mhall119rsalveti: what do you need an app core dev for?00:00
mhall119and what is an "app core dev"?00:00
rsalvetimhall119: someone that has the permission to approve mrs :-)00:00
rsalvetimhall119: fginther approved the mr sergiusens created00:01
mhall119rsalveti: ah, you just needed someone on that app's dev team00:01
rsalvetiso we're god00:01
mhall119you are?00:01
mhall119oh, now I'm disappointed00:01
rsalvetilol, neither sergiusens, we need to get our hands dirty first00:01
rsalvetiworking on the dark side only00:01
sergiusensrsalveti you can't be core in two places00:03
rsalvetijezz, my thinkpad is now just showing 30m of battery the most00:05
sergiusensSaviq_: rsalveti https://code.launchpad.net/~sergiusens/unity/release_1.69/+merge/15725900:10
rsalvetisergiusens: cool, waiting deb00:13
redtapeOT | Not sure if this is still up to date .. but at least the message is getting out there ... |  http://www.knowyourmobile.com/os/ubuntu-android/19842/ubuntu-android-everything-you-need-know01:16
=== smartboyhw_ is now known as smartboyhw
RobbyFhmm redtape, First time i've seen those images, I have a feeling there fake. I try to follow this project as much as possible, 3G isn't enabled, background is wrong plus all those apps are not fucntional.02:41
RobbyFdaily image out early?02:44
sergiusensrsalveti: I'm back fwiw03:19
=== tux is now known as Guest21807
=== jono is now known as Guest52708
=== lubuntu is now known as Guest9310
dholbachgood morning06:36
=== LarrySteeze is now known as LarrySteeze|Away
vilahi all,07:04
vila'phablet-flash -l ' failed with Not enough space in /data, found 3.5G07:04
vilathat's for a nexus7 with 16G, any idea where I can safely 'rm' stuff ?07:06
pvdwhere can I find details regarding how phone starts? what address does it go to execute instruction? How memory is mapped ? How to interact with graphic card? etc.07:22
ogra_pvd, that level is pretty much android07:23
ogra_the code for this layer is at phablet.ubuntu.com07:24
pvdthanks, ogra_; but is there any document where details are listed so that it's easy to understand the code ?07:24
ogra_well, its a minimal android (kernel, HAL and the most minimal system to use them), android documentation applies ... above that there is a container with the ubuntu rootfs ... interaction between container and android is done through the libhybris api07:26
ogra_i dont think there is any specific documentation except the code itself atm07:27
pvdbut as I understood, ubuntu used android core to get into market early, but eventually the plan is to write all the layers in it's code.07:28
ogra_not only to get in the market ... but to have proper driver support ... i dont think that layer is going away soon ...07:29
ogra_there is work going on to flip the container model and to move the android side into a container and keeping the ubuntu rootfs as the "main OS" but to have full HW support the binary drivers from the android side are needed07:30
f69mogra: Any details available yet on how the "flipped" containers will look like? Any indication of progress? Thanks!07:44
f69mThanks :)07:45
=== chriadam is now known as chriadam|away
=== lubuntu is now known as Guest25945
mptseb128, whether the welcome screen is configurable is more a question for rachelliu and chaotic08:44
seb128mpt, hey, ok, thanks09:54
mptseb128, I just asked them about it and they said it should be configurable (including being able to turn it off entirely), but they haven't settled even on default contents yet, so it's a bit early to go into detail.09:55
seb128mpt, ok09:56
guschtsdgeos: ping10:01
tsdgeosgusch: hi10:02
guschtsdgeos: can you review the bugfix of the gallery bug you found yesterday?10:02
tsdgeosgusch: i guess i can10:02
tsdgeosif it's not hard :D10:02
guschtsdgeos: cool https://code.launchpad.net/~schwann/gallery-app/gallery-cpu-photo-view/+merge/15731410:02
tsdgeosgusch: ok, having a look10:05
guschtsdgeos: thanks - it's not a long one ;)10:06
tsdgeosgusch: oh, so it was the ActivityIndicator :D10:15
guschtsdgeos: I was pretty surprised, that the visible flag is propagated dorn to the thumbnails10:16
tsdgeosgusch: do you think it makes sense to create a test for this? or too hard/unuseful?10:16
guschtsdgeos: I'm thinking if it is easily possible to test ...10:17
tsdgeosgusch: what do i delete so that the gallery needs to recreate the thumbnails?10:21
guschtsdgeos: ~/Pictures/.thumbnails10:22
guschtsdgeos: testing would be a huge effort - don't think it's worth the effort10:23
guschtsdgeos: unfortunately there where no tests at all when I took over the gallery (one year of work without a single test...)10:23
guschtsdgeos: atm I try to increase the number of UI tests - for some basic regression testing10:24
=== dandrader is now known as dandrader|afk
=== dandrader|afk is now known as dandrader
roxi have been searching the project wiki, but was unable to find a page that would list ubuntu-touch features and perhaps future roadmap for the project10:43
