Geohi, does anyone know a good code snippet manager on ubuntu ?01:14
robert_ancellRAOF, what makes Vala code unreviewable for SRUs?03:12
RAOFrobert_ancell: The only thing I see is the generated C code, and relatively small changes to the vala code make drastic changes to the C.03:13
robert_ancellRAOF, also, prepare for some serious convincing03:13
robert_ancellRAOF, Don't you just ignore the .c code?03:13
RAOFDo you even ship the vala code?03:13
robert_ancellRAOF, yes03:14
RAOFIt's possible that I didn't notice that because the pages and pages of C.03:14
robert_ancellyeah, autotools is stupid and likes to ship the .c03:14
robert_ancellI did try a hack that mterry came up with to stop it doing that, but it's a bit dodgu03:15
RAOFAlso, I was predisposed to reject it, as “rewrite feature X to prevent slowness caused by feature X” starts from a position of ‘that's probably not SRUable’ :)03:15
robert_ancellah, unity-greeter doesn't ship the .c files. I'll copy that for new versions03:16
RAOFYeah, please do so.03:16
robert_ancellRAOF, the slowness is critical (i.e. it easily becomes unusable after more than a page or using high res colour pages)03:16
robert_ancellRAOF, so the only real option is to disable the autosave or use the new version03:16
robert_ancellGiven it's not a critical app and it's so broken I opted for the latter03:17
RAOFDeleting the file on clean exit doesn't resolve that?03:17
robert_ancellRAOF, no, it already does that03:17
RAOFSo now you get to convince me that "all new shiny autosave code" is more appropriate than "disabling autosave" :)03:19
robert_ancellWell, it can't be worse than broken autosaving code?03:20
* robert_ancell can't wait until we don't have to do SRU's anymore03:21
robert_ancellRAOF, the main reason I want the new autosave code is it will be a better experience for users03:22
robert_ancellAnd as the upstream, I'm happy to weather any problems that may arise from that03:22
RAOFOf course it can be worse than no autosaving code! It can *crash* :)03:23
robert_ancellThe SANE drivers crash all the time, much more often than simple-scan. Which is why the autosave code is there03:24
RAOFWhat does the autosave do, anyway? I've never hit it (nor the problem, obviously)03:24
RAOFAh, SANE.03:24
robert_ancellerrors.ubuntu.com shows all the SANE errors03:24
RAOFSuch a terrible name.03:24
robert_ancellThe API isn't bad, it's just the awful implementations03:24
robert_ancellI found a char[7] code that reads from the *network* and doesn't have any bounds checking in a HP driver03:24
robert_ancellit was getting "HTTP/1." before it crashes. Probably some proxy or something in the middle. It was expecting "n\r\n" where n is an integer03:26
robert_ancellRAOF, so, what's it going to be? How many beers will this cost?03:27
RAOFLet me have another look at the diff...03:27
RAOFI particularly like the way Vala leaks the details of your development directory structure :)03:34
RAOFrobert_ancell: That's a sizeable chunk of code :/03:41
robert_ancellRAOF, the autosaving?04:21
pittiGood morning04:21
robert_ancellTrevinho, all those u-g branches are good to land - feel free to push whenever you want04:33
robert_ancellI thought I'd got u-g setup with Jenkins, but apparently not04:33
RAOFrobert_ancell: Yeah, the autosaving.04:33
robert_ancellRAOF, the delta or the module?04:34
Trevinhorobert_ancell: ah, cool... thanks for the reviews...04:35
Trevinhorobert_ancell: I was waiting for jenkins as well, but if it's not the case, should I proceed with manual merge?04:35
RAOFrobert_ancell: The delta. Well, and the module :)04:36
robert_ancellTrevinho, yes, go for manual04:37
Trevinhorobert_ancell: ok, perfect04:37
robert_ancellTrevinho, are you looking after u-g now?04:43
Trevinhorobert_ancell: ehm, what you mean?04:44
robert_ancellTrevinho, I wondered if bregma had assigned it to you or you were just fixing the dialogs :)04:44
Trevinhorobert_ancell: oh, no.. I did that by myself04:45
Trevinhorobert_ancell: I think andyrock will work on the locker side04:45
robert_ancellok, cool04:45
Trevinhoscreensaver I mean04:45
TrevinhoI just saw your initial work and I put some efforts in improving it to match unity..04:46
robert_ancellTrevinho, much appreciated! I wasn't sure if I could get all those features in there04:49
Trevinhorobert_ancell: me neither :) but I wanted to give a try, and see if everything was feasible without much time... and it was :)04:50
robert_ancellbye all04:55
=== duflu_ is now known as duflu
seb128good morning desktopers!09:00
seb128oh,pitti is piloting09:02
pitti52 -> 32 so far:)09:02
seb128pitti, I unsubscriber sponsors from https://code.launchpad.net/~timchen119/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon.precise.lp1055874/+merge/194661 yesterday, but it still needs reviewing ... if you feel bored (not sure how well you know that part of the gsd code)09:03
didrocksseb128: he's exceeding mac2 at the moment, but still accelerating to mac3 :)09:03
seb128(I subscribed sponsors because I started having a look/it seemed a desktopish one)09:03
didrockshey btw!09:03
seb128didrocks, good morning, and no I was not drinking, I was doing exercice, and by the time I was back seems like you left to drink :p09:03
didrocksseb128: ahah! ;)09:04
seb128didrocks, what's the bug btw?09:04
didrocksif you go to the g-c-c shorcuts panel09:04
didrocksyou can't assign alt (alone) to anything anymore09:04
didrockslike "to show the HUD"09:04
seb128didrocks, I can...09:05
seb128didrocks, well, it writes "mod2+alt L" but that works (e.g "alt" opens the HUD)09:05
didrocksinteresting, latest trusty, right?09:06
seb128didrocks, for desktop components, yes09:06
didrocks"disabled" here…09:06
didrocksLaney: hey! mind trying assigning alt to a shorcut in g-c-c?09:06
seb128Laney, good morning ;-)09:06
Laneyit goes to "disabled"09:08
LaneyI think you can't have modifiers alone09:10
Laneyisn't that known?09:10
seb128Laney, you can, we have a GTK patch for that case09:10
Laneylike a known bug09:10
seb128and it's working for me09:10
Laneyseems to be the case here09:10
seb128but didrocks has the same issue than you09:10
Laneyunless it got lost in T?09:10
seb128but I'm running GTK 3.10 pre packages atm09:11
Laneywant to share those?09:13
Laneycan check if it gets fixed09:13
seb128Laney, well ... I've only a local build and it's i386, so don't bother, I'm downgrading GTK to see if that's fixed09:15
seb128Laney, https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/gtk/ubuntugtk310 has the current version if you want to build it yourself09:15
seb128Laney, https://code.launchpad.net/~larsu/gtk/3.10/+merge/194619 has some review comments/the list of bugs that need to be fixed before we upload to the ppa for more testing09:15
darkxstLaney, should jenkins automatically pick up the autopkgtests? (in gjs)09:17
seb128Laney, didrocks: wfm with gtk from trusty, so that's not this one either09:17
Laneydarkxst: in theory, but it doesn't always work09:18
Laneydarkxst: oh, that stuff might be down atm?09:18
Laneythere's QA lab maintenance09:19
darkxstwell gjs was in -proposed for more than a week, surely it should have picked it up then?09:19
Laneyjibel: ^^^ is there a problem with adt job creation?09:20
pittiLaney: -ENODATACENTER09:23
Laneypitti: See darkxst's previous line09:23
Laneywas around before that was true09:23
