=== maclin1 is now known as maclin
rbasakAnyone here?15:00
rbasakoSoMoN: hello!15:02
rbasakSeems it's just me so far :-/15:03
rbasakbdmurray sent his apologies15:03
rbasakLet's see if anyone else shows up.15:03
cyphermoxI'm here.15:03
oSoMoNhi cyphermox15:04
oSoMoNhey jbicha, sil210015:05
sil2100So we seem to have quorum15:07
sil2100Can anyone chair?15:07
cyphermoxI'm in another meeting atm...15:08
jbichaI can give it a try, it would be my first time chairing15:09
jbichaok, let's not delay…15:10
meetingologyMeeting started Mon Nov 20 15:10:48 2017 UTC.  The chair is jbicha. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.15:10
meetingologyAvailable commands: action commands idea info link nick15:10
jbicha[TOPIC] Review of previous action items15:11
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Review of previous action items
jbicha> bdmurray to handle the PPU role for fossfreedom (done)15:11
jbichaok, that's done, I believe cyphermox was going to follow up by working on a proposed ubuntu-budgie seed15:13
cyphermoxI sent the packageset list, but blocked on having the packageset created in the first place. I mentioned it to slang.asek last week.15:13
micahghaving a packageset being created shouldn't be a problem in and of itself15:14
cyphermoxno, just needs someone to push buttons15:14
rbasakIs this a TB thing?15:15
jbichacyphermox: I saw a pastebin but not an email from you with the packageset15:15
rbasakIf so we have the file-a-bug-and-post-to-the-ML process15:15
micahgthe issue isn't the packageset but whether or not we wanted to give packageset VS PPU rights15:16
sil2100The vote was for PPU rights15:16
sil2100And this has been granted15:16
sil2100It's a separate topic IMO15:16
sil2100We want to create the packageset now for future people that want to contribute to budgie15:17
jbichafor clarity, I wanted to see the proposed packageset and I dont think it's a problem to create the packageset before we have someone to use it15:17
micahgthat's fine15:17
jbichaI think we agree that there would be a new application and vote required for anyone to have upload rights for that packageset15:18
jbichacyphermox: can I give you an action item to send the packageset email? and then we can move on to the next topic?15:19
sil2100+1 on that15:20
jbichawell we can come back to that if needed when we discuss Any Other Business later15:22
jbicha> sil2100 to grant ddstreet SRU permissions (done)15:22
jbichaand rbalint was granted Core Dev permissions15:22
jbichaso no further action is needed there15:22
jbicha#topic PPU Application for osomon15:23
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: PPU Application for osomon
jbichaEach applicant should introduce themselves (1-5 sentences) and provide links to their Ubuntu Wiki page. After the introduction the members of the Membership Review Board will review the pages and, if needed, ask the applicant further questions.15:23
jbichaDuring this time it is encouraged for other members of the community to show their support for the applicant. Do not be alarmed if the members of the Developer Membership Board are quiet during this time; they are most likely reading wiki/launchpad/forum/other pages and deciding how they are going to vote.15:24
jbichaoSoMoN: can you introduce yourself?15:25
oSoMoNI'm Olivier, I'm part of the Canonical desktop team15:25
oSoMoNmy main duties these days are the maintenance of chromium-browser and libreoffice15:25
oSoMoNboth ubuntu packages and snaps15:26
oSoMoNmy PPU application is at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OlivierTilloy/PPUApplication15:26
oSoMoNI work on chromium-browser on a daily basis, hopefully my application makes sense15:26
jbichaI'm not familiar with how Ubuntu snap uploads work, do you currently need sponsorship for those?15:26
oSoMoNno, no sponsorship needed for those15:27
oSoMoNthere's a shared account in the store for snaps maintained by canonical15:27
jbichahmm, that's interesting15:27
oSoMoNand I'm a collaborator to that account, so I have upload rights for the LO and chromium snaps15:27
jbichainteresting that snap upload rights don't go through the traditional upload rights application process, but I guess that's off-topic for right now15:29