roxi am tasked with figuring out the easiest way to port apps to ubuntu-touch, so i need to know what the OS supports10:43
ogra_QML/Qt5/C++ and HTML5 for apps10:44
roxi saw there was an android layer, is this feature something like the android runtime in BlackBerry 10?10:44
roxogra_: thank you very much10:45
ogra_there is no java on the images  (and isnt planned to)10:45
ogra_the android layer is solely for having support for binary drivers10:45
roxogra_: ok, i get it10:46
ogra_i.e. we use the kernel and HAL .... and the amount of android to make use of them10:46
roxogra_: but the QML/QT code for BlackBerry should be rather easily portable to ubuntu-touch, right?10:46
ogra_the rest is a plain ubuntu which uses libhybris to talk to the HAL layer10:46
roxogra_: ok, i will keep that in mind10:46
ogra_there are surely minor differences though10:47
* ogra_ isnt an app developer :)10:47
roxogra_: sure, but i imagine nothing of that magnitude, that would prevent on from having a common codebase10:47
ogra_i know people have done ports of their projects from and to sawfish without much hassle10:48
ogra_i would imagine BB isnt much different10:48
roxthe thing is, i got an app, that has separate codebases for android, ios, windows phone and windows desktop and we would also like to support ubuntu touch and blackberry10:48
ogra_mhall119 can probably say more, he is deep into app dev stuff10:48
roxok, thank you, i'll hang around if he shows u p10:49
=== MacSlow is now known as MacSlow|lunch
=== lbt is now known as lbt_away
Nyconycohi all11:16
Nyconycois there any architecture schema of Ubuntu Touch somewhere? I don't find any...11:17
ogra_i dont thinnk there is atm11:18
ogra_but feel free to ask questions :)11:18
Nyconycoso, here are my questions: I know the basis of Ubuntu Touch is the basis of Cyanogen... I also know you can write apps in web technologies, QML, C++11:20
Nyconycowhat else is used in Ubuntu Touch?11:20
ogra_well as you said, there is a minimal android layer to make use of drivers, then there is a container in which the ubuntu rootfs lives and there is libhybris to allow conversation between these two layers11:23
ogra_on top you have the QML phone shell11:23
ogra_there isnt much more :) the ubuntu rootfs is like any other ubuntu you know11:23
Nyconycostuff like GStreamer, Alsa, Telepathy, DBus, SQLite, X11, Mir, Clutter, Wayland, GTK, EFL, Webkit, Gecko, Enyo, PhoneGap/Cordova,11:23
NorbertCan anyone tell me if it is wise to install UT on a Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300)??11:24
ogra_there ios no X11 at all11:24
ogra_the current setup uses SurfaceFlinger which is soon to be replaced with Mir11:24
ogra_gstreamer is supported, Gtk isnt11:24
ogra_Norbert, define wise :)11:25
ogra_if you are a developer and want to test your apps on a real device or if you are a designer and want to get an impression it surely is ...11:26
Norbertorga_ Good point. I only wand to have an impression11:26
ogra_if you expect something for day to day use  to replace your existing phone it isnt yet11:26
NorbertOK thanks than I will wait. Because the GS3 is not my spare phone11:27
Nyconycofunny that Ubuntu (Touch) does not use Gtk, but Qt ;-)11:27
ogra_the desktop will soon as well11:27
=== om26er is now known as om26er]
=== om26er] is now known as om26er
=== SkavenXXI-[OFF] is now known as SkavenXXI
ogra_unityNext is QML based11:27
Nyconycoah ok11:28
Nyconycoso, Ubuntu Touch is GPLv3, right?11:28
Nyconycoat least, core apps are11:28
ogra_everything is11:28
Nyconycoso third party apps are developped in QML, but also web, right?11:28
davmor2ogra_: except anything proprietary driver wise :)11:29
ogra_unless it is based on a foreign project that requires otherwise all code canonical writes and publishes is GPL311:29
ogra_Nyconyco, right, you have the choice ... QML or HTML511:29
Nyconycocan you run Android apps on top of Ubuntu Touch? either directly, or through OpenMobile's ACL, like Tizen and Sailfish?11:30
ogra_there is no java in the image ... and not planned to be added ...11:30
ogra_but you can surely create an emulator to make it work as a third party app11:30
NyconycoI guess... ;-)11:30
ogra_it will get tricky once we switched to Mir though11:31
Nyconycoso, how is the OS development going? I've updated my Galaxy Nexus, and things are going forward, nice to see ;-) any roadmap?11:31
ogra_we're about to switch to base development to raring (13.04)11:34
ogra_a first image was released a few days ago11:34
Nyconycowhat des it mean?11:35
ogra_currently the image is based on an already released ubuntu version11:37
ogra_that makes development not very effective so it is moving into the regular ubuntu archive now11:37
Nyconycook, so should I play with this raring-based version?11:40
Nyconycowhat if I want to demo it?11:41
Nyconycostable and fast enough?11:41
ogra_for stability rather use the daily image11:43
Nyconycook, thnaks for your time! ;-)11:46
_BAMbandawait, so this allows the full terminal to be available to devices? meaning that I can run sudo apt-get while I'm over 3g? and ssh into other machines over a vpn?11:48
