=== broder_ is now known as broder
=== doko_ is now known as doko
ubottucjohnston, cyphermox, Destine, ejat,  hggdh, IdleOne, iulian, micahg,  Pendulum, PabloRubienes, freeflying, jared, amachu, and bkerensa. Meeting time.12:03
cjohnstonmzanetti eliasps give us a few more minutes to see if anyone else will show up please. Sorry for the delay12:06
eliaspsOk :)12:07
=== jdstrand_ is now known as jdstrand
salih-eminany news ?12:29
cjohnstoneliasps, mzanetti I'm very sorry, however it appears as though we will not be able to get enough people here to hold the meeting. if we have one more person show up shortly we may be able to do it.12:34
salih-emincjohnston any ways to contact them ?12:36
cjohnstonI already pinged them above.12:36
salih-eminOK ! :) thnx12:36
eliaspscjohnston in case that the meeting will not start, what happens? The voting will be continued via e-mail?12:46
cjohnstoneliasps: We normally reschedule for the next meeting. Doing it by email removes the ability for us to ask questions to get a better feel of who you are/what you do, it also removes the ability for you to have supporters at a meeting with you.12:47
hggdhcjohnston: I am in (if it helps any)12:47
eliaspsOk. Thanks!12:47
cjohnstonDestine: iulian are you still here?12:48
cjohnstoneliasps: if Destine is still here then we are able to have the meeting12:49
hggdhcjohnston: we have quorum!12:51
cjohnstoneliasps mzanetti give us a couple minutes to get situated12:52
hggdhaall right12:53
hggdh#startmeeting Membership Board 120012:54
meetingologyMeeting started Wed Jul 17 12:54:07 2013 UTC.  The chair is hggdh. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.12:54
meetingologyAvailable commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired12:54
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Milestone Targeted Work Items (ogasawara) | Membership Board 1200 Meeting | Current topic:
hggdh#voters cjohnston Destine iulian hggdh12:54
meetingologyCurrent voters: Destine cjohnston hggdh iulian12:54
hggdhall: we are sorry for this delay12:54
hggdhHello and welcome to the Ubuntu Membership Review Board for the 2200 UTC meeting for July 4th, 2013.12:55
hggdhWe will attempt to get through all of the applicants that have added themselves to that list before today's meeting. If we are unable to make it through the entire list due to time constraints, then at the next meeting we will pick up where we left off.12:55
hggdhThe format for the meeting is as follows: We will go through the list of applicants one by one, by date of application (FIFO).12:55
hggdhEach applicant should introduce themselves (1-5 sentences) and provide links to their Ubuntu Wiki page. After the introduction the members of the Membership Review Board will review the pages and, if needed, ask the applicant further questions.12:55
hggdhDuring this time it is encouraged for other members of the community to show their support for the applicant. Do not be alarmed if the members of the Membership Review Board are quiet during this time; they are most likely reading wiki/launchpad/forum/other pages and deciding how they are going to vote.12:55
hggdhWhen the board is ready to vote, they will publicly vote in the channel with either +1, 0, or -1 (for membership, abstain, and against membership, respectively). If the sum of those numbers is positive, then the applicant is now an official Ubuntu member! (feel free congratulate them!)12:55
hggdh(sorry, I am just logging in, waiting for my browser to start)12:55
cjohnstons/July 4, 2013/July 17. 2013 just for the log :-)12:55
cjohnstonand s/2200/120012:55
hggdhyep, tried to be quickly fast, messed up, sorry12:56
Destinesorry for that.12:56
hggdhso, anyway, let's get started. mzanetti -- you are on12:56
hggdhmzanetti: please introduce yourself, with links for you LP and Wiki pages12:57
iulianidle     : 0 days 14 hours 33 mins 31 secs12:58
iulianI don't think he's around.12:58
hggdhOK. eliasps -- you are on. Please introduce yourself, with links to LP and Wiki pages12:58
eliaspsHello everyone12:58
eliaspsMy name is Elias, I live in Greece and I'm currently a math student. I am an Ubuntu user since 2007 and member of the Ubuntu-gr community since 2011.12:58
iulianHi there.12:58
eliaspsHere is my wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/eliasps and my account in launchpad: https://launchpad.net/~eliasps12:58
eliaspsI activelly provide user support and giving advice in Ubuntu-gr forums and IRC on a daily basis, since my registration.12:59
eliaspsLater on, I started translating Ubuntu and became member of the Ubuntu Greek Translators team. 2 months ago I responded to the need for new moderators in Ubuntu-gr forum and thanks to its members, I am now a global moderator of Ubuntu-gr forum and G+ Community.12:59
