cweber10Hello, sorry this is a linux box at school that I have runing irc inside screen so it is always connected. How are things going.01:43
nathwillhow you doing?01:57
cweber10Doing well. want the school term to be over.02:00
nathwillalmost there, eh?02:05
cweber10two more weeks. Counting finals week.02:06
nathwillfun times02:06
nathwilli'm resuming school in january after a 4 yr break02:06
cweber10I took most of 10 years off between my AA and going for my BS, this is my 2nd year on that but not my last.02:07
nathwillaight folks, running home from work, i'll be back for the meeting02:09
bkerensacweber10: Do you know Becka Morgan?02:18
cweber10Yep, takeing classes from her next term02:18
bkerensacweber10: Ahh she is teach a class about Ubuntu ;)02:19
cweber10that the one I am taking next term, I helped figure out how people without laptops are going to be able to use the lab computers for the class.02:21
bkerensacweber10: 0.0 people are taking CS courses without a laptop? :D02:22
cweber10Yea well desktops are cheeper and can be upgraded for playing games.02:23
cweber10But yes I find it a bit odd that that there are some who don't have laptops I could not think of going to school with out mine.02:25
bkerensaUbuntu Oregon November Meeting will start in roughly 19 minutes for those who are interested in lurking or participating [ Ping: adam_g bdmurray big_t Brian_H cweber10 dgibbons edunham el_seano Epitrope Guest28630 hypodermia jmmills Odysimus sbeattie slangasek tgm4883 TRAVISg tyman ]02:43
nathwillwhoo, made it02:48
bkerensanathwill: We need to get you some ZNC02:48
nathwilllucky, i almost chucked my laptop across the room... the bloody dvd tray front panel just fell off02:49
bkerensanathwill: Almost chucked it on purpose?02:49
nathwilli think my trip to snv did not make for a happy laptop...02:50
nathwillbroke the lcd bezel on the same side02:50
bkerensanathwill: I have vivid daydreams of snapping my laptop in half on a daily basis but then I think of the cost of replacing it02:50
bkerensahi jvlb02:50
nathwillfor the next 2 wks, if i do that i can get it replaced02:50
bkerensayeah so nathwill serious if you want a znc acct let me know02:52
bkerensajvlb same goes for you :D02:52
nathwillalright, bkerensa, it sounds like a good idea. :) hook me up.02:52
cweber10"Accidental" damage insurance for the win :P02:52
nathwillthanks :)02:52
nathwillcweber10: exactly. :) i worked for HP notebook escalation support, and my wife worked for Dell notebook returns/replacements dept, so we got the hookups02:53
nathwilli did a self-audit when i was working there, figured i'd issued $293,000 retail in replacement laptops02:54
cweber10Ahh yea, so that at Stream?02:55
nathwillyes cweber02:55
jvlb"znc acct" ?02:55
bkerensathere ya go nathwill your locked in on irc :P02:56
bkerensaok well gonna start this up here in just a couple minutes02:57
nathwilli'll fidget w/ it later02:59
nathwillit's doing the same silliness it did last time i tried to set this up meself02:59
bkerensaokie dokie lets do this02:59
bkerensaHello and Welcome to the November 2011 Ubuntu Oregon IRC Meeting. I'm Benjamin Kerensa, Team Lead of Ubuntu Oregon. I will now begin to introduce the agenda items ( https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OregonTeam/Meetings/CurrentAgenda ) we have for today.03:00
bkerensacancel that03:00
bkerensaI better start the meeting bot03:00
bkerensa#startmeeting Ubuntu Oregon November 2011 IRC Meeting03:00
meetingologyMeeting started Mon Nov 28 03:00:54 2011 UTC.  The chair is bkerensa. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AlanBell/mootbot.03:00
meetingologyAvailable commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired03:00
bkerensa#chair bkerensa nathwill03:01
meetingologyCurrent chairs: bkerensa nathwill03:01
bkerensaHello and Welcome to the November 2011 Ubuntu Oregon IRC Meeting. I'm Benjamin Kerensa, Team Lead of Ubuntu Oregon. I will now begin to introduce the agenda items ( https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OregonTeam/Meetings/CurrentAgenda ) we have for today.03:01
bkerensaBefore I begin with our Agenda I would like to thank everyone for attending03:01
bkerensa#subtopic Agenda: WOU Mentoring03:02
bkerensaAgenda Item # 1 - Per my announcement via mailing list I have initiated a "Call for Mentors" to help Mentor students at Western Oregon University whom will be taking a computer science course that focuses on contributing to a FOSS project. Assistant Professor Becka Morgan of WOU selected Ubuntu as the project to focus on for her course and as such reached out to me approximately a month or two ago to seek mentors. More information on the03:02
