=== figarocorso is now known as miky_jr
=== Tonio_ is now known as Tonio_aw
=== Sweetsha1k is now known as Sweetshark
=== figarocorso is now known as miky_jr
=== yofel_ is now known as yofel
Aeefirehey guys.15:41
ogra_ho ho ho16:04
* ogra_ waves16:04
meetingologyMeeting started Fri Jan 18 16:04:23 2013 UTC.  The chair is ogra_. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.16:04
meetingologyAvailable commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired16:04
ogra_so this is the weekly nexus7 status meeting16:04
ogra_anyone here besides me ?16:04
jake__I am16:04
ogra_hmm, i would have wished for some more people ... especially developers to give some status updates16:06
ogra_anyway, i can at least do my own status update if others dont show up ...16:07
ogra_work has been done on the splashscreen front, people using recent images will notice plymouth showing up on their installs (sadly still in portrait mode)16:08
ogra_ureadahead was also fixed to finally generate proper .pack files, that should speed up booting slightly16:08
ogra_work on reducing the image size (due to switching the tarball to xz compression) is underway, that will give us the opportunitzy to finally re-pack the images for more than the 8G device16:09
ogra_xnox did some work on the usb-creator side for nexus7 support, so the installation/flashing should be possible from there soon16:09
ogra_janimo developed a daemon for rotation and ambient light support https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2013-January/036337.html16:10
ogra_we're still discussing how to move on from here16:11
ogra_(it works fine but x is really slow to update the orientation)16:11
ogra_the most serious issue is still the touch input layer getting confused ... even more in portrait mode16:12
ogra_well, thats all the status i have to give atm16:12
ogra_does anyone else want to speak up16:12
ogra_hey JanC16:13
ogra_i just posted a link to the ubuntu-devel mail16:13
ogra_and mentioned your work16:13
* ogra_ wishes someone from the X team would be around 16:14
ogra_i'd really like to hear about the input issues16:14
janimoI'll have a look myself if no unity/X guy has time16:14
janimomaybe I find some more clues to pass them16:15
ogra_well, i was told there are fixed upstream, but thats like two months ago16:15
ogra_tjaltoon was supposed to take care for it16:15
janimodo we still have a top 5 worst bugs list as we had around UDS?16:15
=== chiluk is now known as chiluk_away
ogra_i think so, yeah16:15
ogra_well, the top one is surely input16:15
ogra_sound still needs a suspend cycle to start working16:16
ogra_but thats an nvidia issue  according to diwic16:16
ogra_we still have the panel shadow as black bar ...16:16
janimothere are more than one input bugs though . One that it stops working, then nautilus double tap, and the relatively new clikcs not working unless in defautl orientation16:16
ogra_and we have 103 open bugs ... some of them start smelling already16:17
* ogra_ points at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-nexus716:17
ogra_yeah, there is also "never release grab"16:17
janimoI'd not mark those Q->R dist-upgrade ones Critical unless they happen on fresh raring installs16:18
ogra_especially BT ones :)16:18
ogra_since qunatal has a hack there16:19
ogra_plars, around ?16:20
ogra_(and updates from the QA side ?)16:20
ogra_or gema or balloons ?16:21
balloonsgema's stateside today, or perhaps traveling back16:22
janimoI will go through those 103 bugs and see if any needs update/removal :)16:22
=== chiluk_away is now known as chiluk
ogra_some do, but are assigned to people already, i didnt want to just close them16:22
ogra_at least not without talking to the owner16:23
ogra_in any case it doesnt seem that all the noise i made about this meeting got any of our developers here today ...16:23
ogra_anyone having a suggestion how we can change that ?16:24
ogra_also if anyone from the audience wants to speak up, ask a question or help, feel free16:25
Shindzas for making noise,  I read the post on the fridge...16:25
ogra_this is an open meeting for everyione to participate :)16:25