eliaspsI am also the main desinger of Ubuntistas e-magazine, the magazine of the Greek Ubuntu community, which I bring into its final form by using LaTeX. Ubuntistas is available for free of course, at Ubuntu Software Center. ubuntistas.ubuntu-gr.org12:59
eliaspsI try to participate in testing Ubuntu for bugs. I have installed Ubuntu 13.10 and currently trying out Mir display server.13:00
eliaspsI keep myself updated for any tests that needs to be done.13:00
eliaspsMy main goal is to continue providing support to everyone in need inside and outside of the forums, keep promoting FOSS and especially Ubuntu in Greece and encourage new members to get involved as well.13:00
eliaspsToday, I am in a daily contact with other activelly contributing members of our community and we are constantly trying to improve and expand our community's projects. I see some of them present here and I thank them for their support! :)13:00
eliaspsHere are some photos of us at Ubuntu 13.04 release party in Athens: http://www.ubuntu-gr.org/content/ubuntu-release-party-raring-ringtail-athens-201313:01
eliaspsAnd from Ubuntu hour a few days ago: http://www.ubuntu-gr.org/story/17-07-13/ubuntu-hour-%CE%B1%CE%B8%CE%AE%CE%BD%CE%B1-12-%CE%B9%CE%BF%CF%85%CE%BB%CE%AF%CE%BF%CF%85-201313:01
eliaspsThat's pretty much my story with Ubuntu. I must thank all those people that inspired me to get involved and helped me with my first steps.13:01
hggdheliasps: on the Athens photo -- who are you there?13:02
NikThHello, I'm here to indicate my full support on eliasps.  Thank you.13:02
iulianNikTh: Thanks.13:02
eliaspsWait a second to find the right picture to explain, please.13:02
hggdheliasps: take your time13:03
eliaspsOk! :) 4th photo, I am the guy bihind the one holding the cake13:03
eliaspsThe one that smiles funny. :P13:04
salih-eminHi all, I fully support eliasps and aknowledge his contributions. Thnx13:04
hggdhthank you13:04
NikThAt this photo, yes.. the one who siting  and smiles :-)  https://ubuntu-gr.org/files/photos/release5_0.jpg13:04
iulianThanks for the information, eliasps.13:06
hggdhsalih-emin: thanks for the support13:06
eliaspsThanks guys for your support.13:07
konnnHello, my fully support to Elias, too.13:07
Destinekonnn, thanks for the support.13:07
eliaspsThank you!!13:07
hggdh#vote on eliasps for Ubuntu membership13:07
meetingologyPlease vote on: on eliasps for Ubuntu membership13:07
meetingologyPublic votes can be registered by saying +1, +0 or -1 in channel, (private votes don't work yet, but when they do it will be by messaging the channel followed by +1/-1/+0 to me)13:07
meetingology+1 received from cjohnston13:07
meetingology+1 received from iulian13:07
meetingology+1 received from Destine13:08
hggdh+1 No doubt! Being a math student sort of helps, but I am biased ;-)13:08
meetingology+1 No doubt! Being a math student sort of helps, but I am biased ;-) received from hggdh13:08
meetingologyVoting ended on: on eliasps for Ubuntu membership13:08
meetingologyVotes for:4 Votes against:0 Abstentions:013:08
meetingologyMotion carried13:08
hggdheliasps: WELCOME!13:08
NikThCongrats eliasps . Welcome aboard :-)13:08
salih-eminCongrats eliasps !!13:08
Destineeliasps, congratulations.13:09
eliaspsThanks everyone! Proud to become an Ubuntu member.13:09
eliaspshggdh if I may, biased on what?13:09
iulian(I've just added him to ~ubuntumembers.)13:09
eliaspsOn math studying?13:09
hggdheliasps: having a strong math background... so I am partial to us13:10
eliaspsIt will definatelly help, especially on app developing, which i itend to do13:10
eliaspsThank you all again!13:10
hggdhwell. Given mzanetti is not around, I will then consider the meeting done. Again, we are sorry for the late start13:10
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Milestone Targeted Work Items (ogasawara)
meetingologyMeeting ended Wed Jul 17 13:10:47 2013 UTC.13:10
meetingologyMinutes (wiki):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-07-17-12.54.moin.txt13:10
meetingologyMinutes (html):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-07-17-12.54.html13:10
* slangasek waves15:03
meetingologyMeeting started Wed Jul 17 15:03:42 2013 UTC.  The chair is slangasek. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.15:03
meetingologyAvailable commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired15:03
slangasek[TOPIC] Lightning round15:03
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Lightning round
slangasek$ echo $(shuf -e barry doko stgraber jodh ev bdmurray slangasek cjwatson xnox stokachu)15:04
slangasekstgraber slangasek doko stokachu xnox jodh barry ev cjwatson bdmurray15:04