bkerensamentoring need can be found here: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us-or/2011-November/000342.html03:02
bkerensaDoes anyone have any questions, comments or discussion for this item?03:03
cweber10Have a few comments about what was in the e-mail.03:03
bkerensacweber10: The floor is yours03:03
bkerensacweber10: You said you have some comments about the item?03:06
cweber10I know the class is for 10 weeks starting Jan 9th and the class is going to be split into two labs that are going to be running at the same time. now that is the total time of the class so i am not sure how much she is going to be needing.03:06
cweber10sorry slow typeing03:06
bkerensacweber10: Yeah I'm still unsure of the format of the mentoring although she told me which topics she wanted covered in mentoring03:07
Guest28630A syllabus would certainly be enlightening.03:07
=== Guest28630 is now known as shirgall
bkerensa#idea Request Syllabus from WOU Asst Professor Becka Morgan03:07
=== shirgall is now known as Guest34864
cweber10Yea this is the first time the class has been done so not sure she has a syllabus ready yet or not03:07
jvlbPerhaps he's not quite ready.03:07
bkerensaWell I know I will help with Bug Triage and Doc and someone from the Gnome community also reached out shortly after I sent the e-mail and offered her help too so we got two people03:08
bkerensaI'm hoping that some Devs might step forward to offer even a small token amount of mentoring to this worthwhile task03:09
nathwilli'm in for documentation and triage03:09
cweber10Just wanted to be sure you had some idea of the number of people that where needed to mentor03:09
nathwilljust filled out the form.03:09
bkerensacweber10: Well that I do not know she told me she had 28 students that would need mentoring and they would be broken into groups of 1403:10
nathwillbtw people, bug triage and packaging is going to be focused on at the dec 3 debian/ubuntu local jam, so if you aren't feeling qualified in any of these areas, consider attending the meeting to learn!03:10
bkerensaI'm not sure that one person could handle mentoring 14 people03:10
Guest34864I have mentored before, the trick is to keep it structured.03:11
bkerensanathwill: Yeah... Hoping we can make the Dec 3/4 weekend event a big thing... Waiting on slangasek to shoot a e-mail03:11
cweber10I am guess there are 28 students that are in two groups, so you might get some overlap between the two groups as far as questions03:11
bkerensaGuest34864: Yeah03:11
Guest34864bkerensa: I hate it when Freenode decides my nick is unavailable. :(03:11
bkerensaGuest34864: Nickserv is your friend ;)03:12
nathwillghost is your friend03:12
Guest34864Nickserv says I'm identified, and then it renamed me Guest anyway.03:12
bkerensaWell I will try and discuss getting some more firm guidelines and structure surrounding the mentoring and will share her response03:12
Guest34864Anyway, on with the meeting.03:12
bkerensaAny further questions, comments or concerns regarding the WOU Mentoring?03:13
nathwilli'll just note that i'm pumped to be involved.03:13
tgm4883wow, it's 7:14 already03:14
bkerensa#action bkerensa will followup with Becka Morgan and share responses with Loco03:14
meetingologyACTION: bkerensa will followup with Becka Morgan and share responses with Loco03:14
bkerensaOk moving to next agenda item03:14
bkerensa#subtopic Agenda: Announce Ubuntu Oregon Web Admin03:14
bkerensaAgenda Item # 2 - I'm proud to announce that I have appointed Ubuntu Oregon Contributor Cody Smith (c_smith) as the new Web Admin for Ubuntu Oregon which means he will lead contributions surrounding our website and wiki and will also assist in administrating our Facebook page (and G+ page when it supports multiple admins)03:14
bkerensaAny questions, comments or concerns regarding Cody Smith as Web Admin?03:15
nathwillthank you cody :)03:15
bkerensa#action nathwill thanks c_smith03:15
meetingologyACTION: nathwill thanks c_smith03:15
bkerensaok I will move to the next item03:16
bkerensa#subtopic Debian/Ubuntu Local Jam03:16
bkerensaAgenda Item # 3 - Although this has yet to be announced (waiting on slangasek to make it official) Ubuntu Oregon will be working closely with local Portland Debian Developer community to hold a Ubuntu/Debian Local Jam focusing on bug fixing, packaging and more during the first weekend of December. More details on this event will likely be announced jointly on Monday.03:16