pittidarkxst: ah, was that the first version to introduce an autopkgtest?09:24
Laneyubuntu1 was09:24
pittithere's a known bug that the first upload isn't being tested09:24
pittifirst upload to introduce a test ,that is09:24
Laneyunrelated: looks like indicator-application libdbusmenu ubuntu-download manager are saucy > trusty09:25
seb128bah, something made my xorg unhappy09:28
seb128Laney, saucy > trusty, yeah, that's thanks to trusty autolanding not happening anymore for over a week and being blocked on a touch image to be green09:28
seb128I was pondering doing a pocket copy of those SRUs09:28
seb128but didrocks is going to be unhappy if I do that (or we need to merge the SRU changelog back in trunk which is a pain to do)09:29
didrocksseb128: I don't think that you blocked on touch image to be green09:29
seb128didrocks, I asked on -ci-eng on monday and somebody told me that there was no landing of things that are not helping the image to be back to green09:30
didrocksseb128: that's not what I wrote on the email09:30
didrocksbut monday is not a week09:30
seb128didrocks, can we do a landing of indicator's stack today then?09:30
didrocksseb128: is the CI engine back?09:30
didrocks I didn't see any email09:31
seb128didrocks, well, my "a week" is based on how long my u-s-s landing ask has been sitting without change in the landing ask table09:31
didrocksseb128: yeah, blocked first on autopilot 1.409:32
didrocksseb128: you can thanks the QA team09:32
didrocksand then the CI went down09:32
pittididrocks: no, CI isn't back09:32
didrocksnot fair to blame on other things like "we are blocking for a green image"09:32
seb128didrocks, I'm not blaming anyone, but it feels like we are stucked atm to land stuff from the indicator stack in trusty09:32
didrocksseb128: right09:33
didrocksnothing we can do about it09:33
didrocksand clearly not blocked on a green image09:33
Laneycould copy the packages09:33
didrocksis there any urgency to do that?09:33
didrocksis it blocking anything?09:33
didrocksare you going to merge back with the current info?09:33
didrocks(knowing that the commit numbers don't match)09:33
seb128it's blocking high e-u-c-ranked segfaults fix to land09:34
didrocksif you can answer to "yes" for all of this, I'm fine09:34
seb128I'm not going to bother merging thing back, I'm just going to let those segfaults in and wait, no big deal09:34
didrocksok then, no need for that discussion in the end :)09:34
seb128I just never though we would see a day with SRUs either to get it than uploads to unstable series09:34
seb128well, it's very frustrating to let know high visibility segfault in because our processes are so tedious09:35
didrockswe should maybe revisit the rule to block to unstable series in those circumstances09:35
seb128but yeah, sorry for the ranting09:35
didrocksoh come on09:35
didrocksdon't start…09:35
didrocksok, back to the meeting that is delayed because of that discussion09:35
jibelLaney, hm, first trace of gjs in britney's logs are yesterday, nothing before that day. Has 1.38.1-0ubuntu1 been ever published?09:36
Laneyjibel: in proposed, didn't migrate to release09:36
Laneybecause of ppc ftbfs09:36
jibelLaney, ok09:36
didrocksseb128: ev suggests that you talk with him directly about the CI shutdown09:45
seb128didrocks, I've no problem with the CI shutdown, it's maintenance and needed, I've a problem with the fact that we can't pocket copy good fixes from saucy-proposed to trusty (at least without having to then do manual merging of changelog hackery)09:46
LaneyThose fixes are in trunk09:47
didrocksseb128: you can ignore if you do the landing yourself the changelog, remember?09:47
LaneyYou should be able to just override the changelog check09:47
seb128Laney, right, but we can't land trunk because of the CI (and because there are changes to use upstart for indicator that probably need a bit more thinking/testing for landing)09:48
didrocksLaney: you can09:48
Laneyseb128: I just mean that the copy shouldn't create any work if the fixes are already in trunk09:48
Laneybecause they're not going to be lost09:48
seb128Laney, well, last time I did that I got sil2100 and cyphermox pinging me a few hours later to get the changelog of the copy merged back in trunk09:49
seb128which is not the end of the world, but it's annoying still09:49
Laneyright, suggesting we could be more relaxed about that09:50
didrocksagain, you can ignore the destination if you handle the landing09:50
didrocksbut seems nobody reads09:50
didrocksanyway, continuing doing work, all the MP would have been done by the time we discussed it09:50
=== tvoss is now known as tvoss|test
Laneyit's quite hard to have discussions about this if people are touchy09:50
=== tvoss|test is now known as tvoss
seb128Laney, yeah :/09:51
seb128didrocks, let's forgot about it and wait for the CI to be back (I don't want to have to handle the next landing of the indicator stack since there is an upstart-job transition in there that I didn't follow)09:51
didrocksok, fine :)09:51
seb128ok, let's move on09:52
seb128didrocks, sorry about the discussion09:52
didrocksseb128: no worry, we'll be better tomorrow with the CI back (I hope :))09:52
didrocksseb128: we are trying to still spin images without results to dogfood if something horrible broke09:53
didrocks(which totally destroyed ogra_'s week-end FYI ;))09:53
LaneyConstructively, it'd make it easy for manual uploads (from the point of view of cu2d) if all uploaders could set some flag saying 'please overwrite this archive upload'09:53
Laneywhich the vanguard / whatever they're called doesn't need to care about09:53
ogra_didrocks, not that much though, i shared the pain with rsalveti09:53
Laneyjust happens at the next normal run09:53
didrocksLaney: you think the override should be in the upload?09:54
didrocksit means that the next commit can revert your fix09:54
didrocksogra_: pairing pain09:54
LaneyNot necessarily09:54
diwiclarsu, seb128 hi09:54
larsuseb128: so diwic started implementing https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Sound#Handling_unknown_audio_jack_devices09:54
didrocksLaney: ok, in CI "new world", this will be accessible by all core dev in the system FYI09:54
larsudo you think g-s-d is the best place to have this? (a new plugin?)09:55
diwiclarsu, at least implementation planning09:55
seb128diwic, hey09:55
didrocksto tell "please ignore v<foo>"09:55
larsudiwic: heh, ya09:55
didrockslike the hinting in britney09:55
Laneythat's what I'm asking for09:55
larsuseb128: we were thinking indicator-sound first, bt that can't have a gtk dep anymore09:55
Laneyso I can do an upload, handle it in trunk, and then flag cu2d to ignroe that09:55
Laneyignore the manual upload09:55
didrocksLaney: yeah, that's planned in the UI09:55
Laneyso the pipe is unblocked as it were09:55
Laneyoh poop, webkitgtk migrated09:56
Laneywithout an arm64 build09:56
diwicseb128, what larsu said, do you think gnome-settings-daemon would be a good place for a "What did you plugin?"-dialog ?09:57
seb128Laney, it's a new package, it never built on that arch09:57
Laneyyes but it makes binaries on arm64 outdated09:57
Laneythe old webkit1 ones09:57
diwicseb128, and I've been asked to this for our pre-installs, which still ship with 12.04, so an SRU back to 12.04 will probably be necessary09:57
seb128didrocks, btw found back the "can't land stuff that don't help the image to be green", that was from ogra09:58
