=== kgunn is now known as Guest2511
=== cyphase is now known as Guest88980
=== _salem is now known as salem_
=== salem_ is now known as _salem
Saviqelopio, hey, I07:37
Saviq've had to tweak the dash emulators a bit in https://code.launchpad.net/~saviq/unity8/drop-filtergrid/+merge/22633607:37
Saviqelopio, can I please ask you for a sanity check?07:37
Saviqmhr3, in case you're interested: https://code.launchpad.net/~saviq/unity8/drop-filtergrid/+merge/22641508:34
Saviqmhr3, I'll do the prelim see all/less and header links now08:34
Saviqbut I've implemented collapsed-rows: 0 there08:35
Saviqand forceful expansion of single-category scope pags08:35
mzanettioh... no more filtergrid :)08:43
Saviqmzanetti, yeah, we're letting the views do their job for maintaining delegates08:52
Saviqmzanetti, not sure why we decided otherwise before08:53
mhr3Saviq, hmm, feel like that cute dog again :/09:06
mhr3Saviq, i do like the diff stats though ;)09:07
Saviqmhr3, yeah, so, FilterGrid was something that actually applied a proxy model that limited the number of items in the model09:09
Saviqmhr3, to collapse it09:10
Saviqmhr3, but that was stoopid, since *Views just manage delegates themselves if they're out of view09:10
mhr3sounds simple when you put it that way09:12
mhr3but looking at the code, it doesn't :)09:12
Saviqmhr3, all in all, grid/journal/carousel just say "I'm yay high, but if you want to collapse me, then it's foo"09:13
Saviqmhr3, and GenericScopeView decides when to collapse09:13
Saviqmhr3, before it was the views themselves doing the expand/collapse (as you saw in your branch, the setFilter() branch that got replaced with grow()/shrink())09:14
mhr3yeah, all makes sense, i guess it's just that refactoring diffs aren't that easy to read when you're not familiar with all the relevant components09:17
Saviqmhr3, indeed09:22
seb128Saviq, bregma: is there a known slowness issue currently on untiy8 desktop? I just installed the daily and going back to the dash or opening an indicator is hanging for like 30 seconds before doing anything10:18
Saviqseb128, I'd suspect bug #134008610:23
ubot5bug 1340086 in telephony-service (Ubuntu) "Importing Ubuntu.Telephony 0.1 causes hang when there's no telephony accounts" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/134008610:23
seb128Saviq, could be, thanks10:26
Saviqseb128, I tried pinging boiko and tiagosh about it, but never got a reply10:27
seb128Saviq, tried as well, let's see10:28
Saviqseb128, a "workaround" is to get an ofono account on your desktop, I'm not clear on how to do that, though..10:28
tsdgeosSaviq: so "All" includes "Favorites", i understand in a non favorite "All" scope we have to show the back button to go back, what about a favorite scope that we press in "All"?10:31
tsdgeosgo back to regular dash? or show with the "back" button too?10:31
tsdgeosi think back button is more predicatble10:31
Saviqtsdgeos, current design is that you always go back to dash for favourites10:32
tsdgeosSaviq: even if it's in "ALl"?10:32
tsdgeoswhere does it say that?10:32
Saviqtsdgeos, I might have extrapolated from the comments on https://sites.google.com/a/canonical.com/unity8dash/scopes/dash-overview10:34
Saviqmikenagle, hey, just realized one thing... if bottom swipe is always meant to bring the overview, we can't open non-favourites above the overview, 'cause then if you bottom-swipe you open another overview... and then another scope, and another overview...10:35
Saviqtsdgeos, I did ask for that case transition there, never got it though10:35
tsdgeosthe comments section kind of contradicts the main text too10:35
tsdgeosmain text says bottom edge is disabled in "Installed, non favourite scopes opened from the overview screen"10:36
tsdgeosbut then comments say "If they open it from a non favourite, installed scope, they go to the All view."10:36
tsdgeosi think i like first more10:36
Saviqtsdgeos, indeed10:37
Saviqtsdgeos, sounds like comments were earlier than the text at the top10:37
Saviqtsdgeos, text at top takes precedence of course10:37
Saviqtsdgeos, btw... not translucent here https://f966f709-a-c881af26-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/canonical.com/unity8dash/scopes/dash-overview/01_Dash_scopes_nav_full_dark_v7.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cpwbv7LCcNXKBgQbQooqmxRSUza5vfcPmdnUNhREphFeP9I0Ol_6CkNw5ixwLtTQxvRaJLA3nILmOGgancNaxrIfUkqoye7EgvQJFFTkCABUMCHUAXIAYMQsHaRGoLB17rIBiZ_pEfWL5hr1StfEhTegTWTUnNEx_HIFPORU236CtMZv7XQkt5tL1EOoXdimjnJsfvnC8_wif1IMvigB9WYnR_ZYzcY0qTEODhpwfvHxOctqZnhLsmbf08LMdhR7z9jwXv4YZ10:38
SaviqPLu9qqARglEYFYw42tLw%3D%3D&attredirects=0 :|10:38
