freeflyinghi all12:00
ubottuPING! beuno, cjohnston, cyphermox, Destine, ejat, head_victim, hggdh, IdleOne, iulian, micahg, n0rman, Pendulum, PabloRubienes. Meeting time.12:04
jaredHmmm that might need updating as well12:04
=== cjohnston_ is now known as cjohnston
Pendulumthat definitely needs updating12:05
=== eleanor is now known as Destine
* cjohnston yawns12:06
PendulumRight, we have quorum so let's go :)12:06
meetingologyMeeting started Wed Apr 17 12:06:58 2013 UTC.  The chair is Pendulum. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.12:06
meetingologyAvailable commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired12:06
* Destine is here.12:07
PendulumWelcome to the April 17, 2013 12:00 Membership Board Meeting. When I call your name please introduce yourself including links to your launchpad and wiki pages.12:08
PendulumAs a reminder, only board members may vote on applications, but people are welcome to cheer for applicants they support when that applicants application is being evaluated.12:09
Pendulum#voters Pendulum, Destine, micahg, jared, freeflying12:10
meetingologyCurrent voters: Destine Pendulum freeflying jared micahg12:10
PendulumAlso, I'd like to welcome freeflying as one of the newest members of the membership board :)12:10
Pendulumpietro98-albini: are you here?12:10
freeflyingPendulum: thanks12:11
pietro98-albiniPendulum, yes12:11
Pendulum#topic Pietro Albini's Application for Membership12:11
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Pietro Albini's Application for Membership
Pendulumpietro98-albini: please introduce yourself :)12:11
pietro98-albiniHello everybody, sorry for my bad english :)12:11
pietro98-albiniI'm Pietro Albini, a 14 years old italian boy12:12
pietro98-albiniI started to contribute to the Ubuntu community in may 2012, into the Italian LoCoTeam12:12
pietro98-albiniI manage the Ubuntu italian LoCoTeam website (http://www.ubuntu-it.org/) since may 201212:13
pietro98-albiniI made a lot of pages in the website, and with new Ubuntu release I release new site brand12:14
pietro98-albiniI had the Ubuntu italian LoCoTeam membership since january, and since march I write for the LoCoTeam newsletter12:15
pietro98-albiniWhen I've some free time I triage some bugs (very few)12:15
jaredThanks for the introduction, we're just reading over your application12:16
jaredIs there anyone here to cheer pietro98-albini ?12:16
pietro98-albinijared, i don't finish yet12:16
jaredSorry, please continue12:16
pietro98-albiniThe italian LoCoTeam is going to launch a new support system (the italian version of askubuntu) and I help to realize it12:17
pietro98-albiniProbably I will admin or mod12:17
* pietro98-albini finished12:18
* wickedpuppy claps , very good intro pietro98-albini , well done!12:18
smartboyhwErm I always appreciate (or push) teenage contributors to get Ubuntu membership, and I think pietro98-albini deserves it:)12:19
* smartboyhw is same-aged as pietro98-albini after all.12:19
jaredpietro98-albini: you mention that most of your contributions are to your loco but launchpad shows you only joined in January this year, is that correct?12:19
smartboyhwjared, um that's a bit different (if you look at Launchpad)12:20
pietro98-albinijared, Ubuntu Italian LoCoTeam have two teams, ~ubuntu-it with all contributors, and ~ubuntu-it-members with members12:20
pietro98-albinipietro98-albini, I entered in ~ubuntu-it when I entered in ~ubuntu-it-www, and I entered in ~ubuntu-it-members in january12:21
* pietro98-albini finished12:21
* pietro98-albini cannot use correctly quoting12:22
Pendulumpietro98-albini: is there anyone around who could come cheer in support of you and how long you've been working other that the person who wrote your wiki testimonial?12:23
pietro98-albinihallino1 ?12:23
jaredI just don't know what is involved in the other items you have listed on the wiki (other than the newsletter posts) and without more testimonials it's difficult to know how involved it is.12:24
warp10I'd like to speak in favor of Pietro. I met him within the Italian LocoTeam, and despite his age I have been impressed by his skills. I definitely recommend Pietro for the membership12:30
micahgwarp10: can you speak to his level of contribution in the past before January?12:31
warp10micahg: sure, I met him in person during the ubuntu-it meeting in october 2012 (and he was already active in the community)12:32
PendulumI think we're ready to vote12:32
almaidinajadI'd like to speak in favor of Pietro, too. I work with him in the Italian team that is responsible for the website. He never stop of working and everytime I'm in trouble there he is. I reccomend Pietro for the membership.12:32
meetingologyPlease vote on:12:33
meetingologyPublic votes can be registered by saying +1, +0 or -1 in channel, (private votes don't work yet, but when they do it will be by messaging the channel followed by +1/-1/+0 to me)12:33
Pendulum+0 I'd really like to see you come back in a couple months with more testimonials for how long you've been contributing.12:34
jared+0 I would like to see more detail about the sustained contributions to the Italian Loco website. I'm unable to see much activity earlier than January and there is very little detail in the small number of testimonials.12:34
Destine+0 more testimonials would be better.12:35
freeflying+0 if coming with more testimonials would make the application more persuasive12:36
meetingologyNo vote in progress12:36
jaredpietro98-albini: I don't think we're saying you haven't contributed but it's hard for us to determine with the application as it currently is. If you'd like to hang around after the meeting we can provide more specific pointers but essentially, we need to be able to easily identify significant and sustained contributions.12:37
Pendulumnext applicant. warren-hill are you around?12:37
warren-hillHere: launchpad https://launchpad.net/~warren-hill, Wiki https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Warren-Hill12:37
warren-hillI'm a design engineer. I develop embedded systems12:37
Pendulum#topic Warren Hill's application for Membership12:37