seb128nov. 08 14:28:45 <ogra_>        though the current word is, only stuff that improves the image to go gree on the dashboard is allowed to enter09:58
didrocksbad bad ogra_ :)09:58
Laneythat's why I thought it would be stopped09:58
didrocksin my email, it was:09:58
seb128Laney, ok, dunno about that :/09:58
Laneywell, it's probably a misunderstanding on my part09:58
seb128Laney, did we have webkitgtk ever building on arm64?09:58
didrocks Here is what I think we should do:09:58
didrocks1. ubuntu-ui-toolkit should their backward compatibility issue and shipping that (I heard this is already under work)09:58
didrocks2. balloons is going to coordinate the core apps team side (ubuntu-weather-app, ubuntu-terminal, ubuntu-rssreader, ubuntu-filemanager, calendar-app)09:58
Laneybut now it's more complicated09:58
didrocks3. bfiller is going to get his team fixing notes-app and mediaplayer-app. webbrowser-app will be fixed in image 15.09:58
didrocksPlease until then, refrain from merging/releasing anything that can impact those component test results. We need to ensure we are progressing quickly.09:58
didrocksI don't think the indicators is going to impact ubuntu-ui-toolkit, not those apps09:59
ogra_sorry !09:59
Laneythe current series looks like it'll fix it though, so I guess we should take that09:59
didrocksogra_: don't make the seb angry! :)09:59
ogra_didrocks, it was what i understood from the meeting ...09:59
Laneymeans taking a dev series which isn't the best, checking in #debian-gnome if it's going to be stable09:59
seb128Laney, define "current serie", please tell me it's not the GNOME 3.12 one09:59
Laney& test building09:59
ogra_(though that was before CI went down)09:59
didrocksogra_: I think the written down part will help more ^09:59
seb128didrocks, ogra_: ok, thanks for clarification09:59
didrocksFYI 1 and 3 are done10:00
didrocksso, only 210:00
didrocks(and I don't think apart from the toolkit, anything will impact 2)10:00
seb128diwic, larsu: sorry, lot of discussions happening here atm, a bit difficult to keep track ... let me think10:01
diwicseb128, no worries10:01
seb128diwic, larsu: ideally any new code would be though with ubuntu-touch in mind, and g-s-d is not going to be available there ...10:02
seb128diwic, larsu: could we get the logic/detection in the indicator and have a separate UI or would that be too complex?10:02
diwicseb128, we don't want it on ubuntu touch for the foreseeable future10:03
diwicseb128, all phones can successfully distinguish between headphones and headsets AFAIK10:04
seb128diwic, why not? (keep in mind that touch is going to be our desktop after the coming LTS, we for sure don't want to regress that feature under unity8?)10:04
seb128diwic, touch->unity8 if that helps btw10:05
larsuseb128: would that mean that indicator-sound would need to show qml dialogs?10:06
seb128diwic, e.g the goal is to make sure new features are made with unity8 sessions in mind, which means either have the choice of the frontend or make easy to replace the GTK bits by Qt ones10:06
larsuhm, fair point.10:06
seb128larsu, ^ under unity8 it would make sense10:06
seb128larsu, that's not something we need to focus on for the LTS10:07
diwicseb128, I've never even heard of unity8 sessions...seems I have some catching up to do10:07
seb128but if we write new code I would rather to have most of it re-usable10:07
seb128rather than having to throw it away and rewrite for unity8 in one cycle10:07
seb128diwic, larsu: does that make sense?10:07
larsuI agree, but not as long as we need to have it running on the current desktop10:08
larsuwhich is what I focussed on when thinking about this10:08
larsuwe could have indicator-sound have the logic an hit a name up on the bus that activates an executable which shows the dialog10:08
seb128well my point is that it would be nice to do it in a way where the device detection would be in the backend10:08
larsuslightly cringeworthy...10:08
diwicI think most of the code here is actually dialog layout.10:09
larsuseb128: I don't think there's that much detection10:09
diwicsure, there'll have to be something talking to pulseaudio too, I guess10:09
larsuit'll be more or less like "pulse, what kind of device is this? Ah, a shitty one. Show a dialog please"10:09
seb128how much work is that stuff?10:09
larsudiwic: correct me if I'm wrong^^10:09
seb128I would almost recommend doing it in the indicator with a Qt dialog10:10
seb128though I would prefer a GTK UI for unity7/the LTS10:10
diwiclarsu, I think that anything that's not GUI wise can be directly in pulseaudio.10:10
larsuI'd be fine with having a separate executable though10:10
diwiclarsu, so if the dialog is in a separate executable, maybe PA can fire that dialog rather than the indicator?10:11
larsudiwic: can it? I'm not too familiar with what you can do on pulse events10:11
seb128Laney, do you suggest taking the webkit matching GNOME 3.12? how sure are we that they are not going to make change that imply apps porting?10:12
Laneyseb128: That's what I asked & pochu pinged kov about10:12
LaneyOtherwise try to backport the arm64 porting patches which sounds hairy10:13
diwiclarsu, well, PA modules can fire executables. I just wonder if that executable will have the right environment set etc for doing GUI stuff.10:13
diwiclarsu, but PA does talk to X11 at least. Maybe that is enough to do GUI stuff as well?10:14
seb128Laney, another of those fun situations :/10:14
Laneyhopefully we get the right answer10:14
seb128diwic, larsu: that dialog seems little enough code that it should be easy to redo a qt version next cycle if needed, so do whatever is easier (might be less work to do 2 frontends that to over-engineer it)10:15
larsudiwic: should be if it starts anything from inside the session. Is it smart enough to only start the executable when that type of device shows up?10:15
diwiclarsu, seb128 and then we try to do as much logic as possible in PA, leaving only the dialog layout to the executable10:15
larsudiwic: I wouldn't like a solution where pulse always starts that binary and the binary would need to find out whether to show the dialog or not. Seems wasteful on machines with proper audio hardware10:16
larsudiwic: yeah, that sounds good to me. (To be honest, that's my favorite solution so far)10:16
diwiclarsu, no; I'll write the PA module so that it only fires the dialog if the dialog should actually be shown10:16
larsudiwic: awesome!10:16
larsuseb128: I totally agree. It's a window with five buttons and a checkbox10:17
seb128seems like a plan then10:17
seb128larsu, diwic: thanks ;-)10:17
diwiclarsu, seb128 and the dialog result would be communicated back by...10:18
larsudiwic: couldn't the app just use pulse's api to switch device type?10:18
diwiclarsu, sure, but then the dialog needs to connect to PA, which makes it more code in that app10:18
=== Sweetsha1k is now known as Sweetshark
diwiclarsu, I'm thinking maybe one could just communicate back through reading the exit code from the executable10:20
larsudiwic: right. I can't think of another clean solution though10:20
Laneyseb128: btw, I think webkitgtk & webp need promoting to main10:23
diwiclarsu, or reading stdout/stderr perhaps10:23
seb128Laney, oh, right, new source ... I'm on it10:23