slangasekstgraber: you're up :)15:04
* stgraber waves15:06
stgraberslangasek: sorry, just finished typing :)15:06
stgraberBlueprint-related work:15:06
stgraber - Image based updates (BLUEPRINT: foundations-1305-image-based-updates)15:06
stgraber  - Landed a new version of the upgrader, that's now feature complete (does GPG checking)15:06
stgraber  - Worked on some code to make mark-current add a stamp file in the cdimage build directories for import-cdimage to parse15:06
stgraber  - Added code to generate a system-image configuration file at boot time15:06
stgraber  - Fixed a few subtile bugs in import-cdimage causing broken upgrade paths when some files are identical to the previous build15:06
stgraber  - Did a test backport and raised RT to get pxz and android-tools in precise-cat15:06
stgraberOther work:15:06
stgraber - LXC15:06
stgraber  - Linux Plumbers mini-conference preparation15:06
stgraber  - Some tweaks to lxc-start-ephemeral and the python binding15:06
stgraber  - Poked the security team about the MIR15:06
stgraber  - Usual code reviews15:06
stgraber - Network15:06
stgraber  - Uploaded a new openvpn now that we have iproute215:06
stgraber  - Helped doko figure out why isc-dhcp was broken after his merge15:07
stgraber - Other15:07
stgraber  - Some shim testing15:07
stgraber 15:07
stgraber - THIS WEEK: Get all UEFI systems to install and boot shim-signed (even when not running under secureboot)15:07
stgraber - THIS WEEK: Figure out the needed changes to run the phablet test suite on readonly images15:07
stgraber - THIS WEEK: Add an option to phablet-flash to bootstrap an image based system15:07
stgraber - THIS WEEK: Land the mark-current change on cdimage and apply matching change to import-cdimage15:07
stgraber - THIS WEEK: Update pack-system to include the recovery partition image (not ideal but better than not updating it at all)15:07
stgraber 15:07
stgraber - NEXT WEEK: I'll be in London all week for the release engineering sprint15:07
stgraber - WEEK AFTER: I'll be on vacation, only working on the 2nd of August (Friday)15:07
stgraber - WEEK AFTER that: I'll be on vacation Monday-Wednesday, working on Thursday (8th) and Friday (9th)15:07
stgraber - WEEK AFTER that: I'll be at Debconf2013 all week15:07
stgraber - => back to normal on the 21st of August15:07
stgraber - => as a result of all that, I'll be missing the next 4 team meetings15:07
stgraber 15:07
evoh hai (pickup time got moved)15:07
slangasekstgraber: is your android-tools precise-cat backport any different from the one in the ubuntu sdk ppa (besides version #)?15:09
stgraberslangasek: probably not, I asked IS for a clean backport from precise (I tested it with backportpackage)15:10
slangasekev: hey there!15:10
stgraberslangasek: I really just need simg2img on nusakan (currently using a local copy which isn't ideal)15:10
slangasekstgraber: right15:10
slangasek * prep for client sprint on IoM (in two weeks)15:10
slangasek * lots of internal meetings15:10
slangasek * following up on arm64 bootstrap15:10
slangasek * broke unity builds over the weekend by getting rid of unity-common; this led to a renewed discussion about getting all our Ubuntu Touch packages out of ppas and into the archive, the deadline is now end of month15:10
slangasek * still working on parted this week15:10
slangasek * still working on shim in the lead-up to 12.04.315:10
slangasekdoko: your turn15:10
xnoxstgraber: pxz currently segfaults for me on android.tar  bug 1199895, which is simply possibly bug 109678215:11
ubottubug 1199895 in pxz (Ubuntu) "pxz crashed with SIGSEGV in _IO_vsnprintf()" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119989515:11
ubottubug 1096782 in pxz (Ubuntu) "pxz do not handle >4GB size files" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/109678215:11
xnoxwould we be affected?15:11
doko- Linaro Connect last week15:11
doko- gcc-4.7 C++11 bug fix backported15:11
doko- gcc-4.7 Linaro release and upload15:11
doko- still trying to sort out network setup for the arm64 bootstrap15:11
doko- arm64 bootstrap, starting with languages, ruby, lua done, working on php, guile15:11
stokachujust one bug this week: bug 1199037 - spent the better part of the week learning juju and deploying some internal applications15:12
ubottubug 1199037 in python-eventlet (Ubuntu Raring) "backport eventlet exception context fix" [Undecided,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119903715:12
stgraberxnox: ah, haven't had any problem with my delta or rootfs tarballs so far15:12
stgraberxnox: I'm certainly not affected by the >4GB one, not sure about the other15:13
xnoxbah, me!15:14
xnox* upstart code review15:14
xnox* upstart 1.9.1 upload into saucy15:14