ogra_Shindz, it was on G+ as well and on planet.ubuntu.com and i think someone even re-posted it to facebook16:26
ShindzI saw it on planet.ubuntu.com16:28
* ogra_ has no idea what other media should have it as well, to get peoples attention16:28
ogra_but i'll happily follow any suggestion for next weeks announcement :)16:28
Shindzmay be some some devs don#t go social ...16:28
ogra_hah, yeah16:29
Shindzfor the Nexus 7, when could we expect to see a first true tablet experience ?16:29
ogra_some time in 13.10 i guess16:30
ppisatiwhile i'm not nexus7 active ATM, i'm here :)16:30
ogra_in 13.04 all the focus is on the underlying bits (the so called plumbing layer)16:30
* ogra_ hugs ppisati 16:30
* ppisati hugs back :)16:30
ogra_so dont expect to much from 13.04 wrt tablet UI experience16:31
ogra_focus atm is to cut down everything we can to optimal values ...16:31
ogra_ram usage, space usage, speed etc16:31
Shindzgood to know.  what is the most difficult task you are facing now ?16:32
ogra_and make all the bits and pieces work (sensor inputs like rotation or GPS etc)16:32
ogra_Shindz, that the devs assigned to tasks dont show up to meetings i guess *g*16:32
Shindz*g* ^^16:32
ogra_beyond that, see the buglist, as jani and i mentioned, the input layer is super broken still16:33
Shindzyeah I wanted to ask about it16:33
ogra_on a touch device thats not really helpful :)16:33
ogra_well, so i'll take an action to hunt down the missing devs personally during next week and have them show up here16:34
rrnwexecis bluetooth getting any closer? that would help us test without needing the touchscreen16:34
ogra_not having an Xorg dev here while discussing the input layer wont get us very far16:34
ogra_rrnwexec, well, there is one nonfree bit that we havent decided on yet how to handle it ...16:35
ogra_you could install the brcm bits from the quantal PPA on raring, i think that should make it work16:35
rrnwexecok. thanks :)16:35
ogra_(but will make upgardes to the BT stack fail)16:35
ogra_cyphermox, ^^^16:36
ogra_do you have any info about the BT progress on the nxexus7 ?16:36
ogra_hmm, seemingly not16:37
ogra_probably some words of whats ahead for next week ...16:38
ogra_i'll be working on adding preseeding support to the images for automated testing in the QA testlab16:38
ogra_i'll also be working on the xz compression which needs some massive changes in the image build process and the installer16:39
ogra_once thats in place we can think about building images for flavours (xubuntu, kde-plasma and lubuntu were asked for)16:39
janimoogra_, do we now have extra server time to add more flavours?16:40
ogra_if someone is eager to learn how ubiquity works, i think xnox would be grateful for help on the "input in textfields does not work" and "wallpaper is missing" bugs of the installer16:40
ogra_janimo, my re-working of the compression should avoid that16:41
janimoyou mean we could install multiple desktops from a single image?16:41
ogra_janimo, currently the compressing happens on a panda and takes 1/3 of teh build time ... i want to move that part to nusakan16:41
janimostill, have 3 or 4 nexus flavours seems a lot of work for little gain16:41
ogra_janimo, nope, we will build multiple flavour based images16:41
janimoanyway not my business16:42
ogra_the xz compression isnt needed for te3h flavours, its needed for being able to re-roll the image during flashing for bigger than 8G devices16:42
ogra_the current one is to big to properly re-pack it, fastboot falls over then16:43
ogra_and the -S option for fastboot doesnt seem to be safe16:43
ogra_(the tarball needs to become smaller for re-packing)16:44
ogra_janimo, adding the flavours is a one line change to the crontab for each flavour16:45
ogra_thats no biggie16:45
janimoI was under the impression there is little time for extra images hence them being continuously pruned16:45
ogra_making buildtime for them is, but thats fixed by moving the compression which we have to do anyway16:45
janimoI thought the disappearance of the ac100 is a result of such shortage16:46
ogra_current buildtime is 90min ...16:46
janimoof server time and developer resources16:46
ogra_30 of them for gzip16:46