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Warren Hill's application for Membership
warren-hillI'm mainly active on the Luaunchpad Ubuntu Answers site and I have found and confirmed a few bugs, but can be found on AskUbuntu, and occasionally Ubuntu forums too.12:38
warren-hillIn Launchpad I'm currently 11th for karma on Ubuntu overall and 3rd for answers12:38
warren-hillMore rarely I'm here in #ubuntu trying to help out.12:38
warren-hillWhat else do you want to know?12:38
jaredwarren-hill: we'll just read over and ask some questions :) Good work on the multiple testimonials from existing community members btw.12:39
jaredwarren-hill: so your design engineering I assume is not for Canonical?12:40
warren-hillNo I develop electronic test equipment.  Some Linux based but most no OS12:41
jaredwarren-hill: no worries, just checking. I know they work on that stuff to a degree.12:41
warren-hillIf interested this is the sort of equipment I work on12:42
wickedpuppycan I ask what programming language is used? Assembly?12:43
warren-hillA mix of ARM assembly and C mainly, but some DSP assembly too12:44
freeflyingwarren-hill: why are you on the no-canonical team? just curious :)12:44
warren-hillyou mean not canonical? Just because in the past some people have assumed I am a Conanical employee on Launchpad12:45
freeflyingwarren-hill: ic, thanks12:46
jaredwarren-hill: I've had a browse through your answers and read the testimonials, thanks for that.12:47
jaredwarren-hill: on a side note, how do you find the state of LP answers these days?12:47
warren-hillGenerally OK why12:47
jaredwarren-hill: just curious, there were those who thought it declined a little when askubuntu came around, etc.12:48
warren-hillYou get some poor questions but then many people are new.  AskUbuntu can be intimidating to some users as they can get told there is already an answer when they need more hand holding12:49
PendulumOkay, I think we're ready to vote12:49
warren-hillMy AskUbuntu page is here http://askubuntu.com/users/107450/warren-hill12:49
Pendulum#vote Voting on Membership for Warren Hill12:49
meetingologyPlease vote on: Voting on Membership for Warren Hill12:49
meetingologyPublic votes can be registered by saying +1, +0 or -1 in channel, (private votes don't work yet, but when they do it will be by messaging the channel followed by +1/-1/+0 to me)12:49
Pendulum+1 keep up the good work!12:50
meetingology+1 keep up the good work! received from Pendulum12:50
meetingology+1 received from Destine12:50
freeflying+1 please keep the great job :)12:50
meetingology+1 please keep the great job :) received from freeflying12:50
jared+1 Good testimonials, keep up the good work12:50
meetingology+1 Good testimonials, keep up the good work received from jared12:50
meetingologyVoting ended on: Voting on Membership for Warren Hill12:51
meetingologyVotes for:4 Votes against:0 Abstentions:012:51
meetingologyMotion carried12:51
Pendulumwarren-hill: congratulations and welcome!12:51
warren-hillthank you12:51
Pendulum#topic Billy Aung Myint's application for membership12:52
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Billy Aung Myint's application for membership
wickedpuppythats me12:52
Pendulumwickedpuppy: Please introduce yourself :)12:52
wickedpuppylet me intro . thanks Pendulum12:52
wickedpuppyHi everyone , I am 30 years old male in Singapore12:53
wickedpuppyI started using Ubuntu in late 2005 ,12:53
wickedpuppyI am one of the initiators of Ubuntu-SG loco team and administrator of the team @ launchpad12:54
wickedpuppyI am also irc admin for #ubuntu-sg ( /msg chanserv access #ubuntu-sg list )12:55
wickedpuppyI am also moderator for Ubuntu-SG loco subforum on ubuntuforums.org12:55
wickedpuppyI am also mailing list administrator12:56
wickedpuppyI am also the facebook page administrator12:56
wickedpuppyyou can see me there12:56
wickedpuppyI am also the web and domain administrator of ubuntu.sg12:57
jaredSimilar to the first applicant at the meeting, I'm struggled to be able to determine the significant and sustained contributions required to be a member. It's not that you haven't possibly done that but there isn't enough information available for me to draw that conclusion.12:57
wickedpuppySorry but being administrator and maintainer for local community isn't contributing enough?12:58
jaredwickedpuppy: depends on the local community, if you can get some of the members to provide information on your contributions and length that would be the sort of thing I'd be looking for.12:59
wickedpuppyjared: we only have less than 200 members12:59
wickedpuppyonly one ubuntu member , hyperair12:59
wickedpuppywe nearly died12:59
wickedpuppywe have just revived recently and are trying to get more members to the team13:00
jaredwickedpuppy: I'm not suggestion they all need to :) Just with loco contributions it's really hard to guage involvement without some testimonials13:00
wickedpuppyI agreed. after all I could be hiding in the basement after registering the group13:01
PendulumTHey also don't need to be from ubuntu members. It helps if they're ubuntu members, but we do consider all testimonials.13:01
wickedpuppythen I think my chance are essentially 0. everyone would be too busy to come to irc even13:02
jaredwickedpuppy: hyperair wouldn't be able to add a quick note to your wiki page?13:02
jaredA couple of the others wouldn't be able to do the same?13:02
* wickedpuppy spanks hyperair 13:02
wickedpuppysay something13:02
PendulumTestimonials don't need to be in English, btw.13:02
jaredGday hyperair , we're trying to ascertain wickedpuppy's contributions for Ubuntu Membership13:02
wickedpuppylol .. something like wo ai ni :P13:02
=== qwerty is now known as Guest4994
jaredThey currently have no testimonials so I was saying it's hard to guage significant and sustained contributions to a loco without some sort of testimonial13:03
hyperairPendulum: yeah well, i don't speak any other language as good.13:03
warren-hillThey should not need to come on irc. Take a look at my wiki page can't you get a few users who know you to say similarly complementary things?13:03
hyperairwell, what can i say, when i came to singapore, wickedpuppy was the ubuntu-sg team leader13:03