xnox* sru on hold, pending resolution of bug 119977815:14
xnox* android build:15:14
xnox  - <<100MB source package now (dropped chromium, multiple copies of15:14
xnox  stdc++ libraries, all prebuilt binaries, tools and not-needed files.15:14
ubottubug 1199778 in upstart (Ubuntu) "upstart crashes if re-exec'ed with active chroot sessions" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119977815:14
xnox  - split out vendor blobs into a separate src&binary package (it's15:14
xnox  not going to change)15:14
xnox  - should be relatively straight forward to make a copyright file for15:14
xnox  and upload into the archive. Will need security team review of15:14
xnox  embedded copies of code and if/which need CVE tracking (agreed with15:14
xnox  security team)15:14
xnox  - refresh toolchain against doko's gcc-4.7 upload, dropped binutils patches.15:14
xnox* Plumbers/LinuxCon upstart talk accepted by james and myself. \o/15:14
xnox* this week:15:14
xnox  - push out updated upstart SRU15:14
xnox  - finish up with android build and upload into the archive15:14
xnox  - thus moving on to QML/OOBE app for next week15:14
jodh* foundations-1305-upstart-app-launching:15:14
jodh  - libupstart now in the archive.15:14
jodh* foundations-1305-upstart-work-items:15:14
jodh  - upstart-dconf-bridge: Progress on reacting to jobs being15:14
jodh    added/removed (slow as we have to use GDBusProxy rather than the15:14
jodh    usual NIH routines).15:14
jodh* upstart15:14
jodh  - Spent last few days working on the best fix for bug 1199778.15:15
jodh  - Wrote 2 new tests and resubmitted the MP:15:15
jodh    https://code.launchpad.net/~jamesodhunt/upstart/bug-1199778/+merge/17413815:15
jodh  - "Android event bridge" (more details to follow at the end of the meeting).15:15
jodh    - worked on the host side (currently called upstart-text-bridge, but15:15
jodh      really needs a better name! :-)15:15
jodh    - Started to look at the Android side (which will be heavily15:15
jodh      influenced by 'watchprops').15:15
jodh* TODO15:15
jodh  - Aside from the unfinished items above, work on getting some15:15
jodh    DEP-8 integration tests running for Upstart (which will result in15:15
jodh    the python module getting merged for Upstart testing only).15:15
barryimage updater: LP: #1199498, LP: #1199488, LP: #1199981, LP: #1199986, LP: #1199982, LP: #1195420, LP: #1195479, LP: #1200981.  meetings.  upload versions 0.3-0.615:15
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1199498 in Ubuntu system image "Update client for updated ubuntu_command format" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119949815:15
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1199488 in Ubuntu system image "Include the archive-master keyring in system-image-common" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119948815:15
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1199981 in Ubuntu system image "Reboot class is missing reboot() method override" [Critical,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119998115:15
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1199986 in Ubuntu system image "Fix ubuntu_command file ordering" [Critical,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119998615:15
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1199982 in Ubuntu system image "/var/lib/system-image must be present in packaging" [Critical,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119998215:15
barryd/l service: discussions/status with mandel.  need to do more on this asap, with click package and upgrader client integration.15:16
barryother: work to eliminate configparser as configglue dep.  discussions w/configparser upstream about various problems we encountered.  tox 1.5.0 (debian bug 702009), codespeak-lib 1.4.15 (with pull request in debian to re-enable dep8 tests, and debian bug 678398).  python bug 18440 (hash() truncates __hash__() to machine bit width).  syncpackage codespeak-lib (failed).  syncpackage tox.15:16
ubottuDebian bug 702009 in tox "tox: Upgrade tox to 1.4.3" [Normal,Fixed] http://bugs.debian.org/70200915:16
ubottuDebian bug 678398 in codespeak-lib "codespeak-lib: Enable test suite (as DEP-8 tests)" [Normal,Open] http://bugs.debian.org/67839815:16
ubottubug 18440 in xorg (Ubuntu) "xserver-xorg 6.8.2-32: xv is corrupted for some video sizes" [Medium,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1844015:16
barrythis week: working furiously on LP: #1192585, leading to work on minimal ui.15:16
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1192585 in Ubuntu system image "Add a dbus API" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119258515:16
slangasekjodh: why "text" bridge? :)15:16