ogra_well, there is no gui terminal app yet, but yes it will11:49
ogra_you can ssh to the device today ... apt-get is fully supported (and you can also use adb to get to the ubuntu cmdline)11:50
_BAMbandahmm no nokia lumia support? how do we add other phones to the list?11:54
=== dandrader is now known as dandrader|afk
ogra__BAMbanda, by porting :)12:05
ogra_(see the porting guide)12:05
evogra_: do you happen to know where the compressed initrd lives? I'd like to muck about with init.rc12:06
ogra_ev, depends on the device, i know the bootimg (which contains kernel, initrd and a config) lives in mmcblk0p2 on the nexus712:07
evthanks, that's the badger12:08
ogra_ev, use abootimg to unpack/update/modify12:08
ogra_its in the archive ... (even for your PC if you jsut want to dd the img out of the partition and fiddle with it remotely)12:09
=== MacSlow|lunch is now known as MacSlow
ogra_but it also can operate dircetly on the partition in the device if you like12:10
ogra_its very flexible12:10
_BAMbandaogra_ : is there anyone to jailbreak and do this on the iphone?12:13
ogra_well, the jailbreak wouldnt be the prob but running android on it would i guess12:14
ogra_you need a device that iis supported by cyanogenmod12:14
ogra_if you want to port to one that isnt, you need to add cyanogenmod support first12:15
_BAMbandai think i've heard of people running android on iphone. I know that iOS is unix based right?12:15
ogra_could be, i never touched an iphone :)12:15
=== dandrader|afk is now known as dandrader
_BAMbandaaccording to youtube, people have cyagenmod on iphone12:17
_BAMbandadoes that mean everything should work out?12:17
ogra_dunno, try it :)12:17
_BAMbandaogra_: sorry, I have a problem with getting exciting and asking people stuff without trying!12:18
ogra_no prob12:19
_BAMbandathis is so genius, imagine the pssoibilities of full linux terminal with netwroking abilities in your palm12:20
steve_fihey ogra_ , you wouldn't happen to know if there's a way to get the on-screen keyboard to show using adb?12:21
ogra_nope, i don't12:21
steve_fiI have an Asus Transformer pad and only the keyboard dock works (but mine happens to be broken and only half of the keys work) :(12:22
ogra_probably the maliit documentation knows :)12:22
steve_fididn't know about this, cheers for the heads-up :)12:24
=== SkavenXXI is now known as SkavenXXI-[OFF]
=== _salem is now known as salem_
Nyconycoso is UnityNext gonna be running on the Ubuntu desktop version AND the Ubuntu Touch version?12:47
ogra_yes, thats the purpose of unitynext12:48
sergiusensogra_: rsalveti so now that I can start building/providing the raring images through jenkins, what should we do cdimage wise?12:51
sergiusenssince we have a _quantal_ in the name12:51
ogra_move the name :)12:52
ogra_just tell me once you did and i'll update the sync script12:52
sergiusensogra_: well we are still keeping the quantal one12:53
ogra_(on cdimage we usually build them completely generic, only the final publishing tool names them, you should probably consider that too for the jenkins builds)12:53
ogra_you mean you want dailies for quantal still ?12:54
sergiusensogra_: we did build them completely generic12:54
sergiusensogra_: well, it's not my call... it's more of pmcgowan and bfiller ... I wouldn't consider these builds stable yet12:54
sergiusensogra_: and yes on quantal, until we get further notice12:55
ogra_you are breaking all cdimage policies12:55
ogra_dailies are ponly for development releases ... i'll see what i can do12:55
pmcgowanI think its just a transition issue12:55
ogra_why the heck do we duplicate all work12:56
pmcgowanmaybe don't publish raring images yet12:56
pmcgowanogra_: huh?12:56
ogra_will we triplicate once S opens ?12:56
pmcgowanno we will transition again12:56
sergiusenspmcgowan: if we don't publish, there's no way people get to start fixing the issues with it though12:56
ogra_pmcgowan, you are doing work on quantal ... while at the same time doing work on raring12:56
pmcgowanwe can get it from jenkins for a week?12:56
pmcgowanwhats your suggestion12:56
pmcgowancold turkey?12:56
ogra_i can arrange something, indeed, but the links will change12:57
sergiusenspmcgowan: from jenkins, yes, but only people with access to the VPN12:57
pmcgowanits just short term until we deem it stable12:57
ogra_i suggest doing work on the development release :)12:57
ogra_and leave the done deal behind12:57
pmcgowanwhat is the status of the raring image?12:57
pmcgowanis it solid?12:57
sergiusenspmcgowan: not solid, UI works, most apps work, telephony and networking doesn't12:58
ogra_it surely has more issues than quantal12:58
sergiusensin a nutshell12:58
sergiusensoh, and memory runs out faster12:58
* ogra_ would replace mwc-demo with the last quantal daily and then move on 12:58
sergiusensogra_: replace or add a new one?12:59
ogra_peopple wanting something half way solid can use quantal ... devs can get the daily with breakage and watch it go away over time12:59