Pendulumhyperair: I menat that more in general about testimonials :)13:04
hyperairhe led us for the SFD preparations since 200813:04
wickedpuppywarren-hill: if they have wiki page account i would be very surprised ... Singapore team has less than 200 members in facebook and less than 20 active members13:04
hyperairwickedpuppy: well standard operating procedure for applying for membership -> wikipage writeup with testimonials.13:05
wickedpuppyhyperair: i know .. but you also know that would mean asking people to register for accounts13:05
* hyperair went through it for my MOTU application as well.13:05
jaredwickedpuppy: they can also send emails to the membership board if they would prefer13:05
hyperairyeah well, can't be helped.13:05
PendulumAlso, if any of them want to continue to contribute long enough to become members themselves, they'll need the wiki account eventually.13:06
jaredwickedpuppy: or, if you have write ups of the SFD events you organised, providing links to those on your wiki page. Along with other links of events that you've helped organise, run, attended, etc13:06
wickedpuppyPendulum: they are not interested13:06
wickedpuppyWe just had a meetup with Jouni Helminen13:07
wickedpuppyone of the lead designers of Ubuntu Touch13:07
wickedpuppyguess how many came?13:07
wickedpuppyless than 3013:07
wickedpuppyand mostly none ubuntu-sg members13:07
jaredwickedpuppy: it's not the number that's important. It's the effort involved. I have had less than 20 attend release parties myself.13:08
wickedpuppythat is on facebook13:08
wickedpuppyjared: we havn't have any release parties for ... actually we never had13:08
hyperairwe had once13:09
hyperairmany years ago13:09
hyperairchew hosted it13:09
hyperairyou were there...13:09
hyperairwait, were you?13:09
hyperairi remember heidir13:09
wickedpuppyno idea13:09
hyperairokay if you don't remember then you probably weren't there.13:09
hyperairwe also had an ubuntu-sg release party at NTU under the NTUOSS13:09
jaredwickedpuppy: I'm just using that as an example though. I'm just saying it's difficult for use to gauge the required significant and sustained contributions when there is just a description of what you've done.13:09
wickedpuppyjared: I understand. I am not saying its unfair. I am just saying it would be almost impossible.13:10
wickedpuppywell I think in that case the conclusion seems to be foregone. Perhaps I will try again future13:12
wickedpuppyPendulum: pls13:12
warren-hillThere may be another option testimonials can be e-mailed to: ubuntu-membership-boards@lists.ubuntu.com  according to this page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership.  So users don't need a Wiki page to let the board know how good you are13:13
warren-hillbut they still need testimonials13:13
hyperairi think we need some of the older members to come out and talk about wickedpuppy.13:13
Pendulumwickedpuppy: we'd like to see you come back with more testimonials and more links to show what you've done. I'd suggest talking to hyperair since he's been through the process.13:13
jaredhyperair: even some links to recent events/efforts/etc13:13
wickedpuppyPendulum: thanks13:13
wickedpuppyjared: Thanks too!13:13
Pendulumwe really do want you to come back when you have more info for us. We just don't have enough as is to make a decision :)13:13
* hyperair was pretty new to the team -- we only met less than 10 times before the team more or less died out.13:13
hyperairthen we came back once a year for software freedom day13:14
hyperairbut last year the SFD committee disappeared13:14
PendulumOkay, we're over time so I'm going to end the meeting.13:14
PendulumThank you everyone for coming13:14
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology
meetingologyMeeting ended Wed Apr 17 13:14:48 2013 UTC.13:14
meetingologyMinutes (wiki):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-04-17-12.06.moin.txt13:14
meetingologyMinutes (html):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-04-17-12.06.html13:14
ActionParsnipwarren-hill: congrats dude13:19
* wickedpuppy congrats warren-hill too13:19
smartboyhwwarren-hill, congrats:)13:19
jaredwickedpuppy: sorry we couldn't approve but we need to be able to see significant and sustained contributions as per the application information. I'd recommend trying to find links of events or other contributions and adding it to your page as well as trying to get a few people to give you a testimonial (via wiki or email).13:20
wickedpuppyjared: i don't know how to say ,13:21
wickedpuppythe last time there was some kind of event was in 200913:21
wickedpuppythen the team sort of died13:21
wickedpuppyso all the info are lost13:21
wickedpuppythe only thing I left is the domain13:21
wickedpuppyand I had to ask every council for my accounts back13:21
wickedpuppyirc , ubuntuforum , so on13:22
smartboyhwwickedpuppy, the problem I think is tie *sustainable* thing13:22
smartboyhwwickedpuppy, when did it revive?13:22
wickedpuppysmartboyhw: with 5 min population with half of them foreigners , including me , substaining anything in Singapore is hopeless13:23
smartboyhwwickedpuppy, eh. Maybe you should go for other contributions in the Ubuntu community....13:23
wickedpuppysmartboyhw: this year , some people email me saying there is activity13:23
wickedpuppysmartboyhw: and risk losing the team if the admins are lost again?13:24
wickedpuppyNick was lost13:24
wickedpuppyhe was the team owner on launchpad , we had to ask the council to add back our active members as admin13:25
smartboyhwwickedpuppy, council = LoCo Council. Right?13:25
wickedpuppysame for irc admin account13:25
wickedpuppybasically the only thing left was the domain ubuntu.sg13:25
wickedpuppyI kept registering and mailing list13:26
smartboyhwwickedpuppy, I'm an idiot in LoCo business (indeed, I never joined my LoCo in HK or the LUG or the Open Source community)13:26
smartboyhwIt will be hard to sustain a team13:26
smartboyhwEspecially when your country or region is small.13:26
wickedpuppyHK still got locals13:27
wickedpuppySingapore is hard to find one13:27