jbichadoes anyone else on the DMB have any questions for the applicant?15:30
rbasakoSoMoN: could you give us an example of when it may not be appropriate to upload to the archive please?15:30
sil2100oSoMoN: recently you have sent a libreoffice SRU through sponsors with a wrong version number (the same as for the devel series) - could you explain why that happened?15:31
oSoMoNrbasak, for instance during a freeze15:31
oSoMoNsil2100, the SRU had been prepared before the corresponding version was in bionic15:32
oSoMoNthat was a mistake of course15:32
rbasakoSoMoN: OK, and if during a freeze you felt an exception was warranted, what would you do? Feel free to choose an illustrative example rather than trying to exhaustively cover every possibility.15:33
oSoMoNI would first question whether that exception is really needed, if e.g. it can't be made a 0day SRU15:34
oSoMoNif not I would seek confirmation with the release team15:34
oSoMoNand I would be particularly watchful of possible regressions15:35
rbasakOK. Do you know where the documentation is that will tell you if we are in a freeze, and for the (formal; not necessarily required) process to seek an exception from the release team?15:36
oSoMoNhttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseSchedule for the release schedule and freezes15:37
oSoMoNand https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess15:37
rbasakOK thanks you. One final question. After a particular upload, can you summarise your subsequent responsibilities?15:38
oSoMoNtest out of -proposed, and once the package migrates monitor closely bug/crash reports15:39
oSoMoNand act on them asap15:40
oSoMoNmonitor autopkgtest runs, too15:40
oSoMoNand before all that, verify that the package builds fine in -proposed15:40
jbichaIn your experience, are all chromium-browser SRUs treated as security updates?15:41
rbasakOK thanks. I'm ready to vote.15:41
rbasakFTR, I don't expect anyone to test from devel -proposed specifically. Just take responsibility for it migrating and for any regressions.15:42
micahgoSoMoN: can you please explain why chromium has unusual versioning in the suffix?15:42
oSoMoNjbicha, yes, all major chromium updates contain security fixes, and as such go through a validation process by the security team15:43
oSoMoNmicahg, the last number in the versioning is the bzr revision number in the packaging branch15:43
micahgoSoMoN: is there a reason for that?15:43
oSoMoNmicahg, I took over chromium packaging back in April and that was like that already, didn't feel a need to change/question it15:44
oSoMoNI'm certainly open to suggestions15:45
* micahg wonders who did that...15:45
oSoMoNI can imagine using the bzr revision number makes it easy to script the changelog generation for a batch of series15:45
jbichaI see that you maintain several chromium PPAs under your own name. I am a bit concerned that they are not maintained with a team15:46
oSoMoNit's a cheap way to ensure you always bump the version, no matter what the major version number is15:46
jbichabecause it doesn't allow anyone else to make uploads to those PPAs, and it's a problem if the primary Ubuntu Chromium maintainer changes (like happened earlier this year)15:47
oSoMoNjbicha, right, I've meant to transfer ownership of those PPAs to a team but never got around to doing it15:47
micahgoSoMoN: that's what the packaging version: XubuntuY(.Z)15:47
jbichaI see there is an existing team: https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily15:47
oSoMoNjbicha, I'm making a note to do that this week15:47
oSoMoNhttps://launchpad.net/~chromium-team too15:47
jbichaok, that one is probably better :)15:48
jbichaI'd like to try to wrap up this meeting this hour, so… last call for questions15:49
micahgoSoMoN: I would encourage you to use standard versioning, I but I can imagine as well someone scripting with that version15:50
oSoMoNmicahg, ack, I made a note to do that, I'll use the standard versioning scheme starting with the next upload15:51
rbasakFWIW, the git-ubuntu work attempts to encourage standardisation on this type of thing using the "lint" tool. It calculates the expected version, and complains if it is anything different. Which means that it has the code necessary for scripting to determine the expected version in a way that meets general Ubuntu developer expectations. We could expose that.15:51