bkerensaAny questions, comments etc on this event?03:17
nathwillfyi: it's downtown at puppet labs03:18
bkerensaI will note for the meeting minutes that I was able to secure venue from PuppetLabs and that tomorrow morning I will be following up with Rentrak and Taos to see about potential food sponsorship03:18
bkerensaI believe the Debian folks will be providing the EC2 instances for building packages etc03:19
jvlbYou have my unreserved support.03:19
bkerensawith that I think I will move to the next item but expect a announcement on ^ tomorrow03:19
bkerensa#subtopic Agenda: Documentation Clinic03:20
bkerensaAgenda Item # 4 - I will be holding a Ubuntu Documentation Clinic In-Person & Virtually in January in which I will provide a education/training opportunity on how to contribute to the Ubuntu Documentation Team and how to become familiar with bazaar and various terminal based text editors.03:20
bkerensaOne thing that our 2011 survey revealed was a lack of education opportunities for Ubuntu Oregon LoCo members as such I'm going to bat to change this by holding a Documentation Clinic in January03:21
bkerensaany questions, comments etc?03:21
bkerensafyi: Date/Time Venue TBD03:22
jvlbI'd try to attend.03:22
nathwillditto here03:23
bkerensaI guess I will move on unless there is anything further on this?03:23
bkerensa#subtopic Agenda: December Meeting03:24
bkerensaAgenda Item # 5 - [ December Meeting ] Due to the hectic nature of the holiday season it may be impossible for me to chair a meeting in December since I will be out of state and likely busy the weeks prior getting stuff done for that trip. If anyone is available to chair a meeting and would like to then that would be great otherwise we could move to not have a meeting in december.03:24
nathwilldo we have a date in mind?03:24
jvlbThe end of December is a tough time to try to line things up. I move we forgo the December meeting.03:25
bkerensanathwill: End of month is usually when we have our meetings but it could be at the convenience of anyone who would like to chair03:25
bkerensaI second jvlb's motion03:25
bkerowhat motion is that?03:25
bkerensabkero: To forgo a December Meeting03:25
nathwillso, i have a big stretch of time in the last week of the month off (corp holiday), and would be available if we want to go ahead.03:26
nathwillbut can we get a quick census of who thinks they might actually make it if it were, say dec 30?03:26
nathwilldec 31 is obviously a terrible day for it03:26
* bkerensa would not be able to... I will be mobile before christmas and until after03:27
bkerensaand I'm doing a self-imposed technology embargo on myself03:27
nathwilldoing alaska?03:27
bkerensawell so far I show a majority for forgoing a december meeting03:28
bkerensanathwill: Can we have your vote03:28
nathwillunless somebody speaks up, sounds like there wouldn't be enough interest to merit it03:29
bkerensaLast call for anyone interested in a meeting +1 if you want a meeting if not we will forgo03:29
bkerensaOn 503:30
nathwillaight. no dec meeting.03:30
bkerensaDone.. We will forgo December meeting and will announce Jan meeting via mailing list consistent with prior months03:30
bkerensaUnless anyone has any other items to discuss? I noticed a few OSU LUG and OSU OSL people popped in03:31
bkerensaOk.... With that I adjourn this meeting03:32
meetingologyMeeting ended Mon Nov 28 03:32:17 2011 UTC.03:32
meetingologyMinutes:        http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-us-or/2011/ubuntu-us-or.2011-11-28-03.00.moin.txt03:32
bkerensanathwill: ?03:32
nathwillquick word anyways03:32
nathwilllike i noted at the release party, i've started discussing a topical discussion around ubuntu at Yahoo!  in hillsboro.03:32
bkerensanathwill: Oh yes.... How is the progress on that? :)03:33
nathwillneed a solid date.03:33
nathwilli'm thinking jan 28, but wanted to gauge interest/availability for that time of year03:33
nathwillprogress is good, i need to have details before they'll approve it03:33
bkerensanathwill: Well the question is..... What would be expected aside from the ubuntu talk?03:34
bkerensaWould we need food sponsorship etc?03:34
nathwilli'm working on that ;)03:34
bkerensaoh ok03:34
nathwilldepends on who else is dipping into the budget for the month03:34
nathwillgood news is jan is not a big holidy month, and a new year03:34