ogra_miving to xz on the panda would double that16:46
ogra_moving the whole compression to nusakan (x86 machine) will make us get rid of that delay16:46
ogra_xz has to happen anyway ... we'll get spare time for flavours for free through it16:47
ogra_disappearance of the ac100 ?16:48
* ogra_ checks, they should build 16:48
ogra_still there :)16:48
ogra_anyway, 10min to go ... does anyone have more questions, suggestiones etc ?16:50
ogra_seems not ...16:51
ogra_i'll try to make sure the next meeting is a bit more crowded, if any of you have questions outside of that meeting, we're around in #ubuntu-arm all day ...16:51
ogra_going once16:51
ogra_going twice16:51
ogra_meeting adjourned !16:52
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology
meetingologyMeeting ended Fri Jan 18 16:52:14 2013 UTC.16:52
meetingologyMinutes (wiki):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-01-18-16.04.moin.txt16:52
meetingologyMinutes (html):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-01-18-16.04.html16:52
ogra_thanks everyone !!!16:52
plarsogra_: hi, what's up?17:13
=== davidcalle_ is now known as davidcalle
=== Tonio_ is now known as Tonio_aw
CrestedNewtEvening all, apologies for last week - was my birthday and wife took me out at last minute18:01
bobweaverwell happy birthday18:02
CrestedNewtbobweaver - cheers mate18:02
=== chiluk is now known as chiluk_away
CrestedNewtSo who is chairing today?18:05
mhall119hey guys18:06
CrestedNewtmhall119 - hiya!!18:07
bobweaverhey mhall11918:07
mhall119so I know we've been in kind of a holding pattern lately, waiting to see what's coming out way from the desktop team and phone team18:07
mhall119tgm isn't there, but I think he's been working on the MythTV scopes18:08
CrestedNewt@mhall119 - should we do the #meeting thing first?18:08
meetingologyCrestedNewt: Error: "mhall119" is not a valid command.18:08
CrestedNewtmhall119 - should we do the #meeting thing first?18:09
meetingologymhall119: Error: "meeting" is not a valid command.18:09
meetingologyMeeting started Fri Jan 18 18:09:34 2013 UTC.  The chair is mhall119. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.18:09
meetingologyAvailable commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired18:09
mhall119there we go18:09
* tgm4883 lost track of time debugging vmware18:10
CrestedNewtand no sooner than you do tgm4883 turns up18:10
mhall119no worries, we just started18:10
mhall119tgm4883: you've been working on MythTV scopes right?18:10
mhall119#topic MythTV Scopes18:10
tgm4883is bobweaver here?18:10
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: MythTV Scopes
tgm4883so we want a progress report?18:10
mhall119tgm4883: could you give an update on your progress?18:10
tgm48832 scopes18:11
tgm48831st scope, display content/playback18:11
tgm4883I've resolved a bug where i hardcoded in my backend info in one place, somehow I missed it18:11
tgm4883so if anyone has been using the playback scope, it should be fixed in bzr now18:11
tgm4883I plan on packaging that up this week after a bit more testing18:12
tgm4883It displays everything that is recorded and/or in the videos storage group on the mythtv system18:12
tgm4883it also autoconfigures itself18:12
tgm4883I plan on putting some options in place for that, but I wanted to discuss with bobweaver about that first18:12
tgm4883mostly regarding a config utility and gconf18:13
bobweavermy hands are tied18:13
bobweaverI have no clue how the phone uses any gio or dee or anything like that18:13
tgm4883I would estimate that the playback scope is 95% complete, as I'm sure there are some minor things that need to be done18:13
mhall119yeah, so right now the front-end work really is having to wait to see where the desktop and phone are going18:13
mhall119tgm4883: cool, how about the guide scope?18:14
tgm4883Also not sure if I'll need to adapt anything for the different layouts18:14
mhall119tgm4883: the scopes shouldn't care about layout18:15
bobweaverGood question18:15
tgm4883Also, still waiting on bug #1096708 to be looked at18:15
ubottubug 1096708 in dee (Ubuntu) "'SharedModel' object has no attribute 'append' using Python 3 on 12.04" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/109670818:15