ogra_sergiusens, does the mwc one have any value ?12:59
sergiusensogra_: it does to some people12:59
ogra_apart from "hey we were at mwc"12:59
pmcgowanI think its still used for most demos13:00
pmcgowanI can check13:00
pmcgowanbut keeping it costs little13:00
ogra_well, if it has, lets put a quantal "final" next to it13:00
ogra_or some other name, as you like13:00
sergiusensogra_: I don't care about the names, but I woud need to update the download tool13:01
pmcgowanmy feeling is raring build needs to be minimally functional for development, and networking and telephony not working doesnt meet that13:01
sergiusenspmcgowan: I agree, that's why I say, provide without replace13:01
ogra_sergiusens, rigght, i would liek to avoid changes in multiple places13:02
pmcgowanlets set some criteria for the switch13:02
pmcgowanand get people focused on allowing it13:02
ogra_having two dailies seems rather bad imho13:02
pmcgowansergiusens: lets mark any transitions bugs top priority13:02
sergiusenspmcgowan: who should we involve in setting that criteria?13:02
sergiusensogra_: we did the same for migrating from Qt5 beta to proper, took a week and no one noticed (users), which was good13:03
pmcgowanlets make a proposal and circulate13:03
sergiusenspmcgowan: ok, I'll scribble an email13:03
ogra_sorry, i'm spolied by distro practices :)13:04
ogra_we make a release and then there is a hard cut13:04
ogra_to not duplicate to much work13:04
pmcgowanin this case there was no "done" so its a bit different13:04
pmcgowanwe cant regress that far13:04
ogra_yeah, i understand13:04
sergiusensogra_: consider us a rolling release :-P13:05
ogra_now yu implanted the blues brothers in my ear again13:05
ogra_.... rollin rollin rollin ...13:05
=== ckpringle_ is now known as ckpringle
steve_fiis there an arm equivalent of the lspci command?13:15
ogra_lshw but you need to suppress walking the pci bus13:15
ogra_or lsusb13:15
ogra_and indeed there is sysfs13:15
steve_fiah yeah13:15
evI can't for the life of me figure out how to make this thing dump core.13:17
ogra_might be that the kernel doesnt allow that ... its an android kernel after all13:17
ogra_and we dont change much in the config13:18
evogra_: yeah, it's starting to seem that way. I did stop debuggerd from spawning, setrlimits to allow unlimited core, and set the core pipe handler appropriately, but no "(core dumped)" portion of the the segfault message13:19
ogra_well, talk to the kernel team ... iirc ppisati just touched the nexus7 kernel, he should roughly know about the config13:20
ogra_i can imagine that android doesnt relly like if your system dumps a core to a limited MMC13:21
cyphermoxfinally, got hci0 on the nexus 4 :D13:24
* ogra_ applauds cyphermox 13:24
cyphermoxogra_: I haven't taken the time to hack what I wanted in phablet-flash though, but I'll possibly do it this morning13:25
=== juicyjones|away is now known as juicyjones
ogra_yeah, no hurry13:25
ogra_better later than buggy ;)13:26
rsalveticyphermox: mind checking if today's image has bt support at nexus 7?13:41
rsalvetijhodapp: today's image should have chromium_http support as well13:45
jhodapprsalveti, awesome, thanks!13:45
=== ckpringle_ is now known as ckpringle
cyphermoxrsalveti: sure13:50
pmcgowanrsalveti: are those manifested somewhere I can see here?13:51
rsalvetipmcgowan: the changelog shows what got updated, but to see in detail you need to check the specific git repository13:52
firered365Is this pretty stable? I understand it is in development but is it good enough?13:52
rsalvetithat's just because the output of repo sync is not that useful13:52
pmcgowanrsalveti: but what can I do with it13:53
pmcgowanthe new stuff13:53
pmcgowanI assume its more embedded than useable13:53
rsalvetipmcgowan: the only thing that might affect you is the bluetooth support at nexus 713:53
rsalvetipmcgowan: the rest is just infra work13:53
pmcgowanI think no way to configure the bt though - no ui yet13:54
rsalvetipmcgowan: yup, you have to use cmd line for everything13:54
JamesMRAre there any good links for getting started with developing on a device?13:58
mterryfginther, didrocks: what's the news on daily-build-next?  Last I remember, platform-api was about to wend its way through the gauntlet13:59
didrocksmterry: you mean, did platform-api built?14:00
ogra_JamesMR, like developer.ubuntu.com/get-started/gomobile/  ?14:01
didrocksmterry: didn't start, it seems the head job is not schedule, did you schedule it when deploying?14:01
mterrydidrocks, well, I know it will fail its build.  I guess did we get far enough to let it?14:01
mterrydidrocks, I thought so?  Maybe not14:01
didrocksmterry: looking at
mterrydidrocks, is there a separate schedule for the whole 'head' suite?  (I know each stack has its schedule)14:02
didrocksno, it's   schedule: 0 3 * * 1-514:02
didrockson the top of the stack14:02
didrocks(this is what is starting "head", which is piloting everything)14:03