tsdgeosthey can decide what they want10:39
tsdgeosthat's the easy fi10:39
mhr3Saviq, anyone working on the 30second hang?10:44
Saviqmzanetti, bug #1340632, sounds like live: true isn't good :|10:44
ubot5bug 1340632 in unity8 (Ubuntu) "[QtComp] vertical scroll in launcher is laggy" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/134063210:44
mzanettiSaviq: not sure if its related yet10:44
Saviqmhr3, I couldn't get through to boiko or tiagosh :|10:44
MacSlowWhat changed in the way unity8 is started (on the desktop)? The shell-UI does no come up anymore and all of a sudden I get is this output on stdout: http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/777963510:48
mzanettiSaviq: ok... have 9 apps running now... the launcher doesn't get any more jumpy than the rest of the ui10:53
Saviqmzanetti, 9 apps *running*10:53
mzanettiSaviq: ok... have 9 apps recent now... the launcher doesn't get any more jumpy than the rest of the ui10:54
Saviqmzanetti, I misread the bug probably then10:54
Saviqmzanetti, so yeah, I think we have a "shell gets slow with many apps open" bug already10:54
mzanettiwell, let me ask back to confirm10:54
mzanettiI'll handle that bug10:55
Saviqmzanetti, oh and it was a qtcomp bug...11:02
* Saviq shuts up11:02
mzanettiSaviq: :)11:02
mzanettino worries11:02
Saviqyou probably don't even have live: true in there yet ;)11:02
mzanettiSaviq: if its landed in trunk we do. We're up to date with trunk atm11:02
tsdgeosSaviq: i'm unsure how i'm supposed to find out which "all" scope is each, i mean they are cards, how do i get to know which scope they represent?11:06
Saviqtsdgeos, probably from uri11:07
Saviqmhr3, ↑?11:07
tsdgeosSaviq: mhr3: so we make uri return the scope_id?11:07
Saviqtsdgeos, rather a canned query11:07
mhr3yea, it already is11:07
Saviqtsdgeos, from which we need to take scope_id out11:07
mhr3but tbh it feels weird that we're using the standard scopes models for the super-special scopes overview11:08
tsdgeoshow do i do that?  and what's a canned query (so i can create it from my fake scope)?11:09
mhr3tsdgeos, it's scope://[scope_id]?q=query_string&whatev11:09
Saviqtsdgeos, truth be told, can you not find out from openScope() / gotoScope()?11:10
Saviqnot good11:10
Saviqtsdgeos, you here?11:11
Saviqmhr3, TBH I wonder if we should not get rid of openScope / gotoScope, and let the shell open the scope and pass the query to it11:11
tsdgeosi am11:11
Saviqmhr3, the "I activate, you come back with a scope" approach mechanism feels shaky11:12
mhr3Saviq, it's not just the query though, it's department id, filters state, whatever metadata11:12
tsdgeosSaviq: so you're suggesting i just call activate and the scope will emit gotoscope?11:13
Saviqmhr3, isn't canned query supposed to have all that?11:13
mhr3Saviq, yes, sure11:14
Saviqtsdgeos, for now, yes11:14
=== MacSlow is now known as MacSlow|lunch
Saviqmhr3, dash will have to become a handler for scope:/// anyway11:14
Saviqmhr3, you already added processQuery()11:15
tsdgeosSaviq: damn, this means i have to implement all that in the fake plugin scope :D11:15
Saviqtsdgeos, or convince mhr3 to what I'm saying above ;)11:15
mhr3Saviq, true11:15
mhr3so far i'm not convinced either way11:15
mhr3give me a reason why is it a good idea11:15
Saviqmhr3, I feel it's a bit unexpected for us to activate and then get back a scope11:16
Saviqmhr3, the dash knows about scopes, it should handle them itself11:16
Saviqmhr3, so it can prepare11:16
Saviqmhr3, otherwise we'll have to give you the query just so that you pass it back up to us (in the form of a scope)11:16
tsdgeoshonestly in this case i'd just like to have a scope_id i can use11:18
tsdgeosthe only thing i'm going to do is open the scope11:18
mhr3Saviq, feels like you assume you always know the canned query up front11:18
mhr3but what if you don't11:18
Saviqmhr3, when don't I?11:18
mhr3activating preview action perhaps?11:18
Saviqmhr3, you can come back to me with "open canned query"11:19
Saviqand pass the query back11:19
Saviqmhr3, even easier for you, it can come through url dispatcher11:19
Saviqmhr3, but really, the button should just come with the canned query11:19
mhr3Saviq, but tbh i don't see much of a difference really, if i give you just uris all the time you will anyway have to go and ask something - give me a scope object for this11:20
Saviqmhr3, sure, but I will expect it11:21
tsdgeoslet's not change stuff for the moment11:21
tsdgeoslet's do the activate + openscope11:21
Saviqtsdgeos, yeah, I agree let's go with what we have now11:21
mhr3Saviq, so it's previews all over again? :)11:22
