
cjwatsonso we could just bin any such bugs from 10.10; >=11.04 would be something different15:31
bdmurrayslangasek: yes15:31
slangasek[ACTION] bdmurray to get package install reports with broken logs reported against the package manager instead of a random package with a trigger15:31
meetingologyACTION: bdmurray to get package install reports with broken logs reported against the package manager instead of a random package with a trigger15:31
slangasekbdmurray: thanks15:31
bdmurrayregarding the bug in question - is it possible to try and install nvidia on live media anymore?15:32
slangasekstgraber: 974054> thanks for taking15:33
slangasekbdmurray: is that meant to be blocked?15:33
slangasekI guess you'd get inconsistent results with nvidia installed in the live env, since you can't update the initramfs15:34
slangasekand would therefore get the drm driver loaded at next boot for plymouth15:34
stgraberslangasek: it's roughly the same fix I uploaded to quantal and precise, just didn't think oneiric was also affected.15:34
bdmurrayslangasek: I believe so, I'll go back and look again15:34
slangasekcjwatson, ev, stgraber: any of you recall if we're blocking nvidia driver installation in the live env?15:34
evnot offhand15:35
cjwatsonwell, there's no way to stop you *trying* to apt-get install it; I don't recall what happens though ...15:35
bdmurrayThat's what I remember and email thread on ubuntu-devel with pitti and bryce talking about it15:35
slangasekwell, I guess we don't want the GUI to facilitate this bit of foot shooting :)15:35
* xnox as a user, jockey didn't run & didn't offer to install those in the livecd. Only on installed system. But yeah people follow 'guides' and 'tutorials' and install it byhand.15:36
slangasekbdmurray: I guess maybe it's worth you following up with them then, since no one here knows for sure15:36
slangasekbdmurray: did you have more bugs?  Let's look at the two stokachu mentioned and then we can circle around to any more you have for us15:36
stokachuwho is the goto person for nfs?15:36
bdmurrayslangasek: okay15:36
* xnox slowly hides from stokachu15:37
slangasekstokachu: I generally tend to the client side; bryce happens to look after the server side with a community hat on; but xnox can be your point of contact for nfs going forward ;)15:37
ogra_stokachu, a hybrid between xnox (filesystems) and stgraber (networking) .... "xngraber"15:37
stokachusweet :D15:38
stokachunothing atm but im working an autofs case i may speak to one of you about15:38
xnoxwhat is the question about nfs?15:38
slangasekwhimper, autofs15:38
slangasekwe still have shutdown ordering bugs in that package, unless something's changed recently15:38
stokachuyes... 1500+ mounts all hanging on autofs reload15:38
slangasekyeah, that's one to discuss out of band :)15:39
cjwatsonspeaking of autofs, does anyone fancy merging our autofs5 changes into the new autofs source package in Debian?15:39
cjwatson(well, "new", it used to be in lucid before the rename to autofs5, but it looks like now it's been renamed back15:39
xnox[ACTION] xnox to merge autofs15:40
meetingologyACTION: xnox to merge autofs15:40
slangasekxnox: thanks :)15:40
ogra_wow, brave !15:40
* xnox is that a suicide or something. I'm not core-dev so one of you will have to review it =))))15:41
cjwatsoncool, thanks15:41
* xnox laughs15:41
stokachuwould firefox be considered a desktop or foundations area15:42
slangasekogra_: what's the worst that can happen if he breaks every filesystem package in the archive during his probation period? ;)15:42
slangasekstokachu: desktop15:42
bdmurraywhat? desktop!15:42
xnoxwe used to have a separate team for it15:42
slangasekbug #52038615:42
stokachuok cool b/c this is the ugliest FF bug15:42
ubottuLaunchpad bug 520386 in libvirt (Ubuntu Lucid) "libvirt-bin hypervisor does not support virConnectNumOfInterfaces / unable to create domain with virt-manager using network bridge" [Low,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/52038615:42