wickedpuppyI think we both know13:27
czajkowskiwickedpuppy: if you want the loco council can help, drop us a line or me and I can follow up later on13:27
czajkowskicurrently in the middle of work but will gladly help in any way we can13:27
wickedpuppyczajkowski: We got all the admins back thanks to every councils there is13:27
wickedpuppyirc too .. it was you right? tm_t too13:27
wickedpuppyanyways it was a great experience and everyone really was great13:29
wickedpuppyno regret. At least I tried.13:29
wickedpuppymuch harder part is trying to find the agenda for next meetup for ubuntu-sg13:29
smartboyhwwickedpuppy, I really suggest you to try to advocate Ubuntu first:)13:30
wickedpuppysmartboyhw: nearly 8 years isn't enough?13:31
wickedpuppysmartboyhw: to put into perspective , LUGS ( Linux User Group of Singapore ) founded in 1994 by Red Hat country manager , was never more than 1000 members strong.13:32
wickedpuppyI know because I was their executive committee member too ... a long time back13:33
wickedpuppythats the biggest Linux group in Singapore13:33
wickedpuppyits hard to pull people in13:35
wickedpuppyone reason is Singapore works long hours13:35
wickedpuppyMy day starts at 6:45 am till 8 pm13:35
wickedpuppyin fact I was having dinner while the first person was doing intro13:35
wickedpuppyand I am on 24/7 standby .. which is pretty standard for sg13:36
wickedpuppyeh ah just to brag about how long I usually work , here is a article http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/asia/singapore/2010/01/12/240437/Survey-finds.htm13:39
* wickedpuppy stop ranting ... sorry!!!13:41
jaredwickedpuppy: no worries at all, (it's midnight here and I'm still studying for my assessment after starting work at 8am).13:42
wickedpuppyjared: then high 513:42
wickedpuppyI just finished my part-time degree final exam last night13:42
wickedpuppythankfully i won't have go back to school13:43
wickedpuppyand hopefully will get a better job13:43
jaredwickedpuppy: nice work, I'm 10 modules into a 24 module master's degree so heaps more school for me.13:43
wickedpuppyso much modules? not MBA?13:43
jaredYeah, MBA13:44
wickedpuppyMBA with so many modules ... 1 year MBA ?13:44
jaredNo, 2 subjects at a time it's 2 years, 1 at a time it's 413:44
jaredThey modules are 2 months each.13:45
wickedpuppyno kidding ... so long.13:45
jaredYep and all for 3 little letters at the end of your name :P13:45
wickedpuppyLOL... no not lol , MBA13:46
wickedpuppyso many things to do , so little time13:47
=== hggdh_ is now known as hggdh
=== wickedpuppy is now known as wickedpuppyZzzz
* slangasek waves15:01
stokachu(>';')> <(';'<) <( ';' )>15:01
meetingologyMeeting started Wed Apr 17 15:01:17 2013 UTC.  The chair is slangasek. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.15:01
meetingologyAvailable commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired15:01
slangasek[TOPIC] lightning round15:02
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: lightning round
slangasek$ echo $(shuf -e barry doko stgraber jodh ev bdmurray slangasek ogra cjwatson xnox stokachu)15:02
slangasekxnox stokachu doko bdmurray stgraber jodh ev barry slangasek ogra cjwatson15:02
* xnox win.15:02
xnox* commited symbols tracking for C++ touch stack for daily landing15:03
xnox  https://code.launchpad.net/~xnox/platform-api/hybris-symbols/+merge/15887815:03
xnox  https://code.launchpad.net/~xnox/qtubuntu-sensors/symbols/+merge/15888415:03
xnox  dpkg-gensymbols "(c++)" tag is awesome15:03
xnox* Fully build pyqt4 against qt5 in a PPA:15:03
xnox  Now needs a strategy for packages naming & coinstallability with15:03
xnox  pyqt4 build against qt4. Both use same namespace.15:03
xnox* Forwarded ubuntu-one ubiquity plugin screenshots to design for15:03
xnox  review (as per request from john lea)15:03
xnox* utah ISO image static validations fixes:15:03
xnox  - merged lp:~xnox/utah/test-server-squashfs15:03
xnox  - merged lp:~xnox/utah/wubi-is-in-raring15:03
xnox  - merged lp:~xnox/qa-regression-testing/sb-make-pem-certs-115:03
xnox  - Figured out with jdstrand how to verify linux-signed-image15:03
xnox  signatures, still todo write the utah checks for it. At the moment15:03
xnox  have a branch that shim & grub efi boot images are present, that GPT15:03
xnox  partition table exists & uefi boot images are present.15:03
xnox  - lp:~xnox/ubuntu-test-cases/desktop merged & setup to automatically15:03
xnox  test LVM2 daily desktop installs in jenkins15:03
xnox* openssl sru re-published15:03
xnox* Wrote a dh_acc addon to generate & compare api/abi library dumps15:03
xnox  using abi-compliance-checker. Contacted tedg for early testing &15:03
xnox  debian maintainers to include it in debian packaging.15:03
xnox* Merged wubi merge-proposals, planning to test quickly proposed changes in a VM.15:04
xnoxs/have a branch that/have a branch that checks/15:04
stokachu- no bugs on fire this week15:04
stokachu- looking for sponsor =) on http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=70519215:04
stokachu- setup test ppa for OP on bug 1169740, waiting on feedback before posting SRU15:04
stokachu- i think bug 1094496 was somewhat verified but curious if I should wait for tester to re-test at their work environment where memory leak was seen. (re: #15)15:04
ubottuDebian bug 705192 in sponsorship-requests "RFS: sosreport/2.3+git20130416-1 ITP" [Wishlist,Open]15:04
ubottubug 1169740 in rsyslog (Ubuntu Raring) "rsyslog hangs loading modules" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/116974015:04
ubottubug 1094496 in gnome-keyring (Ubuntu Precise) "gnome-keyring-daemon leaks memory" [High,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/109449615:04
* xnox also helped with a bug around pre-seeding grub-installer...15:04
doko- GCC 4.6.4 and 4.7.3 releases, backports to precise and lucid (well lucid wasn'15:06
dokot necessary)15:06
doko- autopkgtests for python2.7 and python3.3. submit upstream issues about tests f15:06
dokoailing in the installed test environment15:06
doko- icedtea-web update15:06
doko- buildd watch ... test rebuild is now finished after 16 days15:06