Saviqmhr3, anyway, I will need the case where I get the query and you don't know anyway, through url-dispatcher11:22
Saviqmhr3, what about previews?/11:22
mhr3Saviq, reminded me of the switch from "maybe you'll get a preview back, maybe not"11:22
mhr3to.. whatever we have now :)11:23
Saviqmhr3, yeah exactly ;)11:23
mhr3Saviq, bottomline, i'm fine if you want it changed, not much of a difference from my pov11:23
Saviqmhr3, I think there's one important thing that might happen11:24
greybackSaviq: hey dude, seen bug 1340412 ?11:24
ubot5bug 1340412 in Unity 8 "Unity8 regulary freezes on app start and return to phone shell and focusing an application" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/134041211:24
Saviqgreyback, ouch11:25
Saviqmhr3, is that when there's a canned query for a favourite, I don't think we'll be going back to the dash with it11:25
Saviqmhr3, at which point you'd in the plugin suddenly have to know where the query came from11:26
Saviqwhich I don't think you want to11:26
greybackSaviq: it was fine about 10 days ago, I don't think I've updated manta since11:26
Saviqgreyback, we'll have to bisect images11:27
Saviq'll try and get some time for it somewhen11:27
mhr3Saviq, right, as i said, can change, give me new api, can implement it11:28
Saviqmhr3, k11:28
greybackSaviq: ta11:28
Saviqmzanetti, would you have some time to review https://code.launchpad.net/~saviq/unity8/drop-filtergrid/+merge/226415 ?11:29
=== MacSlow|lunch is now known as MacSlow
mhr3miso      2179  1.5  0.0      0     0 ?        Zsl  11:43   0:43 [unity8] <defunct>11:31
mhr3started by upstart ^^11:31
mhr3what's one thing that init daemon is supposed to do?11:31
mhr3can't be collecting zombies right?11:31
mzanettiSaviq: yes11:32
MacSlowSaviq, in the latest jenkins-run of the unity8-combo-button-support branch all notification-related qml- and AP-tests pass... only the unrelated testDashContent fails (https://code.launchpad.net/~macslow/unity8/combo-button-support/+merge/221499)11:32
mhr3one thing it does do well, is crashing your session if things go wrong11:33
MacSlowSaviq, I really don't know what more I can do to get it past jenkins11:33
SaviqMacSlow, "Segmentation fault"11:35
SaviqMacSlow, qmltestrunner segfaults on you11:35
SaviqMacSlow, but it's obviously not your fault11:35
SaviqMacSlow, so it's ok, we'll have to spend some time to fix DashContent outside11:35
MacSlowSaviq, ok11:36
SaviqMacSlow, I'll kick jenkins again to see if it's actually triggered by your branch, but I rather doubt it11:36
MacSlowSaviq, btw... I can't start unity8 on the desktop anymore... not sure if you saw my earlier remark here.11:37
SaviqMacSlow, wait for it... bug #134008611:37
ubot5bug 1340086 in telephony-service (Ubuntu) "Importing Ubuntu.Telephony 0.1 causes hang when there's no telephony accounts" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/134008611:37
SaviqMacSlow, give it 30s11:37
Saviqmzanetti, I'm adding tests, almost there, but those can be reviewed separately11:38
MacSlowSaviq, I gave it several minutes... it just spewed out some errors regarding a scope on the terminal11:38
SaviqMacSlow, hmm then different11:39
MacSlowdoes anybody else see this on their desktop-systems... rfkill spams my kern.log with "input handler enabled/disabled" messages.11:40
Saviqmhr3, does http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/7779635/ sound like anything interesting to you?11:40
SaviqMacSlow, try "restart scope-registry" and "restart smart-scopes-proxy"11:40
mhr3Saviq, saw that somewhere already, restart session11:41
Saviqoops he just did...11:41
mhr3auto-restart by upstart iguess ^11:41
SaviqMacSlow, sounds like you lost your session, according to mhr3 that should've helped with the scopes11:42
MacSlowSaviq, indeed :)11:42
mhr3sometimes i wish there was "OMG FIX NOW" severity in lp11:43
tsdgeosSaviq: any clue what should happen when you press the "Back" button on the non favorite scope i just opened from the overview? Back to overview or dash?11:43
tsdgeosmhr3: that's what critical should be no?11:44
Saviqtsdgeos, back to overview11:44
mhr3tsdgeos, for the cases when critical is not enough :)11:44
tsdgeosSaviq: ok11:44
Saviqmhr3, you mean bug #122270511:44
ubot5bug 1222705 in upstart (Ubuntu) "init assert failure: alloc.c:633: Assertion failed in nih_unref: ref != NULL" [Medium,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/122270511:44
mhr3that one exactly11:44
* Saviq bumps11:45
MacSlowSaviq, mhr3: phew... finally unity8 runs again.11:46
Saviqmhr3, thanks for the facepalm fix for theme inherit11:47
mhr3Saviq, lucky guess tbh :)11:48
