pittiGood morning05:05
hikikogood morning!05:39
hikikohi pitti :)05:39
pittihey hikiko!05:41
hikikohow are you :)05:41
pittiquite well, thanks! how about yourself?05:42
darkxsthey pitti hikiko05:42
hikikogood :)05:43
hikikohi darkxst05:43
pittihey darkxst, how is it going?05:43
darkxstpitti, annoyed, every window has massive borders with new gtk+ update05:46
darkxstseems larsu caused it05:46
darkxstatleast he reverted a commit, that caused it05:50
didrocksgood morning05:55
pittibonjour didrocks !05:56
didrocksbonjour pitti, ça va ?05:58
pittididrocks: ça va bien, merci ! et toi ?05:59
hikikogood morning didrocks :)05:59
darkxsthey didrocks06:00
didrockshey hikiko, darkxst!06:01
didrockspitti: ça va aussi, mais il fait froid !06:01
pittien effet !06:02
pitti"Winter is coming."06:02
didrockshéhé :-)06:02
darkxstsummer is here ;(06:02
pittiI don't think that's a thing in GoT06:03
darkxstright, it would change the story line just a little ;)06:03
darkxstthe wall would melt for one!06:04
pittiwell, not that much. Instead of freezing to death they'd just boil in their armors06:04
pittiand they could have built the wall out of coconuts06:05
darkxstpitti, they wouldnt need a wall, it would end up an ocean and all the baddies would drown!06:10
pittiright after all the goodies :)06:10
darkxstdepends if they can get their boats in, in time06:11
darkxstLaney, I tested your g-o-a webkit1 revert with g-c-c seems to work fine06:24
darkxstLaney, though I do wonder, can't we drop the ancient webkit2gtk build from webkitgtk source and add webkit2gtk to main? thats gotta be better than the current situation, and the transition from webkit2gtk-3.0 to -4.0 should be easy06:32
=== robru is now known as robru_
seb128good morning desktopers!07:24
pittibonjour seb128 !07:24
didrocksre seb12807:24
seb128hey pitti, didrocks07:24
seb128wie gehts?07:24
pittiprima, danke! und Dir?07:24
seb128gut, danke ;-)07:51
seb128(sorry didn't see the reply before)07:51
darkxstseb128, Laney, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/webkitgtk/+bug/1469221/comments/1007:52
ubot5Ubuntu bug 1469221 in software-center (Ubuntu) "Move to webkit2gtk in main" [Undecided,In progress]07:52
seb128darkxst, that would mean have webkitgtk webkit2gtk in main?07:53
darkxstseb128, but right now you have webkitgtk and also ancient webkit2gtk in main07:53
seb128ancient webkit2gtk?07:54
darkxstthey are more or less independant builds in the old source package07:54
seb128well it's a case to argue with the security team07:54
seb128I've little say in that07:54
darkxstyou will end up with 2 copies of webkit2gtk source in main07:54
darkxstbut only one that builds07:54
seb128is anything currently using the -3.0 version?07:55
darkxstseb128, yes, but pretty much everything GNOME upstream supports -4.007:55
darkxstand 3.0 -4.0 is nothing like the hell of going webkit1 to 207:56
seb128the question was rather "if we disable the 3.0 build without promoting webkit2gtk can we get no copy in main"?07:56
darkxstseb128, no, I think yelp and devhelp are in main?07:57
seb128well seems like a case to argue with the security team07:57
seb128maybe comment on the open MIR about that?07:57
* Trevinho has to leave for some blood tests07:58
seb128hey Trevinho07:58
seb128Trevinho, oh, nothing serious I hope! good luck07:58
darkxstseb128, like my other old bug, I couldnt find it!07:59
darkxstbut I will find it and comment there as well08:00
didrocksgood morning Trevinho!08:00
didrockshey larsu08:13
larsuhi didrocks :)08:14
ubot5Ubuntu bug 1466290 in gnome-online-accounts (Ubuntu) "Update to 3.16" [Medium,New]08:15
darkxstcommented there also ;)08:16
seb128larsu, salut! wie gehts?08:16
darkxstlarsu, can you guard your gtk+ background revert with XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP==Unity, you broke just about every other DE with that08:16
larsuhey seb128! Great thanks! And you?08:16
seb128larsu, I'm good thanks!08:16
seb128darkxst, do you know why that same code in 3.16 was not creating those issues?08:17
seb128we might just need another revert08:17
darkxstseb128, my guess, is larsu didn't just do a clean revert08:18
darkxstthere was a check againt client-decorated also before08:18
seb128we should maybe just add that back?08:19
larsuno, this wasn't a revert08:19
larsuputting that check back in will make the original bug come back for csd-windows08:19
larsuso we might as well remove the whole patch (which I suggest we do for now)08:20
darkxstlarsu, well you have given us a much worse bug08:20
larsudarkxst: for xfce users?08:20
darkxstand I don't see how messing with background can fix frame sync issues, other than making them less ugly08:21
larsuthat was the point08:21
darkxstlarsu, gnome-shell, unity08:21
seb128unity is much better08:21
seb128the bg color change is really annoying and tiring for the eyes08:21
larsudarkxst: unity?08:22
larsuwith adwaita, you mean?08:22
darkxstlarsu, with adwaita there is a 5px margin08:22
darkxstwith ubuntu themes there are still square corners on csd windows08:22
seb128right, but white ones08:23
seb128which is less noticable/ugly08:23
larsudarkxst: those square corners were there before, it's a window manager issue08:23
larsudarkxst: and don't use adwaita on unity, it's broken08:23
seb128the patch is quite an improvement under Unity08:23
larsunot saying we shouldn't revert that patch08:23
darkxstlarsu, adwaita on gnome-shell has 50px margines08:23
larsuI know. You said something about unity just now08:24
seb128let's not nitpick08:24
seb128that patch has issues and they are on the list of things to look at08:24
larsuright. Don't know what the fuss is about08:25
seb128are xfce, etc implementing the framesync protocol?08:26
seb128just wondering if that's another case of GTK doing things that work only under GNOME...08:26
seb128though that probably doesn't matter much for the resolution08:26
larsuthey are most certainly not08:27
seb128k, so "fix compiz" is not really a solution to this problem08:28
seb128it would just make it work for us but let it buggy for others :-/08:28
larsuit was my impression that this was only setting the background of the X window and gets overdrawn quickly by gtk anyway08:29
larsunot sure why this isn't happening08:29
darkxstlarsu, I'm not sure it gets overdrawn, client side decorations are below the X windows08:31
larsudarkxst: hm? They're painted on X windows just like everything else...08:32
darkxstso the main content will get overdrawn, but what about the transparent areas, that make it easier to catch the edges of windows etc?08:32
darkxstalthough the backgrounds are bigger than even those08:33
darkxstbut anyway can we just revert the patch for now08:35
larsuyes, we should08:36
seb128I'm unsure if we should08:40
seb128maybe having it under XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP hack?08:40
larsuplease no :)08:44
darkxstseb128,  that was my first suggestion, but really you havent fixed anything with that patch08:44
seb128darkxst, oh yeah we have08:44
darkxstyes, you made it less ugly?08:44
seb128I can use my computer again without having headaches08:44
seb128the constant color change is really tiring on the eyes08:45
seb128so yes, less ugly and less physically tiring08:45
seb128which is a big win08:45
darkxstsure but at a cost08:46
seb128right, but it doesn't mean the correct thing to do is to add the initial problem back08:47
darkxstwe never even had the flickering problem08:47
seb128it started with 3.1808:47
seb128which was not in the archive for long before we landed that patch08:48
darkxstseb128, we have been running it for months08:48
darkxston the ppa's08:48
seb128yeah, unsure how many !GNOME users use those08:48
seb128GNOME doesn't have the issue because it implements the full frame sync protocol thing08:49
seb128but any wm that doesn't have it08:49
seb128and that's most wms out of GNOME08:49
darkxstseb128, yes, not many08:49
darkxstand yes NVIDIA fixed that actually08:49
seb128I'm using intel hwd08:50