larsudiwic: I recommend against doing that. Is it really that much hassle to connect to pulse?10:24
larsudiwic: ad-hoc results on stdout sounds like a debugging nightmare down the line to me10:24
diwiclarsu, it is a bit of hassle, but overcomable. Could you elaborate on why you think using stdout is bad? Are you afraid something else will output there too?10:26
larsudiwic: it sounds less robust to me, because now the pulse module must keep state about that application (to wait for it to return; and handle error cases)10:34
larsuideally, it would just do this over dbus10:34
larsuthat would also fix the case of me unplugging and replugging the cable while the dialog is up10:35
larsuso that we don't show two dialogs10:35
larsu(I mean using dbus would solve this)10:36
seb128Laney, did you look at merging epiphany-browser (just asking because you did webkit), if not don't worry about it, I started the other day (before noticing it needed the new webkit)10:36
diwiclarsu, hmm, that's an interesting corner case. In that case the PA module should kill the dialog, in my scenario10:36
larsudiwic: in mine, it would simply activate the same name again on the bus, but since the dialog is already running and owning the name, nothing would happen10:37
Laneyseb128: nope, not yet10:37
larsudiwic: I just feel like having state inside the pulse module and this weird interaction between the two might get cumbersome10:37
seb128Laney, ok, I'm going to do that one then10:37
larsudiwic: in all fairness, you don't have to do it my way. I'm just thinking out loud :)10:38
diwiclarsu, you'll need to have some state inside the pulse module anyway - because you have the "remember my choice" checkbox, which is an interesting twist10:38
larsudiwic: can't that be a dconf key?10:38
larsuah wait, pulse doesn't do dconf I guess?10:39
larsubut it must have some way to store configuration, no?10:39
diwiclarsu, sure, it stores configuration10:40
larsudiwic: can that be set by the public API? (i.e., could the dialog set it?)10:41
diwiclarsu, might require a protocol extension unfortunately - but I might have to do that anyway for sound settings10:42
larsudiwic: it occurs to me, if we're separating the logic from the ui anyway, we might as well do it in indicator-sound10:44
larsudiwic: it already has a gsettings schema. The dialog could just write into that10:44
larsuproblem solved10:45
larsuthe code for the dialog executable could even live inside the same source package10:45
diwiclarsu, I'm thinking that maybe I should start writing the backend logic and then, in a first iteration, have PA fire up a zenity dialog. In next iteration, replace the zenity dialog with something that looks more like mpt's design. Upstream might even like the zenity version and accept it10:50
larsudiwic: sounds good to me :)10:53
Laneyoh cool, gnome-online-accounts is already split in experimental10:54
diwiclarsu, seb128  ok, thanks for the chat. Seems like we come up with a different solution every time we talk about it :-)10:54
seb128mvo, hey, how are you?11:16
=== gatox is now known as gatox_brb
Laneyxnox: feel free to mangle imagemagick11:31
Laneyfor webp11:31
seb128Laney, ok, so epiphany-browser depwait on arm64 due to webkit not building here ... do you think we should block migration on that? (or should we just delete the old arm64 epiphany-browser binary so it can migrate?)11:32
LaneyGive me a bit to test build this current webkit11:33
Laneybtw I test built gtk and it hung in the testsuite, was giving errors about unavailable schemas too11:36
Laneyprobably should look at that list of issues before raising things ;-)11:37
xnoxLaney: \o/11:39
seb128Laney, the schemas errors didn't fail the build here and I didn't get the hung11:40
larsuLaney: in which test? I thought I had gotten them all...11:41
Laneylet me see if it saved a log11:42
xnoxLaney: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/imagemagick/+bug/1117481/comments/3    ... and we moved webp into main =/11:42
ubot2Launchpad bug 1117481 in imagemagick (Ubuntu) "Imagemagick lacks support for webp" [Undecided,Opinion]11:42
seb128xnox, hopefully we can move webkitgtk to universe once we have our own bindings...11:43
xnoxLaney: then again https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=imagemagick is not exactly stellar =)11:45
xnoxseb128: while webp is in main, I'd take the opportunity.11:45
Laneymmm, I don't find many CVEs11:45
=== gatox_brb is now known as gatox
seb128chrisccoulson, hey, is there any way you could use your magical powers to see if https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1200272 is known upstream? I didn't find it in their bugzilla but I've a feeling bugzilla is not the place to check for that11:46
ubot2Launchpad bug 1200272 in firefox (Ubuntu) "firefox crashed with SIGSEGV" [Medium,Confirmed]11:46
Laneydon't have a log for gtk, will need to rebuild11:47
Laneylarsu: http://people.canonical.com/~laney/weird-things/gtk+3.0_3.10.2-0ubuntu1~local0_amd64.build11:56
Laneylarge file, don't open it in your browser11:56
larsutoo late :D11:57
seb128Laney, what's weird in it?11:58
LaneyI can't remember why I called that directory weird-things11:59
Laneythere was probably a good reason at the time11:59
larsuah, settings schemas again11:59
Laneyoh yeah, they are kerrrrrrrrrrrazy11:59
larsuI'm guessing my patch simply doesn't install them right11:59
larsuI'll will have a more detailed look after lunch12:00
=== MacSlow is now known as MacSlow|lunch
seb128larsu, Laney: debian workaround it in debian/rules if we want to copy that12:00
seb128they do12:00
seb128# So that gsettings can find the (uninstalled) gtk schemas12:00
seb128        mkdir -p debian/build/glib-2.0/schemas/12:00
seb128        cp gtk/org.gtk.* debian/build/glib-2.0/schemas/12:00
seb128        glib-compile-schemas debian/build/glib-2.0/schemas/12:00
seb128# So that gsettings can find the (uninstalled) gtk schemas12:00
seb128export XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share:$(CURDIR)/debian/build12:00
Laneyoh yeah, it's not a merge, right12:00
larsuseb128: ah thanks. I've tried fixing it in the build system: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71171512:01
seb128Laney, I looked at the diff between both though12:01
ubot2Gnome bug 711715 in general "gtk object tests: run under local environment" [Normal,New]12:01
seb128Laney, pochu went for the workaround and larsu was trying to get those fixed upstream so I was not sure if we should take the rules hacks12:01
seb128Laney, ^ see that bug12:01
seb128larsu, thanks, I saw it while reviewing your changes the other day ;-)12:01
Laneyupstream would be ideal indeed12:02
seb128larsu, enjoy lunch ;-)12:03
* seb128 should get something to eat as well12:03
=== alan_g is now known as alan_g|afk
=== alan_g|afk is now known as alan_g
chrisccoulsonseb128, in a bit. we really should find a resolution for https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=888840 though, so we can just send these back upstream again where people see them12:49
ubot2Mozilla bug 888840 in General "Crash reports from Ubuntu builds of Firefox beta are not listed in aggregations" [Normal,New]12:49
chrisccoulsoni have about zero hours per week to spend on firefox atm ;)12:50
seb128chrisccoulson, :-(12:50
=== alan_g is now known as alan_g|lunch
ogra_chrisccoulson, just hand it back to asac, managers have all that spare time, y'know ;)12:56