mzanettiSaviq: so what's happening in that drop-filtergrid branch is that you only set the height of the normal grid and let the cacheBuffer work, right?11:48
Saviqmzanetti, yes, we're letting the views do delegate handling11:49
mzanettiSaviq: which also means that we have more delegates in memory now thought11:49
Saviqmzanetti, right now result is we're actually creating more (since cacheBuffer is > 0 by default)11:49
mzanettiSaviq: not saying this is necessarily bad11:49
Saviqmzanetti, but we can tweak that11:49
mzanettibut yeah, its changed11:49
Saviqmzanetti, is why I needed to update autopilot11:50
Saviqmzanetti, but I think that's fine11:50
Saviqmzanetti, it should help expansion if the first row of items is created already11:50
mzanettiI don't really see a big problem either... just wanted to have that discussion...11:50
mzanettiso yeah, we might want to experiment a bit with the cacheBuffer here still11:50
davmor2mhr3: there is,  It's called "Is it nearly fixed yet bot" you trigger it with !bug_123456_is_it_nearly_fixed_yet mhr3 and it will ping you every minute till the bug say fix committed :)  you just need to make the bot :D11:51
Saviqmzanetti, truth be told we might set it to 011:51
mzanettithat would match previous behavior, yes11:51
Saviqmzanetti, not exactly11:51
Saviqmzanetti, another row still will get created11:51
mhr3davmor2, uuuuh... i want that bot now :)11:52
mzanettiSaviq: right... even 0 creates 1 row...11:52
mzanettiSaviq: I vote for setting it to 0 then11:52
Saviqmzanetti, k, doing11:52
Saviqoh no cacheBuffer on VJ11:53
=== alan_g is now known as alan_g|lunch
=== _salem is now known as salem_
=== alan_g|lunch is now known as alan_g
elopiotsdgeos: I solved the conflicts on my unity branches, and all the tests I touched are now passing.13:22
elopiocan you take another look please?13:22
tsdgeosi'll try to find time13:23
tsdgeostbh all i did was check if it merged or not13:23
Saviqtsdgeos, focus on the overview, we'll handle this13:26
SaviqMacSlow, see, it passed now ;)13:28
* MacSlow does the happy-wiggle-dance13:28
tsdgeosSaviq: "Long press: Opens scope preview (normal theme)" in the "all" part13:45
tsdgeosdoes it replace everything (including the header and the done) ?13:46
tsdgeosalso the normal theme is going to look weird13:46
tsdgeosi guess yes for the first13:46
Saviqtsdgeos, yeah, it just slides in as usual13:46
tsdgeossad thing it's there's no previewlist to slide in anymore13:47
tsdgeosi have to add another one :D13:47
Saviqtsdgeos, well, shouldn't there be one in the overview simply?13:47
tsdgeosbut before we had one for everything13:48
tsdgeosi could be using here13:48
Saviqtsdgeos, yeah, well13:48
Saviqtsdgeos, truth be told we need a stack13:48
Saviqtsdgeos, and just push / pop as needed13:48
Saviqtsdgeos, but I don't want to implement a stack myself...13:48
Saviqbut then bug #1247865 :|13:48
ubot5bug 1247865 in Ubuntu UI Toolkit "Pages Stack misses animations" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/124786513:48
tsdgeosSaviq: also when it says "normal theme"13:49
tsdgeosit means "non dark"13:49
Saviqtsdgeos, yeah13:53
tsdgeosthat looks really bad13:53
Saviqtsdgeos, I know ;)13:53
Saviqtsdgeos, I really disagree with all the dark → light → dark → light transitions all this causes13:53
Saviqtsdgeos, we should only go "up" to overview and back "down" out of it13:54
Saviqtsdgeos, but since they didn't explore it all visually13:55
Saviqtsdgeos, we need to show them :|13:55
* tsdgeos forsees a hud13:55
* tsdgeos wants to ru13:55
tsdgeosrunning while sitting is quite hard13:56
Saviqtsdgeos, I don't think it's going to be as bad14:02
Saviqtsdgeos, I just think they will have to reconsider this and that14:03
Saviqtsdgeos, like preview in overview → in dark theme14:03
Saviqtsdgeos, opening a scope always going back "down" first14:03
mhr3tsdgeos, iirc previews shouldn't be opened from the overview14:05
Saviqmhr3, yes, for scopes14:05
tsdgeosmhr3: well you iirc wrong :D14:05
Saviqmhr3, https://sites.google.com/a/canonical.com/unity8dash/scopes/dash-overview14:06
tsdgeosor the document is outdated14:06
Saviqmhr3, "Long press: Opens scope preview (normal theme)"14:06
Saviqmhr3, in All14:06
mhr3iri then i guess14:09
mzanettiSaviq: would it be possible/ok to make tryDashContent show some corner cases? For instance having one scope that has just one category (so we can see/test its not expandable and expanded by the beginning etc)14:09
mhr3I Recall Incorrectly ;)14:09
Saviqmzanetti, I pushed the test for that14:09
Saviqmzanetti, GenericScopeView::test_forced_category_expansio14:10