seb128can't say08:50
darkxstseb128, it wasnt a bug in their drivers08:51
seb128nvidia fixed what?08:52
seb128sorry I'm lost there08:52
willcookedidrocks, taaaa daaaa!08:52
willcookemorning all08:52
seb128hey willcooke!08:52
didrockswillcooke: better server? :p08:52
darkxstframesync issues in mutter, clutter etc08:52
seb128well, shame they didn't fix it for all the other desktops :p08:53
darkxstwell the original patch came from compiz?08:53
darkxstbut the followup patches, don't know08:53
seb128yeah, unsure, and there is little point arguing we should stop there08:56
seb128bottom line is that the current patch is buggy and we should fix it08:56
seb128and stock GTK has issues on !GNOME which is what we tried to address08:56
larsumorning willcooke. Welcome to freenode08:59
* didrocks feels that the "no python2" in deja-dup is some kind of cheating/twisting the reality08:59
larsudidrocks: but it runs with 3?09:00
didrockslarsu: no09:00
didrockslarsu: it just try to not install duplicity09:01
seb128didrocks, yeah, it is09:01
didrockswhich makes deja-dup useless09:01
didrocksseb128: how so?09:01
seb128didrocks, it's cheating09:01
seb128it means users are still going to get python209:01
didrocksso, it doesn't run in python309:01
seb128oh, sorry09:01
didrocksseb128: well… what I'm exactly saying :p09:01
seb128yeah, I was reply to your "* didrocks feels that the "no python2" in deja-dup is some kind of cheating/twisting the reality"09:01
didrocksah ok ;)09:02
didrockswas puzzled for a sec09:02
seb128sorry, I see how the sequence was confusing ;-)09:02
didrocksheh, no worry!09:02
larsudidrocks: lol09:02
didrocksI'll try to describe my feeling on the MP09:02
didrocksbut yeah, not installing duplicity09:02
didrocksso, installing on demand09:02
didrocksand having a useless deja-dup installed by default (as it can't do anything)09:02
didrocksit sounds to me just to tick a box for ticking it09:03
didrocksI would prefer in that case to not install it on the image09:03
didrocksor having a real fix, or having deja-dup working with something else than duplicity (so that as a default, it makes sense)09:03
seb128what is deja-dup able of doing without duplicity?09:04
didrocksseb128: AFAIK, nothing, but I may be wrong09:04
seb128hey Laney09:04
didrocks(so yeah, if I'm wrong on that, I withdraw my whole complaint ^)09:04
didrockshey Laney09:04
seb128didrocks, if it's nothing I think there is a case to argue that it should simply be dropped from the iso09:04
didrocksseb128: yep09:04
seb128if users need to install something they can as well install a working deja-dup from software-center09:05
didrockswell, let's see what mterry will tell on the MP, I'm writing something around those lines09:05
larsug'day Laney09:05
didrocksseb128: better for them to install deja-dup directly09:05
Laneyhey france09:05
Laneyhey germany09:05
* larsu misses berlin09:05
seb128larsu, where are you atm?09:05
larsuseb128: at home09:06
larsuLaney: you ok?09:06
didrocksseb128: he claimed independence from Berlin :p09:06
seb128didrocks, you can argue that having it pre-installed with the on-demand somewhat advertize there is a recommended backup solution09:06
larsudidrocks is the only one that got it09:06
Laneylarsu: sniffling but okay09:06
didrocksseb128: agreed, but still feeling it's just about "ticking a box, no more python2, wooooowww", which is a lie in practice (as most of people will get it if we do that in multiple softwares)09:07
seb128didrocks, right09:07
seb128willcooke, do you have xenial somewhere? if so you would maybe like to have a look to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-themes/+bug/1515557 ?09:07
ubot5Ubuntu bug 1515557 in ubuntu-themes (Ubuntu) "Sidebars have too little padding" [Medium,Triaged]09:07
seb128there is a suggestion there09:07
seb128.sidebar-icon {09:07
seb128    padding-left: 10px;09:07
seb128    padding-right: 10px;09:07
=== dpm is now known as dpm-afk
seb128that looks like it's the correct thing to do09:08
willcookedidrocks - can I still edit the pad for Google? ^^09:08
willcookeseb128, happy to take a look, won't take long, but didrocks has prepared a list of quick and easy things for the Google code thing, this would be a good one to add to that09:09
willcookeI think09:09
seb128well, the suggestion is already in the bug so somebody already contributed09:10
didrockswillcooke: I've moved that to a google doc09:10
* larsu will be back in 1509:10
seb128but as you want09:10
didrockswillcooke: and I gave it to community team09:10
willcookeoki I can fix then09:10
seb128let's try to not steal credit for the current contributor though09:10
didrocks(as I put the deadline to it)09:10
didrockswillcooke: I guess we have enough tasks TBH09:10
Laneywhat are you talking about?09:11
seb128Laney, nautilus pading in the sidebar09:11
Laneywhat's that got to do with google code?09:11
seb128Laney, otherwise didrocks & willcooke about the google code-in project09:11
didrocksLaney: google code in09:11
seb128they built a list of easy things to work on09:11
Laneyoh right09:12
Laney"port shotwell to webkit2"? :)09:12
seb128yeah, welcome to opensource!09:12
LaneyI actually think that's the only thing that is left to get wk1 off the iso09:12
* didrocks put Laney as a mentor for that one09:12
Laneylooked last night09:12
Laneyassuming I worked on ubiquity... think I did...09:12
seb128software-center as well, but I guess we assume that one is going away?09:12
Laneyhttps://code.launchpad.net/~laney/software-center/webkit2/+merge/264723 too09:13
Laneydarkxst: if you're happy enough I'll upload this revert, you can argue with security if you want09:13
darkxstLaney, g-o-a? I am happy enough with that, hopefully it doesnt backfire though09:16
Laneythis situation is annoying09:16
LaneyI would have both webkits in main and be done with it :|09:17
didrockshttps://jenkins.qa.ubuntu.com/job/udtc-trusty-tests/2349/testReport/ -> ship it! (all passing, even if public jenkins still has issue mirroring!)09:17
darkxstit was fine in my testing, and I couldn't find api breakage that would cause hell to fall in09:17
darkxstadmittedly only tested g-c-c, but not sure if anything else would stress webkit stuff more than that09:18
* seb128 opens datetime calendar and notice didrocks is patch piloting today then decide to let him that evolution patch backport for SRU ;-)09:19
* Laney loves the patch pilot police09:19
didrocksseb128: you add the patch pilot calendar to track people pilot shift? :p09:19
didrocksLaney: yeah, it's nice isn't it? :p09:19
seb128didrocks, I didn't add anything, I added my canonical account09:19
seb128and datetime pick all the calendar09:19
seb128I wish I could turn that one off in fact :-/09:19
didrockswell, you added it to your canonical account :p09:19
seb128it's sometime handy09:20
* Laney has it in url bar09:20
Laneymaybe in main calendar would be useful too ;-)09:20
Laneygreat idea!09:20
didrocksanyway, I already planned to shift it to a nice Friday pilot, want to finish some demoing (after this ubuntu make release announcement)09:20
didrocksbut yeah, will do the SRU as other items in the list :p09:20
didrocks(would be cool if we could move the shift ourselves in the calendar)09:21
seb128ok, no worry09:21
seb128I can try to nag kenvandine instead, he's doing his shift today as well ;-)09:22
Laneydidrocks: you can09:22
LaneyI do it all the time09:22
Laneymost months in fact09:22
didrocksLaney: oh really?09:22
seb128happyaron, hey, can you look at https://code.launchpad.net/~brunonova/ubuntu/trusty/ibus/lp1240198_2/+merge/278226 ?09:22
* didrocks tries09:22
Laneyprobably have to be logged in09:23
seb128btw is anybody else having all day events showing on the wrong day?09:23
seb128in indicator-datetime09:23
seb128like if I open today it lists "doko tomorrow 00:00"09:23
didrocksLaney: I have mine shifted09:23
seb128rather tha ken/didrocks today09:23
didrockslet's try to add the patch pilot calendar09:23
Laneyseb128: indeed09:24