didrocksmterry: you did deploy with -U, right?14:03
JamesMRogra_: Almost, the phone app tutorial seems to be out of date though, and I'm trying to get connected to a nexus10, which doesn't seem to want to happen14:04
mterrydidrocks, nope, forgot the -U14:04
didrocksmterry: blame jibel to force -U! I think we should make it default TBH ;)14:04
mterrydidrocks, OK, just did.  So now I'm poking an archive-admin14:05
mhall119hi rox14:05
mhall119what can I help you with14:05
sergiusensogra_: rsalveti pmcgowan for practical purpose, can I call the raring deploy zip s/raring/latest/ or similar for practical purposes?14:06
didrocksmterry: but who? that's the question :p14:06
didrocksmterry: so, yeah, on Monday, it will try now14:06
mterrydidrocks, I'll start a build14:06
didrocksmterry: sure, please do :)14:06
pmcgowansergiusens: not following you14:07
ogra_pmcgowan, same here ...14:07
sergiusensogra_: pmcgowan today the zip is called quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip14:07
sergiusensthe raring one should be called raring-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip14:08
sergiusensI want latest-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip14:08
mterrydidrocks, ah!  we do need bootstrap for this step14:08
ogra_only on cdimage14:08
pmcgowansergiusens: why does it matter?14:08
ogra_sergiusens, http://paste.ubuntu.com/5679820/ ... thats how our desktop images look like on the builder14:09
didrocksmterry: I'll add a sad face in the future to the message ;)14:09
sergiusenspmcgowan: so when we move to S, we don't have to go throug this again14:09
didrockswhen throwing this exception14:09
ogra_sergiusens, these are standard names live-build uses14:09
rsalvetiyeah, maybe we can rename when publishing them as well14:09
ogra_so do something similar witho your builds ...14:09
rsalvetiI like having the series name at the file itself14:10
rsalvetimake it a lot easier to find the series used14:10
ogra_rsalveti, right, that will happen anyway once we build everything on cdimage14:10
ogra_sergiusens, i dont need "latest" in the name, i have it in the jenkins path14:10
ogra_so just call the "thing" ... whatever you like14:10
pmcgowanso just phablet-armhf14:11
ogra_just drop the release name14:11
sergiusensogra_: ack... well I just want something that doesn't have the series in it14:11
pmcgowansergiusens: I dont think preinstalled has any meaning?14:11
ogra_just dont forget to notify me once the content changes ;)14:11
ogra_since my script adds the release14:11
ogra_pmcgowan, it does in the ubuntu world14:12
sergiusenspmcgowan: well with rsalveti we went with a name similar to what was used for the nexus 7 ubuntu image14:12
pmcgowanwhat does it mean here?14:12
ogra_presinstalled vs live vs alternate are image/installation types14:12
ogra_it means there is no installer involved14:12
pmcgowanpre what14:12
pmcgowanI dont care, just not english to me14:12
ogra_at most you have presonalization (oem-config)14:13
ogra_heh, i seem to have something with my fingers14:13
ogra_pre installed14:13
ogra_and personalization indeed :)14:13
pmcgowanif it means soemthing to others I am fine with it14:14
sergiusensogra_: do you copy file per file?14:14
ogra_it has a meaning for people searching stuff on cdimage14:14
sergiusensogra_: or the whole subdir?14:14
ogra_i loop14:14
ogra_one sec14:14
sergiusensogra_: because I can add the raring part creation to the same jenkins job, but not sure it will break your topology14:15
sergiusensso in the end it will be one more file14:15
ogra_sergiusens, http://paste.ubuntu.com/5679847/14:15
ogra_line 49 to 6014:16
ogra_err 6614:16
ogra_i pull by subarch and suffix14:16
rsalvetiawe: looking at https://code.launchpad.net/~awe/phablet-extras/ofono-flatten/+merge/156901, don't you think it'd be good to apply the patches from debian/patches before converting it to native?14:17
awethey should already be applied, if they're not, then our packaging changed between q & r14:18
awelemme check14:18
rsalvetiawe: right, might be indeed14:18
rsalvetiawe: that's why the .pc dir14:18
ogra_sergiusens, if i have some way to distinguish a raring file, just add it ...14:19
rsalvetididrocks: you might be able to help us as well, we are currently developing rild support at ofono, and the way we did before was converting the package to native and doing the development at the bzr branch itself14:19
* awe has too many local ofono branches14:19
rsalvetididrocks: to move to the distro, we need to move the development at somewhere else and create a distro patch every time we update our tree14:19
didrocksrsalveti: was it something part of distro before? We are not the only upstream for it?14:19
didrocksrsalveti: is that something under strong development?14:20
rsalvetididrocks: yes and yes14:20
didrocksrsalveti: is upstream willing to take our distro patches, do they make sense for them?14:20
awedidrocks, not yet14:20
rsalvetiso we're looking in a way to automate the distro patch generation14:20