chrisccoulsoni don't think asac would like that ;)12:57
asacthx :)12:57
chrisccoulsonasac, CONGRATULATIONS. You just volunteered to be our new firefox maintainer :)12:58
seb128ogra_, well, I've been told asac is going to be active in the MIR review team again, that's a first step I guess ;-)12:58
seb128asac, thanks for helping on MIR reviews!12:58
chrisccoulsonhere's a game. the next person to speak in this channel gets firefox12:58
=== pitti is now known as sabdfl
sabdflhey guys!12:59
* Laney thinks about doing actions from now on, instead of speaking12:59
=== sabdfl is now known as pitti
* Laney laughs12:59
* ogra_ giggles12:59
Sweetsharkpitti: the great pretender!13:08
* pitti innocently bats his eyelashes13:09
* Laney has nick changes off so didn't see that it wasn't real :P13:09
pittiLaney: so have I, they are rather unnerving in public channels13:10
pitti"joe is now known as joe_at_the_loo", thank you, TMI13:10
Laney13/11 13:10:52   44 *: JOINS PARTS QUITS KICKS NICKS13:11
ogra_isnt the short form of at_the_loo actually _otp (out to pee) ?13:11
Laneya noise free IRC experience, but it does mean that you miss when people impersonate the big boss13:11
pittiogra_: haha13:11
pittiTGIF (or actually, it isn't yet!)13:11
pittiproxy + NickServ FTW!13:12
pittiLaney: it would be much funnier doing that with pinging poettering in #systemd :)13:12
Laney"Let's talk about job opportunities"13:13
mlankhorstLaney: actually i keep parts and kicks enabled, very few people part13:14
mlankhorstor get kicked :P13:14
pittiweechat has some intelligent mode where it only shows parts/joins of people that recently spoke13:15
pittithat filters out almost all the noise, but makes you aware that you are about to reply to someone who just talked and ran13:15
* Laney wonders why panel BDs on e-d-s13:16
Laneyfor the clock applet I guess13:16
seb128Laney, likely indeed13:17
Laneydoing test rebuilds for that now13:17
Laneymanaged to make webkit build fail by running out of memory :|13:18
=== MacSlow|lunch is now known as MacSlow
asacseb128: i am not even a core-dev :)13:22
seb128asac, https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mir/+members#active has you though13:23
mlankhorstit has me too :P13:23
seb128Laney, ;-)13:28
seb128asac, ^ problem solved13:28
pittidesrt: so, I had to run last night; wrt. the sendsigs.omit stuff, should I just clean up my patch a bit and push, or do you want to rewrite that somehow? I can certainly change it to use g_file_set_contents or something similar, if that's more palatable13:28
Sweetsharkheh, "I take an old version of a lib, monkey patch it and then inject the binary it on top of a newer version of a 10 million LOC (plus deps) project"  http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Replacing-one-DLL-from-official-build-td4082935.html13:31
LaneySweetshark: reminds me of https://github.com/abock/clutter-sharp/commit/3bb49743d89f0a3f8fb4b26208735589a2a2f2a113:33
SweetsharkLaney: heh, nice.13:34
asacLaney: omg... did you hit the button for real>?13:35
* ogra_ makes a note to assign a bunch of MIRs mlankhorst and asac 13:36
asaci dont think he hit the button13:36
Laneyasac: haha, no13:36
seb128Laney, you should do it13:37
Laneywe have been expecting an email13:38
ogra_seb128, ++13:38
ogra_all of ubuntu touch will have to go to main this cycle ... the MIR team definitely needs asac and mlankhorst13:38
seb128asac, joke aside, MIR team is understaffed seing the number of touch component that are going to be reviewed, you are sure you don't have free slot to help there?13:38
ogra_heh, snap13:39
seb128asac, if you don't you are going to hit the issue from a management side and need to find manpower to do reviews before it blocks things for touch13:39
asacogra_: i really cant do it... really. if i do that i will drop the balls on many other things wehere i shouldnt do it13:40
asacseb128: who sets the standards for MIR?13:40
* asac will chat about that with core leads today13:40
ogra_a wikipage that was designed over the years13:41
seb128asac, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MainInclusionProcess13:41
asacwell. lets take a step back... the MIR team is basically delegated to commit canonical to support them, correct?13:41
seb128ogra_, snap :p13:41
=== alan_g|lunch is now known as alan_g
asacMIR is a delegate entitled to commit on behalf of canonical that we will support it with our paid engineering force13:42
asacor not?13:42
seb128asac, well, the MIR team is just made of trusted people doing review to ack that those source are maintainable13:42
seb128not sure if that's Canonical supported13:42
seb128I though we only supported a subset of main?13:43
asacimportant difference13:43
asaci will check with steve/colin today on my call13:43
mdeslaurseb128: we support all of main13:43
seb128you better talk to slangasek or cjwatson13:43
seb128mdeslaur, what was the archive reorg about then?13:44
seb128mdeslaur, do we support everything at the same level?13:44
asacmdeslaur: why do we not just auto approve everything that comes from our own engineering teams and rather fight the "quality of code/maintainability" at a different level?13:44
mdeslaurseb128: we want to be able to not support everything at the same level13:44
asace.g. imo its wrong to put something in place that does a final review if we want to support software that we have put manyears of development into :)13:44
pittibecause we at least need to do a check for dependencies in main, and some packaging/security check13:44
mdeslaurasac: because the mir process is where we audit the security saneness of code and is where we discover issues13:45
mdeslaurasac: also, our stuff tends to pull in massive amounts to dependencies which we don't control13:45
mdeslaurasac: so we need to make a decision on those dependencies also13:45
asacmdeslaur: yeah. so in general i think it makes sense to have a check for "3rd party software"13:45
asacfor our software if its just about dependencies, this should be automatically done continuously elsewhere ...13:45
asace.g. before the damage is done13:46
ogra_asac, what prevents us from doing bad stuff in non third party SW ?13:46
mdeslaurasac: yes, that would be nice :)13:46
ogra_even our own packages will have issues that will only be discovered by peer reviews of MIR and security people13:46
jdstrandfyi, the archive reorg is still incomplete akaik13:46
asacogra_: nothing, but we have many other places where we should put such quality control in place13:47
ogra_asac, it is also about packaging quality etc13:47
asacinstead of creating this big bottleneck13:47
asacevery core dev should be able to produce good enough packaging quality, no?13:47
ogra_asac, i.e. imagine the unity team wants to be clever and switches the packages to cdbs ...13:47
mdeslaurasac: so this is where, in the process, that it's decided that stuff is good enough to officially say we're going to support it13:47
jdstrandmuch of what is requested for main is not core-dev13:47
asacogra_: every packaging change gest reviewd by core-devs13:47
asacas part of CI already13:47
asacwe just have to tell them what rules to apply13:48
ogra_asac, and ? being core-dev wont make you errorproof13:48
mdeslaurasac: there's no sense in doing a security audit of v 0.0.1 of something when none of that code remains once we hit a version that's ready13:48
