=== LordOfTime is now known as LordOfTime|EC2
=== yofel_ is now known as yofel
=== fabo is now known as fabo_away
=== greyback is now known as greyback|lunch
=== greyback|lunch is now known as greyback
=== ayan_ is now known as ayan
=== freeflyi1g is now known as freeflying
* slangasek waves15:01
meetingologyMeeting started Wed Jul  3 15:02:41 2013 UTC.  The chair is slangasek. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.15:02
meetingologyAvailable commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired15:02
* stgraber waves15:02
slangasek[TOPIC] Lightning round15:02
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Lightning round
slangasek$ echo $(shuf -e barry doko stgraber jodh ev bdmurray slangasek cjwatson xnox stokachu)15:03
slangasekjodh slangasek doko barry bdmurray cjwatson stgraber stokachu ev xnox15:03
jodh* upstart:15:04
jodh  - 1.9 release.15:04
jodh  - Cookbook update.15:04
jodh  - Ubuntu merge.15:04
jodh  - Working on lp:~jamesodhunt/upstart/fix-libupstart which seems to15:04
jodh    have exposed a gettext bug (worked around with fix from cjwatson).15:04
jodh  - libupstart packaging preparation (ongoing).15:04
jodh  - Currently working on a testing Ubuntu libupstart packaging before15:04
jodh    putting out a 1.9.1 release (of lp:upstart tip).15:04
jodh  - Fixed bug 1197225.15:04
ubottubug 1197225 in upstart "upstart-file-bridge assert failure: string.c:396: Assertion failed in nih_str_split: str != NULL" [Medium,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119722515:04
jodh  - Merged lp:~ted/upstart/starting-reversal.15:04
jodh  - Raised startpar-bridge bug 1197426.15:04
ubottubug 1197426 in sysvinit (Ubuntu) "starpar-upstart-inject causes upstart to consume a lot of cpu" [High,Invalid] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119742615:04
jodh... and ignore bug 1197426! :)15:04
* jodh whispers 'user error'15:05
slangasek * helping with the odd merge review on upstart15:05
slangasek * mountall update for bug #119251415:05
slangasek * updated gnu-efi, shim for SecureBoot support; may take care of some outstanding bugs we have booting on some hardware15:05
ubottubug 1192514 in mountall (Ubuntu) "Invalid locale in /etc/default/locales halts boot" [Medium,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119251415:05
slangasek * discussed with the kernel team about UEFI anti-bricking kernel backports15:05
slangasek * talking about Mir on the Youse Tubes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h00xJwMi-eY15:05
slangasek * todo:15:05
slangasek  * public holiday tomorrow, and off on Friday15:05
slangasek  * look at getting plymouth working on top of Mir15:05
slangasek  * get parted cross-building using the android toolchain cross-builder15:05
slangasek  * implement repartitioning of disks on Ubuntu Touch install15:05
slangasek  * decide on MokManager packaging in shim, submit new binaries to Microsoft for signing15:05
slangasek  * reviewing new centrifydc package for partner15:05
ogra_yay, plymouth !15:05
doko- test proposed fixes for current linaro gcc-4.8 regressions15:07
doko- openjdk-7 update15:07
doko- cross compiler updates15:07
doko- some kind of +1 maintenance, chasing down dep waits and build failures in -proposed15:07
doko- aarch64 bringup (fix some config.* files)15:07
doko- prepare for connect15:07
barryimage based updates: plumb out reboot sequence, writing command file, moving files into place; LP: #1192574; LP: #1193142 (yay! uploaded); had a meeting on the dbus api and began working on LP: #1192585; had some emails/meetings/discussions on the new dbus download service which is being written by mandel.15:08
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1192574 in Ubuntu system image "Issue reboots" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119257415:08
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1193142 in Ubuntu system image "Create Debian packaging for client" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119314215:08
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1192585 in Ubuntu system image "Add a dbus API" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119258515:08
barryother: py.test rebuild to fix FTBFS; debian bug 712881 (uploaded new enum34 to debian); working on tox 1.5 in debian (but waiting for debian bug 714412 to clear NEW); python-configglue 1.1.0-0ubuntu1 (with py3 support); LP: #1196983; filed debian bug 714757; dmb meeting; gsoc mentors meeting.15:08
ubottuDebian bug 712881 in wnpp "ITP: python-enum34 -- support for enums (backport of Python 3.4's enum package)" [Wishlist,Open] http://bugs.debian.org/71288115:08
ubottuDebian bug 714412 in wnpp "ITP: python-pytest-instafail -- py.test plugin to show failures instantly" [Wishlist,Open] http://bugs.debian.org/71441215:08
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1196983 in configparser (Ubuntu) "[MIR] configparser" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119698315:08