evI guess I'll paste here again so the logs have it15:17
evThis week has again been focused on the Cassandra move into Prodstack.15:17
evWe've finally gotten past the hurdles around the initial repair of15:17
evetcassandra/0 and are currently up to etcassandra/3 (we need a minimum15:17
evof six nodes built to have at least one copy of all the data).15:17
evJames Troup and I had some very productive discussions with the folk15:17
evat DataStax and Acunu for a support contract, and possibly to have15:17
evAcunu Analytics handle top-k for errors.ubuntu.com.15:17
evI'm exercising Analytics in canonistack as preparation for getting it15:17
evturned on in production to demo it with real world data. More on that15:17
evI've also been working on getting automatic error reporting set for15:17
evthe server and mobile (building the settings UI, teaching apport to be15:17
evquiet, etc). I'm going to be optimistic and say that we'll have15:17
evautomatic error reporting turned on for the phone by the end of the15:17
evWhile waiting for g++ to melt my CPU, I've been porting our pyjuju15:17
evdeployment code over to gojuju.15:17
cjwatson - Wrote a PackageKit plugin for click.15:17
cjwatson - Added a "click list" command, hooked into PK.15:17
cjwatson - Some work to make things build on precise.15:17
cjwatson - Refactoring hooks design to meet needs of AppArmor and desktop file handling.  Aiming to finish this by end of week.15:17
cjwatson - Preparation for demo at end of month.15:17
cjwatsonYet more Apache 2.4 / PHP 5.5 transition madness.15:17
cjwatsonMade net-retriever's deduplication code lots faster for large Packages files (bug 1067934).15:17
ubottubug 1067934 in net-retriever (Ubuntu Raring) "spends 10+ minutes deduplicating Package lists" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/106793415:17
jodhslangasek: just "because" :) As I say, better names welcome. I don't want to call it the upstart-android-bridge though.15:18
cjwatsonFiled RT#63122 for a new host for offloaded archive jobs.15:18
bdmurraysubmitted RT #63071 regarding updating errors and daisy15:18
bdmurraytested deployment of new version of errors and daisy15:18
bdmurrayresolved an OOPS in errors (writing to bugtocrashsignature) when creating a bug in Launchpad15:18
bdmurraytested update-notifier crash notification change (using MATCH instead of FILE)15:18
bdmurrayuploaded update-notifier to saucy with a new version of the crash notification15:18
bdmurrayuploaded update-notifier fixing LP: #120004415:18
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1200044 in update-notifier (Ubuntu) "update-motd-updates-available wastes 1 second on every login by forking hundreds of /usr/bin/stat" [Medium,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/120004415:18
bdmurrayinvestigation into and fix for bug LP: #120013515:19
bdmurrayuploaded R SRU of fix for bug LP: #1199157 (verified it too)15:19
bdmurraymodified ubuntu-release-upgrader not to use GObject.threads_init()15:19
bdmurraySRU verification of LP: #107869715:19
bdmurrayresearch into sessioninstaller / dbus-python LP: #77140415:19
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1200135 in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu) "Raring to saucy upgrade fails with "AttributeError: Values instance has no attribute 'devel_release'"" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/120013515:19
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1199157 in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu Raring) "proposed should be disabled on upgrade to development release" [Medium,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119915715:19
ubottuLaunchpad bug 1078697 in apt (Ubuntu Lucid) "Ubuntu archive is missing SHA-1/SHA-256 hashes for some packages" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/107869715:19
ubottuLaunchpad bug 771404 in dbus-python (Ubuntu) "aptd crashed with UnicodeEncodeError in _method_reply_error(): 'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 20-28: ordinal not in range(128)" [Medium,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/77140415:19
bdmurraymodified bugbot to subscribe me to regression bugs (from proposed) w/o an SRU bug15:19
bdmurraypackage to team mapping work15:19
bdmurraycreated a csv file of the package to team mapping for the current teams we are using in LP15:19
bdmurrayreview of packages added to seeds in raring15:19
bdmurraywrote a tool to query the archive to find unsubscribed packages15:19
cjwatsonOh, I forgot to mention, I also got the fix for bug 1192286 verified - it's awaiting the next nodowntime deployment now15:19