seb128asac, well, even core dev make errors, that's the same reason we have NEW review before entering the archive13:48
asacseb128: sure, but for that we can establish a more scalable peer review system13:48
seb128yeah, that would work13:48
seb128we need reviews somewhere13:48
asace.g. if you want to go for main, find 1 or two other core devs that +1 your packaging13:48
ogra_in fact NEW and MIR are largely the same, just that NEW is a lot looser13:49
seb128I don't care much where they happen/how we call the team doing those13:49
jdstrandactually, MIR assumes NEW has happened usually13:49
ogra_but their processes are similar13:49
seb128asac, well, except that most packagers don't care/are not careful about e.g licenses compatibility13:49
seb128asac, we often caught errors in NEW from coredevs there13:50
jdstrandNEW deals with suitability for the archive. MIR deals with supportability primarily13:50
jdstrand(there is of course overlap)13:50
asacfor me everything that we have in CI is supportable :)13:50
ogra_jdstrand, right, a new review system could offer both though ... just with more stricter rules for MIR13:50
mdeslaurasac: oh geez, no :)13:50
asacmdeslaur: why not? we have developed it, we will support it13:51
mdeslaurasac: you wouldn't believe the security state of dependencies in universe13:51
jdstrandbut NEW doesn't care about security reviews and testsuites and bug subscribers for example. and MIR isn't looking at licensing unless it is in multiverse or restricted already13:51
ogra_asac, what does CI do to prevent code backdoors being introduced ?13:51
asacmdeslaur: ok its about new dependencies not in CI13:51
asacthats beter and might reduce the set of things that need thorough review13:51
mdeslaurasac: again, it's not really the canonical developed stuff that is the usual bottleneck, it's the cascade dependencies13:51
ogra_(or code that obviously does silly things)13:52
asacogra_: if people introduce backdoors in our upstream code base we have a bigger problem :)13:52
ogra_(which only a security person might recognize)13:52
asacand MIR is probably the wrong place to solve that :)13:52
asacrather random security audits of random trees13:52
mdeslaurwow, it would be nice to have the manpower to do that :)13:52
ogra_well, i just want to know what makes CI so much more trustworthy13:52
jdstrandasac: backdoors> it is a different problem yes. cause once a MIR is ack'd there are no more security reviews13:53
asaclets not mix things up :)13:53
jdstrandbut, the MIR security audit is valuable13:53
jdstrandif done at the right time. it is not hugely valuable if done too early and everything is rewritten in a month13:53
asacjdstrand: right. but the value can probably also be created outside a bottleneck :)13:53
asacactually should13:54
jdstrandwe find more security issues in our own stuff than in dependencies needing to move to main tbh13:54
ogra_well, watever system you use, you need humans to do the actual audit in the end13:54
asaci really what you really want is a scheduling of security audits that happens exactly once13:54
ogra_which iis your bottleneck13:54
asacdoesnt need to be hooked up to the MIR bottleneck13:54
ogra_asac, but code changes ...13:54
mdeslaurso you want two bottlenecks? :)13:54
jdstrandthere are two reasons for that: a) because Canonical is on the hook and we have no other upstream help, we look harder and b) the code is newer13:55
ogra_so security holes might be introduced later again13:55
mdeslauralso, this is the point at which the teams in question have an incentive to fix the issues we find :P13:56
asacogra_: right. hence the MIR security audit thing doesnt really help much. I think the main value is to really look at random code regularly and then educate upstreams about wrong pattenrs etc.13:56
ogra_the MIR audit is at least a stop gap so we know when a package enters the supported set it is good13:56
mdeslaurasac: I disagree, this is the point at which we software is at a point where it's relatively stable, at which point the security audit is an important part of the process13:56
ogra_we should definitely have more and regular audits13:56
jdstrandI might also point out that if something is a 'must have' for main, we've said "go ahead, we'll do the security review later, but please address any security concerns if we find them"13:56
ogra_but that will require more security staff13:57
jdstrandthis happened with mir for example. we knew we wanted to take a long look at it13:57
jdstrandwe should have more regular audits13:57
asacjdstrand: rihght. thats more like the model i have ... a decoupled audit13:57
jdstrandwe can't do it now13:57
asacthat you can handle with continous flat load13:57
asacif you block on this you get those awful peaks13:57
asacwhich you cant measure and hence you cant argue for staffing13:58
ogra_but you need to do an audit when it enters supported13:58
ogra_or at least one thats tied to the entering13:58
asacif everyone agrees that everythging needs to have 1 audit per year and you run that with constant load, then you can easily measure the overload and staff accordingly13:58
jdstrandasac: there is a problem with that in the general sense though. if it is already in main, there is less incentive to fix it. I could pull out bugs from various teams that are still open13:58
mdeslaurwe'll end up supporting something that may have a serious design flaw, and we'll need to support it for 5 years without the major changes required to fix it13:58
jdstrandwe can't do 1 audit per year13:58
asacjdstrand: this again is a separate problem13:58
jdstrandthere are thousands of packages in main13:58
ogra_details :P13:59
mdeslaurgetting rid of the mir process isn't going to magically fix the mir team staffing issues, it just makes the whole process go away13:59
ogra_which wont help the quality14:00
mdeslaurthen we'll end up shipping stuff with design flaws and major security issues14:00
mdeslaurand libraries where upstream has stopped development years ago and which contain security flaws14:00
mdeslaurand we'll end up with 15 javascript engines to support :)14:01
jdstrand1219164, 1226569, 1230091, 123691214:01
jdstrandthose are from this cycle. I could find more14:01
jdstrandI acknowledge there are problems14:02
asaclet me think a bit14:02
jdstrandarchive reorg is not done yet and build-deps (ie, non-runtime) are still requiring support14:03
jdstrandso there is a ton of effort spent on sorting out build dependencies, when we should only be caring about runtime dependencies14:03
jdstrandif we sorted that out, there would be much less wasted time for the developers and the reviewers14:04
mdeslauryes, a large quantity of MIRs are for build depends which aren't important14:05
mdeslaurthat would definitely lighten the load for the mir team14:05
jdstrandI'm hoping that after application/webapps/scopes confinement (ie, anything we ship in the appstore) works on converged, then my team will be able to be more proactive with audits. but that is several cycles away14:05
jdstrandI don't know that we have to mandate a certain number of audits a year or anything. I do think a security audit for sensitive things going in to main is useful. every major project we develop that has run across our desks has benefited from that review14:07