didrocksseb128: ah, so it's not indicator-datetime showing up us as piloting today :p09:24
Laneybut only for gcals it seems09:24
seb128didrocks, well I opened it to see who was pilot to nag them about that evolution patch :p09:24
LaneyI have some birthday calendar from Facebook maybe09:24
Laneyand those are correct09:24
seb128sorry it felt on you today ;-)09:24
didrocksah, moving worked, nice!09:25
seb128Laney, facebook has a calendar/eds integration?09:25
didrocksseeing there is mostly unactive patch piloter before Friday, I guess it's a good spot09:25
seb128didrocks, I often do that when reviewing the recent bugs activity, ping the $pilot_of_the_day09:25
didrocks(as dholbach did a lot of work yesterday)09:25
LaneyI probably added the ical09:26
seb128there are a few desktop items in there he didn't touch though09:26
darkxsti'm going to break the calendar and do my next pilot shift on the weekend ;)09:28
Laneywe'll just leave all the hard stuff09:28
Laneydidrocks: ah yes, it comes up as an invitation in my main calendar09:30
Laneyand from there I can edit it09:30
=== JMulholland_ is now known as JMulholland
didrocksLaney: btw, did you try latest master from dep11 repo? Not sure if you noticed that my patch was merged09:34
Laneydidrocks: not yet, you want to pull & build/install?09:36
LaneyI made it run out of the virtualenv09:36
Laneycould probably automate updating it09:36
didrocksLaney: ok, let me connect09:37
didrocksLaney: 5a3a5622c87d0825cd64d50072ed3754700d99ce isn't in master?09:39
* didrocks was wondering why git pull wanted to merge09:40
Laneyno, do pull --rebase (sorry, forgot)09:41
LaneyI didn't propose that yet because not sure it actually fixes anything09:42
didrocksLaney: doing that!, got it on the reasoning :)09:42
* Laney tries to remember what the config is to pull --rebase by default09:42
didrockswe'll see if this fixes it for humanity, indeed09:42
willcookeurgh.  seb128 - I've messed up that commit, it's got some half fixes from other theme work.09:43
didrocksLaney: oh right, we should do that, one sec09:43
seb128willcooke, uncommit and try again?09:43
Laneywillcooke: bzr shelve if you need to get some changes out of the way09:44
Laneythen bzr unshelve to get them back later09:44
didrocksyou need bzr-rewrite package (plugin) for that IIRC09:44
Laneywhat is that?09:45
Laneydon't think so09:45
didrocksah, it's probably only for bzr rebase then09:45
didrockscan be wrong09:45
Laneyit's not doing any rewriting09:46
didrocksyeah, I still thought it was in the same plugin package though and not by default09:46
didrocksLaney: ok, built and installed09:47
didrocksletting you or the cronjob (if any) doing the run?09:47
Laneywatch at 100009:47
didrocksoki ;)09:48
=== qengho is now known as CardinalFang
=== CardinalFang is now known as qengho
=== nudtrobert1 is now known as nudtrobert
Trevinhoseb128: nothing serious... Just routine checkup09:54
Trevinhoit took longer than expected.. :/09:54
Laneyhey Trevinho09:59
Trevinhohi Laney10:00
larsumorning Trevinho!10:00
Trevinholarsu: hi10:00
Laneywhat's up?10:01
Laneydo you feel much lighter now that you have less blood?10:01
seb128Trevinho, k, glad you are doing well!10:05
Laneydidrocks: doh ;-)10:08
didrocksLaney: yep, probably failed at something :p10:10
didrocksLaney: looking, don't worry about it10:10
Laneyshould probably make the rsync for logs happen even if something fails10:10
Laneynot so useful to only get those if it works :P10:10
didrocksLaney: heh, indeed :p10:10
didrocksah, you redirect stdout/stderr, that's why I wasn't seeing everything10:11
* didrocks looks at logs10:11
Laneytail the log file10:11
didrocksyep, I'm in it10:11
didrocksand waiting for it to stop10:11
didrocksoh :p10:12
didrocksmissing import10:12
LaneyI just made it log straight to the public directory10:13
* Laney rm -r dep11/logs10:13
didrocksLaney: makes sense, removing my -x10:14
didrocksLaney: this run should be better10:15
TrevinhoLaney: ah, sorry I missed your msg :P... Well I did some checkup... Nothing special (I hope :P). They didn't took too much blood to feel lighter... Maybe it would have been better :)10:17
Laneydidrocks: nice10:18
Laneydoing a PR?10:18
didrocksLaney: you mean liek https://github.com/ximion/appstream-dep11/pull/3? :)10:18
didrockswould be nice to add to dep11 a minimal set of tests btw10:20
Laneysure would!10:20
didrocksLaney: hum
didrocksLaney: you just move the LOGDIR, right?10:20
didrocksand didn't remove a rm I guess? :p10:20
Laneyoh noes10:21
Laneywhat happened!!!!!10:21
Laneybet the rsync deleted it10:21
Laneyat least the evidence of the import sys is gone :)10:22
didrocksheh, phew :p10:22
willcookelarsu, is there an equivalent gtk2 version of the gtk3 widget factory?10:29
larsuwillcooke: yes, gtk-widget-factory10:31
larsuI don't know if we install that, though10:31
larsuah, no package :/10:32
Laneydidrocks: logs should be safe now :p10:32
willcookeI'll use Firefox instead ;)10:32
didrocksLaney: phew! no more hiding :-)10:33
didrocksLaney: more seriously, don't you have too many issues reboostrapping the nodes when canonistack goes down?10:34
Laneyhaven't lost the instance yet10:34
didrocks(loosing the logs are not great, ok, but the rest)10:34
Laneyit just gets shut down10:34
didrocksah, and you have a shared volume?10:34
didrocks(persistent disk that you can remount)10:34
Laneyfor the mirror yeah10:34
didrocksso ok, not that bad for now10:34
Laneygoing to write a charm at some point anyway10:34
didrocksyou will have to :p10:35
Laneyit would be mildly annoying10:35
didrocksto need multiple machines just to create one?10:35
Laneynginx config + checkout + virtualenv10:35
didrocksor something else?10:35
Laneyto rebuild if it goes away10:35
Laneyoh I would have to remember what all the deps are too :P10:40
* Laney git push git+ssh://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/+git/appstream-cloud10:41
Laneycharm will end up there10:41
didrocksLaney: if you need any help in charming it up, I have some scares still (and so knowledge) of previous attempt… :p10:42
* Laney knows nothing10:42
didrocksbut well, you need to describe the used config on the machine first ;)10:43
Laneywas planning to copy pitti's charm10:43
Laneyhis is more complex though, don't need any relations here10:43
pittimy charm is unique! I don't borrow it to other people10:43
pittiLaney: which charm do you want to copy? want some help?10:44
didrocksLaney: maybe the ci-train one is easier?10:44
Laneypitti: not doing it right now, but thanks!10:44
Laneydidrocks: maaaaybe10:44
didrocksit doesn't have relationships either, pretty single :)10:44
LaneyI guess you can somehow make it depend on a cinder volume10:45
Laneyso that it can re-use the mirror if it exists10:46
larsuseb128: so the best compromise I can come up with is to set the background to transparent11:02
larsuwhich looks odd in unity, but not as bad as the black one11:02
larsuand works in shell11:02
seb128larsu, +1 from me11:02
larsuI tried other things as well, but those require theme changes11:02
larsuand I think we want to stay minimal here11:02
seb128that would be better indeed11:02
larsuTrevinho: while working on this, I noticed that setting a background of #00000000 had no effect, while doing something like #01000000 works11:03
larsuwillcooke: nice work on the theming stuff11:07
seb128I'm going to do a landing today I think11:07
seb128with the theme tweaks from willcooke11:07
willcookeThe changes I made to notebook tab colours need to be ignored.  I will delete them11:08
willcookethey dont work properly yet11:08
willcookedidrocks has helped me to better organise my branches now so each fix will have its own branch11:08
* larsu hugs didrocks 11:09
darkxstwillcooke, everyone should just move to git branches ;)11:10
willcookedidrocks, can I delete this one now?  https://code.launchpad.net/~willcooke/ubuntu-themes/ubuntu-themes11:11
willcookeI dont want any of those changes to exist anywhere and confuse me11:11
didrockswillcooke: sure, you can :)11:12