ubottubug 1192286 in Launchpad itself "Allow phased update percentage to be set when copying a package" [High,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119228615:19
bdmurraycjwatson: thanks!15:20
bdmurrayI'm done if that was not clear15:22
slangasek[TOPIC] AOB15:23
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: AOB
slangasekanything else?15:23
stokachucould i get an ack on bug 119903715:23
xnoxjodh: bionic-upstart-bridge (on android side) upstart-bionic-bridge (on host/ubuntu side)15:23
ubottubug 1199037 in python-eventlet (Ubuntu Raring) "backport eventlet exception context fix" [Undecided,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/119903715:23
stokachucould i please*15:23
slangasekstokachu: "ack" :-)15:24
stokachuslangasek: thank you! :D15:24
slangasekstokachu: is it waiting for sponsorship or SRU queue approval?15:24
jodhxnox: I'd rather not make any reference to android/bionic on the host side as the bridge is generic.15:24
stokachuslangasek: theyve linked the related branch and i dont believe its been uploaded yet15:24
bdmurrayI'll be on holiday from the 22nd to the 31st.15:24
bdmurraystokachu: it looks to me like it needed some minor fixing15:25
slangasekbdmurray: can you follow up on it?15:25
stokachubdmurray: would you mind commenting and ill work with the engineer to get it in shape15:25
stokachui need to write a lint tool or something for these outside requests15:26
bdmurraysure, I'll comment and watch for fixes15:26
stokachubdmurray: thanks man i appreciate it15:26
slangasek[TOPIC] upstart and android15:27
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: upstart and android
slangasekso today's in-depth topic is the upstart android bridge jodh is working on15:28
slangasektimely and topical!15:28
* slangasek yields the floor to jodh15:28
jodhslangasek: thanks.15:28
jodhyou may have noticed that as of Monday the touch images are now running a Session Init.15:28
jodhAll the android bits are now running in the android lxc container.15:29
jodhThe issue this bridge is trying to solve though is that upstart services on the host side (ubuntu) need to know when specific android services in the container are "ready".15:29
jodhI outlined this in a post recently to ubuntu-devel: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2013-July/037469.html15:30
jodhCurrently, some of the session jobs are using heuristics (ahem) to determine when certain android services are available but they are not reliable.15:30
slangasekheuristics like "sleep", I believe ;)15:30
jodhslangasek: right :(15:30
slangasekand I think the ofono job is also respawning messily when the rild socket comes and goes15:31
jodhso what this bridge needs to do is somehow detect when android services are ready and create an upstart event that jobs on the host side (potentially system and session I think?) can make use of.15:31
jodhslangasek and I are not terribly happy with the design as it stands so if anyone knows a better way speak up.15:31
jodhThe plan currently though is to:15:32
jodh- create an *android* service that runs in early android boot (that is to say some time after the lxc container starts).15:32
jodhthis service will run before any other android service and will "hook" into the service manager facility provided by android init (basically a block of shared-memory it updates when things change).15:33
jodhthis service will also attempt to connect to an already-running bridge on the host side and squirt name=value pairs over the wire.15:33
jodhthe bridge on the host side will then emit upstart events like 'android-service $name=$value'.15:33
slangasekso from what rsalveti had said, I thought the plan on the android side was simpler than that... I thought they were modifying android init to dump the android service states over a socket15:34
* rsalveti checks backlog15:34
jodhwell, that was the original idea, but we don't need to modify androids init as it already provides this shared-memory facility (used by getprops/watchprops/etc).15:34
rsalvetislangasek: yeah, the additional service will be quite small, so don't need to change the init itself15:35
jodhso, on the host side, jobs should eventually be able to specify things like:15:35
stgraberjodh: I'm assuming the actual exchange between host and container is a socket created by the bridge on the host that's bind-mounted into the container?15:35
rsalvetibut it'll be called when starting init15:35
jodhstart on :sys:android-property init.svc.ueventd=running15:35
jodhwhen the ueventd (androids version of udev) daemon is running.15:35
slangasekwhy would it be bind mounted instead of using an abstract socket?15:36
jodhstgraber: yes, the host side will create the socket. I might need your help on the bind-mounting of it though :)15:36