slangasekso that one needs a core-dev for an SRU, by the look of it15:43
cjwatsonyeah, over to desktop with an extra hard kick15:43
slangasekit looks like it needs fixed in quantal first though, according to the bug state?15:43
ogra_slangasek, we hire him and assing all these packages to him forever ?15:43
slangasekstokachu: is 520386 fixed in quantal?15:43
stokachuslangasek: i don't believe so ill need to double check; progress has been moving very slow on it15:44
slangasekogra_: ah, the sisyphus approach to performance management15:44
stokachuis serge in here?15:44
ogra_doesnt look like15:44
slangasekstokachu: nope - he's server team; you'll probably want to touch base with him directly then15:44
ogra_(if you mean hallyn)15:44
slangasekstokachu: once there's a fix in quantal we can certainly help shepherd it through for SRUing15:45
stokachuah, yea serge hallyn, ok ill ping him15:45
stokachuslangasek: ok good deal15:45
stokachuogra_: whats his nick on irc?15:45
slangasekstokachu: 'hallyn'15:45
slangasekhe's on #ubuntu-devel15:45
ogra_and -server15:45
stokachuok ill pop over there after meeting15:45
ogra_and sometimes in -kernel15:45
slangasekstokachu: any other bugs that want discussing?15:46
slangasekstokachu: congrats on the progress on the NSS+ldap+gcrypt nightmare bug, btw :)15:46
stokachuslangasek: thanks -- could not have done it without Mr Chu :)15:46
stokachuslangasek: oh i did get an email from someone who i think is upstream maintainer about it, ill forward it to you15:47
slangasekstokachu: ok cool15:47
stokachuslangasek: sent15:48
slangasekbdmurray: how about from your side... any other bugs?15:48
bdmurraybug 349469 has some recent debugging data in it15:48
ubottuLaunchpad bug 349469 in debconf (Ubuntu) "debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/34946915:48
slangasekthe common denominator seems to be aptd15:50
slangasekbut it doesn't make sense why the dpkg lock doesn't get in the way first15:51
slangasekanyone have any theories how this could happen?15:52
slangasekif not, I can follow up with bdmurray to try to formulate a plan of attack for debugging15:52
cjwatsonIs the dpkg lock applied before preconfiguration?15:53
slangasekah, of course it wouldn't be15:53
slangasekand apt only checks the dpkg lock, it doesn't set one of its own?15:53
ubottuDebian bug 469354 in debconf "debconf: dpkg-reconfigure should acquire dpkg lock" [Normal,Open]15:53
slangasekbdmurray: woo, triaged ;)15:53
cjwatsonbut when I looked at the recent process tree, I didn't see any other apt/dpkg/debconf-like processes15:54
xnoxin apt there is a window of oportunity when no apt/dpkg lock exist, as a user found out, between the two resolution loops you can e.g. start synaptic and create a deadlock.15:54
xnoxnot sure if it's the same.15:54
slangasekcjwatson: which ones were you looking at?15:54
cjwatsonone package management process does not a lock collision make?15:54
* xnox this maybe old info15:54
slangasekcjwatson: the process trees are being provided by the users after hitting the bug15:54
cjwatsonxnox: simply starting synaptic wouldn't take the debconf lock15:54
slangasekso the collided process has exited non-zero by that point15:55
xnoxcjwatson: true, you need to launch a synaptic action for example.15:55
cjwatsonxnox: which would take the apt lock15:55
cjwatsonmodulo that debconf bug15:55
cjwatsonStill, all that would do is move the lock collision somewhere else15:55
cjwatsonIt would probably still show up15:55
* xnox will try to reproduce my old deadlock, didn't see it happen in a while15:55
cjwatsonThis isn't a deadlock, it's just a failure to acquire the lock15:56
slangasekfollowed up to the bug15:59
slangasekcjwatson, bdmurray: thanks, nice to have a prospect finally of fixing that one15:59
cjwatsonheh, snap15:59
cjwatsonexcept you linked to the Ubuntu bug with the same number15:59
slangasekheh, sorry15:59
slangasekI typed 'Debian' in my head16:00
slangasekbdmurray: anything else?16:00