* didrocks hugs larsu back11:12
=== JMulholland_ is now known as JMulholland
willcookelarsu, are you looking at the treeview selector heights already?11:21
larsuseb128, darkxst: please give this a spin if you have some time https://code.launchpad.net/~larsu/gtk/black-flicker-part2/+merge/27843211:22
larsuwillcooke: no11:22
larsushall I?11:22
seb128larsu, sure11:22
willcookelarsu, lemme see if I can find how to fix it and I'll let you know11:22
darkxstlarsu, I'm off to bed now, but setting background transparent does sound harmless,11:25
larsudarkxst: setting the background to the background sounds harmless as well :P11:27
larsu(which is what the other patch did)11:27
darkxstlarsu, yes, will test tomorrow11:28
seb128willcooke, what bug is that one?11:29
willcookeseb128, well, it's getting stranger now... when you open gedit, and click open you get the tree view up instead of a file browser at the start11:30
willcookeif you type "t" in that search box you get lots of results11:30
willcookebut each entry is about 5px high and you cant read them11:30
seb128willcooke, good that I asked, I just fixed that one, https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75858511:30
ubot5Gnome bug 758585 in file loading and saving "Open menu dropdown is 'compressed' & unintelligible with other themes" [Normal,New]11:30
seb128I've a package update building as we speak11:31
willcookeThat's how I fixed it as well11:31
seb128sorry ;-)11:31
willcookebut I found that when I took the padding out from the css, it stayed fixed for the whole session11:31
seb128I wonder if we should import some of the other rules in our theme11:31
willcookeseb128, no worries :)  it only took me about 5 mins to work out what was going on11:31
willcookeyeah, I think that makes sense11:32
seb128they don't want to move the rules using e.g @theme_bg_color to the common css because it's not sure the theme define those colors11:32
willcookeseb128, whats your view on the "save changes before closing" dialog buttons?  They look all smushed together, but perhaps they are supposed to be?11:33
ubot5Ubuntu bug 1513856 in ubuntu-themes (Ubuntu Xenial) "[3.18] 'save changes' dialog button style is wrong" [Low,Confirmed]11:33
seb128laney beat me to that one11:33
seb128but yeah, I think it looks buggy11:33
seb128unsure what we should do though11:33
seb128just theming tweaks?11:33
seb128or move back to non joined buttons?11:34
willcookeI tried themeing with padding and margins, but it doesn't work11:34
willcookethat reminds me11:34
Laneyyes but they look normal in Adwaita, so maybe we could take some inspiration from them11:35
willcookeseb128 - how are you fixed for a trip to London on 10th Dec?  Just head back from John and he is free then11:35
willcookewe could ask John Lea questions like this (^) in person11:35
seb128willcooke, wfm11:36
seb128Laney, "normal", they look different from other dialogs like the fileselector but yeah it's less buggy11:38
seb128it's just a question of whether we want things to be similar or not11:38
Laney"Linking buttons together can make it move obvious that their function is related"11:39
* larsu goes to lunch11:40
=== dpm-afk is now known as dpm
seb128lunch, bbiab11:42
seb128larsu, enjoy!11:42
seb128Laney, where is that quoted from?11:42
Laneygnome wiki11:42
didrocksenjoy seb128, larsu11:42
seb128Laney, I think they use that style in gtk fileselector etc but we patched it out11:43
seb128we should revisit what we do11:43
Laneywe did for message dialogs11:43
Laneynot sure where else11:43
=== asac` is now known as asac
pittiLaney: argh, lcy01 died again!?12:03
Laneypitti: seems so :(12:06
Laneyenabled builders 2 hours ago12:06
Laneybut they are disabled12:06
pittiah, so they are working on it12:07
pittiI am doing a manual run, and indeed it's stuck at BUILD/spawning12:07
Laneywell https://launchpad.net/builders/lcy01-06/+history doesn't show that it was enabled 2h ago12:08
Laneyso *shrug*12:08
pittiLaney: in better news, I now figured out queue inspection in principle12:10
pitticurrently turning it into nice HTML12:10
LaneyI saw that you added the management plugin12:10
Laneythis works?12:10
pittiLaney: only for the queue length, what's already exposed on http://autopkgtest.ubuntu.com/running.shtml12:10
pittiLaney: not the contents -- if you actually use the web UI and inspect the queue, it requeues stuff in a different order12:11
pittiso I need to use the normal amqp operations12:11
Laneyoh right, I thought that this didn't require that plugin12:11
pittiso in the end I can probably even drop the management plugin again12:11
pittiI found that when reading all requests without acking, and then basic_reject()ing them, the queue order isn't changed12:12
pittiso the mgmt plugin does the inspection in a funny12:12
pitti... way12:12
Laney"if you declare a queue with NO auto acknowledgements and do not ACK the messages that you receive, then you can see everything in it"12:12
pittiright (where do you read that?) -- the trick is to explicitly reject them12:13
pittiah, there12:13
pittiah, haven't tried cancel, but I don't want to actually do that for the status queue I'm listening to12:13
pittianyway, in my local container debci/rabbit setup I now see stuff12:14
* pitti leaves HTML beautification for after lunch12:14
happyaronseb128: sure12:19
=== hikiko is now known as hikiko|ln
=== hikiko is now known as hikiko|ln
=== pstolowski is now known as pstolowski|lunch
=== alan_g is now known as alan_g|lunch
Trevinhoseb128: I don't remember one thing... What was the rationale for "inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop" ? I mean why do we need a different desktop file for opening dirs?13:52
=== alan_g|lunch is now known as alan_g
=== hikiko|ln is now known as hikiko
=== pstolowski|lunch is now known as pstolowski
TrevinhoAh, I guess that's for "--new-window" thing...14:00
seb128Trevinho, I don't remember the specifics, without that sometime other filemanager would open when clicking on a folder14:00
seb128but it might have been in the gnome-panel times14:00
seb128like if you had a directory on your panel14:00
Trevinhoseb128: the thing is that if you now do nautilus -q; and then open it from new device/trash we get that matched to nautilus-folder-handler...14:01
seb128Trevinho, is that association creating any issue?14:01
TrevinhoBecause of gio telling that to us14:01
Trevinhoseb128: however... that desktop file has the "NoDisplay=true" so... maybe I  can filter that out...14:01
seb128is there another desktop that would be more suitable?14:01
seb128the idea was to assign nautilus14:02
seb128rather than getting the xfce file manager14:02
seb128but I don't think we picked that particular desktop for a good reason, we could probably change to whatever is right14:02
seb128or try to drop the association and see what happens14:02
Trevinhoseb128: I was thinking to standard desktop file, but... that's something that might not work as per the "--new-window" option14:02
Trevinhoseb128: basically the bad matching happens because org.gtk.gio.DesktopAppInfo tells us that that desktop has been launched, for that pid... So bamf overrides the matching by using it14:06
Trevinhoseb128: however, I think that maybe bamf should ignore the nodisplay desktop files for such thing14:06
Trevinhowe can then use then, if really we don't find anything else that matches14:07
seb128your call, you know better that matching logic than me14:08
seb128some people pointed we currently have issues with e.g gedit as well14:08
seb128since we have compat desktops now14:08
seb128like upstream renamed gedit.desktop to org.gnome.gedit.desktop14:08
Trevinhoyeah... that makes matching harder, but iirc larsu added a way to get the gtk app id atom and using that, isn't it?14:09
=== charles_ is now known as charles
Laneytrouble in the clouds15:15
Laneylaunchpadlibrarian.net is broooooooookenn15:15
didrocksstorms? :)15:16
Laneyacid rain15:16
* Laney remembers about LTE15:16