rbasakI'm not sure it covers all the edge cases yet, but it's pure Python and has tests so it shouldn't be too difficult to add more esoteric cases.15:52
oSoMoNI'll need to migrate the packaging branches to git, too15:52
jbicha#voters cyphermox jbicha micahg rbasak sil210015:52
meetingologyCurrent voters: cyphermox jbicha micahg rbasak sil210015:52
jbicha#vote osomon to be granted PPU upload rights for chromium-browser15:53
meetingologyPlease vote on: osomon to be granted PPU upload rights for chromium-browser15:53
meetingologyPublic votes can be registered by saying +1, +0 or -1 in channel, (for private voting, private message me with 'vote +1/-1/+0 #channelname)15:53
meetingology+1 received from rbasak15:53
meetingology+1 received from micahg15:53
meetingology+1 received from jbicha15:53
meetingology+1 received from sil210015:53
jbichacyphermox: are you still here?15:54
sil2100I think we can anyway close the vote as the minimum number of positive votes has been reached15:55
meetingologyVoting ended on: osomon to be granted PPU upload rights for chromium-browser15:55
meetingologyVotes for:4 Votes against:0 Abstentions:015:55
meetingologyMotion carried15:55
sil2100oSoMoN: congratulations!15:56
jbichaoSoMoN: congratulations!15:56
jbichathank you for your work on Chromium and LibreOffice15:56
jbicha[TOPIC] Any Other Business15:57
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Any Other Business
oSoMoNsome good suggestions emerged from that conversation, thanks for the questions15:57
rbasakjbicha: can you assign actions to sort out oSoMoN please15:57
rbasakI'm happy to take them if you like.15:58
jbichaI can send the announcement email this evening15:59
jbicharbasak: could you take care of the ACL? I guess we need to file a bug with the Tech Board?15:59
oSoMoNshall I remove myself from the agenda?16:00
jbichaoSoMoN: I can take care of that, thanks16:00
jbicha[ACTION] jbicha to send out announcement email16:01
meetingologyACTION: jbicha to send out announcement email16:01
jbicha[ACTION] rbasak to handle ACL for osomon's chromium-browser upload rights16:01
meetingologyACTION: rbasak to handle ACL for osomon's chromium-browser upload rights16:01
jbichaThe next Developer Membership Board meeting is scheduled for Monday, December 4 at 19:00 UTC16:02
jbichathanks everyone!16:02
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds: Please leave swords by the door | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendars | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology
meetingologyMeeting ended Mon Nov 20 16:02:26 2017 UTC.16:02
meetingologyMinutes:        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-11-20-15.10.moin.txt16:02
micahgthanks jbicha16:02
oSoMoNthanks everyone16:02
ratliffSecurity team meeting time!16:32
meetingologyMeeting started Mon Nov 20 16:32:19 2017 UTC.  The chair is ratliff. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.16:32
meetingologyAvailable commands: action commands idea info link nick16:32
ratliffThe meeting agenda can be found at:16:32
ratliff[LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/Meeting16:32
ratliff[TOPIC] Announcements16:32
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Announcements
ratliffToday is Ubuntu Community Appreciation Day!16:32
ratliffMany thanks to our Ubuntu security community members for your assistance in keeping Ubuntu users secure! :)16:33
ratliffMore info at16:33
ratliff[LINK] https://community.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-community-appreciation-day-nov-20th/176216:33
ratliff[TOPIC] Weekly stand-up report16:33
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Weekly stand-up report
ratliffjdstrand: you're up16:33
jdstrandThis is a short week for me and I'll only be working Mon and Tue. I'll continue to focus on:16:34
jdstrand* followups on urgent issues that came up last week as needed16:34
jdstrand* snappy PRs16:34
jdstrand* pickup the ssh/gpg interfaces PR16:34
jdstrand* investigate/implement proper fix for hotplugged devices not being added to device cgroup (mir input forum issue)16:34