ubottuDebian bug 714757 in configparser "configparser: Unnecessary Build-Depends on python-support" [Normal,Open] http://bugs.debian.org/71475715:08
barryusa holiday tomorrow and off on friday.15:08
bdmurraymodified phased-updater (and updated MP) to directly call changeOverride (LP API)15:09
bdmurrayresearch into software-center not creating package install failure reports15:09
bdmurrayreported bug 1196740 regarding software-center15:09
ubottubug 1196740 in software-center (Ubuntu) "not all package install failures generate a crash report" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119674015:09
bdmurraytesting of .crash file detection by upstart15:09
bdmurraygenerated new oauth token and secret for whoopsie-daisy-lp-bridge15:09
bdmurraysubmitted and tested result of RT regarding deployment of new oauth token and secret (fixes LP: #1053395)15:09
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1053395 in Errors "Bugs reported from "Create" have "Evan Dandrea" as reporter" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/105339515:09
bdmurrayreported errors bug 119718615:09
ubottubug 1197186 in Errors "Create link oopses for some bug reports" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119718615:09
slangaseksigh, more unity package changes preventing update-manager from being able to DTRT15:09
bdmurraymodification to errors / daisy to create more detailed bugs in launchpad15:09
bdmurraymodified bugbot to subscribe me to regression srus15:09
bdmurrayset expiration date for bug control members w/o one15:09
bdmurray✔ done15:10
cjwatsonfoundations-1305-click-package: Renamed click-package to click, by request of Mark.  Thinking about D-Bus interface.  Responded to Sebastian Heinlein's questions on the list; he's offered to help with implementation, which is great.15:10
cjwatsoncommunity-s-autopkgtesting: Discussion with Jean-Baptiste on various problems with the autopkgtest workflow.  Prepared announcement to explain to developers what's going on; just waiting for a couple more fixes to land first.15:10
cjwatsonfoundations-1305-arm64-bringup: Started up auto-cross-builder on saucy/armhf.  Thanks to Evan for Canonistack help.15:10
cjwatsonVisited London to generate keys for image-based-upgrades.15:10
bdmurrayoh, I'm out Thursday and Friday too15:10
cjwatsonFixed up some Python 3 compatibility in lsb (bug 1035136).15:10
ubottubug 1035136 in lsb (Ubuntu Raring) "[SRU] Fix lsb-core for 12.10 and 13.04" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/103513615:10
cjwatsonPrompted discussion on making the publisher try to run more frequently; implemented as of this morning.15:10
cjwatsonFixed crazy fakechroot/chfn/PAM/audit interaction in ubuntu-touch-generic-initrd build.15:10
cjwatsonMerges/syncs: debhelper, jifty, graphviz, tcl8.4, bogl, python-anyjson, qt-assistant-compat, libcommons-compress-java, efax-gtk, patch, wireless-regdb, gluegen2, libtool15:10
* barry is eager to hear about autopkgtest15:11
xnoxcjwatson: how often does the publisher try to run now?15:11
cjwatsonI can't really announce it properly until it stops losing failed statuses ;-)15:11
cjwatsonxnox: I'm leaving infinity to take the glory on that since he did most of the legwork15:11
xnoxcjwatson: ok.15:11
cjwatsonBut anyone who complains about slowness now is clinically impatient ;-)15:12
xnoxand he is not here to get the ping.....15:12
cjwatsonHe knows :)15:13
slangasekstgraber: you're up15:13
stgraberBlueprint-related work:15:13
stgraber - Image based updates (BLUEPRINT: foundations-1305-image-based-updates)15:13
stgraber  - system-image.u.c is now running with the production GPG keys!15:13
stgraber  - Worked on an initial plan for our DBus API with barry15:13
stgraber  - Wrote a new pack-system tool to generate the hardware-dependent tarballs15:13
stgraber  - Updated repack-rootfs to create the missing directories and symlinks to make a loop-mounted image work15:13
stgraber  - Implemented a basic upgrader script and ran the first image update on my N4: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5838899/15:13
stgraberOther work:15:13
stgraber - Ubuntu touch15:14
stgraber  - Cherry-picked pidns+mntns support to mako and manta, available at github.com/stgraber/linux (maguro and grouper will be much harder as they're on an older kernel)15:14
stgraber  - Merged a bunch of changes to lxc-android-config and the initrd to support loop-mounted flipped images15:14
stgraber  - Cleaned up a bunch of scripts to stop using /proc/<pid>/root as a way to access the container, instead doing clean bind-mounts from the host to the container15:14
stgraber - LXC15:14
stgraber  - Usual code reviews15:14
stgraber - Release15:14
ogra_cjwatson, well, with moving to apt-less images the turnaround time gets more critical since we need an image build too to get the fix to the users15:14