=== JMulholland_ is now known as JMulholland
mterrydidrocks, I replied to your comments on the deja-dup branch. thanks for looking at it!  I would be interested to see if trunk's tests also fail for you (they did for kenvandine)15:28
kenvandinemterry, didrocks: ah ha!  those are the same tests that failed for me!15:29
willcooke #startmeeting Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-2415:30
willcooke#startmeeting Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-2415:30
meetingologyMeeting started Tue Nov 24 15:30:42 2015 UTC.  The chair is willcooke. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.15:30
meetingologyAvailable commands: action commands idea info link nick15:30
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic:
didrocksmterry: let me have a look after the meeting (I only tried the tests in a sbuild), what kenvandine did I guess15:30
mterrySo kenvandine isn't actually crazy  ;)15:30
willcookeRoll call: andyrock, attente, desrt,  dgadomski, didrocks, fjkong, happyaron (out), hikiko (out), laney, larsu, qengho, seb128, sweet5hark, themuso (out), tkamppeter, trevinho, robert_ancell (out)15:30
kenvandinewell... maybe i am15:31
didrocksmterry: that doesn't imply he isn't :p15:31
* mterry shuts up15:31
kenvandinebut the tests really fail :)15:31
desrt /o\15:31
desrt(body scanner pose)15:31
hikikowillcooke, I was about to leave sorry! I emailed you a minute ago I hope you see it!!15:32
willcookehikiko, got it - nw15:32
hikikobye people!!15:32
willcookehikiko,  I can copy & paste15:32
willcookecya hikiko15:32
willcookelets get started..15:33
willcooke#topic andyrock15:33
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: andyrock
andyrockhey all15:33
andyrockI'm working on the redrawing/damaging issue with unity+nux+compiz15:33
andyrocki discovered that it's not just about the cursor15:33
andyrockbut that're other cases where we basically redraw randomly15:34
andyrocklike if you open once the shortcut overlay we redraw the shortcut overlay even if it's hidden15:34
andyrockthat's a shame15:34
andyrockI've already a fix for that (I'll propose it later today)15:35
andyrockright now I'm working on the cursor redraw issue and more in general trying to understand what's going on when the dash and the hud are open15:35
andyrockwe redraw for no reason and that's can cause slowness15:36
andyrockand also reviews15:36
willcookethanks andyrock15:36
willcookeandyrock, how are you set for a quick review tomorrow at 10am UTC?15:36
andyrockI've class but should not be a problem15:37
seb128andyrock, nice to see work on those redraw issue!15:37
willcookeandyrock thanks15:37
willcooke#topic attente15:37
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: attente
andyrockseb128 I can't promise to fix them all but I'll try :D15:37
attentehi guys15:38
attentedebugged/fixed some broken maliit-framework tests15:38
attentesuppress some unused parameter warnings in gdbus-codegen output, filed upstream15:38
attentepackaged maliit-framework and maliit-inputcontext-gtk (<- needs sponsoring), fixed up packaging branch which was out-of-date15:38
attentewant to move QT_IM_MODULE out of livecd-rootfs and into somewhere else, but not really sure where it should go to have it set under u815:38
attenteupdated java non-latin shortcuts ppa for bug #1226962, might try to merge it despite it not being perfect15:38
ubot5bug 1226962 in unity-settings-daemon (Ubuntu) "Hotkeys not functional in non-latin keyboard layout" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/122696215:38
attentestarting working on gtk single-surface15:38
willcookethanks attente15:38
willcookegood comments on that bug, looks great15:39
willcooke#topic desrt15:40
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: desrt
desrtcontinue work on inotify stuff, looks pretty good now15:40
desrthelping xclaesse with the dconf confinement stuff15:40
desrtand starting on a glib release for today15:40
willcookegood stuff, thanks desrt15:40
seb128it means we are going to stop receiving reports about that nautilus/trash segfault15:40
desrthi xclaesse :)15:41
* seb128 just commented on yet another report15:41
desrtthere's a nautilus/trash segfault again? :(15:41
desrtcan you link me?15:41
seb128the one I sent a patch for15:41
desrtprobably we want to fix this in stable and not have to wait for unstable15:41
seb128you didn't do a release since15:41
desrtabout the release15:41
desrtgotcha :)15:41
willcooke#topic dgadomski15:42
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: dgadomski
dgadomskihey, unfortunately I haven't done much in the desktop area this week15:42
dgadomski* fix for bug #1510824 accepted upstream, released to Xenial, debdiffs for SRUs are prepared and attached15:42
ubot5bug 1510824 in policykit-1 (Ubuntu Wily) "PolkitAgentSession incorrectly handles multiline output (as observed with pam_vas)" [Medium,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/151082415:42
dgadomskiand that would be all, thanks15:42
seb128dgadomski, I saw your polkit patch got merged, good work ;-)15:42
willcookethanks dgadomski!15:42
dgadomskithanks seb128 :)15:42
willcooke#topic didrocks15:43
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: didrocks
didrocksUbuntu Make:15:43
didrocks- Reviewed and merged CLion work by a new contributor \o/15:43
didrocks- Added medium and large tests to it15:43
didrocks- Cut the large tests time by half while adding even more tests \o/ (jenkins + tests enhancements)15:43
didrocks- Move build dependencies only needed for tests to another ppa (ppa:ubuntu-desktop/ubuntu-make-builddeps) and add it in jenkins tests. This way, people using Ubuntu Make on older release are not impacted by the need of newer version of tests frameworks like pexpect and won't install them. Hook that ppa in Travis CI, our jenkins infra and refresh contributor intro to ask adding that ppa for testing.15:43
didrocks- Add ZSH completion15:43
didrocks- Fight some jenkins specific + proxy issues while learning more about some os.environ black magic (thanks pitti, even some python god I knew weren't aware about that :p)15:43
didrocks- Fix Visual Studio Code which changed its icon path (detected through our testsuite)15:43
didrocks- Misc fixes and enhancements for i18n, test standardization and jenkins branch build support (mostly described in https://github.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-make/commit/1469477890a10eba2b17d74d461c22567c24838c and incoming blog post)15:43
didrocks- Help Laney on and appstream-dep11 fixing some issues when running in virtualenv15:43
didrocks- MIR ptyprocess to unblock pexpect 4.0 (which was build-dep wait)15:43
didrocks- Small britney wording consistency work )<-- this extra parenthesis is dedicated to Laney <315:43
didrocks- Worked and gather topics and bug reports for Google Code-in students.15:43
willcookeanother new contributor :D15:43
willcookethanks for you work on the Code In project too15:44
didrocksyep \o/15:44
willcooke#topic FJKong15:44
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: FJKong
FJKongnot much to update:15:44
FJKong2 days sick leave;15:44
FJKongsogou IM bug fixing:15:44
FJKong* hot key problem report by users, fixed15:44
FJKong* inputing window abnormal when typing : working in progress15:44
willcookethanks FJKong15:45
willcooke#topic happyaron15:45
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: happyaron
willcooke1. Finished my zfs-linux packages, uploaded to Debian.15:45
willcooke2. Explore about basics of snappy Ubuntu15:45
willcooke#topic hikiko15:45
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: hikiko
willcookeI am working on the shadows (and basically I messed up a few things And I am now trying to fix the mess... :D) EOF15:45
willcooke#topic laney15:45
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: laney
Laney• Short week + slightly sick week15:45
Laney• liburcu transition, some random source fixes for this (forwarded + corresponded with maintainers)15:45