jdstrandmdeslaur: you're up16:34
mdeslaurI'm in the happy place this week16:34
mdeslaurI'm currently testing an embargoed issue16:34
mdeslaurand I have imagemagick to look at16:34
mdeslaurand another update to test16:34
mdeslaurthat's it for me, sbeattie ?16:34
sbeattieI'm on community this week.16:34
sbeattieI also have a short week, will be here through wednesday16:35
sbeattieI have an apport regression update to publish for ty hicks, and will likely have kernel updates to publish today/tomorrow16:35
sbeattieI'm working on the process for security triage for snaps16:36
sbeattieAnd I have some upstream apparmor work to do16:36
sbeattiethat's it for me....16:36
ratliffjjohansen is next. I'm not sure if he is around, so we will give him a minute to chime in if he is16:37
sbeattieno ty hicks, I don't see sarnold or jjohansen, chrisccoulson, I think you're up?16:37
chrisccoulsonI've got a chromium update to test, and I'm also expecting thunderbird16:38
chrisccoulsonI've got a regression to fix in Firefox (we dropped the "Ubuntu" token from the user agent string, oddly due to a change in the build system)16:38
chrisccoulsonI added a workaround to our rust package for 1.21 to get it to build, and there's a bug for that opened upstream by other distros (for around 1 month now) with no progress16:40
chrisccoulsonI thought I understood the issue but it turns out I don't, so I might spend a little bit of time trying to actually understand what's going on and then add my notes to the upstream bug16:41
chrisccoulsonbut I don't want to spend a lot of time on that16:41
chrisccoulsonFingers crossed I'll finally have time to do something unrelated to rust or firefox packaging this week16:41
chrisccoulsonI think that's me done16:42
chrisccoulsonAm I the only one who doesn't have a short week?16:42
ratliffsarnold: go ahead16:42
mdeslaurI don't have a short week16:42
mdeslaurmy week is painfully long16:42
leosilvame neither.16:42
sarnoldI'm in the happy place this week, also working only MTW, doing embargoed work, apparmor patch reviews16:42
sarnoldthat's it for me, ratliff?16:43
ratliffI'm on CVE triage this week. I'll test out the new process.16:43
ratliffI have a short week. :P16:43
ratliffI also have more internal work to try to finish up.16:44
ratliffleosilva: on to you16:44
leosilvaI'm the happy place this week.16:44
leosilvaI have some db updates to test (it's taking more time than what I want - selftests)16:44
leosilvaI also get python2.7 to update and will take a look in python3.* updates too.16:45
leosilvathat' all for me,16:45
leosilvaratliff: you are back16:45
ratliff[TOPIC] Highlighted packages16:45
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Highlighted packages
ratliffThe Ubuntu Security team will highlight some community-supported packages that might be good candidates for updating and or triaging. If you would like to help Ubuntu and not sure where to start, this is a great way to do so.16:45
ratliffSee https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/UpdateProcedures for details and if you have any questions, feel free to ask in #ubuntu-security. To find out other ways of helping out, please see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/GettingInvolved.16:45
ratliff[TOPIC] Miscellaneous and Questions16:46
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Miscellaneous and Questions
ratliffDoes anyone have any other questions or items to discuss?16:46
ratliffjdstrand, mdeslaur, sbeattie, sarnold, chrisccoulson, leosilva: Thanks!16:49
sarnoldthanks ratliff!16:49
jdstrandthanks ratliff :)16:49
=== meetingology changed the topic of #ubuntu-meeting to: Ubuntu Meeting Grounds: Please leave swords by the door | Calendar/Scheduled meetings: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendars | Logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs | Meetingology documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology
meetingologyMeeting ended Mon Nov 20 16:49:16 2017 UTC.16:49
meetingologyMinutes:        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-11-20-16.32.moin.txt16:49
mdeslaurthanks ratliff!16:49
sbeattieratliff: thanks!16:49
leosilvathanks ratliff !16:52

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!