rsalvetiwe'll try to get them merged soon, but not yet14:21
ogra_sergiusens, call it phablet-next ;)14:21
awedidrocks, almost zero work is being done on ofono in debian or ubuntu14:21
awedidrocks, we just package whatever is the latest and that's about it14:21
awefor touch, we're actively writing code to glue ofono and RILD together14:21
didrocksok, and the packages that are imapcted is ofono itself?14:22
aweand the problem is that if we use the std ubuntu packaging format, the MRs look gross due to working with patches14:22
didrocksyeah, not ideal14:22
rsalvetithat's I'd suggest to push our development in a separated tree14:22
didrocksso the patches are moving a lot I guess14:22
sergiusensogra_: ok, so if I just name it latest-phablet+armhf,zip it will be good14:23
rsalvetithe problem then is how to generate the distro patch easily14:23
awejust our code is moving14:23
ogra_sergiusens, what would latest be now, quantal or raring ?14:23
awersalveti, as I mentioned yesterday, I'd like to wait to split out my code.14:23
aweI'm not sure why it's bad practice for me to continue as is until that happens14:23
sergiusensogra_: raring, but you keep release=quantal and everything will be ok :-)14:24
didrocksawe: so, your patches… are they creating new files/folders or mostly changing existing code?14:24
rsalvetiwe can still work by pushing at the package itself, but once s is open, we'd need a different solution14:24
rsalvetiwhich means, at the end of this month14:24
ogra_well, i was thinking we could put raring on cdimage as well, just next to quantal in the daily ;)14:24
awedidrocks, creating new files, and modifying existing files14:24
awebut mostly in newly developed plugin code14:24
sergiusensawe: I think you are ok, this is forward thinking14:24
didrocksawe: ah, and this plugin needs to be in the same source tree, we can put as much as possible in a separate projects that we own?14:25
aweI also modify the debian/rules and top-level configure to limit the number of plugins built for a touch deployment14:25
ogra_sergiusens, so you can just drop quantal at some point and i can s/quantal/raring/ in my script14:25
didrocksawe: and only distro-patch the part that we need to "glue" it?14:25
awedidrocks, yes... the plan will be to split out all the rild plugin code when we merge back into archive14:25
rsalvetiawe: that's something we'll need to drop before including at the distro14:25
sergiusensogra_: ok, let's _live_ talk about this just to make sure14:25
awedidrocks, however we'll still need to deal with how we deploy to touch vs. desktop14:25
didrockswe can't use your distro patches on desktop?14:26
ogra_sergiusens, i have a call in 514:26
sergiusensogra_: later today or on monday14:26
ogra_and an appointment right afterwards14:26
awethere are some folks who are of the opinion that we just continue the model of installing everything required for all hw14:26
sergiusensogra_: I added a workitem for this.. but we can talk on Monday14:27
didrocksawe: sergiusens: I'm afraid I don't really grasp the whole challenges around it, I think we should talk that live ;)14:27
ogra_or later tonight ...14:28
awedidrocks, sure14:28
sergiusensogra_: sure14:28
didrocksawe: sergiusens: I still have some peer reviews to write, but no worry for today or Monday :)14:28
sergiusensdidrocks: now is ok with me... this is also a constant in PS when creating products so a nice baseline would be good for the future14:28
sergiusensdidrocks: when are peer reviews due14:28
aweawhile ago.  ;)-14:29
didrockssergiusens: tonight? :)14:29
sergiusensdidrocks: :-(14:29
* sergiusens has to write peer reviews as well14:29
* didrocks just has 3 more to do \o/ 7 killed already :)14:29
rsalvetiawe: I'll approve them for now, but we need to come to a different solution by the end of this month14:29
awersalveti, let's make it a topic for the sprint...14:30
awersalveti, I have a work item in the BP for "Investigate splitting out rild ofono code"14:30
didrocksrsalveti: awe: I'm sure we can work out between something with "on demand release and splitting code"14:30
didrocks(on demand daily-release)14:31
awewe might want to change the ofono build to create plugins on disk instead of builtin, then we can dynamically load the correct versions for the hw.14:31
awecurrently ofono builds plugins for every modem under the sun, and links them to the core14:31
didrocksawe: ah, the plugins are statically linked?14:32
aweagain, maybe we leave this as is, but seems inefficient to me14:32
awedidrocks, yes14:32
rsalvetiI think we can leave as is for the moment14:32
didrocksyeah, not really great for a convergence story…14:32
didrocksand loading features "on demand"14:32
rsalvetishouldn't bring any other side effect14:32
awedidrocks, it supports dynamic loading of plugins, but it'll require some re-work of the default package build14:33
awedidrocks, we also have the problem of modem initialization, in that we currently don't support udev in the container, and that requires some package fudging as well14:33