mzanettiSaviq: yeah, I meant more the try thing14:10
mzanettibut ok...14:10
Saviqmzanetti, well, it's there already14:10
Saviqmzanetti, in tryDash14:10
Saviqmzanetti, and well, tryDashContent, too, it's the last scope on the right14:10
mzanettiSaviq: I don't see a scope with just one category there14:10
Saviqmzanetti, build?14:10
mzanettime looks again14:10
mzanettiaha... sorry for the noise14:11
mzanettididn't rebuild after pulling indeed14:11
karnimhr3: can u haz look? http://paste.ubuntu.com/7780376/14:11
karnimhr3: this is on a precise desktop14:11
mhr3karni, first, i guess you mean trusty?14:12
karnimhr3: utopic14:12
karnimhr3: heh, sorry14:12
* Saviq smells hardcoding14:13
karnino, desktop, utopic14:13
mhr3karni, click related14:13
karniusually up to date every 3 days or so, I did dist-upgrade today and this happened14:14
mhr3nothing to do with scopes really14:14
karnimhr3: even though I see libunity-scopes-dev and unity-plugin-scopes ?14:14
Saviqmhr3, are you "unpacking" background values in customization too? like color:/// gradient:/// ?14:19
mhr3Saviq, am i unpacking them anywhere?14:20
Saviqmhr3, well, I'm getting { type: "gradient" } and stuff for the card background14:20
mhr3Saviq, aaah, right... yea, no i'm not14:21
Saviqmhr3, I agree that's not ideal...14:21
Saviqmhr3, so maybe I'll just take care of it here...14:21
* Saviq is spewing branches like crazy today14:24
Saviqmhr3, https://code.launchpad.net/~saviq/unity8/initial-see-all/+merge/22646914:24
mhr3Saviq, is setting height to 0 the preferred way to hide something? i thought setting visible to false is better14:27
Saviqmhr3, doesn't work for things using childrenRect14:28
karnimhr3: coolio, purging of /opt/click.ubuntu.com/.click/users/ solved the problem14:28
Saviqmhr3, and also, gradients are children of this component, would be hidden, too14:28
Saviqmhr3, don't get me wrong, that's not ideal14:28
Saviqmhr3, that's just the least changes14:28
mhr3karni, cool14:29
tsdgeosSaviq: the card creator doesn't know how to do cards like the ones in the overlay i just realized14:29
mikenaglesaviq - you're dead right but the spec says:  Note, this interaction is disabled on:14:29
mikenagleSearch screen14:29
mikenaglePreview screen14:29
mikenagleInstalled, non favourite scopes opened from the overview screen14:29
tsdgeosart + title + overlay with the title centered14:29
mikenaglesaviq, tsdgeos - re the overview spec - you can ignore the comments - they just reflect the conversation that got us to the spec :)14:30
facundobatistaI'm not being able to create properly an emulator instance: http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/7780434/  do you have any idea where I can find logs to see what's going on? (btw, I'm in Utopic)14:31
Saviqmikenagle, still, I think you'll need to reconsider a few things, ideall with transition videos14:31
Saviqmikenagle, I really feel like having both dark (overview) and light (everything else) "elements" on the same level is going to be confusing14:31
tsdgeosmikenagle: ok14:31
Saviqmikenagle, and since you can only preview scopes in the overview, why not show them in the dark theme?14:31
Saviqtsdgeos, it does, only we can't change the overlay colour yet14:32
Saviqtsdgeos, and the "centered text" part I believe is a bug actually ;P14:32
tsdgeosok :D14:32
mikenaglesaviq - the scopes are never dark though - just the space around them is dark. Scopes themselves will be any colour the author/brand needs14:33
mikenaglesaviq (of course a dark branded scope will be dark but you know what I mean :))14:33
tsdgeosmikenagle: but you are going from "All" to "preview of scope XYZ"14:33
Saviqmikenagle, I mean that as you long-press a scope in the All category, you'll open a preview for that scope14:33
tsdgeos"all" is dark14:33
tsdgeos"preview of scope XYZ" should be dark too14:33
Saviqtsdgeos, ↑14:33
Saviqmikenagle, ↑↑14:33
Saviqmikenagle, preview of scope is part of the scopes scope / overview14:34
Saviqnot of the dash14:34
mikenaglesaviq tsdgeos. Gotcha. You might be right. Hard to say without testing. But Esti and I tihnk to keep it light for the time being at least14:36
mikenaglesaviq tsdgeos. As soon as there's a build to look at though, shout and I'll take another look to check I'm not crazy :)14:36
mhr3Saviq, the see all seems too big14:37
mhr3Saviq, or its font size too small14:37
=== alan_g is now known as alan_g|tea
Saviqtsdgeos, something along the lines of http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/7780453/14:38
tsdgeosSaviq: yeah yeah sorry14:39
tsdgeosignore me14:39
Saviqtsdgeos, obviously missing overlay colour14:39