Laney• finish up britney branch after feedback, got that merged15:45
Laney• some of my Debian merges (lintian, bzr, dbus, vorbis-tools)15:45
Laney• some other updates (gnome-online-accounts + patch to revert wk2 -> wk1, gvfs)15:45
Laney• appstream: work with didrocks on getting this to work from a git checkout in virtualenv, running from there now - next: work on charm15:45
Laney• just found a packet of biscuits (crunch creams)15:45
Laney• dmb meeting and some chivvying to look at things there15:46
Laney• fix an oops where we accidentally removed overlay-scrollbar schemas from the default install15:46
larsubiscuits \o/15:46
willcookethanks Laney15:46
* willcooke is reminded there is an email to ev in drafts that he needs to finish 15:46
willcooke#topic larsu15:46
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: larsu
larsurandom bugs again this week15:46
larsu- a recent i-sound fix on the phone broke notify osd on the desktoip15:47
larsu- logging in has a race with xsettings (didn't fix this but spent some time on it)15:47
larsu- last patch to remove the black flickering broke shadows on gnome shell15:48
larsu- nautilus menubar (coming seb128, sorry)15:48
larsu(this is annoying as I can't simply backport stuff)15:48
larsuerr... I think there's more15:48
larsuah right, the gnome-logs guy asked me to help out with automatically updating the ui when new log messages come in15:48
seb128what's the xsetting thing about?15:49
larsuand some internal gdbus issues15:49
larsuseb128: don't get correct font size when logging in, sometimes15:49
larsureally annoying15:49
seb128hum, k15:49
seb128I never noticed15:49
larsuI've had it a couple of times now, but not every time15:49
larsucouldn't find anything that could be causing this though :(15:49
seb128and speaking about gnome-logs ... we said we wanted to install it by default right?15:50
larsuI have that on my todo for a but later but helped out since I was pinged anyway15:50
larsuI think it's </larsu>15:50
seb128we should stop bothering you with bugs and have a look to gnome-logs and geonames15:51
seb128before eoy, so we get new components in15:51
willcookethanks larsu15:51
seb128then we can go back to bugs15:51
larsuseb128: makes sense. lts and all15:51
willcookeyeah, good plan15:51
Laneywell I tried assigning them instead of pinging ;-)15:51
seb128willcooke, sorry for interrupting with questions and comment15:51
willcooke:) no worries, good time to comment I think15:51
seb128Laney, yeah, that's probably smarter ;-)15:52
willcooke#topic qengho15:52
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: qengho
qengho* found bug that makes new chromium complain. proposed xdg-utils update that fixes it. gave chromium to #security to upload.15:52
qengho* working on chromium/ozone/mir this week.15:52
qengho* require more information about Laney's crunch creams. furiously envious.15:52
qengho* updating snappy packager scripts.15:52
willcookethanks qengho15:52
willcookedid you get to the bottom of why hyperlinks from other apps are broken?  Is that the xdg-utils thing?15:53
qenghowillcooke: right. xdg-mime bug.15:53
willcooke#topic seb12815:53
seb128kenvandine is patch piloting today so maybe he can review xdg-utils merge/update15:53
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: seb128
seb128otherwise didrocks has a shift on friday15:54
seb128hey ;-)15:54
seb128• debugged u-s-d segfault due to a gsettings schemas key dropped from g-s-d15:54
seb128• uploaded gnome-control-center move of user icons data to u-c-c, allowing demoting the source to universe15:54
seb128• fixed small gedit document title regression15:54
seb128• looked at some langpack translations regression on the ota8 touch candidate15:54
seb128• discussed indicator-sound/notify-osd regression, helped to test and land the fix from Lars (thanks!)15:54
seb128• reported some bugs+code changes to make some phone dialogs more consistent15:54
seb128• libmobiledevice transition15:54
seb128• looked at the vino update, decided there was too much to revert (they dropped the standalone dialogs) and that it was easier to keep ours and backport some bugfixes, did that15:54
seb128• spending a bit of time every day to review/triage incoming bugs/errors and help with ongoing britney issues and transitions15:54
seb128• looked at/fixed some gedit theming issues (just got a patch commited upstream)15:54
seb128• continued a bit on the nautilus 3.18 update, not an easy update and still quite some work needed15:54
seb128• spend some time looking at if backporting the upstream g-s-d wacom work to u-s-d was possible, it's a bit work and unsure it's worth the effort15:54
seb128• started backporting new g-s-d upstream "tz plugin" to u-s-d (to update your tz/notify you that you are in a different tz when travelling), I think I got the changes right but I'm unsure how to test and if we want it (note that it also means installing the new geoclue service)15:54
seb128(sorry, busy week ;-)15:54
willcookethanks serb15:55
willcooke#topic Sweet5hark115:55
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: Sweet5hark1
seb128did I disconnect?15:57
attentei'm wondering too15:57
willcookedont think so, just waiting15:57
seb128no Sweet5hark1 it seems...15:57
willcooke#topic tkamppeter15:57
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: tkamppeter
tkamppeter- ippusbxd: Further testing to try to solve the problem with the HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 2540, ending up with some improvements but without the solution of the problem.15:58
tkamppeter- HPLIP: Packaged and uploaded
tkamppeter- Ghostscript: Checked status of MIRs for syncing with Debian: openjpeg still missing (but now chances are higher that it gets into Main as Poppler needs it, too).15:58
tkamppeter- Set up a Xenial virtual machine (Used "devel" as distro name in sources.list to automatically always use current devel branch).15:58
seb128somebody should offer Sweet5hark1 an alarm reminder device15:58
tkamppeter- Bugs.15:58
willcookethanks tkamppeter15:58
willcooketkamppeter, saw your mail re: print dialogues - will follow up with Prod Man to get it scheduled15:59
willcooke#topic Trevinho15:59
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: Trevinho
Trevinho· Improved bamf upstart support15:59
Trevinho· made spread for application windows dynamic (it updates on new windows, or title changes when using filtering)15:59
Trevinho· Meeting with Kylin guys (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ubuntu Kylin/Meeting/2015/20151119)15:59
Trevinho· Added quicklist to expo launcher icon to switch workspaces.15:59
Trevinho· Making BAMF not to give priority to launched NoDisplay .desktop files (fixes nautilus being confused)15:59
Trevinho· Working in better launcher-filemanager integration, by allowing management of Trash/Devices independently.15:59
willcookethanks Trevinho15:59
tkamppeterwillcooke, OK, thanks.15:59
willcooke#topic robert_ancell16:00
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: robert_ancell
willcookeNo update this week, but I spoke to him earlier this week16:00
willcookeHe's working on GNOME software16:00
willcookewe have a list of people to speak to, but so far so good16:01
willcookenon-root REST api over UNIX socket should be landing in Snappy soon16:01
willcooke#topic any other business16:01
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks | Desktop Team Weekly Meeting - 2015-11-24 | Current topic: any other business
Laneyshould look at the calendar thing16:02
attenteseb128: what are those wacom changes in upstream g-s-d? are they fixing a crash?16:02
seb128Laney, yeah, did you try it?16:02
seb128i've that on my list but didn't do it yet :-/16:02
Laneyno but could do16:02
seb128could be useful to have feedback from several people on the interactions16:03
seb128I'm going to look at the e-d-s integration bit16:03
seb128we need that for our $solution16:03
seb128willcooke, did you try/look at both?16:03