didrocksawe: maybe we should investigate that road and plan for it, it seems to worth it.14:33
aweanyways, I have a TODO in the bp: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/client-1303-telephony-stack14:34
didrocksgreat ;)14:34
didrocksas long as we don't forget about it14:34
aweI'll move the split out Investigation WI to this month14:34
didrocksyep ;)14:34
rsalvetisounds good14:34
awedidrocks, we'll need to deal with all this stuff in order to merge into S, so it'll be hard to forget!14:34
didrocksawe: yeah, I'll chase you to death anyway I guess :-)14:35
rsalvetijezz, downloading latest image at 30kb/s14:41
rsalvetinot fun14:41
rsalvetisergiusens: is it slow for you as well?14:42
sergiusensrsalveti: nope14:42
sergiusenssuper fast14:42
ChickenCutlassrsalveti: I was getting like 10MB/sec14:43
rsalvetiChickenCutlass: hahah14:44
rsalvetilet me kick my router14:45
=== salem_ is now known as _salem
=== _salem is now known as salem_
=== juicyjones is now known as juicyjones|away
=== dandrader is now known as dandrader|afk
rsalvetia bit faster, still slow =\14:52
=== dandrader|afk is now known as dandrader|lunch
johnjohn101i want to buy a galaxy tab.  will ubuntu be ported to that?14:56
rsalvetiricmm: jhodapp: bfiller: sync?15:01
jhodapprsalveti, coming in a min, finishing a meeting15:01
bfillerrsalveti: 2 meeting conflicts today15:01
rsalvetibfiller: np15:01
=== Lloir is now known as Lloir|away
mterryI've got a bevy of tiny updates that would help with daily-releasing if people are inclined:15:11
=== aaa_ is now known as Guest33945
johnjohn101is there a list of devices, that i will be able to load ubuntu touch on?15:16
mterryxnox, is qtubuntu-sensors ready for daily-release?15:17
mterryxnox, test wise and all that/15:17
pmcgowanmterry: its in the build now, rsalveti might no its test support15:26
mterryfginther, where is -ci config info stored?  Is that in cupstream2distro-config?15:58
fginthermterry, yes, the ci/ directory contains the tools and the templates, etc15:59
mterrydidrocks, can I get a quick review on https://code.launchpad.net/~mterry/platform-api/bootstrap/+merge/15738716:04
didrocksmterry: how would I dare telling no to you? :)16:05
didrocksmterry: approved16:05
mterrydidrocks, thanks!16:06
oSoMoNbfiller: we definitely switched to the new SDK, right, so the fallback dependency in control files (qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-ui-toolkit-plugin | qt-components-ubuntu) is not needed anymore?16:19
bfilleroSoMoN: right16:19
=== ckpringle_ is now known as ckpringle
=== francisco is now known as Guest49443
=== dandrader|lunch is now known as dandrader
=== Lexmazter_ is now known as Lexmazter
oSoMoNmhall119: hey, who do you think could review https://code.launchpad.net/~osomon/ubuntu-phone-commons/appTemplate-packaging-fixes/+merge/157077 ?17:07
VibhuAnyone from UBUNTU Touch team ..17:13
nik90oSoMoN: so the control file do we just use qt-components-ubuntu or qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-ui-toolkit-plugin?17:18
nik90oSoMoN: I need this for the clock app17:18
oSoMoNnik90: only qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-ui-toolkit-plugin17:19
nik90oSoMoN: thnx17:19
mhall119nik90: depends on the version of Ubuntu17:19
mhall119Quantal has qt-components-ubuntu, Raring and the future have the other17:20
nik90mhall119: so isnt it safe to use qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-ui-toolkit-plugin | qt-components-ubuntu since users will be trying it out both an quantal and raring?17:21
nik90or did you mean the daily build image (which is now only based on raring)?17:22
mhall119nik90: it should be safe to use |17:22
mhall119nik90: I have it on my TODO to make that change on all the core apps, I also have an MP from oSoMoN that fixes other things too17:23
nik90mhall119: I have proposed a MP for clock core app which fixes the debian control, rules file and add licensing headers to all qml files17:23
nik90that's why i asked17:23
oSoMoNmhall119: the daily image now has qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-ui-toolkit-plugin, so I think it’s safe to remove the fallback option, except for people developing on desktop quantal of course17:24
nik90oSoMoN: well I am developing on 12.04 actually :P17:24
mhall119oSoMoN: it does no harm to keep supporting both for now17:24
oSoMoNmhall119: true17:25
oSoMoNI’ll revert that change then17:25
oSoMoNmhall119: done (reverted)17:27
=== salem_ is now known as _salem
jcastrooSoMoN: so I assume I'm pretty much waiting for upstream webkit for bug 112933?17:31
ubot5bug 112933 in VCSFrenzy "View recently reported changes" [Wishlist,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/11293317:31
jcastro(upstream bug, not launchpad)17:32
oSoMoNjcastro: yeah, I want to look into it myself, but it’s not anywhere near the top of my list :/17:32
jcastrono worries17:33
oSoMoNjcastro: and since someone assigned it to himself, I was kinda hoping it would be solved quickly, but I haven’t seen any update yet17:33