doko- fix some more build failures15:06
doko- look into build failures with updated ecj, fixed openjdk so far. don't think t15:06
dokohat I can fix the other three ones15:06
dokoand starting with openjdk security updates again ...15:06
bdmurraybug triage of ubiquity / upgrade bugs15:07
bdmurrayescalation regarding th mirror - bug 116829915:07
bdmurraysearched for duplicates of bug 116314215:07
bdmurrayretested bug 116044115:07
bdmurrayresearch into bug 105888415:07
ubottubug 1168299 in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu) "Can't upgrade to raring: libvisio download fails with Forbidden" [Undecided,Invalid] https://launchpad.net/bugs/116829915:07
ubottubug 1163142 in aptdaemon (Ubuntu) "Hangs when "preconfiguring packages" at the installation of a language" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/116314215:07
ubottubug 1160441 in ubiquity (Ubuntu Raring) "Calendar is still in English despite French is selected as the Language during the installation" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/116044115:07
ubottubug 1058884 in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu) "do-release-upgrade crashed with EOFError in /usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/check-new-release: EOF read where not expected" [Low,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/105888415:07
bdmurrayuploaded fix for release upgrader bug 116634615:07
bdmurrayuploaded fix for apport bug 116812615:07
bdmurraysetup error tracker in canonistack again15:07
bdmurraymerge proposal for an errors api call for srcversionbuckets15:07
bdmurrayworked on a branch to backfill the srcversionbuckets column family15:07
ubottubug 1166346 in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu) "do-release-upgrade 12.04 to 12.10 gives fatal error" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/116634615:07
ubottubug 1168126 in apport (Ubuntu) "ubiquity package hook sends too many bugs to grub-installer" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/116812615:07
bdmurraycode reviews for evan15:07
bdmurraySRU review of python-gnutls for P and Q15:07
bdmurraymodified SRU report to show removal candidates15:07
bdmurrayresearch into update-notifier's reboot notification and derivatives using update-notifier's tray applet15:07
bdmurray⌁ done15:07
evthanks for the reviews15:08
slangasekstokachu: bug #1094496> that's not a complete verification, the commenter hasn't confirmed the lack of leak in an environment where the leak is proven to happen15:09
ubottubug 1094496 in gnome-keyring (Ubuntu Precise) "gnome-keyring-daemon leaks memory" [High,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/109449615:09
barrybdmurray: yeah, i still can't wrap my head around what's causing bug 105888415:09
ubottubug 1058884 in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu) "do-release-upgrade crashed with EOFError in /usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/check-new-release: EOF read where not expected" [Low,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/105888415:09
stokachuslangasek: ok ill ping Hein again and see if they've had a chance to do so15:09
slangasek(commented on the bug)15:09
stokachuslangasek: ah you're fast15:09
bdmurraybarry: I'd mentioned including or saving dmesg from the upgrade process, what do you think?15:10
slangasekbdmurray: so you retested bug #1160441 and it's "triaged", I guess that means the bug still exists after testing?15:11
ubottubug 1160441 in ubiquity (Ubuntu Raring) "Calendar is still in English despite French is selected as the Language during the installation" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/116044115:11
barrybdmurray: i guess my main question is: if this is a reading-pyc-file race condition, then what other processes are running at the same time?15:11
bdmurrayslangasek: correct15:11
slangasekjodh: ah, you're up, no stgraber today15:11
barrybdmurray: do you think the dmesg output would tell us that?15:11
jodh* blueprints:15:12
jodh  - foundations-r-upstart-user-session-enhancements:15:12
jodh    - Updated lp:~jamesodhunt/upstart/python-upstart-module as results15:12
jodh      of barrys excellent review (awaiting feedback from any of the devs).15:12
jodh* boot:15:12
jodh  - upstart:15:12
jodh    - bug 1157713: fixed and raised MP on15:12
ubottubug 1157713 in upstart "upstart tests which run without inotify fail occasionally" [Undecided,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/115771315:12
jodh      lp:~jamesodhunt/upstart/bug-1157713-inotify-test-failures15:12
jodh      (awaiting feedback).15:12
jodh    - bug 1124384: continued investigations.15:12
ubottubug 1124384 in cloud-init (Ubuntu) "reload-configuration can confuse upstart" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/112438415:12
bdmurraybarry: no, I was thinking that'd be useful for hardware issues15:12
evGo get a ☕, this is going to be a long one.15:12
barrybdmurray: it's probably a good idea then, if nothing else, to rule h/w issues out15:13
barryev: ping me when you're done. :)15:13
ev- Verified that we successfully back-populated the FirstError and ErrorsByDate15:13
ev  data for bug 1077122 in:15:13
ev  http://rt.admin.canonical.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=6020515:13
ev- Made a first pass at weighting the average errors per calendar day (jsfiddle15:13
ev  is wonderful, by the way):15:13
ev  http://jsfiddle.net/Ra4xT/1/15:13
ev  http://paste.ubuntu.com/5697852/15:13
ubottubug 1077122 in Errors "Machine weighted at 100% 89 days after last report, 0% 90 days after" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/107712215:13
ev- Code review for Brian:15:13
ev  https://code.launchpad.net/~brian-murray/errors/newbuckets/+merge/15824415:13
ev- Followed up on the backfill of SourceVersionBuckets CF for Brian:15:13
ev  https://rt.admin.canonical.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=6073215:13
ev- Bug fixes for https://errors.ubuntu.com:15:13
ev  - https://bugs.launchpad.net/errors/+bug/116784915:13
ev  - https://bugs.launchpad.net/errors/+bug/116786515:13
ev- Meeting with Katherine to develop an NDA for https://errors.ubuntu.com15:13