bdmurrayno that's good for me16:00
slangasekok, thanks16:00
slangasek[TOPIC] Python porting virtual sprint16:00
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Python porting virtual sprint
slangasekas I mentioned earlier, we'll be doing a 3-day virtual sprint next month for python porting16:01
slangasekJune 11-1316:01
slangasekso now you have it mentioned somewhere logged ;)16:01
slangasekI'll send email along soon-ish with the exact plans for the hours we'll be working... but it should be less of a shift for everyone compared with the last sprint we did, because we'll run two groups with 4-hour overlap instead of moving everyone to the dead center16:02
slangasek[TOPIC] AOB16:03
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: AOB
slangasekanything else?16:03
evhttps://code.launchpad.net/~ev/whoopsie/libwhoopsie/+merge/107562 - would love some extra eyes on that one16:03
slangasekI was just going to mention that actually :)16:03
evit's just C, it won't bite16:03
slangasekev: why use c99 instead of $(CC)?16:03
evslangasek: $(CC) with the c99 option?16:03
slangasekif you need to16:04
cjwatsonYeah, you should always use $(CC) for x-compiling support16:04
evI do16:04
slangasekthen yeah, especially now that there's a lib, $(CC) would be a good idea16:04
evneed to use c99 features, that is16:04
cjwatson(not that whoopsie wouldn't need more work for that)16:04
slangasekdo you actually have to invoke gcc with -std=c99 to make use of c99 features?16:04
cjwatsonno multiarch support?16:04
xnox[ACTION] slangasek to send an email about Python sprint16:04
meetingologyACTION: slangasek to send an email about Python sprint16:04
slangasekI thought you only have to do that to *disallow* code that's *not* c99-compliant16:05
evah yes - I hadn't considered that. I was more thinking to hell with people trying to run it under clang16:05
cjwatsonwe don't care about that for the rest of the distro ;-)16:05
slangasekright :)16:05
evslangasek: if I run it without, it cries about variables defined in loop constructs16:05
evif memory serves16:05
slangasekanyway, I'll try to send some more feedback on that merge request... would be good if others could as well16:06
slangasekit's just the addition of a shared library in C, it won't bite ;)16:06
slangasekanything else?16:06
jodhev: I'm up for reviewing that too.16:06
evand I will gladly return the favor16:06
xnox[ACTION] more reviews for ev's merge proposal16:06
meetingologyACTION: more reviews for ev's merge proposal16:06
xnox[LINK] https://code.launchpad.net/~ev/whoopsie/libwhoopsie/+merge/10756216:06
cjwatsonif you haven't already, you should nm -D the shared library to make sure only the symbols you absolutely need are exported16:06
evso do subscribe the team to merges. I'll try to get to yours quickly, so you're not left waiting to land branches.16:06
* xnox meetingology fail16:06
cjwatsonand in answer to your earlier question, you should link whoopsie dynamically against libwhoopsie rather than (effectively) shipping two copies16:07
slangasek[LINK] https://code.launchpad.net/~ev/whoopsie/libwhoopsie/+merge/10756216:07
xnoxLINK https://code.launchpad.net/~ev/whoopsie/libwhoopsie/+merge/10756216:07
cjwatsontry #link16:07
evcjwatson: ahhh, noted, thanks! dynamically link> thanks bunches for clarifying that. I couldn't find a good answer elsewhere.16:07
slangasek#link https://code.launchpad.net/~ev/whoopsie/libwhoopsie/+merge/10756216:07
cjwatsonthere's basically hardly ever a good reason to link statically16:08
* xnox so we test audio & irc bots during team meetings16:08
ev*cough* Go16:08
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology
meetingologyMeeting ended Wed May 30 16:08:42 2012 UTC.16:08
meetingologyMinutes (wiki):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2012/ubuntu-meeting.2012-05-30-15.02.moin.txt16:08
meetingologyMinutes (html):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2012/ubuntu-meeting.2012-05-30-15.02.html16:08