=== _salem is now known as salem_
rsalvetiwe just need some better icons for the core apps17:43
rsalvetibut quite cool that some are already integrated17:43
=== salem_ is now known as _salem
=== _salem is now known as salem_
pmcgowanlooks like 60 was a test build18:17
=== dandrader is now known as dandrader|afk
=== dandrader|afk is now known as dandrader
nik90does anyone here know where the ubuntu phone showcase components demos are stored? I would like to look at them for reference purposes19:21
pmcgowannik90: /usr/lib/ubuntu-ui-toolkit/demos19:23
nik90pmcgowan: thnx19:25
=== Ursinha_ is now known as Ursinha
mhall119pmcgowan: rsalveti: are we pulling core apps packages from the daily PPA for every new image build now?19:45
rsalvetimhall119: for the ones we're including, yes19:45
mhall119cool, thanks19:45
pmcgowanmhall119: I told popey if we get a few more reviewed we can add them too19:46
mhall119pmcgowan: ok19:47
pmcgowanmhall119: have you started collecting other apps as well? I know that was the plan, to create another PPA for them?19:55
pmcgowanlike apps-universe19:55
mhall119pmcgowan: that's still the plan, but popey and I haven't started yet19:55
mhall119chances are we're going to need to provide packaging assistance to the develoeprs19:56
Captain_Protonis anyone here using ubuntu touch (phone) as a daily driver19:56
pmcgowanmhall119: check with bzoltan on that, he may be working on some support19:56
Captain_Protonis sms working now?20:01
Captain_Protonguess not lol20:02
mhall119YouTube app meeting in #ubuntu-touch-meeting, any developers on this app please join20:05
rsalvetiCaptain_Proton: depends on the phone used20:07
rsalvetiat galaxy nexus and nexus 4 you can do sms and phone calls just fine20:07
Captain_ProtonOk then thanks a few more month then :)20:09
mhall119jhodapp: can you jump into #ubuntu-touch-meeting?20:19
jhodappmhall119, can't today unfortunately20:24
mhall119jhodapp: ok, we're just going to need some help/advice on the YouTube app for video playback20:25
jhodappmhall119, ok...feel free to compose a list of questions and I'd be happy to answer them later20:26
mhall119Terminal app meeting in #ubuntu-touch-meeting, anybody involved in the project please join20:28
cyphermoxrsalveti: ok, got bluetooth to work on the mako, patches sent on the mailing list20:51
cyphermoxall you need with this is to "setprop bluetooth.hciattach true" to start it, and ... stop to stop it20:51
cyphermoxwe can rename the property itself and make the bttest hack on grouper to use the same property name, later20:52
cyphermoxso that way when UI needs to enable/disable bluetooth it can hopefully be done via the property, for example20:52
=== salem_ is now known as _salem
RobbyFxnox, did you get that raring build working?21:36
RobbyFhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ_iIZg4Xbw&feature=player_embedded < looks sexy21:37
=== bschaefer_ is now known as bschaefer
wade|shullok one more reinstall before I give up21:52
RobbyFwhat ya up to wade|shull ?22:02
wade|shulloh I can't get the components to work correctly on my system22:02
wade|shullvery frustrating22:02
wade|shullso close to finishing app and now nothing works22:02
wade|shulldid a system update and now the tabs components doesn't work correctly22:03
wade|shullvery new to ubuntu22:03
wade|shullvery lost22:03
RobbyFI dont know much about taht.22:03
wade|shullI watched your clip22:04
wade|shullwhat device did you load it on?22:04
RobbyFthat was nexus 422:04
RobbyFnot my clip though.22:04
wade|shulloh man I need to get one22:04
RobbyFI have a nexus for but  using it as daily device, I'm using galaxy nexus for preview stuff22:05
wade|shullahhh, guess I just might wait for first official advice22:05
wade|shulldo you like the nexus as a daily device?22:06
RobbyFya nexus 4 is pretty awesome.22:06
wade|shullwhat carrier do you use?22:06
wade|shullhmm where do you live?22:07
wade|shullI am not familiar with Rogers22:07
wade|shullahh cool cool22:07
daniingeis ubuntu touch avalible for xperia acro s?22:18
RobbyFdaniinge, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices22:19
RobbyFI see xperia S22:20
RobbyFI get the feeling there not the same.22:20
daniingeIt is mostly the same22:21
daniingeit has the same OS22:21
daniingeit just has some other specs22:21
daniingebut how do i install it? ^^22:21
RobbyFit most likely won't work if it's not the same device.22:22
RobbyFI'm not sure how to install those, there are probably instructions inside the link22:22
daniingecant find any good guides22:23
wade|shullthere is that, I don't know if it will help, I haven't tried to port it yet22:26
wade|shullsorry copied wrong link22:26
daniingeThanks :)22:27
wade|shullI wish there was for a n95022:33
wade|shullgot one here that I would love to turn into a ubuntu touch device22:33
=== XenGi is now known as XenGi_
=== XenGi_ is now known as XenGi
wade|shullany qml ubuntu touch components specialists around?22:57

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!