bkerensaWell if I don't have to seek any sponsorships I'm pleased :P03:35
nathwilli bet :)03:35
bkerensaJanuary 28th sounds like a good date to me tentatively03:35
nathwillok, one of the things with that is that there's probably going to be Yahoo!'s who're not currently involved in Ubuntu attending to explore the topic. i'm not sure if we should go with a general overview of Ubuntu, or an in depth tech talk03:36
nathwillif things go well, this could be something we repeat periodically, so we may get more than one shot.03:36
* bkerensa would attend definitely and I'm optimistic that a good turnout would occur but that is hard to gauge and my experience has been that when there is a free food or something it sweetens the deal03:36
* nathwill nods03:37
bkerensanathwill: Well we could due a general overview of Ubuntu and then aim at a follow up of more in-depth03:37
nathwillok, i'll put jan 28 forward to the site mgmt as a date.03:37
nathwilland i agree, i think an overview of ubuntu would be a good place for a first meeting03:37
bkerensaIf I have enough notice I can solicit Canonical for some official press cd's or ask someone locally who works for Canonical to do the same03:37
nathwillk, i'll email you confirmation as soon as i get approval for the event.03:38
bkerensanathwill: k then I will ping Canonical03:38
nathwillcool deal!03:38
nathwillthat's all i had to say.03:38
bkerensaGuest34864: Have you tried asking #freenode03:39
bkerensanathwill: Ok so whats up with your znc situation?03:39
nathwillit hates me03:39
Guest34864bkerensa: This only happens when I fiddle with my bip proxy :)03:39
jvlbCould I throw something out, not exactly an Ubuntu-related topic, but potentially relevant to free software?03:41
=== nathwill_ is now known as nathwill
nathwillscrew xchat autoconnect03:43
bkerensajvlb: Yeah03:44
bkerensafeel free03:44
jvlbI'll presume to elaborate. I've been attending the infrequent State of Oregon eGovernment Portal Advisory Board meetings. To make a long story short, the state is under the gun to find a new host for Oregon.gov, but seems to be giving little consideration to free software in its solutions.03:46
bkerensajvlb: Sadly this is the case with governments in the U.S.03:48
nathwilljvlb: are we staging a FOSS sit-in?03:48
bkerensaeven though many cities, states and countries have embraced FOSS and saved insane amounts of money03:48
bkerensanathwill: OccupyOregon.gov03:48
jvlbContinuing, they are all but locked in to a company called NIC, about which I have been able to learn relatively little. They have a number of states they provide services to, but I've not found out much about what technologies they base their solutions on.03:48
nathwilljvlb: this sounds very interesting, but i have to bail. if you don't mind i may contact you for more info later03:49
=== nathwill is now known as nathwill_away
bkerensajvlb: I have had this idea in the back of my head about going to the City of Portland council meetings and testifying about FOSS03:50
bkerensaand asking that the council members use Linux for all their daily work for a entire day03:50
bkerensaI would love to see Oregon local gov embrace FOSS more... I would also like to see schools using atleast a few linux desktops per computer lab03:52
jvlbOkay. Anyway, the NIC website is www.egov.com and I'm going to keep going to the meetings and asking questions.03:52
jvlbI believe public institutions should both employ open source software solutions and contribute to their projects.03:54
jvlbWell, it's been real. Later, all.03:57
=== Guest34864 is now known as shirgall
nathwillmorning c_smith17:27
nathwillhow goes?17:27
c_smithnot bad, finally getting the bags Greyhound lost,17:39
nathwillthat's good17:39
c_smithyep, the bags they lost held most of my jeans, a lot of my shirts, a lot of other stuff, and my Ipod transfer/charge cable.17:40
c_smithwithout the Ipod transfer/charge cable, it's just another useless piece of hardware that I can't charge until I get another cord.17:41
nathwillyeah, srsly17:42
c_smithanywho, have you heard of the Humble Introversion Bundle?17:43
c_smithbrb, switching to Unity17:46
nathwillc_smith, yes17:48
* c_smith is back after having to pull out money for a taxi ride to the Greyhound station19:05
c_smithso, back to my question: has anyone here heard of the Humble Introversion Bundle?19:19
nathwillc_smith, yes19:32
c_smithlooks like a good set of games, no?19:33
nathwilli can certainly vouch for aquaria19:33
nathwillit's fantastic19:33