tsdgeosit's just that i think we the centering is not really really centered14:39
tsdgeoslooks a few pixels off14:39
mhr3Saviq, also, some weirdness - http://imgur.com/J4DT6Fn14:40
tsdgeoswhich actually makes sense14:40
tsdgeosas http://paste.ubuntu.com/7780461/14:40
tsdgeoshas left margin and not right one14:40
mhr3Saviq, that was after expand + collapse14:40
Saviqtsdgeos, yup, that's what I thought14:43
tsdgeosSaviq: yeah adding the margin looks better now14:44
Saviqmhr3, hmm and not like that with in-header expansion?14:44
Saviqmhr3, as for sizing, I took what Joshua sent me as "redlines"14:45
=== alan_g|tea is now known as alan_g
mhr3Saviq, sorry? what do you mean with in-header expansion?14:46
mhr3as for sizing... ok if design said so...14:47
Saviqmhr3, that you couldn't get that weirdness before "see all"14:48
Saviqmhr3, and well, can you repro? I can't14:48
mhr3Saviq, nope haven't seen that before, but you're right i can't repro it now either14:48
mterrykgunn, Saviq: for emergency dialer, two branches need review from our side: https://code.launchpad.net/~mterry/unity8/is-active/+merge/223653 and https://code.launchpad.net/~mterry/unity8/dialer-above/+merge/224947  -- the first is ready to go, I'm fixing a merge conflict in the second right now14:49
mterryAnd the second needs a security pass14:49
mterrymdeslaur, ^ do you or sarnold have time to look at that dialer-above branch sometime?14:50
mhr3Saviq, btw noticed how horrible does wikipedia logo look on desktop?14:51
Saviqmhr3, yeah, on cards?14:51
mhr3Saviq, logo14:52
Saviqmhr3, so just the W, or WikipediA in the header?14:52
Saviqmhr3, in any case14:52
Saviqmhr3, prolly no sourceSize14:52
kgunnmterry: thanks for the follow up14:52
Saviqmhr3, initctl set-env -g GRID_UNIT_PX=1114:52
Saviqdoesn't really help ;)14:53
mterrykgunn, my understanding is that there is a second pass from dialer side for other UI things (like adding a cancel button and going fullscreen and such)14:53
mhr3Saviq, i need to wait a minute for unity to run again :P14:53
kgunnmterry: good to know...but nothing stopping us ?14:54
mterrykgunn, which reminds me...  they'll need https://code.launchpad.net/~mterry/unity8/show-greeter-dbus/+merge/224942 for the cancel support14:54
mdeslaurmterry: sometime, yes :)14:54
Saviqmhr3, sudo rm /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/Ubuntu/Telephony/qmldir14:54
mterrykgunn, no, their second pass doesn't stop us from doing our side14:54
mhr3Saviq, \o/ and yea still looks horrible14:55
Saviqmhr3, huh! sourceSize is set (albeit * 4 for some reason)14:55
Saviqmhr3, the icon must be something weird14:55
mhr3strangely, it's fine on the phone14:55
Saviqmhr3, told you we can't render SVGs :P14:55
Saviqmhr3, they all look rather bad14:56
mhr3wait whaat... is doesn't look good on the phone14:57
mhr3but i remember it looking fine14:57
mhr3Saviq, also, they're all pngs :P14:59
Saviqmhr3, oh now that's interesting15:00
Saviqmhr3, are they named @30 or something?15:00
Saviqmhr3, or are they remote?15:00
mhr3Saviq, yep, remote15:00
Saviqmhr3, that looks fine here, I thought you were asking about the ones in scopes scope15:01
Saviqwell, ok, maybe not really fine, blurred a bit they are15:01
mhr3they are frickin huge!15:02
mhr3especially wiki15:02
mhr3it's not supposed to be that big15:02
Saviqmhr3, well, pad them!15:03
Saviqmhr3, how am I supposed to know how big you want them15:04
Saviqor how aligned15:04
mhr3i thought they are, but apparently not15:05
mhr3anyway, not sure why i'm bothering you with that... esti / facundobatista issue15:05
facundobatistamhr3, sorry?15:06
mhr3facundobatista, http://imgur.com/xMUwWvn <-- eeek15:06
facundobatistamhr3, you say it should be smaller?15:08
mhr3facundobatista, shouldn't it?15:08
facundobatistamhr3, IMO, the server should provide a bigger enough one, and the client should scale to what's needed... otherwise how do we manage for bigger phones, or tablets, or whatever?15:09
facundobatistamhr3, I mean, if I rescale it in the server, then may be too small for other clients15:10
facundobatistamhr3, actually... thinking better about it, the server should provide .svg only, and client present it in the optimal size15:12
mhr3facundobatista, svg/png doesn't matter really, as you said the resource will be presented on devices with various res, the icons should have padding to look good15:13
mhr3ie the image should be done in a way to fit the full header height15:14
mhr3facundobatista, right now they seem to be cropped to content15:15
mhr3facundobatista, wait, did something happen with the images?15:17
facundobatistamhr3, what?15:17