mhall119#action mhall119 to follow up on bug #1096708 with libdee developers18:16
meetingologyACTION: mhall119 to follow up on bug #1096708 with libdee developers18:16
tgm4883mhall119, true, but for episodic content it might need an additional info from me18:16
* tgm4883 shrugs18:16
tgm4883we'll cross that bridge when we get to it18:16
mhall119tgm4883: that bug you figured out was in the dee GIR packages right?18:16
tgm4883I've put all the info from my testing in the report18:17
tgm4883looks like it just needs a backport18:17
tgm4883anyway, scope #2, guide data18:17
mhall119tgm4883: the upcoming scopes API should be finalized soon, I'll get you that info as soon as it's available18:17
tgm4883mhall119, awesome,, thanks18:17
tgm4883so the guide data scope is still pretty early18:18
tgm4883It needs a few things18:18
tgm48831) Guide lens18:18
tgm48832) Previews18:18
tgm4883Currently it works by using the videos lens.18:18
tgm4883It pulls all guide data every 12 hours from the backend18:19
tgm4883Searching includes title/subtitle18:19
tgm4883there is no searching of description. While I'd like to do that, we need an upstream mythtv change for that to happen18:19
mhall119tgm4883: are you able to test these in your own dash?18:19
tgm4883otherwise the guide data pull goes from 20 seconds to 90 minutes18:20
tgm4883mhall119, yes, I've been testing this scope in my 12.10 laptop18:20
tgm4883using the standard Unity and videos lens18:20
mhall119tgm4883: would you be able to do a short blog post showing off screenshots and/or screencasts?18:20
tgm4883mhall119, there really isn't anything great to show off. It would be an extremely early alpha18:20
tgm4883since it's using the videos lens, it doesn't look well at all18:21
tgm4883I suppose I could do a screencast though18:21
mhall119I think just seeing MythTV results would get people talking though18:21
tgm4883ok, I can do that18:21
tgm4883Is there screencasting software I should use?18:21
tgm4883I haven't done it in quite some time18:21
mhall119#action tgm4883 to show off MythTV results in the dash18:21
meetingologyACTION: tgm4883 to show off MythTV results in the dash18:21
mhall119kazam is really nice18:21
mhall119any other questions for tgm4883 about MythTV scopes?18:22
CrestedNewtnot from me18:22
tgm4883So for a guide lens, I haven't looked much into it yet18:22
tgm4883mostly, IIRC we're waiting on unity changes18:22
tgm4883since there isn't a good layout for guide data yet18:22
mhall119tgm4883: yeah, to display a guide in the Dash will require not only API changes, but also a new renderer18:23
bobweaverI dont want to talk about that18:23
bobweaverI am so frustrated about all that ^^18:23
mhall119and a new renderer requires UI stuff that it waiting on more info from Canonical18:23
mhall119bobweaver: I know, we should chat in PM later18:23
mhall119#topic UI work18:24
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: UI work
tgm4883But for scopes, I don't have to deal with that at all. It doesn't stop progress on my work until we actually need to do the lens18:24
bobweavertgm4883,  what if things are not the same ?18:24
mhall119so like I've said, there's a lot we're currently waiting on that's blocking UI development18:24
bobweaverwhat if 13.10 is not using py like it is now there is alot inthe air18:24
tgm4883bobweaver, from a scope POV, it doesn't change that much for me18:24
mhall119there was a product sprint in SanFran this week where the future plans for Unity across all formfactors was a major point of discussion18:25
tgm4883all my scopes are python318:25
mhall119bobweaver: python scopes are going to be okay, is what I've been told18:25
bobweaveryeah well I dont understand what "Unity" is anymore18:25
tgm4883I think moving Unity to now use python scopes/lens would be a death blow to unity18:25
mhall119originally they wanted to replace them with compiled scopes, but they decided to get optimizations using another method18:25
mhall119We should have something solid on the API side by the end of this month18:26
mhall119which I *think* is going to support guide data18:27