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1167849 in Errors "crash-signatures-for-bug does not work" [Undecided,Fix committed]15:13
xnoxslangasek: bdmurray: i'm not sure, but i thought that we select locale based on the location, instead of installer language, but I might be wrong here. Also we had a similar bug with respect to country mirror selection (that one was done based on language instead of location) which is now tested for automatically on daily images.15:13
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1167865 in Errors "Nonexistent buckets raise an exception" [Undecided,Fix committed]15:13
ev- Drafted guidelines for use and rules for approval for accessing the error15:13
ev  reports:15:13
ev  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ErrorTracker/Guidelines15:13
ev- Refactoring crash submission process as I build out the test suite and fix15:13
ev  support for kernel OOPS crashes:15:13
ev  https://code.launchpad.net/~ev/daisy/refactor-submission/+merge/15856615:13
ev- RT for hash-based bucket URLs:15:14
ev  https://portal.admin.canonical.com/6076215:14
ev- Looking at how we can better handle timeouts when writing reports to15:14
ev  Cassandra. Conversed with Tom about it and moved to a consistent 30 second15:14
ev  timeout. Beyond that, we've got bigger problems.15:14
ev- Testing refinements to the FirstError and ErrorsByRelease script.15:14
ev- Worked with webops to get some retracers processing the failed queue:15:14
ev  https://graphite.engineering.canonical.com/render/?width=1129&height=614&_salt=1365757153.811&target=daisy_servers.rabbitmq.messages.failed_retrace_amd6415:14
ev- Testing the fix for weighted average errors per calendar day is taking ages15:14
ev  (as of writing it timed out after processing 12.9 million reports of some 4315:14
ev  million, having run over the weekend), so I'm running the new totals with15:14
ev  what we have so far, since the denominator for the calculation is being15:14
ev  updated in the same process.15:14
ev  - Still not working properly ('Precise (again)'):15:14
ev    http://jsfiddle.net/Ra4xT/4/15:14
ev- Hash-based URLs for buckets on errors.ubuntu.com (RT 60762) deployed and15:14
ev  verified.15:14
ev- Updated errors.ubuntu.com to use the new hash-based URLs:15:14
ev  https://code.launchpad.net/~ev/errors/bucket-short-urls/+merge/15891115:14
ev- (Finally) finished up the code to rebuild the metadata about what Ubuntu15:14
ev  releases and binary package versions have been seen for each problem:15:14
ev  https://code.launchpad.net/~ev/oops-repository/bucket-versions/+merge/15894615:14
ev  https://code.launchpad.net/~ev/daisy/bucket-versions/+merge/15894815:14
ev- Helping Jane diagnose a Intel graphics / apport issue.15:14
ev- Investigating Disco (http://discoproject.org/) as a possible alternative to15:14
ev  Hadoop.15:14
ev- Fighting Canonistack, as per usual (out of security groups on lcy01):15:14
ev  https://eu1.salesforce.com/500D000000OTnPi15:14
ev  - James pointed me to the fact that juju doesn't delete security groups when15:15
ev    its done with them. So if you see this message, euca-describe-groups &&15:15
ev    euca-delete-group.15:15
ev- Catch up with James:15:15
ev  - Where we stand with the prodstack deployment: He's waiting until after15:15
ev    release to move Cassandra in as they're short on resource and it will be15:15
ev    the first big test of Ceph for them.15:15
ev  - Started to build out Hadoop to benchmark it against get_range() in pycassa15:15
ev    (given the multi-day queries listed above), but James and I did a quick15:15
ev    code review and identified some low hanging fruit to try first. He's also15:15
ev    keen on waiting until we deploy to prodstack after release before setting15:15
ev    off on benchmarking Hadoop, as he thinks it'll be far more interesting to15:15
ev    test the live performance characteristics and not canonistack getting15:15
ev    massively contented halfway through a benchmark.15:15
ev- Debugging and fixing bugs in the retracers for webops:15:15
ev  - https://bugs.launchpad.net/daisy/+bug/116948615:15
ev  - http://rt.admin.canonical.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=6084415:15
ev- Trying to write up some best practices / investigative work for writing large15:15
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1169486 in Daisy "Unicode exception when inserting StacktraceAddressSignature during retrace" [Undecided,Fix released]15:15
ev  Cassandra queries:15:15
ev- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ErrorTracker/CassandraQueries15:15
ev- Code review for Brian:15:15
ev  - https://code.launchpad.net/~brian-murray/daisy/build-sourceversionbuckets/+merge/15900615:15
ev- Writing a unit test for the weighting of error reports since A) TDD, bro and15:15
ev  B) with the processing of 45 million error reports taking at least 10 hours,15:15
ev  isn't not exactly quick to test small changes to the way we weight the errors15:15
ev  on production.15:15
ev- Reviewing the draft NDA for errors.ubuntu.com.15:15
ev- Ongoing discussion on the draft NDA for errors.ubuntu.com.15:15
ev- Writing up https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ErrorTracker/DailyTasks15:15
ev- Deployed refactoring of error report submission to production (RT 60876).15:15
ev  - http://rt.admin.canonical.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=6087615:15
ev- Deployed hashed-based bucket URL support to production (RT 60877).15:15
ev  - http://rt.admin.canonical.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=6087715:15
ev- More work on the unit test for the weighting of errors. Refactoring as I go15:15
ev  to allow testing of all parts of this (submission, getting unique system15:15
ev  counts, and weighting).15:15
evOutstanding RTs:15:15
ev - Retracers failing inside apport-retrace due to http_proxy.15:15
ev   - https://rt.admin.canonical.com//Ticket/Display.html?id=6075115:15
ev   - We've fixed the issue and are processing all the errors that went into the15:15
ev     failed queue. This looks like it will take the rest of the month, unless15:15