mhr3facundobatista, the ones joshua sent did indeed have padding15:17
facundobatistalet me see15:17
mterryDo the unity8 qmluitests pass for other people?  I'm seeing an error on test_purchase_text_display15:17
* facundobatista searches joshua's mail15:17
facundobatistamhr3, I have a mail from joshua from June 26th, with header logos for several scopes15:22
facundobatistamhr3, is that what you mean?15:22
mhr3facundobatista, june 16th15:22
mhr3is the one i'm looking at15:23
facundobatistamhr3, ah, he then sent another one, updated images15:23
mhr3facundobatista, then i guess the second one breaks things?15:24
facundobatistamhr3, probably! I just forwarded it to you15:24
facundobatistawell, it's being sent (the attached zip is 2MB)15:24
facundobatistamhr3, probably a couple of instructions or conditions should be given to Joshua when he buiilds the images15:25
mhr3not the first time i see designers sending two email and each is done fundamentally differently15:25
mhr3facundobatista, yea, they're wrong15:29
mhr3facundobatista, can you reply to joshua that the logos need to have the padding to fit the entire height of the header?15:30
mhr3show him http://imgur.com/xMUwWvn to understand the issue15:30
mhr3although.. that isn't entire height15:32
mhr3there is a little bit of padding15:32
facundobatistamhr3, sent15:33
mhr3yea, 1gu margin on top and bottom15:35
* greyback eow15:54
kgunnarrgg mterry where u be?16:40
=== alan_g is now known as alan_g|EOW
=== luv_ is now known as luv
=== ken_ is now known as kenvandine
kgunnmterry: hey quick little brainstorm about mir & debian deps  in control files18:31
mterrykgunn, hi18:31
kgunnso, thinking today our rverse deps all say >=mir version18:32
kgunnbut, as we're about to branch for rtm....that's not gonna work well18:32
kgunne.g. chance exists we may need to break abi on server even after branching18:32
mterrykgunn, you're thinking you want a dep on mir << version+1?18:33
kgunnbut...could end up with 2 diff versions progressing, 1 on stable-rtm and 1 on trunk18:33
kgunnwell...that;s just it...i'm thinking =18:33
kgunni mean, we never skip building reverse depends anyway18:33
kgunnso in reality we're saying = even tho control says >=....which >= isn't true (e.g. abi is broken)18:34
kgunnso i just want to verify my thinking we should change the control files in u-s-c, papi, unity-mir18:35
mterrykgunn, well it's sort of true, but yeah we should have << next-abi-version18:35
mterrykgunn, as for addressing two different version tracks...18:35
kgunnyeah, i thot about that, but that's not true either right ?18:35
mterrykgunn, how about defining a version prefix that is used for the branch.  Like 4.5.  Then have trunk move past that, doing 5.x and what not.  But ABI breaks on branch can go like 4.5.1, 4.5.2 or whatever?18:35
mterrykgunn, why wouldn't it be?18:35
* kgunn erases next chat, and goes to read debian again18:36
mterrykgunn, you could always ABI-version the -dev packages too...  So that you have libmirserver18-dev18:37
kgunnmterry: right...so we'll end up with interleaving (potentially) mir versions18:37
mterrykgunn, well we'd ideally avoid interleaving.  You could set the branch to 4.5 and have it live in that namespace forever.  While trunk immediately bumps to 4.6 or something and never looks back18:38
kgunne.g. imagine stable goes 0.5, 0.7, 0.9...and trunk goes 0.6, 0.8, 0.1018:38
mterrykgunn, yeah well don't do that on stable.  Have stable live in 0.X and trunk live in 1.x (like we did for unity8)18:38
kgunnbut if x in 0.x.0 is referencing abi breaks...then what happens if we have a bug fix on stable that breaks abi18:39
mterrykgunn, right, you just have to "shift down" your expectation of what an abi break is one digit place18:40
kgunn(its not hypothetical....we just found something that would bump it, had we found it 2 weeks in the future after Beta freeze)18:40
mterrykgunn, so now if "0.x" is your branch indicator, then "0.x.y" is your abi and "0.x.y.z" is your minor bug fix bumps18:40
mterrykgunn, and maybe use libmirserver18.x etc18:41
mterrywhere 18 is the major version we use for stable18:41
kgunnmterry: how does that fit or change debian control in rdeps if stable had libmirserver18, 20, 22....and trunk might end up with libmirserver19, 21, 2318:44
kgunnhmm...actually....if its truly ABI...am i worrying about nothing ?18:45
kgunnthe rdeps could really still compile18:45
mterrykgunn, well I think this whole thing is very similar to unity7 vs unity8.  We give the stable version a major version like...  22.  And then it lives there and we'd have libmirserver22.1 and libmirserver22.2 for ABI bumps18:45