slangasekenough testing, time to do real work ;)16:08
slangasekthanks all16:08
ogra_thanks slangasek16:08
xnox[ACTION] fix meetingology16:09
xnoxcheers =)16:09
xnoxslangasek: apeerantly pasting links, already adds them16:12
xnoxwe have 3 of them now =)16:12
=== samkottler is now known as samkottler|afk
=== samkottler|afk is now known as samkottler
=== jacob_ is now known as jacob
=== Pici is now known as Guest55530
=== Pici` is now known as Pici
=== samkottl_ is now known as samkottler
highvoltagehi! anyone around for edubuntu-meeting?19:01
* highvoltage has just been speaking about edubuntu tasks with mgariepy for the last hour, so it feels like I've done all the updates already :)19:01
highvoltagehere's our burndown chart with todo items: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/community-q-edubuntu19:02
highvoltageit's early days for the 12.10 cycle19:02
* stgraber waves19:03
highvoltage== Artwork Changes ==19:03
highvoltage* Some old wallpapers are being removed (the low-res ones in edubuntu-wallpapers), one new ladybug wallpaper is being added19:03
highvoltage* A bug is fixed where we show some kde tool icons in gnome fallback session19:04
highvoltage* one of the new apps we added (rocs) doesn't have an icon, bug filed: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rocs/+bug/100646119:04
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1006461 in rocs (Ubuntu) "Rocs does not have a menu icon" [Low,Confirmed]19:04
highvoltage(it's known upstream as well)19:04
highvoltage== Package Set Changes ==19:04
highvoltage* KDE edu package selection has been reviewd: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-devel/2012-May/003816.html19:05
highvoltage* Gnome: We lost gnome-games since it's not shipped in Ubuntu anymore, we're checking which of these should be included, at least the glchess game should be useful19:05
highvoltage* (also under gnome): we've included gnote since we didn't have a note taking app in the last release19:06
highvoltage(tomboy has been removed as a casualy when mono was removed from the CD)19:06
highvoltageGnote has some problems, we'll have to evaluate whether we want to keep it.19:07
highvoltage* Upstream gnome is working on reviving pessulus though a gsoc project: http://tranzistors.wordpress.com/19:07
highvoltage== Misc stuff ==19:08
highvoltage* LTSP Live now uses autologin, users don't have to go through all the work of clicking on "Log in as Guest" anymore19:08
highvoltage== Community stuff ==19:09
highvoltage* Our website is being migrated to Drupal7, my hope it that it goes live within the next 2-3 weeks19:09
highvoltage* wiki.edubuntu.org pages now redirect you straight to wiki.ubuntu.com pages (google will now rank wiki pages better and cause less confusion for users)19:10
highvoltage* the edubuntu council will be working on a sponsorship process/program for companies who wish to publicly support the edubuntu project19:11
highvoltage* some people have requested that we have weekly meetings again because they're easier to remember that way (heh), also for different timezones (we might be going with 12:00 UTC and 19:00UTC alternating every Wednesday, watch the site and lists for details)19:13
highvoltageoff the top of my head that's all I have to report on19:13
highvoltageanything to add? any questions?19:13
highvoltagewell, that's it then, I'll be sure to announce the next meetings better :)19:14
tumbleweedhighvoltage: nice meeting19:19
highvoltagetumbleweed: lonely meeting!19:19
tumbleweedthat too19:19
highvoltage(well I knew that alkisg and mgariepy couldn't make it, and that stgraber could only read with one ear, so it was to be expected :) )19:20
* stgraber is kind of here :)19:21
stgraberhighvoltage: right, and as you discussed most of these with mgariepy and me in real life, there wasn't much surprise or things to discuss :)19:22
=== yofel_ is now known as yofel
=== highvolt1ge is now known as highvoltage

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!