ev     we get some prodstack-based retracers up and running soon:15:15
ev     https://graphite.engineering.canonical.com/render/?width=1129&height=614&_salt=1366017649.536&from=-14days&target=daisy_servers.rabbitmq.messages.failed_retrace_amd6415:15
ev - Migrate cassandra nodes into prodstack15:16
ev   - https://rt.admin.canonical.com//Ticket/Display.html?id=6065215:16
ev   - See chat with James above. Blocked by the 13.04 release.15:16
ev - Hadoop for daisy.ubuntu.com15:16
ev   - https://rt.admin.canonical.com//Ticket/Display.html?id=5551815:16
ev   - Blocked on the build-out of a secondary Cassandra cluster on prodstack, as15:16
ev     above.15:16
ev     - This arrangement is common practice, as running intensive Hadoop queries15:16
ev       will potentially have an impact on performance.15:16
ev - Lets move the retracers onto prodstack15:16
ev   - https://rt.admin.canonical.com//Ticket/Display.html?id=5801915:16
ev   - The priority on this has been increased, but it's still waiting for a15:16
ev     webop with spare time, according to Liam.15:16
ev - Setup stagingstack environment for errors.ubuntu.com15:16
ev   - https://rt.admin.canonical.com//Ticket/Display.html?id=5853515:16
ev   - This is partially waiting on me creating nrpe hooks, but according to Liam15:16
ev     there are a few webops tasks that still need to be done.15:16
ev - https://bugs.launchpad.net/touch-preview-images/+bug/116741515:16
ev   - I haven't heard anything on this. I'll follow up at not-UDS.15:16
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1167415 in touch-preview-images "android kernel ignores /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern" [Undecided,New]15:16
evbarry: done! :)15:16
barryev: thanks! :)15:16
slangasekxnox: it might make sense to treat LC_TIME the same as LC_MESSAGES, given that it involves string translation?  cjwatson?15:16
barrybug 1102593. bug 1058884. bug 1078697 (awaiting sru approval for precise; landed in raring and lucid-cat). reviewed lcx c extension module for stgraber.  worked on click packages and chatted w/stgraber re: full image updates.  looked at/worked on various upstream python bugs affecting ubuntu (issue17712 - test_gdb failures; issue17759 - test_urllibnet failures; issue17012 - shutil.which() bug).  trying to squeeze in ffes for15:16
barrypython-virtualenv 1.9.1 and pip 1.3.1 into raring (ssl downloads from pypi ftw).  done.  todo: ota image updates.15:16
ubottubug 1102593 in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu) "do-release-upgrade crashed with UnboundLocalError in doDistUpgradeFetching(): local variable 'e' referenced before assignment" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/110259315:16
ubottubug 1058884 in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu) "do-release-upgrade crashed with EOFError in /usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/check-new-release: EOF read where not expected" [Low,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/105888415:17
ubottubug 1078697 in apt (Ubuntu Precise) "Ubuntu archive is missing SHA-1/SHA-256 hashes for some packages" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/107869715:17
cjwatsonslangasek: Yeah, I was thinking something like that but hadn't gone off to analyse it yet.  It's unfortunate since LC_TIME kind of straddles the boundary here15:17
barrybtw, the fix for bug 1078697 has been accepted into lucid-cat and should land on lp next wednesday i'm told15:18
ubottubug 1078697 in apt (Ubuntu Precise) "Ubuntu archive is missing SHA-1/SHA-256 hashes for some packages" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/107869715:18
cjwatsonshutil.which> oh, cute15:18
cjwatson'bout time15:18
barrycjwatson: indeed.  it had a nice little bug triggered by your use case, now fixed upstream :)15:19
cjwatsonI've had a version of that in the osextras module I carry bits of around everywhere for ages15:19
cjwatson(Also, holy adverb stacking Batman)15:19
slangasekev: on bug #1167415, it might be worth adding more detail on which device you're testing on (since the kernel may vary across devices within Android), and also if it's on a device that we have an Ubuntu image supported on (like Nexus7 desktop preinstalled), to cross-check there?15:20
ubottubug 1167415 in touch-preview-images "android kernel ignores /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/116741515:20
barrycjwatson: fwiw, the py3.3 implementation is not far from yours :)15:20
evslangasek: will do15:20
cjwatsonI seem to do this a lot - the current /usr/bin/which is a descendant of my code too15:21
dokobarry, cjwatson: should 17012 be included in raring?15:21
barrydoko: would be great if it were15:21
slangasekwell, my report's real short this week15:22
slangasek * driving the release checklist this week15:22
slangasek * planning for the Oakland sprint15:22
ogra_ * nearly finished the livecd-rootfs implementation which is now dropped after infinity vetoed the design in the last minute (and me apparently killing kapok.buildd completely with the first working build)15:22
ogra_ * looking into using a (currently 2.1G big) package to instead have the builds abusing a package builder which isnt ideal either and would require huge uploads or diffed tarballs from the various git trees at least...15:22
ogra_   (preferably i would just like an additional android cross build machine (simple desktop class PC) to simply build the source as intended by its creators but according to infinity thats not possible either due to budget.15:22
ogra_ * discussing if we should not better keep the android builds in jenkins/IBS completely15:22
slangaseksort of all-consuming bullet points ;)15:22
ogra_ * pretty frustrating week after all ...15:22
ogra_ 15:22
ogra_ * find a solution for that mess above ...15:22
ogra_ * sort out ESTA for sprint travel15:22
ogra_ * finally start looking into emulator work15:22
cjwatsonFinished initial app package installer prototype.  Currently shelved pending discussion (and probably 13.04 release).15:22
cjwatsonFinished ghc transition. \o/15:22