kgunnonly if its server API....then its an issue18:45
mterrykgunn, any time we need to fork a stable branch, we just freeze the major version it was on (22 or 38) and have trunk move on18:46
kgunnmterry: is that really by convention ? or a technical rule that breaks some enforcement ?18:53
kgunnunderstand its ideal18:53
mterrykgunn, most of these version rules are by convention18:53
mterrykgunn, but I was just trying to suggest a scheme that would avoid having stable be above trunk but still be able to move inside its own version namespace18:54
kgunnmterry: i'll pursue the idea of decoupling18:54
mterrykgunn, other schemes would be fine too if you had a different idea in mind.  But I think (a) your point that we are missing an upper bound on deps is valid -- we should use << next-abi-version and (b) as long as we can have stable and trunk moving in their own abi namespaces, we're good18:56
kgunnmterry: hmmm, i just can't get around the fact we're trying to tie rdeps to server api bumps basically...18:57
kgunni'll keep thinking18:57
mterrykgunn, isn't that a good thing?18:57
kgunnmterry: it is, and they're just numbers....18:58
mterrykgunn, what are you getting at?18:59
kgunnso in theory it could do that....stable 0.4.0 turns into,,, then trunk goes,
kgunnor could trunk stay 0.5.0, 0.6.019:00
kgunn....until the next stable19:00
kgunnso in 0.x.y.z the y means...abi bumps on stable19:01
mterrykgunn, sure, trunk could keep going crazy until we need to fork again19:01
kgunnmterry: with the hopes that someday we get the server api under control19:01
mterrykgunn, I'm a big fan of bumping major versions whenever we need.  I think deja-dup is on version 32 or something19:02
mterrykgunn, well even if server abi doesn't change, doesn't mean that the project version couldn't.  but sure, it would be nice to have that move slower19:02
kgunnmterry: at the end of the day...there's going to be 2 diff control files as well in each of the rdep projects...trunk for trunk & stable for stable19:03
kgunnhence my reasoning in the beginning its really an = situation19:04
mterrykgunn, yup, I don't think there's a way around that which we would find acceptable19:04
mterrykgunn, no, but we don't want =19:04
mterrykgunn, because we do actually release the occasional bug fix19:04
mterrykgunn, we just want >= abi and << abi+119:04
mterrykgunn, or really19:05
kgunnright so with the proposal above we can keep it >=, with trunk staying 0.x.x and stable being 0.x.x.x19:05
mterrykgunn, regardless of how we split trunk and stable, I still think it's sensible to do <<abi+1 for both19:05
kgunnmterry: sorry to be thick skulled...but that's not really true...i mean we do really break api on server sometimes too19:06
kgunnso that wouldn't be completely true19:06
mterrykgunn, I mean, it's mostly taken care of magically for the binary package dependencies, because the abi is encoded in the package name (so libmirserver18 >= 4 implies that it doesn't match libmirserver19).  But it matters for the -dev packages which don't encode abi in package name19:06
kgunnso are you saying to ignore the logic and rely on the magic ? ;P19:07
mterrykgunn, I don't follow your pointn about breaking api on server?  You mean api vs abi?19:07
mterrykgunn, we could mostly.  -dev dependencies don't care about ABI, just API breaks19:08
mterrykgunn, but this all is a separate point from how to split the versioning for stable/trunk19:08
mterrykgunn, I was just proposing a separate nice fix to use <<abi+1 but I think we don't really need that for any of the packages I can think of19:08
kgunnok...i'm gonna copy.paste this irc chat and share with cemil/duflu19:09
mterryWe could do it for the -dev packages, but we don't have a versioning scheme for breaking API19:09
mterrykgunn, I think my takeaway is just to suggest freezing stable's major version and bumping down the ABI position by 1 place so as not to conflict with trunk19:10
kgunnmterry: one last question...so for libmirserver<somenumber>....assuming stable is mir0.5.y.z, and trunk is mir0.6.y19:23
kgunncan the number of libmirserver<number> be the same and sage ?19:23
mterrykgunn, well.  the versions like 0.5/0.6 *could* safely be the same too.  Because they'd be in different repositories.  But that way lies massive confusion.  So I'd say the same for the libmirserverXX numbers19:24
kgunnagreed...i don't like it either19:25
Saviqmzanetti, if you're around, is there a reason why we don't have a ubuntu-touch package in silo 6?22:03
=== salem_ is now known as _salem

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!