jdstrandespecially because the code is so new14:07
mdeslaurit's not as if most get though without changes14:08
jdstrandyes-- when they do, it is usually due to an established piece of software that has had years of production use and an active upstream14:09
mdeslaurone of the criteria to having the process successful is to not have a conflict of interest between the developers wanting the package in main and the team reviewing it14:12
jdstrandalso, I think if we are seriously considering finishing archive reorg, then we need to weigh the cost of that work and the distraction against the actual pain felt. I'm not sure where the scale will tip to be honest-- there is a lot of development effort spent on sorting out build-dep MIRs or their avoidance14:14
jdstrandbut the people doing the reorg would not be able to do their important work14:15
jdstrand(which is why we are still where we are)14:15
desrtpitti: i was going to do it myself but if you want to do it i'd recommend the following:14:29
desrt1) use g_file_set_contents()14:29
desrt2) do it just before the call to shutdown/reboot and don't bother with the unlink14:30
pittidesrt: makes sense, yes14:31
desrtpitti: so i'm happy to do it, but if you want to, you can :)14:35
pittidesrt: might just as well finish this up myself now :)14:38
pittidesrt: btw, did you put the 4 tarball anywhere? the debian/watch address disappeared, so I just ran make dist myself14:39
desrtpitti: i forgot that i was publishing tarballs before :)14:39
desrti'll do a 5 release after this fix14:39
desrtlemme guess; was at ~ryanl?14:39
pittidesrt: yes14:40
desrtmy gnome account got renamed to 'desrt'14:40
pittiso let's put the 5 tarball there once that bug gets fixed14:41
pittiI'll update debian/copyright and watch next time14:41
=== greyback is now known as greyback|away
didrocksjdstrand: btw, if you have critical bugs on components we are upstream for, you can just signal them to me and we can block their release until it's fixed14:52
didrocksjdstrand: this will be a good incentive :)14:52
jdstrandack, thanks14:53
seb128jdstrand, did you see my ping about telepathy-mission-control yesterday?15:06
Laneykenvandine: robru: Just noticed that friends fails to build in trusty :(15:06
Laneykenvandine: http://people.canonical.com/~laney/weird-things/friends_0.2.0+14.04.20131108.1-0ubuntu1_amd64-20131113-1343.build.gz15:09
jdstrandseb128: I did not15:10
seb128jdstrand, hey, I want to update telepathy-mission-control-5 to the current stable serie (5.16) ... is that something you started on/are interested doing (I guess not)? if not, how do you usually test that the apparmor profile needs tweak? just running empathy&co and checking that everything work/the logs have no DENY?15:13
kenvandineLaney, thanks... i wonder if there are GI changes that broke libaccounts15:13
Laneykenvandine: hmm, looks like the build in trusty built against libaccounts-glib (and other things) from the PPA which isn't in T yet15:16
kenvandine«BUILDDIR»/friends-0.2.0+14.04.20131108.1/friends/utils/authentication.py:39: Warning: Custom constructor for class AgManager returned NULL (which is invalid).  Unable to remove object from construction_objects list, so memory was probably just leaked.  Please use GInitable instead.15:17
=== alan_g is now known as alan_g|tea
jdstrandseb128: I've not done a merge on it. If I were, I would just test it in empathy, yes15:19
seb128jdstrand, ok, do you want me to steal the merge/update from you? ;-)15:20
jdstrandseb128: please feel free- I am behind on merges atm15:20
seb128jdstrand, ok, I'm doing that one then, thanks ;-)15:21
jdstrandseb128: I'm on trusty already if you want me to help test. thanks!15:21
seb128jdstrand, ok, I might give you a ping for a round of testing once I've the update ready, thanks15:21
=== alan_g|tea is now known as alan_g
Sweetsharkanyone knows by chance if/why/how much debians git hosting is down?15:40
happyaronSweetshark: http://lists.debian.org/debian-infrastructure-announce/2013/11/msg00001.html15:41
seb128Laney, https://launchpadlibrarian.net/156496401/buildlog_ubuntu-trusty-i386.empathy_3.8.5-0ubuntu1_FAILEDTOBUILD.txt.gz15:43
seb128Laney,  libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev : Depends: libwebkitgtk-common-dev (= 2.2.1-2ubuntu2) but it is not installable15:43
seb128Laney, is that expect/a known issue?15:43
seb128wait, let me guess, I didn't promote some of the binaries I guess15:43
Laneyis that in main?15:43
seb128Laney, empathy? yes15:43
Laneythe package it is complaining about15:43
seb128Laney, it's empathy (cf the build log)15:44
=== greyback|away is now known as greyback
Laneyno, it's complaining about libwebkitgtk-common-dev15:44
Laneylibwebkitgtk-common-dev | 2.2.1-2ubuntu2 | trusty/universe | amd64, armhf, i386, powerpc15:44
seb128Laney, right, as said I missed some binaries earlier, fixing it15:44
* Laney nod15:44
seb128Laney, I wish there was a command to tell "promote only the binaries that are useful in main"15:44
=== m_conley_away is now known as m_conley
=== m_conley is now known as m_conley_away
Laneywhy do we still have evolution-indicator?16:40
Laneyah, well, the port was easy16:46
Laneyit lives to die another day16:46
davmor2Laney: incase someone install evolution :)16:47
seb128Laney, because without it we wouldn't have messaging menu integration16:48
LaneyI see, it's not providing its own indicator16:48
seb128why would it?16:51
seb128messages go in the messaging menu ;-)16:51
Laneyit's called evolution-indicator16:51
Laneynot evolution-messaging-menu16:51
seb128yeah, the name is misleading16:51
Laneysounded like some crufty thing16:51
seb128it's like telepathy-indicator16:51
=== gatox is now known as gatox_lunch
Laneywell, we should start using the upstream project again then ;-)16:53
LaneyOkay, everything apart from friends is built for new e-d-s16:55
pittiseb128: uploading g-icon-theme 3.10, FTR17:15
seb128pitti, danke!17:15
pittiso that and g-i-t-symbolic should become installable again, and thus deja-dup's test should be back to green soon17:15
seb128pitti, there is a new gvfs out if you feel like doing another desktop update this week btw ;-)17:16
pittimterry: ^17:16
pittiif we ever get back our DC, that is :)17:16
pittiseb128: not today any more, but I'll keep it in mind17:22
seb128pitti, yeah, no hurry, thanks ;-)17:22
asacpitti: which systems do you miss the most in the DC?17:22
seb128I might get to it, but I've a bunch of others one on my list before17:22
seb128larsu, btw how is GTK going?17:22
asacpitti: please let ev know which ones we should prioritize to come back first for you17:22
pittiasac: autopkgtest (aldebaran, alderamin, wazn, and albali), as we currently promote packages into ubuntu wihtout checks17:24
pittiasac: and the upstream merge proposal machines17:24
pittiasac: so I guess "half the DC" :)17:24
asacpitti: any subset of the autopkttest infrastructure that would be helpful in the first batch?17:24
asacpitti: or is it an either all or nothing thing?17:24
pittiasac: we need at least one slave (one of these four), and for the jenkins controller, I suppose17:25
mterrypitti, ah thanks!  I was wondering why deja-dup was failing17:25
pittimterry: it's in the log, it can't install gnome-icon-theme17:25
mterrypitti, I saw the log, but couldn't see which specific package was at fault.  And I was able to install things locally, so I was confused17:26