cjwatsonFought Canonistack a bit; ended up submitting a support ticket for an apparently lost volume (though I should have a backup of everything important; this is for the auto-cross-builder).15:22
cjwatsonPrepared LP branch for bug 1169627, to make queue review a bit easier.  Landing as I paste this.15:23
ubottubug 1169627 in Launchpad itself "Show link to source archive for copies in +queue" [Low,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/116962715:23
cjwatsonInvestigated bug 851562, for the same reason.  Looks as though it may require a database change.15:23
ubottubug 851562 in Launchpad itself "Diff's not available for sync's on +queue page like for regular uploads" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/85156215:23
cjwatsonRefreshed translations in various packages (ubiquity, gfxboot-theme-ubuntu, debian-installer).15:23
cjwatsonReviewed various help pages for web team.15:23
cjwatsonMerged installation-guide fix to update it to raring.15:23
cjwatsonDigging into bug 1124384.  Making some progress, I think ...15:23
ubottubug 1124384 in cloud-init (Ubuntu) "reload-configuration can confuse upstart" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/112438415:23
cjwatsonVarious bits of upload queue review.15:23
cjwatsonGave up on my dying N900 and ordered a Nexus 4.15:23
ogra_i have a spare n900 here if you want to replace it :P15:23
evspeaking of the sprint, VS19 is quite the party plane.15:23
xnoxcjwatson: join the Nexus club =))))15:24
xnoxev: i am not on it this time around =(15:24
cjwatsonogra_: Heh, maybe - I should probably have a Nexus all things considered anyway15:25
ogra_hehe, yeah15:25
* xnox is a black duck on a United Airlines flight.... I wonder if anyone flies on those at all =)15:25
cjwatsonI think I'm on United15:25
ogra_the n900 is such a nice thing though ...15:25
slangasekcjwatson: well, it's a bit early to be thinking about dogfooding Ubuntu Touch on your primary phone :)15:25
cjwatsonYeah, UA93115:25
cjwatsonslangasek: Well, yeah, but eventually :)15:26
ogra_slangasek, shhh15:26
slangasek[TOPIC] Bugs15:26
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Bugs
xnoxslangasek: cjwatson: at least nexus4 supports full-image phone backup over adb. thus it should be safe to reflash it with ubuntu touch and revert back. But I have yet to trust myself enough to do that.15:26
slangasekfwiw bdmurray and I discussed the question of how we're handling defect escalations, and concluded that it might be better to handle these by mail daily rather than in the weekly meeting - especially right now as we're so close to release15:26
slangasekso if you're getting mails from Brian about defects, please treat them with a high priority15:27
ogra_just because its brian though15:28
slangasekstokachu: and it sounded like things are under control on your side, right?15:28
stokachuslangasek: yea man, everything is caught up this week15:28
xnoxcjwatson: i'm on UA955 somehow, yet there are 4 people in total on yours =/15:28
slangasekok, great15:28
slangasek[TOPIC] AOB15:28
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: AOB
xnoxack on the bugs.15:28
slangasekanything else, then?15:28
* slangasek throws people off balance with a half-length meeting ;)15:29
xnoxI guess we can discuss and vote on the next code name, then ;-)15:30
ogra_yeah, its about time for a name ...15:31
xnoxSquishy Salamander sounds ok15:31
barrysquishy swan15:31
cjwatsonHas somebody poked Mark about this already?15:31
ogra_you think he forgot ?15:32
xnoxor one can look at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames#S15:32
* ogra_ bets clan doesnt 15:32
cjwatsonIt's been getting later and later15:32
* xnox giggles at Spastic Stallion15:33
bdmurrayI thought ScottK had committed to poking15:33
xnoxScottK: do you know the next codename? =)15:33
slangasekSynalgesic Stegosaurus15:34
* ogra_ votes for "end of edit conflict" ... that seems to be very popular for all releases15:34
xnoxHmm.... with unity logo spinning clockwise, maybe it will be simply named SS.15:34
slangasek[ACTION] slangasek to follow up on codename for s opening15:34
meetingologyACTION: slangasek to follow up on codename for s opening15:34
slangasekxnox: <facepalm>15:35
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology
meetingologyMeeting ended Wed Apr 17 15:35:13 2013 UTC.15:35
meetingologyMinutes (wiki):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-04-17-15.01.moin.txt15:35
meetingologyMinutes (html):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-04-17-15.01.html15:35
slangasekthanks all!15:35
xnoxslangasek: you should see all the "conspiracy" theories on G+ & OMGubuntu15:35
evxnox: like how the community is being removed from Ubuntu because the new website doesn't have an entire section dedicated to it yet?15:36
ogra_yeah :(15:37
evheaven forbid we try to coordinate the navigation structure across the community first, or let the community portal get built15:37
xnoxev: just wait for them to diff the pages and notice that "Debian" is not on the default front-page any more.15:38
evxnox: don't get me started on the whole "Ubuntu is not a distribution. It's an operating system. Chrome doesn't put all the BSD libraries its built with on the home page." thing.15:40
xnoxev: but our homepage says that "ubuntu is an acient african word", not a "distribution" nor "operating system" =)))))))15:41
ev"Ubuntu is the world's favourite free operating system"15:41
xnoxev: "http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu"15:42
xnox"About Ubuntu" at the bottom of each page.15:42
* xnox totally fails to read the homepage's largest font and instead opting in for small-print15:43
xnoxreminds me Hiscox ads "T&C the scariest letters in the English alphabet"15:47
evha! I haven't seen that one15:47
xnoxev: they do cool billboards: http://www.hiscox.co.uk/shared-images/media_final_get-a-quote_568x224.png        http://www.hiscox.com/~/media/Images/H/Hiscox/Images/content/Joe-bloggs.jpg?w=558&h=275&as=117:31
=== drubin_ is now known as drubin
=== mathor is now known as crhrabal
=== hggdh_ is now known as hggdh
ScottKbdmurray: Not me.22:49
bdmurrayoh maybe it was Scott R22:53

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!