mhall119it'll still use Dee models, just like current Dash, but will allow custom fields18:27
tgm4883I hope so18:27
bobweaveras far as ui stuff I have everything on my end on the back burner because of the phone and what not. but that is ok ,18:27
mhall119it should all still use dconf for settings too, so either GSettings or whatever the Qt API is for dconf18:27
bobweaverqtdee has been ported ?18:27
tgm4883mhall119, so we could use any custom field, or should I be telling someone what fields are necessary for guide data18:28
mhall119bobweaver: I'll double check on that18:28
mhall119#action mhall119 to check on availability of qtdee18:28
meetingologyACTION: mhall119 to check on availability of qtdee18:28
bobweaverthat is what unity 2d was using18:28
bobweavermhall119,  I dont know if that is a big deal untill I see the backend QT/c++ code that is for phone18:29
mhall119tgm4883: there will be the current regular fields, but you can then define your own "Schema" on top of that with additional fields18:29
tgm4883mhall119, ok18:29
bobweaverthe shared lib for unity and it's plugins18:29
bobweaverqt ^^18:29
tgm4883mhall119, because I'd hate for them to think of only a few fields and for us to need more18:29
mhall119so we would decide on what data we need for a Guide, make that our schema, and build scopes that provide it18:29
tgm4883mhall119, I've talked about what we need for guide data previously18:30
tgm4883IDK if it's written down anywhere though18:30
mhall119tgm4883: that's ok, since it won't be baked-in, we can make it and change it as we go until we're happy with it18:30
mhall119anyway, all that should be done and public by the end of the month, or so I'm told18:31
mhall119for the rest of the Dash, we're waiting to hear how all of the different codebases are going to be merged together18:31
mhall119desktop, TV and phone18:32
mhall119which will tell us what technology to use where18:32
mhall119bobweaver is currently blocked on that18:32
mhall119and I'm working to get him unblocked18:32
mhall119so, that's all I've got on the UI topic, any questions?18:32
bobweavernope any questions for me ?18:33
mhall119not from me18:33
tgm4883nope, sounds like we're waiting on upstream18:33
CrestedNewtnothing for bobveaver wither18:33
mhall119any other topics to discuss?18:34
CrestedNewtI won't be around next week but I don't add that much atm18:34
mhall119CrestedNewt: no worries18:34
bobweaverI dont have anything else to add atm18:34
bobweaverI made a mockup wiht the phone sdk stuff last night18:35
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology
meetingologyMeeting ended Fri Jan 18 18:35:12 2013 UTC.18:35
meetingologyMinutes (wiki):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-01-18-18.09.moin.txt18:35
meetingologyMinutes (html):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-01-18-18.09.html18:35
mhall119bobweaver: mockup of what?18:35
bobweaverapp that is Ubuntu tv18:35
bobweaveror like a frame work18:35
bobweaverso that it is ready for implanting18:35
bobweaversoon we will all have everything that we need . exciting times :) have a good one everyone18:37
mhall119let's head back to #ubuntu-tv, then you can share links :)18:37
CrestedNewtgood stuff bobweaver - catch you in a couple of weeks18:37
=== Ursinha-afk is now known as Ursinha
=== james_w` is now known as james_w
=== Ursinha is now known as Ursinha-afk
=== Ursinha-afk is now known as Ursinha
=== chiluk_away is now known as chiluk
=== chiluk is now known as chiluk_away
=== chiluk_away is now known as chiluk
ptlthe Nexus 7 discussion will happen within 10 minutes, is that it?20:43
=== chiluk is now known as chiluk_away
ptlit was 16:00 UTC21:08
ptlI thought it was 16:00 EST21:08
=== cmagina is now known as cmagina_away
=== cmagina_away is now known as cmagina
=== cmagina is now known as cmagina_away
=== cmagina_away is now known as cmagina
=== james_ is now known as blitzkrieg3
=== chiluk_away is now known as chiluk
=== cmagina is now known as cmagina_away
=== cmagina_away is now known as cmagina
=== cmagina is now known as cmagina_away
=== cmagina_away is now known as cmagina
=== cmagina is now known as cmagina_away

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!