slangasekyou shouldn't need to bind mount anything15:36
stgraberslangasek: we tend to prefer bind-mounts of real socket vs abstract socket because if we ever choose to use a separate netns for the container, access to abstract sockets won't be possible (as they'd live in different namespaces)15:36
jodhwe could use a real socket but security might be a concern.15:36
stgraberslangasek: the kernel has explicit logic in it for bind-mounted sockets to be accessible across namespaces so it's the preferred way of doing things15:37
slangasekstgraber: I can see that being desirable for containers generally, but we're already relying on abstract sockets for Touch15:37
slangasekand upstart makes heavy use of abstract sockets throughout - so I don't see the advantage of bind mounting15:38
stgraberslangasek: ok, I guess if we already really on access to Android abstract sockets from Ubuntu, then it won't make things much worse (and it's not terribly likely we'll turn on the netns for the Android container any time soon anyway)15:38
rsalvetijodh: do you know when you'll get enough time to start the implementation there? just so I can sync it with some other changes I'm doing in the android side15:38
jodhrsalveti: I need to discuss with slangasek before committing to timings. As mentioned, I've got a basic bridge on the host side and have been sniffing around bionic (somewhat misnamed perhaps? :-) to see how much effort it will be for me to write the android side. Oh and learning the Android.mk bits.15:40
slangasekrsalveti: so I've asked jodh to address autopkgtest of upstart first before doing any more feature work; I'd assume that puts the android bridge at least 2 weeks out15:40
rsalvetislangasek: jodh: right, ok, as this will be a major improvement :-) should fix all the races we're having in there15:40
slangasekjodh: so what are the bits of the design that you're not happy with currently?15:41
slangasekrsalveti: and the plan is still to make ueventd a "run-once" service in the android container?15:42
jodhwell, I was hoping we could somehow make the android service manager accessible to the host to allow a single application to handle the injection of the events.15:42
rsalvetijodh: I can set up the git repo and a stub in there (with a stub .c/Android.mk) if that helps you15:42
jodhrsalveti: great - thanks!15:42
rsalvetislangasek: yes15:42
rsalvetislangasek: we'll get a init.svc.ueventd stopped15:42
slangasekjodh: ah, so you don't like having to run a daemon both in the host and in the container?15:43
slangasekrsalveti: right :)15:43
jodhrsalveti: btw - do we have any facility (like androgenizer) to handle autoconf packages in bionic land?15:43
slangasekI guess the problem with trying to do it outside the container is that it would be racy trying to start listening for events inside the container15:43
jodhrsalveti: autotools I mean15:43
rsalvetiyou can manage some services via the property system as well15:43
slangasekyou really need something within the container to synchronously kick things off15:44
rsalvetijodh: no :-( all pure makefiles15:44
jodhrsalveti: ack15:44
ogra_rsalveti, we should probably work out some sleeps or so to improve the races a bit, i recently start seeing ueventd acting up on maguro too15:44
ogra_that wasnt the case before we switched to upstart sessions15:44
ogra_(we got to fast)15:44
rsalvetiogra_: right, that's why I want us to have the bridge asap :-)15:44
rsalvetiavoid more hacks15:44
ogra_so that we can somehow survive these two extra weeks15:44
rsalvetiogra_: sounds fine, if that really helps us15:45
ogra_dunno, i'll do some tests15:45
slangasekyeah, slowing things down with a sleep in the meantime is probably best15:46
rsalvetisleep, sed and grep, we can solve everything with those tools15:47
slangasekjodh: so I think it would be possible, and might reduce the memory usage, to have the synchronous trigger within the container be a one-shot program that connects to the host's socket with a simple "the container is ready" message15:48
xnoxjodh: you should be able to simply $ apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-androideabi and do ./configure --host=arm-linux-androideabi; which will build for android user-space and link against bionic. Then just adb push your binaries and they will work.15:48
jodhone issue we have is how to tell the android service where to connect. We could hard-code that somewhere (in 2 places!) but maybe we could pass that in as an env var to the lxc container? Security team might want to get involved in this plan.15:49
xnoxjodh: in terms of getting it on to the images, we have ability to fetch binaries like that without any Android.mk madness.15:49