Laneyyou mean the thunderbird one?16:03
willcookeseb128, I haven't looked at either16:04
* willcooke adds it to his list16:04
* didrocks just tried it16:04
didrocksremember that I added some easy task for google-code-in16:04
didrocksdon't jump on them before we are sure nobody will work on it :)16:05
seb128Laney, yes16:05
didrocks(like changing default color, and so on)16:05
Laneywhere is this list?16:05
seb128didrocks, "it" was the GNOME or the tb one? or both?16:05
didrocksif the calendar thing is that one :)16:05
didrocksLaney: uno momento16:06
didrocksLaney: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rww6mkoQhhuijQx4yBHzMngM3HABeFx4tS7mLs2kMIA/edit#heading=h.e2psrcqwe9c216:06
* willcooke is summoned elsewhere16:08
Laneyare these tasks agreed?16:08
willcookeI'm end the meeting, we can carry on calendar discussions in a mo.16:08
willcookeand Google Code In16:08
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-desktop to: Home of the Desktop Team, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam | For help or questions, try #ubuntu | Amaterasu watches over you benevolently | Tag "gtk318" for gtk 3.18 bugs please and thanks
meetingologyMeeting ended Tue Nov 24 16:08:43 2015 UTC.16:08
meetingologyMinutes:        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-desktop/2015/ubuntu-desktop.2015-11-24-15.30.moin.txt16:08
seb128attente, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-settings-daemon/+bug/1277733 is the wacom thing16:08
ubot5Ubuntu bug 1277733 in unity-settings-daemon (Ubuntu) "Backport newer Wacom tablet support" [Wishlist,Triaged]16:08
seb128attente, see bug description16:09
Laneylike maybe we like headerbars now and do we want to add a patch to change the default colour that will be carried forever?16:09
attenteseb128: thanks16:09
seb128attente, yw16:09
Laneyperhaps that can be in the theme16:09
Laneyor somewhere else16:09
seb128attente, do you have a wacom device? or were just asking?16:09
attenteseb128: actually i found last week that plugging in a wacom tablet ends up restarting u-s-d repeatedly16:09
didrocksLaney: I made the list reviewed by seb128 and willcooke to have another opinion16:09
seb128attente, oh :-/16:10
attenteso i thought maybe there were fixes upstream16:10
didrocksLaney: I still think we should have an ubuntu feeling to gnome calendar16:10
didrocksnot have an application looking out of place (and so, use the ubuntu default theme color)16:10
seb128attente, do you still have access to the tablet? I might ask you to test my backport branch once it's done16:10
seb128didrocks, +116:10
attenteseb128: yep, i have it16:10
seb128attente, great, thanks16:10
LaneyI'm saying that it is in sync16:10
Laneyand it would be good to keep it so16:10
attentei whip it out on the odd occasion i have to play pictionary online :)16:10
Laneyyou will get a patch to change the default colour in the source16:11
seb128Laney, colors can probably be tweaked from the css nowadays no?16:11
didrocksI guess otherwise it's a bug in upstream's code16:11
didrocksthat we should fix :)16:11
Laney  /* FIXME: We should handle calendars colours better */16:12
Laney  if (!gdk_rgba_parse (out_color, e_source_selectable_get_color (extension)))16:12
Laney    gdk_rgba_parse (out_color, "#becedd"); /* calendar default colour */16:12
LaneyI bet you get a patch to change that16:12
Laneyunless the task is specified16:12
seb128well, we are the ones talking to the students so we can iterate if needed16:13
seb128but yeah better to specify in front where we can16:13
Laneydon't feel like I'm getting much traction16:13
Laneylets move on16:13
seb128I think we all prefer non-downstream-patching solutions if we can get that yes16:14
seb128if that's what you were getting at16:14
LaneyIt's not very likely that the code in student is going to end up maintaining gnome calendar for us16:17
Laneyso the burden of maintaining the work in the long term falls on us if the patch is in Ubuntu only16:17
seb128yeah, I doubt the intend was to have a code patch in Ubuntu16:18
seb128the goal is to have the theme tweaked to have the app look better16:18
seb128if it's not as easy as theme tweaks it might be off scope for the code-in16:18
seb128those are for young students and supposed to be easy16:18
seb128we just didn't know that those parts were not css themable16:19
seb128though some of the other UI bits might still be?16:19
Laneyok, I guess each one should be in a bug report in the end16:21
Laneywhich describes the required solution16:21
didrockssounds like Laney wants to open bug report16:23
didrocks(which won't be use in the google code-in format description, as it will be filed on google's website)16:24
Laneyit doesn't really sound like that16:25
Laneybut it's not going to be good if people write code that gets rejected16:25
Laneyyou can't give links?16:25
didrocksLaney: you can I guess, unsure, I was just asked to gather a list. All other tasks that the community team gather don't have bug reports associated16:26
didrocksmaybe check with them? They are the ones handling this, I don't have access to the backend16:27
Laneylooks like you get free text16:30
Laneyand people submit their stuff on the website directly16:30
mterrydidrocks, kenvandine: yay!  Using an sbuild, I can reproduce the failures.  Oddly, I don't get them locally, in a pbuilder, or in a PPA.  But sbuild hits it.  So at least I see the same thing you do16:35
* mterry will work on a fix16:35
didrocksmterry: weird that sbuild != PPA for once and closer to pbuilder :p16:35
kenvandinei had the failures without sbuild too16:35
didrocksmterry: but yeah for reproducing!16:35
mterrykenvandine, yeah I can't explain that  :)16:36
kenvandinesbuild for wily and vivid and locally on vivid16:36
kenvandineon both of my boxes16:36
mterrykenvandine, but at least now I see the same symptom16:36
kenvandineanyway, glad you reproduced it16:36
* Sweet5hark1 just woke up again -- should have accepted sick leave for today.16:38
willcookeSweet5hark1, no worries, get better16:44
Sweet5hark1willcooke: Ill do my best.16:45
xclaessedesrt, got a minute for your advice on the 3 FIXME in my settings backend?17:07
* didrocks waves good evening and good night17:07
Laneynight didrocks17:07
ricotzpitti, hmm, xdiagnose pulls python3.4 again17:07
didrockssee you tomorrow Laney!17:07
seb128night didrocks17:07
didrocksand seb128 :p17:07
xclaessedidrocks, fait de beaux rêves ;-)17:07
didrocksxclaesse: héhé, merci, toi aussi !17:07
xclaesse12h ici ;-)17:08
pittiricotz: the rebuild? I just dropped a no-op option from debian/rules17:10
ricotzpitti, yes, 3.8.217:12
ricotzbefore it properly depended python3.517:12
kenvandineqengho, hey i was sponsoring your xdg-utils patch17:19
pittiricotz: hm, odd; do you know if that changed in python-defaults or so? I can't see what in http://launchpadlibrarian.net/227445991/xdiagnose_3.8.1build1_3.8.2.diff.gz woudl have caused that17:19
kenvandinebut the debdiff didn't apply cleanly, since there had been another xenial upload17:19
kenvandinei cleaned that up so the debdiff applied17:19
kenvandinebut one of the patches doesn't apply17:19
kenvandineqengho, ^^17:20
ricotzpitti, yeah, it is clearly caused by the toolchain itself then, I would assume doko might have an idea17:20
* Laney gets juju working17:21
* Laney server dude now17:21
seb128Laney, you are a charming guy! ;-)17:22
seb128willcooke, ok, so I did https://git.gnome.org/browse/gedit/commit/?id=9da514288905d5b8013ddd0f2e1bdd29aded61a5 which is what upstream agreed to move in the common section17:25
seb128willcooke, do you want maybe to have a look at https://git.gnome.org/browse/gedit/plain/gedit/resources/css/gedit.adwaita.css and see what we should move to our gedit.css in our themes?17:26
willcookeseb128, looking...17:26
seb128willcooke, we already have some of the bits17:26
willcookeI'll copy it over and try it out...17:26
seb128willcooke, the sidepane close buttons (if you have documents open/the document section selected) look a bit nicer I think17:27