c_smithsorry for the late response, had to pick up some stuff.19:33
c_smithyeah, thinking about getting it today.19:34
c_smithor tomorrow, whichever is possible.19:34
c_smithand then getting Frostmourne on Dethpod on World of Warcraft.19:34
c_smith*Shadowmourne, not Frostmourne19:34
c_smithbkerensa, any date on the next IRC meeting? I'd like to know so I can get the Wiki page edited accordingly.19:35
nathwillhas anyone checked on desura?19:36
bkerensasorry guys handling a bit of a issue (Identica decided to spam my twitter connection all night so I have hundreds of tweets to delete)19:37
c_smiththe Linux client? I tried the beta.19:38
c_smithbkerensa, ah, take your time, no rush19:38
bkerensac_smith: And we dont have one scheduled (there wont be one in December)19:39
c_smithbkerensa, I'll add that to the Wiki then, and the FB page.19:39
c_smithnathwill, do you know if it's true that the Desura linux client went to stable?19:40
nathwillthat's the word19:40
nathwilli'm tempted to check it out19:40
c_smithI'm downloading it now.19:40
c_smithnathwill, if you want, I can give you my two cents on it when it's done installing.19:41
nathwillhoping it'll work w/ debian squeeze19:42
c_smithno clue, it works with Ubuntu 11.10 real nicely.19:42
bkerensawhat is desura?19:42
bkerensanathwill: You use Debian? :) Wow I know Debian Devs who dont use Debian :P19:43
nathwillbkerensa, desura is like steam19:43
nathwilli don't use stock debian19:43
nathwilland i have backports turned on, and the moz repos added so i can has modern browser/mail client19:43
c_smithbkerensa, like nathwill said, it's like steam, it's a game delivery client.19:44
bkerensadesura hmm interesting :D19:47
c_smithnathwill, looks to be stable, but it's not too much different from the beta, which is good, as the beta worked extraordinarily well for being a beta19:48
c_smithI know what company is getting my money when I buy games from an online store, and it isn't Steam or Origin (from EA)19:49
c_smithalso, might be getting a nice computer for free (the person who owned it is dead and the spouse doesn't want it.)19:49
c_smithfrom what I hear, it's a really nice Desktop19:50
nathwillhopefully you weren't too close to this person19:50
nathwilli had a really hard time going through and doing a data recovery from the pc of a dear friend who'd died19:50
c_smithmeh, I don't even know them19:50
c_smiththe person is my foster father's sister.19:50
c_smithI only know what I know from him, and I hear she was really nice, along with the rest of his surviving family19:51
c_smithbut before I even consider taking it, I'm going to look over it myself so I know what I'm getting into. don't want a repeat of what happened with my Laptop.19:52
c_smithnathwill, I'd consider getting the latest Desura client, it's on the stable branch, and is obtainable by anyone, if you want, I could look up the Debian compatibility of Desura.19:53
nathwillhehe, well if someone's offering to do my work for me...19:54
c_smith1st reason you know you are a Linux fanatic: You say stable branch referring to anything going stable.19:54
nathwillhow can i say no!19:54
c_smithI'm seeing a Debian logo on the Desura Linux group, so that's one reason leading me to believe it's compatible, still scouring Google for a concrete answer, though19:57
c_smithhmmmm, Google provides no concrete answers, but it comes in a  binary installer (desura binary) so it should run on most distros, only fallback is it's x86 only.19:59
nathwillurgh. cyber monday joy21:39
* c_smith is back from picking up the bags from Greyhound.21:57
c_smithseems the main Getdeb and Playdeb repos are still down.22:12
nathwilli blame cyber monday22:15
adam_ganyone see any good deals on a core i7 mobo+cpu bundle?22:16
c_smithI couldn't say I've even looked.22:19
adam_gthis phenom isn't cutting it anymore :|22:20
c_smithbkerensa, what do you use to add people to Tomahawk22:31
bkerensac_smith: You go to preferences and add them23:02
bkerensaslangasek: Any news on the jam?23:02
slangasekbkerensa: email sent23:19
slangasekbkerensa: actually, the post is held in the moderator queue on ubuntu-us-or@lists ;)  Who can moderate that?23:23
bkerensaslangasek: It was pushed23:24
bkerensaslangasek: Never did hear anything back from Rentrak or Taos.... Maybe it was just to short notice23:30
bkerensaI wish Brian_H was about I could maybe talk to him about Linbit sponsoring some food23:32

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.7 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!