stgraber  - Alpha-1 release engineering work15:14
stgraber  - Did a bunch of tests on self-service rebuilds and added to cron, appears to work reliably15:14
stgraber - Upstart15:14
stgraber  - Fixed respawn when the exec line contains shell characters (affecting ofono on Touch)15:14
stgraber  - Code review15:14
stgraber - Other15:14
stgraber  - Objectives15:14
stgraber  - Quite a bunch of meetings (DMB, weekly release meeting, upgrader DBus API, weekly upgrader meeting, OEM customization)15:14
stgraber 15:14
stgraber - THIS WEEK: Integrate the system-image module with cdimage to publish updates to the daily channel as they appear15:14
stgraber - THIS WEEK: Add gpg support to the upgrader script15:14
stgraber - Write some tools for manual actions on system-image (manage channels, manage keyrings, manually publish updates, ...)15:14
stgraber - Process some pending merges (ifupdown and resolvconf)15:14
stgraber 15:14
cjwatsonogra_: sure15:15
ogra_(so count me in on that impatient crowd :P )15:15
slangasekogra_: but a) publisher should no longer be a source of unreasonable delays, b) the users you're trying to get fixes to quickly are all developers, who are going to want to opt out of image-based updates anyway except for dogfooding purposes...15:16
slangasekstokachu: around this week?15:16
ogra_slangasek, dont make stgraber unhappy :)15:17
ogra_i guess we actually want *some* users that use it readonly15:17
slangasekogra_: we've already discussed this, and agreed not to flip the switch until we have the opt-out mechanism available :)15:17
xnox* Upstart:15:17
xnox  - fixup upstart SRU15:17
xnox  - upload 1.9 into saucy, and fix that one up15:17
xnox* Uploaded shadow with user name space support into saucy15:17
xnox* Did objectives.15:17
xnox* Ongoing trying to build a working android cross toolchain, with15:17
xnox  help/suggestions from doko. This time around using 4.7.5 linaro15:17
xnox  release.15:17
slangasekah, does that mean I should downgrade my android cross-toolchain packages?15:18
slangasekdoko: and can xnox have access to upload to some appropriate common ppa for his cross-toolchain work?15:18
xnoxdoko: that's linaro's 13.06 gcc-4.7 release labeled as.15:18
dokoslangasek, he does15:18
slangasekoh, ok15:18
xnoxslangasek: i do now. No need to upgrade anything, packages are datestamp versioned.15:19
slangasekgot it15:19
slangasekwhich ppa should I be pulling from, then?15:19
xnoxslangasek: not uploaded yet, still  building it15:19
stgraberslangasek: we have the opt-out "touch /data/.developer_mode", then reboot and / will be read-write :)15:20
slangasekyes, but which ppa :)15:20
xnoxslangasek: the current toolchain you have, should be ok to build a statically linked parted that will work in recovery.15:20
slangasekstgraber: ok :)15:20
xnoxslangasek: will be in https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-toolchain/+archive/android , last one is still in https://launchpad.net/~xnox/+archive/scratch. Let me copy it across.15:21
slangasekxnox: I already have the last one - don't worry about copying, I just want to get the new one once it's available15:21
slangasekany other questions over statuses?15:22
xnoxslangasek: will ping, once available.15:22
slangasekxnox: ok, thanks :)15:22
slangasek[TOPIC] AOB15:23
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: AOB
slangaseklet's do this the right way 'round this time - anybody have anything else they want to cover before we go into our discussion topic?15:23
=== Ursinha is now known as Ursinha-afk
slangasek[TOPIC] click packages15:24
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: click packages
slangasekseeing no response, I'll turn the mic over to Colin :)15:24
cjwatsonHeh, OK, thanks :)15:24
cjwatsonAs last week, this isn't meant to be a lecture, but I prepared a few notes for those who're unfamiliar, or who aren't up to speed with what's currently happening15:25
cjwatson"Click packages" (the name predates me, so don't blame me :-) ) are the app packaging framework for the phone, and designed with an eye to later convergence onto the desktop.15:25
cjwatsonThey're a lightweight system designed to be fast and robust while also reusing a reasonable amount of code from elsewhere, since we have pretty tight delivery targets.15:25
cjwatsonThey're explicitly *not* designed to replace dpkg and apt; in particular they deliberately have much simpler dependency arrangements.  But they should work for the sort of third-party apps that just use facilities of the stock GUI framework.15:25
cjwatsonThis is a cross-team effort.  For example, Foundations is supplying the low-level packaging tools, up to the D-Bus interface; Security is handling confinement; the SDK team is handling QtCreator integration; and various Online Services teams are handling the server side and the Dash integration.15:25