seb128like they are less big square blocks17:27
seb128also we should take the17:27
seb128GeditStatusbar {17:27
seb128    border-top: 1px solid @borders;17:27
seb128it makes a line displayed between the textview and the statusbar17:27
seb128willcooke, thanks17:27
seb128willcooke, I'm going to do a theme landing with the pending fix tomorrow or the day after that17:28
willcookeseb128, ack17:28
seb128*fixes even17:28
qenghokenvandine: some patch with "|sed" earlier doesn't handle .desktop files with many Exec lines well. My path there is an attempt to make sure that the bug doesn't show up again. It's not important for anything other than keeping future versions from being buggy.17:28
qenghokenvandine: thank you for looking.17:29
kenvandineqengho, that patch was sponsored by mterry since your debdiff was created17:29
desrtxclaesse: sorry.  was eating lunch.  happy to help now.17:30
kenvandineqengho, anyway, i'm done piloting i need to get back to other things now17:30
kenvandinesorry i couldn't get it uplaoded17:30
xclaessedesrt, np, was going for lunch now ;-)17:30
xclaessedesrt, btw, what TZ are you?17:31
desrtk.  hit me up when you get back17:31
desrt12:30 here17:31
qenghokenvandine: the only patch that's important is the one that makes mime defaults update .config location, not only .local/share/applications/ .17:31
xclaesseah, same here, Montréal :)17:31
qenghokenvandine: ah. Dang.17:31
desrt← toronto17:31
qenghokenvandine: okay.17:31
willcookeseb128, are you getting any double-click / single-click oddness, especially in gedit in the normal file open window?17:31
willcookeseb128, like, *sometimes* a single click opens a folder, and sometimes its a double click17:32
seb128willcooke, yes, it's quite annoying, I was just being grumpy here about that17:32
willcooke:) glad it's not just me17:32
seb128I do open -> other documents and want to select files and I'm used to double click to open and single click around17:32
willcookeI'm trying to work out the best way to recreate17:32
seb128and single click validates things now17:32
willcookeI think we need to keep that behaviour as it used to be17:33
seb128it seems they screwed up the delay17:33
seb128like if you single click a folder17:33
seb128then single click again it takes it as a double click17:33
seb128or it opens selected folders on single click17:33
seb128either way confusing17:33
Laneyit's always the selected file17:33
LaneyI think17:34
seb128always the selected file that what?17:34
Laneythat opens with a single click...17:34
seb128right, I wonder if that's wanted17:34
seb128it's confusing17:34
seb128the change is wanted17:35
seb128the side effect is a bug which got fixed with https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/?id=c619c862503ccf54c9afbdb0708a3376ce1728fb17:36
seb128which is actually the bit that annoys me17:36
seb128when you double click the folder it opens on first click then open a file in it with the second17:36
* seb128 asks if they can backport that fix to 3.1817:37
Laneyit is17:37
seb128it should be in .517:37
seb128doesn't work though :-/17:38
* seb128 comments on the bug17:39
seb128I'm also not convinced by the behaviour, would be curious to know mpt's/design opinion on that17:40
seb128it makes the UI feels unreliable, it behaves differently in different situations and it's not obvious why17:40
seb128but I guess the goal was for touch and the patch was supposed to make it no do that for mouse events?17:41
willcookewith a mouse it just feels plain broken.  I dont think we can expect users to learn a new way of doing things at this point.17:41
willcookewe should start a list of things to talk to John about on 10 Dec, seb128 can we wait that long?17:42
mpt“make our own double-click determination”? That sounds like fun17:42
seb128willcooke, we sure can17:42
Laneytalk to mclasen?17:44
seb128I commented on the bug17:45
=== Pharmasolin1 is now known as Pharmasolin
seb128waiting to see what pbor says17:45
seb128his commit feels like "shouldn't do that for mouses"17:45
seb128since he wrote to ignore button 2/3 events17:45
Laneythat's not the same as willcooke was talking about with "plain broken" and not learning a new thing17:46
Laneythat is a judgement on the entire feature17:47
seb128well my understanding is that the feature is meant for touch17:47
seb128e.g finger use17:47
seb128willcooke's point is probably for mouse users17:47
Laneyyou didn't say that in your comment17:48
seb128need to go for a bit but I can comment a bit more/ask pbor directly later on IRC17:48
Laneyit's a mclasen feature, he was just fixing a bit of it17:48
seb128right, well if pbor's fix does what I understand it should do then I don't think we have an issue17:49
seb128otherwise we need to ask mclasen17:49
Laneynot if you hate the entire single click feature17:50
seb128I hate it for mouses17:50
seb128not for touch17:50
Laneythen you need to speak to him17:50
seb128ok, need to go17:50
seb128oh, right17:50
seb128I understand what you mean17:50
Laneynot trying to be difficult, I just don't think that fix is meant to turn it off for mice17:50
seb128right, it's going to make the file not open17:50
seb128but selected instead?17:50
seb128but yeah, good point17:51
Laneyit's probably meant to fix accidental double clicks or something17:51
seb128I'm going to report a new bug/talk to mclasen I guess17:51
Laneybut still single clicking on a selected item is meant to open it17:51
seb128sorry for being slow to get what you meant17:51
seb128going to file a bug later17:51
seb128need to go for now ;-)17:51
willcookecheers Laney17:52
* Laney gives up on juju + lxd17:57
* Laney tries the canonistack instead17:57
seb128Laney, not loading from here ... is that a public ip?18:26
seb128willcooke, btw about that single/double click, we might want to talk to design before reporting upstream, would be better to have a bug with some contructive input/design recommendation18:27
seb128rather than just "it sucks, was better beforfe"18:27
willcookegood plan18:28
mterrykenvandine, didrocks: fixed deja-dup tests in sbuild (kenvandine, the issue I found was around HOMEs that didn't exist -- I still don't know why it was failing for you)18:37
willcookekeeps crashing and loosing my in-line style in the selector19:07
* willcooke has got wise to it now 19:07
willcookeI've been saving a text file with every change I make19:08
willcookebut yeah, gedit is super crashy for me19:08
jpdswillcooke: apt-get install vim19:09
attenteugh... i disabled maliit, and now i can't adb into the device because the screen is locked and i need maliit to unlock it19:32
willcookewakka wakka wakka19:32
willcookeI can't think of a hacky work around, but popey might know.  he's good at that sort of thing19:33
attenteis it possible to use a hardware keyboard? i don't actually have one lying around though19:34
willcookedunno, I think otg is enabled now19:34
willcookeogra_ might know as well ^19:35
attentei wonder if sshd is running on this thing19:35
willcookeonly if you enabled it I think19:35
Sweet5hark1good news: at least build-arch finishes with 5.1.0~alpha/xenial19:46
willcookeother good news, my css selectors are working at last :)19:48
seb128willcooke, report the crash if you can get a backtrace19:49
willcookeseb128, will do, once I've got these gedit theming sorted19:49
willcookeI'm on a roll :)19:49
seb128let me know tomorrow morning if you need help to get the bt19:49
willcookethx seb12819:49
seb128on that calling it a day19:50
seb128have a good evening everyone19:50
willcookecya seb12819:50
=== dpm is now known as dpm-afk
willcookehi robert_ancell20:46
willcookebye robert_ancell20:46
robert_ancellwillcooke, heh20:47
willcookeI'm admitting defeat with these themes for the day and going to watch tv before it's 11pm again20:47
willcookeah crap20:47
willcookeI still haven;t sent that follow up to ev - will do tomorrow20:47

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!