pittimterry: it runs with proposed enabled17:26
mterrypitti, ah fair.  I forgot that17:26
pittimterry: see http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/testing/trusty-proposed_probs.html17:27
pittithat has the deja-dup install error17:27
robruLaney, hmmm, neither ken nor I can reproduce that friends failure locally.17:37
LaneyI just used a clean schroot17:37
Laneylet me upload to a PPA17:38
robruLaney, I confirmed I had the same version of libaccounts-glib mentioned in that build log...17:38
asacseb128: the latest X makes my system be crashy17:48
asac 6209.979215] [drm] stuck on render ring17:49
asac[ 6209.979217] [drm] capturing error event; look for more information in /sys/class/drm/card0/error17:49
asac[ 6209.989170] [drm:i915_set_reset_status] *ERROR* render ring hung inside bo (0x30386000 ctx 1) at 0x303861d817:49
asac[ 6209.989194] [drm:i915_set_reset_status] *ERROR* render ring hung flushing bo (0x2d633000 ctx 0) at 0x303861d817:49
asacsecond time my system frooze today17:49
asacerr first time it was a hard reset17:49
asacthis time the X session froze17:49
asacseb128: who is doing X?17:49
seb128asac, mlankhorst17:49
asacmlankhorst: ^17:49
seb128asac, we didn't get a new xorg/intel driver though17:49
seb128asac, did you get a new kernel?17:49
asacwhat shall i do? ubuntu-bug xort?17:49
asacseb128: thats odd ... it was rock solid until today when i got a hard reset17:50
seb128could be https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/+source/libdrm/2.4.46-4 I guess17:50
asacseb128: maybe just coincident17:50
=== gatox_lunch is now known as gatox
seb128though that seems for nvidia cards17:50
seb128asac, what did you update today?17:50
seb128dpkg.log should tell you17:50
asacthats the package update log from yesterday and today17:51
asacgrub triggered new initramfs updates17:52
asacSetting up xserver-xorg-glamoregl:i386 (0.5.1-0ubuntu4.1) ...17:52
asacnot sure what that is17:52
seb128that's for nvidia cards/nouveau IIRC17:52
seb128but your log suggest you are on intel17:53
asacyeah its a nice x220 :)17:53
asacso today my USB ports started to power off etc.17:53
asacand i get freezes/crashes17:53
seb128when did you get a kernel update?17:54
asacseb128: do you know how i can figure when i last rebooted?17:54
asacmaybe i had a new kernel ages ago and never rebooted17:54
asacis there like a "reboot" log?17:54
Laneyrobru: did you try building friends in a clean chroot?17:55
seb128asac, "uptime"?17:56
robruLaney, no. should i try it in pbuilder?17:56
Laneyrobru: yeah, see if it happens tehre17:56
asacseb128: well, i surely rebooted after the hard crash :)17:56
Laneyif not I've just done it on a canonistack instance that you can have access to17:56
asacbecause it just resetted17:56
asaci wonder how long i didnt do that before though so i can find the kernel update17:56
robruLaney, bah, gonna take a minute to update my pbuilder image17:57
seb128asac, grep "/proc/kmsg started" /var/log/syslog*17:58
seb128seems like that would do it17:58
asacseb128: had to use zgrep :)... otherwise just one result17:59
Laneyrobru: Ah, the messages from libaccounts-glib were correct17:59
asacseems before the hard reset i rebooted on nov 818:00
Laneyrobru: Try building with HOME=/something/that/doesnt/exist18:00
Laneywell, running the testsuite I guess18:00
asacseb128: i got a new kernel on nov 1218:00
robruLaney, ahhh18:00
asacPreparing to replace linux-image-3.12.0-2-generic 3.12.0-2.5 (using .../linux-image-3.12.0-2-generic_3.12.0-2.7_i386.deb) ...18:00
asacseb128: you think that doesnt touch intel drivers?18:00
LaneyI'd try the old kernel and see if it goes away18:00
seb128asac, I would blame the kernel18:01
seb128asac, try booting the previous one18:01
asaci cant reproduce easily :)18:01
asacjust happens every few hours18:01
asacso yeah i can go back, but then i cant get infos for ogasawara18:01
seb128well, boot the previous one and see if you are still happy in a few days18:01
seb128ok, keep running the new one and ask the kernel team what infos they need maybe?18:02
asacok i got the USB port powering down problem again18:02
asacrunning ubuntu-bug linux18:02
seb128"dpkg-shlibdeps: error: no dependency information found for debian/empathy/usr/lib/empathy/libempathy-3.8.5.so (used by debian/nautilus-sendto-empathy/usr/lib/nautilus-sendto/plugins/libnstempathy.so)"18:03
seb128what's going on there18:03
asacrecently i was ranting about windows requiring you to install mouse drivers because their "default" usb stack seems flaky18:04
asacnow we have a broken USB too :)18:04
asacnever had that for ages18:04
* Laney waves18:05
Laneyuploaded webkit & blocked it in proposed for some more manual testing18:05
Laneysee you tomorrow18:05
=== alan_g is now known as alan_g|EOD
* asac on 3.11 kernel now18:10
asacso far pretty good stuff18:10
mlankhorstback :P18:10
mlankhorstpinging me after EOD is not guaranteed to give a reply18:11
mlankhorstbut looks like a kernel issue18:11
asacmlankhorst: dont worry. i am fully aware about the hit/miss ratio on IRC :)18:11
asacin reality its much better than email though :)18:12
robruLaney, looks fine in pbuilder. you were saying $HOME needs to not exist?18:23
robruLaney, i'm not sure how to override $HOME inside pbuilder. pbuilder fails to even start if I do it the obvious way.18:24
robruLaney, kenvandine wants to know in what kind of build environment you found this bug18:40
kenvandinereading back he said in a clean schroot18:40
kenvandineLaney, did you try in a PPA?18:40
mfischIs there a tool I can use to see where the icons I specify come from, as in the order?19:38
mfischSomething like fc-list but for icons19:38
mfischI specify "Foo" and it's finding Foo in ~ rather than /usr/share/icons, and I'm curious why19:39
seb128mfisch, wget https://launchpad.net/icon-library/trunk/lucid-release/+download/iconlibrary02052010.tar.gz; tar xvf iconlibrary02052010.tar.gz; cd iconlibrary; ./icon-library.py19:44
seb128mfisch, not sure that does what you want but that's an useful tool/likely to help you19:44
mfischseb128: thanks, I'll take a look19:48
mfischseb128: I was quite surprised to see it finding icons in a random . folder in ~19:49
mfischsomething about my main icons unity does not like19:49
mfischunity-2d is cool with them though19:49
=== MalcontentMatt is now known as mjohnson15
tedgmterry, I've got deja-dup giving me a "Permission Denied" error dialog.  I can't seem to figure out what it is getting denied on.  How do I find that out?21:35
mterrytedg, huh.  This is during backup?  Try: DEJA_DUP_DEBUG=1 deja-dup --backup21:36
tedgmterry, Yeah, nothing there.21:36
mterrythat's crazy talk21:36
mterrytedg, that means we aren't actually getting to the point of calling duplicity21:37
mterrytedg, where is the backup?21:37
tedgHa, you're just saying it's crazy because it's your bug?  ;-)21:37
mterrytedg, :)21:37
tedgmterry, I'm trying to back up over SSH.21:37
tedgWell SFTP, but yeah.21:37
mterrytedg, can you mount it in nautilus fine?21:37
mterryand then try backing up again?21:38
tedgYeah, works in nautilus but not deja-dup21:39
=== MalcontentMatt is now known as mjohnson15
=== MalcontentMatt is now known as mjohnson15
Trevinhorobert_ancell: hey, I've forgot one branch of the series.. this should be the last one :P22:28

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!