cjwatsonSome orientation links:15:25
cjwatson  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-1305-click-package15:25
cjwatson  https://launchpad.net/click15:25
cjwatsonRight now a preliminary version of click is in saucy.15:25
cjwatson  https://click-package.readthedocs.org/15:25
cjwatsonThe most important things coming up in July involving Foundations are:15:25
cjwatson * per-user package installation15:25
cjwatson * D-Bus API (will probably be based on PackageKit, possibly with assistance from aptdaemon)15:26
cjwatson * app confinement15:26
cjwatson * desktop file hook so that you can actually run installed apps15:26
cjwatson * get click packages into touch images15:26
cjwatson * demo to Mark at end of month.  NO PRESSURE15:26
cjwatsonQuestions, discussion?15:26
barrycjwatson: can you describe the dbus api a bit more?  what is the scope? what does it do and/or provide?15:27
cjwatsonThis isn't something that distributes madly to lots of foundations people, since we're leaving most existing packages as-is, but there are definitely places where I could use a check on my madness :)15:27
cjwatsonbarry: I think the best thing to do there is to point to the active mailing list thread on the subject15:27
slangasekso I understand all the Ubuntu Touch core apps are meant to be made available as click packages soon, rather than .debs (which I guess is the "get packages into touch images" part).  how's that coming along?15:27
barrycjwatson: thanks15:28
cjwatsonWe'll basically end up with a very cut-down version of the PK API, probably - so you can install from files, remove packages, list packages, but not necessarily do complex upgrades or install by package name (depending on how/whether we hook up the download service)15:28
cjwatsonI don't really feel a need to invent a new API for it15:28
xnoxcjwatson: delta-clicks defined yet?15:28
xnox(as what delta-debs are to debs)15:29
cjwatsonslangasek: That's the goal for this month, and I've done some experimentation with it, but it won't make sense to do it until something's hooked up so that you can actually execute the app :)15:29
slangasekheh, ok :)15:29
barrycjwatson: the "download service" is coming out of the click work, and we're trying to make it generic enough to be useful for image updates15:29
cjwatsonI've been talking with Ted about the details of that, abstracted above as "desktop file hook"15:29
cjwatsonxnox: good question, thanks - I have notes in https://click-package.readthedocs.org/en/latest/todo.html#delta-updates15:30
cjwatsonxnox: I have a back-burner project to port debdelta to Python 3 so that we can more readily contemplate using it15:30
cjwatsonxnox: I've already verified that it can at least approximately handle click packages, in theory15:30
cjwatsonbarry: Do you think it might be possible to hook it up to things like the PK DownloadPackages (or whatever it is) API?15:31
cjwatsonPK has its own network stacks which talk to NM and the like, so maybe not15:32
cjwatsonBut I kind of feel it'd be nice to push this sort of thing down as far as possible so that we can reuse more code ...15:32
barrycjwatson: i think that should be a goal.  the rough api i've seen needs to be "genericized" a bit more, but currently is somewhat app-specific.  we should have a chat with mandel about that.15:32
barrythe download service will be responsible for stuff like suspend/resume downloads, wifi-only, interacting with settings, etc.  basically all the weird network vagaries a phone would see.15:33
barrye.g. user shuts off her phone in the middle of a download15:33
cjwatsonI guess we don't want to turn every single TCP connection into a download notification, so it does want some awareness of what's doing the calling15:34
cjwatson(I assume the download service is doing some kind of notifications?)15:34
barryright.  there are a bunch of downloads the upgrader will do (e.g. is an update available) that don't need notification15:34
barrydetails tbd.  i expect we'll see some more concrete stuff by next week and then can refine from there15:35
cjwatsonFor now, it's not critical; the dash code can deal with downloads and then feed to PK.Transaction.InstallFiles or similar15:36
cjwatsonHowever in some ways it'd be easier if we could use an InstallPackages type interface (package names, not file names) because it would be easier to avoid duplicate downloads for the multi-user case15:37
barryyep.  i need to refactor the upgrade client internally so that it can use either the download service or my built-in dumb downloader15:37
cjwatsonI've only really just started looking at PKish things so I'm a little hazy on some of this as yet15:37
cjwatsonAnd very happy that Sebastian has offered to help out there15:38
cjwatsonThis month is going to be fairly brutally focused on getting to an end-to-end demoable state15:38
barryokay, mandel says spec should be transferred to wiki pages rsn15:38