slangasekso: host launches bridge; bridge listens on (abstract) socket; host launches container; container starts init; init runs "tell-upstart-I.m-here"; t-u-i-h connects to abstract socket and sends message; bridge receives message, connects to android init shared memory; bridge acks message to t-u-i-h; t-u-i-h exits; android init continues starting other services15:49
rsalvetixnox: but I'm hoping that the service will be small enough to be included in there by default15:49
jodhslangasek: not sure I understand - there are multiple android services that the service manager will notify us about.15:49
xnoxjodh: caveats apply, that you are building against bionic with incomplete pthreads, no exceptions and partial implementation with many stubs everywhere.15:49
slangasekjodh: see above15:50
rsalvetixnox: until we do some more progress on your work and get that as default15:50
xnoxjodh: or me/rsalveti other android gurus will package it later =)15:50
jodhand single-shot wouldn't handle android service restart scenarios.15:50
rsalvetijodh: an ENV var might me enough as a start15:51
jodhslangasek: I still don't understand what you've said. I believe ofono is currently the issue, but I was going for a generic solution that would inject upstart events for all android service changes.15:52
slangasekjodh: your current design requires two daemons, one inside the container and one outside the container.  But the only reason you have one inside the container is to copy state from the shared mem region to the socket, *and* to ensure synchronization of the startup so that the bridge doesn't miss service start events that happen soon after android init starts because we aren't yet listening in the right place15:54
jodhslangasek: correct.15:55
slangasekjodh: the second of these can be addressed by a synchronous callback to an upstart socket by a one-shot program, instead of a daemon.  and the first of these is unnecessary if the bridge just talks directly to the android shared mem interface.15:55
slangasekthis makes it completely un-generalized, it will be an actual upstart-android-bridge at that point; but I think that's preferable15:55
jodhslangasek: the bridge on the host cannot talk to the android inits shared memory.15:56
slangasekwhy not?15:56
jodhbecause it's not actually shared memory in the conventional sense: init mmaps a file in /dev (tmpfs) then unlinks it.15:56
slangasekoh, really?15:57
slangasekso it's not using /dev/binder?15:57
slangasekoh fun15:57
slangasekthen I guess I don't see a way around having two daemons15:57
jodhso, yes, we could tweak androids init to "play fair" as another option I guess, but I'd rather we didn't if possible.15:57
slangasekok, so I guess the design holds up to scrutiny ;)15:59
slangasekunless anyone has any other ideas? :)15:59
jodhare there any security issues anyone can think of?16:00
jodhthe host bridge will specify the event which stops any malicious android apps injecting random upstart events.16:00
jodh(since all they can specify is a single name=value env var for the fixed event)16:00
slangasekwould android apps have access to this anyway?16:01
slangasekI'm assuming that every piece of this requires root privileges16:01
rsalvetiyeah, as long we have just root-like apps setting up properties, we're good16:02
jodhI'm not sure if the android service could drop privs at some point.16:02
rsalvetibecause we can probably generate an event via 'setprop foo bar'16:02
rsalvetibut that's something we can also block if not root16:03
slangasekyeah, it all seems fine to me16:03
jodhI was thinking the android service would only react to init.* events16:03
jodhcan setprop still set those?16:03
slangasekonce the code is there it might need a security review, but I don't see anything in the design that gives me security concerns16:04
jodhok great.16:04
rsalvetijodh: I think it can, but we can also protect that if needed16:05
slangasekany other feedback for James?16:05
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Milestone Targeted Work Items (ogasawara)
meetingologyMeeting ended Wed Jul 17 16:06:37 2013 UTC.16:06
meetingologyMinutes (wiki):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-07-17-15.03.moin.txt16:06
meetingologyMinutes (html):        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-07-17-15.03.html16:06
slangasekthanks everyone16:06
slangasekand thanks jodh for scaring us further with android :D16:06
jodhbionic indeed...16:07
jodhhalf of its missing! :)16:07
=== chuck_ is now known as zul
stokachum/win 616:47
=== wendar_ is now known as wendar
=== dosaboy__ is now known as dosaboy
=== Guest99716 is now known as balloons_
=== Zic is now known as Guest81623

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!