cjwatsoni.e. build app in QtCreator, upload to click server, search for it in dash, install on phone, run app15:39
cjwatsonI think it's doable; but if I tell anyone I can't help with something, this is probably why ;-)15:40
slangasekif people wanted to get their hands dirty with this today, what would you suggest?15:41
slangasekplaying with the SDK?15:41
cjwatsonThe SDK doesn't quite allow building click packages yet, but you can put the filesystem tree together and then run "click build" on it15:41
cjwatsonAnd "click install --force-missing-framework"15:42
cjwatsonIt's still a little boring due to things like missing execution hooks, so the package in the archive at the moment is mostly for the purpose of putting more pieces together15:42
slangasekvery cool stuff15:43
cjwatsonFor this audience, I'd also like people to have a look at the hooks interface from the POV of a world with a read-only system partition15:44
slangasekwhen will qtcreator integration happen?  I notice the blueprint has a work item for talking about it, but not for making it happen ;)15:44
cjwatsonSince I wrote it before I'd fully understood what was going on there, it probably needs some rework15:44
slangasekright... the putting-stuff-not-on-the-root-filesystem question15:44
cjwatsonI talked to Zoltan about that on 20 June, and he said then that he was going to be attacking the implementation from that Monday15:45
slangasekif there are some touch apps shipped in the image, does that mean there'll be two directories on the search path?15:45
cjwatsonHowever I gather he's now on paternity leave, so it's just possible that there have been some distractions15:45
slangasekcjwatson: right, I was just noticing that :)15:45
cjwatsonLoic and Daniel have been trying to chase up what's happening there, I believe15:45
* slangasek nods15:45
cjwatsonRight, we are going to end up with multiple click installation directories, I believe, possibly abstracted through a symlink farm15:45
cjwatsonPer-user app installation implies each user having symlinks to their own current versions of apps15:46
cjwatsonSo there are a couple of different ways we could assemble that15:46
cjwatsonThere's also some question of OEM overrides15:46
cjwatsonWatch this space, I'm not totally sure yet :)15:46
stgrabercjwatson: I guess lool will be poking you about this soon but we had a meeting about oem customizations this morning and we'll likely have yet another path for that (/oem/...) that will contain some click packages too (probably in their packed rather than unpacked form, but I'll let lool and you figure the details)15:46
slangasekok :)15:46
lool(poked already  :-)15:47
cjwatsonAs I said on ubuntu-appstore-developers (thread linked to barry above), I think this needs to be designed in conjunction with the D-Bus API to make sure it all works properly15:47
* lool hugs15:47
cjwatsonstgraber: Yeah, that was what I was shorthanding as "OEM overrides"15:47
cjwatsonTBH that further guides me towards managing things by way of a per-user symlink farm, but it depends a little on how much wants to be mandatory as opposed to merely default, if you see what I mean15:48
cjwatsonPersonally I think that if we don't allow users to remove OEM customisations that are there by default, then we are not on the side of the angels15:48
cjwatsonBut maybe somebody will override me there ;-)15:48
slangasekso I definitely look forward to seeing this in action at the end of the month15:51
slangasekI suspect having apps on my Ubuntu Touch will make quite a difference in its utility ;)15:51
cjwatsonUm, yes, quite :)15:51
beunopft, so demanding.15:52
cjwatsonWeaning myself off all the apps I have for Android might take a while15:52
slangasekwaiting for the Ubuntu Touch Ingress port15:52
slangasek(that one might be a while in coming)15:52
slangasekcjwatson: cool, thanks for filling us in on the click work15:53
slangasekany other questions?15:53
=== _ffio_ is now known as bsd_freak
cjwatsongive me a non-webapp twitter client and I'll be happy ;-)15:54
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology
meetingologyMeeting ended Wed Jul  3 15:55:03 2013 UTC.15:55
meetingologyMinutes (wiki):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-07-03-15.02.moin.txt15:55
meetingologyMinutes (html):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-07-03-15.02.html15:55
slangasekthanks, all!15:55
xnoxcjwatson: there is non-webapp twitter client on touch images, via friends app. one does need to launch authentication via adb shell, but it otherwise works good.15:58
cjwatsonxnox: ah, ok16:07
xnoxcjwatson: http://askubuntu.com/questions/310172/how-to-add-accounts-to-friends-app-in-ubuntu-touch16:08
=== bsd_freak is now known as babaji
=== Ursinha-afk is now known as Ursinha
=== chiluk` is now known as chiluk

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!